Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r. H. Garden Line with Skip Rictor.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Just watch him as many thanks to see bats.
Speaker 4: Not a sign credit.
Speaker 2: Sunamwe all right? Good morning folks, Good Sunday morning. We are glad to have you joining us today. I'm your host, Skip Rictor, and this is Garden Line. Garden Line. For those of you who are tuning in for the first time, well welcome. First of all, it's a call in show where we answer your gardening questions and basically my job or what I try to accomplish or three things. I want you to have a more bountiful garden, I want you to have a more beautiful landscape, and I want you to have fun in the process. So that's what we try to do here. We'll have a little bit of fun today as we go along. But if you have a question you would like to call in seven one three two one two five eight seven four for our first public service announcement of the day is it is time to get stuff done in the garden and landscape and the folks at Nelson's have put together a combination of really great products. It works well. I was out at RCW Nursery yesterday and by the way, thanks folks for having us out there and for everybody that came out. We had a really really good time. And I was visiting with someone about carbo load they had they had a question about it. And carbo load is a product for fall fertilizing from Nelson's Okay, So carbo load has the perfect blend of nutrients for fall. The blend you want a little less nitrogen, a little more potassium to go into the fall season with good cold heartiness and to come out in the spring strong. It also has a pre emergent herbicide in it, so that means it's more important to get that thing down soon, like today tomorrow because our cool season, we'd start germinating when the soil taps sit about seventy degrees, which we're pretty much there. We just need a little water on the ground and we're going to see some cool season weeds. Well that's coming later this week, perhaps the rainfall. Get your carbo load down now, follow the label, put it down at the right rate and then watered inn with about a half inch of water, so that moves the fertilizer down into the soil, and it also moves the pre emerging into the soil surface where it can do its work. That's carbo load from Nelson. They call it carbo load because when you put it down, your grass plant kicks into gear, being able not just to take off growth. We don't need a lot of that now, but to produce carbohydrates in order to capture those stored energies for winter and for coming out in spring. Carboloat But I know, anyways, explaining to them how some of those different things work. You know, it's important that when we're gardening. I mean, we don't have to know all the details and the science of gardening and everything else like that, but it is important to be able to understand some of the principles because when you do, then you're able to have more success. You know, it's not just one particular go do this or go do that. But why why do we do that? Why do we time our things applications when we do well? This is your public a service public Oh, cal let me try it again. This is your public service announcement Number two. Don't delay your fall lawn care. It's important. There's three things basically that are part of fall lawn care, and that is number one and making sure we get our nutrients down. The sooner you get them down, the more time the plant has to take them up before we get into cold weather. And as the soil gets colder and colder, the root activity goes down and you don't get it's good to take up. So get it done now. Number two, if you're going to do a pre emergent, if you have a thin lawn where sunlight is hitting the soil, if you've got a problem with weeds every year, cool season weeds are about to germinate, get the pre emergent down now. It's like playing baseball. That's my analogy for this. If you wait to swing until the ball is in front of you at the plate, it's too late. You got to swing when the picture lets it go. The picture has let the ball go, It's time to get the pre emergent out so that when the weeds germinate, you've already put that protection down. Third thing is if you have a lawn that's been plagued by take all root rot and by a brown patch in the cool season, it's time to get something down to protect against that. And the reason is once the circles up here, it's you know, you can apply it and maybe stop additional circles, but you're gonna have brown ugly all winter until it greens up in the spring. So get ahead of these things. He who hesitates is lost. It is time to get all those done. You're listening to Guardline. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and I yesterday was down at or over at RCW Nursery and we had a really good time. They put on a really nice event over there, and I was just noticing that, you know, they are always loaded up on different kinds of things. They've got the shrubs and trees, for example, that they grow themselves up in the planters bill area at the tree farm. And so when you go to RCW and you buy a shrubber tree or woody vine, rose bush, those things, you know you're getting quality plants. You know you're getting plants that are going to succeed here because they're the right species for our area. They have all the things you need to plant those plants. It's the root stimulators and other things fertilizers that you might utilize in that process. And they can also, especially for larger plants, come out and do the planting for you at your place. So whatever size the plants you're looking for, you're going to find them there at RCW Chris. They always have things like vegetables and herbs and so on. But this is the fall season so important to plant. And RCW that's the garden center for those of you who don't know where tom Ball Parkway comes into Beltway eight right there. It's easy to get too, and all you got to do is just go in and check it out. The place looks great. They're doing a little renovation there and it's it just keeps getting better. And so RCW is it's a garden center you definitely need to go see. And especially now. You know I was talking about doing things sooner rather than later, Well it is time to get things planted. When you put a plant in right now, it's got all the rest of fall in winter to get roots going in the ground in a very low stress time, and then when next summer comes, which arrives early here, it has a better chance of survival and thriving even in fact, So go out to arciat I we get those woodies that you think you may want a plant, like a shrub or like a tree, get them in the ground. This is the time to do it. Someone when I was out there was asking me about some of the flowers, the fall flowers, the ones that look good in fall, and we kind of have a double season in fall. We've got the season where we're planting our warm season. Like you can still plant maragoles, for example, they just glow, they're beautiful in the fault, and then right at the towards the end of that they overlap with when we start planting cool season. Someone was talking to me about planting dianthus and we were talking about pansies, and we were talking about alyssum and snap dragons and all the things that can take a little bit of cold, some of which can take a lot of cold. Now time to get that done as well. Well, I will take a little break here and I'll be right back with your questions. Seven one three two one two KTRH seven three two one two k t RH. If you like to give us a call, if you got a gardening question, we'll be happy to help you with that.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know santamultch down south of Houston. They're located on FM five point twenty one, just north of Road Sharon, kind of near Highway six. And two eighty eight. That area sana mulch is the the like one stop shop for everything you need to set the foundation for a successful garden. And there's some things in horticulture that are hard sells to people, meaning that it's hard to get people to change, to think different or whatever. One of those is fall planting as boasted to spring. You can plan any month of the year, but fall is awesome, and it's just hard. Everybody's excited in spring. We should be just as excited in the fall. That's one Number two. Build the soil before you plant the plants. You know, you go to a garden center and there's flowers and colors and vegetables and everything everywhere, and it's just like, yeah, I get it. You love that stuff, but you want to be able to have success with it. And your plants live in their roots. Just think of it that way. Plants live in their root system. So how good is it? Is it compacted, is it water logged, is it droughty? Does it have nutrients? Does it have lots of organic matter just to stimulate microbial activity in the soil. You get all of that stuff at cienamals, and when you leave cenamalts with that and you put it in your yard, you get your gardens ready, you have a thousand percent chance increase in your success when you put your plants in. So I'm talking about things like mulch is on top of the ground. I'm talking about things like bed mixes and composts to go under the ground. I'm talking about things like every fertilizer you hear me mention on garden line, Microlife products, the Nelson products, the nitrofoss products, the Medina products, you know, Azamite on down the line, talking about brands like Landscaper's Pride, black Velvet molts, like Heirloom Soils, Veggie and Herb mix. They've got it all there and they'll deliver within about twenty miles of their location for a small fee, So if you need to have them bring it to you, they can do that. But the main thing is just go get that done. Follows planting season, it's time to get those products that you need to have success. And all cnimals carries as high quality products. Their stuff is good. You're not going to get cheap molts if somebody rushed through the process and now it's just a problem for your plants rather than a benefit. They know how to build it, they know how to do it. They know how to provide you the tools you need to have success. So let's do it. Let's get it done. It's fall. Let's get planting done with cnimals. Here's our website, Ciena mult dot com. A simple as that, cnamultch dot com. Go buy there, give them a call. Maps on the website if you want to know exactly how to get there and all that. But the main thing is just get going. Let's do it. Time to get that done. They say make hay while the sun shines. I say, make soil while the sunshines. You know, once it starts raining, it's hard to get out there and mix compost into soil. But now's a good time. We got quite a bit a week here where we can get stuff like that done. All right. I just always harp on that, you know, it's soil, soil, so for But it's true, it's true. One day everybody's can believe me, and what a wonderful world it will be. Well about the horticultural stuff, maybe all right, Well, in Channy Gardens in Richmond, they're on the Katie fullsher side of Richmond. And if you've been out there, you know what I'm talking about when I say it is a sprawling wonderland of plants, it really is. You. They're on FM three fifty nine again north of Richmond, Katie follsher side. And here's the website, write this down Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. They've got a great website with a lot of good information on it. And I tell you, the Lendermann family has been in the gardening business down there since nineteen ninety five, you know when in Chenna Gardens first open and that independent nursery, that garden center, that mom and pop the kind we love here in the Greater Houston area. They've got everything that you need. They've whatever kind of plant you want to plant, whatever kind of bling you want to add to the landscape, whatever is seasonal for that time of the year. And also they had the products to go with that that you need. So remember when you take a plan home, take something for the plant's roots, home, compost, fertilizer, things like that to have success with it.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: They're open Saturday or Monday through Saturday from eight to five today Sundays from ten am to four pm. It's always a good day to visit. Why not hop out there this summer or this summer, this afternoon and grab some things. They've got a lot of cool stuff, including some really nice bulbs inside of their gift shop area. And boy, those are great for forcing things like m r ells for example. They just look so beautiful. Make a good gift too, if you're going anywhere for Thanksgiving, that would be a great gift for people you go see. We're going to go now out to Clear Lake, Texas and talk to Alan. Hey, Alan, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 7: Good morning, Skip. My question actually got three about leaf mold compost. Every spring, every fall I go over to Master Nurse three can get a picked up truck full of They're a good leaf mold compost, and about one third of it goes into my garden beds. The other two thirds I scattered by hand over the whole yard. And I don't know why I did that, scattered over the whole yard. Maybe I heard it from some on the guarden line anyway, a long time ago. But I've been doing this for about five or six years, and this past Saturday, just to set it up a little bit, more this. I mean the second Saturday of October, I did the Texas three step. So okay, So since I put down the eagle and everything else, is it still okay for me? The scatter the extra leaf mold compost on the lawn.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, it's fine. Huh, it's uh. It's it's organic matter that's in an advanced stage of decomposition that's ready to go down and enrich the soil. It's a lot of microbes, and anytime you put compost in your it's it's loaded with microbes that are helping those plants. You've got issues like brown patch, it may be attacking and things. So you've you've done with the three step. You've you've gotten everything down and done. Now throwing some compost on top, I've certainly done hurting thing, but in fact it helps.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, and then doing it twice a year, all right, spring and fall? Is that is that good?
Speaker 2: You can do that if you want to do that, that's fine. You just don't put it real deep. You know, you're putting it about a third of an inch or so deep.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, this okay gets scattered the follow up, that's it.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, all right, well, good luck with that. Hope you have a beautiful lawn. Thanks Kevin, Thanks Thanks Allan. I appreciate your call. Take care you are listening to Garden Line our phone number if you'd like to call seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two k t r H. We love feed stores here on Garden Line. And if you are down south of Houston in the League City area, when I say League City Area, I mean Santa Fe, Dickinson, Webster, El Camino, Real, Clare, Like Lamark Bankliss, San Leon, all those communities down there. League City Feed is your hometown feed store. And League City Feed has the fertilizers I'm talking about. When I'm sitting here telling you it's time to fertilize. If you're going to prevent, if you've got a brown Patch annual issue, now's the time to get something down. If you're going to prevent winner weeds, now's it. League City Feed's got all that. They've got it all there. It's it's an old time feedst or built over forty years ago. And you know, I love feed source because I just like the smell of feed stores. I just like the ambiance of a feedstore if you will. Uh, it's just fun. It's fun place to go, and they'll carry your bags out for you too. It's that kind of old time service. They're at League City Feed. But you will find what you need there, and I encourage you if you need really quality pet foods as well, they've got those always available there at a League City Feed. The phone number two eight one three three two one six one to two. They're located on Highway three, just a few blocks south of Highway ninety six in League City. League City Feed. They got a Dalmatian. Uh, they're one of the family pets named Rorshak. Now, I think Rorshak is the best name for a Dalmatian. You know, you walk into League City Feed, stare at the dog a while, and then tell them what you see. You know, maybe they'll help analyze what's going on. Rorshak for a delmat of course, you name it dalmation Rorshak. That's perfect. We were talking about with the Alan there. He said he did the Texas three step, and some of you may be going, what's the Texas three step? Well, it's Nitrofos's program that takes care of your nutrients, takes care of the weeds, takes care of the diseases. And here's how that works. Nutrients Nitropos fall special win riser. It's designed for building a strong turf plant to go into winter, to be heardy and resilient, and to come out stronger in the spring. Secondly, Nitropos barricade pre emergent that is washing down into the soil. After you apply it, it goes into the soil surface and it stays there, forming a barricade that weeds can't come through. Weed seeds trying to sprout cannot come through it. The third is Nitropos Eagle turf fungicide. If you plagued with brown patch, you've had that big brown circles in your lawn in the past, and you want to avoid that, Well, you get Eagle down ahead of time. The plant takes it up and it's kind of like our bodies. You know, you have antibiotics in your body and a disease tries to come and it says, you're not going to make this guy sick. That's what's happening in your lawn. With Eagle to our fundicide, the product moves in and it helps protect the plant. So don't wait until after the circles appear. Get it down now, all three of those right away. And I explained earlier why we get those things done soon. With fertilizing, you want the grass to have time to take it up and while it's still warm. With the barricade and the Eagle, you want to get it in the soil and in the plant in the case of Eagle, before the weeds sprout in the soil, before the disease appears in the plants. You're going to find Texas three Step at D and D Feed and Tomball Plantation, Ace Hardware, and Richmond and Hiden and Feed on Stubner Airline, among many many places you'll find nitro Fross products here in the Greater Houston area. Our phone here on Guarden Line if you'd like to give me a call seven to one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two k t r H. I was up at the Arbor Gate a while back looking at some of the things that they have gotten in. You know, at the Arborgate there's always something coming in.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: You go around the back of Arburgate, which is where that cool parking lot is. It's so convenient to get in and out just really easy. It's on Trishel Road, so you can it's a loop. So as you're coming toward Arburgate you're going to pass Treischel before you get to Arburgate, and then if you went past Arburgate you'd pass Trishel again, it's a loop behind Arburgate. Well, when you come in from that parking lot in the back, there's always giant racks of plants that have been coming in there on whe I mean, just like here we go a new set because they always keep up with the things that are timely for the season. That's important. You don't want to plant a plant when it's not time to plant it. But they also plant the species and the varieties that are going to do so very very well here, and that is important.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: I've talked to Beverly and Kenn and all the folks out there from time to time, and the enthusiasm there for what they do, the quality of plants that they have, and just the variety, and you know, most importantly, I would say, most importantly the advice you get. You can go a lot of places to buy a plant, but when you go there, do they know what they're talking about and can they really help you with issues that you have? Can they help solve those issues? Can you walk in with a picture and say, hey, I need something to go in this bed? It's just kind of blah. How they can give you a lot of ideas for doing exactly that and taking care of it, and that is really really important. Wonderful plants, wonderful folks and wonderful products. Why are you there? Pick up their one two three completely easy system. There's three bags. One is a fertilize organic food Complete, one is a soil blend Organic soil Complete, and one is a compost blend organic compost complete member. Brown Stuff before green stuff. Those three bags set the foundation for your success with your plants that you're going to take home from Arburgate. Oh yeah, also got to check out there that just want blank gift shops Awesome, awesome gift shops loaded up for the holidays. All right, time for a break. I'll be right back country swinging with a sleep at the wheel on a Sunday morning. Welcome back to Guarden Line. We are glad you're listening this morning. I hope you got a cup of coffee and at least one eye opened at this hour seven one three two one two KTRH. That's the phone number. And if you would like to get give us a call at a time when you're not waiting in line. This is a good time. It's got to open lines right now. Of course, if everybody responds to that, we won't. But right now, the first couple of people who will get a real quick service, uh, Quality Home products. You hear me talk about them all the time. They sell the Generaic automatic standby generator. Their customer service is second to nine. I mean you just look at things like the Houston Chronicles Best of the Best awards, the Better Business Bureaus Awards.
Speaker 5: The.
Speaker 2: Tens of thousands of you know ratings that are like I think over fourteen thousand and five star ratings. People that purchase from them and deal with them, they love it because they give that kind of service. And right this year, oh my gosh, with two storms that knocked out power for a couple of weeks each, that really got people thinking generators. People were very interested and Quality Home was prepared for it. I went a long time ago to them just to their business and look, you know, walk through learned about products and met the people and stuff, and one thing I noticed a number one they are prepared and they're ready. And so when this stuff hit and everybody wanted to generate, they were set up to begin responding to that, but it was overwhelming. And they're looking now for licensed electricians and plumbers to come on board and help them because at Quality Home they don't sub out all the contractors. They have their contractors. That's part of the reason why they give you can give you the service that they do. But right now, license the electrician and plumbers. Are you looking for a great place to work with competitive pay, with comprehensive medical dental vision, with the retirement plans that they match for a one K two by the way, paid holidays and time off, and really good training programs so you can grow your career. This is the place you need to look at. Everybody I've talked to their at Quality Home, I can just tell they enjoy what they do because it's a great place to work. Go to Quality TX dot com, QUALITYTX dot com and there you can apply online if you are a licensed electrician or a plumber. So there you go and for the rest of you, that is the Quality Home is a place to call for you to have complete service from the time you walk in until the time in fact pass the time that everything is set up and they walk away because they continue three sixty five twenty four to seven to provide that kind of service. The other day, I was out dealing with some nut sedge in my yard. Yes, I have nutsedge. Don't tell anybody though, because I'm supposed to have everything together here on horticulturally on guarden line, But yeah, I have some nuts edge, And you know, I produce that nuts edge to publications on nuts edge that are on my website Gardening with Skip dot com. And I was using my weed wiper, which is also on the website at gardening with Skip dot com, to apply some product directly to the nutsedge. You know, I didn't want to spend money on a whole lot of product to kill it and just blast in the whole yards. I just put it on with the weed wiper wherever nutsedge sticks up above the grass, reach in there and wipe that stuff on it. And I'll tell you I've done it twice now and I'm down to a fraction of what I had. When we come back out in the spring, I will see some because there will be nuts that never did sprout, and then they sprout. But I get on it fast, and once the nutsedge has three to five leaves, you need to do something because after that it's going to start. It's gonna have enough. It's going to have enough leaf area up in the light to produce a lot of carbohydrates which go down and replenish what the bulb used to create that sprout, and then enough for the bulb to start sending out daughter bulbs in all directions. And you don't want to. If you wait, you're just you're just making it worse. If you don't stay up with it, it's gonna get worse, and it will get worse. And those of you when I said, you know what I'm talking about. But anyway, I was out wiping. I do that about every over a couple of weeks or so. I'll just if I'm looking around and I see, oh, there's a little bit popping back up over here over there, I just get the wiper out Saturday morning, cup of coffee in one hand, wiper on the other hand, and there we go. We go to town, get it done real easy, and I will win. I am winning, and I will win and you can too against this pernicious weed. By the way, that wiper is good for a lot of other things too, Like you got poison ivy growing among plants that are desirable, or bermuda grass coming up underneath your rose bush and you don't want to spray that. We'll round up and kill your rose bush when you kill the bermuda grass. The wiper applicator is the way to get in there and get that done. It's easy to make yourself. You got anybody who's got one tiny, tiny bit, I'll do it yourself on them. They can, they can make one of those real easy. We make that easy for you our phone number seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two kt r H. Nature's Way resources is up toward Tombald. It's off forty five. If you're going north on forty five. When you get where fourteen eighty eight comes in from Magnolia from your left hand side, going north, you just turn right, cross over the railroad tracks, turn right again and you're there at Nature's Way. Nature's Way is a place with some really nice plants as well. I don't know if you've ever seen it. But they have, especially natives, but a lot of different kinds of plants that they have out there, and it's they're having a really big sale on plant right now. You can go everything, but the native sun perennials is on a great sale. Go through the end of the year. But the sooner you get out there, the better your your selection is going to be. But while you're out there, take take advantage of the fact that you're at the place where a lot of the well known soil products here in the Greater Houston area were born. So you've heard of rose soil well that was born at Nature's Way. You've heard of leaf mold compost that was that began at Nature's Way. You see what I'm saying. They John Ferguson his son Ian, They they have created a place where quality products come out of there to help you have quality results with your plans. So no matter what you're buying that you know when you leave there, or when you order it to be delivered, or when you buy a bag at a local garden center or some other place, you're going to get good stuff if it's a Nature's Way product, and the other the other thing that I would just mention about it is. Don't forget that every Friday is Fungal Friday, and they give twenty percent off their fungal compost, which is a really good deal. Fungal composts could be used for top dressing a lawn, for mixing into a bed. It's good stuff. And so on a Friday, that's your day to get out there get ready for that weekend by purchasing either going to pick it up or having it delivered some fungal compost. Time for me to take a little break. Now, I'll be right back, folks. We are going to continue here on Guardline with your questions. All right back here at Garden Line, we're ready to go. Seven three two one two k t RH if you'd like to give us a call. If you I've been looking at your landscape and it is like looks horrible coming out of summer, or maybe just for a couple of years now, you've been thinking, you know, it's kind of boring. What can I do to spice this up? Call Greenpro? Call Greenpro or go to their website greenpro dot net. I'm telling you, the one thing you do that makes your lawn just pop is that it's kind of a combo thing is aerration and compost top dressing. If you've got a loan that's struggling and it's like what can I do, well, call Greenpro They'll come out. They'll do a quality core aerration. That means they pop the cores out of the soil and eve on the surface. That's how you do it, not just those rental things that press the soil open, compacting the sides of the hole. They come out with really heavy duty equipment that I don't mean heavy duty equipment that can get the job done like you just can't do yourself. And then they come out with the compost spreaders to put that over the top. And when you do that, you got a in the soil, you got roots thriving. It's again, it's all about the soil. Even your lawn is all about soil quality and nutrient content, and Greenbroke can do that. They serve a forty five mile area for magnolia. So the easiest way to think about it is if you take Interstate forty five north and I ten west, that northwest quadrant of Houston area, that's what they serve. So that would be all the way up in Conroe and Willison Woodland, Cyprus, spring Over and Magnoliam Montgomery and then down Katie West Houston. You get the idea central Houston. If from now through fall, this is a special deal. If they will aerate your lawn for free if you purchase the compost top dressing service. So there's a two yard minimum. Don't just say well I need only one yard. Come all the way to timbuck to and now the two yard minimum and then they come out, they do the aer ration and the compost stop dressing. Their prices start at five point seventy five plus tax depends on how big area is. You can go to Greenpro dotting at the website or you can call them to eight one three five one three. Let's go out and out of Pairland. We're going to talk to Jason. Hey, Jason, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 9: Hey, good morning, Skip, Thank you very much for taking my call. Got a small home in uh in the Pearland area, and about within the last four to six weeks, I'm seeing our grass started getting getting brown, started dying off, and our oak tree in the front some of the leaves started dropping and I noticed on the back of the leaves on the oak tree is some yellow fuzz. I really don't know any better way to describe it. But all season plans for all season is where I always purchase and try to follow the schedule. So within the last four weeks we've done the uh, the car belowed barricade, and the brown patch and the and they had also had some kind of a and I can't pronounce it, but it's it's similar to the bug out match, but it's a different things product. So, okay, I need some help. I don't know what to do now.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, first of all, I have good news. You don't need to worry about those oak leaves. That is a little insect called a gall wasp that did that, and they there are different kinds of gall wasps. Some people to find these little round wooden balls on their oak trees. There's some little red things, little red slick balls that are underneath the leaf. And then this little fuzzy one that you're describing. Those are all caused by a little wasp that lays an egg inside the leaf tissue. And because of the the the actions of the plant and then what's the insects putting out? It causes that little gall to grow, but it's essentially of no harm to the tree. I mean it. You know if you had a little young tree and every single leaf was falling off because of it, Okay, yeah, But basically they're part of nature. They're out there. We just notice some when the leaves fall off and stuff. But you don't have to worry about that. Excellent peace of mind. I appreciate it very much, sir, peace of mind. You bet, you bet. Thanks for the call, Jason, take care you you bet. If you're in the Heights area, you already know about Buchanans native plants. But Buchanans is just a It's an awesome place. You know. They have every kind of it says native plants in the name, but they have every kind of plant from houseplants to fruit trees. Do you name it? But Texas Natives is what they specialize in it. I don't know anyone that has the selection that Buchanans does. For example, when you go in, you may say, you know what, I want some native plants to attract wildlife, or I want some native plants to support our birds, the ones that live here and the ones that migrate through. They can direct you to those. Do you need native plants that are for shady areas? Do you need native plants that you want a plant that are more on the zero side, meaning they can take drought better than other plants. Do do you want to hedge or something for privacy? They can set you up with natives for all those characteristics. You know, native plants are crucial in our ecosystems and important to support these birds and things like our native bees, moths, and butterflies that are here. And Buchanans is a place to get them. You've got a easy, easy access. They are on Eleventh Street and the Heights, and when you go in there, you will be very impressed with the kinds and the variety of things that they carry. And oh my gosh, go in the gift shop. Christmas is already arriving at the Buchanans gift shop and you got to check out the things they have there. I'm going to head now out to Galleria area and talk to guitar Dave.
Speaker 10: All right, Dave, Well, anyway, meanwhile, back at the ranch, you know, like when I was a kid, we had sixty two acres, sixteen cows, a bull and a horse and everything else. And I remember when we were planting corn purple hull peas, corn purple hull peas. And then one of the things my mom was always telling us is she swore by thirteen thirteen thirteen fertilizers and and but I mean my question is, you know, my dad would go out there with the once the cows were out there doing their business, then he would go out there with a disk and get that all in to the ground. And then every year we would mark where we did the corn and the purple hole peas, and then we changed the rows because I think the way we were taught that the nutrients from the purple old peas helped the corn, and like you know, vice versa. All right, Hello, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, yeah, I'm here. What's your question?
Speaker 10: Well, I mean, is that well, I mean, and then my mom told us about the manure or stuff like that, don't put it too close around a plant because it'll burn the roots or something like that.
Speaker 2: Huh you think, all right, so manure, Yeah, let me just address those things. A manure straight manur can cause damage to plant roots and I guess a tender stem if you put too much. Some miners are we say very hot, and that would be like poultry maneuver that that's tons of nitrogen and things like that in it. Other things like horse and cattle especially, they're they're kind of on the other end, not as potent and strong. The main thing with manure we worry about in an edible garden, though, is you can have some human diseases like salmonella and E. Coli and whatnot, and so if that splashes up onto your tomatoes or lettuce leaves or things like that. That's why even organic gardeners cannot use fresh manure that's not being composted for a very appropriate and long period of time.
Speaker 10: Golly, I got a question about my fig tree out here. You know it's actually it's a fig bush now, But what do I do about when the leaves start turning kind of yellows?
Speaker 2: Looking, all right, let's let's address that. And you're gonna hear music in just a second, and that'll be the end of this segment. EIGs get yellow leaves when they're stressed from a drought, from excessive nematodes on the roots, You'll get older leaves turning yellow and falling. It could also be a sign of extremely poor soil. But figs are pretty tough. They're not divas that need lots of fertilizer. The other thing that can cause that is a disease called rust that gets on the leaves and there's really not a practical control for that. But figs are tough.
Speaker 10: I appreciate everything, Man, Thanks for you. Thanks for Stephania Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks, thanks, appreciate that. Dave, take care all right, here we go. We are going to another break at the top of the hour. Guess where I'm gonna be next Saturday. Next Saturday, get this on your calendar. I'm gonna be at Katie Hardware out there in Katie, Texas. I'm going to tell you more about it as we go through the show this morning, but I'll be there from twelve to two Katie Hardware out in Katie, Texas. So all of you out that direction, Katie and all over there, come on, make plans, come out to see me, bring me some samples. We're gonna be having lots of good giveaways and as always, a good time leading you and basically helping you have a more pountiful garden than a beautiful landscape.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kat r h garden line with Skip Richter's.
Speaker 7: Trip.
Speaker 3: Just watch him as see.
Speaker 7: A side.
Speaker 5: Sun.
Speaker 2: Good Sunday morning, Good Sunday morning, on what's going to be a beautiful day out there. I hope this afternoon you got some plans to get out and about get a few things done in the landscaping in the garden. You know, if you've never planted a vegetable garden, why not do one this year? And when I say that, I'm not talking about you plowing up the back forty and turn in your yard into mixed up dirt. I'm talking about any kind of gardening that is at the level and the extent that you are interested in. For example, I've never grown anything for I'm going to get a five gallon bucket, droll holes in the bottom, put good soil in it, and grow a broccoli plant. I mean, it could be a container. It could be a nice bed. You know, one of those store bought beds that you fill up with quality mix. I've got one that we put. We put a veggo bed on our patio in the back, kind of an L shaped bed, and it's filled with a good quality mix. And my wife has a lot of our flowers and vegetables. You've got some broccoli in there right now, but those are very attractive. And rather than getting a rottailer out, we just dropped this thing on the ground, put it together, filled it with soil, and here we go. And you can garden that way. Now, if you want to plow up the back forty of course you can do that too, but make it easy on yourself. But above all, do something, grow something. Some of the best most health promoting vegetables you can grow all year you grow this season. And that would be things like kale and broccoli, the cruciferous plants, the blue leafed vegetables, the coal crops, those are all. They're all that describing the same thing. Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, coabbie, kale, collareds. What am I leaving out? I think, well that's enough for right now. Anyway. Those are excellent for your health and they grow easy. How about carrots. Carrots are excellent for your health, and they grow in the cool season. In fact, they like to be a little bit cooler than it is right now to grow. So a good container with some depth, maybe ten inches of depth or so, can grow some really good carrots and we've done that before. How about other greens like Swiss charred or beats which we get the tops and the bottoms the greens and the swollen root for the beats. When I do that this year, that's kind of my I don't want to say challenge. That's a little corny, but that's what I would encourage you to consider. And if you've got kids, please consider it because as youth grow up growing food that number one. When you grow it, you're more likely to eat it. And our number one health problems are due to what we put in our mouth and our lack of activity. And gardening solves both. You know that thing that says every thirty minutes, get up, leave your desk, walk around for a minute, come back and sit down. That's true. What have I going out in the guard now? That is really true? And you know, rather than fast food and processed foods, healthy stuff, you grow yourself and you can and we'll help you do it. Here so well are independent garden centers all over the Greater Houston area that are stocked with plants and that are loaded with good advice people that know what they're talking about to help you have success. All right, Well, there was a little soapbox, but I believe it. I hope you will believe it too. While Birds Unlimited is the place I go for all the things related to birds that I do. If you need a bird house, if you need a bird feeder, if you need advice on birds especial, boy, they they know what they're talking about. If you are looking, you know, for quality bird food. You know, the winter season, as we're going into fall and then eventually winter, the day length, the day length gets shorter and shorter, and in that there's less time for birds to be out there finding food and a high quality food like Wildbirds Unlimited Winter super Blend that would be a great choice for this season because it's packed with bat and protein to help those birds out. It's still very dry out there. I know maybe at the end of the week we're going to get some rain, but every day of the year a bird has to drink water, So I don't care if it's December and cool outside, where are they going to get water? And if you make that war in your yard, they'll come to your yard. And that's why we want to put bird feeders and things out to attract birds. Water is one of the simplest way to do it. Warbird's Unlimited encourages you to leave a small hummingbird feeder filled out there through the holidays. You might be lucky enough to have one of these rufous hummingbirds. A lot of the rufous birds, they basically migrate all the way down to Mexico. Some of them come along the Gulf coast and hang out here for the winter, so we can still have one of that type of hummingbird still around. Wibirds Unlimited, WBUT dot com forward slash Houston. We'll give you the six stores here in the Greater Houston area. WBU dot com forward slash Houston. You are listening to Gardenline. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and our phone number here if you'd like to give me a call. Seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two five eight seven four. Microlife has put together an outstanding list of products that are just perfect for the things you need to do to make the brown stuff richer for the plants that you put in it browns up in the soil. Microlife specializes in providing additional microbes and the things that microbes like to eat if you will, uh, so that those nutrients can get released to your plants. They also have a product now the fall. The fall fertilization from microlife is called brown patch. The bag of round patch is what you put out in the fall to provide those nutrients to your lawn. I would add to that especially the season micro grow bioanoculan. And this product has sixty three different beneficial microbes. And I'm looking here at the list of strains that are in it, and I mean there's some microbes here that are famous for what they do. A trichoderma microbe, for example. Their products you buy the commercial growers will buy to put in soil so that their little seedlings don't get root rot, and Trachoderma is in those because it helps fight root disease on those seedlings. There's other things like basilla subtlest. Basilla subtlest is sold in a bottle of liquid that you spray on your plants to fight disease. These are microbes that are in micro grow, sixty three different ones. I just told you about two put out a bag of micro grow. It goes out at a super low rate. It's not like fertilizing rate. So we're talking about you know, five to ten pounds per thousand square feet, and if you've got a lot of problems, you know, you can take that up to twenty pounds. But anytime you're wanting to improve the situation in the soil and on the plant surface, getting these products down from micro especially this micro grow in this specific situation, I would recommend you do that. You can find Microlife all over town. Just go to Microlife Fertilizer dot com. You can find out where to get it. But I can just tell you this, if it's a garden center, if it's a feed store, if it's an Ace hardware store, if it's Southwest Fertilizer, all those kinds of places, and also Cienemulch too. As Carrius. That all right, time for me to take a break. I'll be right back with your calls. If you want to call now and get on the board, you can be first up. Seven one three two one two KTRH. Welcome back to garden Line, folks. Good to be back with you. I tell you it is early in the morning right now, and I congratulate you for being up listening to garden Line. But I'm telling you today is going to be a great day, and I hope this afternoon you will get out and do some gardening, maybe some garden shopping. The garden centers right now or oh, they're beautiful loaded with fall color. They are just brimming to the top and starting to get a lot of winter color into a lot of good options for that. You know, we have four seasons a year here, like they do everywhere. Ours are different. You know, Summer is basically what ten months, Winter is about five days and fall in spring total of the rest of the time. No, seriously, though, every season there are flowers that do well, and there's foliage that does well. Don't forget foliage too, and so when wintertime comes, there's no reason not to have beautiful color in your landscape. There's a lot of ways we can go about that. But things like pansies and viola's everybody knows about those. Listen, snap dragons. Nastciam is one some people to grow those colendulas do well in the cool season, Dusty Miller. It's kind of a silvery plant, looks really good with blue flowers like blue iolas and things. There's a lot of cool color plants that we can put out there. Ornamental kale, there's a there are a number of kales that and cabbage too, that they're just grown for ornament because of the colors in the foliage. There's an edible kale that actually I guess all of it technically is edible, but there's one that is a very burgundy colored one that's really beautiful. I would like to call it maroon as a matter of fact, but it is a gorgeous, gorgeous little plant that looks good in the landscape, and in the spring when it bolts and sends up yellow flowers, it's even prettier. Then it's everything changes and suddenly from a little short plant, now you've got a big tall bloomstalks and things on it. Take advantage of that. And to do that first you got to get the soil right. So that's something to focus on. First, get the soil right, and then go out and get some quality plants. You know, a place like Plants for All Seas. For example, they're on two forty nine, right just north of Luetta on two forty nine, right there. It's easy to get in and out. They've been around since nineteen seventy three, and so everybody in that region knows them. I mean they're well known, a very very popular place because when you go there, they've got all the products you need to have success. You know, you hear me talk about a fertilizer or a soil here on Guardline, they're going to have them at Plants for all seasons. Then you hear me talk about plants. Well, no matter what it is, from your cool seasoned vegetables that I was encouraging you to get in plant earlier to herbs. Now fall is a great time for almost all herbs. Basils an exception, but I mean all of these perennial herbs, you know, time and rosemary and marjoram and oh gosh, what am I regano and I could just go on and on, chives and different things. Now's the time to get those planted. They got them at Plants for All seasons. If you need help with a problem, you can take a picture or a sample in there. They can help you with. That's the here's the phone number. You need to write this down because you'll need to give them a call. Seven or excuse me, two eight, one, three, seven, six sixteen forty six two eight one three seven six one six four six plants for all seasons. You are gonna take pride in your landscape when you start using their plants and taking their advice. To have that kind of success in your landscape, you need to visit. If you have a brown thumb and you won't turn it green, you need to visit plants for all seasons. If you've got a green thumb, well they'll make it greener. How about that you're listening to garden Line our phone number if you would like to give us a call and actually right now be top of the list. Seven one three two one two k t R eight seven one three two one two k t RH. So if you got a gardening question, this would be a good time to ask that question. I was talking earlier about airlom soils, the fact that some of the airlom cel products are available down there at Cnmulch Well airlom soils. If you go up to the Porter area, that's the soil yard up there, we're on rock and malts and airlom soils up in Porter they are I guess the source. I would say of a wide variety of quality products that are available in a wide range of places. It's hard to find places where you're not going to have somewhere nearby that you're going to find those airlom soil products. And we're talking about the kinds of things that make your garden successful, that make your landscape successful. For example, are you going to put in shrubs this fall or roses a type of shrub. How about the roses and bloomers blend that is an excellent soil for that. How about citrus mix. Fruit Berry and citrus mix is what it's called very good for all of those kinds of plants. They got landscape bed mixes. They've got the veggie and herb mix that is just pretty much good for anything growing like that that you're going to eat. I use the cactus, some succulent. My wife loves strings, strings of pearl, strings of We have strings of everything, strings of stuff. I didn't know there were strings of anyway, it's growing that you should see them. They look beautiful and they're growing in airloom soils. Cactus and succulent soil mix. They got the standard potting soil called the works. And then if you've got heavy clay expanded shale. You got to put expanded shell down. Compost improves a clay, but in time compost breaks down. So having expanded shale also in there with it, it's like hot I think of this. This isn't a totally accurate but it'll give you the right idea. If you take kitty litter and fire it in an oven so hot that it expands and you get all these little pores on it, so it looks like a lava rock under a microscope that's expanded shale and expanded jalil is a rock that holds its porosity and holds its structure over time and the soil, and it really really helps our heavy, heavy clay. Three or four inches of expanded shale would be good to fully do the job on a really yucky, sticky clay. And you can get it from Heirloom Soils. Just go to Heirloomsoils dot com. Heirloomsoils dot com. You can learn about all the products they have and then go to your local garden center, ace hardware store, feed store, sofa's fertilizer and all those kinds of places are going to carry the products. You're listening to Guardline, I'm your host Skip Richter, and we are now going to head out to sugar Land and talk to Ann. Hello Ann, good morning, and welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 11: Good morning. I have squirrels that are digging in my pots of pansies and wondered if there was anything I could do to discourage them.
Speaker 2: Well, you know that that's what squirrels do, and so it's hard to talk them out of that. I've known people that tried different things. You this is a little trouble. But if you've got some some plants that you can plant through a mesh like a like maybe you cut out a section a chicken wire or something like that, put it on the ground, and then and then you know your plants are going in there. Uh, it's trouble to do that. But it's hard for dogs and squirrels and cats and other things to dig in any four better pot like that that. The only other thing would be some sort of a repellent. Uh. And the ones that are mainly used on squirrels are basically based on hot pepper oil. And that that's because if they chew on it, it burns their little mouths and they realize they don't want to chew on that anymore. And so that help some with the squirrels, but they are a problem. You know, our urban neighborhoods are filled with squirrels.
Speaker 11: Where would I get on.
Speaker 2: A go to go to wild Birds unlimited.
Speaker 11: Wold Bird?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, warbirds will have it. They carry all those kinds of things.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I would say, let me do something while we're talking here. I'm gonna try to find that actually for you. But you can go to w b U dot com forward slash s Houston, okay, and that'll give you the Wallbirds stores that are the closest to you. And you're down in sugar Land, so you've got a store on bel Air Boulevard that's probably the closest to you. Oh okay, good good, okay, okay. Now test it on plants, because you know oils just it's an oil and any kind of an oil. We use a lot of types on plants. But I've never tried spraying hot pepper on plants. So test it on a little spot first before you just you know, nuke the whole flower flower pot of pansies. Make sure that's going to be okay.
Speaker 11: All right, okay, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you you take care. Yes, squirrels are a problem, and that's a tough one. You know, if they're if they're eating like bird seed, you can put the pepper oil on them and they get a bite, and I mean they're not gonna like that, you know, like putting hob and arrow on my ice cream. I think I would even stop eating ice cream if it had hobbinn arrow oil on it. But when it comes to like here's the plants and they're just digging around, that's that's more difficult. In a little pot where you got pansies, it's kind of hard to do. The wire thing that works in a bed pretty well, I had that in a bed where my dogs decided they wanted to dig. Do you know I have two Golden retrievers, Texan Ellie. Didn't I sound like a like some kind of Stoga wagon going west Texan Ellie heading out to anyway? They're Golden Retrievers. And I didn't know this when I got them, but I thought golden retrievers were bred for like retrieving a duck from a pond or retrieving Apparently they were bread for retrieving plants. I'll go out and plant a plant when these dogs were young. We've gotten planet a plant i'd come back out. In fact, I've posted this to Instagram a long long time ago. My little four inch pots of I think it was cone flower that I'd put out there. They Ellie retrieved them for me. She brought him to the back porch and had them lay in there while she sat with dirt on her mouth, looking at me like I was going to praise her. I guess I don't know what she brought them to show me. But anyway, we need a dog rehab service that can teach dogs how to retrieve weeds instead of plants. Now, that would be a dog worth. We love those dogs, but they also My wife planted a rudbeccia recently and we came out and about half the petals re eating off one flower, and it came out and the flowers were gone. They just like to chew on stuff. Anyway. They're good dogs other than that. So if any of you know how to, if you want to start a money making business, train dogs how to retrieve weeds, I think that would be great. All right, Spring Creek Feed is up there in Magnolion FM twenty nine seventy eight, and you hear me talk about it from time to time. It is an awesome feedstore is actually a beautiful feed store. You go, you drive up and this building is just inviting. I mean it's like, oh, that looks good. And then you walk in and you first thing, the first thing I think about is Okay, did I come to the wrong place or this looks more like a beautiful store of just all kinds of displays of everything in the world you might want. And then you look over to the side, Oh, there's feed there. And then you look the other side and oh, there is everything I need for my plants in the garden, yard and landscape. So that would be the fertilizers I talk about. That would be disease control, insect control, weed control. It's all there. They've got it at Sprint Creek Feed. Now, if you are a senior citizen or military or FFA for hu raising animals, their discounts for that. They can also special order and they do have a delivery service if you need that, if you like to do that. But the staff is friendly and courteous. And when you consider the full line of Nelson, turf Star, the microlife, the nitrophoss, all the things that they carry. It's just an easy, one stop shop and you will like them when you go in there. Though, if you're into backyard chickens too, I mean, can they ever get you set up on that? Lots of stuff? All right, time for me to take a little break here. I am going to be right back if you'd like to call us seven one three two one two kt rh All right, folks, welcome back to garden Line. We are going to keep going here with advising and helping and doing whatever we can to help you have a more bountiful garden, a more beautiful landscape, and more fun in the process. That's the that is the important one too. You know, gardening is not remember the days when people had to like hunt and gather. Member, of course you don't remember. None of us are around people. I had hunt and gather just to survive, right, And then we discovered farming and you had to if you had a crop failure, you starved out. Well, we don't live in that time anymore, and here in the States at least, and we're fortunate, extremely blessed for that. But you can grow your own food, You can do all kinds of things and have fun in the process, and gardening is just in our blood. I really believe that. By the way, I will tell people that I know that are under other professions, including medicine, the ministry, all kinds of things. I'll say, you know, I actually am in the profession, the first profession ever, the profession officially ordained by God. Because he didn't make a guard, a cubicle of Eden or a clinic of Eden. He made a garden of Eden. And we get to as gardeners. We get to do what I just think mankind is basically designed for, and that that is to get out there, to enjoy nature, to create, to build, do all kinds of things. That's a little bit of a soapbox, but I know this that I am happiest when I'm in my garden. Someone once said that I can't imagine when it comes to like building the soil, allowing someone else else to rob for me. The opportunity to get out in the soil and dirt and garden and grow. It is a good with a lot of good analogies too. By the way, I know I'm going off topic here, but I think it's fun. For example, Abraham Lincoln said this die when I may I want it said by those who knew me the best, that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow. You know, he said that, and't that? What we try to do is get out there and make life a little better. When we say improve your lot in life, well, your property is city lots or country acreage, how can we improve it? That is what it's about. Gardeners are optimists, and we know we can it'll be better. You know, the best garden I've ever had is the one I'm gonna plant. When I go to a garden center and buy a fruit tree, I let's say it's a peach. I can already see that tree five years old in my yard, loaded with the most delicious peaches on earth. Because we have that optimism, we have that ability to do that. And Thomas Cooper years ago said, garden is never so good as it will be next year. And that's really true, really really true. All Right, I'm gonna stop pontificating and we'll talk to you about the things you're interested in if you give us a call seven one three two one two K t R. H Ace Hardware stores are all over the Houston area over forty stores now in the Greater Houston area. And when you go into ACE, first of all, if you're one of the folks trying to do the nitrofoss one, two, three or three step excuse me, the nine of us three step fertilizer disease prevention, weed prevention in your yard, go to Ace Hardware store. They're going to have it. They're gonna have the whole package there. And you know, in any season of the year, Ace is going to have the things you need to have a beautiful lawn and a beautiful garden and a productive garden. You got pest and disease problems. They got you covered. Fall is it's very important in the fall if you have fire ants, which pretty much eyboy does.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 2: If you have fire ants, fall baiting is really really a great way to knock them down a lot. So next spring it's like, oh my gosh, I'm inundated. This is way worse than it was in the fall. If you will do your baiting now, and Ace Hardware has all kinds of different bait options for you, that is the least toxic way to control fire ants, and now's the time to get it done. You want to put baits out when the weather is conducive to the ants being out, and in summertime during the middle of the day. Do you know, even though they're called fire ants, they don't like the hot, hot heat of the middle of the day. They tend to come out more in the mornings and later, cooler afternoon hours and things. But if you don't know if it's time to put a bait out, it's easy to get something that's oily, like an empty tunican packed in oil or a potato chip. That's the easiest one. I think. Toss a potato chip or two or three around the garden a landscape, come back fifteen minutes later, and if they're fire ants on it, if they found it, which they will, they love that oil, then it's time to put out the bait. I knew a guy that took little flags, those little wire flags that you put out marking a pipeline or something, and he would cut a hot dog into little sections, little slices, stick the wire flag through it, and stick that hot dog out in the landscape. And with the flag, he knew exactly where the hot dogs were. Come back fifteen minutes later. That's how they decided when they were going to do their treatments. He was actually a fire researcher that taught me that Ester lives in the Greater Houston area. But anyway, however you go about it, find the timing that's right, and then get out there and get it done. And ACE Hardware Store is going to have you covered on the baits that you need. Go to ACE Hardware dot com and find the store locator and when you do, you're going to see the stores stores plural that are nearest to you. Our phone number is seven one three two one two k t R H. Give us a call if you've got a question that we can help you with. I heard something a while back. In fact, I got a notice from Texas A and M Aggerlife and the Research and Vegetable Improvement Center. That is a facility that's a program too there on the Texas A and M Campus Research and Vegetable Improvement Center. They have for years worked on making healthier vegetables. You know, there's compound in onions called corsetan that helps fight I believe it's cancer with the corsetan. And they're so breeding onions that have more corstant or breeding tomatoes and the lycopene is one of the health things that we have in tomatoes and developing vegetables that not only are more productive, but that are better well. Now, there is a multi university consortium that's been put together. This is led by Texas A and m Agrilife and Extension and it includes the University of Florida, Michigan, State University of California, Cornell, Arizona, University of Washington, n C, State University of Georgia, Oregon all over the country. This consortiums get together and guess what. Experts from these major tomato breeding programs are developing regionally adapted disease free tomato varieties to improve water use, sufficiency and heat tolerance. They rang all the bells with that sentence, because we know tomato struggle in the heat. Breeding tomatoes that can grow in the heat better. We know water is a limited resource. More efficient tomatoes when you consider, you know, thousands of acres of tomatoes around the state and the country, what are you Sufficiency is important? And then disease resistance. How about not having to spray your tomatoes as much because they've developed one that doesn't get that disease. And then perhaps the most important flavor quality, flavor. They are focusing on the old time flavors, the taste, the texture, the aroma. Doctor Pattil who leads that up, he made a statement, he said, the breeding programs will focus on enhancing not just resilience of the tomatoes, but also their taste, their texture, and their aroma. So I'm all in. And it takes a while, and when these programs get going on breeding and developing, it'll be a while before we see the results. But can you imagine tomatoes that are more tolerant, that are more disease tolerant, that taste better, and that require less water to produce. That's a that's a home run if they can hit that one over the fence. So congratulations on lending that that grant. And they're working with also the oh gosh, what is it, the USDA Agriculture Research Service on that. All right, folks, I have jabbered my way all the way to another break. We will be right back. Hey, if you want to be first up when we come back. Calls seven one three two one two kt RH All right, welcome back to the garden line. Good to have you, Good to have you with us. Today we are going to continue on here with your calls and also just general advice about having success with gardening. I was out at Enchanted Forest Garden Center, which is down there in the Richmond Rosenberg area. In fact, if you're in Richmond and you're heading towards sugar Land, it's way off to the right. It's on a road called FM twenty seven twenty seven fifty nine, and boy, when you get there, you know it. I mean, this place is just a showplace. It's beautiful, beautiful. They're loaded up. There's any pumpkins everywhere, and moms everywhere, all kinds of fall color. It's really cool. One thing I want to mention, they've gotten in some plants that I think are under utilized, and that would be cyclemen. Cyclemen is a gorgeous plant. Oftentimes they're given as a gift plant to take inside and put on a table, and they're not going to do good long term in the house, but you can bring them in these little falling star looking blooms. That blooms look like falling stars, so you just have to see one, see what I'm talking about. They're beautiful. They would be a great decoration. They'd be a great gift to take to family and friends for if you're traveling for Thanksgiving. But put them in your own garden, if you've got a bright shade an area like under even a live oak tree area. They will do okay in there for a good while, and you can put them in. They take cold as long as it's not bitter bitter cold, so they hold up. It's just a great plant for this time of year. And I driving around town, I don't see enough of those, I think in landscapes because they are so pretty. Oh my, there Greenhouse has produced a bunch more of these awesome vegetables that you find it in Chenny Forest. They are loaded vegetables and herbs. You just need to go in and see it. I was talking to you earlier trying to get you plan a gardener at least a container with vegetables this fall. That is a great idea, and in Chenny Forest as you set up for that.
Speaker 13: Again.
Speaker 2: They're on FM twenty seven fifty nine now. If you would like to go to their website, I hope you will because it is awesome. Enchanted Forest, Richmond TX dot com. In chenned Forest, Richmond TX dot com, we're gonna go down to north West Houston and talk to Ibrahim. Ibrahim, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 14: Oh yes, sir, thank you.
Speaker 2: My question.
Speaker 14: I don't know I can get the answer it the whole.
Speaker 5: Come up.
Speaker 14: So I was talking about the tomato and I can what kind of ground I can use because the sun is shifting and that I cannot put the full sun and then all kind of stuff uh, drying in the ground.
Speaker 2: I mean, so you want to know about it about the soiler. Yeah, so you want soil and then the yes, okay, So if you're going to plant them in the ground, I would get a quality soil blend for that, and I would build up a little bit of a raised bed. You can mix it into the soil you have and then add more of the blend on top of that mix. That way, as the roots go down, it's not like they go down through this mix and suddenly they hit clay soil or whatever is underneath. You sort of blend them together a little bit. There's a veggie and herb mix by Heirloom Soils that is excellent for that. Veggie and herb mix by Airlomb Soil.
Speaker 14: A g that's the name in the soil.
Speaker 2: Veggie uh, veggie like vegetable veg They just veggie is a short word for vegetable, but vegete veggie and herb mix, heirloom soils uh. And wherever you shop, if you're if you in your location, you've got some grade these hardware stores. And you also have some great nurseries that will carry these kinds of mixes. If you want to grow them in a container, you need a container. I think you need a container.
Speaker 15: That's about exactly okay, yeah, so get get the veggie and R mixed, put it in a container, but make sure the container.
Speaker 2: But by the way, it's it's too late now for tomatoes, but next spring we will be planting them again. They can't take take our freezing weather. But next spring, veggie and RB mix and a container, and get a container that's at least ten gallons in size. So you think of a five gallon bucket, Yeah, a ten is better. You can do it in a five gallon if it's not too big of a tomato. And if you water it when it gets hot, you're gonna be watering it, like I said, ay, and a five gallon bucket. And so that's why I like ten because it holds more soil and more water available for the roots. So you just have a little better success with that.
Speaker 14: Yes, I appreciate the things. So I got two more things to ask you. But if you have a private.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go ahead, we got time. Go ahead.
Speaker 14: One thing I want to tell you. The winter time I plant tomato and that sounds funny. Uh, my sisters, are you crazy? What you're doing in the is coming. I just took them inside a couple of time, and the real branches dry, but the fresh one came up too, and the summertime turns out like a tomato and then h five or six tomato, big tomato. I get. I just showed my sisters that was funny for stuff. And yeah, I want to ask you dogs pooping and anywhere. I just I don't have that much experience that teach dogs. Anybody can I mean, I don't know. If you can give me some chip, how I can tell those how I can teach where they can put.
Speaker 2: You know, And it's a I don't know any way to do that. I'm sure there are trainers who can do it. What we do is we can let our dogs out to a certain area first, uh, and and get them over there and they get used to going there. But uh it, I have that same problem in my yard, and I don't know a good answer to that. Did you have a follow up question?
Speaker 16: Uh?
Speaker 14: Oh, yes, sir, this is ea.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, yes, yeah. Did you have another question?
Speaker 14: Another question I have? I have a birth for putting the birth water, and I have a little birth full and sometimes coming like somebody don't power top in the water and this water doesn't look like good and I just looked afresh every day. Do you know how I can check this water? What's the problem? And that is somebody, like you said, put in the power. Do you know any place I can check?
Speaker 2: Is this like a little pond in the ground or is this like a little bowl above ground that holds the water.
Speaker 14: Hold just like berstwater like get in bed and all kind of stuff drinking the same same place just like you know.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know what Okay, I don't know what. Powder on? Okay, why don't we do this? Abraham? I'm going to put you on and my well, I can't see it right now, but I will. I'm gonna put you on hold and makes you get an email. So you can email me that a picture if you don't already have it, and they'll take a look at it and see what I can see. I'm gonna have to run. We're at the end of the hour. Uh. Okay, I'm going to put you on hold and my producer will give you my email. Okay, just hang on, don't hang out. Yeah you bet, Yeah, and thanks for the call. Appreciate that.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 2: I've talked a lot about Medina products. Medina has been around for a very long time, and gardeners have been fans of Medina for a very long time. The Medina Soil Activator is one of their most famous products that they put out there. They have taken Medina Soil Activator and added to it some things and called it Medina Plus. And that Medina Plus has over forty different trace elements. It's got natural growth hormones from seaweed, It's got a number of different additional nutrients, including even things like vitamins and trace elements, and it just works. I just planted a whole bit of strawberries. I don't know what I'm gonna do if they'll start producing. I keep joking, you'll have to bring strawberry your produce to the station. When I advise you on something, I may have to take my strawberries to your house because I'm going to have more strawberries than I know what to do with. But anyway, and one reason I am is when I planted on my watered amen with medina plus, you just put it in a watering can. That's how I do it. And anything you plan, I mean tomato plants, broccoli plants, herb plants, rose bushes. Shrubs it up, drench it in over the soil and give those plants a head start boost. It's okay to get it on the foliage. In fact, if you've got foliage above on what you're planning, you can sprinkle it over there because it also is a good folio feed and will not burn. Thedina plus widely available here in the Houston area, easy to find. And I'll just say this, when you think about a plant going in the ground, think about the dina plus put any at the same time. It can be used for other things, but definitely let that transplanting get that in the ground. I don't know how time flies like this, but I'm having a good time. I hope you are. We're about to put an hour in the books. Next Saturday, I'm going to be at the Ace Hardware storing Katie. Katie Hardware is the name of the star Katie Hardware. I'll tell you a little bit more about it when we come back from this break. But twelve to two, go ahead and just market on your calendar. Twelve to two we're going to be giving away a lot of cool stuff. I love to meet all of you the way out that direction, but don't come to some of the other the.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r H Garden Line with Skip Ricord's.
Speaker 2: Crazy trim.
Speaker 3: Just watch him as well us so many good things to Suprasyay.
Speaker 2: Sorry you all right, welcome back, Welcome back to guard Line. Glad you are joining us today. Thanks for listening. We appreciate that. We enjoy visiting with you as well. And if you have a gardening question, just give me a call. Seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three you want to kt RH. I talk all the time about the importance of brown stuff, the soil, the importance of the foundation for the plant, the importance of everything we do before the plant goes in the ground. Well Landscaper's pride. They fully understand that, and they have created a couple dozen plus products that can help you have that kind of success by taking care of the soil. For example, they have a healthy Soil compost made from one hundred percent locally sourced green materials. Healthy Soil Compost. Now, this material can be mixed into your soil. If you've got a clay, it helps it become more friable, not just this massive hard rock when it's dry, but that it crumbles because it has airspace. It also adds the opportunity and food for microbes to thrive in your soil, which helps roots thrive. Now, they also have something called mushroom compost. I remember mushroom compost from years ago probably oh gosh, I don't even remember how many years, over thirty I know in the Conro area. I had a little demonstration garden at the extension office and it was a vacant lot that the builders had scraped everything off of because that's what you do when you're gonna put a building in, you know, you just get all flat and hardened level so you can drop a building on it. Well, it was horrible, I mean, it wouldn't grow. The weeds it grew were even shartruse colored. They weren't They couldn't even fully turn green. We went out there, we spread mushroom compost. We disked it in with a little tractor with a disc behind it and so not an't even any fine rodotilling thing, and then scattered rye grass seed all over that area. Some of it went past where the mushroom compost was. We were just scattering it over. When that came up where there wasn't mushroom compost, the rye grass seed was spin ley. You could see soil between the little spinley rye grass plants where there was mushroom compost. That rye grass was emerald green, like two feet toll flopping back over again and just dense, dense dance. And the only difference and water differently, it was just rainfall, same seeds it was. It was the mushroom compost. And I go into that. It's kind of a long explanation, but I want to tell you I've seen the results of mushroom compost, and Landscaper's Pride has some really clean local mushroom substrate, which is what we call mushroom compost. It's what happens after they grow a crop of mushrooms. They don't use that same stuff. They move it on out and gardeners are sitting there drooling, going yes, yes, me me well. Landscaperspride dot com is where you can find out where to get these things. It's also where you can find out details about these products and you need to follow them on social media. You can find the links there as well. And Landscaperspride dot com. So soil, soil, I always talk about the soil. Dale in Jersey Village is our next caller, up Dale, Welcome to garden.
Speaker 17: Line, Good morning, Thank you for all you do. Two questions one is just if it's I don't know if it does it good or bad at this point in time to trim or to prune some roses.
Speaker 2: That's one.
Speaker 17: And the second question is I think the name of the the other type of weed slash grass in my Saint Augustine Bahia or Bari.
Speaker 2: Something like that.
Speaker 17: It has the V type seed, if you know what I mean, what's the best way of creating that in my life? And it's quite a few different places, so it's not a small amount to dig dig out will not be practical so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh yeah, okay, Oh boy, are you pretty sure it's behea? Yeah, yeah, okay, because for me to go, you know, recommending something it, we need to make sure we have the right weed, you know, or right, I would be mistaking you. So the hair grass is it is a very tough grass. You see it everywhere on the roadsides and whatnot, and it's a challenge, you know, to get it under control. The hair grass. I think, let me see what is the product that controls that selectively in Saint Augustine's. I won't try to find it. It's gonna take me just a second to find it. I think I know what it is, but I don't want to say it until I'm sure I'll find it here in just a second. But you had a follow up question. Let's go to that one for just a moment. Then, yeah, not follow up, but another right, okay, another question, okay, go ahead. Huh what it was? The other question?
Speaker 17: Roses if now is a good time to prune or should I hold off till later on the ear or to say spring?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, actually I would not prune them now. I think it would be better, you know, to hold off on Yeah, to hold off on that. The thing that pruning does is it stimulates growth. And when you stimulate growth, and we're, you know, just about to go into this cold, cold weather, then you end up getting more problems uh there on your on your lawns, I mean, excuse me, on your roses.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: And so I would hold off and probably when we get into February, go ahead and do most of your pruning at that time. Okay, Yeah, I am not finding the answer on behaey. I'm I'm pretty sure that a product called man or M A n O R will control it. But I tell you what I'm going to do. Dale as I get a chance here and breaks and stuff, I'm going to look into that because I should have it at the top of my head and I just want to be sure that I'm correct about it. But that is a product that you can put down that kills bhean doesn't kill your saint Augustine.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 2: But I'll just have to I'll just have to hunt it down when I can actually do it. I can't walk in chew gum at the same time, So talking and searching, isn't it. Yes, thank you very much, and good luck with those roses too. I'm glad to hear you have those. Our phone number seven one three two one two k t R H seven one three two one two k t R h. Uh. If you have a question and I'd like to give us a call, be happy to answer that. I am checking the my email periodically and people will often email me and send photos and we want to I want to be able to help that way as well. A lot of times, you know, I'll get a question and there's the description or maybe someone I get. I get this a lot. People say I've got crib grass in my lawn, and I think about half the time, it's not crabgrass that they have in their lawn. It's just crabgrass. Everybody knows it. And it looks like other grasses. Grasses look like grasses.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: And that's probably where people are coming up with that. But anyway, being able to know for sure, have a picture, make sure we're right about the identification that helps us with the diagnosis and recommended controls. All right, I'm gonna take a quick break. I'll be right back.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, folks. Good to be back with you. We were just having that question about controlling the haagrass and a Saint Augustine lawn and I was correct. The first thought that came to I was man or M A and O R. It's a selective herbicide. It's also sold in other names like MSM turf. That's another name for it. There are some other names. I won't give all that on the ear. But if you got to be careful with manner. A manner can severely damage shrubs and trees. So don't spray it onto your flower beds for example. Just get it on the turf, don't overapply it as always, follow the label and don't do it right before you get a gully washer rain to wash it downe in the root system. You want to be real careful with It's very effect of herbicide, but you gotta be careful also follow again, follow the label. It can yellow you're Saint Augustine a little bit. But we're talking about trying to kill a grass and a grass which generally is quite impossible to try to do uh, but manner will do that. If you want to go that route with it. There are some other things that you can use. You can spot treat with anything that kills the grass. You can spot treat with that if you just have some behavior and there that pray be the better way to go about it. All right, We're going to go out to Eagle Lake, Texas and talk to Stanley. Hey, Stanley, welcome to guarden Line.
Speaker 6: Hey.
Speaker 18: Regarding regarding.
Speaker 6: Previously, Hey you great, I guess I can say. It's fun.
Speaker 2: Stanley. Uh, you're cutting out a lot, so I'm having a hard time following you. Just go ahead. I heard that regarding by Hey, you were going to give me something you'd used.
Speaker 18: Sammarron.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, that's even I find but I.
Speaker 18: Use that in hay patches, and I mean it took me a second when he was talking about it, but yeah, I guess it doesn't hurt Saint Augustine. I don't know.
Speaker 2: But AnyWho, well, I didn't know that it has a Saint august I just have to say, since a lot of people are listening, and people don't always listen carefully, do not use that on Saint Augustine without checking the label. Folks. I'm not sure it has a label for Saint Augustine. But okay, go ahead, Stanley.
Speaker 18: Neither am I but I wanted to compliment you on your soapbox earlier this morning and talking about kids, which one talking about kids and grandkids whatever. I mean, uh, and just just if you haven't planned the garden, do it. And you know, turnips like for kids, you know, if you remember when you and I were young, I mean, like turnip seed they come up in what four days for example?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know just now yeah, well there you go.
Speaker 18: So you know it's something that way, you know, because attention span on children, but it works. And broccoli you were you were talking about broccoli and if with limited space, I mean once you cut the head off and and you know the main stem I mean a little bit later, you have little flower ets that you can throw in a salad or something some Yeah. Yeah, so as opposed to cauliflower, you cut that off and you're done. I mean you've got dead space now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I understand that that is true. Hey, thank you Stanley for giving us a call.
Speaker 18: Y'all have a great one. Thank you, bye bye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you take care, that's for sure. Now is the time for your fall lawn care. I keep telling you every day you wait is not good because one of these days the weeds are going to be up. One of these days the brown patch circles are going to be there. One of these days, it's going to be so cold that root's ability to take up some of these nutrients is going to be greatly reduced. And so do it now. Nitrofoss Texas three step fertilizer we prevention, disease prevention nightro Fass Fall Special is a fertilizer. Nitrofos Barricade is the weed prevention. Nitrofos Eagle is the turf fungicide. And you can put all three down on the same day. Just just do one, then come back, do the next one, then come back and do the next one. Then turn on the sprinklers for about a half inch of water. Put something straight side containers out there to find out how long that takes. You got to move all of that into the soil for it to do what it's going to do best, So don't forget to do that. D and DE Feed has it in Tomball Plantation, Ace and Richmond Ace Hardware, Sinkle Ranch, Arborgate and Tomball Shades of Texas, Southeast Houston, on Genoa, Redbluff. Lots of places you can get the Texas three step from Nitrofoss. You were listening to Guardline. Our phone number is seven to one three two one two k t RH seven one three two one two kt R.
Speaker 16: H Uh.
Speaker 2: Anti Rosenborium is one of my favorite places to go visit because it's like you enter another place in time and if you've never been out there, you need to try it. If you've been out there, you know what I'm talking about. But it's up there in Independence, Texas, which is north of Brunham, so it's just a nice little drive, not too far at all. In fact, this afternoon be a great time to get out and about and see that. Uh So when you go to the Antique rosen Porium you find a place overflowing with roses and vegetables and herbs, native plants in color like you know, the violism, snap dragons and dianthus and salvias and fall asters and all that that you want to have. Now that make the pollinators really happy. By the way, I want to remind you they got some incredible programs coming up on the Let's see here, what is today twenty? He said? Okay, good, Yeah, the Fall Festival of Roses on November one, two and three is something you need to go see on the first. The first day is a festive ticketed party that's Friday, November first, on Saturday and Sunday. It's free, it's open to the public and they'll be talks by a Rosarian. Mike's a Rent from Microlife will be there, Henry Flowers, doctor Steve George from Agrilife earth Kind Program. Doctor George is a very entertaining speaker. Chris Weisinger. We call him the bulb Hunter and he's the guy who has helped bring a lot lot of these bulbs that are found in old, abandoned homesteads, but they're still surviving without you. He's brought those to the market with his company. Chris Weisinger be there, artists and market food trucks. If you want more information, just follow anti Grosmporium on social media or join their email list. You go to Antiqrosenporium dot com. You can find out how to get on the list. There you can find out about information and tickets. When you had to say anti g Rosenporium and listen to this. When you had there, tell them I sent you and you'll receive a ten percent discount at checkout ten percent just by saying skip sent me. If you order online, which you can do by the way, you can just enter coupon code SKIP twenty twenty four skip two zero two four here's our number nine seven nine eight three six fifty five forty eight, or to go to their website. Definitely go to the website Antique Roseanmporium dot com. Love going there. You know, I went to rosen por I was out there when it first opened up back in I don't know what was that run eighty two, I believe eighty three sometime like that was the first time I'd been out there, hadn't been opened that long at least, and that was That was a magical and still is a very magical place to go. You are listening to Garden Line and our phone number is seven to one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two kt r H. If you're looking at your landscape and you're thinking, I just need to do something different, you know, maybe it's you don't like the way it looks. Maybe it's like you want to take it up a notch. Maybe it's a back yard area that you want to beautify so that can be part of your living space. You know, when we have an outdoor patio or an outdoor porch or things. It's like taking your living space outdoors to enjoy nature. Pierce Scapes can turn that into a very magical place with things like hard scapes and landscape lighting, with things that enhance your garden, maybe a kind of a fountain, or maybe a brick barbie on a brick or rock barbecue pit area to just really make it a place you want to go hang out with friends. We're getting in the fall season here and our evenings are wonderful times to be out and about why not have that kind of landscape. Get it set up now. Call Pierscapes dot com. Pierce Scapes dot com. It's two eight one, that's the website. The phone number two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty. They also do quarterly maintenance if you just want a harm to come out and spruce things up, take care of your beds, change out the color, things like that. They can do that as well. Pierce Scapes can do a lot and they've got some great designers for those of you who really want to do a major renovation and make things just stunningly beautiful. I was pulling some weeds in the front yard. You know, those fall asters go to a neighbor who does not control their weeds, and their weeds go to seed, and the seed comes to see me. Because my yard is a place that wants to be So every fall I go out and here comes the fall aster. It's actually called slender aster. You don't really notice them through the year, although I've kind of learned to see them because they have a dark blue green color of the leaf, a very thin strappy leaves blue green color. But you know they're there when it's time to bloom, and that's fall, that's October. They start producing these little dime sized flowers that look like multi pedal, strappy petal, skinny petal daisies about the size of a dime. That's the time you got to take action. It's too late to spray them. So I go out in the morning. If I have to wet the soil just to get it soft, go out and every one of those things is coming out of a tap root, and you may see something the size of the steer wheel on your car growing everywhere. Catch it at first, bloom, grab it and pull it out and you'll get rid of potentially thousands of weed seeds that will then be making it worse next year. And I know people don't like to hand pull weeds, but you know, take my little kneeling bench out there, my folding kneeling bench by the way they got those Southwest fertilizer, and I just kneel down a cup of coffee usually out there, setting down in the grass to enjoy, and just pull a few pill a five gallon bucket here and there. I saw a guy the other day that had probably four wheelbarrows full of those things because they had cleaned. They were cleaning them out of their entire front yard where they had proliferated. Don't let it get that far along. Just when you see them, go ahead and get them real quick. If your neighbor will let you pull a few on the other side of the line there this year, would make your life easier on your side of the line. Anyway. I'm just saying that's what I was spending some time doing out there. Well, it is about time for me to take a break here, so Jim in Meadows Place, you will be my first up when I come right back from break. For the rest of you seven one three two one two kt RH. Welcome back, Welcome back to Guardline folks. Good to have you with us. You know, if you're looking for any kind of supplies for your lawn and your landscape and your vegetable gardens, your flower bits, all that kind of stuff, Ace Hardware's got you covered. And especially this season where we're focusing on getting the soil right and getting the weeds, diseases and just the health of the turf in our lawns in better shape. Ace Hardware's got you covered. You want to talk about the three step, the nitroposs has the Texas three step. That is a fertilizer, that is a weed control, and that is a disease control. Go to Ace Hardware. You're going to find all three and Ace Hardware is all over the place, forty plus stores here in the area. Make it easy, but don't delay. Get out there this afternoon, get that stuff, get it down because we are you know, the first little colfront comes in, get a little bit of rain, and these weeds are they are ready to They're on the verge of sprouting right now, so we need to get that down asap, watered in with a half inch of water, put all three down. All three of those down the three step and watered in real good and Ace Hardware's got you covered on it. They got the fire baits, They've got everything you would need to do this season of the year, and in fact, any season of the year. I'm going to head out.
Speaker 19: Now.
Speaker 2: Let's see, we're going to go to gym in Meadows Place. Hello Jim, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 6: Hello Rick.
Speaker 8: About two weeks ago, a friend gave me three crape myrtles. One of them is about three foot tall, the other two were about five foot tall. They had a limited root base on them, and I dug up my spots. I added some premium potting saw I got from garden store and water moon, soaked the ground with the root stimulator and planted them. The small one, the three footer, is doing well, got green leaves, seems to be doing okay. The two five footers with their limited root ball, We're all green when I put them in, But after about four days all the leaves have died, and I'm wondering if then I'm not going to be able to save them. There's still some green wood on the big ones, but all the leaves that were on their died.
Speaker 6: Can I say it should I.
Speaker 2: Wait, I don't think they should have died. They should have died that fast. Some sort of stress, transplant shock, a little bit of droughty period for they got in the ground, or who knows what caused them to drop the leaves. Plus it's a season where micrapes that are growing in the yard are dropping their leaves. I've been for a while, so just make sure the soil stays moist. Don't keep it soggy, trying to overwater, but just keep it moist. And I think they're going to come out in spring and be just fine. Sounds like you did everything you need to do. You're on a good start. As they begin growing next spring, just get you some some fertilizer for shrubs and trees. Put it out there and give them a little boost.
Speaker 8: Already got that.
Speaker 6: I got some great fertilizer. All right, ready to go?
Speaker 14: Okay, well, all right, thank you.
Speaker 6: I'll give them a shot.
Speaker 2: Thank you, sir. I appreciate your call. Let's see here, all of a sudden people woke up and found the phones. These are all the aggies that partied all night last night. They're finally getting a little bit donald in West Houston. Welcome to Carlne.
Speaker 16: How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm good, I'm good.
Speaker 16: Now here's a question. Yeah, what about walking around with a long nozzle prop Paine torch. They make one that you hold in your hand and you put the standard canister on it and running those weeds.
Speaker 2: That can be done if people do that, especially when you got like a brick sidewalk and the weeds you're coming up in the cracks and those things. Once you get out in the garden and you got you know, mulches and I don't know, dry grass or something as dry as everything is now, I'd be a little concerned. But if it's if there's nothing desirable in that area and you don't have dry burnable stuff on the surface, that's that's a legit deal. I've got one of those and I use it driveway and weeds come up in the driveway because it's hard to get in there with a little hoe and get them out of me. You can spray them too, but it's just another option.
Speaker 16: Yeah, And because a lot of people are kind of against the round up spring, you know, you want to spray round up around that's that's commercially. That's how they do it. So does it kill the roots though? When you when you burn the top of the plant of the weeds off that it doesn't kill the roots, especially the dandelion.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 16: Oh, so they'll be.
Speaker 2: Back, No, it doesn't. They'll be back. Yeah, they'll be back. And if it's a very young plant, maybe, but if it but some plants or annuals and they don't have a system, that's going to come back. If it were bermuda grass, it would bounce back through. If it's something that's got underground structures like nut grass, that's gonna come right back through that too.
Speaker 16: Right, But you said you have a torch. You have a torch, so you know it would be a week two three probably, but two or three weeks before they might even show up again. So you just take another little pass on them with the burner and they're gone again.
Speaker 2: Right, you could do that. Yeah, if you if you never let them up for air, never let them a chance to get gas on sunlight very long, you will win that. You'll weaken them and you'll win that way too. Hey, Donald, I got a few other calls I need to run to. But good luck with that. Be careful though, be careful out there. Let's see we are gonna I wanted to just go to Lakes Side Estates and talk to Maureene. Hey, Maureen, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 20: Yes, good morning, and you nailed me. I watched the AM game and.
Speaker 2: I wondered why y'all weren't calling.
Speaker 20: Well, no, I've been up for a while trying to catch up from.
Speaker 16: What I want than doing while I was watching the game.
Speaker 20: Okay, so here's the question. I always listened to you, and but I didn't have a pencil to write it down. You were talking about some plants have a disease, and the plant some I believe you were talking about was Vinca or dianthus, and there was nothing wrong with them if they didn't get the disease. But you mentioned a plant that was more resistant. It sounded like collistrum or no.
Speaker 12: Whatever.
Speaker 20: It was just a little it just had it was more resistant. So I guess I have to listen.
Speaker 2: To the Let me do well, let me do that said something else?
Speaker 8: Go ahead and tell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I liked I called vinca madagascar periwinkle, because we have other things like a vining groundcover called venca too, and so anyway, that that plant the summer bloomer and pink, red and yellow and white. Uh, that plant can get a disease that wipes it out. And there are there is a resistant variety called Cora c o r a like the girl's name. It doesn't resistant to that disease. So if you want you need to get you need to get Cora vinka and and that will be resistant. Maybe that's what you're talking thinking, Yes.
Speaker 13: It was, I just knew it was the sea.
Speaker 14: But I've been reading a.
Speaker 10: Lot about that.
Speaker 2: That's the summer. Yeah, that's that's a summertime.
Speaker 20: Okay, So what can I get?
Speaker 6: Like the vinka?
Speaker 20: I like the dianthus and the venka because they have lots of variety of colors. So you can suggest something else other than snap. Dragons that don't do well with snap, Well, I need partial sonkay.
Speaker 2: Okay? Well, uh, stock stock is pretty good in a partial sun pretty much if it's a flower. Almost all of them like sun because that helps them make carbohydrates. But I would say another one. I like Viola's even better than pansies in the cool season. They're extremely cold hearty and they produce a lot more blooms than pansies, even though they're smaller blooms. And after a rain, the pansy blooms kind of get beat up pretty good, and the viola blooms seem to just keep going better. So a viola would be one I would put in the cool season garden.
Speaker 20: And for distance, for distance from my sidewalk, I get a particular color I used to do when I've forgotten.
Speaker 14: What it was.
Speaker 5: Usually I would do.
Speaker 2: It's going to be if it's no, No, it needs to be a light bright color, especially in semi shade, so light blues and bright yellows and white and things like that. Hey, I'm there telling me in my ear I got to go to a commercial. Thanks for the call, Marine, I really appreciate it very much. When we come back, let's see we've got Edward and Carol and Howard. You'll be the first ones out, all right, Welcome back, Welcome back to the garden line. Good to have you with us. We are rolling today, got a lot of things to cover and talk about. You know, I was selling you Microlife had that micro grow bioinoculant. That's a dry granular. You can buy it in a bag. You can buy it in on one of the canisters plastic screw top lid canisters. Either way. If you're looking for something similar that is a liquid, they had Microlife liquid AF liquid AF. It's also kind of in a maroon colored container. Buy by the gallons what I'd recommend. But it has the inoculation of all kinds of beneficial, very important microbes that help fight soil and leaf pathogen. So you could use it as a foliar spray. Then a spore lands on a leaf and tries to attack, and you got things on that leaf that are fighting that disease. You could also use it as a drench. You could use it as a folio spray over it through your flower beds, through your lawn even if you would want to go that route. One gallon jug micro Grow liquid AF would be a good thing also to have on hand for that natural approach to disease control. I'm going to head now to let's see here who is who is hung with us through the break. We're gonna go to Ed and Dan Berry. Hey, Ed, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 6: Hik you I question hurt gang barrow. When it hit, I had about a twenty foot tall cond tree and a forty foot sycamore tree fall on the east side of it, broke some limbs off. Should I put some prune and spray or something with all those collars are.
Speaker 2: No, you don't need to on a pecond tree. But where it's all broken typically, yeah, Typically where branches break, it's a very rough break, and you know it, it's not gonna heal well. So usually you'll go back in there, follow that branch back and cut it off where it joins another branch with a fresh cut, that would be better. But the treatment of a spray or a printing paint that's not necessary.
Speaker 6: So I'll do that about teguary normally, because I might have to trim that west side real hard. It's gonna grow all uneven. Yeah, he be on with the west side.
Speaker 2: Next question, well do that, I'll go ahead, No, I said, yeah, go do that.
Speaker 6: Okay. The next question is BlackBerry bushes. I bought two at pro Birds and I got them to Siftoes. I overfertilized one and killed it. I was curious, where's a good place to get any this time of the year.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, they're They're available all over the place.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 2: That I didn't realize Probergs carried those things. That's that's kind of news.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I found them there and I just had a few on the table and I bought two of them. That's the first time I ever saw in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm looking at let's see what's near down there near you. I would drive up to Alvin and I would go to jose hold on just a second, let me get his phone, his numb contact information here for you. He has a backyard garden center there and he does carry fruit and so you're gonna be able to get blackberries from him.
Speaker 6: Just a second, get all right on the.
Speaker 2: Dead air space is bad radio, and all right now, Heyjorges Hidden Gardens. I just I was letting go the things go silent, which you don't do on the radio. Jorges Hidden Gardens is on Elizabeth Street in Alvin, south of Highway sixth, so it's it's pretty close to you or Hayes Hidden Gardens Ores Hidden Gardens. He's opened today from eight to four, that's the weekend hours and during the week closed on Monday and open Tuesday through Friday from nine to three. Oh right, you got to run here. I don't have one right here in front of me. But you can find.
Speaker 6: Him, okay, Elizabeth Street off Highway six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, just do a search for him. You bet you take care. Thanks for the cow book. Uh, there we go, all right. Three sixty tree stabilizer. If you're going to plant a tree, you need a three sixty tree stabilizer. And I really mean that. I'm not being facetious when I say that. I have done the thing where you cut pieces of garden hose, put them through wires and strap it down. You know those guy wires to steaks on the ground and three different directions, and now you've got something to trip over. You had to go buy wire and go do these things and steaks and it's it's just a hassle. A three sixty tree stable is a stiff, a very strong plastic arm that attaches to a post. In fact, it even comes with the thing that attaches perfectly to a t post, so you can just hammer one in the ground, you know, a couple of feet away from the plant. Attach that, and then the other side attaches to your tree. But it holds it loosely with a soft rubber type strap that allows some movement, but not too much and a little bit of movement helps the root structure gets stronger, and it helps the trunk structure get stronger. Plants grow stronger when there's movement, when they're stressed just a little bit, when they're stretched and bent and things like that. Three sixty allows that. And you can find these in a lot of different places. You find them, you know Sienamltch. I just mentioned Jorge Hidden Gardens. Orge has them down there in Alvin Southwest Fertilizer. You go up to Arborgate or Buchanans Native Plants or Plants for all Seasons RCW. These are all places that you can get the three sixty tree stabilizer. And I would recommend having it because you're going to hang it up on the shelf after it's done, after you've used it, and the next time you need to plant something, you're ready to go, or maybe you got a neighbor that would like to borrow it. Three sixty tree Stabilizer. Let's go back now to Parland and we're going to talk to Howard. Hello, Howard, welcome to Regard Line.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Skip. How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm well? Thank you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, let me take it off. Speaker might be easier. See if I can do that. Okay, this is probably better. I had sent you in some pictures earlier in the week of some of my hot pepper plants.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, and I'm I'm finding them. I'm pulling them up.
Speaker 5: Yeah. The leave for a little bit, Yeah, stunted and curled.
Speaker 2: And you said it was probably.
Speaker 5: A nutrient deficiency, but I should give you a call, So here I am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks like nutrient deficiency, the curling, the twisting. It could also be a virus. There are a lot of different viruses that can get into plants. And you know, a virus typically occurs on new growth, so it's the new like if you have an old leave, that leaf that's normal, it doesn't become twisted, it stays normal, and then the new growth shows the twisting on a virus. So you might look your plants over. From what I can see kind of in the fuzzy distance in the picture, it looks like you had some normal leaves for a while that now have But I see a lot of what looks to me like iron deficiency, possibly a little bit of magnesium deficiency. But that's just kind of guessing from a photoshot. I would get a good complete fertilizer, work it into the soil, especially one with micro nutrients. Now that pepper is about to be toasted when we get some cold weather. So I don't know if it's worth trying to save this one, but if that starts to happen again, definitely a good fertilizer that contains micros. You could even get some aze mine and put it in the soil, and then a spray that would would be a liquid that you could spray on them to do the same thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what, Like you said, it's once you get the cold weather, they're going to be gone. I'm thinking it might almost be beneficial to me at this point just to uproot them, get some fresh soil. He'll lay it down in the in the bucket cover. I cover it usually with like trash bags to keep the weeds out of it. And when spring rolls are on the corner, which would be right after January here in Houston, yeah, I'll get some more pepper plants and start again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could do that. You could even mix in. These are in containers, you said, right, Yeah, these are.
Speaker 5: In those thirty five gallon mesh bags.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, you could even mix in something, you know, like a microlife. I would just use the standard green bag sixty four microlife in there. Mix it down in really well because it's going to slowly decompose and release and stimulate some microbactivity. And anytime you had compost or what was once alive, you're adding micros because it took micros to grow the plant material that they make the material out of. So you know you're getting iron and zinc and all kinds of things when you had composts, because that's that's where it took to grow the plant successfully that's now been composted. So that'd be my recommendation.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm good. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: All right, you bet, thank you very much. I appreciate I appreciate your call. Well, there, there we go, there we go. We are now back in the big middle of a excuse my brain just went sideways of a commercial break. I wanted to mention I'm going to be at Katya's Hardware or Katie Hardware. It's on pin Oak Road, hen Oak Road in Katie. I'll be there next Saturday from noon until two. Definitely want to come out, bring your samples and plants and questions and let's have some fun. There'll be a lot of giveaways as well.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kt RAGED garden Line with Scar Richard.
Speaker 3: It's crazy just watching as many things to see.
Speaker 2: You're not a sign. Welcome to guarden Line, folks. It is good to have you with us, Glad to have you back. Thanks for being a listener to guarden Line. By the way, we really appreciate that. It is a lot of fun to get to talk to gardeners and help you have success. It breaks my heart to hear someone say I tried gardening, I got a brown thumb. I can't do it.
Speaker 4: You do not.
Speaker 2: You cannot fail at gardening. You do not have a brown thumb. You can give up at gardening, and you cannot continue to learn. You know, the more you learn, the greener your thumb gets. It's true, because all the green thumb is is people that know the right things to do to make plants happy. You understand a plant, your thumb gets greener. And that's what we do here on garden Line that and hopefully help you have some fun in the process. Warrens Southern Gardens and Kingwood Garden Center they're both out there in Kingwood. Warns is on North Park, Kingwood's on Stone Hollow. Both open seven days a week out of Warrens set. Right now, they've got their pansies party. What does that mean, Well, you buy a flat of four inch pot pansies. They're eighteen of them in a flat for twenty five bucks and it's going to go all the way to November third, So you don't have a lot of time here to drag your feet get that done. But you put those out, grab some pansy fertilizer while you're there and get those in the ground. You're gonna have color all the way through the cool season. Pansies are very, very cold, hardy. They also have Amarilla's bulbs in stock. They've got an abundance of fall vegetables there. Beautiful moms still there for gorgeous color. Don't forget to join their newsletter. If you do, you'll get special coup finds. You'll get offers like their monthly lawn care coupines. It's real easy to join. You and go to the website, or you can get them a call, or when you're in the store you can just tell them that the run Southern Gardens. Join that newsletter and be part of that again Warren's Southern Gardens Kingwood Gardens that are both open seven days a week in Kingwood. I'm going to go now to Tomball, Texas and talk to David Hey. David, welcome to garden Line. Well, good morning, sir.
Speaker 5: Hey.
Speaker 21: I got two things. First thing is I've got it appears to be some kind of a fungus growing on my oak trees. It's kind of an avocado green and it just just just covering the round the trunk, going up about six feet or so. It doesn't bother me, but it is if it's harming the tree, I want to deal with it. The second thing is I'm okay, do what or The second thing is I was looking at your lawn for at your lawn furlization schedule, and I don't see anything about when to put barricade down. I want to get so aggressive to control these stickers. I've been fighting them for three years. I put the barricade down, and I just can't seem to get completely rid of them. So when, when and how much can I overdo it? I want to get rid of them stickers.
Speaker 2: All right, So be careful with overdoing it. You can damage your lawn. When you overdo a pre emergent herbicide, it'll affect the rooting of your lawn runners. So don't overdo it. Just follow the label. UH if you you found online My lawn care schedule also online at gardening with Skip dot com is a free lawn pest, disease and weed schedule. It goes from January to December, and as you go down it's like, what are we are? You're going to use a pre emergent or a post emergon on the weeds, how to control insects, how to control diseases, and it tells you when for everything. The bottom line is for grass in the lawn, is it a grasper or is it a broadly plant with a sticker on it?
Speaker 21: I think it's the grass birds and things that stick to your socks and tiny shoes when you're mowing grass. They can't walk through the yard barefoot.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, picker as you begin to get those, send me pictures of them, because there's several different stickery things that it could be, and a product that works on one may not work on the other. So anyway, the time to do that is in late February, okay, late February, and then you're going to want to repeat it about three months later, maybe two and a half months later. So let's see, that'd be March April, about mid May or early June, you know, probably mid May is when I would do it. I would repeat that application because those things will continue to sprout through the summer, and the product that prevents them doesn't last forever. It breaks down.
Speaker 21: Okay, And on your schedule it was called three.
Speaker 11: Two one.
Speaker 2: Oh oh no.
Speaker 21: The what was the name of the schedule?
Speaker 5: The publication.
Speaker 2: The publication is the Pest Disease and Weed Management schedule. If you go to gardening with skip dot com, it's just right there. It's easy. You can scroll down and see it. In fact, there's a little button there for my schedules, and both schedules in full color are there. I just print my not burnt and back so I can flip it over and know how to keep up with two pieces of paper.
Speaker 21: Okay, So what about the oak tree? Do do anything about the fungus it They ain't bothering me, But is it harming the tree?
Speaker 2: No? Now that's just on the bark it's grown on the outer bark and it just ignore it. There are a live things. Liking is the same way. Some of the mosses that grow on things are the same way. They're not a disease. They're just growing because they're getting the right amount of moisture and light and something to grow on that happens on oaks.
Speaker 21: Alrighty, thank you, that's all I got. Have a good dame.
Speaker 13: You too.
Speaker 2: Thanks, take care all right our phone number seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. You know, he was talking about the the things that we do in the fall and the nitropous three step. The three step method is a fertilizer in the fall that is designed for fall. It gets your grass into the fall season with a lot of carbohydrate build up, which is needed for cold heartiness and for spring growth. Your fall fertilizer is what fuels your early spring growth next year. So it's the most important fertilization of the year is in the fall. Second is nitropas barricade, which you put down and it prevents weeds seeds from coming through. It doesn't kill existing weeds. When a seed sprouts, it can't come through the barricade, that's why they call it a barricade. And then nitroposs Eagle turf fungicide is a systemic product that gets into the grass and so when let's say spores of brown patch, large patch, or take a root rod here, there is a protection in the plant against that infection. So all three of those need to be done asap. The longer you wait, the less good things are going to happen because he uses these you wait until we's already up too late for barricade. That's just an example. So get him done. Now, where do you find him, Well, you're going to find him at Ace Hardware, at Single Ranch. You're going to find him at the Arborgate tombol at Fisher's Hardware, both the ones in Baytown, the one in Mount Bellevue, the one in Pasadena. The Fishers Hardware and Report they all carry those things. And if you go to Katie Ace Hardware, you're going to find those two out there. Let's see you are listening to Guardenline our phone number seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. You know when I talk about nutrients and things, I also like to mention the product azo mighte ASA might is a micro nutrient, a trace than same thing micronutrient trace mineral product that you put in the soil to put those micros in the bank account of the soil. Now, some nutrients we need a lot of nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium. That's why you have three numbers on every fertilizer bag. Well, trace minerals are equally essential, but they're needed in tiny amounts, and that's why we do microlife fertilizers. That's why we do some of the things that have traces in them. Asamite is designed exactly for that kind of thing. You put azamite out in your lawn, watered in really good, you don't have to do about once a year, and you're going to be in really good shape going forward. It makes it easy, easy to do. It's building the bank account. It's not making the lawn grow, it's having the nutrients the lawn needs when it tries to grow. Go to Azamite Texas dot com. You're going to find asamite pretty much every place I talk about, you know, garden centers, land hardware store, ace hardware stores. The Southwest. Fertilizer feed stores also are going to carry asme. We'll be right back, and when we do, Dina, you'll be our first up. All right, folks, we're back. We are back here on a beautiful sunday talking gardening with you. If you'd like to give us call someone three two on two KTRH. We're going to run right out to the phones here and talk to Dina in League City. Hey, Dinna, welcome to Gardenline.
Speaker 13: Thank you taking a call. I have a question. Recently, Horhei cleaned out one of my flower beds and it looks great. I have roses in there and some peaches and monkey grass, but I see the baby nutsit coming back up. Can I use weed lead complete in it to prevent them coming up?
Speaker 16: From?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: It won't work. What you need to do, And this is a it's a lot too what I'm going to say. So I'm going to refer you to my website where I've written something for that. It's Gardening with Skip dot com and there's a publication called Nutsedge and Inside Look, and I write about the how it grows and the timing of what you do and what you use. It's all there in that website tells you exactly what to buy and but bottom line, if I were to summarize it, it's when nutsedge comes up in your garden, let it get three to five leaves, and then treat it with one of the products that's on my list. One of them would be called sedge hammer. There's other sed gender.
Speaker 13: Pardon, can I use this in my yard?
Speaker 2: Can use sedgehammer in your yard?
Speaker 13: A sed hammer?
Speaker 2: Oh? Oh, I see what you're saying. The we complete it is fine to use in your yard. Just long read the label, make sure it's labeled for the kind of grass you have and all that. But I'm saying for the nuts edge, let it get threely And but you here's the deal, Denny. You gotta stay on it. Like two weeks later, I've been dealing with some in a bed, and two weeks later there's some new sprouts in there, and you just when they get three to five leaves, you get them. Don't leave them too long or they'll make a bunch of daughter plants. Now more nutsedge than you started with. But if on your.
Speaker 13: Website is it a granular.
Speaker 2: You mix No, No, you mix it in water and you spray it on the leaves or wipe it on the leaves. That's good. But if you're gonna there's a bunch of brands that are in that publication. But if you get sedgehammer, you want to get sedgehammer plus because it already has something in it to make it stick to those slick nutsedge leaves, sedge.
Speaker 16: Anything.
Speaker 6: It won't hurt.
Speaker 2: You got to read. There are a lot of different kinds of plants. If you get it. If you get it on some plants, it will hurt them. It will, but you have to read the label as to what you can use it around. But here's what I do. I use a wiper, a sponge of wiper that and I wipe it right on the nutsedge leaves. There's no need in spraying spray everywhere that might hurt something else. Just wipe it right on those nuts edge leaves. And I also on my website it shows you how to how to create a little homemade wiper that you can use to do that.
Speaker 13: Okay, he is putting mults after I do that, putting moulfs on top with that.
Speaker 2: Hell, it won't touch nut sage. It'll stop weed seeds of other weeds from coming out, but it won't hurt nutsedge at all. West as not.
Speaker 13: Put barricade after I cleaned out the flower bed. But that's not helping it at all, So okay, right.
Speaker 2: Barricade barricades for weed seeds. Okay, good, good luck with that, Nita, Thank you for the call. I appreciate that. You know, if you've got tree issues, folks, Affordable Trees the one to call. They've been a sponsor of guarden Line and the go to place since back when Randy was doing the show. Affordable Tree Service. Uh, here's the phone number. Seven one three six twenty six sixty three. Winter season prime time for getting pruning done. Get on Martin's schedule. Tell them you heard about it on guarden Line. Get on the schedule so you can come out, take a look, see what you got, see what's needed, and do it right. Whatever your trees need, mark and can do it, not just pruning, but you can do it all. But this is printing season. Don't delay. The best time to get your tree pruning done is upon us. Go to the website if you wish Afftree Service dot com a f F tree Service dot Com, but give them a call seven one three six nine two six sixty three. If Martin or Joe does not answer the phone. You've called the wrong place. Hang up. Call again. Don't let just anybody have access to your trees. They can do damage. That's forever. You need someone that knows what they're doing. That's Martin Spoon More Affordable Tree Service. We're gonna go now to Brookshire and talk to Louise. Hello, Louise, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 12: Oh, thank you so much. Good morning, Skip, Good morning Houston, and good morning and our loud goos are God rest his soul. Randy Lemon, I just wanted to ask you, Skip, how do I combat this disease that is creeping on my junipers?
Speaker 16: I've got it.
Speaker 12: I had an Italian cypress, beautiful, fervent, dark green tree, and it started getting brown leaves, like brown brown branches, and before I knew it, it overtook the whole tree and the tree died. And now because the strong winds out here, I think it's blown over to my junipers and it's starting to show up on my junipers at the bottom. Do you know what that could be?
Speaker 2: So yeah, let me ask you a couple of real quick questions. When it appears, do you see kind of a slow loss of green color kind of almost gets kind of yellow eve for a little bit and then finally turns brown. And it's happening in a general area. Or do you see individual branches that turn brown and are tan and around them the branches are green.
Speaker 12: The first one, he said, the first.
Speaker 2: One, Okay, well, the first one. The first one could be a canker that is killing the branches on it. It could be something in the soil like a root rot. Junifers and all that group of plants does not like soggy soil conditions. It could be that too, Or it could be a canker disease that attacks the branches. And if you follow a branch that's dying backwards, look at the stem, look all around and see if you see a split in the bark. That's a sign of a canker right there. These things are prone to those. It could also be spider mites. They're not a problem we have now this time of year that they love warm weather and so all summer they've been going crazy and they love They just basically suck the juices out of the branch, and that's why it turns brown so gradually and slowly as they feed on it. As their numbers build up, so it's going to be one of the two. The cankers you spray a funderside for and it's only partially effective. The spider mites you would have to blast them with water or spray something that kills mites in there on them. But either way you just need to watch your watering other plants. Make sure you're not keeping them too soggy wet.
Speaker 12: Wow, thank you, I'm gonna do it. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I appreciate Sure, we'll good. There are not many people in my life that listen to what I say, so I'm glad you did that. Thank you, Thank you so much. Good luck.
Speaker 12: I have a great weekend, you too, My god.
Speaker 2: Okay, I never know it's gonna come in my mouth. My wife says, if I'm wondering if I should say something or not, the anches always know because if I'm wondering, then somewhere back way back when I passed the line of what should come out of my mouth. Good advice for a lot of us, and some of you listening to RCW. Nurseres had a great time out there yesterday. You know RCW is the garden center there where uh Tomball Parkway two forty nine comes into belt wagh eight and I call it to get It, Got It Nursery, because if they don't have it, they'll get it. They'll do their best to find it. They can find it, they'll get it for you. They grow their own shrubs up there in Plantersville at the tree Farm, And so when you buy a shrubber tree from the RCW Nursery, you know you're getting things that are grown right, first of all, and secondly, want to be here. It's not some species, you know, Colorado blue spruce that doesn't belong in the Houston, Texas area for sure. No, they grow the best kinds of things. They have one of the best selections of roses you'll ever find. When we get back into the early spring season and things start busting and everybody thinks roses in February, oh my gosh, RCW is gonna have a long list of roses. But right now they've got trees from fifteen gallon up the two hundred gallon. If it's too big for you to plant, they can plant it. They got the supplies you need to do that. And I was just out there yesterday a really good time with everybody that came out herbs perennials, annuals, a lot of different plants that are native too to our area. RCW nurseries dot com. That's the website, RCW nurseries dot com. All right, We're gonna go to Brookshire and talk to Louise. Hello Louise, Hello, Hello Louise. Alrighty, I think we just lost her there. Okay, Well, I want to talk a little bit about Nelson fertilizer. Then. You know, we have so many options when it comes to making our plants happy. Nelson has created a product called Genesis that I just think is one of the best coolest new things I've seen on the market. When I say new, it means in the last five years. Actually Genesis is younger than five years. But Nelson's nutristar. Genesis is loaded with microiza, the fungus that grows with the roots and makes the roots more healthy and more effective with the bacteria and other things that are part of that microbiome in the soil that helps plants. We use it as an amendment into the planting hole. Most SAW based fertilizers, I would say, don't dump them in the planting hole. You burn roots. Well, this isn't a salt based fertile, and this does go in the planting hole. You mix it in with the soil and then set your plant and the plant thrives. If you're growing plants, maybe for your garden, and you're growing them indoors, like next spring, you'll be doing tomatoes, right, and so you're growing them, you're gonna bump them up to a bigger size. Always have Nelson in that potting mix that you're moving them to. When you're out in the garden and you're going to put a rose bush in or maybe an herb in the herb garden mix, Nelson in that soil around. Put that plant in and they will take off and grow really really well. Whether it's soil in the ground, soiling a container, soil in a raised bed, well, however you go about it. Nutristar genesis for new plants is awesome. It comes in a little jug, a plastic jug with a screw top lid, easy to use, and it works. I can tell you it works all right. Now I am hearing in my ear that it is time for a break, so I'm gonna stop talking. If you'd like to give us a call, seven one three two one two KTRH. All right, welcome back, folks, Welcome back to Garden Line. If you'd like to give us a call seven one three two to one two KTRH seven one three two one two kt r H. If you're looking for a place to find any product name that comes out of my mouth on Garden Line, that Southwest Fertilizer. Southwest Fertilizer has been around since what nineteen fifty five, and they it's a fixture in the Houston area. I mean, everybody knows that's where you go. I mean, I'm the people that drive a great distance because there's things you just have trouble finding in certain places. They're just not commonly in the trade. Bob's got them in Southwest. That's why I like to say, if Southwest doesn't have it, you don't need it, because they have it. Because they have it. All the fertilizers you hear me talk about, you know, I'm talking about the the UH weed control, the disease control in your lawn, of those kinds of things. I used to say they had an eighty foot wall of tools. Now I found out there's ninety feet long, and I mean it is ever kind of tool you can imagine, including if you want to make my little weed wiper. I was talking to someone earlier just a bit ago about the weed wiper. Making it yourself. You have to start with this little grabber tool with suction cups, and Bob's got them hanging right there on the wall. They're ready to go. Go in there and grab one. It is such a handy little tool. Bob's got the start of it there for you, and it's easy to make, easy to use. It helps you put out less pesticide in the environment too, and in a safer way as well. Another reason I like that tool. Do you need products like azemite, like Nature's Way resources, heirloom soils, things from Medina. They've got all of that. Bob is also in the back that got this shop. Or you can get your lawnmower blade sharp and ring it, small engine repair done. We're entering the cool season. It's time to put some of those things to bed for the fall. And when you do, why not take them in there and go ahead and get them ready to go for spring. That way, in spring, when everybody else is trying to get their blade sharpen and everything, you've already done. You don't have to wait in a line like that. Bob can do that there for you seven to three seventeen forty four, or go to the website Southwest Fertilizer dot Comt's in Southwest Houston, corner of Bisonet and Renwick. Bissonet and Renwick. I'm gonna give you that phone number again. We've got some openings on the line today. I usually it gets real busy at the end. We kind of got a low quiet here, so I still think that it's because everybody stayed up last night watching football and whatever else is sleeping in today. Our phone number is seven one three two one two kt r H. Seven to one three two one two kt r H. When was the last time that you went out to Katie to Nelson Watergardens. Nelson Watergardens is a wonderland. And I always call it water gardens because that's what they begin with. That's what they are famous, nationally famous for. But it's Nelson Nursery and water Gardens, and that means they've got a lot of different plants, and boy do they ever. They are stocked up on everything that you might need this time of the year. So are you looking for things like Dianthus, Are you looking for things like cyclomon or Moms and on and on and on down the line. They've got it. Their interior plant list is awesome and it's beautiful stuff. And I just you know, boring sea green house plants. They've got some really cool stuff. When you walk in the store, you have to walk right by the house plants, And I think that's a good plan because beautiful, beautiful old plants in awesome shape, and you're going to see ones it's like, I've never seen that before. Well, that's why they specialize in things that you've never seen before and things that you have while you're out there. Of course, you want to be around the water gardens, enjoy those. Learn how to do that. You can do it yourself with their supplies. If you want to, they'll hope you do that, or if you want them to come out, they'll come out. They can build a complete rock waterfall that's just unbelievable. Stock it with all the cool kinds of fish, you know, coy and shabunkin and things. Stock it with lance. If you've got a low water feature in your garden, you want some really cool water plants. For They've got you covered on that too. All of it is in Katie, Texas. Think of it as your West Houston garden center, your West Houston destination garden center. Nelson Watergardens plural dot com, Nelson watergardenswi an s dot com. Head back to the phones here and we're going to talk to Ronda in Magnolia.
Speaker 22: Hello, Ronda, Hi, skim Say, I've got a question regarding Hello, can you hear me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm here, you bet.
Speaker 22: Okay, I've got a question regarding I've noticed in my yard. I've got acreage I've got that.
Speaker 12: Is it a wild rose or whatever?
Speaker 5: It's that?
Speaker 22: Yes, scrubby looks okay, I've got it, popsible mul there you go. I've got it all over in kind of my front pasture area that we actually keep mode that. Now that the grass is kind of diminishing with the drought and all, it's popping up everywhere, and I'd like to get rid of it because I don't. I have dogs, and you know they like to run in that pasture. It's pretty strict, you know, prickly. Yeah, So what's there to dig it up? Montgomery County?
Speaker 2: No, you want to use it. Yeah, you're Montgomer County, So the Montgomer Kenny Extension Office. There's a fellow over there named Brandon. He's the ag agent, and I would give him a call. He'll give you the best, most up to date answer. I I'm aware of all the pasture stuff, but that's not I deal more with stuff in the yard and the garden and orchard and things. You're probably going to use a product containing triclop here t r I c l O p y r t r I l O p y r. It kills, it kills brush. People use it. There's versions in the garden for poison ivy and little weed seed rush seeds coming up in the fence. But there's a versions of it too, And so you're gonna need more than off a garden shelf bottle. You're gonna need quantity. And Brandon can talk to you about that and get you get you perfect.
Speaker 22: Yeah, that's that's the problem we've got. We've got like four acres and I'm finding it, you know, popping up everywhere, and.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be that's a problem.
Speaker 14: Yes, major one.
Speaker 22: So well, thank you.
Speaker 2: I think very much. I think Falls Falls a good time to hit it, so I would call them first thing Monday morning and find out because in fall, plants are pulling in carbohydrates to go through winter and whatnot, and that's a good time to put a translocated herbicide into that wild rose to take it down. You'll get a good knockback. And I think in spring, when it's pushing out the other way, it's not quite as effective. But again I'll defer to Brand and tell him SKIP sent you and he'll he'll get you straightened out on it.
Speaker 14: Awesome, Thank you so much.
Speaker 22: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: All right, you take care. You know, those of you listening out there, did you know that there is an Agrolife Extension office serving every county in Texas two hundred and fifty four counties. Now, if you get way out west where there's more jack rabbits and people in the county, uh, the you may have an office that serves two counties. Most counties two and fifty of the counties in Texas have their own office and when you go in there you can get help. I mean, if you got kiddos, the four h program is awesome way for them to learn about everything, including horticulture. If you are looking at inside the home kinds of things, you know, they've got agents that focus on that. If you're looking at agriculture, they got agents that focus on that as well.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: I got to take a little break here. It's time and if you want to give us a call for our last segment, here's last call seven one three two one two KTRH. All right, all right, folks, welcome back. Good to have you back with us on Guardline. Look, we're in our last segment of the weekend. We're here on Saturdays and Sundays from six am to ten am, and I've got probably time for another call, maybe two if we get going here. We're gonna start though, first with Stephen in Sugarland. Hey Steven, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, how are you doing today? I just have a quick question.
Speaker 2: I am good.
Speaker 4: I think it's called a ROUNDO.
Speaker 2: Okay, and it's in.
Speaker 12: The back yard.
Speaker 4: I chop down all the stems already, but the roots are massive. Is there anything else I could do them?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Other than digging them out, which is a job because it has one heck of a root system. What I would recommend you do next time? You're gonna next time you have it growing, if you can do a couple of things. You can put a glyco sate product on the leaves. And if you go to my website gardeningwiskip dot com, there's a publication for herbicides on there and it talks about herbicides for grass and one of them is glyphosate, and I give you all the examples of it we used. People are familiar with the product round Up, but now round Up at the Garden Center does not contain glyphosate. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen that they would keep that name and change the ingredient, but anyway, they did so. But glyphase products are listed there. You can put it on the leaves, but remember if it gets on anything else, it'll kill that too. Round Up kills lawns and flowers and other things. Another approach is to when it grows up next year, when you cut it off immediately I'll use the word paint that cut surface with the glyphosate concoction, so you're not spraying it. You're just you could use a little foam brush like you use for painting, just dabbing all the cut ins that you cut off, dabbing them. Even wiping a little bit on the stems and leaves that are down low like that, that'll help it get right into the plant and move down. You're probably not going to get it with one application. It's got enough underground storage that it's going to have enough survive to try to come back again. But after two, and definitely after three of those, you should win that battle.
Speaker 4: So the problem is that the property is next to a city park and there's a lot of them, right, So is this something that the city could get involved as well?
Speaker 2: Or well they could, you know, I if I ask them about it, just say you know, you got this and it's invading. They may want it there for some reason, like a It makes a good screen, but it is very invasive. You see it, and you drive through the countryside and you'll see it, like you a little slough comes underneath the highway or something, and there'll be a whole bunch of We used to call it Georgia cane. It's got some other names, but a roundo is its proper name. It's a tough one to control. Yeah, especially when it's around things you care about, plants you don't want to get.
Speaker 4: So the practice that I do could could I could definitely limit on my property right the Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah you could. And this is extra work for you. But if you could go to your property line, dig a trench and put in I don't know how deep you need to go for this. When you dig one up, you'll know most of the major rhizomes are up fairly close to the surface. So let's say you got down at least twelve inches, maybe twelve to eighteen inches, and you had a vertical wall like a They make things that are thick thick plastic that are made for creating a barrier underground. Some people will use ten in that same way, although ten doesn't last forever, but create that wall barrier, then it can't come across to your side. So if the city won't cooperate, that would save you the constant having to retreat.
Speaker 4: Okay, great, Thank you very much for information.
Speaker 2: You bet good luck with that. Thanks for being a listener, Thanks for being a caller. Appreciate that a lot. Stephen. All right, folks, are we here? Yeah, I've been telling you today that I'm going to be at Katie Ace Hardware Katie Ace Hardware next Saturday. I'll be there from twelve to two, twelve to two, And if you go to Katie Ace Hardware and bring me samples, I'll be glad to look at those, to identify them or to diagnose them, depending on you know what kind of sample it is. You can bring me pictures on your phone. We'll do that. We're gonna have a lot of giveaways. We always do. And Ace Hardware's are just wonderful places to go. I mean a decision to coming out and see me asking your questions, you're right there for everything you're going to need for your fall gardening, your fall landscaping, lawn care and whatnot. Katie Ace Hardware is on pin Oak Road five point fifty nine pin Oak Road in Katie, Texas. So it's it's easy to get to. But when you come, come prepared with your questions and your samples, and come prepared to have a good time. We're going to have some fun there. I always like it's just by the way Pinoak Road. It's north of IT ten, So if you're going around I ten, you turn north to get to Katie. Katie Hardware. One of the favorite things I have is just having a good time with gardeners and you know on the phone. Here, I've got just a few maybe a minute or so with you for me to help you with your question. There we can just visit I mean, you know, and there are people that will walk you over if I say you need this or that, they'll walk over in the store to find what that product is. But we can talk about all kinds of things. It's a lot better opportunity for you to get one on one to eye help from me out there. And again, Katie is Hardware. So where do you live? Where in that area do you live? I hope you'll come out Katie. We got listeners out there in Sealy. There's a pretty close chance. Drive on over Eagle a come on up, Come up from wherever you are and let's see you next Saturday from twelve to two again Katie Hardware and Pennok Road just north of by ten and we are going to have a good time looking forward to that kind of winding down appearances. So if you would like to get out to one of the appearances, don't delay, because we're just about done with that and a Katie Hardware visit would be a good time for you to come out and to do that. I have here. Pat from Fort Bend on the phone. Hey, Pat, how can we help?
Speaker 13: Hey?
Speaker 19: I have a question about how close you can get concrete to a pecan tree before it damages any roots, because I know it has to get the water.
Speaker 12: Down through the roots.
Speaker 19: And my husband wants to redo our deck and concrete and we've got a nice pecantry right beside it.
Speaker 22: So I just want little ammunition here.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, you're putting me on the spot. Okay, all right, Pat, So here's here. Here's the deal. There's not a black and white line. Okay. So if you were to get in a bird's eye flying above, you're a hummingbird. You're hovering above the pecan tree, looking straight down. You see the trunk. The roots are going out as far as the branches, and then two and a half times that far in all directions. So anywhere you put something down, you're gonna be covering some roots. But the closer you get to the trunk, the more branches. So now, from that hummingbird's eye view, imagine that's a big pie. And where are you going to take your knife and slice across the pie? If you slice right next to the trunk, you've taken half the root system off because everything going out in all directions, you've cut in half of it off. You go out maybe where you just come in a third from the outer branch bread and you've taken very little of the root system. Again, think of a pie and you slice it across with a knife, with the trunk in the middle of the pie, and so you determine how big is this trunk, how far away did the branches go, how far in are you going to come. That's the percentage of the roots that you're going to hurt. Now, if there's a time to do it, it would be now because we're entering the fall season and the stresses are lower. But next summer if you do this, the part of the roots that didn't get covered with the slab need to get extra TLC and water because the tree is having to get all of its nutrients and water from living roots which are going to be over there. The others are going to slowly mostly die the ones you cover up because they're not ready for that kind of covering. Had you put the slab in and then planted a tree, that would be a different story. But right now that tree thinks it can have roots where you're about to say it can't.
Speaker 19: Okay, Okay, may I ask one more question shot about trees. Okay, I have a whole bunch of camarillas in ground. When and how do I separate them?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean you could, you could do that now. They're they're gonna bloom, you know, late in the wintertime, so it falls a good time to separate ahead and dig them up, separate them out, and get them reset asap. They are putting on the leaves. As things get cooler, they're gonna be interested in growing again. Emma Ellis is from a part of the world I believe it's South Africa where they have hot, hot, dry late summers and they basically go dormant at the end of summer. And so people that have them in pots here will sometimes set their pots on the side and let them just dry out and shrivel and during the late summer and then pop them back up again and that rejuvenates them and they bloom much better as a result of that. Okay, So get that dividing done asap, because they're fixing the kick in the gear and get ready for what's going to be a very beautiful show.
Speaker 19: Okay, Well, thank you, So much for your help.
Speaker 12: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: All right, Pat, thanks for listening. Glad to have you as a listener. Look forward to you come up. See me in Katie is harder if you get a chance next weekend. Well, the music is playing the what do they say? The Fat Lady has sun? So here we go. I'm glad you're listening. I thank you for that. Any questions during the week go to my website gardeningwiskip dot com. Follow us on the Facebook Instagram I'm scume the Facebook page and the Instagram page for garden Line, and there you will find constant posts giving you a little tips and tricks and things. I'm going to get something up on nematodes this coming week, and I got some other stuff too to put up. In the meantime, We'll see you next Saturday, once you get to put kda's hardware on your calendar.