Speaker 1: It is time for as we do every Tuesday at this time, we do the Tech segment with Rich Demurow Rich seen on KTLA every day, Rich on Tech every Saturday here on KFI at eleven am to two pm, Instagram at rich on Tech website, rich on Tech dot TV.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Rich, Good morning to you.
Speaker 1: Bill. Okay, last week we talked about the event that you went to, the Google event.
Speaker 2: If I'm not.
Speaker 1: Mistaken, yes, and so happened. Okay, So what came out of that? Because I know you anticipate and then what actually happens and then you report on what came out and you go, ooh, let me tell you, Let me tell you, folks, this happens.
Speaker 3: So do we have any great news there?
Speaker 4: Well, I think for the takeaways obviously that Google was forced into AI by chatubt, even though they had been.
Speaker 2: Working on it for a long time.
Speaker 4: They forced their hand into kind of releasing all these new products and services and whatever that to take advantage of AI. And now Google is saying, look, okay, the last couple of years we've been dipping our toes. Now we are really showing off the fact that we know what we're doing with AI. We already have all the base knowledge of the Internet because we've been doing that really well for twenty five years, and now we're going to supercharge everything that we've done and make it AI to the limit, and so things to go.
Speaker 3: Ahead, Yeah, please go ahead.
Speaker 4: No, no, yeah, I'm I mean, look, Gemini is their version of AI. They're putting that into every single product. And then I think for consumers the main thing to know is twofold number one. This new AI mode is in Google. We've talked about it before on the show because a couple of months ago I said how cool it was.
Speaker 2: It was an experiment.
Speaker 4: I guess it's been so good that now they're like almost replacing their search with it. So when you're searching, if you see that little tab or button that says AI mode, tap it. It is incredible. You can ask really complex questions that nobody's ever asked the Internet before and still get answers. So it goes way beyond keywords. And then on the iPhone there's a really cool feature now called Gemini Live. You can share the video from your phone's camera, so you can basically have AI take a look at something. And so, for instance, I was trying to figure out my sprinkler system. I just pointed my camera at the sprinkler system in my yard and like ask questions about it. Hey, what does this button do? How do I adjust this? What do I need to know here? And it's like having the smartest person answer your questions.
Speaker 3: Who knows your sprinkler system?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and everything else in the world. I mean I read into the radio show and he said, Rich, nobody could tell me what these two little connectors were for on my new car. I pointed AI at it and asked, and instantly it explained what those were. Four he said, this is this is amazing.
Speaker 3: So you have.
Speaker 1: Different companies doing different versions of AI, and give me an idea.
Speaker 3: You chat GPT is one of the first people out.
Speaker 1: I mean, they basically invented or created the concept. What do these other companies do that it doesn't do? And can they be proprietary about what they've developed?
Speaker 4: Well, it's interesting because someone like, Okay, so there's a I mean, obviously there's a bunch of companies all doing this.
Speaker 2: You've got the main ones like.
Speaker 4: Chat GBT, Open AI. You've got Microsoft, which is using chat GBT technology underlying. You've got Google, which has Gemini, You've got Grock, which is part of you know, Elon Musk's Empire of Things, and that's doing it as well.
Speaker 2: You've got deep Seek out of.
Speaker 4: China, You've got Mistral out of France, and then you've got Meta, you know which owns Facebook. They're doing it as well, and they've built it into all of their products. So the proprietary nature is interesting because some companies are taking more of an open source aspect to this. A lot of these companies are sort of secretive about the you know what powers the AI, but someone like Meta is opening up their AI whereas anyone can use it to program what they want to do. So they're all taking a slightly different approach. But at the end of the day, Bill, I think the big trend is, you know, companies want to use this to power things and to power systems that they're building, and so of course they can do that and pay these companies on the back end. But I think for consumers, the real sticky factor at this point is that these AI bots are getting to know the people that are using them. And so, for instance, I was reading an article and basically the thesis is that the more these AI bots get to know the customer, the more customized they become, and the less you're going to want to switch to a different AI chatbop.
Speaker 2: And that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 3: What I've been hearing.
Speaker 1: And my daughter is the one I go to on this one because she's my tech nerd and is getting her master's degree in cybersecurity or whatever the hell she's studying. And that is AI is wiping out entire sectors of industry. I mean just across the board, any research done, any analysis going to be done. In the legal field, for example, a first year associate comes in and they are put on research done. There is no time. And I was reading some articles saying that there really are no entry level jobs anymore because they're all going to be done, which means as the medium level management and the upper level management retire, there'll be no one there that has the experience that can run companies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was we talked about on KTLA today is this article and op ed in the New York Times which you may have seen by one of the executives at linked In saying, look, AI is definitely disrupting the entry level job sector. Like you said, paralegals anyone that's getting their first job. And obviously we've got a lot of college grads getting into the job market right now, and they're not all too excited about it because the jobs that they used to use to either learn the ropes or you know, just get their foot in the door are no longer available or they've changed because you just don't need someone to do those. Like you said, AI is really good at simple tasks like analyzing large amounts of data and very simple things that used to take a person time and energy to do, and AI can now do it in seconds. So I guess the thesis of the LinkedIn article was basically that jobs still have to hire these people, but help them work with AI, because otherwise, if we don't get these young people sort of into the folds, there's going to be a deficit in the future of people that can have these higher level jobs that understand the whole company.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: My daughter with her bachelor's degree can't get an entry level job in the field, which is.
Speaker 3: Why she's doing your master's degree.
Speaker 1: And I'm very proud of the fact that she's going to have a master's degree and will not be able.
Speaker 3: To get a job.
Speaker 4: You know, I think she's taken the approach of like, let's see what happens, because right now everything has been thrown up in the air.
Speaker 2: You know, companies are still trying to figure this out.
Speaker 4: And look, Bill, if you're a company, what are you trying to do? You're trying to save money. And so if someone from your department in it is saying, hey, look, AI can do this and it can replace these people and it's more efficient and it's this price, of course you're going to do that.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: We don't know what the long term sort of effect of all of this is, whether companies come back and say, Okay, this works, this doesn't work, we need people for this still. So I think it's all still up in the air. But yes, it is definitely changing for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's crazy. Oh do I take an opportunity now to hustle a job for my daughter?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Neil, I don't think I've ever done that.
Speaker 2: How I.
Speaker 3: Is that even allowed? Is that even allowed?
Speaker 1: If anybody, if anybody needs an entry level person, just write me and you probably won't hire my daughter either like everybody else won't. Or any new trainee or intern who has good computer skills she's going out of her mind. And you know, based on that LinkedIn article which I read, or that executive, she is not alone.
Speaker 3: She is not alone. It's really tough.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about the Samsung Galaxy S twenty five Edge.
Speaker 3: I'm assuming that's a new phone.
Speaker 1: And you know, when you talk about the newer, better sort of the blastow five thousand of the iPhones which I have, I'm getting the idea that Samsung is moving ahead of the curve, that they're more advanced and are working more in terms of newer technology.
Speaker 3: Do I have that right?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I would say that they probably try more things for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, good answer. Okay with that, Oh we're gonna have a good time with this.
Speaker 3: Uh what's your go to? Do you do? Android or iPhone or both?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: I mean, I look, I carry three phones because I've got to answer questions on the radio show about all of them. And uh, you know, you've got You've got iPhone is obviously very popular, You've got Samsung probably the second most popular, and then Google's Pixel is a very popular phone as well. So uh, and that's and that one i'd say is probably gaining the most new fans because it's really clean, it works really well. The camera, obviously everyone knows, is really good. But you know, when it comes to the it's interesting when you ask that question about Apple versus Samsung. So Samsung definitely tries more things like This new phone is coming out on Friday. It's the Galaxy S twenty five Edge. It's super slim. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now. It is undeniably fun and different because it's a really thin and lightweight phone, but it's very high powered, like it has all the features you need. The two downsides that I have noticed are the zoom because they can't have as good of a zoom lens as maybe if you've got the iPhone Pro or all the other ones that have a dedicated zoom lens. This does not have that, so the zoom is a little bit iffy. And also the battery life. It definitely runs down a little bit faster than some of the other phones out there. But at the same time, it's super thin and lightweight, and so people are going to see that as kind of refreshing, and we know that Apple is expected to do something very similar with a thin and light iPhone later this year, maybe nickname the Air or something like that, the Ultra, who knows. But my point is with Apple, they have a much different approach because they control everything from what's inside the phone to the software, and that leads them to be able to do very different things when it comes to power efficiency, when it comes.
Speaker 2: To features, the camera, Siri.
Speaker 4: The way things work on the iPhone is just much more integrated than the way they work on Android phones because Android has a mix of all different parts and all different software and all different manufacturers, and so it's just a different approach to a very similar problem.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, we're probably gonna have that conversation. You know, obviously.
Speaker 1: You know I'm an iPhone guy, and I won't even try anybody any other phone.
Speaker 3: Because I just don't want to learn it. I just don't have the ability.
Speaker 1: I just learn how to turn my phone on, which I'm assuming a lot of people have a problem with the technology.
Speaker 3: All right, Gadget alert real quickly. Only have a couple of minutes. And I always love gadgets.
Speaker 4: Oh this is great. This is a super simple, fun new gadget. It's not I guess you can't even call a gadget, but it is a power cable from a company called twelve South, and what they have done is they have made a cable that on one side is a plug and on the other side is USBC plug. So basically it's a power chord, that's what they call it. And it the best part about this thing is that you're not looking. You know, when you get a power cable at your house, you need to get the plug that goes into the wall, and then you have to get the power cord itself right the USB cable and you plug those in and it's always too short.
Speaker 2: Number two.
Speaker 4: So if you have kids like I do that always want their iPad plugged in they're moving around the house or sitting on the couch or sitting on the bed, they're sitting on the floor, this thing comes in a ten foot length, so you can sit there on the couch and actually have your phone plugged in and use it without pulling this thing out.
Speaker 2: Of the wall. So it's just a super simple.
Speaker 4: Gadget that you know, it's not new to have a power cable like this, but it is kind of refreshing that it works with all your different.
Speaker 2: Devices and it just is simple.
Speaker 4: So forty dollars or fifty dollars if you want that ten foot length. But I love this thing. I've been playing with it for a week. Just came out, and it does make life a lot easier, especially for travel. You just plug, you know, one thing to bring that's it.
Speaker 3: Can't you buy like a twenty foot cable out there some place?
Speaker 4: Yes you can, but you know, most of the time it's just a cable, so it might not have the plug part of it. And then you wonder. You know a lot of people are also using plugs that are not powerful enough for their phone, Like they're not taking full advantage because they're using an older plug, you know, like that power adapter that goes into the wall might be from a previous device that doesn't give you as much juice. This one has thirty watts, which is plenty for almost every gadget nowadays. You know, some laptops will take that as a trickle charge. I know it's getting a little technical, but you know, it depends on the wattage of the device. But all the phones and things like that will charge really fast with a thirty walk.
Speaker 1: All right, Rich will catch you this weekend Saturday morning tomorrow on KTLA and or Saturday eleven am to two pm here on KFI and next Tuesday.
Speaker 3: All right, you have a good one.
Speaker 2: Oh right, thank you,