Speaker 1: Presenting Orson Wells as the Third Man, The Lives of Harry Lyon, the fabulous stories of the immortal character originally created in the motion picture The Third Man with the music by Anton Carris.
Speaker 2: That was the shot that killed Harry Lyon. He died in a sewer beneath the as those of you know who saw the movie The Third Man. Yes, that is the end of harryline, but it was not the beginning. Now, he had many lines, and I can tell you about all of them. How because my name is Harry nine. Now kid is London, which is the capital of England. He's noted for a number of curious historical events. King Charles was beheaded in London. They had a fire there and a plague, and it was also the place where Harry Lyme broke three music boxes and founded an orphan asylum. Please don't ever say I'm not a music lover. I'm a philanthropist, because I'm not.
Speaker 1: And all Orson Welles as Harry Lyon the Third Man, is today's story. Operation music Box.
Speaker 3: Good absolute, mister down lights matter, I'm interested in a music box, no matter, we haven't none, but I'm doing get them just a moment.
Speaker 4: Though, mister down, I'm only interested.
Speaker 5: He didn't hear you. I think you must be a little death. Thank you, sir. You know you make me homesick. What do you mean? Don't you know what it is to be homesick? I should do.
Speaker 3: I've only been away a few weeks night Sert may like to be back.
Speaker 5: But why do I make you homesick?
Speaker 2: And you make me think of Central Park in the Fountain better Priza, it'sis Avenue in the morning in May, and the sound of roller skating on the sidewalk downtown who just shipping on the easter.
Speaker 6: Everything in see How do you know I come from New York?
Speaker 7: It just gets Jesus line.
Speaker 5: Oh, thank you, mister mister and whistle madam.
Speaker 7: These all music boxes we have. These two are seventeenth.
Speaker 6: Sentuary and this one eighteen century.
Speaker 3: That's the latitude I should have explained, mister Darnie. I don't care if the music boxers were made in the seventeenth, eighteen or nineteenth century.
Speaker 8: I don't care when they were made.
Speaker 4: What I want to know is when did you buy them them.
Speaker 6: Sure, there's the value of music box lives and when it was made, not when it was born not to me, mister Dudley.
Speaker 3: I'm only interested to know whether you purchased any music boxes between February and June of last year. We will have to sell antiques, Miss Jepick, missus Chepick not to disclose records that are purchases.
Speaker 2: So if you'll excuse me, Bunny and I guess what this lady's trying to say that she's ready to buy any music boxes you have to purchase during that period that she's done.
Speaker 3: I'm not trying to say anything. I'm quite favorable, but like you myself understood.
Speaker 4: Thank yous.
Speaker 6: Do I take it that it is, mister nive just yes?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 7: In that case, we'll see what you can do for you.
Speaker 6: What do our records, says Interwesting Ah, yes, sir, let me see.
Speaker 9: Yes, during the pleading questions, we are repurchased four music boxes as three of which have since been sold, and the fourse it's one mister Dudley's holy because moment now.
Speaker 3: I look at it, mister Dudliner, the hammer.
Speaker 5: Yes, you're not going to buy this music box just to smash it up, are you?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 10: Your mind all right with me? You've never heard of such a thing experien interesting in seach I've never heard of.
Speaker 3: Did you care? You can name your.
Speaker 6: Own prime little mats and that doesn't stand, I think, miss Cheffick.
Speaker 10: I do like to see beautiful things ruefully destroyed.
Speaker 3: I said you could name your own price, mister Dudley.
Speaker 6: In that case, I must warn you the price will be stiff. One good, miss Chaffick, the hammer very well.
Speaker 5: Is this a hambit of yours? Breaking up music box?
Speaker 3: So you don't know how many have broken up in a last week?
Speaker 4: Here comes your hammer.
Speaker 3: You are, mister Chick, Thank you.
Speaker 5: No good and want to distructions?
Speaker 6: Jackick? Who will cost you exactly? That's if I thought.
Speaker 3: It's okay, mister Dudley. But I'd like you to do one thing more for me, if you will, I'd like you to let me have the names and addresses of the people about those other three. This prize for that too.
Speaker 2: Oh, get your taxes.
Speaker 7: I thought he was going to refuse to give you those addresses.
Speaker 8: Well he didn't did.
Speaker 2: Actually he's trying that on the fact.
Speaker 3: I know he's waiting for me. In that case, you can give me a list going in the same direction.
Speaker 5: That's just what you're wrong.
Speaker 2: And that's how I met mena cheik. My interest in this girl was two full. First of all, she definitely started with a petty girls left off. And second thing, it's this is a matter of the music boxes. My left little toe was twitching. Could have been the damp weather, of course it was me.
Speaker 5: It's usually a sign that money is in the air.
Speaker 2: Anyway, And all lady, we were on our fourth marteenie and murder was beginning to unbend. Now, come on, Maner, what is all this? What's the idea of busting up all those music boxes?
Speaker 3: Have you heard of yanchepik?
Speaker 5: You mean the Czechoslovaki got the politicians? Yeah, once you got to do with it.
Speaker 3: And the day before he died, he wrote me a letter from London, who knew my place? Yeah, yeah, you can read.
Speaker 5: It, my dear Maner.
Speaker 2: He will not know me except as from seeing my picture and the paper many years ago. But then that is not surprising, cause I only know you from seniors. The other day I happened to see him an old issue of the American magazine Explorer, a colored four prograph of Millner traffic. I couldn't help her, marking the resemblance to your mother and my sister who left for Americas from twenty five years ago.
Speaker 7: And you have the ard of this kind.
Speaker 6: Did your mother ever mentioned Oh, not that I remember.
Speaker 5: Uh. I probably took your mother's name, not your father.
Speaker 6: My father's a lan Chapick.
Speaker 3: He was a coal miner in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: I was funny think your mother marrying a man of the same name, wasn't it Well, as.
Speaker 3: A matter of fact, it working as she was an Italian.
Speaker 5: And the man of that is that it wasn't your uncle.
Speaker 2: Noah, he couldn't have been it.
Speaker 3: You know what, I'm talking too much.
Speaker 5: I don't know whether it's you or the more teenagers.
Speaker 7: Both well?
Speaker 8: Good, he had redirected it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now, my dear niece, this is a painful task which I have performed it.
Speaker 5: But really there is no possible choice.
Speaker 2: You must know that when the Communists seized control in my country, a price was put on my head and I only managed to escape at the very last moment by concealing myself in the tail of an American airline then, which was leaving Prague that night. Like many others in Europe in those terrible last years, I managed only to take away with me the meagrest to positions, a small traveling case, light enough for me to carry, for I was ailing and feeble even men. I have said that the purpose of this letter is a painful one, but perhaps you will not find it so, because after all you do not know me, and surely will not receive the news of my death with any sorrow. That the fact is that I will be gone by the time you read these words, for which are not intended so much for a farewell. People who don't know each other can very well say goodbye, can they? But as a last will and testament, I am leaving you the contents of my little suitcase manner, a few shirts and necktie, and the unfinished manuscript of my last book. These you will not find very exciting, I'm afraid, and I can't imagine you're traveling across the ocean to cram such an inheritance. That there is a music box manner, hm, it's the only thing of value I could take away with me on my flight. I want you to have it, and I give you my word that it will be worth your trouble to come after it. The landlady, who is not a sympathetic woman has not been entrusted with secret and unluckily she has not been paid for the rent of this ANTIQ room for several weeks. By the time you come to London, she would have sold it. And you must find off where I am took home, and you must be attack. And now my hand is very tired, and I can't go on pushing this pen across the paper.
Speaker 5: From many more.
Speaker 2: Words, I send my blessing to the child with my sister who has.
Speaker 5: Inherited her wonderful green eyes. And also something else, almost as wonderful, and almost as green your uncle.
Speaker 2: Hum almost as wonderful. I was as green that I could be emerald. And you think the amras are concealed in the music book in a false bottom.
Speaker 11: Now I don't think it.
Speaker 3: I know it, and I'm gonna get those ammals if I have to break up every music box in London.
Speaker 5: I left then a good deal.
Speaker 2: Later that night, he had a wonderful time. I had a promise that we meet the next evening. I have said something else. I had that list from Dowdley's.
Speaker 5: Antique shop, So I know what you're thinking. You're thinking. I pinched it out of her purse and you're right, but I did.
Speaker 2: Somewhere in London there were three music boxes, and one of those three was.
Speaker 5: A fortune in Emeralds.
Speaker 2: And I've always been a great believer in the old adage finders keepers, So if anybody was going to break up.
Speaker 5: Any music boxes, it was going to be me. Good morning. Is miss Moyer a court battle at home?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: The any idea where she's gone?
Speaker 3: Well, I wouldn't I to say for sure, But wait, the tribe, the Velvet pen.
Speaker 2: The velvet there's a night club, Velvet Penguin, but a night this is ten o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 6: That's where she'll see.
Speaker 1: Wars and Wells returns in just a moment as the Third Man.
Speaker 7: And now orson Wells.
Speaker 1: As the Third Man continues with today's story, Operation Music Box.
Speaker 2: And like all nightclubs, the Velvet Penguin looked more than ordinarily squalid.
Speaker 5: At ten thirty in the morning.
Speaker 2: Most of the chairs will pile up under the tables and by the glare will work right and an happy looking character Church Sleeves was founding a piano, a girl was singing, three or four other girls were waiting their turn, while a committee of fat, sleek gentlemen sat in judgment.
Speaker 10: Okay, enough, we get the idea. Wats your name again?
Speaker 7: Battles when the ligion openem turns up. Don't call us, We'll call you next.
Speaker 5: Hard name good court Bottle.
Speaker 6: Yes, my name is Lime.
Speaker 5: I'd like to talk to you for a minute.
Speaker 2: You don't mind.
Speaker 3: What's it about a job? I'm not interested, just about it, not of this audition, like it as I can't take after the whole covery game. Lets so soon go back to singing in front of a band, even in the small.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I just wanted to ask you about that music box. You bought it Doubdley's last favorite take none exactly.
Speaker 5: You did buy one, though, didn't you.
Speaker 7: Yes, I did, But it didn't do any good.
Speaker 5: What do you mean it didn't do any good? It would soften him up? Soften whom miss cart My uncle?
Speaker 3: Of course, My uncle's then you called fat?
Speaker 7: You know General Coffer?
Speaker 4: No, I don't know.
Speaker 3: You mean you never heard of General Copper?
Speaker 5: No, I never didn't listen.
Speaker 3: I think it's no confident and he hates women even less will send him nice anti boxes filled with his favorite thirty cigarettes on the occasion of it hundred and first.
Speaker 5: This is all, of course, not for the act that way he has the max.
Speaker 11: Yes, huss Romney had the box.
Speaker 3: She has amazing.
Speaker 5: Would you like to be a good gid give me his address?
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, give me a bit of paper and penhow write it down?
Speaker 8: This?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 3: And look if you see him and him. I'm starving to this, which is true. That I speak of him constantly, which is also true. And I think you can see his way clear to sending me on a hundred.
Speaker 4: I'm going in the fiber.
Speaker 3: But he had him. Well, good luck with the general, mister Lyon, and don't forget the way of willet proof les.
Speaker 12: Go away.
Speaker 10: Well take my sticks here.
Speaker 4: A bit if you don't look like a bit, No, sir, I'm not that.
Speaker 10: I'm a collector, dust collector, garbage collector. What kind of collectible will sick up?
Speaker 5: Music boxes?
Speaker 10: Another one by dead. The thing's turning into a positive plague.
Speaker 5: You will come in, Come in, come in.
Speaker 10: Let's get to the bottom of it.
Speaker 5: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 7: This is a wile.
Speaker 10: Will come into my study. But what's the explanation of this wild wress of music box collectors?
Speaker 7: You want them? Music box blotted things?
Speaker 10: Make you jump, give me the gym. Jobs will come in, come in, young feller, must be something in music bomb, because I don't know about. I'm looking young woman like yourself. The dose you'll name again my sake.
Speaker 7: We know each other general, you do, Yes, we do.
Speaker 6: That's not surprising.
Speaker 5: I've told you you music box, but.
Speaker 10: Will probably have some kind of club or other whole meeting swap boxes.
Speaker 3: And already meet in general.
Speaker 4: He's gonna sure of that, don't miss.
Speaker 6: I understand perfect.
Speaker 4: Now, and I haven't got all the morning.
Speaker 10: Don't know we are not in Before this, young fellow introducted us who were making me an off?
Speaker 7: Yes you are music but general.
Speaker 5: So that is if you're willing to sell general what you're right?
Speaker 2: Two pounds for three pound, five pounds, ten pounds year.
Speaker 5: It is high our job.
Speaker 10: Well, that's the highest bit doing doing. God, No, no, no, don't write to take young fellow. I'll take it in cash.
Speaker 4: You've got nerve holding in on is?
Speaker 6: I guess you're up.
Speaker 3: There's something when I miss that list from my purse.
Speaker 6: You took it, didn't you?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: I took it?
Speaker 5: What are you worrying about? You see you to be doing all right without the list.
Speaker 3: Only because I haven't remember seeing the name co Battle on top of the list. And luckily they're only fair for.
Speaker 6: Them in the phone books.
Speaker 7: I kid you deserved better lot.
Speaker 6: No, I'm not so right.
Speaker 10: I've got up with you, haven't I?
Speaker 3: From now on, you got yourself or comes in to ten?
Speaker 8: Is better?
Speaker 3: Start getting used to it?
Speaker 5: That shouldn't be hot? Give me that?
Speaker 8: Am I give.
Speaker 3: It another suck?
Speaker 5: No use?
Speaker 4: Man, isn't this one?
Speaker 6: I am calm.
Speaker 4: Chef.
Speaker 5: I wondered if we could come into just a moment. I don't know.
Speaker 6: I am pressed for time.
Speaker 5: We don't suppose I can spare you a few minutes, minutes most kind if you can, I can.
Speaker 2: I can see that you're a man of taste, can't You've got some lovely This is a friendly ship.
Speaker 5: It's just possible, possible. I don't know what I was used to in the old days.
Speaker 7: The desires time?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 7: What is it?
Speaker 4: You want to police?
Speaker 12: What we new?
Speaker 5: Music boxes?
Speaker 7: Please? Just a minute?
Speaker 2: Wanted to tire.
Speaker 6: N't what is all this about music boxes?
Speaker 7: Well? I am not a collector of music boxes.
Speaker 5: I am a collector of.
Speaker 10: Men youtubes of the Empress Katerine or Russia?
Speaker 5: Or what about this music Doctor on the Table?
Speaker 2: I bought that one, certainly, but only because of the enable portrait.
Speaker 1: Madame, you look cut delay.
Speaker 7: She's an answertainlee.
Speaker 6: Yes you look consciously is a resemblance to me.
Speaker 2: Yes, and now you've got yet remarkable But you man, if I set this thing going.
Speaker 12: I no, no, please don't do that.
Speaker 6: Please don't cut all right there yet? I am not interested in this is a music?
Speaker 5: But oh you aren't well in that case, don't Maybe you'll be ready to sell.
Speaker 10: It it certainly not one, but I told you I wanted for dominion.
Speaker 6: You're on delay.
Speaker 9: I can't be mad to change your mind to a good time.
Speaker 1: Price doesn't ender into it, My dear lady, I don't buy things to sell.
Speaker 2: Again, Well, let's particular music that happens to be all the importance.
Speaker 4: No, I can't help that.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: I couldn't possibly sell it. No, you're talking, No, you're arguing.
Speaker 6: You know it's a very lucky.
Speaker 2: Thing for you, madame, my girl, if you've got me as a part name.
Speaker 3: I had, it wasn't like luck about the chance hip Episodely, I haven't got.
Speaker 2: The book we soon will have the box. How come because my dear old girl, it so happened it just for kicks, And I once took lessons from one of the best cat burgers in the business. The Count lived in what was once a big private house that had been turned into three or four flats. There's a garden in.
Speaker 5: A big wall. That night I got over the wall.
Speaker 2: Crept through the garden, climbed out to the second floor, and got through the window into the Count's drawing room.
Speaker 4: I worked quickly and quietly.
Speaker 2: I counted a small section out of the crystal cabinet and my diamond cutters that contained the Count's object. That I got through to the latch, unlocked it and seized the music box.
Speaker 5: And then at that moment.
Speaker 12: Cut the minute there?
Speaker 6: What's there? What's going on?
Speaker 5: The officer?
Speaker 4: We've we're just in a burgles.
Speaker 7: A burglar got in my flat over there.
Speaker 5: He's stolen my father's antique music rock.
Speaker 2: Did you see anyone come around the corner over there?
Speaker 5: Not?
Speaker 3: Sorry, the Count of companies, Why we're better try the other way quick.
Speaker 4: Yet a minute?
Speaker 3: Well, there were no emeralds on that one.
Speaker 5: There was a pleasure of breaking it up.
Speaker 8: I've afternoon.
Speaker 5: We'd like very much to see the princeships.
Speaker 10: And I did you two get past the or porter downstairs like this?
Speaker 3: Oh well, I'm afraid the Prince Peter wouldn't see you without an appointed only before she was married. Wasn't she maybe showed up from the build daughter of the change talking?
Speaker 5: Is the voice from her husband last year? Wasn't she's me? She's looking for any voys money. There's always plenty of this, and I look at me like that. I only want to speak to her.
Speaker 11: I really don't think it's pipe.
Speaker 2: We've been trying to locate a music box music, Yes, it's quite it's a music box we've been trying to locate.
Speaker 5: I don't know whether you anybody sent you a music box?
Speaker 10: Yes, so we certainly didn't have a music box.
Speaker 6: And mister Line, yes, I haven't been tending mind. Gave us my little dog Shirley.
Speaker 3: We haven't got it now we leave it away to some share other believe I've lived in Saint Andrew's family home office down ten year Charlie.
Speaker 6: Sure he that music bark?
Speaker 4: Why was that picipa?
Speaker 5: She couldn't stand that tune?
Speaker 10: What?
Speaker 5: Oh that awful tunes.
Speaker 3: Look this is the place, Harry, and understanding hormonal kind of ceremony.
Speaker 5: Going on.
Speaker 3: And silence anko.
Speaker 6: The eighties, and gentlemen and children like the two.
Speaker 12: While ago, some kindly soul sent to us anonymously, amongst other.
Speaker 5: Gifts, a music box.
Speaker 12: A few days later, little Billy Gubbins, whom you all know, whilst playing with the box, stumbled and dropped it. For this thing she didn't sevil in itself had the most surprising result. A secret compartment in the box was revealed, and in it were jewels. Naturally, we made inquiries in an ever to datify the donor, but fortunately for us, they all proved fruitless. And you please from the sale of these jewels that the building of this wonderful new wing is being financed.
Speaker 10: Here in my hands is the diddy fox that thought about our good.
Speaker 12: Fortune, and by my dad it can still be used, ay pleasing by little diddy guns.
Speaker 10: Listen, No, no, Harry, does there happen to be a most visitor day doctor I gentlemen back there seems to have fainted.
Speaker 7: Harry I returns in just a moment, and I'll Harry line.
Speaker 2: Good bye for now, and remember what Ben thanks and said about honesty being the best policy I wish I.
Speaker 5: Could in.
Speaker 11: Its int.
Speaker 1: In it, in
Speaker 11: Itself, itself, Sai