Speaker 1: Joining us now is our good friend from the Clemson Insider. It's Will Vandervoort. What's going on, my friend?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 1: Guys?
Speaker 2: How y'all doing?
Speaker 1: We're doing fantastic. We'll lead off with a quick Halloween question if you don't mind, do you have a favorite Halloween candy or even a mount Rushmore that you can nominate.
Speaker 2: Halloween candy? Not a big I'm not a big candy guy. I never have been, but if I had to go, I would say probably not be the the little Hershey's candy bars and the uh and and some maybe some either Reese's pieces.
Speaker 1: Reese's pieces are criminally underrated, very underrated. Yeah, so well let's stop into football. What we got you here? And Avart you can find him at the Clemson Insider. Just your progress report right now? On the Tigers, we haven't spoken in about a month probably, And look, it's been an interesting season so far. They had the open week, and I guess since you know the Georgia game, they have certainly made strides on offense. They've looked very potent on defensive times. Where would you grade this team right now? Overall?
Speaker 2: That's safely grant them overall, maybe an A right now, they can be better. A plus obviously would be better. But you know, I think they're solid A because when you win six straight and you win dominating fashion, you know you've proven you can you through some good things and done some good things. And defensively, I think is where the defense hasn't played. It's that game yet I do believe that. I do think they can do better, especially with the first team guys. So that's gotta be good. Make Twim's defense feel good because they know they're six and one and they can still play better, and they play I think offensively they're playing as bad as good as they can. And you know, I don't know if there's anything really you can critique negatively on the offense. I mean, offensive line has much improved, only allowed two sacks themselves all year. Uh the uh, that's just the offensive line being charged with sacks, by the way. The you know, Kate Klubmick obviously is is swinging it everywhere. Twenty touchdown, three interceptions. You know, he's got four rushing touchdowns and has really become a factor in the run game, taking care of the football on both both sides. And then the wide receivers, man, you know, they're much improved too, and you know, start off with you knows, even putting britting Steel in there. You know, Britney Steel's having a heck of a year, so is Antonio Williams. Obviously you've got more and you know Bryant west Coat doing their thing. And then also you know Troy Stilado and Adam Randall have been just hitch out as well and they've had their opportunity. So I just really don't see anything on the offensive side that I could be negative about. You know, where defensively there's some issues. You know, obviously at defensive end, they're still trying to figure some things out there. I think, you know, Shaheen loss has come around, like where he's at in his progression. I think on the back end, I think they on the last game they moved Khalil Barnes more back to the nickel position and put Griffin back there at safety. I think that was a good move because I think Khalil Barnes is more comfortable and plays better at that nickel position, and I think it showed against Virginia because he probably had his best game of the season. So if they can get better on that back end of the defense, and I think maybe they're taking steps to do that. They're gonna be They're gonna be challenging to get to beat. And if the defensive line can just continue to get better and they can start get more pressure on the on the quarterback like they did the last couple of weeks, you're gonna start seeing them get better as well. So yeah, there's there's some good things and bad things, But overall, I say, as seams of the age right now, Will Van.
Speaker 1: Der Voord, Clemson Insider joins us here game on always great to get his perspective and have a few laughs along the way. But on a serious note, you mentioned the offensive line. You mentioned Kay Club Nick. They are really playing as one right now, that whole group, and it's great to see. And you look at Club Nick. I think one thing Sweeney talked about I saw it reported on your website here the Clemson Insider that Club Nick's sort of willingness to be more active in the run game Dabo. Sweeney has pointed out that that's been a big plus for him. Just size up Club Nick his development. It's not just the offensive line. They've done a great job, and these receivers have stepped up big and I think the play calling has been great. But Clubnick on his own has really grown up in a very short amount of time here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has. I mean, and it helps him grow up when everybody's better around him. I mean, that's just for an insurre fact, you know. And but he's played, he's played phenomenal, you know, as I mentioned, And I think the difference in this offense this year is his ability to be a factor in the run game. You know, he's he's pulled when he needs to at the right time in the run pass option part of the game. And he's running for big yards. I mean, he's just not running like one or two yard touchdown runs. I mean he's running for like thirty forty yards out for touchdowns. Well what that does that really, he's really making defenses pay when they go man a man and he gets outside the pocket, right, and so you know that means teams have to do different things they don't want to do. Well, that's going to open up the run game already has you know, Clemson looks how balance Clemson has been right now, they're one of the most balanced teams in the country. They're averaging two hundred averaging almost three hundred yards of game throwing the football, and they're averaging two hundred yards of games running the football. I mean, that's all you want out of your offense, is your averaging nearly five hundred yards a game in total offense, you're averaging over forty points. And that's counting the Georgia game, by the way, in those numbers, so they're doing in the six game win straight, they're actually way over those in those numbers. So they got a good balance running the football. And I think club Nick being a part of running the football and being a factor in the run game is why that balance is showing, because it's just opening up everything in the offense. And when you look at Clemson and today with Trevor Lawrence and Deshaun Watson and Kelly Bryant there when the quarterbacks ran the football, they were part of the run game, yep, and they put stress on the defense. And with all the weapons Clemton has, you throw that factor in there now it's almost unstoppable. And that's why they've been so good this first half of the season.
Speaker 1: Well, it's been a couple of weeks, but I caught your podcast Believe in Clemson Football, and every week it's it's always a fun journey into not only you know, the present, but the past. And a couple of weeks ago, one of you know, your favorite people on the planet, CJ. Spiller, was honored by this great university. Let's just take a moment and have your perspective on what a great career, not only it's been for Spiller as a player, but off field and now in the coaching rings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's he's a friend of mine. I got to know CJ when he was a player. Actually, I started working with IPT Media at the time that CJ. You know that that Dabo's first year, say coach, and I really got to know CJ personally and who he is as a person, and you know, and he's just a great guy, just just really is. And getting to know that side of him was was really fun for me. And you know it's still it's still know him today and you know, see him through through what we do with our job and stuff like that, and you know, he's just one of those people man that he's just good on every side, you know, I mean, whether he's a football player, he's one of the best. Whether he's a coach, he's one of the best, and whether as just a person, he's one of the best. As a dad he's one of the best, and as a husband, one of the best. And he's just good people and and and he and he demands and that helps him win his run in his room, right in this running back room, because that makes by him being who he is and demands so much of himself, that forces his players understand how much he demands of them, and they respect it and understand it, and they want to play for him and play hard for him. And that's what you see out of his running back room. And uh, just so happy for CJ. Man really am just that he's in the not no surprise obviously that he's in the Ring of Honor, and as well deserved as anybody. He's up there with my good friend Levon now who was the last one before him, And it's just it was just awesome for me because he's the first player I've been doing this twenty years, guys. I know that sounds crazy, but I have. He's the first player during my twenty years that's now in the Ring of Honor that I covered at Clemson. So it's it is crazy, it's it's it's pretty special to say, hey, I watched his I remember when he played all four years at Clemson and what he did with the program, And you know, he is to Clemson football in this era that Steve Fuller was in the nineteen seventies and eighties. Steve Fuller, A lot of people don't know this or remember it. The old timers will, but Steve Fuller was like c J. Spiller, and he kind of proved everybody that, hey, a great player can't come to Clemson and have a great career and go on to the NFL and have a great career. When Steve Fuller proved that and put Clemson on the map with those seventy seven and seventy eight teams, it really sparked what we saw in the nineteen eighties and what Clemson did winning the national championship in eighty one and then going on and just having a dominant decade there under Danny Ford. Well, c J. Spiller is the guy that did that for Dabo Sweeney. He came back, he came to Clemson over Florida, and when everybody in America wanted him. He was a five star guy, and he came to Clemson and he ended up having a great career, went on to the NFL, had a great career as well. And then and what that did is that just showed the CJ. Excuse me, the TAJ Boyds and the Sammy Watkins and you know New Hopkins, those guys. It started it right and then by CJ doing it, those guys followed in line. And then Clemson came in and then you got to Shaun Watson, you got Trevor Lawrence, you got all those great receivers and Christian Wilkins, and I can go on and on and on, and then we see where they're at right now. And yeah, c J. Spiller is the guy that started it all man, and he did. You know, he deserves that credit.
Speaker 1: You can make the argument that, ya, he's one of the top two or three most instrumental players in the Sweeney era. I mean, as you mentioned, because it was right in that important time for Dabbo to spring that program forward in his formative years. And certainly congrats to CJ. Spiller in his entire family as he's honored by the University there. Shifting gears now you got Louisville coming up here, an interesting team with some some good offensive weapons. Let's get your perspective on what lies ahead for Clemson here, seven thirty kickoff down at the Valley this Sunday or this Saturday. I should say, by the way.
Speaker 2: And get right to that. I would be remiss though, if I didn't mention that this week, sit in your seats at halftime because Sammy Watkins and Tyj's boy, we're going to be honored in the Clinton Hall of Fame, in the Athletic Hall of Fame. So I want to give those guys their credit to Yeah, as they were, they're like CJ. They kind of got this whole thing going, and they deserve that credit. It's good to see those guys looking forward to obviously I see Taj a lot, but obviously looking forward to seeing Sammy back in Clemson. But as far as the game goes, this is a huge game, guys, for Clemson as they start that stretch here in the season where they got Louisville this week. Next week they go to Virginia Tech, and then two weeks ago they go two weeks from now, they go to Pittsburgh. Listen, if Clemson. We've already found out by the way the tiebreaker works, the possibility to have a three way tie in the ACC. So regardless, if Clemson can win these next two games, regardless Clymtson's going to Pittsburgh, We're into orange pants. I mean, it's a championship game, a chance to clinch a birth in the a SEC Championship game, going to Pittsburgh here in a few weeks. So it starts with Louisville first. I mean, they got to win this game. I mean it's huge and what they want to do, and they want to get to the AC Championship game. They want to make the colleg football playoff and they need to get there. They got to win this game. But also this game is huge in the sense of what's happening on Tuesday night. And I'm not talking about the elections. I'll talk about the colleg football payoffs because that's what we care about, and the college football playoffs. Initial rankings are coming out on Tuesday night.
Speaker 1: I'm excited, man, I can't wait for that. The ones that something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this means something. So it's important that Clemson play well this week and show off themselves to the committee. They don't have to blow Louisville out because it was a good team. The committee knows Louisville is a good team. The important thing is that Clemson shows themselves how what kind of team they are to the committee. Win the game and he play well winning the game. That's going to do wonders, I think for Clemson. And add that to what they've already done. And I know people have to say, well, well, what's Clinton's strength to schedule is not any good? Well, here's the thing, we don't know what this committee is looking for yet. We're going to find that out on Tuesday night. Because some committees in the past have been big on strength to schedule. Some committees in the past have been big on yeah, you don't got a very good strength to schedule, by how dominant have you been in your wins? Well, Clinton's been dominant in their wins. And if Clemson's able to play well against a good Louisville team and win and look good doing it, I think that's going to bode wonders for Clemson. And what you hope is they start off this rankings in the top ten, because then that'll give them opportunities with Virginia Tech and Pittsburgh and South Carolina in the next few weeks to get some good wins to add on to that resume. And I know people are saying John Rofe, people like yeah, but well about the automatic birth. You don't got to worry about that, you do because you don't know what's going to happen in the championship game. You just can't assume Clinton is winning the ACC anymore. So you want Clinton's resume to look good to when they get DACY championship game. They're sitting in the top six. They don't have to get in the top five in this there, but they're in that top six. When the regular season is over, going to Charlotte, then Clinton, I think, is in the playoff regardless of what happens in d ACY championship game. That's why these next few weeks are so big for Clemson.
Speaker 3: Steve Will on Twitter, Will, I've got some Pittsburgh questions here for you, right A lot of the focus, rightfully, so, is there on the offense, especially with the you know, the quarterback changes. And I do want to get your take on Russell Wilson and what he brings to this offense and how he has performed, at least in the two starts that he's had here in Pittsburgh. But I also want to ask you and get your take on this defense, this Pittsburgh defense, namely kind of in the first half of games and also when it comes to stopping teams on third downs. Obviously, the defense has been really well when it comes to I mean, obviously third quarters they're holding teams to zero points, but just second half in general, this team really dominates on defense.
Speaker 4: What do you what do you contribute?
Speaker 3: At least from my perspective, kind of a slower start there in the first half of these games for the defense.
Speaker 2: Well, one thing is they got to show up the run game it you know, teams are coming out Dallas did it to them, and then the Giants the other day. Teams that you don't expect to run the football that well against Pittsburgh had done it. Yea, And so you got a couple of weeks here. You better figure it out during this off week because you know, in two weeks are playing you know, the Ravens who do nothing but run the football till everybody they're doing so you know, they got to figure it out here pretty fast. But I think part of it is just guys are getting out of their gaps and are just the run laying. Integrity is not there, and I think, you know, they're just just getting killed on that back side of it. And you saw that the other night against the Giants, and so I think that's the number one thing they got to get better at stopping the run and then allowing those chunk plays. When they do it, seems like they'll have a team second and you know, and I think part of us because they got such a great pass rush, but they'll have a team second and fifteen and they're thinking, Okay, they're gonna throw the football and then guys just rush up field. And the Giants killed them with the delayed draw, and so did Dallas, and so there's an issue there self. Scouting this week's going to be able to find it probably what's actually happening, so they can concentrate on fixing it. They did a better job adjusting to that, I think, more so in the second half, even though they did give that long touchdown run when they got up two scores there, So you know, that's part of the problem for him on defense. But then they you know, they make adjustments, and that's one good thing they've been good after this year. And like you said, they've been good at getting off the field when those opportunities have come up, and that's been much better this year too. Limiting the penalties as well. You know, the Steelers don't don't. They don't get penalized too much knock on wood with my jinx and anything here, you know, But they've been really good about, you know, not being penalized, especially on the big stupid plays like a pass interference penalty or a holding bells out you know, when the bell out plays is what I call them, Yeah, you know, And so they they've been real good about limiting those things. And then of course, guys, they got T. J. Watt and if teams would start allowing, would start official would called a hole at least. Yeah, I think I think it would least help this. I can't. I've been keeping a running count throughout the last five or six teams, and so like, the Steelers will get called on the average three times for holding during the game and the opposing team only one. And I'm sitting there thinking, are you trying to tell me that the Steelers pass rush on defense is not as good as the other teams. I mean, I don't believe that to be the case. Obviously he's got t J. Watt and Alex high Smith and Alex high Smith by the way, twelve pressures.
Speaker 1: The other day, he was a crazy game those Jets, those Giants off offensive tackles that I know. Alamelor was sort of saying, I'm ready, I'm ready.
Speaker 4: Afterwards he came back, he said he didn't do anything. I held him on an island.
Speaker 1: I was there by constantly. It's amazing. Dexter Lauren. I mean they kept him in check. Dexter huh. He unbelievably led the league in sacks coming to that game with nine. A Clemson product will, I mean, this guy's been on fire this year.
Speaker 2: Well, they did a good job against Dexter Lawrence, says Night as far as not letting him sack Russell Wilson. Yeah, but he's still but Dexter Lawrence still dominated that game there. He was still there. He was making plays. Dexter Lawrence is just unbelievable. There's one play where he took the Steelers center and right guard shoved him aside. It was it was unbelievable. He's that. He is so fun to watch play. Man. I wish he was wearing black and gold, I know it, and not that blue and white, because man, he was. Man, if you had him with Cam Haywood, forget about, it would be fair. Forget about you know, in the middle of that defense, it wouldn't be fair. So yeah, dex is launch playing well. But I thought I thought Russell Wilson, you know, in the offense, I thought was much better. Again, as they continue to get better, I was a guy in the camp you know that. You know, with Russell Wilson got healthy, you need to put him in the lineup and you and because I felt like the offense needed that because he just sees the game better than justin field. Bill gives you, Yeah, the electrifying runs and stuff like that, and that's great. But the NFL is about passing the football, and you got to be able to throw the football. If not, teams are gonna just load up the box and eventually going to stop you. Dominant. Yeah, look how dominant you know, Nagie Harris has been. Now you know, you're getting better and better each week. And so I mean, and George Pickens now and and and Donnelle Washington. Oh my gosh, you know these weapons are coming out of nowhere, and those students were this good. I'm like, yes they are. They just didn't quarterback. I could throw it to him.
Speaker 1: Problem was running angry in that game A left over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's run angry. He's run angry in every game this year. You could tell the contract year and also the Steelers that picked up that year the offer. See you, I guarantee you by the end of the season. The way he's running, he's gonna get it. He's going to get signed before Steven by the Steelers, before brilliancy starts Ie.
Speaker 1: Make him mad and then cash in on the Yeah.
Speaker 4: Will uh?
Speaker 3: With one extra question, with all the all the wide receiver trade rumors that keep going around and Steelers have landed Cooper Cump and I you can everybody, how's the feel that, Uh, Deontay Johnson's going to the Ravens hurts a little bit and it stings a little bit.
Speaker 2: It's things it does because it's Deontay Johnson's own fault. So I can't really I can't really be like all mad at the Steelers about it because he was being he was being a brat and all he had to do is just wait a week and they signed Russell Wilson, you know, and.
Speaker 1: Y'all and y'all got Dante Jackson out of it, who has three picks right now, and the Panthers got I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying, I can't feel bad because Jackson all he's doing is lead the team interceptions.
Speaker 1: He's so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's playing very well opposite Joey Porter Jr. I can't complain about it. I mean, good luck to him over there in Baltimore. I hope we beat the crap out of him in a couple of weeks. I'm gonna be up there watching that game and I'll be booing him with the rest of I think.
Speaker 4: Joey Porter Junior is going to follow him that week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it'll be to be Dante Jackson Yontay Johnson, the battle of former Panthers. How about that? Will we taking too much of your time?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: You too kind. He's the host of the Believe in Clemson Football podcast and just great work with the Clemson Insider, and he's a Rabbit Steelers fan. There's six and two, baby, Let's ride will Vanvo first place going into bye week feeling good man.
Speaker 2: Feeling great, feeling great, and we'll see fun Man.
Speaker 1: We'll see in Clemson on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Brother, all right, man, we'll see you guys.