Speaker 1: Let's start off with an email that says, I just got done listening to today's episode, and I am shocked.
Speaker 2: I am shocked.
Speaker 1: That all of you guys, every single one of you, likes Domino's pizza.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh love it.
Speaker 2: I think it's disgusting.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I love it, but I eat it well.
Speaker 1: We talked about this on the show yesterday. Welcome to the Minnesota Goodbye, where we basically read emails of all flavors from all parts of the country, from every demographic and all opinions, and we love the Minnesota Goodbyes. Honestly, I like doing this better than the show. If I could do Minnesota Goodbye all day, can you know?
Speaker 2: You know why?
Speaker 1: Cause most of the time on the Minnesota Goodbye, I don't know what's going to happen. On the show, a lot of the time I don't know. Like on War of the Roses, we tape it a couple of days in advance. I know what's going to happen. With group therapy, I don't know exactly what's going to happen, but I've pre read the email. But these I don't know what's going to happen. So let's continue, Okay, of the chains, Devanny's is by far my favorite. Then probably read Savoys than Carboni's. Little Caesar's is even better than Dominoes. Anyway, to each their own taste buds.
Speaker 2: Lol.
Speaker 1: So we had a big discussion about pizza yesterday, and I think we were asking of the chain pizzas, not your mom and pop local places, what is the best pizza? Did we come with a consensus or did we just agree on Dominoes was all really good?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think we all agreed that Dominoes was good, but also like our places like Devanni's are those I kind of thought Devanni's was local in the Twin Cities.
Speaker 1: It is local, But what I mean by like local is like you know, the mom and pop like Troy's Pizza Palace down the street, you know what I mean, not a chain. And you can't really put those in the mix because I might have a Troy's Pizza Palace in chan Hassen, but you don't have one in Oakdale, for example.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Well, the three that they listed I have never eaten at any of those reds of Boys, meaning are Carbonies. I feel like the only fast like fast food pizza. If that, if you could say that that I've had is Dominoes and Punch pizza. And Punch pizza is delicious.
Speaker 2: But it's not really good.
Speaker 4: It's not like comparable though. It's like not the same kind of pizza, which is why it's so good. It's like different and delicious, so good.
Speaker 1: I think one thing that everybody loves is pizza. I do have a friend, an ex girlfriend, that she she was kind of give or take pizza. She's like, yeah, you know, not really. I'm like, what, but everybody loves pizza.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't think I liked pizza until I was in third grade, and it was like a big ordeal when people be like, let's have pizza, and I was like, and I don't like pizza, and they'd be like, because that's a big deal when you're like eight years old that you don't like pizza.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: Isn't school Do you remember school lunch pizza being good or not good? I will start with school lunch pizza was always really good. I mean for school lunch pizza. It wasn't like by today's standards that if you ordered it to be like, it's not very good.
Speaker 2: Piece kind of bland. But when you're in.
Speaker 1: Five fifth grade school lunch pizza was pretty fucking good.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 3: I think it was good in terms of every other option you were given, but in terms of pizza compared to anything else, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: Urs was not good.
Speaker 4: Ars was not good either, and it was the rectangle that fit in the like tray. I don't remember ever picking the pizza as the option at school.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, she goes on too. I'm going to tell you one more pizza story. And this is just something I'm kind of proud of. I taught when I was I was a boy Scout leader. I'm not really anymore, but I was an assistant boy Scout leader. And we took the boys up to Rum River Scout Camp and we canoed down the river, and then we stopped and we camped overnight, and I showed them how you can make pizzas in a Dutch oven. A Dutch oven looks like a big witch's cauldron, kind of but smaller. And they thought it was so cool that you could make pizzas in a Dutch oven. I said, anything you can make in a regular oven, you can make in a Dutch oven. And it was just kind of a cool thing. So if you are a Scout leader, girl, Scout boy, Scout whatever, teach your kids that they can make a pizza in a Dutch oven and they're gonna love it.
Speaker 3: Dutch ovens are so heavy though.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, bring a lot on your camp. Oh not really, it's mostly for car camps.
Speaker 3: Okay, I was gonna say. I was like, Andrew just made something on a Dutch oven the other day. The thing weighs like twenty pounds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it really did.
Speaker 1: Another question, Dave, how come Susan never goes to Colorado with you? Is it just because of the animals at home? Just curious because you say you guys don't do a lot of stuff together. I hope that can change for you in twenty twenty five. She doesn't come to Colorado because, you know, it's kind of my escape and it's not an escape from her. It's just an escape. And she does come sometimes, But for years I've come out here by myself. I'm out here by myself right now and I really enjoy it. Like yesterday, I you know, the Orcan guys came, so I had to like clean everything out. I watched everything the mice had proud, you know, like walked on silverware, utensils, muffin tens, all of that. I had to find a place to put him because I can't so I always have something to do. I watched TV, I got on the treadmill, I took a great nap, And so why doesn't she come? She comes sometimes, but I think that just like sometimes a mom will be like, you know what, I'm going to go away to a hotel for the weekend. That's kind of me. I don't know, it's just and plus I love it here. It's beautiful and it's peaceful, and it's sentimental to me. Love. Let's see a special shout out to Vaunt even though he's not in the Minnesota goodbye. But I really feel like some people get down on him for no reason.
Speaker 2: Have a wonderful.
Speaker 1: Friday and weekend. Not really a dart liquor. So all right, Vaughnt's been kind of down you guys, because he feels like nobody likes him. Yeah, you guys can jump in here.
Speaker 2: Yeah you thought you were going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought you had more to say. I mean, I didn't know that he hasn't said that to me, so I did not realize that, But I have like tried to come to his defense on air quite a bit because I feel like so many people hear one little thing about him, which is usually stirs the pot, and he's always pretty controversial on that, and then they assume that that's the only part of his personality and that's like so unfair because it's not. It's a tiny portion and it's literally a bit. It is the point of the bit. So I've tried to come to his defense this last week to be like, guys, this is the bit, like he's trying to stir the pot. Like, if you thought about it really hard, you could probably stir the pot every single day yourself with some controversial opinion that you have, but that doesn't define who you are exactly.
Speaker 1: What was what was it that he was up because he does this like he's like nobody likes me in I mean, like, no, people love you, no, people hate me.
Speaker 2: But also Vont likes to be a little bit dramatic sometimes he does.
Speaker 1: And if he gets one comment or one text message that says Vants an idiot, Vauant's a manchild. Somebody called him a man child earlier this week, and he's like people don't like me. They call me a manchild, and I'm like, that's one person. Person. So because Vont doesn't listen to the Minnesota Goodbye, maybe if you listen, you can maybe send a text during the show and say, hey, Vaunt, that was really funny, or Vont he's my favorite whatever. Yeah, but you know, it just just to kind of boost him up a little bit because he's kind of a little bit down on himself because he thinks that people don't like him. Yeah, and people, and I don't wanna tell you this one. Vont is a really likable kid.
Speaker 2: He really is.
Speaker 1: He's funny, he's silly, he can be serious, he's a hard worker, he's just a nice He's a kid that's doing well for twenty three years.
Speaker 3: Old, super well. And also he's twenty three. We have to like remember that, like the amount of life experience he has, Like I feel like so much of my life experience in my thirty four years came in my like late twenties to the point where I'm at now. You know, when I was early twenties, I feel like I was still a kid, Like I wasn't really fully experiencing adulthood yet. So a lot of his comments will be about things like the other one the other day that riled people up was that you shouldn't you should get your present back if someone decides to get married a second time from the first wedding, and it's like, okay, von to like, how many weddings have you been to? There's such a lack of life experience for him to say things like that. And there's one thing I remember saying, Dave, when I think I was like either brand new on the show or as an intern, that I would absolutely take back now today at this point in my life. And it was my friend from high school. She had posted these pictures on Facebook and had like almost hennah or something creative kind of put permanent or semi permanently on her stomach for photos when she was pregnant, and I thought it was like too much for me. I was like, I don't know, I just feel like you shouldn't have to be like sharing stuff like that that should be private whatever. I would take that back times one hundred now at this point in my life. Show off your stomach. You should be proud of that. That's like a moment in your life. Yeah, growing a human and stuff but for me inexperienced Jenny, this is too much like why are you doing that?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so there's definitely things that I look back at now that I'm like, God, you're so young and young.
Speaker 4: I have way less judgment now than I did when I was twenty three. I was so more, way more judging and being like I would never do that, like, no, do whatever you want, live your life.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, let's be honest, though we do always get a little bit judgy when you know, it's like that is part of our culture. Is like if we see that our nephew spent his five hundred dollars tax return on a Sony PlayStation and he doesn't have a working car, you don't go, you know what, king live your life that you'd like another dumb, motherfucking thing for my stupid fucking net and so and that's what we do, right, And so you know, it would be hypocritical to say none of us ever judge, because if there was no judgment in our society, then everybody be running around doing whatever they wanted. So there is one of the things that keeps us all a society is we do judge. Like if somebody is talking really loud on their phone on an airplane while you're waiting to taxi. You know, you don't say anything, but you'll elbow Bailey and go, God, what a what a dumb ass?
Speaker 4: I feel like the judging that I don't do anymore is based on looks, like what Jenny said about, like getting henna tattooed on your stomach and judging someone for that. I'd be like, who cares, Like, live your life. If you want to cut your hair short, cut your hair short, if you want to have long armpit hair, have long armpit hair, I don't care. I'm not going to judge you for it anyway. So that's what I've given up. But like behavior, yes, I will dog your behavior. I will judge your behavior till the cows come home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we have to, all right, Moving on to the next one. This is from Joey. Joey says, good morning, Morning show crew. I've got some radio production questions for you guys. As a topic. When you guys are playing reruns of the show during Christmas and New Year's was anybody physically in the studio or was it all just showing music digitally scheduled play as I tuned into the throwbacks of the show as I get ready for work, I just pictured an empty, dark studio with computer just slave it away broadcasting the past year of Dave Ryan's show Memories. You are not far from the truth. It is really weird because radio now it's there's a way to do it without a live person attending to it. Jenny knows more about it.
Speaker 3: I mean, exactly what you think. What that emailer said is how it is. I meant, and Vont does most of the work at this point. I used to help a little bit more, but like we just kind of work on a schedule together and then Vont puts everything into a system and then it just runs. And so it's pretty much just like that. I mean, right now, as we're recording this, there's commercials running on our computer that are just going like minute by minute that we're not doing anything with. It's just how the computer runs. So that's the exact same way that our best ofs run over Christmas break or holiday or something like that.
Speaker 1: And it is it's it's in a dark studio and it's really I mean, I really think and this is maybe something the boss wouldn't want me to say, Katie WB was definitely unattended, probably for a week or so.
Speaker 2: Is that do you think that's acting?
Speaker 3: No, because Colt was in, he had to come in. He didn't have as much vacation to be off during that whole time, so I know he was in like a handful, well not a handful, but at least like three or four times throughout the break.
Speaker 4: And I think Vont was here too, and I mean I was recording stuff as well, so like I was here a little bit over break, but like we weren't like completely black but mostly yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's it's interesting because you know, it's it's a luxury and it's a blessing because it used to be when the morning show would go on vacation, let's say twenty years ago, some you know, part timer would have to come in and sit and change the CDs and change the recordings and change this and would load this and whatever. And now it's just automated. I don't have an analogy, but yeah, it's all automated. But it sounds really good and it's really smooth. But it's no different than if somebody was sitting in there pushing the buttons. But I'm going to tell you a quick little observation. I made this to Jenny, and I'm not sure Bailey heard it. So I'm in Colorado Springs and I grew up here and my mom and dad used to listen to a radio station that I don't want to name because they're actually in the iHeart family and I don't want to get in trouble. But this radio station has been around since I was before I was a kid, before I was born. My mom and dad grew up listening to this local radio station with like local DJs, and they would play local music, and they would do the weather, and they would do the sports, and the news and the farm report, and they would do all these It was all live and local and it was just a very sweet mom and dad Neil Diamond kind of a radio station, Okay, just very comforting kind of a radio station. And I hadn't listened to it in year. I the other day I said I was here in Colorado, and I said, Alexa, listen to blah blah blah on iHeartRadio. And it was so fucking sad because it wasn't local anymore. It was some far right wing and I don't care that it was right wing or left wing, that's not the point. It was just a depressing syndicated right wing talk show of a guy ranting about how politicians hired someone to start the California fires. And there was and it was all commercials about you know, penis erection pills and investing in gold and memory memory aid pills and hearing aids, and it was just fucking depressing because this wonderful radio station. One of the reasons people loved radio is because it was like from a guy across town that also shopped at the same malls and went to the same his kids went to the same school as yours. And it was a sin and it was in the middle of the afternoon. And I know, it's cheap. It probably costs that radio station five hundred dollars a month to run this program, but it was sad. It was like, fuck, where did the local radio station go that played that was so wonderful and comforting and now it was all about dick pills and buying gold and setting fires.
Speaker 2: So just an observation, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Manly stuff, dick pills start off fires.
Speaker 3: It's also sad because obviously Colorado springs isn't like some tiny city, you know. It's like I could understand some of the small towns in Wisconsin that I pass through where I hear like syndicated shows and stuff.
Speaker 1: Because they can't afford to pay for anybody to work there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 4: That's that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, it was just sad. It was like, why would anybody listen to that? Because even if you're a right wing I don't there's no joy in listening to a station that's only syndicated. Okay, moving on. Also, after the break, Joey says, I caught up on old episodes. One point, there was a mention there was old tapes of the show. Has there been a discussion of archiving those episodes and segments and making them publicly available. If not, I would love to volunteer as tribute and at least get them digitally backed up, as I'm sure there's a loyal market of fans that would appreciate the history of KTWB and the Dave Ryan Show. Just a thought to archive your legacy and media for the future. That's really interesting. But there are thirty years of archives that I mean, we probably digitally go back in our system. What we just say, Jenny, it's archives somewhere ten years maybe.
Speaker 3: Oh no, gosh, no, it doesn't go that back far back anymore. Yeah, we changed systems about a year and a half ago, so a lot of things got wiped in them. But we've saved everything that we care about that we knew we needed to save, So I would say at least probably like six years for sure, and then I can find random things from before that. But it's kind of difficult also because of a lack of honestly organizational system that was put in place back then before I started on the show. So it's very hard to find things based on the person who used to organize it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's Steve, and Steve was a wonderful human being, one of the funniest, kindest people you'd ever want to meet. He was not an organized person, and he would basically throw everything into a virtual box, everything, whether it was I mean, he'd be kind of like if you like brought your food home from the grocery store, and everything from your frozen piece to your baking soda to your yogurt all was thrown into one box. Yeah, and it's like, well, how am I going to find my baking powder. It's more behind the yogurt, Is it behind the frozen pie's?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's more like the banana was in the storage room and then the pairs got somehow put in the attic. That's kind of organizational system is with what Steve put together. There was nothing. There was just no guessing there. You were hoping you could figure out a keyword for the bit you wanted, and then if that keyword happened to be it, you.
Speaker 4: Could find it.
Speaker 3: But outside of that you couldn't find certain Thanks.
Speaker 1: Totally got it, and he wraps up finally out of curiosity. You guys, are ihearted everyone didn't do tours of the studio. I work in it. The radio technology and production has always sparked my interest. Would love to see how the magic happens someday if I worked it out when I'm in Minnesota. Anyway, Thanks for everything to do, Dave, Bailey, Jenny and Vant to make our days better and bring joy in an ever chaotic world. And we're gonna send you a staff writer sticker, So Joey, thanks for the great email. If you're ever in town, give me a heads up a few days in advance, and we'll love to have you come by and show you round.
Speaker 2: No problem. You guys got time for more? How we doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've got like six sish minutes.
Speaker 1: Okay, next one. Then this one says hy All. Wanted to share that I ended twenty twenty four with identity theft that I just discovered the third day, Nikes. Long story short, and thanks for making a long story short, because it is very tempting to write out a four page article on but she made it short. I sent in my passport renewal via email that's the only option, and some ass hat stole my passport, email and social Security number. Wow.
Speaker 2: It took me three ish.
Speaker 1: Days off and on to do all the things to try to protect my identity and cover my basis for the future. To the person who did this, fuck you. And now I have to make an appointment at a passport location to get a new one, which I plan to share my story with anybody who will listen on how messed up it is to have a male option only for something like this. Anyway, after a huge turn of events in my life, it has made me reflect on how messed up a society is we live in regarding identity theft. I think this happens more often than we realize, which infuriates me and honestly makes me feel icky. Has anything like this ever happened to you? No, knock on would no. But I will say that Susan's had her I mean it's a minor inconvenience compared to identity theft, but she's had her Facebook identity stolen. And I had another friend get there and they just really they just can't get it back, so we start a whole new Facebook. But you guys have any experience with identity theft?
Speaker 3: No, But I thought I was going to give my identity stolen because when I got a job at Canterbury Park, went in for the HR like orientation stuff, had to bring my social birth certificate whatever it was, and then I went to the gym afterwards and I forgot to bring my lock because this was a gym that you had to bring your own lock to. So for the first time ever, I just like didn't lock my bag that had all of my important documents in well, I go to look for it, like a week later, I can't find it anywhere. I automatically assume that it got stolen, so I had to go get a new social and birth certificate in whatever. Well, like a year later, when I finally moved, somehow this envelope got like thrown behind my bed. I have no idea how, but I found it when I moved. But for the longest time, I was like, great, my identity is going to be stolen. They literally have all my information the one time I don't lock my locker at the gym, and of course there's no way to find out if someone stole it because there's obviously not cameras in the gym lockers. Yeah, so yeah, that was a little fear of mine for a bit, but it didn't happen, and I don't wish it upon anyone, because I've heard it's a nightmare.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: No, I've never had my anything stolen from me. I mean, knock on wood. I had like one time, something weird. I must have clicked, like, you know, a link that I shouldn't have clicked, and I called like Google Support because I thought somebody had hacked my email account. And I felt like the number that I called from Google for Google Support was some kind of scam, like the like the number re routed or something, because he was like, oh, well, we can get we can go into your computer and find out like if if you have some kind of virus or whatever, but you just need to pay me two hundred dollars and I'll remote into your computer. And I was like, what is happening because this all happened at like ten pm at night?
Speaker 2: So did you do it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Because I was just like, uh, because I was also like a teenager. So I was probably like sixteen seventeen eighteen, and I was at my dad's house and I just remember being like I'd have to ask my dad, Uh, I don't know, can I call can you call me back? And so then I remember going like my dad was sleeping at the time, so I was like, can you wake up? This guy wants my information so I could get back out of my email. And he's like, don't do that. It's fine, Like it's not the end of the world. But because it was like ten thirty PM and dark, and it was the first time this ever happened to me, I literally thought that like, he's gonna find all my stuff and he's gonna take my all of my money, and none of that happened. The people ended up calling me back, and I just ignored the phone call and then nothing happened from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess there is some legitimacy if you get something that somebody remotely professionally could could like, you know, get access into your computer and you could watch their mouse move around on your screen and that type of thing. Our engineer's it guys here in the station. They've done that a couple of times. It's like, yeah, I can't get into my email or something. They're like, Okay, I'm gonna get access to your computer and you watch them. But I guess I would not trust anybody who would be like, yeah, I will be able to fix your identity theft. Let me just get into your computer and I'll fix it. Yeah, maybe they can. Maybe they can. So I don't know what the secrets are. I will say, you know, I recommend LifeLock. I don't know if you guys have LifeLock, and it's not cheap, but it's also totally peace of mind. They say their commercial on the radio says something like, if your identity is stolen, a US based rep will get it, fix it for you, guaranteed or your money back.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I like that because they say US based rep. Because let's face it. Sometimes there's a real language barrier when you're trying to do something with it. I mean, let's face it, Yeah, and we don't speak their language and they don't speak our language very well, and sometimes it's very difficult. So and then you know, and it's not a plug for LifeLock because I'm not getting anything free from them. But it definitely it's like that they find your stuff on the dark web, they will let you know that it's on the dark web, or if this password has been used too many times, or somebody tries to open up a credit card in your account in your name with your social Security number, they let you know. So it's kind of a peace of mind kind of a.
Speaker 3: Thing, right right.
Speaker 1: That's all the time we have for the Minnesota Goodbye. That was an interesting one. Thanks for being here. Send your email to ryan'show at katiewb dot com. A. We didn't get to yours. We had several that we did not get to. I'm gonna get to one more, just to make sure we get it off the plate. And this is from Brandon. He says, show recommendation high potential on Hulu. It is very very good. Just watch it and thank me later. High potential. Okay, Brandon, thank you very much. I don't know anything about it, that is it. Thanks for listening, have a great weekend. We'll see you next week on the Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Goodbye.