Speaker 1: And yet I asked you, it's not an alien force already. Among my guest today is author, musician, artist, researcher and host of Strange Familiars Timothy Renner. Welcome and thanks for coming on.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before you came on, actually my power shut off just a real quick and it cut back on and the light started stroby like dark green.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's weird.
Speaker 1: That's I know it's and it's it's a dark green color that I don't have available because some of these lights have a remote and I've never been able to accomplished that shade of green. So I don't know what's going on. I don't know what's in store for us this evening.
Speaker 2: Well let's find out.
Speaker 1: And I should mention too, before I had a podcast, before I knew I was going to have a podcast, I came across your show and the coolest part of doing this is getting to talk to people who kind of had a hand in influence in me. So and your podcast one is one of the few shows that had that kind of had me aspiring to start my own.
Speaker 2: So that's thank you, that's that's a huge compliment. That's the way I started too. I had there's a few podcasts I listened to. Sasquatch Chronicles was one of them, Where Did the Road Go was another? And without those guys, you know, I wouldn't have done it either. So I love that. I think that was a huge compliment. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no problem. And you know, yeah, it sounds like we're in the same boat on a different timeline, because it is. It's just a few handful of these shows, these gems out there, because there's a thousands podcasts, right, but there's there was only a few of them that really called me to I guess to try this.
Speaker 2: Yeah what, Yeah, I love podcasting in general because I think it's in a way, in its ideal form. I think it's it's a wonderfully equal format.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Now, there are some celebrities that come in and they get a leg up because they're already popular. But for you know, the rest of us, you know, we're all we all kind of start at the same place. And uh, it's a great community. It's just a great community. Everyone I've met it has been wonderful. Like I haven't met like one podcast as a look, like I said, you're everybody I've met has been really nice and supportive, and it's just such a great community and I really enjoy it. I just I love everything about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Same here. I think from what I've gathered so far with people I've interacted within this community, they're all very very interesting and very intelligent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they don't have that. So I came from the music world and there was a not everybody, but you could definitely run into a lot of people with a real competitive streak.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It seemed like they were really trying to get like everybody's after the Golden Ring or whatever, and they weren't too worried about what you were doing if and might actively be kind of trying to push you out of the way. It's not that way in podcasting. It's not when like we're not fighting for the audience because people can listen to as many podcasts as they want. And it's just like I said, it's that supportive community that that I just find wonderful. Like, you know, we've guessed on each other's podcast. We help each other out, you know, we give each other clues like, hey, what equipment are you using? What does this? You know, people, it's just great, like it's just really supportive and wonderful.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely. I was in the music world for a while as well. I'm in Nashville actually that's where I live now, and I came out here. I was summoning out here by other musicians, So I know about that, the cutthroat antics in which you speak.
Speaker 2: What It can get pretty bad there, I imagine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you know, Pete, Yeah, yeah, it's it can be. It can be a lot of the people who who make it out here have had time to sort of mellow out on their journey, I think. But at the end of the day, there's still that that tendency to sort of get ahead of your neighbor if you will.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's just I don't know if it's baked into the music world or I don't know what it is about it, but yeah, it does exist there and not everybody, certainly not everybody, but you do, you do run into it a bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What attracted this is what I really want to know. What attracted you to the subject of the strange phenomena?
Speaker 2: Well, I always liked it, like even as a little little kid, I remember hearing about ghost stories, like and I grew up in a in rural Maryland on a farm, and every now and then I'd hear about a ghost story this place was haunted or a ghost was seen here, and I always wanted to go there. I would always bug my parents, like I want to go there. And I didn't know why, you know, I didn't even think as a kid, I thought i'd see a ghost. I just wanted to go to those places where this stuff happened. Later on I would have learned this is this is folklore, and I love folklore. But I was interested from that from that young age. And then once shows like In Search of came on and things like that, it just fired my imagination and and I really fell in love with the idea of Bigfoot. And it had a few experiences of my own as a kid, which I didn't really connect until I was like much later looking back, not Bigfoot experiences. I saw Ufo and and had some other strange things happened around around that stuff. But funny enough, even though I saw Ufo, I didn't I was still a Bigfoot kid. I just all I wanted was I'd read big Foot books and watch big Foot shows on TV all that stuff. But then you know, got us to a certain age, and I found girls in punk rock, and I forgot about all that stuff and went off and had adventures and music and et cetera. And then, you know, as an adult, started settling down again and started looking the stuff up and found that, you know, it didn't stop when I stopped, It kept going and there was a wonderful world full of this stuff. And I started exploring it again, and eventually, you know, I wrote my first book, which is about a local area here in York County, Pennsylvania called Toad Road, and I really dug in and that's when I found my love for research. I just really, like, like, you know, started going to the Historical Society, started really spent a lot of time with newspaper archives and things like that, and just fell in love with like just digging up this information. And then from there I started going on podcasts and then I was like, hey, I want to do a podcast. So it all kind of but it roots back to my earliest memories. I mean, I just always loved this stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you said, Maryland, I guess that's where it all started. And did you migrate the PA? And I was going to ask about PA because I love that state. You know, I've been going up my whole life to Pennsylvania. It's like a second home for me, and I was just curious, you know, how much of that state has a place in this story for you. Did you find a lot of weird when you got to p a.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I used to. When I started the podcast, I used to say, now, I could do the same thing anywhere. You know, it's just a matter of look in and you'll find the weird stuff. And I do that. That is true, probably to an extent. But also Pennsylvania has a whole lot of it. I'm lucky to live where I do and be interested in this stuff because there's just so much here. There's there is a lot in Pennsylvania. I don't know why, but there's there's a lot of it here. So it's a good place to live if you're interested in this stuff. There's you know, just you know, forty five minutes away is Gettysburg, which is a massive, you knows, ghost hunting place, and you know, obviously the history there I love too, but I mean it's infused with this this ghost hunting culture there. But you know, we have Michell Forrest. It's just a little bit beyond that, which is probably your top one or two places in Pennsylvania for bigfoot settings, and then all kinds of other stuff locally. It's just it's a wonderful place, like I don't have to go too far to get to some really interesting stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I feel that way as well about being in Tennessee. And I suppose I came from North Carolina to Nashville, and I suppose I could probably say the same about North Carolina, but I do. I have all these great memories of driving up to Pennsylvania from North Carolina, just my whole life because my mom's side of the family is from Butler. Okay, the Pittsburgh area, Yeah, familiar and yeah, and so you know, part of that trip was going through West Virginia, which is very much a high strange area of the country. I'd say that West Virginia is dense four tea in land.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I I love West Virginia too. I always say West Virginia just it's like Pennsylvania on steroids. You know, you get the rolling hills roll a bit more, the mountains are a bit higher, the greens a big greener.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love West Virginia. I spent a lot of time there learning culhammer banjo, and I fell in love with the state and the people. Just just wonderful place. If I didn't live in Pennsylvania, I don't know, be a close call between Western Massachusetts and West Virginia if I if I didn't live in Pennsylvania, I'd choose one of those two places.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've often thought about that too. I often think, what if I end up in West Virginia, And then I think, well, it wouldn't be that bad. It's it's kind of like an isolation this dream. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, that part of me that wants to live alone in a cabin looks at West Virginia. Oh, yes, that's right. It's pretty nice.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you know, just going up through you know, going up through flat woods going sometimes we would, I would go up through Point Pleasant, right, and and then but of course Pennsylvania, you know, I mean, it's right on the hills of West Virginia. For weird because in Butler, where my grandpa's from, they had that Butler Gargoyle.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yeah, And I.
Speaker 1: Always thought that that was such a strange, strange, cryptid and I often wondered if that speaking of point pleasant if that was not in some kind of a relation to Mothman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I wonder that too with a lot of these these sightings of these these wing things, because the descriptions of Mauthman, if you read like Mothman prophecies, a lot of the witnesses were kind of describing it was something with wings. But other than that, a lot of the descriptions were a little bit different. And you're like, were they seeing the same thing? You know? And that's so you wonder when you see these gargoyles and these some people call them these batsquatches, they call them. Yeah, it was like, are these are they related? Are they the same thing? I don't know, I don't know, but yeah, I thought about that too, as far as the gargoyle thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think too with some of the pa gargoyles. One of the characteristics that I remember seeing was that it dark figure in the road. Witness sees it jump and fly and spread its wings, but not flap its wings, right, And that was I think that that was a mothman characteristic.
Speaker 2: I believe you're correct. Yeah, yep, yeah, there's a Now this witness called it a mothman. That happened in New York County.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: I'm very close to that area Toad Road I was talking about, in fact, less than a quarter of a mile away from it, basically right there, but very similar thing. They said. It was this dark figure. It stood up. They pulled over the car to look at some deer and this thing stands up behind their car. They see this thing stand up and then the wings go out. It screamed, I think, they said, But it didn't flap its wings. It just just shot up.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, That's that's why I like this subject so much. It's those just those those I mean impossibilities, but yet lot oftentimes on the other side of that siding, you have a witness that's totally genuine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, that's I mean. When I started uncovering these, and I wasn't the first one to do this. When I say I'm covering, I mean, like for myself, I started uncovering these these wild man reports they called them from the eighteen hundreds of you know what I believe are Bigfoot. It certainly sounds like what they're describing. The thing that really hit home for me is these people are describing behaviors right so not only they describe something big and hearing, but they're describing the behaviors that people today are describing. And these are very obscure articles I'm finding that take me a long time to dig out of these old newspapers. These witnesses today that are like, let's say I hear them on Sasquatch chronicles for instance. They're not reading these old articles and going, oh, yeah, I'm going to talk about this this and the you know, they're talking about what they saw, and so are these people in these old newspaper articles, and they're describing some very specific things, things like recognizing the gun, like they seem to recognize a gun when they put out things like there they're problems or or anger or I don't know how to put it there. They don't like dogs, right, so they're they're aggressive towards dogs, climbing on roofs. I mean, that's a very very weird thing. That's a very strange thing. And when I hear that, I'm like, okay, okay. And people today are reporting it too, you know, slapping the side of their house, tapping on windows, all these things, and it's like, well, these it's the same behavior. These people are describing over the course of hundreds of years, you know, And I'm like I said, I'm sure these modern witnesses weren't finding these articles and then and then saying, oh, I'm going to make up a story based on these old articles. It's just, you know, it's not possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. And I was telling you before a little bit, I haven't done a proper Bigfoot show yet, and I've been wanting to do that, and I haven't been able to decide if I wanted to start with wild man or with Bigfoot. But at the same time, at the end of the day, sometimes that's the same thing. But I'm glad you brought up the eighteen hundreds because I think that's a really cool place to start with. This subject is going back to some of those older articles when they were called often they were referred to as wild men.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, well the wild man really starts in the Middle Ages, okay, And they would have caught it back then on up to the eighteen hundreds, about the time the West becomes aware of the Mountain Gorilla in Africa. I won't say discovered, because the African people knew it was there already, But when the West becomes aware of the mountain gorilla. Then you start seeing the very late eighteen hundreds, like eighteen ninety, really more around nineteen hundred nineteen ten, you start seeing them called gorillas. At that point they'll say, you know, there was a gorilla, A big gorilla was seen, you know, outside of town. So it's interesting how they changed. Once the monster movies come in in the twenties and thirties, well then they turn into monsters for a while. The newspaper reports are like, you know, monster scene, they pay big hairy monster scene, and then you know bigfoot sasquatch. All that takes over starting in the fifty sixty seventies. So it's interesting the way the sort of naming goes. And when I mentioned gorilla is by the way, a lot of people say, well, they were escape circus animals. Gorillas were extremely expensive back then, about the equivalent of two million dollars today. Not everyone had it. Not every circus had one. Very few zoos had them. We knew exactly how many girulas they had in the United States at any one time back then. I believe the New York Zoo had one, and Barnum had one. That might be it. There might have been one other one out there that I'm forgetting about. They're very difficult to take it. They didn't know how to take care of them back then, so they died pretty easily. So the idea that people say, oh, it's just an escape circus animal, when the people are talking about seeing gorillas, you know, now we knew where the gorillas were and they were accounted for, so it just a gorilla does not explain, you know, what these people are seeing. They were just using that word. You know, first they saw big everything in the woods, they called it a gorilla.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that that sometimes tends to be this urban legend that has a tendency to like perpetuate itself, where it's like, you know, just about every small town has that same story and that same excuse that something weird happened, and oh, it was just the train that crashed, the circus train. Oh yeah, it's in every time.
Speaker 2: I happen to be lucky in that department. My wife is a circus historian, and she knows, like, if someone claims there was a circus train crash, she can figure out if where the circus train crashes were. They always made the newspaper. It was a big news. There were a few nowhere near as many as people claim. But I can always check with her and just say, hey, was there a circus train crash in this state around this time, and she can look it up for me, and by far the answer has been no. You know, I can't think of one time where it's corresponded with one of these stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One of the first episodes I heard of yours was the I think it was called the Witch Digger.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and the.
Speaker 1: I bring it up because I think it's a good example of this dichotomy between wild man and Bigfoot and how blurry that can be, because this this episode deals with a creature that kind of rides the line between Bigfoot and wild man. If I'm remembering that correctly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that story in particular has become in many ways the defining story of strange familiars. I'm not sure how recently, I don't know. So we did it episode four, so that early in the show was the first time we did the Witch Diggers. We came back to it last year because some witnesses who lived who currently live on that same property contacted me and said they were still having activity today. They invited us out. We went to that property, we stayed there. We had some incredible things happened to us, not all of which I'm ready to talk about, but some Bigfoot related things, some things related to anomal flights in the sky, and some other very very strange things that were very Mothman prophecies esque. And I don't mean we saw Mothman. I just mean the other kind of high strangeness that surrounded that phenomena. We are we're currently working on. This will be a Strange familiar's life. We're going to tell the entire Witch Digger story live, the history of it, modern witness interviews, and then our experiences when we went to Indiana and did that. So that story has become incredibly important to Strange familiars and to me personally. That journey to Indiana changed my life in a major way.
Speaker 1: I didn't know this, by the way, this is news to me. I just remember that episode because I went back and started from when I found your podcast. I went back and started, I guess from the beginning, and I just remember that. Man. That's so feel free to talk about that as much as you feel like you hand I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the Witch Diggers. It's an article I found. I'm doing these newspaper searches for these wild men, and I came up with this article, and I didn't know what I was going to do with it, because before I had a podcast. I found it and I knew I was going to collect the Pennsylvania stories, but I wasn't sure I was going to keep going. I think now I'm eventually I'm gonna do the whole country, hopefully, hopefully I live that long. But I put it aside and I put in a folder on my desktop, like this is a really interesting story. And then when I started the podcast, the first three episodes were based on my first book. So really the the first original content I made for the podcast was The Witch Diggers, and it was based on that story. So it's this, this family moves from Ohio to Indiana. They buy property in this area and there they're a Swiss family. They they're having a hard time there for various reasons, farming and so forth. But they're they're living, they're doing okay. But one day one of the family members shows up at a neighbor and starts talking about witches. And it was so is a one brother named Nick, one brother named Sammy, and their sister named Susan. And Nick was kind of the caretaker of these two. The rest that they had a very large family, but their parents died, two brothers were killed in the Civil War, and a couple other their other brothers died I believe in Europe before they ever got to America. So it's just Nick, Susan, and Sammy left. And Nick's actually younger than those two, but he comes back from the Civil Wars and starts taking care of them. So they moved to this farm in Indiana, and like I said, they start talking about witches, and the neighbors are like, what's going on there? And Sammy, the younger brother, he starts talking about he's afraid to be in the house alone, and he just wanders the neighborhood all day long. They said he was a little he was probably, you know, mentally handcapped, handicapped in some way. They in the in the census records, they list him is not a nice word, but this is this is how we find this family. In the census records, they list him as an idiot, So we know it's it's that family. We can find them pretty easily by their names. And then and then when Samy is listed as as such, but he starts talking about what he called monkeys with human heads that climb through the window and scared him so bad that he did he didn't even want to talk about it. And they're also talking about seeing witches and so forth. The family seems to go crazy together, all three of them, and they start digging this ditch h and at anytime they come upon something like a frog or a worm, anything alive, they kill it and they say it was a witch, and they drive a stick in the ground. So they're obviously like they're kind of losing it. And the question is did this paranormal activity kind of drive them to that that make them, you know, put them in this paranoid state, or is there something else going on. Eventually the people come and they take them to the Olms house. But then later people coming through this area start seeing this Harry wildman and he's carrying an axe, so it's this weird thing and they think, oh, it must be Nick because he escapes from the asylum at some point, and they said it must be him, it must be Nick. He come back to the neighborhood. But what they're describing doesn't look it's not a man. They're describing a big hairy thing that runs on all fours, but it's carrying an axe. It's a really really interesting thing. I love the article and I always wanted to do something more with it. And last summer I was talking to my friend John, who would he would end up going to Indiana with me. I said, John, I want to do something more with the witch Diggers, and I don't know what it is. I said, maybe we should just go to Indiana and drive around and see if we could find this place. I didn't. I didn't know, like, you know, the chances of that would be slim, but I thought maybe we could try. And about a week later, I got an email with the subject witch Diggers and I opened it up and it said I live on that property and I'm still having activity today. Please contact me. I was like, this is a week after I said this to John. So I sent an email right away, and I don't hear anything back for two weeks, Like what is happening? Like why won't this person contact me? They seemed like so eager to talk to me, So I went in in our discord for Strength Familiars. We have this intention and prayer channel and usually people use it for like, hey, my mom's sick, can you pray for you know, you know, my my neighbor's not feeling well, things like that. And I went in there and I said, look, this is this isn't important as far it like nobody's health was involved or anything like that. But here's what I'd like. I said, I'd like these people to contact me. Number one. Number two, I'd like them to tell me their story. Number three, I'd like them to come on Strange Familiars and tell their story. And number four, the big ass is, I'd like them to give me access to this property. Two weeks, within two weeks of me putting that on discord, I get another email from a different email address that says which diggers as a subject line says, hey, we live across from this property and we're still having activity today. So this is yet another person. They gave their phone number. I called them right away. They told me the stories they came on Strange Familiars. I said, hey, can we come out there? They said, You're welcome to come out here. I got everything I asked for. Like to the letter everything I asked for, which blew me away. Right, So we made plans to go out there. I think this was in the fall. We made plans to go out in the spring. We went out in March. And now they were these witnesses. There's about five families live back in this hollow. This is in southern Indiana, near this property, all of them. I think maybe we know about three of these families. Talk to us, and we're going back and we'll be able to talk to another one. I think in the fall they all had activity. They all had stories, multiple stories, and the one that really blew me away and the reason the witness contacted me. They didn't know anything about this witch Diggers article. They had a cemetery on their property, and they sent away to the local historical society for information on that, and they sent them information on that cemetery. But they said, oh, this is in your area too, and they sent them part of the witch diggers article, not the full article, just like a little part of it. They type in witch diggers on the internet. They get interested in upcomes strange familiars. They listened to strange familiars and the witness said she listened to it, and then when her husband got home from work, she made him sit down and said, now, listen to this podcast the whole thing. Listen to it. And this is why they had had bigfoot activity. But they did not know anything about this Witch Digger's article. They were seeing she had seen bigfoot. They had some workers come to work on some power lines nearby. They had seen bigfoot. They were terrified by what they saw, and their neighbors were experiencing weird stuff. But the thing that got them they had an eighty year old neighbor and they originally thought he was seen now when he said this. He called his son one night and he said, come out here. I need your help. It's like late at night. I think he left a message. He didn't explain what he needed. And they go out to his house, which again is right across from this property. All the lights are on, all the doors are open. He's nowhere to be found, and they're looking around for him, and they finally they call his cell phone. They could hear it ringing in the distance. They go and they find him under a piece of farm equipment hiding and they asked him what happened, and he said monkeys with human heads climbed through my windows. Same thing that the kid without any knowledge of this article from the eighteen hundreds, same thing, and that's what gave them chills and made them contact us. And when she told me that, obviously I got chills too and I have to go. I have to go. So we went out there. Like I said, we've had We did not see any creatures, but we had bigfoot like activity. I don't want to say too much because, like I said, this is going to be we're going to do strange familiars live. We're going to tour the country and we're going to tell the full story of all this. But we saw anomalos lights in the sky more than once. And next time we go out, I believe. So the house where that the elderly man lived, he he has since passed away, and that house sits empty. The family doesn't doesn't want to do anything with it. They said, next time we go out, we can stay in that house. So I will. I will get to stay in the house where the quote unquote monkeys with human heads climbed through the window. So I'm quite excited about that. Since we've been there, there's been three toed tracks found in along a pond, and the main witnesses that we talked to they rent a cabin to other people, and these people at this cabins had not talked to them about bigfoot, but finally when they had this footprint appeared in this pond, they opened up about it. And they said, since I think for two years, they said, every night they've been getting activity. They so they get their house slapped. Things you know, comes through the woods. They can hear holan on the ridge, et cetera, et cetera. So there's more for us to explore. And uh yeah, we'll be going out there again in the fall. I'm super excited. But it's just been this amazing thing, Like I said, life changing, has just been fantastic for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The three toed tracks are these big, big tracks. Okay, yeah, okay, so this you know, of course I'm speaking in the realm of speculation here, but it could be is it big enough to belong to us asquatch?
Speaker 2: They look at okay, look at yes, and three toed tracks are are a thing.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: They're a very difficult thing for people who are married to the the idea of a flesh and blood Bigfoot being out there, which I'm not. In fact, the longer I go on with this, the more I think that's very unlikely, if not impossible. Three toed tracks are a big problem because the mammals you know, or rather primates, have five toes, and they don't look like syndactily, which is like toes fords together. They don't look like that all. They look like big bird feet, you know, very separate toes and a lot of flesh and white. People say, well, that's inbreeding. Well, if you look up how inbreeding works, that you tend to get more toes, not fewer with inbreeding. So it's they're just weird. They're just weird tracks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And by the way, I'm not in any of these clubs or groups. I wanted to make sure that I had a show that didn't hinge on Bigfoot before I started talking about Bigfoot. Because I'm not in the Bigfoot world, nor am I in the UFO world. I reserve my right to think that a lot of weird happenings might actually be connected.
Speaker 2: Sure, No, I mean it's hard. The longer I'm in it, though, it's harder for me to disconnect them from each other. There's so much this stuff happens together. Yeah, it's it certainly seems connected.
Speaker 1: Let's say that it seems connected. That's that's the quote right there, that's the quote of the century. It does seem connected. I can totally relate with that. I mean, UFO is Bigfoot, paranormal fairy lore. And then you know, in the case of this great story that you've found yourself in, you've got all this synchro mysticism going on. Oh yeah, and yeah, that's a phenomena that I've experienced a lot more in recent years. But I've realized that the synchro mysticism is almost like its own type of this. I don't know, like it's its own a tentacle of this phenomenon or it's its own entity altogether. But somehow it's all all intertwined. And it's like, you know, it's just like you with this Witch Diggers episode. I mean, it's interwoven in your podcast journey, yeah, and now and now it's I don't know, it's interwoven with with the big Bigfoot and everything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And so I went out there with my friend John, who I have known for many, many many years since I think probably since he was a teenager. I might have been twenty when I met him. He's a little bit younger than me, so I've known him for a long long time. He went with me, And if you're familiar with The Hell your series, Tyler Strand from that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely that's what I thought of you once or twice when you told me your story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Tyler went with me too, and the three of us have become because of this incredibly close. It's again, I think this is part of the journey. You know, we've become like very close and very like more than just more than just partners in the paranormal or whatever you might say. It's it's been really incredible and it changed. I mean the three of us when we came back, we spent a week, each of us in separate places, like very depressed and almost sick. It's very strange like like this, but the whole thing is just it's just brought us closer together. It's just been amazing in a very spiritual way. Like John again, I've known John forever and I've seen this change in John, this incredible change in John where he's just in this new sort of like it like activated this spiritual side of him that's just been incredible to see. And it, like, like I said, it changed this. I think the paranormal can do this. Sometimes it could change people for the worst, I know, but in this case, I think it just brought the three of us very close together and it feels quite amazing, and it feels like like we're supposed to be doing this like this, this is like something that we're meant to be doing. I think. I don't mean to speak for him, but I think the other two guys feel the same. So yeah, I mean that's part of it too, Like this idea of like this, I guess, like kind of going on this quest, right, the three of us go on this quest and we end up, you know, kind of closer at the end of it. We all end up I think change. And I don't mean like, you know, I'm going to leave my wife or anything like that, like not that kind of change, but just your perspective on the phenomena is changed, I think, and certainly likewise, maybe your perspective on life, you know, because this is I believe this is about this is a human experience thing and we've been experiencing it forever that's why we have folklore that talks about very similar things going back in time. So this is part of of what happens when we're here. You know. Maybe I don't know if it's why we're here, but it's it's certainly something that happens and has been happening to people over time. So it just feels that like like this is my journey, you know, And a few times in my life I felt like, yeah, this is where I'm supposed to be, and this is one of them. For sure.
Speaker 1: It's remarkable and it's remarkable how many doors had to open up to get you to where you're at with this. And also I know you probably can't talk too much about the details of where this is, which I won't ask, but it does seem like this is intriguing to me. It seems like there's almost like a community of people there at this in this region who are all experiencing this.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, no, absolutely. They all talked to us, They all gave us interviews. Some of them have positions in county government. They have everything to lose, you know, by talking to us, and they were like, no, I want to tell my story. They told us everything and I tell you one of the things we saw in the sky. I've said it elsewhere, I might as well say it here too. We saw a massive fireball. It manifested out of nothing into the sky and moved in a very ghost like fashion. It descended below the tree line, and when it went out of sight, beams of light shot up into the sky, like several beams of light like. And then we were walking towards where we saw it go behind the tree line. It popped up on the other side, just a little bit above the trees again, just enough to let us know, like, yep, you saw me. That was it. I was here. And it drops down again and again with the beams of light. Once it drops down. One of the witnesses when we described this, his eyes got real big because they were telling us their stories. And then like, oh, you know what we saw the other night, because we saw that the first night, not the first night we arrived. We got there late, we went right to sleep, but the first night we were like out in the field when we were there, that's when we saw this fireball, and we said, you know, he tells his stories. And then we said, well, you know what we saw the other night. And his eyes get big. I could tell, and he said, he said, you know, I haven't thought about this. He said, I saw the exact same thing in the exact same place in nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Like it.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So one of the big things I'm left with, like just taking this fireball for instance, were we there? Did we walk into that field? Was about I think it was ten It was either ten twenty or ten forty five after ten o'clock at night. And when I say this thing was huge, I mean we're guessing at least twenty five feet across, probably closer to forty feet across. It was massive fireball in the sky. Looked like the sun at sunset, but it was kind of moving around. It wasn't the sun, It wasn't fireworks, it wasn't swamp gas. You know, it was a fireball. That's the only thing. But one of the things that it's I want to say it bothers me, but not in the way it's like scary or upsetting, but it's just kind of like I can't figure it out, is did we happen to walk into that field and one in a two milli chance or whatever it would be in time to see that fireball? Yeah? Or did it appear for us for some reason? And it's so why, you know, And that's that's the thing that kind of haunts me about it. And again not in a bad way, but it's just this question I have, like, like, why did we see that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I'm sitting here, I'm debating. I'm just going to tell you the story. It's a real quick one, but I've told it before on here, and you know, I just I just don't want to overtell it. But it's so applicable. So when I first started the podcast, I'm sorry, let me back up. Before I started this podcast, I was talking about it with a close friend of mine in North Carolina and we we were on the phone and we were, you know, we were talking shop about getting this thing together, and he had a a weird moment in the middle of a conversation where he goes, hold on and he says, I just saw these I think seven lights appear in a row and then disappear, and then an explosion happened at a neighbor's house. He goes, he goes, I gotta go. I'll call you right back. So as I'm waiting to get back on the phone with him. I was in my living room and I stepped outside. And I stepped outside. I hadn't been out there for I haven't. I hadn't been out there for a minute yet. And I looked up and I saw an orb fly an arc right right in my field of vision, and it was, I don't know, two hundred yards away, maybe very close. And it came from within the atmosphere, and it went up and it arcd and it went over a tree line across the street, and it went down behind a tree line close to where there's another neighborhood street over there. And here's the thing. It blinked at me three times as if to say, like you said, just making sure you saw this, just making sure you see me. And it was so intentional. And of course I'm getting back on the phone with my friend at this point, and I'm like, you're not going to believe this. So he has a UFO siding in North Carolina. Moments later, I have a UFO siding for lack of a better word, in Tennessee. We're talking about doing this podcast about the supernatural, and it's like, at what point, at what point is any of that coincidence.
Speaker 2: Exactly to anybody who would say it was, I would say, how rare would it be for somebody to see that? Incredibly rare? Yeah, and then to have two people see that who were just talking on the phone with each other, not the same thing, but you know, SIMP, you know, light anomalies in the sky, whatever you want to.
Speaker 3: Call him.
Speaker 2: In that short of you know, expense of time and then talking about this stuff. No, that's I mean, in my mind, they have to be related somehow, like there's something happening there. That was that was the other, Like I don't know what all this stuff is. I just kind of generically call it the other. That was the other saying I see.
Speaker 1: You yeah, And I always forget this part. It was a very clean white light. It was so clean, appears almost an unnatural light. It didn't look like a flashlight or like a drone or it definitely didn't look like a plane. And it was just you know, I always forget that part, so I'm throwing that in. It was just quaint, this clean white orb just so entity like the whole thing. But back to that fireball that was my grandpa's UFO siding.
Speaker 2: Oh really, and.
Speaker 1: I'd heard it many times over the years. He would tell it at family gatherings and all the It was great because all the disbelievers in the room would roll their eyes, Oh this again, you know. But I always believed him, and I pressed him on it because I was trying to get more information out about this. And it wasn't a cigar, it wasn't something metallic. It wasn't, you know, a classic saucer. It was he saw a fireball. And that's what I meant, Grandpa, what do you mean he goes a fireball like it was literally like a ball of fire that moved over the horizon.
Speaker 2: So I've been going back and looking in Indiana around the time of the original Witchdiggers, so the eighteen eighties. The article appeared in the nineties, but it actually happened in the late eighteen eighties. And I found this article from Indiana from eighteen eighty eight, and it says, while globular lightning maybe more common than is generally supposed, it remains for a gentleman connected with the news and adviser to have seen still a more singular sight. It was nothing more or less than a phosphorescent fire or will of the wisp which emerging from the banks of the Flint River during the recent overflow, in the shape of a ball of fire across and above the tree tops. This ghastly fireball made its appearance just as the corpse of an unknown man was seen drifting down the swollen current of the river, his face, calm after the agony of death, upturned to the pitiless sky. So the dead guy is a you know, we certainly didn't see a dead guy. This was by a large creek. Some people call it a river where was But when they describe it as this ghastly fireball, that's what I mean. The first thing Tyler said is like he said, that thing's a ghost, you know, by which he meant I believe it had been the nature of a you know, it did move in a very ghostly way. You know, it kind of did this fish hook motion down and blow the chin. But it moved very ghostly like that. So when they say this ghastly fireball in that article, first of all, there we go. You know, they're talking about a fireball in the sky in Indiana around the same time as the witch Digger. Is very interesting to me. But the way they describe it though, I was like, wow that, you know, I don't know that they saw the same thing, but it certainly sounds very similar to what we saw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, while you were talking there, I was looking and I'm not going to be able to find it right now in time, But this year I was able to file on Newfork and I found a siding from I believe Wyoming, very cool account close to one of the cities out there, and they included a picture. And when I saw the picture, I thought, that's exactly what my grandpa saw or close to it, because it's you know, we're talking about a fireball here, and I'm very excited actually to see what you do with this.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 1: I noticed you said you're going to do Strange Familiars Live, and I don't know. Do you have you considered doing documentary or video footage of this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a possibility. We need to talk to the witnesses and see how comfortable they are with that. We're very guarded of this because these people were about the nicest people I've ever met in my life. And I mean that that whole neighborhood just embraced us and gave us access to all their property, night and day. Just completely gave us access. The main witness gave us a four wheel drive just to drive around, you know while we're there, like a for erunners. Great little little four wheel drive yet an old four runner is fantastic and just to you know, hit the trails if we wanted, and just drive us around night and day again, night and day. Just the nicest people I've ever met in my life. The last thing I want to do is bring down a paranormal circus around their heads, you know, and have a bunch of people running on their property and stuff.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: So we're very careful and we're very protective of them because of this. So yeah, I'm I mister. Oh yeah, So that's why we're we're presenting in the way we are as a live show, and you know, we just that's the way it's going to be. Well, eventually I'll write a book, but for now we're going to keep it as the live show. So people want to hear this where he comes to his live there's a lot more to it, so much more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great. I mean, you know, that's how stories were told for all time as far as I know, before before this these TVs and stuff, started to become a thing in modern society. It's like you had the campfire tales, you had the oral tradition. You have this very old and and and intricate type of of oral tradition, basically folklore. That's a part of humanity. I mean that. So when I say, whenever I hear you say, you know we're going to do it like this, well you're still getting the story out there, and the story can still be great even if it's just being told. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the documentary. The documentary was the question. Yes, yes, we made at some point look to do that. I'm not I just I'm not a video guy. I don't know that much about it, so it require people other than me to help us with that. But there will be audio visual elements to the live presentation. So there will be like video clips and stuff we will present.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, you brought up a article there from eighteen eighties a second ago. I believe it was eighteen eighty six or something like that.
Speaker 2: Eighteen eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, eighty eight. I've got one here from eighteen seventy seven, and it's a short one, so I'll just read it. A party of gold miners traveling through the Globe Valley in Caldwell County, North Carolina, encountered what they described as a wild man, although they only got within forty yards of the man. One miner claimed that this peculiar specimen of humanity appeared to be a giant six foot five inches with a funnel shaped head and two inch long dark hair covering his body. When he spotted the miners, he pounded his chest before turning and bounding off into the woods with the speed of a deer. The party tracked him with guns. The party tracked him with guns, drawn to a cave deep in the mountains, where they found bones of many animals scattered about, including that he had been living oh indicating that he had been living there for a while. And I just I like that one because it's from North Carolina. I'm from North Carolina, you know, Yeah, you've probably heard that one.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Like I've collected so many of these reports. And I did a book for Pennsylvania, I did a book for the west coast California, Oregon, and Washington State, and I'm about ready to do one for the east coast, so North Carolina will be in that. I don't know if I have that one or not. I'll have to look back in my files. It's been been a while since I I've been writing other books and stuff. But it's so typical of these other wild Man stories, you know. I immediately when you said that was eighteen.
Speaker 1: Seventy eighteen seventy seven, seventy.
Speaker 2: Seven, I wonder, like, did they even know about apes beeding in their chest at that point?
Speaker 1: It's a good question.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's an interesting detail that the wild Man did there. The cave is a very important detail. You hear that a lot there is something about caves, about underground things. I will say Indiana that that whole area is filled with caves. There's caves underneath the entire area where we were tons of caves around there, but no a lot of these, a lot of anomalous activity. In general, you will find caves, minds, some form of people digging into the ground. And I started picking up on this and it's been pretty consistent. Every time I find one of these, you know, quote unquote haunted areas or areas that are associated with Bigfoot, there seems to be cave mine or an instance of people doing like some kind of major digging into the ground. Look at the witch diggers. They were digging in the ground, digging in the ground. Not only were the caves there, but they were digging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the premise of hailure of course, just because that, you know, when you said three toad track, I thought of hailure originally. But that's that's to do with caves. I mean, I'm doing I'm doing another episode on giants, but I just also just finished an episode on giants. And what's interesting there is it's the same it's these same states. It's these states that have all like Kentucky and Tennessee and Indiana, the states that have the caves in the west Virginia, Ohio and then you know the lower part of Pa where all these giants are are found, all the well they were found, all the bones in the burial mounds, the Ohio River Valley. And you know, I'm trying to find different terminology, but what keeps coming to mind is like Middle Earth, Lord of the Rings. But it's like this area of the country was just and still is like abundantly humanoid.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean whatever, And I forget the name of that culture that they think, you know, like basically pre American Indian. They left a lot of structures around. A lot of these these stone structures up in New England, and there's a local park here. It's in a place called hex Hollow, where there's something called the quote unquote Hex's murder happened. Uh, it was a faith year. There's a faith healing practice in Pennsylvania, the shorthand Powell. The German name is Brokrye, and it's it's simply a Christian folk magic tradition, mostly faith healing kind of stuff, but part of it is to undo hexes, right, so if someone felt they were cursed or hext and always with the idea that the people can undo, can unmake hexes, can also make hexes. So there's a lot of superstition around these Powwow doctors as they were called. This one fellow, these people believed he put a curse on them. They murdered him. It's a long story. He was completely innocent. I feel awful for him, but in any case, the area became known as hex hollowed. In that area, I have found a series of intersecting walls, so out this park and the local sort of wisdom is, oh, there's just farm walls, Well, they don't correspond to any farms that were ever on the map down there, you know, going through the old historical maps, and they're not built. Now there are the confused matters. There are a couple firmly like Western walls that are that are down there, But these intersecting walls throughout the park are not built like like Westerns built walls. They're built like these early Americans, you know, these pre Native American civilizations built walls. The intersect they have offering niches in them, which is where they would have put corn or something. And these niches line up with the sun on solstices and equinoxes. So I believe, yes, I have found something. Now the State Museum of Pennsylvania has is not yet convinced, but I cannot see what else it would be. There are there are serpent walls, you know, they wind, These walls wind and they end in what look like big snakeheads, m h all kinds of these earthworks. And if you know I grew up on a farm, you don't. You don't build a wall just to build a freaking wall, you know. And these low walls aren't keeping livestock in or out right. Yeah, they could be property markers. But come on, that's a lot of calories. That's a lot of calories. You know what we did when we come upon rock, We taking me throw them out of the field. We're gonna build a wall with them, right, you know why waste the calories, Get moving, get back to farming. I'm just not convinced these these are anything. But these this pre like I said, this pre Native American society. And I'm sorry, I keep I keep blanking on the name that they called it. But yeah, these build our culture. Perhaps, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Are you are you? I know what you're referring to, But are you thinking about the mound boat the mound class?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there's another there's a sort of more official name for it. I'm reaching for, but I probably won't be able to think of it. But no, I think these are the same like the same thing. You know, the giant skeletons are related to this, These earthworks are related to this. These mounds, like you were saying, are related to this. And I think there's more of them out there than people know or realize. And I think I think, sure, you walk through the woods, you see a wall it's an old farm wall. But it's just when you, like I said, when they start intersecting, they go north and south like on the compass perfectly. You know, the intersections are places which seem to correspond with with different things. So my goal is at some point to get maybe get this recognized as a as a you know, place of history, and it is a it's a county park, but you can't rely on the county. They will sell off parkland. If it becomes like a National Place of you know, historical marker or something like that, then it can be preserved. So that's that's my hope one day to convince somebody else of what I'm seeing here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're on the same page there, and I keep coming across the same sort of thing here. And because I know recently I was talking to a fella and we were talking about there's a there's a similar old wall in Louisville and it's it's an old ancient wall, we think, and you know, it's there's there's an old ideology in some of the archaeologists. They don't want to you know, they don't want to look into it. They wanted to fit into this box. But it seems like it's older. But I keep seeing this, and you know, I was just recently looking at the so I think that some of these are old cities, remnants of old cities from a race who was here before the Native Americans and and eventually probably coexisting with them. And that's why I think that wall in Louisville is where it's at, because it's on the Ohio River. I think they were using that they were traveling that river U and then But I just found a similar thing in Chicago where because you said altars and it and it came to mind, there was an old stone there called the Wabazi Stone. It's in a private collection today, giant I think it's granite standing stone, has a face carved in it, and at the very top of it is one of these altars carved into it. I think you said niche altar or something.
Speaker 2: They're offering niches there. They're like, there's spaces in the wall, you know, put usually like corn, I guess or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's got that. And this was in Chicago for forever. It was there before I think before the city was Chicago, and it was right at the mouth of one of the rivers there and the Lake Mission, and it looks like it was a place where the ancient people's do you know about the copper mines. Yeah, yeah, they were mining all that copper on Lake Michigan, and they were headed to wherever they were headed, and they were on their way to the to the Mississippi. And they're going through one of these rivers in Chicago and they stop and they do their offering for well well being, for you know, safe passage. And I also have an old, an old map I've been studying. It's the tear Australis map and it's got it's from fifteen seventy something and right above Chicago it's got or right where Chicago is today, it's got on that map listed Chilago. So you know, it's just it's it just got me thinking. I'm like, well, I think maybe when the ancient people were minding that copper and they were they were doing their altars, you know, in the area that Chicago is today, it must have been a port city possibly called Chilaga.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, yeah, you know, I know that's.
Speaker 1: A lot to connect. There a lot of dots, but no.
Speaker 2: I mean, I I think there's this this again, this pre Native American civilization. They seem to have been at least east of the Mississippi almost everywhere, Like it must have been a massive society, you know, and and I can absolutely believe they would have networks of you know, using the rivers and so forth.
Speaker 1: You said something about Powwell, have you ever seen this book here?
Speaker 2: Uh, I'm very familiar with that book.
Speaker 1: Yes, you would be the first person I've talked to who knows what this is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that has to do with the with that folk magic tradition in Pennsylvania. I find that I love that book, I really do. It's on a skeptical I can read that and dismiss it as you know, ridiculous, But there's there's more to it. I'm incredibly sure of that. My experience with that books has been has told me that there's something there.
Speaker 1: I think it's from the early eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Homan was a Catholic who moved to Berks County, Pennsylvania in the early eighteen hundreds. And he was a fairly prolific writer and publisher, and he did, you know, several but he collected those charms and published it Now this is a folk magic tradition. It belongs to the people. So I think he did a good thing by doing that. But there are people who today want to gate keep this tradition and who are very mad at him and others who write books about it. They're giving away our secrets. Now, these are everyone's secrets. These belong to the people. So I think he did a good thing by writing it down. And this is this book was fairly ubiquitous throughout the Pennsylvania Dutch region. Most people who have family here for a long time, they have a copy that maybe that was their grandmother's or something. I collect copies of that. I have copies going back to the I think eighteen sixties, maybe earlier than that I found.
Speaker 1: Do they line up pretty well? Are they? Is it the same content?
Speaker 2: It's the same content. Yeah, So this book is one of the few that's been in print since the day it was first in print. It's yeah, it's never been out of print, you know, various publishers. Now it's in public domain, so anybody can publish it. But still it's never been out of print. But these yeah, the original content is the same as as what you have there in that reprint. But the interesting thing is in these old copies they were these were user copies. So you get in pencil, often on pages extra charms that people have collected from people in their neighborhood, or names of other what we call palaut doctors or brawlkers they will have written down. And so these books are incredibly valuable. Like a researcher like me, yeah, they're expensive, but when I find them, I you know, if they're not crazy, I will get them because because of that, those extra bits that are in there are just just wonderful, wonderful stuff, you know.
Speaker 1: Just to give people an example of what we're talking about, here, there's a little, a little taste here on the back it says this book shares secrets for curing his stick. It's kind of a light type. Here, let me try the skin, curing hysteroetics or hysteria, I'm assuming, protecting oneself against slander, attaching a dog to a person, making a wand for searching for iron or water, so divining there, preventing malicious persons from doing injury, curing the pole, evil and horses, mending broken glass, making cattle or turn home, destroying rats and mice, making a candlewick that is never consumed, charming guns and other arms, and much more.
Speaker 2: The hex murder I was mentioning before the fellows that believed they were cursed, they were told by a woman they had to get either a lot of this guy's hair or his copy of the Longlost Friend and bury it six feet underground. So that's that's how embedded that is, uh in the in the culture here, and you do find it. So some of the Pennsylvania Germans did move into Appalachia, so you will find pockets of it in Appalachia as well. Appalachia it's changed. When I was learning BESI in West Virginia, I had some banjo teacher from West Virginia tell me, if I hear you say Appalachia, I'm kicking you out this class. Now everyone says, no, no, it's Appalachia. So yeah, trying to stick with it. But that's why I say Appalachia because someone from the region told me I better not say it any other way, and that got in mine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I lived, I lived in the region. I'm for a long time in some of my formative years, and I'll you could say it however you.
Speaker 2: Want, Okay, Yeah, so any young.
Speaker 1: Appalachians or Appalachians, we don't care what you say.
Speaker 2: In any case, you do find pockets of it through out there, so which is really interesting. So because it gets in sort of mixed in with what they call granny magic. Yea granny magic, that the folk magic traditions there. I you know, I just I find it incredibly fascinating that the journeys these things to take and then they get combined. And I'm good friends with a friar from Ireland and he was looking at the Long and Lost Friend. He's like, oh, this is very similar to some of the same traditions in Ireland, you know.
Speaker 1: So it's this sort of it's that oral tradition we were talking about. It's that antricate method for passing down information. Yeah, this book is incredible. I mean it's this is one of my favorite parts. This is what really got me, Like I paused after I read this. When I first got this book, it's this little part on here that says, whoever carries this book with him is safe from all his enemies, visible or invisible, and whoever has this book with him cannot die without the Holy corpse of Jesus Christ. Nor drowned in any water, nor burning any fire, nor can any unjust sentence be passed upon him. So help me, And that's such an Appalachan thing to say, so help me. You know that's I just that whole pencil. I'm glad this came up. You know this, the whole Pennsylvania Dutch thing has always fascinated with me. My mom being from Pennsylvania, she always told me stories of being around the Pennsylvania Dutch and all they did it this way, or they would do this, and and you know, I just I've always found that very fascinating. I just saw a thing that Peter Santanello put out. He went to I believe he wasn't actually in Pennsylvania, and he was just going around doing what he does. He just talks to the locals and films it. And he was in a community where you had not Amish. Who am I thinking of Mennonite? Yeah, thank you. And so he goes into a Mennonite farm and talks to the lady there. She's the mom basically, and she has all her kids out there in the fields. They're all doing tasks and such. But the younger kids come up and they don't speak English, and this is you know, twenty twenty four in Pennsylvania, and she explains to him that they learn English at a certain age before that they speak Pennsylvania Dutch.
Speaker 2: I guess. Yeah. It is a very interesting culture that perhaps because of the language. I think this maybe helps it survive. And we have traditions that are very unique. There's a a European So when I say a European wildman tradition, there was tradition in Europe, especially around the Christmas holidays, to dress as wild men, you know, as as hairy things. And they have some wonderful costumes in Europe. To some of these festivals, not always around Christmas, but often around Christmas, you will find this Corompus is an example. I'm sure people are familiar with, like the crompus thing. That's one of these European wild men I'm talking about in Pennsylvania. Way we had until Santa Claus took it over, we had a surviving wild man tradition in the United States in the form of bell snickel. Hairy thing came from the mountains. Howld knocked on your windows knocked It sounds like Bigfoot, right, that's that's the legend of the bell snickel and it came at Christmas time. So we have this surviving. You know, people would dress in these crazy outfits, you know, and and do what they call bell snickling. They would go from house to house and hang on the windows, and you know, good kids got candy, big kids got switches, all all that stuff. But here we have this it's and it survived. And I think part of it is because of the language, because of the Pennsylvania Dutch language, which is not German. It's closer to Luxembourgian than straight Germans. It has a lot in common with German. But I have German friends who, like, I've tried to get them to translate Pennsylvania Dutch stuff for me, and they're like, nah, different not can't do it. Different language, you know, it doesn't exactly. It's not one to one kind of thing there. So it's a it's a unique language. It's a unique form of German. And because of that, I think I think that helped the culture survive, you know, in a way, help these these aspects of it survived. It's very very interesting, very interesting culture.
Speaker 1: It is. And you've mentioned Randy Magic and I know what that is. But sometimes even when I still hear that term, I think about the faem just that's what comes to mind. And I think it's because when I lived in Apalasia, some of the grannies that I knew, some of the older ladies in the community, they still very much believed in fairies. And I only knew. They didn't tell me this. I knew this because their their kids and their grandkids would tell you this. They kept it very quiet. And there were two things in that community that I guess you would call in the supernatural realm that people knew about, or you could say, believed in, and that was the fairies and Bigfoot.
Speaker 2: Hmm. Interesting.
Speaker 1: Bigfoot was a belief because people were seeing it mm hmm in that community, and and then they would go to their grandma's and be like, you know, what is this and the grandma's would be like, Grandma would start talking about fairies, almost as an explanation for Bigfoot. Well, I know there's this crossover.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I hard to see them as unrelated. Again. And you know, people think of tinker Bell when they think of fairies, but many of these stories have fairies that could turn into very big things. You know, they weren't always little things. They would turn into very very big things. So you know, I'm with Grandma on that one. Yeah, I think, you know, I think they're closer to a fairy than they are to just some undiscovered ape in the woods. That's all, you know. I can't say I don't know what they are, but just my gut says they're very weird. I know, they're very weird things you can't explain. They don't act like any other animal on the planet, and they seem, you know, a lot closer to these other things we talk about than they do to a gorilla.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just had a guy on I haven't put the episode out yet, but he wrote an encyclopedia of fairies with over seven hundred accounts. Wow, I think similar to what you do. He went out and he found all the archived old articles and such and put them in a book, and you know, like yourself, you know, presents it in a very appealing and digestible way. But he had the same theory about Bigfoot. He believes that Bigfoot is is like a basically a big hairy face spirit essentially, And he was talking about the Book of Enoch, because in the Book of Enoch there's this story that these there was like an ancient battle, like a cosmic battle, and the celestial spirits fell to Earth, and wherever they landed they became a humanoid fixture of that tobography, your geography, that landscape. So you know, you have mermaids for water and fairies for air, and for woods, you have wood boogers. I guess there sasquatch, right.
Speaker 2: And I mean, yeah, absolutely, yeah they seem to be I mean, yeah, sure you get you get bigfoot in the desert too, but yeah, they like it seems so related to me. It seems so related to me.
Speaker 1: It's this idea of a hurry Earth spirit. But go ahead.
Speaker 2: Earlier this year, I was at Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. I was invited there because they said, oh, they're having a big foot flap right now, do you want to go collect stories? Heck? Yeah, Like when am I going to get a chance to do that again. Wonderful people the Lakota I met were lovely and and shared with us their culture and their stories and is another just wonderful life changing trip. You know, I've been very lucky to have some of these, but I was impressed by them because literally everybody I talked to except one person, had a big Foot story. There was no question to them whether real or not real, because it was there, you know, they it was real. But I asked everyone, what do you think it is? And everyone that I talked to said, oh, it's some kind of spirit and some kind of spirit. And they also have little people there, you know, in the same area they're same Bigfoot. In fact, literally in the exact same area some of these stories I collected, they saw what they call the wee we load, the little people, and then big they saw. You know, another person saw Bigfoot the exact same place is the exactly raped by this creek. So yeah, they're they're firm would convinced to the reality of it. There's no question to them. Yeah, no, it's it's here. But is it is it a They never said, by the way, they never said gorilla, and they never said ape man, nothing like that. They all said man, hairy man or big hairy man. That's how they described him. And I asked, finally, I asked, one of them was telling their stories when the Lakota was telling me the stories, and I said, you know, I noticed nobody here says compared it to a gorilla or an ape or anything like that. And she said, oh no, no, no, it's a man. It's a man, big hairy man. So I found that interesting too. There was no no gorilla talk, no, nothing like that. But yeah, they're all But I would say, even after they said oh, it's a big harry man, I said, well, do you think it's like you know, like, no, no, it's a spirit. It's the spirit of a man, you know. That's what they say. So it's incredibly interesting, Like it's just completely there. There's no question to them that does exist, does it not exist? No, it's here, it's here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The general consensus is that they think it's some kind of omen though, and it could be something good or bad. So I think, and I'm sort of paraphrasing from the people I talk to, and I don't want to misrepresent the culture as a whole, but this is just my impression from the people I talked to, was that they don't want to see it because they don't know if it's a good or a bad omen you know, so they'd rather not see it at all.
Speaker 1: That's what I was. That's what was happening in Apalachia with the fairies. It's that same idea. They'd rather not deal with it because they don't know. I guess if it's coming or going or good or bad or what?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah, it could be good, could be bad. But why I take the chance. Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I got this article here, and this is going to tie in with with what you just said. And I tried to find a couple of articles here. I'm not gonna lie that. Maybe you aren't familiar with, so I try to get real deep. I don't know if I could achieve.
Speaker 3: That or not.
Speaker 1: But have you ever heard of the Russian wood Goblin?
Speaker 2: Not by that name? I don't know if we're talking about the chi I believe it's called is the same guy?
Speaker 1: I don't think so, maybe, but I don't see that name. So this goes back to the fifteen hundreds and the sources Fadim A. Brov Turnabrov. It's from Encyclopedia of Mysterious Places in Russia, and it says local peasants in this village, located south of Moscow, encountered a hairy humanoid entity, the so called wood Goblin. In this legendary place near the banks of the river Moskova. The frightened locals quickly fled in terror. Other reports indicated that these giant, hairy entities have been seen in this area on several occasions and for centuries, and putedly are able to slip into our realm from another dimension. Wow wow yep. Rumors indicated that there was a gateway or portal into another dimension in the area where large dolmens were located at the bottom of the Golo Selvilla Goli. So we're back to like ancient sites here now. Decades later. Decades later on, there were reports of mysterious disappearances of residents in the nearby villages of Dayakovo and Sabdovniki between eighteen twenty five and nineteen seventeen. But the legend has been around since the fifteen hundreds.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: And it seems like if you were to ask the locals, the consensus is that these things coming in through a portal or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting, that's super interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I can send you that one if you want it later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it, love it.
Speaker 1: There's a It actually gives another source too, So I think there's like a couple of an amalgamation of sources for that, but.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's yeah. So we collect a lot of this folklore worldwide. My co author Joshua Kutchen and I for the two book series we wrote called Where the Footprints Then, and that tackles all the weird stuff associated with Bigfoot, and there's no shortage of it. These are two very thick books we wrote, But a lot of this worldwide folklore like that, And I know, I don't think I had that one, but you find so much of it. There's these legends all over the world. It seems like wherever we live, weeping humans next to us, there's always the wild man in the wilderness, whatever that wilderness is, if it's the forest, if it's the mountains, even the desert sometimes, as I said, but there's always a wild man. Even in places that have large primates, like Africa, they still have a wild man tradition.
Speaker 1: And the islands, some of the islands.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like you can go to the far corners of the earth and get all the wild man accounts all your way to the end, and when you turn around to come back. On your way back, you're going to be discovering new wild Man's stores. That's that's my experience.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they've like they've always lived the sides in the woods. Now what does that mean? I don't know, But our ancestors have been telling these stories all over the world, all over the world as long as we've been around. You know, perhaps a youngian archetype, right, that we are manifesting in some way humanity again being we who can say, I don't know, but you know why, why is it always besides it's always been there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know you sparked something there for me when you said the young and archetype. And because I got really into I mean I've read young, but I got really into Keel in a way in which I was reading his unpublished letters to his and like old correspondences with like his friends and girlfriends. So I was I was going through his letters and most of these are, like you know, like I say, they're unpublished, and I was able to somewhat track his state of mind through the late sixties and into the seventies. And this is a man who threw himself at the phenomenon. He became a bloodhound on the trail of just all things weird, and he got close, I think, to catching up to this great unknown spectacle of this whole thing. But on his journey, what I found was that this was a guy who was hitting these pockets of frustration, because when you can't conclusively catch what you seek, you are at best adapting a theory. And I think that he is constantly stuck in this state of here's my theory. I've got to tweak it again. But it's the dot dot dot, the eternal dot dot dot. And I call it the Kill conundrum. And you know, I recently included in the title of an episode just for people who are paying attention. I'm just kind of nerdy about it, but honestly, I do. I think he was frustrated because he thought that he couldn't find real conclusive proof. But I'd argue that he proved that there is a whatever we want to call it, I'll just call it for the sake of this conversation, like an ancient cosmic intelligence. He almost proved that there is one by the amount of time that he sacrificed by search. His physical and mental dedication to the study itself was a form of proof. And you know, also, if you really want to go deep alchemically, agregorically, if you want to take into account maybe a form of esoteric manifestation. If this phenomenon did not exist before Keel, perhaps it existed after Keel because of Keel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he did not have a good time, especially later in life, and people would talk to him, and I've seen interviews with them where people would basically say I want to do what you did, and he would say, oh my god, why why do you want to ruin your life? Are you trying to ruin your life? Allow me to change my theory next week.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I.
Speaker 2: Evidence is a problem. And I wrote about this in terms of bigfoot evidence and where the footprints end, but it applies across the board with this stuff. Evidence is cool, right, Like if I find footprints, I am absolutely gonna make casts out of them, and that would be super cool. But my goal is not to take this to science and say see see this is real. See it's fruitless. This is a fruitless pursuit. The evidence we do collect tends to go missing. Anything like blood samples or hair samples inevitably comes back inconclusive. They'll test it once and they'll get something like unknown primate. They'll send it to a different lab and they'll come back. Now that's a bear, you know, complete or just inconclusive. It's contaminated, it's inconclusive. We can't use it. A lot of times it gets just go lost. They get lost in the maulth these hair samples, they're just gone. They're gone. Oh it's the government. What the hell, it's not. Government can't fix the roads. They don't care about Bigfoot here. It's something about the phenomenon. There are people who have claimed to kill Bigfoot, several people, multiple cases of it now the time, not ninety nine percent of the time, not ninety nine point nine, one hundred percent of the time. These bodies go missing. We have no Bigfoot body. So are they lying? I don't know. But there's no bodies. There's no bodies. Those giant skeletons you're talking about, Oh they were taken away to the Smithsonian. Okay, maybe, but if they're gone, no matter who takes them, whether it's a black helicopter or some government agency or in the terms of these big Foot sometimes we'll say the other Bigfoot coming out of the woods and reclaim the body. If we can't access them. They're gone. It doesn't matter. They're gone. The original Patterson Gimwin film from the sixties that shows what may or may not be a big foot walking across the thing there. My opinion has changed on this over the years. I used to be very convinced it did show an actual creature. Now and we'll see. I think time will reveal. But in any case, the original film, despite some people who claim to have it, has, is not when no one can put their hands on the original film, and it's an incredibly valuable piece of evidence. We could tell a lot if we had the original film just going. You know, this happens again and again with this evidence, with this stuff, and I think it becomes very much like and I do paranormal conferences, and so many of them are about like, this is how we should collect evidence, and this is how we should present our evidence, and these attempts to write these scholarly papers on the phenomena and so forth. It becomes like how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. It's all theory, and it's you're presenting theories to other people who are interested in the paranormal people into the science. Now, as I say this. There have been some very interesting PSI experiments that were repeatable in the lab. These are vastly in the minority. I'm talking about your average ghost tun or, your average bigfoot person, obsessed with evidence, obsessed with collecting evidence, obsessed with convincing people who aren't interested in this stuff that it's real. I think it's a real problem because I think you begin to miss the nature of the phenomena is experiential. It is not. It's not for me to prove to you. If you've experienced it and I tell you my stories, will go, oh, you'll probably believe me. Right, I can tell you my stories. You know that's great, But to believe you must experience. And the biggest believers of the people who've experienced something maybe they just all in orb but they're opened a little bit more to some weirder stuff. So the nature of this, I truly believe it that this stage in my life, the nature of this is experiential. You can relate it to other people, you can tell it to other people, but you're never going to prove it to him. You're never going to prove it to mainstream science. It's almost fruitless to even try just go out there and experience it and talk to other people who are interested in it, you know what I mean. That's kind of where I am at this point. I'm not interested in proving to anybody who's a skeptic or anything. I can't whatever, I can't tell you what it is. I think that's.
Speaker 1: What Kill was up against too. He was and like I mean, you said, the nature of it is experiential. I love that, And you know, I had to abandon this eventually, but I did my best to kind of track down where Kill was, not to just continue talking about him, but no, I'll just add this in here. I was trying to track down where he was when the Mothman thing started. That's why I was going through all his old correspondences.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 1: It seems like he was going up from Atlanta through Western Carolina into West Virginia, that region we started talking about right in this conversation, and it seems like I couldn't pin it down, but he may have actually been in the car on the road on the road of West Virginia actually the same time that injured Cold showed up and Mothman showed up in West Virginia. It's very close and so it's like I had to ask a question like how much of that was how much of that phenomenon now is perpetuated by the fact that there is a madman out on the roads who's hunting down humanoids in real life? You know, how much of them coming through To go back to that one account them coming through a dimension is how much of that is intertwined with the fact that there's a guy out there looking for it?
Speaker 2: And did the fireball appear because the three of us made that journey to Indiana? Yeah, Yeah, it's yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, because you have these synchrome mystical happenings, and it seems like from with all of my paranormal and just all the experiences I've had over the years, it seems like we're dealing with a phenomenon that interacts with us on its terms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can't make a dance for you, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 2: So much to the extent that I've experienced this person personally. Sometimes two people can be looking at the same thing and experience something see something different. John one of the fellows that went with me to Indiana, he started out very skeptical and he's there's a certain place here where we see light's mystery lates quite regularly in the woods. And he said, take me out there, tell you what they are. I'm fine, I'll take you. If you can explain them. I'm good with that. Let's let's go. So we hiked into this area during the day and we just waited until it got dark, and not only did we see them, but we saw them in a way that we never saw them before. I don't know it's because normally we would sit outside of the woods and look in. We were sitting in the woods where we saw it normally saw the lights, and they came right up to us, almost like curious and playful, like these these orbs and lights just coming at us. And at one point John dropped to his knees and he was trying to catch one. He was trying to grab one out of the air. He's laughing because he's like, I don't know what these are. I said, I told you, I told you. And he's he's reaching up and trying to grab one. And I was about six or eight feet to his left, and I was looking at what I assume was the same light, and I said, John, what do you see? For some reason, I asked him and he said, oh, it was about the size of a ping pong ball and was going I didn't see that. I saw just a little single looks like a little led light, That's all I saw. It looked like he was trying to reach up for a little led light. So I'm pretty sure we were observing the same thing and seeing something different, which is you know, it leads me to wonder, like, does this stuff Is it like a video game and it's skinning this phenomena right in different ways?
Speaker 1: I think it is, and it wants you to play back and interact with it.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it definitely wants some kind of interaction, whether that's fear response, whether that's it's it's looking for something for sure, for sure, I don't know if it's always looking for fear or like sometimes I think it's like it doesn't realize that what now. Obviously, if it's a big giant, eight monthster screaming at you, I think that's trying to in gender terror, no question about that. But some of these things that like it almost doesn't realize how creepy it is or how weird it seems to us, Like it doesn't quite speak our life language. You know what I mean, it's just trying to get our attention. Had an instance where I was in the woods and I had heard some wood knox and I really didn't want to go back in the direction of the wood knox, so I knew the trail looped around the other way. I was by myself, and it was an area I hadn't been in. We really don't have time. One day, I'll tell the whole story of this, this whole area. It's it's very involved story. But I hadn't been there for a while because i'd been attacked by a rabid raccoon, which I believe was related to a whole bunch of other synchronicities and and something I did wrong. I think I was sort of being smacked on my butt by the phenomena for screwing up a little bit. In any case, I hadn't been there much since this rabid raccoon attack. I put the recon. I won the fight good, but.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you're still alive from the on the bite.
Speaker 2: It didn't bite me. I still had to get raby shots because I've been hiking through the thorns. I cuts on my legs and I broke it. I broke its neck. But in the process of doing that, I had a big walking stick. Okay, in the process of doing that, I split it open, so it was bleeding. And they were like, just because you had cuts and stuff, you need to get raby shots. So I didn't get bit. I stopped it. I had. I had to put myself between the raccoon and my son who was with me, and I was like, you know we it was during the day. Shouldn't have been out during the day. I told my son run. I tried to run. I looked in this thing. I was like, I'm not outrunning this thing. So I just thought this is gonna suck, because like raccoons could tear you up. I said, I got I got one shot. If I hit this thing with my walking stick before it gets to me, that's my one shot and divine intervention. I don't know. I got it. I broke its neck with my walking stick one shot, but I knew I couldn't let it get to my son. That's the only thing, Like, I have to stop this thing. It's between me and my son. Anyway, hadn't been at this park much since that raccoon attack because of all this weirdness. It was the synchronouses around. It literally floored me. There were so many and so much that it like I was like stunned, and I was like, I just I don't know if I want to go back there. And I didn't go back there for a long time, but one of my I think it was like the second time I went back to the solo hike there, I hear these wood knocks. I don't want to go towards the wood knox. I go the other direction and literally turn the corner and there's a dead cat like right in the middle of the trail, perfectly laid out, no sign of predation. It wasn't a coyote kill. It looked like it just killed over in the middle of the trail, perfectly parallel, like perfectly in the trail, as if it was walking the trail and just just keeled over. Now, I initially took this as something very sinister because of what had happened with the raccoon, and there are some other there's relations to other dead things that work into the story. Again, it's a very very long story, but I was like, oh, and it really took me back, and I was like really like, oh, but I talked to my friend brother Richard the Friar again from Ireland, and he said, well, maybe not. He said, maybe it was just trying to get your attention and it doesn't really understand that that's really creepy to us. You know, that's a really creepy thing to us. Maybe it was just in a way saying welcome back, here's some weirdness for you, and it didn't mean it in a sinister way. So I think that maybe sometimes that can be the case. Sometimes I don't know, the sometimes it can seem very very sinister. I'll say that, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, it's it's it's always befuddled me though, this whole thing, and it's just, you know, I'm a past kid. I think that that might have something to do with why I've had experiences. But I've always been given a heads up and I don't know. But for whatever reason, whenever you said divine intervention, this is what came to my mind, is like I've always been kind of given this heads up and about to lose this, so I'm gonna plug my laptop in when when I've moved. When I was ten, we moved into a house that.
Speaker 2: Was haunted.
Speaker 1: It's severely haunted. And but when when we got there, I was talking to the kids across the street. I was making friends immediately with the neighborhood kids, and they said the house is haunted. They gave me this heads up, and they wouldn't back down from it. They they weren't they weren't joking. They kept saying, yeah, it's haunted. They were serious about it. And of course the previous owners had left the house empty, and I went upstairs to try and pick myself a bedroom before my brother could. I just like kids do, I just opened up the hallway closet upstairs, and of course this whole house is empty except for the Luigi board. What that was left in this house?
Speaker 3: Whoa?
Speaker 1: And the kids had just told me, you know, it's haunted, and I'm ten, so I'm just kind of putting the pieces together. I know that Ouiji board. I know I'm not supposed to have that because my dad's a pastor. I know it represents you know, evil or whatnot. So and you know, I would go on to to find that that house had some serious Poultergeis activity going on. And when we moved, When we moved, when I was fifteen. I was so happy to move, so happy to move. And we moved back to the mountains, back to Appalasia. And when I got there, I'm a teenager, now I'm older. I'm talking to some of the kids outside the church, my first, you know, week there, and one of the girls says, have you seen them yet? And I say, you know, I say who? She goes the people in the woods?
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And she's dead series. And on top of being dead serious, she has these big crazy eyes when she says it. And I wish I could just say this girl's full name, but I'm not going to because, like it would just add so much to this. Because I went to youth group with this girl. I remember her full name, I remember her face and everything. And she was so serious and she was scared, and she's we're having this conversation and we're out in this church parking lot in the middle of nowhere, and the parking lot surrounded by woods, and so the whole time she's telling me this, she's looking over my shoulder at the woodline as if she's expecting something to come out as we're talking about it. And come to find out, it took a while. It took a while for me to put together the pieces, but she was talking about sasquatch and she was one hundred percent serious about it. And her friend in I went to youth group with all these kids. Her friend was a girl who I dated for a while, and this is like, this was, you know, a sixteen year old, seventeen year old girl who did not She wasn't in the squatching, she didn't care about Bigfoot. He's not involved in the culture of it or anything. She's not watching Bigfoot documentaries for fun. She but she saw one and she was scared to death. She lived down a lit, long, windy road out in the middle of the country, gravel road. We used to joke that it was the longest driveway in the region because it seemed like it was like a mile long. And she one walked out in front of her her car, and the way I understand it made eye contact with her, and she was afraid to tell me. She eventually told me, She's like, I'm, I'm She was almost apologizing for telling me the story, but she's like, I can't help it because it really happened. I've have to tell you. And she was scared, and I said well, what was it? And she said it was a man, but not a man, and of course big and hairy. And we would go out and we would do you know, teenager stuff, and we'd get back sometimes after dark, and she'd have to psych herself up to get out of the car after dark, just to go straight into the front door. This was a very real thing to.
Speaker 2: These I've met hunters who hunted all their life, guys that loved hunting, and they see one and they're done. Yeah, they will not go back in the woods again. They're done. Yeah, you know, doesn't tend to happen with bears. This is another strange thing about this, and one of the things that I have to be careful the way I talk about this, and I'm going to stay up front. I do not think Bigfoot is a demon, so please no one say that I'm saying that. But when you look at the phenomenon and you compare it to marry and apparitions, for instance, these visions of Mary all over the world, people say brighter than the sun, Bigfoot, they say, blacker than black. These these holy visions, not just Mary, but some angels, other things that people experience often are accompanied by a wonderful smell. The odor of sanctity just smelled so good. Smell good. Bigfoot smells like rotten meat and scat. You know, it smells horrible, awful smell. People are left tired often with these these heavenly visions, but very happy, very very fulfilled, very you know, like calm Bigfoot. People are left scared, terrified, haunted by it for the rest of their life, these these holy visions. They'll leaves like flower petals behind. Sometimes they'll get the people get showers of flower petals. What is bigfootly behind? Big piles of poop, you know, nasty stuff. So I call it the oppositeness of the phenomenon. So it does. It does speak to something kind of like the opposite, you know, the opposite of this heavenly stuff. Now again I'm not saying it's a demon, but it does make me go, well, that's weird. You know, there's maybe maybe there's something a little bit negative about that phenomenon, or maybe just aspects of it. You know. I've had people tell me, well, some are bad, some are good. I don't know, but certainly the people that are left with these effects, it makes me wonder. It really does because again, I've seen bears in the woods. I don't want to mess with a bear, you know, I'd rather not see them in the woods. It's neat to see. I've seen a moose in the woods. They could be very way more dangerous than bear. It was cool to see. I'd rather not see one again. But it's not gonna keep me out of the woods, you know. And these are, like I said, these are guys who loved hunting. Who they could tell they'd be like, oh, man, I loved hunting. You know, every year I was out there, you know, every day I could hunt in my entire life. And like never going back in the woods again. I give up hunting. Can't do it. You know, there's something about it that's not a bear. You know, It's not like I've seen a bear in the woods. It's something different.
Speaker 1: Those are some of my favorite stories, are like the Hunters, like when it comes to like a show like Sasquatch Chronicles. I know West has had a lot of hunters on over the years. Those are always my favorite shows. And it irks me whenever I hear people who haven't studied the subject say, well, you know, who doesn't see bigfoot hunters because they're absolutely wrong hunters. Just it's out there, you can find it.
Speaker 2: I mean, wait, And you always get the person who's like, oh, I've been in the woods my entire life, I've never seen anything. Okay, Yeah, that means nothing. That doesn't mean anything. That means absolutely nothing. I could walk down a trail and just see something to say, I see a bluebird down a trail and I come out of that trail and I say, hey, there's a bluebird down there. You should go down there and look for it. You go down there, that boo bird's probably gone. You may or may not ever see that bird. Doesn't mean if we wasn't there when I saw it, It's right, it means you didn't see it, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're almost back to does it cheap to show itself to you? Or doesn't choose you? And it's you know, I remember back in the day listening to Coast to Coast and Art Bell was talking to a guy from the Ozarks who was expousing all these bigfoot stories and Art goes, you know, why did they choose you? And he's like, I don't know, but they were just always seen to be around. And I'm the guy that they like to show themselves to. And another weird thing about that one was it was his parents knew about the Bigfoot, and they they called them wild man or wild man, and he's here, he is on coast to coast and he's using the term the terminology bigfoot because it was almost like it was generational there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I think, especially like in the seventies, it was this idea that Bigfoot was in California and Oregon. So you get a lot of these, like other names that people used for them all over the place. In the wood boogers in the South, you get some pockets they would call them catamounts, which I know is another name for a a cougar, but they would I've heard some accounts that said, no, no, we called the bigfoot. We called them catamounts, maybe because the way they scream or something. I don't know. Locally, they were there's one place and I know that this is a different creature in Wisconsin or something, the hodag. But locally there was a place that they were calling it a hodag here in Pennsylvania, and that it wasn't this creature of Wisconsin. They were talking about a big hairy man like thing. So I think these names they probably pre date Bigfoot, a lot of them. But you know, until later on, people didn't realize we were talking about the same thing. You know, they've been on bigfoots. In California, we have the ho Dag, we have the Wooly Booker, you know what I mean like that, So it could be a little bit of that that's going on too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, the localized regional names. There's the White Screamer in Tennessee. Is there's another when it's it's slipping in my mind right now. Of course, there's just the wild man. The Tennessee wild man is just another term for I think for a Bigfoot like creature. Uh, because a lot of those accounts that I've read, when they're talking about Tennessee wild Man, it's it doesn't seem like it's man. It seems more weird bigfoot supernatural.
Speaker 2: Oh, I remember another gum devil that was another local name around here, and they call them gum devils.
Speaker 1: Gum devils. Well, you know what, what what do you think about this? Have you heard about those two guys that are like and because I'm thinking about that Old Coast to Coast episode and I remember I think Linda Moulton Howell came on and was talking about the men in Black and then they were talking about the men in Black of Bigfoot. And have you heard about these two guys that used to I guess show up after the Bigfoot sidings. Do you think there's anything to that?
Speaker 2: I mean, they certainly had a lot of people who weren't related talked about him. Yeah, I've heard about him. Interestingly enough, they would they always seem to be the same two guys, one big guy. They say he's dressed like a biker or sometimes wearing a flannel shirt, which if you're a strange familiar person, that should ring some bells for you. Man, he's uh. In one instance he said his name was Bear, which is super interesting given the amount of you know, associations between bears and Bigfoot. You know, people most often say it's the most mistaken animal for Bigfoot, or a vice versa. He's appeared behind people. There's a cop that tells a story of being he run into these guys. This cop was documenting a lot of these Bigfoot reports locally, and these guys came and basically told him to stop it. He gets called out on a big foot call se these people's house, and he draws his gun on a creature, and he hears a voice behind him says, I wouldn't I wouldn't do that, and he turns around. It's that guy, that big guy in the big biker looking guy in the flannel shirt. He's just what, just appearing there. Like, it's very strange, and they do seem to be the bigfoot world's men in black. I collected lots and lots of accounts of them. Yeah, they're they're odd, and they've been appearing at least since like nineteen eighty or so. So you know, these same two guys. One guy's like nice dressed in a nice suit and more business like. The other guy's like real gruff and rough and like I said, like sometimes they say he's like a biker. Sometimes they say he's wearing a flannel shirt. It's supposed to be a great big guy too, like real big, intimidating guy. Yeah, that's that's interesting stuff.
Speaker 1: It's very interesting. I figured i'd throw it in because you know, we're having this, We're not having a flesh and blood Bigfoot conversation right now exclusively.
Speaker 2: It's just difficult to do with me.
Speaker 1: It's just fine. I mean, yeah, that's it's great. I mean, I I don't know. The more I look into it, the more wide open this this thing is for with possibilities.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And people like to pin me down like do you think it's interdimensional? I don't know. It's a good theory, but I don't know. You're never going to get me to say, oh no, that's definitely what it is, because the true answer is I don't know. And I had to accept that about a short time after I started looking into this, you know, I went in charged into Bigfoot, and I was like, you know, once I got back into it as an adult, I was like, maybe I could figure this out, you know, and very short time into it, I kind of realized like, nah, it's I'm not figuring this out. I don't think anybody in my lifetime is figuring this out. And I had to sit down and sort of talk to myself because I went through like a month of almost depression about it and I and eventually I sort of had this talk with myself like well, are you are you still interested in it?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Do you still like it? Yes? Are you willing to accept that you just you're not going to solve it and just live with the mystery. And my answer to that was yes, And it's been way more rewarding since that time. Honestly, it's just, you know, just accept that we don't get to solve this. You know, solving is maybe the wrong way to even approach it. Like I said, that seems like almost like an evidence thing like I was talking about before. You just experience it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, Ron Moorehead goes into the quantum realm m h and pokes around and heat again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the quantum it's interesting. But someone much smarter than me said, if you think you understand quantum physics, you don't understand quantum physics. So that's to let's kind of leave it there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, well yeah we can leave it there. And you know, the first time I heard the Sierra sounds, though, I thought, if that's real, what we think of and what we think we know of as reality is totally different.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and and let me take a step back and say, I love Ron Moorehead and he's super cool dude. I wanted to use again before I was doing the podcast, I wanted to use some of the Sierra sounds on a on an audio CD I was making with my band and I wrote him and I was just like, hey, can I just use a short clip of this and his answer, He's got the coolest response in the world. This this man is. I love run Morehead. He's super cool, dude. He said, I didn't make those sounds. Bigfoot made him do whatever you want with him. How cool is that?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: It's like yeah. And and how confident he is in him not making those sounds, right yeah? And and Ron's like in it venture. I mean, I totally admire the guy. So when I say, like, if you thinking, I don't mean to take anything away from the guy. The guy's amazing. He's an amazing man and a super nice guy. Just like that response alone to my inqreat just like I loved it, Like like just super nice guy. So I have no problem with Ron at all at all. And I do believe that the Sierra sounds are something. Now they were seeing Bigfoot and they were hearing the sounds. I don't know that they ever saw the creatures make the sounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So but if those sounds are real, and I'll just lay this out for people for the uninitiated. We're talking about a recording of creatures out in the wilds of California, Oregon.
Speaker 2: That's northern California, northern.
Speaker 1: California, and there you can look them up. They're readily available. Just look up the Sierra Sounds. But and you're going to hear just a a wide variety of sounds and frequencies. But also I think what you're gonna notice is there appears to be a language involved.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people crypto linguists have listened to it and they said they cannot tell what's being said, but they can tell it's the language. Audio technicians have listened to it and they said there is. They had the original tapes to test and they said that there are whatever's on there is making sounds that go both lower and higher than the human range. So it's you know, it's not a person. What is it, you know, bigfoot? We could certainly say it's happening in the same place as Bigfoot. The reason I say this is when they talk about these class B encounters with bigfoot. In other words, this is the using the BFROS terminology. These are things that are Bigfoot like things where the creature isn't seen people smell bad smells, they get stones thrown at them, They hear guttural vocals like the Sierras sounds sometimes things like that, and they say, because they're in the woods, they say, oh is a bigfoot. Look at poltergeist encounters. Though, you get stones son at you inside of houses, they are warm. Now the bigfoot people say, oh, it's warm because the bigfoot was holding in their hands. Inside houses. People get stones thrown at them with poultrygeist accounts, and they pick them up. They're warm, They get bad smells, they get these all the same things, including a guttural unknown language. I don't know that it's ever been recorded, but it's been reported with poultergeist accounts again and again at Skinwalker Ranch, the original I believe it was the original. The second owners, not the original owners, but the ones that were there when they wrote the book about it said they heard as language coming from the air, which they said sounded like Russian being spoken backwards. Now that could describe the Sierra sounds, you know. It's so you have these things that. So that's why I say, like, did big Foot make the sounds or is it something else? Is it something about the phenomena. I don't know, but it's it's certainly something they recorded, and I do believe I don't. I don't believe very highly in video evidence, and that that doesn't mean I don't think it can be captured on video. I just think the phenomena, for whatever reason, doesn't like video. But audio is fine. We're for some reason, we're allowed to record audio. I've gotten some very interesting audio myself, including unknown vocals. They don't really sound like with Serra sounds. They sound like the only way I could phrase it, and I don't mean to be offensive, but it's sounds like someone death who's trying to speak but very loudly, calling very loudly through the woods, free in the morning. You know I recorded that. So you get these things, but it's it's it's almost a one to one match for Poltergez though, which is super interesting, super interesting.
Speaker 1: Have you heard I've heard the weird sounds in that community that I lived in that I was talking about earlier. I've heard I was woken awoken one night by these crazy sounds. At the time, I didn't know what it was, and you know, it sounded demonic, it sounded it sounded like multiple creatures that were scrapping over I don't know, like a quarrel or something, but it was it was a very loud sound. It was very like I shot up in bed. Wow, it woke me up, and I shot up in bed. I sat straight up, and I never do that. You know, it takes a lot to get me to sit straight up out of a sleep. In fact, I just I think that's the only time that's ever happened to me. And I was overcome by fear, and I thought, I mean, I'm like, is this really happening? And I'm like, yeah, I'm not dreaming anymore. I'm not asleep anymore. Just loud, strange, demonic with these parts that trail off into what seems to be the language. And you know, at the time, I didn't know what it was. I went and I talked to my neighbor about it. I asked him about it. He said, well, first of all, I don't think he told me what he really thought. He was an older gentleman, and the older people in that community wouldn't. They weren't inclined to talk about this. The kids would talk about it. The older people. You'd rarely hear that they knew about this, but they wouldn't talk about it. So he told me. My neighbor told me, the only thing I know that that would be or could be, is a pack of wild dogs. And you know what I heard didn't sound knine at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, I've so the sort of unknown language, whatever it was. I caught that on a recorder I left out in the woods. I've heard these like clacks in like kind of howls, and I've heard what they call the the eight hundred pounds ol. You know, it's like someone something imitating an owl, but it sounds way too big. The one I actually recorded one, it's about a half oct of lower. It's not not a full walk of lower, but about a half foctive lower than the other als around. It's pretty interesting. The one thing that that did wake me up when I did wake up the wood knocks. One night I was camping at a there's a ghost town here in Pennsylvania called Pandemonium. And for those ghost towns on the East coast are not These aren't your western ghost towns. It's you know, very wet in the forest here, and that there's no wood. The wood goes away, so we're talking about you know, rock foundations basically. But we're camping within this this town called Pandemonium, which had some ghost stories associated with it. We went there for ghosts. We did not go there for Bigfoot. But I was woken up about, you know, three twenty in the morning by these wooden knocks and I could hear them, and I had enough in my mind to hit record on my recorder, so I recorded them, and you could see in the stereophile you could see it's a knock in this side, and it sounds very crisp, almost like a baseball bat like clack clack, and then it's answered and you can see it in the other channel. It's answered by this heavy thud, you know. So I'm imagining like, you know, maybe a branch with like some spark still on it or something, you know, like a bigger log like a thud thud and clack clack, and they're going back and forth. I was terrified. I had to pee, and I'm sitting there in my tent, going I have to go out there, and this is happening sounds like maybe forty fifty yards from my tent, you know, right in the woods behind me, and I'm just I'm thinking, like, my buddy's with me, he's in his tent. I can hear him snoring. And there's enough of these accounts where you can't wake people up. There's a lot of them where you can't wake someone up and you have to go through it alone. And I'm thinking like, well, I don't want this. I don't want to have to deal with this alone. I definitely have, you know, I gotta get up and pee, I gotta face this. And I'm listening. It was probably only a minute or so, and finally I hear him say do you hear that? And I said, oh, yeah, I've been hearing that, and we you know, at that point, we got up and I felt a lot better, you know, having someone else around. The rest of the night, we heard stuff walking around, saw some red eyes looking at us. A pretty intense night. But yeah, I got woken up by knocks that night. Pretty very intense, very intense time.
Speaker 3: Had.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because when you're out there and you're in nature and something like that happens to you, we have instincts, you know, we come prepared for this world somewhat with instincts, and we're out in nature and you hear something unnatural. A lot of times you realize that, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: We were six miles in the state forest. We had hiked around to make sure there was no one else camping there. There was no one else around us. This had to be something with hands, I think, swinging it in and the thing that really blew me away, besides all the other stuff. We're up now from three thirty till daylight. Just like I said, just listening to something walking around. It's a lot of ferns in the forest. This was in the summer, and you could see a wake of something just walking around, something big through the ferns. I just walked around our campsite, you know. So we had this very harrowing night buying like daylight us here and we're breaking down camp and I have to go right. And I had my pack hanging on a tree and I reached around without looking. I didn't look around the backside of the tree. I just reached around and untied the para cord that my pack was hanging. And I bring the para cord around and on that para cord and I was thankfully my buddy was standing right next to me, so he got to see it. As I brought it around, we locked eyes like what was a rusty spring? A bedspring that had been twisted into the para cord. Now again, gotta be something with hands to do that. It was still attached to the para cord when I brought around with and like I said, we locked eyes like, what the heck? Go around the backside of that tree. Could see another wake through the ferns leading right to that tree, and a rusty old bedspring was there. It must it who him whatever, must have walked right over that bed spring, picked up a pull of spring up from it and twisted it into that pair of cord. I think it was that's just my gut. I don't know. I think it was like saying, yeah, I was here, I was this close, within feet of my tent, and my friend sleeps in a lean to tent standing behind that tree. You could watch him sleep. You could watch him sleep maybe ten feet away from that tree he was. I was right beside that tree. I think it was just like, yeah, I got this close and you did nothing about it. It's like Countain Coup in a way. It was stunning, stunning. Yeah, And if it was a person, hey, brave man, because if we'd have woken up and found you in our campsite, you'd have had you we were armed, and you would have had a hard time. I'll tell you that. Don't go into people's campsites atnight, don't. I don't do it. You know you're asking for trouble if you do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I had trees shook at me, just a whole other a lot of other sideis I'm not going to go into them today, but I'll just finish it with that. I there was something too powerful to be just a man doing some of doing some of the things that I saw as well. And when it comes to the trees that were shaking, they were too big.
Speaker 2: I've seen that, big trees just shipping back and forth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and when it's only two trees, it's not.
Speaker 2: Not the wind exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I saw that one day and I was with another guy and he's like, oh, that's the wind. I'm like, why is it just the one tree and the wind's not there's no wind blowing, it's just the tree. And it was His girlfriend was across a creek that we couldn't there's just no way to cross this creek. It's a big more akin to a river, and water's filthy anyway. It comes out of York City. I would not want to be in that water anyway, but there's there's really no safe way to cross there anyway. Yeah, and his girlfriend, he was actually showing me some other like bigfoot sign that he found in the woods there. His girlfriend was sitting by the creek and said, came back up. I said, all I heard these low grunts and then I looked across and you just this this tree just whipping back if it was a big sycamore tree because it was white against it, really see it, because it's white against the other trees and just whipping back and for a huge tree, Like what's doing that? Like yeah, yeah, yeah, who knows.
Speaker 1: Here, I've got another siding here. I'll do this. This will be the last one I read. It's from Pennsylvania, so I had to throw it in right, all right, And it's from nineteen seventy three in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: Right by me.
Speaker 1: An ungodly looking creature created havoc among the local god fearing Amish community. Witnesses described the creature as follows the size of a good heifer gray in color with a white mane t It had tiger like fangs and curved horns like a billy goat. It ran upright on long legs and had long, grizzly claws. In one incident, the creature sent a team of horses and two brothers flying when it approached their haywagon. The following day, a man was cutting weeds on his farm about five miles from the previous incident when he heard a fierce roar and turned to see a monster with three horns and a tail charging in his direction. He raised his scythe to defend himself, only to have the implement ripped from his hands. At that point, the man wisely decided to turn both cheeks to the monster and escaped as fast as he could run. And then there's one more. A day later, a woman was feeding poultry on a farm midway between the two earlier incidents, when she heard a commotion and turned to see the creature in the act of snatching a goose in each of its hands. She bravely ran towards the thing, waving her apron. The woman managed to recover one of her geese when the creature threw it at her, knocking to her to the ground in the process, and the interloper then escaped with the remaining bird in hand. And that's from America's Nightmare Monsters.
Speaker 2: Okay, a couple of things about that story. When that man with the size returned the next day, he just found the metal part of the size. The handle was he presumed eaten out of it. It was gone. The handle was gone, so he just found the metal part of the side. But that is misattributed to Lancaster County. That's actually from Happy Valley. It's the Amish in the middle of the state. And I think whoever elected that story originally saw Amish and there's so associated with Lancaster County. I think they just went, oh, it's Langster County because it's Amish. But it's actually in a place called Happy Valley. It's in the middle of the state. But you have a fantastic account. All the other details are spot on.
Speaker 1: I figured you would have known that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's a good one. It's hard to get the Amage to talk about this stuff. They don't like to neither do there's a there's a Welsh community here where they still have church services in Welsh right here in York County, Pennsylvania. It's a wonderful community. There's a lot of strangeness that happens there, a lot of big foot sightings, a lot of other stuff. And I wanted to talk to the Welsh people because I truly believe people bring their folkslore with them. You're talking about fairies and Appalachias because there's a heavy Scots Irish population there. They brought that folklore with them. So I thought these, well Welsh have a fairy tradition too, and I would love to talk to them. But the Welsh they don't talk about this stuff like the Amish, they don't talk about it. So that I went to the Historical Society there and they're like, you'll never get them to talk. And I happened to mention this to someone in the UK and they said, oh, yeah, the Welsh they just don't talk about this stuff. So it's it's just not done. So yeah, I'm sure the Amish have a lot more stories and I wish they would talk about it, but they just don't. They don't. It's not what they do.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been through so York, PA, that Central that was Central Okay. Now, I don't know if I've been through York, but I've been through Pennsylvania from the Philly side. I drove.
Speaker 2: Across to Pittsburgh, okay, and I went went north of York then.
Speaker 1: Okay, And I will say this, it is beautiful country. Oh yeah, but it is very it's sparse. It's sparsely populated.
Speaker 2: In the middle of the state there. Yeah, Like where I am, it's it's close enough to Maryland where you get a lot of like commuters from Baltimore even here, so it's it's a little more populated where I am. But in the middle of the state, yeah, it's it's super sparse, very very low light pollution there. If you if you like the SkyWatch, it's like a wonderful place to go, especially the north central Pennsylvania. It's like almost zero light pollution there. It's incredible. Do you see darkness there like you rarely see anywhere?
Speaker 1: Well, yes, and it's just National parks stacked. There's like one of those areas. I think there was just six National parks in a row. That's what it seemed like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, it's yeah, it's it's it's a great place for that too. Yeah, I have. I have some complaints about the way the local parks are handed, but it handled but in general they are creating and keeping green spaces here in a really special way that as a hiker, never mind the paranormal, as someone who loves to hike, is is wonderful to see. There's some private organizations that are doing and they just they're making this land available to people to hike, to hunt, fish, whatever, and it's it's just wonderful. They're just saving block after block, hundreds of acres at a time and just making it green space for people, and it's just it's fantastic, incredible.
Speaker 1: So when's the next book and what and when are you thinking?
Speaker 2: Okay, So the next book is called I Have Never Minded the Loneliness and it's about hermits. It's my first book that's not really paranormal, though there are there are some hermits who told fortunes. There's one hermit that was actually mistaken for a bigfoot, but mostly it's it's my first book that's like, it's not really paranormal focused. It's the story of these hermits in their lives, which are super interesting, and it's based on my photo collection I started collecting photos of these guys from the eighteen hundreds to early nineteen hundreds. After my wife bought me one basically said Dell, you're like, this is like a wild man. It's like it's the hermit. He's like a wild man. You'll like this. And I looked up the guy and his story blew me away, and so I became interested, and I started collecting pictures of other hermits. So when I started writing a book, it is like, well, how am I going to narrow it down? There's way too many hermits, way more than you'd ever think. Well, just based on my photo collection. So almost every hermit, there's one or two in the book you don't get to see photos of, but almost every hermit you get to see the photo. You get to see what they look like. I did tons of illustrations for it. It's, my opinion, the best illustrated book I've ever done, and over three hundred pages of hermit stories and illustrations and photos, and I think it's a really interesting topic. We've done some hermit stories on strange familiars and people seem to like them, so you know there'll be a whole book.
Speaker 1: They're fascinating they're absolutely fascinating.
Speaker 2: That'll be before the end of the year. I'm done the writing. I'm done eighty five percent of the art. I have a little bit more art to do for it and got to get it edited. But it should be out in twenty twenty four. I'm excited. Excited. Had a book out in a while. I've been working on this one. It's been a lot of work on this one.
Speaker 1: I'm excited for that too. I like kermits, you know. I think that that's once you get into the stories, you start to realize how incredible the stories really are. You know, you'll find yourself kind of lost in it, you know. I was looking at one recently. I had a guest on and we were talking about the ancient past, and this guest mentioned a pyramid that he knew about that was on an island up in the Great Lakes. And I don't have all that information with me right now, but basically I looked up the island. I found this the name of this island, and like, there's a little community there. But it turns out the island is famous for this tomb that's there today of this hermit, and he was he went to the island to get away from, you know, society basically. But he was a healer mm hmm, so he ended up being these people like a big help to all his neighbors in that you you know, in in terms of healing and other things. So I got sucked right into it. And those those hermit stories are so rich.
Speaker 2: So yeah, And I mean some of them I couldn't find a lot. So some of them it's just a couple of pages.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Some of them are are much longer, you know, depending on how much information I could find on these these men and women by far more men. But there are some women hermits in the book. But they're so interesting and and I think to capture their lives, you know, these these people that could have been forgotten. They're sort of like people that walked away from society right easy to be forgotten. And I feel in a way like it's almost this responsibility. One of them, she's a woman. Her name is Jenny Johannica. She was called the hermit of Happy Valley. I believe Happy Valley, hermit of Happy I'm getting Happy Valley because the almis is confirmed, but anyway, Happy Hollow. She's the hermit of Happy hollow, and I looked her up, you know, as I'm doing, and you know, she's sort of famous in her area. I forget what part of the country she was from, somewhere I'm in the Indiana maybe maybe I could be wrong, but somewhere in the Midwest, and there's a I think, a little sign of her, you know, where she lived at this park, you know, like you know a little story about her. And I realized I may have the only photo of her anywhere. I found this photo. It's a Siano type photo, someone probably printed at home, and on the back written is her name and the name of her dog, because they're dog's in the picture, and there's no I can't find any other photos of her anywhere, and it sort of hit me the responsibility, like I might have the only photo of this person that's around these days. Anyway. I'm sure there were others before, but I might have the only existing photo of her. And I take that very seriously, you know, like I feel like, you know, there's the idea of second death right you die once and then you die again. Once everybody forgets who you were. And I feel like, almost in a way, like responsible for their stories and their care, and I've become very fond of these people writing these stories. And like I said, the seriousness of that when I realized, like I might have the only existing photo of this woman, that's kind of important. Like, I hope someone else cares, you know what I mean. I'll leave it to maybe there'll be a library or something that will care enough to want to preserve this collection, because I would be happy for that. I would certainly give it to an institution like that, because I think there's something here to preserve these stories of these people that could have been forgotten. And in a way, they were forgotten in their time. A lot of them people didn't care, you know, they went off to the woods and they they were either superstitious about them or they people barely knew them, or they made up stories about them.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: So as best as I could, I told I told their real stories. And I feel, like I said, kind of honored to do so. It's like I just fell in love with these people in the process of writing the book.
Speaker 1: Maybe your book will serve as a memorial to some of these people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope so. And there is an element of there. But for the grace of God, go I because, let me tell you, especially coming out of the pandemic, there were some times where I just thought, I just want a cabin, just be by myself.
Speaker 1: I was, I got I was there as well, and I was in that headspace as well as ready to I was ready to hit Appalachia again, hit the road and the head back to Appalachia. And yeah, but you know, as people I think have if if you can see at this point in the conversation, you do great research. I think you throw yourself into your research. You do you have an honest approach, and you have research that is fueled by genuine curiosity.
Speaker 2: I think I have a absolute love for research. I do. I just am connecting the dots I love, like, oh look at this and this is connected to that, and yeah, I absolutely love it. So thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, And I would urge people to go check out your books and your podcast. And you know, one of the things I didn't mention also is your music. I listened to I've heard some of your songs within your episodes, and they're great, some of the best, the best folk that's out there. It's great. But yeah, tell people where they can find you.
Speaker 2: So the easiest place for everything. Just go to Strange familiars dot com and all that contact information there goes to me. There should be links to our Etsy shop or if you want, like Strange Moliar t shirts or my artwork's there. My books are there, but you can get my books on Amazon everywhere else. All the links are there, my contact information, all that, so it's just Strange familiars dot com.
Speaker 1: Great, well, thanks for being here. This has been a great conversation and we'll have to do it again sometime.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, thanks for having.
Speaker 3: Me as always, break the mold, conquer the room, and thanks for listening.
Speaker 4: Controlling Shops station connection