Speaker 1: In September of twenty fifteen, the quiet Mountain communities of Blairmore and Coleman in Alberta, Canada were shaken by a series of violent crimes that unfolded over the course of less than a week. It began with the murder of a sixty nine year old woman living alone, followed days later by the killing of a young father in the disappearance of his two year old daughter. What started as separate investigations quickly merged into one of the most disturbing criminal cases the area had ever seen, and as police searched for a missing child under a multi province hamber alert, they soon also uncovered tips and evidence that pointed to a perpetrator within the very family of those who called in the tips. This is a story of murder and abduction. This is the story of the monster known as Derek Sureski.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast. Warning.
Speaker 1: The following material intend more matual audience listener discretion.
Speaker 2: It was our Honey's Gotcha Day this week.
Speaker 1: It was If you don't know what a gotcha day.
Speaker 2: Is, We're going to tell you three years of basically having Honey in our life officially from adoption.
Speaker 1: And Honey is our dog for the record, one of our dogs. So yeah, the gotcha day is like the anniversary of when we officially adopted, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't actually know her birthday per se, So yeah, we just celebrate her gotcha day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, three years with a little honey bunny.
Speaker 2: Be oh, and this is the longest she's ever been with a home because previously she had been with one for a year and then another one with two years. So I think it's a big one because it marks like the longest the longest time, and it's just going to carry on, hun because we're not getting rid of you, that's true.
Speaker 1: And I also actually managed to celebrate that day by getting a tattoo of a honeybee or honey. I also got a couple other tattoos and related to other animals we have ripley, I always color my sweetheart, so I got like one of those little like candy super cute candy like hearts that's his sweetheart on it. And then so yeah, I got some other tattoos too, but yeah, those are the ones that I think pertained to this conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is pretty cool way to celebrate a dog's gotcha day? It is.
Speaker 1: I didn't, honestly, it was an accident that had just happened. I booked the pointment.
Speaker 2: I pointed it out to you.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, you were like you realized that's her, And I was like, oh, well, I'm getting a tattoo for her on her gotcha day.
Speaker 2: I guess yeah. I made her homemade dog cookies. But doesn't seem as cool as getting a tattooed now, but that's what I do.
Speaker 1: Either way, We're happy that she's on her life. And if you guys are ever able, we highly recommend adopting an animal from a shelter. They are highly in need and if you can ever help them, we definitely havevocate for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was our We have had adopted cats previously, but this was our first adopted dog. Previously, we had gotten our other two as puppies, so it's quite different.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 2: It's kind of it's really a nice feeling actually to give them this new life.
Speaker 1: It's really nice. But also something else that's really nice is the Olympic ceremonies are starting today. Yes, opening ceremony the Olympics are officially starting over in Italy, So good luck to all the participants, whatever country you're involved in. I hope it's going to be a good games. I'm really looking forward to, of course hockey. I mean we're hockey people in Canadians, so that just kind of goes without saying, and yeah, it's going.
Speaker 3: To be good.
Speaker 2: Well, what a big deal for all those athletes that made the freaking Olympics, even if they think their performance isn't like their best or something, right, I think I know someone already got injured just in their prelim stuff, which sucks, but they still were that good that they freaking made the Olympics, which that's.
Speaker 1: Cool, bonkers. So I want to just dedicate this drink to all the Olympians who are out there doing their best representing their country. Even if you unfortunately, hey don't get to go far, you get injured, whatever, you still made it to the Olympics. And that's one hell of a big deal. So I'm raising the glass to you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cheers to them. I'm looking forward to watching this.
Speaker 1: It's going to be really good. But we do have an interesting case today, Oh yeah, we do. And an interesting scenario because you usually don't know much about the cases, if anything at all, But this case, you watched the documentary and you recommended it, so you know a lot about this case as well.
Speaker 2: Well, this might happen a little bit more now that I'm kind of taking a bit more of a role in Wicked and Grim and helping fine cases and stuff, right, well, the back end of Wicked and Grim, I should say. So, I've been indulging in some true crime cases to kind of for recommendations. And this is a frickin' gooder.
Speaker 1: It's a doozy. It's bad though, So and I do want to say, I mean, we gave enough trigger warnings in the intro. Just take the intro to heart when it comes to any sort of trigger warnings for today.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Now, I'll let you know that. But if you're ready, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a case that needs to be heard, so let's do it.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: In the late summer of twenty fifteen, the Crow's Nest Pass felt much the same as it always had. September in southwestern Alberta, Canada usually arrives quietly the heat of August. Here, well, it faded mornings were starting to be cooler, and people started to pull the light jackets out from the back of their closets again. And the mountains that surrounded the town, like Blairmore and Coleman, they were still green, but hints of autumn were beginning to show with some pops of yellow in the trees. Nights also came a little earlier in the air well it felt sharper. It had that familiar autumn scent that was beginning to linger just a bit in the mornings. Winter was still a ways away, and everyone who lived there knew it was coming, though, but life in the past it still moved at a casual pace. Most people knew their neighbors and recognized each other's vehicles. They ran into the same faces at the grocery store, in the gas station and local restaurants. News here had a habit of traveling very quickly, usually through conversations rather than headlines. For families, routines were simple and very predictable. Parents worked their shifts and kids were settling back into daycare or preschool. Evenings were spent cooking dinner, watching television, or walking dogs before dark. Weekends this time of year meant people were getting ready for things like hunting season, and still enjoying backyard barbecues and drives through the mountains. It was the kind of place where nothing much seemed to change from one week to the next. In blairmore small rental homes and modest houses lined quiet streets, and in Coleman, older trailers and cottages sat closer together, many of them owned by people who had lived there for decades. These weren't towns were people expected surprises. Serious crimes were extremely rare, and most problems were handled with a simple phone call or a conversation, or even a knock on the neighbor's door. By early September, children were getting into their new school schedules, parents were adjusting their routines, and summer vacation was officially over. Life was settling back into that familiar rhythm. No one knew that within days that rhythm would be shattered, that police car search teams and national news media crews would soon be filling their streets. At the time, it was just another quiet stretch of late summer in the small Canadian community where people went to work, took care of their families, and assumed tomorrow would look a lot like it did today. It was the evening of September ninth, twenty fifteen. Not The small town of Coleman, Alberta, was quiet in a way it usually was. With a population of only a few hundred people, most residents knew each other by name. Hannah Mattek lived in Coleman for years. She was sixty nine years old and well known in the community. Originally from Copenhagen, she had built a quiet life in southern Alberta, and she was known for being independent, strong willed, and involved in local activities. She worked at a thrift store, helped others when she could, and she earned a reputation as someone who didn't shy away from speaking her mind. Friends and neighbors described her as kind but also tough, especially when she felt that she was being treated unfairly. But essentially, what they're saying is she's the kind of person we all hope to be when we start growing a little older.
Speaker 2: Right, There's nothing wrong with sticking up for yourself exactly.
Speaker 1: She's strong willed, tough minded, and she ain't going to take no shit from nobody.
Speaker 2: Sort of thing which I respect.
Speaker 1: I like that now. On that night of September ninth, Hannah was at home in her trailer preparing for bed. Sometime late that night, someone broke into her home. Investigators would later determine that the door had been forced open. The doorframe had shown clear signs of damage, suggesting that the person whoever entered did so forcefully rather than by invitation, and once inside, the person confronted Hannah in her bedroom and attacked. According to the medical examiner's findings, Hannah suffered multiple blunt force injuries to her head. Investigators believed that she had likely been struck with a heavy object, possibly a baseball bat, and in addition to her head injuries, she was stabbed twice in the neck and had superficial cuts across her throat. There was also defensive wounds present on her hands and arms, which indicated that she tried to fight back against whoever this was that it entered her home. Blood was all throughout the layout of her home and of the scene. It suggested a very vicious struggle rather than a quick and controlled attack. Nothing of value appeared to be taken. There were no signs of theft, no indication that robbery had been a motive. Nothing like that. Some time later, after the attack, a neighbor noticed that something was wrong. On the morning of September tenth. The neighbor saw that the door to Hannah's trailer was left open, which was unusual, so concerned that something might be wrong, they contacted police, and when officers arrived and entered the home, they discovered Hannah's body inside, along with the horrific bloody scene. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police or the RCMP, secured the area and forensic teams were quickly called in. They documented the damage to the door, the blood pattern inside the trailer, and the position of Hannah's body. The sheer brutality of the assault alone stood out immediately. Even the experienced officers on scene had a little trouble with this despite it, Although their efforts everything, they couldn't do much. There was no obvious suspect. It didn't lead anywhere right away. Hannah had lived alone, she had known enemies. There was no clear personal dispute that explained what had happened.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Her ex husband and another individual who had recently been released from custody, were briefly considered as possible persons of interest, but both were eventually ruled out. At the time, police had a little to work with beyond the physical evidence that was left behind. There were no public reports of suspicious vehicles in the area, no witnesses that came forward with information about seeing someone enter or leave her home, and no clear motive that had been identified. So without a suspect or a clear direction, investigators focused on processing the crime scene and collecting every possible detail and preserving what they could so that it might be used later when they do find a suspect. In the days that followed, officers continued working the case quietly, but no one knew yet that this would be only the first part of something much larger. At this point, Hannah's murderer stood alone, but within five days that would change.
Speaker 2: I didn't know too much about Hannah's murder, but I just have to say that I feel like murders in small communities, really small towns, just hit so much harder than in bigger cities. Like I've lived in quite a few small towns growing up, and yeah, something like this happening when everyone knows each other. I don't know, it just hits so much different.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like hitting within a community rather than like a large city. Large cities don't get me wrong, it's just as tragic when someone passes away and gets murdered. But it's so much easier to overlook.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so much easier.
Speaker 3: You probably didn't know the person kind of thing, yeah, or just assume you know they you know what, they got themselves in a bad situation, like all those things that you can shrug off.
Speaker 2: But in a.
Speaker 1: Community like this, it's your neighbor, it's your your cousin's friend, or someone you went fishing with last.
Speaker 2: Year, or the lady that works at the thrift store.
Speaker 1: Those sort of things, so it becomes much more personal and close to home. And you're right, it hits so much harder, so much harder.
Speaker 2: Well, and even a bit more scary, I suppose to, because the suspect pool, you know, is a little bit less, so it's like who did this? Yeah? Now.
Speaker 1: In the early morning hours of Monday, September fourteenth, twenty fifteen, the town of Blairmore was quiet, in the way it usually was at that time of day. There was a little movement in the community, and anything unusual tended to kind of stand out. It was some time between three and three thirty AM when several neighbors living near Terry Blenchett's home were awakened by an unfamiliar sound. One resident later told police that he heard what sounded like metal being struck or kicked, possibly sheets of roofing material that had been stacked nearby. Others reported hearing noise coming from the alley behind the houses, and when some of them looked outside, they noticed a white commercial style van parked.
Speaker 2: In the area.
Speaker 1: One neighbor even said that it was sitting in the driveway of an elderly resident who didn't drive, which made the presence of it just a little more unusual. And remember, Blairmore is a small town here, people were accustomed to seeing familiar vehicles. This one, on the other hand, it stood out much more. But as much as it was odd, the sound that followed, well, it was even more so. At least one neighbor reported hearing what sounded like a child crying or maybe whimpering. The noise was faint but noticeable in the stillness of the early morning. Some witnesses believe they may have heard an adult voice as well, possibly trying to calm the child, though no one could be certain now at the time that this was actually happening, there was no clear reason to be believe that a serious crime was taking place. Blairmore was considered a very safe community. Strange noises could be explained by many ordinary situations. You know, someone leaving for work, early vehicle problems, or maybe a late night delivery. Who knows. This is a plethora of different things, and without any obvious signs of danger or concern, people simply just went back to sleep. Some witnesses did say they saw the van leave the area, though several later told police that it drove away quickly heading west. One neighbor noticed that the vehicle had an unusual antenna described as a buggy whip style antenna on the back of the van with a blue tip. At approximately three point thirty one am, surveillance footage from the Best Canadian Motor Inn captured a white van traveling westbound on twentieth Avenue two. The vehicle it matched the general description given by witnesses. An additional footage from a gas station in the town of Coleman had also recorded a similar van days earlier, near the time of Hannah's murder. Later on that same morning, William Blanchett was driving through the Crow's Nest pass on his way from Elkford, British Columbia, to Calgary, Alberta, where he was planning to have some work done in his vehicle. As he passed through Blairmore, he decided to stop and visit his son and granddaughter. Now, William had often helped care for his granddaughter Haley while his son, Terry was at work, and the two stayed in very close contact. When William arrived at Terry's home, he saw his son's car parked in the driveway, which made him assume that Terry and Haley were, of course inside, so he walked up to the front door and he knocked, expecting to be let in, but there was no answer. He sent Terry a text message to let him know he was there, and after waiting briefly and not receiving any reply, he assumed that he might have just stepped out and decided to continue on his way. So William drove to the neighboring community of frank to get some fuel. While at the gas station, though he tried to call Terry several times, but each call went straight to voicemail. Now this began to worry him. Terry was usually quick to answer or return some calls, and, combined with the unusual unanswered, knocked the door with his car in the driveway in the lack of response. All of this just made William uneasy, and he decided to return to the house to check again. When he drove back to Terry's home, he noticed that the front door was left unlocked. Now, Terry often left it that way. That was nothing unusual, even just when leaving briefly sort of thing right. And the unlocked door, now, though, it added a little bit of a more another layer to this. If he were to just, you know what, have an unlocked door, that's one thing. But he's not answering the door. He's not answering calls, and there's an unlocked door. Things started to not feel right every time something else popped up. He opened the door and went inside and immediately noticed how quiet the house was. Now with a two year old living there, the home was rarely completely silent. He called out Terry, and then he called out to Haley, but there was no one that responded. As he walked through the main floor, William began to notice some things. He saw Terry's comforter lying on the floor, between the bedroom and the bathroom, and he noticed what appeared to be blood on parts of the kitchen floor and nearby surfaces. There were signs that something had clearly happened, although he did not yet understand what he was seeing. With each step through the house, his concern grew more and more. He continued towards the bathroom, which was dark, and when he turned on the light, that's when he saw his son lying on the floor between the toilet and the vanity. Terry's body was partially wrapped in a blood soaked blanket, and there was blood on the floor and surrounding area. It was obvious right away that Terry had suffered a serious head injury, but worse of as William stared down at him, he saw that his son's throat had been cut.
Speaker 2: I forgot that the dad found him.
Speaker 1: He rushed to Terry's side and tried to lift him, hoping that there might be still a chance that he's alived, But as soon as he made contact with his son's skin, Terry was cold. He was already dead. William was devastated, but he immediately began searching for his granddaughter Haley. He ran upstairs frantically calling her name as he moved through the house, and when he reached her bedroom, that's when he found that her crib was empty. The bedding, blankets, pillows, and toys were usually inside, but they were missing too, and he also noticed blood on the bedroom door and on one of her dolls, as well as bloody footprints on the stairs and parts of the floor. In that instant, it was clear to William that Haley had been taken. At approximately eleven ti twelve am, William dialed nine one one and reported what he had found.
Speaker 2: This scene would just be not okay for like a parent, parents aren't supposed to lose their children. So I just can't even imagine him going into this, this just complete crime scene and finding his son dead and his granddaughter missing, Like holy shit, it just freakin' rips my heart out.
Speaker 1: It's gut wrenching. Yeah, And honestly, it's beyond a crime scene, Like this is a murder scene.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, brutal one, Yeah, no, it would have been. You know, no one should, like even investigators, gosh, having to go into these houses and their lives are never going to be the same after seeing all the shit.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Emergency responders and RCNP officers were sent to the house immediately, and when they arrived, officers saw all the blood smears throughout the home, beginning in the bedroom and continuing into the bathroom. Drag marks were also on the floor that showed that Terry had been attacked in his bed and then pulled through the house. Investigators also documented the blood evidence in Haley's room, including stains on her crib, personal belongings, all which suggested that whoever had taken her had blood on their hands and clothing at the time, which means it was the same person who had killed Terry. Within hours, the house was declared a major crime scene and RCMP Major Crimes Unit investigators based in Calgary were contacted and dispatched to Blairmore. By the afternoon, police began canvassing nearby homes, speaking with neighbors and checking whether anyone had seen Haley that morning. Officers were going door to door asking if anyone heard unusual noises or anything that had happened overnight seen suspicious activity. They also checked with friends, family members, and child care contacts to rule out the possibility that Hayley had been picked up by someone that she knew now. At the same time, officers worked to contact information for Haley's mother, Cheyenne Dunbar, who was living in Edmonton at the time. Investigators soon learned that Cheyenne had not been seen or spoken to Terry or Haley that morning and had no idea that anything was wrong. She was, of course shattered to learn that her daughter was missing and that Terry had been killed. She was heartbroken, but she also immediately began cooperating with investigators and provided any information that she could about the custody agreement that she and Terry had. There was recent communications maybe you know what, maybe whatever, who might have access to Terry's home, things like that she's trying to share, and as evidence continued to be reviewed, police focused on narrowing down the likely time frame of the abduction. Based on witness statements and early findings, They determined that Haley had most likely been taken from the home at approximately three point thirty am, which meant that she'd be missing for several hours before Terry's body had even been discovered, which greatly increased concern for her safety. By two fourteen PM, an Amber alert was issued across the province of Alberta. The alert included a description of Haley, including her age and the fact that she'd been abducted from her home. The Amber Alert also asked the public to report any sightings immediately and warned and also warned them that she might be in danger now. Given Blair Moore's location near the British Columbia border and its proximity to major highways leading south, police feared that whoever had taken Haley could attempt to flee the area, and an hour later, at three point fifteen pm, the Amber Alert was expanded into British Columbia, Saskatchewan, and the United State of Montana. Since Haley was abducted during the night, police were faced with a possibility that she could be already hundreds of kilometers away, so URCMP officers worked urgently to piece anything they could together, any information that might indicate how she been taken, where she might be taken and now. Witness statements collected earlier from the day had neighbors mentioning that they saw that white van in the area, those noises during the early mornings, those sort of things, and investigators reviewed these accounts carefully and started comparing them to each other in order to determine whatever they were describing to see if it was the same vehicle in the same incident, and it seemed very much so like they were. They saw a white commercial style van leaving the area at around three thirty am at a high rate of speed, with a large antenna on the back with something blue on the end. Although no one had managed to record a license plate number, the consistency of the details suggested everything was connected. Based on this information, RCMP updated the Amber alert to include a description of the suspected vehicle and the public was asked to watch out for it and report any sightings immediately. Investigators also began reviewing available surveillance footage from businesses and hotels in the area. This is, of course, when they found the CCTV footage showing the white van traveling westbound at approximately three thins one on the morning of the abduction, as well as the one recorded earlier in the day that also showed a similar van in the area around the time of Hanna's murder. Although this connection was not publicly discussed at the time, it was noted by investigators and was added to the growing file of evidence. Now, as the Amber alert spread, tips began to pour in. RCMP dispatch centers received calls from people who thought they had seen similar vehicles on highways and parking lots and at rest stops, and of course all of them had to be checked out. Search teams were also deployed throughout the region. Officers, volunteers, search and rescue personnel checked wooded areas, rural roads, abandoned buildings and campsites. Helicopters and areily units had been up in the air to scan remote terrain in what would have been very difficult areas to access on foot. The rugged geography of the Crow's Nest Pass made the search especially challenging, as large areas of forest and mountain trains surrounded the communities now. Meanwhile, anxiety continued to grow amongst the residents. Parents kept their children indoors. Schools and businesses began discussing safety measures, and many people followed news updates very closely throughout the day and the night.
Speaker 2: I hadn't thought about this before, but it just dawned on me. Being in a small community too, there would be or you know, places that just have more wilderness and stuff. There would be less footage like camera footage, Yeah, capturing things.
Speaker 1: Hey, definitely one gosh.
Speaker 2: Which would make it just so much harder. Hmm okay.
Speaker 1: Now, social media also became flooded with posts sharing Haley's photo and details of the Amber alert too. This is a place, like you kind of said, it's small town, right, so people talk more than like there is news. Really words spreads fast personally in conversations on social media, that sort of thing, And that's what's happening here. People are trying to figure this out, spreading any information they could and helping in any way they can. Now in Blairmore, there was one business that would stand out amongst this case. It was called Prestige Cleaners. It was a family owned dry cleaning business that had operated in the community for decades, and they owned several white commercial vans that were used for deliveries. Now, these vehicles actually matched the description provided by witnesses, including the distinctive antenna mounted on the back. The business was owned by brothers Kevin and Larry Siretsky, who had taken over operations from their parents after years of working in the family company. Now, as news of the Amber alerts spread through the town, Kevin and Larry heard descriptions of the van police were looking for, and so they went to take a look at the ones that they owned, and that's when they realized that one of their company vehicles fit the profile almost exactly. This realization prompted them to check their fleet records and inspect the vehicles a little more closely. And when they reviewed their logs, they noticed something troubling. One of the vans had been used for deliveries on September eleventh, twenty fifteen, and it so dominant reading had been recorded at that time and was standard practice for the business. When they checked the same van after hearing about the abduction, though, the odometer showed additional kilometers that could not be explained by any authorized use. Now, the Shiretzki family were very much so aware that Larry Siretzky's son Derek had a history of using company vehicles without authorization.
Speaker 2: Good for them, though, I just have to say for going and checking and note because and they're still trying to figuring this out, knowing that they're going to.
Speaker 1: Know like who is involved, Yes, for sure.
Speaker 2: So I feel like some business owners would maybe just keep it to themselves potentially, So this is good now.
Speaker 1: Derek was twenty two years old at the time. He had worked at Prestige Cleaners for a period but had recently quit. Family members knew that he still had access to the building and was familiar with the vehicles, so concerned about what all this could mean, both Kevin and Larry contacted the RCMP and informed them about the missing van and the unexpected mileage. They also gave investigators permission to seize and examine the vehicle as part of the investigation, and, as it would turn out, their cooperation provided police with their first solid physical lead.
Speaker 2: Good job Now.
Speaker 1: When RCMP forensic teams examined the van using luminol, a chemical that reacts with blood and glows under UV light, investigators detected multiple bloodstains throughout the interior. Blood was found on the steering wheel, door handles, window cranks, light switches, floor surfaces, and inside the cargo area. A large smear on the floor even contained two bare footprints, suggesting that someone had stepped in blood inside the vehicle. Investigators also noticed the floor mats from the rear section of the van were missing too.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: At the same time, while this was all happening, Derek's dad, Larry Suretsky, began noticing changes in his son's behavior. Derek seemed nervous, withdrawn and unwilling to really explain anything, and during a conversation about the missing child and the ongoing investigation, Derek even made a statement that immediately alarmed his father. He told Larry that Haley was quote in heaven.
Speaker 2: End quote oh shit.
Speaker 1: When pressed for clarification on this, Derek became incoherent and began speaking in ways that made little sense. His responses shifted between vague statements to gibberish, and he didn't offer any clear explanation for even what he meant by that. Larry was growing increasingly concerned, and he contacted police again and told them that his son had said something disturbing and he needed to be questioned.
Speaker 2: This right, there is a reason just like to not have kids, in my opinion, because I don't know if I would be able to deal with that.
Speaker 1: That's it's definitely, I mean, that's gonna be so rare.
Speaker 2: It's a rarity, for sure, but still but.
Speaker 1: Even still mean that could be a sibling or an uncle or an aunt, or parents who commit a murder just as easily as it is your own child, I.
Speaker 2: Guess, but I just think I would. I don't know. I would just be like, I'm out, I'm done.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, I can't blame you for that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: By the time investigators finished processing the van, they began focusing their attention directly on Derek. By this point, police even had enough information to actually justify searching his living spaces and examining his personal belongings a lot more closely. Derek lived in an apartment in Blairmore, located next to the dry cleaning business. Officers quickly obtained a search warrant and entered the residence for any sign of the missing child or evidence that might explain her disappearance. From the moment they began searching, it became clear that the apartment contained potential evidence. Investigators noticed what appeared to be blood on the inside doorknob of the front entrance, as well as droplets on the floor or leading into the living room. Additional stains were found on walls and nearby staircases leading to the second floor. In the upstairs bathroom, police located blood on a cupboard and nearby surfaces. During the search, officers also discovered latex gloves that appeared to have blood stains, along with a pair of boots that were found to have containing human blood on them too. Several tools and weapons were also located in the apartment, including a hatchet, box cutters, and multiple knives. Police also found books related to cannibalism, serial killers, medical anatomy, and violent crime, which were noted and cataloged as part of the investigation.
Speaker 2: He really went out of his way to clean up any evidence, inn't he Not really, No, I'm kidding.
Speaker 1: It seems like he did try and clean, but it was sloppy cleaning, Like the inside of the van, there was no obvious signs of blood. It was like you had to use the luminol on that sort of thing. And I think there's a good chance that investigators had caught up with him far before he had a chance to continue cleaning. Is possibly a way of looking at it, that's true, But either way, there was a lot of evidence left behind.
Speaker 2: I kind of hope one day, I don't know, this is so morbid, so I apologize, but it would be very interesting to have the opportunity to use that spray lumino. Yeah, because you just see that on documentaries and stuff, and it just like I just imagine the anticipation of like spraying it and wondering what you're gonna find, and then all of a sudden it just fucking lights up, right like that would.
Speaker 1: Just I don't know, I'd be scary.
Speaker 2: It would be scary, but it's kind of interesting in the same sense for sure. Now.
Speaker 1: Some handwritten materials in the apartment also provided additional insight into derek state of mind too. Investigators recovered a notebook containing a list that include names such as Hannah, Terry, Shy, and the Hideous Baby, along with phrases such as sleepers for the dogs and medicine Fresh. Of these entries were crossed out. Names of deceased like Terry were crossed out, but so were Quote, the Hideous Baby, and Shy. Now Shy likely refers to Cheyenne, who was very much so alive and was Haley's mother, But as for the rest, well, let's just keep talking.
Speaker 2: That's so alarming.
Speaker 1: A calendar was found with handwritten notes including phrases such as set me free and strength written across several dates in early weeks of September twenty fifteen on a coffee table inside the apartment, police found graffiti scrawled across it that read one shot, one kill and this is not the end. Death is only the beginning.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Investigators searched here, and they also searched the home of Derek's mother in Coleman. This is where he sometimes stayed, and in his room they located two hammers, a baseball bat, and rolled up mats that appeared to be similar to the ones in the missing floormats for the van. Needless to say, evidence was mounting fast, and as police continued gathering physical evidence, they also paid close attention to Derek's behavior along the way. Family members described him as quiet and withdrawn, someone who largely kept to himself. He also had a history of minor criminal charges, though including breaking and entering in possession of stolen property, and he was unemployed at the time of the murders. He seemed to be a young man who was struggling to find his stability in his life, and by the end of September fifteenth, it was obvious to investigators that they were no longer dealing with circumstantial concerns or vague suspicions. Even so, Haley, the most important piece of the puzzle while she currently had still not been found. Now, while investigators were processing all the evidence and building the case and searching for Haley, an unexpected development was unfolding. A new lead came in from another member of Derek's family who had noticed something disturbing on some private property. It was on September fifteenth when Shane Suretsky, Derrek's cousin, returned to a family owned ranch property near the Crow's Nest passed after being away for several days. The property had been used by members of the Suretzky family for camping, hunting, and recreational purposes for years. It was remote, surrounded by trees and very rugged terrain, and rarely visited by anyone outside the family. When Shane arrived at the site, he noticed something that almost immediately struck him as wrong. Near one of the campsites, a fire pit appeared to have been recently used, which was unusual. There was no one who was supposed to have been there staying at the ranch at that time. The fire pit even still contained warm ashes and freshly burnt debris, suggesting the fire had been burning there not long before he had arrived, and as he looked closer that the remains of the fire, Shane noticed something in the ashes, something that didn't resemble ordinary treeh being burned or would. Amongst the burnt material, he saw what appeared to be small bones and pieces of fabric. Given the ongoing search for Haley in the widespread media coverage, Shane immediately thought about the possibility of what that fire pit could contain, and rather than disturbing anything, he immediately contacted authorities. RCMP officers were dispatched to the ranch and arrived shortly after receiving the call. Now, while all this was going down, Derek was being held for questioning in relation to Terry's death and Hailey's disappearance. By this point, police had already gathered substantial physical evidence linking him to the case, but they still needed to establish exactly what had happened.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: During interviews with RCMP investigators, Derek initially well. He stated things that were inconsistent and very difficult to follow. He gave vague answers, changed deep tails repeatedly, and sometimes spoken ways that didn't seem connect did to the questions he was even being asked. At times, he claimed that he'd been influenced by voices or supernatural forces. In other moments, he suggested that he had acted under the control of the devil. It was very clear that Derek was suffering from some sort of mental struggles, but investigators worked carefully with him and the questioning continued. Now, Derek gradually began to break down and in tears. At one point, with an investigator kneeling in front of him encouraging him to speak, he acknowledged his involvement in the crimes. He admitted that he entered Terry Blanchette's home during the night of September fourteenth, using forced entry to gain access. According to his statements, he attacked Terry with a blunt object later identified as a crowbar, and then he proceeded to slit his throat. After killing Terry, he abducted Hailey from the home and placed her in the white van belonging to Prestige Cleaners. Derek told investigators that he drove Hailey to the family owned ranch property in the Crow's Nest pass. He described taking her to a campsite that he was familiar with from previous visits. But the thing is he didn't just tell them. Investigators asked him to lead them to the site, and he did exactly that. They arrived at the property where police were already beginning to investigate the scene from the tip off from Derek's cousin. There, he walked them through the property and stopped next to the fire pit, looking at the smoldering embers. He said there he had built a fire and next admitted to killing Haley by strangling her to death. Afterwards, he said he dismembered her body there by the fire, collected her blood in a plastic container, and burned her remains, And there he stood next to the flames as they were burning Haley's body, and Derek admitted to drinking her blood in order to gain a little bit of her energy. He also explained that he had returned to his apartment after the crimes and attempted to clean himself up as well as his belongings. As part of his confession, Derek also described the weapons he had used, and throughout the whole time, Derek appeared detached and unemotional. At other times he became very agitated or spoke in those religious or symbolic type languages, speaking just talking about God and the devil and being controlled in what they were doing. It wasn't him, it was them, and investigators documented these changes very carefully, very aware that his mental state would certainly become a very important issue in court proceedings. By the end of the interviews, police had obtained a detailed account of how Derek had moved from Terry's home to the ranch property, and what he had done at each location, and how he had attempted to cover up his actions.
Speaker 2: Oh, it takes her breath away. It's like a gut punch what he did to that sweet, sweet little baby.
Speaker 1: It's disgusting in so many ways. Yeah, I can't believe. And then he sat there as she's burning, drinking her blood. That makes me want to fucking throw up.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: I say this almost every episode. It doesn't seem like that could be true. How on earth could someone actually fucking do that.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna quote you directly. I can't even fathom this, or can't even fathom someone doing that. Yeah, the word fathom.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It just brings tears to my eyes. That someone is just that, Like we live among people that pure evil.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't get me wrong, Derek's responsible. Derek did this, but clearly he's suffering in certain ways on his own. That too, on its own, is scary as shit.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that whatever is going on there killed a little innocent baby, well two years old, still pretty much a baby. And the dad, Yeah, like, what the actual shit is happening in this scut.
Speaker 1: It's beyond fucked now. The investigator secured the entire property, of course, when he was arrived in telling them and showing this by the fire police were already there securing the property, and they began a careful examination of the fire pit and surrounding campsite. Forensic specialists were brought in to collect any potential evidence and documented the scene in details. And as investigators sifted through the ashes, which were still warm, one investigator reportedly even burning his hand collecting pieces out of the fire, their fears were confirmed. They recovered several bone fragments that appeared to be from a child. They recovered pieces of burned clothing and other materials that suggested human remains had been present in the fire. Forensic teams worked for hours to collect every fragment that they could teeth, rib bones, femurs, broken pieces. They recovered everything. Now, police still hadn't made a public announcement about the discovery. They first needed to confirm the identity of the remains through forensic testing and notify Hailey's family before releasing any information. However, unfortunately DNA testing was not available through these bones, they were burnt far too much and they could not confirm the identity of Haley. However, through the confession through Derek leading them there, they were able to confidently say that it was in fact her.
Speaker 2: Gosh, it must have just been like a roaring fire.
Speaker 1: Hey, it would have been large, yes, But as it sat right now, as far as the public knew, there was the possibility still that Haley was alive, but it was looking grim. More than twenty four hours had passed and many people were beginning to fear that Haley would not be found alive. That didn't mean that they didn't hold out for any hope. Hundreds of residents gathered that night for a candlelight vigil, hoping for good news and showing support for the family. The vigil took place in Baltimore, not far from Terry Blanchett's home. Community members brought candles, flowers, and handwritten messages. Parents stood with their children, neighbors stood with neighbors and strangers comforted one another. Shortly after nine pm, RCMP Victims Services representatives arrived at the vigil looking for Haley's mother. It was there that they informed her and Hailey's family that they had located her remains earlier that day at her rural property near Blairmore words spread quietly through the crowd, and within minutes almost everyone was in tears.
Speaker 2: Gosh, what a terrible announcement to have to make it her vigil, I know, right, heartbreaks. I mean, there would probably be no time, no good time to ever have to make that announcement. But still, that just seems like it is a frickin' hammer across your face. Really, Like that's terrible.
Speaker 1: Well, what do you do? Do you do it at the vigil? Do it after the vigil? Do you do it when they're quietly sitting at home, like trying to go to bed. Do you do it in the morning when they've likely not slept all night and they're probably contacting more people or looking or doing things, putting up posters, missing posters.
Speaker 2: When I mean, they would have had like a lot of support at that time, right for sure?
Speaker 1: And you're right, like, when is the good time. So yeah, it's hard work, but I mean they're there to do it, and I'm glad that there are, you know le those people to do that job, because it's not going to be an easy one, no now. Later that same evening, RCMP Superintendent Tony Hamori held immediate briefing to confirm what they had already feared. At apparent approximately ten pm, he announced the body of two year old Haley Dunbarblench had been found in a rural location near Blairmore. He explained that the discovery had been made during a police search based on information obtained through the investigation, that the scene had been secured and forensic teams were processing the area. He also confirmed that the public was no longer being asked to look for a white van and that the Amber alert had officially been called off. At the same time, he made it very clear that many details would not be released immediately, as the investigation was still ongoing and charges had not yet been finalized. At that point. He did say a male suspect who had been arrested earlier in the day remained in police custody and was being questioned. He said his identity would be made public Once those formal charges were officially laid, and for Haley's mother, Cheyenne Dunbar, and for Terry's family, the announcement marked the end of any remaining hope that she would be returned safely. Within hours, messages of sympathy began appearing online and in local memorials. Flowers and stuffed animals were placed near Terry's home and in public spaces throughout the region. On September sixteenth, twenty fifteen, RCMP formally charged Derek Seretsky with two counts of first degree murder in the death of Terry Blanchette and Haley Dunbar Blanchett. Police stated that they believed the murders had been planned, and his identity was released to public for the first time, ending days of speculation. Now, while Derek had provided a general account of what he claimed had happened, police could not rely on his statements alone. Every detail needed to be verified independently, and forensic teams conducted an extensive examination of everything they could. They found that the blood found in the home, the van on tools, and items in Derek's home were consistent with both Terry and Haley's DNA. Scientific evidence removed any doubt that the crimes were connected and committed by the same person. Now, while all of this had come to lights, another question began to be asked. Five days before Terry was murdered and Haley was kidnapped and murdered, a sixty nine year old woman named Hannah MacTech had been found dead in her home in Coleman and nearby community in the Crow's Nest past. At the time, her death had been treated as a separate case with no obvious connection to anyone or anything, But now the question was could Derek be responsible for this as well? Now, Hannah lived alone and was known in the community as quiet and an independent woman. But she had strong personality and according to people who knew her, she was not easily intimidated, and on the morning of September ninth, twenty fifteen, she was found dead in her home after neighbors became concerned and contacted police. Officers who responded discovered that she had been violently attacked, and an autopsy later revealed that Hannah had suffered five blunt force injuries to the head and two stab wounds to the neck and superficial cutzecaw across her throat. Now, the combination of blunt force and sharp force injuries immediately suggested the attack had been personal or very intense at the very least, and at first police had few solid leads when this occurred. However, when Terry was found murdered and Hailey disappeared on September fourteenth, resources were immediately redirected because finding a missing child while it became top priority, and so Hannah's murder investigation was put on hold. But after Derek was arrested and her remains were discovered, while the team returned to Hannah's case with a fresh perspective, the similarities between the two scenes stood out almost immediately. Terry had been beaten and stabbed, Hannah had been beaten and stabbed. Both attacks involved extreme violence, and both appeared to have been carried out by someone willing to take very significant risks. A major breakthrough in the potential correlation came on September twenty fourth, when officers reviewed a photograph taken inside Derek's apartment. The photo showed a handwritten list, a handwritten list that we already talked about. It said, medicine fresh. It followed several crossed out entries, and among them were the names of Hannah, Terry, and quote the Hideous Baby, which investigators were believed referred to Haley. This indicated that Derek was in fact responsible for Hannah's death too, and that he had been thinking about his victims ahead of time, and that may he may be you know what, tracking his actions for investigators. This document was one of the strongest pieces of evidence tying him to all three of the killings. The police also learned that Hannah lived next door to Derek's grandparents, which placed him in close proximity to her home and gave him reason to be in the area without raising any sort of suspicion. During later interviews, Derek would ultimately admit to killing Hannah as well. He told police he broke into her home, struck her with a baseball bat, and stabbed her, and when he was asked directly whether this murder was kind of a practice for whatever he was going to do later to Terry and Haley, he replied that it was. He directly acknowledged that he'd used his first killing to build confidence for others.
Speaker 2: Oh, that is just so hard to hear that he murdered her to practice like, are you fucking kidding me?
Speaker 1: I know, well, even if you look, there was superficial cuts across her neck, almost like he's seeing what sort of pressure he needs to apply to cut a throat. And then when it comes to Terry, he was successful because he knew a little more how to do it.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I am not okay. That is just not okay.
Speaker 1: Perhaps he even went and got a sharper knife. Perhaps he sharpened his knife because the other one just wasn't good enough. So he realized what he was doing, how he needed to do it, got ready and executed it properly the next time. And when I say properly, I mean properly in his own fucked up mind.
Speaker 2: Holy shit. I don't know if you're going to say something about this too, but I I remember hearing something about Terry had like given him a dirty look or something that he perceived that he had given him a dirty look at one point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I don't really go over that because that's kind of it's so gray, but that is essentially his reasoning for targeting them. Yes, he knew Cheyenne, who was Hailey's mother and Terry's ex a long time ago, and he had seen them in town, Terry in town or something, and thought that Terry had given him a dirty look, So then he was angry towards him and just decided to murder him.
Speaker 2: Gosh, which is so messed up. I bet you anything. Terry didn't even He was probably just busy or thinking about something, or thinking about Oh man, I forgot to get milk or something, or maybe.
Speaker 1: It's like a is that guy familiar I might recognize? Who knows? Right?
Speaker 2: Gosh, the reasoning behind these killings is just.
Speaker 1: One of the most absurd motives I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, In April twenty sixteen, Derek was formally charged with first degree murder in Hannah's death as well.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: In the weeks following his arrest, Derek Siretzky's behavior became a major concern for both investigators and court officials. Correctional staff and medical professionals were tasked with monitoring his physical and mental condition inside custody, and almost immediately questions began to arise about his stability. Then, on September twenty third, twenty fifteen, just one week after he was charged with two counts of first degree murder, his mental state took a turn. Derek was rushed from the Lethbridge Correctional Center to hospital after suffering a medical emergency. Sources later reported that he had attempted to take his own life while left alone to shower. He was found by guards and transported to Chinook Regional Hospital, where doctors placed him in a medically induced coma and for a couple days, his condition remained uncertain, but on September twenty fifth, officials confirmed that he had been brought out of the coma and was recovering under medical supervision. He was eventually returned to custody once doctors determined he was physically stable. Now during this period, reports emerged that Derek had lost a significant amount of weight and appeared increasingly withdrawn. Correctional staff noticed changes in behavior, including long periods of isolation and limited communication with others. Now, As the case moved forward, defense lawyers began raising concerns about whether Derek was mentally fit to stand trial, and soon the court ordered him to go for a thirty day psychiatric assessment. The goal was determined whether he understood the charges against him and could meaningfully participate in his defense. Psychiatrists evaluated Derek over several weeks, reviewing his medical history, interviewing him directly, and observing his behavior and custody. During these assessments, he continued to reinforce these religious and supernatural explanations for his actions, repeated peated claims that he'd been influenced by the devil or directed by God. He also spoke about having stopped taking prescribed antipsychotic medications before the killings as well. It was heavy stuff, and the doctors requested the assessment period be extended for another thirty days, to which the judge approved. Ultimately, on November twenty fifth, twenty fifteen, the court ruled that Derek was in fact mentally fit to stand trial. Medical experts concluded that despite his disturbing statements and past medical health issues, he understood the nature of the proceedings and was capable of working with lawyers now. Although he was deemed fit, questions about his mental states still did not disappear during interviews. In later testimony, he continued to shift blame towards those outside forces rather than fully accepting his responsibility. At times he expressed regret. At other times, he minimalized his actions or spoke in detached symbolic language. Prosecutors would later argue that these patterns reflected attempts to avoid accountability rather than genuine psychological impairment.
Speaker 2: That's so interesting because just you know, sitting here listening to this, I would not have thought he would be fit, stand fit, like he drank the blood of a child and stuff. He doesn't seem like he as well. But then he also could, like you're saying here, being playing into that, which is really messed up.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not so much that he's playing into it. It's that, yeah, he's messed up, but he still understands what he did. He still understands the consequences. He still understands what the trial and the defense and the prosecution is all about. He understands it. Okay, he's saying, I get it. It wasn't me. The devil did it. The devil made me do it. I had no control, but I totally know what's going on.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: He's coherent's he's there, he understands, he's rational, but there's it's like a flip side to him where it's almost like he's getting possessed. I mean he's not, but it's like he's getting possessed, and that possession is making him say and do things gosh and act in ways and you know, kind of like an extreme bipolar and extreme situation of schizophrenia something along those lines. Those are not diagnoses. Those are just kind of examples I'm trying to share to kind of put that perspective on it. It's like there's two sides to the coin, and no matter what side he's on, he at least understands what's going on around him.
Speaker 2: To just listen to someone though, hey, that's speaking that way would be I don't know, very alarming.
Speaker 1: Oh this sends a chill up my spine thinking about it now, regardless of whatever he said.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 1: After nearly two years of investigations, forensic testing, psychiatric evaluations, and legal motions, Derek Suatzky's trial finally began in the spring of twenty seventeen. Proceedings started in Lethbridge in early May, with pre trial hearings injury selections taking place before testimony he officially began, but by the end of the month, a jury had been seated and the trial moved into its main face. Now from the onset, it was clear that the case would be emotionally difficult for everyone involved, and prosecutors warned durors that they would be presented with very disturbing evidence, including crime scene photographs, forensic reports, and video recordings of Derek's own statements. The Crown's case focused on building a detailed chronological account of how the three murders unfolded. Prosecutors presented evidence beginning with the death of Hannahmacatech. Sorry almost got her name wrong there. It's a difficult name to pronounce, so and on September ninth, twenty fifteen, followed by the murder of Terry Blanchette and the abduction of Haley on September fourteenth, saying that the killings were not isolated incidents, but more so instead part of a pattern. Now, one of the most significant pieces of evidence john in court was video of Derek's police interviews and is recorded reenactment at the Rant property.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The footage was played in court under strict conditions, and several jurors were visibly distressed, and at times proceedings were even paused to allow them time to recover. Medical experts also testified about the injuries suffered by the victims. Pathologists described the extent of Terry's wounds, including multiple blunt force injuries and several cuts to his neck. In Hannah's case, doctors explained how she'd been struck and stabbed, likely while trying to defend herself. Because of the condition of Haley's remains, a precise cause of death could not be determined, but evidence supported Derek's confession that she had in fact been strangled. What evidence that is I could not find, but apparently quote unquote evidence supported it now. RCMP forensic specialists presented detail findings from the crime scene too and Derek's apartment. They explained how blood pattern showed Terry had been attacked in his bed, dragged through his house and dena. Evidence linked Haley's blood to Derek's boots, and there were traces of blood on the door handle's floor, clothing, and more, which all helped establish his movements after the murders. Investigators also testified about the discovery of the handwritten list in Derek's apartment. The crown argued that the list showed planning intent and supported the charge of first degree murder. Family members and friends of the victims were called to testify as well. Cheyenne Dunbar described her relationship with Terry, their shared custody agreement, and her past friendship with Derek. She told the court that she had not been in contact with him for years and had never suspected he was capable of violence. Terry's relatives and friends spoke about his dedication as a father and his efforts to build a stable life for Haley. The defense, on the other hand, didn't dispute that Derek had committed the killings. There was too much evidence not to mention his recorded confessions. Their strategy instead focused on his mental state now in the courtroom. Derek's lawyers argued that his history of mental illness, medication issues, and unusual beliefs affected his ability to form intent. They suggested that he had been experiencing psychological deterioration in the weeks leading up to the crimes. Psychiatrists and psychologists were both called on both sides to discuss Derek's mental health. Some experts acknowledged that he had struggled with mental illness. Others testified that despite this, he still understood his actions and their consequences. Throughout the trial, Derek remained mostly quiet. He rarely showed visible emotion and often avoided eye contact with witnesses. Observers noted that there were moments when he appeared very detached and others when he seemed to follow the testimony extremely closely. By the time the closing arguments approached, jurors had reviewed weeks of testimony, hundreds of exhibits, and hours of recorded footage, and in late June of twenty seventeen, the jury was given its final instructions by Justice William Tilleman and sent out to deliberate. After approximately only three hours, the jury returned to the courtroom with its verdict. Derrek Sretzki was found guilty on all counts of first degree murder for the death of Hannah MaCTec, for the death of Terry Blanchett and the death of Hailey Dunbar Blanchett, as well as one more account of committing an indignity to a dead body in relation to the cannibalism of Hailey Dunbar Blanchett. Following the verdict, the court moved to the sentencing phase. Because first degree murder in Canada carries a mandatory life sentence, the main issue before the judge was whether that period of parole ineligibility would be served consecutively with each case. Now at the time, the law allowed judges to stack parole ineligibility periods for multiple murders, meaning an offender could be required to serve far more than twenty five years before ever receiving eligibility for parole. Before sentencing was imposed, Victim impact statements were read in court. These statements gave family members and loved ones an opportunity to describe how the crimes had affected their lives. Cheyenne Dunbar spoke about the loss of her daughter and the permanent change that it had caused. She told the court that grief, anxiety, and depression had become daily struggles. She told them how every milestone Haley would ever have reached would forever remind her of what had been taken from her. Terry's sister, Amanda Blanchett, addressed the court as well. She said that Derek had stolen not just one life, but the future of an entire family. She spoke about the pain of losing her brother and the horror of knowing what her niece had to endure. Friends and relatives of Hannah MaCTec also, while he submitted some statements One close friend described how Hannah's death had shattered the sense of safety in the community and left lasting emotional scars. She told the court that forgiveness was in in the face of such violence. When it was time for sentencing, Justice Tillman addressed the court. He stated that Derek had shown no regard for human life, community standards, or the rule of law. He described the crimes as terrible and incomprehensible, and emphasized the lasting harm that they had caused. The judge imposed three life sentences to be served consecutively, and he ordered that Derek would not be eligible to apply for parole for a total of seventy five years, effectively ensuring that he would never be released.
Speaker 2: Dang, dang, that's a good sentence.
Speaker 1: The sentence was one of the harshest available in Canada at the time. With sentencing complete, Derek was formally transferred to a feder a federal prison system sorry to begin serving his life sentence. But like many people convicted of serious crimes, he of course exercised his right to appeal both his conviction and his sentence. About a month after the verdict, his legal team filed formal appeals arguing that there were errors that had been made during the trial that the censing imposed was in was unconstitutional. One of the main arguments raised by the defense focused on the consecutive parole ineligibility periods. Defense lawyers argued that such a sentence amounted to cruel and unusual punishment and violated the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. They claimed that denying any realistic chance a parole removed incentives for rehabilitation and stripped inmates of hope for eventual reintegration into society. The Alberta Court of Appeal reviewed those arguments, and in November of twenty twenty they dismissed the appeal and upheld both his convictions and his sentence. However, the legal landscape shifted again in twenty twenty two. That year, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that the provisions allowing judges to impose consecutive periods of parole ineligibility from multiple murders was in fact unconstitutional. The court determined that such sentences violated the Charter because they eliminated any meaningful possibility for parole of life. As a result of this decision, individuals who had received stacked parole ineligibility periods became eligible to apply for parole after serving twenty five years, regardless of the number of murders they had committed. The ruling applied retroactively, affecting cases across the country, including Derek's. And that decision makes my stomach turn.
Speaker 2: Well, that is so messed up because then it just like doesn't even matter how many people you kill, really.
Speaker 1: Correct, because you are allowed to apply for parole after twenty five years, So.
Speaker 2: Matter what, Yeah, if you freaking kill one person or you killed ten, it's like you get you can apply for parole at the same fucking time.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Just messed up, which means honestly, like in this case, Derek can apply for parole after twenty five years, but I do have to state approval is not automatic and many applicants are denied repeatedly, Yes.
Speaker 2: Which is good, and I feel like he would be denied.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would hope so many times.
Speaker 2: I would think.
Speaker 1: Now, for the families of Terry, Haley and Hannah, that really meant that, beginning in early twenty forties, they could be required to relive the case every two years. If Derek chose to apply for parole. Each hearing would involve reviewing the crimes, submitting statements, and confronting the possibility of his eventual release. Victim advocates and family members across Canada criticized the decision, arguing that it placed additional emotional burden on those already affected by violent crimes. And I wholeheartedly agree with that.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's punishing them. I also think every two years is unreasonable. Yes, I think that should be changed to say every five.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree. Actually, you're right. You know what, if you have I'm going to go out on a limb and say this, if you receive one murder sentence, you get a parole of twenty five years. Maybe after that, you know what, because there's so many situations, right, and so maybe in that situation you get every two maybe, but if you are killing multiple it should definitely not be too. If they're bringing it down to twenty five, I'm thinking even twenty five and then every ten for parole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because imagine even just changing that, that would save a lot of money in people's time. It would because two years two years is I am going to say it again, unreasonable. It's not very much time.
Speaker 1: And exactly as you said too. There's almost no difference now in serving a sentence of if you kill one verse a dozen, yeah, which is bonkers. So you need to create a system where that balances out if you want to level the playing field on the you know what, maybe one day I can rehabilitate, maybe one day I can get out. Sure, do that, but you still need to account for the severity of their fucking crimes and how long they will spend behind bars. Yes, you want to give them the parole, give them the fucking parole, but limit their fucking parole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my god, damn it. Limited.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm getting I'm getting fucking angry. I'm starting to swear, so I'm getting angry. Anyways, regardless of the parle and legal decisions, the case is closed for now, and life in the Crow's Ness past slowly began to return to something resembling normal for residents of Blairmore, Coleman and the surrounding communities. However, the events of twenty fifteen left a lasting mark. The murders in the search for Haley had drawn national attention to a region that was normally quiet and close knit for many people who lived there. The sense of safety had been taken for granted and was permanently altered. In the months and years following the case, community members made deliberate efforts to focus on healing rather than the violence itself. One of the most visible examples of this was the creation of a playground and park in Blairmore named in Haley Dunbar Blanchette's memory, built through volunteer labor, labor and local fundrais seeing the park was meant to honor her life, becoming a place where families could gather and children could play, offering a small measure of hope in the aftermath of tragedy. Public memorials and private acts of remembrance continue as well. Vigils, anniversary gatherings, and charitable efforts help keep the victim's names present in the community without turning them into a symbol of fear. Residents often speak about the importance of remembering Terry as a devoted father and Hannah as a kind and generous neighbor who ain't going to take no shit from nobody's sort of attitude because fuck yeah, I love that, And rather than defining them only by their deaths, they're remembering them for Cheyenne Dunbar. Hailey's mother life after the case involved rebuilding in the face of overwhelming loss. In interviews following the trial, she spoke openly about the long term effects of grief, anxiety, and depression. Losing her daughter so suddenly and violently reshaped every aspect of her life. While she largely withdrew public attention later in the years, her testimony and statement during the trial reflected the depth of her commitment to preserving Haley's memory. Terry Blanchette's family also continued to navigate life without him. His sister, parents and extended relatives worked to keep his role as a loving father at the center of how he was remembered. Friends and former co workers frequently described him as someone who had been trying to improve his life and focus on his daughter, a narrative that stood in contrast to the violence that ended it. In Coleman, Hannah Macatac's absence was felt deeply among longtime residents and friends. She'd been a very familiar presence in town, and her death highlighted the vulnerability of elderly people living alone. Neighbours became more tentative to one another and informal support networks grew stronger in response. More than anything, though, the lasting legacy of the story in Crow's Nest Past is tied to the people who were law Ust, Terry, Hannah, and Haley are all remembered not for the violence inflicted on them, but for the lives they lived within their families and communities. The story, when followed from beginning to end, shows us how an ordinary place was disrupted by extraordinary harm, how three people were brutally killed, but it also shows how tragedy can be turned into remembrance. All three victims are gone, and another family lost their son to his actions and now he's sitting behind bars. Yet their loved ones all still hold on to their memories. They remember, they celebrate, and in some cases, thanks to their beliefs, they wait for the day they get to see them and embrace them once again in another life. And that's the story of Derek Suretzky.
Speaker 2: That one is just so maddening.
Speaker 1: It's very frustrating, to say the least two it is because there's.
Speaker 2: Just absolutely no point to any of that. It's fricking sucks that it.
Speaker 1: Happened, for sure, And I did kind of say it at the end. But even Derek's family, like, they're grieving heavily for what their son did, for what they lost their son. Not only that, but it was the family who turned him in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they had to make that choice, the right choice, but that would not have been easy.
Speaker 1: No. Now, don't get me wrong, He's still alive. But the other three unfortunately or not, but they did lose their son too.
Speaker 2: He's not alive in the same way. Yes, And I didn't know about the playground that they made. That is that is one of the most awesome memorials I think I've ever heard of. Isn't it for a child? Hey? That is really great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that. Anyways, I don't think I want to talk a whole lot about this one after the fact. It's fucking sucked. I Derek is one hundred percent responsible. I think I've made it very clear before my views on people with mental health issues committing murders. You still fucking did it. You should still be behind bars. I hope you get rehabilitated though, but you should still be behind fucking bars. So yeah, I'm gonna leave it at that. How about you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think everyone just needs a little bit of I don't know, to deflate a little bit right after this one, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys for being here, and thank Nicole for telling me to do this case she recommended it to me. Sorry, we appreciate you all. If you want to check more about our podcast, we got a website which is actually getting revamped here by the way, it's been sitting old and stale for a long time, so we're getting that revamped slowly. We got social media's all that good stuff. You want to give us a review, we would appreciate that. It goes a long way with our independent podcast helps other people, you know what, look at the podcast think hey, I might want to listen to that too, So if you don't us, If you don't, though, that's cool too. We just appreciate you being here, so thank you, and of course, until next
Speaker 2: Time, stay wicked.