Speaker 1: You're listenings KPI AM six forty, the Bill Handle Show on demand on the iheartradiop and good morning everybody, bill Handle Here. It is a Thursday morning, August twenty two, and a lot going on. The big news is the politics that we're talking about on the Democratic National Convention.
Speaker 2: Quick word about my podcast. I have the.
Speaker 1: Bill Handleshow podcast that drops again today every Tuesday and Thursday. Right after I lock on the lockout of the show nine o'clock. The episode drops on Spotify and iHeartRadio and Apple. It's the Bill Handles Show podcast. Also, the website is the Bill handleshowpodcast dot com. And today's podcast is How Crazy People Are the crazy stuff they buy. We call it memorabilia, but man, there's some stuff out there really people pay for that. Oh yeah, astronomical numbers and it's just anyway. That's the podcast this morning. So last night was night three of the DNC. Today is the last day, and a couple of things that are becoming very very apparent, and that is this is obviously from the Democratic side, Kamala Harris being the nominee, Tim Walls being the nominee for vice president, and this is breaking down where we know now exactly which way the campaign is going to go on both sides. Side one, it's going to be a commination. Side one being the democratic side of the political landscape as we go towards the general in November, and that is it's going down two paths. One attacking former President Trump. I mean there are personal attack with Trump doing more personal attacks than the Democratic side on kind of a I don't know, you know, personal attacks like she's not good looking, she's not smart, that sort of thing. On the other side, you have the Democrats talking about Trump in that democracy is going to disappear. He's self aggrandizing, He thinks about himself, he doesn't care about the country all.
Speaker 2: He cares about himself, all right.
Speaker 1: That is where we know it's going to go on the personal side. On the policy side, which I think Kamala Harris is going to we're going to hear a lot more over the next couple of months about policy. That is, I think both sides are going to have a little bit of a problem with policy because policy seems to be third. You would think that talking about where the country is going and here are the specifics that I'm doing, that's kind of back burner. The big theme that the Democrats came out with, and we know this is going to be huge, is an aspirational theme joy. With Barack Obama, it was hope.
Speaker 2: That was the word that was used. With Kamala Harris, it is joy.
Speaker 1: We have a joyful party, We're having a joyful convention. We're going to have a joyful run for the presidency. Our presidency itself will be a joyful president. It's just it's a different way of doing it. And the argument is that on the Trump side, things are horrible.
Speaker 2: Couldn't get worse.
Speaker 1: Kamala Harris becomes president and now it's communist Kamala. They finally came into some kind of a name calling that seems to stick.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's where he's probably going.
Speaker 1: World War three guarantee to start if Kamala becomes president. If Trump becomes president, it is democracy disappearing.
Speaker 2: It is over as far as we know it.
Speaker 1: But the part that is going to be if Kamalia becomes the president, what do we get. We're going to get joy. We're going to get joy. And that is kind of interesting. It was it's soaring rhetoric, is what we're hearing and I hate soaring rhetoric. Maybe I'm too much a cidic. I want to know exactly where we're going. A couple of things that Kamala has come up with, I think are going to be brutal.
Speaker 2: We're going to hurt her. One, price controls, she's crazy. I think you cannot do price controls. She's tried.
Speaker 1: And by the way, that lends itself to calling her very left wing, not quite a communist, but I tell you pretty progressive, far more than Joe Biden would ever go back. We go to the convention last night, night three of the convention, and just a couple I'm not going to talk about all.
Speaker 2: Of it, because I mean obvious, these things go on for hours and hours, but a lot of video.
Speaker 1: You know, they have that giant screen behind the speaker, and you saw a lot of them, and there's no other way of describing it other than propaganda. Video obviously putting the nominees and the best light possible, very slick, done by very professional organizations.
Speaker 2: Both sides do that.
Speaker 1: And for example, when a whole segment was done on the insurrection of January sixth, and it was it was pretty powerful, especially when we're talking when the former sergeant who was capital the packet Capitol Hill Police and he was beat up pretty badly, and he talked about how he was betrayed by Donald Trump. And on the screen you saw the directionists and they of course picked.
Speaker 2: Up the worst of the worst because it was pretty bad.
Speaker 1: I mean, there are video of people just you know, calmly walking through the halls, and then the video of people that were charging the Capital and this is a guy who was, as he described, he was beat with a pole that was flying the American flag and it was severely injured. And quotes from Donald Trump, these are heroes, they're hostages.
Speaker 2: I'm going to pardon them. That sort of thing. So pretty powerful stuff.
Speaker 1: As far as the speech making was concerned, I thought Oprah Winfrey had a fabulous speech, and she went into.
Speaker 2: History of these.
Speaker 1: Little black girls who in the fifties went into a segregated school per brown versus board, and they were by themselves because the whole school was emptied out. The parents wouldn't let their kids go to school with black little girls. They were in an empty schoolhouse and they had to put paper on the windows for fear of snipers shooting at these little girls and then talked about Kamala Harris being in the second integrated class in Berkeley. Oprah Winfrey I thought was extraordinary. Bill Clinton just rambled on and on one thing about Bill Clinton.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you noticed.
Speaker 1: He was not reading off a teleprompter. He had his own notes, and he is very good. Just went on way too long, I thought. And of course the most anticipated speech of all was Tim Walls, who hit exactly where I think his campaign for him for the Vice president, helping Kamala Harris, and what he is adding to the campaign is he was a former teacher and they had former students of him talking about mister Walls and how.
Speaker 2: Great he was.
Speaker 1: The team that he coached all came on to the stage in jerseys that were way too tight. It was pulling at heartstrings. His service is in the National Guard twenty four years is I mean when you talk about all of it now. He ran and it was a deep red district, and he talked about how he was able to win, and.
Speaker 2: He came off exactly as he is going to campaign.
Speaker 1: And why Kamala Harris chose him not because of his political strength, because of his personality. He is a gregarious, aw shucks kind of regular guy who you just like. He's the kind of person that when you meet him, you just like him. There's no bluster, doesn't sound.
Speaker 2: Political at all.
Speaker 1: He just is a regular guy who's done all the right things in life. And it was and did you notice his son and that when that blew up the internet, his kid did not stop crying, did not stop crying virtually the entire speech of Tim Walls. It was very emotional. And now I have not seen the memes. I have not seen the reaction from the Republican side, either making.
Speaker 2: Fun of him or leaving it alone.
Speaker 1: Maybe they should because it was so human, because it pulled at heartstrings. And I thought Tim Walls got an a for what he did. He brought it to the table and as he said, and we knew that this was the biggest stage he has ever had, speaking in front of a group of people in live television and to millions of people and to thousands of people in the arena. He came off he was an aw shucks kind of guy. He is that way, and it's not it's not contrived. That's the difference. He is who he is, and people love it, and they love him and he is well regarded and that's going to be translated hopefully into the population. That's it, because Kamala Harris is not going to come off that way. Kamala Harris is coming off as strong. She's coming off as this a woman can that cannot be bullied. She's out there pushing for you. I mean that is you know, whether that's true or not, or whether you believe that or not. That is a political statement. That is a political view.
Speaker 2: With Tim Walls, it's human first then politics. That's not easy to pull off. That is not and I think he's going to do it. I think he's going to do it. Okay.
Speaker 1: Oh and Bill Clinton had one of the greatest lie lines, and that is regarding Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Don't look at the lies, look at the eyes.
Speaker 1: In reference to Donald Trump being self agrandizing and I'm basically a wonderful person.
Speaker 2: You didn't hear that from Tim Wallas. We'll see how much of it we hear from Kamala tonight. Okay.
Speaker 1: President Barack former President of Barack Obama, in his DNC address a couple of nights ago, warned about putting a premium on money fame.
Speaker 2: Status and likes.
Speaker 1: Okay, while he is saying that the Democrats are deploying celebrities and influencers to help try to help prepare propel Kamala Harris to the presidency. And this is very interesting stuff, the connection between politics and celebrities and the connection between influencers and celebrities. Now there is an old joke that says DC is Hollywood for ugly people. Okay, fair enough, And these days the line between the political world and the celebrity world has basically vanished, which probably Donald Trump is the premier aspect of this. He is the ultimate celebrity, is one of the most well known faces in the world, and he comes out of the celebrity world. Ronald Reagan came out of the acting world, but by the time he ran, he was a politician. To this day, Trump runs not as a politician. He runs as a populist. He is to his followers not a politician. And so the celebrity world really.
Speaker 2: Connects, you know.
Speaker 1: For example, last night, just before prime time, the campaign sent out a fundraising email from the VEEP star who showed up, Julia Lewis Dreyfus, and she says, I know a thing or two about Vice President. Of course, that was one of her TV shows. And let me tell you, Kamala Harris is the real deal. Guess who else was there? Okay, you talk about celebrity Spike Lee, Patti LaBelle, Common, Eva Longoria, Wendell Pierce, Sean Austen, don Cheatle.
Speaker 2: Also, the Democratic Party invited more than.
Speaker 1: Two hundred influencers and content creators that, well, we don't know about those. For the most part, it's celebrity world. Obama was the first president of the social media age, and he was complaining about Internet and how it influences political political campaigns. We chase the approval of strangers on our phones, We build all manner of walls around ourselves, and when we wonder why we feel so alone. Yeah, he's got a real problem with celebrities. Do you know any bigger celebrities in Barack and Michelle Obama? And they certainly don't rely on their celebrity, right. They have an innertainment company Oscar, winning documentaries, Netflix movies.
Speaker 2: They cut a deal. Both have written extremely popular memoirs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Clintons have done the same thing. They've taken their politics and have become celebrities. Unlike Ronald Reagan, Unlike George W.
Speaker 2: Bush.
Speaker 1: Ronald Reagan got two million dollars a speech, but he didn't come out as a celebrity.
Speaker 2: He's a former president. Same thing with George W.
Speaker 1: The Obamas and the Clintons are celebrities, and at the same time, the Obama is putting all of that down. And one of the other things I want to point out is when you talk about celebrity power and now the Internet is connected with all that. After that disastrous debate performance that Joe Biden had which started, well, actually didn't start at What it did is put a lid on the coffin of his president is run for or second term. You know, the argument was he's too old. Well, you know, look what he did at the debate. I mean he just lost track.
Speaker 2: He was old.
Speaker 1: I mean he looked old, he was old, and he lost track of what was going on. So what you had in terms of getting rid of Joe Biden, Remember he argued, I'm staying, I'm staying, I'm staying. You know, when I'm pushed down, I get up. That's what I'm about.
Speaker 2: You know what really pushed him over the edge.
Speaker 1: Pelosi certainly hockeym Jeffries, Schumer all were part of it, trying to say, hey, it is time for you to go. You cannot run, you don't have a path to win against Donald Trump, which was absolutely true.
Speaker 2: So you know who really tipped the barrel? The straw on the camel's tip of the barrel? Iceberg, the monkeys in the barrel that tip over? Do I have that right drunk?
Speaker 1: No, No, I'm just trying to figure out the phrase straw that broke the camel's back.
Speaker 2: Okay, that was a little that was a.
Speaker 1: Little shtick, all right, fine.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: But the straw that did break the camel's back on this one was George Clooney. George Clooney probably had more influence, certainly in our perception.
Speaker 2: He wrapped it up.
Speaker 1: Why because the influence that George George Clooney has not only with the public, but also within the Democratic Party. I mean, he's considered a major donor, not a mega donor. I think there are donors that out mega Hymn by a long shot. But the celebrity of George Clooney joining the crowd and saying it is time for Joe Biden to step aside and of course, everybody, a lot of we love Joe Biden at the convention, a lot of he put the country first, which is a crock. By the way, he would have fought like crazy, but for the fact that senior leaders and the Democratic Party said get out to the extent that it was a coup, as is argued by the Republicans, it wasn't a coup. It wasn't someone taking it over. It wasn't Kamala Harris taking it over. It was simply the decision that we're not going to win. That's it unless we get rid of Joe Biden and forcing him out.
Speaker 2: That was the reality.
Speaker 1: Okay, uh now uh, there has been a deal finally reached between California publishers and Google. What is going on with California publishers. I'm talking about little regional local papers. No one's buying them and they're not selling any advertising because the Internet is it. And the argument has always been Google, Google, which publishes this. You go on Google and then you go to whatever news source the internet source Google.
Speaker 2: Google never paid for this.
Speaker 1: And the advertisers, or at least the papers, the local papers, are saying, you're using our stuff and you're not paying for it. Therefore that's unfair. Why do they care. They're not making any money anymore, they're going out of business. They're using Google so they can write stories. That's what's going on, the fear of losing local news.
Speaker 2: Outlets, and it's a legitimate fear.
Speaker 1: And that's across the board. Newspapers get to hit too. I get the Sunday Times every Sunday. I happen to like the La Times. You know. I love getting the ink on my fingers and it streaks across my bagels. It's just something that I enjoy doing the La Times. Have you seen the paper recently? It is a fraction of what it used to be a fraction. It used to be a phone book, and now it looks like a local small paper. Unfortunately, advertisers just they're often a different direction, that's all. And it's the shame of it is, and it's not even a shame, the reality of it is. Hey, you know what, maybe your model is just gone. I'm telling you, five ten years from now, you will not be listening to radio this program. Well, it depends on whether I'm going to broadcast from my old age home. But five ten years from now, it's not gonna be terrestrial radio. You're not gonna see those big antennas up and I won't be talking to you on radio at all. I'll be talking to you on devices and the transmission will go on the Internet. It's just changed completely. I mean, it's a different world. And have we gotten hit Well, I guess to an extent we have, But then we've moved over to use the internet.
Speaker 2: Broadcasters can do that. Local papers cannot.
Speaker 1: They need those advertising dollars for their ads, especially the personal ads.
Speaker 2: And they used to do great, great personal ads. You know, all the crazy sex stuff.
Speaker 1: You know, man looking for kangaroo for an enjoyable afternoon.
Speaker 2: Well now you can't even run those classified.
Speaker 1: Now you go on the Internet and go sex with kangaroos and then you join the chat room. What kind of kangaroos? Wallabies or big kangaroos? What kind of sex? Can't do that in a classified And of course the big ads from the big department stores.
Speaker 2: What department stores you're buying on Amazon? Okay?
Speaker 1: The ads from restaurants, right, what restaurants buy on in newspapers or magazines?
Speaker 2: They don't. The point is struggling.
Speaker 1: To do this is difficult, so there's been an ongoing fight Google in the California publishers have cut a deal two hundred and fifty million dollars over the next five years from Google pays one fourth No, one fourth of the money comes from taxpayers in the state.
Speaker 2: The remainder comes from Google.
Speaker 1: Also, they're looking for private donors, and it's you being used to set up a graduate school of journalism at UC and a fun to distribute millions of millions of dollars to California news outlets.
Speaker 2: Read local regional papers. I also enjoy the Wall Street Journal.
Speaker 1: My weekend are is hard newspapers, not hard, but newspapers.
Speaker 2: I just love them for just great reading.
Speaker 1: So Sunday it's the La Times and the New York Times. Saturday it's the Wall Street Journal. I mean, don't you just love trying to fold over a pa a paper and it crinkles in the middle and you can't quite get it and you get so frustrated when you try to fold it over.
Speaker 2: That's fun. That is fun. All right.
Speaker 1: This is KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 1: Catch my show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.