Speaker 1: Welcome to Stories of Special Forces Operators Podcast. Listen to some of the bravest and toughest people on the planet share their stories. Sit back and enjoy.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everybody. Today, we have a returning guest, one of our favorite guests, Dale Comstock. He's got a hell of a resume, so let's go ahead and start off with that. Dale has six degree black belts in American Open Karate and extension fighting with a first of you black belt in jiu Jitsu. There's a professional boxer, kickboxer, MMA fighter. You might remember he was also in Delta Force. That's right. He authored the Third Special Forces Group Combatis Manual in nineteen ninety seven, instructed the Delta Force Combatist Program and the Third Special Forces Group Combatist Program as well also competitive bodybuilder. It's actually too much to actually list on here of what he's done. Served ten years in the Delta Force as an Assault Explosives, Mechanical, Ballistic and Manual breacher, team leader, Third Special Forces Group as a Green Beret. You can find more about Dale at Dalecomstock dot com Dalecomstock dot com. He's also got a great book called American Badass, The True Story of a modern day Spartan. You can also find them on Instagram and I do it. What did that Instagram account? I just lost it, whole lot of folks. It's a official American Badass. That's what it was, Official American Badass. You can find him over there on Instagram. I definitely check him out over there as well. So you can find them at dale comstock dot com, Official American Badass on Instagram and his book American Badass. So we're going to do today. We're going to be talking about martial arts. We're going to be talking about self defense philosophy, about self defense and martial arts and a whole lot more and what he learned in the Delta Force and how that contributed to his martial arts training as well. Before we get started, you know what to do, Share, subscribe, hit that I like, but you know we like it, so let's not waste any more time. Welcome back dale Comstock. Welcome back, sir, Yeah man, thanks for having me back. Thank you well. We loved you the first time and I love you the second time. So this one is fascinating case. We're gonna twist a little bit the topic this time. We're going into more about self defense, martial arts, the philosophy of fighting, and the world of martial arts as you know, and maybe I'll delve into this later. I'll definitely deflop into this letter has changed a lot. It's just there's so many fascets to it. We're going to cover that in a minute. Well, first thing I want to do is learn what motivated you to ever get into the martial arts.
Speaker 3: Well, I actually started. My father got me involved in martial arts around the age of twelve, I think twelve thirteen, right, So I lived in Germany most of my childhood. My father was the US Army, my mom was German. And my dad came home one day and one of his soldiers in this platoon, in fact, his name was Sargeant Evangelista. He was a black belt and he taught shota kan karate and he he was just teaching karate on his own in the evenings, right, And so my Dad's like, hey, you know, my one of my soldiers was teaching martial arts, went on karate, so it's okay, And I got into it like that, right, So I ended up training under him, got my blue belt and showeda kan karate initially, and so that was my start. My dad kind of just got me involved in it, and uh and then as time went by, you know, I never study any more martial arts, but I certainly had a I had a pension for fighting. I was bullied a lot growing up. I was actually a little run But just because I was bullied though, it didn't mean I lost my fights. I was actually really good. I became a little scrapper, you know. I had my mom and dad's you know, tenacity and temper and so I never really I always kind of had a passion for it, and I can remember cultivating it when I lived in Sacramento. So I was in high school, and I was a loner, you know, because we changed high school about once a year, four years, so right in the middle of the year, we moved around a lot, from Germany to Arizona to San Francisco to Sacramento, and so as a consequence, and because of my personality, I didn't make friends very easily. I was very introverted, and so as a loaner and I spent a lot of time by myself. And I remember my dad, you know, he bought me a bunch of weights for the garage and a heavy bag, a punching bag, and I would go out there and beat the living dog shit crap out of this canvas punching bag. Man. My knuckles were always bleeding stuff, but I just had this I was like a little pit pool man. I don't know why, but maybe I was taking my frustrations out on it. But I really enjoyed punching the bag. And I loved watching boxing. And one of my mentors at the time was Sugar Ray Leonard. I just love the way that guy box man, you know, And I always had a vision of boxing like this guy. I really did. And so then I finally joined the army and went into the army. You know, again, I wasn't into boxing, but if I had an opportunity to punch a heavy bag or punch somebody else, I took advantage of it. But I remember, even in the military, there was a time when I was in eighty second we used to have what's called, uh like division field days, and it was just one day where you know, all the units would compete, you know, like for example, tuggle worre contest, running, weightlifting, whatever, right, and one of the events was boxing and uh so I jumped right in on that. I was like, yeah, you know, and they basically were tough man contests right between the soldiers. Yeah, you know, you know it was funny too is back then that was all cool. And then when we were all done, you know, you know, the division or the battalion storty of major bring out kegs of beer and we'd all get drunk drinking beer in afternute. You know. That was there was a time back in the in the Army when I was in, especially in the eighty second Airborne Division, that it was okay during lunch to drink three beers. You could literally go across the street pre lunch break at the snack bar and drink beer, right, and three was a limit. And also they had strippers on for brag, right, so you could go across the streets the Nco Club, you know, and eat your lunch, drink some beers and watch strippers. Man, how cool was that? Right? Now? You know, the Armies got back there was getting really woke and all this crap, you know, and they just made took all the foot out of it. But even tough man contest. But then eventually what happened was, you know I ended up in the in the unit in Delta Force. I really got into combatives with a lot of the other operators, you know, we started doing a lot of martial arts. We started building our own martial arts dojo's and gyms and and uh, that's how I really got into it, is because there were guys there like me that just loved to train and fight, you know, and box and wrestle and grapple, and and then that led to, Uh, one day, my son who was four and a half at the time, and uh, he loved the Ninja Turtles. Man. He was all about Ninja turtles and so, you know, and he was always out in the front yard doing karate kicks, you know, and Ninja turtle stuff. And I looked dot him one day I said, Jamie said, I said, you like karate. He goes, yeah, yea. I said, you want to learn how to do karate like Ninja Turtles. Yeah, I said, okay, And so I ended up taking them. The first place I took him was to the y mc HS and they had they had a taekwondo instructor there and we show up and this guy and so basically all the parents dropped their kids off and they went shopping and it was it was a daycare for them. So this poor guy's running around trying to keep all the everybody in what There was no training going on. It was just him trying to manage a bunch of wild kids till their parents came back. So I kind of frustrated with that, and I called another friend of mine. I said, hey, I said part man, I said, you know, I told him, iut Glemma goes, you need to call this guy, Jim Smoky West and who is a former Green Beret. This guy is a notorious fighter. U huh had a hell of a reputation in the army and uh, the guys are freaking amazing, man. So I call him. He goes, yeah, I'm running class right now. Just come on over. So I bring my son over there, and uh we walk in. There's all these kids about his age out there fighting right. They got these big, like woofleball bats with foam on and beating the shit out of each other. And he looks at my son, go out there and have some fun. Grab one's bats. So he goes out there and they're beating the hell out of each other. No, and my kids smile. He's having a good time, you know. And and uh and we got to talking and I said, what do you think, James? He goes, yeah, yeah, I like that. I like this, you know, he like four and a half man. And uh and so I said, well, we're in man, I said, I said, in fact, since we're at it, and I'm bringing my kid, gonna bring my kid to train with you. I said, I'm gonna go ahead train with him, you know, while we both just make a father son thing, you know. So that's that started my next journey in martial arts with Jim Smoky West. You can google guy on the internet fightfast dot com. The guy's amazing man, scary fighter, Man, scary fighter. H I mean, I can tell you a tons of stories about this guy getting his nose cut off and bar fights with bombles. Yeah he was. I mean, he was a wreck, but he never lost a fight due he was. You don't want to fight this guy anyway. I ended up training for him for years. I was only one of two black belts that he trained as fighters and that actually earned black belts through him, because in order to get a black belt through his system, you literally had to fight for it. Like for real. I mean we would literally go to other dojo's, close the doors, and it was a it was a street fight, okay, and no no point system. It was your skills against this guy's skill. Let's see what you got. You want to earn that belt, earn it, you know. And not only did I earn my belt that way, but so did my kids. Nothing like watching your you know, your seven year old kid out there, you know, fight with another kid to get his black belt. I mean like getting it on. It's like street fight. Your daughter, same thing out there fighting you know, another black belt to get a brown belt like I am. But we earned the belts, right. It wasn't just you know, going through codders and forums and looking pretty. This was we we We earned it, man, through blood, sweat and tears. And so it was actually through gim that I earned, you know, start earning my black belts. My son earned his black belt. In fact, my son got his black belt by the age of seven, started four and a half. Yeah. We were dedicated, man. We went several times a week. We trained, trained, trained, you know. And when I started my son, I said, listen, man, I said, here's the deal. I said, if you tell me you want to do this, and we start. I said, here's the rule. I said the rules. You can't quit until you get your black belt.
Speaker 2: Sope, we're breaking up a little bit. So you were talking about you made the rule, he had to get a black belt. He couldn't stop to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was you know, so what I require with commitment, right, and again that's all the life lesson for him as well as like, man, you know, you know, not only are going to get your you have to be committed to get your black belt, but really you have to be committed anything you do in life, you know. And so that's the pall with most people. They start something and they don't they can't finish it, and then they wonder why, you know, their life is a dismal failure, you know, they live a life and fulfilled. It's because you're not committed. And uh and I'm not. I'm not a listen, I'm you know, say what you will. But my kids have been very successful because of that philosophy. It's like, are you sure you want to do this, Yes, you're committed. Yes, here's the rule, and then off we go, and we're not going to redig on that, right, So you're going to finish it, and that's all to do it. And so if you want to get out of this, you better earn your black belts fast, you kid, the faster you're your black belt, the faster you get out of it. Right. But my kid actually enjoyed it, you know, and uh, and it really became a way of life almost. You know, he knew that we were training every day or every couple of days or every three days, and it is what it is. And you're gonna go there and you're gonna put out, you're gonna perform and uh, and you're gonna do the best you can. So that's kind of how I got into got back into in the martial arts was because of my son getting him involved. And then my daughter one day like, Dad, can I do it? And I told her it's the same story. I said, you start, you finished, right, And so you know, I got my whole family engaged, and uh, it became a family affair and so I you know, for me, it was not just enough to go to training every day and meet all the training task and requirements and get my belts and then my certificate. I'm the guy that wants to one, apply what I learned and make sure it works show me. Two. I'm always going trying to get to the next level. And for me, the next level was sort of getting in street fights and being a bar braller was getting in a ring and actually fighting all aspects. So I started kickboxing. I started, I started getting a tough man contest. I won the Gory Limit, a tough Man Championship. I wanted a bunch of tough man contests. Then I started getting into m m A. Actually I fought the first valley Tudo match in nineteen ninety six in Richmond, Virginia. Is a street fight, three five minute rounds, no rules, just fucking do things, do stuff entertainment. And I came out of that night with two broken hands. The other guy came out of neck brace. Uh. We beat the hell out of each other. But that's kind of what you know. That's the level I wanted to get to. I wanted. I wanted to not only train, but I wanted to test my skills and be confident that what I know is gonna work when the chips are down right. So I've probably had in my lifetime at least a couple of hundred fights, street fights, you know, a couple hundred since I can remember, you know. And uh, Now I don't fight as much. I don't have to because honestly, I feel like I'm so well trained that I when I walk in anywhere, I'm so confident in myself and my skills that I think people almost can sense the energy. And uh and nobody nobody harasses me, nobody bothers me. And uh now, at least on this part of the world. I'm in Bali right now. For the audience that's listening, I live in Bali. I also live in Florida. I also have a home in uh in Manila, so I kind of travel and live out with suitcase. But uh, what's interesting is on this side of the world, in the East, here people are not as They're not dickheads like in the US. Man I go to US, I go to a bar with my wife, it's like everybody wants to start a fight with me, you know, and they want to disrespect me and chase my wife. And so I gotta, you know, I gotta, I gotta put people in check, but not so much here. But anyways, my point I'm trying to make is I don't really have to fight as much anymore, and I choose not to because I'm honestly afraid I'm gonna kill somebody. I hate to punch a guy, knock him out and he falls and hits his head on a barstool or on the ground, he's dead, right, It's like, oh shit, you know, I've seen it happen, and I don't want to go down that road. I got too much to lose. So my martial arts I use in a defensive capacity only if I only if I need to, and I'll just use just enough force graduated response to call the situation and be able to walk away because I'm really that's my biggest fears. I'm going to hurt somebody, really, and not even intentionally accidentally, you know, but intentionally I can do it. I have done it. But there's nothing there's nothing greater than having that kind of confidence in your skill set, your martial arts that you can go anywhere. And I have that, And I don't want to use the word fear fearless. Okay, there's a big difference between fearlessness and courage and confidence. Right, So the courageous guy acts in spite of his fear. Okay, he's a hero. He's courageous, you know, in spite of his fear. Fear, he did it anyways. A fearless guy is too done to recognize when he's in trouble and does it anyways. Right. So, you know, we were all fearless kids. When we're a teenager who were jumping off the rooms of houses doing dumb ship you're not realizing, you know, what could have happened to us, right, and we're here to talk about today. Uh. I'm a confident guy, you know, in that I don't have to be courageous. I don't have to overcome a fear to fight people. I'm not like a crazy lunatic that fights fearlessly, you know, because that guy is, you know, danger to himself. I'm a confident guy. I'm so confident in my skill sets that you know, and I and I project that that uh, that confidence that people usually give me way and even if they don't, I don't lose my ship, I don't lose my mind. I don't I don't I don't go berserker on anybody. I'm very methodlo uh, methodical calculating fighter, and and I'm very efficient and very fast, and again, it's not because I'm superhuman. It's because I was dedicated to the training. I learned my craft. I vetted it, you know, I tested it. And by the way, you know, just because I went through a one A system doesn't mean I bought into the entire system. What I do is I'm an eclectic martial artists. Right, what works work? You know, If this works, I'm gonna throw this into my toolbox and it becomes a part of the system. If this is too bullshit, then I'm not using this, right, I'm not going to get hurt using something that looks good in the dojo but really doesn't work in a street fight. So in that regard, I'm an eclectic fighter. But I'm very good at my Like I said, my craft, and I've honed it over the years. I've been studying martial arts since i was a teenager. I'm still studying to this day. We're never really an expert, even though I may hold several black belts, you know, I'm always learning, and there's always a guy out there. There's bigger, bad, or faster than me, you know, And I'm getting up in age. So not that that's a because I will scrap with anybody at the age of sixty, and I know I can. I'll beat down most men that are half my age easily all day long. But uh, I know it's possible, so I avoid that. I've got a beautiful wife, kids, you know, and beautiful wife, and I don't want to jeopardize that by you know, I don't have to prove anything anymore. I really don't. So but it's you know, for anybody who's listening out there and you and you have kids, it's probably one of the best things. You know. It doesn't make it in the bullies, you know, you know, the people you know, don't abuse your skill set to go out there and beat up other kids on the playground. Let me tell you, man, it's great confidence builder for your children. It does teach them self discipline, It teaches them a lot of things, you know. And uh and when they when they're good enough that they had that confidence that I have, they walk through this world just you know, without fear, man, And uh, that's a great thing. You know. It's a great thing, you know, to have to raise a lion rather than raise a sheep.
Speaker 2: You're answering that. Half my questions all righty. They always had that ability.
Speaker 3: Then I like to talk, Manny, I'm the I always tell my podcast I was gonna listen. I'm the easiest guy you'll ever interview. All you got to do is introduce me. Just get up and lead. Go shop it for about an hour, hour and a half, get some coffee. I got this, and then you come on back and close it out. We're done.
Speaker 2: It's like I gave you a list of questions and just answered them all. But you make great points because you know, I was reading studies. I'm academic at heart here. But it was interesting because people misunderstand that because what I've read so far, anybody who does the traditional arts, whether it be karate, kung fu, jiu jitsu, the children actually tend to be better. They tend to be more respectful, they tend to be more disciplined, and if the instructors are teaching, that definitely improves it. The ones that are more problematic that so far that they found were MMA studios where they trained them to fight in the UFC or things of that nature. That did some of them ended up being more aggressive because of the that factor. But so that was kind of interesting. That's kind of what I wanted to talk to you, because actually, just two weeks ago somebody had punched somebody in a streets right, and he died and it wasn't even a martial artist.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing on MMA, right, So I always tell everybody, my students said, man, you can win most of your fights with a one two punch. If you can master a one two punch straight punches, you can win a lot of fights with that. Look, you cock a guy with one punch, you know, you can knock him out, you know, or put him on queer street with one punch, you know, and you get it all over with. Right. So I always emphasize that in factors I have a saying, advanced techniques are the basics master or the basics A basic one two punch right, A basic A basic base in your footwork, keep your balance and foot movement right, be able to be mobile, don't be a sitting target, and be able to shoot back with that one two punch, and you know, and most fights will be over in a couple of seconds. And so everything health like MMA is insurance. Okay, if I go to ground, you know the only reason I need to know, you know, ground scrapping grapping skills. So I get back on my feet and engage a runaway. Okay, I'll tell you why MMA is so sexy. First of all, it's got limitations in a real fight. Okay, if we're rolling around the street, fight Okay, there's no rule book that says I can't bite your ear off. Okay, poke your eye balls out, grab you buy your balls. Right, There's no rule says I can't do There's no rule says I can't pull out I e my spider colt out of my pocket, my pocket folder, and stab you in the side. Okay, therein is. And there's no rule that says only two guys can fight on the ground at one time. There's no rule says my friends can't jump and help you kick your head off like a football. Right, So going to ground okay, it doesn't prove shit, and it's it can be a real liability. Okay, you go ground with me. If I don't beat you grappling, I'm probably gonna beat you with a knife to your freaking kidney. You know. I mean that's reality. Okay, because I'm not gonna lose a fight. Because losing a fight that has bigger implications. You could end up getting killed, okay, just in a standard in a regular street fight, and I can share a story about that later on something happened to me. But so I look at grappling as nothing more than insurance to get to my feet and either run or finish the fight on my feet. Right. What I don't want to do is complete the fight on the ground if I can help it. MMA has has lulled to me into people into the idea that you know, grapplings words at right, and uh, you know, and here's the other thing. I gotta be careful how I couch it. So I don't sound like I'm racist, because I'm not, you know, physiologically. You know, some cultures, some races are better at some arts than others, right, like boxing, for example, versus martial arts, versusping, things like that. A lot of guys like the wrestle, right because wrestling doesn't take a lot of hand eye coordination, right, It just takes for the most part, it just takes strength, right, and agility and balance and and honestly, I feel like grappling it's easy. It requires gross motor skills, whereas boxing, kickboxing targeted type strikes require find motor skills and compound more skills. Right, So what does that mean, find compound more skill, hand an eye coordination, be able to target precisely your opponent with punches, strikes, things like that, right, Whereas grappling, it's just a gross motor skill is basically shoulders, you know, chest back, but legs right, moving a person around. So most people are lazy. They don't want to learn to find motor skills, Okay, they want to go to gross motor skills, which is easy. So grappling is easy for me. It's really easy to learn. It's very easy to learn grappling techniques, right, it doesn't take much, but boxing and kickboxing takes a lot more one. It takes endurance takes, stamina, takes behindhand and eye coordination. And honestly, most people don't like getting punched in the face, right, so they avoid it and uh, you know and uh and so it's easier to fight on the ground because you're probably not gonna get as hurt as bad so and I'm not knocking n m A. Look, I'm an MMA fighter, but I told you my reason is for insurance purposes only you know, I've trained with the Gracie Brothers. I've got a first sgree black belt, you know in jiu jitsu. I'm not opposed to grappling. I did fight, you know, a lot of mma fights in my lifetime. But you know, I'm being a realist, and uh, the real reality is you don't want to fight on the ground. If you can, it's like getting a knife fight. You don't. The first rule of knife fighting is don't get a knife fight. Okay, never get in a knife fight. Even if you've got a knife, don't get a knife fight. Everybody gets stabbed in a knife fight, and it just takes one stab, one puncture the injured life, you know. So my rule is always run away. You know. Even if I have a gun, I'm gonna create distancing and and then I've created this and I still can't shoot you because now you know, it's this whole graduated response escalation of force, you know, and disparity and force. You know, there's all these other legal issues that I would have to deal with. You're just better off running away with your gun, you know, and and coming back later on and dealing with it however you want to deal with it. But going back to the m m A. Yeah. So also the thing with m m A is it doesn't require the same kind of discipline for example, in the Chinese or Japanese martial arts. Right, there's there's there. It's a discipline sport. You go into the dojo, what do you do? Pay respect to the sense say, you know, the seafood, to the to the UH, to the dojo, to the other students. You know, there's there's protocols and why because it's not about just physical it's also about you know, mental discipline and and a lot of times that's lacking at m m A because MMA is more like a brawler sport. Why it's been glorified with you know, the UFC and and uh. You know, so there's there's that that aspect of it is lacking. And look, I used to fight club fights when we were when I lived in Fayvbrielle Man. We had what's called Thursday and night fights and it was at a it was at a bar, big ass bar, and uh they set up with a ring in there and essentially anybody could come in there and go, Hey, I want to fight that guy. It could be any guy, it could be or it could be me and the other fighters. You know, it could be a the two guys to have a spat across the bar about someone was like, all right, you guys, there you go, here's the ring, here's the gloves. Freaking work it out right and so and and you could do anything you want. You could box, kickbox, wrestle, grapple, jiu jitsu, write, whatever both parties agreed on. And I used to go in there and and I would just I would fight these I'll just fight these guys off the street, all these tough guys, you know. And I'd be like, Okay, what do you want to do. Whatever you want to do, I'll do it, you know. And then I would go in there, and my coach would always tell me, go, hey, he goes, you know, get to get a work out in and get some training out of there. Drag him out for a few rounds, you know, you get a work out in. So and that's what I did. You know, I'd take on these guys, these these you know, these tough guys, drunkards and assholes, and go out there and work out on them, you know, and then put them asleep. You'll put them to bed after that. So what I've learned is you know, winning a fight isn't about how bad you are, how tough you are, sometimes not even about how skilled you are. It's about how confident you are and how and how relaxed you are. Right, the more relaxed you are, because because I said earlier, I mentioned compound motor skills and find motor skills right, and gros smart skills. So find motor skills is anything below one hundred and twenty beats per minute. Okay. So for example, when we're facing stress, an adversary, a threat, an animal, something's going to kill us or hurt us, what happens fight or flight syndem sets in? Okay, and all these things and tactic cardi our heart rate goes up. Why because you're trying to circulate blood and oxygen, epeneforn or epineffrin, cortisol. Our pupils dilate. You know, we we get basically tunnel vision, We lose our depth perception, we're trying to focus on immediate threat. All these things happen to us physiologically, But the thing that's most as the most impact on our performance is our heart rate. When it goes over one hundred and twenty beats per minute. We start losing fine motor skills, we start losing dexterity, so i e. You get if you get in a gunfight and you're in fear for your life, like most shootouts, guys are firing rounds off left and right and they're not hit anything because what they're doing is they're using gross motor skills, which is over one hundred and twenty over one hundred and forty beats per minute. And what that forces them to do. Rather than finessing the trigger and pressing the trigger, they're scrunching the trigger. They're crunching it and grabbing and squozing really hard, which causes them the index the weapon left and right or pull it up and down, so they're slinging bullets everywhere. Right. We were not design evolution from an evolutionary standpoint to have fine motor skills because we didn't need to find motor skills the chuck is speared at a saber too tiger, or crushed ahead of a t rex with a with a big giant rock, or to run and climb a tree. We just needed gross motor skills. That's it. That's all we needed, right, we need to be able to even push and climb. Right, we didn't need help know how to pull a trigger back then, but now we live in a modern world where we press the trigger on a weapon. You know, our fighting skills have become more refined, i e. Boxing and kickboxing, things like that. So you know, now we're what we're doing is we're actually we're going against our nature. Okay, we're going to fight or flight, and you're gonna go into fight or flight. I don't care how good you are, You're gonna go into fight or flight. It's a question of while you're in fight or flight, how far in do you go? You know your heart rate now you're gonna let it go over one hundred and twenty b sprints. This is the difference between a professional and amateur fight. Right. The amateur goes out there and swings like a windmill because he's literally fighting for his life. Now, you know, he doesn't want to get knocked out, He doesn't want to get hurt. You know, he looked at the other guy going, ohk shit, he looks kind of scary. I gotta you know, the guy's a problem, and you can take care of this problem as fast as I can. Little needs to know the other guy's looking at him thinking the same thing. So it makes for an entertaining fight. However, as a professional, as you become more seasoned and more experienced, you're actually much calmer when you go in the ring. Your heart rate's not over one hundred and twenty beats per minute. You're operating, you know, very calm today. You're moving, of course you're moving, you know. In fact, the less you can move without getting without being a sitting duck, the more efficient you can be, the better you'll fare up and fair in the fight. Because now you still have those hand coordination. You're controlling the situation. It's not controlling you. You're imposing your will on the other guy. He's not imposing. You're in control of the ring, right, and that requires you to have a larger circle of awareness, no depth perception issues, no tunnel vision. Right, there's these physiological things that you need to be a control of the worst thing you can do is go into a fight, like for a ring fight, for example, in fight or fight mode, right, because now what's happening is you're already over hunt twenty pets for a minute. Tunnel vision that perception all this stuff's going on, you're not going to be as efficient. And it takes about twenty to sixty minutes to get back into pre arousal pre abrousal mode, right in other words, to get out of that fight or fight, to get your heart rate down, cortisol is expended. Nor if it takes about twenty minutes to an hour at least to get back to your pre arousal condition. And so if you go into a fight like that, you know you're already way behind a power curve. You've actually encumbered yourself, okay, with your physiology and your psychology. You let you let your psychology alter your physiology, which is now becoming an impediment to win in the fight now it has if we were trying to fight to kill, we're trying to fight to run, and I was throwing a spear or rock, that's a different issue. But what we're talking about now is going and engaging in combatings and martial arts, either pugure, pugilism, punching, hand eye coordination, kicking and or graphic or m m A. You know that takes that takes a plan, that takes it takes form and form facilitates function right better. That's why we practice forms and cordas right forms and cotters. What it does is it refines the functionality of the functional ability of our striking and movements and things like. That's why we do we're developing our nervous system. We're too differ for performance. All that is altered by fight or flight, and then the other thing too that that will alter it. And this is what I love is when it's anger, right, the angry guy, he's gonna lose. If you're mad at me, I'm gonna beat the love and dog out of you, and there ain't nothing you gonna do about it, because what happens is when you're angry is the fight or flight reflects right boom. So a lot of times when I get fight, I probably shouldn't tell my secret here. But if I think it's gonna go to blows, I'm not gonna wait for you to throw the first punch because that could be the last punch for the rest of my life. You know, it could be over right there. So I'm never gonna let you hit me first. But if I think it's gonna go there, I'm striking first. And usually what I do. And I don't know why I do this, but I've always done this. I will slap the crap out of you. I will slap you so hard. And what that, what I have found happens is as soon as I do that, especially if it's a bigger guy, and if I don't think I could take him out with one punch, if I can slap you several ways happen once. It's a loud slap, makes a lot of noise, and it's very disconcerting for my adversary, especially if other people are watching and listening and laughing. But holy shad, you know, okay that really that gets into people's head too. The slapping itself can actually have a stunning effe back right, It kind of shakes a guy up, It makes eyze water, it stings, it's embarrassing. You just slap them, like slapping a woman, you know, a woman just gets or some woman slapping you. Psychologically, I'm right inside the guy's head right now. And what happens next is they always go into a rage. They just lose their mind and I'm going to kill you. And I'm like you right where I want you. I got you out of control. You're no longer in control yourself. I'm imposing my will. I'm running the situation you're not. And this is where I win because I'm a methodical fighter. I'm a good counter fighter, and I'm calculated. And so when you lose your mind mind and you come at me, swing those white punches or trying to whatever, I'm just taking nice, clean, calculated shots, you know. And I'm I'm operating one hundred twenty pieces permitted a lower hand night coordinator. I'm taking some clean sniper shots that you're coming at me with freaking artillery and it ain't hitting, but my sniper shots taking you out. Man. That's how I work it. And uh, it's because of the psychology. It's really psychology. And so going back to initially we're talking about the kid. You know, this is what martial arts teaches kids is how to be in control of your situation and not letting the situation control you, not letting other people control you. When you're good enough and you're confident enough in your experience enough that you can manage a situation like that, you're winning, and then that that rolls into a whole other area, you know, family. For example, Look, I'm a You know, I'm a guy. I'm a man. Okay, Look I'm not You call me a toxic mail if you want. There's no such thing. You know, who calls you toxic males, caustic women, and costic baby mails? Right, So they're costing calling me toxic whatever. I'm not here to please them. But you know, I'm a man that believes that men should be men. Boy should be men. We should raise and be rough, tough. We should teach him to be men. And it's a man's duty. Okay. If he's married and has children, to protect his family, you should learn some kind of skills to protect him. If you don't. If you don't, I think you're negligent. Right, because we live in a really rogue and feral wall. Think about this. I mean it's a dangerous place out there now, I mean especially the United States. Holy smokes man. You know I don't go anywhere in the United States without a firearm on me, just because I don't want to get caught short anywhere. Goh sholl which I have my gun, but I don't have it and somebody gets hurt. But you know, I feel like as a as a husband and as a father, I need to protect my family. Even if I don't have a firearm, I need to at least be able to with my empty hands, be able to at least slow down or neutralize a threat so that they can at least get off the ax, so to speak. So it's for me. It's an imperative. It's an imperative as a man to learn some kind of skill. Okay, and listen, you know I love it when you know you should just turn the other cheek and walk away. Why so I can get kicked in the ass when I walk away. No, you know, get hit in the back of the head with a bottle when I walk away. No, that sounds good. Young that ship like that towards Okay, whimpy people, they say that kind of stuff. Walk away, just turn around, walk away. I will tell you to walk away. When you're at a skill level where you can really hurt somebody like me. I'll walk away because I don't want to kill you. Not because I'm afraid, but I know that if you press the issue and you come to me with my family, I can I'll stop you. I will stop you, man. But it's an imperative, and and so it's a it's a dangerous world out there, is why I'm trying to say we need to It's, you know, everybody needs to know how to defend themselves, even women. Okay, you know, can women be as good as men fighting? Generally? Generally? No? Okay, generally no. I would love this, There's I don't think there's any woman on this planet to keep my ass. I just don't believe it. I've yet to see anyone anyone is capable. That they talk is cheap. All right, let's talk about a street fight. There's no rules, you're you're probably gonna lose. Most dudes will lose too. Doesn't mean I can't lose, doesn't mean I haven't lost, but very unlikely. So. Mindset's a big part of martial arts training, you know, and I think there's a there's a huge benefit by teaching your kids martial arts. It's a huge benefit by everybody learning some type of martial art. You didn't even have to have a black belt, just learn some fundamental techniques, you know, like a one to two punch. You know, hey, if I hit a guy here and I stunned him because I hit a pressure point, you know, that might give me a second to break contact and escape. You know, Oh yeah, hey an idea poke him in the eyeballs, you know, and so he hadn't see it, you know, you running away, you know, kick him in the balls. But that's so you know that, So yeah, kick him. There's no rules in the street fight. Kick him in the ball, stab him in the balls, you know, when you win, to fight and live another day. And too many people they played by these notional rules that really don't exist. And then on the other hand, too many people are afraid to fight because they're afraid they're gonna get hurt or die. And there's another thing too, by the way, if you want to be a confident fighter, whether it's to the death or to escape or just to win, you have to resolve your own death. And this is what most people have not done. When I say resolve your own death, what that means is this, Are you at peace right now with the idea that if you get killed, everything's were taken care of, your families that were taken care of you know you, Are you at peace with what's going to happen to you? Are you going to go to heaven or whatever your belief system is, Has that already been resolved right in your mind. And because the biggest inhibitor for anybody in a fight, whether it's life or death or a street fight, is they hesitate because they're not they're not prepared to check out, they're not prepared to die, and they're not prepared for the consequences. I am done it many times, right, And this is what makes you a dangerous fighter, is when you fight because you're not afraid of what you might lose, because you already know you've already detained everything you wanted and everything will be taken care of even if you're gone. Your life insurance is paid up, your family will be taken care of. The only thing that's gonna be missing in the world is you, you know, and everybody will get along without you, you know, give them a couple of days and for some alcohol, and where's your memories will disappear? Right, So everybody's good to go. Think about that, you know. We don't think about too many people very long after they passed away. Every nound and then it becomes a fleeting thought. But anyways, the world of the story is resolved. Your own death, and that will go a long long way to prepare you for combat, any kind of combat. And if you don't have that. I've seen where guys in life and desk situations we're surprised guy was going to kill them, and all they could do is please please wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait. They tried negotiating, you know, let me negotiate really quick. Don't shoot me, don't kill me yet. Of course, the guy that was intent on kill him doesn't want to hear. He's just gonna kill it, right, And so at that moment in life, you don't need to be going wait wait, wait, wait wait, you need to be go and bring it, bitch, and I'm gonna take you out. You need your attitude's got to be different, right. You got to be in an offensive role right away, not a defensive role. So I'm gonna segue into something else. We're freaking. I should have let you answer the question. So there's more tenants of okay that should always be applied. Now the military, we always talked about the three tenants of combat okay, And this actually has its origins from the Delta Force. Since then, it's you know, it's become a universal if you will, and uh, these are universal tenants relating to combat, and that those tenants are first of all, first of all is surprised, second one speed thered one's balance of action, surprise speed, bounce of action. Right, you know, catch the guy off guard when they're not ready to do something they weren't prepared for. Right Why because you're gonna put them in what's called stretch shot phenomena, the deer in your headlights moment and they're trying to figure out what to do right while they're in that that moment. Okay, that and that is and that actually happens. Okay, stretch shot phenomena happens. It's a physiological we set that we go through in the face of fight or flight. But we want to overwhelm our adversary right away by one by surprising him, two doing it faster he can do anything, faster he can respond. We want to take him out. And three when we do it, we want to do it in a manner that, you know, we take him out of the fight faster he can even get into the fight. Right, So violence of action. I actually use a fourth tenant that I create develop myself on the fourth one is momentum be a fast moving train and keep on rolling over the adversary. Take him completely out, okay, and then one should completely neutralize him. Then you have the option to walk away or pick him up and pat him off and shake his hand or whatever you want to do with him. Right. But momentum for me is the fourth tenant, and that's an important tenant for me. Nobody that I'm aware of teaching that unless they got it from me. But those are my four tenths of combat, surprise me, violence of action, and momentum. Interesting point on the last one, the momentum. The idea where I got this idea of the momentum was when I was eighty second everyone that was. I was an infantry company and uh, I remember my platoons started started first Class Wilson, Vietnam veteran. I think he was with I think he was with one seventy third Americal. I can't remember now the first of the seventh. But he looked like uh, he looked like Barnes in the movie Platoon, right with scar down his face. He looked just like him, talked like him. After I swear to go up to saw with Barnes and he was like that man, very stowing but he was a warrior and he you know, and we were a bunch of young infantry guys. And I remember one day in the field, because we'd go to the field for like six weeks at a time and literally sleep four hours a day, you know, and the rest time we were walking carrying rucksacks, digging foxholes. All the stuff he saw in the movie Platoon. We that's what we were doing. And uh, and we were. He was talking to us one day because what we're going to do is delivered assault on a on a defensive position, on enemy defensive position, which meant we had to fire maneuver by squads and teams and uh and bound onto the objective and kill everybody on it. And he told us that the most important, the most important element that a fire maneuver element can never compromise it is they cannot lose momentum. They have to continue moving forward. So think of the movie now Hamburger Hill, where they're fighting up Hamburger Hill and then they got to go back down. They're coming back up and going back down right, getting repelled up down, up down. This goes on forever, and finally the place has just laid barren from all explosives and stuff, and you're sliding up and down a mud hill trying to get to that enemy they're on that dominates the top of the hill. Well, they kept losing the momentum, is what happened. They became decisively engaged and then had to back back down and retreat right and or withdraw. We don't say retreating the military, by the way, that's that's hollywood. The term is withdraw. Okay, we're gonna tactically withdraw. In other words, we're gonna run, like help get the hell off the hex. But don't use those word right, send us the wrong message to the bad guys. Hey, guys, we're just withdrawn for lunch. Okay, we'll be right by say so. But that's actually so, that's where I got that. I thought about. That's a momentum. I like that, you know, momentum. I've never forgotten that lesson from my Portunit Sardy as a young infantryman at the age of what twenty nineteen and uh and then when I learned about, you know, surprised me violence of action. Many many many years later, you know, I finally ended up adding momentum momentum to it because I started developing my own system of combatings, and so I become a student of war, student of whether it's war in a microcosm or war in a macrocosm, right, the dynamics of combat, you know, sun Zou, I'm son Zu dial and you know. And I started looking at these things, and that's how I came up with, for example, these four tenants, and I added momentum to them because I've taken lessons of the past, you know, from my own experiences and others experience, and I've and I've merged together and created this philosophy. If you will, uh for combat, and so it extends into you know, street combat you hand to hand man oh man to you know, more dynamic combat, you know, with weapons and firearms and you know, you know those types of things. So fighting is fighting, but to a degree regulated fighting like ring fighting has rules and there's no rules in the row wall and uh and therein is a problem. You know, you could be a great MMA fighter. You bring your ass out here on the street and I'll hand it to you because it's a different world out here, and I don't care how good you are. And if if you meet a guy like me, that's put people to bed for the rest of their lives. You know, I'm really gonna stick it to you, no pun intended, but you know this is not going to be an easy fight for you, and you're probably not gonna walk away the victor. You're probably gonna get carried away on a gurney, you know, the ambulance or to the morgue. But it's again, it's his mindset, right, So there's a resolution of death and moreover, this will to win, because will the means will to live in this world that we live in. You cannot go in anymore and just go I'm just gonna put the guy in the face. We're gonna shake hands. People try to kill you today. They pull guns. I'm watched it all time, man, study a lot of YouTube, and people just can't fight with just their hands and then shake it off with me. Friends, they lose a fight to pull the gun out and shoot you for losing. Right, it's like crazy, man, it's a fair rule. So we have to prepare ourselves for it. But then all that, I'll take a deep breaths.
Speaker 2: We're actually out of time. But you answer a lot of the questions. By the way, folks more at them at Dale comstock dot com and the book is official. I mean you can go find them on Instagram Official American Badass now Dale Before we wrap up. They can find more information about your self defense classes at Dale compstock dot com. Is that where they can go for it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you go to Dale compstock dot com, there's a I have a tablender there on like examp some of my trainings and things like that. It's part of Americana. I do provide an online course on martial arts. It's it's a ten month bro and it's very extensive. It consists of eight modules and upon completion, I'll actually award your first degree black belt. And it's not like you're doing written tests and things like that. It's performance. It's performance oriented, so you'll actually you know, it's live video. We go back and forth. I demonstrate it. I'll send you video demonstrations of it. You have to demonstrate it live on video and or send me recorded videos of you executing it. And not only executing it, but I need to see you teach it back. I need to understan, I need to hear you teach, because when you can teach, that means I know you know the top the subject matter, right, and that's important. If you can explain it to me great detail and demonstrated, then I'm confident you can teach to others and you can you can execute it right. And so, by the way, being a black belt doesn't mean you're an expert. It just means that you're an instructor. You're at the teacher level, right, And that's the point that being a black belt is you're at a teacher's level because there's no experts. Okay, I got six degree black belts, and look, I'm still far from an expert. I'll never be an expert. All the experts are dead. So I do have that program. It's centered more on practical combatis. In other words, if you're a law enforcement, security or you just want to learn practical pragmatic combaties martial arts for you know, you know a street uh street fights and things like that, I will you know, That's what I'm gonna teach you to include things like weapon retention, edge weapons. I'm not gonna teach you Filipino, you know, knife fighting and things like that. I'm gonna teach you practical knife fighting, uh, linear weapons, blunt objects, empty hand combat grappling techniques too. Right recover, we're gonna talk a lot about pugilism, throwing several types of punches. There's at least four h kicks that we're gonna learn below the waist, because everybody doesn't have time to become a taekwondo expert throw head level kicks all the time. It's a ten month program and what I'm gonna teach you is how to fight hot now, and it does work. I do have students enrolled in it, they've been in for a while. It's kind of we kind of work at each other's pace. Normally, I program ten months for the training. If you're consistent, you can do it in ten months or less, and and awards the black. I have other trainings they go along the parallel that to include things like close quota battle, how to use weapons, firearms in buildings, homes, home defense, shooting around vehicles and vehicles out of vehicles, to executive protection, to explosives. You got to teach explosives online and everybody's like, oh my god, teacher explosive. Yeah, well, I'll teach you basically explosives. Right, It's nothing you can't glean off the Internet. But what I do is I lay out for you in the same format that you can follow, and you'll understand how explosives we can Actually, the reason I designed that course is not because I'm training terrists. Most security managers out here don't know anything about explosives, and for example Indonesia, they're always searching cars and asking, what are you looking for explosives? Well, describe, I mean, what the explosives look like, and you know, and I can see that. I can see the little you know, the little cloud above their head, you know. And what I see is there's like rolls in red dynamite with a big alarm clock on it, in a coyote. They don't know, right, that's what they're looking for. And I go, you know what she explosives look like? No? Do you know what liquid slurry looks like? No? Right? So I teach that class to educate security managers and those that will be are interested in being able to identify explosive I don't teach people how to make explosives. I teach people how to identify them, how to expose these trains work. You know, you know theory if you will on explosives. That's kind of what I teach. So I had there's a bunch of modules on there, but I do teach an online martial arts course. It does work, and uh, you know, you don't have to go to school like a traditional martial artist. And by the way, I do teach with that teach combat mindset, which you know earlier I mentioned discipline that goes along with martial arts. That's part of it is to combat mindset. Not what to think, but how to think, which actually will accelerate your training. Program will accelerate everything you do in life. I call it psychosoma engineering mind body engineering, and that's actually the first class I start with is teaching you how to think and how how to perform. I will literally enhance your performance overnight with my program personally and on a professional level. If you have a vision of starting a business, whatever it is in the future, I can show you how to manifest that, and I can also show you how to manifest the performance you want literally overnight. You know, if you can do sixty push ups and sixty minutes, I'll show you how to do sixty five push ups by tomorrow without doing any extra push ups. Right, So, there's a whole system for that, and it's all based on science. Also, it's not so voodoo hocus pocus stuff. Everything I teach is science based and my experience supports the science and the science supports my experience. So anyways, there it is. It's dealcomps dot dot com. You can also find me on Instagram Official American Badass do mostly that kind of getting away from Facebook. I probably should get away from Instagram because they're tied at Facebook, but unfortunately our options are limited this day and age about. You know, these different type of platforms out there, But that's where you can find me moment, mainly as Instagram, and you can message me through either Instagram or dale compsuck dot com.
Speaker 2: Fascinator Right, great stuff, folks, dale comstock dot com. Official American Badass over on Instagram for now, and you can also look up his book over at Amazon dot com. Dale thank you so much again for doing this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, appreciate you having me on man got me woke up and got my blood circul Agent's old in Balie making my coffee and I'm ready to go and carver diem seize the day.
Speaker 2: For those are considered for those who are wondering Dale's over there at Bali at nine o'clock in the morning. I'm over here at five o'clock in the evening, so maybe four actually, Dale. Right now, I'm way ahead of you, absolutely many ways. Yes, folks, thank you again for listening, mature to share, subscribe, and hit down like button. Folks, you know we like it.