Speaker 1: Kathy and Elliott Lewis on stage. Kathy Lewis Elliott Lewis, two of the most distinguished names in radio, appearing each week in their own theater, starring in a repertory of transcribed stories of their own. And you're choosing radio's foremost players and radio's foremost plays. Drama, comedy, adventure, mystery, melodrama, ladies and gentlemen. Mister Elliott Lewis, Good Evening, May I present My wife Kathy Good Evening.
Speaker 2: Four weeks ago tonight, we did a lovely, fragile story called Call Me a Cab, which was written for us by the very talented Shirley Gordon. You were kind enough to write so many letters about the show that we asked Shirley Gordon to do another script for us, and she did, and we're going to present it tonight.
Speaker 1: This new story is called The Bunch of Violets, and that's what it's about. Oh uh, one other thing you should know before we start. It's often been said that a man continually surrounds himself with the same woman, and to prove this, tonight, while I'm being Clint Westcotte, Kathy is going to play my wife, My mother and my secretary. Wow, so now the preliminary is over. The Bunch of Violets by Shirley Gordon.
Speaker 3: When you almost ready.
Speaker 1: Horrible, what did you say? Well, I heardn't fav you learn.
Speaker 4: Well, your breakfast is getting cold. M I wish you would answer me when I called you.
Speaker 1: Why I said you Ay said I haven't shaved yet.
Speaker 4: Well I didn't hear you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Anyway, your breakfast is gonna be cold and you're gonna be late.
Speaker 1: Uh huh uh. There's a hole in this sock. I was gonna wear my brown suit.
Speaker 4: I'll look to your socks today, build something, fix them tomorrow while she's here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh, check my shirts too. What do you this collar? It's about shot.
Speaker 4: We'll keep it on, keep it on. It's all right for one more wearing. I gonna have time to eat any breakfast.
Speaker 1: We'll have some coffee. Where'd that's cufflink?
Speaker 4: Go here?
Speaker 1: Oh? Thank great this time? Yeah it's okay. Yeah, coffee stole hot?
Speaker 4: How poor?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 4: Better at least have some toes with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I'll get stoping after I get to the office. Yeah.
Speaker 4: You always say that, and they hope you do.
Speaker 1: No, I do coffee's hot.
Speaker 4: I mean you've got a few minutes of a little water in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You'll be home on time tonight, won't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I try to beat We told them Martins.
Speaker 4: We meet them there at seven thirty of them. Uh huh, So try to be on time.
Speaker 1: Yes, I will right there, right, I don't think it's about.
Speaker 4: Oh, coffee is still too hot?
Speaker 3: Violence?
Speaker 1: Mister?
Speaker 4: Why fresh bunch of violence?
Speaker 3: Only thirty five cents?
Speaker 1: Oh? No, thanks, Come on.
Speaker 3: Mister, Look how pretty they are?
Speaker 1: No, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: So everybody loves violence?
Speaker 1: Well, sure, Sonny, only not now It's Monday morning and I'm late forul work and I just haven't got any use for any vi.
Speaker 3: Why didn't you take something to work with you? Th they'll make your day a lot nicer, see if they don't.
Speaker 1: Now, look, Sonny, you're a good little sales.
Speaker 3: Thirty five cents won't hurt you in Okay.
Speaker 1: Kid, you win? Give me the violence, Hey, I keep the change.
Speaker 5: Geez, thanks mister, thanks a lot. You won't be sorry after all? What harm can there be in buying a little bunch of violence?
Speaker 4: Good morning, mister Westcott. Oh, Mr Simmonds, send in some correspondence. He wants you to attend to your first thing this morning. I put it on your.
Speaker 1: Desk, right, it's probably the Johnsons.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's the Johnson folder.
Speaker 1: Good, I get out it right away. I'll probably need you a pre dictation in about half an hour, yes.
Speaker 4: Sir, Oh, yes, mister Wescott.
Speaker 1: Uh here, I brought these in for you. I thought you might like to have 'em on your desk. Bios.
Speaker 4: Thank you, mister Westcott.
Speaker 1: You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Yes, miter Westcott, if you aren't going to need me just now, would you mind if I went out for a few minutes to get some coffee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, that's gonna take me longer than I thought anyway, brings him back with you.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, Barbara, listen, can you get out for coffee now? Good, I'll meet you downstairs. I got something to tell you.
Speaker 6: But golly, Ruth, I don't understand it.
Speaker 4: You don't understand it.
Speaker 2: Look, I've been mister Clinton Westcotte secretary for two and a half years, and in all of that time, believe me, it's hardly ever even said good morning to me when he came in. Now, on all of a sudden, today he brings me a bunch of violets.
Speaker 1: Well that's what I.
Speaker 4: Don't understand him, Violet.
Speaker 5: After all, you know, roses are red, violets are blue and social worst.
Speaker 4: Firebu what are you support?
Speaker 1: I mean, what do I suppose?
Speaker 4: What is it to suppose? Oh that's impossible. Well I've been mister Westcott's secretary for for two and.
Speaker 1: A half years.
Speaker 6: You said that, so alrighty, slow slow up to now?
Speaker 4: I thought he was dead.
Speaker 2: Well, anyway, now that you've discovered old Achilles has a heel, make the most of it.
Speaker 4: Raise a blister on it?
Speaker 1: What sure?
Speaker 4: Play his game? Threw him right out on a limb and let him dangle until he gives you a raise. Oh it's ridiculous. It wouldn't work. You're a woman and he's a man.
Speaker 6: It'll work.
Speaker 1: Just try it. Mm yours the city team, m M yeah, your coffee? Right, you can put it down on the best.
Speaker 4: Mm sugar, no creed right? What I always remember?
Speaker 1: Remember what?
Speaker 4: Who, mister Westcott? Do you find me disturbing?
Speaker 1: Not until today?
Speaker 4: Imagine after two and a half years.
Speaker 1: That's right, what's happened to you today?
Speaker 4: Nothing's happened to me, mister Westcott.
Speaker 1: Well, something may mister. In the meantime, however, I should like first to make certain that this Johnson account gets taken care of.
Speaker 4: Would you like to give me some dictation, mister Westcott?
Speaker 1: Yes, I'd like that very much. Oh, mister, and you may stop calling me mister Westcott. Why mister Rott? Uh uh uh Clinton. Oh well, now that's sweet. That's what my mother calls me.
Speaker 4: Clinton.
Speaker 1: Yes, like that exactly.
Speaker 4: Imagine after two and a half years.
Speaker 1: No, my mother's known me most of my life.
Speaker 4: I'd like to meet your mother sometime.
Speaker 1: How about some time after we take care of mister Johnson's account.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, mister john.
Speaker 1: You remember him.
Speaker 4: You were going to give me some dictation, that's right.
Speaker 1: But on second thought, I'm sure you can compose the letter yourself from my notes. Here you are. I think I'll go out and get a little breakfast and you can have the report ready for me to sign when I come back.
Speaker 2: But you didn't drink the coffee I brought you wasn't too cold, too hot?
Speaker 1: It burned the burn on my tongue. Well, Wescotte, good money? Oh hi, ed soada, I have some coffee. I've had it. I'm an exit. Good Why don't you have a little breakfast, Caddie say. Now seems to me you're eating hearty considering, considering what this first thing I've had to eat this morning. Let love eateth its.
Speaker 7: Way into the height of a hungry man, and he shall soon forgeteth his stomach.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 8: We?
Speaker 1: I guess that isn't the way it goes.
Speaker 7: I think I read it somewhere, but I can't remember exactly how it went. Well anyway, old man.
Speaker 1: You get the idea. I don't, and I'm not sure that I want to. All I'd like to know is what's wrong with everybody this morning? You should get a load of my secretis.
Speaker 7: And old man, didn't take me any two and a half years to get a load of your secretary. I've always thought she was quite a dish. A matter of fact, I'm surprised it's taken you so long to start showing her your appreciation.
Speaker 1: If you know what I mean? What do you mean? What's cooking with my secretary?
Speaker 4: To they?
Speaker 1: Anyway?
Speaker 7: Apparently if I'm all I hear old man, who uh from all?
Speaker 1: What you hear? Old man? Well?
Speaker 7: Oh love Clinton, oh boy, don't go getting sore headed about it.
Speaker 1: After all?
Speaker 7: Can I help it if your secretary tells my secretary and my secretary.
Speaker 1: Tells me, tells you?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: Why that you brought her flowers this morning?
Speaker 7: After all, old man, I'm not the only one who knows the whole building is talking about you mean all this.
Speaker 1: Is over, that silly little bunch of violet. Huh So then it was violent?
Speaker 7: Well I didn't know you had it in the old man.
Speaker 1: Well that only goes to show not the old man you think I am. I'll see you late.
Speaker 7: Wait a minute, old boy, you haven't finished your cop m.
Speaker 1: What's the matter? Burn your tongue? What tongue?
Speaker 4: Oh you're back, mister Wesker Clinton.
Speaker 1: Mm h the job report is ready for you to sign. Mm mm uh.
Speaker 4: Is there anything wrong? Did you have your breakfast?
Speaker 1: Yes? I had my breakfast.
Speaker 4: But you're going out again? Where shall I say?
Speaker 1: You are out to lunch? Oh? And I shall want these? Thank you for keeping them for me.
Speaker 4: The violes? What are you going to do with them?
Speaker 1: Miss Periwinkle? Ruth hum. This may come as a sort of a shock to you, but I feel that it is only fair for you to know. M there is only one woman in the world, who can call me Clinton and get away with it? My mother, therefore, the violets are for her. You are listening to Kathy and Elliott Lewis on stage Tonight's play The Bunch of Violins. Remember radio as it used to be, the days when the battery ran down, and so did your set. We'll make no damaging admissions about your age, but tune in tomorrow night when there's music in the air. Over most of these same stations. Your baritone host Donald Richards, Tenor Clark, Dennis, Betty Johnson, the Serenaders, and Alfredo Antonini's orchestra take us back to the old time radio with music, songs, and even the production and sounds of that era. Tomorrow night on CBS Radio.
Speaker 6: Mister westcount come in, he lawyer. Your mother's gonna be so surprised. You didn't call first.
Speaker 1: Did you. No, I didn't know I was coming. How is she?
Speaker 6: Oh? Fine, snappy is a turtle, same as always. You know how your mother is?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: You she's up in your room.
Speaker 1: I think, missus Westcott, Uh, never mind, I I'll just go on up. You might bring some coffee though, h of course it's miss Pepper, myther. You in here.
Speaker 4: Why Clinton, whatever's brought you here in the middle of the day like this? Is there anything wrong?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, no, just found myself free this noon and I've been meaning to get over it.
Speaker 4: And I'll have that to fix you some lunch, so I I.
Speaker 1: Told her, just coffee. I had a light breakfast.
Speaker 4: M doubt that you ever eat the way you should. Can't sick. You're looking your vest, You're way too thin.
Speaker 1: Why I feel just fine? Mother?
Speaker 4: What is that you have there in your hands but bunch of violets?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yes, violets. Uh would you like to have a bunch of violets? Mother?
Speaker 4: Isn't that strange? I never cared for via? But now you sure? There isn't something wrong. Are you feeling well?
Speaker 1: Uh? No, no, I feel just fine.
Speaker 2: Mother, Probably coming down within the cold. You shouldn't wear that light suit on a day like today.
Speaker 1: Oh it's it's a beautiful day outside, and I haven't had a cold in month.
Speaker 4: It's just the same.
Speaker 2: This is just the time of the year you should guard against catching a cold.
Speaker 4: Just can't tell about whether like this. What you ought to do is wear that sweater I needed for you underneath your coat. Never see you wear that sweater anymore?
Speaker 1: Well, I would wore it all winter long. Mother. It's a beautiful sweater. But but it's too warm to wear it now it's spring.
Speaker 4: It's just it's spring.
Speaker 7: Cold.
Speaker 4: Are so chretch?
Speaker 1: I I feel fine, mother, just fine.
Speaker 4: That always used to catch a cold in the spring.
Speaker 1: Well, not since I was eight or nine years old.
Speaker 2: Mother, I think what you ought to do is not buy and have doctor Greenson give you something.
Speaker 1: Well, I will, first chance I get. I promise to day.
Speaker 4: I'll call him to make sure you do all.
Speaker 1: Right to day. And uh, but I picked these up for my office and over to you like that. Uh, they'll probably come sometime.
Speaker 4: L Clinton, dear now tell her she's such a dear girl.
Speaker 1: Well, she's fine, mother, she's just fine. Good your coffee, oh thank you, Annah, God looks good.
Speaker 2: Be careful Clinton, and his coffee is always too hot to drink.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter, mother, I think my tongues developed an immunity.
Speaker 4: Anna live.
Speaker 2: Want you to listen for the door this afternoon. Clinton tells me he's ordered a lovely floral piece for me. It should arrive in just a little while.
Speaker 6: Now, I'll watch for it. Missus WesCom. It's very nice, mister Westcott. I see you brought a pretty little bunch of violets, and.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, if you'd like to have the manor you may, I was just going to take them down to the office.
Speaker 6: Very nice of you, but I had my own little flower garden out in the back, you know, and it just keeps my room looking like a floor shop as it is. Anyway, time you think you're taking your little bouquet away from you, you just keep those lovely violets and enjoy them.
Speaker 1: M Hello, Sarah, how are you ow?
Speaker 4: I'm mister Westcott.
Speaker 6: We haven't seen you in a long time. Hope there's nothing.
Speaker 1: Wrong, No, there isn't. But I'd like to see the doctor for a minute.
Speaker 6: If he's the certainly go right in. You be pleased to see you.
Speaker 1: You're good? Oh uh? Do you like violets, Sarah?
Speaker 6: I just love them?
Speaker 1: Oh well, here would you like to have.
Speaker 6: Any other time? I'd love to have some, mister Westcott. But you see, the doctor serves at the hospital the rest of this week in the office to be closed, and as it happens, I'm not going directly home from work tonight. I'm afraid they'd only die. It'd be ashamed just to waste them like that.
Speaker 1: You're so pretty, yeah, you're well? Sure, Well, but you can keep away a cold? Well? Yes, thanks, yes, I would.
Speaker 6: And don't worry about them. I'll remind you to take them when you leave.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks again, hellover Clinton. Hello Doc, well siphan, it brings you here. You're looking well. Oh no, I'm a fine, Doc, just fine. Only I thought maybe you could give me something to help keep away a cold. Mm. You feel like you're catching a cold. What have your symptoms be? Well, there haven't exactly been any symptoms, Doc, it's only well this time of year, you know spring. Well, what's wrong with this time of year? It's beautiful out. But I suppose there's no harm in taking a few precautions, is no, that's right, Doc, That's what I mean. Well, let me see now maybe a new vite of being a little you have a Doc, I don't really that should do the trick. A shot? Uh, well, just the vitamin should be fine, Doc, I think they do the trick. I don't see that there's any need for a shot to you. Well, now, it's the surest way if you really want to protect you well, yes, but well, I I really feel fine. It's only day here now though, it's we'll just sting a little. Give a Doc, I don't really think you have Hey, now that wasn't so bad, was it. Oh? Now you can go out in this beautiful warm spring weather and not worry about catching your death pneumonia. Okay, Sarah will fix you up with the vitamin prescription. Yeah, thanks, doc, it's that's the place safe. You know you you you can't tell about this kind of weather. Oh, you're perfectly rights can't tell. Yes, thanks Sarah. I don't Clinton. Oh what's that, Doc? And when you stop by the seer today?
Speaker 4: Just how it was your mother?
Speaker 1: Fine? Doc, she's just fine.
Speaker 6: Wait a minute, mister Whitcott, you're vitamin Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, thanks Sarah. I almost forgot.
Speaker 6: And it's a good thing I said I'd remind you you were gonna go ride out the door without your violet.
Speaker 1: Uh? And he calls for me, miss.
Speaker 2: Terrywinkel Ruth, No, sir, No they haven't been mister westcut Clinton, your whole building was talking about. Oh, forgive me for this morning.
Speaker 4: But I just couldn't understand what had gotten into you.
Speaker 2: After all, I've been your secretary for two and a half years and you've never even.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess I usually don't even say hello. Now. This morning was sort of fun though, that that wasn't it. You know, the whole building was talking about I know. I'm afraid I stock well, no harm done.
Speaker 4: Wait, he's still have the violets. I thought you were gonna take them.
Speaker 1: To your money. Oh yes I was, but I changed my mind. You wanna back again?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, no, if you don't mind, My boyfriend's picking me up tonight.
Speaker 4: He's the jealous type.
Speaker 1: Oh I see. And besides, the building would start talking again. You know how buildings are. I can't keep their mouths shut. I guess I'll just keep it myself. I'm becoming sort of attached to them. Or would you get a good flower shop on the phone for me? Please don't take me.
Speaker 8: Off, Yes, sir, one moment please, mister westcut. Your call's on one.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank's ittle rough the old buying is office. Yeah, thanks, old girl.
Speaker 4: You're welcome, old man.
Speaker 1: To missus Westcott. That's right. Yes, make sure it's very elaborate and have it delivered this afternoon without fail.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 1: That'll be fine, thank you. A bunch of violets in your hands? What are you doing pick some things up for your wife? No, it's my mother.
Speaker 7: Well I don't know how your mother fits into the act. But you're sweet violets, kay, for sure? Cause the stir around here today? Did I tell you the whole building was talking about?
Speaker 1: Told me? You told me.
Speaker 7: You can't blame anybody for talking about it, can you? I mean, it isn't exactly like you all of a sudden to show up one morning with a bunch of violets in your hands.
Speaker 1: How did you ever happen to get them anywhay? A kid was selling them on a street corner, so I bought some no reason.
Speaker 7: Well I think they look just darling on your desk, old man, don't let anyone tell you any difference. Violets they come.
Speaker 1: You shut up. I'm not gonna keep them on my desk. But you can't throw away good flowers just because nobody wants them.
Speaker 7: You're not me.
Speaker 1: Why don't you take them home to your wife? No?
Speaker 7: No, no, not get me into trouble. Me bring Mabel home a bunch of violets.
Speaker 1: Never be able to explain it.
Speaker 7: The million years I'd never be able to convince her I hadn't done something wrong.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't have a moment's piece for weeks.
Speaker 7: She'd never stop talking about it, and then on everything I did, she'd be suspicious.
Speaker 1: No, you don't.
Speaker 7: You're not getting me into trouble with your crazy.
Speaker 1: But all right, all right, I know what i'll do. I'll take them with me and I can give them back to the kid that sold them to me. They're still fresh. He can sell them over again, make himself an extra thirty five cents what I should have done in the first place. Let him keep his violence. Hello there, remember me? No, Look, you sold me some this morning. So see, I still haven't.
Speaker 3: Was there something wrong with a mystery? They still?
Speaker 1: Look? They sure do. I imagine they would last me a lifetime if I cared to hang on to them that long. But look, I didn't want them this morning, and I don't want them tonight, And that's why I brought them back to you.
Speaker 3: Geez.
Speaker 1: It isn't that I've got anything against violets, you understand. It's only that I just don't happen to have any use for Like I told you this morning, So do me a favorite wit you and just take them back. But Jamus, I don't mean I want my money back. I just want to get rid of the violets. You can sell them over again. They're still fresh enoughs.
Speaker 3: But I couldn't do that. It wouldn't be fairs. What kind of business man.
Speaker 5: You think I am? Anyway, I don't still use merchandise to anyone.
Speaker 1: Okay, then just keep them, give them away to somebody. I don't care what you doing, mister.
Speaker 5: I already got more violets, but I know what to do with now. I still got six bunches left to sell tonight. Look, maybe if you bought another bunch to add what you already got.
Speaker 1: Looky, look, I'll put paul. I want you to take these backs.
Speaker 5: Sorry, mister, I just don't accept returned merchandise. It's the policy of the management. I'm sure you don't want another.
Speaker 1: No, No, I don't know more violets. I'll take an evening paper though. Here here's the name, sure, mister.
Speaker 5: Glad to be a service here you are. Look, I'll put the keep around the flowers like like like that. It don't keep nice and fresh for you. Thanks, You're welcome, mister.
Speaker 8: Night in here.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. I'm a little late. I couldn't help him.
Speaker 4: You better hurry and change. We don't have much time.
Speaker 1: Well, I won't take me long. You won't take look at the paper?
Speaker 4: Why didn't you tell me your first re hung?
Speaker 1: You're shut? H you're here? Thanks? You better hurr No, I won't take me long.
Speaker 4: What's the headline in the paper tonight?
Speaker 1: Well I didn't look at it yet?
Speaker 2: You look mm clan?
Speaker 1: What's matter? What's to say?
Speaker 4: Why didn't you tell me?
Speaker 1: Tell you what?
Speaker 2: That's the nicest thing you've ever done? Whatever made you think of buying me a bunch of vials?
Speaker 1: A bunch of Violet's starring Kathy Insbury and death mister and missus Lewis will tell you about next week's play. This Saturday night, don't miss the Case of the Trip North, dramatized for CBS radio listeners by Gangbusters. It's a true crime story taken some actual police records, the account of a free, shooting, fast and crooked honeymoon that blazed a track from the Deep South to the Big City, a track of robbery and death. Remember it's on Gangbusters this Saturday night on most of these same stations. Presented by CBS Radio and now once again Kathy and Elliott Lewis.
Speaker 4: Thank you Shirley Gordon for the bunch.
Speaker 1: Of violence, and thank you Kathy for being all women in my life, mother, wife.
Speaker 2: Secretary while I was your secretary. Next to all of them sentencipy friend Barbara. And when I was your mother, Peggy Webber was her housekeeper Anna.
Speaker 1: And of being that kind of a night when I went to see the doctor Byron Kine to his friends, Peggy Webber returned in another uniform to play his nurse.
Speaker 2: Then Dick Beales sold you the violets on the street corner, and lou Merrow plagued.
Speaker 4: You at your office.
Speaker 1: And our deep thanks to all of them, since at.
Speaker 2: That time of the year I find myself in exactly the same position as most of you women listening.
Speaker 4: My husband once again is.
Speaker 2: Studying batting averages and pitching styles.
Speaker 4: And so next week tell everyone dear next.
Speaker 1: Week a dramatization of Casey at the bass.
Speaker 2: Until then, thank you for listening, and good night, good night, enjoy.
Speaker 1: Young doctor Malone. Music for tonight's story was composed and conducted by Fred Steiner. The Kathy and Elliott theme is by Ray Noble and the program is transcribed and directed by mister Lewis. George Wall speaking and remember listen while you work. Enjoy Young Doctor Malone every Monday through Friday in the daytime on the CBS Radio network