Speaker 1: Hey, Ty, who do you think would win in a fight between Cloud Strife and Mickey Mouse? Oh, uh, Cloud Strife? You think so? Isn't he a bit of a chicken wuss? Wait, isn't that the other game? I think that's the other game. All games are the same now. We mash them all together. Oh, okay. Okay.
Speaker 2: So then, wait, which one is the one with the tail? Oh wait, I guess they all have tails now. You've got Fun Factor, two old gamers reviewing old video game magazine reviews. I'm Ty Schalter, he's Aidan Moher, and we are two professional writers who grew up loving the video games and video game magazines of the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s. Every episode, we take a critical look back on the games media that, for better and for worse, inspired us to do what we do. First, go to funfactorpod.com and follow the show on your podcatcher of choice. Leave us a rating review on iTunes, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. We will read the best, kindest, funniest, and most insightful ones on the air in our letters section. And please consider becoming a member of Fun Factor Ultra, our premium tiers that unlock ad-free episodes, bonus episodes, and the members-only channels of our Discord. Just go to funfactorpod.com. I promise you, you cannot miss the sign-up widget on our homepage. Then help us spread the word. Shout us out on Blue Sky at funfactorpod.com. and everywhere else at FunFactorPod.
Speaker 1: Okay, Ty, last episode we spent a lot of time talking about movie tie-ins and how they were kind of like dragging down the games industry around this time in sort of the early aughts. We're in October 2002 at this point. But as we also pointed out on the episode, there were a lot of really great media crossovers and tie-ins throughout games history, even if they weren't necessarily all happening online. in the early aughts. Nowadays, we have great stuff like 007, First Light, Indiana Jones, the Spider-Man games. We have tie-ins that aren't even movie related. Like we were just on the Discord talking about Guardians of the Galaxy and how the game is supposed to be fantastic. And it's not even based off the movie version, which are also really good. So today I want to talk about like one of the best media tie-ins of all time. But we're going to save that for the review. Before that, I want to know what are some of your favorite media tie-ins?
Speaker 2: If we just go across the whole timeframe of video games ever, there's so many, and I've mentioned a few of them before. I really liked the Batman for the original Game Boy. X-Men, was it Children of the Atom? I think that was a Genesis game that my best friend had. We played that a bunch. And again, comic books, we were super into X-Men at the time. So having any kind of comic.
Speaker 1: Book thing, it was weird because it's like we were already.
Speaker 2: Like, any mention of video games and normal people media was like, wow, like video games, people are respecting video games, but then getting into comic books in like, you know, 90, 91, 92, 93, it was like, wow, comic books are being legitimized by video game adaptations. Um, uh, maximum carnage. I know I've mentioned before, uh, the super Nintendo game that again was more awesome than like good, uh, Actually, it was fine, but it was like 11 of 10 presentation, like four or five, 10 execution, you know. And you already mentioned the Spider-Man games, you know, with PlayStation. Now you jump way forward ahead. I've been trying to think of ones in the middle that, you know, that kind of scratched that itch of this is a fun game to play and it's a property that I like, or it's just a property that I like. I think the first Jurassic Park platformer was pretty good. Um, again, for Sega systems that I did not own, but had friends who had, you know.
Speaker 1: The Super Nintendo Jurassic Park game was one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: Uh, that was very good first person stuff. But again, for that matter, the Disney Aladdin and Lion King ones, especially Aladdin.
Speaker 1: Lion King was a little sauce. It was a little hard. Aladdin. Aladdin was fantastic on Super Nintendo. Lion King cheated. Yeah. But yeah, for sure. For sure.
Speaker 2: Um, and I'm sure I will think of one as soon as I toss it back to you.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to toss it back to you. I think like one of the high watermarks for a media crossover was, um, X-Men versus street fighter in the arcades. Like, Oh, I'm not even a big fighting game fan, but like we played the crap out of that and seeing obviously street fighter, we were used to it, but seeing like Spider-Man and juggernaut Wolverine, like rendered at that level of detail in a fighting game was wild. Um, and like the way it worked perfectly was crazy, you know, like the way they were able to take the superheroes, put them in a game with, you know, like street fighter characters and make it all mesh together and not make it feel like, uh, you know, some were stronger than the other, like balancing all of that out worked really well. And then of course it's bond into like Capcom versus Marvel and all that kind of stuff. Uh, which was cool from that, but that like mushy middle, uh, place like actually right around this generation i suppose uh on the gamecube i really like the adaptation of the hobbit um i don't know if you ever played it i don't even know again i don't know if it's good but it was one of the first times like obviously the movies were huge right now right but this was not based on the movie so this was like an adaptation of the book The Hobbit because the Hobbit movies hadn't come out yet. And so it was one of the first times that I could remember outside of the Lord of the Rings game on Super Nintendo, which I talked about last episode. But having like a book adapted into a video game, visualized into this video game with a lot of personality and character, exploring the settings in video games. And I had the same feeling when I played Lord of the Rings online a number of years ago. And I didn't play it, you know, for that long. But I started a Hobbit. and exploring the Shire was so cool. Um, and so getting to kind of like put myself into those worlds that had already always existed in my head was, was a lot of fun. Um, and then there were a lot, like just lots of like weird pool, like mascot platformers in the 16 bit era, like cool spot. Uh, like it's seven up platformer. That was actually good, you know, based on a Darren Hupke put a yo no aid. Yeah. Yeah, for sure. Oh, Sneak King. It was also mentioned in chat, which is wild, the Burger King games. But I think like one..
Speaker 2: Actually, I wanted to shout out the Star Wars, the N64 Star Wars Shadow of the Empire.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 2: Probably had the first real, you're the snow speeder and you take down the AT-AT.
Speaker 1: That really felt good.
Speaker 2: Um, they marketed it very heavily, you know, it was sort of like they built that level and went, Hey, look, all the rest of.
Speaker 1: This is great. Star Wars is interesting because it's almost like it it's grown so big. It's like a, it is a media empire in and of itself. It's not just movies anymore. Right. But back then it was now books. Uh, and like the, uh, pod racer on the 64 was also really impressive. Uh, can use a Ram kit to, um, have high res mode and stuff or like extra frames per second. It's like, digital foundry stuff like DLSS like in, you know, 1999 or whatever. Um, which was cool. Uh, so star Wars is a, is a good pull. There's so many interesting, uh, star wars games out.
Speaker 2: There darren says uh in the chat shadows was cool because they made it an event out of it without a movie and that was genuinely very cool but it was also kind of funny because they're pulling from the you know the novels the eu stuff right so it was like the back of the box was like now you can be dash rendar and i'm like great okay cool but it legitimately did you know it was and i mean and then like with star wars again there were the um What, Jedi Outcast?
Speaker 1: Is that? No, that's the new one. What are the Jedi Academy games or whatever? The first-person games on the PC. Sort of in the post-Doom quake world, there were some great first-person Star Wars games. But again, these are all old, and it is sort of during this mushy middle where I think I start to have trouble thinking of media tie-in games that I really like.
Speaker 2: Right, because just the fact that there is a video game adaptation itself... isn't good enough to get you exactly. And of course, as we've, as we've read these reviewers, if you're paying any attention to games media, these reviewers were absolutely vicious to movie tie-ins because they were often terrible. Uh, but now you have this, just being able to play star Wars as a video game itself, doesn't sell a video game. Just being able to play an IP as a video game, doesn't sell it.
Speaker 1: It had to be good. And, um, We also are now two, three generations. This is still Spider-Man.
Speaker 2: It's so funny because there are so many Spider-Man games. And it wasn't until the Sony Spider-Man for PS4 that web swinging actually felt good. I think I had the Dreamcast Spider-Man one where they just went, look, the doctor, whoever has put a whole bunch of. Poison fog around the city. And that's why we're just going to draw the top 10 stories of every skyscraper in New York. And it's not because we don't have a polygon.
Speaker 1: To render the cars and the people walking around down below.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And I was like, this feels terrible. This looks terrible. They're trying it, but they're not there yeah uh and i mean that's also i think the way i look back at this era as well outside of like the gamecube i feel like nintendo kind of knew what they were doing with the gamecube but it was such a like we had jumped to 3d with the playstation figured out a lot there but the playstation 2 is when we went started to go like full polygonal right like most playstation games were A mixture, a blending of the two outside of like Vagrant Story, Panzer Dragoon, Sega and stuff like that. And so the PlayStation 2, I think also like, I don't know, they just, I just don't think it necessarily, I think in some ways like, it bit off more than it could chew in a lot of ways. And so making something like a Spider-Man game is like, oh, you probably should have made a Spider-Man game like you would make it on the PlayStation, but just not, just better. Rather than being like, hey, we have all this power, now we can make New York. Before we..
Speaker 2: By the way, we are being corrected.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Extremely uh violently in chat that the spider-man 2 uh movie tie-in on ps2 xbox gamecube felt fantastic looked fantastic so try that one many many stands for that.
Speaker 1: That's cool i didn't play that one but um before we kind of move on to i just want to shout out um the fact that there were also like random um book tie-in games that were kind of range from good to not great at all but like there was a disc world point and click adventure uh which i've never played oh yeah but apparently it's very hard there was a wheel of time game it's crazy hard.
Speaker 2: I played a ton of this world in fact um my friends my friends trolled me very hard because i showed them i'm like this is so cool i had never i had never read the books but i'd heard about them and i got it and it was like it was very funny it was like all so much eric heidel Doing the voicing of Rincewind. And it was really fun. The writing was fantastic. It's really pretty.
Speaker 1: Tons of cool stuff.
Speaker 2: And then also. Almost all of the puzzles are outrageously obscure. Many of them rely on. Inside jokes from the books. That you're supposed to know.
Speaker 1: That I didn't.
Speaker 2: And I never got out of act one. And then my friends trolled me.
Speaker 1: By getting.
Speaker 2: Printing off a walkthrough from GameFAQs. And like, they knew I was coming over. So I came downstairs and they're like, like the act three screen.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no. I'm like, what are you guys doing?
Speaker 2: And they're like, cause I loaned them my copy and they're like, oh yeah, no, this is, this game's really easy.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what the fuck are you talking about? I was so upset.
Speaker 2: And then, uh, it was like the next time I came over, I saw someone had left the walkthrough on like a bookshelf or something.
Speaker 1: I'm like, jerks. Yeah. That's so good. I love it. Um, then there's like, the other way where games, like you were saying, comic books being legitimized by games and then games being legitimized by other medium, like in other mediums, because we have like the God of War TV show coming out. We have stuff like The Last of Us, which from what I understand, at least the first season was really good. One of the cool ones in Japan, you get a lot of like media tie-in stuff, but the Suikoden series, there's like a stage play of Suikoden 2 that has like been, produced in Japan, which is just amazing, uh, to me, but I think, uh, you know, the game we're going to talk about today, which is kingdom hearts is kind of like the media tie-in game that I can think of because it didn't try to copy its source material. It came out and tried to do something new, which just brings it into that upper tier, especially because it's good. At least the first two are very good. The rest are like, your mileage may vary. But the concept of making an RPG combining Disney and Final Fantasy is just like, that should not have worked, Ty. No. Should not have worked. No, it shouldn't have. And rules. How does it get off the ground? Who pitches it? Who greenlights it? Who says yes?
Speaker 2: How do we get both of these companies at this juncture?
Speaker 1: Not just both of these companies, but Disney. Like, yes, that's crazy. And I feel like there must be like Square must have like they convinced Nintendo to give them Mario. Right. And like if they're like, who are the two most protective like IP protective companies on the planet is Nintendo and Disney. So they're like, hey, we got Mario. See if we can get Disney.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Which is which is pretty fun. But we will get to Kingdom Hearts later because, you know. I think that it's easy to get mired in all the mistakes and all the bad tie in stuff that go both ways. Like there are bad TV adaptations and movies like video game movies were like a laughing stock. uh, for ever, right? Like there's so many bad resident evil movies. They even cover one in this issue. Um, and talk about it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Um, just like in the rumors section, but like the new Zach Kreger resident evil movie, it looks so good. And again, because it's taking ideas from the series and it's creating something new out of them. Right. Um, by the way, that's really important. How to do the wrong way of this.
Speaker 2: Go watch just void burgers, two and a half hour movie on, um, The Silent Hill 2 movie.
Speaker 1: Because it's terrible.
Speaker 2: She does a brilliant job deconstructing every single little thing they got wrong, which was almost everything. And adaptation backwards and forwards from video game to movie, movie to video game, right? Like, so much of it right now, especially for audiences in a post-MCU world, Minecraft world, right, is like, oh, make sure thing appears on screen and the audience goes..
Speaker 1: I recognize thing. And like, that's good. Like, no, that's not good.
Speaker 2: If it's doesn't have any, if it doesn't hit the same way, if it doesn't, if it's not motivated the same way, if it doesn't mean what it means in the game, in.
Speaker 1: The original property, right?
Speaker 2: Like to actually adapt something means you actually have to have a sense of what the thing is and why the scenes and characters and iconography and, and whatever are in there and what they mean.
Speaker 1: You can't make an adaptation that's just trying to get the Leonardo DiCaprio pointing gif over and over. Because that's what the second Mario movie especially does. And all it wants you to do is be like, hey, hey, look, look, look, look, look. And it's just not very satisfying. But that kind of has the MCU, the Marvel Universe stuff. And what you're describing has also led us to this place where there's the Fortnite-ification of everything. Where you can... You know, nowadays you can play as Meghan Markle and James Bond Jr. just by like coughing up some V-Bucks or whatever. And it's like every niche is covered. And I don't necessarily feel like that's a healthy place for media to go, period. Whether it's games or movies or anything. And I do think the MCU stuff is probably like the genesis of that. Like they put out that. absurd watch list for the new doomsday dude yeah movie is like 15 movies long and it's just like.
Speaker 2: No some of them are no shows like whole oh yeah watch like seasons one through three of like.
Speaker 1: What yeah no yeah and like an old x-men movie that like was bad and it's like man no thanks uh but what do you see where do you see this going like the future media tie-ins in the game space not just adaptations to video games but the other way around as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fascinating because obviously I think the Minecraft movie, everybody's going to look at Minecraft, everybody's going to look at Roblox, right? When you look at, you know, as alphas age into teenagers with their own consumption habits and preferences and getting some walking around money, like we're just starting to. Grasp the concept that Z-ers are college kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Right. Like, Hey, there are like Z's who are adults. In fact, all three of my Z-ers are legal adults. Now the youngest goes.
Speaker 2: Off to college in like five days.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Um, so like they have disposable income, they have their own space. I mean, my alpha gen kid, like my eldest is going to be able to drive in a couple of years. Like, you know, it's like it happens.
Speaker 2: It's also funny seeing the internet sort of bend towards, you know, people are going, Oh, you zoomers love like your six, seven and your skibbity toilet.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, no, that's alpha stuff. Yeah. And they don't like it anymore. It's like, no, yeah. And those are old examples, right? Yeah, exactly. But like, it's just funny how, like how fast it moves through younger generations. But I mean, like as millennials, we've been blamed for everything, right? Like true. Everybody blamed millennials for everything. And it's like, man, like, do you know that millennials are like, 38 years old and have like kids.
Speaker 2: Now like yeah i i so what i'm kind of bringing that back around to is so what is what are their habits and expectations right like what when they're as they're getting into the upper high schoolers in a couple three years right just putting oh this is thing that you recognize on screen is that going to be enough for them Are they going to want that or are they going to want to do something completely different? You know, back groups, I think, is a really interesting case. What they're going to do with Resident Evil is a really interesting case. How much are they going to want to see just this is the thing that I know put in another medium? And how much are they going to want to see it transformed into something unique and cool and building off of it? I hope, obviously, it's the latter because that's what I think is cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And like, I mean, my kids play Minecraft. Uh, Roblox is a hardcore game. no in our house uh but their friends play a lot of it but the other thing too is like something like roblox is kids have an attachment to the games of the worlds that have been created within roblox but like you can't make a roblox movie that's going to hit on all those touchstones for all the kids the way you can um with Minecraft. Like I love the Minecraft movie because it did not take itself seriously, but like, I mean, I feel like, you know, maybe the daily wire tries to make a Roblox show. Um, but like, how do you do it and how do you reach into those cultural touchstones for kids that are just playing these forever games? Right. Like what does a fortnight movie look like? Because fortnight is just a bunch of like, it's like a tight gameplay loop wrapped around a visual package of like memes. um and so how do you make a movie out of that that's not just like a bunch of memes um it's tricky but i don't know uh so my eldest is super into the amazing digital circus and that got put in fortnight which means there's a whole bunch of like every emote uh there's a youtuber that did like every emote but like with the amazing digital circus characters that were in there and like oh okay so like this is just oh like an hour and a half Of literally just playing emote, emote, emote, emote, emote, because there's so much, right?
Speaker 2: So it's like they had to animate so much of it. And then also it's like they clearly parameterized some stuff and sometimes it makes sense and sometimes it doesn't. Like the character Jax has eyes that do like kind of wild things. And sometimes, so instead of like, you know, I'm guessing it's like small, medium, large, like eye.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It does like, so the eye geometry will just like completely freak out four times in a row.
Speaker 1: Right. in the middle of an expression for no apparent reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Or like on a more normal humanoid character that way, you know? So it's like, it's just really interesting to see as they try and pull things in and out of Fortnite, pull it in and out of Roblox, out of Minecraft, these IP platforms, you know, like sometimes that's cool transformative. Sometimes it's terrible transformative. And yeah, I, I just hope, I just feel like just being able to recognize the thing, just being able to name references and, just rattling off a hundred different things from a hundred different things.
Speaker 1: And, and.
Speaker 2: If you did your homework ahead of time, you're a smarter, better person who had a better time at.
Speaker 1: The movie or whatever. It's like, yeah, that that's.
Speaker 2: Not the direction of travel for transformative or adaptive works.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And like how much we are going quite long on this, but like, it makes me think of ready player one.
Speaker 2: I just was thinking that as I was saying it, I just was thinking it.
Speaker 1: Which like, I didn't really care for because it was just like nostalgia hit over nostalgia hit. And when they worked, it was fun for me. And when I didn't have any emotional attachment, like, I don't know what lady Hawk is, but it comes up in that book a ton. And so I was like, I'm clearly missing like a huge emotional beat in this movie or in this book. Uh, but I do wonder about how much as well, this all ties into like nostalgia, like post COVID nostalgia, uh, for a lot of people. Um, adults like we're seeing a revival of so many things from millennial like youth because they want to get to our kids through us and our nostalgia but then it's also like there i think there's so much pent up like desire for the stability that we remember from old media that i think drives a lot of this like crossover stuff and why something like you know fortnight can bring in all these characters and it's kind of silly but it works but like you know then bringing this back around the kingdom hearts, like you can see how you, you can find narrative conceits to bring final fantasy and Disney together. And it doesn't sound like it'll work, but you have people who are creative and driven and they can make it work in a, in a, you know, in a shared media space. But again, we will get to kingdom hearts later on when we get to the review, because I have many more thoughts on that. Can't wait.
Speaker 2: All right, well, it is time to open the cover and get into this issue. Finally, if you are not already a member of Fun Factor Ultra, getting ad-free episodes, just hang tight through the break. When we come back, we will flip through PSM 63 and its review of Kingdom Hearts right here on Fun Factor. Welcome back to Fun Factor, where two old gamers review old video game magazine reviews. Of course, we want you to review us.
Speaker 1: To get a full 5.0 in Fun Factor, leave.
Speaker 2: Us a review on Apple Podcasts, and we will read the best, funniest, kindest, and most entertaining ones on the air. And what is the deal with PSM?
Speaker 1: I think we're pretty familiar with PSM at this point. We are familiar with PSM's deal. You know, it's, quote unquote, the 100% independent PlayStation 2 magazine by this point. Uh, there's very little, if no coverage of the original PlayStation now by like the end of 2002. Uh, today we're going to look at, uh, number 63 from October, 2002. Cool. Uh, I was tempted to stay in January, 2002. Oh my gosh. I kept pulling me, pulling me through to the future. So we are in October. Uh, this issue has 132 pages with 15 different titles. games reviewed for one system. PlayStation 2. 132 pages was a bit beefier than I was expecting for PSM because it's always been a fairly slim magazine. Yes. With just 15 reviews as well, there's a lot of room for other content. The reviews are pretty big, but 15's not many. Unfortunately, that content is mostly ads. Ty, out of 132 pages, 76.5 of them are ads. 76.5. That's 58% of the magazine that you just paid $ 4. 99 for at the grocery store, or I paid $ 6. 99 for in Canada. That's a lot. A lot of ads. It's a lot of ads.
Speaker 2: And I believe, I think this is almost exactly the same number of pages as the last magazine we looked at, Edge 113, I think it was, that had 130 pages with zero ads.
Speaker 1: Zero ads. Zero ads.
Speaker 2: An enormous amount of like 10 point font text eight point font text like it was so much writing so much content we needed two hours to even.
Speaker 1: Flip through it all still had to skip stuff and we.
Speaker 2: Still had to skip a bunch of stuff we could have gone very long on so yeah over three oh my gosh 58 of the magazine being ads at 132 pages that's a lot.
Speaker 1: That's crazy okay but let's get into it here. The editorial like bio page, um, is right near the front of the magazine here. Uh, and so it kicks off with, of course, a letter from the editor, Chris Slate, who, uh, any fun factor listeners should be very familiar with at this point. Um, Chris Slate was around the industry for a long time through the nineties doing game players and stuff. Uh, Correct me if I'm wrong, but he moved on to Nintendo Power at some point, and I believe still works for Nintendo. Yes. And then in the Mastead, we have editor Stephen Frosty Frost, who we have talked about previously, and who, when we did PSM last time, found our episode, I think. Yes, that's right. Yes, that's right. That was fun. Which was fun. Randy Nelson, who has gone on to do quite a few other editorial video game projects. journalist stuff. Eric Bratcher, who I'll get back to in a second. Bill Donahue, the one and only Bill Donahue, who likes PolishPope.com and selling CDs, which sounds very Bill Donahue-esque. Is that Polish Pope? I'm afraid to Google it to find out.
Speaker 2: If it's Polish Pope, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It could go either way. I saw Polish Pope, which..
Speaker 2: If Bill Donahue is polishing his pope, I don't want to know about it.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Dan Fitzpatrick was the art director and Gary Lee was the associate art director. So two art directors out of, what, six editors. I was pretty familiar with a lot of these names, but Eric Bratcher stood out to me. So I pulled my best tie shulker and I started digging. digging around and found a bit on Bratcher and he left Future, PSM's publisher, around 2011 to help found GamesRadar as the founding editor-in-chief. GamesRadar Plus is somewhere I've written a couple times for as a freelance writer and I love it. It's always been one of the best places to write for and it's cool to see that he kind of went on to that. But he was there for six years or so before leaving for freelance consulting where he's worked on a whole bunch of boring stuff that I know about from my day job, like SWAT analyses. Oh, sure. Sure. And quote the occasional 300 page how to guide. Uh, he has done a lot of game work, freelance consulting work in the video game industry, but obviously a lot of just like copywriting and stuff yeah uh like that uh but but pretty good pretty good uh little career path there for a decade or so.
Speaker 2: For prayer yeah a lot of the haircuts here are standing out eric's got the classic butt cut yeah from the late 90s still hanging on back a little bit still hanging on yeah unfortunately bill donahue is close cropped and clean shaven which is not what we are used to from the game players days and dan patrick has kind of a like a hang up friends hangover like the ross a little bit here you know so it's yeah this is very interesting transitory period for for men's.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah not a great not a great time for hair for sure no uh i will not post pictures of my hair in 2002 Uh, the actual masthead is all the way back on page 128 at the end of the magazine. I'm not going to skip all the way back there because it just lists, uh, three contributing editors. Okay. Dan Ager, Jeremy, Jeremy Dunham, and Thomas Layton. But I couldn't help notice though, that on the masthead page, you can see future us's slogan, uh, Which at the time was, quote, media with passion. Which, in my experience, Ty, translates to media without budget.
Speaker 2: Which probably explains all the ads. Yeah, no, that makes sense, actually. That does make a little bit of sense. Or it's at least being allocated in different directions, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: CEO bonuses. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, because, you know, NextGen has just closed... But also the websites are taking off.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Because like imagine like the IGN is happening. Like, so I feel like some of the money is being pulled in some different directions and some of the talent and staff is being pulled in different directions.
Speaker 1: Right. Because we've now got official Xbox magazine where Mike Salmon is. Right.
Speaker 2: You know, so it's like they've closed a few magazines. They've opened a few others, opened, launched a few others. They're really pushing forward into the digital media space, which of course is fantastic. where they're going to end up with IGN.com being the last thing left that you could trace the breadcrumbs back to. This is what this huge video game publishing giant of the mid to late 90s and early to mid 2000s went.
Speaker 1: That's the remaining DNA of that place.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we could talk about the beginning, future, and past of Future US for quite a long time.
Speaker 1: I think it's time for the flip through. Okay, so like I said, today we're looking at PSM number 63. We're covering the review of Kingdom Hearts, but Ty, can you kick us off with a little word picture of the cover? Because Kingdom Hearts just gets a little slice of the pie here. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. So, PSM.
Speaker 2: Huge letters at the top. America's best PS2 magazine. It boasts, which is a funny boast, 100% independent PlayStation 2 magazine.
Speaker 1: And we have on the cover this couple... A very stylish.
Speaker 2: Black man and woman with lavender suit, slightly pinker dress, holding a martini. Guy's got a big, huge chain on under his like, this is kind of like Italian gangster slash Yakuza, like wide lapel suit coat with a much wider lapel open collar shirt. black shirt over at grand theft.
Speaker 1: Miami vice is where i was going but yeah i mean that is it's vice city it's miami vice right but like it's a little more because like don johnson right like he was wearing no.
Speaker 2: Collar shirts a lot of times under the light suits true you know uh so like this wide lapel is actually a little bit more 70s than 80s but hey it is what it is like this this is if you look at pics of my like grandpa and his my great uncle his brother You know, this is the kind of stuff the Italian men were rocking in the mid to.
Speaker 1: Late 70s as well.
Speaker 2: But yeah, all the pink, pink and black.
Speaker 1: Very cool. Very Vice City. I think this holds up really well. I think it's a fabulous cover. Yeah. I mean, this is going to be art that they probably got from Rockstar, right? Like it's key art from the game. We'll see it again, I believe, in the feature. But it's, you know, for the amount of text on here, for the amount of like... you know, other screenshots and all that kind of stuff. The like bold, like face on, like staring you in the eyes, uh, layout is really good. And the way that they tie the pink of her, um, dress into the like decks, the sub heads for all of the different areas. Like it just looks slick. It's cool. Really cool. What I think really stands out here to me is like, we have kingdom hearts and vice city and like, who knew? Like, 25 years later, however, however long this has been 24 years, like we'd be finally getting like long awaited sequels to both of these series. Right. Yeah. Wildly topical. Um, like kingdom hearts, like we were like, we're waiting on kingdom hearts for now in vice city. There's been how many since vice city, like four or five. Right. And now we're waiting on six. So it's like 24 years. And in both series, there's been like two mainline sequels.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And we're about to get the new ones, which is just kind of interesting synchronicity to me. Yeah. Even Final Fantasy XI, we're still only up to 16, right? Yeah. It's still only been five since this point. But yeah, pretty sweet cover. There's some fun little things. Under the PSM logo, it says unofficial, unbiased, and unrivaled. um i do like too that like the subhead for the vice city uh feature says quote over 20 smoking screens uh and i you know like pre-internet like you needed to get this kind of stuff right and we're seeing a lot of um leaks for grand theft auto 6 happening there's supposed to be an official reveal coming out very soon on netflix or something stupid like that uh but you know back then we were eager for anything and like 20 screens let alone like a long gameplay video. You would never get that, right? Like you were just using screens and how big, like we got 20 screenshots of, of Grand Theft Auto is, is pretty great. Uh, and then there's also a little teaser in the bottom corner, but, or then the bottom strip that, that calls out, uh, bone chilling screens of Silent Hill 3, uh, but then Square's secret RPG in Metal Gear 3, uh, which we'll get to in a little bit, but, uh, the fact that they were like hyping up Unlimited Saga, uh, makes me happy. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay, we're going to start the flip through on the very first page because I love this ad, Ty. On the right hand side, we have a completely black page and in bold, all caps, sans serif, it says PlayStation 2. Now online. And on the left, the big, like, hit you over the head image is like a wall plate for like a phone outlet plugin. But it has four outlets and they're shaped like the PlayStation... The PlayStation... The face buttons? Buttons. The face buttons. Triangle, circle, X, and square. Sorry, cross and square. And I don't know. Do you think that's Photoshopped? Or do you think they actually made something?
Speaker 2: No, it's definitely Photoshopped. Because you can see with the triangle, the circle, and the square. That's the same image I'm almost positive of.
Speaker 1: No, but like... No, it's... No way. It's different. Because look at how narrow... And close the ones in the circle compared to the square. But maybe in any case, if it's Photoshop, I'm quite impressed by how they did the X. But yeah, the X is incredible. The fabricate.
Speaker 2: That's the other thing is making that X plug would be so unbelievably difficult. I bet it's, I bet this plate is so good to plug in. I bet the wall plate is physical. And then they probably just edited it. the yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: That makes sense that makes sense for sure but it looks good like in this era of like ai slop like this is so.
Speaker 2: Clean and also good as i'm thinking about it notice that the triangle circle and square have the fins going like the the void is going up in right because i think that's what the end of the male connectors going into the wall looked like but the X, the cross, has the upraised pins that would connect into that. So that's actually, I think that's a tell there, is that they're looking to end on at one of the modem connectors of mail.
Speaker 1: Anyway, sorry, this is way too much. We could spend the whole episode looking at this, but it's fabulous. It's cool. It's really cool. If you're listening to the episode, pop on YouTube, just check out this section because it's a very cool ad. It looks really slick. Uh, so I, I, I did just have to stop there. I don't like to spend too much time on ads. Uh, but this one's pretty cool. Yeah. Uh, then we have like follow up. The next page, uh, is a huge ad for the PlayStation two modem. Uh, talking all about like, you know, the network adapter and getting online, showing off games, auto modalista, um, Tony Hawk pro skater for so calm twisted metal. Um, we're going to talk about fine when I see 11. later, but like just really selling the PlayStation as an online console. So the table of contents starts here on page six and it's like the opposite of what we saw in edge last episode time. It's like very busy, very colorful, tons of content, lots of screenshots, lots of art. Um, it's a little much, frankly, like it's, it's kinda like there's no room to breathe.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's it is bold it is you know it's graphical i think i think it works but it is definitely a little bit counter to the here's a picture of a thing here's a page number they all have subtitles and and explanation this is ratchet and clank this is silent hill 3 this is tony hawk 4 tony's.
Speaker 1: Back in a second.
Speaker 2: There's some explanation. It is busy, but I'm guessing this works better at full publication size in your hand.
Speaker 1: You know what? That's fair.
Speaker 2: But it is definitely not going for what some of the other magazines we've recently looked.
Speaker 1: At are going for. I think what ultimately makes it work is that on the left side, side of the second page is just like a black sidebar with like a pretty conservatively laid out table of contents with all the information. So like, yeah, the pullouts are all chaotic, but if you really want to find something fast, like you'll find it there in that sidebar. Uh, we're going to move on to page 10 because this is the start of PSN monitor this, the new section, uh, which has a, again, a huge feature on the PlayStation twos online capabilities. Um, really impressive stuff. Very like word dense, lots of writing on was what one screenshot, like a graphic that takes up a third of the page. And that's about it. Um, I know that you were a Dreamcast guy. Uh, so online was kind of old news to you by this point, but did you do online gaming on the PlayStation too? I, I actually don't. Let me rephrase that.
Speaker 2: I did, but it was not. It was not much. I probably did a little bit of Madden, maybe Need for Speed 2 Underground, but it was like not like the games just weren't there. It was a separate adapter you had to buy at.
Speaker 1: First.
Speaker 2: And yeah, just not enough games took advantage.
Speaker 1: Of it in a way that I was excited about.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I bought Final Fantasy 11, which I believe is the only way to get the network adapter, right? You had to buy Final Fantasy 11 and it came with a hard drive and the network adapter. So I bought that. I played it a fair bit and we'll actually get to Final Fantasy 11 in a little bit. But other than that, like I had the capabilities, but I never really did any online gaming on PlayStation. I had the, my computer for that kind of stuff, right? Like we've talked about how I was playing Doom, like Deathmatch over dial-up modem, like when I was a little kid. So like by this point, like, because I had grown up with computers online, wasn't really a novel to me. It was cool that consoles were going online. Um, but like the big draw of the X-Box was online stuff. And that had very little appeal to me. Um, I do like that. They are talking about how there's no web browser on the PlayStation two because, uh, the Dreamcast, you could get a web browser, actually own it, uh, somewhere it's over to my left in a drawer. I bought it recently. Um, but I do think like, you know, understanding that the web was more than just playing games was important. And so not having like a browser was a bit of a, bit of a dud, but really like, I think people were buying PlayStation play games or as a DVD player. It was a great DVD. That was, yes, yes it was. And that was the thing.
Speaker 2: It's like you, the web browser, the, the, The experience on that was terrible, right? Yeah, I guess that's true. It was very cool to have. It was not very cool to use. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you could plug a keyboard and mouse into your PlayStation 2, maybe that. Use the I.O. on the front. But on the right-hand side of this page, we also have the news feed, which is sort of like, you know, capsule style little news beats, uh, where it does talk about, uh, the resident evil sequel movie, um, which is pretty funny to Raider too. So it is talking about movie, uh, adaptations of video games. Uh, then we have square teases at kingdom hearts too. So kingdom hearts is being reviewed here. Yeah. And of course, like we're only just getting to kingdom hearts for next year. but already they're talking about, like, teases of Kingdom Hearts 2, but, like, if you read it, it's actually just some speculation on the first game's ending, which is, like, feels like it's kind of grasping a little bit. Yeah, it is. You know, obviously, now we can look back. We did get Kingdom Hearts 2. We know that, you know, like, it turned into this big, sprawling, crazy thing. So, like, yeah, the ending probably was enough to go off of, but I don't think necessarily that, like, the way they're reporting this as like news, um, is, is kind of weird. Um, but Hey, what can you do when you're only covering one console?
Speaker 2: You kind of have to like, you gotta make it.
Speaker 1: You kind of have to put in the, you know, what you've got. Uh, newsfeed continues on the, the next page with, uh, pharmacy 11 begins PC beta testing, Canada busts, mod chip seller. Uh, Sony says audios to pocket station and so on. But here we have first look at squares, uh, next rpg and it's unlimited saga which is more like a weird board game than a rpg uh yeah but i just i i it just makes me laugh because like just like people coming into sega frontier after playing fileman c7 and just desperate for something like that like square does the exact same thing and follows up fileman c10 with unlimited saga and you have this whole new generation of people who have just discovered rpgs and square and they're like i need the next fileman c10 And then it's unlimited saga, which is so good. Or just below that, uh, PS one remakes of the first two games coming out on the PlayStation one, which is really funny as well. Um, but fun times in, uh, in PlayStation land at this point, again, like you need to like fill the pages with news somehow. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But we are gonna, uh, Skip ahead again past some of these rumors like Metal Gear Solid 3 in 2003 and the PlayStation 3 taking shape. We're going to skip ahead to page 20. Not to look at PSM's most wanted games, but Ty, can you read PSM's top five favorites? theater movies in october 2002 for me yeah i did put it in.
Speaker 2: The script if you yeah you did i was i was pulling this up but now i'm glad i did so let me go in reverse order number five jackass the movie uh again topical because i just saw jackass last and best in the theaters it wasn't the best one but it definitely was the last one uh number four ring the the ring The.
Speaker 1: Ring, I guess, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this remake of the popular Japanese thriller, A Woman Naomi Watts is Marked for Death After Watching a Disturbing Videotape.
Speaker 1: That's wild that that was 2002. I know. That does not feel like that was that long ago. Three, Ghost Ship.
Speaker 2: A salvaged crew discovers a missing ship from the 1950s harboring a demon with a hankering for some good old-fashioned killing.
Speaker 1: I do not remember this. I have no recollection of that movie at all. I've never heard of this.
Speaker 2: Number two, Red Dragon. Sir Anthony Hopkins reprises his role as Dr.
Speaker 1: Hannibal Lecter. Yes, I do remember that one. And then their top pick, the tuxedo.
Speaker 2: Lots of hilarious butt kicking is assured when a limo driver, played by Jackie Chan, unwittingly finds himself fighting evil with a special FBI tuxedo equipped with crazy gadgets.
Speaker 1: Is that like the most 2002 movie? Ever. Oh, yeah. I love that it's like a magic tuxedo that turns you into James Bond. Like, that's a legit good concept.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also, especially slots into the, you know, Jim Carrey. Okay, we have a physical comedian.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, let's... Yeah, it's like the mask, but with a tuxedo. Yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: The mask, but the tuxedo is a perfect way to sell this. And yeah, it's also very fun that this.
Speaker 1: Gamers, as we talked about before..
Speaker 2: I'm a media critic and commentarian i can definitely talk about whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah here's the movies we cannot wait to see and it's uh jackass the ring a horror movie nobody's ever heard of red dragon which is like oscar worthy.
Speaker 2: At that but number one is whatever the new jackie chan one yeah like great perfect which is like yeah.
Speaker 1: So glad we have exactly what people would have been thinking in 2002 so i was pretty happy pretty happy to see that yeah that was a pretty fabulous list but we are going to carry on because there's a lot of pages a lot of ads to get through uh reviews here start uh on page 26 so we're gonna scroll past that real fast uh to page 46 where previews start um oh okay it kicks off with a big preview uh like a two-page spread of metal gear solid 2 substance which was like a remaster a re-release of metal gear solid 2 but with skateboarding in it, which is cool. Uh, no, this was also when they ported it over to X box, I think, and added some like improvements, VR missions. There is a skateboarding mini game for some reason. Um, but it was an interesting example of like a game that was, you know, big and well-received kind of like getting a re-release, like a beefed up re-release on the same console only like a year later or something like that. Yeah. Uh, Which is interesting. But we're going to skip past Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4. This is about when the series started to really fall off. But then we start to see why the PlayStation, I think, still started to work. How did I not know about 3D Rygar? I'm losing my mind.
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: What? No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude. Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah. You don't remember this? No. I think it's okay. I didn't play the original.
Speaker 2: I was aware of it, so I didn't look out for this, but I missed that they made a PS2 Rygar.
Speaker 1: That's so funny there you go hey breaking news ps2 rygar uh there's silent hill 3 which you know uh is pretty yeah but i think we're starting to see why the playstation and how the playstation 2 is starting to like really solidify itself as like you know all it's like Set its course to become the best-selling console of all time because it has these games from Metal Gear Solid 2 to Silent Hill 3, Tony Hawk's. These are games that appeal to so many different people, right? Yes. We have Marvel vs. Capcom 2 right there.
Speaker 2: That's what I was going to bring up. You were talking about that. We played that on Senior Skip Day. Me and my friends crossed the border to Windsor on Senior Skip Day. And we found what then passed for Chinatown?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: East asian block of one street in windsor and there was an arcade and they had marvel versus capcom 2 with uh like a stand-up disconnected like like control deck on a podium with surround sound and we were like oh my god we spent so many quarters playing oh it was incredible canadian incredible so that was like correct basically free right yeah yeah exactly exactly um but yeah i mean like page 56 we just have like a preview of just oh you know just ratchet and clank like a series that would become huge right yes on playstation was really playstation 2 was really starting to cook and again not by trying to copy what it'd become before but by like iterating on strong.
Speaker 1: Ideas and and doing new things with them in new spaces um you have a lot of ads for your sports games but i wanted to stop for a second on wild arms 3 because like man that's a good looking game uh on page 64 we have a full page preview of wild arms 3 uh which it just looks good and like yeah it looks good like it's a it's a beautiful game but i'm not really sure why it wasn't on my radar like at this time i love the original wild arms uh this obviously looks really good in previews and so like i don't know why it slipped past me i own a copy of it i've owned a copy of it forever but.
Speaker 2: Like yeah the opening sentence of the preview is sony's wild arms rpg series is nothing if not chronically underrated i think maybe it was just the like the like tactics ask like you know like i don't know it always like reviews and previews always sold it as hey wait this isn't like a regular square soft rpg and so maybe that just made me filter it out as okay well then this isn't The thing that I'm looking for.
Speaker 1: I don't know. And like, I do think that while I'm sort of lost its way by trying to come up with all these weird, uh, we're actually kind of, this is actually topical to something else we're going to talk about in a minute, but while I'm sort of lost its way by trying to like, come up with all these weird battle systems. And that did sort of start in three. And I think if it had stayed the course as like a fairly straightforward RPG combat, but then like the real meat of the game was in the puzzle solving tools, uh, and dungeons. Uh, it could have been, could have been pretty neat. Uh, but in any case, beautiful game. Um, we have Blood Rain 2, which, um, is, is Blood Rain. Oh no, Blood Rain 1. Uh, yeah. EverQuest Online Adventures, Shinobi, which we talked about last week. I do want to skip past a lot of these previous stuff. Uh, Haven, I'd love to talk about Haven. I haven't played it, but it looks cool because on page 78, we have the first big feature. Um, of this issue.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Which is, uh, probably the reason I wasn't head over heels for wild arms three. And that was found on C11 coming into PlayStation two with the hard drive, with the modem, like we talked about earlier. It's like, it's a juicy feature. It's like text heavy. It's four pages. It talks a little bit about the different, you know, the, uh, character creation, like the, uh, character races you could choose. It has beautiful, like screenshots of the world. Um, And it just, it looks really good. And, uh, it was a big deal when Final Fantasy 11, cause nine, 10 and 11 were announced at the same time. Right. And so we'd gotten nine and it was very like throwback entry on the PlayStation. Then we got 10, which is very different. And then 11 as this like online game. And I'm still like, I'm still cheese that it was called Final Fantasy 11 all these years later. Um, but you know, an MMO, a Final Fantasy MMO coming out was a big deal. Um, especially as PlayStation sort of pushed back against Xbox live and Microsoft's upcoming dominance of the online space. Uh, so I bought it, but I think, like I said, it wasn't very solo friendly, Uh, after a point. So like early, fairly early in the game, like maybe level 11, I was at some beach and I just could not play anymore. Uh, so I, you know, I did, I did quit, but like, I don't know, these screenshots still look so good to me. Um, and the game's still going strong. Like if it's hard to believe, but they're launching a free trial this September where you can like play a ton of the game for free in 2026, like this year. And I, I kind of want to get back into it. Yeah, no, for sure. I'm sad that I missed out on this.
Speaker 2: And, you know, 14 is its whole other own thing. But 11 is something I'd like to at least experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean, with the free trial, maybe we do a little fun factor. That'd be fun. Streaming. Fun factor. You know, we all join up for a month or whatever and see what we can do. Because, like, I really enjoyed my time with it. My understanding is it's now much, much more fun. solo friendly, maybe not as much as 14, but at least something that like you can fire up on your own if your friends aren't around and at least make some progress. Uh, the next big feature after the final fancy one is on page 90 and it's on vice city. And so again, here we have that kind of classic vice city key art that we were talking about on the cover. Um, says it's twice as big, beautiful and brutal as GTA three. Okay. This preview, I just want to say it's also very chunky, but it's very much more like illustration and screenshot driven than the Final Fantasy XI one was. Hey, hey, hey, just a second.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So she's not wearing a dress. She's wearing a bikini.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 1: She's wearing a bikini. Also, go back to the cover. Oh, it's way, way, way, way back. I know I always accidentally go back to the next page and stuff, but I can do this. Wait, that wasn't it. That was an ad there. I just did this. Nope. Nope. Keep going. Okay. What is that white box hiding? That's like the subscription info. Right. So yeah. Yeah. So they edited this. They definitely did that on purpose.
Speaker 2: On purpose to make it look like she's wearing a dress when she's clearly wearing a bikini.
Speaker 1: That's very funny to me. Funny. Keep parents from being like, what is this? Yeah. How did this get put in our mailbox? They trick these two dumb dads. Uh-huh. We just fully, but yeah, that's so funny to me. That's, that's pretty funny. But I mean, of course that's trying to convince parents of that generation, like, or that era to like buy any sort of GTA related stuff was probably a hard sell. Um, You know, as we've kind of discussed previously, I'm not a big GTA guy. I don't care about Grand Theft Auto six coming out in a few weeks. Like I just can't bring myself to care. Um, I didn't really care about vice city too much either. We had a friend who owned it and brought it over to our house and we played it for an afternoon and you know, it's chaotic and it's silly. Um, but you know, the vibes in vice city are pretty strong and it feels to me like it's the game that was like, because it took three and it, it created such a like stronger atmosphere, like being set in Florida, um, the colors and the lighting and the music style. Like, yeah, all of that just are like really, really worked. Um, And I think that that part of it makes it the one that to me feels the most like complete and compelling of all the GTA games. Like four was just, I don't even remember four. No. Yeah. Four was in New York. Five was back in LA and then six is back in Florida. And it's like, I don't know. None of the other ones really kind of hit that vibe of like, I mean, I don't, Florida is just chaotic. Maybe it just works for me. Uh, but, um, I know you got into GTA multiplayer with your buddies. Yes. Play the earlier games.
Speaker 2: Like what's your experience with it? Um, vice city, I didn't have any experience until vice city. And then my best friend, uh, in college and, and post college, he got it. And so I was over at his apartment all the time.
Speaker 1: We played it.
Speaker 2: Mostly he played it while I watched, cause that's all you need, you know, Yeah. It was not really that, you know, I played it a little bit, but yeah, I wasn't good at it because I hadn't played it. So most of the time he was just doing crazy stuff and we were just laughing and laughing.
Speaker 1: Right. Um, and so, yeah, vibes were great.
Speaker 2: It wasn't really Yoda doing the voice lines. Um, so that's, you know, he's a gangster movie guy. Right. So all of that stuff was on point and it was, it was a little bit of the, the hiddenness, like.
Speaker 1: Some of the stuff was like, Oh, this is so awesome. And so this is, Oh, this is so gross.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, and, and, but the, you know, running from the cops and doing some of that stuff, some of the cut scenes and stuff were really cool. Some of the voice acting was good. And like you said, just the vibes are immaculate. Just like, you know, driving down the beach, you know, down a road next to the beach, the palm trees and like everybody wants to rule the world comes on and you're like, yo, this is like, this is incredible.
Speaker 1: This is so cool. But like, I think like, like, I don't know, like I can get that from other games. I'm playing Forza Horizon 6 right now.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: You get the same thing. You're driving through Shibuya at night and the vibes are over the top and the music's good, but I don't have to like beat up some sex workers to like progress the story. Like some of the leaked GTA six footage, I watched a bit of it and just like scrubbed through randomly. And it was straight up. The like main character was beating up some homeless women under a bridge. And I was like, I, I just don't get, I don't, I don't see the appeal. Like, if I want to drive and experience vibes at this time, I, you know, play something else. I guess, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Driver, or I would play, uh, burnout paradise, like on the next generation of consoles and stuff. It just never really like, I remember playing Driver and being like, oh, this game would be so sweet if you could also get out of your car. And then they made it and it was Grand Theft Auto. And I was like, oh, okay. And maybe I don't like committing crimes outside of my car. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'll say, I think, you know, they've learned a ton of stuff with Five Online and that whole sandbox world. But like a lot of people, the satirical over-the-topness of like sort of South Park level skewering American culture and its excesses.
Speaker 1: It's like it'd be made by like British developers, I think is important, you know, for that reason. But yeah. But like, what do you do with that? Right.
Speaker 2: And this is, here's another thing with like long dev cycles, right. Where you're like, okay, if this comes out when Joe Biden is president.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Making fun of Trump.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's a completely different vibe. That's it coming out now.
Speaker 2: Like, what are you going to make fun of? What is going to sound over the top? What is going to be ridiculous?
Speaker 1: Vice City was coming out right in the middle of the Bush Jr. years too, right? Yeah, uh-huh. Post 9-11. And it's like, I don't know. I guess that's probably part of it. As a Canadian, I don't really want to partake in excesses of US culture, even if it is satire right now. I'm kind of... kind of annoyed with you guys, like as a nation, right?
Speaker 2: The only thing that compels me about six is telling of a love story. You know, that it's like, it's these two criminals, it's this man and this woman.
Speaker 1: I know, but like GTA four was like an immigrant story of a guy who was gonna come to America to find a new life, like get away from the violence in his home, his home country. Right. So he immigrates to New York city. And then, like, the second mission, you have to, like, start shooting people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like, that narrative, that ludonarrative dissonance is just so strong. So, like, yeah, is it a love story? Sure. But is it really? Or is that just sort of, like, the wedge that gets you into this, like, larger narrative?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I cannot wait to hear other people play it and podcast about it to find out.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? I'd rather jam Q-tips in my ears until, like, start bleeding. I love hearing smart people analyze this stuff. I'm very curious. You know, I want to know Gita Jackson's take. I want to know Janet Garcia's take.
Speaker 2: I want to know, you know, like I, I, I don't need to play this myself unless people go, you've got to go out and play this, you know, smart people I respect are like, this is interesting.
Speaker 1: This is fun. This is cool.
Speaker 2: You know, then maybe, but who, or maybe, you know, the, the group chat is like, Hey, let's, let's, let's reassemble the crew.
Speaker 1: Let's do some of these heist missions, you know, the online.
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 1: And my problem probably was I never played GTA in a like social environment. Besides that one time a friend brought over Vice City. Right. So like, I don't have any of those. Like I have moments of playing Goldeneye and, like laughing our asses off and stuff like that. Right. Like, yeah.
Speaker 2: And a lot of the driving experience that with, you know, vehicle races, cars and planes where it's like, they literally, here's a gigantic, like 3d hamster maze. And if you go fast enough, it doesn't matter. You know, you'll, you'll overcome gravity. So you're doing all these weird, like rollercoaster loops.
Speaker 1: They have sort of like.
Speaker 2: quasi-Rocket League soccer and baseball games. So you're doing drifts to hit the balls. So it's like, we're not even playing Grand Theft Auto. We're playing some funny car game and just laughing our butts off, which.
Speaker 1: Is a different thing. Yeah, totally. Yeah, yeah. Interesting. I mean, sandbox games are kind of what you make of them, right? 100%. But after the features, we've got the ubiquitous... Cheats and tips section. We're going to move on. We're going to skip past this just like you and I would have skipped past it in 2002. And as we just wrap things up here with a reader mail on page 120, I just want to point out that we're still posting contact information for children in 2002. We've got a bunch of email addresses for like 13 and 15 year olds, which is just crazy. to me. Uh, but that being said, I do kind of want to see if I see his email address still works at icy Sephiroth at real juggalos.com because his list of favorite games is pretty sick. He lists all final fantasies, lunar one and two Kronos cross slash trigger and, um, anything that doesn't suck. Well, there you go. The games, uh, Uh, so I will be seen if I see Sephiroth, uh, can be contacted via, uh, email. And of course he is of an appropriate age.
Speaker 2: Now he would be 49 or something like that.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: 39. Yeah. 39. So Tara Kim, age 12 girls are gamers too. That's her quote. That's right. Um, okay. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Let's just move on, uh, here. FF9, FF10, the Spyro series in Tekken 3.
Speaker 1: Yeah there was the rpgs it shouldn't innovate thing that i wanted you to read but i think we're just kind of running out we're getting getting tight on time yes we um so ty there's there are other letters on this in this letter section that i i want you to read i had it in the script for you to read we're running a little tight on time there's there's a guy named caleb uh who says rpg shouldn't innovate uh and i kind of think caleb was on to something but that's an Well, we can email him at pineapple.boy at msn.com and see if he still thinks so. I might. Because I don't think his response was not very, the response he got from Eric was not very kind. But I do think Caleb was sort of seeing what RPGs were, what was happening to RPGs at that time. But let's get to the review here because we're an hour into this episode and Kingdom Hearts provides a lot. Of ammunition. It sure does. For hot takes. Sure does.
Speaker 2: So our favorite writing to read is not the writing in these magazines.
Speaker 1: It is yours.
Speaker 2: When we come back from this break, we will read your reviews of our reviews of Classic Video Game Magazine reviews. We will answer any questions that our awesome Discord community asked us ahead of time. If you want access to that, just go to funfactorpod.com. Go to socials and then Discord. You jump right into the Discord. And if you are a Fun Factor Ultra member..
Speaker 1: You can get into.
Speaker 2: The Ultra Lounge, the swanky extra members-only channel, and ask us some questions there as well. Anyway, let's do the thing that we do right here on Fun Factory. We've got mail. As promised, we always review best, funniest, kindest, and most entertaining five-star Apple podcast reviews on the air. Bonus points if you say who your favorite host is and why. Double bonus points if it is Aiden. We actually didn't have new.
Speaker 1: Reviews, right? No, but we do have some reader mail. We do.
Speaker 2: From the Discord.
Speaker 1: So all true members are able to submit reader questions per episode. So we're going to read a couple of those today. The first is from Jason WFD. And he asks, Ty... If you could go back in time and play one game for the first time again, which would it be? Ah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I was trying not to just jump right in and say Chrono Trigger for the time travel joke. Actually, if you've got one right at the time, I've been thinking about this and I don't have it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you go for it. My first thought was like, what's my favorite game? Chrono Trigger, for sure. But like, I enjoy replaying Chrono Trigger so much. Yeah. Uh, then I'm not the same person I was when I played it for the first time. And I think I, I think my experience playing it for the first time was, was perfect. It was great. I wouldn't change that. What I, so for me, the answer is, is not my favorite game ever, but like what games sort of like blew my mind the most or like changed the way I think about video games the most. Uh, and I would probably say the outer wilds. Um, okay. Yeah, sure, sure, sure, sure. Because I just think that's a magical game and it is one of my favorite games of all time. But the way that it has like it's world built out and the way the narratives is baked into the environments and the nonlinear storytelling. Like I've just never played anything else like that. And I don't know that like it's not like Stardew Valley where there's been a million clones and some of them are just as good. Like I just Outer Wilds is so unique. that if I could go back and play it again for the first time without any of my knowledge, I think that would be pretty, pretty tempting to say no to because gathering knowledge and gathering experience is the game. Um, right. And it's pretty cool. So forgetting it would make the experience just as good as the first time, I think.
Speaker 2: Blueprints then immediately comes to mind as well, now that.
Speaker 1: You say that. Good choice. Thank you. Good choice. Yeah, very similar ideas between the two. So yeah, Blueprints, which you are still not done beating up. How am I still not done? Did you figure out what the still is? Yes, I did. Yes. Yes. Oh, you did. Yeah. And we did that whole, we did that.
Speaker 2: Oh, you did.
Speaker 1: Okay. Okay. Okay.
Speaker 2: But it was, I could not believe how much more there was. I was genuinely stunned.
Speaker 1: Okay. Sounds like you're done.
Speaker 2: Done.
Speaker 1: Follow-up question from Lord Druby. If you could go back in time and unplay a game, which.
Speaker 2: Would be why? So it's one we have mentioned. I have mentioned on a previous episode. It is Ephemeral Fantasia for the PS2. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hot dog shit. That game. And it's like, it's such a bait and switch too. Can you use the guitar? Is that a game you can use the guitar? Yes.
Speaker 2: It's an anime style JRPG where the main character self insert guy is a bard who attacks with his sword guitar. And it works with the guitar hero controller. So there's actually like story moments where you have to like perform the So you have to perform a song for somebody or, you know, perform a song at a festival or whatever.
Speaker 1: And like, you know, oh, okay, cool.
Speaker 2: You can get high, good, low rankings or whatever. And that means something.
Speaker 1: Okay, great. The game sucks. It sucks to play. The writing sucks. It's sexist. It's idiotic.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make any sense. It doesn't say anything. It's like basically one screen per screen game. top down ish and then if you advance off screen then there's like three seconds of loading time to load the next screen so if you like are trying to run through town you like run from edge to edge now loading now loading okay run from edge to edge now loading now i mean it's it's just this side of unplayable and the fact that so many of the things conceptually Design.
Speaker 1: Wise were right up my alley.
Speaker 2: And then it was such an absolute kick in the nuts from start to finish.
Speaker 1: That was one, like even as an RPG starved, like fan looking for any RPG to play that I still skipped. Cause even at the time it was not well looked upon. Um, this one for me, if I could go back and unplay a game, it would be Xenoblade Chronicles two. I just like anything else I could have done with that 50 hours of my life would have like, been a major improvement i just i dislike that game i like xenoblade chronicles one xenoblade chronicles three is pretty good two i just i just hate everything about it besides the like environment design okay there's beautiful environment design and there's one character i like i can't remember her name first ursula bridget something like that uh i just yeah everything about that game is just awful um and the fact that it ends with like a 12 year old getting a harem of like big breasted women. Like it's just weird, weird game.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, you said environment design and I was like, yeah, I've heard things about the environment.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, uh, yeah. I like anything, man. Like I, if I could have repainted my house or something instead, like I don't want to paint it all my ceilings. Like man, anything I could have done would have been felt like a better use of my time than, than playing Xenoblade Chronicles two.
Speaker 2: Looks like we had some synchronicity with our last reader question here.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, Zerathion asks, what's your favorite movie show, et cetera, tie in game of the fun factor season two era of games, which we covered pretty extensively in the first, uh, yes, we did.
Speaker 2: And I actually play station two games, 2002. Here we go. Let me, let me, uh, uh, You're trying to get some specifics going?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just like, you know, jog the memory. There's got to be something that I'm not thinking. I should have done that to begin with, right? Because you sit there and you go, oh yeah, I remember this probably. And then you sit here and you're like, Gitaroo Man. I forgot Gitaroo Man existed. Like there has to be something I'm missing that.
Speaker 1: I played that I liked.
Speaker 2: And unfortunately we can't count All of the quote-unquote adaptations or tie-in games of sports leagues.
Speaker 1: No, yeah. Yeah, let's see. Okay, because I said The Hobbit from this era, which I do really like.
Speaker 2: There's the 2002 Spider-Man that people wear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Spider-Man. Does Boom Blox count? No, that was Wii. It was like Steven Spielberg. Yes, it was. Yes, it was. And that was the Wii. Yeah, let's see.
Speaker 2: Oh, the Mobile Suit Gundam Federation vs.
Speaker 3: Zeon.
Speaker 2: I don't think that was good, and I also didn't watch any Gundam until this year.
Speaker 1: Right, so yeah, that can't really count. Oh man, Warcraft 3 came out this year? It's a good year. Yes, it was. Yeah, there really aren't a lot of good tie-in games. Hey, Jedi Outcasts. Jedi Knight 2, Jedi Outcast. Jedi Knight is the one you were thinking of earlier. Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of earlier. And so, like, yeah, Jedi Outcast was a good one. That's a good tie-in game from that period. Disney's Stitch, I guess. There's really not a lot of good tie-in games at this point. Cabela's Big Game Hunter. I did play that in the arcade. Okay, sure.
Speaker 2: Because sometimes you're, like, having beers and you're like, I will play every game in this arcade.
Speaker 1: That has a bar in it. Yeah, I mean... Yeah. Or vice versa. Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire came out in Japan. It's like a media tie-in because it's like a whole medium. Sort of. Kingdom Hearts 2. I mean, like, we're going to talk about Kingdom Hearts 2. Like, that's the big one. But yeah, like, there's not.
Speaker 2: Was the minority report game any good? I can't imagine it was.
Speaker 1: Is the minority report game any good, Ty? No, it's not going to be good. You know where there were probably some, you know where there were some good tie-in games? tie huh game boy advance oh that's true we talked about that before yeah so let's let's take a look here okay this letter is taking longer than i uh had anticipated but sorry yeah lowest rated there is a tie-in game uh the gravity games uh tie-in game got a 24 metascore gravity game tie-in game the.
Speaker 2: Gravity it's i think uh again it's a sports league i guess technically i think it was a competitor to x games uh a bmx you know it's basically just like bmx.
Speaker 1: Oh biking okay that doesn't sound like up my alley okay 2002 astro boy omega factor 2003 on game boy that's a fabulous game that's that that'll be a pick for me for sure uh very good treasure like action platformer uh excellent game uh the max pain game on game boy advance was pretty good it's not a tie-in but it's a tie-in to the console versions if that counts nice try yeah oh uh the simpsons hit and run that was that's oh yeah that's a good one yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I'll take that one i'll take that one for sure okay all right we have been having five stars out of five stars worth of fun today folks if you have to go leave a rating or review so we can read them and talk about them and praise you for them and thank you for them here in this segment our letters section In the meantime, we absolutely have to get to the point of the whole thing where we review the review. Sit tight through this ad break. If you are not already a Fun Factor Ultra member, in which case, use that time to go to funfactorpod.com and join with the big fat sign up widget and everything.
Speaker 1: And in the meantime, we will be back right here on Fun Factors.
Speaker 2: We are back here on fun factor, having a ton of fun and running way too long as we always do. That's because there's so much great stuff in these magazines. So many great questions and interaction with you guys in the audience. We really appreciate it. Please help us spread the word. Please help us grow. Please help us get this show in more eyes and ears. In the meantime, Aiden, it's time has come. We have got to review the review. Okay.
Speaker 1: So PSM reviews, uh, the review format, pretty typical 10 point scale of ranging from classic and outstanding at the top of the scale to awful and quote, why? Uh, and then they award their game of the month, to the like highest scoring title or presumably whichever of those they they wanted to like the most if there's a tie in this issue in this issue is it's Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 the reviews are pretty like typically like text heavy they come with bylines which is nice Um, and even the shortest of the reviews get a, like a third of a page. So we don't have capsule reviews. We've got like full reviews essentially for every game, all 15 of them. Uh, some of them have different random like sidebars, a how it stacks up sidebar where it kind of shows you where it ranks against similar games. Uh, and then a sidebar called final score, which is where they give their numerical score, uh, and like a single sentence wrap up. Pretty straightforward. Nothing fancy. No weighted averages. Nothing gnarly. Just 1 through 10. I like it. Yeah, straightforward. It is the thing that you want. Yeah. Today's review is from Frosty, Stephen Frost. And we're, like I said, doing Kingdom Hearts. This series has blown up big time since its release. Right? Yeah. In 2002, in this issue, it only received a bronze medal from PSM. And as we're about to see, like, uh, Stephen Frost's review sort of like digs into the idea that like, Hey, there's some cool ideas here, but I don't know if it's going to be enough to like really find an audience, which is interesting. Um, it stacks up in the little, how it stacks up sidebar against, uh, Baldur's gate dark Alliance, which got an eight out of 10. Forever Kingdom, 6 out of 10. Wizardry Forsaken Land, 6 out of 10. And Dark Cloud, which is a 6 out of 10. So that kind of shows you where it was sort of like being lined up against, right? They weren't looking at this and being like, hey, this is the next Final Fantasy for Square. Right. They were putting it alongside. You know, some of those games are pretty good. Dark Cloud's interesting, but kind of janky. Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance is a legit good game. But those are like, you know, They are 8 out of 10s, right? They are sort of like that second tier, that A tier, not S tier, which I think is interesting. What is your experience with Kingdom Hearts TIE? Were you excited for it at the time? Have you played it since? Do you know all the members of Organization XIII or whatever they're called?
Speaker 2: I wish I had listened to Stephen Frost's advice.
Speaker 1: I'm skipping to the end a little bit here.
Speaker 2: Where he says, however, there are bound to be many of you who simply look over this game because it's kiddie looking.
Speaker 1: Don't.
Speaker 2: There's more to this game than meets the eye. And unfortunately, at the time, it's 2002.
Speaker 1: I was born in 1981.
Speaker 2: I was in college. I had built my own gaming PC, so I was really getting into PC gaming. As we talked about, I was on a super fast dorm network connected directly to Michigan State's internet backbone. So, like, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, but, like, not Final Fantasy characters. It's, like, Final Fantasy-esque kiddie characters mixed up with Disney characters. Like, it was so weird and so bizarre, especially at the time that it even came out. I just couldn't imagine that it was good.
Speaker 1: I was sure. Because keep in mind, also, Square had.
Speaker 2: This long history of, oh, no. Western gamers don't get Final Fantasy.
Speaker 1: They're not going to understand.
Speaker 2: We need to make Final Fantasy for kids, you know, and we'd get the Final Fantasy Mystic Quest or the Final Fantasy, you know, these games that were like super, super cut down versions of the JRPG experience. And so I was just like, between this being marketed to kids and to Disney, and I just can't imagine it's that good. And so I didn't touch it. And then I didn't want to touch the sequel that came out as they.
Speaker 1: Hinted pretty quickly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I just didn't find it compelling. So I didn't, I didn't play one or two. And then there was this giant long delay.
Speaker 1: Squaresoft style before three. And so I did.
Speaker 2: So all of my experience with Kingdom Hearts came through Waypoint Radio's sub podcast, Lore Reasons with Natalie Watson, where she did not play the games and she simply watched all of the cut scenes in order on YouTube and then attempted to reconstruct the entire complete story of each game's narrative through just the cut scenes while multiple other cast members, team members, podcast members put in their feedback based on not having past played the games, but not recently replayed the games.
Speaker 1: So they have to argue and..
Speaker 2: And it's this unbelievable deep dive, this gigantic journey, this whole thing where they try and figure out and reconstruct all of the lore and all of the story and everything. And it's truly still worth a listen. It's several episodes, all four or five hours long.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. Surely you've read the Google Doc. Our Google Doc? The script? No, the Google Doc. I will put it in the show notes. There is a Google Doc that attempts to make sense of the Kingdom Hearts story, and it's like, so long and so confusing and I love it so much. Um, and I've always like my dream. So like here, uh, is our once per episode mentioned a retrograde amnesia, but I would love for them to do like just kingdom hearts three, uh, not one and two, just three or something like that, or a spinoff, uh, because they also do a fabulous, uh, wrap up episode every season when they're done a game and they sit down with their, with their partners and And try to explain the plots of these games. So they have an episode called Explaining Xenogears to Normal People. And it's them with their spouses trying to explain the Xenogears plot. It would be fabulous with Kingdom Hearts. That would be, what an experience. Especially if you just like, didn't have the context of the first two games. Because the first game's pretty normal, right? Like, plot wise. It goes off the rails later. But I did play Kingdom Hearts when it came out. And I guess like me being just a couple of years younger than you might have helped. Because I still like, was pretty into Disney movies at that time. I loved Lilo and Stitch, which came out this year. Oh yeah, yeah. And so like, I was still, and you know what, I've, and I've always just liked cartoons and stuff like that. So that wasn't a turnoff for me. That was like a thing that I was kind of into. And I had a little brother who's like five years younger than me, who in hindsight became the big Kingdom Hearts fan in our family. And so that connection to my brother, like made it like an obvious pickup. Um, and I was curious too, because there were Final Fantasy characters and I was like, Hey, yeah, clouds in this, like squalls in this, Aerith is in this. Like, that seems pretty sick. The concept, of course, like, should never have worked. But it, for whatever reason, it did. And the fact that it was, like, compelling and interesting and not just, like, a Disney RPG was, like, I don't know, it kind of, like, captured my attention pretty early and I was pretty excited about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I want to clarify just real quick. I also loved Lilo and Sedge.
Speaker 1: I thought it was a great movie.
Speaker 2: I watched it with my then-girlfriend, now-wife. Had a great time.
Speaker 1: Just a couple years before the New Year's Eve.
Speaker 2: From 1999 to 2000, I went to Disney World with my.
Speaker 1: Girlfriend, now-wife, and her family. But you probably weren't playing Disney in the dorms. Right. And that's the thing.
Speaker 2: I was just pulling in enough different directions where I wasn't going to drop whatever else I wanted to play for this, even though I was sort of curious. But I didn't see enough like people losing their minds over this is so good. You got to go play it. And then I missed out on being a lot of formative experiences for people just a couple, three, four years younger than me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I do think that like couple of years difference in our age probably had a huge, huge impact there. Can you read the opening of Frosty's review for me? I have it in the script for you.
Speaker 2: In a marriage that one could hardly dream of, two entertainment giants have come together and created a rather unique sort of offspring. Kingdom Hearts is that bouncing baby boy that you weren't quite expecting, but that you're certainly happy to see.
Speaker 1: So like we've been talking about how like Kingdom Hearts is weird, right? Like, yeah, like, yeah, I don't know. I need a Matt Leone oral history of Kingdom Hearts and like how that came together. Who pitched it? Like all of that stuff. Like I still, I don't get how that happened. Um, and I've often like on previous episodes docked points when I review the review from critics who weren't really able to like see the future impact of a game. Um, but I don't even think I can do that here to Frosty because he kind of like hedges a little bit and says like, Hey, like, I think this is interesting, but I just, I'm not sure that it can find that audience, but he almost recognizes that if it could, it could be big and interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Um, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, nobody knew how to evaluate kingdom hearts at the time. Right. And I, I think that like Frosty not being able to, tell that it was going to spawn into this hugely popular series over two and a half decades, you know, that continues to work and have a huge fan base, like because Tetsuya and nomura like somehow keeps convincing disney to like give up its characters for his fever dream like there was no way you could have anticipated that would come out of kingdom hearts and so i think like in the second paragraph he starts to dig into you know some of the actual game, uh, gameplay, the combat. And he does say it, you know, kind of suffers from like constant battles, which is fair. Um, I think that the idea and that the experience of getting to like explore some of these Disney worlds was cool. Combat was okay, but not great. Um, but the way it mixed sort of like real time and turn-based stuff was, was cool. Uh, and so he kind of touches on, you know, like the fact that, you know, combat is, uh, kind of a necessary in the game, I think. Um, but then he rightfully in the third paragraph starts calling out the game's awful camera. The camera is so bad. And it's the number one reason I've never actually replayed kingdom hearts. Um, because cameras during that era were just so, so bad. And I'm glad to see him being like, Hey, like it kind of suffers like here. He says like quote, kingdom heart suffers a bit from the problem of constant battles. Fortunately, its inherent design reduces the monotony a lot and then goes into how the camera is, quote, one of the worst camera systems in an RPG ever. I think both of those are pretty solid reads on the gameplay aspects of Kingdom Hearts. It is tough.
Speaker 2: That's one of the things that like going back to some of these classic series is ones and twos and you go, oh, right. They didn't know how to do this yet. In terms of 3d actions, right?
Speaker 1: Your, your path, find it.
Speaker 2: You've got the camera fighting with the camera. How does combat work? Do you have lock on? Do you not have lock on? Is there, are your actions, uh, relative or absolute, right? Are your inputs relative to the map or relative to your character or relative to your POV?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, Oh yeah, we're.
Speaker 2: Using a shoulder buttons to move the camera while we like, huh?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: So like, it doesn't surprise me that this comes up as a huge issue. Um, and uh it's it's unfortunate that this is one of those that's stricken with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah and like you know we've talked we talked about last episode with shinobi that like you see this in this uh review here there's a big screenshot of cerberus which is one of the bosses from the game like big bosses in particular especially when he had like the four by three screen ratio of like crt tube tvs like there just was not much of a viewport and so like big boss is in particular, or like swarms of enemies, like you would often get in kingdom hearts, I think exacerbated like bad camera angles. And that's why the best games of this era, I think still had fixed cameras. Like Final Fantasy 10 uses a fixed camera and it's great. It works really well. Right. Um, Frosty wraps up this review by saying, and you've read a little bit of this already, but, uh, he says, quote, there's just something cool about seeing all the Disney characters. I'm just not sure that a majority of RPG fans out there are going to go for it. Many should find it nostalgic and enjoyable. However, there are bound to be many of you who simply look over this game because it's kiddy looking.
Speaker 3: Don't.
Speaker 1: There's more to this game than meets the eye. Get past your cheesy childhood memories and give Donald and Goofy another chance. Odds are, they'll win you over once again. What I find really interesting about this review is that It doesn't mention Final Fantasy at all.
Speaker 2: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: Like it doesn't, I don't even, does it even like, I don't even think it says the words Final Fantasy. No, it doesn't. Like that blending of the two was what was so weird and strange, right? This wasn't just a Disney RPG. Like the fact that there's a crossover makes this so unique and it's so strange not to see any mention of that here. Not even in the screenshots. So like, was there some weird embargo? I don't know.
Speaker 2: And this is kind of also why I, I think it's actually a good choice if you're trying to set up Kingdom Hearts as Kingdom Hearts and not as a Final Fantasy game.
Speaker 1: This isn't a marketing thing. No, no, no. I know.
Speaker 2: I understand. I think, I guess I should say if you're trying to review or evaluate Kingdom Hearts as its own thing, because that was one of the other things was like, it's being marketed as this is Final Fantasy meets Disney.
Speaker 1: But all the main.
Speaker 2: Characters are new OG characters that look more at home in a Disney universe than in Final Fantasy, Zippers and Belts Nomura style. Aside, this art of Sora here, especially with the gigantic clown shoes.
Speaker 1: Those clown shoes are far more Mickey Mouse than they are Final Fantasy.
Speaker 2: 100%.
Speaker 1: This is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So this looks more like a Disney RPG than Final Fantasy meets anything. And then it's the Keyblade that isn't a sword. And even though it's got the little Mickey charm on a chain that makes it look kind of like squalls.
Speaker 1: But, you know, it just..
Speaker 2: It looks like a Disney RPG by the makers of final fantasy more than it looks like a final fantasy RPG with Disney characters in it. And that probably also helped push me over the edge towards like, no, I don't need to run.
Speaker 1: And that's why I'm like, you know, he's talking here about like, Hey, don't let it, you know, look, it's kitty. Look, push you away. But then like, why don't we have pictures of the final fantasy stuff? Like that can make it look less kitty and show sort of some of that like other side of the game. Cause the game can get pretty dark. Like there's stuff where like Mickey's fighting stuff and it's like, it's pretty cool. It's not like, I don't know. It's just weird to like, I, and like, it makes me suspect there was some embargo stuff going on with this review to the point where like they weren't able to like show off the final fantasy stuff or whatever. Um, and I, but I'm not, I'm not really sure what's going on there. Cause I think it would have helped a lot, um, to be able to be like, Hey, like, you know, in the marketing, you might see a lot of Disney stuff, but like, you know, this is a game where this happens and that happens. And like, you know, there's like punished squall or cloud and is like Vincent outfit or whatever.
Speaker 2: I think that can you go to Aiden in the magazine page one 10 for me?
Speaker 1: One 10. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I saw this while we're doing the flip through and this is, this is really interesting to me.
Speaker 1: Um, we'll have a more complete guide to kingdom hearts next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So here we've got Waka going, what do you want out of life? To see rare sights, to broaden my horizons, to be strong. It says talk is not cheap. The seemingly inconsequential questions Selfie, Waka, and Titus ask you in the very beginning may in fact be the most important part of the whole game. Your answers will determine how often you gain levels of experience over the course of the game. Choose the top answer each time for faster leveling or the bottom answer for slower progressions.
Speaker 1: And, like, that's fascinating. I didn't even know that. Yeah. That's funny.
Speaker 2: Like, what a cool thing. And to hide that kind of mechanical thing inside these, like, storytelling questions, right? That's very Square and where Square will go. And some of the stuff they talk about about this being, like, a 3D action RPG in terms of combat, right? It's not turn-based. It's not active time battle.
Speaker 1: It's action, right?
Speaker 2: So, like, this is actually presaging the direction... mainline final fantasy games will go way back here in 2002 absolutely um so this.
Speaker 1: Is 16's battle system was had a lot of similarities with kingdom hearts.
Speaker 2: Yeah so this page this is in the cheat section right this page in the cheat section is so much more intriguing to me as a final fantasy player exactly than the entire review right exactly exactly so um yeah But then up in the top, the caption for that screenshot is, quote, we'll have a more complete guide to Kingdom Hearts next issue. So I wonder if they were saving a blowout for the next issue or something. Maybe.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's weird. It's weird to have WACA. Final Fantasy X was big right now. It was a system seller for the PS2. So why don't you have WACA in the review? Why aren't you talking about what's the integration of the Final Fantasy stuff like as it meets the Disney stuff? Is there... you know, like anachronistic like energy or does it work really well? Like what's the role of the final fancy character?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: The fact that it doesn't have like any like of that in the review is very strange to me. I agree. I agree.
Speaker 2: I would love to hear more about it. And then we're in, we are getting into the genre Kings era now, right? Where it's like, there's three RPG series and one of them is final fantasy. And we've got 11 coming out, which is, You have to buy, you have to have, like we talk about, it's coming with its whole own add-on. It's an online thing. It's its whole own thing. You have to have a credit card number to play it and a subscription. So if you're like, well, I love Final Fantasy X. What's the next RPG? Oh, it's by these people or similar to this.
Speaker 1: Okay, here it is.
Speaker 2: It's Kingdom Hearts, but we don't get any of that. And that is both interesting and it comes across as a failing if there isn't some specific reason for it.
Speaker 1: And because they, in this same issue, are... putting up unlimited saga as like square's next rpg like yes it's taken quote it's taken what seems like an eternity but square has finally announced a new rpg for ps2 and it's not final fantasy instead it's the latest chapter in the rpg giant saga series like so they're positioning it as a Final Fantasy, like, hey, if you want more Final Fantasy, you know, quote, here at the end, quote, we wouldn't be surprised to see it here before next summer. Square definitely needs something to fill its RPG void before the yet unscheduled Final Fantasy XI comes out. But Kingdom Hearts is reviewed in this issue. But Kingdom Hearts is in this issue and they don't even mention Final Fantasy. It's weird. It's very strange.
Speaker 2: It's strange.
Speaker 1: But let's wrap up here. Yeah. Ty, can you imagine if they made, if Square made an RPG, like a modern RPG where Clive from Final Fantasy 16 and Noctis from Final Fantasy 15 teamed up with Bandit and Lucky's dad from Bluey? Like, that's the equivalent here. Yeah, no, 100%. Isn't that wild? Yeah, yeah, yeah. And it worked? And it was good? That's incredible. That'd be crazy.
Speaker 2: It's an achievement.
Speaker 1: It's an achievement. That'd be crazy. Um, What do you think? What do you think? Where do we land on this?
Speaker 2: I'm so torn because for a one page review, uh, it's laid out. Well, we got a lot of screenshots.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Um, good captions. We've got the one piece of, of key, literally key, her, her key blade character art here in the middle of Sora. Um, And then I do love this, how it stacks up against other competitors, you know, with the score. I love that edition from PSM. The text is brief, but good. We only get a little under a half page of text. And even then it's, it's, we're written around a couple of screenshots and pullouts, you know, and there's not, I think it's a well-written review and the score eight makes sense. May not be squares best RPG, but it definitely has some of the best voice acting and characters ever. Action-based fighting is definitely welcome as well.
Speaker 1: But again, all of this really.
Speaker 2: Good stuff kind of leads up to the big gaping, okay, well then why didn't this get the treatment and coverage that a mainline Squaresoft.
Speaker 1: RPG should get?
Speaker 2: How come we don't have more of the Final Fantasy stuff included in this review if you are trying to pitch it? Because we've read this before where reviewers are going, hey, I mean, even with Squaresoft RPGs specifically, Chrono Trigger, right? Final Fantasy VI, right? We've seen this same publishing company, some of these same people involved go, you might not like RPGs. You might think you don't like RPGs. Play this RPG, right? So we've seen reviewers go out and say, This game is worth your time. If you like, if you do like games sort of like this, play this game. And, and Frost literally wraps this up by making that plea and going, don't dismiss this because it's a Disney thing. Don't dismiss this because it looks kiddy and cartoony, but then doesn't include anything that might actually compel me to do that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: I just, I don't get that. Like I, I can't square that circle. Hey. Oh, hey, hey, hey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we might need to ask Frosty about this a little bit. So unfortunately, I'm pending some sort of explanation of why this is the direction he took for the review and then didn't include any of the things that would actually sell me on that idea. We don't even have halves in here. I kind of want to give this a six and a half.
Speaker 1: Six and a half.
Speaker 2: Six and a half Keyblades out of ten.
Speaker 1: Six and a half Keyblades out of ten. I think that's reasonable, and I think for the same reasons, I'm going to give it probably a little lower than you. In a vacuum, I think it's a pretty good review. It's well-written. Like you said, the layout looks really good. At the time, it probably would have made sense to me, but in hindsight and knowing what I know about Kingdom Hearts and knowing what I know about the rest of the magazine... uh i just feel like the omission of final fantasy is just mind-boggling to me and so i would go i'd probably go down to a five um in a vacuum probably an eight i think it's a pretty decent review otherwise but like yeah with context i gotta bring that down to a five um i don't think you can be like hey man take this game seriously it's not just like kiddie like cartoony stuff like please like give it a chance and then not put any of the stuff that like makes it really compelling in there it's just uh i just can't yeah i can't wrap those two ideas together.
Speaker 2: Yeah me neither me neither okay all right that is our review of psm's review of kingdom hearts one to be clear did we get it right leave our review review at apple podcast post it as a comment on youtube we will read the best ones on the air and hey Go around and pass this show around to all of your friends like it's third grade and we're on the playground. Shout us out on Blue Sky, YouTube, TikTok, at FunFactorPod. Special thanks go to MillenniumFalc for all our amazing original music. Check out his work and incredible Windows 95 website at MillenniumFalc.com. Unlike these old magazines, you won't.
Speaker 1: Have to wait a whole month for your next installment. We drop new.
Speaker 2: Episodes every two weeks. So go to FunFactorPod.com to follow our show and your podcatcher of choice. Please consider becoming a member of Fun Factor Ultra, our premium tiers that unlock ad-free episodes, bonus episodes, and the swanky members-only channels of our Discord. You also get the links to join the live stream sessions where we record these episodes just like we are right now. Join our members in chat. Ask questions, react live. You will get shouted out. You have heard it in this episode already.
Speaker 1: You'll hear it again.
Speaker 2: I promise you cannot miss the sign-up widget on our homepage, funfactorpod.com. If you do, you and we will have a maximum score in Fun Factor.
Speaker 1: Can you hold tight for a sec just while I share my screen sure um yeah that way I'm not looking like a doofus trying to share my.
Speaker 4: Screen you can make that jump good girl yeah totally we can flip segue to the flip yeah we can.
Speaker 1: Sorry just skipping ahead in my script here um you know Maybe we'll get to that later, actually. OK. One second. So the. I don't I guess that's true. Vice City. So, OK. I think, though. I was going to get you to read a letter here, but I think we'll just move on. OK. So, yeah. Let me see if I had anything after that.
Speaker 2: But, yeah, one game for the first time again.
Speaker 1: All right, back. I can't believe we forgot X versus Sever. Well, we've already discussed that, and neither of us played it. So, you know. I have since played it. Sure, sure, sure. Okay. All right. There, there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, I wish I had.
Speaker 1: Game Boy Advance games. There's got to be some good ones. Asterix and Oblix. Is that the crazy 3D one? Oh, the comic. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Right? Yeah, there's some good ones here. Okay. Let's see what else. This is great. This is great audio.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. No, it isn't.