Speaker 1: We're Tom Lorenzo and this is the Pop Style Opinion best Helegant is Welcome back to another edition of the Pso I am the team your Tello, Tom Fitzgerald, and I'm here with the low and your t love Lorenzo because my love husband day, are your lovely husband wonderful.
Speaker 2: It's very very hot.
Speaker 1: Which is nice, which is nice cold spring here in Philly, and we finally had a a heat wave. In fact, a friend of ours was up from Dallas and he could not get over how hot it was here.
Speaker 2: It was so funny because I was like, you're from Dalla, what are you talking about? Anyway, I love it because you know, it's short, short season. We get we see the boys out there.
Speaker 1: The boys in their short shorts. My days and short shorts are probably behind me, but no, they're definitely. So we have a pod Porio topic today, a bunch of things that we're going to check in on. Some of them are a little old because they're not that old, but they're not up to the minute. Let's just say our podcasting schedule got interrupted a couple of times because May has the Metcala and the cam Film Festival, and that just eats up a lot of our time, and to be honest, I wasn't sure we were going to get one done this week, but I pushed through. I said, bitch, we're going to do it. We're going to talk about it. He comes to my dick imline, but this is exactly what I're I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm like hiding in my room. And he comes to go, like, we're doing a podcast that is not true at all.
Speaker 1: Now I'm just joking, but I love this image that you sell.
Speaker 3: I know, hiding under the bed from me, Tom, I know, tinyrand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, trust me people you trust anyway. Anyway, so we have a bunch of topics talk about, one of which is the Odyssey trailer. This is what I mean about things not being completely up to the minute, because that's dropped like two weeks ago and immediately turned into a thing.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 1: Christopher Nolan's Odyssey trailer stars dot A cast and Hathaway, Tom Holland, uh Zunday, Robert Pattinson, Matt Damon. Yeah, I did sell.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, keep up with my list anyway, and uh, of course Lupede and yougo as the letwoy Jerry Helen of Troy perfect choice in my opinion, of.
Speaker 1: Course, but I guess we can. One of the things we can unpack here is did Christopher Nolan the director? Uh, he had to have known there would be backlash against the choice of Lupita. And I wonder if I hate to say that, because that sounds I don't know a little bit more I don't. I don't know if I could. I don't know that Lupita would agree to that.
Speaker 2: All right, well, find we did, But what about the American extent?
Speaker 1: Well, no, no, I do want to talk about the Lupita thing. This is what I'm trying to unpack, which is Christopher Nolan had to know that casting a black woman as one of the most legendarily beautiful women of ancient Greek mythology, the most legendarily beautiful woman of Greek mythology, we don't know. Well, that's what I mean. There is mythology, there's no ob history. And uh, yeah, So he had to know in the times that we live in, with the kind of chuds that we have to deal with all day, every day, and the rise of racism and misogyny and all the other crap we're dealing with, he had to have known, and I feel like Lupita had to have known that this casting was going to be met with outcry right now, as as is the case with these sorts of uh, you know, I can't even Traditionally these are called color blind castings, where you know, you cast someone that doesn't matter what race they are, because etcetera. Helena Troy is not a real figure. She's not a real person. She was never a real person. So it's a story, it's a mythology. And in that instance, you I obviously I have not read the original, you know, odesty, I have not read it in the original language, so I don't know how she's described. Is she described as having white skin and blonde hair? I kind of doubt it. These were not the beauty ideals of the Bronze Age. I don't think he's done anything to violate the text by having her, by casting her.
Speaker 2: I think it's very different if you if you have a movie, like I've mentioned to you, like in a small island in Scotland or or Ireland, and you have people with an American accent, you know that lapte. Yeah, but I'm talking about or Asian people, you know, in a small Island in Scotland. I mean, I sometimes you have to stick to a certain you know, right, I don't know type, but in this case, I mean, you could go in anything.
Speaker 1: And really what this comes down to, and let's just unpack that. The of course, the outcry against her casting is coming from a lot of right wing people, a lot of Manisphere people, and a lot of this is being led by the man himself, Elon Musk on Twitter. He really led the charge about this being like white erasure or whatever.
Speaker 2: He has the microphone.
Speaker 1: But the thing here is, I'm not suggesting that there's anything about this that isn't her horrifying racism, but I do think, I do think this gets to the idea of who gets to claim the mantle of beautiful in our culture, and this is one of the most glaring example who was allowed to be called beautiful and who isn't. Lupitao is un mistakably beautiful Fortunes and anybody who tries to argue otherwise is clearly arguing from a very white centric, racist perspective. What are your thoughts about beauty about race?
Speaker 2: It's always been that way, I mean always, uh, you know, it's the skinny white blonde person wins always. So I when they cast her, I was like, all right, this is gonna be you know, trouble for people are going to talk about it.
Speaker 1: They had to have known. Yes, I have to believe that Nolan and Lupedin understood what was called.
Speaker 2: I mean, if she she's not dumb, I mean, you know, she knows what she was about to face, you know, in terms of everything, So maybe that's what she wants. Star Wars for God's So. I mean, we've we've seen this a lot, especially with with comedy, not comedy movies like the there's big superhero movies, you know, we seebusters, and we see that a lot people are going after women in general.
Speaker 1: The people who are going after them are not watching small art films. The only thing they watch are Marvel movies. And you know exactly, and the Odyssey is right up.
Speaker 2: Has she made any statement I couldn't find.
Speaker 1: I don't believe that she has. If she's well, I don't think she's not to me to say how she should handle it, but I hope she she shouldn't.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think she should do anything. I hope she can survive this because you know, she'll be fine. She'll be fine, I hope so, because you need to Yeah, we in general, collective speaking, of course, we need to not accept that kind of thing. You know, I agree, we have to fight that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Now here's I'm gonna throw a lit match into this. Just something to think about. What if he had cast a light skinned black women with long, straight hair, you know, so, in other words, a black woman who embodied basically white beauty ideals, and there are plenty of actresses who are like that. Do you think there would have been this because the thing is Lupida is dark sor.
Speaker 2: I think I think I think it would matter. If if it wouldn't matter, they would go.
Speaker 1: I think it would be as bad.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean, I think they would go after anybody who wasn't white.
Speaker 1: I agree with that. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that. I mean, I'm not suggesting that, you know, Lupita isn't pretty enough or whatever.
Speaker 2: I think they were expecting them to cast like, I don't know, some Moneia Taylor Joy or whatever. You know, someone that, someone like that, someone like that and hadway, you know, somebody like that, and it doesn't matter if you with Asian Latin black, they would go after what.
Speaker 1: The other thing that came out with this trail or was this Everyone going was very much up in arms over the fact that there was not a consistent accent across the board for these characters, and that not only did Nolan not force the Americans to speak in a British accent, which is essentially how all films set in the ancient world have been shot. English language films set in the ancient world always give the characters British accent.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's time to change it.
Speaker 1: Well, he not only didn't ask the Americans to do it, but he had Robert Pattinson speaking in an American accent and.
Speaker 2: Tom Holland I believe so, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think anybody has a British accent. I'm not sure I have to go back on life.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've seen versions that they all they do, you know, pick you to Vicheo accent. It doesn't matter in some movies, you know, I've watched movies where they have like British accent.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean the Star Wars films are kind of famously it is that all the Empire people have British accents and most of the people the rebels have American accents, and that actually made a lot of sense and it actually worked. Game of Thrones, there was a collect everybody had an accent from the British or Scotland or Wales.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: There were no Americans in that in the casting, and I don't think anyone had an Australian accent or anything like that. But there were a range of accents in that. I remember it was a bit and I didn't pick up on this, and I laughed my ass off when I faked when I realized what they had done. The Rings of Power, the Token adaptation where all everybody else, I think everybody else in it has a you know, English received pronunciation accent. And all of the Hobbits, which I should explain if you haven't seen the show, this is thousands of years before the Lord of the Rings. So the Hobbits are basically like these rural gypsy I shouldn't use the term gypsy, but you know wanderers who there's like sticks in their hair and they're you know, they're pre writing and all that there there, it's a pretty low version of the Hobbits, and they all have and I didn't even catch it until all these bodies in Ireland were like what the people with sticks in their hair, I know, the ones that have Irish accents.
Speaker 2: I think, I think this is a great you know, I think that's a great decision to make them always speak uh, I don't know, speak with an American accent, because that that I.
Speaker 1: Think if you break that tradition, to break that tradition.
Speaker 2: And by doing that, maybe you raking the tradition that also that these people have to be white, you know that's true.
Speaker 1: Are feeding into that hole.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that's that's great.
Speaker 1: You're centric.
Speaker 2: I have a problem when he when he sucks up through the story like Lady Gago with with it speaking English with an Italian next, and what the fuck is that? About?
Speaker 1: The only thing I'll say? I mean, she was an Italian character, and I guess you have to assume that that character is actually speaking English and all of those scenes, why would she be? I don't know.
Speaker 2: This is this is so old fashioned and and pathetic. You see that with interpreters, like when you listen to the radio and they.
Speaker 1: And they get an interpreter, we get interpreted.
Speaker 2: With an accent. So that okay, Well then then it's fine, it's okay, it's legit here because the interpreter has an excent. I mean, come on, that is so.
Speaker 1: Stories from that is very small mind. People who had to do you know, interpret for like local news stories, like they had to interpret what someone was saying on camera and they were basically advised to like beef up their accent. People will believe it more. Yes, exactly, if it's someone with my accent translating someone speaking Spanish, there is a portion of the audience that are going to be like, does that guy even know what he's talking about?
Speaker 2: This is pathetic, so small minded. So someone cannot have to you know, speak more than the language.
Speaker 1: Connected to that is Pattinson has the line and the thing about missing your daddy and he uses the word daddy there quick to me again, this goes to the same point if you want living, breathing characters. You know, of course, I don't know what the ancient Greek word would have been, but the point that because they were like, well, he could have said father, but then you would not have gotten the point across that he is making fun of him, that he is putting him down for being a baby, for being childish, for pining after a parent. Father would have not had that tone. Daddy has that tone.
Speaker 2: I think as long as it is consistent. I don't have a problem with, you know, contemporary sounding.
Speaker 1: I don't think slang is a good idea, Like I really don't too far you. I don't think slang is a good idea in a setting like that, But conversational twenty first century English, right, that actually makes the most sense for those characters.
Speaker 2: American English English people come off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just dumb. Yeah, all right, have we beaten that one to death? Yes, all right, let's take a short break and then we'll come back and Lorenzo has some TikTok stuff. We'll be right back. We're back, and Lorenzo is going to tell us what's going on in the world of TikTok this week.
Speaker 2: Anyway. Two topics that I think are interesting. The first one is that apparently Candell Jenner is dating Jacob Elordi, and.
Speaker 1: I think nobody in that family dates anyone who isn't super famous.
Speaker 2: Apparently she signed another another Kardashian sign, another contract with a famous actor or something. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know how they pull all the guys fight.
Speaker 2: It interesting. The thing is that I you know, I used to blame them more than I blame them, but I think they're just fame whrror as much the guys.
Speaker 1: You guys, Yes, I think so.
Speaker 2: Like we saw that happening with Tim Michella May and I think Jacob earlrd is the same thing. I mean, I watch a lot of TikTok videos and the reason why I like to watch them is because you actually see them in action talk and giving interviews, and you know, it's better than just read what they said because you can sort of react to how they react to the questions. And lately I've seen that Jacob Elordi is getting more and more full of himself, you know, as he.
Speaker 1: Gets nothing at Kardashian. Woman loves more than a man who's full of them as he gets wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just find it interesting that the most the most hyped up rising actors of the moment, you know, Timo, Tay and Jacob, the most overrated actors at the moment, are dating Kardashian. I just find that funny. And then everyone is talking about how gorgeous here together and the power couple blah blah blah, and I you know, I just find it funny that that can't you date somebody else talking about the Kardisian And these guys are clearly looking because if you go and you know, the the top twenty five TikTok with the biggest account on Instagram, the top twenty five, all the Kardashians are on the list, all of them, right except the mother, but all the ladies are there. So these people have a huge folly. And I can't not think, I mean that these guys are going after that, they're going up, you know, because they get photographed a lot, they get talked about a lot. I think think they're going for that. I mean, fine, they're they're they're beautiful women, so yes, they're dating beautiful women women. But at the same time, I think it it's it's a little more than just dating someone. I think there's a whole package.
Speaker 1: If you're dating a member of that family, there's got to be some strategic, uh thinking involved in it. I mean, the timidity thing has been going on for a while. These are real relationships. I don't think that these are things that they're faking for the camera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get yeah, I don't know, you don't I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't think someone like Timothy shalame and for that matter, Jacob Elordi, both of whom who have been Oscar nominee, I don't think they need to enter into fake romances for the cameras. I really don't think they. I think they're young guys. These are hot young girls. They're they're all famous. They all like being famous, they all like being And I don't know about Jacob Elordi, but Timothy Shalomey loves being famous. Oh yeah, loves being photo, loves being the center of attention. So similarly, like with Kim going all the way back to Kanye, she she broked a man who wanted that level of attention.
Speaker 2: Because she also wanted acceptance, and he was accepted.
Speaker 1: And there is also a level of from the man's perspective, I bagged a Kardashian. Oh yeah, there's very much.
Speaker 2: Bags like the new version of like I'm dating a model basically yeah, well he is dating a model.
Speaker 1: So yeah, whatever. I don't I mean, I can't speak for first I just think it's the lord all that. But Timothy, that was a real thing. The thing is everyone said the Kanye thing was a fake thing. It was a real marriage. I had several kids together.
Speaker 2: I have to say, from my perspective watch watching all these videos and TikTok, I was shocked by Timo Tishella. When he started dating Kylie. I was not expected.
Speaker 1: People thought he was some like artsy New York intellectually more like all of them.
Speaker 2: But then when it you know, it's not confirmed, confirmed yet, but when they started talking about these two together Jacob and and and and Candle, I was like, ah, makes makes sense, it makes total sense.
Speaker 1: So what are they They're they're what's what's the TikTok angle? What are they saying?
Speaker 2: They're just just oh my god, run away from her, and and you can do better. You know, they always think they can do better. But no, these they are just as bad as they are in my opinion.
Speaker 1: They they're very famous, very wealthy women, and it's perfectly understandable why. And they're hot. I'm not gonna they're they're they're young, hot, and they're all hot, and yeah, that's that's they're going to attract. And they almost all exclusively date celebrity men and not just celebrity men, but very famous celebrity men. They do not do B list story, no.
Speaker 2: No, no, But because they can do it, you know, I think, yeah, it's it's sort of like, you know, it pleases and and everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: And anyway, the second one is that uh, Harry Styles, they're all mad at him his fans. The thing but Harrick Start's very funny is that he has the same fan base, like huge enormous fan base like Taylor Swift. So it's kind of the same reacting when reaction when you read about him and the comments. He's out promoting his new album I Believe, and then he's doing a show. He's doing his tour of the Together Together, which is ironic the title Together Together, because you can't barely see the guy on stage. But they started because the tickets were too expensive. They were all complaining that his tickets were way crazy expensive, and then they went to the show. He started his tour in Amsterdam, I believe, and they can't see anything. People bought VIP tickets paid I believe, like three fifty euros, which is insane for a ticket. I don't know how these people can afford it. But anyway. So if you go and look at the pictures, it's a huge stadium and also a huge like uh stage that he literally runs like a marathon because it's so big. And people were complaining that they bought the VIP floor tickets and they could see him, they couldn't see him. They you know, they didn't even know where he was. They had to look up the screen and to see where he was running, and I think and so everyone was complaining. But the complaint got so bad that that they they actually, you know, his PR team had to put a statement out there and say that they're changing the format because it's really really bad. If you look at the stage, uh, some parts has like bridges and he like, so I'm urging you to go online and look, that's why the tickets are so fucking so huge that all you see is a little dot running you can't even you don't even know who that is. And the thing is that people were saying, it's not like Taylor Swift Swift that she had all these people, like, I know, fifty sixty people on stage dancing and singing with her. He's pretty much most of the time by himself. He does have a few people every now and then, but most of the time he's just alone with a microphone and the side of the stage is insane with bridges that he goes up and down and he runs around. So anyway, I think these things are getting crazy. I mean, Beyonce is another one with cars and airplanes or whatever the hell you know on stage with her. I don't know. I'm not saying that you should go back to just you know, the single with a microphone on stage, because you can't do that because you keep selling tickets and there we're talking about thousands and thousands of tickets here, so you have to show these people something.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, you have to have some sort of spectacle to justify.
Speaker 2: To justify the size of the stage number one, and the front of the tickets and everything. So I just thought it was interesting, and he keeps seeing that more and more and more. And when you have someone doing so successfully like Taylor Swift, then you know everybody wants to do the same, but you know they don't. I mean, you have to do it in a way that can justify three hundred and fifty years a ticket. I mean, I've seen videos people at the VIP section paying three hundred and fifty years. You can't see a thing. You couldn't see him. You could not see him anyway. So that's what they're angry about his fans, particularly because you you know, fans always defend these people. But no, they're they're mad too. So we'll see. I'm curious to see what they're going to do about the stage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have no thoughts because I have I know, I have not been to a stadium concert in a very long time. But yeah, I see puttie from these concerts and I'm like, what what I mean, why would you pay? Like, just go watch it at home, watch the video at home.
Speaker 2: I've seen people with the fans, obviously defanning them, saying that were we there to have a good time? Whither we are friends? I was like, all right, just stay home and put on put on the record, you know, put on the you know the track, and dance at home with your friends. But anyway, I don't know, but I guess you want to be there. You want to pay three hundred and fifty years, Well power to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, I think it's too quick to go to a break, So before we do that, I do want to just give a quick shout out to uh, it's Colbert's last night, I know, and it's been a sad thing watching him go. I think I understand why this sendoff is so elaborate. All of his celebrity friends are coming out and making a big deal in all of this other stuff, and also because he is, in the minds of so many, including myself, was unfairly fired from his job for political reasons, so that's why everyone's coming out. But I do think we're I mean, it's a good thing it's ending, because it's it's gotten to the point of a little bit of overkill, like people coming out and just singing these cheerful goodbyes to him and everything. And you know, it's not Johnny Carson after thirty years, you know what I mean, It's not. It's not that level of even I like Colbert, I do, and his leaving is tragic and politically it's infuriating, but he was never a cultural institution the way that and that's the way everyone's acting right now. It's like, I get it, they want to give him a big send off, but he was one of four hosts in a very dwindling late night market and many people think he was the best. It's not really for me to say because I don't watch Late Night all that much, but I think.
Speaker 2: I think it's how it was, why it was done, you know why he right.
Speaker 1: I do think it's getting a little on the obnoxiy right side.
Speaker 2: And I and I appreciate people coming out and say something, making a statement because when you do as a celebrity of someone famous, and it once again it's out there for people to be reminded why he was fired. At the same time, the man has been doing this for what twenty years.
Speaker 1: I believe, right, not even mean on CBS now like the two Colbert Report, any right of that.
Speaker 2: He's a zillionaire. He has more money than he'll be so he'll be fine, and he's probably gonna start his own YouTube zone now.
Speaker 1: I think he has a bunch of different things lined up, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like Pulbert. I'm not suggesting he doesn't deserve his accolades, but I do think the sort of weepy, overwrought goodbyes are starting to get to be a bit much, that's all. And it's it's time to it's time to go. It's just time to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I understand why it's done, I understand, and as I said, because people just pay attention when he's out there right in front of them. So uh so if celebrities are doing that, I think it's always a reminder again and again and again why he was fired. And I think that point needs to be you know, uh, people need to need to be reminded why he was fired.
Speaker 1: I agree. All right, now we'll go to a break, yes, and we'll be right back to chat about a few more things than our pod pory. We're back, and now we're going to check in on the little scandal, the little Disney scandal surrounding the Mandalorian.
Speaker 2: I mentioned that on the Less podcast about you know, fan things now go ahead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's not a big story, but I think everyone kind of latched onto it because it's indicative of such a long trend in the Hollywood promotions. So the Mandalorian and Grogu, the Star Wars spin offs movie starring Pedro Pescal has opened, and all indications are that it's going to be like the worst performing Star Wars movie. Really, yeah, Oh, nobody wants this. The show has has just plummeted in quality. There was too much he has had not the best luck in his movie. I mean, I know, Fantastic Four did okay, but it didn't do Crazy okay. Oh that sucks for him, and this is probably not going to do well and possibly because of that reason. Disney stage this thing at Disneyland, as you know, it was for social media. Essentially, a bunch of people were going were in line to get on the Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run ride and someone came out in a Mandalorian costume and took off his helmet and it was Pedro Pascal and oh my god, pictures and crying and all this other stuff. And you know, it was billed as you know, Pedro Pascal Surprise as Star Wars fans. But everybody there was like an influencer of some form, some sort of Star Wars on the stage, of which there are a lot.
Speaker 2: That's what.
Speaker 1: There's money to be made there.
Speaker 2: I see that happening a lot on TikTok. I mean, all the influencers on TikTok get invited to the red carpet.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, the critics don't, but influencers do.
Speaker 2: The Devil Wears product, for example, had several mini mini fan events and it was all like, these people get invited, it's.
Speaker 1: Fine, but this sort of stage surprise thing they do this is what blew up. I'm sorry, guys, it's the same.
Speaker 2: Thing at celebrity showing up to somebody's wedding as a surprise thing. That to me that he's so selfish, selfish.
Speaker 1: Theday it was doing the wedding Chapel in Vegas and I was like, well, I mean, I'm sure people loved it, but I would be annoyed my wedding turned into a movie.
Speaker 2: I swip show up at my wedding. I would send her out, go thank you, Taylor, But no, no, it's my day, girl, not yours. So I kind of see the same thing here. I guess people would again there they rely on their I don't know, celebrity status.
Speaker 1: I guess it's oh, well, I'm going to need to show up this story. Here is the way critics, actual legitimate critics, are being forced out of these conversations, forced out of these commercial events. And you're bringing in people who by their nature will never say anything bad exactly because because they're influencers, because they're fans. Yes, and you know, I I'm an independent blogger, and I think a lot of people think that that's somehow akin to being an influencer, but it actually isn't. I am not selling proper. I'm selling my own work basically. I mean, I sell products too, but that's you know, you got to do that to make money.
Speaker 2: But I try to be careful because you know, we are bloggers, and there was a time when they invited bloggers to everything anything.
Speaker 1: But we took that shit seriously.
Speaker 2: Well that's us, and a lot of people did too. I mean, I can only speak for myself. At the time when we got invited, you got invited to something that you did, which means that we cover red carpet and a TV show, so we got invited to that. Nowadays, you just have to have a big number of followers. Doesn't matter what you do, you get invited to these things. I've seen people on TikTok. I'm not gonna name names. These people do something completely different. They live in a different country or whatever, and their TikTok account is all about traveling or Paris or whatever, and now they're getting invited to all these red carpet events because of the numbers they have. So that's the problem, and as you mentioned, it's a very smart move because none of these people are going to bed mouth anything.
Speaker 1: Now, that's the whole I idea. And I mean when we first started those blockers and we were invited to places I no one ever said you're not allowed to say anything bad, but it was kind of the understanding, like we're inviting you, so just be on your best behavior. And that's kind of why we don't really do events like that anymore, because the expectation is what we have to be nice or we'll never get invited back, and that's just death.
Speaker 2: For I don't care about that anymore.
Speaker 3: One of the.
Speaker 1: Reasons I firmly last year or the year before, I was at a social event with people that basically I most of whom I had not seen since I was a teenager. We were part of the same teenager crowd social event, and someone came up to me and said, I heard you're an influencer now, and I got bent the fuck out of shape and I was like, I am not. I am a writer. Here's the thing. Influencers are selling their influence. They're selling their ability to generate an audience and to tell them what to buy, what to think. Where to go, and that has now been That is the difference. And I remember sometimes like getting dismissive comments in our own comments section where people would refer to us as influencers, and when I came back and said we're not influencers, they would get all, excuse me. But there is a difference.
Speaker 2: There is a major difference, and I think it's a very misused word to begin with it.
Speaker 1: It is a misused one.
Speaker 2: I hate the term yeah, to be honest, because it's not about what you do, what you came up with as an idea for for what you for a channel, for for a TikTok channel or YouTube channel. No, it's it's just because you have the numbers, no matter what you do. Doesn't matter what you do, Yeah, you have the numbers, So we're gonna send you soap, and you're gonna talk about it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I mean the worst sorts of influencers are the ones that don't really have any principles or preferences. Although don't it's constantly for sale, yes, yes, but whatever. There are good influencers. It's not an evil position to be in. And I don't even think I would badmount these Star Wars fans. But I think it's shitty to do these posts like go ahead and just have a like you were talking about the fan events or Devilwarre's product. That doesn't bother me because they're literally labeled this fan event. I would go, of course, I come, but this sort of staged oh surprise. No, that's that's where you're getting into. And I think that was the backlash, Like you're getting into not being honest with your audience about what sort of promotional work you're doing.
Speaker 2: One thing, if you had showed up to real people there, right, attity.
Speaker 1: They've done that in the past. Yeah. I remember Chadwick Boseman showed up during Black Panther and he surprised a bunch of people, and I think it was on the Tonight Show at the time. They do these things. That's fine, but Orchestra tell me, yeah, you surprised a bunch of random fans when it's quite clear you surprised people who have probably a million followers on social media.
Speaker 2: Right, and they're gonna post videos about it, and I'm gonna say, oh my god, I was whatever, and you know they're not honest about it, and they they yeah, it's just crazy. Again goes back to what I said, it's exhausting to watch or read anything today because you're like, it is Israel.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like always.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'll tell you what if it's coming from Telo, it's real, it's real, it's real. It's our real opinions that we really typed out or wrote out or thought off ourselves. No, Ai, I know nothing. So you're always going to get the real ship with Tilo. That should be our tagline, the real Ship whenever we're whenever we travel uh to another country, I always we all love it was one of the things I will I love to do, like if we're in a city like Paris or Lisbon or something like that, is to just sort of wander off into an area where it's away from tourists. And we were. It was in Lisbon the first time I used the term, where we were in this alleyway going up very steep. We were going somewhere, but we have found ourselves off the beaten path. And it wasn't a rough neighborhood, but it was. It was a residential one and an urban one, so there was graffiti and there was laundry, hanging out the windows, and I kept taking all these pictures and I'm like, I know, I know, it's not tourist stuff, but this is the real ship. This is I love graffiti and other countries. And I bet you, I bet your wings of desires? Why I bet you. That's that's why I love it. Anyway, moving on, we actually have one one more topic. Okay, it's an easy one, and we're just going out the door with this. Who should be the next change?
Speaker 2: Well, they're finally auditioning people. I think that's what they say.
Speaker 1: But I'm not in love with any of the people on the list. I mean, they're fine, but I'm like, Okay, a bunch of like square jowed white guy.
Speaker 2: Well, I think, but didn't we have a conversation like that. Is there some specific language language about what the character needs to be? Is he supposed to be British white whatever?
Speaker 1: I believe? I mean, he does have to be British, uh huh. And he's described in the books. In fact, I think he's I think, no, I know he's described in the books because I know when Daniel Craig was cast, there was a big to do about him being blonde and that is not how described in the books.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Aside from that, I think he's referred to as having dark hair. I think, given the times, he would not have been referred to as white, because the assumption is every character in a book is white until you tell them otherwise.
Speaker 2: I haven't no problemly if they picked someone who isn't white.
Speaker 1: I mean, given the racial makeup and the colonial history of Great Britain, I think it would be a really good idea to have someone like Henry Golding or Dev Patel or Riz Ahmed, any of those those men would make great bonds. I don't think you just cast when you talk about a diverse bond. To me, and I'm an American, I understand that. You know I'm speaking as an outsider. To me, it should be reflective of British history, British colonial history, and obviously that doesn't leave black actors out of the conversation. But I do think it would be more powerful to have, say a Pakistani actor or a Chinese actor. I'm not arguing against the black actor, but I never thought Idris Elbow was right for the part. They talked about him for years and I was like, I'm sorry, it has nothing to do with his race. That is, there are very swave looking black factors, right, that's not who Idriss is. He's sexy, he's powerful, he's aggressive. He just did not say Bond to me. He also was famously, at least among our set, he doesn't like to get dressed up. He's not a very right stylish man. And again it's like, wow, you I never thought he was right for the part.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I know. I don't think so, because, as you said, I think it has to be someone stylish, you know, with with.
Speaker 1: They're going for someone. They said they want an under thirty, which actually makes sense because they probably want him to do five movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my pigs are Aaron Taylor Johnson, Eron Taylor Johnson and Aaron Taylor.
Speaker 1: I And maybe I don't think he's got it either.
Speaker 2: I know he's getting old.
Speaker 1: I think he's he's getting a little old. Number one. He's got that sort of uh, I'm just gonna say he's got that sort of work, working class vibe to him. And I really don't think that's what they're looking for with Bond. You know, who I think would be great. Okay, So the names that are out there are like Callum Turner and he is the number one.
Speaker 3: He would be perfect, he'd be okay, yeah, right, he'd be like, come on, he's gorgeous, but he's okay looking, but I mean he is gorgeous, square John White guy, like all right, it's just not you know who I think of the name.
Speaker 1: And they're also talking Henry Cavill too big, what about Harris Dickenson? Very bland, very fucking bland. Josh O'Connor. Josh O'Connor would be my pick because he looks good and clothes, he's English, he's young enough, interesting, and he's sexy in an unconventional way. That's what I want. I think is I don't want a pretty Bond because we've had pretty bond. I was just gonna say he's not pretty enough, but we've had like Daniel Craig was probably the prettiest Bond therever was, and maybe maybe next to Sean Connery. It's always been like elegant, very good looking men like you know, Pierce Brosnan, and you know, no, let's get someone in there who's got a little bit of roughness to him but still comes off interesting. Because I do think bond does have to be a little bit posh.
Speaker 2: I agree, And and Joshakon is very talented, he's a great actor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think he would want to be I mean, they would have to offer him a shit ton of money because he's a rising star. Why would he lock himself. It's probably gonna be Callum Turner because he's not a big enough name.
Speaker 2: I know, but it changed your career, I mean your career.
Speaker 1: Daniel Craig wanted out of it after three movies. It's it's and he talked about that you can't eat. You literally cannot eat, like because you're either wrapping up a film or doing the promotional work for a film, or you're working on the next one. Why and he said he's like I starved for like ten years.
Speaker 2: I can't I can't see Joshua Kana doing that.
Speaker 1: No, naturally, think he wouldn't have to say no.
Speaker 2: But my point is that he doesn't care about things like that. I mean, I don't think he cared that much about his apperienced That's why Aaron Taylor Johnson could be the one, because he's too old at this point. I mean, I would have to check, but anyway.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm just saying, according to what they're looking for, they are gonna want at least three films out of the next James Bond, probably five.
Speaker 2: He's uh thirty five, he's not too old now, and he's coacheous.
Speaker 1: He he's you No, I mean he's gorgeous. My number one is Josh O'Connor. My number two was Callum Turner only because he fits. He wouldn't make a bad James Pollen is gorgeous. I don't necessary. I don't think Aaron Taylor Johnson is right for it at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't think Henry Calvill Callen is actually older thirty six.
Speaker 1: So Callum Turner's older. Wow, he looks younger.
Speaker 2: He looks younger. He's so pretty. He's very handsome with dal Leap and they look corgeously.
Speaker 1: They are a beautiful couple together anyway, So what are your picks?
Speaker 2: I say, Aaron Taylor Johnson.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, yeah, I think he's Kalen Turner here. He is so bland. You have he talk about you?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: The other one people were talking about Jacob ALORDI godknew number one number one. I really don't think he should be Australian like I just and I know George Lasmbee, who was an Australian actor played him for one role.
Speaker 2: He's not talented.
Speaker 1: I do think they should be English. Whoever plays Green should be English. That's me, but I'm not English, so whatever. I also think he's too tall. I think Jacob Elordi is literally too tall to be an action star because you have to shoot action sequences and he is going to be so much bigger than everybody that he's just going to dominate them, or that it makes shooting action sequences difficult because then you have to sort of obscure the fact that the lead actor is a foot taller than everybody else. No, he's not. I don't think he's a good No, he can't even sit in an aston Martin likes even get into those little Bond He's six five. Yeah, that's not happening.
Speaker 2: He's too tall and he's not talented.
Speaker 1: So how I disagree?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Do we have anything else?
Speaker 2: No, that's sonxiety. I love the movies. In fact, Netflix had all the Bond movies. Yeah, the Netflix had all the old movies and I watched pretty much all of them again.
Speaker 1: And something you may not know about Lorenzo when this might surprise you. Number one is that he's a huge Bond fan and he's seen them all and Western. He's a huge John Wayne fan.
Speaker 2: Oh God, don't say this would be crazy.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, everyone's gonna John Way. It was a wonderful actor. Politics.
Speaker 2: Can we expand this a little more? I love Western's period.
Speaker 1: You thought John Wayne was hot when he was very young?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm gonna get in too much trouble now, trouble when he was young? Yes, I I thought he was gorgeous. And I'm a huge fan of Western. Love love them, love them. If they're playing on Netflix, I watch all of them. And yeah, he's he's he was great person, but he was queen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't have to defend it, all right. Well, anyway, that's it for this week. We will be back. Actually tomorrow, we're watching To Die For for the Ritter Kitten Movie Club, so we'll be back with a short pot on that, and then we'll be back next week after the holiday. So have a happy Memorial Day all. We'll be American kittens. We'll be back with whatever crosses are as across their desks. Until then, take care of yourselves, love you mean it, Bye bye bye