Speaker 1: Welcome to the two seventeen Recovering Broadcast.
Speaker 2: If you don't make mistakes, you won't learn.
Speaker 1: With your host Corey Winfield.
Speaker 3: Like, oh my gosh, I'm going into a place and they're going to be people like talking to balls, And there was some of that, but it was still pretty cool co host Arnie Winfield.
Speaker 4: If they don't get that sincere messaging, then they're not going to have that conversation on a level where maybe you can get through to them.
Speaker 1: With special guest Mitchell O'Brien, I really hate to do.
Speaker 2: Listen to you guys, but I really have to go to that and out of that, I just like can't hold it anymore.
Speaker 1: Corey Smoker.
Speaker 5: Sometimes they assume all black people are from African America.
Speaker 2: Got your ass?
Speaker 3: It is the fourteenth of April twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: My name's Corey.
Speaker 3: Winfield, my name is Marney Winfield, Mitchell O'Brien.
Speaker 5: And I'm Corey Smoker, and we have to begin.
Speaker 3: If they got to explain in the drop again America, what are you talking about? These people are.
Speaker 2: Like, what how are they going to be through? Dist But was the slip hop?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I did not mean it at all did.
Speaker 3: You and Marni were at diversity training, right?
Speaker 2: Is that what it was?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: And you guys were talking about what you had learned that day, and you would It's kind of got in the heat of the moment.
Speaker 5: I was kind of tired, and then I was just talking. I was excited to share what I had learned. Marnie had to go take care of the baby and left me out there with you and Jesse, And it was the first mistake we should have paused.
Speaker 7: It was it was it was.
Speaker 4: She was speaking about misconceptions about different cultures and reeces.
Speaker 2: And then she was misconceived. It's yeah, yeah, well Grace, obviously I mean it.
Speaker 3: I think it is.
Speaker 7: But yeah, and how long ago was that.
Speaker 5: The first conference we went to when I started here, like a week and.
Speaker 3: A half September. But I know, but it still makes the podcast, so we have to explain it. But no, we have some other explaining to at least Mitchell does. Because we had a crazy busy weekend with you know, family and in it and it's great to get out of the house and gold places, but it's also nice to just kind of chill in one spot how much And Corey, you know, you were. You're getting the house, you know, building it and trying to get it all put together, and so you're kind of busy in packing and Mitch, would you do this weekend?
Speaker 2: I chilled in one spot for about thirty minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I heard the story about I'm in here early and putting stuff together, and and I hear you talking about like a can pulled out of something. I'm thinking, like your car got stuck, and like, oh, Mitch, you know I had that truck too much faith in that all wheel drive, you know.
Speaker 2: And then Corey comes in. She's like, are you hearing this? And she says, oh.
Speaker 3: They pulled him out. So I'll let you explain the story before I start spoiling it.
Speaker 2: Well, I almost had the person I was with get the truck and drive it down on the beach. I was like, I got a toast strap, we can wrap that thing all right.
Speaker 3: So what happened was so it was a beautiful sunday northern MICHIGANO was like sixty yesterday, right.
Speaker 2: It was cloudy and windy though, and so we did some yard clean up and went to the scrapyard. We had a couple of fridges and like a water heater going.
Speaker 3: Your mom or your son? Like, who who's you?
Speaker 2: Said? We She starts out as a friend at the beginning of the story, she ends this is my girlfriend by the end of the story. So I spent kind of hard trying to find a like a nineteen's old to find that it's also closer to my age obviously.
Speaker 3: Okay, So all right, so you're with a female and she's helping you clean out, You help her clean out?
Speaker 2: Like, what's going on here? Helping her? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, so you're you're helping her out, you're just say, yo, just a friend.
Speaker 2: Well, we've we've had some talks about being more than just friends, but we hadn't taken that leap, and so I just went over there. I got a truck. I had nothing to do that day, so I was like, let's do this, and so we took a couple of trips over to the scrapyard. That was fun. Hadn't been to that one before. It was neat you know, fun.
Speaker 3: Before we go any further story, I want to check in with our resident therapist to see I just have a question, Marnie. Yes, is there some kind of like I don't want to call it a disability. Mitch, is there some kind of diagnosis for men who like to take stuff to the scrapyard for women?
Speaker 4: I can't think of it. I'm trying to see if he's like the scrapyard in particular. No, I don't not at.
Speaker 2: The top of myosis.
Speaker 7: You mean like an addiction to like junk, like helping stuff.
Speaker 3: Away, because I think that there's something from that, because Mitch and we both know there's a route, there's like some rooted stuff behind this.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: I mean I think you just if you walk into someone's house, I think you just want to throw trash away, like that is clutter, that's trash. We're not hoarding, and you just throw it away. I think a house, you know, maybe he was raised obviously that.
Speaker 4: Would be like that would be anything would be close. So that would be like o c D to where it's like cleanliness.
Speaker 3: I don't think he has OCD, so I think you're in the father them. It's great. So you've passed my test of just helping somebody out. So you're helping them out, you don't have a disorder or anything out And you said yes, yes, crazy bastard, Well it was great. Masters Ron see if you're into sports, you'd be like, oh man, I gotta see if they let me keep the money for it. Okay, all right, so yeah, all right. So anyway, so scrapyard is where you're going. You're taking stuff there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The cool part was that, like this guy's truck died and then he's like, hey, you give me a jump. I was like, I ain't got no cables. He's like I do. I was a cool, We'll do that, and we're like in the scrapyard. So he did that, and then at the end he gave me his jumper cables. He's like, I find these things all over the place, so just take him. I was like, oh sweet. So I just said to give him a drump his truck, and now I got some new drumper cables. It's pretty sweet. But anyway, Christmas after that we had to attend. Both of the people involved, myself and her have children teenage children. So we have a child, yeah, I have a child, she has multiple so yeah, we made sure that they are situated and doing what they needed to do, and then we're like, what are we going to do. Let's let's go on an adventure whatever, and so I was like Okay, leon Ol County's head to the beach. Why not? We got I got those like scoops that are made out of like ski poles, so you don't have to like be on your hands and knees looking for rocks and a nonybody knows I'm a rock hunter. One of my favorite things being out on Lake Michigan beaches. So last weekend, me and this individual hit up a couple of other beaches and this is my all time favorite ones who we were going to this one. Before we could even get there, I was like, Hey, I have a whole bunch of family from Lake Leanland. I want to show you where my family's from. So there's actually a street right around the corner from Lake lelanda the village, not the lake that's got my last name. It's O'Brien Road, which is kind of neat. That's where my grandpa lived until he passed a bunch of years ago. But so we stopped there, and this should have been like the foreshadowing because we get there and there had just been a t boning accident right right in front of the street. So there's a cop in a wrecker and an old man who's hobbling from one car to another and like, so it was intense, but there was like just enough room in between for me to get into the road. And I was like, we're gonna do it anyway. She's like, I can't believe you're doing this. I'm like, I'm doing this is my street. They can't keep me on my street. It's got my name right there, you know. So we go up there and I show her kind of like O'Brien history. Okay, you know, that was neat, And then we came out. I got some for you. Yeahks sad. So you're like, this that's where our grandfather passed. It kind of was because right around the corner is the cemetery he's buried in. Oh. I was like, there's a whole bunch of O'Brien's back in the right corner of the cemetery. It's great.
Speaker 3: So you're trying to like prove your worth to her.
Speaker 8: Okay, So the O'Brien's here, We were here since eighteen sixty three. Twelve of us got killed in the Civil War. That's why they named this road after my grandfather. What he did for the North, it was truly inspiring.
Speaker 3: They named this whole peninsula after my grandma Leland. Naw, oh, Mitchell O'Brien, I mean, we'll stop.
Speaker 2: The funny thing is my brother three weeks ago now there first, my brother three weeks ago had our first, their first child, a son. They named him Leland, which.
Speaker 6: Is first child, and we named you after my grandmother Leland.
Speaker 2: Please, girl, let's go somewhere to make out.
Speaker 3: So after all this O'Brien history, it was like the trail of tears almost right.
Speaker 2: So you're taking them through.
Speaker 3: Like O'Brien lore. You tell them about the brother man. This is just insane. It's it's going great, and then you decided to you what minche Well.
Speaker 2: We were gonna go to the beach next, but I really wanted a picture of O'Brien road street sign obviously I had never gotten one before. So we get there and this accident is still being cleaned up. It's like the right, I mean, it's not a long street. It took us seven minutes to drive to the end and back. So it's like whatever.
Speaker 3: Emergency services have nothing else to do yesterday or what they're not yet milking it, milking the cocky.
Speaker 2: There's one call on Sunday well they got two. But h yeah. So I'm like parking in the middle of this like wreckage and I'm sitting there like taking pictures. Not an accident, but the street signed and the police officers off to the left looking at me like what is this guy doing? And I'm like, I'm going over and this is my this is my zone, so get out.
Speaker 3: My FI shouldn't be recording me. He said, you didn't want to beat up here.
Speaker 2: Oh, And it was funny because I knew one of the guys that was there in one of the cars, so it was interesting. That's, you know, literally where all my family comes from. But yeah, so we left there and went to my favorite beach, which is Van's Beach in Leland, Michigan, right on Lake Michigan, just adjacent to the Manitou Islands.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 2: Fishtown's over there. It's a fun place in the summertime. But I got me some muck boots this winter so I could go rock hunting when it's cold, and you know, you don't want to have bare feet and all that. So I just got a little overconfident. But we got out there and they decided to dredge the harbor in Leland. It gets really shallow in the wintertime, to the point that some of the boats can't get in and out. When they do that, I guess they have this giant pump that they put in the harbor and this huge hose that goes like one hundred and fifty two hundred yards away down the beach that we wanted like a big vacuum, Like how do they get confused something like that. I'm not sure how it works on the harbor side, but I was staring for about thirty five minutes right at the receiving end of this thing. It was just a really big tube. Yeah, it was right in front of me. M so you then get you rocked. So it was really it was crazy, like this wash out area where this tube is spraying water and sand from the harbor, Like it's covering an area of like the size of a roughly like a basketball court. So it's like a big deal. It's washed a lot of beach out and I should have known that that was going to make the sand what they were calling unstable later in the story. But I just want to go find some cool rocks.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: They got cool blue rocks there, and so that's what we were doing and you guys like holding hands and stuff. Not yeah yeah, saw you do it?
Speaker 3: You just like throw out your hand. It's like touch the fingers kind of just you know, just barely, just like hey, hey, oh is your hand them?
Speaker 2: Did you just grab it? Like come over here? A woman I think she said. I think she just grabbed it and said come over here, man.
Speaker 3: And you're like, oh, okay, yeah, well we'll not letting go that.
Speaker 2: That's what we're doing. And I was like, thank you for that. I've been wanting to do that for a while. Let me show you something. Ounce m yet rock, let me go grab it, hold on, let me Well, we got through the safe part of the beach to this dangerous part, which I didn't So there's signs that say it's dangerous, there's not, but there actually might be today but there wasn't at the time. Found a couple of cool rocks. It was sweet. But we only had a little section of beach that wasn't affected. And we got over there and I was like, I really want to get to the other side of this washed out area because I think there's a good stuff over there. So we're kind of just like picking her way through it, and I'm not paying attention, like a looking water direction, and she literally goes, that looks really dangerous over there, And I thought she meant this whole washed out area, but she was pointing at an exact spot in the like where the water the waves hit the beach, like right there, And so she then turns around to pick a rock up. She's not paying attention to what I'm doing thing, and apparently I turned around and blined it for that spot. The beach just went I could have had, I could have went anywhere, but I went right there to where she was like, that looks dangerous and uh yeah, I got to where the water was about an inch or too thick and thick deep deep, Yeah, it's definitely deep. Think of something out to that later. And the ground just kind of opened up and swallowed me up and I went down like all just this. We've been calling it either like a quicksand sinkhole, like a quicksand hole, and I just want to report I haven't said this. I've waited to the pot for the podcast. Is the first thing out of my pockets on my descent into the hole was my phone, nice, followed by my keys and I did not have enough time to save the bait the baite that was on. But I'm like sitting there with my arm straight up in the air holding my phone and my keys, and uh yeah, I had had enough time to like I was trying to turn around. So now my like butt end is pointed straight out to the what feels like a frigid ocean to me because the water's not warm right now. Yeah, so you're up to your waist, was it?
Speaker 3: Uh, yeah, it's about And because Corey showed me, there's no I'm like, there's pictures of it, there's no just about.
Speaker 2: I was up to my waist.
Speaker 3: Like imagine like if if you've ever been to the beach, if you've been in Lake Michigan or maybe an ocean, you know, like where the water comes up, you know, it's that that's sandy.
Speaker 2: It's kind of hard.
Speaker 3: You know, you can make like little castles out of it, you know, and you're just walking along and then whoop, I'm to my waist.
Speaker 2: Like everybody knows what sand feels like to walk on it. It's a little firmer than drive sand and that stuff like that. So I was dealing with that until it wasn't. And it was basically like stepping into liquid almost and then it just went right up and I was I had enough. I tried to turn around and like step out, so I was able to not get my right foot as stuck as my left foot, but my left foot was straight down like I was standing, even though like if you look at the pictures, you's literally waste. I was up to my waist in this quicksand and water. And at first, right when it happened, the water was kind of choppy, so it was like splashing waves up on my back. So it's like like like water splashing, and that was real fun. But it kind of calmed down after like fifteen or twenty minutes. You kinda check in with the therapist again. All right, So what about those guys that there has to be a name for it? Maybe it's in the DSM five guys who want to be saved? Like is there out there? I know I maybe was one two? Who knows?
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm sure there may be a diagnosis that falls underneath, like the criter.
Speaker 2: And he's taking, isn't he taking?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 3: Like are you talking about like you hook up with this girl and watch this like she likes saving people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're talking about fixers, know that saving That was that was a comment that was made as a joke while this was happening.
Speaker 3: It was Captain save a ho save a dude or I don't know, captain save a do there you go, sergeants save a So you're dating well so so she so like you're in this and you're like, oh my god, and you probably realized quickly like this is going to be a huge problem. Obviously you don't watch Survivor. Martie and I watched Survivor. We would have made it out of this no problem, because you clearly you belly roll on quicksand we've we've seen it right, right, so.
Speaker 2: There's a problem with that. So this is actually my third run in with Quicksand in northern Michigan, which is blowing people's minds. That's why I needed to get pictures of it, because I was afraid people weren't going to believe me. This is the first time I've ever needed to because last time was on a beach just south of where we were, and it was like last fallish, like late August, early September, and I was able to like spin around, get down on my butt and scoop and so that's kind of what I was trying to do, and it didn't work out. As soon as my left leg went all the way down to where it was, I was waist deep that deeper sand like hardened and there was no moving like I couldn't wiggle anything like that sand just got around it and there was like completely immobilized even a little bit. So I spent fifteen minutes trying to dig myself out with my hands until I did it basically with my hands until I couldn't feel them anymore.
Speaker 3: And then my like stick thing because the water is so cold and it is very cold. And then so did you think this is how I'm going to die? Or did you think that your lady friend, being the sergeant savor of douches, was gonna get you out of this?
Speaker 2: I'm I'm glad you asked me that question when you did, because she immediately goes into a full blown sergeant panic attack. Oh like deabilitating panic attack, not like you're gonna die, calm collected, like this is terrible, you know, And no, she did it because she cares, you know, she cares, and she was worried about me, but so it quickly turned into me trying to dig myself out and calm her down, coach her through breathing, like calming down. And at one point later on, she's like, how are you the calm one? You're the one that's in the life threatening situation and I'm the one that's freaking out. And I'm like, well, you know, I was going to freak out till I saw you freaking out. Serge, You're definitely not taking you in a battle. Geez, that's horrible. Hopefully you didn't judge her too bad because of that. No, No, I was actually really thankful that she didn't like leave.
Speaker 3: And you're like, you know, we should be dating now. But so you get to get the fire department out there to like, yep, throw a lasso to you and then they would tie it to their jeep.
Speaker 2: You're you're getting ahead of yourself out, getting ahead of yourself. So I'm I'm digging myself for like fifteen twentiethmisch. I think it was more like fifteens. That working out for you, Nah, it's not. So. My foot moved maybe an inch in fifteen minutes, and that's when I went, I can't get out of this under my own strength. So let's figure out how we do help. And she's like, I'm gonna run up to one of these houses. I was like, first off, there's probably nobody home, and if they are, they don't care.
Speaker 3: She didn't go grab a stick or something from a tree and be like hey, I like roll.
Speaker 2: It out to you. She was trying to get close and I'm like, no, no, no, no, no, no no no. We don't both die in the sand hole like Michigan. You stay over there. I'm like, you're doing the job I need you to do. Keep my phone safe because if I survived this but my phone doesn't, Corey Winfield's going to kill me. So I said that actually, but it got to a point where I realized that I wasn't getting anywhere, so I just told her calmly. I was like, it's it's time to get help. And she's like, I'm run up to the houses. I was like, no, we're going to call nine one one, like that's the that's the move here, you know. And in my head I didn't want to bother them because it's like he's going to be I had convinced myself that they were going to be annoyed that another rock hunter had been messing around in the springtime and phoning in a quick sand hole and like they have to deal with this and they have to come out because this happens all the time.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of sillness and like Baar Dunes over in Glenarbor or whatever, Like they have signs because there's this big hill and people think, oh, go run down there, and then they don't realize like, oh my god, that is going to take me forever to get back up, so they'll call for help. Well there's like a penalty, like they'll find you if you have to call them for help.
Speaker 2: Like that that ran through my mind. But there's no signs, right, he's thinking damn. So I'm like, well, they're just gonna be a little annoyed. They have to do this again, right, probably the first of the season, you know whatever. And so we call and the first thing that happens is she's trying to call and she's like, I can't get my phone to work. And I kind of think she was panicking too much to hit but I don't know, I really don't know something either, Like she couldn't get it to work. So I was like, okay, hand me my phone. So she reaches over, handing my phone. So I'm calling nine to one one now from my quick sand hole. She has a picture of being on the phone. My mom saw it and she's like, look looks like you're taking a business call, some big deal. I was like, yeah, that's fine. So I put it on speaker because it's like the water is loud. I'm right where the loud water on a beach is. This is where I'm located. And I have it on speaker and I'm like hello, hello, and the guy's like, oh, I think it's one of them telemarketers. Again, it hangs up on me, and I was like, you know, don't do that. So I call back, and I didn't. I don't realize that she's finally getting through to them because she's staying in like twenty to thirty feet away because I'm trying to get her away from the danger water, you know. And so I finally get back through to the guy that thought I was a telemarketer. I'm like, can you hear me? He's like well yeah. Now, I was like okay, I'm stuck and quicksand obviously he's like, what address are you at. I'm like, yeah, the Lake Michigan one, the one over by. But I explained it to him, you know, And I tried to tell him because there's two entrances to the speech, one way up by Leland and one over by where we are, and I'm like, we're by the South one South one. Emt guy, you should know your directions, so it'll you'll get to me faster if you go to the south one. Right. So about ten minutes later, Oh, I'm skipping all these great things, all these great parts of the story. So as I'm on the phone with the nine to one one operator, he's like, why are you calling? And so I just say the words my girlfriend was trying to call and she couldn't get through. This is the first time I've used that, even though her and I had spoken about exploring a deeper relationship. And uh. So he goes, I think your girlfriend's on the other line right now. Oh did your heart melt? I was like, you heard those words someone else referred to her as your girlfriend. We like We found out later that the calls happened almost simultaneously, and so I was calling her my girlfriend trying to call there while she was saying, my boyfriend's dying in the sand and in leland. So we said that at the same time, calling a nine to one one number, which I'd like to consult a resident therapist about them. If you start a relationship through simultaneous nine one one under trauma, is that considered trauma bonding?
Speaker 7: It could be, It could be. Depends on what you do with what you do with that.
Speaker 2: That's been the joke I've been saying every since that happened, is like, yeah, we're trauma bonded. But yeah, no. So ten minutes later, this guy from the further entrance starts to baywatch jog down the beach and I just noticed he has this orange thing and a rope that he bought a tractor supply company. That's not or he picked it up from the local stable like farm, because it was literally one of them like stiff ropes that they used for lassos in a rodeo, That's what it was. And it was tied like a lasso and everything, And I'm like, so what are we doing here? But she's still kind of freaking out. She's come down a little bit, and so I'm trying to make her laugh. So this guy coming up has like this perfect cop mustache, and so I'm like, oh, he's got a mustache. We're good. We're saved. Like just the fact he's got a mustache. Just hope, like, you know, start talking. If anybody can save us, it's him. He's got the stash for it, you know. And then finally, when he got close enough for the other three firemen from the direction, I told him to come, We're on their way. And so the first thing he does is he hands me this life jacket, this orange life jacket that doesn't fit, and I'm like, okay, like that's cool, and I kind of suspect that that's if my body would have drifted off to see they'd be able to find me easier.
Speaker 3: Well, when they threw it to you, would you do I have to get all up in it.
Speaker 2: I looked at it, like, what the hell is this? I'm standing here, but no, by that time, now there's her and four firemen, one holding a lasso, me putting on the stupid life jacket that doesn't fit, and they're all standing like really close to me. But I'm waist deep in sand where their feet are. So I'm looking up at them, and I feel like a toddler asking for uppies, Like I'm just I'm like uppy. And so I'm like, so, what's the play here, guys. It's like we're gonna put this over here. I was like, okay, whatever, and they tighten it down and this rope is like between my armpits. He's like, or I'll pull you out, like okay, oh no, sorry, sorry. So first he goes, what we're gonna have you do is lay down and roll out, and I was like, that's a great idea. The problem is this leg is straight down anchoring me to whatever has now consumed my foot, Like yeah, that stuck. So I was stuck. And he's like, oh, so they start trying to like pull me, like all four of these guys, and it's not working. Like all they're doing is cracking my back and my hips and my knees and like, because it did, like every joint from my like shoulders down to my foot on that side all popped. Back in the day when they were a little bit in my armprets.
Speaker 3: Actually we have like they would tie up person's arm to a horse or another arm to a different horse.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was actually at one point I was like, is my foot gonna stay like.
Speaker 3: I had messed up? Man, rip your like half of your body off or something. Well, the one guy mustache comes over to me before they start pulling. They're like, he goes, we might not be able to save your boot, and I'm like, could you save me?
Speaker 2: Though? Like that in the plan because I could care less about what's on my feet as long as I could keep trying and keep those you know, That's kind of where I'm at. So they start pulling and I'm trying to push myself, but like the sand.
Speaker 3: Where you think, and my pants are coming off. You were like, hey, they're gonna pull me right out of my clothes.
Speaker 2: No, these are my Adidas. They got real strong like drawstring. So I was I was good.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 2: I was happy with that.
Speaker 3: But you're gonna but this was a perfect chance, the opportunity to show her.
Speaker 1: Working with.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: Who knows, it wasn't running through my mind at all. So you're saved. You guys really like, hey, let's go get someoth'.
Speaker 2: We can't go that far yet because they start pulling and I'm not moving like I am pushing. I have one leg for you. I was able to free my right leg, but my left leg was just not there was nothing happening, So like, we need you to push off of this. I was like, do you realize the the quality of the sand that you're trying to tell me to push off of. It's like it's still not good right here. So I'm doing my best, but I'm like working with like not hard ground. And there's no video of it, no video, but there are some pictures.
Speaker 3: We have to go back because you could have been because there's this thing it's about criminals but still like The Dumbest Criminals or some show I think it's on Hulu or I don't know, one of those. But man, you could have like craziest rescues like it.
Speaker 2: Was that day. I think man on the beach. But no, So this squirrely little guy, he's one of the EMT's, he's there, he's one of the ones trying to help pull me. And so while they're pulling me, realizing I'm not going anywhere and I am trying to help get myself out, he jumps behind me into the danger zone, into the water, and I'm like, dude, don't do that. We'll both be in here.
Speaker 3: He's sinking it because he's skinny that it's not going to affect him.
Speaker 2: And he almost he got too close at one point and started sinking and then jumped out. But then at the same point he was just like off to the side a little bit and he started taking like his hands and scooping down and then getting like a lot of sand, and that's when my foot really started to move. But even then it was like suction in there, so it was hard. But once they got me out a little bit, he realized, all right, it's pushing time, kind of like you.
Speaker 3: Know when you're having a baby. Yeah, so you're pushing from your vagina.
Speaker 2: Well, they were pulling me. I'm the baby in this situation. So they're pulling me and he's pushing, and I think the lake in the sand is the mother. Is how it's working. Okay, So he had your booty in his hand, so there was multiple.
Speaker 3: Different grab moves that he used to try to help me out with the fireman carry.
Speaker 2: He he was definitely a wrestler in high school. I could tell that because at one point my legs were just slightly slightly spread. So he takes his arm in this scooping motion that goes right between my legs up front to my torso area and does this trying to push me that way, which is I think that's called like the right upper under hooked wrestling slip. I don't know, let's not talk about yeah, but anyway, and then another point he abandoned that and just had one hand on each cheek. Nice pushing, and so pregame. So I got to second base with this guy. Mustache. Yeah, no, this was a mustache. Mustache was first down the rope. Squirrely, dude, you get.
Speaker 3: It's microphones, that's how it works. Of course she's going to hold her own microphone. She's doing the real work right now. Yeah, but we got me out not even talking. She's like, I'm holding this for another thirty five minutes, and you've laughed a couple of times.
Speaker 2: That your name once.
Speaker 5: He's sharing a story.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to know, but it's you. But you have to to ask questions otherwise.
Speaker 5: I I mean, I'm just blown away. If I wouldn't have seen pictures, I would never believe this was happening.
Speaker 2: That's that's what I said. And I was telling the panic attack girl, you need to take pictures of this take a video, and she's like, I'm not taking a bit of while you're dying. It's not gonna I'm like, no, no, no, people aren't. We're gonna be okay, we're gonna laugh about this, Like nobody's gonna believe us. So you need to, we need you know. So she did get a couple of pictures. That's when I had my phone. I was trying to get between nine one one calls. I put my phone up in the air and take a selfie and myself looking down into the sand. But yeah, so, I mean, I hope it works out for you with.
Speaker 4: You and the girl, but I have au So are we not liberty to say? Are you not at the stage where you share names?
Speaker 8: Is that what it is?
Speaker 7: Because Cory did that for me for a while.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I was gonna share names with you guys, but not on the podcast.
Speaker 7: No, it's okay, I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 7: It's not weird because Corey did that when we started dating.
Speaker 3: I didn't have my mom, man, I had like boundaries down. If I would have said you name, oh, she would have Facebook stocked you sent you a message about how I'm a whole person and how I'm.
Speaker 7: I'm not judging.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe I mean because I just had my year, but I don't know it was I didn't, but I laid those boundary ghnres and I was like, Nope, I gotta do this.
Speaker 2: I didn't ask her if I could use her name in the recording. So that's why I'm well.
Speaker 7: Two said, girl, I don't feel bad about yourself. It's not about you.
Speaker 3: Look to Shika, it makes sense. We ain't say nothing bad about you, but we're just saying, like, if you want us to say your name in the future, you got to just let us know and it'll come out in the future.
Speaker 2: But she she did.
Speaker 5: Sometimes they assume all black people are from African America.
Speaker 3: No, well, I had nothing to do with nothing, Corey. It's the only way you can get her to talk right now.
Speaker 2: I know. Obviously she did exactly what I needed her to do, which was to keep the electronics that I were previously in my pocket safe.
Speaker 3: So she barely You got to call your ownself, man. Well, we both got through too much credit here. We both got through she got I don't think that is good enough for you. I don't think she and save your life. I think she freaks out.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right. I'm like, because that's the thing that I had to deal with inside my own psyche. While I'm stuck in the quick sand hole, I can't come on her. Is that what you're thinking. No, I'm like, I'm the man here. I'm supposed to be able to protect and save and rescue. That's that's so nineteen three man wrong. And I'm like, and I'm stuck in a hole of sand and I can't move, like id I don't And then like the the life fest in the rope and standing around a bunch of grown men looking at me discussing on how they're going to get me out of there, and then being groped by another grown man, all because shooting I'll get you out of the hole, you know.
Speaker 3: And we don't live in Spencer Dutton days.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like, what would Spencer Dutton do?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: From Yellowstone your favorite show? You know you or not?
Speaker 3: It's not even Yellowstone twenty three, thank you, it's the serie, but yeah, because he would have just like kicked that sand's ass, and he would have like probably shot everybody that went to help them and use their bodies to lift themselves out of there.
Speaker 2: There's more to the story. So we're crawling off the like I'm exhausted, as this is what I want pictures of. Yeah, that's why we got to go back and redo it well. And I was like, I really should have had her gave me a picture of me in the ambulance because there's an ambulance waiting up there because they want to take vitals, they want to make sure I don't have hyperthermia and all of that. I'm now dragging ass because I fought for my life for fifteen minutes before we even called nine to one one, and then I had to help push my large posterior out of the sand, and so like my I'm like dragging my feet like I'm trying as hard as they can't get up there. And I finally get up there and they take my vitals and I was good. I wasn't in hypothermia, Like my body temperature was low, but still good.
Speaker 5: You're like chug along in your muck boots straight from the lake up to the ambulance.
Speaker 2: There was so much water in there too, but like there were I felt like I was I had the aquariums on my feet, like that's what it felt like, and uh so yeah. Anyway, so we're in there and they asked if I want to go to the hospital. I'm like, no, I'm just cold and wet, like it's fine, And so you gave me some of their blankets and the one guy comes over and I find out later because either the police chief or one of the lead guys, because they're talking. They were like, we wanted him to put warning signs down here. We knew something was going to happen. We've been waiting for something to happen. And then the big.
Speaker 7: Geese, thank you for sacrificing. Yeah, I've been calling it our community.
Speaker 2: I've been calling it community activism.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was searchy panic attack, called out that spot looks dangerous.
Speaker 2: No, that man, he just turned around. He tried to warn me, and my oblivious as just didn't didn't didn't know that's what she was talking about and.
Speaker 3: All that bullshit you were talking about the O'Brien's and the history and all the all the awfulness that they did.
Speaker 2: She's like, that's bullshit, Like I don't believe this at all. Side, Let's go back.
Speaker 5: To them sneaking through the freaking car wreck to get back there.
Speaker 3: I'm just like, this is the only makeout spot on Sundays I know about we going No.
Speaker 2: So the guy he comes over and they're trying to, you know, let her drive, you know, so you can just like be warm and whatever. I'm like, that's fine. She's already got the truck running then everything she had it warming up for me. And so he goes like, seriously, strip down to your skivvies and just wrap yourself in this towel. We'll wrap yourself in this towel, in these blankets, right, and let her drive you home and go straight there. Get a change of clothes because I had like a dry sweatshirt, but I didn't have anything for the lower part. And I said, I just rode home. Asked Nick, and it was diamond. I said, sir, there's a problem with stripping down to my skivvies. Today there are skivvy's. I had to go to this ATM earlier. You want to go listen to bumper Buddies. Yeah, bumper Buddies. That was last week or the week before. I was like a month ago. So you weren't wearing any underwear? Yeah, yeah, and he goes and he goes, oh, yeah, he goes, it doesn't matter, just wrap yourself in a towel. And I looked and I said, so you don't know her, even like this could be a bad idea. The doors open at this time and she's looking at me like, you don't tell Oh, it was great, but yeah. So then we got in the car and that's when I was like, I got to take my boots off. And everybody's like, no, don't just get in and go and go. I'm like, you guys don't understand what's happening inside these boots. They pulled my boots off, they grab them and it's just like fish falling out and stuff an anchor and there's just like so much Yeah, exactly, let me rock.
Speaker 7: Did you fight in there?
Speaker 8: There were?
Speaker 2: And that was the cool part is like it took me until yesterday to go look for me because I was put my rocks in my sweatshirt that I had on in there, and there was there was two handfuls of sand in both my pockets from just being that close in the surf. What I found my rocks, it would.
Speaker 3: Be what happened if like Grandma and Grandpa would have walked down there to have a little afternoon delight on the beach, you know, and they just happened to lay down in that spot, I know, right.
Speaker 2: But no, the the police chief guy, or not police, the fire chief guy. He goes there will be signs down here by tomorrow morning, because I guess it was an argument that was had with city council or whatever, and they're like, no, did you want to send them a picture? You could post your picture on the sign. Yeah, some them don't get mitchelled out here.
Speaker 4: They probably didn't want to put stuff that was going to discourage people from like making it look like their beaches were unsafe, even though it was just circumstantial.
Speaker 2: Well, and this this is a beach that a lot of people go to specific for rock hunting because there's certain rocks there that don't exist other places. So I think what was happening is like they didn't want to discourage people, like you said, to go there because it though just the fact that these Leland bluestones exist there brings people to Leland and then their economy and all.
Speaker 5: Of that, right, Okay, But all of a sudden then we have a one sink to death.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and well in the emergency services of the area had been wanting to warn people and was getting pushed backs from the city. This is what you think.
Speaker 3: They purposely dug a hole there, maybe and then like framed it in with concrete because we were watching what was that show showtime with the girls who kill everybody and eat them all? Yellow jacket Yeah, yellow Jackets. It was a very similar thing happened. They didn't fill in the sides of the concrete, but I'm sure this EMT team did or whatever, just so they could they could make their point. But yeah, they just dig a hole and then they put like, yeah spikes, and the chick fell through and she died. But they at least din't put spike in there. But you did fall in their concrete hole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. Well either way, we drove away. We're happy. I kept my wet pants on until I got home.
Speaker 3: It'd have been better if you just would have been like, well, that's what we're doing, doctors orders.
Speaker 2: And then we had to talk about it when so cold. We had to talk on the way and I said, you're my girlfriend now, and she's like, you're my boyfriend now. And so that's where where that's where it is.
Speaker 7: Very endearing story.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 7: Congratulations you didn't have to do all that though, Mitchell, just amazing. Established your probably your way.
Speaker 2: We were going on an adventure, that's what we kept saying, and so it was. And I was like, well, buckle up, because this is how it works.
Speaker 4: So next time you say you want to go on an adventure, she's gonna be let's clarify what them.
Speaker 3: Let's say you take it out from pizza interlocking.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what we got for dinner. You didn't walk though, did you? No? Listen, No, I wasn't walking very well that every time, Like stairs were really hard, Like when I got the we got I got to that the ambulance and they're like just hop up in there. We're gonna take your vitals.
Speaker 1: And I was like.
Speaker 2: My feet felt like that cement blocks on. I'm like I was, they were exhausted. And so anytime like even just a couple of stairs up into her house, a couple of stairs in my house getting up into my truck, it was like bad. And then we got to the pizza place on our way back to her place, and I just like she's like, are you okay? Do you want me to go and side, I'm like, nah, I'm good. To open the door and I jump out of my truck and I just stopped for a second and I'm like, O gay there. And I tried to walk it off and play it off like I was fine. I'm like, no, it's good, it's good, We're good. Yep. What do you think missed the smoker?
Speaker 5: We asked, Mitchell, what are you doing after work?
Speaker 2: Mitch? What are you doing after work? This same.
Speaker 3: Beautiful woman is taking me to the gym? Okay, I just drive you by it, like that's where you need to go. Nope, not at all working out.
Speaker 2: Huh. You know we're going to work all so, but this was on Saturday.
Speaker 5: But he's been doing that actually for like the last month, two month, three months with her.
Speaker 2: Well no, her and I have only went like two or three times within the last month, so we're gonna be going more regularly now. But this incident happened on Saturday evening. It's now Monday afternoon, so I haven't been able to walk off a lot of the soreness.
Speaker 3: So we can create a warning sign with your picture on it and take it out there. I think what we should do as a public service. We should we should nail.
Speaker 7: It instead of like Smoky the Bear says, you know, it'll.
Speaker 2: Be like I think we should mail I think you should that to one of the residents. One of the residents. Oh in your mission, Oh, you.
Speaker 5: Have to mail your flyer of you sav Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We can send a picture of it though, to the newspaper and say we want to thank the fire department. Maybe they'll put it front page. There's Mitchell. That'd be awesome.
Speaker 2: I know. I asked. I was like I asked you earlier. I was like, can I sue the city without getting emergency involved? Because they were really cool? But Trump cut the funding.
Speaker 7: People were sinking on beaches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, damn it Trump. Well, it's Biden's fault. He's the one that let the Mexicans into whatever, and blah blah. The worst part about it is I didn't get to second base with the person I wanted to until it was technically the next day. Okay, are we talking about this then? No? No, I was gonna go there, get you a good kiss her.
Speaker 5: Wait, well, I want to go back. I'm going to talk about something really fast on the beach of that I got so im and next door to our neighbors, and actually I have to go back and see him before I leave work. But he was just on a vacation and he was showing me that he had brought a treasure back on vacation and it was a baggy full of sand from the Gulf of America. Z.
Speaker 2: I wonder how much sand from the Gulf of Mexico goes for.
Speaker 3: They started selling sand with sand now. But I wanted to talk about some other stuff. But I guess we'll wrap it up.
Speaker 5: Oh really fast. I want to talk about something. Okay, don't forget that.
Speaker 7: What the hell that's cute? I liked it.
Speaker 2: What what is happening?
Speaker 5: The driver's restoration clinic coming up on the twenty fifth of April at Michigan Works.
Speaker 2: Come on the two seventeen recovery table if you need not reservices, Yeah, on twenty fifth details seventeen recovery dot com.
Speaker 3: Ye, if you're looking for your license. Like that's what I was saying. Like, there's other stuff I wanted to talk about, But we should just do another podcast on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do two in one week.
Speaker 3: Holy cow, Oh my gosh. Yeah, because it's a picture day, So yeah, day, Yeah, we'll do that because I want to talk about a conversation I had with a guy.
Speaker 2: Last week.
Speaker 5: And I think Jesse Smoker will be here too.
Speaker 3: Right, we were talking about it, yeah, well not yeah, Wednesday, he will be yeah, And we were kind of talking about the other day and I was like, why aren't we doing a podcast about this, because like we're all having a good insight and good stuff, and it was just like, we need to do that. So we'll do that on Wednesday, and we'll talk more about the road of restoration driver's license, but there's more details, like I said at two seventeen recovery dot com.
Speaker 2: But m.
Speaker 3: All right, well, Mitchell, I'm glad that you're alive. I'm glad that you made it. I'm glad that you have a girlfriend right now. Can I finish with a survival tip?
Speaker 2: Yes, don't manscape of the day that you're gonna get stuck in thirty five degree water for thirty five minutes. Why not because it will be warmer if you don't. There you go. That's my that's my tip, my survival tip for the people.
Speaker 3: And I say trim it up because you don't want to be You don't want to be out there, and then they tell you get down your skibbies and you got it.
Speaker 7: So say, well, wait a second here where you got no skivvyes on?
Speaker 3: I think if you wore some undies, maybe that keep your ball is a little warmer I typically do. This was a different day. So you're like, maybe should go and touch my peep beets and my jeans and it'll feel better.
Speaker 2: If I don't have no draws on.
Speaker 7: It's because he man escaped.
Speaker 2: He's like, this is how my family does it.
Speaker 5: And Mitchell, of you, of all people should My grandma told.
Speaker 8: Me if you ever wear jeans, you get around the girl and thinks you're gonna touch your little peevie.
Speaker 6: What you do is you don't wear draws. This is draws lean right here. It's where the ol'brien's come up with the draws man. It's where we throw off the draws over here, Leland, all counting. The O'Brien underwear factory is what the ladies call it.
Speaker 7: Your wife is leading.
Speaker 2: Everybody knows.
Speaker 3: It feels better, all right, all right, thank you Marty for being a part of that.
Speaker 2: I know you said a couple of words but it.
Speaker 7: Was Mitchell's story, you know, no, I know, and it was a great story.
Speaker 2: We needed a therapist on site.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we'll talk more on Wednesday, promise.
Speaker 1: By Thanks for listening to the two seventeen Recovery podcast. Listen to over nine hundred episodes on the two seventeen Recovery app that's free in your app store or online at two seventeen recovery dot com.