Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the audio broadcast ministry of Pastor Rick Warren. Well, today we continue in our series called fifty Days of Faith. In these lessons, Rick looks into God's word to discover the true meaning of faith and explore ways we can strengthen it. But first, today, when you join our partner and Hope family by signing up for automated monthly giving, we'll send you a special welcome gift as our way of saying thanks. To find out more, go to Pastorick dot com while you listen to today's message, or simply text the word hope to eight hundred, six hundred five thousand and four. That's the word hope to eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. Right now, here's Pastor Rick Warren with the final part of a message called following God's Directions.
Speaker 2: God cares about details.
Speaker 3: Have you ever looked at nature?
Speaker 2: You pick up a little flower and look at the intricacies inside that flower. God cares about details. The Bible says every hair on your head is numbered by God. God cares about details. Now, because God is a God of detail, he is infinitely interested in every detail of your life, and he is infinitely interested that when you obey him, you don't just obey him, but why you obey him, and how you obey him? Are you doing it in the right way and for the right reason. Let me give you an example. Now I'm not saying this is true, but let's just imagine. My wife Kay says Rick, I want you to move Joshua's double bed from upstairs downstairs in our house, but wait until Matthew comes home from school so he can help you to get it down the stairs. And I think, you know, I can do this on my own. I you know, I'm bacho and I don't want to wait. And so I get the beds, you know, the box springs, and the mattress and this huge you know frame and everything, and I start scooting it down the stairs by myself. But because I can't get it all away by myself, I start scratching the wall and knocking paint chips off and putting things in the plaster and knocking off all kinds of you know, uh, pictures on the wall. And I get it to the bottom of the stairs.
Speaker 3: And she's upset.
Speaker 2: Now I'm not saying this is a true story, but in this hypothetical situation, I said, well, you know what's you know what's what's the big deal? I did what you add asked me to do. I got it downstairs and she said yes, but you didn't do it the way I asked. Now, let me tell you what love is. Love is when you say, I'll do it the way you want it done.
Speaker 3: That's love.
Speaker 2: I will do it the way you want it done because I love you. And let me tell you what faith is. Faith is I'll do it the way you want it done because I trust that you know the best way to do it. When you love God, and when you trust God, you say, God, I'll not only obey you, I'll obey you the way you want me to do it. When you want me to do it for the right reason you want me to do it. I will do it your way because I love you and I trust you. Faith is trusting God in the details of life. Look at this next verse Proverbs three to five. Trust God from the bottom of your heart. Don't try to figure out everything on your own. One day there was a man who was ill. His name was Naming, and he had leprosy. And he came to Elijah and He said, I'm a very famous man, but I've got leprosy.
Speaker 3: What do I do? And Elijah said, 'h to you?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: Just to show your faith, God.
Speaker 2: Wants you to go down to the Jordan River and dunk yourself under it seven times.
Speaker 3: And he goes, you gotta be kidding. He said no.
Speaker 2: He says, well, it's humiliating. He said, yeah, it's humbling yourself for God. He goes, there are a lot better rivers, Jordan rivers, a muddy river.
Speaker 3: Just do it.
Speaker 2: So he goes down and he starts dunking himself one, two, three, four, five, six. He's still got leprosy. He had to do it completely. And on the seventh time he comes up and he was cured of his leprosy. Special power in the water, absolutely not. It was because he was obedient to God. He had faith and he obeyed God completely. You know what Jesus says. He says, if you trust me in the details of life, if you are faithful in the little things, it means you trust me and I will reward you with bigger things in heaven. If you're faithful little thinks, you will be faithful and much and you will have greater responsibility, greater reward and greater joy in heaven incomplete obedience. Partial obedience is not only disobedience, it's the lack of trust. This week, I got this letter through an email. In nineteen ninety, I opened up a video store as a side business. I decided to carry adult videos since they make up thirty percent of all video rentals revenues. But a couple of years ago I began attending saddleback and one day I told my wife, how can I ask God to help our store when I don't do what he wants? I got to get rid of those adult videos. My business partner cent Are you crazy? We depend on that income. But I knew we couldn't expect God's blessing unless I obeyed him, and so we got rid of him all of them. The first weekend without the adult video, something strange happened. I was flooded with new customers, and I didn't know why. Then everybody told me that you, pastor Rick had told everyone to come in and rent a video just to support our decision. Boy did they come. I had to call all our employees in just to handle the crowds. I eventually closed that store, but I've never forgotten that lesson about obeying God even when it doesn't make sense. My life changed, and I committed to doing whatever God wants. I was baptized and became a member, and so did my partner. After we closed that store, I still had my job in the trash business, which I'd been in for eighteen years, but our company was bought out and I was fired.
Speaker 3: That was devastating.
Speaker 2: An attorney gave me plenty of legal reasons to sue, but again I knew that I had to obey God and not seek revenge. It was another test. It was also a witness to those who saw how I responded. A few months later, a relative suggested that I start my own trash business and he'd invest in it. So I did, and it began growing like wildfire. Then one day he suddenly needed his money back, so he sold the company without my knowledge, to my old employer, the one who had fired me.
Speaker 3: I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: My business was gone, and adding insult to injury, sold.
Speaker 3: To the very people who had cheated me.
Speaker 2: Once again, I had to step back and think about why had God allowed this and how he would want me to respond?
Speaker 3: Made no sense. At the moment, But God had a plan.
Speaker 2: It ended up with the company who refused to pay me severance having to pay me way more when they bought my business. When you do the right thing and trust God, he takes care of you. Obey God immediately and completely. Number three, you want the blessing of God in your life, you must obey God joyfully, joyfully. Psalm one hundred, verse two says obey him gladly Palone, nineteen sixteen. I enjoy obeying your commands Someone nineteen forty seven. I find pleasure in obeying your commands. Why how is it enjoyable to do what God tells you to do, to follow the instructions, to obey his command?
Speaker 3: How is that enjoyable? Three reasons.
Speaker 2: Number One, because I'll have fewer problems if I follow the instruction manual for life that God the Creator laid out. It's going to have a whole lot more benefit and fewer problems in my life.
Speaker 3: When you're putting.
Speaker 2: Together bicycle, does it help the follow the instructions?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Rick will be back in just a moment with the rest of today's lesson. If you've missed any part of today's teaching, you can listen online anytime at pastor Rick dot com. That's pastorick dot com.
Speaker 4: The Bible says children are a gift from the Lord. Do you have kids, grandkids, nieces, nephews, or kids in your neighborhood that need to know God loves them and has a good plan for their lives. You can help them get closer to God by encouraging them to read God's Word. That's why we're so excited to tell you about a very special resource just for kids called God's Big Plans for Me. It's a storybook Bible by Pastor Rick Warren. This two hundred and twenty three page hardcover children's book includes forty well loved Bible stories to help kids engage with God's word. Each Byble story has an introduction from pasta wreck that helps young readers understand the Word of God, and a closing thought with a practical step boys and girls can take to discover God's Big Plans for them. Their eyes will light up as they turn the beautifully illustrated pages and really start to get what God wants to say to their young hearts and minds. God's Big Plans for Me is so much more than just a book filled with cute pictures of Bible characters. It's a fun and effective way to introduce children to God's everlasting truth. This book makes a great gift. You'll want to get a copy for every child in your life. And today, when you give a gift to help Pastor Rick's Daily Hope take the certain Hope of Jesus Christ around the world, we'll send you a copy of God's Big Plans for Me Storybook Bible to say thanks. Just call eight hundred and six hundred five zero zero four or go to Pastorick dot com to get your very own copy of God's Big Plans for Me Storybook Bible. And if you choose to become a Partner in Hope with the automated monthly giving, we'll also send you a very special welcome gift to show our appreciation. That's Pastorick dot com or you can call eight hundred at six hundred at five zero zero four thank you so much for your support. There are only three days left to become a Partner and Hope and receive your special welcome gift, so don't wait, and don't forget to let us know which radio station you heard us on.
Speaker 2: Hi, it's Pastor Rick with some big news. My daily devotional is now available in French.
Speaker 3: If you know somebody who.
Speaker 2: Would enjoy reading the devotionals in French, would you please.
Speaker 3: Email me and I'll send you a link to sign up.
Speaker 2: My email is Rick at pastorick dot com. That's Rick at pastorick dot com.
Speaker 1: Now back to more from God's Word with Pastor Rick Warren.
Speaker 2: If I follow the instruction manual for life that God the Creator laid out, it's going to have a whole lot more benefit and fewer problems.
Speaker 3: In my life.
Speaker 2: When you're putting together or bicycle, does it help to follow the instructions. Yeah, so you'll have fewer problems in life. So that makes it enjoyable. Number two, I know I'm going to be rewarded in heaven and I can see all those promises that God has made.
Speaker 3: And number three, it's.
Speaker 2: Enjoyable because I love God. I know what He's done for me, so I love him and I want to obey him.
Speaker 3: Look at the next verse.
Speaker 2: Loving God means doing what he tells us to do. You know, in marriage, the longer you live together. The more you know what offends and grieves your your partner, your husband or your wife. And you don't know that when you first get married. But the longer you're married, the more you figure out what will offend that person, like blowing your nose at the dinner table or leaving the set up. You know, you learn what offends your partner. Oh, come on, but if you love that person. The longer you're married, the less you do those things because you don't want to offend them.
Speaker 3: You love them. You don't want to grieve them. You love them. When you walk with the Lord.
Speaker 2: Through many years, the more you realize what God has done for you, how good He's been to you, the less you want to offend God.
Speaker 3: You enjoy doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: You enjoy keeping his commands, and you do it because you love God. Do you know how God measures your love? Not by what you say, Oh, I love you, I praise you. God measures your love by your obedience, by how well you follow directions. Jesus said, if you love me, keep my commandments. That's how we prove our love. Now, I said earlier, it's better to obey God, even with the wrong motivation and disobey. But if you do that, you'll start letting the love develop in your life. If you want the blessings of God in your life, you obey him immediately, completely, joyfully.
Speaker 3: And continually.
Speaker 2: That's the fourth continually because life is not a fifty yard dash, it's a marathon. And you obey God, not sporadically. Now this year, not next year, yes, next year, no, the next year after that, it's all your life.
Speaker 3: Look at these verses.
Speaker 2: So I'm one, nineteen one twelve, I am determined to obey you until I die.
Speaker 3: Have you made that choice? I have.
Speaker 2: I have made the choice that I am determined to obey God until I die. And the blessings in my life have been beyond my wildest dream because I am determined to obey God for the rest.
Speaker 3: Of my life.
Speaker 2: Look at the next verse. This would be a good verse for you to put on your refrigerator door. Just tell me what to do, and I'll do it. Lord, as long as I live, I'll wholeheartedly obey. Just tell me what to do, and I'll do it. Make that your prayer and somebody saying, Rick, why doesn't God tell me what to do? I've been prayers saying what should I do in this situation? And I'll tell you why he hadn't told you, because you're not already doing what he's already told you to do. God does not play games where you say, God, tell me what to do and then I will decide whether to do it or not.
Speaker 3: He's not gonna tell you that way.
Speaker 2: No, you say, God in advance, I'm telling you I'm going to do whatever you tell me to do.
Speaker 3: That's faith. And then he'll tell you. Why should God tell you what.
Speaker 2: To do in this circumstance that you're worried about when you're not already doing the things you already know to be the will of God and you ought to have done and haven't. Why haven't you already done? Why is He going to to give you further revelation when you haven't acted on the truth he's already told you.
Speaker 3: Look at the next verse. We must be sure to obey the truth we have learned.
Speaker 2: Already already now the last six weeks, in this fifty Days of Faith, I've been giving you a lot of truth about faith.
Speaker 3: Have you acted on it? Have you done anything about it?
Speaker 2: You see, we kid ourselves thinking if I'm hearing about faith and just learning and taking notes, then I'm growing. No, the Bible says, faith without actions is dead. You have to act on it. It's acting on faith that makes you grow, not just listening and taking notes. It's doing something about it. So inside your program, I want you to pull out this action sheet, the fifty Days of Faith, putting my faith into action. It is amazing that you could sit through an entire message on obedience, walk out and do nothing about it. And yet the Bible says, notice the verse, so to the top of that page. Faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by actions, is dead. Now these statements here are what we've talked about for the last seven weeks. The first week we talked about faith is expecting the best even when things don't look good. And then the second week in this series, we talked about faith is stretching my imagination even when I'm.
Speaker 3: Full of doubt. Maybe you need to think bigger.
Speaker 2: The third week we talked about faith is taking the initiative even when I feel like procrastinating. Week five we talked about faith is persisting even when I feel like giving up. Last week we talked about faith is giving my tithe back to God even when I think I can't afford it. And this week we've talked about faith is doing whatever God tells me, even when it doesn't make sense. Now I want you to put it into action. So I want you to pick one of these things right now, or maybe two, and write down an action step. What am I going to do right now?
Speaker 3: Ready?
Speaker 2: Go write down one action step? Because faith without action is dead. And while you're writing that down, Pastor Tom is going to come up and sing a rendition of feelings, just seeing if you're listening. Okay, go ahead, write down an action step. I don't care which of these you choose. Just pick one that God has spoken to you on that you know He's told you to do something here? Are you going to do it? Or are you going to delay?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Folks, what we're talking about this morning is the most basic fundamental thing of Christianity. Not everybody who claims to be a Christian is one. Not everybody who claims to know Jesus Christ is going to heaven. Look at the last verse on your outline. It's an issue of obedience. Matthew seven twenty one. Not all people who sound religious are really godly. They may refer to me as Lord, but they still won't enter heaven.
Speaker 3: This is Jesus talking.
Speaker 2: The decisive issue is whether they obey my Father.
Speaker 3: It's all in obedience. Let's bow our heads as we close. Let me ask you a couple of questions.
Speaker 2: What does your obedience to God reveal about your faith and love? Is your obedience to God immediate or delayed? Is it complete or is it partial? Well, God won't care about this one little area. I'm sure it's.
Speaker 3: Okay for me to do this.
Speaker 2: Is it joyful or is it reluctant? Is it continual or is it spasmodic? What do you know is the right thing to do, but you've been putting it off?
Speaker 3: Where has your obedience been.
Speaker 2: Incomplet when you know it and you haven't done it. Why don't you pray this prayer in your heart?
Speaker 3: Father? There are many areas in my life where I know what you want me to do. I just haven't done it, and I'm sorry. I'm really sorry.
Speaker 2: Please forgive me for my disobedience. I now realize today that it was a lack of faith. I wasn't trusting that you knew best. I ask you Jesus Christ, to give me the strength to follow your directions immediately, completely, joyfully, and continually for the rest of my life from this day forward. And I am going to trust you to fulfill all these promises in my life.
Speaker 3: In your name, I pray. Amen.
Speaker 2: Hi everybody, this is Rick and I hope you enjoyed today's broadcast. You know, if you just prayed that prayer for the very first time, or you just recommitted your life to Jesus again today, would you let me know about it. There's something real about sharing your commitment. So write me Rick at pastor Rick dot com and say, Rick, I prayed that prayer of commitment, I gave my life to Christ. And I'll send you some material that will help you on your journey with Jesus. And I'll also pray for you. God bless you.
Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's daily hope. Rick will be right back to close out our time today. But first, over the last couple of years, we've all experienced worldwide changes and events that have impacted us in profound and sometimes unimaginable ways. For many of us, those changes will impact our lives for years to come. Pastor Rick believes that now more than ever, people need God's word and the hope that it brings. That's why he'd like to invite you to become a partner in Hope. Here's rick to tell you more.
Speaker 2: No matter where you're listening to this program right now around the world, I want to thank you for your support of Daily Hope. Your prayers and your financial contributions are literally helping people all over the world learn about the hope that we have in Jesus. Did you know that in just a short time, people from over two hundred countries have visited the Daily Hope website and we have listeners all throughout the United States, India, Africa, South America, Australia, Korea, Hong Kong, Europe, all over the Middle East. In fact, right now, someone's listening to this broadcast and getting to know Jesus because of your prayer and because of your financial support. So I just wanted to say thank you. Your support means so much to me personally, and I want you to know that I take your trust very seriously. Every single dollar you donate to Daily Hope goes right back into the ministry. You know that I don't take a salary from Daily Hope. You're never going to hear about K and me owning a private jet or some boat, because we want to invest as much as possible into God's Kingdom, because that's what's gonna matter for eternity. Jesus said, do not store up for yourselves treasure on earth, and I believe Jesus meant it when he said that. Now we want Daily Hope to reach more and more people. So I would appreciate you prayerfully continuing your support of this ministry. Would you pray about it? Here's the prayer I want you to pray. God, what do you want to give through me? I would love to have you as a partner in Hope.
Speaker 1: To become a partner in Hope with convenient, automated monthly giving, just go to Pastorick dot com or call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. When you do, we'll send you a special bonus welcome gift and God's Big Plans for me storybook Bible to say thanks again. That's Pastorick dot com or call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. There are only three days left to become a Partner in Hope and receive your special welcome gift, So don't wait and don't forget to let us know which radio station you hurt us on. Be sure to join us next time as we look into God's word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support