Speaker 1: Salsbury Salisbury.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 3: Shawn Salisbury ny.
Speaker 4: To usc Trump's longtime friend, Shawn Salisbury, Dan matthewscuse hous.
Speaker 5: This is the Sewan Salisbury Show.
Speaker 6: One of the nominies for best Team is the Dallas Cowboys. No, I'm joking obviously, Uh, Dallas Socks go Birds.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: Four time w NBA All Star Britney Hicks is here.
Speaker 1: Give it up for Brittany.
Speaker 6: Everybody, I'm uh.
Speaker 5: I'm joking around.
Speaker 1: That's my friend's wife. I knew. None of you knew w NBA players. That's crazy.
Speaker 6: You clap for the Travis Hunter won the won the Heisman Trophy this year. He's the first defensive player since Charles Woodson to win the Heisman. Congratulations Travis Hunter winning the Heisman. That's something they can never take away from you, unless you kill your wife and a waiter, in which case they can take that away from you.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 6: See, a lot of you don't like me, and that's okay, that's.
Speaker 1: It for me.
Speaker 6: That went about is exactly how we all thought it was going to go.
Speaker 2: I don't know why this happened.
Speaker 6: Joe Rogan actually wanted me to be here to host this award show so that I could capture Adam Silver because Joe thinks he's an alien, and Donald Trump wanted me to be here to capture Juan Soto for the same reason.
Speaker 2: It's an alien joke.
Speaker 1: Were bowed up there, dude, Shut up, and that is how it goes.
Speaker 8: Last night at the SP's and good morning, and away we go from here.
Speaker 1: At SEC Media days one more day here before me.
Speaker 8: Dan Matthews is back with Sean Salisbury and Triple Lee Emmanuel Elmore in.
Speaker 1: Our iHeart Radio Houston Studios.
Speaker 8: Sean, I gotta be honest, I didn't watch one minute of it last night, but I did see that somebody posted the opening monologue of Shane Gillis. You know how much of a Shane Gillis fan I am and he killed.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I didn't watch it either. I'm a huge fan of his. Good Morning. I've worked at ESPN for twelve years and been gone for a while, and I didn't watch it, then didn't go then have it now that I'm just not an award show guy. But I think he's hilarious. I saw some clips this morning, and you heard something there. I think he's extremely funny. I think it's classic when he goes after politicians and athletes, all of it. It's comedy, folks, no matter where you sit laugh. We've lost that, So I'm all for it anytime you want to give me Shane Gillis, and I love Sometimes the jokes hit, sometimes they don't, but anytime you can make fun of people that are there and slavergn all over themselves, which we see all the time at award shows, and rightfully, so I'm all in. I think Shane Gillis is hilarious and he can host it anytime he wants, because, uh, good comedians don't back off.
Speaker 2: And worry about what people are gonna say.
Speaker 9: So, yeah, I didn't see it, but I saw the clips and I think he's pretty funny.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 8: I'm the same way with Awards shows too, because it's a bunch of people who always get praise and notoriety that are seeking more praise and notoriety and it's just like, all right, come on, like enough of your getting over yourself, Like you need to get over yourself, Like stop stop like looking at every turn for us to be like, oh look how great these people are.
Speaker 9: And here's the problem is it? Is it celerity. They are great, you know, going on Twitter and and you know politicians and celebrities and ripping everybody else and telling them. I mean, what in a time in our country, think about it when politicians on both sides, I don't care who it is, When governors and presidents and congress people are fighting on Twitter. I mean, can you add Ronald reg Yeah, let's go fight on Twitter. I mean it's it's it's absurd. They're like a bunch of twelve year olds, all of them, and athletes fight among each other this and that. I think anytime you can get a good comedian gill Us or back in Carlin or Prior's days, that can just get on them and they need a little humble pie. It's perfect way. It should be a roast. And that's what it is. Ward show, Come get your award. We have award shows like every five days in sports and music and acting and all of it, you know what, every now and then, Yeah, you're exactly get out of your own way. Let people laugh with you, because that's about the only chance we get a chance to do it because everybody's so sensitive. You know what, you got your Person of the Year, your athlete, of the year. It's okay for him to say something that has to do with race. It's okay something has to do with religion. It's okay to make fun of the president. It's okay to imitate the president. It's okay to make fun of any of us. It's called comedy for a reason. And anybody that can't handle it, don't show up to a ward shows. If you're that soft, don't show up to a ward show. So people complain, what do you want to do? Because if you go up there and you're boring, then we'll all say, we will that that's not any good. So deal with you give me him or what's my other guy who roasted him at the t the the the what's Ricky Gervais. I'll take those two all day, every day. And if you can't laugh yourself over all this, we got enough going on. It's called comedy for a reason. They need to get over themselves. And when you see reactions and people are laughing or they're offended, you know what, that's on you. And if you don't like it, you do have the choice to take that tux off or suit off and go home. You'll get over it and regardless, so that I don't ever get offended when a comedian isn't making fun of me or making fun of somebody else.
Speaker 2: It's a good thing and they need it well.
Speaker 8: And it's also too I think I've said this saying on air before. Have sports people work in sports, and Gillis is a big sports fan. So I mean, if he was going to tailor some of his jokes last night and be able to have a good hit rate on them, I feel like he was the right guy to be able to do that because who was it for years that you used to host the Academy Awards when Billy Crystal, but like Crystal was safe, like Crystal was.
Speaker 2: Needy, hosted them forever.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he was not going to offend the collective there in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: He was going to kiss the.
Speaker 9: Ass, Yeah, and he did. He's a very funny, good guy. But if you're standing up there, you're not supposed to be up there to tell everybody everything they want to hear. They're going to be told that when everybody's brown knows and when they get their award nominations are funny. You should be able to laugh the best ones make fun of them. And I'll guarant ask to you every time. There's a lot of those those celebrities that don't even like Ricky Gervas anymore because he made fun of Hollywood at a time when they should be made fun of because they're absurd. Okay, And the same thing here Shane Gillis. Listen, you don't need the approval of an ESPN audience to still be a great comedian. So I don't know, I don't know what the talk is about his performance because, like I said, I didn't see the full thing. But oh, I'm sure plenty were offended, but they'll get over it. White, black, female, male athlete, non athlete, executive, non executive.
Speaker 2: When you put a.
Speaker 9: Guy like Shane Gillis on stage, you better understand what you getting.
Speaker 2: And to me, it's laughs.
Speaker 9: And the more offend, the more you can offend people and have them go, oh my gosh, that's unbelievable, and the more we can relate to it, it's good. It is comedy. It is a show, and it's every year we go through this on Awards. Just man, that guy was too harsh, So that good. You know what, Let it rip. That's why you're there. And if you can't laugh at yourself, then you probably in the wrong business and the need to take two weeks off and quit and go do something else.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So that was the SP's last night and Shane Gillis, as far as I could tell, he absolutely killed that Travis Hunter joke was so good. I mean, I understand the delivery of it too, especially you know, I thought about this morning where I was like, I gotta believe the Golden In family is not going to really appreciate, you know, just how he referenced their son. But I mean, just the joke itself, it killed and the cowboys won.
Speaker 1: He did a great job.
Speaker 9: But I'll tell you this when it comes to the you know, the the families of that that's not the first time that joke's been told. You do know that that that joke was years ago when a comedian said it said, oh yeah, when he killed his wife and a waiter that that that that that joke. You go back and look, that's not the first time that's ever been used. I've heard that joke. That that joke's twenty years old. He used it, and I don't know how many people realize, but that that wasn't the first time when he said it. I said, oh, yeah, that's familiar. So that that was, that was somebody else's years ago. Now I don't know if he knows that, but that was that was delivered a long time ago, a long time ago. So but you know what, I'm sure they won't appreciate it. But once again, unfortunately, while it may hurt, comedians are held to a different standard. And quite frankly, you know, and if you don't want the guy who cusses, then you you go go to a you got to go to Christian comedy, I guess. But when you hire that guy, what do you expect? What do you think you're getting? What do you think you're getting when you put Ricky Gervais on stage with a bunch of people that look in the mirror and and and think that that they well kind of invented the earth and that everything was centered around them, and last night with Shan Gillison, if you want to do that, they'd go hire somebody who bores you to death and isn't willing to offend somebody coming out of these shows. You should you should say be laugh and say damn, somebody's going to be offended.
Speaker 2: Even though somebody shouldn't be.
Speaker 9: But I understand the Goldman family, but that's not the first time that that's not the first time that family's hurt. It because it was harsh and unfortunate and change the life. I get it. But comedians just there, they're hell do a different standard.
Speaker 2: They are. You can be offended.
Speaker 9: Matter of fact, the more offended you get a lot of times, the more successful the comedian is. Just like on Twitter, the more stupidity and hot takes you make. Look at turn on your TV on your sports show, people who don't actually know what they're talking about, but as long as it's a hot take, their click click, click, click, click and get it ooh, get paid more. We're not at a time when in credible media or a credible credible takes are the take over the world. We're at a time when the hotter take it is, the more fighting and arguing you can do, the more wealth people will come to you. It's a novel concept to you know, probably do the right thing. But when it comes to comedians there I like, when there's no rules for comedians, it'll never bother me, don't care. I understand if you're the Goldman family, but you know, what you should probably understand in a sports event even then, because that I grew I was in LA at the time. All that stuff you know, went on, I mean meaning a lot of the Al Collings and the whole thing that went on. They have to know that this probably best is somebody I just don't turn on the comedy.
Speaker 2: Don't turn on a.
Speaker 9: Comedian when it's at a sports show because you know, somewhere, somehow his name always gets brought up.
Speaker 2: Somewhere, does O. J. Simpson.
Speaker 9: So it's it sucks, But comedy is what it is. And you know, you don't have to go to a comedy show and you don't have to turn on your TV. If you're there, you know what you're getting it. If you hired him, don't come back and be offended by it. Okay, that's what medians do, and if they don't, then the show's probably pretty boring.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I mean especially to you talked about the Jervaise one earlier. That was really timely because that was also coming right out of COVID, I believe, and that was when people were just over celebrities of the whole. You know, hey, stay home, we're all in this together. It's like, you're not in this together with me. You're in your palatial little mansion there in the Hollywood Hills and you're telling me that I can't go to work. Screw you, dude, Like, no, I'm not in this with you. You're you're in it with somebody else with me.
Speaker 9: It was a farce. Then it's a farce now, So well do we can move on from that? But you know, good on Shane Gillis, get some laughs, and well you'll know if they don't invite him back next year, guess what.
Speaker 2: I'll probably tell you that, well, we had too much backlash and too many people.
Speaker 9: Friend, that's exactly if if you don't invite, if you're not inviting back because too may pe, you're like, wow, you probably should invite him back. But if you walk into a show like that and that guy's hosting it and I love him, I think he's hilarious. If he offends you, well you're probably gonna have to get over it. And I doubt he's gonna give you an apology if you hurt your feelings, and most comedians don't nor should they.
Speaker 8: No now for sure, and he's gonna be in Houston. He's actually gonna be over at Toyota Center here in September, so I might have to duck over there and check him out. But anyway, as I mentioned one more day here in Atlanta at SEC Media Days, and then also too where one more day away from as our Sports Talk seven ninety Twitter account put one more day away from Astros season two point zero. So we'll get into that as the show goes along. The British Open happening right now over at Royal Port Rush a couple of guys at the top of the leader board. Jacob scove Olison is one of the leaders and also a throwback. Lee Westwood also top of the lead at four unders. So we'll get into the conversation. But speaking of the Astros, it is an incredibly important for one particular Astro. Will tell you exactly why, as we're just getting started to hear on a Thursday on the Sean Salisbury show Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: But Sean, I mentioned it the other day lunch, it's gonna.
Speaker 8: Be right here before you know it today, and I think me and you both know a great spot if you're.
Speaker 1: On the fence for lunch this afternoon.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I would imagine that if you're wise, you'd go to jbar and Barbecue. And I don't care where you are, it's worth your drive, whether there's an event going on or not. But we know when the Astros or the Rockets are in town or there's a convention right over there at twenty two oh one Leland. Best menu and the best uh well, the best food with that menu. That matches when you go into a place you have expectations, Well, when the expectations of the taste of the food and the customer service exceed.
Speaker 2: What you thought going in.
Speaker 9: That's happened to me first on first time I went in there said okay, barbecue's barbecue here and teg we have a lot of great barbecue. And then you walk through the line and get what you want and grab yourself to jalapeno cheddar sausage or some mac and cheese or some brisket, and then you sit down you realize, well, while it's melting in my mouth, I realized, no, not all barbecue is the same, and it's sure as hell isn't. From there it's the best you got the Hall of Fame menu indoor outdoor. You have great facility and parking, so it is, and you know they can host what three hundred people, You can have a private party there. Everything about Jbarm Barbecue says they care and they're special.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean the brisket's elite as you just mentioned, the julapeno chutter sausage, the sides, the same deal. And you don't even have to just go straight barbecue at Jbarm Barbecue. When you go to twenty two oh one Leland Streets, you can go a brisket burger, Yes, sir, let's do that. Maybe even some pretzel bites with some queso to dip it in. Yep, that's in play too. And another thing is when you step in the Jbarm Barbecue Sean, I mean, the smell gets to you immediately. You're like, oh, this is gonna be really really good. Yeah, and you see Hoffee and the crew there, always greeding for a great time.
Speaker 9: Yeah, always greed in the pitt master as well as the thing I love too is you know you can eat what Joe Spotty likes to you.
Speaker 2: Did you know the Joe's Spot of Hall of Fame menu?
Speaker 9: But what I do love is that the man who owns it, mister Toomey, he's what ninety six years old? Is there most every day now that when you see him there grind and it tells you he's there because well, I means hell, he's lived a life one hundred of us want to live and he's still there making sure you get it done right.
Speaker 2: Great food. You got to go into Jbarn Barbecue twenty two on one Leland.
Speaker 8: There you go, jbr M Barbecue, lunch, dinner, anytime. It's always a hit. Jbr M Barbecue twenty two to one Leland Street. Stop by today, let's go.
Speaker 5: This is this Sean Salisbury show.
Speaker 8: You're kind of like, oh, yeah, not every place is like Houston on the surface of the sun.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well it's not. Also, it's I don't think they look at that as their summer. They're not in season like we are here summertime. So I got a buddy who's a member at bally Bunyon, which is a top ten core in the world, and they go every August and get invited every one of the years' One of these years, I'm gonna take two weeks off and go with them. They play all kinds of course, but he's remember at Valley Bunying about fifteen twenty guys go and it's it's raining. They go play and they have a blast, they drink beer, but just how you play it. And they go in August the same thing you're playing, and it'll wind and umbrellas and sweaters and rain jackets. So it's a great test, true test man. Better hit the ball low, and you better be able to be a great iron player if you're gonna play here. Not even a great putter, I mean good putter, but the unele. You got to hit it close and you've got to give yourself a chance because it's it's a problem. But uh, and it's cold. So it's a true test of golf.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 9: It's a if you don't have creativity at a British Open, then you will you will not win this. But you keep an eye on John Rahm, Brooks Koepka obviously, the guys like Lowry who's won here before, and and uh Rory McElroy and there will always be somebody. But Matt Fitzpatrick I think he's yeah, he's on. I think he's at two underpar. Those guys. Uh, and it's it's it's tough the the the Americans have it different. They don't usually, you know, I mean the Tom Watson's in the world.
Speaker 2: He won five of these.
Speaker 9: It's hard to play this type of golf because normally, oh, you're around the green, get a lob wedge and just flip it in there. So and of course Scheffler is going to be around because he's as good iron players if it is in the world. So you better hit great irons, and you better you better have be able to adjust your ball flight and uh, and these guys will. But I love the test because you're looking at him there and vests and hoodies and stuff, and uh, there'll be a lot of bogies, but there'll be a lot of great uh you know, wow factor shots and stuff. And I can't wait to see how it unfolds. I love this and that's what I'll be doing for four straight days when uh, when off, just watch watch watch this golf and see how they handle it.
Speaker 2: Be cool. I love this.
Speaker 1: This is where you need to hit the stinger.
Speaker 9: This this is regularly that's exactly right. And you better, you better be able to high ball hitters will struggle here and high ball hitters and last time they played at this golf course or the last time. It was won by Shane Lowry.
Speaker 2: Here he.
Speaker 9: I think was greens in regulation he hit more greens or I had great iron play. So when you do that and keep it play and have a chance put it on at the short grass in the fairway from a stinger and then hit it somewhere on the green and be able to lag, well you'll be fine. I don't think there's a lot of I know, I don't think this is a twenty under par golf course this next four days. So it's going to test everything you've got and I can't wait to see it.
Speaker 8: Yep, definitely, so so a lot of early morning golf for us to be able to watch here the next few days.
Speaker 1: I mentioned the day was a huge day for one particular astro.
Speaker 8: If you remember Sean Monday's show, we played a little bit of audio from astros g Dina Brown where he had said that today was going to be jord On at meeting with doctors, probably going to do it over zoom, but going to meet with them, and then they're hopeful that they get a good result from said meeting with the doctors and then.
Speaker 1: Maybe he can start swinging.
Speaker 8: And I mean, as we had heard earlier in the week no audio this time, but earlier in the week Dana Brown saying that they would also like to expedite the process of getting at Jordan Alvarez back. That last part kind of gives me a little bit of caution, does it not?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 9: Yeah, but what's xpite expedite? We're pushing ninety days? Well, what's what's what's expedite? We're past x expedite. They tried that and not saying for Dana, but they tried that and then they had to redo it. I mean, they had to shut him down. So and I'm I'm I'm maybe I'm naive, but I don't know a zoom call. What what's a zoom call going to do? Hey, how do you feel? I feel great? Okay, we'll see you Friday.
Speaker 8: Mean I would say that's pretty much it. Hey, shake that guy's hand right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw.
Speaker 9: I don't know the protocol they're going to go through to get him ready, and I do know this, it'd be great to have him back when it does. But expediting the process comes down to me. It's real simple. Do the images say he's one hundred percent cure healthy? Meaning is is it healed. And if it's one hundred percent healed, then you look at him and say you're cleared to go. If it's eighty five percent healed, you can't expedite that. That's been tried before and it'll linger all year long. I'm not a doctor, but my gut tells me when a guy's been out almost ninety days, you better wait till he's one hundred percent healthy, because then it's now we're in the precious time that if he has a setback again, you're not going to see him until the playoffs. If you're lucky, say, can't afford a setback. So when that, when that, when that picture says he's healed, he can go now, no.
Speaker 2: Risk of hurting him more. Now it's just strengthening it.
Speaker 9: And it's and a pain, a threshold pain thing, a pain, how he can handle it, then you're good to go. So I'm not a doctor, but it appears this deep endto it that I would make sure that it's he's one hundred percent ready to go and healthy, and then how he feels from there. But if the images say he's good to go, now, you got to put it on him. Say how much can you handle, and if he I can hand all of it, let's go play. Then you get him his assignment, and whether it's in the major leagues or whether it's live batting practice where it's going down to triple A and let's get it rolling, I'll I'm going to reserve and hold my excitement in silence until I see the full result, because I go in thinking he's not ready, and if he's ready, it's a bonus because it's it's been there's been a lot of disappointments along this road, and as a team, you can't predict when a guy's going to be ready to go. But if the image is clear, then it comes down to how are you good? And how's how are you meaning you're down, and then we'll let it rip and see what happens. But I don't think this is a he's eighty five percent, let's go, he feels good. Probably a little too dangerous right now when you're three months in. It's taken a lot longer we expected, so I'm not sure what expedit what we're expediting now, other than getting back on the field when he's healthy.
Speaker 8: Well, and that's the key part right there. When he's healthy, because I think people are wondering if he's going to be healthy, And you touched on a little bit, but I mean there's kind of a feeling for me Sean that if he comes back and the same deal again, all we got to shut him down at that point. If you're the Astros, don't you have to think about just saying twenty twenty five just isn't in the cards for us with this guy.
Speaker 9: Well, from my vantage point, if they shut him down again, you're not seeing him anymore now unless you get the hey man, he's going to be fully healthy. Of course, you'll continue the path the rehab. You're not going to all of a sudden sa he's done for the year, because you don't want fan base to oh my gosh, because they imagine the fallout from that. But then you just say, hey man, we're still working on it. It's been a process, it's been re injured, we'll reevaluate it. We've got to take some time off, and it doesn't look good for anytime soon, So that that's my concern. But yes, if you have to shut him down again or he's not good to go, I don't I mean, we're already fourteen days or fifteen days away from August, I mean, and I would imagine, iagine how the season goes. Would it would also dictate, well, where are we, Well, we're ten games in front, Jordan's not quite healthy yet, what's the rush and there you know, ninety days or whatever it's been already. I'm not sure we're worried about it being rushed now. But yeah, if you have to shut him down again, I would imagine there's probably a pretty good chance if you're shutting him down again that that would be you're shutting him down and if we're fortunate, you get him in the postseason. We're in We're we at seventy games, sixty some games left, ninety six so ninety six so so that'd be sixty two to one hundred and sixty six games? Is it left to play sixty six games? By the end of this month, there'll be what fourteen or fifteen more down whatever it is, fourteen more and then you're now you're in August, and now you're inside. You're at fifty. So you get him when you can get him, and it's a blessing when you do.
Speaker 2: But I'll wait to see.
Speaker 9: I'll wait until I get to see it and know he's in uniform ready to roll. But it's a very slippery slope and I'm sure they're being very cautious. Yet would like him on the field because of the frustration, and obviously you.
Speaker 1: Need him for sure.
Speaker 8: Seven two five, seven ninety is the number to get in on the phone lines. Will continue the Astros conversation because while this is looked at as being a strength, there is a glaring weakness when it comes to this part of the Astros. In twenty twenty five, will discuss that here as we're just getting going on a Thursday, Sports Talk seven ninety the seven ninety listener line in the six o'clock hour is brought to you by one eight hundred. Car Cash talked a lot about Jordan Alvarez. That seems like he is going to be a key to how Dana Brown and tries to navigate the trade deadline. It's gonna be coming up here in a couple of weeks. But you've also heard me numerous times talk about my concern with the pitching staff and Chandler Rome of the Athletic putting out a good piece yesterday of second half storylines. Trade deadline everything else as part of the athletic and he had mentioned that the Astros this year were an even five h under it in games that were not started by either Hunter Brown or from ber Valdez, and the group that was fronted by Colton Gordon, Brandon Walter, Ryan Gusto and Lance mccullors Junior have as a combined group a first half era of four point eight seven. So you also have to wonder if Dana Brown it comes down to one or the other and he has a chance to upgrade at the pitching staff, I think that you probably know where he's gonna go.
Speaker 9: Well, maybe we've overrated the starting pitching staff a little past the first two when you look at those numbers that Rome put up, and I don't mean that disrespectful to them, but we be like, man, they've stepped up. Yeah, you could use Javier and Garcia if as possible, or somebody out there. There's no doubt, and you know, an ar pushing five and they're a five hundred team without those first two starting on the mound. Now there's other things. It's not just him, because there are games when they've done a good job and this team has not scored it's a reflection of that as well, and at times, unfortunately, if they give up three or four runs, that's enough to beat the Astros. That's been enough to beat the Astros at times this year. Yet they're batting average, you know, up until a week or so before, and may still be. I haven't looked recently. It was what didn't top three in the league. I mean they still It's not just the batting average, it's getting runs across the plate in key moments. And you know that you can win a game three to two or two to one with Brown and Fromber because well, they're going to keep it low for the most part, most of the time and give you six innings, maybe seven innings. The other guys, wal Grinding and a couple of them were not expected to even be in this role this year have done a good job. But I don't think they can sustain just those two guys because the burden on the bullpen, which has been outstanding for the most part this year, becomes a bigger burden to carry. Let's put it right where we need to. Here's the things you have to do in the second half. Get healthy. Two, you better score more runs. You just better score more runs. And this is to a team that's you know, that's in first place by what a half a dozen games or so five six games?
Speaker 2: Now what a six games or five games?
Speaker 9: Five games in front, you have to go in one in five just before the All Star breaks.
Speaker 2: So you got to score more runs.
Speaker 9: You gotta get healthy, and you have to go get If you have two needs, you have to get a power bat. They need more home they need to drive the ball more, probably hopefully from the left hand side. But you know those aren't exactly guys that the people are given away, and you're gonna have to be better three, four and five pitching staff, you just are. So if those numbers, if we're if this is an analytics in the numbers type team, which it is, then that pitching staff posts the first two starting you're gonna need some help and hope that none of those guys get banged up. You're gonna have to get healthy, and you're just gonna have to be more explosive on offense.
Speaker 2: You just are.
Speaker 9: And if not, then you know you go and win a division.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 9: The question is for me, are they gonna get through the regular season? No, that's not the question. The question is when you get into the postseason, do you have enough horses to not only on the mound, but at the plate. And obviously you're not using six starters when you get a certain part of the postseason, obviously, but you're gonna need that to get there and have some cushion and rest down the stretch. You're gonna have to get healthy, and you're gonna have to score more runs. You just are and you're gonna have to do it, and you're gonna have to get a little more power in the lineup that is driving the ball. But health will be first. They I'll be shocked if there's not a deal done, and I'm actually more app to think it'll be a bigger deal than the smaller one now as we go on after what I saw six games going in, it's not panic, but you have to do everything in your power as an organization. Gim it's the job every year. My job's not to get my team ready to play in twenty thirty. If I'm a front office and Dana and Joe Espada and Jim Crane, all of them, their job is to get the team ready to play and take this lead and extend it and be ready to go. If you're if they think they're a World Series type team, you're gonna have to make more a move or more than one here in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: You just are and or you're.
Speaker 9: You're throwing caution to the win and saying, Okay, let's see if we have enough. It's like a race car driver and say, man, we've got ten laps to go. You want to come in and pit Naw, I'm gonna I think I can finish on these tires. So you got to ask yourself, is it a pit stop we got the lead, Is it a long pit stop or is it a pit stop? Or am I going to stay on these tires and keep this lead and get across the finish line so I have a chance to be playing for the for the Cup Championship in NASCAR, the Cup Series Championship.
Speaker 2: So that's that's where this is. Got a five game lead.
Speaker 9: But I wouldn't imagine we're all too comfortable with that, knowing the lineup, that the pitching that you're gonna face in your own division, and that the that the Mariners and the and the Rangers are looming. Five's nice better to be five up than five down. But are you making a pit stop? Which is the trade deadline? And how big is it you need? I mean, you always change all four tires, but how bald are they? Or can you finish this run with what you got on those tires? That's what they have to ask themselves. Is it a small one or a big one? I'm starting to tend to think it's going to be bigger than smaller. If they're not going to if they don't see their team getting healthy anytime soon, well, I.
Speaker 8: Mean, I think that's also to the point you just finished off with there, that's going to be the indicator because at least from what we hear from the guys that are currently working in West Palm Beach or even guys like Jordan, that there is a path to return.
Speaker 1: At least they're leaving us to believe that that's the case.
Speaker 8: But I mean, to your point, Sean, you see them swing for the fences and say that is a Ryan O'Hearn or that is not a back end of the rotation guy. Maybe somebody that can, you know, you can feature in the middle of your rotation, maybe even jumps into you know, top two guys there you're able to split fromber and Hunter right there. I think if you do that, then yeah, that probably shows you. Oh yeah, hey, how and those guys aren't coming back, are they?
Speaker 9: Okay, let me ask you this, what's the exact trade deadline date?
Speaker 1: I think?
Speaker 9: First, okay, so the end of the we got you to fifteen days, about right, somewhere in the fifteen to twenty days, so it should regardless of the exact moment, we'll get to that. So let's just say fifteen days, fifteen days. I'm sorry, Triple you were in my would you say, buddy thirty first? Okay, thank you? July three, So there you go. So today's the seventeenth. So there you go. You have fourteen days. All right, So let me let me pose this question, and I'll pose it to our audience too, because we've got great listeners, are you, and great insight on their astros.
Speaker 2: What if there's do you think there's.
Speaker 9: Going to be any change in the lineup health wise in the next two weeks? Jordn Payna Garcia JP France. I'm just going no, he's not come back, Spencer Araghetty. Right now, I mean, let's roll. Obviously, wez Nesky's not. I mean, but those in the next two weeks, maybe Chas McCormick. But I'm just saying, any of those guys you think are gonna be starting on the mound, or at least in Triple A in their rehab assignment, or back on the big league roster between now and July thirty first, I'm asking you a question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just thinking about it.
Speaker 9: No, okay, No, Then then if they're not ready by July thirty first, and we're real well we're gonna find out about the injuries and the trade deadline, then aren't you saying to yourself, if we're all in, I can't risk that they're not gonna be ready. Now, somebody says, well, they won't be ready by the first, but there's a chance they'll be ready by the tenth, and then maybe you don't make a big trade, but a chance.
Speaker 2: Are you willing to chance that chance? So the question I.
Speaker 9: Have is, if they're not back by July thirty first, and now we're into August and the trade dead lie passes and maybe they're setbacks, maybe they're not. You don't know that they're going to be ready. In psych man Payna's going to be two more weeks. This guy's going to be another week and a half. A Jake Myers is going to be in a With that in mind, do you take the risk and say, I'm going to count on the fact that we're going to get healthy and let's go, Or do you say we got fourteen days fifteen days to get moving, we can't wait. We think we're a World Series team, which I believe this team does, and they're playing to win, then we're not playing for twenty thirty.
Speaker 2: Then you have to go deal.
Speaker 9: You have to go deal, and maybe they do anyway, But if we don't think or they don't think that in the next two weeks or a month that they're going to have their group back, or at least part of it that's in there, then you better get the dealing and you better get out all your cards and answer every call.
Speaker 2: So that's it.
Speaker 9: And I don't believe either that Painia or from the way that the chatter Myers Paanya, Jordan Alvarez, I mean not Alvarez, but Javier and Garcia. Just to I'll just use those five for example. I don't think you're going to see any of them before July first, now July second. I not July first, but August first. I wouldn't have any any idea. But if you know more than we do about that, which they should and probably do. And you see how big If the big chatter and you start to hear rumors about big deals, that will tell you all you need to know about the health of this team moving forward.
Speaker 1: You've heard the man.
Speaker 8: He's calling for you seven one three two one two five seven ninety will continue this conversation.
Speaker 1: Also, what about the.
Speaker 8: Teams that are chasing the astros got to wonder what their aggressive nature is going to be at the trade deadline.
Speaker 1: We will talk about it right here.
Speaker 8: It is Sean Salisbury show on a Thursday Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: More Sean Salisbury, get in, strap in and write in.
Speaker 8: Where he said, this is the most openest open that I think you know you can have with the gray out there.
Speaker 1: You got a little bit of a mist going.
Speaker 8: It's chili all of those things like when you think of you know, you know, English, Scottish, Irish golf over there.
Speaker 1: This is what you think of.
Speaker 2: Boy, it's supposed to look.
Speaker 9: It's the truest test and you know when you're talking about northern it's Northern Ireland. You get the sidebar of the Shane Lowry and Roy McElroy where they're from. Hell about within about twenty miles is where they filmed Game of Thrones right right, not far from there maybe is. Even though no holes are read, you know, you're not gonna hit the balls in the water at this one like you may at Pebble Beach. The views are about as beautiful as you'll get from any of those links type courses in that part of the country. So it's awesome and it is a true test. And at some point in time all this weather's gonna stop, meaning the rain, and then maybe a wind will kick up, maybe you'll get some sun. You'll take the rain gear off and then an hour later you may have to put it back on. And then the greens pretty soft over there anyway, and then now it rains, so they're gonna be softer. So instead of in the US there most of them are pretty fast for the most part, here they're slow. Now they're slower. So when you play downhill you got to be wiser, you don't, you know, run it twenty feet by And now when it's slower and you're not running as true as you want. You're gonna have to wrap a few of them and you may push a few. By the test is all over the place. These huge If you hit in the bunker on a par four part five, one of those big bunkers in a fair way, you got problems. You've got some serious issues. So it's real simple. Hit greens with your irons, keep the ball into short grass and give yourself a chance. But you're gonna be putting on slow greens. But this is the test, and it does. It's the open, the openest of the opens, because of the just the attire they're wearing, all the apparel, the win. The fans are not going to leave if a rant. They don't care. That is, they'll walk through this for seventy days in a row if they have to watch good golf, so I can't wait. They'll be frustration, they'll be happy moments. This is the way golf is, and it's intriguing because you're not getting a seventy five eighty five degree day where every ball you hit is three forty. You know you're gonna have to change your game. And if you're not, like I said, creative. This course isn't for you period. Neither is playing over there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this is the type of weather that makes me want to gain us and maybe some bangers and mash.
Speaker 9: You know, I would imagine a lot of that's now, but a lot of a lot of that's gonna be pouring. And the defending champ obviously in the British Opens, Xander Schaffley, has not had a good year yet, you know, he's we we have our expectations so high for these guys, and yet he was a monster last year with a couple of majors. So anxious to see how he plays defending his championship and this is this is awesome and you're gonna see guys roll when it's not raining.
Speaker 2: Now it'll be a little different today.
Speaker 9: You may not have a five iron that you want to roll in there because you're not going to get the same rollout. So now if you're in close obviously now you can hit high irons even if there's wind. It may be but an eight iron now may be a six iron and a nine iron, maybe a seven iron for these guys, and you just got to be smart. And the best iron player this week will be on the final page of the leaderboard if not near the top three when it's all said and done this week, if you're hitting greens with your irons, even if you and maybe you got to be cognizant too, that hitting stinger three woods off the tee. If you hit it two ninety with a three wood and the goal is to keep in the middle of the fairway, you're not spraying your driver hit a three wood or hit an iron off at a driving iron. So these guys are smarter than I am at it, and they know. But this isn't a course that you can sit there and flex your muscles and say I'm going to hit it farther than everybody else as it goes through the fairway and now you're taking double bogie because you're just off the t box there. And the big mistakes are like Lee Westwood right here on a par three, hits the ball down into the rough with an iron in his hand. An iron hits it, and they got some long par threes over there as well as a two hundred and forty five yard par three. It's going to be tough. So if you're missing short irons into the green, you're not gonna you're You're in, You're You're in real treate. It's gonna be a long day in Lee Westwoods at minus three. Now keep doing that and you want. It's only one hundred and seventy two yards and both guys off the tee are in deep, deep crap. Jordan just went in there as well. So as I'm watching on TV, that's the type of week it's going to be and there'll be a lot of mishots, but there'll be some spectacular ones as well, and I can't wait to see out unfolds.
Speaker 8: It's also funny to see some of the looks on their faces after shots, like those are looks at me and you have.
Speaker 2: Right, oh, there's no doubt.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like like why why did it just do that? Like you know that that's not supposed to do that.
Speaker 9: And these are pros right and say that the test And I just think about it, when you decided to get on a private plane to fly over in Northern Ireland, you you just know, Okay, I'm geared up for there's gonna be some moments when I want to erupt and go and I'm out of my damn mind with how difficult the golf course is and how creative you got to be. But there'll be those moments when you walk off this one. The majority of these guys will tell you that not only the Test, but how how how much winning the British Open, the Open means to them because it's where golf started over in the other side of the pond. So and these guys are the Europeans are really creative with this stuff, and they're some of these guys, like the Keepka's and the rams, are going to have to match it. But being the strongest guy in the group that can hit at the farthest isn't going to be uh, your number one trait this week. You better be hitting fairways off the tee and being able to throw irons in there all over the place.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it.
Speaker 8: Let's continue the Astros conversation seven, one, three, two, five seven ninety Billy, see you right there, see a few more open spots for it if you want to get in on Yourn, the pitching and just the second half of the season in general.
Speaker 1: As we'll continue.
Speaker 8: Here on the Sean Salisbury Show on a Thursday, Sports Talk seven to ninety KD E.
Speaker 10: Houston KT DZHD two Houston, an Iharn radio station.
Speaker 11: Thankay is Sports Talk seven ninety your home for your home teams from the Parsons, Imagine Next studios, say.
Speaker 5: House, Okay, let's do this. Sewn Salisbury.
Speaker 4: Salisbury to usc trop longtime friend Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 5: Dan Matthew, excuse, this is the Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 8: And the Open Championship at Royal Port, Rush over in Northern Ireland. A couple of times for the lead at the top, Jacob Scold, Olison and Howtong lead both at four under with plenty of golfers still out there playing.
Speaker 1: But we're talking ashtros right now.
Speaker 8: SEB one three two one two five seven ninety is the number to get in on the phone lines. And Billy gonna lead us off this morning.
Speaker 1: Billy, good morning, Hey, good morning. Uh yeah.
Speaker 12: I've worked a little bit in oil and gasp and got to play golf in Scotland. And I'll just say this about playing golf in Scotland. It's a beautiful country.
Speaker 7: That's it.
Speaker 12: Golf is so hard over there, and it's it's so different and I'm enjoying watching the Open. But anyway, Astros, Dan, you and I have talked on X a little bit about this, and I think we're on the same page. Yes, pitching, You're not gonna win the postseason without pitching, but I think it comes their decision. Is gonna come down to the next four days. Today with the decision on your's hand, where is he at and the next three games. If the Astros go into Seattle and get swept, they have to seriously consider if your Gun's not going to be back. They have to seriously consider if this season to watch. And I know that's heresy and I know Astros fans don't want to hear that, but think about what Detroit did last year. They traded Flaherty at the trade deadline.
Speaker 7: They got some pieces back.
Speaker 12: The injury is still out on those pieces, but they got something back and they still made the postseason. Obviously we know the results of that. We might have to look at a Fromber deal and this season may be a watch. I know Astros fans don't want to hear that, but they've got to be serious with themselves about is this season just an anomaly where the beginning of it was how wow, how did that happen? Or are we that good? Are the injuries just too much to sustain. I would love to say, no, it's who we are. Make trades. Let's make a run of the world series. That's what I want to say. But the reality of it is is you've got to be real with yourself and you going to Seattle get swept. You come out of that two games up in the division, you got some difficult decisions to make.
Speaker 1: And I don't envy Dana Brown at all.
Speaker 12: I do trust him, but they may have to make some trades that the Astros fans aren't gonna be happy about. And am I looking forward to that. No, But that's just the reality of it. And I'll say this to end the conversation. Say that on Twitter, on Astros Twitter, and you will be destroyed because that's.
Speaker 1: What's happening to me right now.
Speaker 5: Thanks, guys, I have a great morning.
Speaker 8: I appreciate it, Billy, I mean, Sean, I don't envision that being the case, but I will say this. I mean about you know, trying to be aggressive, as you mentioned earlier, and I mean, you know, the Rangers are not going to stand pat They're going to make moves. Because they came in here this weekend, they took two out of three from you, and now they're eight and a.
Speaker 1: Half games back of you.
Speaker 8: And the Astros proved it last year that with plenty of baseball left to be played, doesn't really mean much. I mean, that's that's one good week. I was talking with a good buddy of mine who's a Rangers fan, and he's telling me, dude, the divisions of the Astros. I said, no, dude, I said, you have one good week and the Astros have what they just had last week. You're four and a half five games back, and then you have another decent enough series, you're two games back. I mean, you get my point in here. That can falter pretty quickly. And oh, by the way, the Mariners are just in front of them, two five games back, so same goes for them. Both of those teams are going to be aggressive.
Speaker 9: Well, if they are, why why wouldn't the Astros. I mean, if we're, if you're, if you're unequivocally saying they're going to be aggressive, then what would be the Astros excuse?
Speaker 2: Well, we're good.
Speaker 9: Listen, when you take a look at the Astros roster, that's healthy right now, and let's just face it like we see it. I'm talking about what you've see now that you're running out there. I'm not saying not good players, but overall across the baseball most aren't going to say they can sustain this.
Speaker 2: They're just not.
Speaker 9: I mean, I hope we're wrong and it may be one of those years. But when you look at their roster today, of counting the injuries that are out, you're not looking at it and saying this is the best roster in this division. You're just not. Now when they're healthy, it's a different conversation. The question is how long. So if the Rangers and Mariners are going in, why in the hell wouldn't Why in the hell wouldn't the Astros. The simple question is this, and this is the only thing that needs answer. Do you believe that your World Series team?
Speaker 2: As we do? You believe that this is a World Series?
Speaker 5: He?
Speaker 9: Not you, but Dana Brown, Jim Crane, Joe spot In that front office and that team. If I asked the question and put on a light detector, do you think you're a World Series team? And if the answer is yes, and it's yes with their guys injured, you have no choice but to make a deal.
Speaker 2: None.
Speaker 9: Now, if you all of a sudden think, oh, we got swept, as you know, Billy was saying, we got swept and in Seattle. Now it's down to a couple games, and you think, man, I know that we're banged up and we're just not going to be able to that.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be hard. Let's make a move.
Speaker 9: Then then you do have to consider, as much I hate to say it, if you know you're not going to pay him, is what I'm saying. If you know he's going to be priced out because he's really good, and he's a left hander, and he's a workhorse, and he's capable of throwing a one hitter every time out in fromber Valdez. If you are not, if you're not all in this year for a World Series run, we face the same question with a different position. Last year, we have the question posed regularly going into the All Star break? Would you trade Bregman because he's gonna end up leaving anyway for more money, would you trade him?
Speaker 2: At the All Star break?
Speaker 9: Are you all in to say, let's run it back, see what happens, and then we'll just take our chances. And that's what they did, and unfortunately they ran into pitching against Detroit got swept season over, Bregman gone. So for the if you're looking at the future, if you think you're a World Series team, you do not trade Fromber and you roll with it and you try to make a deal somewhere. You may have to give up assets or give up somebody you don't want to. But if you think you're a World Series team, you owe it to everybody to make a World Series decision.
Speaker 2: At the deadline.
Speaker 9: If you don't think you're a World Series team, you have to at least float out there. If you know that the price is going to be too steep for you, which it's gonna be steep. If Fromber just does what he does the rest of the year, he's gonna come back, it's gonna be steep. And if he wants a four or five year deal as a pitcher for a lot of money, then history says he may not pay it. So you got to decide two things, world Series team, can we pay Fromber? If you're not a World Series team, you have to at least entertain, not give him away. You got to entertain. And the backside saying, well, on the back burner, let's say it goes well, and we win the Division and World World Saies type team, which means he will have pitched like a cy young guy. If they're gonna go there, he and Hunter Brown have to pitch that way in the second half like they did most of the time in the first half. And if you think that he's a cy young guy and you can't and you're not all in for the World Series because you're banged up, you're not healthy, then you have to at least say what can we get to move forward because and that'll tell you everything you need to know about how they feel about their team.
Speaker 2: Now. I don't anticipate from is gonna.
Speaker 9: Be gone because I think they think they're a World Series team and they're gonna be optimistic about their health and getting back. I think that's a long shot. But if you don't believe that you're going to be fully healthy the rest of the year, and you do not believe that you're a World Series team, you have to take those calls on him because history tells us you're not going to pay the kind of money a left handed starter who can be dominant and dynamic that you're getting precise that you're going to just you're gonna sign him. If you know you're all in on Fromber, I'm going to sign him. Then then this is a moot point, regardless if you're a playoff team or a World Series team or not. But it's not just if you're a playoff team. You got if if this is it and you don't make you got to know you're a world serious team before one of two things. You trade him or at least you entertain it. If you think you are Fromber, doesn't go anywhere, and we're gonna find out in the next two weeks how they feel about the team. I think he's going to be pitching in a second a half. I don't think they're gonna get swept too series in a row, and then it comes down to health and how quickly can you get people back. But you do have to make some kind of deal. A wow factor deal would be moving Fromber. But that will also tell you we are not intended, we're not intending to sign him, and we are not a World Series team in twin That's what you'll know in the next two weeks.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, I think it's also you got to fake it till you make it. For two fronts the fans and also for your team. I mean, remember I've brought this example up before twenty seventeen when they stood pat at the trade deadline and Dallas Kaikol was in the clubhouse saying.
Speaker 1: What are we doing?
Speaker 8: Like this team is in position to be able to make a run, and that got to Jeff Luno, and Jeff Luno said, all right, we'll find at the waiver trade deadline.
Speaker 1: We'll give you guys justin Verlander. You won the World Series because you made that trade.
Speaker 8: So I mean I think that you're you fully believe and you said the group of Dana, Jim Crane, Joe Espada, they believe that they're a World Series team, especially with they're pitching.
Speaker 9: Well, you're gonna find out. You're gonna find out now play aft. You're gonna find out in the next couple weeks. If they think they're World Series team, you'll know. You'll know based on movement. If we don't have movement here and you keep your big dogs and go, then then they'll know we're all in. And I think they're all in because we're all anticipating get some time point. They're gonna get healthy. They are, And one thing you said, well, you got to you gotta fool the fans and your team. Nah, I'll tell you who you can't fool is the guys in the clubhouse. You ain't fooling them. They know exactly who they are, They know exactly what they need, They know exactly who can and can't sustain it, no matter what they tell you in public. Behind scenes, they know where their depth problems are and they know where the weaknesses are just as well as they know where the strengths are. So you may be able to fool me and you were a fan, but you ain't fooling You're not feeling fooling the guys in the clubhouse. I've never been on a team where we didn't know before the front office knew. You already know who can sustain it, who's living on the edge, meaning this guy is overachieved, this guy's been an underachiever, but he'll come around. Don't think they don't know about Jordan, how long it's going to take in a club. But they stay away from the injury talk because that's not their job. But you ain't fooling anybody in the clubhouse.
Speaker 1: If you do.
Speaker 9: That person's really dumb. Okay in the clay. If you're fooling them on what your team needs, he ain't paying attention, meaning a player. You're not fooling the players. You may be able to full LUs, but you're not fooling the players. You're gonna know if they think they're a world serious team before before August first, you just are Fromber stays. They don't make a big deal, but they enhance their roster a little bit. That'll tell you we believe we're getting healthy and I'm not partnering with them. And maybe it also tells you that maybe we are in the Fromber sweep stakes next year, no matter what the price is. That's what you gotta find out. And it's amazing how quickly July first will be here past the deadline of August first, pass the July thirty first deadline, but you'll you'll get a pretty good picture. But you ain't fooling the dudes in the clubhouse, because the second you try to fool them, then they lose trust.
Speaker 2: You're not fooling them.
Speaker 9: And if they stay five games in front in the next two weeks, they're not trading their starting pitcher. They believe they're gonna go win it be all in hell, they'll start thinking like they're there gonna get the best, you know, best record, even though Detroit's gonna be tough to chase. So I don't think that's gonna happen. But all things got to be in play. But all of it's gonna also stem from how healthy are we gonna be when September and October roll around? Able to get there in that far?
Speaker 1: That's the biggest key.
Speaker 8: And you gotta start getting some of those guys back here sooner rather than later. We can continue the Astros conversation as the show goes along. Seven one three, two one two five seven ninety is the number to get in. But also Sean invites especially two important events we'll discuss right here. It is the Sean Salisbury Show on a Thursday Sports Talk seven to ninety.
Speaker 12: Now back to Sean Salisbury.
Speaker 5: All right, Sean, what are you hearing out there now? The Salisbury's takeout, Salisbury takeout on the Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 1: Stake out.
Speaker 8: We do it time every single day on the Sean Salisbury Show. Astros and Mariner is going to restart the season tomorrow night in Seattle. The Open championship at Royal Port Rush, a couple of guys at the top of the leaderboard at Jacobscove, Olisony and Hal tong Lee, both at or under. So sean wedding invites been invited to him. You've had your own, You've invited people to it. I mean, you know, it's kind of the part of life.
Speaker 1: We all go through it.
Speaker 8: But I go to barstool Sports and Nicky smokes stop inviting me to your wedding, And in parentheses, he writes, unless I know your middle name, And I feel that so much, because while I do appreciate that you want me part of your special day, if we're not really friends, why are you inviting me to your wedding? Like I feel like that's one of those that it's a very sacred day. So you want, of course, immediate family there, the extended family, at least the ones you like, you want them there. You want some friends, of course, if you're going to do the whole wedding party of you know, groomsmen and bridesmaids, then yeah, you know you I want to go I don't know, four or five deep right there with your matron of honor and also you your.
Speaker 1: Best man, all of those things.
Speaker 8: But this also means that's a lot of money, that's a lot of time, that's a lot of Oh hey, this person's vegan, Oh hey, that person's a pescatarian, any of those things, which let's be honest here, if you're any of those things, you're probably not getting the invite.
Speaker 1: But it's just things like this.
Speaker 8: For anybody that's been through this process, you feel that in your bones. Whenever what the conversation of wedding invites comes up.
Speaker 9: I couldn't disagree more. I mean I don't. I'm not a big, big wedding person. I prefer a little more intimate setting if I was going to one or that. But it's their money. They can spend it how they want. I'm not you know, they can do whatever they want. They earned it, they spend it, and they want to make it. And you've got to deal, you know, with not only your family, but somebody else family.
Speaker 2: Two things. One is is the food.
Speaker 9: If somebody's a I'm not worried now, somebody's gonna die if they eat have atto, don't eat avocado. Okay, I'm not catering a four hundred person wedding If that's what you're into, because I don't know the eating habits of eight people. I'm putting on the day we want, and they'll always have a little vegetarian or gluten free dish. But I'm not catering seventeen different meals. It's my wedding, not there. It's if they fail, well, I can't show up and eat them pack of frigging peanut butter and jelly sandwich. There's got to be something you can eat it though. If I'm inviting four hundred people, it's probably an expensive wedding, and I'm not catering four hundred different meals. So you can have your sushi instead of steak. If you're allergic to red meat, then I suggest that you load up a roll, put some butter on it, and have something else. Now, if it's just one person, the mother in law, and she'd like then of course you make it special for them. I'm not changing the menu for seventeen people I invited you. Well, I can't eat that. Oh what a bummer. Hopefully you'll eat beforehand and come grab yourself a drink. I ain't catering it to that. It's not their wedding. They're invited love you to come, and I'll make it. But I'm not sifting through four hundred people and asking them, Hey, what do you like?
Speaker 2: What are you allergic to?
Speaker 9: If somebody says, you know what, I'm allergic to this, I won't be able to eat.
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 9: We'll give you a dish, or we'll make you a burger in the back of the We'll cook you a burger and bring it in a tenfoil.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 9: Nah, and I cater and just said, it's not their wedding. They're coming there. They'll just have to adjust. I'm not going to make my fiance adjust well and let them worry about, well, what if this person? You cater to a small group, but this is our wedding. Hopefully there'll be enough food there that everybody in most of the time. Then if you're vegetarian, eat the salad. That's okay. I'm not worried about that. I got too much to worry about if I'm planning a wedding. Secondly, I can guarant ask to you. If I say, give me your tie, I'll put receipts on you. I guarantee you you don't know your five best friends, middle name I guarant asked to it. If you do, show me the receipts and post it right now. Tell me right now which Okay, who's the best man in your wedding when you have it? Do you have to you know who you're Brokay?
Speaker 1: Who's who? Who's middle name? Okay?
Speaker 9: Well, of course, okay, give me give me a give me one of your friend's names that may be invited as a as a as a grimsman.
Speaker 2: Not they fail? What's that?
Speaker 1: I already fail?
Speaker 9: They okay, so so so so remember, Well, there you go.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter. You don't know.
Speaker 9: You think I'm gonna search my best friend, my five best friends in the world right now outside of my you know, my sons or my brothers, my five best friends in the world. I have zero idea what their middle name is. And they don't know that. They think my first name Sean. I'm Richard Sean, so Sean is my middle name. So whatever that bar whoever put that there, No, I don't know who that is. But I can tell you this that that that is. That's nothing but hyperbolic. Let me get clicks and so I can get into debate. There's most ninety eight percent of the people in this world have zero idea what their top ten friends middle names are. I'm sitting here trying to think, Okay, Matt, my best buddy, Joe, my teammates. I'm going through my teammates or people that would be invited if I was getting married. Again, you don't know their middle name. So that's hogwash, that's that's nothing but clickbait crap. There's no way and you don't know it, and you're saying, yep, I can read into that.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 9: You can't tell me the middle name of anybody but your brother. So you not invite any of your friends and don't invite them. So if somebody doesn't know my middle name, yeah, don't invite me. I'm not quit invite me. I'm not going to your wedding because you know my middle name. Awfully presumptuous to you. I don't give a rats ass what's your middle name? I don't know your middle name, and you sit across from me four hours a day. I have no idea and I don't care what your middle name is. Okay, so to me. But if you just said, well, yeah, okay, so are you gonna base your guest list when you get married, on whose middle names that's setting up in your who you're gonna invite.
Speaker 8: Oh, we've already determined it's immediate family and maybe a couple of extended we're making it very small, right, that's very recent.
Speaker 9: So do the women don't know their best friend's middle Maybe they know a little it more because they they they I mean, women talk to their best friends like fourteen times a day, where a guy can talk to his best friend once once every three months, and then nothing changes for us, where it's like we talked yesterday.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of the way it works.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 9: Nah that that's nothing more than a hyperbolic statement by them. There is no damn way. Most people in this world did get married the guy standing next to him. They don't even know their middle name. Hell, if they're drunk enough, they may forget the first name. Most people call somebody by hey, buddy, how you doing, dude, because they don't even know their first name. Okay, so half the people at the wedding, three koy. If it's a big wedding, you don't even Oh yeah, oh man, that was one of my free Yeah we invited him. Oh yeah, that's Steve what's Steve's middle I don't know. There's no there's no way, so that that to me is is cra It's just nothing. Don't invite me, and then they're pissed off and they didn't invite. Oh, sorry, dude, I didn't know your middle name, so I left you out. Okay, So if you're going to be a groomsman in my wedding and I don't know my best my buddy he's middle name, man, Sorry, dude, I could invite you. I don't know your middle name, You're gonna have an empty wedding. That church will be empty all the way around. So nah, I had to call you on a brother. If you're gonna tell me, yeah, you can feel that. Yeah, you don't know your best man's middle name outside your brother. You don't feel squat when it comes to that. And you and I both know it because you don't know, and you're not gonna You're not gonna study their middle names either, because you don't give a fuzzy rats ass, and neither do I.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, I just I just know that there's a lot of anxiety that comes with it, and you know the day is supposed to be a special day.
Speaker 1: Which it is. I mean, you know, it's just anything worth doing takes a lot of hard work.
Speaker 5: Back.
Speaker 9: Family and close friends ruined weddings more than other people do. I don't need to know their middle name to have them ruined or not ruin my wedding. The drunk food is doing the moon walking on the floor and falls over and blows out his knee, that's on him. Hey man, sorry, I shouldn't have invited. I didn't know your middle name. No, no, matter of fact. If I invited three hundred people, two hundred and ninety nine of them, I wouldn't know their middle name other than the brothers of mine. They're setting up there. I'm saying here, thinking if the groomsman i'd invite boom boom, boom boom. I don't know any of their middle name outside my family, none of them. My best friend for forty years, I don't know what his middle name is, the kid I grew up with. There was my little league, best friend that we've been that. He was one of my first best friends forever, lives in Arizona. We've known each other. Well, let's see fifty years. If you asked me, if I stayed that we stayed at each other's house growing up, like you, like we were brothers and we're damn near are. I have zero idea what his middle name initial is nah Man, and most people would have no idea that my middle name sean. Well, what's your first name? Well, don't you know you invited me to your wedding?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 9: No, that that makes for good banter and hyperbolic and he he's not turning down weddings as somebody doesn't know his middle name, and you and I both know and I don't even know who you're talking about.
Speaker 2: I don't even know who the dude is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he just wanted to He's another one of the faces there at are so.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, gotcha.
Speaker 9: Maybe I think I've heard the name, but I wouldn't know if he walked in the room what his face look like.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: I just, you know, kind of buried the lead here. Who the hell is allergic to red meat?
Speaker 2: That's why I don't know.
Speaker 9: No, No, the lead is that somebody's not inviting somebody because they don't they don't want to get invited because you don't know my middle name. Hell, family members, I said, you have to think I don't even know my cousin. My mom's sister's daughter, I don't know. I don't know her middle name. I don't know any of my cousin's middle names. I have people I grew up with. I don't know any school teachers' middle names. I don't know free And matter of fact, of a thousand friends you have in the world, the nine hundred ninety nine of them, I wouldn't be able to tell you their middle name. Hell, half the time, I don't remember my first name. So and I got a good memory. So now the lead. I don't know who's allergic to red meat, but I would imagine vegetarians feel like they are so whatever allergic or don't eat it. So and I'm not catering my menu to five people when there's four hundred people there. That's on them. They can find something to eat with all the money you spent, and that takes away. If I got to think about that, that just adds anxiety and stress. This is supposed to be a stress for event and go once the menu set, either show up and eat it or sit your ass through drive through. What a burger that's your deal? That's not a meat that's not a meat problem.
Speaker 8: It's actually not a bad idea for the other one, because I think they have a food truck.
Speaker 9: Great, you have five menus on there and something on there. You can eat that for everybody. There'll be enough at a wedding for every shrimp cocktail. Here, you get a little food, just finger foods here, a salad here, big old prime. Whatever it is to sit down dinner I can make now. I for one, the mother in law is really really allergic to eighty seven foods, and she'll pass out and look like, you know, like Martin Short and in one of those Pure Luck or whatever the movie is. Okay, I'm gonna make sure you don't die sitting at the head table, right. But if you're the two hundredth person on the list and you can't eat steak, well, I sure as hell hope you can eat salad or vegetables because that's what you're gonna get. Thank you, and have yourself a drink and take two weeks off and don't come to the next one.
Speaker 8: So there you go. I'm not worried about that. I'll eat theirs for them. We'll go ahead and take care of that. But that is the stake out here on a Thursday. Let's get back into the Astros conversation.
Speaker 1: But before we.
Speaker 8: Do that, I do have to call cap on, a good buddy of somebody here on the show, and we will hear that.
Speaker 1: And talk about it next.
Speaker 8: Right here, it is a Sean Salisbury show on a Thursday, Sports Talk seven to ninety.
Speaker 9: Country Boys Roofing, you need help with those navigation of those insurance claims.
Speaker 2: They'll do it.
Speaker 9: No job too big or too small anywhere in Houston. All those things. Country Boys will be there for you. Also, be aware scams right now storm season, not only the scam of gouging you and charging you more than they should, but of being false and taking your money asking for it and upfront and then boom disappearing. And Country Boys Roofing wants you just to be aware, regardless of who you decide, to make sure you're doing your due diligence. You don't need to get ripped off, especially the time when storms are going to hit. You're going to need your roof fixed or your roof needs fixed now, and somebody are gonna try to Oki Dookia, not Country Boys Roofing. It's a country with the Cave Boys with a Z one five hundred dollars discount on the full roof if you're a military first responder or educator, and if you're not, one thousand dollars discount on the full roof. When you mentioned my name, all that is because well, Country Boy's Roofing cares. They're transparent, they are family owned, they are locally owned and operated, and people that have used them have sent me pictures and said, you know what, this is the quality work they do, cleaned up after perfect job. That's who John is loyal, trusted and also warning you about scams that may go on. And if you want it done right for the right price and the right discount, not gouging, it's Country Boys Roofing. Country with the K Boys with the Z proud member of the Better Business Bureau, Proud new member of the Better Business Bureau, and you know Atlas and certaintyed certified, and they will take care of you the way that you need take care of at the right price, with the right discount, without gouging you. Country with the K Boys with ZA Countryboysroofing dot Com.
Speaker 8: The seven o'clock hour, seven ninety listener line is presented by one eight hundred car.
Speaker 9: Cash love him and think he's a great play caller and football coach, and hope he puts a ring on his finger as a head coach. Friend of sure, anybody who comes on, I guess once they're on, you automatically fall into the category of a friend of the show, and it won't be the last time he's on, So that's fair. I would just say somebody we like and think is really good and is a guest once in a while, So yeah, a friend of the show works.
Speaker 1: Okay, there you go. If he's a friend of yours, he's a friend of ours.
Speaker 8: So we'll hear from Steve Sarkisian, who had an interesting comment in the press conference room behind us here in Atlanta at SEC Media Days. That really kind of has some people doing like that sideways dog. Look, you know if kind of like really man like you're gonna try to say that and go with that. But we'll have that for you here as the show continues. But John and Richmond wants to weigh in on what we were just talking about.
Speaker 13: John, good morning, Yes, it was funny which all were talking about. Dan, are you familiar with SNL skip with Bill hater.
Speaker 14: What's the name?
Speaker 13: Now?
Speaker 1: I'm sure Gordy is. Gordy's a big SNL guy, but I am not.
Speaker 2: Oh man.
Speaker 13: They were like, could you name your husband your friend? For one hundred dollars? He was like, yeah, that's Bill. And then the next topic was for one hundred million dollars, could you name your wife's bridesmaid? Was He was so confused he didn't know her name for one hundred million dollars. Man, I just had to weigh in on the soThe Man. I love you guys. I listen to you guys every morning. I rarely get a chance to call in, but that topic was so funny, man, I had just to weigh in on you guys.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah now, and that's a great point, John. Thanks.
Speaker 9: If you don't know the maid of honor, then now we got to check you at least now. I may not know the first name of the fourth person down the roads, if she's a friend or somebody she grew up. May forget that. The seventh out of eight uh you know, uh? What do they call the uh not made of honor? What do they call? We call them bride'smaids? The seventh of the eighth bridemaid down there is like oh, yeah, well, especially if you've had a drink or to oh you mean Stephanie, yeah or whatever it is okay, but yeah, but if you don't know the Maid of honors her name, I may not know their last name, but I would like to hope that I know all of their first names, if not, study them, because you may have to reference of hey, oh grateful and so and so and so and so. But if you don't know the maid of honors name for free, then you got a problem. If you don't know the maid of honors name for a hundred million, then just start guessing. Man, go back in time, say, okay, man, who's the name she mentioned most of the time. Yeah, you got to know that, not her middle name, but her first name for one hundred mil. I'll crawl ten miles over broken glass for that. But yeah, now you got to know her name. But the middle that's a great point. But the middle name, I don't. I won't even know my best man if it's outside the family. I don't know their middle name. Maybe I should ask, but I have zero idea any of my top ten best friends middle names, and I probably never will.
Speaker 8: Oh I mean, I would already start planning on being custom made. Had to tone like Rick Flair, because I'd be worth a hundred million dollars.
Speaker 1: I know I'm Megan's bridesmaid.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm gonna know the bridesmaid's first name, not just the bridesmaid, but the maid of honor, no doubt. Middle names, Nah, don't care either. If that's how they're getting invited, then it'll be a two person wedding.
Speaker 2: I can tell you that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But it is also though too.
Speaker 8: I mean you're you're talking about because I mean I've been to those weddings where you have the wedding parties of both groomsmen and bridesmaids are like seven or eight deep, and it's just like that's too many people. Stand it up there, man, four or five? I think four or five is is a good number.
Speaker 1: Now for you.
Speaker 2: What if what if somebody what if somebody wants ten? What if you know you can't.
Speaker 8: Have running You're allowed to do whatever you want. We're just saying that it's crowded up there.
Speaker 2: Sure it is crowded.
Speaker 9: Sure, but if you have a big church, and I'm with you, but if they've got ten girlfriends, they don't want to hurt any feelings.
Speaker 1: See that.
Speaker 9: That's why if you're in between, just get the best man and a maid of honor and let the rest of them sit in the stands and don't have one or sitting out the audience or whatever it has in the congregation. So but yeah, man, I mean some people like big ones. I mean that's up to them. Where it spans the globe. When they're doing it right, they can do whatever they want. But for me, yeah, probably a little big. But I got hell, I got you know, a handful of buddies that I would if I if I was doing it that way, that I would. Yeah, but you know the people who have fifteen and I'm sure not going to say, well, three of my buddies are coming and you got fifteen bridesmaids. Well now I got to go in and start matching them up. So it's an even thing across the board. So yeah, sometimes less is more. But for some, the bigger, the bigger, the gaudier, the more oh my gosh, we got all see the more people that just to me, the more trust, the more headache it is. That's just it's just my opinion. We'll have a big party afterwards. You can all come, nobody has to worry about anything, put on your jeans or your shorts, and drink tequila and have a blast. But yeah, it's something, you know what. For some it's everything, the one time and the pomp and circumstance. I don't have a problem with it. I've been to Catholic weddings that take three hours. Now, I've been to weddings that take eight minutes. I kind of like the eight minute one, but it's their moment, so I'm just gonna enjoy it either way. But yeah, fifteen people standing up there, and fifteen of them I won't know their middle name unless it's unless it's one of my kids or by a brother of mine, meaning my family.
Speaker 8: Hey, the reception open bar, beer and wine, beer and wine, cash bar.
Speaker 1: Oh I can't make it. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: My philosophy is this, when I invite people, I'm giving. If I'm inviting you, there's going to be more than beer. That's just me and people can do it. Have as small as you want, and if you know, I'm not telling them how to do it. But if I'm inviting you, I'm probably not making you pay cash.
Speaker 2: You come there and enjoy. It's on me.
Speaker 9: It's the moment we spend all this money. Yeah, and if you don't want to do it that way, put all that money towards the down payment on a house, have a little party, get the way to go over with and enjoy yourself. I've got a lot of suggestions, but I'm not gonna te anybody how to live it. But I ain't having it. If I'm getting married, i ain't having a five hundred person wedding. It's not Plus if they do, it'll be a short lived because I'm only not short lived marriage. But we're out of this by the time it starts and done. You can look at your clock. You will not be twenty minutes, fifteen minutes, may be you'll be done and we'll be partying. That's the whole thing. The reception of the party. They get through a few things, thank you, love you, boom, let's go. But some people like the long drawn out process and that's them. And if they invite me, I'll show up if I possibly can. But if they don't, then good luck to them, and I'll buy you a drink after no big deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no hard feelings.
Speaker 8: That's that's what we always try to go through life, not to making sure that you're wrong people or yourself are wrong. So those are things we try to live by. Someone three two on two five seven ninety is the number to get in again? Someone three two one two five seven ninety. Steve Sarkisian, what did he say that got people wondering it?
Speaker 1: Dude? Seriously, we'll talk about it right here.
Speaker 8: It is Sean Salisbury Show on a Thursday, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: Let the celebration start more Sean Salisbury on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 8: As we've been talking college football all throughout the week and really all throughout this offseason, name image and likeness has come up quite a bit, and a lot of people point to Texas as being a school that is one of the ones who are the most aggressive when it comes to name, image and likeness. So Steve Sarkisian was in the main press conference room a couple of days ago and he was he was asked about name, image and likeness and how is he how he used it in recruiting, and this is what he said, is their attact when it comes to addressing it with said recruits.
Speaker 15: I think sometimes quite frankly, I think it hurts us a little bit in recruiting and the fact that when kids come on our campus, one of the first things we do we don't talk about NIL. We don't talk about NIL or revenue sharing or publicity rights until the very end. And that may hurt us on some kids. But if a kid is coming to Texas for that reason, we don't want them anyway.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 15: We want kids that want to be at the University of Texas because of the school, the coaches, the team, the culture, all those things.
Speaker 16: That go into it.
Speaker 15: And oh, by the way, you can get publicity rights or revenue share, so on and so forth.
Speaker 8: All right, So Sean, in fairness, he didn't say they don't talk about it.
Speaker 1: He just said they don't lead with it.
Speaker 8: But immediately after those comments came out, people started to jump on and go on Twitter and post the videos and pictures of the Lamborghinis on the sidelines there at Darryl K. Royal Memorial Stadium to kind of be like, oh, sure, coach, you don't talk about it, do you.
Speaker 9: Well, who's got as big a collective slash nil wallet as there is in college.
Speaker 2: Football Ohio State?
Speaker 9: But I say as big to Texas is as big as anybody's make it. Put it this way, when you're with the collective, and you know there's some great people running collectives in University of Texas has some great people involved and some people that care about the University Texas. If they ain't first, they ain't fifth. As far as the resources they have, let's put it at resources. They have to pay whatever they want and however they decide they want to do it. It's not going to be because a lack of money. Let's put it that way. So I understand what Starks saying. He said, we don't approach to a last I understand that philosophy. You're trying to get the kid to buy into the program that you're not just eliminating the ability to recruit.
Speaker 2: I was saying this yesterday.
Speaker 9: What Nil has done, it's taken away on another show I do it is taking this away a great recruiters, like a Kirby Smart, like a Nick Saban, like an ed Orgeron when he was there, great recruiter, whether he's a head coach or an assistant, great recruiter. But now it's no longer you're you're the fact that you can out recruit. While recruiting matters, you've got to be it's an ATM. Are you an investment bankers? It's not great recruiter. Now are you a great banker? If you're a great investment banker and you're a good ATM machine, that's that's far more than can you recruit, because if you walk in you're the best recruiter in the world. But you are, and you're we're talking about kids that are getting that are part of that are going to get paid. Everybody doesn't get paid, but the best recruits. If you walk in there and you're selling your program but there ain't money attached to it, you're gonna lose out to somebody that there is. Hence why a Texas tech team who wouldn't be considered a university, wouldn't be considered a top fifteen or twenty program before this money, although there's money there that is invested in ANIL.
Speaker 2: I love the program.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 9: They're they've turned it into a bit this model and they're kicking ass. They've got a good coach. There's good football players all over Texas and they're going to be a major player, which we've mentioned on the show before. So sarks right, I mean, you'd like to convince him, and he probably do. Wait till it's last, But make no mistake, Sometimes we save the best for last. And when you can parade people out and there's Lamborghinis or Porsches or Ferrari's hanging outside the complex, guess what, that's a good way to end the story.
Speaker 1: So you do that.
Speaker 9: So what it's done is like Coach o Oh used to be able to go in and recruit people. If Coach o now was going into recruit people, but came in there with an empty wallet and there's three teams going after a five star, you will lose out most of the time. Now, so this is leveled the field. It didn't make Saban the best recruiter in the world anymore, because well I may be the best recruiter, but I don't have the investment banker behind me to the ATM machine to back it up. And that's just the simple fact. So sarks right, who may may do it last, would make no mistake. If all things being equal, they can negotiate. They've got the resources to pay whatever they need to pay, if that's what it calls keeping up, whether they do or not it's on them. So yes, they do. But if you're not involved in it, you are getting how the rules. We may like the rules, but the rules say you're you can be involved in it and this nil stuff. If you're not, you will get left behind, simple, you just will until they regulate this. So yeah, there's a little bit of BS there, but he didn't say we don't do it. Hit us that we do it at the end. And sometimes that's a good clothe You gotta have a good closure. That's their Marianna Rivera and it's a good one and they're good at it, and rightfully so. But the great recruiters, now, the great equalizer kicked in and that's your ATM machine at a bank for your recruits. And that's just a simple fact. And so yeah, don't let Texas fool you when they talk about people that are in the top five or top ten and having that resource Texans is I mean, the University of Texas is near the top of the list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean you missioned at ATM.
Speaker 8: It is pretty big in Austin and adapt or die very much the way that college football is now.
Speaker 1: And Texas fully realizes that. So we can.
Speaker 8: Continue that conversation if you want someone three two one two five seven ninety against seOne three two one two five seven ninety. But to open up our three, just how aggressive could the Astros be? We might have an indication. We'll talk about it right here at the trade deadline as we continue here on the Shawn Salisbury Show on a Thursday, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 10: A Houston AD two Houston iHeart Radio station.
Speaker 11: And the Rocket Sports Talk seven ninety your home for your home teams.
Speaker 3: From the Parsons Imagine Next Studios.
Speaker 1: Saulsbury.
Speaker 5: Salisbury, Houston. Okay, let's do this. Sean Salisbury.
Speaker 4: To USC troupe, longtime friend showns Dan matthewsxcues.
Speaker 5: This is the Sean Sells Very Show, final.
Speaker 1: Day of the SEC media Days.
Speaker 8: The Aggie's going to make their way through here a little bit later on this afternoon, and the Astros in Mariners going to get back on the field tomorrow night to start the second half of the season. One of sixty six left to go this year, and the Open Championship happening over at Royal Port Rush and Jacob Scove Olison is tied with Hal tong Lee for the lead at four under but Sean, it is at that time of the year where the trade deadline is coming up, and of course, you know you start searching, you know, furiously for rumors out there. You know, who are the Astros connected to, who are they interested in? Who are you hearing that they're making calls on it. That's not what this is. It's cbssports dot Com breaking down their you know, just break down of the league of obvious buyers, probable buyers, somewhere in the middle, possible sellers and obvious sellers out there, and the Astros are part of the group that are the obvious buyers. And the piece here is written by Dan Perry of cbssports dot Com. Injuries and departures keep hitting Houston and they just keep contending. The break finds them with a hefty five game lead in the Al West, and that means by mode in particular, they'll be looking for a left handed bat, perhaps another starting pitcher. Given that the Astros basically full rotation is on the il, the promise of a ninth straight trip to the playoffs will guide their decisions, as it should, so, I mean they expect the Astros to be buyers. We expect the Astros to be buyers. It's just now a question of are they going to be able to meet the expectations that people are going to be looking for when Dana Brown continues to ramp up these phone calls.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and the expectations meet the expectations of the people. And I'm talking I'm not talking about me and you and the fans. I'm talking about the expectations of their club and the team they're trading with, of what they're looking for and what the opposing team's willing to give up. I would think that they're going to be buyers as well, unless, of course, in the next two weeks they think they're not a World Series type team. If you think you're a one and done team in the postseason, you may think different about assets you're going to give away. If they think they're a World Series team, which I fully believe, and just from my judgment of interviewing Steve Sparks and Dana Brown every week, my guess is, and they're five games in front of first place, I would think that they believe that they are going to be hanging around, especially in an American league that while Boston's playing great baseball, Detroit is at the top of the list. It's good, trust me, it's good. But you can win the American League if you can match Detroit's pitching staff or anybody else who rolls along there. If Seattle is in the playoffs, or if the Texas Rangers are in as well, the Astros, if they can get that type of performance from their front line, get a couple guys healthy, different story that they are not only a player, hell one of the better records in the first half of the season, So that tells you their player. Is it smoking mirrors? Hard for me to believe you can be ninety some games in it's all smoking mirrors. The question is can you sustain it for sixty plus sixty five more? So, I'm not worried about how you and I feel if they make a trade that they think is worthy. You know, they did one last year and thought that they would be given up assets and that they would it would be really good for them, and he pitched well coming out of Toronto and they saw it, but they didn't get to keep him and he never got to take the mound because they got swept. So I believe they are buyers, but we're going to know if they think they're a World Series team soon, and I expect them to hang around because they're not going to lose the lead by the weekend. Even if they get swept, they'll still be in first place. We're going to find out who they think they are, and judging from our interviews, I believe that they think they're World Series team. I don't think they're giving away the fun and rebuilding now now. If they were ten games out right now Frommer's name would be coming up all over, as would other players on this roster.
Speaker 2: It's not they're in first place.
Speaker 9: They got to get what happened fixed at the end of the first half, and they've got to get healthy if they really want to be a player. But I don't know how we can argue, damn near one hundred games in at how this team's been as resilient as any team in baseball.
Speaker 8: I mean, and it's also too what are the needs of this team?
Speaker 1: I mean?
Speaker 8: I mentioned the Chandler Rome piece earlier. He'd even talked about how the trade deadline could look for this team, and left handed bat is one of them, and his contention was, you'd be looking for a guy that's a left handed bat can play second base for you, and or could be somebody that can play left field, because you're not moving camp Smith out of right field. That's staying at least for the time being. You need a center fielder because you appreciate what Taylor Tremmeel has done, but you need somebody out there that can also be able to provide some offense for you.
Speaker 1: And maybe that enters into the equation.
Speaker 8: I mean, because we've talked about the possibility of Cedric Mullins being somebody who started off right this year but then started to tail off as the season went on. What about a guy like Andrew Benin Tendi Sean who right now two thirty three and eleven homers, thirty five runs batted in. We know that he is a guy that can play a good outfield.
Speaker 9: Cedric Mullins and Andrew ben and Tendy you know both have had, you know, all star type moments both good players. And Mullins is a good player. If you're talking about a wow factor, deal, that ain't it. But it's a piece you're exactly that's that will decide is it one of those guys that did help your depth and can make an impact and yeah, and neither one of them went healthy. And Cam Smith, who's healthy, he's gonna be playing right field. And when Jake Myers comes back, he's in centerfield. So you're telling me as a left fielder. So does that mean you're moving out to it back to full time second base? If you're gonna go get Cedric Mullens, you go get Andrew Ben and Tendi who's a left fielder as well.
Speaker 2: That's one thing you have to find out.
Speaker 9: So is it a small piece move, like when you're putting a puzzle together on your table and you're like, well, where's that, Oh that one piece fell below your foot, Go down and get it. Put in good good players if that's all you're looking for. So is this going to be a wow factor move?
Speaker 2: That does it? But you need more than one piece if.
Speaker 9: They As mentioned by Chandler Roman his article, it's almost a five era for guys not named fromber and Hunter Brown if you think and they're a five hundred team when the other guys pitch for the most part. So you got to decide if you think, and I don't think right now, you can count on the fact that even if they come back, how good are Garcia and how good will you know Spencer be and how good will Javier be as they ramp up? And really they've got to go pitch elsewhere. I mean where you're looking at still a ways away from that, But you got to ask yourself, will they be ready.
Speaker 2: To run the stretch down? If they're healthy to do it?
Speaker 9: Pitcher? I think a power bat left tan. And it also depends on not only you gotta get your on healthy. You got to ask yourself, is yor don gonna be the guy before he before he went on the il for all these days? And that's something and you assume he is because his history tells you he's a great player, So I think there is. So if it's Mullins or Been and Tendee, I don't know what that does for oh wow, we're gonna crush it. It does add depth and maybe, like always when people come here, they seem to elevate their play, But is that the deal to gets you over the top power wise? Neither one of those guys are hitting you for thirty home runs, So if you're just looking for that, it's one thing. And Mullins there's some pop, but I'm talking about a guy who every time he comes to the plate can can produce at least has a chance to produce that big bat.
Speaker 2: So we'll see.
Speaker 9: I think if you're gonna make a move, you're looking at more than one guy pitching and starting pitching and you know, a thumper at the plate. The question is what do you got to give up to get the wow factor guy as opposed to the guy? And Baltimore seems they're not afraid to give guys and give guys up right now. And this is a team for the last two three years has been who look at the strides they've made, well right now they're willing to part The question is who are they willing to part with and how many of them? And around baseball, what do you got to give up to get a guy that's not a wow factor player? And if you do, go get a big time this guy's a monster. Now what do you do to deplete what you have? And are you gonna have to give up a guy that's on your rush? You gotta be careful not to disrupt what's going on rhythm wise for this team, and it's been going on pretty good this whole year. SAMs the last six games before the All Star Break.
Speaker 8: I just combed through and I look at some of the guys out there that could fit the profile of a left handed bat. And I mean we've mentioned a couple of those names. Another guy that came up was Ryan McMahon with the Colorado Rockies this year. He's down both average and ops still thirteen homers and twenty eight runs batted.
Speaker 2: In and another left handed bat.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and he's a guy that can play second base too. He's played third, can play second, has even gotten some work in over at first. So I think that you wouldn't have to necessarily give up a ton or at least two of those names. I wouldn't expect that the White Sox are gonna expect a ton of money or uh prospects back in return for a guy like Benintendie.
Speaker 1: But the problem is is money.
Speaker 8: He's seventeen point one this year, next year in the year after that, so that also feeds into it. I just think that if you're looking for the most bang for your buck here, Sean, then that's got to be starting pitching.
Speaker 9: Oh, I don't think, well, if it goes by what they all believe, pitching pitching pitching, if you have the If you have your druthers, which one would it be one or the other? You're you're gonna go get the pitcher because you can survive. You can win if you If you are not a great offense, you can win with a decent offense.
Speaker 2: You can, We've seen it.
Speaker 9: But you can be a great offense if your pitching staff cannot hold up. They're banged up, and they are, they're not their average with this pitching staff is not average. But if they are, you'll end up wearing starting pitching, end up wearing not the bullpen, and then you're not scoring enough. Fronts give me pitching all the time before hitting. Yet you give me both, and it's a nice bonus. But yes, if you if you can only make one decision, I would imagine you're trying to bolster it with a stud to add to the two at the front of the rotation already and keep that bullpen fresh.
Speaker 1: A question about it.
Speaker 8: Seven one three, two one two five seven ninety is the number to get in. We can continue the Astros trade deadline discussion as well as get into a couple of other things major League Baseball related, like Sean, you mentioned a rod yesterday We didn't even mention another way that he overloaded his mouth with his ass a couple of days ago here in Atlanta at the All Star Game.
Speaker 1: We'll have that for you next right here.
Speaker 8: It is a Sean Salisbury show on a Thursday Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 9: All right, guys, let's discuss doctor Jeff Witz at Envision. Okay, Uh, he's been nothing but spectacular for me. I always say when I want to know it. First off, how in the world would somebody who's never used lasik or never been to the eye doctor for something important, How in the world would they be able to speak on somebody?
Speaker 2: Talk to the people who've used it.
Speaker 9: Doctor Wits has been with me every step of the way for the last seven or eight years. Every step he's been phenomenal. So talk to and friends I've sent him, same way. Talk to those people, not the one who well, I'm thinking about getting it done. But here, let me tell you about this company. How about talking about somebody who's been there, done it. I'm seeing better than I've seen the last thirty years. And if there's anything that needs adjusted, he's doing it. You have the best doctor right here. You don't have to travel out of state to go get the Lasik procedure guy that you want to get it done right in eye care doctor.
Speaker 2: He's phenomenal.
Speaker 9: He'll walk you through it, take away your anxiety and stress, because there always is when you're talking about your eyes, but with the greatest equipment, with his great eye and hands to make sure that you get treated the way he'd treat his own kid's eyes. Isn't that a nice bonus we get? And then the recovery's quick, you're not on the table long, and it's non invasive. All those things, plus you can work out your payment plan. Get it done with doctor Jeff Witze because your eyes are important, as you well know, and he's gonna make sure you understand just how comfortable you can be. And that's a good thing. He's the best in the business and I'm grateful. I am a patient. It's seven one three three six five nine seven nine nine seven one three three six five ninety seven ninety nine. You can get him at wits it vision dot com. Go for your free review wits it vision dot com.
Speaker 5: Buckle up. The Shawn Salisbury Show continues.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a hell ray. Good morning.
Speaker 14: How you doing, Hey, Good morning, guys. Maybe I'm just swinging for the fences, but uh, I know we've talked about it before. Why not? Why aren't we going for Mike Trout?
Speaker 9: Well, Ray, I can tell you what he makes, thirty five and a half million dollars in that I think would take you over what you wouldn't that take him into a luxury situation?
Speaker 1: Uh? Dan?
Speaker 9: I think so? And what you're gonna have to give up to get it? Your giveth and you taketh away. I love, I love where your head is, but imagine the whole what you'd have to give up. And they're not paying thirty five million dollars a year to Mike Trout. They're just not well.
Speaker 14: I mean, we could rent him for a year and then I mean, we want to win at least one more before the ride is over.
Speaker 9: What are you willing to give? Okay, what are you going to give up for him? Tell me what you're gonna trade for him? Put a package together for me for Trout so we can get an idea, not just the thirty five million they're gonna have to take on and they'll lose some of it obviously when they get riticized. But what are you willing to trade for Mike Trout on this team.
Speaker 14: You're not. Y'all are not going to like this. But I think Alvarez because he ain't playing, I don't know, we don't even know when he's coming back, that would be my start. I would have to really think about what I would be willing to give up. But I mean, can get mad, all right.
Speaker 9: We're not mad at all. You asked, We're just giving you a car. Adobe Dobe sins. We're not mad at all. I mean, I I love Mike Trout, it'd be great to have him, but just on the realistic side. Now, do we know how how old's Trout early thirties, thirty two, thirty three, three thirty three, he's thirty three years old. That's about an eight year difference or seven year difference. It's it's triple the money Jordon's making. I'm talking about over the course, what's he making four hundred and fifty million Trout so thirty five or thirty six year I think it's thirty.
Speaker 2: Five and a half right now for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 9: And so you're giving it and then you got you got Jordan under contract, and you and then you want to rent Mike Trout and give a I get I love Trout the player, but yeah, Jordon for Trout. I think the Angels would probably listen. Trout's had injury history. Obviously, Trout has never won a playoff game. Now on the Astros, he probably would because I mean he's played in a couple but never won one. He and O Tawni together didn't see you better have pitching, and they have it here. I like where your head is. I just don't think it's feasible to pull it off, and I sure as hell don't think injury or not that they believe because you're You're getting rid of a who's been banged up for a guy who I love and is a Hall of Famer who's always banged up. I love the idea, but I can't give up yord On for Trout. And I think Trout's the best all around player we've seen, not named Otani. The last what dozen years, He's been the MVP like seventy four times and finished in the top five the other twenty seven times. So I like it, but age wise and money wise, I can't do it, and I don't trust that Trout would be healthy the next seventy games. I couldn't do it, but I like your I like the idea, but I just think realistically we can't. But man, I'm with you. If you could get Trout and not give up Yard on, the problem is what would you have.
Speaker 2: To give up to get him? And are you willing to pay for that? And I don't think they are.
Speaker 14: Okay, fair enough, you guys, have a great weekend.
Speaker 2: Good point, Ray, Thank you?
Speaker 8: All right to you, Ray, Yeah, I mean your point about Trout not being able to stay healthy.
Speaker 1: Sean.
Speaker 8: He's played over half a season once in the last three years, and that was by one game. He played eighty two games in twenty twenty three, twenty nine, just last year, in seventy this year. No guy I've ever met even missed of this year. Yeah, no guy. When I say met, no guy I've ever watched, I mean, may we have. But I'm talking about that can garner more MVP votes when he misses like fifty games a year. The guy will play and the numbers I'm talking about, the guy will play like one hundred and thirty games and he'll finish like in the top three in the MVP Award. When he's playing and on the field, the numbers he just gathers and puts up are sick. But the fact of the matter is, if we're complaining about Jordan's health, there's no other superstar in baseball right now that's hurt more than Trout. And it bothers me to say it, because I am a huge Mike Trout fan. It's just not a deal. I can't and I don't know how many more healthy years you're gonna get from Mike Trout.
Speaker 9: Usually the older you get the less the less you stay healthy, and Mike hasn't been able to stay healthy when he's young, so and yet he is a great play. Hell, if you have Trout for one hundred and thirty games, it's like having another cat for a hundred and sixty. But the problem is is if you're getting him here and all of a sudden you trade that he comes in in ten games in he's got a hammy out for fifteen and then all of a sudden, the shoulder or a thumb or a quad You're like, well, wait a second, I think the risk is too big for the reward. Especially on the left hand side of the plate. Jordon appears that he's at least gonna get healthy. We hope. I know where Ray's head is. But the reality of it, I don't think you can do it, and I'm not sure the Angels, even with Jordan, would do it. But at some point in time, I'd love to see Mike Trout play somewhere where we could see him for a full postseason and go. I'm not sure that'll ever happen with the Angels or maybe somewhere else, but you're going to have to give up quite a bit to get him, and your sure's gonna have to pay a lot, and I'm not willing to trade the injury for the injury and then take me over the luxury situation tax with them. So I don't think that's an eye option. Although having Mike Trout in an Astro's uniform would look really, really nice, I don't know. I don't believe that's ever gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it would. It would be cool.
Speaker 8: You'd sell some tickets and sell some jerseys. But I mean it's not for a lack of trying either from the Angels either, Sean. I mean they've tried to put them in right field. They tried to d h him. They tried to take them out of center field for those very reasons, because well, they felt like centerfield was taxing them too much healthwise. So it's even with those moves that they've made, he's still not been as to show.
Speaker 9: That you could you could pinch hit him, and at some point Mike Trout's gonna get hurt. And I hate it because I am a huge fan, But on the realistic business side, it would not be a good business move. And when we say, man, they didn't now Trout here with better players as one thing, but when you think about we had the two best players in baseball one and two, no matter how you looked at it, with Otani and Trout for a hand for what three four years whatever it was. However many years they were together at the Angels, they did not play in one playoff game. If that's not the greatest example of pitching needed, then there isn't one raise on point with Trout and his ability. And I get his the temptation, but those two were on the same team and the two best players in baseball at the time they were together, and not only couldn't you keep them both healthy all the time, but they didn't win a playoff game. They didn't play in a playoff game. Now you do that math, Yeah, hard hard to do and hard to validate. So if you said, give me a great pitcher or Mike Trout at this stage, give me the pitcher. And I never thought i'd say that, as good as Trout is, but it's if you just can't now if all of a sudden they wanted to give Trout away for a prospect and a and a a player that's good but not jord On, and you could find a way to manipulate it and work it around the tower, willing to go into that and pay the extra, which they've proven that they don't like to do here, then then okay, I'd consider it. Hell who doesn't want Trout, But it's got to be it's got to be favorable to me too, And right now, a Jordon for Trout, straight up, I think we'd be losing the trade because at this stage of the game, I'm not sure Jordon's not as good a hitter, if not better than Trout is. When they're both healthy, they're the equal. They're both top ten players in a league at the plate. But the question is that's a big if and rarely are you going to have either one of them healthy for one hundred and sixty games.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: And plus if you're the Angels, I mean, why wouldn't you try to do the Mookie Bets trade? Like, why wouldn't you try to get that type of return?
Speaker 1: Hell?
Speaker 8: I mean what the Nationals got back for Soto when they shipped them out the San Diego I mean that's worked out incredibly well.
Speaker 1: CJ. Abrams, a guy that's been really good for them.
Speaker 8: So that's I mean, if you're taking calls, if you're the Angels, that's the type of package that I'm looking for in return, because I'm saying, hey, I understand the health. Don't talk to me about the health. You're getting the player that's the type of guy, you're sure. And if you're the Angels, you're saying, all right, maybe we're taking it, you know, on the front end here, but you want to be able to have guys that on the back end three four, hell five and your players that can be able to you know, be able to show your fan base, oh yeah, we made the right move.
Speaker 9: And you're also, I would think would want to deal with somebody who is already past that the tax right or is willing to go in there. Hell, I could see a team like Philadelphia trying to get Trout there. They can afford it. The I mean they can, I could see. I don't know if they're going I'm just using them an example. I mean, that's is any of Philadelphia Philly, I mean Philadelphia Eagle season ticket holder. I mean I could see it. Hell, the guys right up the don't kid yourself. If they thought they could pull it off and it worked for them, you don't think the guys right up the Interstate, up up up Highway five would be interesting? I mean, can you imagine that and leave it to them to try to try and pull it off like the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Well you know what I mean.
Speaker 9: I don't know if what's going to happen to this trade deadline, but you could see them saying, well, wait a second, now, they may maybe we'll throw this guy into the mix too, So it's not gonna happen. I don't think then, no, he's going anywhere. But they if you're the Angels, you would still have to ask for a haul because when Trout is on the diamond, he is still a major threat. I just don't think teams that aren't willing to think about all the players we've let go here because you didn't want to enter into a to that you know, that rarefied era of money. I think the Astros wall it sounds good, it's unrealistic, and I'm sure I'm not parting with yord On yet.
Speaker 2: I just can't.
Speaker 9: Even though now, if you told me he is out for the season and Sean it's going to be you're getting one hundred and thirty or one hundred and twenty games out of every year for the next five years, at some point time you would have to consider it.
Speaker 2: So who is he?
Speaker 9: Is he the healthy Yordon or are we going to be facing a Mike Trout Anthony Davis type of thing where every year there's time. I'm not putting him in that category yet. I don't think we should. And when the guy's out there, he is dedominant. I don't think I'm ready to part with Yordon really for anybody just yet.
Speaker 2: I'm really not well.
Speaker 8: I mean, Reggie Jackson said they don't boo nobody's I would go ahead and use kind of that same logic with they don't intentionally walk nobody's and Jordon's one of those guys that he gets that respect. I mean, hell, we even saw it earlier this year Sean, where he's going through his struggles, and I forget there was even a load up the bases.
Speaker 1: I think they were playing Cleveland.
Speaker 8: I can't remember who they were playing, but they walk Jordan and you're kind of like, right, I won for his last like twenty one right.
Speaker 9: Put it this way, the baseball world, knowing the resilience and grit of the Astros and the way they can pitch in front eye their bullpen, they want they do not want Jordan to get healthy. Oh for the guy to be healthy. You don't root for anybody's injury. But while he's there, they just assume he stays on the shelf for two more months, for another six d They don't want any part of it, because if he comes back and he's healthy and good, the Astros are going to win this division and they're going to especially if they're pitching, gets healthy and stay as healthy as they are, they're going to win the division and they're going to win the division. With a punch to your face, the question is, so, if you're an especially an American league, team. The last thing you want is the big fellow healthy. So you're begging for it, and the Astros are are. I'm sure counting on the fact that at some point in time this year he's going to be hitting into three hole and driving in runs. That remains to be seen as to win.
Speaker 1: For sure, and also as to win.
Speaker 8: We know when the Texans are going to start training camp, that's going to be next Wednesday, and one of the Texans offensive linemen making a bold proclamation about how this twenty twenty five season is going to go.
Speaker 1: What you hear from them next right here?
Speaker 8: As we continue on the Seawan Salisbury Show on a Thursday Sports Talk seven to ninety, the seven ninety listener line in the eight o'clock hour is presented by one eight hundred car Cash. The Astros just drafted a guy from LSU and also I want to talk a little college football, and you know LSU and a like with scone.
Speaker 9: So great to have him on for you. Do you what I said, It'll be great to have him on. Yeah, I go on his show every week during the fall. Yes, he's great and very good at his job and it always great to talk to him.
Speaker 8: Absolutely so look forward to catching up with him. But the Astros and Mariner is gonna get to work tomorrow night to start the baseball season back up. But as I mentioned this time next week, Sean, we are going to have the Texans on the practice field for the start of training camp, and of course a lot of eye is gonna be on the offensive line. Who's gonna be your starting up five there upfront this year? This offseason, Laramie Tunzel goes out the door, same with Shaq Mason. A lot of moves made in order to try to make up for some of those losses, either through free agency or the draft. But Jake Andrews is a guy that's fighting for one of those spots. And yesterday he caught up with Mark Vandermere with the Texans in house media over there at NRG Stadium, and I said a huge proclamation made by him. Listen to what Jake Andrews says you can expect from the Texans in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 17: The ball is gonna be run, I'll tell you that much. We're gonna run the football Dayli's doing a good job with putting all that stuff together. We're gonna protect CJ Or whoever's back there, try to make us five up from We're gonna try to make it our life's work to not have anybody in his lap. We're touching him at all. Yeah, we're gonna pound the rock and we're gonna air it out. We're gonna keep people on their toes and uh, we're gonna play tough, physical football, and people are gonna know when they wake up on Monday morning that they just got done playing in the Houston Texans.
Speaker 8: As a Texans fan, sean, that will absolutely fire you up because that is anything but what they were in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 9: Uh yeah, well it's anything they've been in a minute when it's talking about dominate the line of scrimmage and when you come out of a game, and you'll come he he played the Texas. You know you've played them, but even more so now that my favorite parts, the last part, because the first party really means He told me that they were gonna run the ball, They're gonna be physical, protect the quarterback and throw it all over the lot. Well, of course that's the object. I would imagine that you are going to throw it, you are going to run it, and you got two stud runners the last part, and he's right, keep your quarterback up right and make sure when they wake up on Monday morning that they need a plunge pool because they've been they've had their ass handed to them physically, they're going to be able to finesse enough. A quarterback, hopefully the coordinator put him in a position, won't play scared, will attack and be aggressive.
Speaker 2: But also you've got to have the ability.
Speaker 9: When it's seventeen to fourteen and you've got the ball with seven minutes to go to end the game, and a lot of times that's not by throwing it twelve times on the final drive. That's why you're up by three to hand it, to mix it and Chubb and not just hand it to him, but move real estate play on their side of the line of scrimmage. So yeah, it's a novel concept and I like his style. Now, now go do it. Protect the quarterback so he doesn't have to the ball doesn't come out prematurely, and so his head's not on a swivel where he trusts that he can set his feet and deliver the ball. And two is turn around and hand and then mix in play action. Those things I'm not worried about CJ. Straud's ability to rip it, and I'm not worried about their ability to want to run it. But the two things you went out got shubbed because you want depth there and you know you're physical, but you got to be physical at the point of attack, not just those two cats in the backfield. So I like the style, but I love if you can come out of every game and everybody's battered and bruised on the other team, You're gonna win far more than you're gonna lose because the quarterback throws and stuff will take care of themselves. It's the physicality that will get you either where you want to go or the lack thereof that will get you eliminated. So yes, and it should start there. Hence why this team needs to match the defensive physicality with their offensive front. They'll make enough play stole on the ball. I'd love to have us come out of the week and say, you know what, most of the time they may have got beat this week, and they will get beat a handful of times, but you'd like to know that when you in winning, it's like that old win in Rocky. No, Rema don't want no rematch basically where you you don't want to you don't want to go through that fight again. You just assumed somebody pillow fight you. And the last year they were a pillow fighter. They just were this team. They gave you an NBA fight. Well, I'll slap a little bit and move around, stand behind a guy, hit and run. You know, when you hit the guy and move around. That type of pillow fight and when they don't belong in a fistfight because they don't know how NFL players got a pretty good idea. Give me some hockey stuff and I'll take that. And if that's who they're if their identity coming out of this is defense and physical domination on the offensive line, the face of the franchise can be CJ.
Speaker 2: Stroud because I know he can throw it.
Speaker 9: I'm not sure yet if they can dominate the line of scrimmage on defense on offense, We'll go find out. But I do like that their attitude is it's either that or bust and go to the ends of the earth. To make sure that your quarterback is standing upright when the game's over, that's the right approach.
Speaker 8: Well, and also to be able to have confidence in his feet to make throws down the field and even be healthy. I mean, I think we get we were talking about it all throughout. Ohca's in mini camp. That's you gotta wonder if you was still a little banged up from last season because of how many hits he took last year.
Speaker 1: So those are things that the sections are hoping they can sure up.
Speaker 8: One more quick point on this that I will make on the other side, also, Dwayne wants to weigh in as we continue here on the Seawan Salisbury Show on a Thursday, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: Ry, You're back. This is the Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 16: Get back at it, Dwayne.
Speaker 18: Good morning, Good morning Max, Good morning Sean. This year and the MB well major League Baseball, this is the buyer's year, So finding a player that you're going to need on your roster is either going to cost more or if if somebody wants to trade them. So right now, the ED I think this is my thought. But the Astros are doing pretty good. And the thing is is if all eight players can play together and do like they've been doing winning, I mean they're actually winning, and yeah, I think they can still stay up on top of the West because the Mariners and the Texas Rangers. I don't know if they're gonna be able to find anybody other than the you know, maybe a kid that they picked from the draft. But that's all I want to just say, thank you all.
Speaker 8: I appreciate the cal Dwayne. I mean, look to his point too, Sean. I mean, I went through some of the names that might be out there that fit the profile of what the Astros are looking for.
Speaker 1: Position player wise, the pool is shallow.
Speaker 8: There's not very many, and with the expanded playoffs and more teams make it through a wild card, you've got teams who right now, in other years before that being the case, would have probably been selling in a couple of weeks. But now they're saying, kind of like you were talking about the Astros, are you a world serious team or not? They're trying to just to determine are we a playoff team or not? And if we're not, how much do we want to sell?
Speaker 9: All Right, I'll tell you a team that's got some good players, that is in a brutal division and it's going to take a lot. There was two years removed from the World Series, Arizona. If I mean that's a team look on are they Are they going to be sellers? They've got some pitching. I mean now that the pitching is not as dominant, but this team has some some players and the question is who are they? I mean, are they Baltimore Oil style? And I don't even know. I haven't looked at how far out are they in this division?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 9: The Diamondbacks and Volo is a good manager. You got the standings in front of you. If not, I'll pull them up.
Speaker 13: I was.
Speaker 8: I was letting you finish while the page refreshed. Arizona currently is eleven games okay in the division. But to the point I brought up five and a half games out of a wild card okay, and how many teams have they got to Let's see the padre in front of them, Giants in front of them, Dodgers in front of them, right, that's correct?
Speaker 9: Okay, three teams in the division that that's gonna still be. That's a task, right. Four teams from the division are not making the playoffs, the division winner and three other that's just I don't believe that's I don't know. Is it possible that Kademy, can you have how many wildcards? We have three is that correct?
Speaker 1: Or two?
Speaker 2: Three wildcards?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 9: So you'd have to I mean, that's that's tough sled. They've got to decide, not like the Astros, because the Astros are in first place. But okay, even though we may be a wildcard team, are we good enough to get through it? Or are certain pitchers available on this because they've got some pretty good players, and you kind of wonder, is this a version of like Baltimore that's got players. Baltimore was supposed to be a World Series team. I mean, they've been at the top. They were, Baltimore's been the fashion Toronto pick the last couple of years. Before that, it's the Blue Jays Blue Jays, and they've underachieved because they had pitching and they've got big hitting. And then you go into the Baltimore man, they're they're arriving early. They've got all these young players. But that is then you get rid of Corbin Burns and you start to roll and you say, okay, now now where are we? Okay, we're gonna we're gonna move a few players.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 9: Arizona two years removed from the World Series, eleven games out. Yeah, wild card, but if we even give the wild card. Are we legitimately a team or is now the time to move one of our good players or a pitcher or two and retool a little bit to get some prospects financially and you know, for the future.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I don't even know how they're feeling, but I would imagine that people have called them. So I'm just using them as an example to go get what you want and you may be able. They've dealt with Arizona in the past, cup well Christian Walker, but also back when they got Grankie and they gave up five prospects for him. So maybe, just maybe I do know things changed. But if that's a team that you say, okay, where are they because they're the tweener right now, three teams in front of you in your own division, eleven games out, five or six games away from the wild card. Can you sustain it? And do you expect a monster second half? Unfortunately, they're not gonna gain enough ground for them to be able to say, well, now we're they're not going to win six in a row. I wouldn't imagine however many they're playing before the or eight in a row or ten in a row before the All Star break, maybe they will. Maybe they'll go on a Red Sox run and then not the All Star break but the trade deadline, and you'll say, you know what, we're charging. The problem is, you've got three really good teams, two World Series I think tight teams, and a team that's favored. So that's a lot to overcome. So who will Arizona be? And if they are, they've got some players that may very well be somebody that you could inquire about and be willing to they'd be willing to move. I'm curious to see who they are. And I don't even know what the Baseball Riders are saying about them. But just from my vantage point in watching, that's a team that over the next two weeks they may have to decide. Now, if they win one and lose seven in a row, I can't imagine that if they're twelve, fourteen games out, I can't imagine that they're not going to be listening to offers for some of their players.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, it's a great point, and that's what these couple of weeks are.
Speaker 13: Four.
Speaker 8: I mean, you know, you've got the Rangers three and a half games out of a wildcard spot. I mean, the Angels while they're there, that's there's a shelf life they're going to fall off. They just don't have the pitching to be able to make a run deep. I mean, it is one of their more competitive years they've had. But I mean, you know, we were talking about that piece from CBS Sports. There's that group that's kind of in the middle of Minnesota, Kansas City in Cleveland, and they're all four four and a half games out. But it's a question of is it just not really a pathway for those teams to make the playoffs? And then you know, you factor in the teams that are in the National League, and we covered some.
Speaker 9: Of those absolutely, it's just you know, like I said, we don't know. We can from our vantage point. You get an idea of, okay, this team, we can get a perception of who would is going to you know, crap can the whole operation and try to move on. You can see that by teams that are way out of it and people aren't coming to the ballpark. We we know, but it's teams like Airs Owner that are tweeners right now and you say, well they're in they're in a precarious situation, but they know in they're building for the most part, who they are. From our vantage point, it may look different than inside, and they may say, this is just the aberration. We're better than this. We're sticking with this. We're not moving people. But there will be sellers. The question I always say this, Yeah, well, well you may want to go get a guy. What are you willing to give up to get him? And let what tier is it? Is it a superstar tier player? Well, there you go. Is it a difference maker? But not a guy that is our that's say, oh my gosh, without him, we can't go on the difference maker that you need because it fulfills a need. Or is it the third one that you're just looking for depth and a guy that can spot some people and play a few different positions, or a pitcher that your fifth starter, that it's insurance. That's what you've got to decide, whether you're Arizona, whether the you're the Astros, or whether you're the damn Colorado Rockies. But and you may find a team that's desperate to get rid of somebody, and they may just say a guy I'm I'm willing to take less and you might find that team that's a tweener that so like Arizona says no, if you want this cat, you're gonna give up a lot. And then it comes to the Astros or a team like Seattle or the Rangers that are willing to say, what are we willing to do to disrupt what we have to take a step back and losing this guy or this prospect in order to take two steps forward and give ourselves a legitimate chance when we get to the postseason. Of those teams we just named, obviously, the Astros are sitting in a really good position. I can't imagine any team five games in front of first place parting with a lot of prospects to go get somebody that's going to help that. I just don't see it when I say prospects and possibly somebody on your team. I think the Astros have to be in buyer's mode right now. I can't imagine even if they lost three in a row to Seattle, why would you sell If you're a first place team and you sell on any team, I got a problem with you as a fan base. You're basically telling me we are not in and you're in first place, I don't think the Astros think like that.
Speaker 2: Hints why they're so successful.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't think Dana Brown wants any part of that press conference, and I don't think he's gonna have to give that press conference. I think of anything, it's gonna be him up there introducing us to a new player or players. When it's all said and done here in the next couple of weeks, all right, as promised, coming up here in the fourth hour of the show. Or good buddy Matt Moscona at ESPN one oh four to five, he's gonna drop I talk a little bit of baseball, talk, some football, and even something in Houston he's got cooking up here in a very short order.
Speaker 1: All of that's coming up right here.
Speaker 8: It is Sean Salisbury Show on a Thursday Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 9: Hey, guys, Trajan Wealth, who do you want to be in retirement? What are your goals?
Speaker 2: Dreams?
Speaker 9: What steps are you taken to get to retirement so you have peace of mind? I mean I can go through different every day, different ways to tell you how important it is. We all have friends, and maybe even you yourself will learn from valuable lessons, some good some bad friends. That did not prepare, and then they weren't prepared for Oh my gosh, there's a downturn. Oh my gosh, it's an election year. Oh my gosh, it's something else. And next thing, you know, you didn't prepare for retirement, and now you got to go back to work. You've got to retire three years after you wanted to, and you don't have enough money to stay retired. So what are you going to do? This is an easy thing to get out in front of. It's a free review. It's Trajan Wealth. They're local and trusted. They're a fiduciary, which means that they are Their obligation is to you and your portfolio. So why in the world wouldn't you go through the free review? Don't you talk to to travel agents to find out who's given you the best deal on a flight on your vacation, and that's important. How many vacations you want retirement? A lot of them. I would suggest that you prepare for retirement with a wealth advice. You don't need to be a millionaire to have a wealth advisor. You need probably need to be a millionaire. I mean to hire a wealth advisor to help you stay a millionaire.
Speaker 2: Not a bad deal.
Speaker 9: And you're always looking for somebody that can enhance your peace of mind and your security. Trasian Wealth, they have questions. Obviously there's no guarantees in life. But what gives you a better chance at peace of mind is somebody who knows what they're doing, expertise, They've got question you've got questions, they got answers. It's a good team to stay shoulder to shoulder with because whether it's a four to one k rollover or risk tolerance, we all want to know where we stand. If you don't, I would suggest you think about it. Your retirement should be a big time commitment, no matter when you start, but starting earlier gives you a better chance to prepare not to fail.
Speaker 2: That's what it's all about.
Speaker 9: And Trasian Wealth is there for a free consultation three four six three seven one thirty three thirty three four six three seven one thirty three thirty or trationwealth dot com for your piece of mind and they're there to help. Trasianwealth dot Com Advisory services off through Trasian Wealth Llc, a SEC registered investment advisor.
Speaker 2: Paid advertisement.
Speaker 10: ABM E's Houston ACVSHDJ Houston Liheart Radio Station.
Speaker 11: The Astros, the Rockets, Rockets.
Speaker 5: Your home for your home teams.
Speaker 3: This is Sports Talk seven ninety from the Parsons Imagine Next Studios, Saulsbury, Houston.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 5: Sewn Salisbury.
Speaker 4: Salesbury to USC Troupes, longtime friend Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 5: Dan, Matthews us. This is the Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 8: Back to action tomorrow nights in Seattle. The Open Championship ongoing over in Northern Ireland and it is currently a three way tie between Jacob Scove, Olison haltong Lee and also Matthew Fitzpatrick all at four under. But has promised our good buddy Matt Moscona joining us here in Atlanta at se See media days. Scone, I know you have Sewn on with you every week during the football season, so we just figured it's time to be able to repay the favor here and have you on with us.
Speaker 19: Love it man, always happy to visit, happy to see you. This is also a weird thing you were going through just there. I guess the second half of the baseball season about to start the Open Championship, Dan, I haven't been outside in like four days. You know, you come to this thing and just you're in this giant convention all in hotel, like you forget the world is still happening outside of this event.
Speaker 7: It's just it's a four day avalanche. Man. But it's cool to be here.
Speaker 8: I was gonna say, aside from getting text messages pictures of my dogs, that's about the outside world that I know. You know, I know, me and Sean want to get into some football with you. But the Stros picked Ethan Fry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a couple of days ago.
Speaker 8: Guy that part of the national title team. I mean, I know he DHD mostly with LSU this year, but what are the Astros getting?
Speaker 19: So he is a fascinating prospect because first of all, is a he has a big league body. You're talking about guy that's sixty five, sixty six, super strong and really athletic. I mean he he has the physical makeup of a big leaguer. The weird thing about Fry is he came to LSU as a catcher, played a little bit of outfield, was injured a year ago, and this year was just your right handed DH. I mean, you guys know this, like there's just not a premium on right handed power hitters that don't play a position. So scouts have never seen Ethan Frye play a position. They don't know what the glove is. So it's fascinating that the Astros gave him, as I was told about a million dollars and you know, he got overslot to sign for an organization that doesn't typically do that. It was a very surprising pick to see fry go where he did, and LSU had a very nice nil revs share offer for him to come back. But this is a guy who showed this year when he was healthy, the ability to hit not only for power but for average. I think he landed on thirteen homers. He didn't really settle in as the full time DH. He had sort of a platoon early in the season, whether they were facing the left to or alrighty, but he just emerged. He led LSU and hitting this year and proved that the ability to hit for average was there as well as ability to hit for power. So super high upside Dan. I just don't know where he plays, like, is he a first base DH? Did they give him some run in the outfield. That's what I'll have to figure out in the farm.
Speaker 7: System.
Speaker 19: But he's got plus power and he's a great athlete who can really run. He's an intriguing prospect just because I don't know where he's going to play in the field.
Speaker 9: Maddie, I'm curious about this. What's the with that, good brother. I look forward to our getting back at it with you each week in this college and NFL season start, And thanks for joining us. I know you're all over the map working your ass off. But back to that. You look at him, you say, I don't know enough about it other than the size, But you talk about the potential. So what's the ceiling and floor five years, ten years from now?
Speaker 7: Yet?
Speaker 19: I mean the floor is he doesn't play a position, the ability to hit for average doesn't translate, and he's he's he's not in the game.
Speaker 9: Anymore, right so, but that's potent. I mean that that that floor that has the potential to happen, is what you're saying.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I mean you have he is a super high ceiling, really low floor type prospect right now. I think that he I think that the swing and miss was bad a year ago.
Speaker 7: He eliminated that largely from his game this year. I think the.
Speaker 19: Ability to hit for average will translate if he finds a spot in the outfield. And I think what he could be is some of these power hitting guys who professional teams just sort.
Speaker 7: Of tried to hide and left.
Speaker 19: Think your right handed power bat's think Albert Bell, Think Manny Ramirez. I'm not saying he's gonna be a Hall of Famer, but I'm just saying a power bat who you had to put him somewhere, and so you stick him in left and he's athletic enough.
Speaker 1: To do it.
Speaker 7: I think that's his ceiling.
Speaker 19: He can be a ten year Big leaguer who plays left field and you know, hits in the middle of somebody's line up in clubs, you know, thirty homers a year, like, I think that's his ceiling, which is really exciting, which.
Speaker 7: I'm sure the Astros.
Speaker 19: Why the Astros were intrigued took him, it's just have not seen him play a position. So can he learn to play left field again?
Speaker 8: Matt Moscon at ESPN one oh four to five, joining us here in Atlanta at SEC Media Days, and let's switch over to some football because I know on a daily basis, you talk a team that we've got on our station LSU and a lot of hype around this team this year.
Speaker 1: You remember twenty nineteen and you remember.
Speaker 8: It was another year of Joe Burrow hearing about this new offense, all of those different types of things, but it was unproven. Brian Kelly's got the results. Can he prove it this year for this team?
Speaker 7: You know, it's so fun. I was thinking I was telling some of that story.
Speaker 19: So when Burrow was here before the twenty nineteen season, remember like at that point LSU was not known as a quarterback factor that they were still the I mean that was Danny yet Ling, and yeah, it was a graveyard. And Burrow came here and even in eighteen Burrow's first year, he went the entire month of October without throwing a touchdown pass, Like it was very hit or miss. And he came here to media days and he made a lot of headlines because he said, we know we got when I think we'll score forty fifty points a game this year, and everyone kind of like rolled their eyes and laugh, like the LSU quarterbacks said they're going to score forty a game. Well, they went on had the greatest offensive season in the history of the sport. I don't know that this team is going to do that, but they do return a fifth year senior and Garrett and us Meyer, who who is the leading returning passer in college football. He's the only four thousand yard passer from a season to go back in college football this year. So we know the potentials there with Garrett's gotta eliminate some of the mistakes be guys. The other big thing, aside from Nusmeyer returning LSU went Ham in the transfer portal. I think this is the other thing that a lot of people maybe are learning this week that they didn't realize. They signed eighteen guys in the portal and all of them were Power five starters. Some of them are all conference guys. AJ Halsey from the University of Houston was all Big twelve safety, led the nation interceptions. They're all in like Ole Miss and Ohio State were a year ago. They're all in this year financially in the portal with this roster to try to build a championship around us Meyer, and the playoff is the baseline. Like ten and two in the playoff is the baseline expectation for this team this year.
Speaker 9: Mattie, if he doesn't Brian Kelly doesn't get his team, and I'm big on Nussmeyer. I think that veteran will teams that. Look what Ohio State did getting that veteran even though they got it through the transfer portal, Look what it does. And I think it was a wise move for Nus to come back, and I love his game. Now that being said, with all this great ability they went out and got How hot is this end? And the pressure obviously grows for Brian Kelly. What's the one three? Since he's been at LSU and starters to start a season, it doesn't get any easier this year to start a season, and now with the playoff expanded to twelve teams and the money he makes, how hot is the seat if he doesn't make a playoff?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 19: See it's I mean, there's two ways to answer that question. It's what will the temperature and baton rouge be? And people will be furious And I think a lot of people who are maybe fence sitters on Brian Kelly waiting to see if he can break through, would fall to the other side on him. But realistically, Sean, if LSU were to fire Brian Kelly after this season, they would owe him fifty one.
Speaker 2: Million dollars money alone, says he can't.
Speaker 19: Right, not only that they won't, but literally sewn like they can't. It's not LSU is not a poverty program, but it's not a place like Texas A and M that could stroke the seventy five million dollar check for Jimbo ten times over and never blink right like the the money isn't there to pay a fifty one million dollar buyout to a coach.
Speaker 7: So the way I've said.
Speaker 19: It, man, is they gave him a ten year deal, ninety five million dollars, ninety percent of it guaranteed for better or worse. LSU and Brian Kelly are financially bound for a decade, so they've got to figure out a way to make it work. The quarterbacks there this year, the investment is there this year, and the roster they have to be in the playoff.
Speaker 7: If they're not.
Speaker 19: The problem that they would get to is in twenty twenty six, you lose us, you lose all these transfers. I think it's realistic to expect they whatever they do in twenty five, I think you expect a regression in twenty six, and that's when they might start looking Okay, what's our what's our exit strategy?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 8: As I mentioned, Matt Moscon at ESPN one oh four five joining us, and we have LSU on the station and LSU fans listen to the station living in Houston, and if they are LSU fans, well they probably know who you are. You're gonna be in Houston here pretty soon, aren't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 19: Man, a week from Monday, So the twenty eighth will be at the Rustic, Can I say?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 19: At the Rustic in downtown for my show to be an LSU alumni event. So any Houston Tigers that are hanging out, man, you want to come see us, We'll be there for the radio show from three to six Central at the Rustic in Houston on Monday the twenty eighth.
Speaker 2: Hey, Madde, we said, go ahead and finish.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Oh sorry?
Speaker 19: So yeah, they we're gonna go watch the Astros Nationals because Dylan Cruz and the Nationals will be in the take on the Strows.
Speaker 2: That's all go.
Speaker 9: You guys will if you haven't heard it, you'll love it and go see him in person. That'd be awesome and it's always a pleasure. To have you on before we let you go at who's the best team in college football in your mind? If you had to make a bet tomorrow, who would it.
Speaker 2: Be on.
Speaker 7: Talent wise? I'd probably say Texas.
Speaker 19: Uh, but I have a giant question about Texas, like I do with most of the teams who are projected at the top, and it's a quarterback. I mean, I understand all the hype around arch I understand all the physical ability.
Speaker 7: But until you do it, I don't know if you can do it.
Speaker 19: So the you know, the best roster I would say, I think is Texas, but I think it's really pretty wide open because it's not too far after that I would look at at LSU because of what they did in the transfer portal. I think it'd be fascinating to see how many teams this he gets in this year because I'm not sold on Georgia. I'm not Georgia with a new quarterback. Fifty four percent of George's roster our first or second year players. Extremely young team this year that Kirby's got team that was thirtieth in the country in total defense.
Speaker 7: Last year they sort of regressed.
Speaker 19: They were fifteenth in the SEC and rushing offense, and I'm not I think Georgia isn't there. Who knows what BAMA has with with ty Simpson. It just feels like all the teams that everyone expects to be at the top of this giant, glaring question market quarterback except LSU, which is why I think they're going to be in that conversation.
Speaker 1: For sure, Matt, appreciate the time.
Speaker 8: Man Again, Matt Moscona, ESPN one oh four five, joining us here on the On Salisbury Show, and look forward to seeing you a what a week from Mondays from Monday twenty ago, So we'll definitely drop by to.
Speaker 2: Say always good to talk to you, brother. I appreciate you.
Speaker 7: Thanks Sean, you bet, Thanks Dan, Thanks Bellos.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there we go, Matt Moscona hopping in with us from ESPN one oh four to five in Baton Rouge. Some interesting things to kick around from that conversation at Sean and also what.
Speaker 1: We talked about a little bit earlier with the Texans. Got a little bit of a note on that.
Speaker 8: As we continue on here me and Atlanta, Sean INTRIPOLEI back in Houston at our iHeartRadio Houston Studios. We continue here Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: The Sean Salisbury Show. Put ours smart ass on your smart speaker.
Speaker 9: Google play Seawan Salisbury on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 8: Up front trying to be able to be more physical on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 1: I do remember after.
Speaker 8: The twenty twenty three season ended, it was Tamiko Ryans up the podium and he said, we've got to be better. We've got to be deeper on the defensive side of the ball. They did that last year. They were very good up front last year on the defensive side of the football, and it wasn't a reason why they lost football games. It was on the offensive side, namely the offensive line. Similar thing was said after season, and it does seem like they made those moves to be able to try to rectify some of those issues upfront. Now it's just a thing of those guys, how do they fit in and how do they perform when they're out there on the field.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the Rappers have changed, meaning the players up front, but the attitude and the approach has to be better. They have to be better. They got punked at times last year. They the cold hard facts are that they did not They did not protect and block in the past. Protection wise, they didn't handle. I'm talking about they didn't even handle just basic stunts. They just didn't and basic they didn't. They were they were They underachieved in that area too, and they're gonna have to get better. And then the physicality that goes along with it. Sometimes it just becomes a body blow game where you know you're not flailing a way and have to finesse them, but you're just gonna have to punch somebody in a gut. And you watch the team Philadelphia did that in the Super Bowl and then their quarterback did well what pressure quarterbacks do. And I think, quite frankly to digress that Jalen Hurts is one of the more underrated since he's a Texas got one of the more underrated players in the league.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 9: I don't think he gets enough credit here. We know the quarterback gets a lot of credit. But I got news for you. The Super Bowl champions offensive line moved piles dominated the Kansas City Chiefs two losses in the Super Bowls. Guess what happened with them? They got dominated by a front seven. Those are those two losses in the Super Bowl, and it happened the second one happened this time. So Philadelphia and Tampa Bay have both got them. So if this team has aspirations to go where we think and that's to February, and that's not far fetched because they're really good and they will get they'll move the ball around plenty. We don't know how the coordinator is going to call plays. I'm assuming pretty damn aggressive and get after it. But you get to be more aggressive when you got Mixing and Chubb, and you get to be more aggressive when and be able to play in a game that's not a shootout. You get to play in a game where you're actually playing somebody that matches your physicality. And in the past and last year they got pushed around by teams that were a little more physical, and that had to be the number one party. Demiko got that message out to the defense.
Speaker 1: It worked.
Speaker 9: I think they're one of the best defenses in the league, and a young one at that. The offensive line regardless who they are, and I don't have a problem with them moving tunsl good on them, and it'll be good for Washington because he's a good player.
Speaker 2: But I need five.
Speaker 9: Solid ones more than one good one, and four that are like well it depends in the right position. Are they physical, and hopefully it'll cut down part of the discipline, not just the physicality. Part of that discipline and domination physically. We're talking about is give yourself a chance pre snap penalties. If you're at first in fifteen or third and ten and then you get a fire and now it's third and fifteen, you ain't getting many first downs and you don't get to play physical. Now you're forced into finesse. So that was self inflicted crap led by the left tackle. Good player, he's not crap, but the decisions to constantly jump off sides. This team offensively last year so good that they moved on. Now you got to get some answers and some response from the rest of this team and live up to the talk of we're going to be more physical and we'll go find out because there's plenty who can hit you in the mouth, and I'd like to see them come back with body blows and see how that responds for them.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 8: And it's also too, I mean, the penalty part of what you were talking about there is what hurt them last season, where they would have a lead like they did on Sunday, night Football against the Lions, and because they were unable to stay disciplined and allowed for Detroit to be able to get back into that game. That's why they lost that game. I mean even other games too. It was pretty much close games last year were not going to go in their favor because of how they played.
Speaker 9: In that regard, even in wins, at times they got pushed around. They're fortunate they have some really good players and the defense did a hell of a job last year as well. It didn't just put them in trouble, it crushed them. Their ability to get penalties was uncanny. In my life, I have never seen a player or a team, especially a player. So that's a high paid player that's supposed to be a dominant player. I can never consider a dominant player that kills my team during pre snap. Tunts is a good player, make no mistake. He's not the best left tack in the league. Now, Washington may get themselves a damn good one. He's talented as hell. But until you can be disciplined enough a pre snap and penalty wise, I can't put you in the class of the guys who don't do that. When the ball snapped a pretty damn good player, So you had to eliminate that, and if you couldn't eliminate it, then you're in the same problem. And the year before he was penalized a lot, so you, truthfully, you got rid of a bunch of penalties. Now let's hope that that improves, because pre snap penalties didn't hurt him. Pre snap penalties and penalties around killed them offensively. You can't win games on second and fourteen, you just can't. You'll get him once in a while. That's too much to overcome. And this year it has to be different. If they cut down on the penalties and are able to choke you out once in a while physically, and well not just once in a while, the majority of the time, the rest will take care of itself because if you're not physical, pillow fights don't win NFL football games, and they sure as hell don't win championships.
Speaker 8: No, the complete opposite does. And you talked about the Philadelphia Eagles. They showed that in a huge way when they took down the Chiefs in the fashion they.
Speaker 1: Did in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 8: So hopefully the Sexans can turn that page in twenty twenty five. Adrian C You right, there working into the conversation as the show continues along.
Speaker 1: But Chris Gordy our Thursday visit with him.
Speaker 8: Normally we do it at the top of the hour today because of Matt Moscona joining us doing it at the bottom of the hour here as we continue along here on the Sean Salisbury Show Sports Talk seven ninety. But Sean, we talked about him a little bit earlier. Let's talk about jbar and Barbecue again. Because when I say elite, thick cut, juicy, really good brisket, who am I talking about?
Speaker 9: Well, you have obviously jbar and Barbecue. And I can remember the very first time I went in there and went through the line and just saw the setup. You know, optics matter to me because man, clean, spacious outdoors where you can go there, you know, on a Saturday and get yourself watching a game or Astros pregame and postgame. But you don't need an event surrounding you to want to get in your car and drive an hour away to get to the best barbecue. If you like barbecue, Please don't tell me all the barbecue in Texas is the same. It's not, and it's sure as hell isn't the same. Unless you're telling me it's elite, and you are, and so am I. When you go to J Barn Barbecue jbmbarbecue dot com, you don't need reservations.
Speaker 2: You just need to know.
Speaker 9: It's a twenty two oh one Leland and it is the best barbecue in this city. And the customer service is off the chart. So if you like indoor outdoor entertainment and you like location and you want someplace to go, you found it.
Speaker 2: It's Jbarn Barbecue.
Speaker 8: And I mean you see it when you see that spacious parking lot that is secure and you are able to park your car head right in and the head right back out.
Speaker 1: Because we know how Edo is.
Speaker 8: We know that a lot of times, Hey meet me down here, nah Man, parking is gonna be hard. Not the case at jbar M Barbecue. And then you see it even more. Then you smell it as soon as you walk in the door. You know there is that delicious brisket right there, the jalapeno cheddar sausage.
Speaker 1: Sean.
Speaker 8: I mentioned a couple other things on the menu that have been catching my eye that I really want to check out next time I'm in there.
Speaker 1: The brisket burger.
Speaker 8: How about even those pretzel bites with that caso dip to go along with it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'll just say this before we go did If I was you, I'd try it all. I mean, if you go in there three or four times, get something different, and when you walk out of there, the hardest choice you'll make is not whether you're coming back or not. It's like, well, damn, I liked all four of them, So yeah, try it all. Because we had that platter where it's a bunch of different stuff and I can't tell you right now what my favorite is because there's too many of them.
Speaker 8: Hey you hurd, Sean, tell you twenty two oh one Leland Street right there in Edo, it's jbar M Barbecue. Go check them out for lunch today, dinner, tonight, anytime this weekend. Heck, anytime, great time to go to jbar and Barbecue right there in Ito. The seven ninety listener line here in the nine o'clock hour is presented by one eight hundred car Cash.
Speaker 1: Sean. We're supposed to have Chris Gordy right now.
Speaker 8: And remember the really loud guy I told you about, you know, earlier in the week, and maybe I sent you guys a video of them.
Speaker 1: You remember that guy? Yeah? Does ring any bells? Well?
Speaker 8: Anyway, Gordy's doing an interview with him right now, so I guess he just lost track of time.
Speaker 1: But we'll catch up with Gordy here in just a little bit. But while we're.
Speaker 8: Waiting on him, did you see that Deep Portnoy might be part of Big Noon kickoff for Fox?
Speaker 2: I did, Well, I think that.
Speaker 9: I mean they've talked about not only signing him to be part of it, but also taking Barstool content and putting on Fox's platform.
Speaker 2: So I don't think it might be.
Speaker 9: I think it's a foregone conclusion that they he and their group at Barstool are going to have a different added platform two uh, not only to their platform but at it and Eyes and Visuals. But I think Portnoy will probably be joining Urban Meyer and mark Ingram and and h Brady Quinn and Matt Liinert. And I still think though, isn't the hostile Rob Rob Stone. I think that's the group Stone so that no, he's Reggie Bush hasn't been on it for he wasn't on it last year either. Mark Ingram took over for him. Oh you Blue Bush's Bush hasn't been on and this will be year two.
Speaker 2: I think maybe year three, but year two for sure.
Speaker 9: So out of that group, you know, you know, you know the message they're trying. They're trying to have a Pat McAfee type guy on that set. Now, I don't know the extent of it. Will he be throughout the whole show or will it just be bits and pieces where he's in the audience going around?
Speaker 2: You know what will he do?
Speaker 9: But you know, Barstools built something pretty big and Porto's Portnoy's at the forefront of it, so good on him, and uh, if they're gonna I'm sure to see if it works. And uh, I'm anxious to see how it does because they got a big dog to chase and that that that Countdown Show or should I say Countdown that Game Day show is pretty impressive. But you know what, you're trying to close the gap of competition, and they'll see if Barstool and Portnoy came. Good on Barstool, They've they've made an impact and they've got a lot of following, and Portnoy obviously, and you'll get what they love is that you're going to get the you're going to get the hate and you're going to get the love for him, which is in truth what you want. You want somebody you want to watch because you dislike it, and you want to watch because you like it. You can't have everybody loving it because people will just take it for granted.
Speaker 2: You've got to have both.
Speaker 9: In Portnoy is a light you drive for that and uh isn't a shy of an opinion, and it's built something pretty good and special at at barstool.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And you know, the the advantage that College Game Day has is they've got pretty much all throughout the country. It's hey, where do we want to go? Next week? We'll go to Ohio State. Hey to where we want to go? The following week, we'll go to Alabama you or you know, go to Notre Dame whoever it is whereas Big newt kickoff. It's pretty much is it a Big ten school? And that's where they'll go. So, I mean, I think that's something else that they kind of fight uphill against College Game Day on.
Speaker 9: It's a bigger production, they spend more on it, they've been doing it longer. It's tough to it's tough to close that gap. Although I think Fox has as a good group, it's just the entertainment. There's just a different level. It's it's a it's a hill to climb, but you know what, there's room for more than one and Fox has proven that and they've got good, strong opinion, but it's a trying to unseat that group. And look at the names Herb Street Star, Pat McAfee star, Nick Saban Starr, Rhys Davis is good a host and and traffic cop on a pregame show, Is There Is on a Planet? Desmond Howard Star. They're loaded. They're just freaking loaded. So it's fun competition and I think it's good for Fox to experiment with it and see where it goes, because you know you're gonna have eyes and visuals there and it's a good platform to extend their brand. And obviously Fox, which you saw the changes this week with them dropping three show after show after show and moving talent on. They're looking for a kick in the ass and the guy who hired all those shows is no longer the executive is no longer there, so they're trying to upgrade it. And it's a good place to start because of not only name value. But because the optics that barstool brings.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it does seem like there is a little bit of a renovation going on over there at Fox Sports FS one, and that's part of their network.
Speaker 1: But if you want to.
Speaker 8: Weigh in on the conversation, you can do so seon one three two, one, two five seven ninety. Conrad James wants to hop in at James. What's going on?
Speaker 20: Yeah, and it's always a pleasure. Again, I willow gentlemen. Also, I tacked my grandkids to the Satin and Rangers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we're gonna put you.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Conrad, he he has a different Yeah.
Speaker 13: He just wants to know what you guys think about cutting Lance mccolors.
Speaker 1: Is it time to let him go?
Speaker 9: And by the Conrad James, we just you kept cutting in and out. That's why we're not trying to get you off for any time purposes. We just we can't hear you. Go ahead, Dan, if you want to.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 9: I think you have to visit what the future is with Lance mccolors. But I think the teaser is about every other start and he's given you something really good, and then he's given you something at home that hasn't been good.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I don't know if they're going to DFAM. I wouldn't think they're going to. I don't think they can afford to right now. When it comes to arms. I think depth wise they have to. Now, who knows moving forward, I don't think they're there yet. I don't know about you, Dan, but I'm gonna say that you're not prepared. That they're not prepared, especially with it if everybody was healthy, I don't know, maybe you'd consider trying to move him. But they quite frankly need the arm, but you also need the road Lance mccolors at home, that's the guy you got to get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's two. I don't thinks you just mentioned.
Speaker 8: I mean the depth part of it of really needing him, but also the you know part of how he's been on the road.
Speaker 1: He's actually been incredibly.
Speaker 8: Good some one or if I'm not mistaken, on the road this year, but he's not been great at home. I would say that if you were looking at a clock of is it at midnight for your decision to go ahead and send him packing, you're at about ten o'clock right now, Like I don't. I don't think that you're that far away from it. But you're also not that close away from making that decision because I mean, I think that you've already sunk cost in a couple of other guys. Do you really want to do that with a third guy that you're paying to not be part of your team. Or if you do DFAM and somebody else takes him on, I mean, you probably still have to believe you're you're taking on a huge amount of that money. So I just I think for the other reasons you just mentioned, that's what went outs first and foremost. But no, I don't see that much.
Speaker 9: And I don't think you're for the money he's making. In the injury history and what you've seen, the inconsistency, I don't think right now that there'd be a whole lot of people stand in line to trade for him and that salary. So the df if you were going to so the best option of the three right now considering health. But if he was fully healthy, he had eight starters and the money, well you're not gonna train, but you thought, well, you know what, we're gonna pay him anyway, because it's baseball, you would probably have to consider that at least it would be something you would talk about. But I don't think they're there yet for those reasons that we just mentioned.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and those are the reasons that went out and another chance for us to be able to catch up with Chris Gordy here at SEC Media Days, he wrapped up his interviews, so he's gonna hang out with us for the final segment, Shawn, So we'll do that here as me and him wrap up. Are part of the week from here in Atlanta, But we'll do that right here. It is a Seawn Salisbury Show, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 9: Men's t Clintic, men'st clinic dot Com. How are you feeling? I'm talking to the fellows out there trying to figure out where you are. How's that brain fog? How's your energy? How's your sex life at home? Is Mama happy? Are you happy? How's the irritability when you well, when you're not doing the things that you want to be doing at home and you just don't have the energy, or you're feeling a little soft and don't get in the weight room. You're all the vitality you're looking for, it's just not there. Maybe it was in the past. Maybe it wasn't in twenty twenty four, maybe twenty twenty five. You made a resolution to get to the gym, and you're like, I just don't feel it.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 9: If we know the conflict low testosterone, let's go figure it out and get the answers to the test, which would be draw a little blood, know the results it's non invasion by the end of the day at Men's Tea Clinic and then get to fix in it at Men's T Clinic. And that means you know whatever it is you're looking for the pe shots sexual wellness, full body wellness, wellness optimization for a business it's been in business eleven years, celebrating their eleven year anniversary and change in lives. Do you like being in quicksand and not being able to well do the things you want to do at home or anywhere else? Or would you prefer to feel great, have energy and say I can overcome anything life changing Men's T Clinic. It's MEN'ST Clinic dot com. Get out of lower gear. Why would you stay stuck in that when it's real simple. The conflict is low testosteron The answer well is getting it fixed yep. Low testosterone can be handled by Men's TA Clinic, the very best in the business, changing lives every day. It's MEN'ST Clinic dot Com. It's wellness optimization. It's exactly what you need now to get yourself going. If it is, just make that call or get into MEN'ST Clinic dot Com. It's MEN'ST Clinic dot Com.
Speaker 5: This is the Sean Salisbury Show sales.
Speaker 2: That's goodiful.
Speaker 1: He's Chris Gordy. Gordy.
Speaker 8: I don't know if you heard when we had scoring on with us Matt Moscona, but Seawan had asked him who he believes is the best team in college football this year, and he kind of struggled in terms of he threw out some names, but he wasn't necessarily committed to anyone.
Speaker 1: Is that what the twenty twenty five college football season is? I think it is.
Speaker 16: I think it's wide open. You know, Sean and I have talked about it for a couple of weeks. Who's who's the best team? I mean, you know, Ohio State won the national championship and they they lose a ton off that team, They're still.
Speaker 1: Gonna be really good.
Speaker 16: They're still gonna be loaded but you know, Clemson's loaded in the ACC. I think a lot of these SEC teams are loaded. So yeah, it does feel like one of those years. And the playoffs has changed the dynamic too. I mean, you could have a team you think is the best team, make the playoff and be one and done. Allah Oregon, I mean the Oregon hype every year. I'm like, yeah, great Oregon, when are you gonna do something? Dan Landing, I mean, no offense, but like you know, keep hearing how great Dan Lanning is and he's top recruiting classes and all this, but go win something. I mean, when Oregon gets hyped up every year and then falls falls short. So I don't know, But but Sean the highlight of the day so far. I don't know why they saved Missouri's Eli Drinkwitz for the last day here at media days. He should have been the first day. Gets up at the podium and says, I'm not going to answer any questions about the Epstein file. So that was quite a way to start SEC Media Day Day four.
Speaker 9: Well, I think they probably time it because at the beginning, everybody's pumped anyway, so you don't really care the guys that they're just running him out.
Speaker 2: At the end.
Speaker 9: You guys have been working, you're all tired, and it's like, well, let's bring this guy in for a little bit of red bull into our veins and bam, there you go right off the start. I love it and I love him, and man does he do a great job with the program. And Gordian and Dan along with this and talking about who the best team is and you guys can respond to this, and Matt had kind of alluded to it too. Think about the good teams in the country, and I'll expand this, think about the good teams in the country that lost quarterbacks. Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia. You start to go through teams that have lost even Texas now start to go so winning down. I guess my point is not saying these teams are going to win the national title, but if you're sitting on the fence, start to look around at the teams who kept their coordinator or kept their head coach, but also have that veteran LSU I'm talking about when push comes to shop Leonora's sellers. That is good South Carolina team Jackson Dart gone at Ole Miss. So there's a problem. Then you start to take a look at around the country those guys who have a veteran quarterback that's been in it. So if you're sitting on the fence and saying, well, who, I don't know if those teams can win it, but you can do a lot worse than having a team that's got a veteran quarterback that's a top ten, top fifteen team, because like the Sellers of the world and the Nuts Smyers of the world are at a different level, and a lot of the quarterbacks so I think there's a lot The biggest question in college football this year is which quarterback can elevate his good team and which one's going to fall off Gordy.
Speaker 16: And that's the thing. There's so many quarterbacks that are different stages of that.
Speaker 9: And Club Nicket at Clemson two, who I think is fantastic.
Speaker 2: That's a good advantage team that can the whole thing.
Speaker 16: And we're gonna see two of those guys week one. Lsu A Clemson. We got to see not Smart versus Club Nick that those might be your your two Heisman favorites right there outside of arch Well when we get to see what he does. But I'll tell you this Seoan. I got to sit down with the DJ Lagway yesterday.
Speaker 2: You know, the willis special kid.
Speaker 16: Oh my God, like standing next to him, he's huge, he's I mean, he is the He has the body of an NFL quarterback already, and then he's got a baby face to go with it. And you go, God, check back in with this kid in two years and tell me where he is. I mean, it's literally and I goes goes back, Sean. I was talking to a national guy on the on the field at the Cotton Bowl as they're watching Arch Manning warm up. Guy says, you know what, there's gonna be a lot of hype about him for the number one NFL draft pick, obviously with.
Speaker 1: The Manning name.
Speaker 16: But what if I told you the twenty twenty sixth draft he goes number two because DJ Lagways number one.
Speaker 9: Gordy, real quick, I know we got to get rolling here. But Dan and you are one hundred percent correct. A couple of years ago, maybe well it was a few years more than a couple. I had him when he was in high school a camp. He was in my group at the camp, so they gave to me because I coached the high school kids, and the boss of the camp said, keep it eye of this guy. They said, well, tell us what you think about this guy. And I didn't know him.
Speaker 1: He was yelling.
Speaker 9: He was like a sophomore I think, or a freshmer sophomore going into his junior year, sophomore year. And I said, okay, big kids didn't say much. And after about two drills, I looked over and said, you wanted who the best one in the group is that guy? And he'd only throw like fifteen passes and it was DJ Lagway, phenomenal kid, two ears in one mouth and used him accordingly, he's special and he's different, and right now, just on body type and performance alone, he is a top type pick in this draft. He's a special kid with a special skill set.
Speaker 16: Well, he'll visit with us at six o'clock tonight, right here on seven night.
Speaker 1: You don't want to miss that.
Speaker 16: Hey, Astro's back in action tomorrow night. Make sure you're stocked up on Crawford back from our friends at Carbock Brewing. Astro's getting ready for the home stretch, run down the stretch of the season. Make sure you got plenty of Crawford from Carbock Browing.
Speaker 1: You heard the man. He's Chris Gordy Sean.
Speaker 9: Solid stuff, guys. Good job this week by all both of you guys. Thank you you too much.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it. Buddy.
Speaker 8: It'll be good to have the band back together tomorrow, because we will talk to you in twenty hours right here on The Shawn Salisbury Show, The Matt Thomas Show with Ross coming up next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety