Speaker 1: Welcome to Shine, Delusion, Shine, the radical art of dreaming beyond boundaries. I am Vicki Todd, and together with Dr. Pat, we will learn to push the boundaries of our minds to think delusionally and create fertile ground for our big dreams to seed, grow, and manifest. Each episode, we will gain more ability to think delusionally and cultivate beyond boundaries faith. that we can accomplish dreams which seem unreachable. Shine, Delusion, Shine is a springboard to believing, dreaming, and thinking beyond the ordinary and a catalyst to living a more fulfilling, destiny-driven life. You were born with dreams, gifts, and talents you are meant to use to make this world brighter. Let your delusional dreams shine. It all starts now.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, I'm Dr. Patton. I want to tell you, we have got a hot one for you right now. I want to ask everybody, how many of you out there, just for a moment, take a moment, how many of you have walked away from something that you are passionate about? Well, let me not be that blunt. How many of you may be almost like you put it out of your memory that you had this passion, this purpose? You know what that's like? It's not quite putting out a fire. It's like smoldering. It's not quite gone. But today's episode is more than that. Quiet quitting your calling. Vicki Todd, this is her show. This is a topic that I'm telling you, all y'all out there know what we're talking about right now. But you're going to hear from Vicki on how this insidious topic thing shows up like a wart you've had since you were a child and somehow ignored until the point it got to be the size of a football. Vicki, thank you for this topic today. Let's talk about this. What does this mean for you? Because it's not just about a job, although it is. It could be about anything, relationships. It could be about what you like to do for fun. As a matter of fact, I'm going through this myself. But I'm not going to bring it up at the moment. But why did this come up for you? And let's talk about this in the context of what this year was to be about.
Speaker 1: This topic, it just, it sets me on fire. It's just, it's so important. The reason that I wanted to talk about this today, I was listening to a podcast. It was an Oprah podcast. And it was about women who are quiet quitting their marriages. And so basically in a nutshell, the women that have been in these relationships for a while, the women are wanting to evolve and grow and follow their gifts and, you know, start rising higher. And their husbands aren't wanting to do that. They're wanting to stay stable and static and just, you know, the status quo. And so these women who were speaking were so miserable and afraid and You know, I don't know what's happening. What can we do? How can I, you know, get him to be pulled along? And they were just quiet quitting their marriages, meaning that they're going to stay there and just kind of let this happen while trying to grow and evolve themselves. And that just really hit me because I have been there. You know, I can't, everybody's circumstances are different. All I can do is speak on my circumstance. But I was there with a marriage that I probably shouldn't have been in in the first place. And, you know, it came along that I had the opportunity to go for my doctorate degree and start teaching. And that just did not go over well with my spouse at the time. And I've had the same experience with another romantic relationship with friendships. And we actually learned in one of my doctoral classes that it's very common for when one person in a relationship wants to grow, wants to fly higher. And in this context, in the class, of course, it was to go, you know, get more education. It's common for the other partner, and I'm sorry, it was usually women who are wanting to grow and men who are not, but it's common for the other partner to try to sabotage And I thought, I so experienced that. I was experiencing it during the time I was taking that class in the early 2000s. And so the partner kind of tries to what is really crab bucket mentality. You know, you have all these crabs in a bucket and one crab is trying their hardest, you know, to get toward the top of the bucket and escape to grow higher. And the other crabs keep pulling them back down. And it's really kind of a thing of maybe that partner is afraid Maybe that partner is saying, oh, I don't want life to change. I want things to stay as they are right now. Excuse me. Maybe it's that the person who's wanting to grow is holding up a mirror to that person's face and showing them, reminding them that you're not growing. And so they kind of want to pull you back down to be at their level. And so... quiet quitting and just staying in that relationship, I could not do it. I just felt myself shrinking into this tiny ball. And I really kind of became cowed in the relationship. And so I've heard that with relationships. And I've also heard the jobs that generations younger than me are kind of quiet quitting their jobs.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, I'm sorry. And when you're talking about quiet quitting, we need to talk about what quiet quitting means for people that don't know. You know, Mama Doris used to say, honey, yeah, no one to hold them and no one to fold them. What Mama Doris, you know, talked about too, but not quite in the same way, is when you're not sure about whether you want to hold them and you're not sure about whether you want to fold them, what you are is she used to say, honey, you're stuck in a crease. Oh, that's good. That's Mama Doris. And it took us like 40 freaking years to figure out what any of that meant because we were living it. But quiet quitting is a fascinating term. And we need to talk about it because some people have said to me, oh, you mean passive aggressive. I said, no, I don't mean that. I think we have not defined quiet quitting. And what does that mean for you?
Speaker 1: Well, when I was listening to these things and reading about the younger generations saying, And they've got a point. Basically, younger generations are saying, I want more work-life balance. I have to admit, I don't have the greatest balance with work-life. But, you know, they're kind of just doing the status quo in their jobs where I'm not going to go the extra. I'm just going to do what I need to do. I'm going to quit at five and go home. Don't call me on the weekends. Don't call me after hours. And that's not really being involved. Like you're disengaged. And so when I think about this in terms of our delusional dreams, I knew I had to get out of that marriage because I wouldn't be able to grow and fly and evolve if I stayed shrunk. I knew when I had that job of, you know, university professor, tenured chair of my department, 17 years I'd been teaching. And I had discovered through meditation that remember, you are on this planet to be an artist. Well, I was a public relations professor and I tried, I'm not saying this flippantly to say, oh yeah, I'll just quit your job. I tried for two years to balance being a professor, which is a six to seven day a week job and trying to fit in art. And my soul was literally shriveling, shrinking and dying. And the pain of not taking the leap got to be more than the fear. And that's what I've heard, you know, the podcast and reading about quiet quitting It's really afraid, a fear of the unknown, a fear of taking risks and I'll just stay where I am. And that just kills me because you cannot do that when pursuing your delusional dreams because that's not allowing you to be and live your authentic self. It's not allowing you to grow the way that you need to grow. And like your mother Dora said, you know, you're in that crease of, I don't want to go back, but I can't go forward right now. And so I'm not saying what you want and what you need to do. But in my experiences, I had to just leave, leave the marriage, leave the job and start over. And it was so scary. And I did not take that lightly. But I can tell you, you know, being on the other side, it hasn't been an easy journey. But I cannot imagine staying there and quiet quitting and not developing into who I was put on this planet to be. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know what I love about that? What we're really talking about is we're not just quitting a thing or an action. We're quitting on ourselves. Absolutely. That's what the quitting is about. And that's the point I think we're trying to make today. But, you know, here you are, you're understanding that there are some relationships. And I think for you, you knew your soul would shrivel up and die.
Speaker 1: Oh, absolutely. I know that sounds really dramatic, but it was absolutely true. I was miserable. And I thought you have to You have to take the blind leap of faith off of this cliff. No, you don't have a plan. No, you don't know what is going to happen. I didn't know how I was going to make money. What about health care? I knew that my mom was going to be so incredibly upset with me. And she was. But all of that pain has, you know, I've lived it. I've worked through it. I've learned from it. And it's turned into this beautiful book that I've written. Yeah. So it all is for a purpose. for something. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And let's talk about the book right now. Because, you know, what happens when you find your way out of the crevasse, or like my mom used to say, the crease, when you find your way out of that crease, however you do it, you can iron it, you can steam it, but somehow you're not creased anymore. You write a book. Let's talk about the book and the book journey for you. Because, you know, I always get asked the question, do you think you would have dot, dot, dot, if you would have stayed dot, dot, dot? Oh, but Right. And I really don't know the answer to that question because I always answer it. I have no idea. I just know where I am now. So let's talk about where you are now, because you have a book coming out. The book in itself has been a journey. And let's talk about that. Yeah, those words.
Speaker 1: Yes, was the idea of samskara, which I'd read about way back there, you know, when I quit my job, and I was starting to feel like you think, you know, once you finish the book, it'd be like, okay, that will be it.
Speaker 2: But no.
Speaker 1: And so I've kind of been experiencing all these things coming at me all of a sudden. And it's like, there's no time to rest, there's no time to think about it, poof, you know, you're being pushed out into the media. And so with You know, right now I'm in the week of doing the final proofreading. When I told the guy that I'm working with for six months to do the social media that, oh, you know, the publication date is September 22. He kind of freaked out. He's like, we've got to start making videos now. So in this week of proofreading, he sent me 15 scripts. And here's a link to a teleprompter, by the way. And I'm like, I've never done this before. And so we're going to do this next week. Um, there's a national publicity summit in October where it's two weeks of pitching to the media. And so there's another person who will help train me to pitch. And so I've been like, and you know, my publisher is like, okay, what book festivals are you going to apply for?
Speaker 2: What this, what that?
Speaker 1: And so it has reminded me the Sam scare, Sam Scarra feelings, which means, you know, something happened in the past that caused these negative feelings. They are buried deep, deep, deep inside of you. You think they're long gone. Something happens in the current present tense.
Speaker 2: It may not be.
Speaker 1: Exactly the same, but those feelings start bubbling up. I started having the same feelings as when the late 1990s, early 2000s, I got divorced. I'm going back for my doctorate degree. I'm feeling really victimized. Everything is just really coming at me. You can't get off the train because you have to finish your degree. You have to go interview. You have to get a job. And I remember telling a friend at the time, I want to just get off this merry-go-round for a while. It's going too fast and I feel overwhelmed. Well, these same feelings have come up with all these things with what are you going to do with the book type of thing. And so it helps me to define it. It's like, what are you feeling and why? And I'm like, that's the same feeling, but time out, sister, because... this is your dream. You don't want to get off this merry-go-round this time. So how can I take those feelings where I'm starting to feel a little victimized again and negative, how can I turn that around and say, okay, I'm not getting off the merry-go-round. How can I react to this in a different way?
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: I was reading the Sean Aker book. He's one of the happiness and positivity researchers. And he had a great tactic. It's so simple. He said, it's okay to admit I'm overwhelmed. This is too much coming at me.
Speaker 2: I'm tired.
Speaker 1: You know, where's my break type of thing. It's okay to admit that. But he said, add a strategic positive addendum onto it. So I can say, you know, I am totally overwhelmed. All of these people are wanting to do me to do all these things that I haven't done in 11 years. And, you know, I've been basically a hermit for the past year and a half writing this book. And now you're pushing me out into the media and I have to pitch really quickly. Oh, well, my addendum is thank you for all of these divine connection people who are helping me, training me to grow higher more than I could on my own. And so that has, you know, I can just feel joy bubbling up in my heart when I say that. And like not having a quote unquote public job for 11 years because, you know, I quit my professor job in 2015. The one thing that popped into my mind, I'm so thankful that we started doing this podcast because this came along and we started in January 25. Thank God we've been doing this for a year and a half because this is live and you have to be, you know, on it. If I hadn't been doing that, I would be freaking out. So it's kind of like, you know, Maya Angelou used to say, when there's a storm, say thank you, because there's a rainbow in the clouds. So that's basically what Sean Aker is saying. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, it's so interesting you brought that up, because I want to talk to you about this, because it gets us to the place of, you know, some of the conversations that I'm having with people. They don't always say the word overwhelmed, but clearly that's what's happening for them. And You know, what happens is the idea of actually doing a show like this and how this can benefit somebody who actually has a lofty dream that is not going to manifest for a year. And I like to call it, this is a training wheel playground for your future visibility. You know, some people are already visible and they want to do a show because of whatever reasons. But out of everybody we've had, nobody is more visible than you. When you started this at the beginning, you are actually painting on air.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And people, I didn't want to do that.
Speaker 2: I know you didn't.
Speaker 1: And I literally said, hell no, that that was coming from a place of fear. And so, you know, you said, well, maybe you should think about why you had such a strong, rude, visceral reaction to that. But, you know, I did it, and it was great. And every show you do, tell people what's behind you. See, people may not know that when you show up, this is your art. Yes. That's not a prop. No. So when I quit my job in 2015, that was my goal was to become an artist, and I was doing expressive female portraits. My sculptures, this is a half part deer, part female body. I didn't start sculpting until 2018. And I found out, you know, it's just one of those things that kept coming up. I know it was a seed in my heart. I never thought I would be a sculptor. And I kept thinking, try it, try it, try it. And I did, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Good at it.
Speaker 1: So, you know, it's these little God seeds, you know, they've been planted in you and they don't all sprout at once. But, you know, take that. And that's one thing I love in Sean Aker's book, He has these seven beliefs that are core beliefs. And one of them is there's something greater than me. And you know that I love this because I depend so much on my higher power for me that's got to follow through on this journey. But they have actual scientific academic research where even one of his co-workers at Harvard who doesn't believe in anything higher than him, he's like, yeah, that's a good point. That would work. One of the things was that not only does it give you longevity and, you know, better social connections and happiness in your own life, but it also having this belief in a higher benevolent, loving power, this bigger source that wants you to do well, it gives us more of a sense of a control because we're not doing life on our own and we can tap into that supernatural power. And so simple things, you know, he said regular acts, and I think that's the key is regular acts, prayer, meditation, yoga, walking in nature, viewing art, doing art, you know, helping others. All of that helps what Sean Aker calls the four horsemen of the modern world, burnout, anxiety, loneliness, depression. Those things make you want to quiet quit. And so if you feel like no, because I mean, trust me, along this journey, I've been like, is this even worth it at some points? But it's always that prompt to keep going, keep going. Doors will open. Resources will come. You know, the right people will pop up. And so I've just kept following that quiet, you know, little breadcrumb trail. And here we are, you know. And so I think that's such an important thing is to tap into that higher power. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's so critically important, but let's talk about it in the context of your book, because there have to be times where you felt all of the above. Now, we've mentioned the book. What can people expect about the book? When is it coming?
Speaker 1: I'm so excited. We finally have a confirmed publication date. Tuesday, September 22 is the first day of autumn. And it just felt really like a great date for me. And so Tuesday, September 22, the book is called Shine Happy Shine, a mystical memoir of art, destiny, and a tenacious mother-daughter bond. And to celebrate the publication, I am having an art raffle. So if you go to my website, shinehappyshine.com, sign up for my email list to be entered in the art raffle. There's also an art raffle tab on the website. It will give you all the details of how it works. But there are 32 of my paintings, the painting behind me is the cover art and at the beginning of each chapter and some of my body prints from my one woman show and some other you know, portraits that I've done throughout the years. And so you can, there's a link where you can preview all of the paintings that are available. And so after I'll probably wait a week or two to make sure that, you know, people can really sign up. I'll select a random winner and contact you and you can select which painting you want. And I will have created an eight inch by 10 inch full color fine art archival print and send it to you. So please sign up by I want to celebrate.
Speaker 2: I love it. I want to thank you for doing that. I want to just kind of bring this full circle with another story you have. And it's about the audio book, because how many times have I, I grew up with mama Doris who never believed in quitting. So that's another show, but we get to the point where this idea of quiet quitting is a little bit more insidious. Yeah. Yeah. You know what I'm saying? It's not like you wake up one day and say, I'm going to quit smoking. It really isn't like that. It's a series of facts or attitudes or beliefs that could happen over a period of time where when you get sort of to the tail end of that snake, what happens is you've already quietly quit and you don't even realize it. So tell us about the audiobook, Discovery.
Speaker 1: Well, I was talking to my publisher because we've been meeting just about every week. And, you know, the book is going to be in print and also an e-book. And she said, well, maybe you could do an audio book. And so she went out and researched here in New Mexico where I could find an audio book producer. And so since my book is a little bit over 80,000 words and they do by hour, And she was telling me the cost of it. And I was like, Oh, you know, I'm not really sure about that. And you know, I asked her to rank print versus ebook versus audio and audio kind of came later. And so I was thinking, well, maybe that's not for me. The very next day, I get an email from the New Mexico Book Association. And they're having a workshop in October, a lady from here in Santa Fe, who is a narrator and a producer of audio books. And I was like, And that's how I find my higher power. It's like these little pokes. Look again, look again, look again. And so I'm going to do the workshop and then maybe invite this lady to coffee in person and see where that goes. And so that's what I love about, you know, this, this source with a capital S.
Speaker 2: The universe, God.
Speaker 1: You know, is saying, look, again, I want you to do this. Here's maybe a different opportunity. And maybe if we're in the same group, you know, this New Mexico Book Association, maybe there's a discount. I don't know. But, you know, I'm very willing to go look into that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But you see, you know, I love to call them following the breadcrumbs, right? And the thing that I've learned about following the breadcrumbs, especially since yesterday, I had to go get something out of my eye. is you have to be aware enough to look for the breadcrumbs. So you hadn't shut down, you could not shut down to the point where you weren't going to see that. And isn't that part of the message? It's not only about your beliefs, it's don't shut down your soul energy.
Speaker 1: Well, I had so many opportunities to shut down and quiet quit. Like I said, my husband wasn't happy at the time. My mom, after I quit my job, oh my God, we fought and fought and fought. And that's what the book is about. But now I've got this wonderful story about our relationship that was reconciled, you know, after she died, but you know, she's my biggest cheerleader now. And so, you know, coworkers saying, are you crazy? Are you having a midlife crisis? And so there's so many different times I could have said, oh, you're right. Okay. But I didn't. And to me, part of that strength is that higher power that keeps pulling me along the trail. So don't quiet quit. So as I was writing this, I was like, let's loud shine, not quiet quit. Because it's absolutely doable. You know, it may not happen overnight, but you can get there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Again, website. How did they sign up? How did they get to be part of the raffle or whatever you're going to do to give them the art? Just give them that information one more time. And thank you so much for pointing the direction of courage. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Shine happy shine dot com. Sign up for my email list. You'll automatically be entered for the art raffle. Go to the art raffle tab. You'll see all the details.
Speaker 2: I love it. Vicki, thank you so much for everything. And for those of you out there, remember a little bit about what we said today. It is very, very subtle, this quiet quitting. But in the end, it's the quitting that you want to make sure you don't do. Keep the flame lit. We'll see you next time. Thanks, everybody.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Shine, Delusion, Shine, the radical art of dreaming beyond boundaries. I am Vicki Todd with Dr.
Speaker 2: Pat.
Speaker 1: Tune in with us each fourth Thursday at 11 a.m. Pacific on Transformation Talk Radio for more simple, repeatable habits to identify the dreams, gifts and talents you were born with. Expand your mind and believe your dreams can become a reality. we invite you to tap into the flow of the delusional realm with us to make this world brighter. For more information on living a more fulfilling, destiny-driven life and to connect with me, visit vickiworldart.com.