Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI han KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: Halloween, Halloween, Halloween, go Day.
Speaker 4: Ooh, it's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 5: Halloween's boots outside my window, Halloweens boots Filogy.
Speaker 6: Where's that?
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock. This is your wake up call for Tuesday, October twenty ninth, just two days from Halloween. I'm Amy King, Good morning. Can you taste it? A World Series win? Just one game away for the Dodgers? What a game last night? Wasn't that fun? I mean not if you're a Yankees fan, but if you're a Dodge that was a fun game. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. Attorney Mark Gergo says he's going to be seeking to recall the Menendez brothers murder convictions if they are re sentenced as recommended by La County DA George Gascon. Garrigo says he would ask for the lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter for Lyle and Eric Menendez, who murdered their parents in their Beverly Hills mansion in nineteen eighty nine. Vice President Kamala Harris will be speaking at the Ellipse in Washington, d C. Today to deliver what her campaign calls her closing arguments. She's speaking in the same spot we're former President Trump's book on January sixth, just ahead of the Capitol Riot and with the election a week away. We were going to be talking with ABC's Josh Morgoldian about why the Department of Homeland Security is putting out a warning that's coming up a little bit later, I believe. At five twenty Freddie Freeman on fire. The Dodgers first baseman hit a two run shot in the first inning of Game four last night, giving the Dodgers a lead they never lost. Freeman has now homered in all three World Series games this season. The Dodgers one last night, four to two. They're leading the series three games to one. Game four, nope, three games to none. Game four is tonight in New York, coming up at the bottom of the hour. We've always heard the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, but maybe we should be saying the way to a man's brain is through his stomach. We're gonna be talking with the author of Heal Your Gut and Save Your Brain. Really interesting stuff, and before the end of the show, we're going to be checking in with the host of How To Money on CAFI, Joel Larsgard, about the cost of a college degree and from a financial standpoint, whether everyone really needs one. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Dodgers manager Dave Roberts credits the team's pitching rotation for the Dodgers three to nothing lead in the World Series. LA beat the Yankees four to two last night, Game three. The Yankees didn't get any runs until the ninth inning. The Dodgers got an early lead thanks to a two run homer from Freddie Freeman, and pitcher Walker Buehler allowed just two hits with two walks and five strikeouts in five innings. Robert says the team needs to stay focused.
Speaker 7: Now, stay urgent, and there's just got to be urgency. I just don't want to let these guys up for air.
Speaker 1: Game four of the series, of course, tonight in New York, first pitch goes out at five eight. Dodgers fans in East LA have again taken to the streets to celebrate the team's win against New York. Crowds near Olympic and Atlantic Boulevards were seen dancing on the sidewalks and crosswalks last night, many waving Dodgers flags as well as brooms and hopes of a four game sweep. Several cars were also seen doing donuts in the intersection. La Keunty Sheriff's deputies and CHP officers blocked several intersections in the area. Nobody was hurt, and La County LA City Council committee is set to consider Mayor Bass's nominee to be the next LAPD chief. Bass announced her choice a former La County sheriff to McDonald earlier this month to replace Michael Moore, who retired in February. Council members will have the chance to question McDonald this afternoon about how he plans to lead the country's third largest police department. The California Air Resources Board is set told a vote that could spike gas prices despite some opposition.
Speaker 4: The board is set to vote next month on changes to a program meant to promote cleaner fuels. Republican Congressman Kevin Kylie says Californians are already getting crushed by fuel prices.
Speaker 3: We are about a dollar.
Speaker 4: Fifty above the national average for the highest in the country by along shot. We paid the highest gas tax in the country almost sixty cents. Kylie Co signed a letter with his Republican House colleagues from California last week urging the board to delay the vote and study costs. Officials for CARBS say they're legally required to make changes to the program by the end of the year. Blake Trolly k if I News.
Speaker 1: Last year, KARM estimated the changes could add up to forty seven cents per gallon, but then walk that number back after it decided to make changes to the proposal. The Kleinman Center for Energy Policy estimates the impact could mean an extra sixty five cents per gallon in twenty twenty five. Great signs have been posted up and down Hollywood Boulevard, the Sunset Strip, and other areas ahead of Halloween celebrations warning of up to six months in jail and a fine of up to one thousand dollars if you use silly string on Al Hallow's Eve. Silly string can cost thousands of dollars to cars, businesses, and even starts on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. So it's banned. It's five oh six on your Tuesday morning wake up call. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan.
Speaker 7: So Jim.
Speaker 1: A couple weeks ago, we talked about Robert Roberson, whose execution in Texan, Texas was paused. Yes, because shaken baby syndrome has been disc credited as a cause of death, at least that's part of it, and they wanted him to testify about that.
Speaker 5: Correct, Okay, testify before at Texas House committee, not a judicial committee, not a court, but the Texas House Committee. The Texas Supreme Court said, okay, we're going to go ahead and let him testify before that that House committee. He didn't testify at all because the Texas Attorney General stepped in and said, no, no, no, don't. We don't want him there in person. We don't want him at the capitol in person, because it's too big a hasshole to get him from death row to Austin and to the capital. And so he ended up not testifying at all.
Speaker 1: But because they wouldn't do it by a video or anything like that.
Speaker 5: Right, they felt that I mean he's autistic. Robert's autistic. He spends twenty three and a half hours a day by himself. Then he doesn't do well, you know, you're trying to communicate with other people, especially into talking into a camera and with a speaker there. So he didn't testify. But the gold case is now in limbo. I mean, it's just sitting there. No new execution date has been set. That won't happen until January, if it happens at all. But it's all led to kind of some infighting in Robertson's own family, right. The little girl who died is go back to two thousand and two. That's when little Nikki Curtis, who was two years old at the time, was taken to the hospital. Her father took her to the hospital. He had sole custody. Ever, by the way, I figured that out since then, but he had sole custody. Custody had been taken away from the mother. Roberson was caring for the child. She had been to the hospital dozens of times, doctor and hospital dozens of times in her short life. That last time she died in the hospital, doctors, nurses, and eventually the police suspected it was shaking baby syndrome, that Robertson had shaken the baby. He denied it, but was convicted and put on death row, as you know, Amy. Then in twenty thirteen, Texas passed something called the Junk Science Law, which allowed people who had been convicted of things like shaking baby syndrome to peel. And many people have been exonerated on that, not Robertson.
Speaker 1: So here's a question for you, still going back to that. If shaken baby syndrome is not an actual thing, right, you said, it's been debunded as a legal basis. Okay, what did the child die of?
Speaker 5: Ah? These the supporters of Robert Robertson say that because she'd been in the hospital so many times before this, it could have been pneumonia, it could have been encephalitis. There were some other things that may have caused her death, might have you know, led her to die. The brother though, of that kid, of that baby, now he's an adult, all these years later. That was that was twenty two years ago. The kid's brother, Nikki's aunt, the grandfather. They're saying, look, there are other things that contributed to this death. That and we think Robert Robertson was responsible. We still want him to die for this crime. Robertson's own brother, yesterday to Robertson, came to his defense and issued an open letter of his own saying, my brother didn't do this. He couldn't have heard that child, his own daughter. And you can tell this. I mean, it's it's all leading to this infighting. The case is still has no resolution.
Speaker 1: Okay, so but in reality what they're saying doesn't really matter because he's been convicted, the execution is only paused. Or could this lead to them reopening the case.
Speaker 5: They could the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals could take up the case again, and Robertson's attorneys are pushing for that. They want that the appeals court to take it up. But that could be affected by what happens next week in the election. Here in Texas, justice and judges are elected. It's a partisan election. I don't know about California, but judges are up for election based on party. And so three of the eight judges on the Court of Criminal Appeals are up for reelection next week, and so depending upon what happens with them, they're all three Republicans. Those three had all voted to continue the execution to go ahead with the executioner of Robertson, so that if those seats change, if the if the court suddenly becomes more conservative or more liberal, less conservative, I guess he'd say here in Texas, that could affect how that court hears Robertson's appeals. Right, So it could be that the election next week helps to decide whether Robert Robertson lives or dies.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's just everything is so complicated, you know, it's just crazy, and we're thankful that we have you there to help us take things out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've filled up my brain with all that stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, Jim Ryan, thank you so much for the info. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 7: THEA.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news from two more sexual assault allegations have been made against hip hop mogul Sean Combs. ABC's Chuck Sievertson says. In one of the lawsuits filed yesterday, Colmbs is accused of drugging and sexually assaulting a ten year old boy in two thousand and five at a hotel in New York City.
Speaker 5: The second lawsuit accuses Combs of similarly assaulting a seventeen year old would be contestant on the reality TV series Making the Band in twenty oh eight.
Speaker 1: Steverson says Combs's lawyers deny the claims, as they have others in a wave of lawsuits alleging sexual assault at parties and meetings over two decades. An actor who was involved in the January sixth attack on the US Capitol has been sentenced to a year in federal prison. Jay Johnston pleaded guilty in July to a felony count of civil disorder. He was fired from the animated Fox TV series Bob's Burgers after his involvement in January sixth. Surface A person has been killed in a suspected wrong way crash on the four h five in Carson. Another person is in critical condition. The CHP was called last night about four or five cars involved in a crash in the southbound lanes near Avalon Boulevard. The person killed died at the scene. The Pentagon says it now has evidence that roughly ten thousand North Korean troops are training inside Russia and likely headed to the border with Ukraine.
Speaker 6: The US says if the North Koreans do enter the war, they'll be considered fair gaming combats.
Speaker 8: This could mark a dangerous escalation in this conflict.
Speaker 1: ABCC in Panels's President Biden says, it's a very dangerous situation. A protected bike bike path in North Hollywood has received six hundred and fifty thousand dollars in federal funding.
Speaker 2: The Chandler Boulevard bike path is now closer to completion because of those federal funds. Congressman Toni Kardna says extending the protected path to the longer twenty mile g Line path, which travels to Chatsworth will open up opportunities for more people to choose bikes.
Speaker 7: We're going to be able to connect it end to end. It'll be continuous, safe for the family, leaves for the children, for people to go to work, or people to just recreate.
Speaker 2: Gardner says the car culture of the San Fernando Valley is changing and that projects like this help to ease traffic and to protect the environment in North Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Michael Monks KFI News. A rare dime that has been kept in a bank vault for more than forty years has sold at auction for five hundred and six thousand dollars. The dime is just one of two known to exist that were minted in San Francisco in nineteen seventy five without the s mint mark on it. Three sisters from Ohio inherited the dime after the death of their brother. You might have heard about this the International Space Station. There's some issues brewing up there where our friend Colonel Nick Haig is currently residing. Astronauts have been told to prepare for an urgent evacuation because of growing safety concerns. Nasen it's Russian counterpart of it, tracking fifty so called areas of concern related to a growing air leak aboard the station. NASA says the leak is on the Russian side of the space station and it is a top safety risk. Officials also say they've been aware there's been an issue since twenty nineteen, but the exact source of the leak is still unknown. I'd asked a friend of ours over at Space Force if they had any information about that, and he sent me another article basically saying that, yes, this has been going on. Yeah, they're probably pretty safe. They have reduced the leak that had like the air was leaking out a little bit faster, starting in I think February. They they're making some efforts in reducing the leaks, but there is still a little bit of air kind of seeping out. And what it reminded me of is the conversations that we've had with Colonel Haig. If you've listened to like a wake up call, you may have heard it when we were talking about how they're always planning for things to fail and they're so good at that, like they go, Okay, this is what's going on, Okay, how is that going to go wrong? And then they plan for it and have contingencies for it. So again, not that I'm an International Space Station expert, because I've had a couple of conversations with an astronaut, but I have a lot of confidence that the astronauts up on the space station know what they're doing, know what they're going to do if there is an emergency, and are planning for it. So of course we continue to hope and pray that they are safe and having a great time. It sure looks like Colonel Haig was having a great time when we got to talk to him on the International Space Station. But they're taking care of it. They're aware of it, and again this is it came out in the Daily Mail and it was very alarming. But I think that if you read longer and further in and go beyond the headlines, it's not maybe as severe as you're led to believe. If you just read the headlines. Again, they know what's going on. It's been going on for a while, and they're trying to figure it out. And I think that they're highly qualified and really smart people up there floating around in space. So we'll keep you posted as more information more information comes out about this, but for now, of course, Colonel Nickay, hope you're safe. Of course you will be. Some people who live in Rancho Palace Verdes are going to be offered a voluntary buy out for their property, which has been shifting from ongoing land movement. State and city leaders say the program's going to offer fair market value to owners whose homes are damaged or threatened. The forty two million dollars in funding will come from FEMA and the California Governor's Office of Emergency Services. Former Trump advisor Steve Bannon has been released from prison. Bannon has served his four month prison term on two counts of contempt of Congress for failing to comply with his subpoena related to the January sixth Capitol riot, and has already scheduled a press conference for later today. The Washington Post has reportedly lost more than two hundred thousand subscribers following a decision not to endorse a candidate in the presidential race, specifically Vice President Kamala Harris. The post, owned by Jeff Bezos, has more than two and a half million subscribers. It's the third largest circulation in the US. Let's say good morning to ABC's Josh Margolian, who is a chief investigative reporter for ABC. So, Josh, election Day is thankfully now just a week away, and the Department of Homeland securities worried. What are they worried about?
Speaker 7: Worried about political violence. They're worried that poll workers or election officials or infrastructure locations like drop boxes or polling places could be subjected to violence. And they have put this They've been saying it privately to law enforcement for months, saying it privately to us, and they have finally just tore and the vandaid off. They We obtained internal intelligence documents yesterday saying that they are concerned about it. They're concerned about quote unquote incitements that political leaders or other public figures are pushing messages that could be leading people that are following to take action into their own hands and do something potentially dangerous. And we saw up in Washington State and Oregon over the weekend that two ballot dropboxes were firebombed and some ballots were actually lost.
Speaker 1: Okay, I wanted to ask you about that. So it was one was in Portland and one was across the river in Vancouver, and right the one in Portland, like three ballots burned, but in Vancouver it was like hundreds of ballots, right.
Speaker 7: I think the final total was four hundred and nine. Now, fortunately it was just one day, right, So they they announced they've put out the hours when the ballots were collected, so they're telling people like you and me, if you were out there you had dropped your ballot off during these hours on this day, please contact us. And we know that mail in and drop off ballots have tracking devices on the outside envelope, not not the secret ballot part, but the outside, so they have barcodes, they have signatures, so you can call and say hey, I'm Josh I live at this address. Was my ballot destroyed? Do you still have it? And they might say, oh, we don't have it. It must be one of them. We'll give you a new ballot, or oh, we have your ballot. Don't worry about it. It's all done. It's done to make sure that there's not double voting. So they're doing that. It's I think the total number was four hundred and nine.
Speaker 1: It's it.
Speaker 7: First of all, any ballot lost is bad and nobody wants to see that. But the bigger issue for law enforcement is what this portends about what's to come.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, and did they give any specific warnings about what may be portending.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely, they they're saying that people need to be be concerned about. So they are saying, for inst it's with the ballot drop boxes. If you're in a jurisdiction where you can vote by mail and do a drop off, and you want to drop it off, you should drop off during daylight hours, during business hours. They are upping their collections so that way, in case anything happens, there are fewer ballots that might get damaged. They're going to up their surveillance and security of these locations. You know there already are security. Like a drop box in my community is at town hall, so there's already security over there. They're going to up camera coverage for things like that. We already know that in the drop boxes that were damaged, there were fire suppression systems. Obviously, the one in Portland worked very very well. The one in Vancouver not so much. But they're going to do that. They are taking measures, But the biggest thing is they want the public now to be aware that there's danger out there potentially, and there's danger because people are being pushed and incited to act out, and we have there are some small number of people in this country who want to act out and we'll commit violence irrespective of why.
Speaker 1: And well, speaking of the why, are they saying what is what? The why is like? Are they trying to interrupt the election process? Are they targeting certain one party over the other?
Speaker 7: I watch this stuff online all the time, and I can tell you that there is a lot There are a lot of people out there who say that they are motivated because of the messaging that says the election is rigged. But it's not exclusive to them, because there are plenty people out there who are just anarchists who want to just damage everything and everyone, And there are a lot of people out there who just want to commit acts of violence. The FEDS are not recommending to any one side, any one party to tamp down their rhetoric. They are saying that this environment has now created a situation where people who might want to commit violence are now feeling, you know, that they have room to run, so to speak.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting that they the people that they're warning against, the people who are weren't worried about a rigged election, because you would think that those people would want people to be able to actually vote. But whatever, I know that in La.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of strange logic out there. Yeah, in the corners of social media. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.
Speaker 1: I just stay away. I know that in La County we do have a track my Ballot feature that you can do, like you were talking about that you can go and track your where your ballot is if you do drop it off. So hopefully that will help ballots get to where they need to go. And one last question, Josh, what are some things that voters can do because we want people to get out and vote. They what are some things they can do to make sure that their ballot gets to where it needs to go.
Speaker 7: Well, the first thing they should do is vote. That's the most important thing.
Speaker 8: Just do it.
Speaker 7: Just vote whatever juristiction know how to vote in your community, and then do it. Does that mean dropping it in a mailbox? Does that mean dropping it at a drop box? Does that mean dropping it at the county clerk's office or some satellite tax office in La County? I don't know if you got to choose your own poison, so to speak, of what the most convenient thing is. Maybe it's early voting in person. A lot of jurisdictions already have that. If you are going to vote on election day, the most important thing is to do it as early as you can. I can speak for my own personal experience of having run into polling places as they were about to close. That's a bad idea. It's a bad idea for your own schedule, frankly, because if we're already seeing record turnout, so who really wants to spend all day at work and then traffic coming home then rush to the poll in place and then have to wait ninety minutes in line, So it's a bad idea for convenience sake. Go early, leave it, go in the morning, get it done, and if you want to vote in person. But it's important. It's also important to check your locations. In the last few years because of COVID, because of election security issues, a lot of polling places have changed. You know, a lot of schools no longer want polling in the school building. That for security reasons. So check it. Make sure you know where you're going. Are you going to the high school, Are you going to the library, are you going to some other location? Know that then, and make sure you have your ID just in case. I know that voter ID is always a big political and controversial issue. Just make sure you have your ID in case you see whatever. And then the most important thing is like everything else in the last twenty twenty five years, like they always say, since nine to eleven, if you see something, say something. If you go to your polling place, you go to a high school somewhere out in the valley or something, right, and you're out there and you see something weird, some guys hanging out looks like he's casing the place. Tell a cop, Tell somebody They would rather you say it than not say it and then don't believe what you see online. Law enforcement is very concerned that people will be discouraged from voting because they see something online. Oh my god, La County, this is just hypothetical. Obviously, La County polling places are being swatted today. It's very, very dangerous. It costs nothing for somebody to put that message on Twitter. Nothing. It could lead to my sister and brother in law not voting. So ignore it, Ignore the noise, Listen to legitimate news sources ABC KFI, plan to vote, Go and vote, don't be discouraged. It's a crazy world out there, but law enforcement has working on this and everybody has to really, you know, do their thing.
Speaker 1: Yep, you got it, Josh Margolian, Thank you, Margoline, Thank you so much. We appreciate all of the information and your passion for the voting process. Hey, I agree, day all right, you too, take care. Good information. We like that someone's on fire and guess what his name is?
Speaker 4: Ready, Donnie with a short lead a one two offering from Schmid Ready swings and belts able right field hooking toward the corner.
Speaker 6: Hello short parts, and Hello Freddy Freeman for a third straight game of this World Series, five straight World Series games overall. Freddy Freeman goes deep.
Speaker 1: Freddy's two run shot put the Dodgers in the lead. They never looked back and beat the Yankees four to two in Game three of the World Series. Game four is tonight again in New York. First pitch goes out at five oh eight. You can listen to the game live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast booth on AM five seventy LA Sports and NHD on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. The lawsuits are piling up. Two new lawsuits have been filed in New York against Sean Colmes, accusing him of sexually assaulting two boys. One was ten at the time, the other was seventeen. Both said they were auditioning for Combs. Dozens of lawsuits have been filed since Combs was arrested for sex trafficking and racketeering. Metro has launched the latest version of its app, which now allows writers to report safety, security and maintenance concerns. The app, Transit Watch three point zero, includes location based services, real time communication, and image sharing at six o five. It's handle on the news, someone firebombed a couple ballot drop boxes in the Northwest. Bill's going to talk about that. At five point fifty, we have the host of How to Money on KFI, Joel Larsguard's going to talk about the cost of a college degree and from a financial standpoint, whether everyone really needs one. But right now we all have one, and we all need one. It's our brains. Let's say good morning to gastro entrologist and health advocate, also the author of Heal Your Gut, Save Your Brain, doctor Partha Nandy. Good morning, doctor Nandy.
Speaker 8: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm great? So I want to dive right in because we have always heard that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, but maybe we should be saying the way to a man's brain is through his stomach.
Speaker 8: Exactly why I told you. You know, even if you're you know, somebody who's worried about the election, or if you're just a Yankee fan worried about losing the world's the series in record fashion, you get stressed, right, And what I talk about is your brain and your gut are completely related. So what am I talking about? I think if you can change your gut, you can change your brain. The brain and the gut talk to each other more than two teenagers in the Taylor Swift concert. I mean they are communicating constantly. So if you can make your guts better, and I offer this book how you can really make your gut better, you can change your brain because the signals that are there, just just for example, you know serotonin, We know about serotonin. Lots of drugs include serotonin. Your gut, believe it or not, makes ninety percent of it. So if you can change your gut to the better, you can you can change your brain. Simple ways of doing that we talk about is by changing what you do with that fork of yours, right, but stuff in your body like whole foods. Put fermented foods in your body, such as yogurt, cottage, cheese, you know, and then try to avoid processed foods as much as possible. I also say to people prescribe that move, move your body with purpose, have community and spirituality, and have a purpose driven life. I talk about the five plays and really be able to enhance your enhancing your gut to be able to change your brain for the better.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I want to dig into that a little bit more. But I want to back up for a second. So when you say the gut, you're not just talking about your stomach, you're talking Are you talking about your whole digestive system or what specifically are you talking about.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's a good point. So it's not just the stomach, it's the entire digestive system all you know, all of it includes a small intestine, the colon, all of it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, And you know, what you're saying makes sense because you know the old garbage in, garbage out thing. So, and you're talking about processed food and moving and all of that stuff. How do we avoid processed food? Because everybody says avoid processed food, it's not good for you, but it's everywhere and it's almost impossible to avoid.
Speaker 8: Well, I think there should be another day. It's get in your kitchen day. Today should be getting your darn kitchen day, which is actually go in your kitchen and actually make something instead of sitting there and watching you you're having a cup of coffee and calling, you know, like door Dash or somebody make food. So to me, when when my kids and I we actually cook the food, that's how you avoid processed foods. And you know, I'm not crazy. I don't think that. You know, you go to a birthday party with your own little meal brought to you. I think if you follow something called an eighty twenty or ninety ten ruh, eighty percent of time make cold foods inclemented foods, and ten to twenty percent of time you gotta go to a party or you're outside. You can't, you can't help it. But if you do that eighty twenty rollin and you're still better than ninety five percent of our country because you're right, there's there's there's stuff everywhere of all around you. You know, if you're in a city, you're anywhere in the community. To be able to have this process floods what I would say, but I do talk about something called purpose driven living. If you don't have a why, right, if you don't have a reason to do this, you're not going to do it, meaning that you have to find a reason. For me. I want to be around for my kids and my grandkids, not in a nursing home, cooked up to a tube. I want to be thriving. And we know multiple studies have shown that if you can live this way, you can live to vitality in your eighties nineties, and in some cultures they call them blue zones to one hundred and live and thrive. So that's what I talk about. You've got to have a reason to do this. Otherwise you're not going to No matter of ylight a book where ten people tell.
Speaker 1: You okay, And doctor Nandy, you made the connection between your brain and your gut, and you're saying, if you take care of your gut, you can heal your brain. So, like you said, you don't end up in a nursing home not knowing anybody who's around you, but you can, you know, keep your brain thriving as well. How do you make that connection?
Speaker 8: Yeah? So I made that connection because my dad had a devastating stroke and you know, he was very healthy and guy's never in the hospital, never never had any problems. When he had the stroke, we had no reason why, and we spend the next decade really doing everything for me, missed out and his grandkids in his life. So I said to myself, we got to find a reason why. I'm through research. You know, I'm a gash from grologist to research that we didn't have then when you had the stroke where we do now we know that the gut and inflammation, and the gut can lead to inflammation all throughout your body. Remember the gut wall is where all all your food and all your toxins come through. If you don't have a good gut wall and don't decrease inflammation, the gut inflammation can spread to all parts of your body, including your brain, and then start brain inflammation. And every three seconds someone's diagnosed with dementia, every six seconds someone diagnosed to Alzheimer's, every four minutes someone dies the stroke. This is a crisis. And I think if you do some of the things I talk about in the book, like your recipe and the simple tips, you can really change your life and uplift it. So when you have Alzheimer's at age seventy, it actually started at age fifty. If you have Clark Parking Sims at age sixty, it's actually start at age forty. So time to act is not when you have the disease, but before it and a big simple things like I talk about, you know, purpose driven living, move with purpose, have have a decent diet, have community and spirituality that would uplift your life to prevent these devastating diseases start taking over our country. As a physician, I see even at the gastrologercy Countleistation suffering from this. I think we have a great chance to make now, make the changes because we have the research to show this connection that's really present throughout all in all parts of the world.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like how you're saying, do it now, don't wait until there are the symptoms. It's sort of like with you know, people are seeing skin cancer when they're fifty. It's because of the sunburn they got when they were ten.
Speaker 8: One hundred percent and there's only doc.
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 8: I don't need your health because I'm fine, and say, well, in your body, if I go into your gut and I look at the look at the gut wall, I bet you that pepperoni pizza along with the cheesy fries and the diet drink did not help your gut wall. Right, And if you do it several times a day, you can see changes need in your gut, the same changes you see in the brain of a Parkingson disease. So the gut wall can have the same Louis bodies that you see in Parkinson's brains. I mean, we the evidence is all around us. We just have to act on it. And like you said, just like try to put some sunscreen on so that you don't have the skin cancer twenty years later. Try to be able to do the things to protect your gut so you can thrive in your seventies and not seenurologists and take medicine just to be able to walk. So that's the key. You can do it, and you have the power to do it. And that's what we call it being a health hero, making your health and your wellness your priority, and we all have the power to do that.
Speaker 1: I love it that we have the power to do it. So getting inflammation down is a key factor. And I know that you go much more in depth about this in your book. It's called Heal your Gut, Save Your Brain, Doctor Nandy. Where can people get that and get more information.
Speaker 8: You can go to Amazon. They can go to Barnes and Nobles and New York Times, follow Suits and everywhere you can you can get books. You can go to our website, but really you know, anywhere books are sold. You can get the book as a present. So I'm proud of it, and I hope that it can change lives.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm reading through some of the recipes. They look kind of delicious. So doctor Nandy, thank you so much for the information. Good for us to know. Act now, don't wait until you start seeing symptoms. Get your brain healthy too. Thanks so much. Have a great.
Speaker 8: Day, you two. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that was really interesting and I'm holding the book right now, and I haven't had a chance because I just got it, so I've only been able to sort of briefly look through it. But really interesting information. Like I said, some of the recipes look pretty good, and it just sounds like it's it's not that hard to do. And wouldn't it be great to be ninety years old and be vibrant and thriving and seeing your kids and your grandkids. I like that option because I've seen the others. Another oil refinery in the La area could be closing. Last week, Philip sixty six announced it would close its La facility by the end of next year. Now Valero says it could be next. And Israeli strike on a five story building in the northern Gaza strip is killed at least sixty people. According to Gaza's Health Ministry, as Belah announced that it has chosen Sikh name Kassam as its new leader and has promised to stick to Hassan Nasraala's policies until it says victory is achieved. Grab Lover's going to have to wait a little bit longer. The dungeness crabs season along the California coast has been delayed, pushed back from November fifteenth to December first. State officials say the delay will protect migrating humpback whales from getting tangled in fishing equipment. I think I can justify waiting for dungeness crab a couple weeks for that. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, State Farm has some splinan to do. It's being accused of boosting profits at the same time it's saying it needs a thirty percent rate hike. Let's say good morning to the host of How to Money on KFI. It's Joel Larsgard. Joel. Sorry to keep you waiting, but we had to learn how to keep our brains healthy.
Speaker 3: I will always wait for you, amy Ah.
Speaker 1: You're so sweet.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 1: The cost of a college degree. We were going to talk about this last week ran out of time. So the big question is is it worth it? And does everybody need one? So I also money.
Speaker 3: Guy, I'll answer the second question first, No, everybody does not need one. And is it worth it actually depends on a whole bunch of different factors. Right, So what are you getting your degree in and how much did you pay to get that degree? And how long did it take you to get that degree. So let's say we're getting an arts and humanities degree. On average, it's important to look at the numbers. The unemployment rate is much higher for people who have an arts and humanities degree versus someone who has, let's say an engineering degree, and you talk about the median salary for a person with an arts and humanities degree. Bank Rate just ran these numbers and they said that the average salary is like forty thousand dollars, whereas the average starting salary for an electrical engineer is like one hundred and fifteen thousand dollars. So when we're talking and granted, like could I be a great engineer?
Speaker 1: No way, that's what it's going to ask. Because I was like, I don't have a brain that would have let me get an engineering degree. Even if I thought, wow, that's a good idea.
Speaker 3: Same same, And so I don't think you can just say you can't bend your personality to the numbers here and say I guess I'm going to get an engineering degree, even though I have no capacity to do this thing right, But it is worth at least looking and seeing, well, what is this degree. I'm actively considering how much is it worth in the market and how much debt am I taking on to get this degree. So let's say you do get one of those arts and humanities degree because that's the way your brain is wired, and you spend You can take on one hundred and twenty thousand dollars in student loan debt in order to get that degree, and then your average starting salary is let's say forty thousand dollars. Well, that's a really bad move. It's really tough to overcome all the debt you had to take on to get that degree when the job prospects are slim. I mean, when you step back and you look at the overall gap between people with a high school degree and a college degree, the lifetime earnings are still somewhere close to a million dollars different so I do think there is value to a college degree. Still, I think you just have to be even more ready to parse the numbers and really consider what degree you're getting, what the likelihood is of getting a job in the field, how much that's going to pay, and how much debt you're taking on. If you can keep debt to a minimum, you can go for that Arts and Humanity degree. If it costs you twenty thousand instead of one hundred and twenty thousand, that's a big difference.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're more like more than likely Jill talking to the parents of those kids who are going to go to college right now. So for the parents you got a kid and they're like, oh, yeah, I want to go to college. I mean, like, what are some of the things that you need to impart on your kids as you guys make that decision.
Speaker 3: I think the biggest thing is to talk about the downsides of extreme debtloads, right, and it's easier now to do than ever before, just with the headline student loan debt overall all this talk about student loan forgiveness, and look, it hasn't come to pass, and so it's really incumbent upon you as a parent to talk to your kid about the trade offs of going to college. And there are some positive benefits. There's a lot of positive networking benefits. Right, some of your best friends are typically made in college, and some of your best networking abilities come from people you went to college with too. So I think that is an intangible that a lot of people don't factor in. But you've got to talk about how much debt we're taking on. And I think the biggest way this comes up is talking about going to a dream school. And the dream school might be the cheapest one, but it might not, And so talking about the trade off of value for getting the degree, and hey, actually, is there a way that we can go about getting this degree for less money. Let's apply to more schools. Let's look into financial aid. That's actually something that doesn't get talked about enough.
Speaker 7: Is that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as the price of college has risen, more generous financial aid packages have been coming out of some of these schools. So apply to more schools, figure out how much a school is going to give you, and be a little more discerning instead of just saying I think I look good in orange, so I'm going to go to this or that school or man, I think I look good in powder blue. Let me get you know, like, don't nobody think about powder blue? Of course they do, come on, that's a great color. So you just need to kind of think through all those things before you just decide on a college because it's that debt. The four years is great, but then the debt load can hang around with you for forty Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you just got to be smart like everything else. For a lot more great advice on your money, what to do with it, how to spend it, how not to spend it. You can listen to how to Money with Joel lars Guard Sundays noon to two right here on KFI. You can also follow him at how to Money. Joel. Thank you, Joel.
Speaker 3: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 1: I'll try to be on time next week. This sounds good, okay. And speaking of time, we're out of it. We're done, just like that. Thanks so much for making this the start of your day. Appreciate it. Got handle on the news coming up next, going to have some fun with that, I'm sure. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app