Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. I mean, I just don't understand how this is a thing that doesn't make any sense. Sorry, I didn't mean to start off on a bad Well listen, traffic can suck all the joy out there, Yeah, sigal er. When when you've got a car that won't move out of the number two lane after a fender bender, I don't understand that.
Speaker 2: Plightly moved to the side.
Speaker 3: It's funny because the signs on the freeway always tell me to move over to the side, move to the side.
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 1: This was the second time in last yesterday on my way home, same kind of deal, where it's clearly your your vehicle is still operable, right, and you're just posted in the number two lane just living your life.
Speaker 2: Well, nobody else can live.
Speaker 1: Theirs living your life. But that's neither here nor there. It's over, it's behind us. We're moving on. I have a good story to tell you about today. I actually have not sent it to you. Is someone to surprise you with it? I like that, but we'll do it later. On.
Speaker 3: Okay, later in the ten o'clock hour, we're going to be talking about the LA City Council finally codifying into law, or at least talking about it today. The sanctuary city status of Los Angeles. I think everybody assumed we were already a sanctuary city. California is a sanctuary state. I don't know what they're going to be more sanctuary. It means nothing.
Speaker 1: I mean, right there in the proclamation or what have you, it says, aside from any state or federal law that may be in place, we are a sanctuary city.
Speaker 2: It's all symbolism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But they're going to be talking about it today. We'll hear from Karen Bass, we'll hear from the New the incoming I should say, borders are Tom Holman about what that's going to mean. I mean, for him, it's like that just means nothing. Either help or get out of the way.
Speaker 4: So that's coming up. Listen.
Speaker 3: There is more damaging stuff that's come out about Matt Gates. This is the former Florida congressman who says that he well sorry that Trump has nominated as the next Attorney General of these great United States. It comes with an absolute bag full of horrible allegation cements against Matt Gates. Has never been criminally charged with any of this stuff, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it didn't happen.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Joel Leppard is an attorney who has represented a couple of the women who have made accusations against Matt Gates, and he talked with ABC News about all this.
Speaker 2: What did your client witness?
Speaker 5: She tested on it in July of twenty seventeen at this house party. She was walking out to the pool area and she looked her right and she saw Representative Gates having sex with her friend who was seventeen.
Speaker 2: And at the time he was a sitting congressman.
Speaker 5: I don't know if she was aware of who he was at the time, but at the time, yes.
Speaker 4: Okay, he goes on same interview.
Speaker 5: My client testified to the house that Pernerstanni was a mat Gates did not know that she was a minor, and that when he learned that she was a miner, that he broke off things and did not continue a sexual relationship until she turned eighteen.
Speaker 2: Do we know what time this was around? What year?
Speaker 3: He said, twenty seventeen, twenty seventh party itself.
Speaker 1: So he's my age or a couple years younger, right right around forty three now he is, Yeah, so he's missing, so he would be mid thirties. You know what seventeen adjacent looks like when you are thirty seven years old? Yeah, you know what young is, it doesn't matter, it's semantics.
Speaker 2: Seventeen or eighteen. You know that's a young girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a I mean, the loose definition of too young for you.
Speaker 4: He should be aware of that.
Speaker 1: Acutely goes on and to say what the girl thought about her being a quote unquote victim.
Speaker 4: I didn't hear them.
Speaker 2: You didn't hear that part.
Speaker 1: So he goes on to say when she is asked, were you a victim? And she says it was consensual, both parties consented, and he says, were you a victim? Or she was asked by the committee were you a victim? And she said, that's a complicated question because as a grown woman, you know that you were taken advantage of. If you were seventeen eighteen and a thirty seven year old man had sex with you up against a pool table or what have you like that, there's no way you're not a victim in that situation. Well, I mean, and then she was asked, is this somebody who you would trust? And she said, this is somebody who should never have a great deal of power.
Speaker 3: I mean, we've seen this before in situations like this where even if you ask somebody, if you ask this now, woman, did you feel like you were a victim when this event occurred in the first place. Not to disen franchise this woman from her rights or her feelings.
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter if she feels.
Speaker 1: Like absolutely absolutely illegal case that she that she was right by definition of victim, even if she was into it having a great time as a grown man, you know that that is wrong.
Speaker 3: So the New York Times just posted as the show was starting a report that hackers have apparently gotten that testimony from the woman who said that she had sex with Matt Gates when she was seventeen. Some hacker has apparently gained access to computer file that was shared in a secure link among lawyers whose clients were testifying against Matt Gates.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to push back a little bit.
Speaker 1: If you believe this was a hacking you, I've got some riverfront property.
Speaker 2: Oh as property, not riverfront, but you know what.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, there's no way this You didn't need to be a sophisticated hacker to get this information. There are people that wanted this to come to light, and they made it available.
Speaker 3: The Ethics panel there in the House is scheduled to meet tomorrow and is expected to decide whether or not to vote to release this material that it has gathered. Now, again, it is very unusual for the House Ethics Committee to release a report on someone after they leave the House. Remember, he resigned last week. He resigned from the House, so this would be very unusual for them to do so. But again, when I said it yesterday, Mike Johnson, the Speaker of the House, that he doesn't want to break house rules, he doesn't want to go against precedent. This is an unprecedented thing that this guy being accused of these allegations is now up for Attorney General of the United States, and.
Speaker 1: It's never going to happen, you know, And it'll be interesting to see when he pulls out, because you've got to otherwise this story lingers. It's not going anywhere. Did you see the report about how this attorney said that women told investigators that in twenty nineteen he paid for them to travel to New York for sex in exchange for Broadway tickets to go see Pretty Woman. Yeah, there's also allegations that they have text messages proving this by the way, that they were asked to go have sex with him and then they could go out see a show, so essentially take care of things and later on they could have their fun. There were allegations that he was using his adopted son's Venmo account to pay off some of these women. Yeah, he also paid for these women to travel to the Bahamas, where other men and young women were present, including the woman who said she had that sexual relationship with him when she was seventeen.
Speaker 3: All Right, one of the things that I would fully expect a Republican Congress to look into is a piece of metal fell off the roof yesterday at at and T Stadium in Dallas before that game.
Speaker 2: Is honestly crumbling in Dallas so.
Speaker 4: Crazy they were showing.
Speaker 3: There's pictures of of Dallas's head coach with the play sheet in front of his face like this, and you can see every play very very clearly. Now that doesn't necessarily know you mean, you know what it is, but some of those people can figure out those codes. Pretty much all of them have those Houston Texans won the battle last night thirty four to ten.
Speaker 1: It wasn't really a battle, was it when you look at that broken team.
Speaker 6: C J.
Speaker 1: Stroudn't have the best game, but they're on a weak division, so they're set up nice for the playoffs. What was I going to tell you that was so important.
Speaker 4: Some happy story of some kinds.
Speaker 1: It was, Yeah, that's coming up a little bit later. But oh yeah, Ukraine firing US made missiles into Russia. According to Moscow said it shot down five US made missiles today. This is the first time Biden gave the okay yesterday for the U for the country to use US weapons against Russia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot going on in this, and it seems like it's kind of heating up before Trump comes into office because the sort of prevailing thought is that he's going to demand some sort of negotiated end to this, so they're both trying to grab territory before that comes about.
Speaker 1: It looks like a full rebuild in New York. The Jets have fired their GM this morning as well.
Speaker 3: All Right, we know that the Harris campaign is still asking for money because despite having a billion dollars at one point, they're now in the hole by at least twenty million.
Speaker 2: Could you believe that?
Speaker 1: If you if you donate it, because I'm assuming these emails are going to people that donated to her campaign getting an email from the Harris campaign today asking for money.
Speaker 3: And I mean there are some unusual or I should say unexpected news outlets that are going after the Harris campaign, the Daily Beast being one of them.
Speaker 1: Well, one million dollars was paid to Oprah's production firm for that town hall event that she hosted with Harris in September.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's just for the production end of it.
Speaker 3: The full price tag was more than just the fee for the production company or Oprah. The New York Times said that it was about two and a half million.
Speaker 2: So this is paying for endorsements essentially.
Speaker 4: Well, and is there anything illegal about there?
Speaker 2: No, it just looks bad, just in genuine all.
Speaker 4: Politics looks bad. This just makes it look even bad.
Speaker 1: Error. It was that nine hundred thousand dollars for the ad space on the sphere. Remember we reported to you in the final week of the campaign.
Speaker 3: The talk show host Areva Martin got two hundred thousand dollars as a media consultant as she was touring Swing states for Kamala Harris in October. Roland Martin, who has a streaming show, earned three hundred and fifty thousand in September for a media buy. He told The New York Times it was for advertising that more should have been spent on black owned media.
Speaker 1: The DNC's finance chair says he's going to push for an introspective study and analysis of how the Harris campaign blew through one point five billion dollars.
Speaker 2: Let's just pull the car over for a minute, right there.
Speaker 1: That's disgusting that we spend that kind of money on politics in this country. Well, and one point five billion could do a lot of things.
Speaker 4: We only have each other to look at.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's that we we as a society don't put a limit on how long campaigns last, for example, or you know the Supreme Court ruling regarding money and which money can be spent on these campaigns. This isn't all private donations. I mean a lot of these come in from corporations and everything in these very very rich.
Speaker 1: One point five billion did nothing. It did nothing, It moved, It did not move the needle move.
Speaker 3: Zero needles, not even a billion needles. They That goes to prove a couple of things in my mind that of both of these flawed candidates, she was the more flawed candidate that she was arguing on behalf of an administration that to that point had not served the people it needed to serve to guarantee reelection, I mean reelection in.
Speaker 1: This they ran a bad candidate. They ran a bad candidate. That's just what it was, and that.
Speaker 3: A billion and a half dollars, even a billion a half dollars, was not going to shine that thing up enough to be pretty enough for people.
Speaker 4: To vote for.
Speaker 1: And shine it they did, but there was no substance behind the shine.
Speaker 3: Somebody asked me the other day, and I never had a great answer to it, because, I mean, I still think we're months away from any of this happening.
Speaker 4: But does she run for governor? Or is she hurt by this?
Speaker 3: Is she hurt by the idea that even she's been handed a billion and a half dollars or helped raise a billion and a half dollars, she could not overcome.
Speaker 2: That'll go away.
Speaker 1: When you're a politician, you're a narcissi and you like the attention. And this is what she does. She jumps from job to job, people around you, telling you that this is the way to go. I would be surprised if she ran for governor. But I mean, what is the governor anyway?
Speaker 4: What? What?
Speaker 2: What does the governor actually do? Did I tell you that a cheerleader?
Speaker 4: I saw that.
Speaker 3: Gavin Newsom parentheses, man of the people, just dropped nine million on a house in kent Field.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, you know marine Catholic, Yeah, yeah, a view of Mount tamil Pious just a just a like six thousand people.
Speaker 4: And of the people and people. Where do you get nine million dollars?
Speaker 1: Well, he's right in that, he's right in that climate change train, and it is what he's doing. He's going to make money hand over fist with that game. We've got a woman trapped in a tunnel in downtown LA. Why well why, I don't know. A woman is trapped in an opening leading into a tunnel, can't get out. The fire department has arrived. It's on Bixel Street, fifth and Bixel in LA. She's not in distress, they say, But we've got sleeping grown up Jessica trapped in a tunnel. Grown up Jessica, Adult Jessica.
Speaker 3: Coming up today, Judge one Marshawn is going to hear from prosecutors on the future of President the elect Trump's New York hush money case after he was convicted on those thirty four counts earlier this year. Judge Moreshawn is currently scheduled to sentence him next week, I believe next Tuesday, but that could change now in light of the election win. The top of the hour, we're going to talk more about the La City Council considering adopting the Sanctuary City Ordinance to prohibit any city resources or personnel from being used to help federal enforcement of immigration laws.
Speaker 4: That's coming up.
Speaker 3: Lakers announced that they have commissioned a statue of pat Riley Cool to join Lakers Legends in the Starplaza outside Crypto. He obviously led to four of the five NBA titles in the nineteen eighties. Statue is going to be completed sometime in twenty six and they said they'll have announced an official unveiling date at the time. I can't play all of this because of because of profanities bought and.
Speaker 2: You guys are eating it up like a bunch of liberal lefts when ninety nine percent everything has been blown up.
Speaker 3: He's talking specifically about our opinions on Matt Gates to.
Speaker 4: A giant thing.
Speaker 1: This is a congressman.
Speaker 4: He didn't get vetted. No, he could be a congressman. Hard people could buying into the crab.
Speaker 1: Matt Cage buying out of the crab. That guy is a loser and a bad person.
Speaker 4: Period.
Speaker 3: We we voters, are the ones who vet members of Congress.
Speaker 4: That's that's how it works. They don't go there, you here?
Speaker 2: Were you born this morning?
Speaker 1: Have you not seen all of the pieces of garbage that have been elected to Congress through the years.
Speaker 4: And the idea that Matt Gate is the guy that you back up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you to die on the mat Gates hill.
Speaker 4: Good luck.
Speaker 1: Four monkeys remain free after nearly two weeks of that group of forty three escaped. Four monkeys are saying, you keep your uncrustables. We are not going to fold. We want our freedom, we want our liberty. We are American monkeys.
Speaker 3: But even those four holdouts, I bet you there's one or two that are like man, I could use an uncrustomed Oh.
Speaker 2: I bet all four of them. One I would be feeding them.
Speaker 1: I would take to the woods and find those monkeys and bring a bunch of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
Speaker 3: The latest between Ukraine and Russia involves everyone. This is not an isolated thing. Vlatimer putin. We knew this was coming, that they were going to change their nuclear doctrine. It wasn't necessarily in response to the US made attack ems missiles, but it's not comfortable at all. Vlatimer Putin lowered the threshold for a nuclear strike in response to a broader range of conventional attacks. Specifically, what he said was if a non nuclear participant in a conflict Ukraine uses the weapons of a nuclear participant, even if they're just conventional weapons, I think long range missiles, then that is justification for a response by Russia to be nuclear.
Speaker 4: That's not goodness.
Speaker 6: Both sides are trying to gain an advantage right now in anticipation of potentially negotiations that may take place once the Trump administration assumes office in January.
Speaker 3: So that's Dan Hoffman, a former CIA Chief of Station, and he said this is proof. I mean, what we've seen in the last couple of days is that Russia is losing the war, and if it continues on that trajectory over the next what is it sixty days or sixty five days or whatever before Trump comes into office, it's bad news for Russia because they lose whatever ground they had going into any sort of negotiation.
Speaker 6: Russia suffered hundreds of thousands of casualties. Finland and Sweden are now NATO members. Europe's been awakened from a post Cold War slumber, taking on more of a defense spending burden in their budgets. This is a loss for Vladimir Putin. He has failed to topple the government of Ukraine and subjugate the government of Ukraine as he wished. The only thing Putin has successfully done is this rhetorical nuclear brinkmanship, because he knows that President Biden goes back to this human missile crisis idea that we're going to be at risk of a nuclear war, when Putin is playing the KGB game and influencing his enemy very effectively. We should have done this on day one and given Ukraine the authority to make those decisions themselves.
Speaker 1: Russia and the US control eighty eight percent of the world's nuclear warheads, and yes, comparable to the nineteen sixty two Cuban missile crisis. We all learned about it in school, right, very tense time. This is when we came closest to intentional nuclear war with Russia. And the diplomats for Russia say, the West is making a mistake if you think Russia is going to back down with this Ukraine conflict.
Speaker 3: While this is going on, while this is being ratcheted up, and the level of deterrence, I guess continues. There are sounds of cannon fire and rocket artillery throughout Sweden, the UK, and France. Other NATO members are conducting live fire drills this month in that area, part of NATO's largest artillery exercise ever held in Europe. It's called Dynamic Front twenty five. It includes drills that they'll be doing in Estonia, Germany, Romania and Poland, many of those that border Ukraine. At least five thousand soldiers are involved.
Speaker 2: So far, would you like your nice story, Let's do that next?
Speaker 4: Okay? Is it really nice? Or just like, well, that's good?
Speaker 1: I mean, don't get your hopes up, don't get crazy. Travel writer Arthur Fromer loved his books. He started with his guidebook Europe on five Dollars a Day. He was ninety five years old died from complications of pneumonia. He self published the first Europe on five Dollars a Day back in nineteen fifty seven. It was an expanded version of A Guy, a guide he had written for American soldier stationed overseas. It was an immediate bestseller. He basically was Rick Steves before Rick Steves, telling Americans to skip five star hotels and seek out modest, family run places where ordinary Europeans stayed when they traveled. His advice coincided with the rise of fast and affordable jet travel.
Speaker 4: It's too bad.
Speaker 3: A couple more potential cabinet positions have been announced. President elect Trump expected to nominate veteran Wall Street guy Howard low Nick to lead the Commerce Department. Lutnick is currently chief executive of Canter Fitzgerald, the financial services firm. It's become a pretty close ally of the President elect. Top contender to lead the Treasury Department has also most recently been the co chair of the President Elect's transition team. The other one is Sean Duffy, apparently going to be the nominee to be the Secretary of Transportation Sean Duffy from.
Speaker 1: Real World Boston, Real World Boss, nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 4: I didn't remember that.
Speaker 2: I didn't either.
Speaker 1: An update on the carrot death. The person in Li County who died from the E coli carrots. That person was over sixty five and had other things going on, so it wasn't just the bad carrots.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it takes a I mean E coli is nasty.
Speaker 3: But like I said, when you had it, I think you would have been fine if you had taken my or I would have died had.
Speaker 1: I not Not likely, medical intervention not likely. I don't even think it would have been a close call. You probably would have felt awful.
Speaker 2: You're just trying to yourself of attempted murder.
Speaker 4: No, no, negligent homicide.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've looked it up. I had, trust me. I was a little worried.
Speaker 2: Okay, I want to hear the story about Earl Guines.
Speaker 4: Is this in the good one? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, Earl Earl Guins always love, always loved a Camaro.
Speaker 2: What young man doesn't.
Speaker 1: Yes, And when he was twenty two, Earle finally got the opportunity to purchase his dream car.
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 1: It was that nineteen sixty seven Chevrolet Camaro, blue white stripes down the hood, down the back, two doors, of course, that wing window on the side.
Speaker 3: Two doors by the way, one of which probably weighs as much as your car right now.
Speaker 2: Car was loud.
Speaker 1: People would always look at Earle, you know, you'd see somebody side eyeing you as a car would come down the street. Earl says, it was just such a cool fun thing. But then life happened for Earl. He got married nineteen eighty two, he becomes a father to her daughter, Jennifer. Two years later, they welcome their son named Jared. So he's got two little ones at home, and the Camaro just didn't make sense. So he had to part with his expensive toy and he sells it. And Jared remembers his dad saying to him all the time, I used to have a car like that one over there. And Jared'd be like, yeah, okay, all right. He'd like, no, really, I let it go for diaper money. You needed diapers, And Jared's like, I just thought he was full of it.
Speaker 2: I Mean, here's my dad driving around a mini van and a tank top.
Speaker 1: Of course he's going to say that he's like the guy at the end of the bar talking about the high school championship.
Speaker 2: But over the years Jared got co Yeah.
Speaker 1: Over the years Jared got older and realized that that that story was real. Dad really did have that Camaro, that nineteen sixty seven Marina blue Camaro SS three P fifty small block V eight and automatic three speed transmission, chrome fifteen inchmag wheels with white letters on the tire, small nineteen sixty nine style cowl hood on the front, small little whale tail on the back, in black interior.
Speaker 2: He got all those details.
Speaker 1: If Dad get that detail, then man, that car had to exist. And so Jared kind of started up with a fantasy of maybe we.
Speaker 2: Could get this car back. Twenty twenty one rolls around.
Speaker 1: Jared has a great year at work, great business year, and he said, instead of doing something responsible like paying down debt or investing it, I did what any guides man would do. I started looking for this specific car or to get as close as I possibly could. He learned his dad had sold the car for cash, so no proof of a sale. He just began looking for a car like this one. Spent a year looking coast to coast, and in twenty twenty two he finally got a lead. There was a Marina blue camera Camaro just seventy miles from home, but it needed a lot of work, a lot of TLC. But like father, like son, he knew how to fix up a car. So for two years he worked to restore this Camaro, kept it a secret from.
Speaker 2: Dad the entire time.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: So on Dad's sixty fifth birthday this year, he throws a party and he unveils the Camaro that was his dad's, that his dad gave up when he was born.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: That he refurbished himself, and as you can imagine, Dad.
Speaker 2: Just was moved to tears.
Speaker 1: Earle says, it draws attention everywhere you go. I love it. I can't wait to keep restoring it. He spent his career in the automotive industry and now in retirement, happy to get his hands dirty again on his first Camaro.
Speaker 2: Very very cool, that beautiful.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 2: I was trying to make you cry on your son's twenty fifth birthday.
Speaker 3: Uh, it didn't work, but it would be great if my son took my dad's nineteen sixty five chevs.
Speaker 1: I see now I've had this vision ever since I knew this existed, and that your son was at the property looking at the vehicle, and it all played out the Hallmark movie all played out in my head.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful ending, and you do cry. And the end of that one, it's.
Speaker 4: Not cry, I'm not tears, is just raining.
Speaker 2: It's allergies.
Speaker 4: It's allergies. Everything is an allergy.
Speaker 3: The La City Council and their decision today about whether or not to declare itself a sanctuary.
Speaker 1: City, not even a little bit a little bit of what that story got you. A little bit the crying, I mean you're crying inside a little bit, probably bawling.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.