Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio while just search Ie on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Iron the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I think we're on. We're kind of chit chatting outside the studio. Welcome back, everybody. We got our calls. You can call us five two oh four one, six seventy four, forty would love to hear from you. We can have some time now before we get to Clark christ in about fifteen minutes. All these people that we have on, everybody's kind of like, whatever happened to that guy?
Speaker 3: Whatever?
Speaker 4: Whatever happened that guy used to be on k gun. Uh, there are so many dam only.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Yeah, you had TV business for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you were probably the longest lasting guy of all of them, because you you outlasted Dan. Dan got here when I got here eighty seven, so so, and Kevin left. Kevin wasn't here all that long, Okay, right, correct? So you were you were like then Kevin and I started almost exact same time.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, came down from flag Staff and I came over from California, but he left and went off to Phoenix and I stayed.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, so you outlasted Dan and you outlasted Kevin and everybody else is kind of like here for moments. Although although Alamita's here been here for a while.
Speaker 3: Now, Yeah, he's gonna probably approaching twenty years.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking, yeah, Alameda and then uh, Channel nine what's his name? Has only been here about ten Jason Jason Barr? Yeah, and four? Who's at four now? Because now that Skala left, Oh, it's the it's what's her name? I don't know her first name. I always forget her name, you know, And now they've only they only have one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's changed.
Speaker 4: The business has changed a lot, for sure, and people aren't sticking around, and salaries are part of the reason, and commitment to local sports is part of the reason.
Speaker 3: Right, you can get into it that can you tell me secrets? No? But I mean, can you tell me some secrets?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Because and it's hey, we paper clothes for me, you know, what the hell? And how many people are old doing this? Not very many? You have very few people. And I was gonna say enough that there's a cut off line because if you have, if you're older on TV, holy crab, good for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, I mean you have to put up with a lot of stuff.
Speaker 4: And if you've been around, I mean they're so cost conscious now that they don't. You know, you kind of reach a level of pay and you know, you've been working in the business for twenty twenty five years. You get to a level and that's as high as you're gonna go.
Speaker 2: Right, No, you have to understand that if you're in the business, right, sorry, you're not gonna get.
Speaker 3: We love you.
Speaker 4: You bring in ratings, but this is your salary and this is what's going to be.
Speaker 3: If you like it or you don't like it, that's what it is.
Speaker 4: It's kind of how it's going. That's why Lupita lasted so long. All right, all right, So yeah, a little breaking news. We got basketball tonight to Oklahoma City and Indianyeah. What do you think Game three? Okay, see, baby, you're going for the thunder. I'm going for the thunder.
Speaker 2: I think they'll get one right away and then maybe maybe lose the next game. But they need to win at least one, right They were the favorite to win it all, so of course so I think they're still a favor tonight, the favorite by five and a half.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think they'll win tonight. Win tonight and see what happens after that. That first game gave everybody hope. Good good for you. Eat that hope and see how it's Halliburton is. I mean, he's been like the miracle Man in his playoffs and some other shows.
Speaker 3: What team did he come from? Do you remember?
Speaker 4: I think?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, where do you go to school? You are good? Yes, you are correct? I think I saw it. Wasn't there a moment that were talking about, like from Iowa State to the Kings to Yeah, I didn't know.
Speaker 3: I kind of forgot. We gotta call. We got a call, Vic. What are you doing?
Speaker 8: What happening? What happen?
Speaker 3: What's the word? VIC?
Speaker 8: Just want to tell you guys have had a couple of great shows. Steve the last couple of days that deal with Robbie he was great, and Reggie yesterday and uh, but I just wanted to tell you you guys are talking about the guys that leave town and all that, and uh, you guys are young enough to remember. Remember we couldn't get the highlights unless we watched Monday Night Football with Howard co Stall and all that that stuff back in the day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Well David and I talked about this back.
Speaker 2: In the eighties, or even with mister Who's it to mister Owl who passed away a couple of years a day, johncy Scott. So you said to bring the tapes back right on the plane. Tell me, no, that was me, okay, tell me.
Speaker 4: Well, remember the UFA was on probation right in the early eighties when the football team was on probation, so they couldn't show the games live. That was one of the one of the rules. So we were showing the games, we were televising the games. We would record them on tape and and then we would just fly back from wherever, you know, La San Francisco or Oregon. So I literally had the tapes, you know, in a suitcase with me coming back to the to the station to get him on the air, like a ten thirty that night, and god forbid, the plane was late.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I just called the station.
Speaker 4: Going get a show, get Mash ready or some show to go on the air because I'm not going to make it. But that's how things were going in those years.
Speaker 8: Well, I'll tell you what you guys. I mean, Steve, you know, I just moved here from California, and every Wednesday I would get a package from my sister, God bless her, and it was the week's worth of newspapers, The Citizen and the Stars sports pages and the VHS tapes of that week's game. And because I couldn't see them unless they were nationally calvised, so she'd record them on VHS and send them to me every Monday.
Speaker 7: Nice.
Speaker 3: Cool, that's how you read me. That's how you read me this.
Speaker 8: Yes, I knew you and I vire yep, definitely definitely league.
Speaker 3: No nobody cares.
Speaker 8: That was That was some cool stuff, man, was the best. And then and then day you were taught about Texas oil. So my my daughters both played j C ball at Howard College in Big Spring, Texas. And the day they checked in, we were back in l A and they send this picture with all this gear. I mean it was jackets and they were Adidas, two pairs of running shoes, two pairs of cleats, all this stuff. And I called him back. I said, hey, I don't got to pay for that, do I? And they're like, no, Dad, some oil man sponsors and that's a JC.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, that's all.
Speaker 8: So you can tell the money that that flows through for for tech and all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no question. Well yeah, the guy's name there, Cody Campbell. Did you did that?
Speaker 7: Name?
Speaker 3: Ring a Bell?
Speaker 4: And he's a major Texas Tech booster. He played football for them and he no.
Speaker 3: Paying the picture. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 8: Can you imagine that's two million dollars? But Steve, you've talked told me this before. What's the return on that investment? I don't get it.
Speaker 3: I don't know. That's tough. Well, they were on TV a lot to the end, so I'm sure.
Speaker 8: That's that's just to say, Hey, I'm the one that brought and I shoot you, what are.
Speaker 3: You talking about? For him? Not for the team?
Speaker 9: Really?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, because when you have that much money, what does a care? What do you the care if you get an investment?
Speaker 8: Dude, I guess. But even if you have a lot of money, a million bucks is still a million bucks.
Speaker 3: That's probably like twenty dollars to you and me. Huge.
Speaker 8: But anyway, you guys have done a great job this man, honestly, Steve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you. Yeah, yeah, did you listen to yesterday?
Speaker 8: I haven't yet because I went on the thing last night and you hadn't boasted it.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's on my Facebook page. I think Bill talked about it, so I posted on his comments that it was a good show. So I posted both hours on that on that podcast.
Speaker 8: Okay, I'll jump on it because Kenny is my guy. Man, that's great, my favorite.
Speaker 3: He was great. Yeah, Okay, thank you man.
Speaker 8: Okay, you got to take that.
Speaker 3: You did.
Speaker 2: You hosted the Ludelson Camp last last year. You were kind of the spokesperson. So Kenny was here. I think he was here, which with Sean, and he doesn't say, Oh, he doesn't talk a whole a lot. He's very quiet, dude. But he was good yesterday. And you know, obviously he was very quiet when he was here, but he's still fantastically talented.
Speaker 4: He was pretty young. I mean, it was like seventeen when he got him. He's a young freshman Chicago out of Chicago, and you know, he kind of was overshadowed by Sean Elliott and Steven Cook and Steve Kerr and that whole group. And there were a lot of talkers on that team. And you know, he was kind of like, you know, okay, we'll go talk to Kenny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you didn't get much from him. It didn't get much.
Speaker 4: And then he started to become quite a player, like maybe in his sophomore year where he was really needed more.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he grew up.
Speaker 4: And I'm sure being in the major leagues where you're probably interviewed every single day, someone's coming up to your locker, he got used to talking. He's got better and grown up. Sure, and you know he can handle himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question, doing really well for himself now a film producer. I think he's doing some films and it's good and things like that. Helping kids play baseball, you know, I learn how to play baseball.
Speaker 3: Should say it's good.
Speaker 4: I mean again, he was a guy that came in and we didn't know much about him, but I remember doing some cute little stories with him just he was messing around slam dunking.
Speaker 3: What was he five'?
Speaker 7: Ten?
Speaker 3: No if that? Five he's out there playing, it you, know before.
Speaker 4: Practice he'd be out there AND i remember we did a story with him just like you, know doing like a you, Know kenny's greatest hits with his dunks.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was.
Speaker 2: Fun, yeah NICE I berinch AND i MENTIONED i didn't cover this teams but, Him Brian williams And reggie being some of the most physically gifted guys On loot's. Teams, ever And luke used to rave About Brian, williams you know by Someon delli as you know here he was sixty eleven seven foot running the court like he did and then he lost and, said yeah and no, question you know they'd run sprints and guess who was number?
Speaker 3: Two it Was Brian. Williams guess who was number?
Speaker 2: One?
Speaker 4: Kenny so, yeah and plus he had to sit out a year. Too remember From maryland those rules back in the, day remember that actually sit. OUT i mean that's and that was just after the years where freshman couldn't even play right where they played still on the freshman.
Speaker 3: Team can you imagine That.
Speaker 2: Now it's, like what's your? Name come, on put this uniform. On here's twenty, bucks he's two hundred thousand.
Speaker 3: Dollars play for one year and off you. Go, yeah good.
Speaker 2: Luck, yeah the draft coming up pretty. Soon i'm going to try to get a hold Of.
Speaker 4: Kleble The ringer yesterday put out their mock, draft they Had Carter bryan at number.
Speaker 2: Nine number, nine that's probably the Highest i've, seen so it's more like fourteen nine to Whom toronto, Okay.
Speaker 4: And they were, saying, yeah he's kind of a Typical raptor. Player they've had a lot of guys kind of you, know in his, style long, armed you, know six foot, nine, athletic you.
Speaker 3: Know so he's such a good.
Speaker 2: Kid but you know, what we don't know how good of a kid he, is, no because we didn't have really access to the. Kid, YEAH i mean you would hear always a great.
Speaker 4: Kid you, know his mom and this and, that and, YEAH i don't know he knew the sign language and those kinds of, stories but who.
Speaker 2: Knows, yeah, no another guy who's coming gone and you think he's a. Wildcat, yeah it was Like DeAndre andre was, here one of the better, players but you really don't know much about.
Speaker 4: Him, WELL i mean even with Tam, MAC i mean we all knew he was going to be top in the first. Round, yeah and to see him go as high as he, did you, know so maybe we'll be somewhat surprised With. Bryanton, yeah maybe it could be the same kind of. Situation how would you look back on this.
Speaker 2: Year i'm trying to Get disraady to come on the show too at some, point soon get her to talk about, yeah yeah we have no but you know we. Can't how do you think this first year went for her or just the U a in? General because football was uh. Mah basketball men's and women's men's was, okay it was better THAN i give it an. EIGHT i Think jay AND i talked about eight maybe women's, BASKETBALL i don't, know seven ish seven ish layers more it was more what the hell's going? On?
Speaker 3: Then, god this team is? Good?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 3: Uh and then that was that. Sport those.
Speaker 2: Sports volleyball turned out to be, okay you, know maybe a, seven seven and a. Half they went to they won that title in the postseason whatever it was.
Speaker 3: In it or.
Speaker 4: Something, yeah, SOFTBALLOTBALL i don't know seven and a. Half, again you're, right would you? AGREE i guess the tournament and you know there's people that would, say are you? Crazy you, know but they're they were pretty. Good what are you in? Thirteen an overall record was? Great but WHEN i counted most, though that's the.
Speaker 3: Problem, yeah, no you're. Judging In march In.
Speaker 2: May, Okay so there's, that then some some track and, field although nobody really pays attention to.
Speaker 4: That swimming not so good and, continuing, RIGHT i think this, WEEK i think so it. STARTS i think it starts.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow In oregon with With, Harvey Fred harvey LEAVING uh tennis, fantastic.
Speaker 3: At least the men's WOMEN'S i think we're pretty good. Too so you look back and you, think, well, okay he still hasn't gotten past the sweet sixteen, tennis which is kind of kind of, sad such this one great.
Speaker 2: Player, yeah, YEAH i say this not. Jokingly i'm serious WHEN i say. SO i think he's the best coach on. Campus when did you ever go to the as a, reporter go to the tennis? Facility they have one my, point exactly to do a. STORY i, mean, now they're in the top ten most of the, time. EXACTLY i, mean come, on that doesn't happen by.
Speaker 4: Accident, no there were there were every once in a, while there'd be some reason to go out. There and maybe it wasn't even because they were. Good there was just some player that was either coming to town or from somewhere. ELSE i had one player on the team that was worth doing a feature. On, yeah but we wouldn't go out. THERE i, MEAN i don't think the stations ever have gone out there to like just go shoot, highlights, right you need.
Speaker 3: To find a, story, Right and they were there a lot because you have, Like, Okay i'm gonna show this one, guy, right or at least.
Speaker 2: Right and then that team was kind of like a mixed bag of pretty good. Players and then they loved each. Other you, know they were kind of, like it's a fun time to go watch. Tennis everyone's you know the little. Pop, no these guys are having.
Speaker 3: Fun, yeah did you watch The French open? Tennis?
Speaker 4: Change, NO i did not sound like at the same time as The Arizona, YES.
Speaker 3: I was screens. GOING i was enthralled with.
Speaker 2: SOFTBALL i just was BECAUSE i, Thought, Uh, jody what's your name from From? Nebraska the picture, RULES i can't remember her, name Ball dura ball.
Speaker 3: FANTASTIC i think she's.
Speaker 2: Fantastic and then obviously The texas take a Picture kennedy uh and some other ones just you, know how good these people and then the, feeling the, fielding the, defense you, know and they were hitting bombs. Too the games are. COMPELLING i JUST i couldn't stop not watching.
Speaker 3: It, yeah it's funny Because arizona just seems like that Was.
Speaker 4: Arizona, yeah you know you back in the. Day, yeah these other teams have caught up and they do have, players and they're coming from the same Spots Orange county for somewhere In, california and you know they're going off and playing In, Texas tech And texas and places like.
Speaker 2: That, okay we gotta, Go we gotta. Go starty six. Fourteen it goes by, Fast, Dave so we'll come back here With Clark.
Speaker 11: Christ are you ready ready to discover your, soul your wild, side your, passion your joy and. Excitement from the latest slots and table, games to award winning, dining to world class entertainment to a luxurious.
Speaker 3: Resort discover all this and.
Speaker 11: More discover With Soul casino Del, soul The soul Of. Tucson are you ready enterprise So FASCA Yucki.
Speaker 12: Tribe The Window depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your. Dreams browsey aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and, configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today visit a showroom and let our experts guide. You whether you you're choosing For mandy To go designs or creating a custom. Masterpiece we can help you select the perfect, wood, type color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your. Look find a location near you at the window deepot dot. Com the Window depot more than a windows.
Speaker 2: Store Steve rivera here to talk About Doratle rock And. MATERIALS i needed a lot of gravel for my, driveway SO i Called eric At Derattle. Rock he found out the amount and COLOR i needed and, boom it was taken care of and at a great. Price how DO i know radio commercials. WORK i heard one of his on the. Radio Dorato Rock materials provides a wide range of landscaping, materials including decorative, rock, boulders, gravel, soil and sand for residential and commercial use in The tucson. Area they are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen. Years, Kim we'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three. Three spring is in the air and this school year is coming to a. Close time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your Student.
Speaker 3: Athlete Creative awards.
Speaker 9: With fifty two years as your top awards and promotional products. Supplier give them an award they can be proud. Of they have, trophies, blacks, acrylics art, class fine, crystal, metal name, badges stock and custom. Awards come visit The Creative Awards Idea center at two twenty Eight West TrackMan, street across the street FROM Pema College downtown, campus or visit them online At Creative awards az dot.
Speaker 13: Com At nova Home, loans we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home. Ownership Paul volpei is ready to help you find an option that best fits your. Needs whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the. Refinance nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique. Situation visit voltpeteam dot, Com That's volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two Six today N mls three oh eight, seven arizon a B K ninez two nine four Two Equal Housing, Opportunity got to commitment To lyndrix syn credit rates and available loan programs Or uptic to change with.
Speaker 3: Untice did you.
Speaker 14: Know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies. Around whether you're looking at start or expand your, Collection Showtime cards is your ultimate. Destination as one of the leading card shops in the, country we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card. Games from rare fines to the latest, Releases Showtime cards has it. All check them out At showtimecards Dot com or visit them On East speedway and discover why collectors everywhere Trush Showtime cards for their.
Speaker 9: Passion Richard Bacall Law, office Defending arizonas for over thirty years and a wildcat fan for over. Sixty if you need an experienced criminal defense, attorney Call Richard bacall five two oh seven to four To zho twelve. Thirteen broud sponsor OF i on The. Ball go, cats.
Speaker 10: Got, bugs, termites, bees or, Rodents Arizona Pest control will hunt them. Down Arizona Pest control is your complete desert pest management. Specialist tests can't run or hide From Arizona Pest. Control they use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available which minimizes the effects on the. Environment Let Arizona Pest control get rid of your bad, bugs, termitespees or rodents Serving tucson And Southern arizona since nineteen forty. Seven go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation.
Speaker 7: Today mining so.
Speaker 15: Important it's the foundation of everything that defines a. Society everything you see is a product of, mine no matter, when no matter, how no matter. Why every society on this planet has, developed grown and modernized based solely on the minerals in the. Process that's why mining is so.
Speaker 2: Important donnybm dot.
Speaker 12: Com looking for quality windows without the, Weight come to The Window. Depot we carry a huge selection of mill guard windows in stock now and ready for. Pickup need something custom no, Problem from new construction to full home. Replacement will help you order the perfect mill guard windows built to fit your, space style and. Budget whether you're a homeowner or, contractor The Window depot makes it easy to get the windows you need. Fast visit The Window deepot dot com to find a location near you and see why we're your mill guard window.
Speaker 1: Experts streaming live on The Ihearts RADIO Aip this IS i on The ball With Steve rivera On Fox sports fourteen Fifty.
Speaker 2: Okay welcome back to why In Paul Gerrol Fox sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Nine Steve, rivera You're James Silver think, YEAH i think. WE'RON i think we're live yes on with us at?
Speaker 4: Night?
Speaker 3: Now Is Clark Christ? Clark how are you?
Speaker 7: Good?
Speaker 3: Guys?
Speaker 7: Good everything's.
Speaker 3: Good great to have you on the.
Speaker 2: Show there's so much to talk about with you because you have this like, this this, name and people who are in baseball or no baseball know the. Name. RIGHT i Had Kenny loughton on yesterday and he, said you, KNOW i owe a lot to this man what you.
Speaker 5: DID i appreciate that he did a lot for, me put me on the. Map is that as a pretty good?
Speaker 3: Scout you? Know did you have guys before? Him or was?
Speaker 7: GUY i, mean my first big leaguer Was Dave.
Speaker 5: Rodi he was a short shot At University version on the eighty six national championship team AND i got him and he was my first big. Leaguer THEN i got a Kidnamed Lou fraser out Of Scottsdale Community college and he forever was the only Scott Stale Community college player that ever got the big, leagues AND i got him and he these are two. There and THEN i Got, kenny and then that just changed my whole world because he was such a long shot and being a basketball, player and you had to really think outside the box.
Speaker 7: When you're thinking About.
Speaker 5: Kenny AND i was able to take outside of the box because he was such a great, athlete AND i was able to convince my club to go ahead and do. It AND i was very fortunate because you, know he seventeen year big leaguer with twenty five hundred hits and should be.
Speaker 7: In The hall Of fame and will. Be and he put me on the map BECAUSE i could BECAUSE i was a. Dreamer and then then you.
Speaker 5: Part who out Of vegas and he was a basket player At Saint john's AND i made a.
Speaker 7: Picture let me basketball crew.
Speaker 2: Park let me interrupt you real. Quick you're breaking in it in and. Out you're were good there for a while and then you started to break.
Speaker 3: Up maybe he's hope he's still. There he might be.
Speaker 2: GONE i think we lost. HIM i think we lost. Him, yeah he's actually a rehab. Facility he just uh.
Speaker 3: There, yeah you might need to get into a better spot because you're breaking.
Speaker 7: Up, okay where CAN i?
Speaker 2: Go maybe maybe you're a window or. Something so so we Had kenny on what did you? See because because obviously we all knew him as a great baseball, player a great, athlete but big.
Speaker 3: Basketball i'm, sorry good think you? Did? Uh and what with your?
Speaker 2: Eye what do you think just because he was a good athlete that he'd be able to pull this?
Speaker 3: Off?
Speaker 7: Yeah he was because he was left handed and.
Speaker 5: Can you hear me?
Speaker 3: Now? Ye a little bit? Better, Okay so he.
Speaker 7: Was WHAT i thought about him.
Speaker 5: Was is he was the fastest Kid i've ever, seen and he was left. Handed and if you're going to teach a guy to learn how to, hit it's better to start from the left side than the right side because if most of the pitchure the right handed and so the break the balls will, come it'll be easier to be able to do.
Speaker 7: It so that was my thought at the. Time and he was such a.
Speaker 5: LEADER i remember his speed and his makeup was such a he was a strong, competitor AND i knew that was going to have to play a part in it. Too and you know the team he played on that, year every one of them were going to BE nba, players AND i, thought you know, What kenny can find his own way in, baseball and you know all, that all, them all my thoughts at the time all came. TRUE i think that was the greatest part about, it because WHEN i saw, HIM i could just some envision when everything came, together what he could be and and it all came, through and it Was it gave me such confidence to Keep.
Speaker 2: YEAH i think you're still breaking. Up now you're doing, okay and then you bring up a Little in, Addition, Dave, dave you had the list of a couple of.
Speaker 3: Old we're gonna go, outside, okay, okay there.
Speaker 4: Was some other, Ones, Dave, WELL i Mean Albert pooholes of. Course, yeah he's one of the one of the big. Ones Dave, roady who was on that eighty six. Team you, mentioned how did how did you even Get kenny to a baseball? Field how did that even? Work i've never understood how that how you chanced even see he.
Speaker 3: Was he was at you.
Speaker 7: And they've finished the pilot.
Speaker 3: Four that YEAR i think are year.
Speaker 7: Sixteen, yeah and he came out the baseball. Too it because he loved baseball and he thought he'd give it a. CHANCE i.
Speaker 5: Try SO i made a call To Jerry, stanton, Said, hey tell me About. Lofton he, said he's pretty. Good why don't you come down? Here SO i, Did and SO i went down to watch him and he was in a scrimmage AND i saw. HIM i saw him hit a ball and run and he ran to first.
Speaker 3: Base AND i swear to, god it was like three six.
Speaker 7: Something that's the Time i'd ever seen in my.
Speaker 3: Life AND i was by.
Speaker 5: Myself SO i was a rookie, scout And i'm, thinking DID i just screw this up or?
Speaker 3: What but, no he was that.
Speaker 5: Fast and and you, know he was just he had such good hand eye, coordination and he's such a, competitor you, know and that being AND i found that out about him even later because he AND i. Don't everything we, did we, competed so we competed against each, other.
Speaker 7: AND i didn't realize what a competitor he. Was the other guy that's a highly competitive guy was it was.
Speaker 3: Googles, Yeah and how did you find, Him? Albert did you find?
Speaker 7: HIM i was cross checking. HIM i was CROSS i was In.
Speaker 5: Maples he was At Maplewoods Junior, college In missouri AND i saw him in a double, header and THEN i went saw him another, doubleheader and you, KNOW i was telling people and at the, time you, know we didn't give him that much. Money AND i talked To. Albert i'm friends With, albert AND i told, Him, Man i'm so sorry we didn't give you anything close to the way you were.
Speaker 7: Worked he, goes, No, no that was. Good that kept me. Motivated So i'm, like, okay but you, know if you'd have told me.
Speaker 5: Back then THAT i was talking to a kid that was going to hit six hundred home runs in the major, LEAGUES i, mean come, on, MAN i mean and Then, kenny the numbers he, did you, know those are JUST i was VERY i was, fortunate you, KNOW i knew they were. Good sometimes they're better than you, think you, know sometimes you think they're good and they they're not very.
Speaker 7: Good you, know so depends ON.
Speaker 4: I was gonna just take us back a little bit before that in your YOUR u OF a days And steve AND i were not here. Yet we've heard the stories with that that team obviously with with With terry and.
Speaker 3: You and nineteen Eighty West clemas And.
Speaker 4: LEFFERTS i, mean there were some pretty good players coming out of that.
Speaker 3: Team maybe just.
Speaker 5: Well it was a special, team and you don't realize until, later because when you realize that eight players off that team played in the big, leagues you, know and then all of us got drafted and played professional. BASEBALL i, mean it. Was it was a phenomenal. Team it. Was it was a mix of speed at the top with With Dwight taylor And Johnny. Moses it had in the middle of the. Lineup in seventy, nine it was. ME i was in the middle of, lineup but they Had Frank kona and uh and What clements and Then Ronnie quick And eye up the. Middle we were solid. Defensively we actually set to THE ncaa wreck for eighty. One we had eighty one double. Plays and then you had the best out and then you Had Wes clements at, first who hit a ball further than any Man i've ever. Seen and then you had the outfield Of Terry francona And Johnny moses And Dwight taylor who.
Speaker 7: Could run balls down like you wouldn't believe.
Speaker 5: IT i, mean they just were such nothing fell in the, outfield and then you, know it just and then you Had Donny hyman behind the plate catch. It he was a, great great, catcher And Casey candell played. Third he was a young kid and he was just a scrappy. Guy so he fit us all pretty. Well but it was A it was a special. Team you don't realize how special till later in life you really look back and, go, man they put the Coach kendall and those guys put together one heck of a.
Speaker 3: Team they had it all itching, too and.
Speaker 5: The lefferts And barger And Jeff morris And powers And calendars.
Speaker 3: And everybody like. That they all did a great.
Speaker 2: Job you you mentioned all these. NAMES i, mean come, on what Was kendall's? Specialty because he found?
Speaker 5: Talent well what he was good At AND i can tell you what me.
Speaker 7: Was he liked my competitive fire and.
Speaker 5: If you just listen to him about the, fundamentals he could make you a better.
Speaker 7: Infielder and he. Did he made. ME i was.
Speaker 5: PERFECT i was a perfect mold for him BECAUSE i was just. SO i was like a, sponge just absorbing everything he was saying and teach me how to. Play because what he did is he taught you how to. Play because back then we, had we, had we, had and we would. Draw we had the biggest we had the biggest fan base in the country at The university Of. ARIZONA i, mean there would be anywhere from ten, thousand five thousand to ten thousand people in the stands watching us. Play and he could get you ready to get to be able to do this in front of a lot of people and not get nervous and even stay in the moment because of his.
Speaker 3: Fundamentals so he really.
Speaker 7: Talented that stuff on.
Speaker 5: You and then so when you got To omaha twenty four thousand people in the, stands he didn't.
Speaker 3: Bother you were like you were like ready for, it you.
Speaker 5: Know so he was really good At he just had a. Knack And Jim wing had a knack, too you. Know they their tentacles went. Everywhere many people want they had such a great history that the coaches around the country wanted their kids to come to play for these.
Speaker 3: Guys, yeah that makes.
Speaker 4: Sense it's an interesting collection of your players from all over the. PLACE i, mean because What terry was coming from What pennsylvania and you're. HERE i, mean it was an interesting. GROUP i guess maybe that's kind of the way it still. IS i mean the current team has some local talent as.
Speaker 5: Well. YEAH i mean he got a Local Mason. White he's you, know a local Good so he's a lot LIKE i.
Speaker 3: Was are you still just that he just he just had go ahead and let you.
Speaker 7: Finish he has a little better power THAN i.
Speaker 3: Had, yeah, yeah very.
Speaker 7: Good he asked me the other. Day they, said you, KNOW i was looking at the.
Speaker 5: Numbers you have no home runs and this kid's second AND i, said, yeah WELL i HIT i hit one out IN vp in uh In.
Speaker 7: Omaha you, know at LEAST i did.
Speaker 3: That are you we were? Different are you still doing are you still doing?
Speaker 2: THIS i know we can talk about what's going on with you, now but are you still active doing?
Speaker 3: Stuff?
Speaker 5: NO i MEAN i, retired you, KNOW i basically retired from The diamondbacks and and THEN i was managing a team in The Happy Relation league for every summer for three, summers AND.
Speaker 3: I love, that but that kind of.
Speaker 5: Ended and then you know WHAT i didn't end up doing WAS i have A Golden retriever THAT i made a therapy dog out, of and we visited THE Va hospital.
Speaker 7: And the hospitals Around phoenix with my.
Speaker 3: Dog SO i have.
Speaker 7: A i have a special relationship with my.
Speaker 5: Dog and WHEN i went, down who was in my who was in my hospital bed waiting for?
Speaker 3: Me my.
Speaker 6: Dog so he's a special guy, man and he's not left my side since and, uh you, know on my left side is, compromised and he licks my left, hand not my right.
Speaker 3: Hand it's.
Speaker 5: Nice he's like he's trying to help me get this thing going. Again it's it's it's. Amazing dogs are. Amazing And i'm a Big Golden retriever, Guy SO i, mean he's a. Special he means a lot to, me and everybody that meets him loves him because he's such a such a such a neat. Dog so, YEAH i was very fortunate to have. Him or he ended up being my therapy, dog you. Know so it's nice to. Have BUT i also had the support of my, wife Who i'm telling that story that you know. Here she wasn't just opened a priest elementary school junior high AND i went and WHEN i went, down she Was she walked in there and designed and, said nobody's going to take care of him but, Me and she has not left.
Speaker 7: My side since my.
Speaker 3: Stroke and you know what day that stroke.
Speaker 7: Happened it happened on nine to, eleven.
Speaker 3: And i'm believing most where were you at?
Speaker 5: HOME i was at A i was at A sprouts store getting food for, dinner and all of a, Sudden, YEAH i had a lightheaded moment AND i was, LIKE, whoa what's? That AND i started leaning against this machine and next THING i, Know i'm GOING i slipped off of it AND i hit the. GROUND i hit my head on the ground and it bounced like a basketball and just AND i, went.
Speaker 3: OH i, KNOW i cut myself.
Speaker 5: There but then people came over and the first person to come to me was a doctor of all, things and they called the ambulance and got me on the got me to a hospital and took me to a trauma place to get me and then they end up ended up putting me in a in a RAW bacu meet on a helicopter to it's where my doctor was in CASE i had a. BLEED i didn't have a. BLEED i Was they didn't have brain. Surgery SO i was very fortunate BECAUSE i didn't lose my. MEMORY i never lost, consciousness you, KNOW i was very fortunate THAT i didn't lose my.
Speaker 3: MEMORY i IMAGINE i didn't want to lose my. Memory, MAN i got so many stories in your. System, OH i gotta have a.
Speaker 5: LUNCH i, MEAN i gotta TELL i could do a radio shop for.
Speaker 3: Hours, well you need to come down to here and be my co. Host so what are you going to be doing this?
Speaker 4: Weekend with with with the games starting actually On.
Speaker 5: Friday, Yeah i'll watch every minute of. Them i've been watching it Because i'm a Big chip al fan number, one and Obviously i'm a big U a, fan BUT i love What chip has done with those. Kids you, Know chips Get chip gets his hands dirty. Guys he gets in there and helps. Him, man he's he's really a hands on minds me a lot Of Jerry. Kendall you, know he doesn't he doesn't sit on the bench.
Speaker 3: And watch everybody do their.
Speaker 5: Work he gets right in there and puts in his his two cents on, everything which is.
Speaker 3: Is what he really is good at what he.
Speaker 5: Does and to have him take Our wildcats to The World series is is really cool because we deserve to be back in the work and we. Did and AND i Heard chip say something after the game when he was talking to the. Kids he, said, now we're going To omaha to win, it AND i love that. Attitude, Man we're going to win, it not just to show. Up we're going to win it because in nineteen eighty we went there to win. It that there was not a guy on that team that did not believe that we.
Speaker 3: Couldn't win The World.
Speaker 4: Series so so let me ask, YOU i want you to put your hat on for the scouting Of white and the closure that they.
Speaker 2: Have because he's like a he's like five eight nine and he's like unorthodox but.
Speaker 3: Fantastic, yeah he's.
Speaker 5: Wonderful they're both are good, players you know it just you know with if you break if you break them, down you know you're looking at size and you, know velocity nowadays for closers is like ninety five to one. HUNDRED i, mean it's. Unbelievable but this kid has a. Knack i'll be able TO i think he hides the ball pretty well and the ball jumps at these. Kids AND i like his breaking. Ball it's got a late, break late bite to, it and he throws. Strikes he doesn't walk a lot of. People you, Know it's LIKE i told, people you. Can't well that's one thing about The World series and these big. Games you can't let people just get free, bases, Right you got to do the little things. Right and then so if you do the little things, right just Like Mason, white you, know Make, yeah obviously he's there to hit home.
Speaker 7: Runs but he's also there to play good.
Speaker 5: Defense so don't open the door for them to take advantage of. It we're not in The World series if that kid would have caught that ground ball and on a routine ground, ball and and.
Speaker 7: You know that's how that's how it gets in those. Games it's the little things that.
Speaker 5: Count so you, know keep people off, base make your, plays make the routine, plays keep people in, check and then you got a chance to, win and don't try to be more than you. Are it's like saying That Mason, white they you're going to go in there and hit six home.
Speaker 3: Runs no that's.
Speaker 5: Not, no you're gonna you probably gonna get a, couple but you, know but hit For that's WHAT i loved About mason the last game he came up in that. SITUATION i think a lot of people, thought with the bases, loaded he's going to hit a grand. Slam you know what he. Did he took a big. Hack his first, Time i'm, like oh, no we're in. Trouble and then it's then he shortened it up and got a base. Hit that's that's, hitting and that's that's that's, It and that that made me like him even more because he was capable of doing. That, now if he ha's won for the fences and struck out because he's trying to hit On Grand, SLAM i don't THINK I i've been very happy with. That you, know he needed to put the ball in, play and he did. So i'm a big fan of. HIM i you, KNOW i DON'T i think there's holes in a. Swing he strikes out way too. Much there's no question about. That he's gonna have to. Shorten he's gonna have to correct that a little. Bit but in today's, world they're not as concerned about strikeouts as they used to. Be WHEN i was GOING i, WAS i was a different kind of player than he.
Speaker 3: WAS i was a CONTACT i was taught to.
Speaker 5: Contact coach still was big on, contact and we used to back back spin balls and we used to use the ground a lot In arizona because the sun used to bake on that.
Speaker 7: Ground he was hard as A.
Speaker 5: Cement, well you wanted to use the ground to get base, hit SO i.
Speaker 7: WAS i was taught to hit ground balls and mine. Drives so that's what we were.
Speaker 5: DIFFERENT i never you, know today's, world they lift the ball more than we did back.
Speaker 4: Then, yeah and it'll be so much. Fun did you see them performing on a big stage on this? Too you, know were used to see on him in High corbett or. Whatever but to be on NATIONAL tv and you, know twenty thousand, fans it'll be great to see who can rise to the.
Speaker 3: Akid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah and it's And i'll tell you what they're in for a, lifelong lifelong memories because you, KNOW i was fortunate in seventy nine we got, there and in eighty we got.
Speaker 3: There we got to go two years THAT i was.
Speaker 7: In we got to go IN olh and to win it and there's nothing like.
Speaker 5: It you, know we just played the last game of the, year you, know and you get to hug the guys around you and.
Speaker 3: You have lifetime.
Speaker 5: FRIENDSHIPS i, MEAN i still we have a chain of all of us still talk off that. Team we still like reminiss about stuff and then we listen To Wes clements on the radio ON tv and tell stories about eighty team and you know it just it never leaves. You it's it's a wonderful. Experience and this guy's are up for you, know just IF i could tell them, Anything stay in the. Moment don't get bigger than what it, is you, know just stay in the moment and play the game the way you're, taught and play the, fundamentals and don't try to be more than you, are and just be a, good solid baseball player and be.
Speaker 2: Smart, Well, clark we gotta, Go we gotta. Go thank you very much for a best of health to. You we'll probably talk to you again sometime. Soon thank.
Speaker 3: You see you, Guys yeah you, will thank. You thank. You that Was Clark.
Speaker 2: Christ we've got to come back way, over so we'll come back and take our last time. Out if you're An arizona men's basketball, fan you know it's been successful for nearly forty.
Speaker 3: Years.
Speaker 2: Now take a look back at The ludolsen era in my new, Book lessons From. Loot it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former, players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them competed against them and inspired. Them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years As arizona's beloved. Coach lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national. Powerhouse want One email me At steve DOT rivera ninety five at gmail dot.
Speaker 7: Com where do you buy?
Speaker 3: It exercise Equipment Arizona.
Speaker 7: Health Arizona Health Arizona.
Speaker 16: Health of, course to feel better and look, better it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone. Else At Arizona, health our goal is to help you.
Speaker 3: Choose the equipment you need to reach your.
Speaker 16: Goals your health and fitness deserve the best you. Deserve Arizona health the leading it in exercise equipment on twenty second just west Of.
Speaker 9: Wilmot what's your goal a new career or career? Advancement how about transferring to a four year. COLLEGE Pema Community college can help you Make someday today and reach your goals affordably on your. Schedule with over one hundred programs to choose from and financial did, Available it's time to earn the degreeer certificate you need to prepare for the career you. WANT pema offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for. You learn how AT pema dot edu slash. Someday Hey, Tucson, steve And i've got a tip for.
Speaker 2: You want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at, home then you need to call my friends at The Edmond Marcus All State. Agency these guys are the MVPs of home and auto. Coverage whether it's a fender bender or a leaky, Roof they've got you. Covered don't fumble your chance to. Save call them today and score big on your. Insurance with The Edmund Marcus All State, Agency you're always in good. Hands visit them at twenty seven Nineteen Nord campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three.
Speaker 3: Three where do.
Speaker 7: You buy exercise?
Speaker 17: Equipment Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona.
Speaker 16: Health of, course to feel better and look, better it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone. Else At Arizona, health our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your. Goals your health and fitness deserve the best you.
Speaker 17: Deserve Arizona health the lead manage and exercise equipment on twenty, second just west Of Wilmot, Craving Tucson's Best, burger The Fourth Avenue legend is.
Speaker 18: Back lindy's On fourth is celebrating twenty years And lindy himself is.
Speaker 3: Back behind the.
Speaker 18: Grill we've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink. Specials don't miss our upcoming twentieth Anniversary Summer bash and year end. Celebration so come down To lindy's On fourth or order online at l fourth dot. Com lindy And Tucson's Best burger are waiting.
Speaker 19: At Pyramid Federal Credit. Union we believe less is. More let's pies need more money in your. Pocket less hassle means more time for what, matters and less stress means more confidence in your financial. Future Pyramids Lessons More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at The Tucson Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit union Where less Is more federally insured BY, ncua An Equal opportunity.
Speaker 1: Lender this IS i on the With Steve rovera On Fox. Sports fourteen. Fifty subscribe now to the podcast on The iHeartRadio while just Search eye on The.
Speaker 2: Ball, okay welcome back to MY i on The ball here On Fox Sports fortune. Fifty I'm Steve. Rivera You're Dave. Silver give me a, Shout, dave BECAUSE i can't hear.
Speaker 4: Anything hello, there, one two Three HERE i am across from. You can you hear me?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 2: NO i can just hear you in here. Myself, yeah, okay, good you can hear? Me, Yes, okay that's all that. Matters you guys want to. Call we have very little. Time we have about six seven. Minutes we spent about twenty minutes With Clark. CHRIS i mean he can tell, story, right he as we and he As he just said he had a stroke In. September he's coming through with it, now still to get in therapy and lots of. Therapy they had a good story on him online on His facebook, page just you know what happened with?
Speaker 4: Him, yeah good to see the recovery is. Continuing, yeah, yeah sixty seven and his memory is still very sharp, too which is cool, because like he, said maybe one of the worst things is to lose all the stories that he's had with baseball with the u of a growing up. Here you, know all the success he's had with his players that he, scouted and he's he's a legend in that business from you know.
Speaker 3: There he brought in so many. Superstars, yeah well you get Pool holes and you get Loft. In that's a good. Start yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah what a job to doing, that going around looking at kids and seeing who's good who's.
Speaker 4: NOT i, mean the Whole Kenny lofton story is like something out of a.
Speaker 3: Movie.
Speaker 7: Too.
Speaker 2: Well we talked about that, Yesterday, dave BECAUSE i had him on the. SHOW i, said have you ever thought about writing a? Book and he, says, yes BUT i really haven't found. Anybody AND i, said, hello, hello because he. Is AND i said this directly on the, air that it's like an after school.
Speaker 3: Special he was this dude From.
Speaker 2: Chicago he didn't have, much he admitted, that he, said didn't have. Much came. Here he couldn't play. Baseball you don't why it's not that he could play. Baseball he didn't want to play. Baseball you want to play. Basketball do you know?
Speaker 4: Why, no baseball did not for full, scholarships so he needed a full scholarship to go to college and lo and, Behold loot found him and he came.
Speaker 3: Here how Did lot even find?
Speaker 4: Him, Yeah i'm, Sure i'm SURE i wrote that story back in the day and you probably told. It some coach you, know tipped him off and, SAID i get this guy who Can but then you, know the whole going to. BASEBALL i can just see it as a. Movie you, know, Here, hey let's get him to come you know, what you, know probably some hesitation, there and, sure, hey can we get the field for an afternoon so we can you, know we can put this guy out there and show see what he can. Do, yeah it had to have, BEEN i don't, know an amazing. Moment i'm Glad clark could sort of tell that. Story, yeah and then then you know his his backstory, too with playing For kendle and playing With francona and playing with you know those kind of.
Speaker 3: GUYS i just you Knew kendall party fairly.
Speaker 2: WELL i didn't know him all that, well GIVEN i didn't cover baseball that much back WHEN i started, here but it's obvious that he could evaluate.
Speaker 3: Talent.
Speaker 2: One he probably like lout where he bought in the guys who had backgrounds that were very good and then turned him into even better.
Speaker 4: PLAY i mean, again the luck of the draw for me getting here WHEN i. Did it was kind of in between those. Championships they had won one in eighty they were. GOOD i get here eighty three and three years Later i'm going To. Omaha SO i was kind of in the middle of, that and again as a reporter and seeing THE ufa program starting to really grow in those, years those mid eighties years when lut was going And kindle and Can dre was coming, in it was just amazing to.
Speaker 2: See, YEAH i found my. SOLUTION i had a BUTTON i needed to push. It, yeah, yeah, no. No and in, FACT i had talked To jeffries, Yesterday Brian. Jeffries everybody knows, that AND i, said you know what you have at the end of the, day you have a pretty darn good. Job and he's good at it, obviously but here he. Is he gets to talk to three good dudes a lot of the. Time THREE i mean not painting AN, x you, know and we know who those people are because we've talked to, them, Right But brennan just needs to. Win pretty good, dude just a normal, dude, right, yeah, tummy just a normal. Dude, hey you want to have a? Beer you What i'm, Saying just one of those. Dudes and Now, Chip so you know this is your. Job what a great. Job and, YEAH i mean we're.
Speaker 4: LUCKY i, MEAN i think the media guys here in town are lucky to have those kind of guys to deal. With and let me tell you vice, versa because this town is a very, friendly media friendly.
Speaker 2: Town they're not, lurking they're not trying to get. You you know What i'm. Saying it's not a you, know he said, this look at, this do. This, no it's it's a mutual type of an affection type of.
Speaker 4: Thing, well it's not like we're a big giant city with you, know five, newspapers everyone trying to get a different, angle, right and even that's going away in sure most cases. Too but you, Know phoenix doesn't even have much. Media, NO i don't think for a major league. City so, yeah we've been we've been pretty pretty, good pretty good as far as reporters.
Speaker 3: GO i think through the, years at least that was my. Style.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no and, FAIR i mean, Fair, YEAH i mean just tell the. Story, YEAH i mean if there's something that. Bad it's you, know it's it was unfortunate when there was you, know it's sort of breaking news they have to get to but usually that didn't.
Speaker 3: Happen, yeah and then that you're looking for, it it just. Happened.
Speaker 2: No, yeah so that's just Too, son AND i think it's almost every college town where the locals are trying to hope you do well so they get to go to the final, four they go get to do these, things, RIGHT.
Speaker 3: I mean that was kind Of.
Speaker 4: Again what what kept me, HERE i think for a long time was knowing that the tournament was coming Every march pretty, much and then you got all these little added on things, softball softball going to The World, series or baseball every you, know five, years it seems like they're going To. Omaha so there was always that to look for, it and football every now and again doing. Something there was a long stretch of bowl games. Too we were you, know we had pretty decent. Teams sure Not Rose, bulls but we were going somewhere In, december, right, Right.
Speaker 3: So you know and son. Two son's pretty good place to raise.
Speaker 2: Kids, yeah, yeah and you AND i lived in the same, area so there's That, okay, great thanks for coming, In. Dave, sure we're about a minute. Out we'll see. Tomorrow, yeah but we're trying to we're talking now to each other who we can get for, tomorrow AND i think we have our. Lineup we just got to say who they'll. Be once tonight, happens they can confirm more, baseball that's for.
Speaker 4: Sure, yeah it would be good big day tomorrow with THE Us. Open we've got the basketball. Tonight there's a lot a lot going, on just to kind, of, yeah keep tabs.
Speaker 2: On, Yeah i'm still trying to get the new women's basketball, Coach Coach. Burke maybe we get her tomorrow, too or Maybe. Friday so there's. That trying to Get desiree as, well But DESRE'S i think it's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be no. Omaha.
Speaker 2: Yeah so everyone's, busy, right everyone's, busy.
Speaker 3: And It's june the. Summer it's. Great so we'll see. You, no it's.
Speaker 2: Good is great because you have you know, Me i'm trying to track down people.
Speaker 3: To get on the.
Speaker 2: Show and this week has been a very good, day very good. Week the last two days have been very. Fun, okay thank, You, dave and thanks everybody for. Listening if you didn't catch or you want to hear, again check out the podcast from yesterday and.
Speaker 3: Today Take care