Speaker 1: And it is the Drive with Spence. Check it's here on ESPN seven hundred and ninety two one FM, proud to be a part of Utah's ESPN Radio Network. I'm Scott Mitchell. I'm going in for Spence today, tomorrow and right. So glad you could join the show. We've got some crazy stuff going on in the world of sports. I mean, it is crazy, it's eventful, it is it is the beginning of all the excitement. Really is. You've got Major League Baseball, big trade, You've got gambling going on, you've got video games, you have former players being cut, you have former players we're going to talk to from up on the hill. We've got NFL nuttiness, We've got some we've got broadcasters. We've broadcast millions of sport. We got so much fun with There's just a lot to talk about. And we got the data because it's all about the data, folks, That's that's what it matters. So really, glad you could could join the program. And look, if you miss a part of it, don't panic. So if you're here just for the beginning, there's gonna be a lot and you don't want to miss any of it. So you can just download the ESPN seven hundred Sports app. You can go to the ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. You can stream us, you can podcast this, you can download us. You can do all kinds of fun stuff. And you're not gonna miss a moment, like, not a single moment of what's actually happening here with the show. So really excited to be here, of course I am every day. I love to talk about sports, a lot of a lot of stuff. Always fun to talk about, all right. Porter actually did mention this in his little update there. He talked about Zach Moss. Oh Man, Zach Moss was actually cut by the Cincinnati Bengals. I was really bummed by that. By the way, Zach was a fun player to watch when he was at Utah, and he was very impressive to me in the sense that he could find the smallest little crease at the line of scrimmage and scoot right through it. And he had this ability to run tough on the on the inside, but also he had a burst he could get out and get out on the edge. And I really liked him. Uh and you know, and he and he just kind of I don't know if he if he found he just never seemed to find the perfect fit, but he fit in and uh, you know, he has had some injuries, and of course the Bengals drafted a couple of guys and that means you're expendable. So a little bit bummed that Zach Moss was actually let go by the Bengals. But clearly this early in training camp, uh you know, there there's there's probably a pretty significant injury without having preseason games for a player too to get caught like that. So anyways, it's it's uh, it's just kind of hopefully he's either healthy or finds a good spot because I like I like Zack Moss. He belongs in the NFL. He belongs there every week. I need I need some clarific here. So maybe Porter could help me out on this one. You have cam Ward of course, he was the number one pick in the draft and he's kind of been struggling in practice and he said that their offense right now is very mid, and I don't know what mid means. Do you know what mid means? Porter?
Speaker 2: Yes, Scott, we're just going to go with like average, right, Okay, you know it's not it's road special. It's it's yeah, middle of the road, it's it's in the mean the median somewhere in there, I guess instead of yeah, where does inventing words now or using words to mean other things to mean other things?
Speaker 1: Yeah, mid I what I've learned is that pretty much every day, every word I say on the radio, if you go in the urban Dictionary, I'm offending about four million people every word that comes out of my mouth. I had no idea of all these things. If you hang around younger people, millennials and some of those folks, uh, they will they will correct you. I'm not I don't know what you are. Porter. I think you're a human being, but uh, you know, I'm not. I'm not dissing if you're a millennial or any of that stuff or gen z.
Speaker 3: Or I think technically a millennial.
Speaker 1: Ish are you like the tail end of millennial?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I just I just turned thirty, so I'm like on the on the border there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could be my son. You want me to adopt you, a Porter, I could we could have like a ceremonial. I would I would be happy if you have myself.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm absent to father Scott as of a few years ago, so we're, oh, yeah, sorry to hear that you can pay my rent or something.
Speaker 1: If you want, Hey, I'm right on it. Just send me, send me the invoice so I'll get right on it. So so what cam Ward was actually saying is like, hey, don't panic everyone. Even though I've thrown four million interceptions in the last couple of days, We're still okay, Like we're not We're not in the dumps, you know, We're we're We're gonna fight through this. And and it was it was fascinating to me, and it brings back so many memories when you read about some of these young players and they're starting out in their NFL careers and it's just it's a little bit overwhelming. I think mid is probably a team word, or it's probably like my hair is on fire is more the accurate description of probably where Camra Reward is right now. But he's trying to keep it cool, kind of keep it under control here. And it reminded me of my rookie year in the NFL and I went I went to my first mini camp and I was not mid. I was like in the dump. I mean it was I was like, I can't do this like this is too fast. These guys are too good. I am too bad, and this is not going to work out. And I was extremely disappointed. And they had a banquet one one night, you know. So I was there like three days for this little mini camp, and so one of the nights we had a team banquet and they drove us down to this nice hotel in downtown Miami and they're doing the team awards in the highlight film and Coach Shula gets up to speak, and uh, Bob Greasey gets up to speak, you know, he's kind of one of the legends for the Dolphins, and and he calls me out my name in the in this you know, this huge team you know banquet thing where there were fans and all kinds of people there, And like, what are you talking about me for? I'm just this little rookie fourth round draft choice from Utah. I've only been here a day and and Bob Greasey's calling me out the team banquet and what he said, He goes, yeah, he's his boy, watching that Scott Mitchell out there kind of struggling. Uh, brought me back to when I was a rookie. And he goes, I went through those same those same growing pains, and it's a it's a fascinating thing process to go through as a player when you when you move through your career and you you know, and and especially going from college to professional football, and there's this part of you that's like can I even do this? Like am I even capable of doing this? And then all of a sudden, the light bulb just clicks on. And of course if it doesn't ever click on, that means you can't do it. So that's kind of the barometer. Light bulb clicks on, You're okay, you're gonna make it. But if it doesn't, then you need to, I don't know, find a new profession or it will find you. But when you're going through it and the light bulb isn't on, you do feel like you're in darkness and you're like is it ever going to get light again? And it's a scary, scary thing to kind of go through. But man, once it clicks in and it's you know, it's a process. And just hearing Cam Woarr talk about I need to watch more film, I need to work more with these receivers. I need to you know, understand this much better than I do right now. And the only way to do it is just to experience it. You just have to go through it. So it was kind of it was kind of interesting to see and to hear, you know, cam Ward, and quite frankly, the more honest you are about where you are, the faster you're going to get better. And sometimes people aren't really in an honest place about where they are as a player, and that means you're kind of fooling yourself and kind of deceiving yourself about where you are. Okay, so much is happening today, and I find all of this stuff so fascinating. But the one that kind of this will be kind of weird, but it's so interesting is this whole thing about video games. And I talked about this on my show earlier today, that Down and Dirty, which airs here on ESPN seven or ninety two one FM ten to eleven. You can hear us there and then you just listen all day. You get to you get Sean, you get Spence, And on occasion I fell in for those guys like I'm I'm the pitch, I'm the pinch hitter, I'm I'm the I'm the the sixth man and uh, hopefully I get awards for I get the sixth Man of the Year award at ESPN seven hundred. Anyways, I was talking about video games and more specifically Madden and how how the Madden system of ranking players and there's not very many to get like this special ninety nine rating. Did you ever play Did you ever play video games? Porter?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I grew up mostly it was always a sports game, so just kind of mad in college football usually.
Speaker 1: So you were you were a Madden guy. Yeah, And this ninety nine club came.
Speaker 3: Out sought after.
Speaker 1: It's red. There's not many players in it, and and I was shocked at how few were actually in this Madden you know, the ninety nine club, which is the thing. It's like, what is it? It's like Club thirty three at Disney. It's kind of a special secret place. So Sattwan Barkley was there. I'm sorry, go ahead, there's a secret club at Disney. Huh Oh you didn't know about this?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Oh it's Club thirty three.
Speaker 3: Is that just for like the NFL quarterbacks?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, this is this is the Club thirty three at Disney. Is a big deal. Yeah, like you have to. I mean they let people in, but yeah, not a lot of people. And it's a very special deal. And at the different disneys I think they have I think they have it. I know they have it at disney World, and I know they have it at disney Land, And so it's like in like it might be on Main Street. I think at disney World it's it's by the New Orleans or Pirates of the Caribbean and kind of in that area. But yeah, it's a it's a she shee place for just a select few. So just like this ninety nine club is with Maddon and so I'm fascinated that. So Saquon Barclay's on it, Lane Johnson a right tackle, not even a left tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Jamar Chase, Justin Jefferson, and Miles Garrett. Those Now there's no Joe Burrow, there's no Patrick Mahomes. There's only one defensive player on the whole thing. I think that's insane. I think it's crazy. But what's more crazy is how many people like spend so much time watching video games or playing them. And I know, I know, personally, I can't watch them. I can't play him. I can play them like meaning I have the capability, but I cannot. I cannot do it because if I did, I would be so consumed by playing them that I would I just would. I wouldn't be in a good as a human being, like I would just be an absolute mess. Speaking of back in my rookie year, the same we had a player and the player was a tight end and he was my roommate. And so I get off the bus again, I have no idea what I'm doing. I go in my room and there's my roommate and he's sitting there playing Super Mario Brothers. And for him, all he wanted to do the whole time we were at this mini camp was play Super Mario Brothers. I go in the room, he's playing it. I go to bed at night, he's playing it. And this is nineteen ninety and he would not he would not stop playing it. And so I, instead of watching television, I watched my roommate play Super Mario Brothers. And for him, it was like he was just trying to pass the time, and he was just I mean, he brought his own you know, his own box, his own game, his own and like he was really into this. And then later on in my career when I was playing for the Bengals, there was a the team had a room like the players Lounge, and players would play Madden and they would play it for hours. Now, as a quarterback, you spend a lot of time at the facility studying. And I would be studying and it might be seven eight o'clock at night and these guys were still in this room playing video games. And these are like NFL players, Like it's like not studying their playbook and would have and and it got at times kind of heated because you know, someone would win and lose and they had some kind of tournament whatever going on. But it was a big deal, which brings me to the to the next thing. Like basically football players a bunch of grown boys just doing you know, that's really that's really the best way to describe professional sports. Just a bunch of boys who just have money now, but they still like the sillies, you know, nonsensical things that boys. And this this whole thing with Gilbert Arenas and and it's you know, it's it's a serious deal. You know where where you know there's uh there I mean, you get arrested. You have these these things going on now Now now poker games and stuff have have become kind of a you know, Sheishi thing. People do it. You know, they kind of have a lot of Hollywood people. You have a lot of people are interested in this. You know, Texas Holdham tournaments and all that stuff. I remember back when I was a player again, so I'm going back in my time as a player here and that was a common a common occurrence poker games a common occurrence on like the airplane, and you would have you'd have like guys sitting kind of in the aisle around a group of seats and they put something in the I don't know what it was, but it's kind of served as their as their table now back then, and it was all for money and they're just playing poker, just a bunch of guys together playing poker, and it would carry over into someone's room as soon as as soon as the plane landed. And at the time, I think the biggest pot ended up being like thirty five thousand dollars, which was a lot of money back in the day. But the whole idea of these players, like you know, just playing video games gambling, and you kind of see it now today. It's just it's just it's just a it's a bigger thing and a bigger problem. And this, this whole gambling thing with Gilbert Renez is a much serious thing. But it certainly stems from, you know, a lot of interest in gambling today. I'm not an advocate for gambling. I'm not a judge of people who gamble, but it can be a serious problem. And that's why I stay away from it because I know that I have. I just don't want to find out how addicted to it I could become. Because I did have an addiction one time in my life, and that was that was soap operas. And I was like thirteen and one summer I just got hooked on soap operas and I couldn't stop watching them. And I just burned a whole summer. You know, it'd be like ten o'clock till two in the afternoon. I did nothing but watch soap operas. And so I can't have that happen again. I can't take the chance. So I stay away from Madden, I stay away from gambling, and that's my life. Hey, we're gonna take a little break here when we come back. I believe we have Trevor Riley because number one Sports Talk. I'm Scott Mitchell filling in for Spence all week. I'm here all week. I'm here twice on Saturday, and enjoy the HDL and make sure to tip your waiter. I'm excited about what's going to happen right now. I'll tell you that much. We have with us none other than Trevor Riley, former Utah Great and former NFL player and former coach, current coach, former coach, Trevor. Welcome to the show. How you doing today?
Speaker 6: Well, I just want to say, mister Mitchell, it's an honor to speak to a legend. I'm doing very very well.
Speaker 1: How you doing? You know, I'm living a dream and it's not a nightmare. So I feel like I'm up one, you know, on the competition here a little bit. What are you up to these days?
Speaker 6: Well, and that's the question today up too is we got football practice to night of six forty five UTA Islanders at Zions Banks Stadium in Herriman. We we got Snow College in about twenty five days August twenty third.
Speaker 1: Oh, very very very nice. I good for you. Well, thanks for joining the show. I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Well, it's great to be here. I want to ask you a question, Scott quickly getting into it, what do you think of Utah's quarterback? I got to ask you. I went and saw him the other day. I have asked you questions. I want to think, Well, what's your take on this guy? I don't know much about them. I'm kind of to not being the loop. Can you fill me in? What do you think of this kid?
Speaker 1: Well, let me tell you about Devon dam Pier. You know, the quarterback right lee or wrongly, has such an impact on the outcome of games, and even more so in college And what I like about Devon Dampier is that he really is a multifaceted player. He can manufacture offense in a lot of different ways. He has the best sack ratio of any player in college football, so he doesn't get sacked very often. He's very elusive. He's a he's a smart runner. You know, I think I think Cam Rising maybe wasn't a smart runner. You know, he liked to run into trouble and uh, you know which was you know, part of what made him great too. But uh, and Devin control the ball of fairly effective. So you know, I believe he's a catalyst for Utah to be being able to be more explosive and score more points on offense. And and if you if you do that, then then the team certainly is going to have a very very good year this year. I don't I don't see it being a real big problem that he's kind of moving up, you know, in a in a tier of sports. You know, I think he's you know, because he's a really good athlete. He'll adjust to everything. He's got some good people around him. Offensive line, U wide receiver position is still kind of up for grabs, But I think he's going to have a huge impact on the team this year. I really do. Well.
Speaker 6: I appreciate repill me and I'm asking because I'm going to be going to practice tomorrow sometime next week. I'm gonna be looking at the kid. We're running the spread offense in our team, and I know Utah it's going to be well a newbie, but really an oldie if you go back to Irber and the other stuff. The spread offense. Man, you know, I'm just I'm learning a little bit about it and where I've heard about this kid because he's a winner. I know they won five games last year in Mexico, maybe four, but not an easy place to win. And I hear that this kid has the intangibles. This is a little short, but I'm interested to see. You know, I know how big you are, Sky, I know you know, in the old school offenses, that was kind of a premium. So I'm interested to.
Speaker 5: See how works.
Speaker 6: You know, he's the shorter guy, but they're running a more spread, open offense. I think I'm interested to see.
Speaker 5: If it works.
Speaker 6: Honestly, this is a new before it's been a while since we run this offense.
Speaker 1: I think it worked. Here's the thing about offense. I'll just get I'll just enlighten you. Okay, it's really simple. You just pick a guy and let it fly. That was the best advice I ever got, and and it was really good advice. And then the other advice was, no matter how good your defense is, you can't beat a perfect throw. So that's true. That's all you got to do. You just you just make a perfect throw and pick a guy and just let it fly, and everything else will happen. All right, I have to ask you this. I I have been wanting to ask you this question for some time now. I need I need to understand. Are you on an NDA where you can't talk about your experience at Colorado or can you can?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 6: I can talk about I mean, yeah, I can talk about it. I don't like to hide anything, right, absolutely, if it's a fair game. They all talked about it.
Speaker 1: So what was what was Deon like? Because he's fascinating to me because he's so flashy, you know, and he's so kind of in your face, but there's a lot of substance there, and I really like a lot of things that he says and does. What was it really like coaching with him?
Speaker 6: I would say that as a former NFL guy, he's about his cliches about that that's kind of a moniker or a character when he's in the public light. But at the same time, he really wants to help these kids. So his heart and the message behind closed doors is always about the kids first, and even with the you know, when you talk about football stuff, he wants to take care of the kids like players like like pros. I mean, so it's the whole the whole conversation is always about kids with him. Now, some of the extracurricular stuff people get excited about. I look at it more like the WWE, the you know, football and Twitter and the Internet in general is a platform for characters, and I think Dion plays the role as well as he can. He's trying to enact change in his you know, the communities that he grew up in and coming to Colorado Becott. You know, that's not the most urban setting or the most his black people just there's not a lot of them there.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 6: He's bringing a whole different type of message to a group of people, and it's it's an interesting thing to watch. It's kind of like, you know, it's machine learning. It's two totally different types of machines interacting. And I'm a big fan of theon. You know, everybody has their faults or problems, especially me. I'm not anyone to say that, so whenever people are critical of anybody, I'm always you know, what's the the big general message with him is he wants to help kids, and I think he's put his money where his mouth is.
Speaker 1: I'm glad to hear that because I do. I like a lot of what he says, and I can resonate with a lot of it, so it is fascinating. Speaking of Dion, he's hired Marshall Fall Hall of Famer, Warren Sapp, Hall of Famer, Byron Lefwich, longtime NFL quarterback, Super Bowl champion himself. He surrounded himself with a bunch of Hall of Fame NFL players. Is that a good Is that a good thing? Does that work having all these because there's kind of maybe this, well, NFL players they don't really want to, you know, spend the time and put in the hours like a like a coach has to do. Maybe they're a little bit of prima donna. What what do you feel about hiring a significant amount of high profile former NFL plays?
Speaker 6: Well, I think it's definitely a double edged short because a lot of times US players that we get ready for it. We can get ourselves ready for the game, right when you're talking about getting ten other people ready, that's a whole other animal. Sometimes personal routines don't cross over. With all that being said, Warren Staff was fantastic a short time I spent with him. He was fantastic, inspiring, informative. Now to your point about NFL guys, right, especially some Hall of famers, they're not going to get coffee, and they they've paid their dues to the game in that regard, and that sometimes doesn't sit with coaches. But you and I were in the NFL, dude. You if you're a Hall of Famer, you walk into a room of football guys and you're the gap. And so that's kind of a thing where with Warren, with Marshall, with with Prime, I think Prime, uh, you know, as Prime always says, even in the Hall of Fame, there's levels to it, right, I think Prime is probably in the penthouse of the first team. All a history of the NFL is probably on sand question. So in that room, right, he still carries a little bit of weight. There's still a little bit of reverence. Right when Dion says something with football, it's like, that's Deion Sanders, dude.
Speaker 1: So back when you played, for some reason, I got in the first segment I got, I went, I went kind of down memory lane a little bit, and there was one of the things that popped in my head. I didn't say it on the radio, but I remember a time when Coachula, who was pretty hard nosed, and you played for a guy Bilichick who was pretty hard nosed, well, and winningham was no you know, uh aqual either. But Coachula one year said, hey, all the veteran players can stay home during training and but if we have any issues, then you're all back in the dorm. So we have this big meeting, like, you know, hey, don't screw this up, like Coachla doesn't do stuff like this. So this is nice that we can stay home. And so you know, we go two or three days and the guy guy messes up big time, really bad. And he in fact, he he didn't show up one day for practice and and he didn't show up till six o'clock that night, and he made up this. He made up the story that he was kidnapped and and he was taken out into the ever.
Speaker 6: Place such like Miami, I got a story like this to keep going, keep going. Could happen?
Speaker 1: No, it did.
Speaker 5: So it's just like this.
Speaker 6: Guy's in the says they took me to the Everglades.
Speaker 1: Really they took him out in the Everglades. He took his car, he had to walk back. And so so the FBI gets involved in this and they start asking questions. They realize this guy's not telling the truth. It's he finally admits the truth. He says, look, I slept in, I panicked. I didn't want to mess it up for the team, so I made up this story. Oh I got kidding. So so back in the dorms we go, and the team was so furious with this guy that they taped him to a palm tree. Oh my bigness. And and he was out there, you know, with the with the athletic tape. You know, they taped your ankles. They this guy do a palm tree for he was and he was out there all night long. Did you ever have any crazy things like that happened when you played in the NFL.
Speaker 6: I gotta tell you. College was a little college. We had more of that stuff. Okay, Okay, College was and it got cleaned up.
Speaker 4: As we got older. Okay, but there was a lot of that hazy but it would.
Speaker 6: Say we were just wild man, you know, twenty years ago, fifteen years ago, guys would do wild stuff.
Speaker 4: And in the NFL we saw a little bit.
Speaker 6: Of that carried you know, helmets.
Speaker 1: You're there.
Speaker 6: And I saw rookie dinner in Miami. I was playing for the Dolphins. I saw a lot of stuff in Miami. I was only there for six month. I saw some crazy stuff in Miami. But we had a rookie dinner where you know I was. I was in a rookie but I was there. And this is the end of the season and one of the one of the vets right Hall of Fame guy. It was the table. So it's about thirty five grand. He says, give me five thousand dollars your finest wine to go.
Speaker 4: It's not high.
Speaker 6: I want to get to four thousands. He walked out. So you see, while somebody I saw a guy in Miami one time, a linebacker. He didn't show up for the first game. Okay, we're in La he goes missing. I mean, that doesn't happen. Then we find out he's flown out to his former team. And this is all during the week of the game. So any story you tell me about Miami Dolphins, Scott, I gotta tell you.
Speaker 4: I believe you.
Speaker 6: And they made a movie about it, didn't Jim Carey wasn't he in a movie? They spintera PEP Detective was not about somebody in the Dolphins.
Speaker 1: Well it was it was Dan Marino and that someone stole the Miami Dolphin mascot the dolphin.
Speaker 6: There you go, who had done it?
Speaker 4: Okay, And I gotta tell you the.
Speaker 6: Dolphins is why I described Miami. I see it's like Lostgas and Ellie had a baby.
Speaker 1: Dude, you know what that is a perfect that. Yeah, I was just going to say this is you know, they say what state. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, and Miami's probably ten times worse.
Speaker 6: So, oh, dude, I went to spring Bak there one time, and we tell you what th just can't tell the stories here, but you see wild stuff and just like I saw that, I didn't. I just show the NFL was wild, but Miami was. I was in New York, Miami, in Boston, Miami and the short time I was there was the wildest.
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: So training camps have started, you know, Fall camp at the U has started. Uh, how did how did you like camp? What was your what was your take on going back to football?
Speaker 6: I would say I'm the last of the generation of two a days. They ended my year after I left. They didn't allow them anymore. I think it was twenty fifteen. Wow, we had two days, and I know the old days were harder. They always were harder than the old days, right. They always say that day go Ahead said, of course, I agree with you. So there's always stories of that. But I remember camp being time to compete. So there was always jobs and for whatever reason, they always tried to replacement. You thought I was and it was a good thing because we're bringing good players, right right, So Nate Orchard, right, we were bringing a guys behind me or I was like, and so James Iono. There's a lot of guys that I was always for me. Camp was a time where I had to fight, all right. That was fight time. That was the time to go. I had to whoop some people's butts to make sure and this is my spot, you get what I'm saying. So there was a you don't really compete against the offense or the appointent. You're competing against the offense, and you're competing as an eventsive player against your competition by seeing who can fight harder. And I'm interested to see that. I want to see that fight in this team this year. Scott. I got to tell you they lost a quarterback last year, and I thought they powdered a little bit. I thought we had more in the tank than what we gave. And so I think coach would agree with that. The message year is we're gonna they should fight. We're gonna fight for every down, every inch, or we freaking play. I want to say that you'd fight it out like we used to, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good observation because I would agree with you. And and and there just wasn't There wasn't that uh determination. And you have to wonder because you know, coach Whittingham's done such a great job there and culture and and uh and having that fight and uh and and it felt like he almost slipped up and said, hey, you know, he goes, I couldn't end my career on what happened last year. So it almost sounded like he was ready to retire. And you wonder if maybe subconsciously he was a little bit more relaxed because maybe he thought he was going to retire. And uh and and and because I don't get a sense from the team this year that they're like, oh, you know that there seems to be a sense of urgency. There does seem to be a lot of fight and a lot of a lot of players for a lot of reasons. But uh, I just wonder if that that might have something to do with it. I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think that out. You know this now that they're a pro organization, they're making plans two and three.
Speaker 4: Years in advance.
Speaker 6: They want to win now, right, But when you're buying freshman Okay, everybody have to listen to this. Now, when you're paying rookies, you're buying freshmen, you're paying for development, you're buying you're buying your time right right, you're waiting to see. So it's a fine line. Last year they went all in on the quarterback, right, and not a bad move. You've got a fifth year, sixth you guy coming back, you got Keithy coming back. This is a veteran team, so they thought by the end of the season they were a young team. Because of the injuries and because of.
Speaker 4: What had happened.
Speaker 6: I would say Kyle was not ready because he would probably consider this, maybe he was ready to retire. Because if I'm looking at it, and I haven't told me so, I'm looking at it from an organization standpoint, that's the peak. The peak they're supposed to return the investment on that year. Does that make sense with the quarterback and all the guys returning. That was the year where the full investment return was most to common. It was a complete disaster, obviously due to injuries among other things.
Speaker 1: Speaking of coach winning, am, what's your least favorite memory of coach with you? Oh?
Speaker 6: For sure, when we used to roll. They don't do that here.
Speaker 4: Anymore, but always there.
Speaker 6: When we had to roll.
Speaker 5: They used to roll.
Speaker 6: It's old school military. He did in high school too, but we used to roll. It was the thing in football. And that was the worst memory I ever had a coach. Okay, running if we ever were late or did something really bad, you know, rolling was always last resort. It was like if a guy refused to come to practice or missing study all three or four times. That was my worst memory though as a ute, was always having to roll because I was afraid of it. Was only I couldn't beat everybody up. I would get motion sickness. But other than that, I had a great time with coach. I liked the toughness. I thought it was good for us. I liked everything about it. Honestly, hold on a second.
Speaker 1: When you say roll, would you like just do somersaults and roll?
Speaker 6: And they used to roll on the side. There wasn't like long, long gated roll for fifty yards, roll for one hundred yards, nothing. That was just roll on your side. But what it was was just mental toughness his old school marine training. Again, they don't do that anymore than we've done it for a number of years. But that was, you know, that was That was my least favorite memory of Coach. And other than that, and it wasn't even that bad, right, we're just rolling. It wasn't like it was. But other than that, I Coach was pretty fair, all right. If you talked to him and really have a real conversation, I think people will find it Coach leading him is the fair guy.
Speaker 1: What what? What? Uh? Why did you go to Utah?
Speaker 6: I wasn't going to go to Mike Leaves the tech Okay, I signed there at a high school.
Speaker 4: Leads was you know, he's in the I had an interesting family, right.
Speaker 6: We're from San Diego, we're working in Tijuana, and we're working in the other places. We were contractors and so always making networks everywhere. An uncle mine, Kurt Salisbury, his brother actually Brett Salisbury's mouth coordinator, brother of Shawn Salisbury. I think you know him Scott.
Speaker 4: Quarterback and he's on the radio. Uh.
Speaker 6: He played red with Mike at b YU back in the eighties, and so when I was coming out of high school, Kirk kind of raised me a little bit.
Speaker 1: Right he was.
Speaker 6: And I went to a rugby tournament with Mike Leach and at University Cow it was a ba He re union. When I was sixteen. I got to meet Leech and hang out with him for a weekend. He liked my tape, so I was going to go there. I get off my mission and Leach just one of eleven games and they didn't give me an extension. The whole thing with Adam and then the Adam James thing came up next year. But my dad was like, hey, you might want to read between the lines. He's probably not going to be there much longer. So my brother was walking on in Utah as a basketball player and a football player a j Riley and seven and eight excuse me, and so they knew who he was and they said my brother said, hey, my Trevor is available. And so when I came off my mission and I opened my recruiting and it was the UCLA with Norm chow Utah or Leech at Tech, and so I chose Utah. They had Paul Krueger just graduated and coach. But told me, he says, this is where we see you being the guy. And so that's kind of how that went. Scalley Range with a guy named Steve mcdonne. I told this last week, set up a meeting in Saint George, and the rest is history. But I got to you kind of on a back door deal. I was, you know, it was a push forward. It was kind of basically a walk on.
Speaker 1: What was Mike Leach like? Because I I love to listen to him interview him during the PAC twelve Days like he was just I wanted to go spend like a week with Mike Leach.
Speaker 6: So funny story, Okay, I want to hear my uncle and he's talking to brother telling stories about the time Mike Leach invited my uncle Keith and uncle Kurt to come to love It to present their Pop Warner football offense to him. I swear to you just told me the story. Okay, he says, put it up on the board. So they're up there and they're dissecting our twelve year old Pop Warner football tape and so He's that type of guy. Right when I when I committed to him, I was it was it was in La or something, and he calls me and my uncle's on the phone and by the end of the conversation it was like a half hour. He's talking to me about wild Blueys in Norway.
Speaker 4: Was a very interesting guy.
Speaker 6: I think he went with the flow. I went visiting a Mississippi State and he showed up like the practice every day, and then the team as soon as he showed up late, they stopped the practice. Every player on the team wull start clapping for him and cheering form so complete players coach. Definite cowboy from Cody, Wyoming and he was a great guy to me. Dude, always nice. I always took the time. When we needed to hire it at Jackson State, Dion had me reach out to him and within hours we had to Brett Barborloni another guy as recommendations, and then he invited us out to go visit him. So very open guy, very caring and always was nice to me.
Speaker 1: And again he.
Speaker 6: Invites my uncles to go out and present their Pop Warner offense while he's coaching at Texas tex Just a crazy fun guy.
Speaker 1: Now, So a funny story about Mike Leach. After my second year with the Miami Dolphins, I played in the World League in the offseason with the Miami with the Orlando Thunder, and he was recruiting and came through Florida and stopped at our practice and watched it. Because we ran we ran a no huddle offense and we ran a spread offense essentially like back. Galen Hall was our coach, and we had a wristband we just called the place at the line of scrimmage. And he goes, that's what I want to do, and he says that that was the catalyst that started his whole air raid spread offense.
Speaker 6: To go on that drive down there.
Speaker 1: He told me, yeah, and that that and I was playing for the team back then and that was fun. He was, He was great, what's that?
Speaker 6: Let me ask you that about that offense. Who was the person on your guys staff that was pushing that offense?
Speaker 1: Do you remember? It was Galen Hall? So Galen had been the Yeah, he'd been the coach at at Florida and it's a very offensive minded guy. Had spent a lot of time with actually Joe Paterno at Penn State and we just had like we very very rarely ran the football. It was very fun. I had a blast one of the funnest times. In fact. You you played for the Stallions, the Salt Lake Stallions. Yes, and it was a similar type of thing. Oh. I just loved I loved it, and I was just pulling so so hard for that league to actually succeed. And I just have a tender heart for spring football and all that stuff because it made a huge difference for me in my career. I went back to the game totally.
Speaker 6: When you played and I played, right, it was me, Silver Solana, Mike Purcell, a lot of the Utah Wyoming guys. We were on this team right, and we killed it on defense because our minds were free. We just loved to play. It was fun to play, man. I remember John Peace told me when he got out of the military and was done playing. He came back and was getting his degree at Westminster. He played on a scrimmage team for him and they used to go on practicing people and in his late twenties, Wow, and I asked him, so, why did you do this. I just love to play, man, I just love to play. So that energy then when you're around it. Right, that's the walk on energy that called they'll play for free type guys.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: I love those typic dudes.
Speaker 4: I love the atmosphere.
Speaker 1: It was a fun time, it really was. I get it all right. Well, I'm gonna let you go. Really enjoyed this. Good luck with practice tonight, and hopefully we'll see you around soon. And that's luck to you. Really enjoyed this today, don't.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Yes, mister Mitchell, and always good to talk to you. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: All right, sounds good? All right, there you have a Trevor Riley. What a fun conversation. I hope you enjoyed that, because I sure did. ESPN seven hundred listeners help children at the road homes, start school and style. Stop by the advocates in Ogden, American Fork or Murray. Pick an apple from the tree and you can supply clothes and backpacks for a child at the road home. Every child deserves an advocate. Stop by today. See ESPN seven hundred sports dot com for more details here on ESPN seven hundred ninety two one FM. Proud to be a part of ESPN's network, and of course you Tulls number one to Sports Talk. Oh Man, have so much fun. It's just so fun to talk to Trevor Reiley for a little while ago and just some of the some of the conversations. Crazy day in Sports, I think every day is a crazy day in sports, and it's gonna get crazier right now because Sam Brookhouse from Sumer Sports joins us right now and it's all about the data and they're going to give us the numbers and they're going to tell us what is going on in the world of sports based on the numbers. Sam, Welcome to the program, and how are you today.
Speaker 5: I'm doing great man. Y'all are leading me in with brick House by the Commodores got me out my seat. And I can tell you what definitely could tex gets me out of my seat is some of these highlights from training camp. On the Summer Sports Show, which we just released, we went through the stats of what you can really start to believe, and we also met with some ext general managers and coaches in the NFL to give us a sense of what you can believe because sometimes these highlights, you know, they're just that highlights their cliffs. I know, you know, Scott, how that kind of goes in training camp. You get excited about a guy based off of one thing and then it doesn't pan out all the while. I'm ready. I'm ready for football, man. All it took was two days of training camp and I'm back in So.
Speaker 1: What crazy stat do you have or crazy data have you pulled then from your analysis of training camp?
Speaker 4: So I think you got to just go back to the fundamentals.
Speaker 5: And the fundamentals that we found this summer when we were doing research is that the wide receiver position typically is one where we can get a sense of how a player will play, particularly how much he's going to be targeted, and how big of a part of that offense he's supposed to be. Obviously the first true wide receiver if you're considering Travis Hunter as a defensive back. With Ted Roig McMillan off the board in Carolina, we've seen some excellent highlights of him. We've heard from the reports from the notebooks, from some of the beat writers that the ball has been spread around a little bit, but it seems that he should be a target earner this year. I want to see once the preseason games come, if Tedero McMillan in those early snaps. Is getting twenty to twenty five percent target share obviously could be a little muted. You want to hide stuff going into the season. But if he's getting a major amount of reps with the Ones and he's getting major target share in a preseason games, I think it could be an indication that he's a true wide receiver one for the Carolina Panthers.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you, I sure liked him when he was at Arizona. I thought he was a good looking wide receiver and he was a guy that kind of went almost unknown. It felt I was like, am I missing something? Because there was so much hype about all these other players up early in the draft, and then and then when draft day came, like he went off the board relatively early, and I was like, okay, good because because I think this guy I person. Now, I don't have the data. I don't study it like you guys do, which is really cool. Maybe I should I might learn something. That's why I talked to you is because I get I get all my education when I talk to you, Sam, so it helps me I feel smarter after I get up the phone. By the way, so it's it's a good deal. But I just thought, man, this guy's good and so so that's that's interesting you you brought up his name. I want to go in a this is kind of maybe a little different direction, but I think it's fascinating. It kind of happened today or yesterday. But Byron Leftwich was signed as a coach with Colorado. So here you've got Coach Prime, who's like one of the all time greatest. You have Marshall Falk, who is one of the all time greates, Warren Sap who's one of the all time grades, Byron Leftwich who was a pretty darn good quarterback in the NFL and won a couple of Super Bowls or won a Super Bowl as a coach, And is there any data about former Like I know a lot of players former players, but this is like, this is like a Hall of Fame coaching staff. You know, does it make him a better coaching staff? Does it make him worse? What are the statistics or what kind of information do you have about the impact the coach has based on the success that the coach had as a player.
Speaker 5: So I think it's very interesting because one of the hardest problems in football is disentangling a quarterback who touches the ball every play from his play caller who is obviously making the call every play and putting the ball in the quarterback's hands, and you know, sending in multiple plays and so forth and so on, and so that's even more important at the college level. Fyron Leftwich obviously was with Tom Brady for years in bucks Land and Tampa Bay. And you know Brady twenty plus years. A forty two year old has seen it all. Obviously, a lot of that offense was with Brady. Now he's coming into a situation where he'll be coaching at Colorado. Caden Salter, the transfer quarterback from Liberty, obviously has won an absolute metric ton of games. Liberty has been very successful. It's going to be interesting how we kind of allocate credit there if Colorado ends up winning a lot of games. Shador Sanders while he was there, kind of kept the wheels running despite having two different offensive coordinators. Obviously two years ago, a little bit more of an air raid system, last year, a little bit more pro style. The signing of Byron Leftwich probably means they want to continue going in that kind of pro style, but still spread attack. So I'm really interested to see if Caden Salter maintains the same kind of profile, how much he scrambles, how much he's throwing the ball away. But I really want to know about that running game. If Byron Leftwich is able to get that running game of Colorado, which has struggled at times going, especially given the struggles the Buccaneers had back in the day when Brady was there, I think that could be a real imprint that number one Byron Leftwich is probably an excellent coach, and that offensive staff is probably going places, and that the quarterback is put in a position to make the right checks at the line, check into the runs when you get the good looks, and stuff like that. And I think that's kind of what we want to understand, because the data really shows that it's very difficult to disentangle in the NFL, for example, a Jimmy Garoppolo or a Brock Party from Mi, Kyle Shanahan type character.
Speaker 1: Just by way of some fascinating information about Byron Lefwitch and Tom Brady and Tampa Bay, one of the coaches that was there, he would probably be called a senior analyst, Tom Moore. Of course, Tom Moore was with the Peyton Manning for his career in the Indianapolis and Tom Moore was my co offensive coordinator in Detroit. And so this is back in nineteen ninety four, ninety five, ninety six, ninety seven, and we a lot of the plays that we incorporated into our offense were plays that I part of the system that I was in with the Miami Dolphins and Don Shula, which goes all the way back to Johnny Unitas, right, So these concepts went way back to Johnny Unias and then and Tom Moore actually was ran into my agent and he's still coaching with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers today, and he said, you know, we're still running a lot of the same stuff we did in Detroit when Scott was there, and this was with Tom Brady, and so it doesn't ever really change, you know, And it's just to fascinating. When you were you mentioned I just like, yeah, this offense, I know it, I lived it, I was part of it in this long kind of cool history, you know, because it went it went quite a few places through the NFL, very success successfully, mind you.
Speaker 5: Right, It's really interesting because we had Chuck Bresnahan, who is a longtime NFL defense coordinator, has also spent some time in college now is working with us as a SUMER scout.
Speaker 4: We have all kinds of.
Speaker 5: Really really a deep history in football, deep knowledge of football with us over at SUMER and I was talking to him pre show. You can you can catch our conversation on the Suomer Sports show where you can find podcasts, but our best product is on YouTube right now, go subscribe to that YouTube at Suomer Sports. But we were discussing because he's a Navy guy, and I went to Tulane in my day and still to this day, big rivalry, American newly named American Conference rivalry, and I really disliked playing Navy, and he was talking about, you know, the how they used to run back in the day, you know, a little bit more of a hard nosed offense, less misdirection. Then obviously the Service Academy start running the triple option. We were discussing, you know, the depths that that flex bone attack goes back to. And even Willie Fritz, who I played in, who I played with, had had roots in the triple option now at Houston in the Big twelve, and and so it's so interesting to see, especially like when we're considering these things about like which quarterbacks succeed, where is the true lineage, the true history of football, and all these coaches coming on down even until recently.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's fascinating, and you sometimes say, is it is it the the lineage, is it the is it the system? Or or is it the guy running the system? You know, that really makes it makes it come to life, you know, or or is he just you know? Or is he just have the good fortune of being in a good system and because there are bad ones too, and and uh, you know, and I'm not sure how I totally land on that. I think it's I really think it's more or the system fits the guy at the right time. You know, some guys don't fit in certain systems even though it might be a good system, and they're just not a good fit.
Speaker 4: Well, here's what the data kind of says.
Speaker 5: You know, you look at the quarterback position and these guys who are running these systems, and on a year to year basis expected points added per play, which is something that we analysts like to use just to put yards in context. Basically, what it means is that fourth and if you get the first down on fourth and three, it means a little bit more than if you, you know, get sixteen yards on third and twenty five. That's basically all that expected points added is saying, and that typically year to year has a correlation of about fifty to sixty, where one hundred is the best. So it's not a fantastic correlation year to year. You got to consider things like injuries. But what's really interesting is that the amount that a quarterback scrambles travels with him even when he moves team, even when he moves offensive coordinators, And so I think there's a core element of who a quarterback is. Guys who like to throw the ball away are probably going to continue throwing the ball away. Guys who like to scramble a lot are probably going to continue to scramble a lot. Guys who get sacked a lot are probably going to continue to get sacked a lot. Devin Dampier, I know we've talked about this. Scott is not one of those guys almost never get sacked, and as a result, you can expect that despite whoever the offensive coordinator may be. Now the end result, I think the offensive coordinator has probably half or more credit. But when it comes down to that decision making once the ball is snapped, I think the quarterbacks are who they are.
Speaker 1: Okay, So taking all this into consideration and speaking about Devin Dampier, he's on a team Utah that arguably well certainly has the best offensive line in the Big twelve as.
Speaker 6: The country probably right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one or two for sure. And then and then he has his his offensive coordinator who came with him. And it's kind of like when a guy has a personal chef. It's like, I have my personal offensive coordinator I bring in with me. That's that's that's how these players roll today. So he's got his offensive coordinator, he's got a better offensive line, and he's a guy that doesn't get sacked. That what you're saying should bode extremely well for Utah this year.
Speaker 5: It certainly should bode well in terms of their success rate on a play by play basis. I think there is per chance, given there's just so many transfers at the wide receiver, running back skill positions for this offense. I think, you know, maybe it takes some time for them to get ready, but there's not going to be negative plays, particularly in the passing game. They will be at least at the line of scrimmage because that ball is going to get thrown away or Damn Pier is going to try to make the most of it. But there will not be sacks, there will not be negative plays. And going over to the NFL, this was the recipe for success for the Denver Broncos last year where bo Nicks avoided sacks. He wasn't the most efficient in the passing game, but they were able to construct an offense as the season went along that was pretty successful and could make some pretty big plays. I think that's the recipe for success. Play behind that offensive line early on in the season, gain chemistry between dam Pier and some of the new skill players, and then as the season goes along that kind of recipe for success, the rue as we like to say in Louisiana, will come together, We'll know who the guys are, and Dan Pier can start moving the ball where it needs to be. I think that's the recipe for success. And I think particularly if we see that run game start to get moving behind those excellent offensive linemen in weeks three or four, I think Utah had a really, really, really good shot to win the Big twelve, especially given their defensive prowess.
Speaker 4: On the other.
Speaker 1: Side, all great foods starts with a good rue.
Speaker 5: That's true, that says, at least I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh I know, I know, I may care more about food than anything else. So I understand what you're saying. So this whole, this whole concept, you know, kind of talking about getting excited watching a little bit of NFL training camp and players kind of they are who they are, you know, Leffard the leopard never loses his spot, so to speak. So sder Sanders. You know, there are people are like, oh, he might be the starter, and there's who knows, or he could be terrible, or he's not going to get an you know, you just don't Where do you think he might end up in the in the in the sense that you know, he held the ball a lot at Colorado and he moved himself into a lot of sacks, you know, where he was not he's not very efficient moving in the pocket. Where do you think he ends up this year?
Speaker 5: So I think that's the real question, and that's something that we can't really see in practice per se, because you're not getting sacked, the quarterback is not getting touched.
Speaker 4: Here's what we know right now.
Speaker 5: Got a pretty good day two weeks ago, excuse me, two days ago.
Speaker 6: Nine for nine with two.
Speaker 5: Touchdowns in the red zone drill. We know that he is probably running with the second group or even the third group, and we have a sense that Joe Flacco is running with the first and that there's some injury concerns with Kenny Pickett. That's what we know right now. We discussed like how general managers are really looking at this. Obviously, the media is going to report what they report. We'll get a consensus. The preseason games will put it all on the line and we can kind of gauge from there. But I think if you start seeing him move up into the second slot or start to get a couple reps with the ones, I think that means a lot for what.
Speaker 4: Shad Door Sanders is going to look like in a.
Speaker 5: Kevin Stefanski offense. The second thing that I'll note, and this was a real big kind of point of emphasis on the Summer Sports Show, which Mike mccagnan, the former general manager of the New York Jets, hammered on and he said, it's not about one day, It's about you know, backing those days on top of each other, and so I think, particularly with Shador, if you start seeing multiple reports day after day after day, that people really are starting to gel with him. He's starting to build chemistry with the wide receivers. We're seeing stats that outlay that accuracy that was his calling card and the positive to the con of his sack avoidance. I think that's all good, But I think we're going to have to see him in particular in the preseason when we can actually get a sense of what it looks like when Shador Sanders who struggled so mightily with sacks, as you know, the bad guys coming after him on the other side on the defense.
Speaker 1: This is the Drive with Spence Checket's here on ESPN seven hundred and ninety two ONEFM. I'm Scott Mitchell filling in for Spence. We're here talking with Sam Brookhouse from sumer Sports. Great. Great. I always love to talk to you. Just by the way, Sam, one day, I hope to meet you because I just I've really enjoyed these conversations throughout the past several months or so. So it's it's been a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: College football is started the craziness has begun, and I'm I'm fascinated about the Big Twelve. From this perspective, it feels like there's a lot of quality teams. Like maybe from top to bottom, you know, maybe there might be four teams that eh, but but the rest of the league, you know, it's pretty solid and I wouldn't say there's a team you just go, Man, that just really excites me. But it's it feels super competitive across across the conference. And yet in some of these other conferences, the Big Ten, uh SEC, it's more top heavy. You know, there's there's fewer, fewer teams. What what do you think is going to happen in the Big Twelve this year? And is it better? Because I know, I know that's that was kind of the push with the conference. You know, we're we're tough top to bottom, and the other conferences are trying to say, hey, we don't. We don't care about the bottom. We want we want five or six teams in the College Football playoffs and the rest of them we don't care about. And so we want easier schedules. We want, you know, an easier path to get to the playoffs. That's what we're interested in, So tell me what's going to happen at the Big twelve and does it I guess does having an average conference mean anything?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you've got to start at the top from last year. You look at Arizona State and Iowa State bringing back quarterbacks Sam Levitt rock Obeck project to be two of the better players in the nation this year. I don't expect much to change. I think the coaching situations that both of those.
Speaker 5: Are pretty stable. I'd expect those two teams to remain in the top twenty five for most of the season. Unless something goes wrong, particularly at that quarterback position. Then I think not to be a homer, but I just loved what Utah's done. I think when you go out and you get one of the top G five to P five quarterback transfers, I think that's a sign in the right direction. We've seen that work in the past, and I think that that kind of build that they have, with an excellent defense building behind you know, pretty young but developing and very highly touted offensive line, I think that's going to be extremely difficult to beat. In October and November. I think Utah has a real chance to jump up and then if you want to look kind of in the dul drums of the Big twelve, Like you said, there's been a lot of teams that kind of fifth fault last year and it didn't go necessarily their way. I think Houston is going to be one of those teams that are going to come in With Connor Wegman at quarterback, the one time five star recruit who struggled with injury at Texas A and M was able to win games but just couldn't get it done, ends up going to Houston. Houston now has one of the top quarterbacks in future years recruiting wise. This is a program that's coming together. This is a program builder in coach Willie Fritz, and I think if you notice in weeks one, two, or three starting to have an effective run game mixed with a lot of talent on the back end, I think that could be a team who could jump into a conversation or at least kind of shuffle stuff up. Last person I want to mention I mentioned it a little bit earlier. Caden Salter is a name to watch at Colorado. This is the guy who has achieved a lot in his career. It's his first time at a power conference. I think that coach Prime loves to run quarterbacks happy offenses, and I think if you start seeing some big numbers put up, I think that's a good signal for Colorado. Their defense really came together last year. If they can maintain that momentum, that's another team that I think can jump all the way up into that ASU in Iowa s Eightier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as you were talking, I just I realized something, because you know, one of the things that would certainly make the profile for the Big Twelve better is to get multiple teams in the college football playoffs.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: We talk about in Iowa State, who very impressed with a year ago, and I agree with you. I believe they're going to be in the conversation. Of course, Arizona State brings back, you know, everyone on a team that won the conference.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: But but Utah doesn't play They do play Arizona State, but they don't play Iowa State. Utah doesn't play Houston And and so you could end up on a collision course and have multiple teams having really good years just because of the nature of the sixteen team conference, and and that that may be a way that all of a sudden, all of a sudden, you get two teams, maybe you have three in the conversation. At the end of the day, you end up with two teams in the college football playoffs. Then then it then it starts creating some credibility for the conference. So, uh, one last question before I let you go, who who is a player from Utah that we should really watch for? Maybe we're maybe we're not, Maybe we're overlooking him, maybe he doesn't get a lot of a lot of discussion. But is there a player that that maybe we should be watching for.
Speaker 5: I think you got to look at those two tackles man Spencer Fanu and the right tackle as well, are just going to be the tenth Poles. I think that is going to start to be the build as we talk about the transfer portal in college football. I think people have started to figure out that you just cannot get excellent tackles in the transfer portal, and I think that's really going to be the name of the game this year. It's going to be an interesting parallel just talking about the Big Twelve because Texas Tech, the Shrine Bowl one thousand was put out. Some of the best teams. Everyone is a transfer on that team. Man. I mean, they've spent twenty five million dollars. They're getting people in another team to watch, and so I think those guys who have been hand built by Utah across that offensive line, particularly at the left tackle position, Spencer Fanuho should be one of the best players in the league. You've got to give some love to the offensive lineman. I think he's going to be one who could be in awards ceremony, all American discussions by the time this year. In so, I do want to make one more note about the Big Twelve here. I've mentioned Texas Tech, you mentioned Baylor as well. I just don't think the bottom of the conference allows for you know, people to get by on schedule last year like they did last year. Taking Miami for example, last year didn't play a really good ACC team until the very end of the year Syracuse. Syracuse ends up beating them. I think the Big Twelve is a little bit better than that, and I think even the bottom of that conference is still very, very competitive, and so it could be a scenario in which every team takes each other out. Obviously that doesn't look good for prestige, but I think it's because the conference itself is strong, tough to bottom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hopefully the cannibalism won't happen, but we'll see. All right, Sam, really appreciate it. Always fine to have a conversation. Have a great rest of your day.
Speaker 5: Thank y'all so much.
Speaker 1: All right, there you have it. Sam Brookhouse from Summer Sports love those conversations. Data driven, so it's all about the numbers to be.
Speaker 7: Ready for all the situations that are going to be coming up, and it's really identifying who are to trustworthy guys the playmaker does when you put those eleven guys together, all doing their different roles, you know who can you depend on.
Speaker 6: And count on.
Speaker 7: So it's a matter of finding consistency. Who showed up every day consistently getting their job done so we know we can count on them to put them out there for the game. So that's where you're trying to develop that and tease that out or who to count on who?
Speaker 1: Alrighty sports fans, welcome back. It is the drive with Spence checkets here on ESPN seven hundred ninety two. I'm Scott Mitchell filling in And that was Jason Beck, offensive coordinator at the University of Utah, very pivotal coach, one that's got a lot on his shoulders, a lot of expectation. You've got this uh really strong defense, need some offense. So interesting comments there about gaining trust of your coaches such an important thing. You can also hear the full interview on the old website that's ESPN seven other sports dot com, or on the app ESPN seven other sports app. You get that, but we're also going to play a lot more of it here in the show coming up in a bit, and do a deeper dive, a deeper analysis, analysis by paralysis or paralysis by analysis. In other words, don't overthink things. People don't over complicate them. And people do that sometimes in football. They over complicate things. They make it so much harder than it has to be. Like I said earlier in the show, just keep it simple, pick a guy and let it fly. And when you can just play freely and just play instinctively, play pretty good. See I could be a coach. It's not that hard. Yeah, I actually was a coach. We're all coaches. We're all coaching something. Actually, we're all salesmen. We're selling something, whatever it might be. We're selling things. Constantly all the time, speaking of selling things. The NBA is actually going to go overseas and play regular season games. They're going to play in Berlin and London in multiple locations over the over the so in the next few years. So they play a series of games this year, next year, in the following year. Now, it's kind of a cliche, a niche thing. It's kind of a I don't know, whatever it is. It's becoming a popular thing with these sports leagues to play their games overseas because everybody's doing it. All the kids these days are doing it. Let's go, let's bring our league over and let's play in another continent. We're gonna play on the continent. Now, hey, Buffy, let's go play our NFL games over Oh, NFL, we'll play the NBA. Oh, We'll have all of those games over on the European continent. Now, it's winter time. So I don't know who's gonna go. I mean, people will be interested because basketball has become very very popular over in Europe. And so I read this and I'm like, all right, this is kind of interesting. But you know, people play basketball in Europe. Some of the best basketball players in the NBA are from Europe. Now, football is different. You don't hear of, you know, some player being the MVP of the NFL, or being a great quarterback in the NFL or running back or you don't hear it because they don't play. And so that's why the NFL is expanding over there with an attempt to grow its audience. The NBA, I think kind of maybe already has an audience over there. Maybe they're trying to tap into, you know, a bigger mark. I get. I get that, you know, growing the game and part of it too. Sports are big in Europe. I mean, football, soccer is massive, and I mean it's it's almost to the point that it's unhealthy. These people get in violent conversations and interactions because you know, the soccer team's lost to someone and it's bad. So I just I I guess, well, here, here's how I would do it. And this was an idea I had the other day, like this fusion of sports. You know, if you're going to go over to Europe, that's kind of the thing, like, even if you're a tourist, if you're going to go over there, you need to make it worth your while. You need to go at least seven days, but more like ten, no more than fourteen, So because you're going over there, so make it worth your while so you can see things because you don't know when you're going back, and it's a long way to go. It's not like a weekend trip. And that's what you kind of feel like with these these games. It's like, why you're coming over for one game and then you can go back, don't you guys want to eat like some fish and chips, some bangers and mash? Do you know what bangers are? Porter, I guess that's no.
Speaker 3: Did you say bangers in mash?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Do you know what those? Do you know what bangers are? It's a food in England, it's a it's a it's a pork sausage.
Speaker 2: And the reference I have there is from that movie with Russell Brand where he's the rock star. It's a song called Banger's mash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and what it is so that when they were in the war, everything was so cheap that it was made. It kind of had a water, a lot of water in the in the pork, right, and so when you fried it, it exploded and that's the bang. So so it's basically a pork sausage and mashed potatoes.
Speaker 3: Wartime food is what you're saying.
Speaker 1: It's wartime food, yes, but the banger came from it the fact that it was cheap.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: And so it's kind of a thing in England and it's actually kind of good. I'm not gonna lie. So so my point is is, you have you have this whole thing, right, you have, you have this like sports fusion. So if you're gonna go over there, join the football people, let's do let's do a two for one. So the NFL, NBA, and maybe you throw in the NHL because they they like hockey over in Europe. And not only do you play like you're going over together, you play simultaneously. You play, you play in these big arenas or these big places, and you play multiple sports going on at the same time. That would be something that would really garner some interest. I'm not sure I feel it with the NFL, I really do. I feel like, Okay, the NFL, Yes, that's a good move, and they're gaining a lot of traction and to the point of potentially having a division over in Europe. That's my goal, the European because then the super Bowl becomes a worldwide They're trying to make it like the World Cup, but only every year. Right, wouldn't that be big? So you you literally are world champions because right now in the NFL, I don't want to burst anyone's bubble. The Super Bowl is just an American thing. It's not world champs. Same thing with baseball. But they like to say it and people are letting him get away with it, and that's fine whatever. Okay, I I think this is a debate. And I have friends that have tried to get into coaching who are former NFL players, and now coach Prime Dion has hired like almost the Mount Rushmore of coaches at Colorado. This is like, this is seriously Marshall Faulk running back coach. You could argue one of the top running backs of all time. If I'm picking a team and I got to pick my running back, he's going to be up there on one or two. If I'm picking a defensive back, Deon Sander's going to be one or two, like, he's going to be up there. I'm picking a defensive lineman, Warren Sapp is up there. There's some other I mean Aaron Donald's pretty pretty freaking good. Some other other guys are pretty good, but so is Warren Sapp. In fact, in my generation who I played against Warren Sapp, it's, you know, just talking to office linemen, they're like, he's the hardest guy in the world to block. He because so athletic, so quick. He just he's just really quick. Uh And and I think people didn't completely understand how good he really was. I mean, I think people thought that, but you know, they talked a lot whenever. So then they bring in now Byron Leftwich, who isn't a Hall of Famer in the NFL, pretty darn good quarterback, won a Super Bowl, been to multiple Super Bowls as a coordinator. I know he had Tom Brady whatever, but still pretty darn good. All of these guys are in Colorado, every single one of them, and you have to want So the dilemma is, does the fact that you're a Hall of Famer or a really accomplished professional football player. I'm not talking about a guy that wasn't drafted or whatever, or got cut their rookie year, never really made it in the NFL, or was on the practice squad for a while, or was kind of a you know, just it wasn't wasn't an everyday player in the NFL fringe, barely lucky to just be on a team kind of guy. I'm not, you know, not talking about that. I'm talking about stars, superstars, some of the best stars ever. And and the debate is can you be a good coach if you were a great player, Because a lot of people don't seem to think so. They just think for a new numerous reasons. They'd say, well, you know, the game was different for them. They had a skill set and an ability that no one else had, And so how are you get to coach from that perspective? How do you coach players who don't have that same ability? You can't. I mean, that's kind of the senses and we all know that, you know, some of the you know, kind of bias about players, and like certain players can't play certain positions, or certain positions are kind of not really all that relevant, like tight end like tight ends, Like yeah, it's kind of an afterthought. Now It's like guys are getting drafted right and left in the first round that are tight ends. Tight Ends have now become a massive part of an offense. You get a hybrid type of tight end. You create massive mismatches for teams that he's too big for a dB and he's too fast for a linebacker, and so you get a mismatch almost one hundred percent of the time that because you're going to get like the fourth or fifth best defender on your tight end. And and they figured this out and and the tight ends changed, they got much more athletic and different things. And but the point is is there's a perception. There's this there's this mindset about players that are really good that they couldn't be good coaches. And and so then there's the work ethic. A really great player doesn't have to grind it out, doesn't have to work hard because it just all comes so naturally. And as a as a player, you don't you don't have the same work schedule that a coach does. You know, you go to practice, you go to the meetings, you go home, and the coach that when you go home, that's when their job starts or or before you get there in the morning. So they're there all night long, and they're there early in the morning while you're gone. And so the perception is, well, coch players just can't they can't make that commitment. It's an eighty hour week. There's no way they're going to be able to do it. And then there's another thing, and this is what I think it really is. There's this threat because most coaches are or the fringe player. We're the guy that maybe you know, maybe got through high school, maybe played some in college, maybe played pretty well in college, and it just says, Okay, I'm done playing football. I want to get into coaching. And they do. And so they start out as a graduate assistant, and they go through all these levels of coaching, and they travel around the country to different jobs and they build it up and build a resume. I mean Jim Harbaugh, Jim Harbaugh, by the way, was not Jim Harbaugh was a long time NFL quarterback who was you wouldn't say had a Hall of Fame career, but he had a very he had a very successful career. You know, played fifteen years in the NFL and was pretty good. Former first round draft choice, his first round draft choice out of Michigan, uh and and he you know, he stuck around a long time. But when he started coaching, he went to the University of San Diego. He was he was an intern ish type of player, an offensive assistant for the Los Angeles or the Oakland Raiders, and then he went to Stanford, and then he went to the forty nine ers, and then he went to Michigan, and then he went back to the Charge. So he's bounced around a little bit, and a lot of people say, well that, you know, so there's a there's a there's an envy. And I wouldn't say Jim Harbaugh. I know there's I know there's coaches. I know that there's really successful, popular, well known coaches today, maybe even one of them coached at Utah. At one point think that Jim Harbaugh is not a good coach. And I think there was some resentment and some jealousy because he was a former player. Because former players guess what they get. You walk in the door and you instantly have credibility. People are gonna listen to you, and so you don't have to you don't have to build this massive level of trust. You don't have to convince players that you know what you're talking about, or that you can actually share information with them that they will find useful. You know, a former player just has a built in library of information that's like really good, and a lot of coaches resent it. And that's why I don't think if you see a lot of former star players who are coaches, and you could argue that the star players don't need money, right, they just like, Hey, I made a ton of money. Why in the world would I want to get all this brain damage trying to be a football coach and just dealing with all the headaches and everything that you have. Now. I coached high school football and I will tell you it's one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. And I you know, it was interesting to listening to Trevor Riley early on the show talk about coach Prime and how a lot of you know, he's really about these kids, and he's about, you know, changing lives and about helping them in their lives. And I get it, and I could totally see that being a very worthwhile and worthy cause to be a part of, to literally change lives. And what I found was, man, it was really cool to teach someone else to do something and then watch them have success at it. That was amazing. That was very cool. And as a player, you have that opportunity to just do it for yourself, right, you focus on getting yourself ready to play, and you learn and you study and you prepare. Then you go out and you play, and it's very rewarding. But to do it and to be able to do it for a lot of people is a really really cool thing. So I can get why while he's into this now, it might open I don't know, a can of worms, a new opportunity. Maybe former really good players might end up being really good coaches, maybe even better than some of the coaches that are there now. And maybe you'll start seeing a trend of well known popular coaches getting into the players getting into the coaching rings. Who knows, we'll see, but it's certainly one of those things that they got going on at Colorado that you know, if they have success, you might go, yeah, maybe we should consider more of these people. I don't know. All right, it's about time to take a break. But if you need help feeling and looking better, Pure Life Medical can help you. They have two locations, one and Latent and one in Cottonwood Heights. Pure Life Medical is especially known for their stem cell therapies to help harness your body's own ability to regenerate tissue free consultation and more at purelifemedical dot com. It's pure pure life. I'm Scott Mitchell filling in for Spence all week long. I'll be here all week so having a lot of fun. It's been a great show. If you miss any of the show, don't worry. Just go to ESPN seven hundred sports dot com or the ESPN seven hundred Sports app and you can get the podcast version. You can get anything that you missed. So driving along in your car and you just have to get out for whatever reason, it's okay, you're not going to miss anything. So and always glad that you tune in. So we have a great time, having a great time today, and it's even going to get better because we're speaking with none other than Roxy Bernstein. He joins the show. Of course. He's a commentator on pretty much every sport invented. He is a play by play guy. Roxy. Welcome to the show. How you doing.
Speaker 8: I'm great, Scott, how are you?
Speaker 1: You know? I'm living the dream and as I always say, it's not a nightmare. So I feel pretty good about it and I am I am awakened conscious. So this is this is not you know, not made up. You were just in town right for Tom.
Speaker 8: They're kind of I try to slide in under the radar because it was supposed to be a surprise party for they had a retirement down at BYU for Tom Holmo twenty three years working in the administration of course, the athletic director of BYU, and and so it was supposed to be a surprise. So I didn't alert anybody I was coming to town like my buddies. I didn't text him, Hey, I'm coming in. Just slide under the radar. But was a great event. It was cool to see guys like Ronnie Lott and Keena Turner show up yea and in support of Tom Homo. But it was a fabulous night at it at Provo.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, Tom did a great job as as an ad And what I thought was a tough situation. I thought b YU being in independence was almost almost a prison sentence. Uh. And then and then you know, of course b YU has the unique challenges that it does, and I just thought he's just he's handled it so well and made some really savvy moves and uh, and you know, got b Yu, I think, in a better place when he left. And then he when he was there and when he showed up.
Speaker 8: So no question considering you're now in the Big Twelve, you're in one of the power for conferences. And there had to be some growing pains along the way you alluded to when they went independent and went West Coast Conference for a their Olympic sports and including basketball. But they were patient and the Big Twelve hunt for BYU was a long.
Speaker 6: Time in the making.
Speaker 8: It just didn't spark a few years ago like this has been something that they were after for a while and it came to fruition and now you look at the league and it's just when you look at especially in basketball, Scott. It's a good football league as we know, and certainly the success ASU had last year, but it's arguably the best basketball league in the country at least consistently, although the SEC was the best league in the country last year.
Speaker 1: So I'm curious, how many sports do you actually broadcast.
Speaker 8: As of now? I'm doing well, do we count pro and college as one? If I'm doing the same sport, I'm.
Speaker 1: Going to say no. But because I think it's different. I think it's a different preparation. Are you tell me? Is it the same? Doing the same sport or no.
Speaker 8: Prep, as you know, is different. So I do both the NFL and college football for ESPN NFL and ESPN Radio and college football on TV and radio. I do college basketball. Tons of it is your listeners who are familiar with the You know that I don't do the NBA. I do Major League in college baseball, and I do the NHL and a little bit of college hockey also for ESPN. So what is that seven.
Speaker 1: I had? Yeah, I had eight, But don't trust my math, right because I'm not sure I even have ten fingers, So who knows I could beware of? Uh So when you when you prep for that, I was just thinking this, you know how, I think it would be maddening. Which one of the sports that you actually broadcast you have to like really grind like, because I'm sure there are things you're just really comfortable, really familiar with, but there's got to be a sport, you man, It's it's a real grind to find it.
Speaker 8: Well, I wouldn't say, but I take it back. I've been doing some of that indoor football recently. Also, there's a team here at the Pay Area, so I forgot about it, The Bay Area Panthers are co owned by Marshawn Lynch and they're the team in the Western Conference. And so I've done and they reached out to me, Hey, do you want to do some of our games? Sure, I'll do your home games, yeah, and just drive down to San Jose. So they have the playoffs coming up, so we're getting ready for that. That's been the hardest Scott, because there is very little information out there on even the team's website. It is very elementary. So that has been the hardest sport to prepare for. And you know the thing that's challenging is, and you deal with this too, is, for example, an opening college football game, because the rosters are so big and you have the guys that are the top of the depth chart. Right if you get a one sided game, which for example, I'm probably going to have one of those week one, Well, how deep will the school go into their depth chart, what true freshmen are going to play? And how how big can I get my spotting board to make sure I have every potential player on there? So that that's challenging because you know, right when if Utah has played, for example, when they were heavy favorite over I don't know Southern Utah or weirder state, Right, how deep do you go in your depth chart? And you know, you try to quiz coach Witt and his staff, right, who could possibly see the field? That's a challenging I think, as it is to prepare for a game, to be honest with you.
Speaker 1: Well, and if you get a Utah game, you're going to get a lot of Polynesian names and and I feel confident with them. But when you're on the air and you have to say it, just it's got to flow, you know, and you get you dig deep. That's that's a tough one.
Speaker 8: And it takes some practicing, right. You can't just phonetically. You have to say it at numbers and you can't just like repeat it in your head. You have to say it out loud and numerous times to make sure you get it correctly. Because the last thing you want to do is offend someone's family, especially their mom.
Speaker 1: If you and the Polynesian mom is that's that's that's a death sentence right there. It's it's like it's like throwing a football in the NFL. You just have to let it go. You just have to.
Speaker 5: You can't.
Speaker 1: You can't hold on to it. You just got to let it go. No, just just go for it. Just whatever you say, just say it with confidence and the and it'll turn out somewhat nice. Uh so, well, because I want to jump all over the place. I just wanted to talk about a bunch of different things, different sports. I was I actually kind of wanted to play a game, okay, And do you want to play a game for a minute?
Speaker 8: Sure? Why not?
Speaker 1: Okay? So I'm going to give you a sport that you broadcast, and I want you to give me the most uh the most relevant information I need to know about that sport today. Can you do that?
Speaker 8: I can do my bad?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 9: College baseball, bok college baseball. The transfer portal is, of course, like college basketball, like college football, the talk of the town and money speaks, and players are leaving, and unfortunately that is taking the thunder away from what we should be talking about.
Speaker 8: But the transfer portal is just as prevalent college baseball as it is in football or basketball, and maybe even more so.
Speaker 6: To be honest with.
Speaker 1: You, really I did not know that. See I'm glad I asked you these questions. I'm glad we're playing this game. Is there money out? There for these players. Of I know there was a softball pitcher from Stanford who went I think to Texas.
Speaker 6: And back and got over a million.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was a big deal.
Speaker 8: All right, let's go you think thing go with that too, Scott is you deal with the major league draft with some high school kids and turning it down and if kids are drafted do they go do they go to college? And how much it really is. It's a fascinating deep dive. It could take you seriously down a rabbit hole if you don't stop.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I guess because you know, you get drafted out of high school, you're going to get some signing bonus or something. And where you go to college you may get more money, and you may it may be a better opportunity for you to grow and develop. And you still and you kind of still have the benefit. Maybe you're not having the same competition, but you're at least I don't know, getting I struggled with like three hundred dollars a month when I played. I can't fathom what these players are getting with money and how it's all really changed. It's so fascinating.
Speaker 8: With the agents involved, and it's crazy. I was, I was talking to a football agent last week, and they're going into the high schools now to recruit kids because they can make money on their nil contracts and deals that they have with schools. So it is starting not just okay, when guys are in college is probably when you first dealt with agents, but they're going into the high school ranks now because of the money that's out there. It is an incredible business now. I'm anxious to see how it changes moving forward and with some of the regulations they're trying to put in, but it is nuts when you think about high school kids are being approached by professional agents.
Speaker 1: So my agent, who I had my whole entire career, great great guy, still in agents today. He's been in the business forever, Tony agnow is his names in Baltimore, and I actually had him on my radio show talking about the same thing, and he said, he said, I had a former client whose son was going through all this stuff and he was, you know, he was a young kid still in high school and he goes and I was actually giving him instruction and helping him out with the whole thing. So yeah, it's a real thing, and they're going after these kids at a young age.
Speaker 6: It is crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's go to let's go to major League Baseball. What do I need to know about major League Baseball?
Speaker 8: Well, right now, the big thing is a trade deadline, because we're approaching it tomorrow and these trades are going to happen fast and furious, and teams like the Dodgers and the Yankees are going to be aggressive. And I've already seen some interesting trades go down today between the Mets and the Giants. And does that mean the Giants are waving the white flag that they don't think they can make a push for the wild card? But right now that's the talk as far as Major League Baseball goes. It's the trade deadline and it's going to get fast and furious here over the next probably twenty four hours, as these trades and teams are trying to strengthen their roster heading down the stretch toward the postseason.
Speaker 1: Is that what you kind of look for with the trade It's like, if the team doesn't make a trade and you're a fan, you go, we're done. They're they're not going to play make the playoffs? Or is there still hope for some of these teams who don't to don't land a good trade option.
Speaker 8: It's hard because teams are just trying to bolster their roster right, get depth where they're adding an arm for their pitching staff, whether it's a bullpen, or they're trying to bring in a starter where they're trying to get another bat to lengthen the lineup.
Speaker 5: It's hard if.
Speaker 8: You don't make a move because how aggressive these other teams are. And you see it, Scott. You know, when a team makes a move and they're aggressive about making a trade, it sets the message to the clubhouse or the locker room right that they believe in this team, and everybody in there gets just a little more confident knowing that, hey, they're trying to help us and they're trying to give us another weapon that we can use. So that's the other the psychological factor also coming up on a trade deadline. But or if a team that realizes, you know what, we're not going to get there, so they start unloading some key veterans or some big contracts to try to gear up for the next season or at least replenish their farm system.
Speaker 1: So you talked about, of course, the Dodgers Yankees, who do you think makes the biggest move in the in the with the trade this year, are there still moves to be made? Do you? Do you hear things? Who's gonna Who's gonna turn out with the best the best new team moving forward with the trade?
Speaker 8: Well, the Dodgers have always been aggressive, and they have the resources both with some of the talent they have in the minor leagues, plus the revenue and the money that we saw last offseason. Their bullpen is still an issue, and they've reportedly acquired about, for example, Mason Miller from the Artist formerly known as the Oakland Athletics. Uh Camillo Douvall is another one that the Giants closer. But I just find it hard to believe the Giants and Dodgers are going to get together on a trade where the Giants would send their closer to their bitter arch rival. But teams are gonna go for it. They're going to roll the dice knowing that everybody else is also trying to better their team and the only way to do it is is to be aggressive and will teams overpay, and the teams that are the sellers are trying to hold those teams in the club's ransom to try to get the best deal, and they'll try to wait until the eleventh hour to make a trade. But the Dodgers are going to be aggressive, and it wouldn't shock me if somebody like Detroit is aggressive or Toronto with how well they're playing. Those are teams that feel that they have a chance to contend it. And frankly, Scott, I think the American League is wide open.
Speaker 1: Ryan Sanmdberg. Ryan Samberg passes away this past He was one of my favorite players. Loved Ryan Samberg. Actually have a ball signed by Ryan Samberg. It's a funny story, but just loved him. Of course he died way too young. Just kind of your thoughts on him.
Speaker 8: First off, what a tremendous player, right, Rhino, What for sixteen years you think of him with the Cubs, although he was with the Phillies briefly as well, But to pass away at sixty five is so and he fought cancer for a number of years. But that's a part of my childhood right growing up watching Major League Baseball, and the Braves and the Cubs were basically on TV every day in every household if you were a baseball fan, because they were on those superstations and you got to see Harry Carey broadcasting, Ryan Sandberg and Mark Grayce and those great Cubs teams from the eighties, and he was the dominant offensive second basement of his generation. And what was it like, ten time All Star I believe, but gold gloves that he won Silver Sluggers and he was a no doubt Hall of Famer and just a phenomenal career that he was an MVP led the National League and homers one year. Just a tremendous player. But also you hear the great stories about him off the field and what a great person he was. And that's what makes it even fatter, is just you lost somebody so young, had such an impact and was really revered and loved by every Cub fan everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well said, I really was upset by that because I have the same thing. You know, Braves and Cubs were in my living room and he was one of my favorite players. Speaking of baseball, we'll stay on that for just a minut Major League Baseball, there's there's been a lot of talk about Salt Lake City potentially getting a franchise, and it seemed like they're they're I don't want to say they're the team, but they're certainly in significant consideration for a spot when expansion happens. Do you get a sense that that's reality or are we just living a non reality life here in Utah.
Speaker 8: No. I think it's realistic Scott, that Salt Lake City could become a major League team. There's some issues that major League Baseball needs to get through.
Speaker 6: First.
Speaker 8: They need to figure out the Tampa Bay situation, and it appears they have some clarity on that now. And they also have to get I think, some clarity on the athletics because Okay, yes they did their quote unquote groundbreaking in Vegas. I'm still not one hundred percent sold that they're moving to Vegas. I don't think it's more than likely than not they will end up there. But nothing having worked for that an organization, which I did for ten years, nothing would surprise me with that team. Like could they go back to Oakland? I think every option is on the table. Could they stay in Sacramento. Could John Fisher, who owns the team, get fed up with a situation and things are stalling in Vegas? Because keep in mind, he's got to pay for the majority of the ballpark himself. And as he get frustrated and decide to walk away and look to sell. And if that's the case, then would for example, Ryan Smith be active about trying to get the major league team there to Salt Lake City. We saw how aggressive he was in pursuit of bring him the Coyotes up and now the Mammoth getting ready for their second year and it is the whirlwin and how crazy it was that how quickly that deal came together. But I wouldn't rule anything out at this point. But I think major League Baseball has some other issues Scott to deal with as far as both Tampa Bay and the Athletics. And I also think the whole labor situation because we could be headed toward a lockout potentially after next baseball season.
Speaker 1: Ooh, were you with the A's when they were doing Moneyball?
Speaker 8: I was not, And so when Moneyball that was back the two early part of the early to mid two thousands, I was working for the Marlins at the time. So but it was prevalent. You know, everybody paid attention to what Oakland was doing, and it just seemed at the time that they were ahead of the game what Billy Bean was doing. And he talked about were hard counters at the casino, and they were creative about the way they did things. And for example, the movie Moneyball, really it cracks me up, to be honest with you, because well, for example, it featured Scott Hadiberg and Chad Bradford, who were key players on that team. I'm not saying they weren't, but what the movie neglects was the aides had three dominant ages at the top of the rotation. They had Tim Hudson, Mark Boulder, and Barry Zito, and two of those guys won cy YOUG Awards at one point in their career. Yet it kind of gets glossed over in the movie. And oh, by the way, that year they also had the American League MVP and Miguel Tahata, which kind of also doesn't really get featured in the film. And the other thing, I hate to burst the fan out, there's bubble, but you never had to pay for soda in the clubhouse.
Speaker 6: That's completely hogwashed.
Speaker 1: I love this And Rudy wasn't real either, by the way. I know that one too.
Speaker 8: They had to make it more appealing right for the audience. All it was such a great start. Chad Bradford, who is this, you know, submarine specialist that comes in and Scott Hadiberg teaching him to play first base. It's it's got to be more attractive than talking about Mulder, Hudson and Zeno.
Speaker 1: But don't But don't you think that sports actually in its raw form, I mean, you don't have to embellish it. There's plenty of great stories that you know, you can just state of the true true nature of them, and they're they're very compelling. I don't know, I just I don't think you have to embellish it to make it wonderful.
Speaker 8: No, And look, the twenty game win streak was incredible. Right to see the A's win night after night and think about that twenty consecutive wins and that's you're on top of your game for over three straight weeks. That's incredible to do. And then, of course the Indians or the Guardians I think they were the I think they were the Indians. Were they the Guardians at the time that they won the twenty two in a row?
Speaker 1: I remember because I thought they were the Indians.
Speaker 8: Okay, just Cleveland, I'll be safe and just go Cleveland. But it's crazy to think about how consistent you need to be and the other as you know this as well as anybody. Those professionals on the other side, I don't care, for example, how bad the Colorado Rockies are this year. That is a major league team and they're professionals and they're competing at the highest level. And to win twenty consecutive major league games, that's incredible.
Speaker 1: Well it is because you talk about the bad teams are still really good, and they are. And that line between winning and losing is so thin, and it's just and it moves all the time. And you know, you can walk into a game and say, oh man, we got this and we are just on top of the world and we're playing a garbage team today and you get it handed to you or the other way around. You know, it's like, I don't know if we got a shot today, and all of a sudden, you beat the best team in the world. So yeah, it's to do that is absolutely incredible. To win that number of games in a row. All right, let's go ahead.
Speaker 8: No no, no about upsets. Okay, upsets happen, and but to do it on the road and you're fatigued, you're tired, but you keep grinding, and you see upsets, crazy upsets more in college, and you do professionally because the pros are just not upsets. It's because they're professionals. They're getting paid just like everybody Else's all.
Speaker 1: Right in our little game we're playing here, I'm going to let you it's it's dealer's choice. So you get to pick which sport you want to talk about that you broadcast. Give me relevant information that I need to know.
Speaker 8: Oh, relevant information that we need to know. Well, I went and watched by U basketball practice the other day. Is that relevant?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? Yeah, we're we're on the Voice of Utah. But yeah, I know, I'm kidding, hay On. Let me give you because this is this is my perspective, and I'm a big fan of Look, I went to Utah and I left and I went, you know, and played professional football and all that stuff. And I want my uthes to be on the national stage. And I think by U basketball is headed there, if it isn't there already, and they're making that commitment, whether it's financially and whatever they're doing. You know, they get the number one prospect in the country, and and it looks like they've got a pretty solid basketball team this year. And it's and it's mind boggling to me because here you're in the Big Twelve and you talk about what is this This This conference is known for basketball, and it's certainly not known for BYU basketball, but they are making a name for themselves. And I'm just saying, hey, big brother up the street forty five minutes away, you better get your act together. Are you going to get left in the dust. That's my take on this.
Speaker 8: Well, I think the Big Twelve took notice that by us a player last year, look what Kevin Young did with certainly some support both financially and off the floor, that they're going to compete and they've got the resources to do it. And last year, for example, Jegor Demon the top ten pick this year in the NBA Draft, and they go out, as you alluded to, HJ. Debansa coming in as the top prospect of the country, Richie Saunders staying, they have depth, they're really talented, and they're going to be really good and I don't see it flowing down anytime soon. And maybe that's what motivated the coaching change in Utah and to try to kind of copy I don't want to say copy what they're doing, but certainly the way the Utah puts their stamp on it, because we know how proud of a basketball program the running Utes have you do you think.
Speaker 1: That ask you know, you talk about putting a stamp or copying it. You know, you have Kevin Young, who's it. You know, watching BYU, it looked more like a pro styled game. You know, the floor was spread out more, and it looked, you know, more of a free or flowing game and as opposed to kind of hunkered in and you know, and in a half court game. And so Utah Alex Jensen, who was a former player but had a lot of extensive experience as an assistant in the NBA. Do you think that's a just a one or two off just just because of it, you know the nature of the schools here, or is this potentially a trend in college basketball in general?
Speaker 8: Well, I think for example, with Utah seeing a success that BYU had, I'm sure it had some influence on hiring Alex Jensen, and of course the former player, but with the NBA experience, but you're seeing at some NBA guys in the college game and have success And for example, my alma mater over at cal Mark Matt who was at Utah Valley, did a really good job as a college head coach coach in the NBA with the Lakers played in the NBA for a long time. USC Eric Musselman was a head coach in the NBA even the mid major quote unquote programs. Mike Bibbie gets hired as the head coach at Sacramento State. You're seeing that NBA influence now come in to the college game. And it's not just that influence, but when I watch Arizona play, for example, the free flowing offense that Tommy Lloyd has and when they were doing at Gonzaga when he was there as well, that's kind of what the thought process is. And I thought how creative Mark Pope was when he was the coach at BYU and how their offense and now he carries it to Kentucky. So I think we're seeing more of that NBA influence come into the college game.
Speaker 1: I got one more question for you, and I'm going to pick the sport. This is our last question. The game done amazing, by the way, I'm very impressed how you play this game, but so the Mammoth. Of course you were the Coyotes. Now they're the Mammoth. We're trying, we're slowly being convinced that the Mammoth was a thing here in Utah. But it was just a long time. It's ten thousand years ago. It's but we're catching up to history. What is it going to take and have the Mammoth done enough to make it to be a playoff team this year? In this in this NHL season.
Speaker 8: I thought they could have been a playoff team last year, but things had to go right, and they had so many injuries, got in the blue line right with John marineing as much time as he did, Sergachev was banged up, Sean Dursey was out for an extended period of time. It makes it hard to compete when guys you're counting on, and that was basically you didn't have half of your defense corps for a good chunk of the season. I like the move they made to go get Pa Turca to give them some more firepower up. Look, guys that score twenty five thirty goals a year, they don't grow on trees. And when I look at the top six offensively that they have with the great season that Keller had, the emergence of Gunther like, this is a team that can't compete. The problem that they have is you look at the division and how good Dallas is and the firepower Colorado has. It is a very tough division to compete in, and that's what they're going to have to do. But I think they can push. I think that there's a lot of young talent that's pushing under the radar move I like to pick up a Brandon tanneb You need to have a little sandpaper out there and some depth. This is a team that I think is definitely in the upswing and could push for a playoff spot next year.
Speaker 1: I sure hope. So for the sake and the sanity of all sports fans in the state of Utah, we need some winning. We're in the process of rebuilding all of our professional sports teams except for RSL. RSL is doing quite well.
Speaker 8: So well, I'll say that Mammoth they're not rebuilding at this point. They're rising. They were bottomed out and they consistently been getting better, so they're on the rise.
Speaker 1: How's that. I love the optimism. Hey, and thank you so much for humoring me with this little game we played. I hope it wasn't too much for you. I didn't ask you to name any pa Polynesian names, so hopefully it was a good day, a lot of fun.
Speaker 8: I really appreciate thanks for having me man.
Speaker 1: All right, have a good day you too. All right, there you have it. Roxy Bernstein. Of course, he is the man. He broadcasts all the sports around the sports dial. So oh, we're going to get some sound from Utah coming up here at after the break, We're going to have sounds from Camp ESPN seven our listeners. Help children at the road home start school in style. Stop by the advocates in Ogden, American Fork or Murray, pick an apple from the tree, and you can supply clothing, backpacks for a child at the road home. Is the drive was spent? Check its here on ESPN seven hundred ninety two one FM. Utah's the number one sports talk a fun show today, A lot of crazy stuff to talk about. I just enjoy it, I really do. I hope you too. I hope you enjoy the stories, the insight, the interviews, all of it, the analysis, paralysis by analysis, pick a guy, let a fly. These are all the things we just learned. Right now, we're going to do a little Camp Kyle assessment. Of course, we have the coordinators talking to us, and we have none other than old Morgan Scaley. He's gonna tell us what's going on up with night Hill.
Speaker 2: I asked you at the end of spring what might still be top of mind come fall, and you mentioned depth, that corner and defensive tackle.
Speaker 10: Obviously you haven't.
Speaker 3: Been on the field yet, but where do you write where do you feel.
Speaker 1: Here save spat spot.
Speaker 11: That's good, very good, yeah, but you know good to have a couple uh funeral d tackles dal In Battle transferring from LSU Pooper Cepalona, Semi Talalonga.
Speaker 10: So those bodies will.
Speaker 11: Help out a lot in the depth category. Now it's just a matter of developed, developing them and seeing who can play right away. The good thing is is we're not having to do much physically with them.
Speaker 10: There were there weights where it needs to be. It's just learning the defense.
Speaker 12: What led to your pursuit of Dylan Battle in the transfer portal outside of just the need of.
Speaker 11: Depth, well depth, the relationship he had with a former teammate, you know, and he was being let go. It was also an opportunity to look at something. You know, he was coming off an injury and we felt like we could be pretty aggressive in the treatment of it, that we could get him going right away.
Speaker 10: So there are a few things there.
Speaker 11: But obviously with the relationship we had with his coaching staff back in high school and then his relationship with meate.
Speaker 13: When you look at fall camp, how do you want to approach it in terms of trying to like get guys aggressive, kind of get them ready, but also still kind of save something for the season.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's a physical sport. You gotta you gotta be able to practice tackling. I think a few years ago and we played Florida. First time we played Florida at their place. We tried it, tried to dial it down physically, and we missed a ton of tackles in that game and it exposed us a little bit. So, yes, you know, we want to get to the first game healthy and uh, you know, we're spacing out the practices and the periods in a way that you know, we feel like we're being smart with with their health. At the same time, as a physical sport, you got to practice physicality, got to be able to tackle and do the things that football players do.
Speaker 12: Your defensive end room looks noticeably different, obviously in terms of the faces, but also just leaner, builds more athleticism. Has that been a point of emphasis this offseason? Increase in the athleticism, Uh.
Speaker 11: Not necessarily, I would say getting stronger. Definitely. You're always looking for speed off the edge. You know, this is again a point I've talked about before.
Speaker 10: I'm much more.
Speaker 11: Focused on a productive, efficient pass rush than sacks. If I'm hitting a quarterback, if I'm being disruptive, then you're forcing him to get rid of the ball quicker than he wants to. So I felt like we did a pretty good job of that last year. Obviously the sack count wasn't what it was in previous seasons, but I felt like we were effective at getting to the quarterback. I like the depth that we have there. I think that we've gotten better. Coach Palace done a great job of developing that group, and it's going to be a competitive fall camp for those guys.
Speaker 12: Corners also in the portal at GC Heart and Jalen Motion, what did they bring.
Speaker 13: To this corner room.
Speaker 1: We'll find out.
Speaker 11: Jac obviously has a ton of speed, he was a track guy out of high school, had shown that at Auburn the.
Speaker 10: Speed and the fluidity that we were looking for.
Speaker 11: He's got to continue to make sure that he's doing everything he can to be healthy, you know, with shoulder and everything. And then Mosen obviously provides some quickness, some athleticism. So those are two guys that need the development as well. But we would not have gone that route if we didn't feel like we could use them right away.
Speaker 13: You've seen a lot of offensive looks in your tenure, but what does it mean to have a guy like Devin Dampier who can kind of make things just different to kind of help your defense.
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 11: You know, Athletic quarterbacks just cause issues, particularly when you're going to use them in a dedicated quarterback run game.
Speaker 10: It's one thing for him to just pull it on his own.
Speaker 11: Escape the pocket, things break down and he's able to make plays just with his legs on his own. But when there's a dedicated run package or that you, as a defensive coordinator, I really have to focus on, Okay, how are we going to add a guy in the box? You know, how are we going to take care of the quarterback in the run game.
Speaker 10: It really forces you to practice that. So he provides both.
Speaker 11: You know he can if you're going to form man rush the kid. He does a great job of understanding when things break down when to take off. But they also have a very good, dedicated QB run game.
Speaker 7: At the beginning of spring, you talked about having an emphasis on more havoc plays this season. How do you feel that that went in the spring and then how does that work going to continue going on into the fall.
Speaker 11: I felt like havoc plays were a strong emphasis in spring. I felt like we did a really good job of it. The takeaways were really good. That's got to continue in fall camp. The studies have shown us that you know, your takeaways come from your number one takeaway in the Big Twelve last year was an interception in zone coverage. It's zone eyes, it's quarterbacks forcing things into windows.
Speaker 10: The second was intercept in man coverage.
Speaker 11: Which man coverage, you know, usually that's more of an incompletion coverage.
Speaker 10: Your your completion.
Speaker 11: Percentage goes down, and so the majority of interceptions you see there are you know, tipped passes, free safety coming over the top. And then you know, so the next thing that you're looking at is forced fumbles from the second guy in, not the first guy in.
Speaker 10: Second guy in.
Speaker 11: So there are certain takeaways, certain aspects of takeaways that you can practice zone drops, catching a football, you know, including footballs in your drill work, and then a focus on second guy in, how to strip the ball, how to take care of the ball, how to go down, how to recover ball in traffic versus how to recover a ball in space right, and so those are the things that we have to do a really good job of the things that you can practice in terms of takeaways.
Speaker 10: You better be practicing. And I feel like we're doing a good job of that.
Speaker 12: You talked about you talked about completion percentage, you know, in coverage smith snow and allowed. I think like forty percent coverage. Tail On someone's also really good. What's going to be the key for them becoming more playmakers on the ball and getting those takeaways.
Speaker 10: It's just a matter of making the plays.
Speaker 11: There's a couple of times last year where Tail's got the ball right there, can make can make a play, didn't make the play, and so it's just a matter of making the play. He's got the athleticism he's got the ability. We just got to be able to make the play. So again, drill work where they're flipping finding the ball right locally, locate drills on the sideline when you're when you're working fades, you know, vertical routes, jumping in front of the vertical route. When to steal, when to strike right? There comes a time where you have to make that decision as a safety. Am I am I going to be able to get to the ball if not strike him? If I can get there, steal it. So again, drill work is a big part of that.
Speaker 5: Spring.
Speaker 13: In spring you had talked about you guys just weren't good enough and stopping the run. How do you feel like you can change that this year? What is the personnel like, how do you kind of get to that point?
Speaker 11: Some of it was techniques, some of it was mistackles. So again, we got to be able to tackle better, you know, the not throwing shoulders, making sure that we understand proper tackling technique, and then proper technique in maintaining gaps. A big a bunch of the big hitters were guys not maintaining their gaps.
Speaker 10: And that's just an alignment assignment deal.
Speaker 1: All right, there you have it. Coach Morgan scally is first day of camp. There are some really interesting stuff there. A little bit surprising to me. Actually. One of the things, of course, is the is the depth and adding a few guys in the transfer portal. And the comment to me that kind of stood out was, we wouldn't go after these guys if we didn't think that they could help us immediately. I think it's a big challenge for programs in this day and age, where you have the transfer portal, you don't have the years to developing.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 1: You hear Coach Scaley talk about TAYO Johnson and there were plays to be made and and you know, TAYL Johnson this year probably makes those plays. And it's because he's had time to develop, he said, time to grow. He said, he's gotten that experience, and experience is just such a big part of the kind of success you have. So it'll be fascinating to me one to see how how this defense actually assimilate some of this depth and some of these new guys that have come in post spring football. Another thing that I thought was interesting was that like there's a lot of depth at certain positions, and and I think I think the absolute key to this defense is to be able to get pressure on the quarterback. I I when when the season ended last year, if it was me, I would and and I had like money to spend and to go out in the transfer portal, I go find the best defensive lineman I could possibly find in the transfer portal, and I would do it in you know, I spend the money at because because it just makes this defense go. And you have you have athleticism in the secondary, you got experience at linebacker. You put pressure on the quarterback, and it really spells uh up. You know, a healthy, positive thing for your your defense if you can do that. And so they've got a lot of guys, and it's really good that there's competition because that that's going to raise all boats, you know, the competition type of thing. So it'll be it'll be fascinating to me to see what happens was this defensive line. And and there's some guys in there that could potentially really emerge and and and you know, you listen to Morgan, you know, he doesn't sound like he's full of baloney. It doesn't sound like he's just kind of I mean, I know that there's you know, there's whatever, but I think he really feels confident that he's got some depth at that defensive line position, is a defensive end position, and that that someone will emerge out of the pack. And you know, it's this as this team evolves, as this team develops, the quicker that they can create, that assimilation the team, whatever, I think the better off they're actually going to be. You were there, porter, what what's what's some of your thoughts?
Speaker 2: I always and I agree with you Scott on on some of the things that stood out from from one Morgan Scalley. But I always kind of point back to and and you heard me open up the questioning with Morgan, asking him had anything changed from fall and or from from spring. Right, he wanted to see depth in the quarterback cornerback room and depth in the defensive tackle room improve. And his response to that was, Dude, we haven't played anything yet, right, we have not hit the field yet. This is the first interview of spring. We haven't practiced yet. Check back next week, check back after kickoff. And for me, that tells me that there's still questions.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: The fact that.
Speaker 2: Morgan is being very ambiguous about some of the depth at cornerback, at defensive tackle. That tells me that he's still working through some of the hierarchy there. And thirty one days from kickoff, I really want to see that take shape. I really want to know who the first four or five guys are at corner and I really want to know how deep that defensive tackle rotation is because, as you know Scott, on this Utah team and on this Particularler defensive scheme, if you can have four, five, six guys rotating a defensive tackle, it adds an element to this defense that completely changes the way they can play.
Speaker 1: When they've had depth, they've won championships exactly. It's just it's just been a thing. Whether it's because you know, you save guys, you keep guys healthy, you have a nice rotation, they don't get beat up, they don't get worn out. There is there's just an attrition through the year, and and so having that depth is just is just really the key to success. And quite frankly, I think it's a key to you know, a lot of these big time programs, they just they do their stockpiled with really good player you know, the backups. If you think about back in the day at USC, the backups might be better than the starters and and that's where Utah really made a move to be a different team. So it's challenging now now the backups. Now the depth is coming through the portal and it's coming late, and so can they get up to speed. Morgan did say from a physical standpoint, we're good. So we don't have a bunch of fat bodies that we got to get in shape.