Speaker 1: What's up, everybody. Welcome back to Crash Course Pod. I'm your host, and today we're diving into the career of a man who was so productive in the eighties the irs probably thought he was three different people. We're talking Genesis, the solo peak, and the gated reverb sound that changed drumming forever. But before we get into it, I would like to thank you guys for tuning in to this episode and the last one and the one before that, specifically the Stevie Wonder episode. Loved the participation on that episode. Thank you guys so much. Again, I can't say thank you enough. However, I did want to add a little bit of music head knowledge to that Stevie Wonder episode where I had talked about his collapse, and I briefly talked about the one with him and Beyonce with their still amazing and all start tribute to Luther Vandros. But I completely forgot about the twenty twenty four Cowboy Carter album where he didn't sing, but he played his signature chromatic harmonica on Joe Lene So yeah. Beyonce officially thanked him for the contribution during her twenty twenty four iHeartRadio Music Award speech and that's the same time he actually presented her with the Innovator Awards. So I wanted to say that because I forgot to mention it last episode, and what better time than now. So yes, let's get into this episode while we're talking about disclaimers. Did you, guys, guess who we are talking about. Most people know him as the guy who sang the Disney songs or the man behind the most famous drum phil in history. But if you're a music head, you know Phil Collins. It's actually a case study in technical brilliance and accidental world domination. So, in case you haven't realized it, in case you didn't see the title, we are talking about Phil Collins this episode.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: By the way, I thought about doing this episode maybe a week ago or maybe two weeks ago. I was thinking about this episode and it was kind of funny because it was good. Originally, it was going to be a juvenile, super childish episode because I'm a millennial. I know Phil Collins through Tarzan and we'll get into it a little bit later. So I wanted to do this episode, and Tarzan was my motivating factor. But I realized, let's not be childish. Let's not be juvenile. There are some music kids that know Phil Collins for his other work. So I ended up doing extensive research, and so I was thinking about doing the episode, and I think the next day it was his birthday. His birthday is January thirtieth, for those of you that don't know, he's a fellow Aquarius, such as myself. So today is the tenth. He just celebrated his seventy fifth birthday about a week and a half ago, around the same time I was thinking about doing this episode. So sit back, grab a snack, and enjoy. Let's get into the journey of Phil Collins. So we have to start with the nineteen seventies, the Genesis pivot. Phil wasn't the front man. He was the powerhouse drummer for the progressive rock giants Genesis. When Peter Gabriel left in seventy five, Genesis received about four hundred tapes and applications, but they only physically auditioned around like fifteen to thirty people. Phil was actually the one teaching the songs to those thirty people before realizing he was the best fit.
Speaker 2: What's wild is that.
Speaker 1: He didn't just fill the shoes. He changed the silhouette. He took a complex, cerebral progressive band and injected a sense of soul and pop sensibility for the music heads listening Go back and listen to the time signatures on a tray of the tail. Phil was doing all of that while stepping into the spotlight for the first time. You can't talk about Phil without talking about the gated reverb. It's the drum sound that defined the eighties. It happened by accident during a Peter Gabriel session for the song Intruder. Using the talkback mic on an SSL console which had a heavy compressor on it. Phil hit the drums and the sound stayed massive but cut off instantly. It was aggressive, sterile, and huge. When Phil took that sound to his solo debut, Face Value, he dropped in the air tonight it was over. He didn't just make a hit, He created a sonic template that everyone from Prince to modern synthwave artists are still chasing. In the air tonight, do you guys I feel callin a night? Ugh? I actually really liked that song. I have a friend that she was a musician, like heavy musician back in the day, and she was doing a cover to this song, and so this song will forever remind me of recording in her closet studio in the air. Moving on, let's talk about his worth ethic, because there's a level of productivity that's almost scary. In nineteen eighty five, Phil played live AID in London, hopped on a concord jet, flew to Philadelphia and played live AID again. On the same day he was producing Eric Clapton, playing drums for Robert Plant and turning out number one solo hits like Against All Odds and more. He was the ultimate session guy who accidentally became the biggest star on the planet. If I'm completely honest, for someone who values staying sharp and productive, looking at Phil's eighties calendar is enough to give you a contact tie. Now let's talk about my favorite part, shall we? Tarzan Deep Dive. That's bring of Tarzan. So in the nineties, the Disney formula was Broadway style. Characters would stop everything to sing about their feelings think Little Mermaid or Aladdin. Phil and the directors broke that. He insisted that the characters shouldn't sing because it would look silly to have a gorilla burst into song. And I second that I'm so glad they didn't have them do that. Instead, Phil acted as an invisible narrator. He sang for the characters from the outside. This gave me the movie a much more cinematic, adult feel for music heads. This was a huge risk that paid off. It kept his rock pop identity while still telling the Disney story. Now the flex is the multi lingual feat huge flex that every music head needs to know. Disney wanted to market the film globally, and Phil, being the workaholic, amazing aquarius he is, didn't just let translators take over. He recorded the entire soundtrack in five languages English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish. Specifically two dialects Castilian and Latin American. The catch he didn't speak any.
Speaker 2: Of those languages.
Speaker 1: He learned every single line phonetically. As a result, it's actually impressive. If you listen to him, it's actually him on the track in every territory.
Speaker 2: If you grew up in.
Speaker 1: Madrid or Berlin, Phil Collins is still your childhood and his pronunciation was so good that most fans actually thought he was fluent. This is something I love about Phil Collins, like just that alone. The dedication to the soundtrack and the languages, and how he still sounded fluent, like, I love.
Speaker 2: That about him.
Speaker 1: Disney didn't just hire him for ballads. They hired him because they wanted jungle rhythms, and who better than a guy who revolutionalized the eighties drum sound. If you listen to Son of Man, that's a masterclass in percussion drive. He used his background in Genesis style complex rhythms to create something that felt tribal but had a pop hook. He worked with Mark Mancina, the composer, to blend his massive studio drum sounds with traditional orchestral elements, creating a hybrid score that felt way heavier than a standard kids movie Impacts. You know, it was a brief moment when it was cool to hate on Phil Collins, but after that he went from uncool to legend. By the mid nineties, the cool crowd was turning on Phil, but he was seen as the face of corporate pop and Tarzan completely flipped the script. Like I said, people were trying to hate on him in the mid nineties. I think it's because he was everywhere at the time, but it was just an uncool thing to listen to Phil Collins to some crowds. When Tarzan dropped, he he made a fan out of the millennials for sure, Like he hit that millennial audience and tapped into that market. Maybe because it's amazing. He finally took home the Academy Award for Best Original Song, beating out likes of South Park and Toy Story Too. It introduced him to millennials and gen z. He went from being my dad's favorite singer to the guy who made the greatest soundtrack of all time. I'm telling you, guys, Tarzan. I didn't want to make this childish and just harp only on Tarzan. But I'm telling you, I didn't really know a Phil Collins until Tarzan came out. But before it came out, Disney was doing these series like this. There's promo basically on Disney Channel and they would take him in and then it'll be Phil Collins showing the behind the scenes of how he made Tarzan, Like you could see him with the pots and pants and just different shut it up, shooting up, don ind Like, I'm telling you, it was amazing, and I became a huge fan. I actually watched the movie Tarzan with tears in my eyes because the score, the soundtrack was so good, like it literally moved a child to tears with the artist Street and the music, I think it made the film like out of everything with Tarzan, I remember the songs and the soundtrack and the scores more than the actual events. Anyways, it proved he could still dominate the charts without a drum kit in front of him, though he never really left the sticks behind. So let's talk more about this Tarzan soundtrack and then we'll pivot off of it for a little bit. One last fun fact. You'll Be in my Heart was originally a lullaby he wrote for his daughter. It started as a personal, simple melody on a piano and ended up as a certified is it diamond? Is it a diamond certified global anthem? I think it's diamond. Anyways, So so good, you guys, so so good. I'm gonna actually create a separate episode and we're gonna break down this Tarzan soundtrack. We don't have time today, we're actually about to end. But yeah, next episode, we are breaking down the Tarzan soundtrack for sure. Anyways, Elton gave us the songs I want like from Lion King, but Phil Collins with this Tarzan soundtrack, gave us a cohesive, drum driven concept album that just happened to have a movie attached to it. And we've got to do another show simply on this. But before I let you go, here's a quick reminder. Phil Collins did all of this while dealing with the physical toll of decades of drumming. He was productive, he was so reminded, and he never let the Disney label soften his sound. He kept the kick drum loud and the bridges complex. So that's gonna do for this episode on Phil Collins, And if you haven't listened to Face Value, get you some headphones and give it a spin tonight. Thanks for tuning in, you guys, and have a great night. Bye.