Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Path went Chili.
Speaker 2: I'm Robin, I'm Jules, and I'm Ashley. Let's dive right into this week's case.
Speaker 3: July tenth, nineteen fifty eight, Monterey County, California. Twenty six year old First Lieutenant Paul Whipkey leaves Fort Ord, the Army base where he stationed, but he fails to return and is declared a deserter. Thirty days later, five weeks after you went missing, Whipkey's abandoned car is discovered nearly five hundred miles away in a remote section of Death Valley. Since Whipkey's body cannot be found, the Army believes he suffered a mental breakdown and wandered into the desert and died. However, Whitpkey's family discovers troubling discrepancies to make them believe the Army staged his disappearance, possibly because he was recruited for a secret mission. In nineteen eighty two, the Army officially changes Whipkey's status from deserter to die in the line of duty, but he's never found and the full truth about what actually happened to him remains unknown.
Speaker 1: After that, the Path went Chiley. Today, we've got a very strange military mystery to cover, the nineteen fifty eight disappearance of Paul Whipkey. This case was once featured on Unsolved Mysteries, which did its fair share of stories about servicemen who died or went missing under seemingly suspicious circumstances, and the victim's families were certain that the military was involved and orchestrated some sort of cover up. Well, quite frankly, I feel that some of these segments had an overly conspiratle tone, and that Unsolved Mysteries had a tendency to exaggerate certain details to make the cases seem more mysterious than they really were. However, the disappearance of Paul Whipkey, a first lieutenant serving in the United States Army, is a pretty bizarre story, and I think there are enough odd details to suggest that the military knew a lot more than they were letting on at the time he vanished. Lieutenant Whipkey was stationed at Fort Orton, California, before he left the base one day and went absent without leave. When Whipkey's abandoned car was discovered in Death Valley over one month later, the Army believed that he simply wandered out into the desert and died, but there is compelling evidence to suggest that someone else may have planted the car there. Whipkey's family has always clung to two potential theories. The Army either recruited Whipkey for a top secret mission where they staged his disappearance to cover up their culpability in assigning him to work on Operation plumb Bob, a series of atomic tests which may have caused a severe nos get an impact on Whipkey's physical and mental health. So we're going to explore all different possibilities in today's episode.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm already in. This is a very fascinating case. You don't hear a lot about cover ups where you go. I actually believe there's some truth to this, especially with you know, when you talk about the military and things like that. When I hope you guys are going to give me some evidence to show that one of those two possibilities is possible where the Army actually could be accountable in both scenarios. What I find really interesting here, though, is that they do change the classification for him from a wall or deserter to died in align a duty. I think there's something to be said about that that, you know, a family would think of. My loved one is classified as a wall that they just abandoned their position in the military, which is one of the most degrading, horrible things you could do, is to desert your posts. And somehow in nineteen eighty two they change it to died in the line of duty. So do you know more about that why they changed the classification.
Speaker 1: Well, that's one of the most frustrating things about this case, as we're going to talk about, because it was kind of a bittersweet feeling for the family because their loved one is no longer recognized as a deserter. But at the same time they changed to him dying the line of duty, but they don't explain why, or produce his body or share any details about how he supposed Lee died. And if you just drove off and wandered off into the desert, that's technically not dying in the life of duty. So that gives off the impression that the military knew a lot more about what happened to them, but unfortunately kept his family in the dark.
Speaker 2: To me, it almost feels like that they know something and they changed it to appease the family because they didn't want further investigation. Where at least if we change it from this, you know, horrible mark on his record, maybe there is some solace there in the family. We'll move forward.
Speaker 3: This reminds me of the plot of the show on Paramount plus Linus of the current season, where she's recruiting a new Lioness, which is somebody to go out and work in the field, and she ends up recruiting somebody who's in active duty in I can't remember Iraq at that moment, and she's flying helicopters and they basically have to get her a dishonorable discharge, like a fake one, so that she can come in believably and work and then infiltrate this gang in Mexico because they're somehow orchestrating these attacks on America like they had kidnapped a senator. Find it really interesting that we're going to get to explore this a little bit deeper, and we're also really lucky to have Ashley on this case because her father was a marine and Ashley spent time as a professor at the Citadel, so she's military adjacent and she's one of the best people when it comes to opinions on institutions, So I'm really excited to hear your takes Ash.
Speaker 2: Thanks Jules. Yeah, I'll tell you what men and women and who serve our country. They are my hero. My dad is a marine. He obviously retired after Vietnam, but once marine, always a marine, and he's literally my hero, and so are all the men and women who serve our country. I do get frustrated with the institution of the military, like you mentioned, but I think that's all institutions. So I can't wait to hear more about what happens to Paul and these missions that they could have sent him on, because in my gut, I'm feeling like the Army feels some accountability or that classification just would not have changed.
Speaker 3: Our story begins in California in nineteen fifty eight. Our central figure is twenty six year old Paul Whipkey, who originally hails from Murriesville, Pennsylvania. After graduating from high school, Whikey went on to earn a civil engineering degree at Pennsylvania State University and was an honors graduate in the Reserve Officers Training Corps, where he received his Army commission as an officer. After completing basic training in nineteen fifty four, Whipkey began aviation school and eventually earned his Army's pilot wings. In July nineteen fifty six. He would be posted at Fort Ord, located in California's Monterey County, and achieved the rank of first lieutenant. After nearly two years there, he was assigned the duties of company commander. On the afternoon of July tenth, Whickey left Fort Ord in his nineteen fifty six red and white Chevrolet. He told his friends that he was planning to get a drink in the town of Monterey, which was located less than a mile away from the base. However, Whipkey never returned to the base, and when he failed to surface by morning, he was declared absent without leave aka a WALL. After thirty days past, Whipkey had still not turned up, so the Army officially declared him a deserter, But the case would take a bizarre turn only one week later. On August seventeenth, over a month after he originally went missing, Whipkey's abandoned Chevrolet was discovered by a fishing game warden in a remote section of Death Valley. The desolate location is nearly five hundred miles east from Fort Ord, forty two miles from the nearest town, and fifteen miles from the main road. The Keys were still in the ignition and a suitcase containing some of whip Key's personal belongings and his military dog tags was found inside the vehicle. Well, there are no obvious signs of a struggle or foul play. Whippi himself was nowhere to be found.
Speaker 2: This is really interesting because he's dedicated his career to the army and he's even become a pilot. That's such an amazing opportunity in the military, and he's really achieving these ranks very fast. It seems like they put a lot of responsibility in with him and that they trust him, and they're using him as a leader in his position and in his station, and so it's odd, it's odd behavior. This is not some enlisted kid who comes in. This is someone who's making a career out of the military, and so for him to quote a wall, it really is a fascinating scenario because he has such heavy steak in the military. He has a clout and position and so for him to go all the way through to become a pilot and then just to abandon the military does seem quite odd. Of course, when mental health is to play, that can always be something that doesn't quote make sense or doesn't really follow the normal script of how people behave. But this is the fifties, and so at the time, how much would we have known and how many signs would you have picked up on if he was in fact struggling with mental health. So I'll be interested to hear more about that, but very odd, given again that he has worked so diligently to achieve so much in the military, and it goes to do what a lot of military men and women do. They go off to have a drink and hang out with friends when they're not at their posts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going to go into more detail about this later on, but it sounds like by all accounts, Whipkey did have a stellar service record, but he got involved in a particular operation which did cause a change in his behavior, and if he was having mental health struggles, this could have been the source of it. But overall, it sounds like it would have been bury out of character for him to just desert his post and then just drive away, and the fact that his vehicle was found five hundred miles away from the base in pretty much the hottest climate in the United States is particularly unusual. Investigators attempted to attrack Whipkey's movements after he left ford Or on July to tenth. It turned out that later that same day, Whipkey had apparently driven over three hundred miles to Mojave, as his signature was on the guest registry of a local establishment called White's Motel. A receipt was found in Whipkey's car which showed that he purchased fourteen gallons of gasoline in Mojave on July the eleventh, and the spot where the Chevrolet was abandoned was approximately one hundred and forty five miles from this location. The Army concluded that Whipke likely suffered some sort of mental breakdown pause due to the added stress of becoming a company commander, and this prompted him to drive nearly five hundred miles to an isolated area and Death Valley. He subsequently watered out into the desert and succumbed to the extreme heat, which could reach temperatures of up to one hundred and twenty degrees fahrenheit in July. The army believed that the shifting sands of the desert would make it nearly impossible to recover Whipkey's body, but oddly they never even made an attempt to search for his body until nine months after his car was found. This was just one of the many reasons that Whipkey's family became suspicious about the official cover story.
Speaker 2: So I'm wondering if their excuse was that a desert so vast that there's so many spaces that a body could go that he could have again like they said, you know, fall down and the sand covers him and things like that. Did they claim that it was just too big of an unknown place to search, like I just don't have a pinpointed area to search enough until that car's found and then they say, oh, now we can search for his body. Do you know what extent they actually went out and had publicity that they have a soldier who's a.
Speaker 1: Wall I'm trying to remember I researched this case. When I did it on the trail went cold, and I don't recall seeing many newspaper articles in newspapers dot com. But let me just double check that. I'm just curious to see no looking back on it. It really didn't get any publicity at all, and this case was completely unknown until about the nineteen eighties, which is when Whippy's family started lobbying to get his status change from deserter to died in the line of duty and they took his story to the press. But prior to that, his disappearance didn't get any publicity at all.
Speaker 3: Paul's older brother, Carl Whipkey, a veteran who'd served in the army during World War Two and covered a number of troubling discrepancies. Carl immediately became troubled when he attempted to call his at Fort ord on July twelfth, two days after he originally went missing. Karl learned that a pair of soldiers had collected all of Paul's personal belongings from miss Barracks the previous day, right after he was declared a wall Even though Paul would not officially be declared a deserter for thirty more days, his belongings were subsequently packed into eleven wooden crates and sent to his family. According to Karl, this was against army regulations, as a soldier's next of kin or legal representative are supposed to be notified before their belongings are packed up. When Paul's car was discovered one month later, Carl only learned about it by accident. He had made an unofficial call to an enlisted man at Fort Ord, who subsequently phoned him a half hour later. The soldier told Karl that Paul's vehicle had been discovered in Death Valley, but asked Karl not to tell anyone where he'd heard this because it was classified information. There were more odd details about the circumstances of how Paul's car was found. Four weeks after he originally went missing, a rancher reported seeing a red and white Chevrolet driving through Death Valley, about twelve miles from the spot that it was eventually discovered. However, he claimed that the driver was dressed in a military uniform, but Paul had been dressed in civilian clothing when he left board Or. In addition, a pile of cigarette butts was found outside the car in the desert, even though Paul did not smoke.
Speaker 2: Very interesting, you would think that the moment a soldier went a wall, the military would start contacting people they knew to say, do you know where they are? This is serious. Your son is missing, Your brother is missing. He's abandon his post or we believe he has, and see if he's been in contact with anybody. It is also odd that you have people who have packed up all of his belongings so quickly, just two days, right after he went missing, everything's packed up. What if he came back and had been in a car accident or you know, they found him in a hospital somewhere, then why was all this stuff packed up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, it's not like this was a soldier with a history of discipline problems who was known for like going a wall and escaping off base, like this was very out of character for Paul, Like he had a stellar service record. So it's just very suspicious that they would think, well, he didn't come back after two days, let's clear out his barracks because there's no way he's ever coming back. Even though there's so many logical reasons for why he might have disappeared.
Speaker 3: The family was really fortunate that Karl had served time in the military as well and knew who to call and look questions to ask to get this kind of information, because if he didn't, like what state would the case have been in, the family wouldn't have really had anything to lobby for at that point because they just wouldn't have had the information to move forward.
Speaker 2: So odd that they'd be told, hey, don't share this information, it's classified. When something's so important as his car being found, it's his family, don't they have a right to know, Hey, you're a while brother. We discovered his car and we don't know where he is. That seems like something that the family should be aware of. That's his well being.
Speaker 1: So prior to his disappearance, Paul had stopped communicating with his family, and Carl would learn a potential reason for this when Karl received Paul's personal blongings from ford Ord. They mistakenly included a list of Paul's assignments, which revealed that he had been assigned a temporary duty at Camp Desert Rock in Nevada from July into October of nineteen fifty seven. This was a camp for servicemen who participated in nuclear weapons testing, and this particular series of tests was known as Operation Plumbbob. During this time period, a total of twenty nine explosions, all of but two of which were nuclear wound up being set off. Paul's duties included flying an observation plane and relaying radio messages to and from ground troops advancing on ground zero. His list of assignments showed that he had logged thirteen hours of flying time and witness to total of five atomic tess the largest of which was a forty four kiloton blast. Carl Whipkey would later speak to his brother's commanding officer, Lieutenant Colonel Charles Lewis, who said he noticed a number of troubling changes with Paul following his assignment at Camp Desert Rock, which may have stemmed from exposure to radioactive fallout. Upon returning to Fort Ord, Paul noticed that some unusual blotches started appearing on his skin, as well as black moles on his body and warts on his hands. He started suffering from constant colds and losing weight, and things reached the point where Paul needed to have all of his teeth removed before he was fitted with dentures. Lieutenant Colonel Lewis also said that Paul's personality changed as he became more nervous and withdrawn and had trouble delegating authority in his new role as company commander. Much like Carl, Lewis was also troubled by the circumstances of Paul's disappearance, but claimed that when he attempted to make further inquiries, he was always advised to drop the matter because the case was closed.
Speaker 2: Because this was the fifties, I guarantee you medical care was lacking when it came to what you did when soldiers were exposed to these kinds of radioactive levels, knowing the impact on the body would have been less than we have now. And so when you start seeing poor Paul literally physically fall apart, he has to have all of his teeth removed, he's losing weight. It's clear that radiation poisoning or something has occurred, and other military members are concerned. Remember his brother, Carl served in the military, and he's talking to his brother's commanding officer saying something's wrong, and that commanding officer standing up for Paul, saying, right, there's a reason why he's a leader. There's a reason he's been put in charge of these other soldiers, and yet he's failing to delegate. He's failing to behave the way we all know he behaves, and so he's going to bat for Paul and saying, he' all got to explain to me what happened, and no one wants to talk to, even the commanding officer. So there's a big problem there. This is his subordinate that he's checking on. He has a family member who's inquiring, but he himself is inquiring and he still can't get information. It's very, very suspicious.
Speaker 3: This is so upsetting. Like listening to the list of his side effects, I can't imagine how his brain was impacted by the nuclear fallout. And to have all of your teeth basically fall apart, I don't know if they rotted or disintegrated. What happened to is the rest of his skeletal structure, Like were his bones falling apart? As well? To be trapped inside a body that is failing you at the age that he is, the impact would be catastrophic. I can't even imagine. And it would be so difficult if you weren't able to express your emotions or to be able to talk about what you did with your family because the information was classified. Like my heart breaks for him having to experience that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because this is another case where Karl was lucky because he wasn't supposed to note that his brother participated an Operation plumb Bob, and he only found out because they accidentally sent a list of Paul's assignments in his belongings, but otherwise, because it was top secret, Paul never told anyone from his family about it, and they never would have learned if Carl had not received that sheet. And I'm sure that costed some awful thoughts to go in his head because this is the fifties and nuclear testing has only been around for just over a decade or so, and they just probably do not understand or they don't care about the negative physical and mental effects hes could have on the soldiers who are involved, who don't have adequate protection, And this would eventually skyrocket into a scandal with a massive lawsuit from all the people who were forced to participate in Operation plumb Bob and did not get protection and started suffering from health issues. And it is just a shame that Paul suffered through all this, but he never really got to receive justice because he went missing and was no longer around when this lawsuit became a big story.
Speaker 3: UIs had been stationed with Whipkey at count Desert Rock in nineteen fifty seven and recalled an incident where he saw two men dressed in civilian clothing speaking to Whipkey and another officer on the airfield. For security reasons, Lewis decided to approach the two men and asked to see their identification, and they produced ID cards which showed they were Army intelligence agents. Lewis said that over the course of the next few weeks he would frequently see these same two men return to the airfield. They conversed with Whikey two or three times per week, and Whikey always appeared to be nervous and uptight afterwards. Whenever Lewis asked Whitkey if there was anything wrong, Whipkey always assured him that everything was fine, but never discussed his conversations with the two men. Louis would later express his beliefs that these men had been affiliated with the CIA. During this time period, the CIA would often recruit servicemen to assist them on classified, top secret assignments, and Lewis felt that Wikey's excellent service record would have made him a promising candidate for them. Lewis's story prompted Carl Whitkey to remember our conversation he had with his brother in January of nineteen fifty eight, where Paul told Carl that he was going on assignment in which he would quote make a name for himself. But before Paul could share any more details, he told Carl that there were some officers near his desk, so he couldn't say anything else, and this was the only time Carl ever heard about this subject before Paul disappeared. This caused Carl to theorize that his brother might have been recruited into some sort of joint Army CIA program. If so, it provided a possible explanation for Paul's decision to stop at White's motel in Mojave. Edward's Air Force base was located nearby, so perhaps Paul met up with the CIA contacts at the motel, who subsequently flew him out of the country on some sort of secret mission. They also may have held on to Paul's Chevrolet until, for unknown reasons, they decided to abandon it in Death Valley and fabricated cover story about Paul wandering out into the desert.
Speaker 2: Is it possible that he needed to disappear that whatever assignment he had gone on. I know that sounds crazy, but that something like witness protection or changing his identity, that something that severe was needed for whatever operation he was doing.
Speaker 1: That is a possibility that it could have been something where we really need you to serve your country, but in order to protect your identity and protect the assignment, we have to make it look like you went a wall and disappeared and will abandon your car in the desert. And I know Jules was talking about the show Linus having a similar plot line, So does this kind of sound something like that where they practically destroy someone's reputation to make it look like they're a deserter, but they think it's for the greater good because their assignment is so important.
Speaker 3: In that show, the CIA was like, well, if she lives through this assignment, she can come and work for us. But yeah, they said, basically, her reputation with the army will be destroyed forever, but.
Speaker 1: If she's successful, then he can work with the CIA. So it could be the same thing with Paul, where it's like it's destroying his Army career, but if he's successful on this mission, he's got a permanent job with the CIA. It also turned out that there was a bizarre side story involving a twenty five year old first lieutenant from four Door named Charles Guests, who was also a pilot in one of Whipkey's closest friends. They had both been stationed together at Camp Desert Rock, but while there, Lieutenant Colonel Lewis claimed he saw Guests get interviewed on at least one occasion by the same two men who frequently converse with Whipkey. On the morning of July to twenty second, nineteen fifty eight, just twelve days after Whipkey originally went missing, Guest took off from Bishop, California in an L nineteen reconnaissance plane in order to perform a topographic survey for the Army. He was supposed to land in Winnemucca, Nevada, but the plane never arrived and an extensive search failed to turn up any trace of them. However, in September of nineteen fifty nine, a pair of deer hunters spotted wreckage from a crashed plane on the west slope of wh Mountain in Inyo National Forest, located about thirty five miles northeast of Bishop Skeletal remains, which were identified as belonging to guests were found nearby. On the surface, this seemed like a tragic accident, but there was one problem. The plane's wreckage apparently had a different serial number than the plane guests had taken off. In the fact that Guess and Whipkey had both been involved in atomic testing at Camp Desert Rock and happened to go missing less than two weeks apart led to speculation that there might be a connection between the two cases.
Speaker 2: That whole scenario doesn't even sound plausible, but you would have this young military man take off to do a geographical assessment and then he just crashes. And when you have this crash discovered, it's a different plane than the one he took off in the serial number is completely different. And when you go back, he's exposed to these same two men who say they're from the CIA and they're here to interview these soldiers, and both men go missing and or end up deceased shortly after. Definitely raises the hair on your neck and makes you say, what happened? Who were these men? What were these kids involved? And they were just young soldiers at the time, and did it lead to death or are these cover ups because these two men proved to be soldiers that could handle a bigger operation. It's very, very, very bizarre, and coincidence is possible, but it also does open up this door to say, hey, it sounds crazy, but could both men be involved in a disappearance or death?
Speaker 1: And the weird thing about Guess is that there's very little information about his death other than a brief mention on the Unsolved Mystery segment. But I'd be very curious to find out how they identify these remains because this is the nineteen fifties and they wouldn't have done DNA testing. It's not clear if they found his teeth and identified them by a dental records. So theoretically, if they wanted to fake his death, they could just like say, hey, he crashed into this forest and died in a plane crash and we found these remains. But if they wanted to stage it, they could just toss out some parts with a different serial number in order to fake the whole thing.
Speaker 3: It seems like a lot of effort to go to to like plant somebody else's remains and try to fake his death like that when he'd been missing for so many years and the chances of them actually recovering the plane seemed like they were slim to none. It just seems like there is a possibility that maybe there was an oversight and it was like was it a completely different type of plane or was it just that the serial numbers were different? Like could they have got the serial numbers on the plane that he took off in wrong.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm thinking as well, is that I don't see any indication that it was a completely different plane, So it could just be some sort of clerical era where they just wrote down the wrong serial numbers when he toocked off, and then then when they found the wreckage they just saw a different number and assumed it wasn't the same plane. But yeah, it seems like if they just wanted him to disappear, they wouldn't even bother planting the remains or something like that. They would just say, oh, he crashed and was never found. And it doesn't sound like Charles's guests had like the same service record as Paul Whikey where it would be worth faking his death in order to send him on some sort of secret mission.
Speaker 3: And just to confirm, this is around the flight path that he was on originally when he disappeared. Look where he was found it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I think if he was heading to Winnemuck in Nevada, he would have flown over this area.
Speaker 3: If he was in like a completely different state or found somewhere totally different, then I would believe that it could have been some secret mission on a different plane. But because it's the same flight path, I'm more inclined to think it's a clerical error. For the next two decades, Karl Whike would fight diligently to uncover the truth about what happened to his brother. In June nineteen seventy seven, Carl sent a Freedom of Information Act request to the FBI, asking them to turn over all information they had about Paul's disappearance. The following year, the FBI answered Carl and informed him that they had destroyed fourteen boxes containing field files about the case six months after they received his request. In spite of this, Carl still managed to accumulate nearly three thousand pages of government documents, affidavits, and transcripts which were related to his brother. He noticed some more odd discrepancies, such as the fact that the list of Paul's assignments from the Army made no mention of his three month stint at Camp Desert Rock. Karl also uncovered one document which stated that his brother had once used the alias Paul B. Whipper, though no additional explanation was provided. One of Carl's goals was to change Paul's official status with the Army so that he could no longer be classified as a deserter. Carl's persistence finally paid off in April of nineteen eighty two, when he successfully lobbied the Army Board of Correction to Military Records to undertake a new review of his brother's case. The board held a three year hearing and concluded there was no evidence to support Paul's status as a deserter. Their final report stated that his unauthorized absence was excused as unavoidable and that his death was incurred in the line of duty, not due to his own misconduct. As a result, Paul's status was officially changed. She died in the line of duty, and the Army Adjudged General's Office issued a certificate of honorable service in his name.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering if at the time they looked at records that showed his physical health declining, and they had reports where even his commander and things like that were saying, listen, his mental health is fading. He's not commanding the same, he's not responding the same. His personality has shifted. Remember they said he was much more kind of inward and anxious and couldn't really lead.
Speaker 1: The way he had.
Speaker 2: And so if they know he was in this radiation testing and they know it's having these physical effects, Remember they're reviewing this case in the eighties now when they occurred in the fifties, And so I'm wondering if that change in knowledge and what they knew at the time, looking at the totality of the event, if that's why they changed it. Not that we had anything to do with it, but that obviously he was struggling so significantly that he had to have all of his teeth removed because they were all falling out, and he was losing weight, and he had sores on his skin and moles growing on his skin that were unexplainable. Clearly, we affected this man significantly. He paid for his service with his life, the livelihood that he had and so I'm wondering if that alone would allow them to change the classification. Even if they think Paul quote voluntarily left, they would say, hey, well, because what we put him through probably led to that. Were they really covering their bases there and saying our exposure and what we put him through would have resulted in this for many of people. And therefore in the eighties they say enough's enough. He didn't desert the military. He clearly gave so much that we're going to change his classification.
Speaker 3: That was exactly my thoughts too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, would definitely make sense because obviously in the nineteen eighties there was a much better understanding of nuclear testing and atomic radiation and the after effects of it than there was in the fifties, because that was the era where they were still releasing duck and cover videos where they would try to tell people that if you're in a nuclear exposion, just duck under a desk somewhere and you'll be fine, which is obviously not true. So they were looking at these reports now with more advanced eyes and thinking, wow, we really kind of screwed this guy over by putting him in this testing without a new protection, and they don't want to flat out admit that, but it's kind of the interesting wording the way that they said that his absence was unavoidable and his death was incurred in the line of duty, not to his own misconduct, So it's almost like an admission without actually admitting that our nuclear testing cat changes in Paul's behavior and could have led to him driving out into the middle of nowhere and dying. So technically will say that he died in the line of duty without actually admitting it. So, like we said, it is kind of a bittersweet victory for the family because Paul is no longer classified as a deserter, but they still don't exactly have conclusive answers about what actually happened to him and why he's still missing. However, even though the board concluded that Whipley likely died the day after he disappeared from ford Ord, they still never provided any official explanation about what actually happened to him. While their official reporting knowledge that Whipkey had been assigned to Camp Desert Rock in nineteen fifty seven, they denied he was ever involved in atomic testing, even though this duty had been specified on the list of assignments which were accidentally shipped to Whipkey's family with his personal belongings. Lieutenant Colonel Charles Lewis had testified on Whipkey's behalf at the three day hearing, but claimed that he ran into some issues. A short time later an audit from the IRS, Lewis also received a phone call from a man identifying himself as an agent from the Department of Defense, who asked a number of questions about the Whipkey case, But when Lewis contacted the DoD later on, they maintained that none of their agents had ever phoned him, so Lewis never found out who the caller really was. This story would be featured on an episode of Unsolved Mysteries, which aired in April of nineteen ninety one and featured interviews with Lewis and Carl Whipkey. Carl hoped that someone who had been stationed with Paul at Fort Ord might remember something and come forward with new information, but this never took place, so after more than sixty four years, Paul Whipkey is still a missing person, and his disappearance continues to remain shrouded in mystery. So I guess you could say the path wait Chili.
Speaker 2: I think what we said earlier that this is just bittersweet. Yes, it's changed from a wall which is a disgrace to you, missing the line of duty or the acknowledging the significance service that Paul gave to the military. But when you start looking at this idea that you know you changed it, but we still have no explanation for what happened. They never recovered a body. Where is he? It really does leave those open ended questions, just like a missing child would do, or a missing family member under any other circumstances. Is he still alive? You know, did mental health cause him to wander off, but that he didn't know where he was or who he was, or you know, doesn't understand who is what his identity is at the time, or did he go on a CIA mission and had to change his name and go into witness protection. Your mind would wander so much that it would be devastating to say, what if he's still alive and he didn't call me. What if he missed our parents' funerals or birthdays or Christmas or the birth of my child and he's alive somewhere, and what if he's dead and alone and no one ever found him. So to me, this change of classification, it's incredible in the fact that he's no longer disgraced our military because he gave his life for his service. He fought to become a pilot, he fought to become a leader in his squadron, and things like that, and so you clearly know the military was important to him and he really did get exposed to things that why they denied it, I don't know why it wasn't in his records, I don't know. But everyone's aware that he served time with these nuclear testing sites and he paid for it with his physical health. So when you look at it, I want to know where he is. You want the family to have that body to lay at rest. You want them to be able to say, this is exactly what happened to him. We know for a fact, you know he's deceased or he's alive, And unfortunately they're just not going to get that. This was in the fifties, in the eighties they made significant progress, but we're talking about twenty twenty four now in a case, like Robin said, didn't receive a lot of attention. It's really frustrating as much as it's rewarding that they changed the status, it's frustrating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And even though un saw mysteries generally would feature missing persons cases from so many decades earlier, I know that in nineteen ninety one there was still a chance that someone who knew Paul or have been serving with him might still be alive and could come forward with new information that offered insight into what happened to him. But that never happened, and I think the chances of anyone who knew Paul being still alive in twenty twenty four are very remote, So I don't know if his family will ever receive conclusive answers, But it is frustrating because there are signs that he could have had a mental breakdown and just drove out into Death Valley and wandered off and died of the severe heat. But he also checked into a motel when he left the base, so it seemed like he had some sort of purpose, that he had a reason for being there. And there's a good reason to think that the army knew an awful lot, knew a lot more than they were letting on, and just refused to share with Paul's family. And I remember Carl Whipkey's on Saw Mysteries interview. He said that I will if we find out that Paul Lot died in the line of duty while serving his country on some sort of secret mission. That's okay, Well, accept that we like the idea of knowing that Paul died a hero like helping his country, but to not know is just so frustrating. And even if they don't want to tell us the details, at least confirm if he's dead or alive. So this would be a good time to bring an end to part one. So join us next week as we present part two of our series about the disappearance of Paul Whipkey.
Speaker 4: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon?
Speaker 1: Yes, The Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon if you join our five dollars tier Tier two. We also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on The Trail Went Old's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon and if you join our highest tier, Tier three, the ten dollars tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsawd Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 4: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jewels and Nashty patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Path Went Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very mini, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those. So we hope you'll check out those patreons.
Speaker 3: We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 1: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or to rate and review is greatly appreciated. You can email us at the Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwink. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and chili pass call for warm clothing.
Speaker 3: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy