Speaker 1: And now gang Busters.
Speaker 2: Gang Busters, presented in cooperation with police and federal law enforcement departments throughout the United States, the only national program that brings you authentic police case histories.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: Gang Busters presents the case of the Carnival Caper, when robbery rode the Big Show trade until police officers found the mysterious passenger and stopped murder on the Carnival Midway.
Speaker 1: Gang Busters has asked the Honorable Victor E.
Speaker 5: Anderson, United States Attorney in Minnesota, to narrate by proxy Tonight's case. Now, mister Anderson, you told me that the crime in Tonight's case was one of the most extraordinary in modern times. That's right, don God name it was never ascertained exactly in the jurisdiction of which state the criminals finally got their hands on the loot they saw it.
Speaker 6: What do you mean that they got the loot in mid air?
Speaker 7: So to seek mister Anderson, it'll see, don Suppose we start one spring afternoon a few years ago in the city of East Saint Louis, Illinois, A flashily dressed, slightly built man in the middle thirties walked toward a second floor door in an old.
Speaker 1: But nicely kept apartment building.
Speaker 7: He sat on the floor what looked like a brand new suitcase. Then not with a rhythm.
Speaker 1: Why this is the stud back, madam? Let me reduce myself.
Speaker 7: I have here the pl madam might have here. I have here the finest kitchen new council never put on the market.
Speaker 8: You have one.
Speaker 7: It saved you ninety three steps a day, plus one hundred and sixteen separate and distinct motions.
Speaker 1: By a major.
Speaker 8: What's this all about?
Speaker 1: What's it all about?
Speaker 6: It obvious?
Speaker 1: I got myself a keista and three dollars worth of potato. He listen, I'm a business man. How do you like the keysta?
Speaker 8: Oh cookie?
Speaker 1: Look your press a button and lights popping? Yeah see, and that'd some gimmick. You see a crowd gather, you go over boom, you make the pitch and the potato peelers ain't bad?
Speaker 8: Who needs a potato peeler?
Speaker 7: Well, if you fixed a meal around here once in a while, wanted for InHand? Oh yeah, Look, I was walking down Broadway this afternoon. I see a grifter giving us pitch to a bunch of women standing there with their mouths open.
Speaker 1: The Donald Bills was rolling in and the junkie was passing. I wasn't with the time, not a nicko.
Speaker 8: What do you need a keysta for Carnival gets rolling. It's got a good job waiting for you.
Speaker 7: Look, that's just the idea, may I. I decided I ain't going on the road with the shows this season.
Speaker 1: Hey, you want to try one of these potato poers. No, the atomic super Skinner's called great Monka. Lots of sell this morning.
Speaker 9: You will have to get back with the show this afternoon. You've got a keyser and atomic super Skinners five a quick switch.
Speaker 7: Well maybe I I figured five months without you that's.
Speaker 1: Too much for me.
Speaker 8: Cookie, you're such a big liar. They ought to put you in the freak tent.
Speaker 1: Honest, ma, I'm not so bout you. I couldn't stand.
Speaker 8: Why aren't you go out with the show?
Speaker 1: That's the truth.
Speaker 8: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: I ran into Vince Beggs and we had a couple of beers.
Speaker 8: What's he got to do with this?
Speaker 7: Well, Vince has got an idea. He and another guy water or something, you know. No, Well, the idea is, since the show's a big money maker, they're safe in the office.
Speaker 1: Wagon ought to be loaded.
Speaker 7: He figures they could knock it over like that, and some Jake Watertown were playing.
Speaker 8: So you're leaving the show.
Speaker 7: May you know how Vince is if I went out with the show, he'd make me promise i'd do the fingerwork. Well, I ain't going out with the show. I'm through being a rough in the conny. I got a keystroll on.
Speaker 1: I'm a business.
Speaker 8: You could have just said no to Vince.
Speaker 1: Who me, Vince? How can I say no to Vince?
Speaker 5: Look?
Speaker 1: May once was enough. I don't want to get jammed up again. I like the fresh air.
Speaker 7: I don't want to see the inside of note jail house again. Cookie, So I'm through with the show.
Speaker 8: How much they keeping that office wagon safe?
Speaker 7: I don't know at the right time, maybe thirty forty? Look, May, I ain't getting involved.
Speaker 8: Don't you love me?
Speaker 6: What's this going to do with love?
Speaker 8: Cookie?
Speaker 7: Think of all the things we could have, Yes, stripes I could have and about ten years to wash him wall.
Speaker 8: You've got the easiest part of it.
Speaker 1: I know, but look Major pounded it in two weeks.
Speaker 9: I think you ought to go out with the show and do it for Vince and for me after it's over.
Speaker 8: We'll have the time of our lives. Trust you and me, Honey.
Speaker 1: You really think it's okay?
Speaker 8: Sure, it's okay, honey. Now just forget about that keithser and those potato peelers. You are going back with the show.
Speaker 9: And treat him to the biggest stunt that Carnival's ever seen.
Speaker 8: Hello, Vince well, mad Cook, HONEYE wasn't going out with the show?
Speaker 6: Oh say, didn't you talk to him?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 6: I talked to him then, and everything's okay.
Speaker 8: He leaves Tuesday.
Speaker 10: May you row one day?
Speaker 8: Because Cookie does hand stands for me? That makes me a wonder.
Speaker 6: Maybe he row wonder because I say, so.
Speaker 8: Okay, now, what's in this deal for me?
Speaker 6: Figure out what's in it for me? And that's what's in it for you.
Speaker 8: You sure must think a lot of me. Then's making me keep Cookie happy?
Speaker 6: That's a business, baby, have the Cookie example of the show. That's when not that just starts with Cookie in that pitch him with the information thought to be a simple as riding down mainste that's Sunday.
Speaker 8: That's so. So you've got more faith in Cookie than I had.
Speaker 6: Cookie. Jobs easy. All he's got to do is pass along the ope, and keep his mouth shut.
Speaker 8: It's easy keeping his mouth.
Speaker 6: Shut, easy enough after I have a nice long chat with him.
Speaker 8: Who's this walter somebody? What's he in the deal?
Speaker 6: A working man, one of the slickest guys with a safe dialand combination I know.
Speaker 10: And he's going to take a big flye huh.
Speaker 6: He's worth it. Do you want to drink? Baby?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 8: No, let's get out of here.
Speaker 6: How about your place?
Speaker 8: No thanks? Cookie?
Speaker 10: Tone, Okay, I can think.
Speaker 6: Of some place you usn't.
Speaker 1: Let's go, baby, honest me, I don't want to go out with the show.
Speaker 6: If he missed the season of economy, he Diesn't that right? Now?
Speaker 8: Come on, get on the train. Cookie's gonna put out.
Speaker 6: Your eyes open.
Speaker 1: Hey, yeah, there's sure to.
Speaker 6: Keep your mouth shut.
Speaker 1: Good bye, cooking pot. I'm gonna miss your me.
Speaker 8: Don't forget to change your.
Speaker 10: Socksnay, oh.
Speaker 6: Those?
Speaker 1: Let us come on, Cookie, Yeah yeah, I'll keep me coming so long it goes see.
Speaker 6: There goes down missle ticket cree fall, the three balls for the water, not the little.
Speaker 1: Lady off the person into the water. What's the prime? Did you say? What's the pride?
Speaker 8: When you get to see that beautiful.
Speaker 7: Gold in Hey, creature take her back at three balls for a quarter? Ye, I'm buy cooky Hey, then I don't expect to see you and money.
Speaker 1: I listen to tomorrow. Three balls for a quarter, not the little lady into the drinsers.
Speaker 6: The big deal. I just sid this spending more time understand.
Speaker 1: Don't make your social obvious around a lot when you're great. Ball forak quarter? Hop up there fell a three balls for a quarter.
Speaker 6: I got water at the hotel, Henry hate me that a night after the show.
Speaker 7: For listen, Vince, I don't want to go through with this team. I haven't over with the show long enough. I want to go I can't see man, is that yeah? Three months away from this enough. I got to go back home and see it.
Speaker 6: Can't be at the hotel. Then there's a little surprise waiting for him.
Speaker 1: What kind of surprise.
Speaker 6: I know how much you're mismade, so I brought her along.
Speaker 7: Yeah kidding, she's at the hotel. Oh, Vince, you're a pall of real path.
Speaker 6: I'm over after the show's closed, was closed.
Speaker 10: I'm coming now, sick on that job.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a big day soon that ms aging happinger.
Speaker 7: Cause talk but mail, Oh, change three balls, break quarter, Jans, come on, three balls forreak quarter?
Speaker 1: That the little lady off a person in the water. What's surprise? Did you say? What's surprise? Why? You're good to see that deal?
Speaker 6: The go go. They did preach your thinking about three.
Speaker 8: I asked you, Vince, I asked you not to tell him you brought me along.
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 6: I told him he's got to be kept happy. Isn't that right? Water?
Speaker 9: Oh well, I didn't come all the way to Minneapolis to keep Cooky happy.
Speaker 10: Look, I'm just a mechanic and his steel, and I say, we're all in this for the door. We can get out of it. I don't care who's happy. Well is this cookie gang? He'll be here Water when it's nearly twoing of mine?
Speaker 8: What are you in early rises?
Speaker 10: Strangely enough?
Speaker 8: Yeah, all right, safe cracker? Who's an early rise? He is a bit whiny?
Speaker 6: Am I glad to see him?
Speaker 8: All right? Take it easy, nay, baby, oh baby baby, Oh cut it out, Nay.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad to see you. It's been like being a year back. Instead.
Speaker 8: I'm glad to see you too.
Speaker 1: Oh here Cookie, Oh hi, Ben, come on, baby excs great seeing you, ye high water. What do you say we all go out and get a few drinks.
Speaker 7: Ow, you got a lot of talking to do, Cookie, talking with We can talk anytime.
Speaker 8: Let's just talk.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, talking right?
Speaker 6: What's the schedule, Cookie?
Speaker 7: Well, the show train gets loaded Sunday morning, pulls out later in the day.
Speaker 1: We open the Witch of the Kansas Tuesday.
Speaker 6: What about the stops?
Speaker 1: Well, the face one's scheduled for Farmington, May Arnington.
Speaker 6: Where is that still in Minnesota?
Speaker 7: They got a water and feed the MANATCHI I guess the train will lay on the side in the couple of hours.
Speaker 10: And there's the office wagon still ride on a flat tower up near the front?
Speaker 1: Didn't I right to hear dead?
Speaker 6: They could have changed it sometime during the season.
Speaker 1: Well, if they changed it, I wouldn't have written here, wouldn't I made?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, we'll be in Farmington when your show train pulls in a All right, would you aller any places?
Speaker 1: All right with me? Just as long as they got room. They cut a hole in the bottom of the office wagon. You've got plenty of room. The wagon rides on top of flat car like I told you.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's it. Water, and I'll drive out there today and locate a good spot for us to wait. We let you know where to meet this cookie.
Speaker 1: You meet you for what's a train?
Speaker 10: A job?
Speaker 6: That's for what? Oh?
Speaker 1: Now wait and wait nothing, we need you.
Speaker 7: This is my part of the deal, the information I didn't fogin for nothing else they got right, mate.
Speaker 8: Don't look at me. I don't know what kind of deals you made.
Speaker 6: You'll be there to give us a hand after So you got back to the show and stay with it the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: Do I have to?
Speaker 6: Sure? You have to? You leave the show after the job, and you look suspicious, but.
Speaker 1: I get to spend some time with me.
Speaker 8: You'll have all winter with me, Cookie, all winter.
Speaker 6: We'll let you know where to meet us in Farmington.
Speaker 10: Okay, Weller looks sniper soft touch to me, an awful soft touch.
Speaker 1: So don As soon as.
Speaker 7: The train got underway, these criminals planned to saw a hole in the floor of the carnival office wagon, which was loaded aboard the flat car. The escapade looked like a certain success until another train brought an unwadded passenger.
Speaker 6: Now back to gang Busters. You were telling us United States Attorney Anderson at.
Speaker 7: Burglars planned the board a flat car of a carnival train, which was loaded the office wagon of the show. That's right done, and it was their intention to saw a hole in the bottom of the office wagon as the train rolled through the dead of night and opened the small safe in which the funds of the show were kept. Late on the night of September seventh, the train had pulled onto a siding at Farmington, Minnesota, to water and feed the menagerie as Cookie said it would. In the high weeds near the spot where the office wagon card stopped, the other two conspirators were waiting, Wait a Cookie.
Speaker 6: I'll kill up for not showing up.
Speaker 10: The two of uskue manageries and looked so tough.
Speaker 6: Would I tell him to show up? I want him here if you.
Speaker 10: Can hid down and we let them train and drive the sides. Just say, didn't get finished up? Bank this okay, crapit tools got him.
Speaker 6: Let's go okay, yet up, give me.
Speaker 10: Okay, okay, that's the thing in the plot.
Speaker 6: Lay over driving Aladin.
Speaker 3: Oh oh.
Speaker 8: Oh oh.
Speaker 10: Oh, I see we roller bull shut up an hey, hooky, it doesn't come in for a full courts We're seeing it didn't show up, but a job, duddy.
Speaker 6: I'll take care of culet's get busy on the ball.
Speaker 3: Boys from your investigation to all field offices, robbery of proven and cherry exposition and your train wanted plans at Minneapolis to Wichita, Kansas. Total sixty four thousand, six hundred and ninety.
Speaker 11: Seven dollars cash included.
Speaker 3: Bills at one hundred dollars, five hundred dollars and one thousand dollars denominations. All field offices directed to be on alert force spenders unusually large bills.
Speaker 1: Three and three falls from one knocked. The little dady offered, prank you. Hey, I'll not come unto the tree.
Speaker 8: Hey, pas, did you hear about it?
Speaker 10: Child?
Speaker 1: Say here about what it's?
Speaker 4: The eye?
Speaker 11: Guys all over the lost something Saint Paul something, Kansas City, come here to wichitaals fift No, kidd, they got an idea. Was an inside job for sure.
Speaker 7: Was an insight job where anybody get the gope on the office wagon unless it was an insight show.
Speaker 11: Are they questioned? EIoT, make sure you fair question and everybody on the lot, everybody from mister.
Speaker 8: Signer checks all the way down what they want with me?
Speaker 1: Three bars for a quarter. About it, fellow, three balls for quarters?
Speaker 8: What do they want with you?
Speaker 1: What do they want with me?
Speaker 11: I was on the grill for an eye here, No, kidd me, I told you said, FBI's all over the place.
Speaker 1: I didn't need to get right.
Speaker 11: They too, sure they ain't got a line already.
Speaker 10: Huh, who are you sure you do?
Speaker 8: Hoover, It's okay.
Speaker 1: I got information, Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, the rise for him told me he had it from the ticket boss, who got a rude for mister sunder checks himself. The FBI is on the right track, and they wrapped the whole thing up before the show breaks.
Speaker 1: Switch the top three bars for a quarter. Hey, y'all, fellow, three for.
Speaker 11: Quarter, And he said, it's somebody right here on the lock. That's who they left to, somebody right here on the lock. The fact of the business, say is they know who it is already. They're just waiting for him to make.
Speaker 6: A move before they haul them in.
Speaker 1: Gound. Joe, get thank your stand before somebody holds you. And hey, yes, three balls for a quarter.
Speaker 7: Uh knocked the little lady off, profession that's the drink, and knocker, rent the drink and see that beautiful golden head creature.
Speaker 1: Tinker back. See you take that right?
Speaker 8: No, Vince, cut it off. I have to finish packing.
Speaker 12: There's lots of time for packing. Baby, we could stand. He's stand for another week.
Speaker 6: Come here, then tell me how much you miss Cookie.
Speaker 8: Look, I really have to finish packing. You wanted to make hot springs the.
Speaker 6: First nice so we wouldn't make hot springs.
Speaker 8: It'd be much nicer if we didn't have to drag that water along.
Speaker 6: Water is good for a lot of things made. Baby. Listen, somebody's putting the key in the door.
Speaker 8: Oh bet it's Cookie.
Speaker 6: Oh I got crazy. I couldn't be here. Hey, what are you doing back here?
Speaker 7: What do you look like I'm doing? I came back to see me. Hi, sweet hot Cookie. You shouldn't it come?
Speaker 1: Who wants to stick around that show any long? But things are getting hot.
Speaker 6: I told you to stay out the season. Why didn't you show up to do the job? I'll tell you why.
Speaker 1: Because I played it smart. That's why I was the wrong question buddy.
Speaker 7: Where they were the night of the job. They didn't talk to you, Sure they did. I was on the back end of the train setting up all night, playing Peanuto. I had several witnesses, counting Kimpetus, Yeah, should have stuck out this season, like I totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well you go back and work that lousy midway in my place. I came home to see my May and I was going, let you, hey, where are you counting on going? What do you mean? What are you packing your bags for?
Speaker 10: That's what I mean.
Speaker 6: She was going to catch a train a knight for Richita to meet you.
Speaker 1: So right, May your Cookie?
Speaker 8: Where else could I be going?
Speaker 12: You better get back to the show, Cookie telling you I picked up for being drunk or something, but get back today.
Speaker 7: I told you I'm staying right here, me and May. And why we're on the subject which we ain't? Where's my cut of the dough?
Speaker 6: Or? And I haven't talked it over yet?
Speaker 1: What's there a talk over? You're taking your cut it three ways?
Speaker 8: I think you're entitled to a full share?
Speaker 1: Shut up me?
Speaker 7: Who said are you supposed to be on anyway? I asked, what's there's there a talk over?
Speaker 6: It didn't show up for the job that entitles generally the tipsters in ten percent?
Speaker 7: Why are you giving me ten percent? I spend a whole summer on the job. You two guys spend one night. I don't settle for no ten percent.
Speaker 12: They're getting a little tougher than you used to, because why shouldn't I get tougher up?
Speaker 7: I see a few of the things that's going on around here. Picked up, eh, going to which I was gonna wire you?
Speaker 1: Cook here? You were going to wire me? Any how? Vince? What about my door?
Speaker 6: We have made water the night and talk it over.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't eat water, but I'm getting my full share.
Speaker 6: What'd you put that? Teacher?
Speaker 1: Remind me?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: And the potato pevers, oh in there in the closets, much obliged. I'm going to a potato peel because it's this afternoon, which is what I should have done three months ago.
Speaker 8: Well, what are we going to do now?
Speaker 6: So we leave tomorrow instead of today?
Speaker 8: He's not going to sit still.
Speaker 6: Then.
Speaker 12: I haven't taken them easy with him, baby, I didn't want them to cause us any trouble, not until we're set. But tonight he gets the law laid down about his cut about you.
Speaker 11: Hi, I'm Joe Cherry said they wanted to see me in the office.
Speaker 6: Wagon Yes, I.
Speaker 10: Wanted to see him. I'm a special Agent Smith Feederal Girl of Investigation.
Speaker 1: Oh how you said, I'm Joe.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, thanks.
Speaker 11: You know another one of u FBI guys talked to me yesterday.
Speaker 10: I know it's about something different today.
Speaker 11: Look, I didn't have nothing to do with about But if that's what's on your.
Speaker 10: Mind, I know you didn't have anything to do with it.
Speaker 1: Huh. That's good.
Speaker 6: Got me worried for a minute.
Speaker 10: You know that your friend Cookie left the show.
Speaker 6: He did, Yes, he did. Well, that's funny.
Speaker 11: I was talking to him just last night. He didn't say nothing about leaving.
Speaker 10: He didn't say anything to anybody.
Speaker 1: He just let say.
Speaker 11: You don't think he had anything to do with oh not cook it?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: See he is an East Saint Louis, Illinois address. You know whether that's where he lives. Yeah, that's why it lives. But you're barking up the wrong tree.
Speaker 11: Miss to anybody but.
Speaker 10: Cookie, We'll have to check up on him anyway. Leaving the show, so suddenly it doesn't make it look too good for him. Now, I'm going to ask you a few more questions and you give me the best answers you can.
Speaker 1: All we're trying to do is clear this thing up, and we intend to.
Speaker 6: Now back to Gangbusters.
Speaker 11: Look, then, I ain't satisfied with those five thousands, get it down cooking his teeth in the joints.
Speaker 6: I'm telling you five thousands more than I titled it's a grain.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, I wanna will now let me tell you, guys something. All I got to do is peep one little word, see just one little wor cookie?
Speaker 10: Don't cooking me?
Speaker 1: May I know what you've been trying to get away with behind my back? How stupid do you think I am?
Speaker 6: Five thousands of cookie?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Who are your continent people?
Speaker 7: In it?
Speaker 6: One way too?
Speaker 7: To?
Speaker 1: Who do you think to the law?
Speaker 6: That's so? That's not a very good I see cookie?
Speaker 8: You could get some sense. Yeah, I'll take the five grand cook and be glad you got it.
Speaker 6: You take it and keep quiet.
Speaker 1: You're looking for trouble. Trouble man, what kind of trouble could you give me?
Speaker 6: Okay, weller, he sits still cookie.
Speaker 10: There's a gun in my lap. Disappointed light that you got?
Speaker 6: Do you see?
Speaker 8: Cookie?
Speaker 7: You?
Speaker 1: You guys can't bluff me. Give me my fight and I'll get.
Speaker 6: Out of here, said still Church. Well, ain't bluffing.
Speaker 7: This was just imagine he was going to make trouble for us. Oh, five grand, this is five grand. I'll look for us, all right, I'll take the fire ground.
Speaker 6: You a little late, Cookie, I think you'll take a nice swimming or lake.
Speaker 10: Me to talk to him with a rock around. You may tell him I was kidding her. I'll take the five ground.
Speaker 1: I got no incidence.
Speaker 6: Cookie, get up and walk for the door and scare us, he said, walk for the door.
Speaker 1: Snap, do something for me. When you do something, please have to what we've been together.
Speaker 8: When I get talk.
Speaker 6: All right, hol what what you telly?
Speaker 10: I don't move?
Speaker 1: Oh brother, am I glad to see you.
Speaker 6: We're glad to see you.
Speaker 1: I'll get over all of you.
Speaker 10: Walk out that door. Don't give us any trouble, because we just welcome trouble.
Speaker 6: Guys like you. Oh what.
Speaker 7: That done was how agents of the Federal Gure of Investigation rounded up this gang whose crime might be called.
Speaker 1: Clever if they got away with it, but they didn't.
Speaker 7: The principal members of the gang were found guilty of theft from an interstate shipment and sentenced to a term of eight years in a federal penitentiary. The other conspirator was given a term of three and a half years.
Speaker 5: Oh, thank you United States Attorney Anderson for this most interesting case history and Gangbusters. Congratulations to the federal agents who rounded up this troublesome gang of criminals. The Night's case was dramatized by Stanley Niss and directed by William Sweets, with Bill Smith and Gene Ellen.
Speaker 6: In leading roles. Don Gardner speaking.
Speaker 1: Gangbusters is a Philip Station Lord production.