Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of December sixteenth, we're discussing the seventh episode of the new season of Shrinking. It is called Get in the Sea, which we thought in fact a metaphor, in fact was not. They do end up in the sea. Basically many of the principal characters yes trying to determine help Brian with his conundrum of oh, guess what you've been matched with a birth mother you're having a baby tomorrow. Oh and yeah, not very likely. But of course this causes a great deal of.
Speaker 1: Strife, panic, and soul searching on Brian's part.
Speaker 2: Yes, he wanted his nine months. He did not get if he wants this at all. He wanted his nine months.
Speaker 1: He wanted to be able to prepare, you know, start spiraling in the cute way that Brian does. And Derek two, who still has not quite gone on a date with Gabby but could totally go on a date with Keisha if he was so inclined. Yes, he's he's fond of using the term he got in the sea about something, and you assume that it's like some management term.
Speaker 2: Right, some kind of business jargon.
Speaker 1: Yes exactly, But in fact he gets in the actual ocean, which with his coworkers nevermind. But in this case, you know, it's shrinking. It's cool, it's fine. Yeah, they can do what they want. But the most hilarious part is that Jimmy's patient. Uh, the guy with the glasses, I don't remember what his name is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't even I'm sure he has a name, but they just call him.
Speaker 1: Probably Yeah, you would probably take that as, you know, just part of his lot people don't even know my name after they've seen me for a whole season. Anyway, he's the one who comes up with the answer, which is that to ask Charlie how he feels about it. And Charlie also doesn't want it overnight. He needs his nine months, right, So they happily I us turned down that kid, right. But I know the feeling of that though, is that if you're going to do this and you don't, you're told it might take a long time, and then all of a sudden, hey here right, you don't feel like you can say no.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know when we were before we got to going international adoption, we were with an organization that placed kids with special needs, and almost right away we got this referral for a baby that had some sort of mysterious genetic condition and they didn't really know what was wrong with it, but something was wrong with it. And I'm like, a baby, we could have a baby now, a little baby. We don't know.
Speaker 2: It's like a ticking time bomb, right, a baby.
Speaker 1: And so we you know, said okay, and then they said, oh no, we would never consider you for this. Why they send us the phone for this is over your head? Kids, pat pat pat.
Speaker 2: Was it some kind of a test to see if you I don't know, I mean have that own that way? Yeah, yeah, it was it.
Speaker 1: This was an organization. They may have sent the or a full out to a bunch of people. I don't know exactly how they worked it, but which may be the case with their adoption attorney too. But anyway, it's fraught, is what I'm saying. Yes, and you don't feel like you can say no, and you feel like you know this is a blessing. I should be happy even though it's not exactly perfectly the way I wanted it to be. Right, It's never exactly perfectly the way you wanted it to be. Maybe on TV it is being in Russia for a month wasn't exactly perfectly the way I wanted it to be, but it was okay.
Speaker 2: Well you were smart to uh to go for the two for one.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: No, Like, if you're going to be there for a month, you don't want to have to go back.
Speaker 1: That was my thought. It's like, if we get a kid and we bring her home, we're not going to want to leave her to go on another one of these trips, even if it doesn't take a month, even if it just takes two weeks, right, so we will take the two for one deal. Please pick her out a brother.
Speaker 2: All about efficiency, that's because parenting is a very efficient way to function.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, sure, but parenting wise. I thought it was amusing when Derek two, who was not even a shrink, says to Gabby's student Keisha, who's coming on to him, I'm not sure what your deal is, Keisha, but you should probably patch things up with your dad.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're always going to have daddy.
Speaker 1: On this shows. And then her face immediately falls and it's like, yeah, yeah, yes, that was quite funny. Yeah, that's uh could be the watchword for this show. It's always about bad, you know, always about dads. Yeah, and Sean patched things up with his dad, and look at him. He's doing well, he's seeing his friend, he's you know, enjoying the fine music of summer by the way, the very delightful wrap the summer does, which I don't know, can I can we say it on this podcast?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Let's just say cheater Bee is now a full grown song on Apple Music with lyrics that are quite not safe for work. It's just I think they just took the sample of her of the actress doing that, and then the rest of it is somebody else. But you know, look it up.
Speaker 2: If you dare.
Speaker 1: I like things. I could like to have access to things like that to horrify my children with. So listen to this song that's on the show, Mommy.
Speaker 2: It's a cautionary tale in case any of them it is, yes, to cheat with their best friend's boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Fortunately, I don't think any of their friends have significant others to cheat with, nor would they. But yeah, yeah, let this be a less But I'm happy that Alice and Summer made up. Yes, and Summer has a plan for allowing Connor to return to her and good graces, although not without some stress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's gonna make him suffer for a while first, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, And as Alice acknowledged, it was good dadding by Jimmy to help Alice realize that she's not the only one with problems and to think about other people what they might be going through. And then she quickly realizes that, oh yeah, Summer is I mean, I think we get a guess that Summer had a complex family situation. Yeah, just from the first time we met her, Right, this young lady does not have adequate adult supervision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is definitely clear.
Speaker 1: And then the plotline we've been dreading, yeah, finally comes along. From a parent point of view. It's good advice to say, there's not a secret I ever kept that. I didn't wish i'd told the person. Paul adds a F word there before person because this is shrinking. But I mean, that's good advice. Keeping secrets is always going to be a problem, and Liz absolutely should not have kept a secret. It's a secret from Derek, but it was still just excruciating to hear her tell him and to see how he reacted. And also, you know what another option is not doing in the first place.
Speaker 2: That's the better option. Well, and Paul did suggest that, but it would require a time machine, so that's the issue with that, she says.
Speaker 1: I think she says something like, is there another option? He says, well, we're getting close to space travel. Oh gosh, excellent, I mean, great work by Ted McGinley, just being so rightfully angry and cru crushed. Yeah, and also apropos of him using Cincinnati instead of Mississippi. What was it that Charlie used un lost the British version.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was like sugar plum fairy or something to have the just have four syllables. That's too long, I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was another one. We'll have to we'll have to figure it out. Yeah, and and recall it next week. But I should have warned you before I asked you anyway, Cincinnati's that's gonna be an interesting one. But oh, just asking asking about the kiss in that way to make it. Oh, oh gosh. I would have given anything not to have this plotline. Yeah, just awful.
Speaker 2: So and like, you know, it's not cool of Mac to be no taking advantage basically of her. I mean he can see obviously that she's struggling with something, and so yes, he just.
Speaker 1: I mean, you got to acknowledge super slick movement putting up the dog pictures. That was just right nice work.
Speaker 2: But U s ob Yes, but.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, that was a good call.
Speaker 2: It worked, Yes, it got you what you thought you wanted. Yes, but now you blew it up and write she'll she can't. She can't be coming back to that brewery and seeing her dog pictures anymore.
Speaker 1: I never want to see that character again. And yet like Josh Hopkins man, couldn't you just I don't know. Yeah, yeah, time travel yep, yep, go back in time and make it not happened. But there was a recurring theme in this episode of people seeing each other in restaurants. We had Paul saw Liz with Mac when he was going in for his coffee with his old patient, right, and so they had a cute little scene with the two of them and Liz in which she called them Statler and Waldorf. Yes, and and they both acknowledged that, you know, excuse us, but Mac is not just looking to be friends, as was in fact the case. And that's probably Lis new but.
Speaker 2: Well she did know because she made like as Paul said, she made it a point to come in there and explain herself.
Speaker 1: Which guilty, Yes, exactly, you know, Paul has their number right at the start, but and then later inde at the end of the episode, Yes, Alice and Lewis and Brian are eating and I guess the same place that Jimmy and his patient were in the morning. It's with long tables, because I think that's where he dropped him off, at the same place he Oh, okay, I don't know, but that would have been his anyway, Jimmy walks by this window and they happen to be sitting right like where you can see them clearly from the window, and so Jimmy sees them and is displeased, and they're all like, oh, we have to do something about this now. Alice has just said we really need to tell my dad, and hey, there you go, no need to tell. Saved yourselves an awkward conversation and set up another awkward conversation. Yeah, that's not going to go well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a lot of betrayal in this Yes episode for sure.
Speaker 1: But you know, Jimmy, maybe you want to consider speech you gave earlier in the episode about how sometimes you're not the only one with problems, right, and that maybe you should consider other people's problems and then you can reconcile with them. I don't think he's going to give himself that speech, though he needs to hear it.
Speaker 2: Physician, heal thyself.
Speaker 1: Exactly, Yes, and yet they so they so rarely do. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Mm yeah, that was that was tough to see, Yes, just the look on his face realizing what's going on, you know, and coming right after Liz confessing to Derek yes, you know, it was like, wow, this tough episode. It's okay, just kick.
Speaker 1: The guts out of a couple of people.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: But two completely unimportant and unrelated points. But the first one is I want to know if Damon Wayne's junior has it in his contract that people have to say he's hot in the handsomeness over and over again, could they maybe not meet his price? And so they said, okay, but we'll talk about you as being the most handsome dude in the world. Right, every line, every character will acknowledge your extreme hot list fatness, men, women, everybody. If there were children, they would go, wow, you're really good looking, sir.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean Keisha is almost a child.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right exactly. I mean, was he feeling down and they thought, come on, let's give this guy at a little positive attention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because actors need and he goes it.
Speaker 1: I also want to know how Liz knows about all of Gabby's old boyfriends when they just became friends last season and she was getting divorced at that time.
Speaker 2: Right, ask questions we've seen even Derek about all of her boyfriends.
Speaker 1: Yes, how did she like have a photo album? And here, let's talk about my love life. Look at this dude. I didn't always have bad judgment and dake guys like Jimmy, look at this guy. And also there was a line from Derek to where he says he met Craig from Craig's List terrible dude. Yes, And the actual person I assumed to be the actual Craig from Craig's List tweeted how do you apologize to a fictional character? And Bill Lawrence retweeted it or responded to it. I can't remember which exactly, but you know, use actual living people in your jokes, and sometimes it's wait a minute.
Speaker 2: It sounds like he took it. Okay, he did.
Speaker 1: He did.
Speaker 2: They're lucky if he did that. He said that about some other tech bros that wouldn't. That's true.
Speaker 1: It might not have gone so well. Oh well, So in other words, what we're saying is Craig from Craig's List not such a bad dude.
Speaker 2: No exactly, good sense of humor.
Speaker 1: That guy apparently so watches good shows, yes, good taste in streaming.
Speaker 2: Well, so we just have to hope that next week is a little more happy, fun sitcom question Mark today.
Speaker 1: Because it's it has no heavy weights from this episode to carry into next one, you know, right, Oh listen, uh, listen, Derek have talked it out. So that's all done. And I'm sure that Jimmy will understand that sometimes you just did a restaurant with people. What do you want? Right, it'll be fun.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll find out next week.
Speaker 1: What is the title of next week? Next so perhaps and we'll give a hint.
Speaker 2: It is called Last Drink. Oh so, I don't know that could have a lot of that has nothing to do with this these two plotlines. Maybe, So we'll see, but we'll return to that next Wednesday, and we will see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout roundup.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years,