Speaker 1: And welcome to Cindy Stumpo Toughest Nails on WBZ. And I'm here tonight with Samy, of course, and our guest is who want to introduce yourself? And you want me to introduce you because you have a beautiful voice.
Speaker 2: My name is Darnelle Alexander.
Speaker 1: And like I said, he's got the beautiful voice, you have a yellow Nay.
Speaker 2: No, well it's happened. But I'm very stoic in that sense where I don't do a lot of yelling and screaming.
Speaker 1: Darryl, tell my listeners who you are, Darnell, I said, Darnelle, I said, Darryl oh Donald.
Speaker 3: She changes everyone's name.
Speaker 1: Michelle get used that that's called that's called metopause. Brain. Go ahead.
Speaker 2: So my name is Darnelle Alexander and I'm an R and B singer, but more so a K crooner. So I love to sing ballads, love ballads specifically. Was spotted on TikTok last year in May for singing in a garage singing Luther Vangels covers acapella, and that kind of started this whole trajectory of me being kind of like a rebirth for an artist to come back out and show the world what I really do.
Speaker 1: And then I found you and I said, I need you on my radio show. We're in thirty eight states, right, And I love when people say, oh, you're a podcast. No no, no, no no, I'm still a national radio show. Okay, you got the podcast that you're building, right bye.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you something, Cindy, what honey. So I'm looking at the stickers in the back that say jam in ninety four five, and you know, I have a history of doing jingles, and I don't know if you guys remember that jingle more Music in the morning, jamm in ninety four five.
Speaker 1: Yes, why do I remember that?
Speaker 2: Because I do those?
Speaker 1: You do those? So you do those germ in ninety four to five out of what state?
Speaker 2: So the company that does all the jingles for worldwide it is called Real World are ee L.
Speaker 1: So you're doing them for Boston Gym in ninety four point five.
Speaker 2: So these have all been done years ago, but they repeat them, you know, they play them over a certain period of time for syndicated radio shows. But I just looked at that and I was like, yeah, that I remember the jingle I did for them, more Music in the morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Germ in ninety four or five. We've been here for god how many thirty years. Germ in ninety four, Richie balls Will owned your gam and so we got to go back at least that far.
Speaker 2: Well, at least in the late nineties when I started doing yeah, yeah, that's cool stuff. Goodn to see you.
Speaker 1: Instagram. I don't know how. I don't know how. Let me tell you what else you tell her? I don't know. Good.
Speaker 2: So, after I had this whole craziness on TikTok, I went I think I got three point whatever million views, three million views on the so amazing Acapella. Then it somehow migrated over to Instagram, and then Dion Cole the comedian posted it on his page, and then all help broke loose and all kinds of celebrities and people started seeing it, like Julie ol white Ercle. I was like, bro, you posted me on your story. This is this is real life. Now let me get ready for what else, whatever else is coming.
Speaker 1: So you think that's how I saw it through that.
Speaker 2: I think I think that. So basically with social media, it's really cool, right. So it's like you remember the old commercial and I know you fill me on this one. You know that it's that parrel or whatever, that shampoo, and you know and so on and so on and so on and so on, and she told her friends and so on. Yes, yes, herbal essence is more of like a romantic, sexy sentual.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, you're right, hair product and so on.
Speaker 2: I do have quite a I do have quite a bit of knowledge on commercials and stuff, so I pay attention to all these things.
Speaker 1: So random, and then I reached out to you, obviously, and I said, yeah, I need you on my show, right, And that's how it starts, right, like anything else, which I'm stamp my producer do, right, but I don't I just go out and say and I screenshot it and I say, ross chase this man. I need them. I want them on, right, because if I can help give somebody that I think me personally has something to offer out there and give them free advertising, I'm gonna do that, right. So you just blew me away on that that song, and then I went I started. Then I started to follow you, and I started listening to one after the other after the other, and I said, Wow, this guy is so talented. What a voice, right, And I don't know. I was like literally, you know, it was one after the other stament. You know how you get addicted to something and you're like, okay.
Speaker 2: Going down the rabbit hole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like when I watched somebody look at my stuff on Instagram. There are people that go absolutely postal, right, and you can see that they've looked at twenty two wheels, right or whatever, because it shows.
Speaker 2: Up, Cindy. Know, when we're looking at the reels that you make, we're just you know, they're either dreaming or they're saying this will be a reality, and.
Speaker 1: They look at my reels, right, So that's right, that's right. It's like I call my you know my mine's kind of like pornography for houses, right, like right, yeah, you know house porn. Can this be you know, my life one day?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: So I'm hoping to give something. Absolutely it can be anybody's life, right, you just gotta.
Speaker 3: Go now, our algorithm is going to be porn.
Speaker 1: Now our phones try to say point, I'll have point on my phone now, right. We didn't really, we didn't really just say porn Apple, like we sent house. We said houses, show me houses, lots of houses. But it's look If you can make a difference in people's lives, that's great. If you can't, you can't, that's also what it is. But I mean, there's not too many women doing what I've been doing for thirty seven years out there. Let's just call that what it is. Right, So I get all the I get all the terrible young guys like that are in their thirties that go, oh that's a terrible buddy. What kid? Shut up before I come to this phone. I break your face as you have a vanity that doesn't look like it came out of home depot. I don't even know where it came from, right, Like it came from some I don't know.
Speaker 2: But arts and crafts.
Speaker 1: It's just glow with right. And I'm like, but you really take a shot at me, like really, like come on, don't play, don't play. And the funny part about my social media is the white boys come after me hard, but the black guys protect me. They're like, oh, I see we've got some mummy issues going on here, right. And it's so funny because they'll send me messages and say, don't listen to these things. You know, they don't they don't see your tenacity. Don't see your fire in your eyes. I don't know why because they'll say, oh, she's an influencer, Oh she she her daddy built the business. No daddy built this business. No husband build this business. But there's a difference. And we see it completely on my social media, completely on my social media. And they're young guys. They're like, miss Stumble. Don't listen to those boys like they don't know what a hard day's day or whatever.
Speaker 2: It's just because you know, when you see, you know, real recognizes real. So when you got these little boys, they just have so much more to learn before they can get to that real point.
Speaker 1: Well, can we slap them in the back of the head.
Speaker 2: Maybe, Yeah, I think you could.
Speaker 1: Because I'll always say, look, kid, listen, I'm going to give you one more opportunity to back it down and then I'm going to masculate you. Right. And then one guy writes, do you always read your your comments? I go, yes, buddy, this is a sport for me. So when I go back, it's a sport like I'm bored. It's eleven o'clock. And then I'm like, I let me go fight with some guys on here, right, Let me put them in their place. I don't know why I still do that, but it's actually it is fun to me. So tell us what else is going on? Well, tell us your story. Who you are?
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh my gosh. So my story goes back into the the early nineties. You know, I've been doing well. I've been singing since I was in middle school, but then I started getting into the real stuff, producing my own material in the early nineties when Teddy Riley and New Jack Swing came out, and you know, Johnny Gill and all those cool artists like that, and ever since then, I've been going at it. But yeah, I'm from Seattle, Washington originally such a beautiful city. Don't know how I made it here to Minnesota, but I did. Probably It's a lot less rainy and a lot more sun, so I'm not going to complain. And you always try to find the brightness in everything.
Speaker 3: I have a ton of friends from Minnesota and they are all like the nicest, most polite people you've ever met. And they all work hard, all of them.
Speaker 2: They all work hard. Everyone hears about their business.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we ut been to Boston. People too much chowder, maybe too much legal.
Speaker 3: Childa so my friends that are from the Midwest, they say that they like wave to people here in the street, people because I'm like, what are you looking at me for?
Speaker 1: What are you waving to me? Why are you staring at me?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, wait wait no, it's probably like this. They go, what are you looking at? It is Boston? What are you looking at? What are you looking at?
Speaker 2: That's hilarious. What are you looking at?
Speaker 1: What are you looking at? Darn all? That I thought was going to go with a break. We'll be right back. I'm Sin Stumpo, and you listen to Toughest Nails in WBZ and We'll be right back. And welcome back to Toughest Nails. I'm Cindy Stumpo and you listen to WBZ News Radio ten thirty. Sammy Darnell, that's a beautiful song. What is that?
Speaker 2: What if?
Speaker 1: What is what is that?
Speaker 2: What if? What if? What if? What if?
Speaker 1: What did you write that?
Speaker 2: No? So there's a kid he's like twenty six years old, twenty five years old from here Minneapolis, and his dad used to be signed to Flight Time Records, Bob Johnston, and so they linked up with me through Instagram and we're making music together.
Speaker 1: Amazing what social media can do when it's you, isn't it?
Speaker 2: It really is? You know, really, if you want to manifest something, just you know, instead of scroll that word, but listen, but listen to this. Look, we're creating reality, right. So you know, when I scroll through Instagram, I'm looking for bits of inspiration, bits of uh, you know, information that I can use to create something new, versus just versus the scroll because I'm bored. I want to try to use my time as wisely as possible. And so then I ran into him and I was like, let me messg this guy and say, you know, you're cool, your music is unique, what's what's what's cracking? You know?
Speaker 1: So he does the same thing I do. So he's looking to move his creative juices, right and when I haven't, you know, just some of those days and nights that I just can't bring the designs together, Like my brain is looking at just like a white wall and nothing's coming to it. Because all these houses that we build, I don't have an architect that designs them. I'm down to the door, not buddy like. So is that times that you just need those inspirational photos? It might not be something that I like, but there might be something in there that then we creates my brain to go.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: You're always trying to make the next best album. Absolutely, That's what I'm always trying to do, right.
Speaker 2: I'm always trying to best my best.
Speaker 1: That's just a personality. What's your birthday sign?
Speaker 2: I'm a libra.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I'm a cancer so and she's an aries.
Speaker 2: See it's all good. It mashes really good.
Speaker 1: Here it matches. So now you're making music together November October.
Speaker 2: I'm in September twenty seventh.
Speaker 3: Why they're different, they.
Speaker 2: Are, they say, you know, depending on how earlier or late.
Speaker 1: He's put a light of virgo all day. He's partly crazy. All my virginal friends are crazy. See he knows he's crazy, so keep going.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, but you know, gosh, I mean, you know. So, I used to be in an R and B group back in the nineties called Second Nature right and we did Acapella AR and B. So we were touring and doing little stuff with Boys to Men and groups like that Patty LaBelle and did the BT stage, which was scary as heck because you know you're on TV, but you don't know who's watching, but you know everybody's watching.
Speaker 1: Bet right absolutely back in the day, yeah, back.
Speaker 2: In the day, right, And it was midnight Love, so you know, they kind of featured our song and we did a live performance.
Speaker 1: What it sound like?
Speaker 2: It sounded amazing.
Speaker 1: Let me let's see.
Speaker 2: Oh you mean like, can you show me?
Speaker 1: No, yeah, you can show me, and.
Speaker 2: You showe me? Will you show me the way to a hot show?
Speaker 6: Baby?
Speaker 2: Can you show me? Will you show me the way to your hot I'm singing really soft.
Speaker 1: I know with that Wake the baby, but but he's got nothing playing behind him right now. He's just sitting here and singing, just singing, just singing.
Speaker 2: But we so that was like our little theme song, you know, a slow love song ballad.
Speaker 1: And where are we going from here? Like what what you have conscience coming up?
Speaker 2: Oh? This is crazy. So as a result of the whole TikTok thing, right, this is like, you know, I've kind of been out of the loop for many years. And then I said no, I'm just going to go in the garage and sing a little bit of a cappella posted on TikTok, and then from there people were like, yeah, we want to book you. Like, come out here, come and sing. I'm like, you guys haven't even seen my stage show. You guys just want me to come out. I'm like, I'll be happy too. So from there, you know, it hasn't even been a yet, and I've done a few performances in Redondo Beach, Long Island, Vegas, and the Apollo Theater in New York and The Grateful. I'm just grateful to write the Apollo Theater. I'm like, what is this life? This is great. Let me just believe in everything that is possible.
Speaker 1: And then if people want to hire you, obviously, Let's say somebody's I'm having a wedding for Samantha and I can afford to bring you in, and you want to come in? Will you do those type of acts?
Speaker 6: Or you?
Speaker 1: Am I manifest Yeah? Am I manifesting that you're going to get married soon?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean I'm.
Speaker 1: Also manifesting them twenty three and I'm five to eleven and I'm just like a supermodel. But that's not happening. Hold on, maybe it's gonna happen. I don't know. I don't really understand that word. I can faceto that, Yeah, I can AI can make it for me?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm watching Michael Jackson. All these actors get older and old and older, and they're all dead. Like this is the greatest thing. Like you take a picture, you take a picture of your great great grandfather and in war clothes and make them alive. Like it's spooky, it's scary, it's weird, it's awesome. Though, it's pretty awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, the thing is with all the greats like you mentioned, like Michael Jackson and all these great legends that are disappearing, that's really my whole goal and drive right now is to kind of insert myself back in so you can still have a few left before there's no greats and nobody's singing you know, really good love ballads and music that really means something to people's hearts and souls.
Speaker 1: But do you see, Darnell that these young kids they are dancing to seventies and early eighties music. Yeah, they just got their own dance to it. But me and I'm watching these two kids right and they like act like it's the first time they heard Journey or Aerosmith, right, like right, whoa, whoa, And they listen to the beats, and they're like, we had the best music, and I think you might be younger.
Speaker 2: Than me in the eighties and nineties were the best.
Speaker 1: See I didn't like nineties. I'd like, is more like dance a lot of So there must be there must be ten years. How old are you? So we're five years apart? But nineties to me was like the worst music because I came out of that as a young teenager seventies and then graduating high school in eighty two. Right, and then the world changed around eighty four music, right, and you have the big herebeans. But when you well, you got hip hop came out, and then hip hop that's what and then you know then all that you know, but every we had soft rock. Think about this. We had rock and roll, we had heavy metal, right, we had disco, We had from Carol King, James Taylor to you know, Ozzy Osbourne, Aeros. I mean, what didn't we have? You want to cry? You put this song on, you want to get ready to get pumped out? You listen to chic freak Out, you know what I mean? Like we're going out, it's a same night. Let's play the disco if you want to just listen to you know, rock and roll, whatever, Smith, Rolling Stones, whatever it was. We had a great variety of lyrics and music. Then we went down a avenue that the music got to me. Music I wasn't really wanted to listen to my kids obviously did I'm like, okay, your mother does your dad and yeah, this is not for me.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And a good friend of mine you might know the name Charlie Walk. He was the president of our republican epic. Okay, he was right, So he was was Tomy Mattola, Donnie Iron or the show that it was Charlie Walk. Then Tommy got fired, Then Donnie Isy wentz that position and Charlie went that position. Charlie was just in the studio last week and he said that music is going underground and we'll resurface again. But if you notice, you know, the kids playing guitars in garages, that's coming back too, and you want to see that come back. I want to see that come back. Social media.
Speaker 2: It's the beautif social media, and they want the reality to come back. They want to see people bringing it literally into their homes.
Speaker 1: But Donald, you watch these kids And I picked this up through COVID. The roller skating never came out of the urban communities, right, But I grew up roller skating right and round, around and around and around and dancing and spinning and trill and everything. And now you see these kids doing it again and it's not it's great. And then you see them collaborating out there, you know, on the on the boardwalks down on the west coasts. It's unbelievable. It's unbelievable to watch that again. So of course I had to order pereer roller skates.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So I'm in the lower level. That's a good idea. I'm in the lower part of my office. I'm like, let me try this all right, Now, that was a really good roller skater, right, Like, okay, this is not so good anymore. And I'm like on the rug and I'm like, maybe I should try this outside? The rays going maybe you should, and I'm like, no, maybe I should. Then I went outside. I'm like, okay, I need to buy better roller skates. That's the But it's not really me. It's the roll skates. I'm going to spot send a lot of money on roll skates.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, there's houses that you can roller skate, and I'm sure you've been in for you.
Speaker 1: Yes, I can roll scan everyone in my house is it'd beautiful. And I can roll skate in the hockey rings that I build in my houses right and I'm gonna do that right now because we're building one right now for a client, and I'm gonna take my roll skates. I'm gonna rolls skate around. But I mean, your your voice is just incredibly beautiful. So that's my question. If Sammy got married, I can hire you or you don't do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can do that.
Speaker 1: So you do do weddings? What else do you do?
Speaker 2: I haven't done any, but I well, you know, before I not yet, before I resurfaced into this world, I had done weddings in my you know, early twenties, mid twenties.
Speaker 1: All that thought. Again, we gotta go for a break. I'm Sidy Stumple. You listen Toughest Nails on WBZ. We'll be right back and welcome back to Toughest Nails on WBZ. And I'm Cindy and I'm here with Sammy, and I'm here with Donell. Donell. That's you again, singing, buddy, that's your voice.
Speaker 2: But I know it's so good and I don't wait.
Speaker 1: So when you listen to your own voice like that, yeah, you pick it apart? Do you go? I have a beautiful voice? Like what is? What do you say? Like? I hate my voice? So me too? You hate your voice?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't like listening to it. Okay, I don't like to listen to you have voice either.
Speaker 2: When I hear it, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Feel it's so mutual.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of people don't like voice.
Speaker 1: We're arguing right now. Don't know if you have a notice. Okay, you can't step with mother and daughter arguing. We don't like that. I don't like her voice was like mine. We'll just go to text each other. Okay, we're never gonna call you still sound like a cartoon character. She does sound like a cartoon character.
Speaker 2: But literally, people don't like to hear their voices back, right, But so when I do recordings, I make sure it's great so that when I do hear it back like on a showl like this, I'm like, yeah, you know I did my job. I did a good job.
Speaker 1: So you know you have a beautiful voice.
Speaker 2: I love the sound of my voice, especially you know, if I've got like all.
Speaker 1: My plush your hands, so too, hold on plus plus your hands. Do you ever like listen to DJ's through your years and they had the most beautiful voices. Then you met them in person, you went, yikes, whoa you ugly?
Speaker 3: That's why they were That's why they're Wow.
Speaker 2: Look, I don't have anything to do with this, but I know that when they're on the radio and they've got that smooth jazz voice said ninety nine point five FM, it's a great thing to hear in your ear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we just don't want to see you, okay, Sammy, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe I should do radio then if you if I've got both, you.
Speaker 1: Do, and you should because you have a radio voice obviously, right, so okay, but go ahead.
Speaker 2: But then that would like be exciting as well, right you know, Hey, you know they're like I heard this voice on the radio. But wait, there's more we had.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you remember was named Dave Bouche, David Alan. Do you remember that?
Speaker 2: That's really familiar?
Speaker 1: I mean I went to bed every night listening to him put me to sleep, like on Magic one of six point Saturday, David Alan Bouchet. To this day, no one's ever seen his face and by the way, one of six point seven isn't here, right, No one of six point seven was with when we would CBS radio. Still never met him, Like he's the man behind the black screen, right, like, no one's Yeah he was tired, but you know we only I literally stars hat literally went to bed every night bedtime Magic fell asleep. Wait, I mean that's when you put a radio on, you know. I mean like you literally had your turntable. I had, I got my dad was generous. I had the whole setup, like, yeah, stack stacked the whole stack, three things right, stacked up. But yeah, I mean I went to sleep like that, right. So but this generation doesn't understand that they have the attention span of a fleet, right. But our music was just better and yeah, and that and probably that was the attraction. When I heard you sing, I was like, that's a good I love that, you know. I was just blowing away, So go ahead talk to me.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, and that's my whole thing is I want to keep that better music still in the forefront of the mainstream world of R and B music and jazz. So the new single that I released was produced by Dennis Atkinson Junior and Dennis Bettis and they are a manifestation. I know you love that word of what I've been looking to achieve musically, So, you know, bring the better lyrics in the vocals and the vocal arrangements and the music altogether to create a good sound that reflects who I am as a person, but also who I am as a vocalist. And the song amazing does that. We released that just a little while ago and been promoting that ever since.
Speaker 1: So can we hear that song?
Speaker 2: Yes we can. I can no misspeakfore.
Speaker 6: Yep, the things that I be, So when it comes to that, I'll talk for the whole night through.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 6: Oh then it said, may.
Speaker 1: I okay, now hold on for one second. Okay, we're on the phone right now. Hold on.
Speaker 2: That's Teddy Pendergrass.
Speaker 1: Not the tp A.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought i'd take this, Teddy, I'm getting around. The request for songs said, I thought, this is a challenge ring here, so let's go. Wait it.
Speaker 1: Fucking batter.
Speaker 2: Oh my, yes, I guess.
Speaker 6: The shad is some tennis.
Speaker 5: Killing it all myself time and time again.
Speaker 2: It's time I'm gonna win.
Speaker 5: I don't know the fun ain't sing honey, I'm going again takes a full times once start at again.
Speaker 2: I think I'm beast ready go mm hmm.
Speaker 5: Looks fucking another than naughty.
Speaker 1: K Okay, come on, brother, like that is bad to the bone. Okay, now we're gonna play your original song.
Speaker 4: Is there anybody on there? O? Yes, somebody? Somebody tell me why?
Speaker 1: Ay?
Speaker 2: No one tries to stay in love anymore. It's like everyone has an excuse. But that would never.
Speaker 4: Be a girl coach just so amazing.
Speaker 5: One of the kinds a love.
Speaker 4: I swear.
Speaker 2: Step coming, Namenge.
Speaker 4: Gone my heart.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's why you're getting people. Okay, you want to hear that song? How do people download that song, whether.
Speaker 2: It's on Spotify, iTunes, in any of the platforms that you may listen.
Speaker 1: To, and how the download's been.
Speaker 2: They've been great. Yeah, And you know, I threw a little video out there just to kind of get people and a roll up what I'm feeling when I sing the song.
Speaker 1: And that's the last one on your Instagram, I'm going to say, right the last post the hold I'm just in here.
Speaker 2: It's like red background, Oh.
Speaker 1: The red background, hold on, I gonna see it.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like your music's coming out for the first time.
Speaker 2: All over again, right seriously.
Speaker 1: So, Sammy, I want people to also follow Darnell on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's under Darnell Alexander music with Darnell with one l as posted on the screen.
Speaker 1: Spell it for people, because.
Speaker 2: Because people will get lost if they're looking for and you know what else, Indy, I know you probably run into this too. All the impostors out there.
Speaker 1: Oh Jesus with your name is ridiculous. Crazy. I had, I had a woman, UH send me, and I can't reach you. I can't. That's why I gave you myself phone right number, because I can't keep up my messages on this how many platforms. It's ridiculous, it really is. But she called and she yelled. She was like, not called. She literally yelled at it popped on my phone. So if it pops down on my phone, I can see it right away. If I'm on the phone and she had capitaliz you gave me the wrong color paint. I'm like, lady, who are you? I didn't know. All the messages from her, like lady, who are you? Well, you gave me no I never spoke to you. I have no messages. Here, I go, what are you talking about? You told me it was Ben Moore. But no, ma'am, I don't know who you were talking to. I think you're talking to the wrong Sidney Stumbo. No I was talking to. Is there a blue check market next to that person's name? Then she said, wait and no, I'm so sorry that I yelled at you. I'm like, get off my page. All that thought we're going to break. I'm Sidney Stumble and listened to Toughest Nails on WBZ. Will be right back and welcome back to Toughest Nails on WBZ. And this is Ciddy Stumpo And I'm here with Sammy and I'm here with beautiful Darnell with the most beautiful voice. I literally listened him all the time. He just doesn't like he's in my bedroom every night. He just doesn't know he's in my bedroom every night because he is Okay, what are you got coming up? Anyways?
Speaker 2: So in May eleventh, Mother's Day, I'm going to be in Redondo Beach, California, doing a tribute show. So there'll be a couple of other artists. One guy is doing Teddy Pendergrats I believe and then Aretha Franklin, so it should be a really powerful vocal show for those folks down there in California.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you I would look into some of the Boston venues that we have here, Like I'll text you a couple of places, let's do it that brings this this type of entertainment to Boston. And also want to hook you up with Dave from All the All, so he brings back a lot of the disco. I've had a you know, open up for a lot of those events. For God, in the last ten years. I've opened up for so many. But Sister Sledge and all those they all get together and they do their down in Bulkert in Boston, and and you you just can't believe the young people that come. I can't believe it. So I think for like Samantha's first of all, I had sa me at twenty three, so that's young. So she's you know, I got married at twenty and I had her twenty three and my son in twenty eight, So they grew up on my music. So I think these kids that grew up on just like I grew up. My parents were big Motown lovers, right, Johnny mathis Motown. So I wasn't listening to Elvis Presley in my house, right. They weren't an Elvis Presley fan. They were Diana Ross, Movin Gate, Tammy Terrell. The Spin is the fourth tops I keep going, right, So of course when I hear that music, you know, the intruders, I'll always love my mama, right, Like that's like that song will live on for generations of my family, all for my dad.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: My kids love it. But when I hear that music, it puts me in a good place, and probably when my kids hear my music, which is also my parents' music, with them in a good place.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So I'll get this all the time on my stories, and my stories would go from five thousand to twenty five thousand every story I post nothing under five thousand. Do you're got me a message I get? Oh my god, I forgot about that song, or oh my god, miss Stumpo, I used to hear that song in my mom My mom and dad used to that song, or my mom played that song. Like I literally get so many messages on the music because I'll only put older music with my stories. That's it. You're not getting any new stuff. With my note. You can have new stuff. The old stuff goes just that's who I am, that's I'm not going to be someday I'm not right. So it goes from disco to votetown to soft rock to the era that I love the best right now again, I'm a cancer. We don't like change, right, So that's just what it is. But it's still shocking when they say, like, there was a song I put on recently. Check it out by Tavaris. You know that song? Check it out? Have you ever heard that song? Check it out by Virus?
Speaker 2: But I probably have.
Speaker 1: If you need a strong hand to get you through the night, a strong hand, yeah, just take your thing right now and just find check it out by Tavarus. Okay, just check and you know it's just like, wow, I can't how did you remember that song? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But if you hear it, you remember it real fast. But Tavarus was all over you know, say night Fever or you know, they were they go, but they were they were a huge hit Toavirus. They were you know. But but people say to me, where did you how did you remember that song? But I just do write. I can't remember what a for breakfast, or where my glasses are or where my phonus.
Speaker 3: But I can sing every remember like history, facts and facts. But you remember lyrics to songs you don't and you couldn't write them. You can only sing them when you you I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, like I can remember every lyric to every song that I've ever loved from probably the age of seventy years old.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: And my father's just say to me, why can't you learn your schoolwork the way you learn songs different? Because I love it exactly. So by fast, Okay, we're going to figure out how I can teach you timetables. We're going to sing them to you. I'm like, okay, let's start singing the timetables right like. But for some people they'll never forget a lyric ever, right, And then there are people that can never remember lyrics right. So, well, you dance with people and they're dancing to the lyrics instead to the beat. Dude, go to the beat. Start with the lyrics. It's a combination here going on, is you know?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: I mean, like for me singing and stuff, that's the whole thing is with My whole world was taken over when Luther Vandros was in his heyday, and that's really you know why I have the sound that I do is because it's in my soul. It's in my heart, like just you know, the texture and the tones from his voice. And when I was brought to his concert as a child from you know, my mother brought me there. I'll never forget the way I felt and how it sounded and the experience. And that's what I want to do is bring experience people. You know, I want them to to you know, not just hear good singing, but to be like, oh, be taken back to a place or something that made them feel a certain way.
Speaker 1: Or isn't that what music's all about?
Speaker 2: Though, that's what it really is. It really is. But a lot of times you don't get that music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, okay, so I've said the last mainstream, the last fifteen years of the music that's been out there. I don't know that's going to bring back happy memories. That music gives me anxiety, Like it's for fifteen years, more twenty years, you know. Look at I thought for sure rap was going to be like disco habits run and go right. And then when they dropped disco It's like, what do you mean they dropped disco like it just went out right, It's gone. It was gone, but raps lived on for a very very long time and it'll keep living on. It's just like the old sugar Hill Gangs of Rap and that run DMC all that I loved, you know, but then when it just got really nasty and killing and the lyrics just got so bad.
Speaker 2: Common and Will Smith left for that type of good stuff that people would just want to feel good too when they want to hear some rap music, you know, correct, you know, just to feel good, happy goal.
Speaker 1: And I just want to know this. I have a big question, like who wants that sex to that music? I don't get it, Like I really try to. I say to my son, do you listen that music when you're when you're making loves your girlfriend?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 1: What are you doing slamming each other's heads off?
Speaker 2: I got one song that you can do it too, which one? Hello? Cool Jake? I need love?
Speaker 1: But I just want to know, like do they put this music on? Like you know, like what are you doing?
Speaker 2: It will be the equivalent, It would be the equivalent of making love to a really hard rock song. Have you ever watched The Terminator. Yeah, keep going at it.
Speaker 1: That was strip of music back in the day. Okay, strippers use that poison, use that music for stripping, right heavy metal. That was all stripping music when I was like eighteen, nineteen twenty.
Speaker 2: Somehow they got it in the bedroom. I don't know how.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that's a different type of sex. But I mean, what was better than Marvin Gay and you know, Timie Terrell and Dinah Ross and you know, I keep going and going and you know, smoking Robin. I don't know, like, and that was even before technically my time. Like I said, it was my parents' music, right, But their music was great, So why when I keep the tradition of their music?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: But like I said, I didn't grow up with the Elvis right, And I still will look at his videos today and realize that he wasn't very handsome meal when he was young. I just didn't know it when I was younger. But as my age now, when I look in the last ten fifteen years, I realized he was handsome, but his music just wasn't would have not been my music, And I can understand why it wasn't my parents' music either. But my parents us a.
Speaker 2: Kind of music. It's like we are kind of defined by music and we kind of like, you know, it's almost like clothing, right, you know, there's there's like a different style, fit and brand and style for each person.
Speaker 1: So you have something coming up in.
Speaker 2: Kelly, Yeah, Yeah, Redondo Beach.
Speaker 1: And how big of a crowd you think, you guys will pull it on that one?
Speaker 2: That one is I believe it's like twenty five hundred or three thousand people in that place. But you know, the first time I played there at at the Performing Arts Center in Redondo Beach, it felt like the Apollo Theater. Those people were crazy wild and just like feeling it.
Speaker 1: And now at this stage of the game, yeah, you're going to start now getting out there more again.
Speaker 2: And absolutely really enjoying it now. You know, now at this this stage of my life, it's like I can be more present. I'm more aware of what I'm doing and what's going on in the world, and just you know, when I show up somewhere how much it means to people. It's a different, you know, experience than went out in my mid twenties, you know, with the R and B a cappella groups, and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen, you're your mad twenties. You're also like you got your mind all over the place like a jumping jellybean. You got two heads going. You don't know which head you should be thinking with. If you're out there having a good old time, all that thought it's in my face, got to go to break. This is Cindy Stumbo and you listen to Toughest Nails on WBZ. We'll be right and welcome back to Toughest Nails on WBZ. And I'm here with Sammy and I'm here with Donell Dona. Lets your song, buddy.
Speaker 2: I love that song me too.
Speaker 1: Samu Alay downloaded and she's gonna do sam on my phone and download on my phone too. But tell people how to download that song. Please.
Speaker 2: You can download Amazing by Darnell Alexander on iTunes, Apple Music, Spotify and other streaming platforms. That's Darnell with one L Alexander Donald.
Speaker 1: It was a pleasure having you tonight. And I'm glad to have a new friend. I like having a new friends.
Speaker 2: I'm honored to be on your show and I thank you so much for having me out.
Speaker 1: And I will get you that number. Just send me that high. Like I said, Okay, everybody, have a great, safe weekend. This is Cindy Stumbo toughest nails on WBZ and we will see you next week.