Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham. If you have a comment, send it to me Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, Follow us on Twitter and Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook, dot com, Slash Radio Detectives. Well before we do get started, our listener support, Kim Hayne continues, you can support the Kimpayn with a one time donation support dot Great Detectives dot net. All donations are seven dollars or more, receive access to our premium sign and with a donation of twenty dollars or more, will send you your choice of several ebooks, including my novel Slime Incorporated and All I Needed to Know I Learned from Colombo, plus an additional thank you gift. Among the options we do have available at the twenty dollars level are the Perrymason Mysteries from Colonial Radio, Theater on the Air full cast audio dramas based on the original novels by Earl Stanley Gardner, and at the one hundred dollars level will send you your choice.
Speaker 2: Of Neural Wolf or Poirot.
Speaker 1: Audiobooks available through audible dot com. You can also support the campaign on an ongoing basis at Patreon dot Great Detectives dot net, and there's also a mailiing address Peelbox one five nine one three Boise, Idaho eight three seven one five. Be sure and make checks payable to Adam Gret and include in there your email address and any thank you gifts you would lock. Now it's time for today's episode of the Adventures of Philip Morrow. The original air date April the eighteenth of nineteen fifty and the tunnel the angry Eagle.
Speaker 3: Get this and get it straight. Crime is a sucker's road. Those who travel had wind up in a gut out the prison of the grave. This time I was in the country where the knight should have been nothing but peace and quiet. But a pair of angry eagles changed all that. One was solid golden, too close to a betted copse. The other weigh one hundred and sixty pounds and was too quick with his fists.
Speaker 4: It happened like this.
Speaker 5: From the pett of Raymond tranver Outspending, author of crime fiction, comes his most famous character in the Adventures of Philip Marlowe Now with Gerald Moore starred as Philip Marlowe. We bring you tonight's exciting story The Gray Eagles.
Speaker 4: Hello, this is.
Speaker 2: Philip marlow Please clover Lake, California calling.
Speaker 4: This is marlow on your loss.
Speaker 6: Please Hello Malo, Babe Jurney remember me light heavy contender in thirty nine?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, sure, I remember you. You still at that bar in Southgate.
Speaker 6: No, no, I'm back in the game trainer, this time for wellerweight.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 6: His name is Danny Eagley. He's another Barney Rock, believe me.
Speaker 4: Oh kidding, Yeah, but he's in trouble.
Speaker 6: Come on out where you feel. Clover Lake's only twenty miles. You can be here by six, just outside of Malibu, up on the hill.
Speaker 4: What's your boy's trouble? Baby plenty?
Speaker 6: And it could end up being his life. Not step on it film. Oh and listen, you're a sports writer from Detroit, not a private detective.
Speaker 3: You got it, got it, leave it now, babe. It was an hour's drive the Malibu Beach in a film colony where the convertibles out numbered the hot tops five to one, and another thirty minutes up into the mountains along a steep spiral of the cat on which at every turn made more of the Pacific below and less of.
Speaker 4: Malibu, until finally I was at the top.
Speaker 3: My right there was a dirt road which a freshly painted sign said led to Clover Lake Training Camp, Private Raleigh Lance owner. I drove on into what turned out to be a converted summer hotel marked office, A couple of buildings that had been stables, and maybe two dozen cabins spread out over a sloping green acre that led to a cliff's age in the lake some hundred feet below. When I pulled in and parked in a gravel semi circle which was close to a roofover boxing ring where a lot of mussels and sweatpants was making a punching bag sound.
Speaker 4: Like a machine gun.
Speaker 3: I saw a Babe Dirney coming taught me in ducks and white T shirt with an angry fighting eagle.
Speaker 4: As in Danny.
Speaker 3: It was more a bay window and less hair. Yeah the last time, but still the same quick smile under her nose that spread over half his face and extended hands.
Speaker 4: He could have passed for a catches made a feeling he didn't take any longer. Things are worse, Oh, Danny got canned and now are gone. He's burn enough. Told Lance and his wife where they both could go, and I think he's gonna personally see to it that they get it. I wait a minute, Wait a minute, who's this Lance? Oh Raley? Lance? He runs this place model strictly the big time, big shot managers see that. The fight says to be a one whose license plate the lowest number you can get? Yeah, half point in French cups and build up heels. It's got ten fighters here, Danny's won. And the wife, Oh yeah, maira a lot of curves, a lot of wall paint, and never enough clothes on, know what I mean? Well, also not much to keep her busy. And Lance hasn't got time to run around on in Malibu, which means sheep sized the boys. Uh yeah, Danny Eagle included not to the kid ever did anything about it? Mind? You figured you were just being friendly. Come on, let's move on down to the lake like I was just showing you around, Hey, Jersey, Yeah you can quit. Now do a mile in the shower. Okay, anyhow, Phil, this morning, Lance and the missus head of Beef. When the big shot got mad, Red Mira off and called Danny and tried the same thing on him. Didn't take no, so the boss candom The kid went back to his cabin and started kicking the fixtures around. It's what I called you got a lot of temper fill. Yeah, but what do you want me to do? Help me get him out of here? Before he tangled with Lance, he said he wasn't gonna get off the ground still. Things were squared away, and I'll hold it right now over there near the edge of the cliff. Friend of Lance's just Weatherwax. Was that old man. Yeah, he hay seed to look at her, listen to But he owns about every piece of land around here. Rich retired and has just learned about prize fighters. Got some glad he Also he's got a mud fence faced daughter. He's real anxious to pass. Yeah. Also, he's coming this way. Yeah, don't encourage gab.
Speaker 2: It's a special You were well, babe, my boy, what shape are you in tonight?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 4: Well, we're not quite fighting trim mister Weatherwax. I was just showing mister Marlow here around the grounds. He's a sports writer sports. Yeah, well, gad to make you quins.
Speaker 7: Thank you yeah shit, I mean, I think about what I've missed all these ye's.
Speaker 4: Excuse me, but dude, we're in a hurry. I want mister Marlow to see the lake before it's dark. We'll see your dinner up the lodge later. Oh yeah, just good bye, yeah bye original wind Bay. But Marlow, like I was saying, I gotta have your help. What can I do now? The kids through? Babe?
Speaker 8: Sure?
Speaker 4: But look, Phil, I know other managers. I also know the makings of a champ when I see him and Danny Eagles got the step and okay, I like him. Phil, you got to get next to Lance. If he thinks you're doing a feature on him, it'll be your best friend a couple hours, a little Napoleon.
Speaker 3: And when I'm buddy, buddy, I steer him away from motoring his muscle land to play Pretzel with Danny while you're trying to get him out of here.
Speaker 4: Is that it's right? I already planted that you're coming up here, So what you gotta Hey, look up at the lodge on the porch there that's him and Myra going in the office. Mike you okay, but first tell me one thing, Baby, is an he know about me. No, no, he turned against me. If he did. He likes to settle this stuff his own way. That's why you got to get to Lance. In or out of the ring. It still takes two.
Speaker 3: To make a fight, phil Yeah, all right, baby, I'll do my best, eh, Philip Morlow, Detroit Daily News.
Speaker 4: I wonder if there is such a paper. Doesn't sound too bad, mist and Myra.
Speaker 6: I don't what anymore?
Speaker 7: Talk with you?
Speaker 4: That's funny.
Speaker 8: You drag me up here and you and drive real hard to understand this. I dropped ten grands, ten thousand berries.
Speaker 4: Last night and had funk Steve Rocker.
Speaker 8: I'm not very happy.
Speaker 2: So you want a fighter who stings.
Speaker 9: What that got to do with me?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 8: But if you'd let him alone, he wouldn't look so tired in there.
Speaker 2: All the cheap cracks you've ever made, that's about the Why go on say it. You never fled it, you never played up to You were only being friendly.
Speaker 4: Go on, split it up.
Speaker 2: Why don't you don't think I won't when we're all alone.
Speaker 3: Oh excuse me, I didn't mean to eavesdrop. I was looking for mister Lance. Raleigh Lance, that's me.
Speaker 4: What do you want. My name is Philip Marlow, Detroit Daily News. Mister Lance, Oh.
Speaker 8: Oh yes, coming to mister Mandow. There's note here on my desk. I should expect you from an interview.
Speaker 4: Glad to see you. Oh, thank you. I don't believe I've.
Speaker 5: Oh oh, my wife, mister Modow, missus Lance, how do you do well from Detroit?
Speaker 2: She said?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How are things at the Beaver Club? That's quite a spot, I.
Speaker 4: Hear, Oh yeah, quite.
Speaker 2: I used to go with a reporter there. He told me about the wild parties at their press club. Busy beaver Nights, they used to call him.
Speaker 4: Yes, busy Beaver night, lots of fun.
Speaker 2: I'll bet uh.
Speaker 8: Marah, mister Morrow, and I'd like to talk a while, so so I'll be running along.
Speaker 2: It's a pleasure, mister Morrow. Thank you, good viral all else, see you later.
Speaker 8: Yeah, hell, mister Manda, have a cheat drink?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Well thanks, quite as fun you have him, mister Lance, make it Raleigh fella.
Speaker 5: All right, Yeah, it's okay, But you're not up here to write about a training.
Speaker 8: Camp, are you? Of course? I I know background counts, but I like this drink. The soda helps too. The Scotch is a thing man health same.
Speaker 4: Ah, yeah, you're right about that Scotch.
Speaker 8: Mister what is it Kelly, I'm busy now did you give him his walking papers?
Speaker 4: No? Big?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 4: And he stopped me.
Speaker 10: Mister Lance said he give Danny the word hisself, that he could handle him.
Speaker 8: That who does he think he is?
Speaker 10: He said, he just didn't want trouble, mister Lance. Besides, he said Danny was taking a walk. Yeah, well, I'm going to give him the too. I've got enough on he's without telling the louse, he trainer who's on my own payroll of pard me, mister Milow, I'll.
Speaker 8: Want to be a couple of minutes.
Speaker 4: Sure, sure, help yourself another drink.
Speaker 8: We'll talk later after dinner about eight oh and yeah, catch best cigar made, let's.
Speaker 4: Okay, best cigary seat smart day one.
Speaker 9: Yeah, hey, huh, don't go away mad. My hobby always runs out on people.
Speaker 2: Even private detectives, slip sid busy, even knight. Indeed, I made it up. I never even heard of Detroit.
Speaker 4: Why did you beat the trap.
Speaker 2: Lands? The jealous jerk is threatened to hire a detective a.
Speaker 11: Half a dozen times. Uh, after all this fuss over Danny Eagle, you were about due.
Speaker 2: Well shall we walk? It's a nice night.
Speaker 4: Let's leave it that way. Eh, what do you mean, isn't Danny enough for one day?
Speaker 11: Listen, mister, you're starting off with two left feet. I was friendly with Danny Eagle period, the same, only Steve was a little dull, a mind dedicated to comic books.
Speaker 4: All fighter not according to his last above.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Rocco moved like he was drugged and collapsed in a third. So it's my fault. Oh, the big shot is quite a loser. And don't bother with your next question. I can feel it coming. Why have I stuck?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well it belongs here someplace.
Speaker 2: Well, I've stuck because well, because I thought that each battle was going to be out last It's sooner or later he'd have time for me.
Speaker 4: It's a busy guy.
Speaker 11: So it was King Solomon, but he always had room for his wife. I thought this place was going to be our answer, just the two of us plus the peace and cry of the country was malleble on hand.
Speaker 2: For a change of pace. So what happens?
Speaker 4: Still busy? Huh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so busy.
Speaker 11: It spends eight hours a day with Jess Witherwax the guy never heard of until he started this camp, but a guy who thrills to the lives and loves of Rodiy Lamp. And that leaves me with his daughter, Clementine. If I don't talk to the fighters. Clementine, whose shoes are number nine with an iQue to match.
Speaker 2: Good Night.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, Admira, where are you going?
Speaker 2: Going as far as my cabin?
Speaker 11: And an old fashioned cry or maybe just an old fashion I don't know which.
Speaker 2: Good Night, ad.
Speaker 4: Myra pivoted on a spiked heel and stopped off. Unto the dog.
Speaker 3: I knew that I had to move fast, because when next she and Hubby met, the fact that I was a private detective was going to become public domain, and from there on out I'd be of little use to Babe Derney, and if Lance's muscle playmates caught up to me, of no use to anybody. I located Danny Eagle's cabin among half a dozen others, peeking out of a thick grove of pepper trees, showing light from a half open door.
Speaker 4: Hey, anybody home?
Speaker 3: Inside there was a closed valise on the edge of the only bed, and on the dress of some money, a package of lemon life savers in a thigh class, a gold one with a gold angry eagle on it that said Danny was still around.
Speaker 4: Then he got the top for himself. I think you're in the wrong cabins. I haven't takated yet. Well, don't you think it easy all the way around? If you did Danny?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 4: I'm not looking for the easy way, mister. I've been walking and thinking about that. That and a pair of people.
Speaker 2: I don't like a pair.
Speaker 4: I want to square myself with mister and missus Rawleigh Lance. Oh.
Speaker 3: It was purely a case of mistaken identity, but it served as a reminder that it still took two to make a fight. The only chance I had left was to get next to Raleigh Lance and keep him away from Dan Eagle. I spent a half hour going from the lodge to Lance's empty cabin, of the dining room, and every other place where I thought he might be. Finally, I remember Jess Weatherwax, the one man fan Club, whom I located back up at the office.
Speaker 4: Hell it was peeling off his coat and getting ready for Canasta.
Speaker 3: Was something uncombed and built like a length of pipe. Who had to be daughter Clementine.
Speaker 4: What can I do? Mister Weatherwax? Have you seen Lance?
Speaker 8: I know, missus Marlow we just came in you deals is important?
Speaker 4: Very Oh?
Speaker 7: Excuse me child, mister Marlow My daughter, Clementine, how.
Speaker 4: Do you do?
Speaker 2: Very fine? Thank you, mister Marlow. Oh's babe Gurney.
Speaker 4: Excuse me, Phil, come with me quick. What's wrong? Lances? Did mar twise at the edge of the lake on the rocks accident? I don't know. Come on, Phil, in just a moment.
Speaker 5: The second act of Philip Marlowe, But first, the confusion created by Gracy Allen has never been more clearly, more hilariously defined that it will be this Wednesday night, when a writer for a national magazine comes to interviewer for the writer also meets some of Gracie's friends who present highly conflicting stories which Gracie does not untangle. It's another merry mad mix up which could come only from George Burns and Gracy Allen. So be listening this Wednesday on most of these same CBS stations now with our star Gerald Moore, the second act of Philip Marlowe and Tonight's story The Angry Eagle.
Speaker 3: Shop Lake Show of stones like countless fighters. Fistsit hamm and all alight out of rolley. Lance and as we stared down at in the circle of light from the electric land and Dave Jerney's hand began to dance over the cops. I took the land and turned him away from the twisted body at his feet, and sent a back of the path to camp, find a phone and quietly call the police.
Speaker 4: After that, I took another quick look at all that was left to the little big shot.
Speaker 3: I went up the path myself and got as far as the jagged hole in the rail where Lance had gone through, just enough time to see a few things before I was met by Myra, just like she'd been before, except for a handful of nervous fingers that just couldn't leave her neck line alone.
Speaker 2: I saw a baby tell me about Raleigh. Is the truth?
Speaker 4: It's true? All right? Your husband's dead. They've just left. So you must have been on your way here when you ran into him.
Speaker 2: How come I had a date to meet my husband for a check?
Speaker 4: Why here? He didn't strike me as being the romatic type.
Speaker 2: He wasn't. Neither was he the type to talk where he could be overheard, especially when he was cornered.
Speaker 4: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: I put Raleigh's back against the wall to night.
Speaker 11: I finally got hold of a way to make that inflated ego turn loose, his favorite trinket, meaning you yes.
Speaker 4: Allow.
Speaker 2: About an hour ago I found out that Raleigh was crooked.
Speaker 4: Fist fight.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: When I left you off, I went to our cabin for a drink, but the liquor was all gone. Plants kept spare bottles in the back of his closet.
Speaker 4: So I went to look.
Speaker 2: Fun what a briefcase? Wasn't Raleigh? So I opened it.
Speaker 11: There was thirty five thousand dollars in it and a note congratulating him on his coaching of Steve Rocker. Rocer was drugged in that last fight Marlow. Raleigh sold him out and I can prove it.
Speaker 3: Oh that's what you two were going to hash out over here. Huh the price of your silence, which was divorced and no strings.
Speaker 4: For me.
Speaker 2: He wanted to think that he was going to give me his answer, but out it's all unnecessary.
Speaker 4: You're so right, I recommend I want to show you something. See here on the ground, What do you.
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I don't see an somebody put up quite an argument right here before Lance went through the railing.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yes, and here's something else.
Speaker 2: What's that man?
Speaker 4: The gold Tie class baby.
Speaker 3: With an eagle life, Danny, Yeah, Danny Eagle. It's changes things funny.
Speaker 7: Huh, Danny.
Speaker 2: I can't believe Danny would murder Rally.
Speaker 3: You better start believing it and get back to your cabin and stay there with the doors and windows locked. You are half the beef now that he's gone this far. Chances of good he's got something nice thought up for you too. Unless I'm making the king size mistaken, you and Danny.
Speaker 4: Turn out to be a team.
Speaker 2: Are you crazy?
Speaker 3: It could figure both ways, baby, So I'll keep it in mind until I get something more to do with it. Meanwhile, like I said, take care of yourself. I dropped the Thai Class into my pocket and started looking for its owner who could be number one candidate for a noose. I decided to try Danny's cabin first, But when I got there, it was dark, with everything.
Speaker 4: Just as I'd left it.
Speaker 3: Until I turned to go, someone was framing the door. It was a gentleman farmer, a Novis fight fan, Jess Weather.
Speaker 2: Weegs having special monom.
Speaker 4: As a matter of fact, I am I figured you would.
Speaker 7: Be what would being a reporter because because I know there's been some kind of a ruckus here tonight.
Speaker 4: How did you know there was trouble here?
Speaker 7: What I happened to be passing by a certain phone a few minutes ago, and I heard that trainer, Babe Journey calling the police.
Speaker 3: Okay, as long as you know that much, you may as well of the rest. Somebody cheved the bus of this place.
Speaker 4: I throw a railing into one hundred feet of thin air.
Speaker 7: He's dead or Lance murdered by one of his own men, or no, I don't believe he's a good Managers boys loved him, every one of them.
Speaker 3: You should be so loved, especially by a guy like Danny Danny Eagle none other.
Speaker 4: And that's only half of it. You're a good manager.
Speaker 3: Mister Lance was a fight fixer, one who even drug his own stable to be sure to lose. He was as crooked as a hyenas back leg.
Speaker 8: He rearrings boxing.
Speaker 3: Fats, putting it mildly. His own wife, Mayra pinned that on him just tonight. She didn't go into detail.
Speaker 4: She didn't have to.
Speaker 3: She had enough proof to make it stick because she was getting a divorce on the strength of it.
Speaker 8: Oh, I find it mighty hard to believe. All is mister Marlowe.
Speaker 4: There's something else. I'm not a reporter.
Speaker 3: I'm a private detective called in by Babe Derney because he was worried.
Speaker 4: Now I am anyway, Here's what I'm getting at.
Speaker 3: If you're really sincere about liking your violence, according to Marcras of Queensbury rules, you can do.
Speaker 4: Me a big favor. What can I do? Keep an eye on Myra Lance for me? Uh huh. She left her in the cottage, Dan Eagle, maybe only half finished with what he started.
Speaker 8: I'll do my best. You can count on that set.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: I'm going up to the office of the lodge now and find out if anyone saw Danny leave the grounds.
Speaker 4: I'll see it.
Speaker 11: Oh, hello there, mister Marlowe to get enough story material from the box fighters for a.
Speaker 4: Couple of novels. Clementine, you alone here and now.
Speaker 2: My daddy and I were playing Canasta, but he left a while back, went off without his coat too.
Speaker 3: See, I know you've been here in the office ever since then. Why yes, why, maybe you're gonna help.
Speaker 2: Me weirdly, but you've just got to help me. First, mister Morrow, have you got a cigarette paper?
Speaker 4: A cigarette paper?
Speaker 2: You know the macers? I'm trying to roll me a cigarette?
Speaker 9: Ran out of mind.
Speaker 5: I found my daddy's tobacco, and then I absolutely emptied his coat pockets here looking for a paper, but there wasn't any.
Speaker 4: You wouldn't have a Oh.
Speaker 3: No, no, I'm afraid not, Clementine, Here, I have one of mine, I in fact have two. Now my question, how did you happen to see Danny Eagle go out go.
Speaker 4: On out to what?
Speaker 2: Mister Marlow?
Speaker 3: Huh oh, never mind, listen, Clementine. Did this thing come out of your daddy's coat pocket too?
Speaker 2: That old ticket stuck?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How did that little pocket and the big one on the right side? It was, mister Morrow, what's wrong?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I better find out right now. Because I ran out of the office and passed the ampty rope ring and told.
Speaker 4: Where the cabin stood.
Speaker 3: I was full of the conviction that clover Lake Training Camp was due for a second copse any minute.
Speaker 4: Only this time I knew that some fast adjectives I myself had tossed off and not a hot headed fighter.
Speaker 3: Were playing cause and effect. As I made for the door of the Lance cabin. There was no help in the fact that my volunteered god, Jess Weatherwax, was nowhere in sight.
Speaker 4: I called Myra's names twice and still got no answer.
Speaker 3: So I stepped back to go to work on the door with my shoulder and the lock turned from inside.
Speaker 2: What is it, Mala?
Speaker 4: What are you doing here at the moment? Myra, Baby?
Speaker 3: I'm counting lucky stars that kind of kept you hail and haughty in spite of me in my big.
Speaker 2: Mouth, I'm I'm afraid that I don't know what you mean.
Speaker 3: I mean I almost spilled all, including the clincher, which was where you could be located. All this minds you to the guy who know that was in it, Woul Lance. Right up there was Adam's apple. The fact that you're still breathing means that he must have given up and.
Speaker 4: Beat it because of that top or I sent him here to God. You say, what's the matter. Aren't you even curious?
Speaker 2: Why? Yes, sure, of course, don't move.
Speaker 7: Oh no, you have a talent for stupid audacity. And man Meyer's still breathing because up to the point where you knocked on this door. She still didn't realize my connection. But when you shut up, I couldn't take a chance. I was forced to bring this gun into things and wait behind the door. Obviously you both know, and I was.
Speaker 4: So relieved you still that frank enough to open the door. Myra. I stepped in shin first, and was happy about it. I was afraid to warn you I'll let you all move with a wax. Well, let it be.
Speaker 8: I have no choice.
Speaker 4: You have a lot of bodies to crawl out from underbusting that.
Speaker 8: Would be too hard.
Speaker 7: Dan's already framed for Ralli, his madam, framed by home by Rowley Lands himself. Such a simple little plan.
Speaker 8: I worked at that as I worked out everything else around here.
Speaker 4: Just for the record, how is it supposed to go?
Speaker 7: Once myyer knew about Rawley, she became dangerous to me. She had to be killed, So I told him how to set up the whole thing. You know, you're really enjoying yourself, aren't you, Frankly No, or I just don't intend to take the wrap for my late partner's stupid clumsiness.
Speaker 8: Oh but this has gone fine enough.
Speaker 4: Hey, he's got.
Speaker 8: And I still got a good right hand. My boy, Hey, stop it.
Speaker 4: Off, Hey, we're there, high off, hiy off, I tell you, my on, he's got to tell us the rest. Come on with a wax talk. What actually happened on the path of the.
Speaker 7: Lake wowls set up frame on dani Is. I told him to her by planning that eagle tig class at the weak spot in the rear, and then he made a lot of marks.
Speaker 4: In the path like there had been a fighter go ahead.
Speaker 7: And after that he went over to kick the rear loose. He tripped and he fell because of those shoes of his, with the hard, slick souls and build up heels.
Speaker 8: Silly little man.
Speaker 3: Well, it wasn't long until the boys from the Sheriff's office arrived with a good doctor, a lot of open notebooks, and an endless supply of questions.
Speaker 4: But finally all the pieces were fitted together.
Speaker 3: Very surprised, Danny Eagle, who had done a lot of thinking, was back from a second long walk, and the whole thing had boiled down to me alone at the bedside of a heavy jawed trainer. What a happy look on his ugly posts for the first time that night, My.
Speaker 4: Boy's going to be champ now Marlow. Thanks to you, Oh, thanks to you, babe. We were almost down for the count when you showed up. Hey, how's the shoulder that? Hey? Look, tell me something. How'd you back old Weatherwacks into that corner? Oh? Well?
Speaker 3: I found a ticket stuff from his coat pocket with a number A two on it. Weatherwick's claimed that he'd never seen a fight or met Lance until the camp opened up here, but that stub proved that just a month ago he sat right beside Lance.
Speaker 4: That's right, Dan's always head. She wanted the arena checked. In short, Weatherax was a liar who dropped his god, and in this rect you do that just once and you're out. He see that the eagle keeps his God up, will you, babe? I'm gonna be betting on him from now on. I don't give it another thought. Good night, Phil, And I didn't give it another thought. Neither did I think about an arrogant little guy who was phony heels and twisted.
Speaker 3: Mind that dumped him into his own trap, or about a fat gambler who traded in perverted victories and rotten, hopeless defeats. Instead, I thought about the sun coming up over the hills and a nice big platter with a ham on with on him, and then a good solid eight.
Speaker 4: Hours sleep, nothing else. You know, sometimes I think I have no soul.
Speaker 5: The Adventures of Philip Marlowe bringing you Raymond Chandler's most famous characters, star Gerald Moore, are produced and directed by Norman McDonald and are written for radio by Robert Mitchell and Gene Leavitt. Gerald Moore can currently be seen starring in Republics. The Blonde Bandit featured in Our Cast to Night were Joan Banks, Barney Phillips Wilms, Herbert Howard mcneer, Elliott Reid, Frank Gerstel, and Anne Morrison. The special music is composed and conducted by Richard Arrant. Be shuring me with us again next week, when Philip Marlowe say.
Speaker 3: This time a nervous breakdown in a driving rain, a cape with a high color, A tiny sliver of glass led me from the ballet, and a beautiful dancer.
Speaker 4: The edge of a cliff and death.
Speaker 5: A few months ago, our newspapers and magazines were full of articles and pictures showing the progress we've made during the first half of the twentieth century. That progress brought about by the American way of doing business means that today we enjoy the highest standard of living of any nation in the world. We can keep our standards high, and we can increase the benefits for all of us by continuing to produce efficiently under a free economic system. This is Roy Rowan speaking. Now, stay tuned for Pursuit, which follows immediately over most of these same CBS stations. There's the CBS where Burns and Allen are heard every Wednesday night, the Columbia Broadcasting System.
Speaker 9: This is Andrew J.
Speaker 4: Graham, author of the web surface series Oh and a Man of His Wife.
Speaker 9: You're listening to the great detectives of Old time radio.
Speaker 1: Welcome back. I have to admit that some of the ads for the Burns and Allen series makes me a bit wistful, because in this whole nineteen forty nine fifty season over CBS they moved from NBC. Most of that series is actually lost, So I would love to hear some of those episodes, but it looks like I have to settle for the previous. By what else can I say? Just another really solid ad done episode of Philip Marlowe behind Us and another one ahead next week. A reminder our listener support, Kim Hayne continues, you can support the campaign on a monthly basis at Patreon dot great Detectives dot net with as little as two dollars a month at our rookie level. Our immediate goals to hit the eight hundred dollars level in total donations so that we can upgrade the server as we move to two video theater episodes a month, and then when we hit the one thousand dollars level, we will sept for listener support campaigns. Save any advertisement sort of announcements for the post show commentary so you can support the show and that way at Patreon, dot great Detectives dot net, or also one time contribution support dot Great Attractives dot net. All right, well, next week another episode of the Adventures of Philip Marlow, and tomorrow Nick carter U. In the meantime, your comments box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter and Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook, dot com, Slash Radio Detectives from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham signing off.