Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Game Mess Mornings with Me Jeff Grub, your host from giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're going to be talking about a silent hill in every pot, and everyone but Mike loves Splatoon Raiders. It's gonna be a good one because we have Jeff Backler on the show.
Speaker 2: Jeff, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm doing well. I'm wearing the gaming shirt I got in my subscription box. It's super sick. Apparently Katamari Damassy is the thing I like and I but no, I'm kidding. I'm a diehard. Yeah, I'm og soon as again came.
Speaker 1: At first one like I was like, I gotta get this game. I have no idea really what it's going to be about, but uh yeah, right from the beginning I was there for Katamari.
Speaker 2: So I'm very excited about that shirt. Looking good.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you pal. I'm very happy to be here on Jeff Jeff's Games Morning.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah, I'm uh, I am.
Speaker 1: I played a little bit of Splatoon Raiders and now I'm like, I'm trying to wait and see if I'm gonna end up agreeing with Mike or we have a story here about doing very well with the user reviews. But that's what I have been playing since I got back. You've been playing anything back? Are you been checking in on any games this week?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been trying to convince myself that I should play more of Halo y same.
Speaker 2: Yes, Uh.
Speaker 3: If I could just insert a little aside here, I've been soft locked no less than four times now in this game because like, the war Hoog will get stuck on a rock or something, and then I can't get back into it. The game like, won't let me drive the war Hoog when it's like, you know, sort of split on something weird and I have to restart the checkpoint. Guess where the checkpoint was. It was right after my war Hoog got stuck, So I know, Yeah, it's happened. I'm not Joe, I shit you not. It happened twice last night, and I was like, what the fuck is going on? Yes, chat mechanize. I had to malay the shit out of my warhaw so that it moved a few frames off whatever collision was happening, so that it could detect the opportunity to enter and drive it again. Look I think, Yeah, I'm having an okay time with it. I feel bad about shooting grunts. We've talked about this, of course, but yeah, I don't know. I'm waiting for a couple other things to open up for me. But that's what I'm playing right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have not had those experiences yet, but definitely sounds a little bit like Halo.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'll probably stick with it for a.
Speaker 1: Little bit longer, but yeah, there's other games coming, and once those get in my purview here, I'll probably drop it. It's nothing, not like the game has any problems. I'm just not like overwhelmed with the emotions to play that game or something like.
Speaker 3: It's a rest stop game, you know what I mean. Right, I'm a little bill in there waiting for the tank to fill up and then I'm bouncing off this thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, Zacy Sacy says street Fighter two.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 1: I am imagining Ken coming out and just beating the shit out of the war Hug thinks it's.
Speaker 3: Kind of what I had to do. My other guys are like, what are you doing. I'm like, I gotta move this all right, I need the PCs like stop, don't do that.
Speaker 2: I'm not walking. Yeah, it's insane.
Speaker 1: All right, let's explain ourselves. We're giant Bomb. Go to giant bomb dot com slash join become a premium member. If you do, you are supporting independent games media. We're doing this thing, and we're doing it with your help if possible. We really appreciate everybody who has come through and supported us. It enables us to do all kinds of fun, cool stuff like the recent road trip, and we keep making premium content that is exclusive for you. If you want to get access to that, giant bomb dot com slash join become a premium member.
Speaker 2: It also gets you ad free versions of the show.
Speaker 1: As far as this show goes most weekdays, I Jeff Greb will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you were watching live on twitch welcome, You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for game Mes Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Hello YouTube.
Speaker 1: All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with. Double Fine has laid off twenty three staff after going independent. This is from Chris going In at VGC. Double Fine Productions has announced that it has laid off twenty three members of its development staff. The studio, founded in two thousand by former LucasArts veteran Tim Schaeffer, was acquired by Mike, was acquired by Microsoft in twenty nineteen and developed rad psychoedouts to Keeper, KILLN After and KILLN after That. Following news last month that Xbox planned to cut thousands of jobs as part of what CEO Asha Sharma called the most significant restructure in Xbox history, however, a number of Microsoft owned studios to faced closure. Some of those studios started negotiating with Xbox to go independent in an attempt to avoid complete closure, and Double Find was successful in these negotiations, along with South of Midnight studio Compulsion Games. As a newly independent studio, however, Double Find has found itself having to cut costs to remain a going concern, which it says has led to layoffs Double Find Today, Double Find Productions let go of twenty three members of our staff. As a small, tightly knit team, these actions are not taking lightly taken lightly.
Speaker 2: Only the survival.
Speaker 1: Of our of our studio would ever make us consider such a painful action. Our transition to becoming an independent company also means becoming a size that we can sustain. See, I mean, I think everyone knew this was part of it, right, Like the idea here of Microsoft, Oh, we're laying off these people and then we're going to let these teams go.
Speaker 2: Well, those are also layoffs.
Speaker 1: Those are job cuts that no longer exist that a new company, newly formed as independent will have to sort of create out like out of thin air.
Speaker 2: For the most part, not entirely.
Speaker 1: Obviously, having the infrastructure there to take a studio independent and start making stuff well ensure some of those jobs can transition.
Speaker 2: But the money's gone.
Speaker 1: The money was coming from Microsoft and now it disappeared, So they were always going to have to probably make these cuts. So it's like, yeah, double fine, is lay enough twenty three staff? This is still part of the Xbox layoffs though, right, that's right?
Speaker 3: What are we so is the implication that there is no new backer here? Or I mean sounds like no, right, if there is nothing to support staffing these twenty three people that are having to be let go after this independence.
Speaker 1: Yes, so that's what it seems to be the case for both Double Fine and Compulsion that they quickly were able to extricate themselves from Xbox from Microsoft, but any conversations that might have been involved with new publishers, new financial backers, or very early and are nowhere near completion when it came time to actually make these the jump to independent.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, if.
Speaker 1: There's money waiting in the wings, it's not like it's it's probably not happening anytime soon. And so yeah, they're they're kind of out there on their own, which means, you know, I believe that Double Find took all of their IP with them, right, So they're they're selling video games, right, they have income from that, and that's it. That's probably what the budget that they are sort of giving themselves of, like, hey, we make a certain amount of income from selling our catalog games. We can rely on that, and then if we want to staff back up or grow again, it will really have to come from getting a big third party partner to come in with some money to publish one of our games, and it's not easy to do that, right now, that's kind of all you hear, is like how difficult it is to find that cash?
Speaker 3: No, and I don't know how much reporting there is on the specificity of their IP ownership either, right, Like does it does it mean, like you know, fully sort of being able to capture all the revenue from the legacy library of stuff like the or is it only stuff since acquisition? Like what is how does all that work? I think the thing everyone you know should not lose, should not should be still able to take away from this is that it is like you said, the you know, the sort of fallout from Microsoft's decisions, right, Like, this is a thing that was brought on by that. I don't want I don't want them to get away with any sort of like you know, avoiding negative press after this is announced, because this happened because of the divestment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they clearly we're trying to shape this in such a way, Like going back I think to the leaks about hey, these these teams.
Speaker 2: Might get closed down.
Speaker 1: Oh no, they're in negotiations to sort of go independent, and like they framed it in such a way that when they did go independent, it will it.
Speaker 2: Looked like the best case scenario.
Speaker 1: It looked like, okay, yeah, these these teams aren't going to get shut down. So you know, you would see the boot looking fanboys out there being like.
Speaker 2: Sarah, I heard it was going to be a bloodbath. This isn't a bloodbath.
Speaker 1: These things aren't closing, and it's say, oh, honey, you just can't see that they really did pull wool over your eyes or you're happy to help them do it. And yeah, the money that was going into this industry from Xbox, into these studios evaporated, and that meant that was always going to mean job cuts.
Speaker 2: And it's like this.
Speaker 1: Distracts from the fact that there's other unsung cuts happening, including that we keep saying it a bunch of contractors, a bunch of contract studios getting completely the rug pulled out from underneath them, and those people, those contract studios have jobs that they are cutting that will not be counted toward the eventual what was at thirty two hundred total that Xbox is saying that they are going to cut. It's like, oh, yeah, so these cuts are way worse already. And yet we're still celebrating the fact that this team now has to go out but is essentially the worst time to find funding for a game in a very long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also got to stop seeing this fucking quote. I gotta stop seeing this quote the most significant restructure and Xbox stop saying so I don't want to that implies some sort of like achievement, that implies some sort of like awesome thing. Just shut up, shut up. I don't want to hear that anymore.
Speaker 2: Stop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a sort of no humanity in these uh in these quotes, and that one feels especially sort of detached.
Speaker 2: From from what is actually happening here. You know.
Speaker 1: They also call it stuff like this is the reset, and everyone, I think asks the right question that reset to what what is what is the thing that Xbox considers to be zero that they are going to reset to and build back from?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Right, reset implies a rebuild, right like reset replies like wiping the slate clean and like, you know, going to some sort of rehab of sobriety and like you know, getting a new start on life. It doesn't mean like, oh, we murdered everyone. That's not the reset, Like, come on, right, Yeah, and the.
Speaker 1: Vision still is very fuzzy on how they get to that rebuild or whatever. Right now, it still feels like the goal is cut as much costs as possible, make.
Speaker 2: This lean for whatever purpose, whether that.
Speaker 1: Is just to make just to spend less money on this thing, or to make it easier to eventually offload, which continues to feel like a possibility here. Meanwhile, Xbox had some issues where Xbox Live I guess I don't do they even call it Xbox Live anymore. Their internet services went out. There was a big outage, and people obviously during this could not launch a bunch of like digital games that they owned that required sort of authentication through servers. There was issues with like, you know, talking to friends or whatever. All these problems with the Xbox services, but it also affected physical games. If you had a disc and you put it into your system, it also tried to reach out to a server and said, hey, you can't play this, and Xbox like, hey, that's actually not the way it's supposed to work, and we are going to fix that in the future. So Microsoft now says physical game, our physical Xbox games are subject to entitlement verification. Although discs are supposed to remain playable offline. During Sunday's nearly day long Xbox outage, some consoles failed to use the saved entitlements that normally let those disc discs launch without contacting Microsoft. Yeah yeah, some of those. Yeah they failed. Excuse me. An upcoming system update is intended to prevent that failure from happening again. Xbox CTO Scott Van Valet attributed the broader outage to an external licensing service. So we kind of got some details about this yesterday and didn't know exactly what it was. He said, the company will conduct a full post incident review, hard in the dependencies used for signing and game launching, improved detection and containment, blah blah blah, and communicate more clearly during future events.
Speaker 2: Toms like that. I know. Yeah right. It's like, okay, buddy.
Speaker 1: People just want to play their games and you're out here being like this is the next broader outage will be better.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So that does feel like they're still trying to make it feel like, yeah, discs have a special access path towards you being able to play them because you have a physical verification thing you can put it in the system and it should just work.
Speaker 2: Uh, and you know, it.
Speaker 1: Does feel like Okay, yeah, that's that's what people want to hear. It didn't work, And it does feel like you Xbox are about to go the pathway that PlayStation is setting out right now of at the very least extremely de emphasizing of physical media, if not fully pulling that out of the next system. But they're they're they're saying the thing where the hey, no, your discs should have that functionality going forward, and we're sorry it didn't work. Does this like feel like a weird moment to remind everybody that disks function that way when it doesn't feel like the future of discs themselves is very certain.
Speaker 3: I mean, it couldn't happen at at at a more suspicious time, right, Like yeah, it's it's certainly not encouraging in any sense I think, you know again, and knowing what we know now about not being able to trust anything that comes out of that camp at all, you just I guess have to kind of live in this very precarious situation of like, yeah, this demonstrates the fragility of having physical media and the reliance on that working with what is being called an external licensing service, which implies that like Xbox doesn't have that in house, they like somehow have a third party service verifying all and authenticating like discs, and that system talks to the Xbox network and gives them the okay even though these things are supposed to work without having to call home.
Speaker 2: I don't get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you know, I don't know. It's certainly not a good sign. If you've got hardware with a disk drive. I feel like that is now this valuable collector's item. Don't get rid of that, hold on to that thing. Yeah, certainly not an encouraging forecast for our you know, software ownership future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I still feel like if if Xbox is serious about this reset or whatever and re establishing its platform as a place for people to buy buy games, and that you know, specifically the console, they're they're making a bigger deal about Xbox console exclusives.
Speaker 2: Games they'll be on PC but then not on PlayStation. Uh. And the reason you do that is to sell more Xbox consoles.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: So it's like, Okay, they're they're serious about that side of the business. You supposedly they are presenting their themselves as being serious about it. Well, one thing you could do in this moment clearly is to say, hey, we are going to be different than Sony when it comes to physical media and support it for longer. No promise is about forever, but support it for longer. And they have a sort of reverse Xbox One PlayStation for a moment where they could say we're we're the disc side of the of the argument now, and so if you're mad at Sony, come to us. And I don't know all these opportunities to do that, and they haven't said that yet when they were like, hey, we're going to decide today four hours later that we are going to make years of more exclusive like moments before Summer Game Fest and kind of change the language on that if they're willing to act really fast on stuff like that, but not on this. To me, it sounds like no, Microsoft is going to keep going in that direction of discs will be deprecated as well, and it's unfortunate, like, oh, I thought these companies were still competing. That would be such a moment of competition. It doesn't feel like that's in the cards, right.
Speaker 3: It doesn't. And again, this really all goes back to the trust that they completely obliterated in front of the entire world, yes, back in June. You know, it's the same story over and over again. Forgive me if you hear wood chipping going on in the lawn. They are we're good, kind of which we said, chopping up some trees from storms we've had. Yeah, it is us. There's just no like trust. There's no faith invested in any of the things that are coming out of their mouth. So I hate to just sort of like paint everything with such a broad brush, but like, this is the reality of it now, and I don't think anything will really change that dynamic. I think the proof will be in the pudding, you know. And I don't care what they say. What matters is what they do, and those actions will speak louder than their you know, sort of like messaging whatever pr sort of stuff they are putting out there. That's what's going to resonate, That is what's going to be tangible, and we'll be able to sort of conduct analysis on the other side of that stuff. Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know.
Speaker 3: I just can't see a future where like they are somehow capturing the good guy energy of being the physical media you know brand like, honestly, do you do you see that? Do you see that happening?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I mean no, no, it's you know, it's there was a five percent chance, just because I could see them talking themselves into Like I could see Asha Sharma going to copilot being like, all right, what are the opportunities for today to make a make a difference here to I kind of get people excited, and Coviolt would be like, there's something about physical disc over at PlayStation maybe if you took the different tach Like I could see her talking herself into it and on that side of things.
Speaker 2: But clear anything wrong.
Speaker 3: I didn't like that, resigns.
Speaker 2: I'm talking like that, respond that's gonna cost us money. Disk drives her bad.
Speaker 1: We are already losing money on our consoles, as we will talk about in a story later in the show. Everybody, all right, let's see here. Uh you know, let's get to this one before we take the break. Your Coonambi wants a new silent Hill every year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think they they're at a point where it's like that's actually a prop it's not a threat. That's exciting, uh, Gabe Gerdwin, Kurt Indovino over at GameSpot Road from Kurt.
Speaker 3: Kurt's delivering this message specifically to me.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's like a telegram at your door, and he's singing it here. Over the past few years, we've seen a major revival of the Silent Hill franchise, with twenty twenty four Silent Hill Too remake offering a spectacular reimagining of one of the series' most beloved entries, while titles like Silent Hill f and Townfall propel the series forward and seek to redefine what a Silent Hill game can be. Turns out, having so many Silent Hill projects developed at the same time was a deliberate strategy set by Konami and a way to prove to fans that it's serious about the franchise. Speaking to game Spot at a media roundtable event, Konami producer motoy Okamoto made it clear that the company views Silent Hill as a major part of its business. The main reason why we decided to have multiple titles in the works, like three games in the works at the same time, was because we wanted to convey to the players that Konami is serious about coming back into the gaming landscape. A part of the strategy behind that was to work on multiple games at once so that we can have annual releases or have an annual release of a new Silent Hill game every year. That way players will know that it's not a facade. We're serious about coming back into the gaming space and providing players with new games.
Speaker 2: Say, but like having this idea of like, okay, first of.
Speaker 1: All, recognizing that the Konami's sort of standing with gamers had slipped quite a bit because it did seem like they had abandoned that traditional audience.
Speaker 2: Recognizing that Silent.
Speaker 1: Hill is a very good way of sort of countering that if they can do multiple games. But then being able to do multiple games and so far make them all pretty good, at least the big ones that I know that like interactive television show thing was kind of a joke that people hated, But I don't know what's Silent Hell without one.
Speaker 2: Of those as well.
Speaker 1: But to have like two out of the three so far hit really hard, and now we have the third one upon us and seems like that that could be excuse me, that could be good as well. I think Konami's serious, and I think they moved exactly what they were trying to prove here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the proof is in is in what's coming out? And Jan and I actually just took a look at town Fall. Video is up on the site now and the YouTube channel. Uh it's you know the way I kind of we discussed it, and the way I kind of put it was like, oh, it almost seems like they're kind of like franchising out Silent Hill, where it's like, oh, what kind of some hell you want to do? What kind of and uh, screen Burn, which which developed Townfall. The way the story goes, I think, And Jan, you're listening, keep me honest if I say something completely out of pocket. They kind of just pitched this ta Konami, this this idea of the story, and and I was like, Yeah, this this dope, go for it. So I like the idea that like Silent Hill, can have a new kind of flavor on top of whatever story, Uh people want to tell a team wants to tell. I think that's really interesting. I think that rules. That's a smart way to go about doing it. And what we saw, what I watched of the b roll and what Jan has played and has reported back, like they are doing kind of they're pushing the they're moving the needle in the way that I think is kind of smart and new and fresh, especially with the sort of like pocket TV mechanic that they've got going on in town Fall. I think that's really smart. Uh yeah, I really dig it. And this sort of design seems like it would lend itself to this cadence of a new Silent Hill every year. You know. It's like it's like the new Madden, you know, and they just changed. They're just got update in the roster. No, it's more than just updating the rosters, new locations, new stories, but still having that same DNA. This is uh, this is smart. You gotta give them credit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's.
Speaker 1: It's what we've kind of been saying for years, even before Coonami like showed back up on the scene. With this recent strategy, it's like, hey, it seems like Capcom over there has got it all figured out right. They have a way to at least every other year or ever like one point five years to have something in Resident Evil, whether that's a remake or a new game, and then it also has it's got all of its other pillars with Monster Hunter or whatever, and it delivers on those relatively frequently. And then it's trying some other stuff here or there. Why doesn't every publisher sort of try this overall strategy?
Speaker 2: And Konami, I think, looked at it.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, yeah, we actually should do that, and it seems like they're building up in a reasonable way to that. They're not like they didn't go whole hog and try all of it at once. They're like, hey, let's focus on the most important part, which does seem to be get one of your main franchises back in order and get people believing in it again.
Speaker 2: They Capcom had.
Speaker 1: To do that with Resident Evil has easily succeeded, and now it's like bouncing back and forth between the remakes and new games, and I think Silent Hill obviously stands to do very similar to that. And then it also seems like I could follow a similar arc of Yeah, okay, now that people believe that Silent Hill is this going concern when they see a new one's coming out, maybe more people will than ever will decide to jump aboard the train. It's like, oh, I know that I can trust Konami to continue investing in this, so I'm not going to be wasting my time if I want to get into something new and really throw myself into the lore and go back and play all the old games, because it's like, oh yeah, if I do that, there's going to be a franchise waiting for me on the other side.
Speaker 2: So it really just has worked out in about every way that it could.
Speaker 1: Now I guess the question is can Kunami sort of expand on this that, Like you said, they are franchising a lot of stuff out there, working with a lot of sort of external studios again in a wise way, like I think the Neo Boards did the Silent Hill f game and that was like a support studio that worked with Capcom, and I think Squerannic's on a bunch of stuff. But it's like they have experience working with these like Capcom, this successful publisher, let's go bring them on board.
Speaker 2: That's smart.
Speaker 1: But the Konami also said they want to expand their internal development as well. That's I mean this, there's gonna be a chance that they hit a roadbump here. Do you think they will be resilient enough to sort of like keep pushing forward on the strategy.
Speaker 3: That's a tough question to answer, but I I mean, I do think they are playing it in a way that seems thoughtful, right and sort of almost like future proofing. And I do think that's playing out right. I do think they're being kind of rewarded for it so far. Uh it's it's you know, it's tough to tell, right, Like, okay, uh so every indication is sort of saying like, oh, town falls at the very least will be a solid experience, right. I don't know, there's a fourth game, hit a roadbump, right, and then where are we there? Right, I think we'll have to sort of take the temperature if and when that that that happens. But I do think they are playing it in a way that feels calculated and and feels kind of smart. It is, you know, just going off off the reception of of f and how almost universally uh uh, you know a lot of that game is. It's it's definitely confidence inspiring for sure. I think how you will go out and say selfishly like the horror genre is probably the one little bright spot in the world of games right now that seems to really be hitting a groove, having a third, fourth, fifth, win, whatever you want to call it. So those people like me were eating well now for sure, but the precarious nature of this industry certainly can't predict what would happen if a substantial you know, speed bump lays ahead, right.
Speaker 2: Yep, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Rich Batic gamepoints that that Konami also has a new version of its e football game on switch that got rid of all the micro transactions micro transactions, so it's kind of just like a new pro evolution soccer game. That sounds cool. I might actually do exactly that.
Speaker 3: There is something encouraging about the kind of like pushback that the you know, that part of the world is sort of like putting out there right like they're does seem to be now at this moment, this tangible sort of like oh, you know, the the US based kind of like methodology business model is so toxic and shitty, like what if like that wasn't the case, And that is I do think cultural in a big way.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I think kind of great to see.
Speaker 1: I think it's a It just provides an alternative to the strategy. I think it was kind of pushed by Western studios, which was we are going to make the fidelity higher and higher, and that is the one way that you sort of stand out. And then as these Western studios, especially ones in the United States, become too expensive because you know, it's an expensive place to live or whatever, but then you know the studios are ingrained there, it's like, okay, wait to outspend the other studios here, we'd have to like spend this much more time on it. That becomes unsustainable. There had to be an alternative, and I think a lot of these Western studios were like, well, we're not We're not going to look at the alternative. We have one way of doing things, and everyone else, especially and especially it seems like in Japan, they hey, let's come up with some other ideas. And obviously they don't have the same cost of living necessarily, but because it's that is a more more affordable country in some ways, but that like even take that out of it, it just seems like they're like, hey, we believe there's another way to approach getting people excited about these games, and it's working. I think ye just having meamoto out in the past week, being like, you know, make games that are that you care about, not that you're trying to make globally appealing. That feels very different than a lot of the Western studios, and it feels like that has trickled down throughout.
Speaker 3: Japan without a doubt. I mean almost like overnight. It's there's like this epiphany of like, oh wow, not being shitty turns out that's a beautiful way to live and operate, and you can be a business and not be shitty and still make money and still be okay. So yeah, it's certainly an indictment in terms of the American system. But yeah, that is the story. That is a situation we're in right now.
Speaker 1: All right, we are gonna take a break. When we get back, plenty of more headlines to get into. We will touch on those after this. If you want to skip out on these ad messages, just go to GiantBomb dot com slash join. You can get the ad free versions of this show and the others right there. We will be right back. All right, We're back with Game mess Mornings. It's jurifom Jeff. Let's go ahead and get into the next headline here. A Dragon Age trilogy remaster may be impossible without rebuilding BioWare knowledge. This is from Chris Scully and at VGC. Dragon Age fans hoping for remasters of the original trilogy may have had those hopes dashed by BioWare veteran and dragon Age series producer Mark Dara. Dara was at BioWare for twenty three years and was executive producer on the dragon Age series before leaving the studio in twenty twenty during the development of dragon Age, The Veilguard and An Excuse Me. In an interview with FRVR, Dara was asked if he thought the first three games in the series, Dragon Age Origins, Dragon h two, and Dragon Age Inquisition would ever get the same sort of remaster treatment BioWare's Mass Effect trilogy got with the release of the Mass Effect Legendary Edition in twenty twenty one. Dara explained that a trilogy of remasters, which he proposed would be called the Champions Edition, was originally part of the plan while he was at BioWare. I think what you want is a Champions Edition. That was always my plan. We're going to do a Champions trilogy. We're going to retroactively turn this into like, these are three games with three different important figures, and we're going to group them in, collect them together. We're going to retroactively turn them into a trilogy. The problem with this, however, is that this is no longer a quote. The problem with this, however, is that while all three Mass Effect games ran on Unreal Engine three remaking remasters relatively manageable, the first two dragon Age games ran on versions of BioWare's bespoke Aurora Engine. Dragon Age Origins ran on the Eclipse Engine, which was an advanced version of Aurora, while Dragon h two ran on its successor, the Lyceum Engine, and then dragon Age Inquisition ran on EA's Frostbite.
Speaker 2: I remember at the.
Speaker 1: Time when a legendary edition was happening, sure that people were asking me about and then so will they do Dragon Age after that? And what I was hearing internally was always it's this problem. It is that when you do work on Mass Effect one, it like carried over to two and then to three, but.
Speaker 2: Three needed less work.
Speaker 1: So it's like they're kind of like really getting a lot out of all the efforts that they were making, and it would it would mad It made a lot more sense, and it also helped then that Mass Effect.
Speaker 2: Was already a real trilogy.
Speaker 1: So they it didn't require as much work on that side of things to make it make sense. Packaged up like that dragon Age just didn't. So they once they were presented with all those problems and especially the engine issue, it's like, okay, well, we're not going to be able to make that really make sense. Now they're at a point, as Star points out, where all of the people who had that institutional knowledge about how to work with those previous engines are gone, So it would be kind of an even bigger hill to climb to get this done, making it less likely than the moment where they already decided not.
Speaker 2: To do it.
Speaker 1: So this this feels like one where if they get back around to doing a dragon Age trilogy sort of collection or whatever, it's gonna be way down the line where they were gonna fully like remake these games, and we're kind of nowhere near that right now, right, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, yeah, everything's so fragmented with these different engines that does not seem like I mean, this is almost like a it's almost like a non excuses, but like an explanation of like, here's here's how you need to be realistic about trilogy, right I think.
Speaker 1: And A fans recognize that pretty quickly or like go okay, that that that does make sense. It's you know, at dragon Age, the last one there, dragon Age, the Vail Guard. Uh, it kind of just missed on enough points of of sort of being able to win over new fans that EA is just not gonna pay it any mind.
Speaker 2: Like EA feels done with it.
Speaker 1: So the idea here that okay, maybe by Where could eat like that, whether we talked on the bomb Bywear could pitch a new game that feels like that won't happen. By Where could pitch like a collection of these previous games, similar to the legendary edition of Mass Effect. Even that at this point, I think everyone internally would recognize that that would be something that EA would not care to hear about right now. So it's going to take quite some time to sort of shift the fortunes of Dragon Age, which is unfortunate because like when I was reporting on it, I always noticed it's like, man, the fan base for these games is feverish, and it's kind of unfortunate that they won't be surf going forward, all right, clear, Obscure Studio says it wants to bring it to switch to but it's way too early to announce anything.
Speaker 2: This is from Chris Sculling at VGC.
Speaker 1: Clare Obscure Expedition thirty three studio Sandfall Interactive wants to make a switch to part of the game, but it's still in the process of seeing how feasible it is. Following a recent post mortem event discussing the game in Yokohama, Sandfall CEO and creative director Gilmbriouh, co founder and CTO Tom Gillemaran Giman, Yes, and lead character Yeah, close enough, and concept hartist Alan Renaud. We're asked by Automaton whether they thought the game could run on switch To and whether there were plans for report. The developers replied that they did not want to bring Claire, or that they did want to bring Claire of Scared to switch To, but we're still looking at how to overcome the technical hurdles involved in this, suggesting it takes longer for a smaller team to figure these out. We are interested in looking for a way to do it, but it's too early for us to announce anything at this point. It's a big technical challenge because we tried to do something beautiful with the game, but of course the switch to is not as powerful as the PlayStation or the Xbox series X, so it's important thing for us to consider, especially given the size of our studio.
Speaker 3: I just love that chord. It's like, yeah, like we want to put it on the switch too, but switch is not beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a table, you see. We made a beautiful game. That's the problem here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't want to have to dumb it down for the fidelity that only the switch to is able of putting out. Yuck.
Speaker 2: Yep. They probably are looking very seriously at this.
Speaker 3: There's a billion of them out in the market, right right.
Speaker 1: Unreal Engine five is a little bit of a pain to put on the switch too, but it's worked before. I mean, listen, I played Expedition thirty three on the Steam Deck and it looked rough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was playable.
Speaker 3: I also think it's a I think it's a difficult portable game. Yeah yeah, right right, and obviously switch to you dock it. It's not portable. But like I get what you're saying there. I think, uh, yeah, I don't know. I mean, look, you just want this out. You want a version of it that is serviceable, right, I don't think there's gonna be any And presumably you are trying to reach an audience that is just a switch playing sort of audience that maybe would not have any kind of like, you know, disappointment in the perhaps little lackluster fidelity of a switch to version of claib Scirit.
Speaker 1: And I think it's like we've been surprised a bunch of times now where not only hey, this game's coming to switch to, I guess I didn't necessarily expect that, and then a lot of those have been like, oh, and it looks really good, it runs pretty well.
Speaker 2: That's happened repeatedly. I think it's going to happen here again.
Speaker 1: I think the point that Sandfal the people over at Sandfall are getting at is we're a smaller team. It's going to take a little bit more work for us to accomplish that, unless we've again maybe bringing in a port studio, which they might be doing, who knows.
Speaker 3: Right, Look, Sandfall, if you really want to feel good about it, maybe you just call it, you know, clare obscurit not so.
Speaker 2: Beautiful Expedition thirty thirty two.
Speaker 1: It's knock a down one. Yes, right, that's fair to take a little bit of it on our away from it. All right, let's let's wrap back to Xbox real quick. There's a couple other things happening over there. Xbox is reportedly losing around one hundred and fifty dollars on every console. Windows Central's just Cording reports that Microsoft is losing approximately one hundred and fifty dollars on recently manufactured Xbox series X and S units, largely because of rapidly increasing memory and storage cost Obviously more strikingly Accorded says Microsoft will apparently continue losing money on each unit even after the August first price increases happen, which, yeah, that makes sense, not all, Like those weren't one hundred and fifty dollars, so and then they also still expect RAM and storage costs to keep going up, so they might be right back at one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 2: Dollars a missing from every console they sell.
Speaker 1: As a rough illustration recovering a one hundred and fifty dollars hardware loss solely through a thirty percent platform cut. So basically, there were some math done about Okay, let's say they're losing, they're subsidizing these consoles at one hundred and fifty dollars, what would people have to buy in terms of seventy dollars games to make up that subsidy. It's like, oh, it's like seven or maybe fine, yes, seven seventy dollars games is what people would have to buy, and that's people aren't really typically buying that many pieces of software per console. It's usually a little bit lower than that. But of course, the real world use case for a lot of people is way different. They're buying first party games and they're getting game Pass and they're getting they're buying games here or there, or they're borrowing games, they're playing free to play games, so there's micro transactions involved. I think one hundred and fifty dollars subsidy is not where any of these companies want to be. That is not an amount that they have been comfortable comfortable with for a very long time, which is why the prices do keep going up. But they're not going to be solved by this most recent price increase that's already already been announced. Are we expecting another round of price increases in twenty twenty seven?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: I mean to what end?
Speaker 2: Right? Like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you you know, we we've already seen sales start to be impacted. I don't know, I don't know. There seems to be this like extremely wishful thinking throughout the industry that somehow these things will rebound. There's just really no evidence that points to that sort of inevitability. I don't know, I mean to what end, Okay, you rate another round of price right, like what I mean? These are now items that are just wildly out of the scope of a traditional consumer. They are becoming luxury, elite items that you will tell your grandkids about if you can afford to have children.
Speaker 1: Right, yes, And then of course it's like sets us up for expectations in terms of pricing for the next gen, which apparently is all supposed to coming across the board from PlayStation and Xbox. And yeah, they're already losing one hundred and fifty dollars on older hardware that is getting up to eight hundred dollars or whatever. New hardware is not going to be less expensive to produce. It's going to be more expensive in every way it is. Yeah, the pricing expectations I think from everyone for the next gen stuff is through the like through the roof beyond whatever one.
Speaker 2: Thought was possible.
Speaker 3: And also they fucking did this, yes, well absolutely, yeah, they fucking did this. So I you know, we can talk about this and keep it up until we're blue in the face, but like this situation come you know, not one hundred percent directly, but substantially. It was impacted by their broader business decisions and the investment in AI and the need to build uh you know, data centers for endless data centers and all these things that require the hardware that is forcing the price up for all these things. This is their bed. They shit in it and now they got to lay in it.
Speaker 2: Yep. Finally, Actually a couple more things here.
Speaker 1: Xbox and Ubisoft introduced one way console, the PC crossby so Xbox and Ubi Suft are granting the Ubi Seft Connect PC versions of thirteen games to people who own their digital Xbox console editions. Basically, if you buy these certain Xbox or certain Ubi Soft games on Xbox consoles, you will then get access to the Ubisoft Connect PC versions as well.
Speaker 2: It doesn't go the other way. So if you have the.
Speaker 1: PC versions of Assassin's Creed, Mirage, Assassin's Creed, Valhalla, Avatar, Frontiers of Pandora, Far Crist Six Immortals, Phoenix Rising, principersha The Lost Crown Riders, Republic everyone's favorite, Skull and Bones, Everyone's second favorite, the Crew, Two's the Crew, motor Fest, Rainbow six Extraction which everyone remembers, Rainbow six Siege, and Watchdog's Legion. You will not get the Xbox version like returned, yes, and the reverse way. I think, yes, that's how it is. Yes, So but if you have the Xbox version, you get the PC version. I don't know who this is really for.
Speaker 2: Jurff.
Speaker 1: I don't know, like what needle this is even trying to move. I suppose that Xbox and Ubisoft, trying to tighten their relationship, suggest something like one about the other. I don't know, but they they were definitely like they already had the situation where if you have Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, I think you get a small version of Ubisoft subscription service on Xbox. So they've had this close relationship and it really doesn't seem to have helped either one.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: Nobody knows there U BEI selft login information, what do you do?
Speaker 2: Oh my god? Right, who the fuck is being like?
Speaker 3: Oh second old, now I'm gonna download connect you. Oh, come on live in the real. I don't know who this is for. You're right, who are you people? Where'd you come from? What your gaming habits are? Incredibly confusing? I don't know. This seems like how did this even happen?
Speaker 2: You think? Right? Right?
Speaker 3: What sort of weird footnote? This is like when a team like like trades and like you get like conditional draft picks and it's like, oh, this is this is a result of something like that.
Speaker 1: Right, and it's like it definitely feels like a conversation that started under the previous regime and sort of just carried forward under its own momentum or something. It was so close to the finish line that they just they just went through with it, because I can't imagine, like this was like on ashes Sharma's to do list when she started the job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm at I'm at the goal line, but you gotta give me the crossby on on on Ubisoft Connect. That's the only detail that I'll get this deal over the finish That's what makes my world go round, please Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: Speaking of confusing, I think Splatoon Raiders is currently the seventh greatest game of all time according to user reviews. On Meta Critics Right, Splatoon Raiders is currently the seventh best game of all time according to Metacritic users. Metacritic, while the review aggregation site is mainly used for tracking review scores from verified critics and gaming publications, it also lets registered users give each game their own score out of ten. Those scores are also aggregated by Metacritic and presented as a separate user score, similar to the way Rotten Tomatoes has a Tomato meter for critics scores and the popco Meter Popcorn Meter for audience scores. At the time of writing, Splatoon Raiders has a Metacritics score of eighty one, currently placing it sixty fourth in its list of the best reviewed games of the year. Its Metacritic user score, however, is currently nine point three, making it the seventh highest rated video game on the site of all time.
Speaker 3: We should ask Mark, be like, Mark, what's going on with Metacritic? What's happening? Have you ever seen anything like this before?
Speaker 2: Mat Jackson?
Speaker 1: I think that the only explanation is Splatoon fans are out there and they are real, and they're passionate, and I mean, the game is good, it's it's good, it's fun. I've been enjoying what I've played. What little bit I've played so far. I do think I'm I will end up maybe agree with Mike more than these user reviews. But it seems to be like that doesn't matter. This game is a new Splatoon game, and the Splatoon fans love that. I don't know, is there any other explanation?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, was the last time we had like a real positive brigade?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Right, go to town. You know what, you guys, knock yourselves out. This is great. We're not gonna say nuts. I'm not gonna stand in their way.
Speaker 3: It almost means nothing, So go nuts, right and a fellows zero impact on any.
Speaker 1: Affects, nothing else, and at least in a negative way.
Speaker 2: Fantastic. Think you guys are doing great work.
Speaker 3: You're passionate about the thing you love. Positive brigading. Let's bring it back. We're on the posey brigading arc.
Speaker 2: Let's see just real quick.
Speaker 1: So that means it's in front of the Legend of Zelda, Ocaran of Time, middle Gear, Solid and Warcraft are three, the Frozen Throne exp it's right behind Resident Evil Requiem Core again. Number all right, let's keep in mind where we're at with the Metacritic user reviews. The number five highest rated game of all time of Court according to Metacritic users is, of course, Corey in.
Speaker 2: The House, the Disney.
Speaker 1: TV show licensed game for DS or whatever it was, So.
Speaker 3: All right, maybe, yeah, maybe you put that user score a little little lower down on the page.
Speaker 1: Maybe can you make it smaller? Maybe mess up they mess up the currenting on it so no one wants to look at it. You get a font swapping, maybe make it all comic sense to reflect its importance. All right, Today, Miss Fall Hunter is launching a PC at nine pm A dispatch gets its Xbox release tomorrow Gears of War e Dame multiplayer reveal.
Speaker 2: The Coalition is expected to show a.
Speaker 1: Classic four on four competitive multiplayer and a twelve player PvE Horde mode ahead of a beta beginning August sixth. All right, that does it for the headlines. I think we have a question from earlier this week. Let's go ahead and get the refreshed results right here. Let's see what would you want from a final Fantasy Vix remake, a massive multi game series, or one game that's forty five hours with limitations. Obviously most people went with that because they're not crazy. Eighty nine percent said they want one game that's forty five hours with limitations, and eleven percent said massive multi game series.
Speaker 2: So I don't think squaren exteds that talk.
Speaker 1: Themselves into doing that if if they want to approach Final Fantasy six. All right, I have a new poll question we'll get to. Actually, let's let's do it right now. Are you playing Splatoon Raiders. I just want to know yes or no. I want to see what this audience is doing with that game. I just started that up. I am enjoying it, but it does feel like, Okay, it's one of those smaller Nintendo fifty dollars summer games could get overlooked. It's not getting overlooked by the Splatoon fans. And let's see how it's going for Giant On fans. We'll get the results of that. Talk about it here on Game this morning, on Giant Bomb tomorrow. Speaking of Giant Bomb, Uh, it's it's Wednesday.
Speaker 2: I gotta go back to play more Cyberdillo.
Speaker 3: Oh buddy, you gotta you gotta pack there. We're doing a fun thing after this. I don't think we can talk about it just yet, but yeah, uh yeah, all right, Well look I'm right there with you, because I myself am playing a terrible game that is in no way fun or hilarious. So that's that.
Speaker 2: What do you what are you playing?
Speaker 3: I'm playing cat Woman, man, I would drove god Catwoman.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I see your shirt, I see your Kirby with his mouth wide open, and I'm just thinking it's a place to put a cop, you know. I'm just thinking it's a place to throw a cop.
Speaker 1: Just throw a cop right in there, man. Cat Jurfman has been so special everybody. I we'll have more from that very soon. You'll be able to start watching that with us. Uh, probably next week is what we're aiming for, So looking.
Speaker 2: Forward to that. Uh.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, it should be a pretty normal week. Beyond that, we're gonna have a voice, small dump truck. We're gonna have upf I think we're gonna play a weird little party game on there.
Speaker 2: It'll be fun. And then we'll have it.
Speaker 1: We are recording a bunch of other stuff in the meantime that will pop up on the site for both free and premium users here very soon.
Speaker 2: All right, I think with all of that out of the way, Yeah, let's do this.
Speaker 1: Jeff, thank you, so much for hanging out with me today and talking about video games. Man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: My pleasure anytime. Thank you for having me sir, Thank you all for watching and listening. You are the best audience in gaming.
Speaker 1: Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.