Speaker 1: Welcome to the Trauma Therapists podcast. My name is Gamiferson. I interview incredible people who've dedicated their lives to helping those who've been impacted by trauma. A big thank you to our sponsors and our guests who are supporting this show. Five name two All rif folks, Welcome back to the podcast. Very excited to have us. My guest today, Doctor Eric Walterstorff, Eric, welcome, Thank you very much, good to be here. Guy all right. Doctor Walterstorff is a psychotherapist and developer of the Trauma Integration Protocol, with more than three decades of experience studying trauma, recovery, memory systems, and group responsor threat He began training with Peter Levine in nineteen ninety three and it's also studied with Pat Ogden, Max Schupack, and Arnold Mindell. Later earning a doctorate focused on group traumatology. Eric created the Foundations and Transference Tip trainings and specializes in cultural psychosocial development, group trauma, and the collaborative capacity of societies responding to long term threats. He's a founder and leader of seventeen first working internationally across Europe, Asia, in the Middle East and Africa. Eric, welcome, before we get going show with the listeners, where you're from originally and where you are currently? Oh?
Speaker 2: Well, I grew up in El Paso, Texas. Yeah, and I'm and now I'm living in Boulder, Colorado.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, so let's start. How does all this start for you? Take us back?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I was at a midlife crisis or early or whatever. I had one of those crises.
Speaker 1: In my thirties crisis, that's right.
Speaker 2: And I'm doing a lot of personal growth. I'm studying ralfing and my my rolfing teacher for that particular training was Peter Melchior the Guild for Structural Integration. And Peter says, I think that you should meet with Peter Levine, And I was like, yes, sir, so I went off. I had I knew nothing, no background in psychology, no background in psychotherapy, no thought of it, no ambition for it.
Speaker 1: What were you doing for work at this time?
Speaker 2: I had been I had a liberal arts degree and I was teaching music, composing music, writing music. And then I said I need a change in my life. And I was getting rolfed at the time, and Wayne, my rolfer at the time, said and I said, what should I do? I said, in my ralfer lying on the table, and he said, let me see your hand, and he picks up my hand and he said, I think you'd be a good ralfer. And I was just so lost at this turning point in my life, I said, well, that sounds good. So then I started to train to be accepted into the ralfing school. And so I'm living on savings at this point, and so I'm training as a rolfer. And that's when my teacher, Peter Melechure suggests that I see Peter Leving.
Speaker 1: Wow, so you go see Peter Levine. What happens?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's so much fun. So I my first session. I love telling the story. My first session with Peter's I just get access to things that I wasn't aware of in my psyche and it's amazing to me. And I'm like, wow, our doors opened into a new world. And so at the end of the session, I say, wait.
Speaker 1: Wait, ever, you're going to do this detail? I need decent what what happens? What is what is he doing?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it was very you know Peter's you know specialty. He works with many more things. But his specialty is, you know, single event shock traumas and and and specifically how to access uh dissociative traumatic states that tend not to present, right, So his his beauty's and finding what's not there and then creating the conditions so these little tiny nibbles grow up into and kind of emerge from the psyche. So he was doing that with me, and I ended up having so many sessions with him, I can't pull it apart. In this session, but he had me do something as simple as, ah, do you feel that movement in your neck? Yes, well, before it happens, why don't you just sort of pay attention to what happens before it moves and see if you could just not move it? And then I and then who And then I've flooded with anxiety. A branch cracked outside and I thought it was a gunshot. It was in such an altered state, and so anyways, it was it was you know, it was. It was a It was a nice, juicy somatic experiencing session from the master of the masters of that.
Speaker 1: Right, So you worked for him.
Speaker 2: For well, you're right, I was hooked. So so he became my therapist and my teacher and my supervisor for the next three years.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And that sort of led me also into the studying Hakomi body work with Pat Ogden Wright me, which is sensorimotor psychotherapy now. And then I got more interested in group dynamics and transference and that took me to Arnie Mendeleen mock Schutbox World Work. Arnie was the developer of process Work. We lost Arnie last year and then that I got more and more excited about these group dynamics but in cultures, and that led me to going to my getting my PhD. And one of the people I committee was Jim Griggsby at Works of Memory Systems and I'm working with group transference and how things are transferred across generations mass traumas. But the key with that that affected psychotherapy was just transference, transference, transference and how when we're we can be triggered in fifty different ways and according to the trigger, our mind just pulls up a set of screens from the past and that's how we began to interpret the present.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to get there, but just taking a step back when when you were working with uh Peter in those different kind of capacities. At what point did you say and how did this come about that you said, this is what I want to do, this is what I want to study.
Speaker 2: Well, to go back to my little little story there the first time, at the end of the session, I'm sitting there with Peter. He offers me a glass of water and he says, do you have any questions? And I said, this is this is this is amazing. How does this work? And he opens his mouth to answer, and I said, don't stop. I'm afraid it's magic. And if you tell me, it won't happened again. And he laughed and he said it's repeatable, it's not a problem. And so I just wanted to learn more. And so then I became one of sixteen people in the last thirty years to read his dissertation. And I guess the last fifty years now it's a bit of a slog And yeah, I went to classes with him, did trade scot sessions from him from people he had trained, became you know, a real protege.
Speaker 1: What talk to us a little about I mean, I'm assuming there was some rough patches with your personal exploration. It's things unfolded for.
Speaker 2: You yeah, I mean I came in with h with it. I came into the field with a lot of interest and excitement, and yeah, sure when I when I, when I impact my history more and more, I had it's kind of boring, but I a lot of high speed accidents, had a tonsilectomy when I was early when I when I was six, and my mind had kind of created a trauma structure around that. I was a bit in the oldest child, a bit in the caretaker role, so I would take that anxiety plus kind of compulsions to help, and that created kind of a particular mix for me. And when I began to realize it's it's funny because this is this is the main kind of theme of this UH transference counterference counter transference training, that this this our next one starts in October. My daughter was just a year old at the time, and I'm beginning to realize all of these kind of compulsions inside myself and then and what I thought was, I want to see if I can open faster than I shut my daughter down. And I was such a caretaker that I couldn't say, oh, I need this right. I was like, m but I'll do this work for my daughter, and I was two or three years into the work before enough of those compensations kind of opened up and I was like, wow, I can really use some help for me. But the whole time, I knew that my compulsions were affecting all of my relationships and that really troubled me. So that's probably my entrance into the idea of countertransference, that yes, my clients are going to come in with their transferences, but whatever I bring, I'm affecting every single session with with every client, and I have more power in the relationship. So arguably the best way I could help my clients is by working on what drives my countertrends diference.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I was going to ask what was the impetus for this interest in transference and remind our audience what transference is, what is counter transference?
Speaker 2: So so transference, projection, projective identification, there's a whole class of terms that are that are related to this single phenomenon, which is that you know, we we don't actually see the person in front of us, we don't see the situation in front of us. There's there's too much data our brain couldn't process it. What we do is we take some cues and we bring up an approximation from our past, and then we say, this is my best guess, and so we take a guess. I say something, or I stand in a way, or I do something based on my best guess, and then I see how you or the environment responds, and then I adjust my thinking and adjusting just and gradually we move toward rapport and we get to know each other as individuals over time. But it begins with with you know, I see you initially, and I see your glasses, and I think, oh, who are the people in my life? And then and then I guess kind of at their personality, at their at their vibe, and I'm like, okay, I'm going to interact with guys if he has that personality and vibe.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know enough about you to know that, but I run with that as a first guess. So that's my projection. And we're doing it in little ways like this all the time, and it's just how we That's how we first meet people as we get to know them, it's it's normal. But when we've had a lot of trauma or we've had sort of a mismatched childhood that doesn't match where we are. Maybe we're from a different culture, maybe we've had a lot of trauma, or maybe the life circumstances have changed and we've moved from one place to another. There could be any number of reasons, but our projections don't match. And of course in the case of long term relational traumas where we get the greatest distortions around that. And then I start to look at you and then are you a person who's safe or a person who's dangerous? Or can I even tell the difference? And then relating becomes very complicated. Trust becomes complicated, boundaries become difficult, and relationship becomes much more of a struggle rather than something that we can relax into and take pleasure into and explore the world.
Speaker 1: So your interest, is it fair to say, is the interaction between the transference and counter transference and what happens because of that? Now, what you described is a what a template paradigm? Is it safe to say that different people from different experiences, maybe with uh different levels of vulnerability and authenticity, experiences differently or operate differently. Oh? In other words, yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, oh yes, very much. Very much. So I'm thinking of your in your introduction when you say who we are is more important than what we know? Well, I think we need both. I think we need good tools in the field is growing and we're gaining tools. But I couldn't agree more that it's a prime importance when working with relationship and transference and counter transference. Who we are. And that's kind of what I mean by the term permission space. What what do we allow in an interaction? What subjects are off limits? Which ones will I just kind of ignore, steer you away from? Which ones do I want to draw you into? Which ones do I add in intensity or some emotional tone too? So I'm completely shaping you all the time, and you're shaping me the whole time. And to go back to your thing. When the client doesn't we call it transference from the therapist, doesn't, we call it counter transference.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing.
Speaker 1: So you were talk to us about this. This What is the course of training. What's it called?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's called tip transference training. We start with five days in person and then there's five months where we have two hour meetings every couple of weeks. By zoom to support people and doing trades and getting you know, case menality, consultation and practice with each other over the next half year. And really in the training, there's three things we do in the training. We've got some really I think they're really fun exercises that can reveal to us our counter transference. And so we do these exercises where we're working with somebody, But then we say, what if this thing comes up, and then we notice how the therapist is triggered and we could be they could be triggered by relational dynamics, by a particular theme or subject, by a person's kind of attachment style, whatever it is, and we notice, how do we react to that. Do we have space where we're calm and we can flow with that, Or if you start acting one way, do I automatically start acting another way? That's coming from my unconscious and I don't even know it, and we're always doing that. It's not like we're going to get rid of it. But if we learn the boundaries of our permission space, then we sort of know what the what the boundaries of competence are for our unconscious.
Speaker 1: We yeah, say say that again, yeah soon space again okay.
Speaker 2: So permission space is when we're interacting what subjects, what things can be explored, What emotions, what movements, what what can happen in our relationship as we're working together.
Speaker 1: So talking from the therapist's perspective.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, So so okay, let's let's let's pretend I'm the therapist and you're the client, and you've got six things you would like to kind of work on, and they're connected to other things. You've got senses of other things, and you start to bring those subjects up, and you'll name five or ten things when we're sort of doing an exploratory kind of first conversations, and I'll respond to some of those, and I just kind of won't respond to other ones, and I'll be drawn to other ones. And that is kind of uh and to the extent that I have unconscious preferences around that, it is just setting the bounds of what we can do. May I give you a very dramatic example of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, please love it? Yeah, love it.
Speaker 2: A wonderful thing happened started to happen in the nineteen eighties in the United States. We had this explosion of people talking about domestic violence and child abuse, right, It wasn't we don't talk about that, which is kind of what it was up until the seventies, or we're going to work with it is you know, metaphor or dreams or you know, it's like no, no, we've got this problem. And so there was an embrace of look at all of these victims who haven't been seen. It's great, look at all these survivors who haven't been seen, and how do we empower those people and how can we help them as therapists? And so there we which is great, and it was a it's been a wonderful thing for the last thirty forty years where we've i would say, sort of increased the permission space right as a as a field where all of a sudden, actual domestic violence, actual child abuse is write more broadly in the society that things like this are yes, we can we there is space for us to work with us now in the field.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But in doing that, we threw away the lessons that we had learned in forty years of family therapy, which is that in systems you've got bystanders and perpetrators as well as victims and saviors. And so we're saying, we're going to work with two of the four and we're going to lock those other two roles out of the door. We're going to make this a safe space. This is my therapy space. Is for it to help for caretakers and to help you to be strong and for victims, to help the victims to heal and become strong and fluid. But but we're going to block out the bad. But of course when we have traumatic memories, we don't simply remember or the victim or the victim and the perpetrator, I mean the victim of the savior role. We're using empathy at the time of the trauma to try to imagine what is the perpetrator thinking or feeling right now, Because if I knew that I could predict their behavior, I could figure out maybe what to do. Why are these other people or this other person not helping, So what's happening? So we've got we've got you know, Johnny who's ten years old and he's in the kitchen. It's a repeated scene, and his father's drunk and his father's beating him. So what is he doing? It's not just that he's being a victim, and that's the memory. He is trying to imagine what his father is thinking. Is what is his father thinking? Why is his father doing this? Because if he knew this, maybe he could interrupt his father's behavior. He could just say or do the right thing. He knows mom is in the house. Why isn't mom coming in the room and stopping this? And he's trying to imagine. So he's using this theory of mind, this empathetic capacity, and it can be completely wrong. It could be that, you know, his mom has her headphones in, which she always does, and she doesn't hear, or it could be her mom's His mama is standing outside the door, just gnashing her teeth and wanting to go in, but doesn't dare because she's afraid. Who knows what it is. He's going to imagine something. He's going to imagine something, So his imagined inner states of the perpetrator and of the bystander exists as part of his memory. So we remember the scene of the crime. We don't remember our role. We remember the scene. So if we're doing therapy and the savior is allowed and the victims allowed, and we're going to work with that all the time, we've opened up this place in the psyche. We're doing all this healing, but we've got two roles of the bystander perpetrator, and they're not allowed in therapy. How and so our unconscious goes out and looks for it. Now, So think about how many, how many times in our life it's it's it's it's all through our field. Somebody has a better and better relationship with their therapist and they become ever more dissatisfied with their spouse. Well, it's because because in the permission space of therapy, there's no room for the bystander. There's no the person who does nothing. There's no room for the perpetrator, the person who's who's making the assault. And so the person's unconscious goes out and they try to recruit people like they've got people on a play. Who I need, somebody to play this I need, and who's number one on the list. Your spouse could be your kids, your parents, could be a sibling, and could be a frank, could be somebody at work. You know, spouse or romantic partner usually usually gets the gets the role though, and now this person's having a split experience. Therapy comes better and better, and their whole life gets worse and worse. Yeah, this should be horrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's.
Speaker 2: Pat Ogden said a wonderful thing to me when I was training with her, and she said, you don't judge the effectiveness of therapy by what happens in the session. You judge it by how the person's life changes outside of the session. Yeah, that's right. So and if we're so, what does that mean for our permission space? If our permission space means I'm good with saviors and victims, but not but but but not the bad stuff, that's that's that's not necessarily bad unless we pretend it's a full permission space. If we just say, you know, in my therapy, I work with victims. I help them get strong so they can become caretakers themselves and send them out into the world. It's really important to work with the bystanders and the perpetrators. But I don't do that. Well, that's great, nothing the matter with that. But to pretend that the permission space is full includes the whole event when it doesn't is really putting the unconscious of the client. There's ever more and more pressure on them to heal the whole piece. But they've got to find the bystanders and perpetrators outside. The other thing to do, of course, is to get comfortable holding the bystander role in the perpetrator role as a therapist, and to learn how to work with negative transference. Can we hold a container that is connected and coregulating and safe, in which the eye as the therapist can be the perpetrator. I can be the bystander, and I can accept those projections on me while staying in relationship and giving them a space for the client to begin to integrate those parts of their own psyche, which if they don't have a lot of support and a lot of permission, is they're not going to want to do it. I mean, like, why it's bad enough this happened to me, and now I have to integrate this role, to perpetrate it. The stuck inside my psyche, I feel like I'm being violated again. Well, but it's there, so to actually be free of it is to integrate it.
Speaker 1: So we've got this permission space, and isn't it Is it fair to say that the capacity, the fluidity, the strength of the permission space is determined by the therapists level of awareness, development, authenticity, vulnerability, willingness to the degree to which they've done the inner work. Yes, so how was to what degree? So you're working in this course, this program, how does that? How do you address that?
Speaker 2: Great? So there are very particular, very particular exercises. One is, we want to make sure that people have strong mindfulness skills. Not mindfulness while they're sitting by themselves in a post or zen retreat, but when they're an active relationship with somebody and being triggered. Are they tracking what's happening right now to my body, my emotions, what thoughts are arising? How do I feel? Can we run all that? It's like a lava lamp that's bubbling up inside of us. Can I stay in relationship with you while tracking what's bubbling up in my lava lamp?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So mindfulness that particular application of mindfulness. Then there's coregulation, which is much more than resourcing. It's can we allow our nervous systems to connect? Can we go into a dance and it's my dance fluid? If I'm a therapist and I always have to be the calming presence, what if the therapist, what if the client needs to have the experience of they're excited and in sympathetic activation, and what they kind of need to learn from their childhood is how to drag me out of a calm state or how to drag me to use to use the polyvagl language. Maybe there was a parents who were just just kind of really just sort of endoorsal vaguel and traumatized or collapsed, and the child grew up just trying to be excited and their parents were just ugh, kind of flat. Then can the therapists allow themselves to go into a dorsal bagel place within this larger container while coaching and encouraging the client and dragging the therapist up into a up into a sympathetic activation for example. So this coregulation. The next one is to take these very basic family roles from family therapy around the caretaker, identified patient and distancer and outcast and set up exercises where some stresses the person stressed. How do you respond to stress? I was raised as a caretaker. When there's stress, I moved toward the stress like a moth to the flame. My robot wants to go straight to the stress to help. Identified patients will say their stress, Yeah, I have stress too, let's do a stress dance, right. The distancer's like, I think we need some ice. I'm running to the grocery store, right, And the perpetrate is like, you people are pissing me off. You want to be stressed, I'll give you stressed. The outcast will, right. So what is our response to this and when we And this tends to not be dramatic, but it's pervasive and a low level. If I always need to be the caretaker in working with my clients, then I always need to be one up, and that's creating a dynamic with the client where they can't take care of me or they can't be free of my caretaking.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So it's subtle but very powerful. A much more obvious one is if I haven't worked through my relational my relational traumas, then I could just be triggered by things.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: My psyche is filled with hot spots and cold spots. It's like, you know, boy, we don't deal with surgeries. Oh yeah, we focus on assaults, and so does that match what the client wants or needs? So we're shaping what's happening. So there's exercises around this. There's exercises around becoming more fluid with the family roles. There's how and it doesn't matter if you come in and you do. You know, whatever form of exposure therapy you want, there's lots of good ones. And whatever kind of work you're doing, it's going to add something to be able to work with the transference dimension of it, because that shows up regardless of the kind of work that we do. I'm gonna pause because I kind of kind of got lost in my own thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, Eric, this sounds really fascinating to me, and not only fascinating and amazing, but so necessary in the work of the therapist. When you started just taking and doing an aside here, sidebar, when this became interesting to you were fascinating to you. What started to come up for you? Did you find yourself needing to do more X Y or Z. I'm curious about that.
Speaker 2: Sure, I guess. I guess maybe the two main themes that came up besides working well three things. The first thing is when I began to understand this more, I had to go back to my whole trauma history where I had been the victim. And then I went through the entire trauma history again and looked for ones in which I played the role of the savior. Then I went through and did a whole nother trauma history of when I was the bystander and I didn't do anything. Those were really unpleasant, And then I went through and I had to begin this with a colleague who was very good with this, with Raven Welves, who works out in a why It's very good work, and we agreed that we would work with ways that we had been perpetrators, because there felt like there was so little permission space in the field. Who can I even talk about this with before I'm going to be seen as like a bad person. And so Raven and I created a permission space between the two of us where we could share when we were the perpetrator and find a way to connect with another human being and then begin to integrate those So one process is I had to go through the other post traumatic roles. So that was that was very big for me. That was the first thing. The second thing was again this compulsive low level whenever stressed going into the caretaker role, I wouldn't want to feel my own anxiety with somebody else, so I would disconnect from it, and I had to learn how to feel my own anxiety and how can I use that in the service of the client as well as in my life. Of course, I had to learn how to distance when anxiety or distress was coming up. I had to learn how to move away from that without kind of being overwhelmed with both guilt and a feeling of loss of control. I had to make friends with the part of myself that would want to attack, would want to hurt a client or another person. And I had you know, Okay, there is this part in me, and I need to get comfortable with this so I could be fluid with those That was a big part of the work. The other part of the work that began with the work with Ernie Madel in the in the late nineties and with mox the World work was working with social issues, and so you know, we would do all of these group processes and here I am, you know, tall, white, heterosexual male, educated and confident, and it was just like it was like I was a lightning rod in these processes and you so had I had to I had to learn both. I had to learn to to kind of say, you know, we're all born the way that we're born. What do we do with how we're born, and I know I'm in a movement in society that began very strongly in the eighties and led into the nineties it hasn't stopped now, in which you know, white males are a cancer on the human race. And I was in such a place with that after I sort of entered into that that feminist literature in the late eighties and by the time and I was just kind of, well, I don't know what I can do with myself. I guess I'll just kind of try to face myself and be of service. And then I started doing this work with with with Mocks and Arnie around earned and unearned privileges. And we tend to be very very sophisticated and sensitive around our earned privileges. If we didn't have money and we built a company and we made money, we tend to be really kind of sophisticated around money and what it means not to have it, what it means to have it. But if we were just raised with money, there's a giant blank spot of wait. Wait, there's a there's a basic anxiety or a drive or a drive to work there that that has to be dealt with people by who are on the labor side of the equation, who were you know, middle class or lower middle class or poor? And so the unearned privilege. So I'm stepping in these places and I'm saying, well, what have I earned? Because I'm I'm I'm It's very easy to project on me for the things that were unearned. So the challenge is to come to terms with and appreciate and own and love the parts of us that are unearned privilege and then put them to use for other people. So this was years of work, and again primarily through the process work and the world work to say, you know, like pipe I am who I am? And what am I going to do with this? What is the vector of my life? Not the starting point? So that came out of the transference counter transference. It fed into that because I could have such naivete as a therapist with my counter transference, because I would presume that everybody across from me had the same privileges as myself, and boy was that a problem.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So that's a different way that the counter transference would show up.
Speaker 1: As we kind of wind down here, Eric, who would you say this course is for, this program is.
Speaker 2: For, Well, it's at the intersection of trauma, somatic work, and transference coming coming out of the psycho psychoanalytic, psychodynamic tradition. So it's really for people who are as practitioners who do one or two of those things and they're curious about the third. Maybe maybe they're a sematic therapist who does a lot of work with trauma and they're really curious about about transference. But maybe they're coming out of the psychoanalytic up field and they want somebody who has a bridge to that and who understands that, and they want to they want to learn more about working with the body and trauma. So it's really where those three interact. And it doesn't matter if you've worked with trauma again which of the many different competing modalities there are right now, because we're in a time of variation and experimentation. So but but but there's a real gap around the transference work if you're not in the the the psycho the psychodynamic, psychoanalytic condissions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would agree. I mean when you started talking and shared what you wanted to share on this podcast, I it was very intriguing to me and and exciting to me because not only do I think this uh topic isn't talked about that much, just as you said, but it is. So it's it just feels to me to be the work and the excitement of the therapy process. I love it. Yeah, so I'm really excited about It's just sincerely, I'm really excited about this topic and looking forward to getting this out there. So how do people learn more about you and this program?
Speaker 2: Go to Trauma Integration Protocol. It's a lot of letters. That's what we call it TIP Trauma Integration Protocol dot com. And we're building a community and we offer trainings in both a way to work with single event traumas and I've got a book there that has that has protocols, but then the TIP transference training and there's a description of that training. And we've also of course got a got a got a YouTube channel and if you have any questions or anything, we've got email addresses on there. Just reach out to be happy to have a conversation with anybody, a series of conversations.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll have all that linked up here at the show notes page at the Trauma Therapist Podcast dot com. Eric, Awesome, I love it. I really love to have you back. But I really appreciate and love what you're doing. Thank you to being here.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Guy, all right, thank you