Speaker 1: All right, so you sent over a ton of info on fishing. Yeah, even excerpts from a book on the topic. Looks like we're taking a deep dive into the world of online stams today.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We'll uncover how fishing works, where it lurks, and most importantly, how you can protect yourself from falling victim.
Speaker 2: What's fascinating about fishing is how much it relies on human psychology. Yeah, rather than just technical tricks. It's like a digital con game, preying on our trust, right, and our tendency to overlook details.
Speaker 1: That's what's so unsettling about it. It feels like anyone could fall for it, even if you think you're tech savvy.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Think back to the example in the book about that fake PayPal login page. Okay, it highlights just how easily we can be fooled. If you're not paying close attention, you might not even notice that the web address is slightly off. Oh wow, and that's all it takes for them to snag your login info.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's already making me want to double check all my online accounts. Yeah, but before we get to ahead of ourselves, let's rewind a bit. The book mentioned the history of phishing, It's actually been around longer than I realized.
Speaker 2: You're right, it might seem like a modern problem. Yeah, but its roots actually go back to phone scams, even before the Internet was widespread. Wow, it's amazing how it's managed to adapt and thrive in the digital age.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We've gone from simple email scams to elaborate schemes using websites as ams, social media, even video conferencing software.
Speaker 1: It's kind of terrifying how adaptable it is. Yeah, and speaking of adapting, didn't the COVID nineteen pandemic really give fishers a boost? Oh? Everyone was suddenly online, shopping and working remotely. It seems like a scammer's dream.
Speaker 2: It was a perfect storm for them.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Remember Google reported as staggering eighteen million COVID related phishing emails daily on Gmail alone back in twenty twenty. Seriously, but it wasn't just a sheer volume of targets. The pandemic created a climate of fear and uncertainty, which Fisher's expertly exploited. They preyed on people's anxiety about health, finances and even getting essential supplies.
Speaker 1: So they were tapping into those raw emotions to trick people exactly. That's just devious. That makes you realize how important it is to be aware of these tactics.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The book breaks down all the different types of phishing out there, which seems like a good place to start understanding the complexity of this threat.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it could be helpful to categorize them, okay. Broadly speaking, we have social engineering fishing okay, which uses psychological manipulation, and tech driven fishing, which relies more on exploiting technical loopholes.
Speaker 1: Let's start with social engineering, sure, can you give me some examples of how that works in practice?
Speaker 2: Imagine you get an email that looks exactly like it's from your bank, urging you to update your account info due to some security breach. It might even have the bank's logo and branding.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It creates a sense of urgency, making you act quickly without thinking too hard.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: That's deceptive fishing using fear and a ready to manipulate you.
Speaker 1: That's pretty scary. I can see how easy it would be to fall for that, especially if you're already stressed about online security exactly.
Speaker 2: And then there's spearfishing, which is even more targeted okay. Instead of a mass email. It's a message crafted specifically for you, maybe referencing your job, your recent purchases, or even using information pulled from your social media.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: It's all designed to make you believe the message is legitimate and gain your trust.
Speaker 1: Wow. So it's like they're doing their homework on you before they strike exactly. And what about whaling? I remember that term from the book. It sounds pretty intense.
Speaker 2: Whaling is all about going after the big fish CEOs, politicians, celebrities, anyone with high level access or influence. These attacks are even more sophisticated, often involving a combination of social engineering, technical tricks, yeah, and meticulous research to make this gam scene completely believable.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The potential payoff for the attacker is much higher, so they're willing to put in the extra effort.
Speaker 1: So it's like a high stakes game of cat and mouse with fishers constantly upping their game. This is all starting to feel a bit overwhelming.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is it even possible to stay ahead of these guys?
Speaker 2: It definitely feels that way sometimes, right. Yeah, But don't worry. We'll get to the ways you can protect yourself. Okay, before we do that, let's take a look at tech driven fishing. Okay, it's just as important to understand.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if social engineering is about tricking the user, what does tech driven fishing focus on.
Speaker 2: It's all about using technical tricks to bypass security measures and gain access to your information. Okay. One example is DNS based fishing, which essentially hijacks the Internet's address book the DNS to redirect you to a fake website even if you type the correct URL.
Speaker 1: So even if I'm being careful about checking web addresses, i could still end up on a fishing site.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's unnerving.
Speaker 2: And then there's proxy based fishing, which messes with your browser settings to send you to those fake sites without your knowledge. It's like someone secretly changing the directions in your GPS leading you to the wrong destination.
Speaker 1: Sneaky. So it's not enough to just be vigilant. You need to have some technical know how to really protect yourself. Is that what content injection phishing is about.
Speaker 2: That's a different beast. It's like a digital trojan horse. Okay. Instead of creating an entirely fake website, attackers sneak malicious code into legitimate websites. You might visit regularly. Oh wow, this code can then steal your data or redirect you to a phishing site without you even realizing it.
Speaker 1: So it's like a wolf in sheep's clothing. A trusted website suddenly becomes a trap. It seems like phishing is everywhere online.
Speaker 2: You're not wrong. The book actually talks about how phishing has expanded beyond email to exploit a wide range of channels. It's something to be aware of, for sure.
Speaker 1: So where else should we be on the lookout for these scams? I mean besides email, which already makes me nervous enough.
Speaker 2: Well, think about how much you use your phone these days. Yeah, SMS phishing or smishing uses text mess to try and trick you. They might send a link that looks like it's from your bank or a delivery service, trying to get you to click and give away your info.
Speaker 1: Oh I've seen those before. Yeah, the ones that say your package is delayed and you need to click a link to reschedule delivery. I always thought those seemed fishy.
Speaker 2: You're right to be suspicious. And then their's social media. Oh yeah, it's a breeding ground for fishing, right with fake quizzes, contests or too good to be true offers all designed to lure you into clicking a malicious link or giving away personal info. Wow, and even those comments sections can be dangerous. Sometimes they'll contain links to phishing sites disguised as helpful resources or related articles.
Speaker 1: It's scary how they managed to blend in with legitimate content. Yeah, and what about public Wi Fi? I use it all the time at coffee shops and airports. It's never occurred to me that it could be a fishing risk.
Speaker 2: That's a common misconception. Really, public Wi Fi networks can be a gold mine for fishers. Wow, you probably heard it evil twin Wi Fi networks? I think so those fake hotspots set up to mimic legitimate ones. Right. If you connect to one of these thinking it's the coffee shop's Wi Fi, the attacker can potentially intercept all your Internet traffic, including your usernames, passwords, and even financial.
Speaker 1: Info, so that free internet might come at a hidden cost. Yanks. Yeah, I'm definitely going to be more careful about connecting to public Wi Fi from now on. The book also mentioned something about Bluetooth fishing, which sounds wild to me. Bluetooth is for headphones and speakers right, right, How could that be used for fishing?
Speaker 2: Sounds strange, but fishers are always looking for creative ways to exploit technology. Yeah, bluetooth fishing takes advantage of how pairing works.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Imagine you're in a public place and your phone's Bluetooth is on searching for devices, right. An attacker can send a pairing request that looks like it's from a harmless device like headphones or a fitness tracker. Oh gosh, but if you accept that request, they could potentially gain access to your phone and steal data, install malware, or even take control of certain functions.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's officially terrifying. It's making me rethink my whole approach to bluetooth.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I usually just leave it on all the time for convenience, right, But now I'm thinking that might not be the smartest move.
Speaker 2: It's always better to be safe than sorry. Yeah, disable bluetooth when you're not using it, and only pair with devices you trust. Okay, it's a simple step that can make a big difference in protecting yourself.
Speaker 1: You've given me a lot to think about already. It seems like phishing is lurking around every corner. Of the Internet. But the book did have a section on how to protect ourselves?
Speaker 2: Right absolutely?
Speaker 1: What are some of the key takeaways?
Speaker 2: Awareness is the first step, and you're already doing that by diving into this topic. But when it comes to practical steps, learning to scrutinize URLs is crucial.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Attackers use all sorts of clever tricks to make fake URLs look real, So it's all about knowing the red flags.
Speaker 1: What should we be looking for. I have to admit I don't always pay close attention to URLs, especially when I'm browsing on my phone.
Speaker 2: That's understandable. One common tactic is domain spoofing, where they create domain names that are very similar to legitimate ones. Yeah, I think misspellings, similar sounding words, adding extra words, or even hijacking personal names.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: They might use bit squatting bit squatting, which exploits those tiny typos we all make sometimes. For example, imagine you're trying to visit example dot com, but you accidentally type exmable dot com. Oh right, A bit squatter might have registered that misspell domain and boom, You're redirected to a phishing site without even realizing it.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's sneaky. It's like they're setting traps for our typos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what about.
Speaker 1: Those shortened links, like the ones you often see on social media?
Speaker 2: Those tiny URLs can be tricky. They're often used legitimately to save space or make links easier to share, but they can also be used to mask the true destination of a link. Oh wow, So before you click on a tiny url, always hover over it to see the full web address. If it looks suspicious or you don't recognize the domain, don't click it.
Speaker 1: Okay. So let's say I've clicked on a link and I'm on a website. Are there any telltale signs that I might be on a phishing site?
Speaker 2: There are, put on your detective hat and start scrutinizing the website's design, all right, look for inconsistencies, anything that seems off.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It could be low quality images, broken links, grammatical errors, even just a strange layout. These can all be signs that the website was hastily put together or that it's not the real deal. If you're comfortable with it, you could even examine the HTML code for suspicious elements like hidden eye frames or redirecting links.
Speaker 1: I'm not that tech savvy, but I can definitely look out for those visual cues. It's amazing how much we can learn just by paying attention to the details. But even with all this vigilance, is there anything else we can do to proactively protect ourselves? The book mentioned some technical tool Yes there are.
Speaker 2: One of the most basic yet effective things you can do is use strong, unique passwords for all your online accounts. Okay, and I can't stress this enough. Enable two factor authentication whenever possible. It adds an extra layer of security by requiring you to enter a code from your phone or email in addition to your password. It might seem like a hassle, but it makes it much harder for attackers to gain access to your accounts, even if they have your password.
Speaker 1: That's a good reminder. I know I've been putting off enabling two factor authentication on some of my accounts. Oh yeah, but you've convinced me it's worth the effort.
Speaker 2: It really is. And keep your software and anti virus programs up to date. Those updates often include security patches that can help protect you from known vulnerabilities. And if you want an extra layer of defense, consider using anti phishing browser extensions and toolbars. They can help identify and block suspicious websites even if you accidentally click on a malicious.
Speaker 1: Link, So it's like having a bodyguard for your browser. Like, it seems like there's a lot we can do to protect ourselves, but it's also important to know that phishing is a crime, right absolutely. What are the legal repercussions for these attackers?
Speaker 2: Phishing is illegal and there are laws in place to punish those who engage in it. For example, in the US, that can Spam Act helps regulate commercial emails and combat spam, which is often used as a vehicle for phishing attacks, and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act or DMCA protects logos and intellectual property from being misused, which is relevant because fishers often try to mimic legitimate brands, so.
Speaker 1: They can't just hide behind anonymity and get away with it.
Speaker 2: Not always, it can be difficult to track down these criminals. Yeah, but it does happen. The book mentioned some high profile cases where companies like Microsoft and AOL filed lawsuits worth millions against fishers. Wow. It's also important to remember that every time you report a phishing attempt, you're contributing to the fight against these scams.
Speaker 1: So reporting these scams isn't just about protecting myself, it's about helping to take on these criminals and protect others exactly.
Speaker 2: Every report provides valuable data. They could be used to identify fishing patterns, track down attackers, and even prevent future attacks. Wow, you're essentially helping to build a stronger defense for everyone.
Speaker 1: This deep dive has really been eye opening. It's amazing how much I didn't know about fishing, and I'm feeling a lot more empowered to protect myself. But I'm also realizing that it's not just about individual action. It sounds like there's a whole technological arms race going on behind the scenes to try and stay ahead of these attackers.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right alongside individual vigilance. Yeah, there's a constant effort to develop and deploy anti phishing technologies.
Speaker 1: What are some of the more cutting edge approaches being used to combat fishing on a larger scale.
Speaker 2: Well, you have your classic approaches like blacklists and whitelists. Blacklists are like a digital most wanted list. They keep track of known fishing sites so they could be blocked. Okay, and whitelists are the opposite, right, They only allow access to websites that have been deemed trustworthy.
Speaker 1: So a guilty until proven innocent approach with the blacklist and an innocent until proven guilty approach with the white list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly makes sense.
Speaker 1: But also the tech wizard's cooking up to fight these scammers.
Speaker 2: Things are getting really interesting with visual similarity detection. Okay, it uses algorithms to compare websites and spot fakes based on their design and layout.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Think of it like a facial recognition system, but for websites. It can pick up on subtle differences that a human eye might miss, flagging potential fishing sites even if they've been cleverly disguised.
Speaker 1: That's pretty impressive. It seems like we're bringing in the big guns with these technological solutions. But the book also talked about machine learning, right, how is that being used to fight phishing?
Speaker 2: Machine learning is playing a huge role. It's all about training computers to identify phishing patterns and flag suspicious activity. Okay, imagine you're teaching a computer to spot a fake painting. You show it thousands of real and fake paintings, pointing out the subtle differences in breaststrokes, colors, and composition. Okay, over time, the computer learns to recognize those telltale signs of a forgery. That's essentially what we're doing with machine learning and fishing. We're feeding these algorithms massive amounts of data about phishing websites and emails, teaching them to recognize the patterns in red flags that humans might miss.
Speaker 1: So it's like giving the computer a crash course in phishing detection, turning it into a digital detective. What about deep learning? Is that just a fancier term for machine learning.
Speaker 2: It's related, but takes it a step further.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Deep learning is inspired by the human brain and its neural networks.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It allows computers to analyze data on a much deeper level, uncovering even more subtle and complex patterns.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about recognizing superficial similarities, it's about understanding the underlying intent in behavior.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Deep learning is allowing us to create dudibly sophisticated fishing detection systems that can adapt and learn as new threats emerge.
Speaker 1: So it's always evolving getting smarter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, like having a security guard that's constantly learning new self defense techniques to stay ahead of the criminals.
Speaker 1: This all sounds very promising, but let's be realistic. Can technology really solve the fishing problem entirely?
Speaker 2: That's the million dollar question. Technology is an incredibly powerful tool in this fight, but it's not a silver bullet. Remember, phishing is ultimately about exploiting human psychology. Yeah, as long as there are people who fall prey to these scams, there will be fishers trying to exploit them.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: That's why education and awareness are so important. Even with the most advanced technology in place, human vigilance is still our first line of defense.
Speaker 1: So it's a two pronged approach. Technology to bolster our defenses and education to empower individuals. What can we do as everyday users to contribute to this collective effort.
Speaker 2: One of the most important things you can do is report phishing attempts. It might seem like a small act, but it has a ripple effect. If you receive a suspicious email or come across a website that you think might be a phishing scam, don't just delete it or ignore it, report it to the appropriate authorities.
Speaker 1: So who should we be reporting these scams to.
Speaker 2: There are several organizations dedicated to fighting phishing, like the Anti Phishing Working Group APWG and the US Computer Emergency Readiness Team us SERT. Okay, you can also report it to the company or organization being impersonated. For example, if you get a phishing email pretending to be from Amazon, forward it to Amazon's Fishing Report address. Every report helps build a better understanding of phishing tactics, track down these criminals, and ultimately prevent future attacks.
Speaker 1: It's like we're all deputized cyber detectives working together to take down these scammers exactly.
Speaker 2: It's about empowering individuals to be part of the solution. Remember, knowledge is power. The more you understand about phishing, the better equip you'll be to avoid becoming a victim, and by sharing that knowledge with others, you're helping create a safer online environment for everyone.
Speaker 1: This deep dive has been a real wake up call, but also incredibly empowering. I feel like I've learned so much about the hidden world of phishing and the many ways we can protect ourselves.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to hear that it's all about staying vigilant, being curious, and never taking your online security for granted. Yeah, the Internet can be a wonderful place, but it's important to navigate it with awareness and caution.
Speaker 1: Well said, and on that note, I think we've reached the end of our deep dive to our listeners, thank you for joining us on this journey. We hope you've learned something new and feel more confident in your ability to spot and avoid phishing scams. Remember, stay informed, stay vigilant, and stay safe online