Speaker 1: I'm Ali. I came out after twenty years of marriage and I have three kids.
Speaker 2: I'm Melissa and I have two kids, and I came out at thirty seven after an eleven year marriage.
Speaker 1: This podcast is about coming out later and the struggles and victories that come with.
Speaker 2: It when coming out feels like the end of the world, but it's really just the beginning.
Speaker 1: This is the Lesbian Chronicles. Welcome to the Lesbian Chronicles. But you just heard me scream at my son in real time.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, we're in the same boat this weekend. We've both got kids. I just ran mine out of here because it's like, what three o'clock in the afternoon. This is when Brecken has decided that he needs to eat lunch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, what the noise I heard when you got on here? I can't even it? Is that what lunch sounds like over there?
Speaker 2: Well, because he's using the air fryer, so it was like yes, ding yeah, and yeah, he's got stuff in the microwave, like and it's funny he had like it was basically three different types of carbs, okay, good, yeah, pretzels, rolls and pretzel bites exactly.
Speaker 1: Car bloating for the race he's not doing exactly. All right, Well, let's get into it. Anybody has anybody seen the movie Book Smart.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I was gonna say, you're about to hang me out to dry a hundred books.
Speaker 1: The two friends have this thing where if you say this one word, the person has to show up. The only problem is that and the word in the movie is moulala after that woman. I think mulala.
Speaker 3: Is that what it's?
Speaker 1: I think, so, I think that's like the basis of it. But in the movie, like if I say that, you gotta go. Yeah, But the problem is I've already used it on you a couple of times, and you've never used it on me, so you were like, dude, you're killing me. But I mulala at her yesterday and she still did a cup.
Speaker 2: I know, and I do feel bad, but I really truly had to be like I cannot, like I had.
Speaker 3: I was driving back from it.
Speaker 2: I was in Atlanta Thursday Friday, went to the Braves game finally I've been wanting to go, which honestly like perfectly aligned because Ted Turner and Bobby Cox just passed away. So it was like, good for my soul like I was such a Braves fan growing up in Ted Turner with CNN all the things.
Speaker 3: So anyway, but I was like driving back there, had to.
Speaker 2: Pick up this little rascal dog get my kids, and I wouldn't have been getting there until like well after four o'clock. My kids didn't want to go, like it's a whole thing.
Speaker 1: So that's a whole thing.
Speaker 3: Well I did make myself go, and you survived.
Speaker 1: I survived. But you know what's interesting is we got into a conversation there about doing like mushroom trips, and one person in particular was talking about a mushroom trip. She went on and the way the analogy she used that, so I've never done this, So anyone listening know that I'm reporting what somebody taught me, which is that she did a mushroom trip for like a reset. And she said that the what she understands it as is this is how it works. If your brain and you're like nervous system is like a ski slope and you're always skiing down the same path. The grooves in that path get deeper and deeper and deeper until your nervous nervous system and your mindset just lives in that groove. It goes right back to that. Anything that happens back to the groove. Anything rough or shakes you up, you're back in the groove of that negative thinking, that nervous system, like anxiety. So when you do a trip, She's like, it just fills in the groove so that you can develop a new path down the mountain. And I thought that was, like that made sense to me. I don't totally understand how. I know there's science on it. Emory just released a study about it, Like I know it's real. I just am like, I really am so curious about it. I would be too paranoid and scared ever do it. But I am like fascinated by this idea of like resetting your nervous system, because I do feel like mine gets me in trouble. It makes me anxious, It makes me do things I would never normally do because my nervous system is right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I can't really speak to the whole mushroom things like my experience, like I've had like some chocolates or whatever. You know, it's just kind of made things like silly and funny. I haven't done like the ones that people talk about where they go on like a whole journey, and I'm like you, I feel apprehensive about it. I don't know that there's something about feeling really out of control and that sense that doesn't feel good to me.
Speaker 3: So but I know a lot of people say that it is very good.
Speaker 2: And I think as far as the nervous system reset, and I think that's kind of like what you and I have been really navigating that the last few years is just kind of like experiencing these life things that we'd never experienced in our entire lives. The emotional upheaval, the ups and downs that being like so in love and then.
Speaker 3: Being completely thrown off balance.
Speaker 2: Like there's something to be said about like like we say, the body keeps the score, these situations are living in our nervous systems, and that's like the most accessible to us right now. It's the freshest. So it's really like you're saying, it's like you end up like doing and saying things. You're like, God, I'm like, I'm losing my mind over here. I'm favrowing it, you know.
Speaker 1: Favrowing it. I'm still favrowing by the way, But you know that I have a new good friend of ours if she's listening. Full thank you to you guys. Actually it's two friends. They gave me the advice to have like a fake email account, so instead of like journaling, you just write to this email account. I created a new account, and you just write to this email account. Give the person the password if they want to see what you're writing about, but otherwise you just right rite. Brain dump, brain dump. Yeah, this came up for me. This came up, and so I've been doing it every.
Speaker 2: Day, Like I think that's a really good idea, Like, yeah, it's kind of like one of those therapy tools of like writing the letter to someone and just really letting it all out there.
Speaker 3: But you know, you're never going to send the letter, Like this is sending the letter, but this is sending the letter. So you're giving the person the person.
Speaker 1: The person access, but it doesn't go to their email. It goes to this new email and they can check it if they want, or they can ignore it completely. And I know what you guys are wondering, Hash she checked it.
Speaker 3: Hash, she checked it. I'm gonna guess no.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to let that just hang in the balance and I'll tell you offline well.
Speaker 2: And also I think the other thing to kind of consider in these situations and that I've had to like kind of learn that sometimes you have to sit with it, you know, and that other person.
Speaker 3: Needs to sit with it totally.
Speaker 2: And our brains have a way of going to that space of like this is the end all be all, this is how it's going to be forever, and it's not.
Speaker 1: No, it literally isn't. And things do open up, and there are moments of lucidity, like where I'm sitting there and I'm like, I'm actually really okay, yeah, like I'm and then there's moments that come over me where I'm like what the fuck, Like this doesn't feel good. I think yesterday one of the people that were there with us, she and I kind of had a moment where you know, you're We were at Kirkwood spring flaying. It's a total blast. One of my favorite bands is called the ham Strings, and they sing like great cover music. They were playing and when I first got there, I'd had one beer, I was getting ready to get my second beer. Ham Strings were starting. I was feeling really good, like and I forgot for a minute, like I was I was so happy. Everybody's laying on a blanket, we're having drinks. But then it's like, as the day wore on, I started to like notice all the families and their kids and my I don't know, she and I both were like, this is kind of like it's kind of triggering and that it's like this was supposed to be what I would be doing with my family or with my partner, and you know, there's kids running all over. My kids would have been there, They've been here where you've have a soccer game, but I don't know, it did bring up for me that not only the thing I'm going through right now, but then also like you're grieving this life that you thought you were going to live, and even though you walked away from it, now it's front and center in my face in my neighborhood. Just this is what I walked away from. These moms, this group, this social you know, the moms and the dads are all meeting up to like with their couple friends and like throwing the ball and hanging out. And it's like that's not going to be my life ever, because I'm never going to share children with the partner.
Speaker 2: Gat yeah, well yeah, I mean that that part for sure, But I think I think right now in our stage of life where the kids are getting like a little older, you know.
Speaker 3: They're they're not as around as much. You know.
Speaker 2: That's like that's the thing for me, like with this weekend. And one of the reasons why I didn't come up there is like our summer is about to be slammed. I'm saying, like they both they're both in Brecon's doing three different camps. Kaylin's doing swim teams, She's training for a trath launch, She's going to Canada.
Speaker 3: Like there's just so many things.
Speaker 2: That we have on our plate right now, and I'm like, this is our last weekend before like the chaos ensues, you know, and it's like I want that time with them because it's it's flying by right now. Like I invested a lot of time and energy into that person and like kind of building what I thought was going to be a future and a family and that person that I go to these like festivals with and events, and then that's not what happened. And so and like I'm you know, going to events here in Peachtree City. I went to one like a couple of weeks ago they do this like night market thing. I've never been and really only went because I wanted to go and see my kids and give them a hug because it wasn't like my night to have them. But I was like there, and I'm like, I just I feel so like I don't fit in in this space, Like I'm there alone, Like there's a billion like families, straight family, he's at that, and I'm just.
Speaker 3: Like God like kind of sucks.
Speaker 2: And so I think there is like, yeah, that deeper grief that continues to happen over this because like you know, closing in on eight years of going through this being divorce and being like wow, and I really thought like everything was going to happen really quickly and sert why that like.
Speaker 3: It doesn't fit. Okay, let's try this one. Let's try this one, this one. Fuck now, I'm out of time, is what it feels like. But I know I'm not out of time.
Speaker 1: I remember when I was a stay at home mom. I was a stay at home mom for almost fifteen For fifteen years until Chris and I got divorced, I never worked. I hung out with the same group of moms that also stayed at home. We got together with our kids all the time, and the kids were in school, we were still doing stuff together. But I remember that too, being like I had my my tight group, but there was like a bigger group at large. And I remember being told back then that like moms are also a tough demographic, they're not like they're so focused on their kids sometimes that I think they don't always include people they're not. I've heard moms say some pretty shitty things about other people's kids, or the mom or the way they raise their kids. Sometimes the odd man out as the mom. You're already not included. Now you're coming out, and now you're really not included, and not because of any fault of your own. It's just you're not a couple anymore. So with the kids and you, who are they inviting the dad with the kids? They should though, but they don't. Like I remember when I was married, I remember now the single moms with their kids. I don't remember including them.
Speaker 3: I knew any single moms. There aren't single moms here like there.
Speaker 1: Were a few down here. But I just remember they were working all the time, so they didn't have the same relationships because they were gone versus like I was well entrenched because these were my friends all day. Well, you're at work, we're having lunch, we're working out, we're walking with our babies. I mean, so I don't know. That hit me yesterday of like wow, life went on and I got off the train and I'm happy I did. But I got off the train and they're all still on it doing great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean that's surface level doing great. It is, so you don't you really don't know what's what all. And that's one thing I always trying to remind myself of. It's like I don't know what these other people are struggling with that I have no idea about, you know, and you know, I think it's all this to say, it's like these layers of grief that continue to happen, these layers of things that we feel like we're kind of missing out on. But then there's like the broader picture of like how would I feel if I was still that card mom knowing that I'm gay, Like you know, that was like rocking me to my core. So I would choose this you.
Speaker 1: And if everybody threw their problems into the middle, I will take my problems every single time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I ran into one of my neighbors, my favorite neighbor. I love her and I adore her husband. He helps me twice a week with something. He's killed roaches, he's helping my grass grow. He's over here building things, like he is my guy. And I said to her at the spring floating as I was like, oh my god, where's Bob today. I'm like, the best thing about Bob is it's like I have a husband right next door that I don't have to sleep with Bob. So she was dying and she's like, literally, she's like, he does more for you guys than us over here.
Speaker 3: That's funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's like, you don't need a husband, and I got Bob.
Speaker 3: Just find a Bob, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I call Bob and I'm like, there's a roach. I'm dying.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I've had to just suck it up in those situations and deal with it myself.
Speaker 3: I hate it. Those are my least favorite bugs to kill.
Speaker 1: I can't sleep, like I will literally be up the entire night thinking about that roach.
Speaker 2: I actually had this happen recently where I found one in my bedroom. Like I'm getting off work, it's late at night. I go upstairs turn on the light and it's like you know when you turn on the lights, and it's like this fucking roach surprise party where they.
Speaker 3: Like, oh my god, the opposite of a surprise party. And they stopped and I was like, is it dead?
Speaker 2: And so I got like hairspray or something to go after it, and it runs into my bed.
Speaker 1: I'm a hotel. I have to go to a hotel now, dude.
Speaker 3: I had to just put it out of my brain because I was.
Speaker 1: Like, I need he's absolutely climbing up on the bed.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, please don't.
Speaker 2: I slept that night and I just told myself, you know what, you will survive if anything bad happens, It's not going to kill you. And I really needed sleep. But the very next.
Speaker 3: Day, oh my god, it does. I would feel it. I'm a light sleeper.
Speaker 2: This has happened in Florida when like Tom and I just started dating and I feel it crawl up my chest and I grabbed it in my sleep and I threw it at his back and like smacks him.
Speaker 3: He wakes up.
Speaker 2: We both jump out of bed, turn on the lights, and we watched the thing like run through the bed and disappear, and I was like, I'm not sleeping here tonight.
Speaker 1: And didn't you learn your lesson from that?
Speaker 2: I know maybe now because it's been like twenty something years find.
Speaker 3: But I just I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't feel like I had a choice, and I didn't want to like alarm Breckon because if he knew, the world.
Speaker 3: Was going to end if he found out.
Speaker 2: So I ended up buying like the roach bombs, which I'm sure are just filled with cancer, like to spray in my backyard with like some kind of bug killers. Ever since I've done that, I've not seen a single freaking bug. I'm pretty sure I just like messed up the ecosystem for all of the city by spraying that shit.
Speaker 1: But it yeah, they're all at your neighbor's house. It's true though, those grief that happens. And I was good up until we left, and then I left early, as I do. I'm walking home by myself, and I just it hit me like, yeah, this is not what I signed up for. And a year ago at the same event, I was very very happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there's also like I think, accepting that there's going to be good and bad and like My mom used to always say, you can only be as happy as you been bad, Like you can't just be happy all the time. Or it's like there is no happy, like you could only be as happy as you've been sad. So it's like you're gonna have lows, You're gonna have hies, which is so much more fulfilling than just a blase a life where it's like nothing bad ever happens, nothing good ever happens, You're just like whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very true, comparing what where you were at a year ago.
Speaker 3: Sometimes that's like a good thing to do.
Speaker 2: Like I did that recently, and I realized, like I'm in the same cycle that I was in a year ago. I'm and I need to do something to end it, you know, because I'm just like nothing's being fixed, nothing's changed.
Speaker 1: Aren't we our own demise too. It's like I think about decisions I've made that I understand fully why I made them. You make mistakes still that I'm like, I haven't learned that lesson yet.
Speaker 3: I guess, Yeah, that's just it.
Speaker 2: It's like you're gonna keep making that mistake until it really really walks in. Yeah, but there does come a time where you do have to be really honest with yourself and be like, this is happening because I keep doing it, you know, I'm staying stuck.
Speaker 1: But two things can be true. I think this is something doctor Lorie kind of helped me see, is that two things, like you can have two competing forces that need your attention, and you're forced sometimes to make decisions that you wouldn't normally make, or you make them out of fear, or you make them out of ease of making to protect somebody. They are all kinds of times that that that happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's forces.
Speaker 1: Competing for what the needs are. Let's say, for example, let's say somebody had a partner and their child needed something and you had to cancel the date with the partner. The partner has completely been out of shape pissed, but the kid wanted to go to this party. And it might seem like not a big deal, but it's like these two competing forces that oftentimes you have to do things that feel bad for one good for another, and then you suffer the wrath of that decision and you did it again and all these things. But it's like, really, if you look at the big picture, the body of work is so good. Yeah, and I'm not talking to anybody in particular.
Speaker 3: Maybe, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think you're right, like in the sense of like, sometimes we're making decisions because someone else is in our life that we are kind of making those decisions with them. You know, We're not always leading the charge alone in these things. Yeah, our kids are the person that we're you know, want to be with.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I'm kind of.
Speaker 2: Being like, oh, this is all my fault, this is what I did. But it's like, no, there's multiple factors at play here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, multiple things can be true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then I think the other.
Speaker 1: Thing that I've come to learn a hard way is I protect people because I feel like, but you should go through the hassle and let people get bent out of shape and just live on the up and up where you're not Like, let's say there was a big party and you weren't invited. This would never happen because I would invite you. You know this, But I'm just going to use this example. There's a big party, you're not invited, and I can't get you in, but I feel like I need to go. I'm probably I would think in my heart I don't even want to tell her about the party because it's a non event and all it's going to do is make her sit at home and stress about this party she wasn't included too. So it's like this moral dilemma of do I tell Melissa about the party she's not included to or do I just go? The day passes and Melissa's none the wiser and her heart doesn't have to feel any kind of way.
Speaker 2: Then a picture gets posted where everybody's there, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's like that's something though I struggle with. I don't I hate hurting people and I hate having a thing, so I end up hurting everyone because I can't do the thing. It's just easier to be like, let the day go and there's nothing to worry.
Speaker 3: About, right.
Speaker 2: But I think also too, it's like it can feel so personal when you're like not invited to something, you know, And I mean I feel that a lot.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of times that get invited to stuff, like and then I.
Speaker 2: See the picture or whatever, and it used to like really bother me, but now I'm just like it's fine, Like I don't have to be invited to everything. There's times that you and I have done things and not invited everybody, you know, And it's not necessarily about like not wanting these people around.
Speaker 3: It's limited space. You know.
Speaker 2: One thing that I don't like is to go out to dinner with like fifteen people, because I feel like that's never You're never having like a good, solid conversation with the whole group. And I'd rather if we're if it's a party, like a happy hour thing at your house, and we've got fifteen twenty people there, that's great, But everybody sits down at a restaurant, you're not like interacting with.
Speaker 1: Really, I think that's so true, And like you and I have the thing where we're like, we're always going to include each other, and I live by that. Yeah, so I always feel like I have you. But I can tell you two instances in the last three months where somebody called me after they had an event and said I had an event and I didn't invite you, And I thought to myself, I don't like that, but maybe they're I think it's rude, like, don't even tell me I'm not invited. But then as I thought about it, it's like they're doing the thing I should have done, which is just say it so that I don't find out about it the hard way. If you're not a good friend of mine, I don't need to know about your dumb party. I don't care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're in.
Speaker 1: My inner circle and something happens and I'm not included, I'm probably gonna be my feelings are a little hurt.
Speaker 2: You or I maybe not included on purpose because of someone else that's attending or something like that, which okay, fine. But I also think that sometimes, like the space situation is an issue that's okay. Sometimes maybe people just want an intimate thing of like four or five people, six people, and that's okay too. That person wanted to include you but was not doing so for that reason, and I think was trying to get ahead.
Speaker 1: I agree, But don't you think we are grown?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, invite.
Speaker 1: Both people and then let them decide if they want to come. I don't want. Well, that's you don't get to be the arbiter of my night. Yeah, you know, like that hurts me. Like that to me is like I'm grown.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean that instance is, Yeah, that's a.
Speaker 2: Little unique in the sense of like I don't know who's like the victim in the breakup or whatever, you know. Like that part's difficult because it's another one of those things where I'm just like you, you don't know the ins and outs of like what was going on in a relationship.
Speaker 1: You don't know the ins and outs. But I let me preface in case she's listening, I'm not talking about the one that just happened. I'm so appreciative of, Like she let me know and I understood why completely, and I have no bad feelings about that whatsoever. So that one that just happened, if you're listening, this is yeah, I'm talking about one that happened like six months ago I thought was so weird. But I think we're grown women and we can show up or not show up. PSA. Invite everybody and let them work, not everybody, but invite. Don't not invite someone because they're part of a couple. That's mean. Yeah, that's mean, And like I would tell my kids not to do that. And if my fourteen year old knows better, we should know better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think, you know, sometimes it's like being in those situations where an ex is there whatever. I've experienced this where it's like I didn't think it was going to send my nervous system out of control, but it did. I still went yeah, and those feelings hit me. I handled them myself. I didn't, you know, make a scene or make a big deal about it. And I stayed at the party for as long as I wanted to, and then I left, you know, and then I addressed it in therapy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Another thing that I think is worth mentioning is like, I remember my dad used to always say this, and I say it now to my kids that like, also, if everybody likes you, then you aren't being authentic, Like you can pretty much guarantee if everybody likes you, you are not being yourself. You're morphing Ali. Everybody likes me, everybody might not like you, and they don't like me. Yeah, I know everybody doesn't like me. But I spent a lot of years telling my child in this like, if you feel like everybody likes you, you really evaluate your life, really evaluate your choices, really dig in, because you shouldn't be liked by everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeahs, And like that's.
Speaker 1: So please, you're gonna I'm perfectly fine to not be for everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like It's become more obvious to me in recent years. I'm like, well, I kind of rub people the wrong way sometimes, and I don't even like intend to.
Speaker 1: I don't you know, are you no?
Speaker 3: But I think I'm being nicer.
Speaker 2: I think I'm like telling a joke, and then it like it is not going overseaved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's not well received.
Speaker 1: I usually give you shit because you're too nice.
Speaker 3: I mean, yes, I can be too nice, but and that's just it. It's like I'm not saying anything mean in these instances.
Speaker 2: Like I'm just kind of ribbing somebody or like joking around like I was in this was in New York City and I went to the pharmacy and I was like having to go through all this stuff with my doctor and get all this shit that happened behind the scenes that this pharmacist has no idea about. And so I go to the counter and she was like, can I help you? And I was like, I sure, hope you can. And later the person was with me was like that pharmacists did not like you.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: She was like she kind of like gave me this like annoyed look when I said that, And I was saying it in the sense of like, please, I hope you can help me because I've been through the ringer and I need this medication.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that was not how the pharmacist was receiving it. Like they were.
Speaker 1: We also probably all need to be a little less like I'm going to assume and give you the benefit of the doubt that you're being kind unless you show me otherwise. I'm going to go into every conversation assuming you mean the best. In fact, I said this to someone the other day. She's like, think whatever you want, and I go, all right, I'm going to think of this as an it as a compliment.
Speaker 2: I will right, And like in that instance, I was right, and I was trying to like lighten the mood.
Speaker 3: I was being silly.
Speaker 2: But meanwhile, it's like, I don't know what this pharmacist is going through.
Speaker 3: She's probably had a help of a day.
Speaker 2: She's a pharmacist in the middle of New York City, like god knows, and here I am being I hope.
Speaker 3: You can help me, help me, and like she just met me.
Speaker 2: In that moment, I always think you're nice, Well, thank you, I'll tell me something else.
Speaker 3: Somebody.
Speaker 1: Really, we were having this conversation with another friend of ours in the group. Her name starts with A. She's listening and she was like, well, you know, I just want to tell you, in every room I've been in, people speak really nicely about you. And I didn't expect her. I was expecting her to be like, yeah, sometimes people feel like you're a little hard, or you're a little intimidating or whatever. I thought she was going to like say something like that, and she's like, every room I've ever been in people speak really highly yeah. And I was like, really, that just I've never heard anyone say that. It's like, I think we all think people are out there villainizing us. And she was like, let me just tell you, I've been in a lot of situations where people are talking, and that's what I'm gonna say.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's not anyone's ever said to me, Like I was going to say it to you.
Speaker 3: No one's saying no.
Speaker 2: Better, but they I mean, you are known as being like very welcoming, very kind.
Speaker 3: You don't do small talk.
Speaker 2: You're gonna ask the real questions. And they're sincere questions too. It's not like you're just you're not being nosy. You really want to like know who someone is and cut to the chase.
Speaker 1: So I think it's not going to be for everybody though, And I'm kind of alright with it, right.
Speaker 3: Because if you're for everybody, then that's boring.
Speaker 1: It's so boring. And it's also just like, are you morphing your personality to like have different groups of people think you're great?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like, And it kind of circles back to being like I would just still be married if I was going to play this, you know, if.
Speaker 1: I was going to play this part. Yeah, Like, But do you say more about I've talked about where like I'll go into a situation in a really good mood and like everybody feels healthy for me, Like I don't feel it all judged. I can totally relax. Yesterday's spring fling, I was with that group. They are like zero judgment, you know, just we love you so much, like we want you to feel good. But there's other groups I said in and I'm worried. I'm comfortable. It's like I can do it, But am I comfortable doing it now? Do you feel that sometimes?
Speaker 3: I do feel that.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I've felt it more over the course of the last year, like I think I've learned a lot of like kind of hard lessons the past year as far as like friendships go, because I've always been very like free flowing with what I say in a way that kind of does get me in trouble sometimes or maybe a little bit too comfortable around some people, and like I said, like it's being interpreted in different ways from what I actually and so I found that I am like a lot more careful in bigger groups sometimes or around people where I'm I just don't know what's what am I free to say here? So it's it sucks though, because it does kind of like make me hold back a bit in some sense that I wouldn't have before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like you feel like you can't just relax.
Speaker 2: Yeah me and say talking about like morphing personalities. It's like I've dialed back my personality because of that.
Speaker 3: I think it's a good thing and a bad thing, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like you've learned the lesson. I think I never was as free speaking as you. I asked questions because I'm curious, but I wouldn't to be. You're still free speaking, but I could see what you mean, like sitting at a table with six people. If you're mentioning some crazy story, you're in your mind, you're thinking, I used to be able to tell the story to my sex games, but now I won't because then two of them are going to call someone and say, Melissa said this right, And now all of a sudden, Melissa's you.
Speaker 2: Know, now Melissa's a dick or yeah, gossiping or whatever, or not even gossiping. I don't think that's I'm speaking about my own experiences. But sometimes it's like I'm such an open book that I think it gets me in trouble because it's like I'm I'm free flowing thinking without really processing what I'm thinking. God, it's like it's an open session taking place, right, you know. And there were spaces where I felt really safe to do that, and then now I don't.
Speaker 3: But again I think it's again good and bad, because I.
Speaker 1: Think that makes sense. A friend of ours, both of ours, was asking me to send her the video from that day we were dancing at the Valero, and I looked back at that. I don't even remember. It was not that long ago, it was a few months ago. But I was reminded of, first of all, how much fun that was second of all how happy I was. It was good for me to look back because I was like, that is my safe zone. First of all, we were in my neighborhood, which you know, I love, But second of all, I was with all people that I'm very much myself, and so there was no filter that day. I could just be crazy and yeah, and like I missed that in this next year, Like I just I want to cultivate it more. I want to just really do that because it's not good for me otherwise. I mean, my therapist has said that, like you choose sometimes to put yourself in settings that you shouldn't you know better, and like you are pulling out a little and it's like you're doing what she says we should all be doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I think that's just it.
Speaker 2: It's like I kind of know how I might feel around in certain situations, and so I'm fine with like not going yeah, and I find that, like I'm a little bit happier when I take the time to not be so rushed in my life and take care of stuff around my home that makes me feel good. And I don't know, just really focus on spending that quality time with people who make me feel really good, like I'm going to make time to spend with you. I went to the Braves game with my best friend on Friday night, Like those are just like such good experiences for me. I think one of the other things, too, is just to be really honest with those friends and just know that you're allowed to be honest, Like, you know, I'm allowed to tell you the ways that I've fucked up in situations and you're not going to be like, well, you're a fucking idiot and I'm not friends with you anymore because of that.
Speaker 1: You know, that is the bottom line. I think that is who is going to stand there when because we're not all going to be perfect. Somebody's not going to be me too. You're going to make twenty more mistakes. So if I walk away from everybody who has made a mistake, I'm going to be standing here by myself.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I just and I tend to like the complex person who has learned hard lessons. I always do. I gravitate to those people because I think that people deserve redemption, and I don't know, I believe that wholeheartedly. The mistakes you've made are part of your revolution of you, Like I don't know that you're here looking like this had you not made those mistakes. Yeah, absolutely, were they even mistakes? I was going to say, and I don't say it's data, it's just data.
Speaker 2: It's it's data, it's it was me trying to navigate a relationship that wasn't emotionally aligning, you know, and but wanting it to. Yeah, And I think that's just it. I remember as a kid, I thought my parents knew everything. I thought they were the smartest fucking people on the planet too, because all adults know all, but I don't know shit. Like I know a little bit more than I did when I came out a few years ago, but I still am constantly learning.
Speaker 3: I'm constantly evolving, and I want it to be that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, I don't want to sit here and be like, yeah, I'm an I never make a mistake and I'm an expert on all because I'm not, and anybody claiming to be is a fucking liar.
Speaker 1: I totally agree. And another thing that occurred to me is the other day, I've been feeling kind of down, and I was thinking about the people I've lost, like close relationships over the past year. One of them being my ex husband and another one. You know, that's like killing me. But I also know that like sometimes when you start to get closer to your true self, like as you're growing it, Like I think with my ex husband, like my needing to do things were ruffled him, so it's like he he isn't used to that. So it's like that friendship changed, but it changed because he's not used to me sticking up for myself in that way. I can beat myself up and be like, oh my god, I'm losing him or I'm losing this other relationship, but it's like I think, sometimes it's just because you're being who you are, and it kills me to lose him like that has been one of the hardest heartbreaks of this past year, to not have that best friend anymore in him. But I think sometimes when you start being really authentic, you're going to lose a few people because they liked the old you that conformed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, there's a lot of evolving that's happened with both of you over the.
Speaker 3: Years, and you you.
Speaker 2: Know, just kind of going your separate ways in so many respects, and that's you know, something that I've kind of had to deal with earlier because that happens so quickly. But it's it's helped me a lot in the sense of like figuring it out of my own, leaning on other people, developing better friendships with other people, learning how to fucking do a drywall screw or.
Speaker 3: Whatever the fuck it is. What is it a wall anchor? You know, like all these little things that I used to be like can you help me? And he's say, you know, he still help me with stuff, but not, I don't.
Speaker 2: I just try not to go there anymore, you know, Like I know that I can figure it out myself most of the time, but it is there is a level of like sadness to that. Yesterday was twenty two years since I met wow ex husband, which is just mind blowing, like twenty two years like little tighties. But I'm like reflecting back on that, I'm like, I'm so grateful for that experience like got me where I am today. Both of us shaped us as adults and brought to really great kids in the world. So I always try to like focus on those things rather than being like, oh man, because like, you know, I think you can relate to this too, if like we're both people that love being in relationships, and I wanted that relationship.
Speaker 3: To last forever.
Speaker 1: And it didn't mean too yep.
Speaker 3: But I can be happy about what it did bring.
Speaker 1: Me for sure. Percent. That's a great place to route.
Speaker 3: Look at us, Look at us.
Speaker 1: We still actually feel better. Good. Really? There you have it.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Well it's been a pleasure. Good rest of your weekend, and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: Awesome, all bad. I. I want to support the Lesbian Chronicles podcast.
Speaker 2: Rate us and write a review on Apple podcast or Spotify.
Speaker 1: We love listener feedback. If you'd like to share your story, email us at Melissa and Ali at gmail dot com. That's Melissa M. E. L I s A and Ali A L l I at gmail dot com. Or follow us on Instagram at Lesbian Chronicles