Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Jacob got me one of those little Trader Joe Trader Joe's bags that people kill other people four for Christmas. I think it was yeah, and I haven't used it, and I realized that the fervor over these little Trader Joe's pastel bags. I've seen the lines outside the Trader Joe's when they become available. It's a very hot item. I just had it in my car and so I grabbed it this morning to put some stuff in and I just walked with that bag from the garage up here, and I can't tell you the number of people that looked at me, like how lucky is she? Like she's got one of them bags. And I don't care what people think of that ship has sailed. It is what it is. But I don't want people to think that I'm one of the people that stood in line for four hours before four am to get one of these bags, you know what I mean. I like, I had this feeling for the first time in a long time, like I care what people think, and they think this that I'm one.
Speaker 2: Of the craziest.
Speaker 3: Well, if you were your old Air Force ones and they're just aged, they would think, oh, she bought the Air Force about.
Speaker 2: Two hundred dollars dirty shoes.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I'm walking in and Squabble Up is playing, and Kean and I were talking in the office about.
Speaker 3: The same music, same music, and.
Speaker 2: I was like, we I'm back in the good old days.
Speaker 1: You used to wait all day by the radio for the best song to play, and you'd record it. And and then Keanu said I miss people call in and with requests, and I said me too. I love hearing what other people want to hear. And then the DJ just magically plays the song so weird.
Speaker 2: So we're going to do that today.
Speaker 1: It's an all Request Friday on the Gary and Shannon Show. Now now stop to stop. I know, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, oh, this will be fun on AM radio. It will be fun on AM radio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if you're also listening on the app, you get it an HD.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't even think of that full Philip. You you so forward thinking. Yeah, that'd be great, very current, very hip you are well. Thank you yeah hip all Request Friday. That's exactly what I was thinking, was, Wow, how.
Speaker 3: Hip are we?
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 3: That's an all Request Friday stinger.
Speaker 2: No, that's scary.
Speaker 3: That's pretty scary.
Speaker 2: I didn't enjoy that.
Speaker 3: The Trump administration officially eliminated a loophole that would have allowed us to buy cheap goods from China without paying tariffs. This move is going to help American companies that have been struggling to kind of keep up with this wave of low cost products out of China, but it's already resulted in higher prices if you are shopping online. This is called and you may have heard this term before, the Deminimous Rule, and it allowed products that were up to eight hundred dollars to avoid tariffs another red tape, as long as they were shipped directly to your house or your small business.
Speaker 1: In a cabinet meeting at the White House yesterday or this week, Trump referred to the loophole as a scam. He says, it's a big scam going on against our country, against really small businesses, and we've ended it.
Speaker 2: We've put an end to it.
Speaker 1: So this hurts the Shane Sheene t MoU Shine Shine Shane the fast fashion, Yes, which is so go buy your Levi jeans.
Speaker 3: Old fashioned Levi cartheart Say it again, is it Carthart's one tea? I mean there's two teas at the end, I think, but I think it's just Carhart. Yeah. This is the description of the reason is this is to help American manufactures because it was able to do those so quickly and cheaply.
Speaker 1: I do hate the fast fashion, the waste, the consumerism, the shipping, the all the things there's along with that.
Speaker 3: There's an argument to be made. We've said many times that China is in this for the long haul. They're not winning a war in five years or ten years. They're playing one hundred, two hundred year game. They want to be the victors in the end times whenever. That might be. One of the ways that they could do that is just flooding the United States with crap. How many stores are there that exist that are ninety nine cent or one dollar or cheap five below. Not saying that that's a bad store, just saying there's so much crap that comes into this country that we don't actually need and is considered disposable, but doesn't actually go away, right I mean, I'm.
Speaker 2: Never disposed of completely.
Speaker 3: I live in a neighborhood where very few people park their cars in their garage. Very few because we deal with crap, because their garage is filled with crap, and my garage is still filled with enough crap that it's hard to put a car in there. But it is one of those things that it is a very American and maybe even a very Southern California thing. Your garage is used as a storage facility as opposed to the place where you park your car. Even though it was okay, well you park that thing there, that's what I'm but but you don't park your car there.
Speaker 2: When you say you park that thing there.
Speaker 3: What oh, I was talking about the exercise equipment.
Speaker 1: The peloton is that what you're a friend, that's what you parked their park it It has.
Speaker 2: A name, just kidding a name. But we have so we have so much stuff.
Speaker 3: We have it.
Speaker 2: We are over consumers.
Speaker 3: Assuming that they invade, that is that.
Speaker 2: Is so unique, that is so American.
Speaker 3: They're not going to invade, but assuming they invade, we're literally tripping over plastic trinkets.
Speaker 1: Crap that you go to Europe or whatever and you see where people live, and it's they don't have mirror.
Speaker 2: They don't have a tenth of the crop that we keep.
Speaker 3: I mean even even in the old day, olden days, hundred years ago. Think about what your grandparents had. Yeah, you know if if they went through World War two, or they went through depress in or World War two, even you.
Speaker 2: Know what was in my grandparents' garage.
Speaker 1: My grandpa's work bench and some nails.
Speaker 3: And yeah, maybe a couple of hand tools. Yeah, and that's all that was it. And he was mcgiver. I mean, the things that your grandpa could do with five nails and a ballpeen hammer.
Speaker 1: I'd still go to him, dead in his grave for fourteen years before I went to some live men to fix something.
Speaker 3: Life.
Speaker 1: Well, look around, look around. You walk with me outside of this building every day. How many of those men that we encounter would you ask to put up cabinets?
Speaker 3: There's just such a shelving. This may not be the greatest what would you call it the greatest slice of life? You know, in terms of this were.
Speaker 2: Around slice something.
Speaker 3: We're surrounded by the entertainment people stuff. Yeah, so guys that are wearing no socks in their pants up high, and how many.
Speaker 2: Of those people would you have sex with? Honestly?
Speaker 3: Would I? Yes, probably zero. I'm just going to go out on lim and say zero.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying there's a reason the birth rate is low.
Speaker 3: There is also a story that came out today. Wall Street Journal suggests that Apple says the majority of the devices that are going to be shipped into the United States next quarter starting June first, will come from either India or Vietnam because the tariffs on those countries would be lower than the products coming in from China, so they're heavy.
Speaker 2: The Vietnam right now is just like let's go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're ready. You know, they have some of.
Speaker 1: The I've got business with China. I've got business with the United States. Let's crank this stuff out. It's an all request Friday. Let us know what you'd like to hear it. Oh yeah, let's see if we've gotten anything. I decided to fire up Twitter today. We don't use Twitter often, and we're using it today. Let's see if we're dust off. The password, didn't you? No, I did not use I have no idea what the password is. I'm just grandfathered in here. Oh let's see here we have no nobody not not anybody has uh has has responded.
Speaker 3: For people who forgotten.
Speaker 2: Nobody listens to this show.
Speaker 1: If you go to Twitter, we are just two crazy people in a room.
Speaker 2: Am I not using it correctly?
Speaker 3: Or did literally? Nobody respond at Gary and Shannon on Twitter is where you find this and you can leave your your requests.
Speaker 2: Hmm interesting.
Speaker 3: We will be right back, Amy. What are we going to play?
Speaker 1: We have no requests nothing if we don't get anything, okay, just no music, no music, okay, cold InTru see what you've done?
Speaker 3: Raw Dog? That that break? Amy? Sorry?
Speaker 2: Everyone?
Speaker 3: Just oh I.
Speaker 2: Liked it? No, I think it's great.
Speaker 1: If you're coming into the Friday, Raw Dog in it already, let's go.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from kf I am six forty.
Speaker 3: The latest with Marco Ruby. Because we said yesterday he's going to take over as National Security Advisor in the interim. He's also been acting as the administrator for the United States Agency for International Development USAID and the Archivist, the official archivist for the United States.
Speaker 1: In that vein, there should be a lot of jobs slashed at the White House and surrounding the White House. If Marco Rubio is able to do all those jobs, should they really exist? And to that end, apparently the White House has been considering, and we'll talk about it coming up in Swamp Watch at eleven, has been considering what they're calling a purge at the White House from just you know, they're cutting the fat and agencies and they're looking at themselves as well.
Speaker 3: A big, huge earthquake, a seven point five magnitude quake struck off the coast of Argentina earlier today, and there was a warning of a tsunami for neighboring Chile. Authorities said the coastal area of the Maga Yanis region in southern Chile. Myighthead might have to be evacuated because of tsunami risk. It has not materialized. We're gonna see some rain, it looks like over the weekend, or at least the possibility. Temperatures today tomorrow Sunday probably ten to fifteen degrees below what they should be at the beginning of May.
Speaker 2: That's just awful. Did we do the money thing yet?
Speaker 3: No, let's do that. Let's do that now.
Speaker 4: Your chance to win one thousand dollars just enter this nationwide keyword on our website cash.
Speaker 3: That's cash Ceash.
Speaker 4: Edward now at KFI AM six forty dot com. Slash Cash Howard by Sweet James Accident Attorneys. If you're hurting an accident, Winning is everything called the Winning Attorneys at Sweet James one eight hundred nine million. That's one eight hundred nine million or sweet James dot com.
Speaker 3: Again, the keyword cash goes on the website, will make it, will make it available to you again an hour from now. That is try to give you a thousand bucks.
Speaker 1: President Trump says he is going to strip Harvard University of its tax exempt status. He made the announcement in a post on truth Social said it's what they deserve. The White House that asked the irs to take away the school's status last month, after Trump threatened to stop funding at top schools to pressure them to get rid of DEI programs, among other things, Harvard sued the administration over the canceling of the funds.
Speaker 2: So here we are.
Speaker 1: He's also cutting funds to MPR and PBS.
Speaker 3: This is going to be I think the biggest basic issue of what the President is doing is that it arguably goes against the First Amendment at least that's what Harvard has been saying, but also against the Article one of the Constitution, which basically says Congress controls the purse spring purse strings. Congress is the one that decides how money is spent. And if Congress has decided that Harvard's going to get money like this, on a very very basic level, the President can't do anything about it. What he's referring to is he doesn't get to pull tax exempt status. It's up to the Internal Revenue Service. It's up to the Department of the Treasury. If they pull tax exempt status. I don't know how he's going to be able to do that. Again, one thing he says on truth Social does not make it law. And again the old adage, you don't take him literally, but you do take him seriously about what he's saying. Yes, he has the levers by which to make some of that happen, but just shouting into the ether about it on Truth Social doesn't make it actually a thing. The NPR thing is what I find most interesting, because they're talking about millions of dollars. Each year, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting CPB sends out five hundred and thirty five million dollars in taxpayer funds to the public radio and TV stations nationwide.
Speaker 1: It's about one percent of MPR's budget. Yeah, so nothing, but it's a lot of taxpayer money going to a not completely not even not completely unbiased, a completely biased outfit. Whether you like them or not. I like MPR for some of the stories that they do. They do a really great job. There's a lot of great work that's done there. But in terms of the country and the sway of the news, it's wildly biased. If you're going to have taxpayer dollars go to a broadcast station, it has to have complete autonomy from any sort.
Speaker 3: Of political sway. And they don't even see it as being unbiased.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think they must.
Speaker 1: Well, I think they pride themselves on being biased at this point in American political culture.
Speaker 3: Well, there there was if you remember, Jim Jordan, the Congressman, asked the head of NPR if they're biased at all?
Speaker 5: Is NPR biased? Congressman, I have never seen any instance of never of pro political bias determining editorial decisions, now.
Speaker 3: Determining editorial decisions, editorial positions.
Speaker 2: At because they hire people eighty.
Speaker 3: Seven registered Democrats zero Republicans. Is that accurate?
Speaker 5: We do not track the numbers or the voter registration eighty seven to zero, and you're not biased. I think that is concerning if those numbers are accurate, and that.
Speaker 1: Was her fatal mistake right there. I think those are concerning if they're accurate. Of course they're accurate. And yes they're concerning, and you're agreeing that they're concerning. But whatever, that's neither here nor there. I do like the work that they do. I don't think taxpayer money should go towards a broadcast company, especially when the broadcast company does come with opinions.
Speaker 3: It is hot Chimney talk time when we come back.
Speaker 1: Oh hot Chimney talk. Yeah, all right, are we getting requests?
Speaker 3: Yes we are?
Speaker 1: Okay, excellent. I've got a horrible story out of Yellowstone. A pickup trucks collided with a tour van. Seven people have died.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: It happened last night about seven fifteen pm near Henry's Lake State Park. It's about sixteen miles west of Yellowstone. Both vehicles caught fire after the crash. Driver of the Dodge Ram pickup died, along with six people inside the Mercedes passenger van. The van was carrying a tour group of fourteen people. My god, that's awful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, come back your request songs and the latest chimney talk when it comes to conclave.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: The papal smoke signals are ready to go.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Vatican workers have hoisted a chimney onto the roof of the Sistine Chapel. Apparently this chimney is not there all the time. I did not know that, nor did I. This will be the chimney used in burning the ballots for the conclave that will elect a new pope. The secret meetings begin what they is a second five days five days, those secret meetings begin.
Speaker 3: It's Sunday. I meant Wednesday, the seventh.
Speaker 1: You know, I was just going to give you some leeway. As we get older, the days they all run together. The sequestered cardinals will be using this chimney to tell the outside world whether they have elected a new leader. Black smoke will signify no decision. White will announce the pope has been elected. It is the two hundred and sixty seventh Pope. If you are keeping score. So wait, when do they put the black smoke out at the end of every day?
Speaker 2: They don't have a decision.
Speaker 3: At the end of every ballot that they take. I don't know if they do one a day, they do four a day, I believe, Okay, well then yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 2: Four black smoke situation. That's a lot of pollution.
Speaker 3: That's what the finger quotes smoke comes from. Is them burning the ballot, right, They of course add something to it to make sure that it shows up black. And then when they do have a pope, the smoke is white. What do they add to it it? I do know something, Papal, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Huh. Another mystery of the faith?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 3: What it is?
Speaker 2: Another mystery of the faith. Sometimes we just don't know, Shannon.
Speaker 3: That's where faith comes in. You saw you saw the Indiana Jones in the Last Crusade.
Speaker 2: You're damn right.
Speaker 3: And he had to take that leap of faith. He had to close his eyes, just take out that step, and he didn't think anything.
Speaker 1: Is that the one when they're in the caves and there's all the creatures.
Speaker 3: Every one of the movies has that, got it? The creatures in the cave. Got it? Yeah, this is when they're going after the Holy Grail and he's in there. There's he walks in and there's like a cave.
Speaker 1: Oh is this where it's like a puzzle, like which steps to step on?
Speaker 3: Also, just about every single wa movies has that got it steps in the puzzle thing?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: He anyway?
Speaker 2: Do you remember that?
Speaker 3: And then they say only the penitent man shall pass. He's got he's got a Niel before and I didn't know what penitent meant, and now you do.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, Indiana Jones taught to you a lot about your faith.
Speaker 2: I liked his dry wit. Who Indiana Jones?
Speaker 3: Oh that guy? Yeah, Doctor Jones really good. He was a doctor I love, at least give him that.
Speaker 1: I love Harrison Ford. Who do you like better, Harrison Ford or the other guy?
Speaker 3: Hmm, Chewbaca.
Speaker 2: No, I mean the other big guy that's in all the uh.
Speaker 1: Uh And I just realized I was eighty seven.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, I'll let you think about who the other guy is.
Speaker 2: There is no other Indiana Jones.
Speaker 3: I don't know what she's talking about.
Speaker 2: As star wars.
Speaker 3: Amy sometime Harsnig Morener, Kevin Costner.
Speaker 2: There are Costners known in Star Wars.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying they're bold, like white, tall guys actors at a certain era.
Speaker 2: Harrison Ford's like eighty something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Harrison Ford's got twenty years on. Kevin Costner really well.
Speaker 2: In my youth, they were everywhere. They were the same person, they were the same guy.
Speaker 3: I would say I prefer Kevin Costner only because of his three Baseball movies.
Speaker 1: I prefer Harrison Ford because I think he'd come on this show.
Speaker 3: Well, anytime you want to invite him. We have open chairs in this room.
Speaker 2: How old do you think Kevin Costner is.
Speaker 3: I think he's sixty four.
Speaker 2: He's seventy, is he really? Yes?
Speaker 1: And Harrison Ford is eighty two, twelve years sold. So they're basically like you and me. And it is funny because one of them is in Yellowstone and one of them is in the Yellowstone prequel.
Speaker 2: The nineteen Oh oh my goodness, look at that.
Speaker 3: You get him both on the show.
Speaker 2: See I told you, guys.
Speaker 3: He Talksmack about Tyler Sheridan one hundred and thirty three vote members of the College of Cardinals. The closed door process, of course, begins on Wednesday. There's a lot that's been said. By the way, we mentioned yesterday that a lot of these cardinals as they make their way into town, into the middle of Rome, that they've been hanging out at all these restaurants, and they're saying there's a lot of the pregame political discussions that are going on, even though like a sequester jury, they're not supposed to talk about the case, they're not supposed to do the politicking.
Speaker 1: No, but it's twenty twenty five and nothing is sacred. I mean not to be make a pun out of it, but really nothing is sacred. Everything has been tainted this day and age. Everything has made public. There's dramas, everything is a reality show. This should be no different, and I don't think it will be this time. I think we're going to hear dirt coming out of this conclave the way we've never heard it before, because the last time we had this was what two thousand and five, thirteen. Yeah, but the whole death of the pope and the whole death of the pope, Yeah, that was a difference of circumstances.
Speaker 2: Back in two thousand and five. You know, we didn't have the kind of.
Speaker 1: You know, media that we have we didn't have the kind of news cycle we have now.
Speaker 3: Somebody yesterday when we were talking about the care they take with the food going in, Yeah, they don't want notes being passed. Somebody said, why wouldn't they just text messages to the cardinals. You're not allowed to take phones into the conclave, no devices of any kind.
Speaker 1: Well, there's something under those robes, you know. Those robes can hide a lot of secrets.
Speaker 3: A lot of sins. We have terror in the skies, we have terror in space. We have terror on the sea and terror on the rails.
Speaker 1: Man, that's a lot of terror. Where's that that stinger you played earlier? Well, the one that's a little bit terrifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this, that's more apropos for this.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well you know what that's from. That's from Fear of the Walking Dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it makes me think about the undead.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and jenn And on demand from KFI A M six forty.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, we have a bunch of these terror, terrors, terrors to get through, terrors, not just terror, not that part. Do the other one yelling?
Speaker 1: Why are you yelling at him? Well, you got he's a master of sound.
Speaker 3: You get the name right off my plan, Roger Rogers. Let's our vector, Victor Enos enough, I have had to put these mumpy pipe snakes on this money.
Speaker 4: It's Gary and Shannon's.
Speaker 3: Terror in the Skies on KFI.
Speaker 2: I've taken cruises.
Speaker 1: I was fortunate enough to take cruises as a kid with my family, grew up went on cruises. I've done a lot of different cruise lines, and on Carnival people don't play all right.
Speaker 2: Carnival is where you go if you're a little bit more rough around the edge.
Speaker 3: Carnival is the frontier or spear at airlines of I wouldn't go.
Speaker 1: That far, but you know, I can see this happening on a Carnival cruise where a massive brawl erupted, landing twenty four people on the do not Sail list.
Speaker 3: And the best part is this was after the cruise. This was all They've already come back after a seven day cruise and I guess they're doing there waiting for the luggage thing at customs and that's when the fight started.
Speaker 2: You take away the rum and you get the uh, you get the nerves.
Speaker 3: Yeah. A handful of stories on the airlines, A Southwest flight headed for Houston did not take off from l passer. This week, one of the passenger's cell phone caught on fires. They were preparing for departure, with keys becoming a problem. Another one, an airline passenger from La to Cancun, took to social media to shave a share the way a flight crew handled a person vaping while on board. A lady decided that she needed to vape a bit because she was so stressed out, so she goes into the lavatory. The pilot said, you're gonna I'm gonna turn this plane around. I'm another one, the guy. A pair of disrupted, disruptive passengers kicked off a Viva arrowbus flight in Mexico because they were yanking other people's luggage out of the overhead.
Speaker 1: How about snakes on a train? That is what happened in Japan. Japan's busiest bullet train line was grounded to a halt because a thirty nine inch reptile slithered onto an overhead power line entangled itself.
Speaker 2: Thirty nine inches. That's like, that's like this big.
Speaker 3: It's a yard. One yard.
Speaker 2: Is a yard.
Speaker 3: That's about it. That's a little more than a year. Yeah, it is you have longer arms than you think.
Speaker 2: Now I feel self conscious? Why about my long arms?
Speaker 3: No, it's a very it's a very reputable trait to have long arms. Oh there's what I love is that there's a picture of the completely fried and dead snake that they're measuring. And then finally, if all of this is too much, there will soon be a Soviet era spacecraft that will fall to the Earth and plunge somebody into darkness forever. Still too early to know where this almost car sized mass of metal might come down. This thing was launched in the seventies. In nineteen seventy two, the Cosmos four to eight to two spacecraft was supposed to be on its way to Venus, never made it out of Earth's orbit because of a rocket malfunction, and for the last fifty three years it's been in a what they refer to as a highly elliptical orbit, gradually dropping in altitude. And they said, finally, sometime next week, this thing is going to get into the atmosphere enough that it slows down, cannot sustain that orbit, and fall on someone's head potentially. I mean, chances are slim, but you're telling me there's a chance.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see what request we have up. I think we should take someone from Twitter. I'm checking now and I've got one.
Speaker 3: Okay, excellent Gary.
Speaker 2: She made Carl's dream come true.
Speaker 3: We'll continue on our all request Friday. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show, you can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app