Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to a brand new episode of Second Take Cinema, coming at you from the Glorious Imparlor Film's headquarters in sunny South End on Sea. I'm your host, Jamie Evans, joined as always by mister Rory Joscelyn.
Speaker 2: The notes cool cool.
Speaker 1: That's not, No, it's not And this is Listener Request Month on Second Take Cinema. To be honest, I've not actually worked out yet either. It will actually last within one month, so basically doing five weeks, okay, five weeks of listener requests, that's right. We went on our Discord and our Patreon and we asked people to submit requests of films they wanted us to cover here on Second Take Cinema, and we picked the five best one. So today's request is the two thousand and five superhero movie Batman Begins. And that request came to us from Craig from Leicester, from Leicestershire, and he wrote into us to say, Hi, guys, I'd like to request Batman Begins for Listener Request Month.
Speaker 2: I know you already covered.
Speaker 1: The Dark Knight see previous episode, and I liked that episode, but I've always thought Batman Begins is the best film in Nolan's trilogy. I think it feels more accurate to Batman the comic book character, and is a more solid story. The Dark Knight feels unfocused with the whole two faced thing at the end. Also, this batsuit is better, right. We'd love to hear you guys discuss it. Cheers Craig. Well, Craig, We're happy to grant your wish. We're gonna do a whole episode talking about Batman Begins. So, just to sum up, Batman Begins is a two thousand and five superhero movie. Is directed by Christopher Nolan, who co wrote the screenplay with David S.
Speaker 2: Goyer.
Speaker 1: The film stars Christian Bale, Michael kainleam Nie and Katie Holmes, Gary Oldman, Killian Murphy, Tom Wilkinson, Rutger Hower, Ken Waternobby, and Morgan Freeman. It was made for a budget of one hundred and fifty million dollars and it grossed three hundred and seventy five point four million dollar at the box office. On Rotten, Tomatow's Batman Begins has an eighty five percent approval rating, with the site's critical consensus reading brooding and dark, but also exciting and smart. Batman Begins is a film that understands the essence of one of the definitive superheroes. James barrard and Elli applauded Nolan and Goya's work in creating more understanding into who Batman is and what motivates him, something Barrardinelli felt Tim Burton's film had lacked. At the same time, Barardinelli felt the romantic aspect between Bail and Holmes did not work because the actors lacked chemistry Christopher Reeve and Margo Kidder in Superman, or Toby Maguire and kirst And Dunced in Spider Man shared in their respective roles oh Get dunked on. According to Total Film, Nolan manages to create such strong characters and story that the third act action sequence cannot compare to the frisson of two people talking and Katie Holmes and Christian Bale's romantic subplot as a spark refreshingly free of Peter Parker Mary Jane's style. Why so two completely opposing opinions.
Speaker 2: Refreshingly free of any chemistry as well.
Speaker 1: The Los Angeles Times as Kenneth Turan, who felt the film began slowly stated that the story, psychology, and reality, not special effects, assisted the darkness behind Batman's arsenal. He noted that Nissan and Holmes, unlike Bale's ability to feel his role in his Bones, do not appear to fit their respective characters in being both comic book archetypes and real people. You mean to tell me Liam Neeson doesn't fit a character called ras Al Gore. Yeah, I'd never have imagined that.
Speaker 2: Ever. Well, it's in his nature, you know, he sees something he likes and it's taken. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The New Yorkers David Denby did not share Barardinellie in Turan's opinion. He was unimpressed with the film when comparing it to the two Tim Burton films, and that Christian Bale's presence was hindered by the dull, earnestness of the screenplay, the final climax was cheesy and unexciting, and that Nolan had resorted to imitating the fakery by other filmmakers when filming action sequencers and I think like the quick cutting and stuff like that to hide the stunts. Michael Wilmington of the Chicago Tribune believe Nolan and Goya managed to comfortably mix the tormented drama and revenge motifs with lighthearted gags and comic book illusions, and that Nolan takes the series out of the slam bang Hollywood joke fests the franchise had drifted into. Comic book scribe and editor Dennis O'Neil stated that he thought the filmmakers really understood the character they were translating, citing this film as the best of the live action Batman films. In contrast, J R. Jones from The Chicago Reader criticized the script and Nolan and David Goyer for not living up to the hype about exploring Batman's damaged psyche.
Speaker 2: To be fair like that sounds a little bit overblown, like not living up to the hype maybe that some fans had. But after Batman and Robin, there really wasn't that much hype.
Speaker 1: No, I remember Batman Beginnings kind of coming and go. I don't remember there being any hype until Dark Knight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Batman Begins did really well. But on the lead up to Batman Begins, I don't I was an adult already by that point, and I do not recall people clamoring for it it's always been shit because Batman and Robin had damaged its reputation so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Roger Ebert, we'd love to quote rogerie but on the show. Roger Ebert, who gave mixed reviews to the previous films and claimed in his review for Batman Returns that he did not believe Noir worked in superhero films, wrote, this was the Batman movie I've been waiting for. More correctly, this is the movie I did not realize I was waiting for. Giving it four out of four stars. He commended the realistic portrayals of the Batman arsenal, the batsuit, bat Cave, tombla, and the bat signal, as well as the focus on the story and the character with less stress on high tech action.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, I think a lot of people had the same reaction, whether this was like the great Batman film or the great Batman reboot that nobody knew they wanted, and which is why. Then the Dark Knight also did a lot better, because a you're bringing back the Joker, which is going to make a Batman sell more, and also you had the Heath Ledger interpretation of it, which then was huge as well.
Speaker 1: And Lastly, director Tim Burton, who had directed the nineteen eighty nine Batman film and Batman Returns, felt Nolan captured the real spirit that these kind of movies are supposed to have nowadays. When I did Batman twenty years ago, in nineteen eighty eight or something, it was a different time in comic book movies. You couldn't go into that dark side of comics. Yet the last couple of years that has become acceptable, and Nolan certainly got more to the root of what the Batman.
Speaker 2: Comics are about.
Speaker 1: There were going a nice, nice bit of praise from the original Batman director. So, Rory, do you recall the first time you saw Batman begins?
Speaker 2: I don't think I saw this one at the cinema. I did The Dark Knight following it. I remember that one very vividly. I don't know if if I watched this one at the cinema, if I watched it when it first got home to DVD, but I recall watching it with my family and enjoying it. It was a very good film. I certainly for its time. There's certain things that have aged slightly badly, but for the most part, it still holds up and I remember enjoying it at the time and still enjoyed it when we watched it this time. So yeah, there's not a huge amount to say. My dad has told me that he thinks this is the best of Nolan's trilogy. Oh fantastic. Yeah, so there's but I don't agree. I'm firmly in the pocket of the Dung as the best one, and that's not been changed by this viewing. What I would say is, I think I know why my dad would prefer this one over The Dark Night. I think the reason my dad prefers this one, he says, it's because it feels more like a comic book than the sequels do, which I would agree with him on. And the other thing is my dad loves medieval movies, and specifically, and I trained in this as well, with sword fight and stuff like that. This has a lot of that, certainly at the beginning where he's training with raj al Ghoul, whereas the sequels don't really have much sword play. I think those two things combined are the reason my dad prefers this one, whereas I like the second one because it subverts the genre and that's gonna be something that's gonna be Essentially, that's gonna be if you like this film or over the second one, that's gonna be what you'll choose it on. Yeah. Do you want something that's very close, much more closer to the comics, you'll prefer this. Do you prefer something that subverts the genre, is a really fucking amazing crime story with Batman on top, then you'll prefer the second one. Right, But that that seemed to be the difference, at least between me and my dad. So, yeah, what about yourself?
Speaker 1: So I did see this trilogy in the wrong order. This was actually the last one in the trilogy I saw.
Speaker 2: Begins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I had no interest in seeing Batman Begins.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had been burned by Batman Forever and Batman and Robin, which I both hate, I think terrible. I am in the very weird camp where I enjoy Batman and Robin more than Batman Forever.
Speaker 2: Yes, they are both.
Speaker 1: They're both terrible, but Batman and Robin I at least find laughably terrible.
Speaker 2: I think that there's Jim Carrey in Batman Forever being full Jim Carrey. If you don't like Jim Carrey, you're basically you're with Tommy Tommy Lee Jones. Yeah, to sanction a buffoonery. Yeah. I can imagine if you ever got if you were there at the time and had a job with Jim Carrey, you would have been that guy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, So I actually ended up seeing Dark Knight by kind of accident. I had no interest in seeing.
Speaker 2: Dark Knight either. I was I was literally done with Batman. I'd like lost all interest in it.
Speaker 1: And then there was all the hype for the Dark Knight and I was like, oh, I'm sure it won't be that good, and literally it was one boring summer's day. My friends like to want to come to the cinema. What we're watching Dark Knight better than staying at home all day in it. So when saw The Dark Knight, loved it, went to the cinema to watch Dark Knight rises as well when it came out in twenty twelve, and then people yeah. And then it was in my last year at UNI, which was the following year twenty thirteen, I was making a superhero parody film and figured, hey, I should probably see more superhero films because I actually hadn't seen many up to that point. Is that the Crimson Avenger yeah, and I hadn't seen many up to that point. I had only seen Raymie spider Man trilogy, the Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher Batman's and the first the Richard Donner.
Speaker 2: Superman with Christopher Eve in it.
Speaker 1: Other than that, I don't think I had seen any superhero films. I hadn't seen any of the Avengers or anything. So I went on a binge watch of every superhero film I could lay my hands on, and let me tell you, that was a ranging quality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've got Electra on one end.
Speaker 1: Yes, I didn't watch Electra, but I think the worst one I ended up watching, well, I know, I know the worst one I ended up watching, which was Ryan Reynolds's Green Lantern, which is fucking dog shit. I also ended up watching the old Fantastic Four film with Jessic Crowber and Owen Grufford in it. Okay, and those films are terrible, But I weirdly.
Speaker 2: Have a bit of a soft spot for the first one. And it might be.
Speaker 1: It might be because somehow, at least until the end of this year, when this might change, it's somehow, however unlikely, This sounds is the best Dr Doom they've ever done, which is not saying it's good because it's not. But the Dodor Doom they did in fant four Stick was so bad right that the one from the Chris evans Owen Grufford Fantastic.
Speaker 2: Four looks better. Anyway, Batman mcginns was one of the ones I ended up watching. I have to say I was disappointed.
Speaker 1: And that's probably because I saw Dark Knight and dar Nut rise as first ye seeing.
Speaker 2: It start from this point and build.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're both bigger in scope, and as I think we talked about before we started recording, Nolan hasn't quite found the style he wants the trilogy to be in this one. This one does feel different from the other two. The other two feel like they go together. This one feels like it's a step removed. Yeah, the cinematography is a good cue for that.
Speaker 2: It still looks good. I'm not going to slag this film off for a cinemata. He actually looks very good. But the nighttime scenes aren't quite as contrasty. They're not quite as dark. They there's a whole bit where at night Batman stood on a wooden beam, looking down and chatting to Gordon and he's literally like lit up as if it was bright daylight, and it's meant to be the middle of the night and he's meant to be Batman, and Batman's costume in the bright daytime doesn't look great. So and it's not that it's a bad costume, it's just it's not that sort of a design, you know, it's something that works in the nighttime, And so there's that issue. Also, Gotham looks very different in this film. The second two films something else that I like about them, but other people might dislike about them. They look like ordinary cities, whereas in this one it's not quite the cheese and camp of the original Batman film, certainly not the Batman and Robin version, which has massive pseudo naked men, ripped at Las style dudes, is as statues and shit all around the place. But it's got a style to it that's slightly out of reality, including the big monoail, which becomes a big part of the story. Yes, now, a lot that's all cgi and that's a different thing. We'll discuss the cegy later. But the yeah that there is this This Gotham doesn't look like the other Gothams from the next two films. So is it's kind of like that jump you got between Batman for Batman Returns Batman Forever, or certainly if you were to jump from Batman Returns to Batman and Robin, Yeah, the style and tonal difference would be quite jarring. I now, it's funny.
Speaker 1: Craig mentioned in his letter that he found Dark Knight to be unfocused.
Speaker 2: I find this to be really unfocused. Right. Why is Scarecrow even in this film he's kind of a middleman for raj al Ghoulis. Yeah, and I know this, this is just disappeared off at one point and never comes. And this is purely my opinion.
Speaker 1: And I know a lot of comic book fans will disagree because ras Algall is actually a huge villain in the comics who's like really important and stuff. I'd work way way rather watch Scarecrow, and not just because is Killian Murphy. I know he's flavor of the month at the minute. I just think it's so much, so much versus scare Please please, you know, sue me. I want a little bit of super in my superhero film. I'm more interested in a guy who's got a toxin that can cause hallucinations and fear and shit than I am in Liam Neeson with a badly stuck on go tea, Oh the food Manchu doing martial arts. It's more interesting to me. And like I said, that's a personal taste thing. I know a lot of people would disagree. I wouldn't say that that makes it unfocused. I think the benefit that that ended up having, though it doesn't if you take this film in isolation it doesn't really work, is that it brought allowed for Killian Murphy to be kind of the recurring villain throughout the trilogy. He's the only villain who recurs throughout all three. But that being said, that's something that they can built into it later. It wasn't a planned thing, I don't think.
Speaker 2: And the way he goes he just gets sort of tasered once well for some reason riding a horse. Yeah, that's never explained because he's never shown riding horses at any other point now. And also the reason he's riding the horses because everyone else is going mad because they've sprayed the toxins in the air, but some reason it doesn't affect the horse. They never explain that, So it's not that it's unfocused. It just feels like there's bits of information missing.
Speaker 1: Well, it's just because I feel like there's like four villains in this movie, not all at the same level. So you've got the head of the mafia, which is Tom Wilkinson.
Speaker 2: Yes, Falcony he gets to.
Speaker 1: Basically there's a villain per act because you've got Tom Wilkinson's the villain in the first act. Then Scarecrows the main villain of the second act, and then ras Algall's there for the third act, and then you kind of just have because they I guess they decided, well, you know, not just batman, Bruce Wayne needs a villain as well. You've kind of got Roger Howard just pottering around and being like, hey, I'm a bad business man.
Speaker 2: Five thing, because you've also got the guy who was in Sons of Anarky who plays the cop opposite the cop. Yeah, so yeah, you've kind of got five villains. Though I don't think the corrupt cop or is it Earl the Rocker House characters. I don't know what the character's name wasn't I just see great hobo with a shotgun. Here he is. This is how he felt because he loses his job at the end of the film, and so that's how he becomes the hobo with a shotgun. But basically, I'm not sure if you would classify the the bent Cop and the Rotgahwer characters as villains quote unquote before Batman, because they're not super villains in the way that Batman would normally fight where a scarecrow raj al Ghoul definitely are, and Falcone isn't a super villain, but because he's Mafia, he definitely classifies the I don't know it, I see what you're saying. And none of them get tied off either, because other than raj al Ghoul, they're all alive. Now, Rokka, how are we know? Not that we knew this at this point, but Roka Howard's character becomes ineffectual essentially because he never returns the bank cop in this isn't seen in the sequels either. I'm not sure get two new bank cops in the next one. Yeah, I'm not sure if one of them is meant to be replacing him as the same role or if they're just different named characters. But to be fair, there are bank cops all over Gotham City, so it kind of makes sense the so those two are in effectual. We get the Scarecrow comeback, so he doesn't get dispatched. Earl doesn't come back, so he's an effectual and Large is the only one who gets dispatched. Yeah, so he gets killed, but that doesn't stop him.
Speaker 1: In the third one, crow barring his daughter in and being like surprise, Yeah, but that's not this film's first.
Speaker 2: That's not this film's fault. And to be that did ruin the third film because it should have been communism as the main.
Speaker 1: Sort of But my other thing that makes me feel like it's not focused very well.
Speaker 2: And I want to just be.
Speaker 1: Clear, I'm not trying. I'm not trying to imply that I didn't like this film. I don't think it's a terrible film by any stretch of the imagination. I just I'm explaining why I do not think it is the best one in the trilogy. The moral center of this film.
Speaker 2: Completely doesn't work in my opinion.
Speaker 1: The whole thing is Batman goes to train with the League of Shadows, and he does his training, and that's where we get all the backstory in the flashbacks and shit, and then at the end they're like, congratulations, you've passed your training. Your finally, your final task of initiation is you've got to kill this motherfucker.
Speaker 2: And Bruce it's.
Speaker 1: A guy who's he stole someone's farmland, and Bruce Way won't do it because this is where he sets up his rule of I will not kill people because that's not justice. And you get this nice little ethical conundrum where Ra's al Ghoul. Well, no, we don't know that le obese, and Isra's alcohol admitte At the minute, we think he's Henry Ducarte. He's sort of come the exact line. But it's something like criminals prey on the forgiveness of society and basically implying that you can't forgive them it doesn't matter what crime they've done, or crime needs to be treated with a firm slap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I don't know how they then classify themselves because they're as much as they might think they're doing the good work, they are murdering people. So technically, you know, if the rule is there is no soft spot in crime, they've got to kill themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got a bit as well. That was my other things from the comic program. I know, I'm going off topics slightly, and this is again from the comic, so but it makes me laugh. They go, yeah, this is a more realistic Batman for realistic take.
Speaker 2: Who are the villains?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's this ancient order that survived for thousands of years and we're behind the fall of Rome. I'm always a little bit like, right, okay, yeah, they did the Great Fire of London as well, right, Okay, they put the bibotic plague godship.
Speaker 2: Okay. But anyway, so.
Speaker 1: Batman comes up with his rule here, which is going to become the focus of the rest of this trilogy. You know, the Joker spends all of the second film trying to make Batman break the one rule. Except that kind of means nothing because Batman breaks that rule constantly. Literally, thirty seconds after making the rule, he blows up a building, yeah, full full of people, And I'm sorry, and you know, we can have an ethical discussion about this, which is great.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I don't buy into his wishy washy thing at the end where he's like, well, no, I'm not going to kill you, Raza Gore, but I don't have to save you on this train that I've broken the brakes on and bombed the track out, so you'll definitely die.
Speaker 2: So it's not me murdering you. Yeah, this is your fault. You did this, except that I did everything to stop you from.
Speaker 1: The implication being if someone got in their car and I went and like blew out, so they were crossing the q E two bridge and I blew the q E two bridge, at I ain't killed anyone. It's all the people's fault for getting in their cars.
Speaker 2: That actually might not be an inconsistency because in this film before the before Razugle is even back while he's doing his batmanning, there's bits where he's in the tumbline, for like he runs over the front and the side of cop cars, crushing them, and we see the inside afterwards where the cop who clearly would be dead is sort of sort of leaned over his partners partner off at the time. Yeah, and he's just like, oh my god, what's that. You're like his mouse? Yeah, and you're just like So he doesn't care if someone dies by accident while he's doing his batmanning. That doesn't break his rule. He's real wishy washy. Recklessness doesn't count. But here's the thing where it does break it. Okay, even if recklessness didn't count. He doesn't kill razal Gare via recklessness. It's by choice.
Speaker 1: It made me very glad that I actually saw Dark Knight first, because I actually think if you watch all three in order, Dark Knight loses a little bit of impact because of this.
Speaker 2: Why because he's already broken.
Speaker 1: The Joker is acting like it would be this monumental thing for Batman to break his rule. But he's broken it fifty fucking times. He's got he's got a death list way longer than the Jokers. Joker kills like six people in that movie, the peas he shoots at the beginning, and the guy who puts the phone bombing and blows them, and he kills Rachel Dawes, don't he Yeah, so he kills like seven people and burns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't kill him though it doesn't kill him, but burns. If we're doing technicalities, I don't have to say. I don't have to, doesn't he imagine gets that's a great mone That's a fucking great moment. To be fair, none of the villains in there have a moment like that. There's some good moments for the villains, but there's nothing that good the Joker had not only that moment as well. There's where the second one I think does feel more focused is around its villains, because it still has Scarecrow momentarily, and it still has the Falcone family momentarily, but we know it's about the Joker. The Joker is not secondhanded at any point during the movie. And you get, as I say, those moments like it, how about a magic trick with a pencil. You also get the bit where he goes we can have tryouts, and you also have the amazing bit where they where they've got him. He's arrested, he's in the prison, he's in the jail cell because being interrogated and Batman comes in. Batman's got all the power and loses it all immediately. Yeah, And like there's there's never a point despite the amount of power that he has, there's never a point where raz Al Ghoul ever, actually he really gets Bruce Wayne or Batman on the back foot. The one time he does is when he turns up a Wayne manner and blows it up. But even then it doesn't feel the same. There's never that gravitas to the script that really you know where you're like, oh, fuck you, Ras, you know, and it clearly Ras is an evil bastard because he's trying to make everyone go dou lally. Razogul's plan also doesn't work because his whole thing is well, we've got to you know, wash away this in and part of that is no matter what your crime, even if you you're a pickpocket, you deserve death or some sort of suffering because you have committed a crime, and committing any crime is bad. But his plan will kill and make children kill because it's gonna drive everyone nuts. So you're gonna get innocence, committing suicide, getting murdered, maybe turning murderous because you've made them all go mental. And you're like, well, that seems to go against your whole ethical year.
Speaker 1: It's one of the things that you sit there the whole time and they're going, yes, every time a city becomes too evil. He literally implies that every time a city gets out of control and too evil, they go and wipe it off the face of the earth.
Speaker 2: Cool. Don't remember you being in Berlin in nineteen thirty nine. We let that one go. We were a bit late to the party. We're all a bit drunk. Yeah, I know what you mean that they're not. I'm sorry, I know.
Speaker 1: And again I know the comic bros Might come for me, but is just not as iconic as the Joker, Like he literally isn't because the Joker is Batman's arching nemesis. But he doesn't even have the problem with ras our Gaul being a quote unquote normal guy. There's none of the iconography. And he's not even dressed like he is in the comics because the way he's dressed in the comics would be culturally appropriationist, because he wears like Asian style robes that.
Speaker 2: Would have worked for the rajah Ghoul that if you mckn watton, Yeah, yeah, and I think that's Dave liam Neeson play it for some reason. Yeah see, there was no reason they couldn't have had Ken Watton arbo.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And because they're doing the realistic thing, they've taken away the defining trait of ras al.
Speaker 2: Gaul, which is he can't die, right. Ras Al Gall.
Speaker 1: In the comics has these things called Leviathan Paul, not Leviathan Lazarus Pitts, right, and basically every time he dies, he just gets reborn again. Oh, okay, but you can't do that in the Noble and trilogy. I honestly think ras Al Gare was a really poor choice of villain, and I always have. I've always thought that the biggest failing of Batman Begins is the choice of ras Al Gaull.
Speaker 2: As the villain. Yeah, you know, what they should have done, what they should have done. And I noticed easy to say this, And also there'll be people going, how do you question Christopher Nolan? But the truth of the matter is it should have started off how it started. He's with ras alh Gaull, he's getting trained. We get the whole bit. He sets the thing on fire shore it breaks his one rule straight away, but let's pretend he didn't and escapes, right. The reason that ras Algall comes up with the plan to attack Gotham at that point is because it's like, well, we've got Bruce Wayne. It's the easy way in, so we can punish that group or that nation of people easily because we've got Bruce Wayne to help us get in. When Bruce Wayne then burns the shit down and runs away, we then don't come back to ras Al Gaull until a later film. You could have built up. Instead of Tarli Algall, you could have had Ra's al Gall helping Bayne with his communist takeover, because that's how the League of Shadows are going to try and take over Gotham. That might have worked better than shoehorning Tarlier Algall from the but fuck nowhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other thing you could do as well is you could with you with your final act, because he becomes essentially a nahing henchman for the entire trilogy after this. You could have made Scarecrow the main villain who's trying to screw over Gotham, because it makes sense. He's a bit nuts, So him coming up with the nutty plan to make everyone nuts because then he can inter them all and continue his experiment, I do makes more sense. Yeah, I do think Scarecrow should have been the main villain.
Speaker 1: And if you're insistent on having multiple comic book villains in it, and you're like, now, I get no one wants, you still would have.
Speaker 2: Done because you would have introduced with ras el Ghuler. Anyway, you would have still had Scarecrow, and you'd still have had Falcone, So you've still got to be fair. I'd rather never havel in it.
Speaker 1: Personally, I always you need the training bit, I know, but I've and this is purely I'm going to sound that such a wok kant. I've always found it a little cultural appropriation e the idea that this Asian legion of liners is what trains Batman. I've always been a bit like, oh so the rich white billionaire goes there and larns.
Speaker 2: All their tricks.
Speaker 1: And I think the thing that it isn't helped because of Liam Neeson. If you're still with ken Wattaobby, it wouldn't feel quite so bad.
Speaker 2: I think that's the thing is that. I think it's the choices that are made. The fact that ken Wotton Arby isn't really raj al Ghul is just a figurehead that is, you know, put in place to detract from Liam Neeson. That doesn't help. The other thing that doesn't help is that the League of Shadows seems to be a bunch of people of all different ethnicities. Because the what you could have played is that he's paid his way in to being in the League of Shadows because he thinks it will get him where he wants to be. The League of Shadows don't really want him, but they take him on because they're like, well, with this money, we can do what the fuck we want, you know what I mean. It's like, then that way you can you can have your kind of appropriation in a way, but you can have your cake and eat it, because it's like, well, this Asian group of ninja's I've gone right, will take the money, will train this one guy, and then he can fuck off because he's not really gonna be he's not really one of us. And then you bring what an arby back for the third one. Yeah, it's that. I mean again, always easy to say in hindsight because at this point they didn't have a second and a third film plotted out, no, allegedly. I do find it really weird when after we made the second one, at least he was like, yeah, we had no plans to do a third. I'm like, I don't really believe it, because we all know that realistically, if you've done a third, the Joker would have been in it, and that had to get changed because of the death of eath Legend. Yeah, so I don't never I never know how much stock to put into that. I can understand if you just do it as a one off but no one ever does adeology. No, so not not really. No, the closest you got was Killed Bill, and that was only one film. That's one film. It certainly is going to be now where they're rereleasing it. But yeah, that's one film where someone overindulged himself and made it too long. So that's not the same.
Speaker 1: But let me say some good things about that Man begins something I've been quite negative so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's we're being a bit unjust because it's actually not a bad film.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's not a bad thing. And I also must say it's not one.
Speaker 2: It's not one I ever rushed to rewatch. You know, it's not on heavy rotation and Dark Nighties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if I was like ranking Batman movies, this one probably sits like around the middle for me. Yeah, I think definitely Dark Knight and Dark Night Rise as I prefer to this one, even with the flow. Dark Night Rises is a very flawed film. There are some ridiculous moments in Dark Knight Rises.
Speaker 2: It has more flaws than this film, but it also has a lot more benefit higher highs but lower lowers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I prefer the to Tim Burton ones.
Speaker 2: To this one as well. Yeah, Batman and Batman Returns. I find myself going back to Batman Forever more than this one. Yeah, and it's not because Batman Forever is a better film. It's not, but it's kind of for me a bit more enjoyable. Yeah, this one, this feels a little it's funny.
Speaker 1: There's a line in it where Scarecrow says to Batman, you seem like a man who takes himself too seriously well dressed is inear But that's kind of what this film feels like. Sometimes there's some bit it's a bit like, okay, guys, come on you. I know you're trying to do a realistic on but you're still doing a fucking superhero film at the end of the day. Is a man dressed? Is a fucking bat Have some fun with it? Yeah, I think, which I think they do in Dark Night and Dark Night Risers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the thing as well. Yeah, because Batman is called out by the Joker and by Baying quite frequently.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I always remember the bit in Dark Night Risers when Catwoman disappears on him and he goes, So.
Speaker 2: That's what that's like. Yeah. Yeah, here's the other thing as well. And again, there was no way to know when they made this film, so it's not a floor of the film itself. But whenever I rewatch Dark Knight, and I frequently rewatch it without watching this one, I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything. No, I never rewatched this one, to be honest. If I ever rewatch, I'd just do Dark Night and Dark Night Rise. The reality is, if you look at the first Batman film, but Tim Burton, that didn't really a build up either. You don't really seem trained to become Batman. No, he's already back.
Speaker 1: Literally, he says I'm Batman in the first two minutes of the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah so, and it's not like we do get flashbacks, because we get the flashbacks to his parents murder, but it's not like the whole thing of right now, how did he become Batman? How did he grow from this boy into the man? Like? Who cares? He's he was that boy, he's now this man? What's the story now he's this man? And yeah, so you just huluop hlop, you polvo over the plot thread. And this film feels a bit erroneous or not erroneous. This film feels a bit unnecessary because of that, But for what it is, I really like how the plot escalates. I like that we see Bruce Manner. I'm a bit disappointed actually we don't see more of Bruce Manner in the sequels, Bruce Banner in it. I'm thinking of Bruce Banner and I'm saying, but it's Bruce Manner. But it's Bruce is way Jesus Christ Rory. My brain is not braining melting. But no.
Speaker 1: So things I did like about this film though, There is some really good cinematography in it. I really like the even though it's a little bit cheesy. The shot where all the bats come in is really cool and you get to see him as Batman just surrounded by bats. I was a bit like, that's kind of cool. It's like iconography wise, it's quite cool. Yes, the first bit where he's when he first becomes Batman and he's taking out the guys at the shipping yard. I really like the way they do it like a horror movie, where like one of them looks up at season and they're going like, oh my god, oh my god, and then the other one looks up and that's when you see Batman perched there and he just drops down.
Speaker 2: I liked that. I do agree.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's much chemistry between him and Katie Holmes, but I'll be honest, I didn't think there was much chemistry between him and Maggie gill and Hall in the sequel either.
Speaker 2: No, but there's a lot less opportunity for them in this one. They're really trying to build that Peter Parker and so name Milton Keynes romance Mary Jane. That's it's name of drug and because it's weird in it, Mary Jane. Yeah, they're really trying to build that Peter Parker Mary Jane romance, but weirdly so just for my Christian Bale for a minute. Then, and he's lack of chemistry.
Speaker 1: I know there's a thing on the internet at the minute where a lot of people claim that bail. There's some retroactive stuff where people are saying Bale's not actually that good, right, the thing is in a weird way. I think his lack of chemistry. I'm not saying that this was done on purpose. It might just be one of those happy accident things, but I kind of think he's lack of chemistry with the with the leading ladies in these movies helps make me believe he's Batman more.
Speaker 2: Because it's, oh, yeah, this is a guy who is really damaged and doesn't know how to relate to people. Yeah. Yeah, because which for why he would dresses a bat and go beat people up. Yeah, he's a batman. Yeah. It also aids his Bruce Wayne persona because when he's going out and he's like in this film, he brings two hot girls to some sort of restaurant and then he had they start stripping off and going into the swimming pool, which isn't allowed, and so he joins them well while he's having fun and you know, pissing about the reality is that's an act he's put in on to cover up and pretend that Bruce Wayne isn't Batman. He's like, you know, just some twat spending all his money. But the detachment works for that as well, so because you wouldn't be a deeply emotional person necessarily to do that. And it also aids the scene where, in order to save everyone before the manner blows up, he basically insults them all. Yeah, you know, he goes thanksful, Yeah, drink my wine. There's always three loaders when you're rich, piss off basically and everyone leaves. It kind of aids that because there is that distance that people will allow rich people to have in the hopes as clingers on basically to try and basically go, oh, well maybe they'll favor me, and you know they'll do me favors or will give me mine. Well, it's funny, you know.
Speaker 1: On letterboxed loads of people are cracking jokes about Patrick Bateman, Yes, which obviously famously is a role that Christian Bale played in American Psycho. But I do get it, like there is a little bit of that Patrick Bateman detachment when he's Bruce Wayne that I think works yeah for the role. So one of the reviews we read said that the ending action sequence on the monorail doesn't hold up.
Speaker 2: What do you think about that? I agree, the CGI in general in this film doesn't really hold up, thankfully, it doesn't have a lot of it, but the monorail is entirely CGI, so when you're watching that sequence, it doesn't really hold up the whole thing. I like the fight on the train between ros al Ghul and Batman. I think that works quite well. A little less quick cutting would be better, but it's quite entire a tight en closed space, so maybe there was limitations with that, at least in terms of staging, because obviously it's not a real location, so they could pull the wall away. The I didn't feel like the stakes were really there. No, it didn't feel like you need a ticking clock, and we technically had one, but we were never told the time on the clock because the clock was how long it would take for the train to get to the main station, so that the microwave emitter could vaporize all the water and make every them go great also, but they never went that's going to be there in two minutes.
Speaker 1: On the microwave radiator thing and it evaporates all the water underground on it. Yeah, we did it, notaged to evaporate all the people near it, because people are seventy five percent water. Shouldn't everyone be like Fano snapped out of.
Speaker 2: Existence or the reality is should have shrivel like raisins instantly, just like so anyone in the main blast area would be it wouldn't have an explosion per se, but like you know what I mean, anyone in the immediate area would most likely be vaporized in some way because it would affect the water within you, I would have thought, but they'd be desiccated. Yeah. Well yeah, so the thing is outside of the entire area, Maybe not, because the idea is that it raises the water there, the toxins go in and then it's spread in the air.
Speaker 1: But when they are on this literally rather than all of his henchmen are literally stood right next to it when they turn it on, and all they do is put little.
Speaker 2: Gas masks on. I don't think it started doing the main thing yet. It doesn't do that until it turns it on and all the steam grates suddenly explode. Oh I forgot about that, don't they? And I remember watching that and just going shouldn't they all die?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I can't imagine. Just yeah, it wouldn't do any favors, to be fair. This is something that was also wrong with the Dark Knight Rises, so with this one. The main issue with a microwave is that it requires a huge amount of energy. There's a weapon called a maser, which we actually have we've used. It utilizes frequencyed so it was microwave waves, but it now utilizes sort of sound and lasers. But it's still called a maser, and to fire one of those only once, maybe a few times, requires the amount of power you would normally use to power a city for a week. Right, So this box they're traveling around has to have all the emitter capability in it, plus the battery power because it doesn't plug into anything, so it has to have the battery power to emit that level of power.
Speaker 1: Well, that's my other plot hole, because I'm fairly certain and I might have misheard a fully old hands on.
Speaker 2: The same thing in rises, because the idea in rises is that there's going to be they've built a nuclear fusion reactor that they're going to drive to a main location and detonate. But and that would I think I think that was going to toxify water. But if nothing else, just detonate. Batmanaster used the scarub thing to fly out to sea. But that also doesn't work because nuclear fusion reactors don't explode nuclear feu. We don't have nuclear fusion. No, we have nuclear fission, which does explode. We have nuclear fusion if it wants the mix is wrong or it's exposed to air. Basically, that would mean that there's not enough containment to keep essentially the power of a sun going, because you'd yeah, well, because all the hydrogen would leak. Yeah, you need hydrogen highly condensed. That's how the sun operates. It's just a rock covered in hydrogen and like. So if you can't keep that contained enough with enough pressure, it's not gonna work. So it wouldn't once it detonates. It literally got oh well, that was my other thing.
Speaker 1: So and again I might have this wrong because I did have a bit of a sugar crash while watching this film because I hate an easter egg. I am fairly certain they said that the microwave emitted is nuclear powered. It has a reactor in it, in which, first of all, getting a nuclear reactor that small whatever our bikes, it's.
Speaker 2: A super film.
Speaker 1: But when he crashes the train, should that not explode and he radiate the narrows?
Speaker 2: Yep? And you know it can't be fusion because they say that nuclear fusions first rises, unless this is another one, because it actually looks quite similar, So maybe it's another one that's fusion based. But again, if you've solved nuclear fusion, you're a multi billionaire and you never need to power anything ever. Again, so.
Speaker 1: What about the batsuit because Craig said he thought this was the better batsuit, and I have seen that written online a few times as well, people saying this is a better batsuit than the one that is in a lot of people think the one in the next two films looks a bit too much like a bit too much like paintball gear.
Speaker 2: So I prefer the one that follows this one because it looks much more practical, and it is a lot more practical. However, I will admit the one in this film fits the comic book persona of Batman more so. Again, if you're after something more realistic, then the following suit is better, But if you're after something that's more comic book accurate, this is the one to go with. To be fair, this does feature in Dark Knight. Yeah, the first action sequences in this suit, and then he asks Alfred to develop him a better one. So it's not it's not left here, but it kind of. Yeah, it doesn't have any the next one.
Speaker 1: I do like the next one, but I think it looks a little over designed. Okay, this one is much more simple, like I said, so it feels a lot more comic act even though it's the comic he wears actual span Dex because you know, it's a comic book from the nineteen.
Speaker 2: Forties, and was the obsession with spandex man like with the colored pants on the outside. At what point that was? Because it was based on strong men, wonn't it. I have no idea how strong men used to do that. Yeah, yeah, strong men in pants with rippling muscles, and they're, well, let's do a suit that's highly colored less. I think I think it was based on wrestler types. Well that it's the same sort of thing, because at the time they were very similar. But yeah, wrestlers still wear that. Fucking look at my prays? Can I take something OUSEI I don't like in this whole trilogy.
Speaker 1: I think we might have talked about this in The Dark Knight, So I apologize I'm repeating. I I low key don't like the batmobile in this trilogy.
Speaker 2: But the top Tumbler, I don't mind it. It's not as iconic. I don't know, it's more practical. Yeah, I think it has become iconic, actually, but because people still refer to it. But I know what you mean, Like the original Tim Burton Batmobile when it looked like a. I guess it looked more like a high speed car, whereas this doesn't look like a car. It is a military tank. Yeah, it's a converted tank.
Speaker 1: After it runs over the cops that you were talking about. When he calls it in, she goes, we've got a black tang.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And to be honest, the something I liked about the trilogy actually is in the Dark Night, the Tumbler becomes a bit of a focus for a short bit because you get the guy at Wayne Enterprises who goes, why is He sees the batmobile, finds the plans for it in Wayne Enterprises, and then tries to blackmail Lucius Fox with it. So actually they do use the fact that it looks different. I think it is still iconic in that sense. But yeah, I know what you mean if you if you're picking a flavor of batmobile, I personally wouldn't go with one that looks like a military vehicle. But I can understand from a practicality standpoint it is the better design, but it's just not what i'd expect from a superhero. The eighty nine Batmobile I had as a toy as a kid. It looks cool all the time.
Speaker 1: If I was a kid when this one came out, I couldn't imagine wanting that toy.
Speaker 2: No, And also because of the design of it, I can imagine that it's a much more breakable toy because it like the way that the wheels are situated in the gaps in between the main chassis, I can imagine that toy is actually not particularly sturdy, Whereas I know, you've got the fins that could snap off on the eighty nine to one, but in general, it's still a car. So it's got the ridiculously long nose as it. Oh yeah, yeah, penis extensions, that's what it is. It's like the Peter Perfect car from Wacky Races, So badman, are you only like one inch last? No? No, look at look at my car.
Speaker 1: This car is ninety percent bonnet and only the actual car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like you'd imagine with an end with a bonnet that long, it must have a massive engine. But realistically, if you if you had an engine that huge, you wouldn't want it to be that long. Like the amount of weight that must add for no reason, unless that's storage space. You could just put his bags over night bags. Yeah. Robbin was in those films but he was still in the car. Yeah, stay in the car. Yeah, it's the car, right, Dick the car. Anything else to say about Batman mcginnss Not really. I thought it was a good film. It's you know, as I've said before, you pick your flavor. If you like more realistic, you don't need to watch this one. You can start with Batman. Sorry, you can start with Dark Knight Rises. You can start with the Dark Knight and watch Dark Knight Rises and enjoy that. But if you want to see something within that framework that's a little close to the comics, and this is a good one to watch, and if you prefer things that are close to the comics, and this is probably the best of the trilogy for you. But personally, I'm a Dark Knight man.
Speaker 1: And probably the majority of people are except for Crank here, Crag. So well done, Craig Crag.
Speaker 2: I hope you.
Speaker 1: Enjoyed listening to us talk about Batman McGinn's. Thank you so much for writing Thank you so much for writing in and requesting that we cover it. We will be back next week with another listener request. In the meantime, you can find us on social media. We are on Facebook at the Impala Revolution. We are on Twitter or x as at the Implor Films, and I am on Jamie Underscore, Evans Underscore Imparlor Films on Instagram. Thank you so much for listening, and we'll be back next week with more Second Take Cinema