Speaker 1: Hey, how's it going.
Speaker 2: I'm Nicole and I'm Ben, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a.
Speaker 1: True gram podcast.
Speaker 2: Warning. The following podcast contains graphic content and material intend more mature audience. The listener discretion is it. Do you have drinks?
Speaker 1: The ready totally do?
Speaker 2: Clink clink.
Speaker 1: It was a last minute decision for me to get a drink. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: It should never be a last minute decision. It should just be an always decision to have a drink, especially when we're podcasting. I know, is it Wicked and Grim without a drink?
Speaker 1: No? I was like literally just sitting here, kind of being born with a glass of water, and I was like, what the hell am I doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, gotta get I gotta drink, Gotta get the sip.
Speaker 1: Out, so smearing off ice again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got me some iced tea and whiskey, or I guess for our southern friends, because we've got lots of those, all of y'all. It's sweet tea and whiskey.
Speaker 1: Oh sweet tea, yeah, because it's it's but our iced tea in there. It's different though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're sweet tea is our iced tea and their iced tea is like our legit iced tea with like no sugar.
Speaker 1: It's just right, okay. That's I'm like, I'm confused because I've gone and I ordered iced tea and like I'm like, this isn't what I wanted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a little bit different.
Speaker 1: I would be okay with it now probably, but when I was younger it wasn't. But now I really like tea, it would probably be fine. Yeah, but back then I was like what it was. I don't know if I can drink it.
Speaker 2: That sweet tea is definitely a little bit better in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's probably not as good for you.
Speaker 2: Touche go one. What is good for us? Though? What the bomb we are dropping?
Speaker 1: We have a few bombs we do.
Speaker 2: Let's start with the big bomb.
Speaker 1: Are we ready for this?
Speaker 2: It's the f bomb? Fuck no, it's not.
Speaker 1: It's a cast a cast. What's a cast?
Speaker 2: A cast is when you're fishing and you throw out the line into the water. It's a cast.
Speaker 1: Okay, But it.
Speaker 2: Is also a podcasting network that we have officially been signed with, So you guys, because of all you amazing people out there, we are officially a signed.
Speaker 1: Podcast which is wild. It's crazy because we've been doing this for only seven.
Speaker 2: Months, I think something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like never in our wildest dreams did we think that we have would have come this far.
Speaker 2: No yet, I mean we hoped, yeah, like maybe like.
Speaker 1: Maybe like three years. Oh, I guess we have different three.
Speaker 2: To five years. It would like maybe one day, like we could have some sponsors or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like here we are seven months later and we're hooking up with acasts and they're going to hook us up with things like sponsors and all that sort of stuff. And it's all because of you guys. So we are moving forward with some incredible stuff right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because our Wicked Ingram family is dope. Yeah, it is like I'm not biased, not at all, and I'm like obsessed with you guys.
Speaker 2: It's you guys are pretty fucking cool. Thank you, Thanks, thank you guys. So what's going to happen? Basically, we're going to get some sponsors on board. We're also going to be able to work with other podcasts on the network. The network is going to help us maybe improve our analytics because most of you guys are listening on Spotify. I think only like three percent of Our listeners are iTunes.
Speaker 1: Which is Apple Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Apple Podcasts used to be iTunes, which is crazy because they're another big player in the game. So they're going to help us try and get more people from that platform listening. So it's going to be a good all around thing.
Speaker 1: I'm excited.
Speaker 2: And we're also going to be doing something else alongside that.
Speaker 1: What is it Patreon?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're Patreon.
Speaker 1: We're going to get it like, look at us, go here, It's like, what the hell are we we're doing?
Speaker 2: Ye expect that coming down the pipe. Patreon is going to be uh up and ready for you guys. Whoever wants to sign up, maybe get some free behind the scene content logs. I don't know, extra episodes, whatever, it may be.
Speaker 1: Lots of shit. Really, I have tons of ideas. I can't wait.
Speaker 2: It's going to be awesome.
Speaker 1: It's going to be freaking dope. It's going to be wicked, wicked like the wickedly lily wickedest that is.
Speaker 2: That's the word of the day, wickedly latelist smooth.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then we also are finishing off a documentary.
Speaker 2: We are right the Highway of Tears. It's it's called Why We cry.
Speaker 1: It's a sad title, it is, but it's a good title, it is.
Speaker 2: But the entire point of it is you and I live in Prince George, British Columbia, which is the head of the Highway of Tears leading what is it north east west? Okay west? I had to do my never each Okay.
Speaker 1: I was just doing that too, or never eat what is a soggy wiener?
Speaker 2: So that one's perverted.
Speaker 1: I don't like that one. Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 2: Heads over to west, the west coast and it ends up in Prince Rupert. There is a long stretch of highway where many women have gone missing over the course of the last few all couple decades, a lot of indigenous women, yea. And we as residents of this area don't know much about it, and I.
Speaker 1: Kind of is not good.
Speaker 2: It's not and I want to beg that question. Why don't we know more? So that's kind of what we explore in this documentary. And we are wrapping up filming really quick here and we're in the editing process. We're already our bit, but a little more to go. So that's coming down the pipe real soon.
Speaker 1: For you guys. Yeah, I can't wait for it to air and like just to myself watch it too and just have it see it all come together. That's really exciting.
Speaker 2: It is. But we can't just aired on our own because we are going through tell Us with that we are we got a grant through grant Yeah, yeah, so we have to deliver it to tell us. They will put it out and so we have to wait for them and they're okay for us to show it to you guys, but it will happen soon.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and even if it's not through us, it will be out there. I'll tell you at some point.
Speaker 2: I assume as it's available, we'll let you guys know exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then on a personal note, just tiny little personal meulta next, everyone's always like it is about a tiny thing. Everyone's always asking about a tiny home. And so we have the week off this week and we're so we're slowly actual already.
Speaker 2: Moving shit into it slowly.
Speaker 1: But that's kind of what I wanted to do. Yes, I want it to be slow. Hopefully we'll have a garage sale this weekend, so if you want to buy.
Speaker 2: Our ship stuff on buy We've got some bowls.
Speaker 1: So oh, we got a lot more than just bowls all day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got some margarita glasses.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because we're going to just drink at a Mason jars be like hipsters. Is that a hipster thing? I feel like it is.
Speaker 2: Well, I think technically originally it was like a redneck hillbilly thing, or like originally because like drinking in the moonshine the jars and stuff. Right, Oh okay, it was a moonshiner thing.
Speaker 1: Are we he'll redneck hillbillies?
Speaker 2: I do think we have some moonshine in our cupveroed right now.
Speaker 1: Or maybe like a tiny bit that. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think we're redneck.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What else we sell? Maybe a husky or two? Oh yeah, if you want to buy a rip lea stop.
Speaker 1: Are actually for sale or just for free, we'll pay you.
Speaker 2: If you want to take a dog, we will give you money to take one.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is all jokes. We're obsessed with our dogs. I think people probably know that. Yeah, but yeah, they're not for sale. But yeah, we're gonna have a groageo this weekend. So yeah, I wanted to move into the tiny home slowly, and we kind of are. But I think there's gonna be like a crunch time where it's like, yeah, well.
Speaker 2: That the official dates moving in on us. We only have a couple of weeks left, so yeah, we got some stuff to get done on the tiny home and the move, but we'll be in there sooner and later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's sweet and you'all asking for tiny home updates. We just threw that in there.
Speaker 2: Who whoa, whoa Did you just say y'all?
Speaker 1: I actually do say y'all sometimes I think in conversation, don't I I don't know, Well, I'm starting it now.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And I also say a a lot or hey.
Speaker 2: Hey a hey, I say a lot when I'm swearing a lot.
Speaker 1: Don't we even say a lot differently too?
Speaker 2: About that's what you're thinking? We say about weird.
Speaker 1: I don't know. There's other things.
Speaker 2: We're Canadian. That's all I know.
Speaker 1: That's all. Yeah, that's all we know. That's all we know. That's all. We're here for.
Speaker 2: What we are going to do, though. We're going to slow this intro down because well, maybe not slow down, we're going to speed it up. Okay, there we go, because we got to get into this case. This is oh my god, a crazy case.
Speaker 1: I'm almost nervous.
Speaker 2: I have not done this much research on a case since the very first episode.
Speaker 1: Do Out Look Past Real.
Speaker 2: It is, oh my god, so much out there on this, and it trying to weed through all the information because a really big thing I noticed when researching I'm not sure if you've noticed the same. When we're researching a case, Google usually pops up with like the first few pages of Google is generally recent news articles, which just skim over the information and it's very bland the same thing. So trying to find that deep information can be hard sometimes unless you go like Reddit or something like that. But and this was the case with this, And even when you do find some deeper ones, they're not all correlating the same because it's like, okay, between this date and this date this stuff happened, It's like, okay, that's like a three four year gap, So when were these things and what exactly was that? So you find another one that says the date on this incident, and another website that says a date on this incident, and you're trying to file all these things together. So that's kind of what I found with this, and holy hell, is a lot. And I'm impressed with you guys Instagram because you managed to guess it once again. I thought I was gonna fool you.
Speaker 1: Oh, just expect that they'll get it. They're awesome.
Speaker 2: I am expecting they're going to get it. But I'm hoping that I'll google them.
Speaker 1: There's just a small bit of hope in there.
Speaker 2: Hey, well, I think we went like twelve minutes and I was like, no one's got it yet.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my gosh, well minutes. It's nothing.
Speaker 2: I know. I know my hopes are up though. Regardless though this is the case of Annalise Michelle, which inspired the movie The Exorcism of Emily Rose.
Speaker 1: Which we just watched. We did just watch it, so I feel like I know a little bit about this case because lot of times you leave me in the dark and I'm legitimately learning everything just as you guys all are.
Speaker 2: You're a little bit of a ahead of the game.
Speaker 1: This time, I am a little bit by a lot of people probably watched that movie.
Speaker 2: Too, Yes, And what I found really interesting about this movie is there's a lot of of course, you know, movie magic scripted stuff, but there was a lot of like small details they had in there that were very on point when I was watching it, like, very on point key.
Speaker 1: But I was also asking you questions all day and you weren't answering them, And now I can't remember any of those questions. Hopefully they get answered.
Speaker 2: You did know some extra information, but I didn't tell you all of it.
Speaker 1: No, you didn't.
Speaker 2: So let's let's go head down into the case of Analise Michelle so Anna Elizabeth Michelle or Annalise Mitchell. I think it's because she's German, so I think it's like Mitchell, but most people just say Michelle.
Speaker 1: So okay.
Speaker 2: So Annalise was born September twenty first, nineteen fifty two.
Speaker 1: Okay, ka got it.
Speaker 2: This took place in West Germany, So she's German, like I said, And she was born into a strict Catholic family. Annalisee's parents, Anna and Joseph Mitchell, were deeply religious, and before Annalise was born, her mother became quote unquote disgraced by giving birth to an illegitimate child. Truth that means I don't know.
Speaker 1: Actually in here, illegitimate means like was she not married or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's having a kid before marriage. Oh, okay, so a legitimate child is birthed in marriage.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I see, and then back in that day in the nineteen fifties is probably even.
Speaker 2: More strict whatever, right, a strict Catholic family. So yeah, So anyway, she gave birth to a baby girl named Martha hold On. Okay, yes, so, and as punishment for her sin, Anna had to actually wear a black veil on her wedding day. This is like how hardcore this family is and how religious they are.
Speaker 1: So I've never heard of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty intense.
Speaker 1: That's like wild, right and like kind of brutal. Yeah. I don't even know what to say. I've never heard of that. That is so intense.
Speaker 2: If I were he, I would have just showed up in an entirely black yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was literally what was going through my head. Yeah, like, fuck you all, just the whole thing black.
Speaker 2: Fuck Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But then I don't know what would her next punishment be. You gotta be careful, yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no kidding. Well, anyways, her first legitimate daughter was Annalise. She was born, and Anna became began to slowly and steadily impose the idea of Annalise needing to be like this perfect child upon her sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Can I ask a question already? Sorry? Yes, okay, but that first kid of theirs, yes it was. It's like the same mom and dad as the second kid, right, yes, okay, just.
Speaker 2: To make sure it was before.
Speaker 1: That, it was just before they're married.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, ok So Martha actually ended up dying of kidney failure in nineteen fifty six at the age of only eight years old.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, that's awful, right, like shitty.
Speaker 2: So after that, Anna became even more sort of in her attempts to push Analyse into religious practices, demanding that she attend mass twice a week and keep her at a very close like like close proximity to her so she could always be watching her like a very much so like a helicopter mom and today's standard sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Mm hm.
Speaker 2: So it was like always like Analyse had to be perfect in every aspect of Anna's vision. Okay, okay, got that.
Speaker 1: That's a lot to live up to.
Speaker 2: Probably, so while Analyse was in her teens, she even slept on bare stone floor quote unquote, suffering for the sins of homeless, homeless drug addicts and others damned souls this is how hardcore she pushed her.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow.
Speaker 2: So even despite all these pushings and everything, Analse did enjoy school, and she was described as happy and well liked by her teachers and excelled at languages. But in September of nineteen sixty eight, when she was sixteen, she blacked out in clas and went into an epileptic seizure. According to classmates, she seemed to go into like a trance like state for a few minutes, which really, I mean, that's kind of typical of seizures. I mean, can you imagine a person who's having a seizure and they're not in like a translate state, they're very like conscious, Like that's not normal.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, but it's like why did she have that? Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, anyways, that night she woke up with a heavy feeling on her body. It was feeling like something was pressing down on her on her chest when she was sleeping in bed, felt like she was being pinned down, and it was also reported that she uncontrollably wet the bed from this incidentt Oh jeez, so pretty heavy stuff, especially for a sixteen year old. Yeah, I can imagine if I felt something like that pressing down on me in the middle of the night.
Speaker 1: I'd piss myself just saying, well, yeah, you'd be scared. I'd probably shit myself scared shitless.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're a little bit worse than Anneli's aura.
Speaker 1: That's a lot.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is terrifying. Yeah, and it seems to me a lot like what's being described here is sleep prolysis. Okay, So like you're you're kind of like wide awake, but you can't move. You're paralyzed.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it could feel like something was kind of on you because you.
Speaker 2: Can move and you're having these muscle contractions from potential seizure. So it could feel like a very heavy presence or something pushing on your chest. That's what it seems like, and medically, that's what a lot of people generally explain these things as when it comes to this case. Okay, however, we are talking about what influenced a movie called The Exorcism of Emily Rose. So there's also the other obvious end of the spectrum of the argument.
Speaker 1: I have to toss that movie out of my head, though, is that right away I was like, what do you mean choose that college, so I got to get rid of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not entirely Yeah. Like I said, there's some details that are spot on, but the movie itself not so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, now where did I go?
Speaker 2: Okay? So she didn't go to school the next day. She wasn't feeling well and she needed to regain her strength, so she stayed home and her parents monitored her. She quickly recovered and her family decided that she was fine as there was no further incidents. Okay, that is until eleven months later, in August of nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a big gap.
Speaker 2: It is something similar happened and Analyse was taken to a doctor. She was diagnosed with psychosis caused by a temporal lobe epilepsy, and shortly thereafter she was diagnosed with depression, which was treated by a psychiatric hospital. Okay, so doctor, again, these are German names, so I'm gonna try my best. Vogued vogt vogged fogged. Maybe I'm gonna say vogged Okay, doctor Vogged. The family physician was consulted and after examining a lease, doctor Vogg couldn't find anything wrong with her, so he referred her to a new neurologist named doctor Sigfried Louthy. Now Doctor Luthy found nothing his initial examination, so he ended up ordering an EEG on the twenty seventh of August nineteen sixty nine. And an EEG is a test that detects electroactivity in your brain using small electrodes that attached to your scalp. So it's basically like a brain scan.
Speaker 1: Okay, so if okay, sorry, if she has these things, it's going to detect.
Speaker 2: It should However, the EEG didn't find anything either. It showed completely normal results.
Speaker 1: Hmmmm, So the doct trust the.
Speaker 2: Doctor believed Anne Elise was experiencing Grand Mau seizures, and since she only had two events, there was no necessarily any reason for her to have medicine prescribed to her. Okay, So essentially it's just kind of like she just had a couple off seizures. There's nothing wrong with her mentally like it. Hopefully it's just a one and done kind of incident or two and done agains incident.
Speaker 1: That is alarming though, Hey, it is like that would just make you nose at all, because it sounds like they're intense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whether you're talking about potential possession or some sort of I don't know something in your system neurologically or is that the word neurologically? Brainly, I don't know brainally. If there's something going on one way or another medically or religiously, how's that. It's terrifying to think of either way. So I don't know. It would it would scare the shit out of me, That's all I know. So, while undergoing the psychiatric evaluation by doctor Luthy Analise, her tonsils became inflamed and she had a tonsilectomy. Okay, shortly after the operation, analyse contracted. I'm gonna butcher saying this florissy, flurissy, which is the lung condition? Oh really, yeah, flourish. It's something about like the lung becoming inflamed and like almost becoming detached from like, oh god, her rib cage wall.
Speaker 1: So it was from that operator to the tonsils getting removed.
Speaker 2: No, I don't believe.
Speaker 1: So it was just a case totally, Like, holy, a lot of shit's happening along with that.
Speaker 2: She developed pneumonia and tuberculosis.
Speaker 1: Holy freg Yeah, she's in some rough shade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's going through a lot of shit, no care, a lot of shit. So from nineteen sixty nine to nineteen seventy she was sick and restricted to her bed to recover. Then in February of nineteen seventy, Annalise was admitted to a hospital specializing in children with lung disease. Then, without improvement, she was sent to a tuberculosis clinic in Bavaria. While the clinic, well, in the clinic, sorry, Analise had kind of isolated herself with her with her kind of quirky nature is the best way to say it. She was kind of closed off a little bit, especially with what she's been going through recently, right.
Speaker 1: So it's just changed her speed basically.
Speaker 2: Well it's that a bit, but also her upbringing in a strict Catholic family, sleeping on stone floors, that sort of thing. So she kind of isolated herself and she was being taunted by the kids and they were calling her snot nose.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Well they were.
Speaker 2: Kind of perceiving her as being stuck up a bit too.
Speaker 1: Oh I see, okay, I thought that she just said like snot running from her nose. That was like not like like that, she was snotty that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they thought she was being snotty, probably more so because of her religious practices that sort of thing. Yeah, okay, sorry, this is like info heavy. So that was February of nineteen seventy. Now we're onto June third of nineteen seventy and Lese had a third seizure.
Speaker 1: Oh dang.
Speaker 2: And again it took place around the same time as the other two, which was now being noticed as a pattern. And it was midnight. She suffered sleep paralysis again with the same weight pressing down in her chest, and once again wet the bed. Once she recovered, she shot right up in bed and screamed in terror, and her screams woke up the rest of the clinic and brought in the nurses.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a visual on the half. Eh. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, with sleep prolyssis, you can't make a noise, you can't move, so as soon as it's like you're snapping out of it, it's like just freaking the fuck out.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, like help me, yeah, like help me, Holy frick.
Speaker 2: Rightanic I panic. The other kids in the clinic now also thought Analise was crazy.
Speaker 1: Oh dang.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was also noted in her files that the children told her she was possessed by the devil.
Speaker 1: That's nice.
Speaker 2: Possession claims were also partially linked to the twisted expression on Analise's face, her eyes appearing black as her pupils would dilate to such large size that the facts that her eyes basically just looked like they were pure.
Speaker 1: Black time or just when she was.
Speaker 2: Happy during that incident. Yeah, sorry, I kind of worded that a little bit, but it was during that incident, okay. And also her hands were locked rigidly like a cat quote unquote, like a cat extending its claws. Yeah, and that's so that's what she kind of looked like when the nurse nurse's first found her when they came in after that incident sort of thing. So she's awake, but she's still like contorted and like screening.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So despite this, her physical health would begin to improve. Analise was discharged and sent home. Notably, though, when she was sent home, her sister reported that Analyse was frequently angry and would go into uncontrollable rages.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: She would have full on seizures. She would frequently blackout, develop a snarled and distorted face during her episodes have her arms go rigid and urinate all over herself, and theseisodes would continue and continue and only begin to increase in frequency. I can't imagine having a family member in my house having to go through that sort of shit.
Speaker 1: Well, and I thought that they just said that she was like better. That doesn't sound like.
Speaker 2: She well, she was recovering from things like her tuberculosis.
Speaker 1: That shit was better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So like she's getting better from those specific diseases, but she's not getting better in other aspects because she was sent to that children's hospital that was specifically for the lung diseases, right, so she's kind of recovering from those.
Speaker 1: Right, So that makes sense. Well, yeah, I couldn't imagine just oh well, because she was the oldest, so her siblings, I would think, like you'd almost be afraid her. Yeah, right, like your own family is now kind of walking around you with like on eggshells.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh, definitely. I mean I'm already the black sheep in my family and I can't And I'm the youngest, though not the oldest, But I can't imagine if they I actually gave my family a real reason to make me a black.
Speaker 1: Sheep, right, Oh, maybe you do.
Speaker 2: Maybe I do and I just don't realize it. Maybe I have twisted, distorted looks on my faces every time I see my family.
Speaker 1: I'll let you know, Okay, I'll watch you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: All right. So anlease was seen by a neurologist, uh doctor Vaughan Holler. I don't have doctor written here, I just realized, but I'm assuming it's doctor. He's a neurologist. So oh yeah. This time the EEG did show irregular alpha waves mixed with scattered delta waves and theta waves. Though he tried, he was unable to introduce any or induce any seizures by stimulation of the brain. Nonetheless, in view of her previous seizures, he recommended an anti convulsion drug. Okay, So it was determined that she had a form of epilepsy, and anti seizure medication was, like I said, recommended. So it was recommended, though it wasn't given to her right away. Just want to highlight that there.
Speaker 1: I imagine all of this going on too. Is just it could just be hurting her body too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, seizures a lot of time, they're not easy on you. You're convulsing you have a very fall down. You have a very high chance of hitting your head.
Speaker 1: Well, and then just that is that's happening a lot. I can't imagine it's good for your brain either.
Speaker 2: Oh, definitely, not definitely not okay. So a week later, while praying, annially suddenly saw quote unquote a huge, grimacing face for a brief moment. From that point onward, she often feared to pray, thinking that the monstrous face might return if she did so. This was her first time linking that ailment might be something other than an ordinary illness and linking it to her religion, and this is where she began to develop an aversion to wholly related items, crosses, things like that.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So, in nineteen seventy two, doctor Luthy examined Annalise once again and could find nothing pathologically wrong in another EEG. She was, however, finally prescribed an anti convulsion drugph zentropal, which is in America North America called Delantin. Okay, So, while she was taking her season your.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm glad you're saying this because or doing this case, because I would have already so much trouble pronouncing all.
Speaker 2: The show I'm getting so tongue tied already.
Speaker 1: You're doing about one hundred times better than I would be doing.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. I got to take a sip here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that will help. It's all gone.
Speaker 2: Alcohol will help me particulate better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: I can speak words good. Okay. So, while she was taking her seizure medication, That's what I was trying to say, she was still experiencing some epileptic symptoms, though she wasn't having full seizures, and she did continue to see evil menacing faces that would scarce like, holy fuck. Could you imagine you're just sitting there taking a ship and all of a sudden, in the door in front of you, there's just this like damn face.
Speaker 1: Well, I was outside earlier cleaning up the dog shit, speaking of shit, and I had left my garden door open, and then all of a sudden, the wind took and it was like close, and I was like, oh my god, side even though it's like clearly this the wind, but it's like, was that after you watched the movie?
Speaker 2: Yeah, gotcha, especially considering there is a point in that movie where a door is creepily opening up slowly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm it was the wind. It was the wind.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was total, it was. I always lose my spot every time we get on. Oh, you have nothing to be sorry for. I'm just for whatever reason, I can never look get.
Speaker 1: So interested in what I'm having to say.
Speaker 2: It's because I look at you. It's because I look at your face and you're just so beautiful.
Speaker 1: Beautiful eyes.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, oh look at that. I lost my spot. Okay, So Anilie's turned more towards her faith. Oh, hold on, Yeah, so Anili's did turn towards more her faith and began to immerse herself in biblical literature, and she pilgrimaged to local shrines. She then came to believe that she was being made to suffer from a greater or for a greater spiritual reason. What that reason was not too sure. The first unofficial diagnosis was made by an older woman while Annalise was on one of her pilgrimages. She noticed that Annalise avoided walk past particular images of Jesus and that she refused to drink water from a holy spring, along with claims that anially smelled quote unquote hellishly bad. So she unofficially diagnosed her with being possessed. Interesting, Now, I don't think she has any specific title that gives her the right to give that diagnosis. Who is this? Sorry, just some older woman, I don't I couldn't find a name, but some woman that was on one of her pilgrimages with her sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, so trusting.
Speaker 2: On September third of, I don't know what year, because again, trying to correlate those years sometimes was just fucking difficult.
Speaker 1: I feel like the last year was nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 2: It is nineteen seventy two. That's the last year. So this very well could be nineteen seventy two or nineteen seventy three. Okay, so I'm not too sure if it is, I think it's late nineteen seventy two. But so on September of, I'm assuming nineteen seventy two, Anneli's visited doctor Luthy again and finally told him of the hideous faces she was seeing as she hid them from him all this time. So far from fear of being ridiculed or judged.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean she's very much so already been judged through this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no kidding, that's fair, But I mean, so far it can be like medically explained, or at least hopefully medically explained. They're looking for something medical, and all of a sudden you're like, yeah, I'm seeing demons and shit, But that could.
Speaker 1: Still technically kind of be medical explained.
Speaker 2: It can, it can, but it's also something that someone could be worried about being ridiculed, like I'm seeing fucking demons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people might think him Graig Cray. Yeah, yeah, I know that's fair.
Speaker 2: Regardless, though she did tell doctor Luthy finally good and doctor Luthy recalled that quote unquote, she could not get her mind off these things. She had no power of decision, and everything was empty in her oh an Anna Michelle, which is Anelice's mother, claimed that doctor Luthy then advised them to seek out a Jesuit priest about about the demonic faces, but the doctor denies this claim to this day, says he never really never recommended that. So there is thought that maybe it was like a joke in a passing comment like maybe you should like see a I don't know, like you know.
Speaker 1: Something like that, like yeah, but like when you're talking to a doctor, they shouldn't be joking.
Speaker 2: Well, but like that she seems she's seen Damon's maybe a priest is.
Speaker 1: Your answer, And because of their there's quite religious background, they took it like quite literally.
Speaker 2: So that's possible. Yeah, because she says he did say say it. He's like, I did not recommend that, So there could have just been like a passing comment that he never even really meant, I guess, but regardless.
Speaker 1: Or he's just a liar, or he's just a liar.
Speaker 2: And he wants to keep his like medical name clean of anything like that. Regardless of that whole situation, though she says he recommended it, he says he didn't. However, what did come out from that is doctor Luthy did label and Lease as no longer capable of making decisions on her own. But this warning, however, fell in empty years.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, so he's saying that she shouldn't be making decisions on her own. Yeah, but then they didn't take that literally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, they didn't really listen to that.
Speaker 1: Interesting. This whole doctor's appointment seems like it was a bit sketch, right.
Speaker 2: It's like, I don't know, going into the walking clinic in like the real sketchy part of town, and you're just being eyed up by everyone in there, and they're like, you got some money.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, so they take his jokes literally, but his actual advice not Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, got it. Now. Shortly after this, a neighbor to the Michelle family, THEA. Hines, seriously suggested that Analse could possibly be possessed.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: THEA was also heavily religious and was a member of the same Paris that the Michelle family attended. She also frequently host hosted meetings of the just these words are hard.
Speaker 1: These words are hard.
Speaker 2: They are. She also frequently hosted meetings of the Jesuits. There we go uh in the area. And through these connections, Father Ernest Alt was asked to come in and evaluate Analse. Okay, so analyse began seeing Father Ernest Alt. I hope I consistently went through and said Alt in this because it's going to message yep, because there I refer to him as Ernst and I'm like, I know, I said Alt. Later on.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Okay, we get it, we got it. That's the probably only priest involved. I'm assuming, so, m oh shit, okay, never mind, that's not helpful. Now.
Speaker 2: Father Alt also claimed that he had special god given powers to know if a person was under demonic influence or if it was just someone who was physically ill.
Speaker 1: He claimed, this, Okay, so interesting, this is I wish I had that power, right sweet, I'd be like.
Speaker 2: That person's a fucking demon. That person's a demon. My boss, you a fucking demon. Get the fuck out of here. Oh my gosh, I really hope my boss is listening to.
Speaker 3: This right now.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say he's not.
Speaker 2: Okay. So on the twenty sixth of December nineteen seventy three, something happened in the world which could potentially have changed the path of this case and the life of Analyse forever. Any idea what it is?
Speaker 1: No, dang, I really want to.
Speaker 2: The movie The Exorcist was released.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: This movie was based on the book written in nineteen seventy one by William Peter Blatley, and it could very well have been influence that sealed Analyse's fate.
Speaker 1: Really very well come. And this is interesting.
Speaker 2: Well, up until this point, exorcisms and possessions was not much of a huge thing. I mean, it was something definitely, I mean clearly they've already been mentioning it for Analise.
Speaker 1: That people are predicting she's possessed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but now this movie, which if you dive into the Exorcist at all, when it was in theaters, people were running out of the theaters, people were fainting in theaters, There was news reports of all this. It was pandemonium over this movie in theaters.
Speaker 1: And was it just like a made ups thing? Right?
Speaker 2: This movie? I can't remember. I didn't do my research thoroughly on the Exorcist movie itself. The Exorcist movie may have been based on another event I don't know, or if it's written it's based on the book, and I don't know if the book is fictional or if it's based on true events. Okay, someone out there might know us. Hit us up on Instagram if you know that. But regardless, the movie came out and it could very well have played a role because now the whole world is talking about possession and exorcistem.
Speaker 1: How to get rid of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Annalise would visit Father Herman, which is a new father. She was working with about ten times from fall of nineteen seventy three to the summer of nineteen seventy five. Now, during this time, Father Hermann provided counseling for Analyse and would evaluate her demonic possession. They would consistently pray, and Analyse would tell Father Herman that she felt like she was being controlled. During these visits. Father Herman noted that Analse quote unquote showed no violent behavior or adversions to any Christian symbols, which is contradictory to many other priests claims.
Speaker 1: When her own yeah, like earlier on I think you.
Speaker 2: Mentioned, yeah, well she it wasn't necessarily that she had an aversion. Well there was.
Speaker 1: She thought there was some correlation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so she kind of avoided them. It's not that she hated them or anything.
Speaker 1: So okay.
Speaker 2: So that was between the summer between fall of nineteen seventy three and summer of nineteen seventy five. She was seeing Father Herman a bit now. Also during the fall of nineteen seventy three and least began attending the University of Wurzburg. I think is how you say it again German word? I don't fucking know. I tried my best.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, you're doing good.
Speaker 2: Thank you on a scholarship. Actually, so good for her on that right on, while continuing to take her prescribed medications. Doctor Luthy's records actually confirmed that her parents obtained a renewed prescription for diet D latin. I think is how you said latin. Whatever she was taking before, she's still on that lat D lantin. There we go de lantin and I just have to say something super quick.
Speaker 1: Sorry. So with all the shit she was going through, like mega shit, she still got a scholarship. She did, Like that's actually amazing, right.
Speaker 2: So I do want to say right there and a Lisa's the badass of.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, that's like wow.
Speaker 2: So good for her. Holy So, although she wasn't troubled by seizures, she continued to see hideous faces and be troubled by depression and homesickness even while she was on the medication. So she is still getting symptoms, but she's not at least having the full on.
Speaker 1: Seizures, which is good.
Speaker 2: So on November twenty seventh, she saw doctor Leonard, doctor Lennard, a psychiatrist. She told him I have and this is a quote from her, I have no will power. I simply float around and don't know what I want. A Doctor Lennard recommended a neurological exam due to Analysea's history of seizures, and yet again another EEG was performed for the first time. However, an Lisa's EEG was judged at normal. Okay, as another doctor in here, doctor Sleep Schlep s c h L E I P Sleep Schlep.
Speaker 1: You're asking me, Schlep.
Speaker 2: Doctor Schlep found quote unquote apiletic patterns. Okay, yea, referring to a discharge on the left temporal region.
Speaker 1: Wonder if this, like medical technology is just getting better. You know, it's.
Speaker 2: Potential, there's potential for that. I mean, I'm not verse too much in the medical world or industry or especially how it's grown over the course of the seventies, so I'm not too.
Speaker 1: Sure, but I mean I feel like there could definitely be some growth with it, is my thought.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely. Like can say there's a potential for it, but I don't know for sure. Yeah, doctor Schlepp changed Analysa's prescription from Delantin. I said it, right, yea, Delantin to the stronger Tegretel to Gretel to Gretel in hopes of fully suppressing epileptic symptoms. The new medication, however, did nothing to relieve her.
Speaker 1: Symptoms, so it just worked the same basically. Yeah, hmm, dang. And I feel like she just has so much hope and that she hasn't lost it really at this point, you know, in a sense, she has just kind of been trying to get help.
Speaker 2: She is, but she doesn't know where to turn, whether it's medical or religious religion, I should say, but yeah, it's no one can help her at this point. They don't know what's going on. What the fuck? So yeah, m throughout nineteen seven, twenty five, Father Alt, there you go, Father Altsy, I told you, there you go, and Father Arnold Wrens visited Annalise basically mostly based mostly on Alt's ability to quote unquote detect demons. Fucking demon detecting motherfucker over here. The priest decided that she was indeed possessed, and Annalise was told to stop taking her medications on the priest's order. They were convinced that it was not a medical situation.
Speaker 1: Oh, but that medication was doing some things. By the sound it.
Speaker 2: Was, it was doing something, but it wasn't keeering, No, it was just holding back the seizures. That was about it hmm. So in May fifteenth, nineteen seventy five, her grandmother died and Annalise went into a sharper decline. She again began to develop an aversion for holy items. She found the prayers of her school friends to be unbearable. Even when the prayers were silent, she threw a rose and a bottle of holy water across the room and she could not bear to step into a church and she just stopped attending church altogether. M During this time with father Alt and Wrens. Father Alton, father Wrens, Analise is said to have this is where some of the weird shit starts going on, because she's now offer medications.
Speaker 1: Right, just starts were there.
Speaker 2: Well, she's off her medication and she's like deep into this and since her grandmother died, Yeah, she's going off the deeper end. And now also being told that it is possession by these priests. Annalise is said to have licked up her own urine off the floor, coal stripped, naked and eaten spiders and insects. She's began to avoid these religious items like crosses, holy water. She would hardly sleep, as she would stay up all night praying and refusing to eat, like just brutal shit. And among all these things, she began speaking in demonic voices.
Speaker 1: Okay, that sounds like a disaster age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could say that.
Speaker 1: Can imagine watching your kid?
Speaker 2: Can you imagine just like, hey, did you clean your room? You open the door and your kids sitting there naked eating spiders, talking and demon voices. Yeah, I'm gonna close that door.
Speaker 1: Okay, you can't close the door.
Speaker 2: Well, you're gonna just be like, are you okay? Little Timmy? Do you need a time out?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know. You gotta do something that's scary, shit though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why I'm closing the door.
Speaker 1: I would be scared, like scared shitless.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm closing the door.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, what you gotta ship help?
Speaker 2: Timmy's on his own, man, you gotta help. I'm sorry, I can't do it. No, okay. After months of pleading from her parents, the church finally agreed to perform an exorcism.
Speaker 1: Okay, the parents pleaded for this, Yes, okay, that's good to know.
Speaker 2: On Sunday, August third, nineteen seventy five, the first quote unquote test exorcism was performed allegedly with oral consent from Bishop Joseph Stengel Stungel Stungle. Don't these names are hard yo. The test exorcism was a shortened form of the Full Right and was mostly composed of prayers and blessings.
Speaker 1: Doesn't sound too bad.
Speaker 2: Then, Based solely again on Father Alt's reports from the Test Ritual, the bishop issued a written authorization for a full exorcism, so, with the express permission of the church, it was on September twenty fourth, nineteen seventy five, the first full exorcism was performed on Annalise Mitchell.
Speaker 1: Dun't dun't dum.
Speaker 2: So the priests decided that they would actually record their sessions with Annalise, which was done in the movie The Exorcist and very well could be evidence of being influenced from the movie. In total, there are forty two audio recordings that were made from the exorcisms, and over the next ten months from nineteen seventy five to nineteen seventy six, Analise would go through sixty seven exorcism sessions, one or two each week, lasting up to four hours long.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a bit excessive, like super excessive, and in the movie.
Speaker 2: They only say that she actually went through one. Now this is the Exorcisms, sixty seven of them.
Speaker 1: And it was like ten months spent.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: That's freaking nuts, I know.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to play a short audio clip here from some of those recordings. You're gonna be able to hear a priest and the quote unquote possessed Annalise talking. Now, remember this is in German, so you're not gonna be able to understand them. So for the context, the priest is reciting different prayers and demanding in the name of God that the demons give truth or responses and answer to who they are and why they're here, that sort of thing. What you will hear Annalise say first is there is no return for us, no in all ages. Then you'll hear the priest again, and then Annalise will respond again there is no return, No one will return from us.
Speaker 1: You ready, I think so?
Speaker 3: And wow, how's that for you?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know, because okay, I actually have I'm kind of a skeptic. I don't know if I like with the whole her being possessed thing. I have trouble believing that for some reason, like I just do that, and so then I'm like, Okay, it has to like some sort of medical thing like the But that's heavy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very heavy because it's just.
Speaker 1: Like any kind of medical illness or whatever that you could have like, oh, would it sound like that? You know?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean anyone like that that voice specifically that she's making, anyone can really make that voice like I can do it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, is a is.
Speaker 2: A mentally unstable person or that? And what would cause them to do that? Yeah, So there's a lot of questions surrounding that in what's going on, whether there's real possession, whether there's real mental illness, whether it's a combination of both.
Speaker 1: Well, I put through the ringer for sure she has. So I mean maybe this that a mental illness is really just digressed at that point. It's possible, I guess it is without getting the help.
Speaker 2: Well, especially considering you think that over the course of years you are being told or at least influenced by people on demons taking over you potential possessions, and if you are mentally ill to the point where you are susceptible to suggestion, you now could be literally thinking that your feelings are demons, and you don't have control over these feelings, and you are now manifesting these demons within you, and you are projecting your feelings in whatever voice is thinking it's demons.
Speaker 1: I guess, so, yeah, very much.
Speaker 2: So like someone with anger issues will lash out and anger and afterwards it's just like, you know, I'm so sorry. I don't know what came over me. Could be a very similar thing. I don't know. I'm not in that field to say that's the case, but I mean that makes sense to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: With that, though, we are going to end this episode here, we're going to start getting into a little bit more of the exorcisms and the case that follows.
Speaker 1: For any we haven't done a two parter for a while.
Speaker 2: It is, but I've put in pro a good ten hours of research on this and I'm not even done the exorcisms and into the actual case yet.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. Has been fun though, I bet it's kind of fun research ish. It's a lot like I know you've really been.
Speaker 2: Like, it's both it's fun, it's daunting, it's kind of fucking scary. I'm not gonna lie. I made sure that I might have had the lamp on a couple of times sitting next to me, or so I ever wanted.
Speaker 1: To scare the shit out of you, right now is maybe the best time.
Speaker 2: Good luck. Ah, I mean it's probably your best chance, but I mean one in a million is still not a very good shot.
Speaker 1: Dang, fine, I know, I don't think I've ever scared you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, if you guys want to listen and follow up on what happens to n Lease, we're going to drop that. Not tomorrow, but the next day. It'll be Thursday, perfect September. What what is that? September eighth. I don't know what's that.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what the date is today, dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'll be September eighth. So we're dropping in on September eighth, the second in part to Analyse. No, it won't be today's the sixth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we're dropping tomorrow ignore me, part two.
Speaker 2: Ignore me. Yeah, it'll be September ninth. You get to catch up on Analyse and what happens to her.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because this is a pretty wicked case. Well, actually, I think this is a pretty grim case, if I'm going to say so. Until then, though, make sure you guys stay wicked