Speaker 1: There's a guy on the tiki talkie and he does this bit about movies that you think are real but they are not, all right, And he did one about a movie we all love. Okay, so I'm gonna play it and we can just talk about it as as he's going through it. It's gonna hurt some people's feelings.
Speaker 2: It's almost completely start over here, back up, What based on a true story is almost completely made up. This is your reminder that the real Rudy is an asshole and this movie is full of crap. Already made a video about this, but it bears repeating that. Literally everyone who played with the real Rudy agrees that he was an insufferable try not only constantly risk injury to himself, but was so reckless that he actually put other players in danger. They'd apparently be like walking through offensive sets like hey, we're going ten percent here, and he would just come at people at one hundred percent and tackle unprepared players.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine. I've been on football teams where you do walk through is and there isn't really any contact, and some piece of shit runs at you, yeah and tackles you like you would get beat up I would think you would get beat up for sure if that happens.
Speaker 3: You can't do that because it's rudy man. Come on, Yeah, no, he's not a good dude.
Speaker 1: But the movie portrays the exact opposite of that thing, and a lot of people hold this movie in high regard, high regard. He is a model. Hey done.
Speaker 2: Carried him off the field as a joke, because according to Joe Montana, who was on that team, he was such a joke to the football program that they like condescendingly carried him off the field.
Speaker 1: Also care like he did. They hear he is being a dick and they're like, yay, you right, They're like, no, get the hell off of my field. And how how many times have we seen this movie that we never have talked about nor has it been pointed out that Joe Montana was on the team. Yeah, I know that because I think that's a pretty viable piece of information.
Speaker 4: Yeah, makes it a little bit more serious.
Speaker 1: Right, And you go, wow, I mean Joe Montana was on the team.
Speaker 2: Right, there's more so the jersey scene never happened. Actually, Coach Dan Devine's idea to have members of the practice squad dress for that last game.
Speaker 1: It was it was the coach's idea of the whole time, and not just Rudy. Everyone right, Yeah, that's funny. That's a big part of the movie when they go and lay their jerseys out and the whole time. Meanwhile, in the movie, they also picked Divine is not into it. He doesn't know anything to do with it.
Speaker 2: The and Divine openly hated how he was portrayed in this movie. Oh yeah, his family was also super supportive of him throughout his life. It's even been rumored that members of Rudy's extended family were actually really unhappy with how his brother was portrayed in the movies integral character to.
Speaker 1: The plot, so his whole not only not only is he a dick in real life his family, he also makes them look like pieces of shit. And they weren't supportive, but they actually were. The guy who's one of the more endearing characters in the movie, the groundskeeper, not a real person. It's a made up character.
Speaker 5: Just isn't a real person.
Speaker 2: The only reason this movie exists is because the real Rudy like new friends of friends of people in Hollywood and just incessantly campaigned for years to have this life story made. Yes, this movie is very good, very inspirational, and also just total fiction.
Speaker 4: Hey make a movie of me, Hey make a movie of me. He can make a movie of me?
Speaker 1: Oh god, right, what kind of jerk does that? Right?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: But if it worked, it worked, you got a movie made of and a very highly popular movie at that.
Speaker 1: Oh it's huge. Right, I've got another one with a with a local tie. And when he explains it, you'll go, this makes complete sense.
Speaker 2: What based on a true story is almost completely made up.
Speaker 5: I'll go first.
Speaker 2: I already talked about this movie, but so many of you requested it on my last video that I can talk about it a little bit more.
Speaker 5: Catch me if you can.
Speaker 2: Is completely full of crap, but in the most incredible way possible, based on the exploits of a guy named Frank Abagnaiale Junior who was insistent that Leonardo DiCaprio play him in the movie. And here's what he looks like in real life, not even remotely close.
Speaker 3: No, but if you're gonna have somebody portray you and in your movie, wouldn't you like one of the hottest ones, not one that looks like a troll, like you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me, I guess if I was a narcissist maybe yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Life just feel like that should have been maybe our first. Hendrick abag Nail is a con man, and the movie is the supposed true story of how he eluded the FBI for several years by posing as an airline pilot, a doctor, and a lawyer. The thing about those claims is that upon further investigation, it's been pretty much confirmed that he didn't actually do any of this is he's a con man. The most they've been able to prove is that he probably did forge checks and he really did kind of become an amateur.
Speaker 5: Expert in check fraud.
Speaker 2: But his greatest con is convincing a movie studio made up of Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, and Leonardo DiCaprio to make a movie about his life, movie that has made up almost entirely of falsehoods of things that did not actually occur.
Speaker 1: Did you watch that movie and you're like, Wow, this guy's had an amazing life.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, he's good.
Speaker 1: He you know, redeemed himself in life. Can you find out No, it's all made up?
Speaker 4: No, he swindled the other ones And then making a movie about him.
Speaker 2: Yellow, the movie the real Frank Abagnail has said is made up is this relationship with his dad. After Frank Abnail ran away from home, which he really did do, he actually never saw his father again for the rest of his life. So these scenes where he continues to go back throughout his life and try and touch base with his father were clearly Spielberg playing with his father's son dynamic, which he does in a lot of his films. Also quick side note, but if I had a nickel for every time? Leonardo DiCaprio starred in a supposed true story about a con man in a movie that was later revealed that the con man invented. Major portions of the movie have two nickels. But it's weird that that happen twice, right, what based.
Speaker 1: Wolf of wall Street is also what he's done that there's none of that happened, like it's a lot of it's completely made up. Yeah, it was great movie though, right, no entertaining. Yes, sure, but I think about this with The Titanic a lot, because I think it's a fantastic movie. Then not one lick of that movie other than a ship going down, and maybe the people on the ship, some of the some of them, right, not the main characters, is real.
Speaker 3: I have to say that, unless it's a documentary, the chances of any of it being real are slim to none.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I would even argue then is yeah, because there's a lot of movies out there, Like I watched that one, The Upside.
Speaker 3: I told you guys about that yesterday with Brian Kranston and Kevin Hark. It's based on a real story, right, there's the key word.
Speaker 4: Based, right exactly.
Speaker 3: So I'm wondering, like how much of that is just you know, Hollywood bullshit. Great movie for sure, all of them great movies, but you know, when you get down to it, you know.
Speaker 4: The fucking story sucks.
Speaker 3: So they're like, well, how can we make this sexier exactly and making and make some money off of it? So we start putting in our own thoughts and making sh up.
Speaker 6: But going back to the to the Titanic, I think it was probably believable that they didn't have enough lifeboats on the ship.
Speaker 1: No they no, they didn't. But it's again that's that's little things. Yeah, that doesn't make it a true story though, right right, It's like going the sky was blue in that movie. It did fucking go down.
Speaker 3: It was an Iceberg involved Allegendly, we've gone down that hole before, you know, insurance were you there? Was it sunk by a torpedo or some shit?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got he's got another one. He's got Uh? Uh did it? Uh? What is this one? Patriot Day? Patriots Day with Mark Wahlberg about the bombing. You want to listen to that one? Get get all, get your feelers hurt on that one too.
Speaker 2: Based on a true story, is almost completely made up. I'll go first. It's not full of crap. Here's the problem that a lot of people had with Patriots Day. Patriots Day tells the true story of the twenty thirteen Boston marathon bombing and the Boston Police Department successful tracking down an arrest of those bombing suspects.
Speaker 5: There's a fatal flaw.
Speaker 2: With this movie though, that particularly a lot of people in the Boston area had an issue with this movie purports to depict the real life manhunt of the Boston Marathon bomber. Quick side note, but calling that event the world's greatest manhunt is to me a little bit of a stretch.
Speaker 5: But that's for.
Speaker 2: Another important thing about this real life event from history is that it brought out everyday heroism in the people of Boston. Images from that day were so powerful because they depicted real life Boston citizens coming to the aid of their real life Boston brothers and sisters. That day produced countless real life heroes. So what does Patriots Day do? It centers the entire story around a fictional character. This film, Mark Wolberg portrays Tommy Saunders, a fictional police officer. Now, the filmmakers have said that they did this because there were so many real life heroes that day that they wanted to create a single composite character to represent all of those people, particularly the officers in the Boston Police Department. Many people in Boston, however, have said that you could have depicted several real life Boston police officers. Filmmakers could have chosen to depict actual real life ha.
Speaker 1: I don't have a problem with this one.
Speaker 6: I don't really either.
Speaker 1: For a movie, you can't. It would not transfer very well onto the screen. To have multiple main characters. You gotta have a main character in storytelling, and sick to budget, Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: You glump them all into one person, and that's the main character that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I don't love that one. Let's see if we can do another one that's completely made up because he does different variations about it too, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Stand and Deliver. He also does like an accurate version, right, what is it with.
Speaker 6: The Texas Chainsaw massacres?
Speaker 1: Well, let's find out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what based on a true story is almost completely made up?
Speaker 1: I'll go for.
Speaker 5: Of course, this movie is full.
Speaker 2: Of crafts, not real. It's completely fictional, the one. All the ways this movie was influential. I don't think it gets enough credit for how influential it was on the But what if it were real? Subgenre of horror that Blair Witch project The Strangers, which I'd previously done a video on and even uses the inspired by true events right there on the poster been something like paranormal activity that doesn't purport to be real, but it's clearly playing with this notion of what if this was real? That's to Changsawn Masker kind of invented that filmmakers did actually take inspiration from real life serial killer ed Gean, whose crimes I can't get into on TikTok.
Speaker 5: But you can look them. My filmakers also specifically.
Speaker 2: Cited the behavior and actions of a man named Elmer Wayne Henleygin can't get into TikTok on what he did, but you can look that up. Point this is the filmmakers made this story up, but they used elements of real life and made the story up in such a way that audiences, particularly before the Internet, believed that maybe possibly it was real. Filmmakers have also talked about how the influence of the Vietnam War and the images they were seeing on their television every night influenced a lot of the gore and violence in this movie. My opinion, this is this movie's greatest legacy. It took real aspect of violence in our culture and put it into a fictional world.
Speaker 1: Because I thought that movie was real the whole time. Me too, Yeah, so did I, And it's not I made up.
Speaker 3: I knew that they had taken bits and pieces from like Ed Geen's stuff, you know, and put it in there. Thought it was just maybe Hollywood step, but I didn't know the whole thing was just, you know, a bunch of bullshit, completely made up. Got me interested in this Elmer Wayne Emily, I had never heard of this serial killer.
Speaker 6: He was convicted in nineteen seventy four for his role as a participant in a series of murders known as the Houston mass murders, in which a minimum of twenty eighteenage boys and young men were abducted, tortured, raped, and murdered by Dean Coral between nineteen seventy and seventy three. Henley and David Owen Brooks, Coral's other teenage accomplice, together and individually lured many of the victims to Quarrel's home. Henley, then seventeen years old, shot Corarel dead on August eighth, nineteen seventy three.
Speaker 4: Seventeen.
Speaker 6: He's serving six consecutive terms of ninety nine years for his involvement in the Houston mass murders, which at the time were characterized as the deadliest case of serial killers in American history.
Speaker 1: I got another one for you, A true story one. You know the movie, uh, Spotlight, big movie?
Speaker 4: Okay, won an oscar?
Speaker 5: Pretty accurate.
Speaker 2: This movie is pretty accurate, only inaccuracy. Hears that it just covers their initial reporting up until their first issue. In reality, the Spotlight team of the Boston Globe continued to publish stories about the priest abuse scandals for several years after that reason they have to condense down some of the witnesses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I got it right. It was just it was just they implied that it was over pretty fast. Gotcha.
Speaker 4: I've never heard of that movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh you haven't. It's one that if you watch it, you'll get pretty angry, only because the the uh the kid rape now is that it took him so long. Okay, yeah, here's another one that's not gonna be awesome.
Speaker 2: What based on a true story is almost completely made up?
Speaker 1: I'll go first.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this movie's full of crap.
Speaker 2: When the real life title character disowns the movie about himself, you know you're in for a rough time. Yes, the real Patch Adams despised the movie about himself, going so far as to tell film critic Roger Ebert, I hate that movie.
Speaker 1: So what did he hate about?
Speaker 2: That's a little nitpicky artistic license, things like the fact that Robin Williams is way too old to be playing him in medical school. It's even a minor plot point in the movie that Patch Adams is supposedly way too old to be a medical school. When the real Patch Adams enrolled in medical school at the age of twenty two and graduated at twenty six. Love interest who gets murdered by one of their patients is not a real character. The biggest problem with this movie, and the biggest complaint from the real Patch Adams, is that it waters down his advocacy and the health care causes he's fought for for the sake of sentimentality and a much less progressive.
Speaker 3: Meth sure, I love that movie again making it sexy for Hollywood because the real story is boring.
Speaker 1: Let's see, there's some other ones here Wall Street where I talked about Ray.
Speaker 4: Like from about Ray, Charles almost said Ray Stevens.
Speaker 1: Hidden Figures, which is this story about women singers if I remember right?
Speaker 6: Nuh no hidden figure isn't that the Aero Nautical women or whatever they.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that's the role they played. Yeah. The Mark Wahlberg where he plays the football player in for the Eagles. Okay, Uh the one with uh oh Man. What is this movie's name? I could remember it? Green Book? Uh, Bohemian Rhapsody o. Uh, Pocahontas, the team of the cartoon? Yeah, Moneyball. Oh, here's a good one. Gimbiill know this movie, fantastic movie with Morgan.
Speaker 2: Freeman, based on a true story, is almost completely made up.
Speaker 1: I'll go first.
Speaker 2: This movie is not entirely full of crap. Fact, it's a fairly accurate depiction of what occurred that school year. Where it gets a little shaky is when you start to talk about the legacy of Joe Louis Clark and if he really made east Side High that much better in the long term. So Leno Mean tells the true story of this guy, Joe Louis Clark, who was brought in to be the principle of east Side High School in New Jersey and basically turning around and prevent it from coming under state control. As shown in the movie, east Side High School was a really bad high school where there was tons of gang violence and no learning was taking place, and they had really really low test scores. And the movie accurately depicts Joe Louis Clark is a very strict disciplinarian. One of the primary moves he made, which is depicted in the movie, is that he kicked about three hundred students out of the school for causing nothing but disruption and basically creating gang violence and dealing drugs. But the movie makes it seem like these really strict policies worked and he turned the high school around and it was a super happy ending. Problem is that a few years after the school year depicted in the movie, test scores didn't really get any better. Now, as an education professional, I have opinions about grading schools using test scores and standardized tests in general, but that's for a different time.
Speaker 5: While it seems like he.
Speaker 2: Did clean up the school a little bit at first, there were actually some people that in the long term were very critical of his strict practices, one of the main criticisms being that the school never got better because the community around it never improved, which a lot of people blamed on Joe Lewis Clark because he took three hundred really bad kids out of the school and put them onto the streets. Oh. To be clear, as an education professional, I am not saying I have the answers that I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. RANDI your lecture on that Moneyball the greatest show ever Zodiac conjuring Argo. Have you ever seen Argo?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, remember the Titans O.
Speaker 6: I was gonna ask if that's on there. Yeah, what does he say about that.
Speaker 1: It's a great movie?
Speaker 2: It is what based on a true story is almost completely made up.
Speaker 1: I'll go first.
Speaker 2: This movie is not full of crap, though it does stretch the truth quite a bit. For starters, this movie does do a better job than a lot of other movies in this series, and that it does depict real people. Coach Boone was a real person. Coach Yost was a real person. Gary Bertier was a real person. The Sunshine character was a real person. But apparently everyone on the team had long hair. Even the little girl Coach Yost's daughter was a real person.
Speaker 5: So what's this movie making up to start?
Speaker 2: T C. Williams was not a newly integrated high school. It had been integrated for several years. What the district had controversially done is taken three area high schools, each with their own football team, and combined them into one big football team. And that was the team that the real life Coach Boone was selected to be the head coach for. But all three of those high schools were integrated, and they weren't the only integrated high school in the area. One point in the movie, Coach Boone makes a big deal about saying that they're the only team that has both black and white players, so they have to worry about race, and no other team in the conference has to worry about that. In fact, literally every other team in T. C. Williams Conference was racially integrated. Movie also depicts TC Williams playing several close football games, when in fact, just.
Speaker 5: About every game they played was a blowout.
Speaker 2: Closest game they played all season was against George C. Marshall High School, which is depicted in the movie, and they really did win that game with a last second running play that scored them a touchdown as time expired. But the movie depicts that game as the state championship game at the end of the season, when in fact that was just a regularly scheduled regular season game they played. The actual state championship game was played against Andrew Lewis High School, who they shut out twenty seven to nothing. Andrew Lewis High School actually had negative total offensive.
Speaker 1: Yards for the game.
Speaker 5: Also, Gary Bertier's car.
Speaker 2: Accident occurred after the season was over, and he actually played in every game that year. But overall, this movie isn't as egregious as some of the others in this series.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, yeah, but you know they've fledged some lines. We all know the blind Side isn't real, right, yeah? Cool runnings? Oh man, the Jamaica bobs like the Brave Heart. Okay, Braveheart's a big one. A lot of people have identity in that movie. A lot of people think that that's the movie that is the manhood movie. Right there.
Speaker 2: Good movie, what based on a true story is almost completely made up.
Speaker 5: I'll go first, Good God, this movie.
Speaker 2: It should start by saying that historians who ran such things say that this movie, Braveheart has a legitimate claim as being the most historically inaccurate popular movie.
Speaker 5: After there are.
Speaker 2: Literally too many historical inaccuracies in this movie for me to just go through and list them in a TikTok video. Everything from the fact that Scottish people didn't wear kilts at that time, to the fact that the weaponry that they're using is all completely wrong for the era, to the fact that William Wallace is portrayed as sort of this poor, almost nationalist guerrilla type, when in fact he was born into a noble Scottish family and grew up kind of rich. Battle of sterling Bridge is depicted in the film, except it was very crucial to the actual battle that it was fought on a bridge, because it's called the Battle of Sterling Bridge if there's no bridge depicted in the movie. Also, the depiction of Edward the first brutality is just wildly exaggerated. Most historians agree he was kind of temperamental, but he was also sort of a nice guy who gave a lot to charity. He didn't just randomly throw people out windows, as is depicted in this film. I could go on, but if you really want to have some fun, check out the Wikipedia for the movie Braveheart and look at the historical inaccuracy section, which has multiple sub sections in it based on a truth.
Speaker 6: Oh that's so awesome, Yeah and disappointing all at the same time.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you put that much onus in a movie, right, for your identity, right, or your motivation to be a good man, that's on.
Speaker 4: You, Right, It's just a movie.
Speaker 1: It's it's literally made to be entertained. Yeah, that's it. Decisions were made to make it more fun. Never have they made a movie and gone, ooh, but it won't be accurate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got to make sure that we are spot on.
Speaker 6: It can be a little inaccurate for you know, the drama's sake, but to do it like the brave hearts.
Speaker 1: That all movies. Yeah, back to Titanic, right, there's a lot of inaccuracies in that movie in regards to.
Speaker 4: What it was. Yeah, but it's entertaining as shit for sure.
Speaker 1: The idea you could just make up take a piece of history and go what can I what could I do to make it more entertaining? Right, because I don't know what really happened, right.
Speaker 4: We weren't there.
Speaker 3: We're just taking the stories that we have, yeah, going with it and then exaggerating them, adding things.
Speaker 4: To make it more entertaining.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't want to ruin disclaimer for Lindsey. I don't know if she's gonna watch it, but that's pretty much what that movie is about. What that TV shows about is one's making letting one picture represent what you think happen.
Speaker 6: That's why a lot of times too, I don't like movies that were based off of the books because it never matches up. I read the book and then I'm like, well, that didn't happen in the book, or it didn't happen like this, But I hate.
Speaker 1: I'm so good with that because the book's made up too, so we already know it's not based off anything real, right, But I do.
Speaker 6: I love the books way better.
Speaker 1: They just can't make a book into a movie. You just can't. There's not enough time. Yeah, books have freedom. That's why you know it's different. It's a different type of entertainment because books have room to go deep into things.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: I wonder if you probably closed out of it. But I wonder if Aaron Brokovitch was on his list.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, I didn't see it. I didn't see it. But there's a lot of them, and he does some that are about true and then he does some about plot holes that are never explained and why they're ridiculous. Those are always fun, They're way fun. Yeah, but I spend so much time on that one. Hey. So next week, yeah, after next week, after next you're talking about the NYBD. Yeah, yep, week after next No, it's the it's the sixteenth, that's next week.
Speaker 4: Is that next week?
Speaker 1: That's next week is the seventh. So next week, on the sixteenth, we will be at the hard Rock Hotel and Casino for the the blood drive to help save lives. And it's one of these things we've done for years on KMOD and it's about you know, being there for people when you know you didn't know you they were gonna need you. It's an easy way to help out. Takes a few minutes. And if you can't go because you can't get blood, because you got a tattoo or what you've been you know you've been to I don't know Papa New Guinea, right at least you know, recruit some people to go or tell them about.
Speaker 4: It your office to go out there. I'll take a take a break, go save some lives. Get out of the.
Speaker 1: Office for a little bit, save lives. You have a choice on Thursday, save a life or don't. You have to live with the decision again. That's going to be a week from this Thursday the sixteenth at hard Rock Hotel because you guys have a fantastic week.
Speaker 4: See ye bye bye