Speaker 1: So we'd like to introduce to Vessel Magic and ECW original, a former ECW television champion, a former e c W Tag team champion as part of the bit Bulls, Gary Wolf. Hello, Gary, how are you awesome?
Speaker 2: How you guys doing today? Very good?
Speaker 3: Thank you? That's awesome all right, Glad to have you here, mister Wolf. So I've heard recently that you have released a book.
Speaker 4: Is that true?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's called The Pitbull Unleashed. Actually here I must show it to you guys.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's to cover. Missy Hyatt wrote the back. Todd Gordon wrote the forward. Uh, it's a pretty good book, first one I ever wrote. Right now, it's number six out of wrestling books, which is pretty good, number forty nine at all sports books on Amazon which are one hundreds, so it's getting up there. It's getting pretty good hits. And people who know the pit bulls seeing the pit Bulls but never knew the behind stories of the pit bulls. You know, it's cool. Check out and it's a good read.
Speaker 3: Okay man, nice little history for us all to hear about. And I'm glad that you were able to write it and put your memoir in a way in this book, so we can read it and we can retell later on about it, but without further Ado Scully, what kind of questions do we have? Four pit Bull number one?
Speaker 4: This is really exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so fastly before we spoke about before we speak about the best thing, I wanted to ask more about you as a person, like growing up as a child and stuff like that. If you don't mind, Is that okay with you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So growing up, was you always a fan of wrestling or Yeah?
Speaker 2: When I was a young little kid, I mean I'd watch wrestling with my grandpa. He was a tang right off the boat man from Zigulian. Yeah, so he had the white hair, blue eyes, and he would he would watch wrestling because he liked Bruno San Martino. You know. So I was in the Superstar Billy Graham and you know, I'd love Andre the Giant. It was cool, you know, but I never thought I would become a wrestler, you know, because those guys were bigger than life back then. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like my dad always told me about like because obviously I'm fair. Uage used to tell me about like Giant for the UK wrestling like giant hay stacks and manners and stuff like that. And when he showed me, I was like, you found this, Like compared to what I seen that entertainment side, it was very different, if you get what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, especially in the UK. It's I think it's always different. Wrestling is different in all different countries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, i'd definitely say American wrestling is twenty times more entertainment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and maybe.
Speaker 2: Tr what you're into, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So that's fair.
Speaker 3: So along with the childhood portion, I wanted to ask you, were you ever an amateur wrestler in school or anything like that?
Speaker 2: Or yeah? I did that one year one sixty eight class, and then I ended up doing I was more a football player. I was a linebacker, defensive end. You know. I like to hit people, That's what I like to do. So, but then when I got out of high school, I mean, when I was younger, you got to realize my dad sent me a military academy. I was in military school because I'd go to schools and if I got picked on, I'd end up beating it out of a person and then I'd get in trouble. You know what I'm saying. So, you know, my dad put me in this school. Then I went to a Greenway academy which was for bad kids, and some kids was picking on me there and I threw them down a flight of steps. I didn't care at that point, you know. So then my dad sent me a military academy. It was called the Hardgrave Military Academy in Chatham, Virginia. Bad school ran by all Vietnam vets. Tough, mean motherckers man. I mean, they beat it at me every day. I mean it was rough, man, but it was good because it got me tough, you know what I mean. I was there from like nine years old to like probably fourteen fifteen. When it was time to go to high school. I went back to my regular high school and people didn't even recognize me because you know, I have had big arms and I was in shape, you know, because military school made it tough. You know, I was gonna be airborne Ranger Special Forces. So that was my plan. You know. I had my own businesses on the boardwalk and like that. My Grandpap invented the first poker machine. And I don't know if you've been on the boardwalk where you shoot the water gun game and you go into the clown's mouth and it blows up the balloon. Well, my grandpa invented that really, so all the all them Carni games. You know, that's where I'm from, you know what I'm saying. Uh, it was. It was very weird growing up because to hell, Vincent Price used to always be at my grandpa's house, which was very odd, you know what I mean, because he was a movie star. My grandpa had friends with everybody, you know, he was just that type of person. Yeah, but uh, definitely a quaranty. So I grew up as a quaranty. On the boardwalk. I would always have a skateboard in my hand period, you know what I mean. If I wasn't a military school, I'd be surfing, boogie board and BMX bike and I always was doing some kind of sport, you know. And then eventually, then eventually bodybuilding got in my mind. So I started working out young, which was good because when I decided to become a wrestler, I already had a pretty good frame going, you know what I'm saying. So I was we were bigger than most tag teams, you know what I'm saying. That young.
Speaker 4: I see, I see.
Speaker 3: So one last question before I passed back off to Scully, But I do want to ask you. Do you think the military Academy was beneficial for you? And do you think it really sets you up for your wrestling career?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, because it you know there you couldn't There was only three rules. You can't lie, cheat, or steal. Everything else goes. You know, you have a problem with somebody, you go to the match and you fight. You don't tell the colonel or the major. You know, you don't listen under their business. They don't want to hear about it, you know what I mean. So my first year, it was like I had one hundred and sixty eight hours. That they're called tours, and you have only two hours a day of free time and you could do, you know, play football or you know, do whatever you want to do, but you got two hours. My two hours were staring at a wall getting water boarded, you know. For I had one hundred and sixty eight hours. Man, I broke the record, and I was like, you know, my second year there, when I got there, I said, I can't beat these guys. I got to join them, you know, I decided you know, let me just go with it. And they broke me down and changed me. You know what I mean. I mean I was a sniper. I mean I hit a quarter one hundred yards away. Wow, in seventh in seventh grade, you know, so no bullet. I was ready. I was. I was. I wasn't even going to go to West Point like they had me set. When I graduated high school there, I go to West Point for four years. I told them, no, I'm not going to college because I'm going to end up going to a war. And you know, I walk on the field as a lieutenant. You know what I'm saying right off the bat, But I'm not going to go there to college for four years while those guys are fighting, you know what I mean. And then pop up, I said, Dad, I don't need to go to college. You know, I was already. You guys taught me what to do. You know what I mean, that shoot people and get ahead. You know that that was it. So I said, I don't want to go to college. I'd rather go into the service and get those four years in there, and I just get out four years sooner, you know what I'm saying. That's how I looked at it, and they have respected that, and they were cool with that, you know. But then once I seen, you know, I was going to be airborne ranger. You know, that's where they drop you off on the opposite side, you know. So but my scene what they did to my uncle, and because he was in the military, and that's when I decided, you know, in ninth grade, tenth grade, I want to go back to high school. I want to get out of there. That's what I did.
Speaker 4: That's fair.
Speaker 3: I mean, my father and both grandfathers actually were all hair born, so I hear you. They're not quite the same as everybody else, kind of perceives anyone else. So I understand completely what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean mad respect for your family. Man.
Speaker 3: Shit, Skully, here up, buddy.
Speaker 1: So how did that? How did you transfer to wrestling from there?
Speaker 2: I was at a gym working out. It was called a Tellis Gym in Wildwood, New Jersey, and WWE would come in and do this is when they were taping RAW. They weren't doing live yet, so they were going to the convention center to tape RAW. So the owners of the gym came up to me and my partner, a friend of mine named Andy Bronowski. He does he's leather Face in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Okay guy, the real big guy. Yeah, he's a friend of mine. And then another guy named Waldough. He had passed away, but his wrestling name was cry Baby Waldough. Big guy, like four or five hundred pound guy. It was huge. So they asked us, you know, yo, do you want to do security? And we were like, yeah, you know, that's cool. We don't buish Bulldog was going to be here. A lot of good big names were there, so we were like, hell yeah. So we snuck in the building Monday afternoon before the show. It wasn't until Monday night. So we snuck in and we jumped in the ring man, and we didn't know what we were doing. We just you know, started hitting the ropes, taking bumps, and before you know it, that ring whooped our hands so bad, Like I couldn't go to the gym for two weeks, that's how sore my body was. I had no idea what I was doing. I had no idea how to take a bump, you know what I mean. I remember Dick Whirl, he was sitting in the audience sitting in the crowd in the chairs. Nobody was in the building, just him. He was just sitting there watching us, you know. And then I sat next to him and went up and started talking to him. And he's like, who's that big blond guy. You know. I was Andy, of course, and I go, oh, that's my friend Andy. He goes he's huge. I said, yeah, he's a bodybuilder. He goes, Man, he's going to be another haulk Hogan, that guy, I said, naw, I said, he the same for him. I said, he's going to Hollywood and you know he wants to acting like that, you know. And he was like okay, and then he just checked us out, and you know, I just remember the next day waking up being so sore, you know, and my partner Anthony was just like, yeah, he was sore too, but I was, you know, he's he kind of liked it. I was just like that, man, I ain't doing that. It's just not you know what I mean. I don't know how to do it, you know. And then next thing, you know, I had like a Hamburger Chief Steak place on the beach between Mary's Peer and Hunts Peer. So I had a beach grill, and then I had some water ice carts on the boardwalk and on the one of the piers, so I'd open up every day. And I figured, let's go to the beach. And we're in the beach about knee high water and we're practicing like soup lexes and like that, and we're doing it in the beach and you know, and about water up to you about knees, you know. So the water broke or fall and we didn't really get hurt. And that's how we started learning how to do. And then right after summer it was winter time and when we went back home and come to find out, the Monster Factory was only forty five minutes from our house where we both lived in that town, that small town in Hamilton, New Jersey. So Anthony one day came up to me and said, yo, man, they have a pro wrestling school right there. Man, the real original nature boy, Buddy Rogers opened it. It's his school. Larry Sharp runs it, Charlie Fulton trains with him. You know a lot of guys been in there, you know, and been out of there, and big names, you know. When I went there, Bam Bam Biggel, I was just leaving, you know, and the Godfather was still was just leaving to go to Japan, you know. So we got in there and he told me he signed up, and I said, well, give me like about thirty days to make a couple of hours. And I remember going talking to Larry and he goes, yeah, Anthony's been here a month, and he goes, what do you want to join? I said yeah, and he goes and I said, at that time, it was three thousand dollars to join a wrestling school, a legit good wrestling school. And I told him, and I got five hundred I could put down and I'll make payments. And he said, absolutely, no problem. And that's how it started in nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Interesting, So did you have any other notable names with you at that time, because I believe, if I remember correctly, Raven also went through the Monster.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he went through the Monster Factory. I believe. Were there any others that were also.
Speaker 2: With you at that Oh, Ken, Shamrock, Uh, Katanka Uh. They were in South Atlantic with me. Vince TERRELLI was Shamrock. Katanka was called Chris Chevis. He was doing the Indian gimmick there. We had Ricky Steamboat working with us there. Flair would pop in once in a while, the Malakos, the Fantastics would come in from Japan, Big John stud would pop in. We were in the stud state, but with Robert Fuller and Matt Bourne Maniac Matt Bourne, which was great, you know. And we started off as baby faces there, you know, and the Nasty Boys weren't even there yet. And I remember, like I kept telling Robert, I kept telling the Paul Jones and George Scott. I was like, look, man, I said, let us can we do a heel promo? I said, you know, I like being baby faced, don't get me wrong, but you know, I just have a feeling we're better heels, you know. And he didn't believe me. So finally, after a couple of weeks he finally got one of the tapings. He said, okay, just to shut you look up, you know, cut theffing promo and then I don't want to hear nothing else. And I said, okay, no problem. So we cut the promo and he got pitt his jawl hit the ground and he threw his notebook down and he goes after he put his hands in the air, and Paul Jones just looked at us and said, you guys are natural heels, you know what I mean, like natural born killers. Man. We were. We had it in us. That's how we are, you know. We're Philly Jersey guys. You know, gangsters. Man. We don't give them you know, sorry, but but you know, you know, that's how we are, you know. And they were like, Okay, well the Nasty boys are coming in, and I guess they're going to be the babyfaces. I said, yes, they are, you know. I was like, cool, we turned the nasty boy's baby face. That's pretty impressive, I think, you know. But we were lucky, like you got to remember, we were We worked for Jerry Lawler and that was six seven nights a week. We worked for Jeff Jarrett and his dad. You know, when Jarrett was a kid, you know what I mean, he's only I think he's my age, maybe a year younger or something like that. But I was on the road with him when he was in his twenties. Man, and his dad was our boss. You know. We would do five, six, at least six seven shows a week, you know, so we were lucky. We were able to hit those territories, you know. And the last one was Paul Jones and George Scott in South Atlantic, which was good because we entered in the stable and they worked out because Vince, you know, he sent us there. You know, I remember Cowboy Bob Warton came down to the school. Always a lot of guys from WA would be there. Uh, and he was in the office talking to front of Larry. Now he left, said goodbye to us, and then Larry said, come on in the office, I want to talk to you guys. Because we were already working for Vincent eight nine while we were going to school, we were working for WWS. But we would do all like Tri state area, like New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania. We would do all their shows, you know what I mean. And then we got in good because Grillham monsoon liked us, so we then we started doing overseas tours with that. So I'd be on a two week tour in Austria. You know, it's me. It's the pit Bulls versus Jimmy Snook and Brutush the Barbara beefcake I mean, come on, you couldn't ask for anything better than that. I mean, that was cakewalk you know, easy, easy, and we just and us we looked at it as we're learning, you know, and that's the best way. Nikita, cole Off and magnum Ta. There's so many guys out there, Lex Luger, they didn't go to wrestling school. They learned on the road, you know what I'm saying. So we did both, you know, and learning on the road, especially going in eighty eight, going to going to New Zealand against the British Bulldogs was a fantastic I mean, that's what got us over because those guys went back to work and everybody talks, you know, how was your tour? It was good man. We worked against you know, these guys and they were cool, and that's what happened, you know, because the first night wasn't It was a scary night, you know what I mean. We were young kids all the way to the other side of the world going in front of fifty five thousand people against the British Bulldogs and they don't want to give us a finish. They're like, we'll call it out there, see out there. You know, that was a test.
Speaker 4: You know, that's fair.
Speaker 3: And I'll be honest with you, I totally agree you guys. You have the heel look, that intimidating stature, and just the way you guys forming the ring so intensely. It makes sense to be heels for the two of you.
Speaker 4: And I'll be honest, it's the most good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Even if we're baby faces, we don't change our style of work. You know, we hate We keep the same style baby face and heel, and I mean we're like the road Warriors, man, we were in the Steiners. I mean they budot us or they cheered us. It didn't make a difference to us. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: That's valid, And I do agree that turning the Nasty boys baby face that's impressive because I feel like they were always kind of heels, you know, absolutely absolutely, that's got to go ahead.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you worked with a lot of wrestlers, a lot of big names, and you traveled all over the place. But I always wondered, like I can imagine in my head, but how hard was it like for your body and your mental strength, like traveling from here to there? Like for me, I have a job, it's only ten minutes down the road to go to the same boarding place every day. But you've got to go here, there, and everywhere.
Speaker 2: Well, being young, it was great because, like I said, we started traveling young, like nineteen twenty. We weren't even I mean we were drinking age because it was eighteen at the time until they switched to twenty one, you know, so we were already locked in. So it was cool for us. But going to the UK, going all over the world was fantastic. I mean, at one point we looked at each other and we're like, yeah, we're getting groomed to work for Vince, but man, I'm having more fun going all over the world. I only don't give it if I work in the United States, I'll be honest with you. That's where we were at at one point, you know, you know, because and then when we were in South Atlantic when Japan came looking for us, you know, out of the blue, you know now was just from talk. That was from the malinkos coming in, the fantastics coming in, you know, and British bulldogs that you know got to work with us, and you know they talk. Everybody talks. You know. We ended up wrestling the Wild Samoans and it was over from there because they would all talk, you know, because if they're doing an independent show. The booker back in them days would be like, who do you want to wrestle? And the Simons will go bring to Pimples and they're local and we would do it, you know, and it was perfect. You know, we ended up being really I was. Kevin Sullivan was like a father to me, man, you know what I'm saying. And he opened so many doors. He introduced us to Don Morocco, King Curtis, you know, Jimmy Snook who ended up marrying my girls aunt right now before he passed away. You know what I'm saying. And you know, it's crazy because I never realized I'd be able to be a part of the business because back in the day, you know, I'd look at these guys. Even the first time I was in their locker room, I couldn't believe how big men these guys were. You know what I'm saying. We were kids, man, these guys were men and they were big. I remember Ted DBIASI was, I mean, this guy's a big dude. He hit me so hard. I hit my pants okay in the ring, no bullshrub. He hit me right across the face with the clotheslines so hard like I said, Man, it was like because you know, when you got butterflies in your stomach and you're going in front of Yeah, I'd never been in front of thirty something thousand people. You know what I'm saying. You know, you know when I first started, you know, our first match was against a Heart Foundation. You know what I mean? You know, we were kids, Thank goodness. Gorilla Monsoon was doing commentary with Vince McMahon, and Gorilla was tapping him on the leg like, look at these guys. They're only like twenty years old, nineteen years old. Looking, they're already built, you know. I mean, let's get him out and look, let's get him on the road. Let's get him ready. That's what happened.
Speaker 3: We were lucky, you know, Okay, man and I agree. People do talk, and that's something that a lot of people don't really appreciate enough, is the fact that word of mouth goes so far. If you're able to get it out there enough, you just got to make everybody know, hey, I'm here, and then keep projecting that until everybody talks about you.
Speaker 2: Oh. When I walk into locker room, dude, I mean I know locker room etiquette. I go up to every single person and introduce myself, shake their hand made event, Thanks for the house. You know I'm saying, that's how I was taught all school, you know what I mean, never changed, you know, never, And I've been almost almost what thirty something for almost forty years in the business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's incredible, I gotta say. So, where exactly did you feel that the start of your biggest successes really started to come in? When did it really all come into play for you?
Speaker 2: Once Japan came down looking for us, and that's New Japan Pro Wrestling back in the day. That's when Hasse and Sasaki had the tag belts, you know what I mean, That's when Vader and Bigelow had the heavyweight titles. You know what I'm saying, like monsters, you know. Uh, we went to New Zealand. We did. We had a great two weeks. We learned so much. They went back. They must have put the word out the pit bulls are cool. They're good workers. They're young, but they're they're good kids, you know what I'm saying. And next thing, you know, man like she's just started happening, you know, you know, the American pit bulls versus the British Bulldogs. You know, we drew fifty five thousand people in New Zealand. You know, we filled the Olympic Stadium. It was amazing, you know what I mean working against them guys, and we did it in two weeks, which was awesome, you know what I mean. We learned. We went back again against the Guerrero brothers. Okay, that's Eddie Guerrero's dad, Hondo and Mondo okay, and then Ray Mysterio's dad. You know, I went back again against the Bushwhackers, which were the sheep Herders because they're from New Zealand. As the sheep Herders, they were hardcore. It was crazy. So you know what was good about us is you know, I talked to Vince McMahon, you know, and I said, look, here's a contract from New Japan Pro Wrestling. Can you match his contract. If you match it, I'm staying here. If you don't, I'm going to go to Japan. Okay. There's guys that are working for Vince McMahon right now that's never been to Japan, Okay, especially on their own. You know, they'll probably go with WWE, you know what I'm saying. But you know, I was going to Japan because they scouted as Tokyo. Joe scouted me as my partner and said, you guys are japan material. Man, Look at you. I want to see more sue plexes. Because he came in. He would come and visit us in North Carolina, you know, but we were kept going to NWA. I kept going to the NWA shows anytime they were in Charlotte because I was trying to get a job with them. You know. I was into the Rick Flair, the Magnum, the Ora Anderson's and the Four Horsemen, and you know that was more grown up, you know, to me. When I would look at WWE, back then, it was all characters. It was like, you know, a comic book strip, you know what I'm saying. Even though it was great, I mean, the work was easy. I mean, you barely. I mean I would have to make eye contact with the boss man just to make sure I knew he was hitting me. That's how late he was, you know, even akeem how big he was, he would drop an elbow on me. I disappeared. People would think I went through the ring. I barely felt him. I mean, you know, one man gang is an awesome guy. Man, he could work as apt these guys are. You know, I didn't realize what work working was until I went to Vince McMahon and started working with them guys. You know, the Rougeau Brothers, and you know the powers of Pain. You know all them guys. You know, they were all there. We wrestled all of them and it was a great experience. You know. It helped us so much, and it got us respect from them, you know what I mean. Because we were young. I mean, they could have took advantage and beat this out of us. You know, we would have took it. We would have gave it back as much as we could, but we don't. You know, when Devias hit me with a clothesline, I had to come in to me, you know what I mean, because he set up the spot. You know, he told me, he said, listen, I'm gonna send Virgil over to you. This was for TV, because Virgil is going to come in off for you one hundred bucks. You say, no, get outside the apron, get outside the ring. When I come over to you, I'm going to come and hit you. You can give me a shoulder tackle and then slingshot yourself in the ring, give me a sunset flip. And I'm like, okay, no problem, yes sir. You know, we go out there, I do the spot. But I try to hold him down, man, I would I tried to hold him down on purpose. I don't know why. I don't know what I was thinking. Man, Honestly, I really don't know what I was thinking, because but I knew he was gonna nail me. He got up and he cut me off with a clothesline. Like I said, I show my pants. Man. I had to go before I had to go out there anyway, so I was probably squeezing it might anyway, you know. So once he hit me with that clothesline, bro, I was just like fu. But he came in the back room and he was waiting for me to I could just see him because he kept going like this with his hand, you know, rubbing his jaw and opening his mouth. You know, he was waiting for me to break his balls, you know, dude. I walked up, shook his hands and think very much. You know. Of course I changed and already showered through that shaway and came back in. You know, when I seen him, like I said, he was waiting for me to fin. I just said, thank you, sir, I appreciate it. Sorry, I was a little snug on the sunset. I said the receipt it was nice. It's all good, bro, you know what I mean? That was it, And Virgils like, give me that fie hundred hour build back. He took the hundred dollar build back. And they both were like talking to each other as they were going away, and I heard Debios say, see that, now that guy's gonna last because he's not big, you know, because that's all they he was waiting for me to say, is yo, what's all being stiff? You know what I mean. I'm not gonna say that number one I had it coming to. I mean number two, I'm not gonna bet anything ever like that. We never did that because, believe me, I potato people a lot. I'm snug, you know. I like d Russell.
Speaker 3: Strong style, you know, yeah, nothing wrong with that. I mean, there's plenty of guys, especially in the Japanese scene, who have made so much success off the Strong style. Just because it's not necessarily w WE style doesn't mean that it's wrong, And I think it's a fair way to go, you know, makes it look realistic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like I said, me and Anthony like we were able to adapt to like you know, we could do Triple A, we could do Japan, we could do Puerto Rico, you name it, down South, you name it. We could wrestle it. We could wrestle every style there is, so we can adapt to anybody's style. First people, the first tag team that Ray Mastereo and Move into Guerrero wrestled in America in New York was the pit Bulls, okay, and we had a great match with them. Guys. I remember Paul haym And pointing to Ray mystereo and Move in two and saying, you're wrestling these two guys. And I look at Paul Hayman and I said, they look like they're twelve and thirteen years old? Are you sure you who'd have wrote them here? He's like, Conan brought them here. He goes, they're lucha doors. I'm like, oh, oh, okay, so they wear masks and stuff so nobody will see their face. He's like, no, nobody will tell. Nobody's going to know how old they are. So I'm just saying they look twelve years old, you know what I mean? Ray is tiny, you know, but we went out there and we were actually balls at a wall man for like thirty five forty minutes. I mean, Paul was actually kind of pissed and be be honest with you, He's like he gave them too much. I'm like, yeah, but it was fun. I mean they could really they really work great, you know what I mean. They fly all over the place. You know, you just got to catch them. So that's what we were doing, you know, And I ended up becoming good friends with y. You know, it was cool.
Speaker 3: Dude, that's welled, Scully, go ahead, man, I don't mean hug the spot.
Speaker 1: That's yeah. I was going to ask about your relationship with your tag team partner, Like, obviously he was a team in the ring, he was a team on television, but what about your friendship stage.
Speaker 2: We grew up in the same town, went to the same school. I ended up getting in trouble. I had to go to jail. So I ran into Anthony in the gym. You know, he had his clique. I had my click, you know, and then we just started working out together and we became friends. And then I introduced them of the mic boys from the City of Philadelphia and they would go down to wild Wood every summer and we'd get a house down there. We'd stayed the whole summer on the beach and let work out at a Tellnis gym it was called. It was like it was like a gold gym, like it was for just for Jim rats, you know what I mean, guys, I just want to get big, and that's all we would do. And I would, like I said, you know, I'd had my businesses on the boardwalk, so it was like a vacation and I work. I'd work all summer, but it was like a vacation and they I would I would work out twice a day. It'd be like early, like before I would go to the beach, I'd work out, and then I would when I would get done bouncing at the club at two am, I'd go do another. I'd do a small body part before I'd go back to my place and go to sleep. So I was I wanted to be a bodybuilder. I mean, that's what I was getting myself ready for, you know at that point. And then like I said, and I found wrestling, and you know, there was there was I used to work out with Johnny Jackson who's a pro. So, I mean I've been I've trained with pro bodybuilders in my day, many pro bodybuilders. The lifestyle I have eventually realizes if for me. So that's when I realized, you know, you know, let me try wrestling to see what happens, you know, and and ended up being good because we had good attitudes. You know what I'm saying. You gotta have you know, you don't have to like everybody, but you don't let them know you don't like them. You know what I'm saying. It's like you know what I mean, It's like you gotta like it's our business is very very very political. You know what I'm saying. It's like you got to know how to navigate your way through, you know, and be cool with everybody. You know. Robert Fuller would introduce me to to Maniac Matt Bourne, and you know when I met him, I would meet I would meet Mark Callous who's the Undertaker. I met him and said vicious together because you know, Robert Fuller training them guys, you know what I'm saying, and meeting them, you know, I became tight with the Undertaker at a young age, you know what I mean. He was cool with us, man, he liked us. He'd come up with good ideas, and I remember one time he's like, man, I want to bring you guys in and make these the mad dogs from hell. You know what I mean. You're in my yard, you're my two dogs. You know what I'm saying. I'd come out with you in the chains. But he would mention it the Vince, and Vince would say no because Vince wouldn't come up with the idea. Because that's how Vince says, you know, getting his idea sometimes he you know, if it's his idea, you know, you got to make him think he came up with it. He'll do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, That's how my boss is the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean there's people like that, you know what I mean. You have to understand in this world, they are just people that want to do their own way.
Speaker 3: You know, That's just how it is, so right right, you got to push it into their ego, let them think, oh, it was my idea, I'm the genius behind this, and then yeah, I have.
Speaker 2: No with that man.
Speaker 5: You know, Like the only thing I wish I would have did was work for Vince long enough to do a WrestleMania or two, and then you know, then did whatever.
Speaker 2: I was gonna do. You know what I'm saying. So, I mean, once I was leaving ECW, we were going to w CW. We were signed that contract with him, We already had the deal made. I just remember calling Bischoff up to get my flight information and him telling me Vince McMahon just bought WCW and he can't sign any new talent. And they killed me, Manu. He was gonna give me and my partner a three year deal for one point five That's a lot of money, man. He was paying them guys a lot of funny. Man. Back then, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall are making nine hundred a piece a year. Because you got to realize, Ted Turner use that wrestling company has a write off just like ae w's Dylan, you know what I mean a w I mean, they're oil money and they own the Jaguars, you know, so all their loss is going to be the wrestling. You know, that's all a right off man. The old man gave it to the Tony Kahan and said, here, kid, get out of my hair, go do something with your life. You like wrestling, so I bought your wrestling company, Now do something, So it's a.
Speaker 4: Better way to put it.
Speaker 1: They own Fulham Football Club?
Speaker 2: Is about that? Please? Yah? Yeah? Yeah, they're they're update they like I said to me, that's how I look at it, you know, I look at it like he probably writes everything off from ae W so they can pay all them guys what they pay them, and they don't give it. You know, they don't care, you know. I I know guys at work there who tell me. You know, they're supposed to be agents telling the guys what to do, and guys don't listen. Yeah, so it's just different error of wrestlers.
Speaker 4: So that's fair.
Speaker 3: Moving on a little bit, so I do want to ask you what was your experience like working in ECW and working in front of that Philly crowd.
Speaker 2: How did it feel? Man? Awesome? Man, it was great because they weren't they were smart, marks they weren't stupid. So I mean, working in that building, you have to know. If you're not ready for that building and you go in there and you say you screw up a spot, you know, the crowd will let you know and they'll never let you forget about it. So I always tell people you know, you know, because they're all happy and young. I'm going to that building. I'm going to wrestle there, so I'd be very honest them. I said, well, I suggest you put your thinking cap on. And they're not stupid people, they're smart marks. So if you would try to insult their you know, insult their intelligence by doing something stupid, they're going to tell you about it. You're gonna hear about it, and they'll never gonna let you forget about it. So don't mess up. And I always tell people that you know, and if you mess up, make sure you recover quickly and they'll forgive you.
Speaker 4: That's valid. So what was the creative process? Like with Paul Hayman, he.
Speaker 2: Would tell us what he wanted and then give us the opportunity would Now this is something Vince wouldn't do. Give us the opportunity of using our own imagination what we've been taught in this business to do, and put our you know, our five six cents into what we're doing, you know what I mean. And we're part of the creative part, which was fantastic. You know what I'm saying. Nobody you know who does that and don't do that man. I mean I used to remember working for them and they would Pritchard would come up to me, Bruce. You know, you gotta remember Bruce was working for Vince McMahon when he was eighteen years old, so he understood me and Anthony because we were young. You know. They would tell They would tell me and Anthony, you guys, you guys got fifteen minutes, you know what I mean, have a good match, you know. And when we get up to the curtain, he would look at us and be like, all right, four minutes, you know, and then we're looking at each other, like four minutes. We talked about a match for fifteen How we got to cut it down to four minutes? And it's like, okay, go you know that's how That's how hard it was for us to learn. And that's the position. They what I said, Because TV is very important, we realized, you know, every minute counts. So it's you know, when Bruce Pritcher is sitting there looking at the monitors and he tells Bret Hart to go out there and cut a promo for five minutes and come out. Brent's out there for fifteen minutes, and you know, Bruce Pritcher's pulling his hair out, you know what I mean, losing his mind because you're losing all that time, you know, and that's a lot of time. So you know, he could trust guys like Triple Ags. He could trust guys like Heartbreak Kid, you know what I mean, Sean Michaels, because you know they knew to keep to their times, you know what I'm saying. That's how it was back in the day. You know, I'd go to shows back in the day and first match, I mean, they don't even want to see a clothesline, you know what I mean, A couple of arm drags, maybe a body slam, you know what I mean. That's about it, man, you know, save the rest of the killing for the main event. At Rick Flair, tell me that.
Speaker 3: Interesting, interesting, Scully, go for it man.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was going to ask, like, obviously you went from wrestling normal matches to hardcore wrestling. What was that like using weapons and such?
Speaker 2: Uh? We were okay with it. I mean, I'd loved breaking tables, ladders and share I hate ladders, I mean, but i'd like the chairs. I liked like breaking tables. I mean I was in the barbed wire baseball bats. I mean sometimes if I if I go to Japan for fm W or Wings that was a very hardcore company, h a lot of weapons in that company as well. Then both of those companies, uh knew Japan was more. You know, you're going against Master Chono. You know, I'm wrestling. I'm doing an hour against uh Under Lagger. You know. They would tell me forty five minutes pit bull against Lagger, you know, and I'm like, holy, you know, thank God, I was in good shape, you know what I mean. I was. You know, I made sure I was in great shape before I even went to Japan, you know, because I was told ahead of time, you know, you better be able to do five hundred free squads and you know what I mean, you should better be ready to do an hour. You know what I mean is what I was told. So me and my partner were in JAT when we first went to Japan, man, I mean, we were in shape like motherfucker. I mean, we looked like bodybuilders, but we were wrestling shape ready. Three week tour, first tour, it was rough. We were there with the Killer Bees, the Samoan SWAT team which was Yoka Zuna and Sambu, the Canadian Canadian guys who was Lafont and Doug Furnace, great tag team, Ben Ben wahb would be there with us. Jericho Owen Hart, Dean Malenko, Eddie Guerrero, Sad Boo. I mean that was the clique that we kind of hung with, me and my partner because we were all short guys five nine, five ten. You know, we weren't big guys. We were you know, short guys, but we do it. Just made up for it, you know, in our moves and whatever we did. You know, Steiners also would be there with us, you know Bam Bam, Invader Chung Lee who you know, Master Chono, Master Saito, Tiger Jet Singh's dad. Okay, I mean I got to work with these guys. You know, these guys were silver medal gold medalists, silver medalists. You know, I hurt myself one night. I blew my hamstring. Man I remember, no, actually I blew my quad. My knee was blown. He was shot and masters it was a zuki, Yeah, the one that was in the Olympics and won a silver medal. He saw my knee and was like really pissed off. He was just like, what happened? And I told him what happened, and he started he started hitting Tiger jet seing one of the referees Tiger, and he was like, why didn't you take him to the hospital, you know, And he's like, WHOA, I don't know, you know, He's like, take him the hospital, you know. So he told me to the hospital. They didn't did just gave me regular X rays. They didn't give me an MRI, so they couldn't see what was really wrong with my knee. So to them, they're just like, oh, bad bruise, bad bruise. So I didn't care because I didn't want to get sent home, you know. I wanted to still stay. So I just kept icing it and icing and icing it until the swellen went down, and then I'd had the black Cat. He was called the black Cat. He was a tape master, Like he knew how he could tape, Like I tore a hamstring once and he would tape my hamstring and I'd give me it. He would tape a hamstring to my body so I could still work. That's how amazing this guy was. So what I told him to do is I can't. I had dead leg. I couldn't raise my like sitting down. I could not raise my foot, okay, because my quad was completely torn off. So what I told him to do is tape it like a fin peg leg, you know what I mean, like a stiff leg. So that's what he did. Because we had to wrestle Haasei and Sasaki in the Tokyo Dome in front of sixty five thousand people. And I wasn't gonna miss that, you know what I mean. Hurt or not hurt, I still wrestled. We lost, but we cut the ring off. We wrestled smart, and I still we still got the respect from the fans because I mean they would come up to us and they said, look, we understand you lost, but you had a good fight and you didn't back down. You still fall even though you were hurt. I had one leg. I still would body slam them, you know, fall to the ground, roll, use my other leg, kick them out of the ring, you know, roll outside the ring. You know. You know I'm hobbling around, but I'm still picking them up and body slamming them on the concrete. I don't care. Then I would tag Anthony and throw him right back in. You know, we would just cut the ring off. I mean it was a good match, you know, we lost, but we still got the respect of the fans. They liked us anyway, so they would. That's how it is in Japan. They respect you even though win, lose, or draw, as long as you don't act like a baby and you know what I'm saying and do something stupid where they make fun of you. If you're tough and you give it your all, and they see that because they sit there and watch you work, they don't clap unless you do something to impress them, you know what I mean. Just silence, man, You can hear a pen drop, and so you do something where they all will stand up and clap for you. That's how it was when I was there. Man, it was very different than.
Speaker 3: The States I see, and that's pretty cool. I'm glad that you got to have that experience over in Japan. The Japanese crowd is very interesting. But one thing that I do want to ask you, because we're coming kind of close on time here, and one important question at least to me, if you could have one last dream match as the pit Bulls and to go against anybody from history, who would you choose.
Speaker 2: What we want. Tag teams of later days or tag teams of.
Speaker 3: Today, anytime you want, and you can even go with more than one if you'd like.
Speaker 2: Well, you gotta remember we worked with almost everybody. Yeah, yeah, I would say I would like to live go on against the young Bucks. I think they'd be fun work to work with. Me and my partner would have a good time with them. The guy remember the Briscoes, and you know they used to come to my school. So you know what I mean. I'm a tag team specialist, so I trained a lot of tag teams man in my day. Uh. Probably. I don't think we ever worked demolition Okay, yeah, I never worked dem militia. Yeah, I mean, I like I said, people don't realize how many guys, how many people we've been in the ring with. Man, it's you know, I can tell you that I can just go off. Roujo Brothers, Heart Foundation, British Bulldogs. You named the tag team we went against them? All Money, you know what I mean, dB Irs, you know what I mean, The Windham Brothers, the Malinkos, the Fantastics, the Rock and Roll Express, Steiners, Lesion of Doom. You name the tag team we went against them.
Speaker 3: It's really hard to say, you know, it's fair Scully. Any last questions before we start wrapping up.
Speaker 1: Not really. I was just gonna say, obviously, back when you as a team, there's a lot of proper tag teams, there isn't as many anymore. Why do you think the tag team division's not as prominent?
Speaker 4: I guess, good question.
Speaker 2: Well, I remember in Vince McMahon's mind, he would always be like, you know, I got to pay four guys instead of two guys. You see what I'm saying. So he was killing the he was killing the tag team division when he CW was bringing the tag team division back. Okay, in W, CW was bringing it back. I mean when they signed, when they were going to sign us, they were signing us for the December pay per view was going to be our first night out, and they were putting us against the Steiners and the Steiners were dropping the belts to the Pitbulls on Christmas Night pay per view. That's what they told us, and that's why we said, well, sign a three year deal, no problem, because I knew once we signed that three year deal, I knew we would get another three year deal. I knew he would, so then we were going to retire and we were done, so unless Vince went to bring us back, like ninety eight, he called us up. They put us against the head Bangers. We had a pretty good match. I thought we had a great match, very easy. They were going to put Terry Reynolds as our manager and they were supposed to bring us back, but then they never did. So that's when I moved to Melbourne, Australia, and I worked for Hardcore Championship Wrestling there and I was there for almost a year, and we were the tag team champs there. And the guys that were there were no slouches. The Bruce Brothers were there, the Samoans were there, the Canadian tag team was there, the city else who else was there? The Headhunters, I say the Headhunters. Headhunters. They had a good tag We had to get a really good tag team division there. And they put the straps on us. Just like Puerto Rico. They put the straps on us. Man. We always, I don't care where we were, we got the straps, you know, especially down South. They threw the belts on us in South Atlantic. You know, we were in the stud stable with the with the tag belts, nasty boys chasing us all. They always wanted the heels to hold the belts and have the baby faces chase them. That's how it was, old school style. So being a heeled, they would always throw the belts on us, you know, So it was cool. I had no problem with it.
Speaker 3: You know, that's valid. I really like that. And you know, I'll be honest with you. I feel like this is the most genuine interview that I've had you seen. I'm like a very genuine person with all this information. You're just giving it to us as it was from how you were back then, and it's just how it is.
Speaker 4: I kind of like this, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can't tell you what it did three minutes ago, but I know I remember my that happened a long time ago, man, you know what I mean? Like Sam Man always says, how do you get remembered as shit? I'm like, I I mean, I get up and go in the kitchen. I don't know what I got up for, you know, because I've had so many concussions, but I remember what happened in the past, which is crazy because a lot of guys, I mean, I could see it on their face. They feel bad because they don't remember, because that's how you messed up. We were not much. We partied. I mean, you got to remember when I was in the Vince McMahon's locker room in they ate the late eighties. They didn't even have a drug policy yet, they weren't even testing anybody yet. Okay, it was insanity. Man. When I walked in that locker room, I was like, whoa, you know. And then eventually and all the other locker rooms it wasn't like that. And then next thing you know, I'm in the E. CW locker room, And what a different locker room that was. I mean, I mean I was in the Philly Click, so you know, we were like the city was me and my partner, City Bro. I ran all the security and all the night clubs there. So anytime we were in Philly and we went out afterwards, I would take everybody out with us, you know, and we'd get in the clubs for free. We drank for free. I mean, we had everything handed to us, you know what I'm saying. That's why I remember, you know, Vince called us that in ninety eight and we went I mean Dwayne to Rod Johnson I remember Dwayne when he was a little kid. He was like ten years old or something, you know, or twelve years old, and I met him. Next thing I know, I see him in the locker room. He's a grown man now and he's like, come on, man, Pitt Bulls, you're gonna take me out. You're gonna take me out, right, take me out, Philly, show me a good time, you know. And I look at Anthony, I'm like, do I'm not. We're not taking you out, man. All we gotta do is take you out, and you get in trouble. What's gonna happen? You know what I mean? Rocky Johnson's gonna be knocking on my door. Oh man, I ain't having that, you know what I mean. I don't want to get in trouble. You know. Then Heartbreak kid would be like, you know, Seawan Michaels. You know, he's like, oh, Marty told me about you guys. You know you guys are partiers. Man, You're gonna take me out, take me out. I look at my partner and I'll be blunt. You know, why would I take Shawn Michaels out. So then the next day he tells everybody what we did, you know, just to show on us, you know, make us get in trouble, and Vince don't want to hire us, you know what I'm saying, So what do we do? We were tight with Steve Austin, he's my boy. You would be at my house. He would come. Steve Austin would come hang out with me at my house before we would go to the E CW Arena because I was only about ten blocks away my house, So we would party at my place. Rick Rude Mango, anybody that went through ECW would always be at my house, in the pit Bulls house, and we you know, and that's that's how it was. I mean, we had a reputation. If you're in Philadelphia, get with the pit Bulls and you're gonna have a good time. Hell yeah.
Speaker 3: But uh, all right, So we're getting towards the end of the show here, So last question that we will ask you interview wise, sir, do you have any recommendations for the audience this week?
Speaker 4: So it can be.
Speaker 3: Anything, movie, TV show, video game, poem, recipe, food, cat breed. I don't care. Anything that really says something about you.
Speaker 2: Man. Well, I had to change my diet recently, and I love pizza. So I decided what can I do to satisfy that urge without get you know, without calls and problems than my health. So I buy a couple pounds of ground chick in, put it in a pan, flatten it as flat as I possibly can. I bake that. Take that out, so you got that's that instead of having dough, that's what I use chicken. Then I throw sauce, cheese, everything that you want on a pizza back in the oven for about fifteen to twenty minutes. Take it out. It's like a chicken parm So you guys can eat your pizza cheat and still get your protein. So that's my secret recipe that I'm giving out to you guys. Awesome, great right before I put it before I put my cookbook out. But don't forget brothers. Also, just so you know, I am interested in wrestling the Billington Boys. Really, yeah, I do have a I just signed a new tag team partner. He's pit Bull three because pit Bull two did pass away in two thousand and three. So I just signed finally a pit Bull three, and uh, we are interested in going against the Billington Boys, So step up, shut up getting the ring with the pit Bulls. I think we'll make history like we did with the Bulldogs. I think it would be a good thing. I love Dynamite. He was a really cool dude. I got along with him and Davy Boy very much. Also, I own the Women's Hall of Fame and I own the Tag Team Hall of Fame. And we're gonna be inducting Soreya Page's mom, Julia. Is that her name her first name?
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, We're gonna be inducting her into the Women's Wrestling Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame, and we're gonna make her part of the pit Bulls Mad Dogs of War. So when we need a girl, she's going to wrestle with us. So we're gonna use some England people with us. You know what I'm saying. Awesome?
Speaker 3: Awesome, And where can some people reach you to talk about this kind of stuff. We're just get in contact with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just hit me up my Facebook page pit Bull, it says Gary Wolf, and you'll see me standing there. Also, I have an email pit Bull lowercase GW six seven GW gmail dot com. Like I said, you guys are looking for a good read Amazon Walmart, you name it, Barnes and Noble. Everybody's got my book out, Go get the book. I'm trying to get number one. I'm a number six right now out of wrestling books. I want to get to be number one. So let's get that and I'm going to make that happen. I'm still doing signings. I'm still doing wrestling in the ring. Any promoters need to get in touch with me, they can go through you. You can contact me, brother, I have no problem with that.
Speaker 3: Whatever goes to so o yeah, man, greatly appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Scully. Do you have any recommendations for this week?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's all right, I'll cover for you.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: So I tried something interesting this week, something I never thought I would try. Kangaroo steak. If anybody can get out there and get your hands on some give it a try.
Speaker 4: It's not bad, mister Wolf. Have you ever tried any No?
Speaker 2: I did a Buffalo Burgers in California and they were amazing. Yeah, I never did kangaroo. Some Owens took me out in Japan, me and my partner our first tour, and they ribbed us. I'll tell you a little quick story. They ribbed us and said we're gonna buy steaks and we're like, oh cool, you know. So you know, we eat like two each and next thing, you know, we started feeling funny. We're like, man, I don't feel right, you know, and he's like, well, yah, and enough horse tonight for like two weeks. And I was like what. He's like, yeah, you ate horse. I was like, oh my god, I got sick and throw up man, because I felt like I was going to pug anyway. So they got me good on that, me and my partner.
Speaker 4: So that's pretty odd.
Speaker 2: I don't advise that. I don't advise that.
Speaker 1: I did eat some that was nice yesterday actually, which I've never had. And it was called a two in one pie, okay, So it was like in a big pot like this. We had it at like a pub restaurant near me, and it was eighteen pounds for a large one. It's just like that. And it was half and half in the pot, so half of it I had steak and kidney in there and this half was cauliflower and cheese, and then on the top of here it had a bit of pastry and it was really nice. The only sad thing is it would have been better if I had pastry around the side as well.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that was good to be good, sounds good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's nice. I know I was very full up after having a couple of siders with it as well.
Speaker 3: Of course that's about But all right, so Scully, where can the people reach you?
Speaker 2: Men?
Speaker 1: Well, wherever they want on X which I don't really go on anymore. I'm on their Mike riscally eighty six, and I'm also on TikTok as you know, I do silly videos MAV and yeah, that's about it really, and I think we're going to make a Vessel Magic channel, aren't.
Speaker 4: We looking to at some point?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'd like to make a YouTube channel and a TikTok if we can soon. But yeah, enough about that for the moment. You guys know where to reach me at maintenance MAV on Twitter. Like I always say before signing off, do some nice for somebody. Never know who needs it out there, somebody always.
Speaker 2: Always be humble, guys always.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, definitely definitely. But yeah, no, where's are my friend Memphis Mark?
Speaker 2: We're out.
Speaker 6: Thanks for listening to the WWE podcast. Don't forget to subscribe on your favorite podcast app so you don't miss a show, or head to wwepodcast dot com and for all of these shows add free head over to Patreon dot com slash WWE podcast. Until then, we'll see you next time.