Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on de Man from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: The spirit of jazz vocal gymnast al Jiou has been revived in a rare lost live recording back from nineteen seventy six. The new album includes five songs never before on a live Durou recording, and it's titled Al Jiou Wow Live at the Child Herald in Washington, DC. In fact, it was Durou's first performance ever in DC, and the audio has been missing for the forty eight years since. It will be released on November twenty ninth, Yes Black Friday, as a limited edition to LP set at select independent record stores, but you can pre order it online now. Joining me to talk jazz and diro Is music journalist and musicologists.
Speaker 3: Hey Scott Galloway, Scott is good to see you. My friend has been way too long. How you been.
Speaker 4: I've been hanging in there, brother, and it's always a pleasure to hear and see you at the same time. I'm used to hearing you, but seeing you as an extra pleasure.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that my friend Algio wasn't just special as a singer. He was special as a musician, imitating instruments and providing a musical exchange with audiences that I would say most people didn't hear or had not heard before. In the times I met him, I never, and I mean never, did I see him without a smile. Yeah, he had this ever present joy about him. What were your personal memories of Algio the person?
Speaker 4: Oh man Al was just the warmest cat. He was a lot of fun. I had the honor of interviewing him the Delmonico Seafood House and Ensino for several hours man for his album Tomorrow Today, and it's one of the most incredible interviews I've ever had. I most particularly remember having him break down every lyric that he wrote for a song called Oh Remarking Me that was written by Jose Aweno and then heed it into a song called something that You Said, and for him to break down every single line of it because it was very metaphorical and poetic and win in so many directions. And he loved doing it because I don't think anybody had ever asked him to do anything like that before. And I just had a ball listening to him as a lyricist, you know, really breaking down lyricists. We all know that he was an incomparable singer, but just a really warm guy, a smart guy, a lot of humanity for the world, just an honor man. And I saw him a concert at least ten times, and it was always like Uncle Ale on stage, rocking it and bringing you good times, you know, just bringing the good times.
Speaker 2: It's interesting how you characterized him as a lyricist. I struggled to adequately describe the fullness of his abilities, his talents, his music. He was unique in that, at the height of his career he was receiving airplay across a variety of four me from jazz to R and B to pop stations. People learned of him at different times, in different points in his career.
Speaker 3: How did you first hear of him musically?
Speaker 4: I was over my friend Eric's house and his mother, Judy, had a wonderful record collection. She was the one that would have stuff like Ashford and Simpson and ROBERTA. Flack and other people, and she had the Algia live album Look to the Rainbow, and man, I mean that record. I mean I was always I was already into jazz and stuff. My parents had great had a great record collection as well, but we did not have Algio and that record was a two album set live in Europe, and I just felt like the hips kid on the planet getting into him doing things like take five, the great Dave Grupbek song, and all of his gymnastic vocals on that, you know, his mouth percussion and a whole solo of this acapella you know, mouth beats, you know, before the human and beat box, before hip hop, al was doing this thing, man, And then beautiful songs like We Got By, and particularly one called you Don't See Me, which is also on this new project, and it's one of the songs I was most interested in bringing to your attention because it's a song he recorded many times, but most people kind of never got it or you know, it wasn't ever really talked about in the press, and it's probably his most you know, militant socio political tune from a black man's point of view. You know, it's talked about you don't see Me. You know, I'm out here doing the best I can. I'm beating the pavement and you don't care. And so guess what, you know, I'm just going to flip the script, and it's kind of about how the seeds of gangsterism and crime and whatever well up and certain brothers in the hood because they haven't been seen, they haven't been given a chance. It's kind of like a chin to songs like Little Child Running Wild from Superfly or The Whispers had a song that was also along the same lines. But most people think about Bro like you said, moonlighting and they're in this love together and mourning, and you know, they think of him as his great jazz vocalist of that. But when he wrote his own material, a lot of it was very deep. And that particular song is on the new project. It's on originally from his album, his very first album, We Got By. He did it on Look to the Rainbow. He did it again on Tenderness Like. He never let that song leave his live performances in Cannon, but for whatever reason, it never got a lot of focus. I definitely want to point your listeners in the direction of that particular song. The album has love songs, it has a lot of fun things on it, and you get to hear Al sing al on stage and just personable, good humored guy. But I definitely direct people to the song you Don't See Me. It'll be eye opening for a lot of people, and I think it's super relevant once again with what we have going on and about to go on in this country.
Speaker 2: I will play that as the bumper as the lead into our next segment. But Scott, I wonder if you perceive the fullness of his career as I do with all of that that you said, I think it lends credence what I'm about to allege that al Jiau, despite all of his acclaim, despite how the world loved him musically, I felt that he never got his just due as an artist for the fullness of his talent, career and contributions. Would you agree with that anyway?
Speaker 4: Oh, I'd absolutely agree. There are very few people, I mean, there are people out there that do get that breath in depth because you know, you start off doing cover material James Taylor and again to Dave Brubak piece and all that, but he was always doing original material and his material spanned from pop to blues, through gospel, tanged to He is most often considered to be a jazz musician, but he's really not. He's just somebody that incorporated jazz in a very fluid and proactive way in his music. But his music had some of everything in it. And because of that, I think he touched a lot of different niches, but there's very few people that just have really absorbed a wail of what that brother was about. Just an incredible, all around original, one of a kind musician.
Speaker 3: If you just two to get.
Speaker 2: My guest right now is a Scott Galloway, Music journalists, musicologists. We're talking about the new release of Algio Wow Live at the Child Herald in Washington DC. It'll be released Black Friday as a limited edition to LP set at select independent record stores, but you can preorder it online now more with a Scott Galloway at just a moment.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI A six forty.
Speaker 2: My guest right now a Scott Galloway, as we talk about this new posthumous release of Algio, which is titled Algiou Wow Live of the Child Herald in Washington, d C. It's been uncovered after some forty eight years and includes new songs covers of some hit songs. Scott, let's get into that. Take me to Washington, d C. And I know, and you know, Washington, d C. Is obviously best known for politics, but it's also had a vibrant music and jazz scene. I know that first dand but it struck me that this performance of Algio was his first in Washington, DC. And I think he was around thirty six at the time. Why do you think, and there's no way to know, but why do you think it took him so long to make his way to DC.
Speaker 4: Well, he's from Milwaukee and he moved from there to California, where he had a very slow burning rise up through the ranks of recognized. He played a club out in Los Angeles, actually in the San Fernando Valley called the Black Black Cafe kind of set up there and he was playing, you know, once a week. He had a residency, and you know, he just really started there and his music was very grassroots, so he didn't initially once he got signed to Warner Brothers, he wasn't getting to do a whole lot of traveling because his records didn't warrant the sales. You know, they're trying to figure out what to do with them. They knew they had a talented cat, but they didn't quite know exactly how to promote him and get him heard. So it's through the radio station. I think it was WHYZ, but also have to say that the Quiet Storm station most likely had something to do with it as well. Was WHR. Howard University. They you know, you have a cosmopolitan kind of an audience in that area and people that are arts oriented and people that are open minded and into new things, and it was a natural kind of peach dish for an artist, a black man from Milwaukee who's doing, you know, cover material of James Taylor in a soulful way and also writing songs and as a little gospel and little R and B and little jazz in the mid seventies when you know, there are aspects of the country that are coming together a little bit more, a little more unity, a little more being into what's going on the other sides of the fences. I was like the perfect artist to blossom in that kind of environment. And he was conscious, but he was also artful, and he was also you know, I think he just had an appeal as an artist that everybody could get into because he wasn't threatening, but he also wasn't a pushover.
Speaker 2: I got the sense when I met him and talk with him. I was at Warner Brothers a little bit after him, but we were still cross paths here and there. I got the sense that there was a degree my word, of resentment that he was not more widely embraced in a radio sense.
Speaker 3: Did you get that sense as well?
Speaker 4: I absolutely did. I mean, this era that we're talking about is kind of the golden beginning era of algia where he's his grassroots artist. But as time went on and he was on Warner Brothers, he really did. I mean, he literally told me and other people he wanted to be and felt that he deserved to be as big as Michael Jackson. He wanted to be on that level, you know, And him being in the weird of the world sessions with Quincy Jones is a whole nother story. But I mean, in that place, man, I'm sure he was loving it, but also very nervous because Quince he put him right there. You're right there with Bob Billon, You're right there with Tina Turner, You're right there with Lionel all the big people of the day. And he was an anomaly, you know, because people were still looking at him as a jazz musician, and the early fans, some of them kind of resented, you know. You get you know, the fans that like you certain way, and they might have felt he got too commercial and he got tupop and he has videos on MTV and BET and VH one more likely more VH one be et and it's like, you're getting away from the jazz, You're getting away from the adult music that we really like from you, you know. But at heart, Al always had an identity issue. You know. There were audiences that really looked at him as a jazz artist, but his heart was way bigger and it didn't always sit well with him that people wanted him to just go back and be that guy that he started off as. He really had superstar aspirations and that's why his music took the changes that it did, and it they did him a larger audience, but of course he never became as big as the others. He was a platinum seller and a multi Grammy winner, but I think at the end of the day, by the end of his career, he was back to doing pretty much jazz material, working with jazz bands, big bands, classical orchestras in that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: In my introduction, as we go to this next commercial break, I indicated or introduced him as a jazz vocalist. But I never wanted to undersell what he did. But that's most often the reference point people have for Algiou, So A Scott Galloway. When we come back, let's get into this new two LP set titled Algiou Wow Live at the Child Harold in Washington DC.
Speaker 3: Can you do that for me, sir?
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty KFI.
Speaker 2: Mo Kelly here with A Scott Galloway as we talk about the late al Giau, his musical contributions and obviously how he was I would say underappreciated. But some of that is about to change, as there is a new uncovered recording titled Algiau Wow Live at the Child Harold in Washington, DC, his live set recorded some forty eight years ago. Well now seeing and hearing the light of day. It will be released officially black Friday as a limited edition two LP set at select independent record stores. Music journalists and musicologists. A. Scott Galloway has been joining me since the top of the hour. We're talking about the life, career and legacy of Algio. Now, Scott, let's get into Algiou Wow Live at the Child Herald in Washington, d C. Give us some context as to why this album is and what it is.
Speaker 4: Okay, this album is very important. Wow Live at the Child Herald is important because it is a live recording that document him just at the week of release of his second album Blow. He's in Washington, d C. He's got a new an audience that's really curious about him and everything, and he's had two albums and this record, you know, it shows somebody really incredible just at that percolating about to take off period, which is super important. But in the case of al Gireau, what we've all learned over the years is that his records were one thing, but seeing him live was another. And to hear the material that he is doing in this concert, with the reprotee that he has and the vibe that he gets and develops with the audience, it's just really special. I mean, his next official album, after Blow, which is the one that he was throwing for at the time, was a live record and he was before a much bigger audience in Europe. But this one captures him two years earlier, actually about just a little over a year earlier, and he's developing all the things that became special. You hear some of the editing that happened with him later, where he was refining things. Here on Wow, it's more raw. You hear him working things out that would become staples of his act. His balancing act of all different styles of music, is balancing act of humor and social commentary, is balancing act of R and B and pop and all that jazz. And it's just him with a trio. Tom Canning is the keyboard player that he brought with him from Los Angeles. They got two pickup musicians on bass and drums, and they just we're just going to town. Man. It's like hearing somebody just about to truly be born. It's just like nothing that you're going to hear. If you're an algi Ro fan already, you're going to be thrilled to hear this. And if you haven't really gotten into him before, they're going to be like, wow, you know, this is a raw document of something amazing that was just about to break on the bubble.
Speaker 2: You have covered music, and I'm not going to limit you to any genre, but you've covered music for the better part of forty years?
Speaker 3: Is that fair to say?
Speaker 4: Yes, I've been in the music industry since nineteen eighty two and I've been writing about music music since eighty eight. And in between eighty two and eighty eight I worked at the Quiet Storm Kute in Los Angeles, which was you know, Algira was a core artist.
Speaker 2: Rush Qute one O two. I remember it well growing up. But my question is this, how does a music piece like this, How do the tapes disappear? How does someone not know that they're sitting around in someone's vault and then be able to restore it to a level of quality which can be released. How first, how could they lose it? And then how can they restore it?
Speaker 4: Well, this is an interesting case where I don't believe the tapes were actually lost. It was a radio broadcast and so it was and it happened to be recorded very well, and it happened because it was for broadcast, and then it was just kind of set aside, and it was not the kind of thing that anybody ever back in the day thought was going to be you know, released as a commercial viable product, you know, but you know, to the radio station and the venues, good credit, you know, it was something that was never wiped, never he raised. It was just set aside. And the story is that zeb Feldman, who's the producer of this project, uh and he's world famous as his nickname the Jazz Detective. He happened to have a conversation with Algero where al told him about the first time he played in Washington, DC and at the Child Herald and and what a great performance it was. And then Zev was having a conversation with someone else decades later. It happened to be someone that said, oh, yeah, we you know, we have I have a recording of that. You know, I was the engineer for that particular radio station at the time, and you know we still have the tapes. And Zev, a big Algio fan, you know, lost his mind. It was such a beautiful coincidence, such an incredible find, you know, for Ou to have mentioned that to him and then for him to meet this guy that actually has the tape. They didn't have to do a whole lot of fixing or digging or whatever. They really just had to deal with making sure that the rights were fine with the Alt d Row of State and with Warner Brothers, who he was signed to you at the time. Warner's you know, huge company. Now, I don't think they were necessarily just had to sign off on it. They it wasn't something they were going to try to claim. And it's perfect for it to be coming out through Residence Records and everything that Zev is doing because he's been covering everybody from Bill Evans to Wes Montgomery and all these other things that he's been so awarded and honored for finding these old tapes and everything. So it's perfect for this kind of a project to come out thro him because it's a little different for Zev, you know, mostly straight ahead jazz things he's done. This is an amazing crossover project that will have a broader appeal some of the more traditional jazz pieces that he's done.
Speaker 2: Well, we are all fortunate to have one more listen to the late great al Gireau. The project is titled While Live at the Child Herold in Washington, DC. It will officially be released on Black Friday as a limited edition to LP set at select independent record stores, but you don't have to wait. You can pre order it now online. I want to thank my guests, musicologists and music journalists. It's hard for me to choose what to call you, so I'll give you both titles. A Scott Galloway. I've known you for at least I want to say thirty years at this point, and absolutely I've never shied away at the opportunity to talk music with you. You love music arguably more than I do, and I love it a hell of a lot, so there was no one else I would want to have this conversation with than you.
Speaker 3: A Scott Galloway. Thank you for coming on.
Speaker 2: You've been on before many years ago, but I hope to have you on again in the future.
Speaker 4: I'm always here for you and it's always an honor my brother, much much respect.
Speaker 2: It's Later with mo Kelly caf I AM six forty live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty