Speaker 1: Welcome back everyone to the Game and Former Show, a weekly podcast covering the video game industry. Join us every Friday for discussion of the latest gaming news, reviews, and exclusive reveals, alongside Game the Former staff and special guests from around the industry. I'm one of your hosts today, Alex van Aiken, and today I'm joined by Marcus Stewart Heyding.
Speaker 2: Marcus feeling good. I feel like I've finally shaken off the jet lag being in in La. The La ness has washed off and has been replaced with my normal Florida aura. So we're back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good to have you back in your Florida aura. It does have a slightly different smell that that aura, but you know.
Speaker 2: It's like faint smell of key line pie. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's a good thing, that's how Yes. We are also joined by Brian Shay. Hey.
Speaker 3: Brian, Hey, I am very freshly back from LA. I was out there for eleven days, which is like a full while after SGF wrapped up. So I am very excited to be sleeping in my own bed, very excited to be able to catch up on all these games that have come out recently because I only litally switched to out there with me, so I didn't have a whole lot of time for like personal gaming because I was too busy playing like games that aren't out yet. But yeah, very much excited to talk about our new cover story that I wrote.
Speaker 1: Yes you did, and speaking of before we get into the show proper, I do just want to show off I'm pulling the that noise you're hearing, I'm pulling the wrapper off.
Speaker 4: This thing's fresh for me.
Speaker 1: But we are going to be getting into our Halo Campaign Evolved cover story a little later on. We are We are also going to be covering first the really unfortunate news coming out of Xbox this week, but stay tuned for later on. We are going to be chatting through everything that Brian wrote in this cover story, a retrospective that he also did. But yeah, I do want to say if you want to support us, the best way is to pick up a subscription to Game Informer magazine. You can go to Gaminformer dot com slash subscribe and get yours ten issues a year delivered to your door. You can also find us on newsstands around the world, you know, literally Japan, Canada, Europe. We're in a lot of places. So if you see us at your local newstand, please let us know. Send us an email podcast at gaminformer dot com letting us know where you picked up your copy of Game Informer magazine.
Speaker 3: Posted on socials like share, Yes you found us, because we actually to corroborate that this is a worldwide thing. Like the only way to get print magazines of Game Informer that are not within the United States are these news stands. So Eric Van Allen and I were out in Warsaw for the Blood of Dawn Walker cover story, which is the one that came before Halo campaign evolved, and we made it a point to look in all these different bookstores to see if we could figure out where Game Informer was being sold. We found it in multiple bookstores within the Stockholm airport or no, it's the Amsterdam airport. I'm sorry, So Amsterdam you can find it in the airport at several of their bookstores on the magazine wreck So keep your eyes out.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 3: You never know where it'll pop up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. Well, yeah, and I just want to say thank you. We were always talking about please go pick up the magazine. I mean, it is important to us and is truly helpful. I do just want to say thank you. If you are a longtime supporter of Game Informer, you've been reading and subscribing for years or even months. Ay, if this is your first issue you're about to get. Thank you for being here, being part of our community and helping us keep the lights on. And thank you especially to the folks listening to this podcast. You are like our core core audience, and you know the fact that you show up every week, listen to our stuff, read our magazine work, it really means a lot.
Speaker 4: So thank you.
Speaker 1: Like I said at the top, we are going to be getting into some unfortunate Xbox news to start our show off with. So a lot of a lot of news broke earlier this week that Xbox is reportedly eyeing several studios to close. Ninja Theory is among those Compulsion Games double findals on the list. You know, several of those studios also reportedly are trying to figure out if they can, you know, negotiate to spin off or find a new parent company. You know, I think it kind of depends on each of those studios. They're all kind of having their own conversations with Xbox still to be determined if if Xbox will play ball with that, But they've talked about Asha. I think, you know, I'm not sure if it's been publicly said. I'm going to actually toss it to Marcus here in just a second, who's more familiar on like the details of everything. But it seems like there's like some sort of like Xbox reset happening behind the scenes. I'm not sure if that was a public statement or if that was a quote from an anonymous source from Bloomberg or game File. Both of those are are sources in our news stories. They've been breaking a lot of the news. But Marcus, I do want to send it over you to kind of give us a rundown. I know you have sort of a timeline, a rough timeline of like when everything started happening, what's been kind of coming out?
Speaker 4: Can you can you fill us in?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I get this really all started last week. It was on June eleventh that the message that you alluded to from Asha Sharma, and and also Matt Booty, who's kind of the what is he to see the.
Speaker 3: Chief Creative Officer c C C.
Speaker 2: So I don't like that acronym, the Chief Creative officer of Xbox. They both kind of wrote a joint email to the Xbox division that was then publicly published as an Xbox blog post, where they laid out plans for an Xbox reset that was meant to address sort of the what they kind of considered like the years of just like I guess, mismanagement or just like mistakes that the previous regime led by Phil Spencer sort of set them on. And they just detailed like a few steps saying, hey, just you know, we've been losing you know, our revenue has been declining the last few years. That needs to stop. The thing that kind of stuck out the most in regards to what is currently happening at the time of recording was them mentioning, Hey, you know that acquisition spree that we went on the last few years, that's actually over extended us, and and yeah, that's kind of one of the reasons we're in the position that we're in. They did not say straight up like and that's why we have to close a bunch of studios, but it did make people go uh oh, like the fact that they kind of yeah, dedicated that to its own bullet point probably doesn't bode well, and there's also been I don't believe they also state of this in the email, but this is something that did come out from reporting, was that there's like heavy implication of that they're planning another giant wave of layoffs kind of across the board for the Xbox division. That is not it's worth noting at the time we're recording, a lot of this stuff beyond the public letter has not been officially confirmed by Xbox or any of the affected studios, Like right now as we're recording, a lot of it is like they've kind of kept quiet about it, which makes sense because if it's if everything is to be believed, they are actively negotiating what they're going to do, so they probably wouldn't go out and say like, yeah, yeah, we are in trouble. Help. But anyway, So that went out last week on Monday, which was what June fifteenth, fifteenth, Yeah, it was so. Initially it started with Kataku writing a report that Compulsion Game specifically who is the developer of South of Midnight as well as A We Happy Few and Contrasts, that they were specifically in danger of being shut down and that they were allegedly negotiating some sort of like, you know, can you just spin us off or can we find another buyer? And that also that the employees had been given permission to start looking for new jobs. Like there were a couple of social posts from to writers on South of Midnight that they just said, hey, I'm looking for Newark. One of them was the senior writer who had won like a BATHHDA and a Peabody Award for writing on South of Midnight. Yep, so you know, again Compulsion is still yet to say anything, but it was it was very much like, well, something's up because why you know, I don't know that it was.
Speaker 1: That was good reporting by Rebecca Valentine and Ethan gatch Over at at the Taku.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, getting that scoop.
Speaker 1: And then like you saw, I don't mean to disrupt your timeline. But on top of the you know, we'll get to double fine shortly. But like they also made like a cryptic, you know, message with an emoji that was like the sweating like cry laughing sweating emoji like uh oh.
Speaker 3: It's almost like nervous nervous laughter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nervous emoji. But yeah, back to your timeline, Marcus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that after the Kentucky report came out. It was Bloomberg that then published a story saying, hey, uh, it's not just Compulsion, it's actually several Xbox studios and a specifically named Double Fine and Ninja Theory as being on the chopping block. And then that's when maybe a few hours after that at a Double find since that cryptic tweak, they're probably the only studio that has acknowledged this in any way. And even then, you know, it's it's a very cryptic acknowledgment. But like Ninja Theory and Compulsion at the time that were recording, I've not seen any like public acknowledgment of what's happening. I've reached out to Compulsion back when the Kataka report was the only thing going around, just to kind of check in and say asking for common They have not gotten back to me yet. And also I wonder because Bloomberg's report was written by Jason Schreyer, I think one thing that's gotten loss is that because those three studios have been named, it does say other studios, It's just those are the three that we know about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I saw somebody ask Jason Schreier, are there do you know of what the other studios are. And I think it was Shreier who responded, like, I've heard names, but I haven't been able to corroborate them, so it would be irresponsible to like share them and like potentially create panic, given like the subject matter of it, but also that you know that's responsible journalism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, But I mean, if you look at the if you've kept up with xboxes kind of insane roster of studios, like there's you know, I don't know if I want to even speculate on who it could be, but there's a few other studios in there where I would be like, wuld shock me if they were on that list, just.
Speaker 3: Well, look at the thing that feels even grosser than the stuff that we've already covered is that their other report. I forget who it was. It was either Steven Tatilo with Game File or Jason Tryer with Bloomberg. Maybe it was Rebecca at Kotaku. I don't know, but somebody had pointed out that with Ninja Theory specifically because you may recall if you watch the Xbox showcase, they revealed a new Senua game and people were very stoked on that, and the report came out that it was basically forced to reveal that because they wanted to get that out there for potential act quisition, Like they wanted to strum up, like drum up some some buzz within the industry in hopes that's that would increase the interest from potential buyers, which you know, this was at, by the way, the Xbox fan Fest that I was in attendance for. So it feels gross to leverage the Xbox fan Fest to to you know, try and be like, oh, well, somebody buy this studio that we just announced a new game for so we don't have to shut it down. I don't know, just just all of this doesn't sit right with me, especially since I also had a conversation with Matt Booty that Sunday, So like about a week and a half ago, I had a conversation with him and I pressed him on things like the closure of the initiative, which you know, they were working on a perfect Dark reboot, and pressed him on like, you know, what are kind of the pros and cons that you've seen from this acquisition spree, and he just pivoted to kind of like, oh, well, you know, I look at all the ip that we own and like that is just amazing, how many you know, how many I have sold X million number of units? But he never got around to what the cons of that were, and even when I mentioned like layoffs, like it was just kind of like this evasive response. And then literally less than a week later, I think it was like three days later is when all this news started breaking and you know that letter that he and Asha had co sent out to everyone, it was it was just like, man like, it was just it just felt kind of you know, I know, he couldn't go into it that much, but like when I asked specifically about that type of stuff and like the over extension, it just it felt kind of like, you know, disingenuous executive speak in a lot of ways. And it turns out it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and to credit the report that you mentioned, that was actually a Steven Ttello Okay writing for a game file is a new letter about the the Sonua story specifically, which again we have not you know, that was per an anonymous source that to Tello had, so we again we don't know for sure, but thats been making the rounds. Yeah, I mean it it's it's it's wild right, And it's kind of what I think a lot of us kind of had, or we're afraid of, kind of in the back of our mind when they first started buying up these studios left and right. Like I feel like Vinnie Caravello over at Next Lander, I feel like he always had a He articulated the worry the most whenever this came up in conversation, where you always talked about how he was just so afraid of, like when we have so much under one umbrella, like so many studios under one umbrella, Like if something happens with the ship, all of those passengers go down with it, and it's just like it gets scarier with the more studios that they buy, because that's like another like again, if they hit an iceberg and they have to bail out, it's gonna be those studios. So it's it's like always made him like uncomfortable every time he bought another studio, And I've always kind of had that fear too, So to kind of see it being realized, on one hand, it's not entirely surprising, but it's still just like, oh geez, And it's like the studios that would probably be the most in danger are the ones that are more the prestige studios and not like like like Double Finds probably like the prime example of like you buy Double find for the prestige of their games. You do not buy them because you expect them to ship a game that's gonna sell one hundred million copies. Because that's just never been That's just not the kind of stuff that they make, right, And to suddenly expect that out of them is insane, Like why would you be surprised if their games are like, oh, they're great for reviews, but they're terrible for your your balance sheet generally. So it's it's.
Speaker 3: It's I think the hope that they had was like, Okay, well we have you know, Treyarch that can make Call of Duty, and we have Halo studios that presumably will sell very well when they put out the next Halo game.
Speaker 2: And we have Bethesda.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bethesda, that's you know, whatever the Elder Scroll six comes out, it's gonna sell a bajillion copies presumably. And the hope I think that they probably had was like, that'll balance out these kind of like more prolific but not as profitable, like kind of art house studios that put out these smaller games. They don't take like, you know, fifteen years to make their next title. They're able to put out these games like in some cases multiple games a year, like Obsidian right where it's like you just get several games a year from some of these studios. They're not like selling like gangbusters in most cases. But like the hope is that when these giant tent pole franchises like the Halos, like the Gears, like the Elder Scrolls and the Fallouts and the Call of Duties, when those come out, they kind of you know, the the Rising Tide lifts all ships, right, that's the hope. But they just haven't gotten a lot of those those kind of major tent pole releases like Elder Scroll six has been in development forever, and the same thing for like, you know, the Halo franchise. We got Infinite It didn't do as well as I think Xbox hoped, but like we're getting a new Halo game, but it's just like a you know, it's a remake. It's it's not necessarily the next like like major innovation in the franchise. As positive as we are on it, we are going to talk about that later on in the show. But like they a lot of their major franchises have been absent, aside from something like Call of Duty, which continues to turn out the annualized entries. And I would say that, you know, Call of Duty, as popular as it still is, doesn't have kind of the excitement and the fervor surrounding it that it once did back when, like you know, the original modern warfare games were coming out, where it was like, okay, Call of Duty. Modern Warfare is like the pinnacle of gaming back then. Now it's just like, oh yeah, there's another Call of Duty. Obviously, there's like a very dedicated player base to that franchise, and they love jumping on for war Zone or comp multiplayer and all that stuff. But all of these these confluence of events where you know, some games, some franchises just have been absent for over a decade at this point. I mean, it's been how long since we've got I mean, Skyrim came out in twenty eleven and we've just kind of been living off of ports of that game for an Elder Scrolls Online for you know, twenty or fifteen years now, and then you know, Fallout. We've just had seventy six and then remasters of Fallout four, but like, I mean, they haven't had those tent pole franchises to fully booy those more kind of like art house slash, independent facing studios that just don't make the money that they the other ones do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like Ninja theory, Like Ninja Theory is probably the one I'm the most sort of like, Yeah, I guess it makes sense because to your point about them taking forever to put out even the games that are guaranteed to make money, they took forever to put out that help late sequel like that was in development for years and years and years, like that was an wasn't it announced before the Xbox series X or it was like at the announcement.
Speaker 3: For it was alongside it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then it only came out what like two years ago, and that just felt like, looking back, that was probably a lot of time and money for something that I don't know how well that game sold, but I I would wager to guess it didn't like make Call of Duty money or anything like that. So it's like, oh, we gave them this long leash to make their artsy game that you know, Wow, Like was it worth how much time? That we kind of allowed them to have, and do we want to do that again? I mean, Sunwa's coming out next year. I mean, you know, on paper, we'll see what happens. But yeah, I just it just seems like ever since they bought Act Division specifically, that's when because how much money was that It was like the largest acquisition, like not even in video games. Wasn't it like ever it.
Speaker 1: Was dollar right?
Speaker 4: Yeah it was Yeah.
Speaker 1: Was it like was it like eighty billion or something?
Speaker 3: Seventy five point four billion dollars?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, Like they spent all all that money buying Activision, And I think that like that felt like the moment where like the eye of like broader Microsoft turned its gaze towards the Xbox and was like, whoa, what do we what are we spending? How much are we spending on this? And maybe began to scrutinize them more than they had before because that is a lot of money and like, well, how are we going to make that? How are we going to justify that investment? And then it what have they gotten out of it so far? I mean you know it's like did they and we were saying that at the time, like do they need Activision Like that seems like a bit much to me. That felt like the moment where they felt like they had actually overextended themselves.
Speaker 3: Right, oh, like definitely, and then put out that whole like trailer where it was like announcing it and it had like the war of Warcraft orcs coming out and being like home and then family, and then like immediately proceeded to lay off a bunch of them, Like I think it was like less than a year later, they had sweeping layoffs of like several people at Activision and Blizzard. It was like this was a year ago. They're you know, saying welcome home to Xbox and your family now, and it's like.
Speaker 2: And then he also said like everything's gonna be more or less the same, which is always like that literally can't be true because it's not the same.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, it also makes me specific with Activision, makes me curious, like what's up with the the like new Triple A game that Elsewhere Entertainment's working on that was their new Poland studio. I I kind of want to look into that more. They're they're also like I've I've heard through the grape vine of some other projects under activision that are like exciting and new and some you know bringing back some older franchises, And I'm very curious like if that stuff is a lot of that stuff is like pre pro so it's like is that getting acts, Like where does that stuff stand? I don't know. It's it's really unfortunate, I think. I think, especially like the the Ninja theory stuff just really rubs me the wrong way, Like having having Senua in the showcase. Just two weeks ago, Jess cogs will over a game spot had a threat on Blue Sky kind of just like uh, speaking to the like conflicting nature of like these layoffs happen while you know, Xbox is throwing these like big lavish industry parties to like kind of impress the press and creators and stuff, and then behind the scenes it's like, oh, well, everybody's losing their jobs. It's just like it just doesn't doesn't look good, doesn't feel good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I'm terrified for those three studios well because like I don't want to see people lose their jobs. But also like just personally speaking, I love all three of those studios, like yes, generally, and.
Speaker 1: I also like one of my favorite studios of all time, like they are, Yeah, I think everybody. I think a lot of people feel that way about Double Fine and I think I hope they're you know, Ninja Ninja. I was gonna say Double Finds Peedic. Ninja Theory also has a pedigree like like these are known studios that have a reputation and have you know, dedicated followings. You know, people buy new Ninja Theory games. They buy new Double find games, even if you know the game itself isn't necessarily fully up their alley. Like I checked out every Double Fine game.
Speaker 2: You know, Ninja Theory made arguably the best Double may Cry and I will stand on that hill as a Double May Cry fan DMC.
Speaker 1: And I mean I'm not giving Compulsion Games the flowers it deserves. I mean I remember playing like we Happy few back back when that came out, and yeah, I thought it was a really interesting concept. And then of course we've talked about it from the top. South of Midnight came out, when people want pea bodies for it, I mean, it was just a really it was very reviewed, very well here at Game Informer, really creative new ip that like unfortunately was like the brunt of dumb like a and sless you know, online culture war because it started a black woman as a protagonist, like silly stuff like that kind of you know, it brushed up against that stuff, but I think the work stood on its own and like it's a really great game with like a very interesting and new concept, and it's a shame that like, you know, they're the ones, you know, the ones putting out new interesting things, are.
Speaker 4: The ones that are kind of.
Speaker 1: You know, being eyed as far as we know, you know, I'm sure others are as well.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, I don't know what happens because either they get shut down out right, which also, like one thing I forgot to mention in our timeline is that the verge On like reported based on their own source, that Nija theory has already been shut down and that they're actively looking for a buyer. So it's like it's like a weird thing of like shut down in the sense of like Microsoft as more or less said, we're done, but also leaderships looking around for someone to like them up. Again, none of this has been verified, but that's per their own source, so it's kind of like they're probably more than anyone else. Their status has kind of been more influx of like, so way are they even like do they even exist as we're speaking, like in a in a real sense or are they in like a weird limbo right now of like in between homes because it's I don't know how many of them could afford to just be wholly independent again, because the idea of trying to find a buyer in this market sounds insane when so much video game funding has dried up. And again, these aren't studios that are known for like bringing in like hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars with their releases. So who would with the limited amount of funding out there anyway, who would buy a double fine or a compulsion right now?
Speaker 1: Maybe like an Annapurna or a although that might be that might be a little pricey for them.
Speaker 2: Even because embracers, they're done embracing people.
Speaker 3: Same thing, but I would say for Crafton, same thing for net Ease, Like all these studios or all these these publishers have dialed back their spending dramatically. I mean, that's what happened with the developers behind Hi Fi, Rush, shoot Craft and Scoop them Tango Game Works. Yeah, they they were scooped up by Krafton after Xbox closed them down immediately following a critically acclaimed game called Hi Fi Rush, And now they're about to do the same thing with Compulsion. It sounds like and it's just like, it's insane that we can't like this is the main problem with the corporatization of an arc style art or an art style and art form, right, like it it can't just be something artistic, like you can create an award winning game, but if it doesn't make the profits go up, then you get shut down.
Speaker 2: And yeah, or if it does well like it was like, oh, by most people's measures, it does well, but it's not some insane number that you were like, well it needs to hit this even though it's like it's still fine, yeah, you know, and.
Speaker 3: You could still turn a profit. But if the forecasters thought it should do better and it doesn't, then.
Speaker 2: Why isn't a fortnite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's that's a whole other conversation with all the live service shutdowns that we've seen in recent years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or this year or this year alone, yeah, yeah, so yeah, a lot of uncertainty right now. Like I said at the time of recording, none of this has been like verified, there's no been enough official announcements of so and so being shut down. Our xbox is not put out into anything saying here, hey, here's what's happening. I think the word on the street and again I saw it somewhere at you know, so maybe don't quote me on this, but the word on the street is that by the end of the month something will be announced, like there will be.
Speaker 4: A because July is when they're you know, their new quarter.
Speaker 1: That's like, I think that's the theory or that's like the the reasoning behind that. That is, like a new quarter will turn over and they want to have all that locked in before the new one begins.
Speaker 2: So we might have to wait till like June thirtieth, which is seems a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially for the people at these studios waiting to find out the fate of their jobs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a lot of them have been again reportedly given permission to start looking for new work now across the board.
Speaker 3: To be fair, though, you never need permission to look for a new job.
Speaker 2: Let's know, let's be yeah, that's just what's going around is that apparently like everyone has been made aware of like you're not closed, but you might be. But you know, if you don't want to wait to see where what happens, you can go look. But yeah, to your point, Brian, I don't know what how they could enforce that if they weren't doing that on the on their round.
Speaker 3: Like I mean, there were times in the previous era of Game Informer where we were hit with a giant layoff and I put out on social media that like, hey, I might need something new soon hit holla at your boy and.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I appreciate my own private company is.
Speaker 1: Marcus.
Speaker 4: A huge lawsuit breaks out because.
Speaker 2: Of I started getting a bunch of applications for a vague job that I've not described at all. That is not real.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you get hit with a non compete like, uh break.
Speaker 2: Marcus Industries killed before it began.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, let's wrap our conversation on the Xbox Studio News here. We'll take a quick break, we'll come back, we'll talk to our Halo cover story, and then I want to talk about a little indie hide and seek game with a paintbrush called Mecha Chameleon. It's really cool. We'll be right back right after this. Look, we've all been there. You've got the angle, you've got the timing, but you still lose the trade and competitive gaming, milliseconds aren't just the stat they're the difference between a trophy and a GG next. That's why the team at logitic G just change the game again with the new pro x to Superstrike. This isn't just an upgrade, it's a total reimagining of the mouse click. It features the revolutionary HITS technology, that's the haptic inductive trigger system. They ditch the traditional switches for magnetic sensors that give you an up to thirty millisecond advantage. Think about that, you're literally clicking faster than the speed of human reaction, and the customization is insane. You can tune your actuation points across ten levels and even adjust the haptic intensity whether you want a crisp, sharp snap or a hair trigger rapid fire. The Superstrike adapts to you under the hood. You're looking at the Hero two sensor pushing a massive forty four thousand dpi and a blazing eight K polling rate at just sixty one grams with ninety hours of battery life. It's built to outlast your longest grind. If you're serious about climbing the ranks and valorant see US two or apex. This is the weapon of choice for the world's best pros for a reason. Stop playing fair and start playing faster. Go to logitechg dot com and Intercode Game and Former twenty five at checkout to save twenty five percent off Logitech G products. Just a quick note, some exclusions apply and the promo is non stackable with other offers. Grab the super Strike today. The winning click is finally here. Welcome back to the Game and Former show. Everyone, it is time to dive into our Halo cover story. Halo Campaign Evolved, written by one Brian Shay. Here, Brian, do you want to kind of run us through the top? What we kind of got to look at? Obviously? You and I played the three new campaign missions, which I thought were really good. Actually I was when I think I had written them off in my head as like, you know, just going to be some bonus content to like be the back of a box, you know, marketing point.
Speaker 4: And then we played the missions.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, no, these are actually very good Halo missions, and I was actually impressed. But do you kind of want to run us through?
Speaker 4: Obviously?
Speaker 1: You and I we flew out to Redmond or Bellevue, you know the Seattle area. It was Redmond, Redmond, they all they're all the same town to me. And we went to Halo Studios and yeah, I'll let you take it over.
Speaker 4: Take it over from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brian, can I can I lead you in with my rendition of the Halo theme real quick?
Speaker 3: I was hoping you would.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's a little because a little something like this, Oh that's Haylor, right, that's what Halo sounds.
Speaker 3: So that or the Hymn of the Faith from Final Fantasy X, they're basically the same game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a very good Garrett chance.
Speaker 2: They did come out the same year, if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 3: Yeah they did.
Speaker 2: You're onto something.
Speaker 3: Hey maybe they were both into Gregorian chants for some reason. But yeah, I mean, I do want to acknowledge the fact that we are going from a very jarring transition of you know, talking very negatively about Xbox as a platform and Microsoft and the moves that they are making to you know, this celebration of the cover. I think that the way I look at it is it is very hard to be excited about Xbox in this this exact moment. However, there are a lot of people under that umbrella that are doing very cool work, Like I don't think I would be like upset about, like you know, covering a double fine game, because people there are working very hard to put out very cool stuff. And I think that everybody on this call has, you know, looked at the news in horror at something that a previous parent company was doing and been like, oh God, I hope that doesn't reflect on me, And so I can sympathize with that, but also acknowledging that, yes, like Xbox as a company right now, it's a very complicated time for that company, and obviously Halo is the flagship franchise of Xbox, so it was a very complicated time to reveal this cover. But this has been months in the making.
Speaker 1: We were out we went out there what May.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like mid May. We were out in Halo studios. So while there are complications surrounding it, we are very excited about Halo campaign evolved. All the folks we talked at it, talked talked to at Halo Studios were very passionate about their work they're doing, and from everything we played and everything we saw, it it really seems like they're doing a great job. So just wanted to get that out there that we acknowledge that there are complexities about the timing of this cover story, but the project itself and the team that is working directly on this game seems very passionate. So with that prologue and that that preamble out of the way, yeah, we flew out to Halo Studios. We spent a full day in the studios, my second time visiting Halo Studios. Actually, I actually went out to Halo Studios in a Tober of last year for the pre reveal hands on event that they had with a bunch of like influencers and media people. We got to play Silent Cartographer back then, which Alex, you had a chance to play this time. So in addition to that, we've now played the three bonus missions, which is front to end of this three mission arc, and I think we came away very impressed, Like the new visuals are stunning, Like for people who are unaware, this is a full from the ground remake of Halo Combat Evolve to celebrate the twenty fifth anniversary of the Halo franchise. And you know, Halo was this franchise that really revolutionized what a shooting game could be on consoles. You know, I think that in the nineties it was the proliferation of the first person shooter franchise was largely isolated to the PC platform. We got GoldenEye, we got Perfect Dark, and I believe that was two thousand, but it was like I Quite Quakes, Unreal Doom, Wolfenstein, they were all quarantined on the PC, and I think a lot of PC players looked at Golden Eye they said, oh, okay, that looks cool, but like that's cute, Like we'll be over here playing the real shooters, right. Halo was the first one that really made everybody like take notice of like, oh okay, yeah, consoles shooters can be as good as a PC shooter and like they can actually, you know, do incredible stuff on the console. And you know, this is the game that that trailblaze that And now, to celebrate the twenty fifth anniversary, Halo Studios is rebuilding this game from the ground up. Now from what we've seen, it's a quite faithful remake, but all new visuals running an Unreal engine five. You know, the they told us that the the engine the original Halo Engine is running very deep in like underneath all these layers to try to maintain the feel of Halo Combat Evolved in Halo Campaign Evolve. But it's not to the level that it was with Combat Evolved Anniversary, where it's like you could push a button and it would switch between the two art styles. That is not the option here because they've actually reworked various parts of it. Like they've done things like quality of life, like adding aiming down the sites like ADS is in this, which you couldn't really do in Combat Evolved. There were certain weapons that you could zoom in a little bit, but like it was very much like you know, ADS was not really a big component of Halo Combat Evolved. Same thing for sprint. You can now sprint in Halo Campaign Evolve. There's also you know, they've made some of the arenas just a little bit wider to give you a little bit more space. They've made it so there's a lot more detail in some of the all the environments. But like in some things in particular like Silent Cartographer, they wanted to make that storming of the beach feel as epic as it did back in the day. But because like when you look at it now, it's like, oh, there's just a few enemies on the beach and that's it. Now they've made it so like it feels a lot more. Yeah, it's a lot more in line with what you would expect from a game in twenty twenty six. So there are modifications here and there, but generally, in talking to the teams, they were trying to capture the feel and the vibe of the original game and the intent. We hear about this with like the Star Wars, like the remasters of the original trilogy, where it's like, oh, this is what George Lucas intended, he just didn't have the technology to do it now. Obviously, the remasters of the Star Wars original trilogy are very contentious in that way. I think this is going to be a lot less contentious because the changes and the upgrades made seem universally net positive, right, Like, I did not see anything where I'm like, oh, I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: There's no sequence Mar's screening, no, yeah, And there's.
Speaker 3: There's not a real weird looking creature at Java's Palace singing with Terrible CGI in the Final Entry Return of the Jedi. So you don't have that level of like this is jarring, this is weird. There are new cut scenes, there are you know, re recorded voice lines. They had the principal cast of Steve Downs as Master Chief, Jen Taylor as Qurtana come back in and re record all of their lines, and I actually talked with them. I have a very long conversation that I think we plan on publishing the video version of in the coming weeks, so look forward to that. But like you know, they were kind of like, yeah, this is intimidating, Like we have like twenty five years of knowledge with these characters, and like Steve Downs was like I expected to never hear about this game ever again. Once I like recorded combat evolved, and he's like, one day I was at a friend's brother's house, like we were just visiting, I think it was in Florida, and I saw this. They were playing Xbox. All the neighborhood kids were gathered around playing Xbox and he looked at and he's like something jogged my memory. And I'm like, I think I voiced a character in this game. And they're like, ohh And he's like I think it was the main guy, and they're like Master Chief he's like, yeah, that's the guy, and he's like yeah. Within twenty minutes, like all the neighborhood kids had run home to their houses and grabbed their copies of Halo to have him sign it. And that was when he was like, oh, this might actually be something that sticks with me for a little while.
Speaker 2: I remember that was there for that I was in Florida. Oh okay, a moment for me. Yeah, you'll have it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it was a you know, it looks like they're doing all the right things, like all the gameplay feels phenomenal, Like this is like when you hear of like Okay, they're remaking this iconic game, you always worry like, oh man, how are they going to change it? Like even like I love the Final Fantasy seven remake trilogy, like I think that it is. I like it more than the original Final Fantasy seven at this point. Like, even as as iconic and beloved as that original game is, I think it's my preferred way of playing at this point. But every time I'm publishing articles about like oh, here's what you know, what we got out of our interview about Final Fantasy seven Revelation, there are comments that are like Oh, he's going to ruin it again, just like he ruined the last two. And I'm like, I don't get that sense at all. And I understand people are afraid of change in a lot of ways, but like that, I don't get that sense with remake trilogy whatsoever. Like I love everything they've done with that. This feels like it is the like as uncontroversial of a remake as could be. Like this is like, yeah, everything just looks absolutely gorgeous. They're not changing the whole bunch of stuff, They're not changing the story. All they're doing is just like basically modernizing every single component of this, retelling the same story that you know, and then also adding those bonus missions, which I guess could be the sole controversial element of the I guess the remake packages as in terms of like adding new content.
Speaker 1: Or I'm like, the new missions are the only reason I'm interested in a campaign evolved because you know, new graphics are shiny and all that, and that's cool, But like, I played this campaign so many times, but I found like the missions that we played, you know, centered around Chief and Johnson, and there's some new characters, well characters as well introduced you can actually see them. I saw people online asking about the magazine cover art.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately that spot some new characters. Yeah, that's the one thing we're not allowed to talk about. That and the end of the bonus missions, everything else they gave us free rein to talk about. But I was still very sensitive to spoilers and that stuff because I don't want to go out there and just give the beat by beat here's how the story plays out. I did that a little bit for the first mission, and then after that when you read the cover story or I posted the impressions actually on game Informer dot com, Like the full impressions that I included in the cover story, I posted as a standalone article on Game Informer dot com if you want to go check that out. But you will notice that I got very vague and like high level when I got to the mission, like the second and third mission, because.
Speaker 1: And it's a shame, because the second mission was my favorite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so cool, but I just don't want to spoil it because I think that it's so cool that I want people to be able to experience the story for themselves, not just me telling you, oh, here's all the story beats and you know, now you have no reason to really play it's.
Speaker 2: Not the ending. Can you play those new missions like without playing the like you don't have to play the campaign, the original campaign to unlock those are those new missions available from it.
Speaker 3: I think they're available from the start. They even told us though that they recommend people play them even though they take place I almost at one hundred, one year before the events of Combat Evolved. Even though they take place before the Events of Combat Evolved, they recommend you play Combat Evolved first because the newer missions are actually they consider them more difficult than the majority of the main campaign, which you know, there were some definite spots where I was like, oh, this is pretty tricky, Like there's they send lots of waves of enemies at you in these missions, and some of them are not in Combat Evolved, like we can talk about like the brutes are in these missions. And you know, there's different elite classes that you don't see in Combat Evolve that pop up in these bonus missions. And then of course there's the inclusion of the profit that you don't really see until Halo two that is in this So it really makes the world feel a little bit more alive. It's not just like, oh, we got to Halo two and now suddenly there's all these new characters that which is you know, kind of how it happened in terms of development. But like now that we can look back in the timeline and see that, oh, the brutes have always been here, it's just that they weren't involved specifically in the events of Combat Evolved, it makes it feel a lot more of like a this is a fleshed out universe. It's not just one that is building as the developers come up with new elements of how they can spice up gameplay in the next entry. So I do like that about it. The story is very fun. It focuses on Chief and Johnson, which you know if this is the point that the Halo Studios guys made as well. They were like, you know, if you actually go back and pay attention to the story of Combat Evolved, yeah, you get some Johnson, but it's not the full character that we later see in two and three. Like, so they wanted to have an excuse to flesh out more the relationship between Chief and Johnson, and they definitely do that, like they're kind of cracking jokes at each other. The dynamic is amazing. They also, you know, drop little easter eggs, like because it takes place a year before the events of combat evolved before Chief met Courtana, but they make little references like, you know, Chief is or Johnson is the one who has to open the doors, but he has to do him manually because he doesn't there's no Ai in there. So Chief even makes like a remarkable like can't this go any faster? And Chief Johnson goes, well, until we find out a way to cram an Ai into your suit, this is the best we got, and it's like, ah, okay, yeah, that's a nod towards Kurtana coming in a year. But little things like that also things that reference like the novels, And that makes sense because these bonus missions were written with the consultation of one of the novelists of the franchise or of the I'm trying to find the name of it here, but yeah, I mean it was a very fun story to follow, okay. Jeff Easterling is the main senior franchise story lead. He also headed up the story of this. But then Troy Denning, who has written multiple Halo novels, was a contributing writer and also consulted on kind of the lore of it and everything, so that it feels very true to the franchise. It feels very you know, steeped in the greater lore, not just with Combat Evolved, but just like the franchise as a whole, even going into kind of like a little bit of the extended universe stuff. So that was that was a cool nod. And then it ends this is a spoiler, but they've included it in their their media stuff ends in space combat, which is something that we haven't seen in Halo in a little bit. So that was cool to get to hop into a spaceship and fly out and and take on like a couple of space dog fights.
Speaker 2: Ye can't you do a barrel roll? I don't think so.
Speaker 4: You can.
Speaker 1: You can kind of go up and backwards.
Speaker 4: Not quite a barrel roll though.
Speaker 2: It was kind of like controlling the Banshees and what was a Halo.
Speaker 1: Two or Halo Yeah, you do the kind of swoop up and back around.
Speaker 3: There is speaking of controlling vehicles, they also have modernized the controls of the war Hog. Speaking of like controversial changes, but there is an option to change it back to the normal like the original like control style where you just kind of point the arrow in the direction you want to go. I think that they've mapped it to like where like the right trigger is accelerate, kind of like a modern vehicle would in a game that comes out today. But they understand sounds better probably.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm on the opposite. I I love the way that I've gotten used to. Maybe I don't love how the Warhog controlled, but it's what I'm used to, and so when that gets changed, it's like, oh, WHOA hold on. And I was also playing on mouse and keyboard, and so I was even more thrown because I grew up playing Halo on a controller. And yeah, it was it was a little jarring at first, but I got used to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this remaker sounds a lot like the way you're describing it. It reminds me a whole lot of the Dead Space remake, which that remake was extremely faithful. But the things that they did change were like they like they added side missions to it, the kind of flesh out the world kind of like similar to these other emissions that you're describing, but also the story things they did tweak were more just like well, we want to fold in things that were introduced like in Dead Space two and three and the novel, or like the movies, like now do we have like the benefit of hindsight for like, well, how can we make this feel more beautified? Yeah, Like they even went as far as the change like a twist towards the end, and it's actually better in the remake. It makes more sense than in the original version. So I mean that sounds exciting. Just like I guess that level of like faith over remake. We notice game is good. The things we are tweaking are probably things that you, if you're being honest with yourself, you would probably want. I guess the only like the thing that people are the most sort of like upset about is that it is just a campaign. It's not Yeah, there's no multiplayer and the campaign from what I remember, it's been a long time so I've ran through it, but like it's not like crazy long, And I think it's more like, do I want to pay however much money for just this campaign that I could finish and like a sitting, Probably that is fair.
Speaker 3: I mean I asked them directly about that, and they're like, you know, we really just wanted to focus on the campaign. Obviously, they're not going to like be like, yeah, a multiplayer was hard, We're not going to do that like that. I think that they're still hoping that Halo Infinite, which from all indications is in a very good place from a multiplayer perspective, will continue to be kind of like their flagship Halo multiplayer experience while they work on whatever's next. While this they did add you know, there's the two player split screen co op, but there's also four player online co op for the first time ever in Combat Evolved, which is not nothing. I mean, that's exciting. And they also had to adjust some of the encounters to make up for that, like making the arenas a little bit bigger and stuff like that. But there's also a remix mode, which they were just like over the moon excited to talk about that. Like we finished an interview and one of the guys was like, hey, can I can I tell you about this remix mode? Like it's super exciting, Like we're stoked for this. And basically what it is is you go into remix mode and like you know, how you find skulls around the Halo maps, Like as soon as you find two of them, you unlock remix mode, and then you can go in and play any level with these modifiers randomized, and it gives you, like, you know, all kinds of different like this will make it so that like you have these newer weapons that did not appear in combat evolved in this, so like you can have like the needle rifle or the battle rifle in combat evolved, or maybe all the covenant is replaced with flood, so like on you know, you storm the beach in a silent cartographer, instead of covenant waiting for you, it's flood, and like there could even be like a cosmetic overlay which makes it like all kind of like that fog that you get with the flood, like kind of like the scores everywhere. So that is something that's really exciting. And they're like they said something like there's like trillions of different combinations because this is also the Halo game that is going to have the most skulls, so there's all kinds of different things that also can allow you to introduce like newer weapons that were not in that, like newer enemies, like you could have brutes in Halo Combat evolve just like in in the levels like if you turn on certain skulls or like the randomizer aspect of remix mode seems super cool though, Like I'm I'm stoked on that, Like I think that seems like that's where the replayability will come. Where it's just like and I think that's also a very streamer friendly mode where it's like people just go in with like three co op partners and are like, let's just randomize Halo and see what it gives us, and like, you know, maybe you find you fight brutes, maybe you end up where it's like, yeah, you don't recover your shield or your health doesn't recover unless like you kill a certain number of enemies. Like there are different modifiers and I don't know if h how many of those are included in there, but there are different modifiers that you have to take into account of that like could be thrown at your way based on what yeah, what what the system gives you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 4: Gonna want to fall.
Speaker 2: Oh go ahead, Marcus, Like can you fight those like Crystal Rock Candy enemies from Halo four and five? Did they make the cut?
Speaker 3: They did not ever mention anything about Halo four or five and the original trilogy.
Speaker 1: Never I don't want to get too far into the skull discussion because we need to wrap up shortly. But one of the new skulls they had teased was like the Floor's lava Oh yeah, which seems like a really fun modifier where you have to like jump from like rocks and other objects to get to the level without touching the ground or you take damage, and it just seems like like a fun I actually, finnily enough. That's like the thing I want to play the most is like, can I make it through some of these like iconic levels without playing at how it's meant to be played.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're doing some really cool stuff with that mode, And I mean outside of just having like you know, we're coming up on the release of Star Fox. We just got the announcement of an Operainga of Time remake, and it's like we're also getting this Halo Campaign Evolved remake, and it's like all these games from my childhood, some of my favorite games, like Halo is one of the most influential games on my life and my love of this hobby and you know, pushing me towards doing this as a career. Starfox and Ocarina of Time are two of my favorite games ever, so like having kind of like like I'm always fine to go back and play them as they were when they came out in the late nineties early two thousands, but having like kind of like a definitive, modernized like kind of like best way to experience this in twenty twenty six that doesn't feel like I'm playing a relic from a bygone era. That's really exciting to me. You know. I know that people have problems with the Star Fox like reveal, with like the character models and the fact that we're just going back to Star Fox sixty four. I like, I don't have those problems. Like I think that they're great as homages to the original box art on the super famic Com where it's using the puppets, Like look at those box look at the super famic.
Speaker 1: Com Boxer Japanese box cover.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Japanese box art that uses the puppets that Miamoto created to model the characters after it is super faithful to those original puppets. So like, I have no problem with that whatsoever, you know, And I'm excited to see what the Operating of Time remake has in store for us. Like that is. That was my favorite game of all time for a solid twenty years until Breath of the Wild came out. So Halo Campaign Evolved is something I am super stoked on. I like playing it like made me really like fall back in love with this franchise, even though we only played the bonus missions and Silent Cartographer, Like it made me want to go back and see if I could squeeze in a Reach replay before Campaign Evolved comes out, so I can just kind of go chronologically through this franchise again and maybe just go all the way up to you know, three or four or whatever. I mean, I would not hate a full like franchise replay, and that's you know, that's a mark of a good game. It's like it you see this what they're doing, this remake, and it's rekindling all of these old memories that I had and making me want to get reinvested in this franchise that I've kind of fallen off of in recent years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's official. Boys, our childhood is cool again.
Speaker 3: That just means really old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent. Well that was our Halo cover story conversation. Of course, if we've had over to Gaminformer dot com slash subscribe, pick up your copy of the of the issue if you aren't already signed up, or find it in newsstands in a few weeks time. Before we head out, I do just want to highlight a game I've really been enjoying. It's called Mecha Chameleon, and you've probably seen it if you're on like gaming TikTok.
Speaker 4: It's like I've seen a lot of streamers.
Speaker 1: Pick it up and stuff, but you it's a hide and seek game where uh, the game mode I've been playing actually, funnily enough, speaking of Halo, it's very similar to Infection in Halo multiplayer, where there is multiple people hide and then there is one infected person that slowly eliminates people and they become infected. And it's kind of like whoever can be hidden and not found at the very end wins. But it's like that, But what if you are just like these featureless white cartoon stick figure creatures essentially like think of like a pedestrian sign and like a person like walking across the street in a pedestrian sign that's the shape of like the.
Speaker 4: Character you play.
Speaker 1: They're pure, like no color just white, textureless, and you can like climb and contort your body in weird ways. There's like poses that you can hit, and then your whole job is to once you find a spot to hide from the seekers who have shotguns, you then kind of freeze yourself in place and then you paint. You can use a color picker, like if you're familiar with like a photoshop or something like that, where you would like pick colors from the environment to match, and then you'd paint yourself to like blend into the environment.
Speaker 4: And it's super fun.
Speaker 1: It's also just like as somebody who I love like kind of art, and I've always been like, you know, a doodler, and you know I love, you know, making textures and stuff for h for various art projects. And it's like right up my alley because it really rewards you for like, Okay, I'm like my character is leaned up against like a black and white tile floor. I'm going to like meticulously paint in the checkerboard from the floor onto my body and I'm even going to add in like the like the dust flakes and stuff like if I if.
Speaker 4: I have time.
Speaker 1: And it's like really it's a really fun game. The other day, I was, I had a great I was like, I think I was like the last person to be found in the game, and I had like rolled my character up into a ball and placed myself on the top of like a horse statue in this level, and then painted myself to look like the marbled horse statue. And actually Eric van Allen was running and around me as a seeker trying to find me for like a solid five minutes, and the whole time I'm like right in front of him, and it's it's just like a really fun I think the game's like four bucks, four or five bucks, but I think, yeah, right now, it's it's definitely rough around the edges, but all the all the basics are there. It's like, I think you can play with like twenty people in your lobby. You can.
Speaker 3: The number one popular search on Steam right now.
Speaker 1: It's really good. It's really fun.
Speaker 2: And I was, I think you should clarify it. Despite the name, there are no mecha in this No, no, don't.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a very actually it's a very strange name because it has nothing to do with mechs or Gundam or Mecca in any form.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know why it's called Mecha Chameleon. I think they could have just like called it like Chameleon or Hide and Seek Chameleon.
Speaker 2: Mecca, like the Holy Site, which would be weirder they are not.
Speaker 4: No, it's not spelled that way.
Speaker 1: No, No, I don't. I don't know why it's named that. But yeah, it's a fun game. I definitely like wish that I have like a list of of you know, fixes I would like to see or additions to the game. I think some of the levels, you know, the objects you are very like organically shaped player like you're very round, and like the pose you get in you know, you're still like it's very clear that you're like, you know, there's a person there. And I think in some of the levels that are like filled with like very sharp edges and sharp non organic objects, it's much harder to blend in. And I wish that there was some different like if you could load in with like different body types or like different sizes could be fun, or even just like a wider array of objects in the levels. But yeah, it's for five bucks. I'm having a lot of fun. Literally, I'll go and play Dead Block for an hour before bed and then the like, I'll take thirty minutes and I'll play a couple of rounds of Mecha Chameleon and just to kind of wind down and then I go to sleep.
Speaker 4: That's been my my routine for the last week.
Speaker 2: And your.
Speaker 1: Exactly, Yes, yes, exactly, but yeah, that's a fun one. But I think that's going to do it for the episode this week. Thank you both for joining me. If you're listening to this, you want to follow us on social media. You can follow Marcus at Marcus Stewart seven. You can follow Brian at Brian Pcha, and you can follow me at It's Van Aiken on Instagram.
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, that'll that'll do it for the week.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. Thank you for supporting Game Informer and showing up to UH to hang out with us and and listen to us chat about some games. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 6: Have a good one, goodbye.