Speaker 1: You are listening to Video Games to the Max. Hello, and welcome to another edition of Video Games to the Max. I'm your host Seun Gomery with me as usual mister Mark Morrison at it and this is episode four hundred and fifty six of the show. And well, it was a kind of a weird week in games. We had the Nintendo Indie World. I will go through that. I got to play the Men of the Hollower demo, so I will discuss that as well. We got some fun things with Embracer bringing back red octane. I mean, Guitar Rhythm Games are making a comeback, sold those rumors about if you know, activations and back Guitar Hero or not, but we'll see. And then you got a far Cry TV show to go along with that Assassin's Creed TV show. So I guess you yourself is ramping it up on games and TV shows. Why not. Sony's PlayStation five keep selling well. But you got some interesting comments from their CFO this week about live service and one that made everybody go nuts on the whole internet as far as those you know, console warriors go. And there's a few other things as well, so we'll get into all that and more a right, so really quickly here, let's get into the housekeeping. We do appreciate anybody that watches live, watches later listens on podcasts. You can go find us on video against to the max there if you subscribe to the YouTube channel. Not only you get to know when we go live, which we did a little bit late today technical issues and also work was in kind so we didn't get to start out at nine o'clock Eastern normal time. Started a little bit later, but we're here doing this thing. Also, just go out of the channel, you get our other shows that are on the network as well. Rales are broadcasting handle all the entertainment TV show stuff and they are reviewing the not so great ice Cube World of the World movie, so that's let's you know, they don't just go after the big ticket items. They would definitely going to the even the ones that you don't expect to probably be reviewed or not. Although you know, you got the anime side of things, which the Otago Cafe folks are doing a great job covering the summer season, so if you like to keep up with that weekly or just you know, seasonal type of anime, they do a great job of like reviewing kind of what they think is the cream of the crop on their end, and they have a different cast each week, so it's interesting on that front too, And you of course cannot listen to those shows on podcasts as well. Prout to broadcast Single tal Cafe or just us video games to the max. We want to stick with that. So yeah, that's about it here for the housekeeping. Let's do something a little bit differently because Mean of the Hollower has to do. I wouldn't be able to play this demo if it wasn't for the Nintendo Indie World Showcase that happened on Thursday. This was not anything, you know, big deal to ride home. Did you end up watching this or no?
Speaker 2: I wat took a part of it, but a lot of stuff seemed not great.
Speaker 1: I'll say, yeah, it's fifteen minutes, not gonna you know, take a up a lot of your time. But you also really don't need to go in and go nuts from watch it. Honestly, we can give you the highlights right here. Mean to the Hollower is the gem of the whole thing. I'll talk about the demo in a second. Never way has a twenty twenty sixth release date. That's a I was shown at the Latin Game Showcase. I think I talked about it during the Summer game Fest week. It's like a horror like farming sim kind of thing, which is kind of cool because you don't see that genre mixed hardly.
Speaker 2: It looks like Craft made Stardi Valley.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it looks cool, has that sort of you know, the pixel arse and all that stuff. Is This seat taken is an interesting take on the whole simulation thing, except for now you're doing the seating arrangements instead of the things you normally do in a restaurant or why not. So that's an interesting take there too. Ball Pit, which continues to be a surprising hit every time I see it, and also exciting news that it's going to be day one game Pass, so I was already excited to play it without game Pass being there. Definitely going to be checking that out now that it is on game Pass as well. Hurdling also kind of neat, interesting look on a different kind of simulation type game is going to probably be one of those like have those touching narratives kind of thing, I'm sure. And UFO fifty is on Switch now. That game was a hit last year on PC. Great to see it on his Man. It feels like I should have been on Switch a while ago, but glad to see it finally is going to be on there and you can go, you know, play that now if you want, which I definitely recommend. It's literally like fifty different games that feel like they're in the nes era and then they they get better as they go along. It's kind of like almost like a history thing as well, which is neat. So yeah, I'm looking into whether I want to get it or not, since I don't know if I have anything until the end of the month, and even then Lost Suicide. It's such like a every time it feels like it's a mixed bag. Every time somebody talks about it, it's like it just went gold, so we know it is not going to get delayed again. But then also people keep like saying, maybe you need to wait for reviews. Don't go out and just buy it immediately. I don't know. It doesn't give me good good vibes. Usually you want people being like, yeah, just go buy the same day one. Speaking of that, a game you might want to go by day one when it comes out. Theist Ah I think from Yacht Club games, and it does not involved shovel minas the Hollower, which if you've probably seen this game in some form, it's uh. You play as a mouse named Mina. She is a hollower and she literally you burrow underground with her, and then you can also have different weapons. I love Zelda, and very much plays like a mixture between, like a Zelda game with a bit more action to it obviously, and then it has some kind of solsy type elements like when you die, you lose some gold or they call it bones here the currency, and you know, I had a lot that I don't know exactly how long the demo is. I played quite a bit of it. Also died quite a few times too.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Thankfully, it's not like, oh, you have to repeat the whole beginning of the level or whatever. At least maybe I don't know if the actual game is gonna be a bit more harsh as far as that goes, but they do have like a easy mode for the people that you know, I just kind of want to play through the game and not be bothered too much with having to repeat sections because some of the enemies are rather tough, you know, or at least they're kind of they definitely get in the way and make it difficult for you, So I would say that, you know, I don't think you're just gonna walk in and cake walk this thing. It's it's definitely one to make sure you got the guard up and ready to take out. I like the they way, the different d the the puzzles and the different they have little secret areas things like that too, So it is I think it's definitely gonna be one of those indie darlings or whatnot when it finally comes right. Hopefully it does not. Hopefully it hits on time and everything that's what you want. Yaka Glames has done such a great job with Double nine as far as like it's probably one of the first like indies that they kind of made it its own thing, like, oh it's shovel Knight was in this, Shovel Knight was in.
Speaker 2: That, and yeah, they hold the character at pretty well.
Speaker 1: So I think Mina has the potential to kind of similarly do the same thing. Gonna be interesting that they have other characters that maybe they can adapt into being other characters play as if they add DLC or whatnot. But you know, having the three different weapons and all that does add like variety of the play style too, so it's cool. And also love the music in this thing, so that's always been a positive with the Yacht Club as well. So yeah, definitely go check out the demo. Apparently it's also like limited time as well, so you know, am I going to go download it even if you're not going to play it immediately and then just kind of give it a whirl whenever you feel like it.
Speaker 2: But unless you know after a certain day, the demo just won't work anymore.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's I think it's more of a limited like eventually it just won't be available unless it's supposed to be like a Steam next Best thing, But that's not the indication that I kind of get from it. But who knows. Yeah, I hope not hope it's not the Ladder because you still got almost what three months before that thing comes out. So yeah, that's pretty much like the only game I've been playing this week? H what uh have you been checking out here?
Speaker 2: I finished Party and I went I mean finished, I mean and got the Platinum trophy in nice. Yeah I didn't you, I did not whatever Xbox I.
Speaker 1: Got a lot of trophy. No, uh no, I got it on PSI.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know. It ain't hard, you know, some of them are kind of busy work, I guess, but it was you know, I don't have to learn to play Majong or whatever. The other one, uh the chess game, you know, the Chess Japanese game, So that was a lot easier. What else? So yeah, I went back to dust rain in two. I did the hard There was one very hard delivery, so I haven't managed to do that finally, where it is a you have to visit seven enemy bases and pick stuff up at them and then deliver it to like this guy or these two guys, and you have a time limit of fifty minutes and you can't save Uh that's annoying too. Yeah, I'm actually do that, Like there's a kind of a way and just kind of cheat it with like the you know, the teleporting ship we have what else? Picked up a cheap Captain Marvelars Capcom two for the Dreamcast. That's fun, and I bought a I bought two uh old game boys recently, well like I got one of them like last week, I think Monday, And then I got another one, Like Wednesday picked up a game Boy Micro Wow, and like it's a it's not great, like yeah, the screens, like the size is kind of cool, but the screens is too small.
Speaker 1: But my mad is not great for you.
Speaker 2: All right, you know battery works. I had to buy a charger, but it you know, it actually seems to work fine. And the know one I bought is a game Boy Light. Do you know?
Speaker 1: No, I don't know what the game Boy light is.
Speaker 2: So the game Boy Light was a Japanese only game Boy Ah. It kind of looks like a game Boy pocket except the bigger. Ah. And it has remember like in like the mid to early nineties, they had like watches with like a black or I watched it like a blue indigo back light. Yes, that is this, Like it has a blue indigo back light. Like oh, like it has a it has a go on off switch with it, like it can go further right to like the light switch and yeah, like lights to screen up. It's still a bad light, but you can technically use it. I always kind of wanted one, like I I'm aware that like you don't need a game Boy anymore. Or I have three other things that could do this better than what you know, but it's still cool and I like collecting this weird crap.
Speaker 1: So did you ever get the uh the analog thing?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the analog pocket? Oh yeah, I got that. Like Launch okay, yeah, that exit she has like a good screen. This is still like the game Boy screen. It just has a blue back light that's like not that bright. I mean, if you're in like a total pitch black, it's fine. But other than that, like it's not like, oh, this is a big improvement. It's like no, just it's okay, but not really you know, but you know, it's a kind of an obscure console, so I like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking at its basically like a light coming through on a Yeah, looks like a game Boy color but they made a light.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's kind of it almost is kind of like the shape of a game Boy color like that, you know. Yes, except this only takes two batteries, like two double a's and like the back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can see that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's cool. Uh. I guess it's about.
Speaker 1: It all right. Uh yeah, shorter section on the this here, but hey, at least we'll get into the news faster here. Might as well start with Sony, and they had some good financial results, including eighty million PS fives have been shipped to sold in all this time, so they are right there with the PS four, so that's that's good. They're at least keeping up with the former and also like a right around with the PS three as well, So again that whole idea of you're still selling, you're selling to the same people, but those same people are still buying the consoles, so that's that's good. That's positive. At least you're not seeing a drop, so right, it helps a lot that you as far as the space that the PS five occupies, you don't have competition really anymore. There's rumors going around that a combination of Xbox Series X and S has only led to thirty million sales. Now that's not official Xbox number or Microsoft numbers, and we probably won't ever get that until maybe the end of the generation, perhaps when they don't care anymore what the Series XS sales at all, not that they really care that much now, but you know, comparatively, Sony is doing wonderfully in that category. The PlayStation Nework currently has one hundred and twenty three million active views which is seven million more since the same time last year. Sixty six million PS four and PS five games were sold between April and June, which is up twelve million on last year as well. Only six point nine million of those were first party titles though, but I mean they bealely didn't have any first party Yeah, titles will be the show.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of a week year for first party stuff.
Speaker 1: That's when you attach all your your eggs in one basket essentially, and most of them don't hit.
Speaker 2: You the day is gone, remastered it and blow the doors off the sales charts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that that was the one everybody was waiting on for sure. You know, of course they the thing that that helps Sony obviously is that they aren't just like Microsoft. They aren't all about PlayStation. But the difference between Xbox and PlayStation is that PlayStation makes up like sixty percent of Sony's revenue compared to you know, I think it's like twenty or like they're in the same line as was it Office or something or not, like a smaller much smaller portion of whatever Microsoft's. Right thing is, I don't want member offhand the chart that I saw that was like they're in the same realm with some other Microsoft software thing. But still the fact that you are the big leader when you you know, Sony has their own movie studio, Sony has their own music group, all of that stuff. Hey, it says a lot about this company and what they've relied on all these years. You know, being number one has definitely helped.
Speaker 2: I mean it also helps that, I mean Microsoft is much bigger company still, but it helps that, like Sony diversifies its holdings like you just said, and then it's focusing all on AI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. So, and that being said, they Sony's CFO had some interesting comments to make. We'll get into the ones that got people in a tizzy and a little bit here. But Sony's CFO Lin Tao replied when asked about you know why Sony's live service has been you know, negative and what they're looking at when it comes to their live service plan going forward. Yeah, and he says that despite that negativity, he still thinks that, you know, they're not going to have another concord again. They have Marathon. They have added a revenue stream that didn't exist for the company five years ago. So you know, if we look in the past five years. Five years ago, live service games were almost on existible questions in studios. We now have hell Divers too and will be at the show, and grants as WIST seven and Budget's Destiny too, So we have all these four live service contributing to sales and profits in a stable manner. In fact, he noted that Sony's the live service games are kind of for forty percent of first party software revenue for the past quarter.
Speaker 2: So you know, wait, he calls MLB the show a life service game, So it is.
Speaker 1: Games are live service games. We know that.
Speaker 2: Come on, then I can make new versions of it then for next year.
Speaker 1: No, I mean it is like lives those things continue on people. You know, those servers are still up playing those games that they just count them all as one. They don't. They they're kind of as different skews for the you know, yearly sales data, but they counted all as one.
Speaker 2: Also, I wouldn't. I wouldn't count Grand Troops for seven of the Licerice game either.
Speaker 1: I guess they do because it's a continual thing and that's actually been positive right for them, So of course, uh, why not when you can interesting that two of those, you know, are on Xbox or three of them are on Xbox. Destiny to held ivers too as soon to be and you got to be the show even though I will be the show is not there doing that was that will be that made that coright. But still, I mean he is right in that that is a revenue source that they didn't have, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like the problem is like the direction the company went into. They went all in the life service games. Yeah, or you know they had the twelve game. You know, you want twelve live service games. It's like, okay, but now you don't have any money to really invest in single player stuff, which I think people like more or you know, I think some people like more or it's not it's not a small factor. And that's that's what's kind of like not doing great at the moment. Yeah, like Astrobot was good, don't get me wrong, but you know that came out. They're not making a new after about every year. They're not going to make you know, a new got a War every year or you know whatever.
Speaker 1: So yeah, then I'm making a new Horizon every year. And know that they have the multiplayer projects right right, so you know they're they're I'm.
Speaker 2: Not like opposed to a live service game necessarily, like, but I think the problem is just Sonny got a little little too I wouldn't say ahead of the game, but a little too. It's overly excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit too excited, you know.
Speaker 2: So that's what led to Concord and you know Marathon. And also I think a lot of live service games, like the traditional ones or like the ones that people would consider like more life service games, that's more of a natural process to get into or like, you know, a natural ground swell of interest or support, like when Fortnite came out initially, like it wasn't like the biggest thing ever or but it grew that audience and not kind of is or even you know, I guess itex did okay, but I mean it grew its audience. And but I think like when they're when they try to pump it up too fast or too much, then that's what you know, players just get like this is a fake thing, and then they stop playing it or they like look at like confinnity Nikki.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you mess up your game, it doesn't at all. Uh, it sucks. I mean that sucks that you know, you really liked that game, and then they they found a way to mess it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't actually boot it up a few days ago. First of all, the patching for that game takes forever. Ah, it took me like a half hour, and I see, this is only a twelve gigabyte pat and I got good internet, like, so, what's the most problem here? And then I just like loaded up like the quest screen and just shut the game off because I don't I don't even understand this anymore, you know.
Speaker 1: So what what have they changed? Oh?
Speaker 2: They had like not they had like at least three or four different time events going off at once, like so there were like multiple quests, like multiple quests you can do to like unlock other ship, and you know it's like, oh, there's this sunrise or like this like weather quest, and you know, there was like this main quest and I'm like I I didn't even know where to what to do, Like, wow, yeah, I'll probably I'll probably be deleting that at some point. Even though. What's funny is like right before they ruined the game, you put money into it, like twenty bucks, so I have like paid currency in the game that all the never used.
Speaker 1: Uh, that sucks. Yeah, it's like, man, right when I'm I think it's good to invest and then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it kind of was like I wasn't expecting. I guess I didn't really know the patch like it was gonna come out. I mean, well I knew the patch was coming out, but like I didn't know like how it would like affect the game like that. So like a week before that the Ruinous patch came out, I put like twenty bucks in and then that patch came out and it destroyed, you know, all the good will that the game had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well ce LEVI there. Yeah, I'll see how long it is actually around. Must you know if they don't have some announcement that says, well, it's you know, it has now been taken down.
Speaker 2: And I don't mean it ever take I mean it would take a while for it to be taken down. But I think what they'll do eventually do is do like a return to basics or like return to form patch where they roll back out of the craft that people don't like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hopefully at least so that you know, you can maybe get back into it at some point, right, But I mean it kind of shows the folly of that sometimes of just you understand why you go after it, right, It's understandable why Sony wants to go after it, right, they just did too much at once, and you know, the ones that are still out there outside of the horizon don't look great. And I mean marathons still, we'll see what happens with that when it finally comes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: You know, for the most part, again, like that's that was the whole point of it is just at least Sony is making some kind of revenue, even though there's a lot more losses with the the bad stuff that has hit them obviously, right. So, but like you said, they do diversify their investments. And there was a quote that was kind of taken out of context by the Console Warrior crowd that took that was like greater part of a bigger statement on essentially they are Sony's continue with that diversification and that extends into gaming as well. The quote actually goes, so the investment in vanday and of course we have been shifting to creation. So for example, the entertainment three businesses basically account for sixty percent of consolidate revenue. So basically our business portfolio is shifting more to creation. And then as for the eletrona's busines and TV compared to output devices, we are now shifting to creation devices that include digital camera to As a result, we are seeing more stability and profitability and revenue and also the productivity of our performance is increasing. And also the music business music streaming and EMI music publishing has been acquired, and then we increase the music catalog as I mentioned in the speech and gaming business and moving away from a hardware centric business to more of the community based engagement business, and then that has been increasing. So now as we make more transition to entertainment creation, the stability of productivity, our performance is increasing. So this upward division might not have been a direct result of these however, the music publishing OUTSCOC, position of music catalog outside positionive crunchy role, these are the areas where we have seen growth and that's helped them improve profitability. So yeah, of course when you are the main anime streaming service, that's going to help you. Of Course net Netflix is also you know, taking a chunk out of them as well, because they're we've talked about I think that like last week, or we can go you know two weeks ago that more people are watching anime now because of Netflix having it on there. But you know, it doesn't mean that Sony is moving away from hardware at all. It just means that Sony is understanding that you also need to make sure you drive up content, drive up other things, right, have those magical. That's why they went to the m AU model now instead of talking about other things, because that's what people care about, right, They want to see how how engaged are you in our ecosystem? How engaged are you in the console or whatever thing you're using to play their games? All right, So, which is similar to the Microsoft approach, just a different approach in general. Sonny very much still obviously, Look, you don't get eighty million consoles out of nothing, right, it's because they value it. So that's not going away anytime soon. In fact, according to rumors from you know, the Moors, Law is dead guy, he's already out there talking about different specs for the PS six and the handheld PS six and even the Xbox whatever that's gonna be. So not talking about it on here, just because like literally we're in the infancy of next gen whatever that's gonna be although like you know him talking about, oh, the Xbox is really just going to be a PC and they like it really is going to be that. Okay, we already kind of knew that that's needs to be where they're going, and then PlayStation may have a lower spec console. Like, it's not going to be them trying to do the PS five, you know, PS six pro out of the bat, you know, off the bat, because they're going to try to keep the prices down. We'll see, we'll see. Look that it may not come out till twenty twenty eight, so we have no idea what we're talking about two and a half years from now. That's a long time when it comes to a lot of things still got to happen, right, We got to get to the end of this generation first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even you know, even when the PS six comes out, it's not going to be like a hard cut or a hard break from PS five.
Speaker 1: I mean like a no, definitely not. There's gonna be the He's right in that, there's gonna be back of for fedibility for the handheld, even for PS five and PS four. That was the whole reason why they went with AMD was they wanted to make sure that that was still there, right, They did not want to make the mistake of PS three again where it's like, oh, you can't do that, and then PS four comes and oh you can't play these games at all, you know, natively to put them on the digital store. So you know, they didn't want to deal with that again. It's just that's smart. Let's let's keep going having that go on through the generations or whatever. Whether we're playing on you know, in twenty years old, we're just exclusively playing that on the cloud or just on our TVs or whatever. However that's gonna work. But right, you know, for now, that's how this it is. Yeah, do you think it's I'm just thinking at this point, they're just it's gonna be twenty twenty eight, like midway through twenty twenty eight or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I yeah, I heard some speculation of twenty twenty seven, but it is I think that's just still too early. I think the way making them in twenty twenty seven though, or at least have oh yeah, we'll definitely have more info the console, like lockdown or you know, maybe even like what it looks like and stuff. But I mean, yeah, twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Can you please make it smaller? That's all I ask. I don't need this behemoth of console like where you literally can't.
Speaker 2: Like I mean, but making it smaller, like can't affect the power or it can affect you know they want to put into it.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not talking about making it tiny, even though I have seen some people saying they might have a PS five that's the size of a router or something, which should that be crazy small? Yeah, but I mean even the Series X is not that gigantic compared to that thing. It's like that that It's like I have behind my TV and I can't I can't put in thing near it.
Speaker 2: Because length wise, maybe about like the Xbox Series X is like this big monolith looking thing, like.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's just a block. It's a big black block. It has no if you take the standoff of it, it just looks like a like old lot of nothing with a little X button on that turns on me. It's like, yeah, so it's just interesting and design choices between two companies, right, they couldn't have made it more different, but yeah, I mean, look, uh, people are taking that stuff out of context to mean that, oh, Sony's going towards software. They're doing the Microsoft thing, and it's like, like we talked about last week, it's like, maybe there are going to be more games, but it's not. It's not the Microsoft strategy at all, because they want you to buy their PS fives and PS six and whatever else after that.
Speaker 2: This is as I get to that PlayStation nine commercial the aired a few years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, but we're going to leave Sony behind here to go into Xbox for a little bit. Because once again, even though this feels like they just kind of weren't sure and then kind of made the final decision afterwards, so it looks like it's just like they might as well just have announced this with the other ones. But Contraband is essentially been canceled. According to Avalanche and Steven Detillo, the game has ceased active development. Jason Schreier run out and just flat out said it's canceled. We only saw like a cinematic trailer, and it's not like we ever really saw a lot of what the game is. To me, this is kind of like ever Wild, where it's like I don't feel like there's a lot. The concept seemed cool, but we never really got to see it flushed out right, So I'm not heartbroken by it at all. I hope that it doesn't mean that this studio will now have layoffs at some point here. I definitely don't want people losing their jobs at all. But you know, I don't think this is like the huge thing that. No it's I mean, it sucks that people making the game, but as far as like for the consumer, for you, the gamer, I don't. I mean, I don't know if this is a big loss.
Speaker 2: I think everyone forgot about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean yeah, and it was just like one of those games would bring up and like, oh yeah, there's contraband, Okay.
Speaker 2: But like it's still like when they announced when they announced just a few days ago that what's that? Like, I didn't even know what it was. I'd like, look at the trailer again, I'm like I kind of remember this, I guess. But that's a problem as a problem of like no gameplay trailers that I think Microsoft does more than Tony or Nintendo. Like they show like a mood trailer and it's like that's okay, I guess, but you know, like it it's not like exciting about the game because not showing the game ah, but you know, I like the Avalanche. I didn't like just Cause for it all, but you know, just costs two and three were good. Get back to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of the just Cause stuff. Yeah, it's just uh, it's one of those where it's like, Okay, this was a cool concept. There's kind of a lot of what we Yeah.
Speaker 2: They didn't even know what it was because all they said was a co op open world game and that was it, and yeah, okay, that's just that's like just Cause too, you.
Speaker 1: Know, like kind of had a little bit of a maybe horrors.
Speaker 2: It sound like a smuggling game or.
Speaker 1: H exactly like a smug like a game game they wanted you to play with with other people like maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah setting off high or literally smuggling in goods like another country or you know whatever.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's like, oh, this is that game, okay, you know, and then that's it, and it's like okay, well, all right, I guess we'll see more of it later. And then they didn't have it at the development direct thing. They didn't show it at the showcase.
Speaker 2: So aside from the one trailer, it didn't show it anything at all.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's it's not the huge loss. It's just it is another game that has been canceled. Uh, you know, they'd still have over forty development whatever that is, right, We'll see if hopefully most of those come out, but uh, they did fine. We did finally hear from the Fords, the Motorsport team after they didn't say anything that they are still working on for As the Motorsport that the game is not like, you know, just not going anywhere or whatnot. So I guess for As the Motorsport fans can be okay for now that they are still that both Playground and them are still working on Forza and the franchise will be okay, even though they lost a lot of the team, which sucks.
Speaker 2: I don't think that. I think it's gonna make Horizon six and then I think Motorsport is done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, motors Flow will probably just be this kind of like Grand Seras most seven. You just kind of keep it going for the people that want it. Obviously not as big a scale as seven as growing Choose with seven, which you know did really well PlayStation.
Speaker 2: So right, that game is like still expensive too. It's still at least like forty or fifty bucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not going to lower it while that game is doing well, right, it makes sense. But speaking of people leaving studios, Rod ferguson this, I feel like this has been This was like rumored a while ago, and then now he's finally officially leaving after being with you know, he's formally with Coalition, previously with Right with Gears of War, you know, and then you know, he moved on to Rational Games, did stuff with Black Tuskin two K, and then then he's also you know, he went back and work with Bizard on Diablo and then full circle came back to Macrooft again and then now he's he's gone. You know, he feels like the game is in a strong place, and he's he's leaving after his third tour of duty with with Microsoft.
Speaker 2: But he was like, yeah, partially right, He's right about the second one. But I wouldn't. I don't think Diablo four is necessarily like a hugely strong position.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean, did the like that that expansion brought people back?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then you know they play through the content once and then let's say all right, I'm I'm done, or yeah, I don't want to create a seasonal character, or you know, you create like most people create, like the new character class and that's that's it. But and it's funny like they more monetized Diablo three, or they try to with the whole auction house and that fell apart. But you get the sense that they're trying to really do that with Diablo four with this with the store. But all the star stuff is just garbage, or most of it is.
Speaker 1: Do you think they could ever take out that part of.
Speaker 2: No, It's like I think people some people like it, but I'm talking I guess just for myself, like a lot of it's just like ugly as hell? Are it just like so like really generic and boring? Like I want it to be like actually cool looking, and most of it is just not. Yeah, I mean I guess that that might go further for me because I just don't like the look of Diablo four that much.
Speaker 1: But you know, yeah, I mean it's not like that that game is gonna keep going, right, We'll see what more updates they add to it and the few. Sure, yeah there is things go on with it, but yeah, the only other thing, I guess kind of adjacent because you know, EA has the Ya play with game pass. Also Mark Darra had a interview with mister Mighty Plays on his YouTube channel. Of course, he is a former Bioer executive producer. He revealed during this interview that they tried to pitch e A on doing a dragon Age one to three we master similar to the mass Effect one the three master, and they said no, yeah, obviously dragon Age is much harder to do the mass effect and there's a lot more unknowns, right because dragon Age Organs is not is essentially like isn't it like different.
Speaker 2: Than well dragon Age Georgians. Uh, dragon Age one and two are on like their proprietary engine from back in the day what it's called. Uh, so that would be like the real problem dragon Age the third one, I forget what it's called. Uh, that's not frostbite. So it'd probably be a lot easier to do, but they would literally have to like remake dragon Age one and two and that's an undertaking. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and they also he mentions that you have to like they have to get some kind of They almost had an idea of getting a like a bunch of people that know how to do mods to remake dragon Age Origans because it was, like you said, it's been a different.
Speaker 2: Yeah engine, the Eclipse engine, and it looked it up. So I can see why, I mean, I think work, Yeah, I can Like he said like Ohea doesn't like remasters. Uh, it's like just get like because they don't like free money. It's like this isn't free money. Like this would be a lot lot of work for at least two of those games. One of them isn't particularly well liked, and considering like that Dragon Age is kind of tarnished as a franchise, Like could this make it up? Probably not, like would it make the money back? Even that's probably pretty if he depending on how much makes you have to do with Dragon Age one and two. So I can see this not doing it or you know, going like no, we're good because lads with Masters Effect they're all like the Unreal Engine, so yeah, cares well.
Speaker 1: And then they also like poureded it over to like an external studio to do most of the work, whereas right there was some people at Bow were actually having to work on this, and then it wasn't that many, but it was some. And then it's like again the whole essentially having to remake origins. Yeah, and then you're putting it in with a remaster of one and two or even like essentially having any makes of those games.
Speaker 2: Origins there's one.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah.
Speaker 2: But but like even like dragon Age, like as a franchise, dragon Age never particularly sold that well. Maybe Inquisition did, but Origins itself only sold like four million copies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Inquisition sold really well, but that was also like a really bad year in games.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh so yeah, I can see them E eight has gone now we're good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I I do think it probably would have helped them with dragon Age Villguard, where you learn a lot more about what makes dragon Age dragon Age, and but.
Speaker 2: Like that's that's put in the card before the horse because it's like, yeah, I just had been made before vail Guard came out, or you know, it would have like between vail Guard and Inquisition, there's a ten year gap, not ten years, sorry, there's like a what eight or not like seven or eight year gap? A low people don't forget about dragon Age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean also I think it was more about like most of the people that are at by where at this point are not the folks that were there making those oh yeah, early dragon Age games, so they don't you know, the idea could be that, you know, they don't really know what makes a dragon Age game, so I kind of understand that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it was a tenure gap between Inquisition and Vail Guard. And yeah, judging, I don't think you played vail Guard much. But no, I did and YenS did, and we can both attest that it wasn't the same people who made the earlier dragon Age games.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, that doesn't sound great.
Speaker 2: Right, So I even even if e A somehow okayed this, I I don't think it would have panned out that well because I just don't think that BioWare is capable as a studio anymore, like do it correctly. They needed to form it out again, which would have cost them even more money.
Speaker 1: So I agree on that.
Speaker 2: But I liked I liked Inquisition quite a bit. I can don't like Dragon Age one or two that much, but the third one I like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of people like thing Position after that.
Speaker 2: Actually, most people like the first one, you know, that's what YenS is all like, Oh, the Heirs one's only the only true true game in the series.
Speaker 1: Gotta love that all right then, But hey, Embracer did a night a cool thing once. Actually, feels like they invested in something after they've had all these this tumultuous time of like layoffs and closing studios and spinning off studios and all this stuff. They brought back Red Octane even though now it's called Red Octane Games and part of you know, Embracer. I don't know which group it is that they're with, but they're a small studio that's looking at making a rhythm game, a new one at that. Of course, they were the ones that were instrumental in making Guitar Hero and DJ Hero. Obviously Harmonics also had a lot to do with that as well, and they're part of the Free Mode group. I'm sorry if people even know what any of these groups actually. Yeah, it's like whatever, But they're not trying to make Guitar Hero, it's the whole point. They're just trying to make their own like rhythm game. But it is going to have uh, they are going to try to go and get license music, supposedly, and they said that they still have contacts there. Obviously they don't have the.
Speaker 2: That would help, and they.
Speaker 1: Said they're still going to approach the music the same way like go and try to get you know, the parts and all that stuff that they normally do and the split parts and try to get that all of work. So now that you have those, you know guitar, the guitars that have come back right between.
Speaker 2: The I'm not sure if like those new guitars actually have shipped yet or not. I know YenS is waiting for his, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Well, the one that works at the fortnite festival, those work. Those are out there. I don't know about the the like Remade Less Falls or whatever that hero if those are out or not.
Speaker 2: But what doesn't one for rock band? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yes, those are for a fortnight festival and it does work a rock band for yeah, So we'll see. You know, now that those are available to people, it would be interesting to see if Red Octane can go out and make this. I think it'd be cool. The problem is that they're an audience for it outside of people like me that live in that nostalgia that as you can see if you watch the video version. In the background, I have my rock band guitars sitting there around my shelf, even though I can't use them because my converter bro right, but still they're there, right, you know. That's The thing is like generation the generations behind us have become even more anti social. So this is a very social game. So I don't know that it's gonna do the It's definitely not gonna do the bonkers numbers that you know it did back in the day. But can you sustain a niche audience like that? And how much is embracer? Were they gonna invest in all that because you know they're not epic.
Speaker 2: Well, they answered to your first question is no, right, because they tried already bring back Guitar Hero and rock Band and it didn't do go well.
Speaker 1: So to be fair, the Guitar Hero once sucked because like nobody wanted to have the songs tied to that streaming service. And then they made a big deal about that. I mean that you say it wasn't great.
Speaker 2: You say that, but you also have like eight hundred Rock Band songs, right, but I have. It's literally like think of it like as game pass for a Guitar Hero.
Speaker 1: I know, but that was one of the things against it. Side fi. I think also like you wouldn't like the controller and the guitar thing, and the story mode was like overblown. They tried to make a big deal about it, and it wasn't this the thing that they made it out to be as well, So there's a lot of things that weren't. And then also again, like you said, it just didn't catch on, right, They thought that it was gonna bring a comeback, and it didn't catch on. I think rock Band four just had rock Band four was a classic you you put it out missing stuff, and you didn't have a way for people to uh it was it. They didn't make the converter available enough for so then a lot of the people that might have brought came into it later that thought, oh, man, I still have these guitars laying around or whatever, and then oh I can't use them because you literally cannot buy the converter, right And it's like nice way to shoot yourself on the foot to have this have any kind of length outside of you having you know, DLC for which, to be fair to them, they did all the work to make the old DLC come in and work with the Series X and all that stuff like and and the PlayStation five and like a lot of credit to them to get all that stuff going when by a large part of that they were independent, you know, epic didn't own them until basically at the end, and that's when they ended DLC because at that point Carmonyx was just doing stuff for Fortnite and then they made the Fortnite Festival thing or whatever. But we'll see what comes out of this. I just think it's cool that they exist and they're doing something, and that's awesome that, you know, Embracer brought him in.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of surprised you have the right acting name because they didn't know that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think they it was some kind of they did a lawsuit with didn't they do a lawsuit with ACT Division or whatever to get the name back?
Speaker 2: I got at one point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but hey, we talked about Ubisoft in their Assassa's screen show. They are now also doing a far Cry show and it's in the works. Uh, Rob Mack is gonna star. He officially changed his name to Rob Mac. It's no longer Rob McElhenny because apparently everybody everybody says his name wrong, right, so he just changed. I also thought it was weird. I was like, oh, that was real. I thought it was a joke when I.
Speaker 2: Saw it named like Rob Big Mac.
Speaker 1: That would have been hilarious. Actually that would have that would have worked with the you know, the always sunny thing. But hey, what do you think the show?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the show is like gonna be run by Noah Hawley.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He did that Fargo show and he's doing an Alien Earth show that's premier in this week. I think is really good. Yeah, I've heard different season the Fargo has varying levels of quality.
Speaker 1: Black season one is great and then it kind of tails off.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: He also did the Legion show, which I really like back in the day. Yeah, I don't know. I I don't think it will happened. I mean no, I believe it's true, like once actually film or you know, footage of Goose or a trailer, you know, just you have to be so skeptical nowadays at this crap. It could be interesting and like them going into an anthology show might be fun, especially if they finally hit season three and to get h you know, Michael Manda Mando back is us from Parker I three.
Speaker 1: Oh you think trying to make it after the games?
Speaker 2: Well one and two doesn't matter because one and two basically have no plot, you know, basically, like, hey, I think I don't even know that the plot in one personally because like back then, they didn't they didn't really care about story. All I remember about two's plot is you have ah not anthrax, but you have like some I think it's malaria to keep taking medication for it. That's all I remember about two. But at least like once you get to three, that actually had like a story. So sure just have you know, yeah, I have Rob MacB like the white guy in the jungle hunting, hunting animals and making wallets out of their corpses and then taking down whatever evil government or you know, evil government. There isn't the in the country, right, and the second season can start any Divito.
Speaker 1: It's like everybody's always trying to get Danny DeVito for something.
Speaker 2: And everyone loves them. May it.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think like far Cray could work. It can work because they're just so little there, you know right that like you it's it's basically a name and like having good like fire tech or fire shit going on, like I like I said, I think until you hit like season like if they do, if they made it to a season three, like I would want season three to be a patterned after that game specifically, right, But then you can stop there because far Cry for the rest of them are not good.
Speaker 1: Oh, some people like Farkraft four. I think five kind.
Speaker 2: Of four is fine. Yeah, I guess Farcraft five were sort of really nose dive and then Farrit six. No one cared.
Speaker 1: About Farcraft six. Is interesting because like, man, I was really down with that story and then it's like nope.
Speaker 2: And then you realized that he's on Carl is only in it for like six minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, That's why I was kind of like, oh, this is a vait and switch. Man, He's hardly in this thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, damn like to start and then like at the end and that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but some sad duws. I guess here to end this. Uh Bithel Games which has made some games that Mark likes. They make the solitaire games you like.
Speaker 2: Right, they made one the Solitary Conspiracy, all right.
Speaker 1: And of course uh Bithel game is also known for Thomas was Alone. I was kind of an indie Darling Tron Catalyst and john wick X which john wick hecks like recently went offline.
Speaker 2: There the lost lost the rights to the name or whatever.
Speaker 1: So and unfortunately, because they couldn't get a big project his eleven employees were made a redundant yeah, which is the majority of the full time staff and studio. It sucks, you know, you know, he he said that he had an incredible team and that you know, he's hoping anybody that work there can find work soon. That sucks to see, even the really really small ones. That's a good effect like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think the problem with that company or you know, what they started to do is it's almost like what they do with a telltale, like if you only go after licensed stuff, yeah, and then licenses dry up or you know, there's not a huge demand for that stuff, Like what are you gonna do.
Speaker 1: Right exactly? Making your own like individual thing without the license is gonna be difficult people to care about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's not to say that that can't work, like but I would say, I mean, they're known for Thomas was alone, more than tron Catalyst, which you just came out a few months ago. So i'd say, go for you know, making your own stuff, and you have to self fund it, go that route or get you know, get some investors whatever. But right stuff out there.
Speaker 1: It is it's definitely too But all right, I guess we will end the show as we always do here talking about the games they're gonna come out, and this week ahead it's already been out for the people that you know, buy the extra special edition or whatever. But Madden NFL twenty six right out right now you can go play that finally for the people that are waiting on that as we head towards the NFL season beginning with preseason had their first week a couple of days ago. Send you a Saga help a two enhanced edition coming to PS five. Yeah, so we'll see if that has any kind of legs on PS five themselves, decently or not, you know, after all the not but okay, probably not. I think it'll sell decently.
Speaker 2: But I think cannot like, let's put it that way.
Speaker 1: No, it's not going to do that, definitely not. I mean, let's see, is it even gonna touch like it not? Probably not even gonna touch what Clayers. But either if it sells a million, I think they should be kind of happy.
Speaker 2: Thank God for that, I really.
Speaker 1: Because I imagine that there's a lot less to bought it on Xbox and see, especially after no One. But in Xbox it also has really bad word of mouth, which didn't help. The game was really was short and it made much more even more cinematic than the first game, and uh, you know they changed the combat a bit, so, right, not that enthused about it. Dragon Dragon Drive coming out for the Switch. That's the big switch for Switch to release after this month.
Speaker 2: I act earlier today and they actually had Twitched shoes for sale and I was like, shot, Like they had like I think they had at least four of each, maybe five. I was like, wow, you actually have them.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's good. The first time you've seen him out in the world. Right, Yeah, that's cool. That's good that you finally saw them. You know that they exist outside of.
Speaker 3: The Amazon Yeah, uh, there's no Football Manager of twenty twenty five, but you can't get the original version of Football.
Speaker 1: Star Manager on PC on the fourteenth, and also you get Teenage Music and Ninja Turtles Tactical Takedown, which strangeley is not coming to PlayStation five only switching Xbox. Yeah, that's like a first, we haven't we've seen it in a while. And then Off, which is like a remaster of the an old NESRPG that was sort of like the inspired Undertail. That's gonna be on switching PC, so I might check it out if it uh, if there's some some good reviews. Yeah, so that's that's kind of the majority of this week. Next week we start getting some some cool stuff and then obviously the end of the month is when we get some of the games he will been waiting on. Right, So, but all right, there's not anything else you want to talk about here. I guess that we'll wrap it up.
Speaker 2: Well, well, you didn't about last week because we were I kind of pressed for time, but we both saw it. Fantastic four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess, Yeah, go ahead, I guess we can. We can talk about it here.
Speaker 2: I was sign yeah, did you see Superman?
Speaker 1: Also, I have not seen it yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think Fantastic four is like eight. I don't want to say it's a better movie. It's a slightly more cohesive movie. That's because it's like a lot simpler. Like there's a lot of moving parts in Superman and it gets overburdened by that. But it's like a more ambitious movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll take away. Yeah, I've heard a lot of people say that it's like a lot of stuff going on right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just track like they have so many characters. I mean so many characters that like, you know, some people better to get like like a line in basically, and then they're like kind of like castaway or you know, just like a background character like Perry White. It's like, hey, I like, uh, I like this actor quite a bit. Why isn't he in here? Why is he saying shit?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had that fantastic for a fine Uh yeah, what do you think?
Speaker 1: I liked it a lot. I wouldly not a very high bar to clear to be the best fantastic for movie.
Speaker 2: And man that nineteen ninety one It's pretty all right.
Speaker 1: Didn't come out. Yeah, No, I thought it was good. It was I like the cast. Vanessa Curvey is probably the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was a entire movie, right.
Speaker 1: I really liked her in it. I thought everybody else was was good.
Speaker 4: Uh it's it's it's a fine Like it felt like we went back to uh like first phase Marble Like it's kind of something fine.
Speaker 2: It was a kind of perfunctory, but also like considering Marbles track record of the past few years, it's not a bad thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, go, we're we're heading back into the right direction right between Thunderbolts in this movie, right, we're we're heading back into like, Okay, these are good, fundamental movies. They are not oh my god, you need to go out and see this right now or whatever, but they're worth watching. Honestly. Uh, if I hadn't gone on the day that the movie to you costs five dollars, I might have been a little bit upset because both everybody fell asleep and sent me.
Speaker 2: So that's good. Yeah, little endorsement right there.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, she did not They like, they liked Thunderbolts a lot, but they did not like this movie at all because there's not the I do think like they were missing more of the comedy. They were missing more of the Johnny and uh than messing around with each other.
Speaker 2: And I actually didn't mind that because I don't need every Marvel movie to sound the same. Or it had the energy. Yeah, like the fact Johnny did crack a few jokes, but Ben was pretty straight laced or you know, he's just kind of there. Yeah. Yeah, they were like constantly equipping. I think it would have would have dredged done a little.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I don't think they needed to constantly quip but I did like the interactions between Read and There's a Woman. They did great too, uh like kind of brought in that like a little bit bite to the relationship thing and then that whole part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he saw like and he thought it was okay. I think he gave it like a six, maybe a seven. But he didn't like the lactice at all. Like he was just like, I don't understand his motivation. I was like, he eats, he doesn't need motive, Like what motivation? Yeah, well, he either wants to eat the world or like corrupt the kid, like that's all that is there.
Speaker 1: Well, he's trying to get the kid so that he's kind of replaced him, and also kind of like so he's not alone time.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah yeah, So you don't need more motivation than that. I mean you can have that, sure, but like I don't need some ten minute long you know, prologue orlass.
Speaker 1: Yeah you definitely. Yeah, thank god they did not spend telling me the whole history of Galactus or whatever. This definitely felt like, Okay, if you really wanted to know about these characters, reading the comic books would have done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, eighty years of history, go crack up in a fantastic for one online read it or you know.
Speaker 1: Marvel actually has like a YouTube video like recap of the whole.
Speaker 2: Right thing too.
Speaker 1: It's like an hour and a half if you want to really go dive into that.
Speaker 2: But and the best part of that movie is more Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Man was funny. Agree. Uh the music was too.
Speaker 2: Oh okay. I so Yen's liked the music, like the soundtrack quite a bit. I yeah, fantas ask for a choir song got like for a while. Yeah, they played it in the trailers constantly, So I didn't like that. But the one song I hated it I assume structed through the credits. Yeah, I did play a song right at the end of the credits that is like some Yeah, I thought of you Joan Baia this piece of shit like cover because you wore me.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, okay, I kind of see what Mark's talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god, this is awful.
Speaker 1: Also, I kind of felt like, okay, I really could have just not waited to the credits for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also like the reason I don't like that song also is like it's that song is like a hippie song basically, and it's like there's no hippies at all in this movie.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's this based in the sixties, I guess.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, but I took a tech like a like futuristic retro future. Yeah, like they wouldn't have to sixties. Yeah, they wouldn't tolerate hippies at all. There was running up and shot them. And I haven't watched it all. I don't think you care at all her. But they did bring Twists Metals back as well.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm gonna probably start I might watch some of that tomorrow. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I watched like the first five minutes of a new episode and I was all right, like, I'll get back to this later. But then I heard someone talking about it at a game store like a few days ago, like and they were like, oh, I know, I heard the bringing Cliss and Metal back and I didn't say it, but I was just thinking, like it's been back for two weeks, like no one cared, like.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, that's uh. I don't know if I'll probably just wait till Superman gets on Max or yeah whatever at this point, I don't know unless they decide that they they if I'll see if maybe they want to go check it out. Tomorrow, but I don't think so we're definitely gonna go see Nobody to next week.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah I didn't. I'm not seeing it in the theater. But I pre ordered the weapons like four K steel book.
Speaker 1: So oh, I gotta watch that with the Naya that comes out. Sure. But yeah, I just I've been watching some like documentaries on stuff that I find on HBO Max I get bored on or not bored, but like just I don't have my gaming stuff when I go to my girlfriend's house, so right, I'm just find things to watch and that kind of entertains me while she's gardening or you know whatever, when she doesn't when she's doing other stuff. So yeah, uh, there's one that was like the murder in Boston, which was really well done. I gout race relations in Boston along with this court case is going on, so yeah, and then I've been watching those. They have a new one that has two episodes now, the Yogurt Shop murders and in Austin. H Being from Texas, I remember hearing about that like as I got older. Obviously I was like three when right, like three when they happened, but as I got older, even living in Dallas. You kind of heard about it sometimes, so it's kind of cool to have the story background to it. But yeah, of course soccer is back now, so that's been my thing, and then football is on you back soon, so yeah, we'll have plenty of things.
Speaker 2: You start the sports podcast yet again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll drive my girlfriend crazy with oh my god, I'm gonna put the damn Cowboys on. Don't start screaming to the tv, right, But all right, thank you everybody for watching listening however, you check us out, give us a view, like subscribe on the YouTube channel, go give us five stars over there on the podcast side, and we'll see you next week
Speaker 2: Later