Speaker 1: All right, thanks for being with us. My name is Sandy, This is JB. Hello, trush us here too.
Speaker 2: Hi, everybody, and power to the people, right, power to the people.
Speaker 3: Tried to spoken, yep, and they won.
Speaker 4: They did.
Speaker 1: If you're with us yesterday, we said there's a there's certain groups in Austin, Texas you don't want to piss off. And one of them is the Barton Spring Swimmers. And they were making a move to shut down the late night swim and charge you to swim. And they rose up and they got organized and they won in the city council or whoever parks and rec back down and the pool will remain open until ten o'clock with free swimming.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you all. You know, it's all old Austinites over over sixty five, whose spearheaded this, who've been swimming it for decades, yep. And that was the other thing. If you weren't with us yesterday, we were talking about how, you know, Austin used to fight back on everything. Mm hmmm. We're like, hey, we're thinking painting in my house. No, you're not. Like everything was a fight, yes, which which kept us a small town for a long long time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, John noticed how quickly it happened, almost like whoever made the decision to shut it down was like, I don't think this is gonna work. Let's just see what happens. And they the moment they pushed back, they're like, all right, never mind, never mind, will stay open.
Speaker 1: And social media had a lot to do with it. I mean, there was a huge Reddit thread about it. All they had to do was read that thread and go, mmm, maybe not a good idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's cool that you can finally, you know, it seems like a lot of times is change ever stopped, you know, like people like very rarely does something like this come along, and the people that made the decision go, oops, we made a mistake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: And in this case, so good for the people that said, oops, we made a mistake too, right, they realized it was a lot more important to some people. Tonight, Texas Stars are playing at the HGB Center. JB and I went to the game on Monday night and it is or what night was it? It was Monday night, right, yeah, and so again my whole week confused. Sorry, the game is tonight and they're taking on Abbotsbury and they're in the Western Conference finals. Uh, and it is an absolute blast. One of the great things Jbu pointed out yesterday, the HGB Center in Cedar Park just did it right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, they just did it right Austin. Historically. I know a lot of people listening are new Historically, we have tried a lot of minor league sports, and we tried hockey before and it failed, you know, and then round Rock Express came along, did it right, and it showed how it's done. That was great. But then when the when, the when the stars came and they you know, in home base in the Cedar Park Center, You're like, it's NHL, right, I mean it's a smaller venue, but they're not much different now and they're pretty good. The level of play is pretty.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, there's one step away from playing in Dallas in the in the National Hockey League. By the way, Stanley Cup Playoff our final start tonight in the NHL. But had a great time. And I just love hockey fan. I love hockey fan.
Speaker 3: They're hanging on the glass.
Speaker 1: Telling the refie sucks, you know, pointing. I mean, it's just great.
Speaker 3: And uh, the does the Cedar Park Center always only sell beers that giant.
Speaker 1: I saw that.
Speaker 3: I'm a lover of beer. But when she handed that to me, I was like, oh, hey, hey, hey, maybe just poured in a bus tub. And then when I went back for another, so it was literally like a twenty four ounce maybe, so that's two beers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The nice thing is you don't have to go back and forth. And then I went back to another for another, and I was like, I just want a small one this time. That's too much, and then she there was only one size. Yeah, like they're just giant.
Speaker 1: I think it's the first time I've ever As we were leaving, it was first time I've ever seen Jimmy not finish a beer.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well I only wanted to have three beers, that's what it was like, that's just a lot.
Speaker 1: Well it was over the course of three hours, too.
Speaker 3: Right, and I needed to drive back into town. So yeah, I just so I had about half of it.
Speaker 4: Did anybody smash up against the glass in front of you, guys? Oh yeah, nice hockey pucks.
Speaker 3: When that scrap starts happening right in front of you, it's like you're in the middle of a fight.
Speaker 4: You're in it.
Speaker 3: I had to pull Sandy back a few times.
Speaker 1: Boy, it was getting chippy at the end too. Towards the end of the game the Stars were winning five to two. The other abbot's berry was a little bit desperate and they were just little jabs and stuff at each other away from the puck. It was kind of funny.
Speaker 3: Holding onto their stick, yeah, and pulling on it, you know. Just I'm surprised there's not more fights in hockey when you really watch it up in person.
Speaker 1: Right, but it was I would lose my patience with some guys. It's just a lot of little little pushing, a little shoving, little stick to the ribs, you know what I mean, things like that.
Speaker 4: The enforcer on the team, Sandy, is this reefs or the one that goes out and knocks down the ones who are being super annoying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you do go to a game, you know what's funny to watch. If you sit opposite side of the bench where the players are on the bench, just look at the bench and at the very end of the bench there's the backup goalie and he just sits there like a big bear with all his equipment.
Speaker 3: He's just out for the whole time, for the.
Speaker 1: Whole game, he's just sitting there waiting for the other guy to screw up so he can get in. But he literally like, that's the goalie, the backup goalie spot on the bench, and he never moves. That's just where he sits the entire time.
Speaker 3: You used to have a theory and hockey thing. I think it was you. There's got to be there's gotta be a human big enough that you can just sit in front of the whole goal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the sumo wrestler. I was like, wow, they ever got a sumo wrestler and just cover the whole goal, just sit there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's hilarious.
Speaker 3: Chriss cross apple sauce. Right, nothing's getting.
Speaker 1: By good luck guys, right. I don't know they should do it, it'd be funny to see. So anyway, that game is tonight. I believe tickets are still available. And it's such a great arena, perfect size and easy. And that's another great thing. You're easy in and you're easy out. You know, you get off of the toll way, you get right back on the toll way to head home.
Speaker 3: So and you see all those you know, our kids are all getting older. You know, your daughter just turned sixteen. My daughter's twenty three. But you see those young families with their little kids just doing fun stuff.
Speaker 1: It's just cool. It is, and I'm telling you that it's this will always be the case no matter what. People go monkey nuts over a T shirt. Crazy.
Speaker 4: Oh are they shooting them into the crowd. Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Even the richest of rich will knock over a child to get a T shirt. T shirt.
Speaker 1: It's it's insane. People.
Speaker 4: You came home and you're like, look what I got. They were in every seat. It was like a free towel. Towel, I'm so excited about it.
Speaker 1: Keep it. I grabbed yours. JB. I've got it right here.
Speaker 3: Actually keep it. Okay, I got too funny on the T shirt thing. Quick side story. This was a radio conference for All Radio Time and Sandy and I we were hosting a session and we thought, because DJ's are all known for giving out T shirts, right, we're synonymous with it, And we thought, I wonder if a conference room full of DJs would go clamor for a T shirt. And so we had these horrible looking T shirts made. It's the what's that painting called where they're touching the fingers the Agelo out of the Sustine Chapel. Right, yeah, very godlike finger. Yes, they're touching. We did it, but they were holding microphones. It was the tackiest T shirt ever. And we borrowed a T shirt gun and started firing it into the crowd. They were killing each other for it. Oh, we were dying laughing it.
Speaker 1: We were making fun of them and they didn't even know it.
Speaker 4: That's hilarious.
Speaker 1: Oh, people go nuts for a T shirt. Coming up today, we talked about how fun the Stars is a little bit. We're gonna tell you some other little things that you can do around Austin. You know, school's out and a lot of parents, our grandparents are looking for things to do with the kids or kids things to do. We've got a few of them. In just a little bit, Tricia has got the story we love. Coming up next, what do you have?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have all the info on what you need to know about Blues on the Green for this summer.
Speaker 1: Oh all right, stay with us. Coming up on Austin's eighties station one O three point one and streaming on the iHeartRadio app. Blues on the Green All the details that you need. Tricia's got them in just a second. But Tricia, you said something kind of in passing before we started here, ten thousand steps makes you horny?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah. They're saying that if you can hit ten thousand steps a day, you're going to see an uptick in your sex life. If basically, if you're healthy, your horny is what they're saying.
Speaker 1: Really, there's all a lot of reasons to be healthy.
Speaker 4: Yet another reason to do the ten thousand steps today.
Speaker 3: If I go to the gem, which isn't very often, but I do ride bikes often. Afterward, yeah, i'd say I'm a little fired up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you got all those juices flowing and this serotonin and endorphins, loose and happy, a little stinky, so you should probably shower first, but hey start Welcome to.
Speaker 3: The Stork live from the Laser Wholt Studio.
Speaker 4: Here's Tricia Delicia. So Austin's Blues on the Green concert series is returning again in August on the fifth and sixth. It's going to be at Zilker Park. For people who may not know, it's a free community event. It's on the Great Lawn at Zilker Park. Features evening features local based music, performances, pets, friendly, family, fun, local artists chilling out. The lineup has not been announced yet, but we do know that it will be at Zilker Park on August fourth. I'm sorry, fifth and six.
Speaker 3: Bob Schneider, Let's go through the Marsha ball.
Speaker 4: Guys. It's classic, it's traditional. That's why you want to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's what it is.
Speaker 3: Group of fantastic Yeah, probably, And I'm not the only one I'm bagging on is Dale Watson, but the rest of them my life. But it's just Austin just rehashes the same thing.
Speaker 4: People show up every time.
Speaker 1: Right, Who is that cover band? And the girls went nuts.
Speaker 3: For Oh oh that where they're all nerdy? Yeah eighties cover band.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a cover band that they people just went, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: I think, how do I not know that? We've seen him a million times. They used to play Cedar Street all the time.
Speaker 4: He recognize the name instantly.
Speaker 1: Second, come on, I know there's some text us if you know seven seven, three, three zero one ninety six. Really they're really good, is the thing. I mean, they're just women just loved them.
Speaker 3: Oh they do. They have a blast with them.
Speaker 1: And I can't remember the name. To save my life, you're.
Speaker 4: Going to they are right now?
Speaker 3: Everyone knows that except yeah.
Speaker 1: Except the guys that should know it.
Speaker 4: Right, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: But they'll they'll be there. I can't believe. It's going to drive me nuts. Yeah, Oh what do you what do you even search for that?
Speaker 4: I'm old school Austin cover band.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Remember the egg Men?
Speaker 3: Oh they did Beatles covers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they were pretty good too. I saw them at the Oasis once. I don't mean to brag. I was at the Oasis. Why I was there? I had to be because somebody was in town visiting, Yeah, to show them bands.
Speaker 3: I cannot. I can't let this go. No, I know Skyrocket is a big one, and after the lights and then there's true. I can't find it.
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 1: Sure you know what, Continue on with your story and it will pop into one of our heads as you did. It will just hit us or someone to let us know. Sure.
Speaker 4: No, that's basically my story. Do you know that the Austin City Limits Radio Summer series is around for thirty four years? We almost lost it, like back in twenty twenty four for funding issues. But yeah, instead of.
Speaker 1: Just part of acl summer music series.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Blues on the Green is, but it used to be all summer long. Now we just have this one weekend huck.
Speaker 1: Probably because they weren't making money on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess so. And of course they're saying all the same things. It's gonna be on Barton Springs at Zilker Park. Do not try and drive and park down there. It's going to cost you twenty Uber down there, Uber down there, ride your bike. They have buses running for it.
Speaker 1: I have a question. You know, I've not used it. The light rail okay, that goes from Leander in the downtown Austin. Do they have somewhere where you could put a bicycle on it like they do buses?
Speaker 3: Like, let's not Oh I think.
Speaker 1: Oh can you bring a bicycle onto?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, try and take it down from Cedar Park and then just cycle over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they'll let you. My question is do they let you bring a bike onto the train? I don't know?
Speaker 3: Good question?
Speaker 4: Oh the train, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but.
Speaker 3: I've got good news. What is it? Spasmatics? Spasmatics, Yeah, I don't know why I couldn't think of that.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, yes, oh you know another they wouldn't play Blues on the Green, but they're still great guys. And they played your wedding.
Speaker 4: Oh dysfunction, just function, jump to what I was thinking of.
Speaker 3: They reunite every now and then and there's a different lineup, but then the originals we'll get back together every now and then. Yeah, they played my wedding in all one hundred and eight degrees of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really good guys, really good guys Scott and Scott's now involved with Purple Be Studios, which is really a cool little venue in Blinte and they've got other recordings to they're doing a lot of cool stuff.
Speaker 1: So anyway, enjoy your Blues on the Green. How smart would it be that if you could bring one of those portable cold plunges into Blues on the Green.
Speaker 3: Charge would be a place to sell them, right exactly, That's what I'm like.
Speaker 1: Or just charge five dollars a plunge, quick dip.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ew getting in after all the other sweaty people got in.
Speaker 1: You do it at Burton Springs, you do it at a pool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it's different. They have I don't know, that's a different.
Speaker 3: That water's moving. Yeah, it's good, that's yeah. Yeah, I mean I have a cold plunge. I'd say, after about twenty plunges or so, you want to change it up? Yeah, And I go in there after showering, Right, it still gets funky.
Speaker 4: That's the word funky.
Speaker 1: Stay with us. We have got a question we're probably not gonna be able to answer, but it's something that people do when they respond to a text message that I don't think any of us know exactly what it means. It may be up to your own interpretation, but we'll tell you what it is. Stay with us. It's coming up on Austin's Dad station one o three point one and streaming on iHeartRadio app. There's a certain emoji response to a text message that has all three of us baffled. You send someone a text message about whatever, and they respond with their exclamation points, but it says so and so emphasized this.
Speaker 3: My wife did it to me the other day. I sent her something and she sent that back and I go, huh, that means I've been emphasized. I was a little kind of scratching my head and I was like, well, I guess it was not a haha. Right, it was not really a harder thumbs up sort of situation. Right, and you've got an emphasize.
Speaker 1: But you know, the thumbs up that ends all text conversation. You know that, right, that's.
Speaker 4: Our Sandy's theory.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's supposed to end it.
Speaker 1: That's the theory. Is when you've been going back and forth with somebody on a text thread, the first the person that sends the thumbs up. Whenever that happens, that text thread is now over.
Speaker 4: Yes, some people don't know when to stop with the text. They think they have to respond to everything, so you thumbs up them and stop.
Speaker 3: I've never used the emphasize of you what it means.
Speaker 1: It means if there's only a way that you could ask the computer figure, if there was just.
Speaker 4: Not in the dictionary.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait a bit, let me get my Oxford's diction. No, that's not gonna work.
Speaker 3: Do you still have your set of encyclopedias?
Speaker 1: And no? I sold my Funk and Wagnalls a few years ago.
Speaker 3: I stold them, Wow, you found a sucker. Oh okay, I just punched it in and something jumped out at me. All right, it makes sense, okay that I didn't know, and I guess I didn't notice it the other day, So I'll start with it, says I asked chat GPT. The common uses are to highlight importance like don't forget your appointment. Emphasize okay, yeah, to express strong feelings like I can't believe this happened okay, underscore sarcasm or disbelief like oh great, emphasize okay, react with drama or humor like seriously, hmm, emphasize but here's the part that I didn't know. I guess I didn't notice it the other day. When you emphasize, it shakes, it slams onto the screen and shakes a little bit to get your attention. Really, I guess I didn't notice that.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 4: But that clears nothing up for me.
Speaker 1: It's kind of that it means hell yeah. I think hell yeah. It is probably the best way to describe it. Like if you sent me a text about something I emphasized it, just imagine me saying hell yeah, that's that's right.
Speaker 4: It probably probably depends on what the text is, like if somebody I feel like a double exclamation is like are you freaking kidding me? That's always what I think it is or like an oh my god, but apparently it can. I think it depends on what your subject is.
Speaker 1: I just emphasized something to both of you. Guys. You can see what it looks like your phone, if it wiggles, if.
Speaker 3: It didn't wiggle.
Speaker 4: Mine did not wiggle.
Speaker 1: Huh trap is GPT wrong?
Speaker 3: Interesting? Well, maybe that's only on mobile. I'm looking on my computer. Are you no mobile? It didn't shake.
Speaker 4: Didn't shake on mobile chat?
Speaker 3: GPT lied to us.
Speaker 4: You mean something you found on the internet is not correct?
Speaker 1: What hard to believe?
Speaker 4: I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: Hard to believe. I don't really. The only ones the emojis that I really use is really the thumbs up, maybe an occasional ha ha. I'm not big on the heart or the question mark.
Speaker 3: Ouse you.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize if you swiped on your emojis. When you're doing that on a message, there's more. Oh, I changed my.
Speaker 4: Photo more than just the fifteen that were on the screen right there.
Speaker 1: No, No, I knew the ones too, Like when you use the emojis, but when you like to hold it down on a text message and they open up, maybe there was more. Trita, you're not the only one that finds it funny that I've changed my profile picture on my iPhone.
Speaker 4: You did it on my iPhone though, no, but it shows up on other people. I didn't accept it.
Speaker 1: It's just a silverback gorilla. Now when I call, I.
Speaker 4: Pushed it and something caught my eye and I lift it. It's just this giant gorilla.
Speaker 3: That's a good way to get people to take your call.
Speaker 4: I remember, like I just sent you, guys my favorite emoji, Like this represents me most every single day.
Speaker 1: That one or the eye that's the how do you explain that? The squinty eyes.
Speaker 3: One Miley face, but it's just straight line.
Speaker 4: It's the eyes, or just straight slits in the mouth. It's just a slit, and it's one of those like just irritated.
Speaker 3: Like it's kind of like that a knockoff of the have a Nice Day Smiley face. But it's just straight lines.
Speaker 4: Right. But he's he's just put out. He's very don't hit these people like it's a very you annoy the crap out of me emoji sign.
Speaker 1: The one turs sends me that annoys me is the eye roll.
Speaker 4: Yeah, whenever he says things, I just sent him an eye roll like silly boy.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. So I don't know if we answered any questions on the emphasize, but.
Speaker 3: Let's try it out. Let's report back in a week or so, and sorry, lives are changed.
Speaker 1: All right? Stick around. More coming up on Austin's eighty station one o three point one