Speaker 1: Thank you very much, John Shannon. It is six SOZH five here Kentucky in his morning news Coffee and company with you Nick Coffee. That is me and the full crew is here. You just heard John Shannon. Scott will be back with sports coming up in about twenty minutes. And of course the company man himself, mister John Olden alongside today. So the suspect, who I guess the suspect is unknown. There's still images from some surveillance footage or maybe it's I'm not even sure if it's that, or if it's from cell phone video. Whatever it is, you could it's everywhere. You can check it out on wlky dot com. The I mean, I hate even calling it a photo. It is that because you can't see much. But the individual who shot and killed a young woman yesterday is still at large, so just be aware of that. And this is where I don't I don't want to mock it or sound insensitive, but as I tell you that, I'm thinking, well, yeah, there's a lot of people who murdered someone in Louisville that are roaming our streets because there's so many unsolved murders. And I'm not I'm not going out of my way to take a shot at the inability to close these cases. Clearly it is a big deal, but this guy is one of many. Now again, he's probably in a state of mind that well, if you're somebody that has at this point gotten away with murder, I'm not sure what your state of mind is. But nonetheless, just be advised because not only is he dangerous, this is also someone who you know, we want to see held accountable and arrested. So, yeah, just an awful day in Louisville yesterday overall, and two more shootings took place yesterday that took two lives here in Louisville since the school bus stop shooting. So we'll keep you updated as best we can. But obviously that'll be a big talking point throughout throughout the day here and probably just for the foreseeable future to a certain extent, because yes, it is not uncommon to turn on the news, turn on this station, pop open the social media app and see a new story about someone in Louisville being a victim of gun violence and maybe dying. It's just it's not uncommon at all. In fact, it's fairly common. It'd be a rarity to have a few days where that didn't happen, right, So this isn't new. However, the last week has just seemingly been and I wouldn't even here for a good stretch of that week, meaning I was I didn't get back to town until Sunday. But it just feels like right now there's been more. Again. I keep wanting to use the word awareness, but that's not really it doesn't feel like that's the exactly word. This is where I do, in fact struggle sometimes with the English language because I just think there's a heightened awareness of wow, this is this place has gotten like really really bad off when it comes to violence. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm just viewing it from my own perspective, but yeah, it's just been a You go back to the initial school bus stop shooting. Now two juveniles fifteen year olds have been charged after somebody was charged yesterday and added an added suspect that's been charged, and then of course the Friday situation where there was a home invasion, abduction, robbery, all that with the family that was just gone went through a tre experience, and then yesterday once again, another shooting at a school bus stop and it's just it's it's awful. It really is. I'll tell you what else is awful, this heat and this humidity. I was thinking about it yesterday as I was waiting impatiently for my vehicle to cool up. I've got real good ac in my car. I mean, I take pride in that. In fact, I will nothing. Nothing satisfies me more than whenever I have somebody that i'm that I'm that's riding with me in my vehicle for for whatever reason, and they compliment, Man, very c works good. I'm like you, damn right, it does because I and I have no I have no uh. I can't claim any any credit for it. It's just I guess I'm lucky. But yesterday, when I was leaving the gym, probably because I was hot, I just worked out, not that you can't tell. It took a while for me to to get the car at least feeling like it was giving me any cold air. That was that was relieving how hot I was. And I just thought, you know what, I hate August, and I realized August is I never thought about it, but August is the worst month of the year in my opinion. Have you ever given that thought, John, Oh, it is. It is, so you're not. So I'm not alone here because.
Speaker 2: It's not even just for the heat. But it feels like you've been deprived. And this is more of a sports take, but you've been deprived from football for so long and you're right on the cusp of it beginning again. It just makes it feel like it goes on forever for whatever reason.
Speaker 1: So yes, I've always viewed it from the from the sports side of things, because we've done enough of the off season talking season football stuff and we're we're so close, but yet we're not. We are actually close, but it doesn't seem like it because again, we've already done the off season chatter, and you really know, if you're a big sports fan, that this is it's about to get in gear here, right, It's about to get going to where you got college football, then you've got the NFL, then you got college basketball, and clearly those three things, specifically for us here in this region, that's that's what dominates interest. So that's exciting, and we've been waiting long enough and now we're here, but let's get to the finish line quickly. So yes, I've always viewed it from that perspective. However, also with even if you're somebody that likes summer weather and the winner, can you at least compromise with fall, Like I think you can look forward to fall. And maybe you're somebody that hates the winner so much that you hate the fall because it actually means you're closer to the winner. I love the fall. I actually think you could make the case that. Well, again, everybody has their own opinions. I think fall is the best season for a variety of reasons. Weather's more comfortable, it's usually pretty beautiful outside, and sports is up and running really everywhere when it comes to college basketball getting started and of course the NFL college football. So yeah, in my worst months of the year rankings, August is at the top right now, and I don't I don't see any real competition and.
Speaker 2: Put all summer months in the top three. If I'm being honest, I thought you liked summer. No, I mean, I like my wife being off work, but I cannot deal with the humidity the same way that you can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're alike you and I, So in fact, let's do this on the other side. I'll give you a quick update there is a you gov survey that came out earlier this year that tells us which months Americans like the most in which ones they dislike the most. So we'll take a look at that. We'll see how rare our opinions are. Here, Ari, we've got another update of trafficking weather coming your way right here, right now. And I hope you stick with us. Why would you not? It's to Kentucky at his morning news Coffee and company right here on news Radio eight forty whas, six seventeen here at Kentucky and his morning news Coffee and company with you news Radio eight forty whas. So I'm telling you August is in a field by itself when it comes to being my least favorite month. And I thought, okay, am I in the minority here, and I'm not John Olden. He also says he's out on August. The hell with August. Get it out of here, just remove it. Tell just give us fifteen more days of July and fifteen more days of September and will act like August doesn't exist. That's what I would prefer, but I know that won't happen. However, you Gov gives us a really detailed survey here as far as the favorite and least favorite months in America, and they do it by all adults. You can then pick by region, gender, and age. So the regions are tough because what are we We're not Midwest, and that's a different conversation for a different day. Because I do believe that we are. We're probably not alone. There's other cities that also kind of feel like they don't have a home. As far as being Northeast, Midwest, South, or West, we are probably closer to I don't know, man.
Speaker 2: I think we're technically the gateway to the South once you cross the Ohio.
Speaker 1: River because we have more i think similarities to the South than we do the Midwest. But we really don't comfortably fit in either.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I think that's fair.
Speaker 1: But I would say, like northern the northern Kentucky, I would say is way more identifiable with the Midwest than they are the South. However, you get like south of Louisville, I would say you definitely identify more with the South. So again we got a mixed bag. But anyways, as far as all adults your favorite month of the year, we'll start with favorite than least favorite. We we're we're I mean, we're pretty normal here. You've got October is the leading vote getter, really, yeah, October, and then you've got May and June, and yeah, May and June. I'm sorry, it is October, and then December, followed by May and June as a tie for third. After that you've got April, and then you know, the others just don't have enough votes to where they really crack it. You know, it's hard to say that. They're like they got barely any votes compared to the others. Now, the least favorite all adults, the least favorite month, let's see here, is January. And I get that because that's just when Christmas is passed. You're really if you're in, if you're in the where the winners are terrible, then I'm sure you dread it and hate it. And then after that you've got February. But January, by the way, is the he's the leader among months as far as the one that Americans like the least. And then after that you've got a close battle for second. But February has the slight edge five followed by August, so it's in the top three overall all adults. Across the entire United States. So and then from there, some people don't like December. I mean, shame on you. I hope you get no Christmas presents if that's the case, because December is really one of my favorite months. So let's do it by real let's do it by age. So least favorite month by age. If you are between let's see, we're we're in the same level here, thirty through forty four. That's you and I both actually know. I'm sorry thirty almost. I was just talking to John Shannon, how I cannot believe how young you are. So you're eighteen to twenty nine, and for you, the least favorite is January, and that was the leader overall. So I feel like every age range that's going to be In fact it is every age range has has the leader being January.
Speaker 2: I really don't hate January.
Speaker 1: Well again, I think it's because of our culture, because we love college basketball. I mean, it's just something the height of it right there. We get so like it's such we care about it. And this sounds silly, I know, but we care about college basketball more than anybody in it's a if you're a big fan, like you know, Okay, we've got a weekday game, we got a Saturday game. So everything that typically would be unlikable about January, cold weather, Christmas coming to an end, it getting dark at five pm. Sometimes you get distracted by that to an extent because you have something that you enjoy, like college hoops.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: We don't have that at exactly. So yeah, there you go. As far as the yeah, let's see here. As far as the most favorite. As far as age, the leader for your age range was December, and the same thing for me. So actually, no, I'm sorry for me. It's October, so we we're not alike there.
Speaker 2: I'd probably go with April or May. Springs my favorite year.
Speaker 1: Springs beautiful, no doubt. All Right, we've got an update of tfficing weather coming your way. Scot's back with another update on sports as we roll along here on news radio eight forty whas. Thank you very much. John. It is six thirty six at Kentucky in this morning news Coffee and Company. That's us. My name's Nick Coffee. The full cruise here, John, All in the long side you just heard John Shannon. Scott will be back with another sports update coming up in about twenty minutes, you are about four minutes away from your next update on traffic and weather. And maybe it's just me, but I feel like the biggest the time in the morning where I get up and start my commute, which is very early, I would say compared to most but I could be wrong, but the roadways tell me that I'm not wrong. So usually I'm on the road by about four am, three thirty. Between three thirty and four am, what I've noticed though, is that I don't need to get here as early as as I have been initially, so that's actually giving me a chance to sleep in a little bit longer than I was in the first few weeks. But but I'm getting I think the emptiness that is there when school is not in session is really noticeable. And it's not like we've got rush hour traffic at four am, but man, there's a lot of people on the roadway now compared to what it was previously, which again is just a reminder of how many people in in this city are. Their day starts with some type of when they start their day is somehow a factor of what JCPS does, because maybe they work for the school system, maybe they have to get their kids somewhere super early because they've got to get them in childcare to then get on the bus. So everybody's situation is different. But yeah, these last couple of days now that really everybody is back to school, busier roadways, so again that could mean that we could have more traffic issues. So we'll get an update on traffic coming your way in about two and a half minutes here from Bobby Elli's. Also another update on the forecast with Matt Melosovich of WLKY. So when it comes to the news currently from yesterday, well, the current update on the yesterday's news at the school bus stop where a woman was shot and fatally killed, her identity is yet to be released. However, there are many loved ones friends that have shared social media posts and they're calling she I guess she goes up goes by the name Juicy. That is the name that Pia friends say their friend known as Juicy was. You know, friends are confirming, family members are confirming that in fact, that is who was shot and killed. So the identity has yet to be released. I'm sure that'll happen here soon. But yeah, there's still a suspect at large here because the fifteen year old that they took into custody yesterday at Shawne High School ended up not being the suspect, which is good news that it wasn't a fifteen year old kid. But if we find out that it is in fact a minor, I'm not going to be shocked by any means, So be on the lookout. The pictures are everywhere when it comes to the local news, and obviously you can see it on our social media pages here at eight forty whas as well as woky dot com. And hopefully they can find this suspect sooner rather than later. But when it comes to the violent crime that is either juveniles that are the victims or they're the perpetrators, clearly that has become a real big issue. It's not that it's new. I mean last year. In fact, I think up until June June of this time last year there was actually more violent crime involving juveniles, which was surprising to a lot of people. But either way, it's an issue at any level. Right if it happens once, it's an issue. I don't want to make light of it like, oh yeah, we'll do a few of those juvenile murders. We'll do bad. No, I mean, I'm just any time it happens, it's bad. But like right now, I feel like there's more awareness of it than ever, and it's just because it's not getting any better, right and I really can't get over the fact that we just don't have anything in place that will actually get these violent people off the streets. Yeah, they're kids, some of them as young as like thirteen years old, but they're also violent. They're a threat, and there's also a level of being that young and naive ignorant to the world. To me, it adds an element of you being more scary to me. You know, you don't really know what you're doing, meaning like you're not you're not you're clearly not thinking your life through, knowing that you're making decisions that could cost you your life in a variety of ways. You could die, or you could end up in prison, or maybe you won't end up in prison. Because when it comes down to it, like some of these people that are committing violent crimes that are that are children under eighteen years of age, and I suppose it depends on what level of crime they committed. They're just being held until somebody can come and get them, and that is not only not the right way to go, it's just fueling the world of violent crime in Louisville. Because if you don't think that these juveniles are being led into this lifestyle by gang members, I mean, not every situation is the same, but I mean look at some of these, like the carjacking situations that's taken place in recent years. I mean that has been tied to Again, not every situation is the same. Where they're working. I mean they're they're they're young gang members. I guess just doing that, doing the dirt that that the others don't want to do. They've got young, stupid kids that'll do it for them. And it gives these kids who have no parents at home, nobody that's ever probably made them feel as if they have any worth or any value, and now they found somewhere where they feel like they belong. And unfortunately it's with a violent gang where they're committing violent crime, and that it's just it's a cycle that some's got to give, and I think that something is start incarcerating these children for their own good and for the good of this city. And as we discussed a couple of days ago, it's at the state level. The state has to take initiative and get the ball rolling here to get this process started. And when that happens, I don't know. I've got some theories as to why they don't seem real concerned about it, and we'll talk about that coming up here next. Again, your next update of trafficking weather's right here right now on news Radio eight forty whas a couple of minutes away from your next update on traffic and weather, so stick around for that. Sorry for my poor clock management so far today. I'll do better. In fact, I have. I've had to do better with the change here to has. But this will be a quick segment and I'll try to keep us on track the rest of the way to where we don't have, you know, two minute segments. That's on me. I'll do better. But when it comes to they're no longer being a juvenile attention center here in Louisville, and clearly they're never seemingly being a bigger need for one than right now. It's perplexing, right and at the state level, that's where the that's where the wheels got to get moving in order for that to actually happen. And it hasn't happened yet, and there's no real there's no real belief that there's any date set or a date that they're targeting. And it was counselman, Uh, I'm in my head now about Nogentini. I mean, I think and again I could see you could tell me. Once I get a name wrong, then I just I always second guess it if I'm getting it right, So I think it's Pa Agentini, but if it's not, I apologize to to this individual. But he was momentary minors. We played the sound earlier this week, and he was just he mentioned that specifically that there's just no there's nobody at the state level that's that's really making this a priority, and that's unfortunate. But one thing that hadn't really hit me until he he he brought it up. But it's so true. You know, what you're exposed to, what your environment is, that that has a big it's a big factor in just sort of your state of mind and like and you know you're in your own bubble to an extent, Well, if you're in Louisville every day wherever, wherever it may be, East End, West End, downtown, you know you're you're exposed to a world really that is different than the rest of the state of Kentucky. I mean, think about that, the vast majority of this state, they're not exposed to anything like we are here. And I don't mean just the violent crime, but a lot of things. I mean, Louisville is a is a big city, and there's really no comparison as far as a city that is the same size than Louisville. I mean, Lexington's a bigger city than the rest, but it's not close to Louisville as far as size. So when they're not when they when it's not their community and they're not waking up and living every day, going to work, sending kids to school, they're not thinking about the violent crime that takes place in Louisville and how a lot of it lately has been juveniles that are that are a part of it. So, you know, I don't know what we got to do to do to let them know. I mean, Basher's been in town for the Ford announcement, certainly for the ge And I mean I'm being tongue in cheek here as far as like does he know, clearly he knows, but like something needs to be done. There needs to be some kind of action taken because the current, the current arrangement where these juveniles really until they do take someone's life, they're not really held accountable as far as being incarcerated. That's that's benefiting those that really are the leaders of violent crime in Louisville, meaning gangs. All right, we've got an update of Travling the weather coming your way. Also another update on sports right here on news radio eight forty w h S