Speaker 1: Well, let's see if I remember how to do this back inside here to get the desk and lighting. And I've even installed like new shelving since I did the lighting. I'm like, oh shoot, I got it. Readjust all this. We're back here. Anthony was asking like, how long has it been since you guys have done the show? Five weeks? Last time Jason and I did a show was week fifteen. CFL been traveling a lot with work and talking with Jason offline and obviously all the guys Anthony Miller, who scheduling knows is going to be on here today. Here are lots of CFL been tracking everything. Just I haven't been home on a Monday since whatever the last time I did it. So do the mat there. But we are back here, Anthony. I traveled up to the Homeland. I have my football Canada that had on. I did the whole thing this weekend. I really did think that we ended up not having time Friday night, but I was gonna post something that like if the Lions lost, I was gonna eat poutine because we've had all these things lately, Like you know, if MSU lose, is we're gonna eat dog poop whatever, I was gonna do that because I figure that's the closest thing Canada has right to know. I won't say that, but we have Anthony Miller, Anthony Howard, you ser hopping on here today scheduling issues. Jason couldn't make it all, but Anthony's here.
Speaker 2: I appreciating on Everything is good. CFL seasons coming to a close. We're in the final week, so playoffs are going to be interesting. I know we got some seating that we need to kind of figure out. But it's been a wild ride this season for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we'll do we'll kind of do a deep dive here, a little bit into, you know, just the weekend games. We'll do full play by play. I was at the BC Lions game, share thoughts on that, lots of thoughts on Nathan Mork and Brendan Adams and all that. I hung out with Farhan and Jim Mullen. I saw Blake, one of the other CFL content creators at CFL fan Fanatic. I think as the account saw them as well. I was, you know, taking care of as always by the BC Allions. We'll see here. Plan is in some form or fashion doing shows here. The rest of the time through Great Cup, like and subscribe if you're in tuned with that, we'll figure out what we're doing kind of off season. I know Jason and I have kind of batted back and forth of like that's kind of a lot of work right now. I've just been crazy busy. I haven't had time to think about it. But we're going to go lock steam here. So like I said, make sure you subscribe, applied everything for credentials. We'll see how that goes. Haven't been as active this season. They didn't get involved in whatever that partner program was. That's okay, that's okay, maybe next year, but we'll be there in some form of fashion Gray Cup. I know the BC Lions are going to play the SUP at Radio Row. I'm sure Anthony can call in. I know Jason's going to be there and Evan and I think Andy's coming. I haven't even gotten the whole lift, but we'll do all that big blowout. So like when subscribe, Anthony, you know you right if no one has tracked and I can't imagine him listening to this, hasn't tracked Anthony with everything at Sports Illustrated and Fandation and all that stuff. Extensive work covering everything. Make sure you follow his stuff off there in the thoughts here of the season, you know, Winnipeg still in front, Like what do you think here? I don't know if we've had you on one of these recaps, so kind of like bird's eye view thirty thousand feet, what do you think?
Speaker 2: I think the I would say the Winnipeg's been the most impressive team.
Speaker 3: I mean, you talk about a team that started two and six. Everyone thought Zach Klaris was washed.
Speaker 2: This was an offense that was could not get anything going in the passing game, even though their defense was still among one of the best. But they hunk tough and they were able to kind of ride out the season and now they're on top of the West Division and really one went away from winning the West Division titles. So I've been very impressed with what Winnipeg's done. Sasketchewe, I really think Corey Mays needs to be up for Coach of the Year. I think he's done a phenomenal job with the Saskatchewan team. This was a defense last year one of the worst in the league, and he was able to, you know, have him in the top four, you know, consistently throughout the season, the job he's done with you know, Trevor Harris, he has shown some improvement this season. Uh, this is a very balanced offense and defense between Saskatchewan and they've really come on strong here late in the season. So, I mean the West Division, I know the records don't really show like it's that great, but it's a it's been a really competitive division and I think there's a lot more talent there than we think. I would also say, like kudos to Hamilton. I really think this has probably been the best team in the CFL over the last month or I think on a they've won for the last five games. This was a team that you know, unfortunately they got hot at the wrong time, but you know, they've been super competitive throughout the last month or two. Bow Levi Mitchell has been great. He's kind of found a resurgence in his career. You know, a month ago I was called for maybe Bo to maybe retire at the end of the season, go join TSN and started his broadcasting career. But yeah, I mean he's he's shown to probably be the most consistent quarterback in the CFL and probably has bought himself another year or two if he wanted to play in this league. So it's a shame that Ottawa is in the playoffs because I'll be honest with you, I would rather see Hamilton in the playoffs because I think that team is better overall offensively and defensively than the Red Blacks are, especially since Chris Jones joined to do the defensive play calling. I know Eminton Elt fans are kind of still have their feelings about him, but he has done a lot for this Hamilton defense. I think they're allowing five or six points less with Chris Jones calling the defensive plays, and they weren't before him.
Speaker 3: So yeah, those are the teams I've been most impressed with.
Speaker 2: And you know, it's disappointed that Hamilton's on the playoffs because I really think they probably deserve it right now over Ottawa.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's I know we've Jason and I have talked about that before, both online and off of you know, it's a shame that Hamilton always seems to start so slow. I just because they really dug themselves so much of a hole here earlier in the season right to be able to come out and do that now. And like you said, with Ottawa and we were tracking what was that the earlier in the game Saturday when I was trying to get Yeah, we were getting to the BC Lions game and all that, and we had it up on the phone. I'm like, uh, you know, for a game that really could have got you home field advantage here, you know, you they do really well at home right kind of support their fans really came out laid egg. I know it looked closer at the end, and we'll talk through all that, but yeah, I really felt like Ottawa I had a lot of momentum there for a while, and then, like you said, with Saskatchewan, you know, really started hot right well were they four and oh five and zero? And then really, you know, Trevor Harris, kind of the injuries, all that really kind of slumped and they're really the resurgence here to hold on the second place. I mean, I know a lot of people aren't very high on BC's chances going in there and trying to win and then go to Winnipeg. I guess we'll kind of do a playoff preview later, but thoughts on that, I mean, how much better do you think Saskatchewan is in BC right now?
Speaker 2: I mean, defensive way Saskatchewan is better than where BC's at. I think all season, like the Lions have good individual players, Like I know TJ. Lee has been kind of in and out of the lineup, but I really think him and Ben that linebacker or like two of the you know, they're two of probably the best players on that defense.
Speaker 3: But that secondary is an absolute mess.
Speaker 2: I mean that that defense has been prone to allowing big plays all season long, and it's really hurt this BC team.
Speaker 3: Especially Like even at the beginning of the.
Speaker 2: Season when Verdon Adams and that offense was really rolling for them, they still had a lot of issues on that defensive side of the ball. And you know, they could have done probably a lot more in the offseason to kind of offset that, but they just didn't do enough. And I think that's what's ultimately going to cost them, is that they just don't have enough playmakers on that defensive side. And even with Matthew Betts, Like Matthew Betts has actually been disappointing. He's only had one sack in the last what four or five games that since he's returned to BC, Like he hasn't really been an impac player. Like I'm sure the Lions were hoping for it, so they you know, they they they were too late on making the moves they need to with bringing in Nathan Urick and Matthew Betts because those guys I haven't really played as well and they spend all this money on them and it just hasn't really recuperated for them.
Speaker 3: So they're gonna need to do a lot.
Speaker 2: Of work in the offseason because I'm not sure what their chances are at this season with the talent they have well, and BC.
Speaker 1: Is really that I don't know. I want to do a deep guy here in a minute talking all this and Nathan and everything else, but yeah, you wonder, at what point is it kind of a sunk costs And you know, you're hosting the Great Cup and you're doing all this and you're spending all this money. But I mean, they're setting this stuff up now, especially with Nathan's contract, you're going into the next two years, and if you couldn't done now, and you couldn't get it done two years ago, and I know Nathan was sure, but if you couldn't pay Nathan fifty thousand dollars and have all Star wide receivers around him and now then you're gonna be paying him the highest paid player of the league, and then you're still wanting to replicate that, Like I just don't know. I mean, I talk about disappointing for the Lions, and I've told Jason offline, you know, we were doing podcasts every week the last month. I probably would have gotten in trouble with things I said, just of how upset that I've been about it everything, and it's it's really been disappointing, and even talking and I won't say names, but we went to far Han's party. Far Han, a friend of the show, got inducted into the BC Football Hall of Fame with his after party talking with some of the people from the team, and I was like, oh, what do you and like they didn't even really want to talk about anything, and you know, like, well, you know, we're kind of okay, Like this feels like this is kind of a cluster right now. And I was just kind of interesting to kind of get the feedback on that in terms of I guess where do we want to start do we want to start with? I guess we'll go chronologically through here Bo coming back in playing the game of his lifetime. Here I guess right, big Bo revenge game. What did you make of that? We don't need to do a super deep die, but really, I mean Bo looks like the best quarterback in the league right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a good revenge game for him, especially since Hamilton lost to Calgary at the beginning of the season and both didn't really look back great in that game. So this was a massive bounce back for game from especially since a couple of weeks ago Hamilton got the lights knocked out of them by Winnipeg, So they really needed this one to kind of build some momentum into going into this final week and then building Really for them, it's about building momentum going into twenty twenty five and trying to figure out what pieces they have because I'm sure this, I'm sure Hamilton about you know, since you since the last time you were on Hamilton was a mess and it looked like Taylor Powell was going to be the future quarterback of this franchise. Now they're probably thinking, well, maybe maybe we have one more season with Bo because he's looked like the most consistent quarterback in the league. Yes, he's had his off moments, but this was probably his best game of the season. You know, he had the He did have the one ugly floater that was intercepted for a pick six at the at the end of the second towards the end of the second quarter, but really outside of that, he was lights out. And then I mean ton of critic to Greg Bell one hundred and thirty nine yards rushing for him. He had, you know, James Butler's been kind of oddly in and out of the lineup. Greg Bell has been a great complimentary piece for them. The two of them combined make for a really good running game, and I think that's what's really helped Hamilton in this backstretch of the season is that they have a really balanced attack between you know, running the ball and passing the ball, and then again defensively there this is a big improvement for them. I think twenty points might be the lowest amount of points they've allowed, more one of the lowest points they've allowed all season. I think major credit has to go to Chris Jones for the job that he's really done with the defense, and I really think he's earned the right to if they wanted to make him the defensive coordinator for twenty twenty five I think he's earned that right. But also it's a telling sign for Calgary. I mean, what a disappointing season has been for Calgary and what a downfall for this franchise. I mean, this was a franchise that hadn't missed the playoffs in what twenty years since two thousand and four, and now they're, you know, the worst team in the CFL. I mean, there's gonna have to be a lot of questions about Dave Dickinson and if he should be even keeping his job. And if he does keep his job, he may be like Chris Jones and he'll probably be on the hottest seat in the CFL going into the next year. So I think it's this game was more about how much of a mess Calgary is versus how good Hamilton is, because I think people already knew that like Hamilton and has turned the page over the last month. But it was more about can Calgary be competitive against team that's out of the playoffs, and clearly they showed they have a lot of problems.
Speaker 1: To them well, and that's the I the issue. I mean, there's many issues with the CFL nine teams and the playoffs and all the things and the divisions all that stuff, but talking and when we were up in Vancouver, Evan was there as well, you know, front of the show, and Evan was traveling today or I think he would have tried to pop in as well. But you know, when you have six teams make the playoffs out of nine every year, you know, to use that as a benchmark of success is interest, you know, is I don't know if that is the right benchmark. And we've had Brian Valentine on the front of the program and you know, with three down and writes for cal you know about Calgary and all that, and like even last year as well, you know, but we did make the playoffs. Go yeah, but then you get bounced immediately. That doesn't it doesn't speak to me a success. And like if you said in here, seeing them, you know, regress even more this season. You know, they really didn't do anything last year except kind of just further extend maybe some of these coaching stuff some things into this year, as you mentioned, kind of the hot seat there. But it just seems that I don't know, like they didn't look good last year. You kind of eke in and your cure is kind of the long term decisions of that same with Hamilton, like Okay, Bo looks good. Now we're were really get to devote another year to him? Like statistically you would say probably right, and I think he's the past five thousand yards And I like that kind of the social media they clip how to him, like how did it feel to beat your former team? He's like it felt really good or whatever he said. And I like seeing some of that personality because I think he's kind of been drug through the ringer here the last few months and years is kind of with the injuries and stuff. But I don't you know, you get these late season kind of burst and then okay, do we you hold on to that promise to next year? I mean we saw like I was just watching first take talking about the Jets and things, and you know, okay with Aaron still you know, got hurt last year. Okay, we hold on that faith againto next year. And then it's kind of a dangerous situation when you're putting in you know, you're kind of planning the year out of these things and you'll know where they're going to come about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I mean last year they went six and twelve, Like even if they made the playoffs, It's like that's not even a good record, Like that's one that's the worst record they had in over twenty years. So it's like that that doesn't I mean, yes, they made the playoffs, but I don't really think that.
Speaker 3: Should count for anything.
Speaker 2: Like this team has been a decimated mess since bo Levi Mitchell left.
Speaker 3: Like Jake Mayer was supposed to be the guy.
Speaker 2: I I don't even know if you bring him back next year. I think they probably do, just because you know, Dave Dickinson ends up you sticking around as a head coach. They need to have somebody who's familiar with it.
Speaker 3: But PJ.
Speaker 2: Walker is gonna come in there and compete. I think he could be the guy who ends up taking this job. But Calgary has to do something about quarterback because that's where they're the biggest mess right now. Like Ddrich Mills, I think it's perfectly fine as a running back. He's top five running back in this league. You know, they have some good receivers on that team. You know, overall think offensively they have some of the pieces there. They just don't have a quarterback. And obviously Matthew Schultz is not the guy. You know, they brought him in the beginning of the season. They brought him in the offseason thinking he was gonna push Jake Mayer. That that didn't really push the needle at all. Even though I think Jake Mayer played better this year than he did last year, I still think like the quarterback position is something they got to take care of. So, you know, do they bring someone into the off season, you know, maybe Verim Adams if he ends up being available, do you bring him in. You know, they have PJ Walker, who's good, I think legitimately going to be the guy who's going to push Jake Mayer, and I think it's better than Jake Mayor. So I think that's where kind of Calgary stands. They need to figure out who their quarterback is next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I like that for PG Walker and we've talked about that. What was that a week or two ago he got added on there and obviously kind of late this year. I don't know if we see him elevated to try to get him any sort of whatever before the end of the season. But Calgary needs to figure it out. And I'm curious, like you said, with the hot seat there, you know, we'll we'll talk lions here in the minute with you know, Rick Campbell and all that. Like, you know, the CFL isn't a kind of reactionary as the NFL, where you and maybe the NFL is two reactionary when you look at like David Temper or things like that out like okay, you're out, you're out. We need someone else needs and us where Like I don't know if if BC wins one playoff game, do we keep Rick back next year after all this? Like I and we'll talk. I don't know right in this, like do we have other options here? Is there a big waiting list of people that want to show up to be the Calgary Sam Peters head coach? Do we elevate someone with BC? Ryan Phillips looked like he was kind of you know, coaching his way or coordinating his way into being the head coach BC defense. You know, I wouldn't put him on a high list right now. So I'm curious where we go with that where it feels like it's not complacency, but it's like well whether I mean, I guess it is, because like there'd be a lot more work to try to figure out someone else here like, I guess we'll just try to work with what we have.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think both with BC and Calgary situation, you need somebody who knows offense. You need somebody who could be able to develop a quarterback because you know, with BC you have all the pieces of place. I think the offensive line is to miss. You know, the defense needs to add some pieces. But you need somebody who's going to come in there and fixinate the Rourk because ultimate the end of the day, he's probably gonna end up being the starter in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: And we'll talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 2: But Calgary same thing, like, you need somebody who knows the quarterback position and can bring either bring someone in or you develop Jake Mayer or you develop PJ. Walker into that starter. I think with Walker, you I don't think you bring him up this year because you know, kind of like Hamilton with Tulio Taco Viola, you don't want to put someone in there right away that comes from the US game and try to learn the Canada game. It's just it's just too complicated. You need to give him more time to learn it. So I don't anticipate PJ. Walker playing this year, but he should compete for a starting job. And I again, I don't know if you bring in Jake Mayor, I think you maybe go to the free agency, maybe find somebody else. But right now, with the quarterbacks that are on the roster, I would definitely be wrong with PJ.
Speaker 3: Walker. I think he's quite far the best option.
Speaker 1: Well, and he's you know, it's kind of that last gas for him to the kind of show. And I think he's right at the edge of like maybe affecting this and just getting old and you know he's a little bit mobile as well and being able to do all that. I just I don't know, I know that I think it was earlier this season they had batted around maybe it was Naylor someone like, you know, the kind of the QB college like kind of coaching thing, similar to like how the the XFL would do with James Palmer right going in there and bring it right, am I making up all this in my head, like, oh.
Speaker 2: Jordan Palmer, Yeah, Jordan Palmer, the development of I don't know, some development, quarterback development or something like that.
Speaker 1: But they were talking about that, like doing it with the CFL as well. And I remember when Naylor was on I think it was two seasons ago we were talking USFL. He's like, well, it's so hard to come into the CFL and it really takes you three four years to kind of really get into it, and it's a really hard game to learn. It's really hard to get used to, you know. Yeah, like you said, okay, so we don't want to throw PJ in there, but like, if you have this program where you could work with people in the off season, right, if you you get PJ and you get two of you know, Tooya whatever, I can never say these things, but you'll get these guys in there and kind of be able to develop them. So maybe it won't take you five years to be a starting quarterback in the league. Yeah, maybe you can do it in two years. I just I think we need to see that next progression of these quarterbacks is like you said, kind of shuffling around. We do keep Mayor back. I think we've seen everything we're going to see from him. You see a spark, you know, two out of every seven eight times, and then the rest of it is just kind of a mess.
Speaker 2: Well, the league I think needs some kind of coach to develop quarterbacks, especially in Canada. Like if they really want to they you know, Canada loves trede Ford, they love Nathan Worke, they love their Canadian quarterbacks. So I think if the league really wants to take the quarterback position seriously and try to develop like homegrown guys, they definitely need somebody like that just for Canadian quarterbacks. Like I remember covering the CFL draft this year, there was only like two or three quarterbacks that actually went to the combine, like they they didn't have really any quarterbacks coming in there, and that's a position that I think is in desperate need of an uplift, especially you know, from the homegrown side of it.
Speaker 3: So I think if you really.
Speaker 2: Want to push for you know, to try to get better quarterback developed, the people that were within your country already, get get more Canadian quarterbacks in there, because right now it's the majority of it is Americans, and you know, it may take them a little bit to ramp up, but it's just a matter of fact that most you know, American quarterbacks are just playing better in the CFL than Canadians, and it's just because of how they're developed, you know, going up in the rankings of high school and college but the CFL desperately needs it if they want to get more Canadians in this league.
Speaker 1: Anything else, Calgary, anything else, Hamilton here, I kind of end of the season for both of them. I do want to talk anything else with them before we kind of move on to some of these other teams.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I mean, I'm just impressed with Hamilton. You know, they got a really interesting game to close out the season against to Ottawa. I think they have a chance to really prove that maybe Ottawa shouldn't be in the playoffs, it should be them instead. So I think for both teams, they need wins to close out the season to kind of build some momentum. I think probably more Calgary than anything. I mean, they haven't won a game in what two months, probably, so they desperately need to get some kind of win on the board so they can have something to celebrate over the off season. So now, very impressed with Hamilton. This is a really good football team and I think they're better than what people think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got to come in here. I see if on need to focus more on U sports Kibis. Yeah, there's like I think there's all this weird like CFL and they want to do. Like I I hear en kind of behind the scenes with friends of the show that kind of work with amateur football college. I don't know, there's always seems to be a lot of egos and budding heads and things and working together. I don't know if I'm kind of reading into that wrong, but yeah, I just like I even when we were up in Canada this weekend and talking like spoiler alert, nobody I talk to watch is the CFL, like know what? Like I didn't talk to anyone. I even we went to the what I'll chronicle my travels here in the midt, But you know, even like we went to the bar yesterday, we went both days to watch football and I'm talking with you know, the manager. He's like, oh, yeah, we don't like I don't whether you you know, I was talking to the past four guy that we back lass. I checked, like, well what we're what were you here from? Like, oh, the CFL game is like the Seattle game, like you know, the CFL like the football BC, Like you know, they the point is like it's interesting talking through and they're talking to people about yes, like more like more Americans succeed up there because of the strength of our college programs and they have the ratio and because they wanted to protect those and that's important, and you know, having these conversations with people, it's always interesting because yeah, they're like, well, what is there a lot of Americans? Like, yeah, it's actually a lot, you know, just because like you said, because of all that and because we're able to come up and kind of get going better, let's talk through argos and Red Black Cheer, we can touch based on all of those. Uh. Disappointing for the Red Black Cheer losing this uh being able to kind of host the game. I know, Bemo Field right opened up by saw. Mike Cogan tweeted they were opening up more seats for the game. So that was good in Toronto. Get a little bit of juice for this one. But I would certainly like to see Ottawa host the playoff game. Thoughts on this one.
Speaker 2: It's very ironic that Ottawa for like three straight weeks had an opportunity to win and get into the playoffs and they couldn't do it. And on their bye week is when they make the playoffs. Like, this team hasn't won since I want to say September seven. I think he's been over a month since Ottawa's last one A game, so they've been they've been wildly disappointing, and honestly, Toronto has been very impressive. Chad Kelly has really come around the last four to five games. I think he's grown maybe six touchdowns, two picks in the last four or five games. He has played a lot better over the last few weeks for Toronto. And that defense for the Argonauts have been really good. I think that's what's really propelled them. That defensive line is just very stout. I mean, they do a great job of getting pressure on the quarterbacks. So major kudos to Toronto. I think they've won three straight after going after being like seven and seven at one point, so I thought they've played really well Ottawa. I mean, it's it's disappointing because I think at one point Ottawa was what seven three and one or something like that, like they were, they were one of the top teams in this league. And you know, I think problem is, you know, losing Darius Pickett on the defensive side of the ball was really big for them. They kind of lost their leader who has been, you know, leading the team in tackles and they they've lost that boost on the defensive side because that's where they've taken a big hit.
Speaker 3: I think the.
Speaker 2: Receiving corps is really good, you know. I think another big thing with Ottawa. You know, I don't know what happened with the way Kwan ray Kwon Armstead situation. Like I know there was something some you know rumors about, you know, having issues with I don't know the coaches or that. I don't know what it is. But ever since they released him, they have no running game. I mean, Ottawa cannot run the ball for their lives. And the disappointing thing is they're asking a young quarterback like Drew Brown who's in his first full year as a starter, and being like, hey, I need you to carry this team. Drew Brown is not in the place right now where he can carry a full team. He's got the talent, Like I really think he can be a starting quarterback in the CFL, and I think he's got a bright future. But it's the first full year and he's being asked to kind of carry this team and he you know, he's taken a ton of hits. You know, he's been stacked quite a bit. He's been injured a couple of times this year, like it really hasn't It's been kind of an up and down season for him. I think there's good potential there, but I mean, I know, like not to call out the professor, but Andy Burry's like, oh, he threw four and three yards and four touchdowns in the game. He played really well, and I was like, yeah, but that was all like garbage time points, Like they scored twenty five points in the fourth quarter. The is just pretty much, you know, packed it in in the fourth quarter and just let them come back. So I don't really think that's really telling the full story. Like I think he's good. I think he had a good game, but it's like, you know, most of that came in the fourth quarter. So you know, yeah, Ottawa's been, you know, one of the surprise teams of the season, but this late season dropped for them is kind of what we've seen with Ottawa over the last couple of years. And you know, I sincerely hope it can you know, bounce back, have a good last week of the season against Hamilton and going to the playoffs with some kind of momentum where they're gonna have to travel to Toronto again in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Well that's the thing you have, you know, Bob Dice there and like I hear both sides on this, like, oh, the team was flat, Like okay, maybe Bob, and then they'll come out and really playing, like hey see, Bob really got him going and all this kind of stuff. And I was talking because Evan was out. But one of the Ottawa games earlier, I think it was the last time they won a game was when that Evan was out. I think he was saying, but you know, I mean there's a lot of talented people there, and there's a lot of you know, smart people putting together the team, and you know in terms of player you know, management and all that stuff. I just I'm just I can never get a good sense of like how do we feel about this and the just kind of Bob dies and everything and kind of getting the team ready to go. It's interesting you talking about the Jew Brown and kind of the run game and all of that, because it reminded me obviously yesterday. You know, Jay Daniels going down injured in the first quarter for the Washington Commanders. It feels like he's gonna be okay. But even with Marioda and there and Mario Thea hadn't looked good in the other little bit we had seen them this season. But having a run game kind of knowing that we're able to just kind of and obviously Carolina is a horrendous team, and so like, okay, let's say with the greatest salt, but you know, having we really have three solid running backs at this point that we can send out there just alleviates all that where it wasn't like Sam hall Lasher with the Commanders, like I have to throw fifty times a game to be able to be successful here and you're looking, you know, and obviously they're coming from behind and all that, but you know, forty three attempts here from Drew Brown, I probably not setting up for success that way at all. Where you know, Toronto always seems to have a little bit more of a kind of a well rounded I guess team effort, if that makes sense, both the run game had passed and then obviously the defense taking care of stuff as well. But interesting because yeah, Drew Brown started really hot, so you think you think he's cooled off or do you think the team's kind of let him down?
Speaker 2: I maybe a combination of both. I mean, he's been really banked up. I don't think his offensive line has really done him much favors. You know, the running games kind of dropped off. I mean, the good the good news for Ottawa is, look, they have Devonte Williams who was injured before the season. He's been out the whole year, so when he comes back next year, they'll have one of the top running backs in this league.
Speaker 3: So that's at least the good news.
Speaker 2: But for the time being, I mean, poor Drew Brown's gonna have to carry this team on his back. And you know, at the beginning of the season, he wasn't putting up spectacular SATs, but he was doing.
Speaker 3: What he needed to do to win games.
Speaker 2: But now it's gotten to the point where he's got to do everything for this team, and I just don't think he's at the point of his development where he's able to do that. And I don't think he should be asked to do that. I you know, it's his first full season. He's been the backup at Winnipeg for the last two to three seasons, so you need to give him time. I think he's got audible in the right direction. I think he is a franchise quarterback. I do think he is the future for this team. But you know, hopefully, you know, with Williams coming back next year, that maybe it will get the you know, with a decent running game of maybe some help on the offensive line and the defense getting healthier.
Speaker 3: Maybe that will help Outawa out.
Speaker 2: But I mean, right now, for this season, I think I don't really think there's much hope for this team to really bounce back and be legitimate contenders for a Great Cup.
Speaker 1: It's just a test. You know, we really went all in on the Massoli thing the last couple of years, and it really feels like this Drew Brown, right, he had the big game when Kolaro's went down, or a couple like a couple of decent games. I remember, you had the one really breakout game last year, and so like, you know, you sign them off of that and then you see a full season's worth and then I don't know, I just don't know what Ottawa does here in that because it just feels like they've been searching for that the last couple of years. We talked to Hamilton and obviously, you know, do they double down on bow again. It's not like there's either a wealth of options are kind of floating around Vernon or we'll talk through that, you know, Nathan, some of them wind up somewhere. But I don't know, it just feels like Ottawa every year is like, well, you know, the quarterback is in the league, we're not going to really compete. And they've obviously had the injuries and everything else. It's just been really unfortunate for them. It feels like they've really tried the last three years and surely just kind of not worked out their way. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean the problem with the Vasoli is he's getting a little bit older, and while I think there were moments where he came in in the last month where he did provide some kind of sport for them when Drew Brown wasn't able to do it, MOSOLEI turns them all over too much. I mean, Drew Brown protect the ball better than he does, so I don't you know, Massoli I think is a really good back of him. I think they're solid at quarterback. Like I think you give you got to give Drew Brown a little bit of time.
Speaker 3: He's already made.
Speaker 2: He's already made major strikes with his ottawall team compared to what they've done over the last three to four five seasons, when this team was averaging you know what, three to four wins per season, Like, this team is actually in the playoffs. So the first time since I think it was twenty eighteen was the last time they were in it. So he's already made significant strides with this franchise. He just needs more time to develop. So I think they have their quarterback of the future. It's just, you know, get the running game going, maybe you know, fix some pieces on the offensive line, you know, get your defense healthier, maybe add a piece or two more like Ottawa is just I think there are a few players away from being.
Speaker 3: A really competitive, great Cup contending team, Darren.
Speaker 1: I see your comment here talking Calgary talking Nathan Argan. Calgary will get to that in a second. Yeah, it's just like I was just looking at you know, Mizolei's thirty two years younger than I am. Trevor Harris is thirty eight. I think it's you know, a week younger older. I can't remember the math here. We are we are old people. I mean, I am at the point where I have to put like this, like lotion stuff on my ankles because they get inflamed when I like, I we are old people. I'm not a professionally athlete trained in that way and obviously living in a different health regimen and like all of those things. But I cannot imagine any of this. And you see, and you know, like the trade fourth thing, and okay, we bring back McLoud and maybe we should talk Edmonton here too at some point before we get off, but like, let's you need to start. Yeah, okay, maybe Drew Brown sucks for a year and then we get around him and as opposed to just these retreads coming back of you know, the Mclouds and the bow and the who is the other one is Trevor Harris, Like you got to bring in kind of a fresh crop here. These guys are getting old and it just feels like, okay, and now we're going to trade and we're like, oh, this big name, I mean, even Vernon, how old's Vernon thirty five? How old's Vernon Adams?
Speaker 3: He's in his thirties. I know that for sure.
Speaker 1: Brendon Adams was born in nineteen ninety three, So what is that thirty one? Okay, so he's thirty one. He's got a little bit longer on there. But like you know, it's not like they're all just the spring chickens running around. I mean that's like lame like example there. But anyway, I just feel like you kind of need to figure that out. And we've talked to a quarterback thing and all that kind of stuff, But start bringing in some more of these this youth here and get these guys figured out quick. Making it be you know, five years to be able to be a quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean miss always had what five million aco injuries in his career. I mean, I love the guy and I think he can, you know, can still be competitive, but like you said, he's like thirty six, I think he needs to go. Trevor Harris has played well though, Like I'll give him his credit like that. That dude is still playing well. He may have a year or two more in him. You know, bo is up there in age, but he still probably has a year or two and in him. Bernard Adams probably has, you know, just compared to those guys, he probably has five or six years in this league.
Speaker 3: You know. Cody Fujarro is not that young either.
Speaker 2: I think he's in his early thirties like these are, but I mean still competing on a high, you know, high level, but they the league still needs to find younger talent, you know, like a trade for it, like a Drew Brown who were in their twenties, then they can develop into superstars for this league because they just don't have that right now.
Speaker 1: So let's talk through a little bit here of Yeah, let's talk a little Winnipeg and Edmonton just because they were on the bias this week, or it's so weird with this, like because who else was on the by Hamilton, Montreal. So we had Edmonton, Winnipeg, sask Okay, so let's talk. We've done Sask all that stuff. Edmonton, all right, So trey Ford's playing next week. I'm looking here. They're playing Toronto. Not not a lot to play for for Edmonton. But what do you think of the situation they have a right they're starting Tray, We got Ada McCleod. Was that just kind of overall thoughts kind of put into bed this season for Edmonton because they're pretty much out of it.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, the last I heard, they were trying to come up with some kind of negotiation with Tray for it to put them in to have a you know, extend him or give him a longer contract.
Speaker 3: So we'll see what happens with it.
Speaker 2: But I mean, for the love of God, please give Trey for a chance, Like, can we give him a full season to start, because at this point people are gonna, you know, he's gonna have a slow start next year. They're gonna be like, oh, what's wrong with this guy's back? Well you were, I don't know. He's been the maid of honor for the last for two three years and you haven't given him the chance to really bloom in this offense. And we all know what the potentially is. I mean, I'll say this season, I think the one thing he's done really well that maybe he hasn't done over the last couple of years is his accuracy. I mean, this guy's completing over seventy one percent of his pass He's one of the most accurate quarterbacks in this league. I think he's done a lot more. He's done a lot better in the pocket than what he has in the past. I think he's really showing that he could be an Italy passer. Yes, he has his moments where he's turning the ball over, but trey Ford is really showing that he can be a passer and you know, once he gets held. I know, like this year has been kind of weird with his rib injury and they probably haven't had more that they haven't had as many quarterback designed runs as they probably want with him. But when he's one hundred percent healthy next year, like he's gonna be a weapon. And he's proven that he can be a pocket quarterback in this league. So I think Edmonton's really got something in trade board, you know, mccle Bethel Thompson, He's had like these weird moments, like one game he's like four hundred yards and five touchdowns. Another game he's throwing one touchdown in two picks. Like he's too inconsistent, and even he's getting up there in age, I don't I don't know. And plus he's been fined like five hundred times for complaining about the schedule and stuff. So it doesn't even want to come back to the CFL because sometimes it just feels like with all the complaining he's doing, like I don't even know if he wants to come back. I don't know if any team's gonna want him back, because I don't know if he can compete for a starting job really anywhere else, so I don't suspect them. Mcleile Bethel Thompson will be back next year. If he is, he's gonna have to probably you know, pack it in as a backup. But this is trade Board's team. I think they need to build around him. I think they have some nice pieces defensive, like the running game. They have an elite backfield with Justin Rankin to to Kevin Brown to you know, Javon Leak, Like, they have so much talent on that backfield, like.
Speaker 3: They're they're they're they're the best rushing attack in the league.
Speaker 2: So they have good running backs, they have a good receiving corps, solid offensive line. Defense needs a lot of work though, I mean, just one of the worst defenses in the league. So if they can fix their defense and get that going, I think Edmonton's.
Speaker 3: Got good potential to be competitive next year.
Speaker 1: This is a mess, right, and this is to me, is the biggest kind of situation besides the BC and kind of what they're going to do there for the Darren has I just got Corp's interaction on my shoulders. Yeah, we're all old everybody's old. We're all, we're all, we're they're getting old. Yes, no, I averrigiate that, like because here's the deal, and I was looking at this. You know, so you're Edmonton. You pay half a million dollars for McCloud to come in to win six games, right I I I feel like you could have won six games, which ray Ford and obviously the injuries kind of all that stuff, the McCloud, the anti CFL and getting fined and all that stuff. Like, brother, you can pay half a million dollars to come up and play football, like you know what's going on, Like you know the deal with all that. This is why I can't stand like any of this, and I don't I don't always buy like Aaron Rodgers last night after the game, like well we just our energy was low. We didn't Like, I don't that Aaron's just kind of talking nonsense. You're kind of to throw the blame. But you hear that a lot, like the cracking last season, like we had a hard time getting motivated. Like you're getting paid like millions of dollars, Like you are a professional, Like you need to show up, like you need to do your work. I have a really hard time with that. The McCloud, I love you. You've been on the show. Everyone plays short weeks, brother, everyone played short weeks. Look in the NFL, like look at the USFL. It could have been a lot. Like I can't imagine his living standards and playing standards are any worse than it was in the USFL with the Breakers, Like I just, you know, let's be realistic here, but you've you've so alienated tray Ford. And it's it's similar but different, right with Vernon and how BC's handled it. But you have a team that's really poorly handled this person the last couple of years. And people like players are people, they're not just ponds. You can you know, my fantasy team and we're gonna start this person this week and then we're gonna put this one and we're like, if I'm Trey Ford, I would want nothing to do with Edmonton. I would want to know there's a big market out there. You guys haven't put any you know, energy behind me. I have no faith even if I resign here, you're not going to try to go out and do Like I just couldn't imagine having this person that Chris Jones took you know it, moved up in the draft to take relegated and relegated and relegated him, and then now, oh, let's now we're really ready to sign you. I just I would have no faith in that. I wouldn't believe in that. I would be very put off by how Edmonton's handled it.
Speaker 2: Well it this has to come from Larry Thompson, the new owner. He needs to sit down tray for it. Be like, look, Chris Jones is gone, that's the old regime. I'm a longtime fan, I was a season ticket holder. I understand what this team needs. Put your trust in me. I'm gonna give you.
Speaker 3: The money you need.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get you to support you need. We're gonna get a new coaching staff in here. We're gonna get you some weapons. We're gonna help you out defensively. Like that, He needs to sell him on the image that you're the franchise quarterback. I believe in you. I've seen you play. I don't know what the hell that other regime was doing for you. They ruined you, But I'm gonna make you the best quarterback in this league. So I think that's the biggest selling point is you use your new owner to be able to sell the fact that hey, we got a new ownership, this is a new team, this is a new day. We're going to build the team around you.
Speaker 3: You're my guy.
Speaker 1: I agree. I think that's a really good Yeah, you need to because it's I just I don't know. I just couldn't imagine. I just I always flashed back to it last year preseason, like Trey Foard on the show, He's on his phone, is it common Wealth the Sunshine in He's after whatever preseason practice or game. He's like, I'm having the best time. I'm like, this is gonna be awesome. And then he's not the starter, He's not. I just I'll never understand it. I love Chris Jones. I love a lot of people. With all of this stuff speaking of people I love and teams and everything I love. Like, So this BC a Lions thing. We'll talk through all this now and obviously Routy Montreal and all that stuff. I'll talk through just kind of my experiences going up, just to give a little color for the weekend. But what is your thoughts on just the BC Allions as a whole. Like I said, off the top. If I've been podcasting the last month, I might not have been invited to a BC Lions a game just because of everything. Like, so, what are your thoughts, because I want to make sure you have a platform as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, So one, I mean.
Speaker 2: This is these are Americans talking about a Canadian quarterback. So I want everyone to just relax. This is not completely a negative thing. But I mean, first of all, offensive line and the defense for BC is the biggest problem with this team. I mean it doesn't start with the quarterback, It starts with those The offensive line has been horrible all season, really.
Speaker 3: Inconsistent in past protection.
Speaker 2: There are some games where they're good, there's some games of there where the quarterbacks are getting rocked. So I want to make some acknowledge from that defense has allowed big plays season.
Speaker 3: This has not been a good secondary. This defense needs a lot of help, especially on the back end.
Speaker 2: With that being said, I think Nathan Warrick has the potential to be a starting quarterback in this league, but this year it just has worked out like he just doesn't have the confidence there. And then I think the problem is and Rick Campbell, I think deserves a lot of responsibility for this he threw him in way too quick, Like you don't sign somebody you know who has been playing in the NFL for the last year plus, who's bounced around between four teams, bounced around four different offensive systems. You know, he was literally on two teams during the off season, uh, in the NFL and then just tell him, Hey, go out, go out and play. Let's see how you do. Like, Nathan Warck was set up for failure from the beginning. He was given this big contract and the biggest one in league history. You're going to be the face of this league, you know, a Canadian quarterback. It's all going to be great. So I actually feel for Nathan Wock because I'm sure he doesn't want this kind of attention. He just wants to go out and play, and he was just set up for failure.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: But with that being said, you know he's had time to to, you know, kind of go through the issues and try to fix it. I mean, read over the last four games that he has started. You know how many touchdown passes he's thrown?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, zero. He hasn't thrown a touchdown pass in the last four starts, Like even a you know, a sub par CFL quarterback would be able to throw at least one touchdown during that time. So I hate to be so negative about it, but that's a big problem when you have a quarterback who can't even throw touchdowns, and that's that's been another problem with BEC. They can't score touchdowns in the red zone. They just don't take advantage of those situations. That's a major major issue, and Nathan Wark has to take some of the point for that. I would put a little more on Rick Campbell. I don't think he's really set his quarterback up for success.
Speaker 2: But you know, Nathan Work has not been great, so you know, I think the Allions made the right decision going with Verta Adams. It was very clear on Saturday that, you know, you can make your argument Montreal probably didn't, you know, they didn't play their start as a whole game. They probably weren't as motivated to win that game. But Verdon Adams is clearly the better guy for this offense, at least for this year. Let Nathan Work sit behind him, let him learn the offense, let him, you know, take the off season to work with him, get his confidence back, work on some of the mechanic issues that he's had and then put him back in as the start of next year in twenty twenty five. But I just think the way they handled him and then putting Matthew and you know, signing Matthew Bets and putting him in, like I think, BC just mishandled the middle of this season, and they panic because Vernon Adams got hurt. They should have What they should have done was start Chase Bryce and give him an opportunity, because it seems like every time they put in Bryce. I mean, he's completing almost one hundred percent of his passes and I think he's throwing a touchdown or two this year. He's actually looked pretty good. I know they were in garbage time, but he's actually looked pretty good compared to you know, what they have done. So they probably should have started him and see if they had, you know, if they have a backup in him, and then put Vernon Adams back in. But they jumped the gun on Nathan Work and it just hasn't worked out. So I think it's more of a you know, a leadership with coaching and management problem with Bees versus what's going on with the players. Yes, there's there's more talent, and there's more talent needs to be added in, especially on the defensive side and the offensive line. But Nathan working with out set up for success. These players that have been set up for success, and they have squandered a perfect opportunity to host a you know, to be the host team for a great Cup.
Speaker 1: Real quick on the defense, and I'll talk to Nathan and stuff here. I don't like the regression of this defense needs to be studied because I don't know how you you were the Donut Boys? Was that early last year, Like it wasn't even that long ago where the Donut Boys and we're shutting down, they were doing all this and Ryan Phillips and they're like, shoot, man, Ryan's gonna be coaching. You're gonna be leaving BC. He had already got the promotion there and moved up and like, you know, I know Ryan, like I shot one years ago. Like this is like just the regression of that. I don't understand where I again, I was watching first take, which is you know, a bastiat of knowledge about you know, football and everything coming out of the Sunday night game. But you know they were talking out the Jets and like, you can't expect the same defense every year, right, the Jets defense was really good last year. You can't expect the exact same sort of shut down whatever, but you don't just fall apart. Like I just don't understand how BC is just totally falling apart and they have no you know some of the games that we were watching earlier this season, like receivers are wide open, they can't tackle, they can't do all that. I like that far Han has gotten a lot more critical of the team. I like that he's gotten a little bit more critical of, you know, coaching and management. I remember I was critical of coaching during the year and got of got some feedback like get you know, what are you doing? We need to be like this is this is the thing here. And so talking to Nathan and this kind of made me laugh because Darren, are there the quarterbacks in the CFLs egotisticos Aaron Rodgers. When Nathan kind of did that halftime stuff, it was a little that way to me. It came across a little that way where you no show far haunt and all that. This entire Nathan work scenario is so weird because a number one, as Ryan Clark, I think, is the one that says it, like you and football, you're paid the kings ransom to play a child's game, right, so like immediately you are like it, like all the criticism everything, and the people online and the hard questions and like when Aaron Rodgers gets mad at people like, no, you're paying a ton of money to do your work, like they're paid, Like this is everyone's this is how this works, and I'm sorry that you don't like to answer hard questions or whatever, but like that's how all that goes. But then with this Nathan stuff, the whole country of Canada and a lot of the media and a lot of the media members babied him the whole way up because I think that they said, you know, this is our star. We followed him all the way through you know, high school, going in and playing college in the States, and he's winning the you know, the Cornish Award and all these things from Ja mullen and we're bringing him up and we're bringing him up and it's just weird coddling that you wouldn't have. And like even far Han after that game when he's like no show and far Haunt, oh, I know, Nathan. It's like, that's not the point, Like it's not the point that you've known him and covered him and driven down to the States and gone to practices with him and went to Jacksonville and tried, like that's not you need to separate all that from that. But you know, I know BC was ready to make Nathan the highest paid person when he decided to go to the NFL two years ago. His choice, right, Obviously we've chronicled all that and the Patriots and all these things and everything that working out Jaguar. But then this whole like the second he decides to come back that you basically the BC allions fell over themselves to like run and just throw that. You know, this truckload of money at him looks really bad, right, sets it up that way, And I do know, and I think it was far Han said in his the postgame was he called that the far Hank casts, which I go, hey, you know, the Mark cast is trademark. But Vernon felt really hurt because he as a starting quarterback. You should never lose your job because of injury, right, Vernon was playing good, got hurt, lost his job, was never given the opportunity to compete, and that's just not the way to set it up. Vernon put in a ton of time in the off season. They you know, they did all the arrow up stuff, and he's flying people down to Tacoma and they're doing all this and they're like building all this camaraderie. You carry that into the season, and then when he gets hurt and you bring in Nathan, it could have been anyone. It's not a Nathan specific. You could have brought in anyone if Vernon would he got his job back, you know, not because of poor player or anything else. It just sets it up for disaster. And I just think that the BC Allions had no was it. Seinfeld always tucks like you got to save face, you can't give too much fail like totally gave away whatever. Now this team's atrocious right now. I know they beat Montreal in the game. They didn't mean anything. They looked good. And I want to get your thoughts on that if it was just like because Montreal whatever. But like you're barely in this right now and you're not even paying Nathan eight hundred thousand dollars yet, Like, what the heck are you going to do the next two years? Like I don't know. I mean, if Vernon comes in and we were arguing with people at the BC Lions game that like, well, obviously you know this is Nathan's team, but like if Vernon wins two playoff games and maybe takes him to the Great Cup, are you going to cut Vernon? Are you really going to trade him? Like this is this to me is until the nightmare? Right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Two things that so one, the media has done such a horre like you said, a horrendous job of covering Nathan Worrick and babying him. They treated this guy like he could walk on water and he could turn water into the wine. But I mean, my my issue is, you know, I feel like there was more outrage with Nathan Borock about if you talk negatively on him then like trying to defend another Canadian quarterback in Trey Ford who has actually proven.
Speaker 3: That he has played well in the CFL.
Speaker 2: Yes, Nathan Worke had a good season two years ago, but he got injured that season and he's still through twelve interceptions in the ten games that he played, so like he is like a turnover machine, let's be honest about it. Like Nathan Work's a good quarterback, but he's the type of guy that's going to turn the ball over alive. When you have trey Ford, who's the polar opposite. He protects the ball well, he's accurate with the ball like where I know there was some outrage which tray Ford was kind of passed up over mccob buffle Thompson, but I feel like there was ten times more outrage with Nathan Rourke versus trade Ford, Like what are we doing here? Like we we should be defending trey Ford by the gates more than we should Nathan wore. And then also my concern is the off season, it is BC gonna have any money to spend to try to fix the issues. They have no because they're gonna be under the salary cap because they spend so much money on Matthew Betts, they spend so much money on Nathan war and they have to fix their secondary and they're gonna have nothing to work with. In fact, they're probably gonna have to let good players go. You know what's gonna happen over the receiving corps? Are they gonna lose some of those top guys. I mean, they have Alexander Hollins they have Justin McGinnis, they have you know, Kea like, they have the best receiving corep in the league. And they'rerobably gonna have to let some of those guys walk in free agency. They're not gonna be able to pay them. They have to fix that offensive line, they have to fix that defense, and they're gonna have zero money to do it.
Speaker 3: So they just threw all this money.
Speaker 2: They try to win the Great Cup to go to win nine games this season and probably doesn't have a great chance of you know, making a our eight games. They want a game, but they don't have a great chance of winning the Great Cup. So I threw all this money away for nothing. So they've they've really set themselves back over you know, probably for the next two to three years because they want to spend all this money on a quarterback who's throwing four touchdowns at nine interceptions in eight starts, and a defensive end who's had one stack in four to five games.
Speaker 3: And I hate being critical.
Speaker 2: I know they're just getting back into the flow of it and maybe they'll be better next year.
Speaker 3: But BC has not set up for success over the next year or two.
Speaker 1: I understand what Farahan was saying, when you know, when naither Work calls you, you know you need to answer that call and you need to right, like because he the argument is like any team would have done this right, any team with it brought in. But I don't know when you have Vernon, that's we just you know, it's thirty one has been you know, playing very well. It's two seasons season that no, two seasons now plus you and the wa where where Nathan was hurt the season before, Like two seasons of this coming in has built the rapport with the guys. They mismanaged their backup quarterback situation from the get go. You know, they should have kept the short yardage guy in there, and then we have dal Gala and then we get rid of him and we don't like that was total waste of even having that And like, I don't know, do you just stamp pat and go Nathan will talk after the season, you know, get your head straight. I don't know, does another team go out and throw eight hundred thousand at him? Like I don't know, but I feel like I understand the fear of like when that phone call comes, you need to say yes because that might never come again. But totally, like it didn't solve the team when he came in, and it really made it worse because, like you said, they don't have any money now to do anything else, So it really took a bad situation and made it almost impossible. Kind of salary cap wise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: I mean, BC has no choice. They made their bed. They need to lie in it with thinks the work. He needs to be a starter or the next two years. Like they're paying this guy the highest salary in league history. Like he has to play. He has to be their story. They have to see what they have in him. But for this season they can at least control that, and they need to put Vernon Adams in. He gives them the best shot to win, even though, like you know, the likelihood of them winning the Great Cup doesn't seem very likely anymore. Vernon Adam gives him the best shot to win this season. And then you know, the off season, you move on from Vernon Adams, you focus on the development of Nathan Burke, fix the issues as because look, at the end of the day, I know we're being super negative, but Nathan work has all the potential to be a great franchise quarterback.
Speaker 3: In this league.
Speaker 2: He's already proven that he can play well in this league. He just needs to clean up the turnovers. He needs to you know, work on his accuracy. He needs to develop you know, chemistry with these receivers, and you know, he needs some support around him. But again, what we talked about, that's gonna be a problem. But Nathan work is gonna have to understand he's gonna have to carry the team on his back, and he has the capability to do it, but he needs some development in the off season. And honestly, he just he's get his confidence back up.
Speaker 1: I just you know, and I know this is how professional sports works, but it's just hard when you pay players before they actually like win, right. It's like we've seen this now with Joe Burrow and you're you know, Jalen Hurts and all this, like you know, Okay, we got to the super Bowl. Okay, we're gonna pay him. You know, they're paying Nathan off of eight games that he played two years ago, where he had even a better receiving corps now, which is the best receiving core in the league. And so, like, I guess what I was trying to explain to Dorothy, Like we don't even know, Like you don't even know where those eight games are mirage? Is that the truth? Is it somewhere in between. Like it's just it's an impossible situation. I understand him wanting to go to the NFL. I would have stayed in BC. I would have won a Great Cup and then taken that down. I don't know if that gets you any more looks or whatever, but the way that this was handled, I understand your young man wanting to explore your opportunities, and I'll blame him for that, but like this has been handled horribly from both sides. I mean, it really is a very poor marriage kind of sit suation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, BC should have waited until if they were going to sign them now, they should have kept them on the bench, maybe maybe the whole season. Maybe maybe you just roll with Verdon Adams and just happened and just tell Adams, look, just be transparent. We're going to roll with Nathan work next year. So play this season, play well, work your ass off, and then you can go get a bigger, nicer contract somewhere else.
Speaker 1: But yeah, work, get prove it, Yeah, prove your worth and then yeah, like you said, just be like, be honest with all these players. No one's been honest with anyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's all the players want. I mean, as long as you're honest with them about what's going on in the future. Don't respect that more than just oh, hey, we just signed a you know, new quarterback that's going to replace you. Sorry, you know, sorry I didn't talk to you about it. But just be honest with them. Like Vernon Adams I think would have been better off with it. And you know he's gonna find a team next year and he's gonna make that team better because you know he's I believe if you wouldn't have been injured, easily would have been MP in this league.
Speaker 1: Last thing, and then I I want to recount just a couple things. We'll get out of here before at the top of the hour. So okay, we move Vernon, right, I mean I've seen Calgary. Okay, do you trade him to the world? Like, what do you do with Vernon? Because then you're in the same situation where if you play if you trade Vernon and he plays Elite next year, you're just just piss off of your b you know, because you're like you can't have. So I mean, what do you do with Vernon? You diih him and then dild I save that cap and just hope that you know you have Nathan? Is that much better?
Speaker 3: You have to get rid of him.
Speaker 2: I mean again, you gave Nathan Rourke the biggest contract in history. You've made your bed. You need to lie in it. You need to roll with him. It's like the Cleveland Browns with Deshaun Watson. You gave the guy two hundred and twenty three million dollars, fully guaranteed.
Speaker 3: Guess what you may not.
Speaker 2: You know, fans may not like that he's you know, starting quarterback, not anymore now he's injured. But you may not have liked that he was the starting quarterback. But you gave him all that money. So the owner Junior has some is gonna be like, ah, yeah, you're playing him every game like I'm getting my money's worth with him. BC is the same situation. You gotta you gotta go with Nathan. So I think with you trade him away, you know you can get some good value out of him. You know, maybe you can probably get some good draft picks, because honestly, at the end of the day, BC is only gonna be able to afford to pay players that's out of the draft, so you get as much draft collateral as you can and try to build a younger team because there's no way they're going to be able to afford anybody in free agency, so they're just going to have to try to find some good young talent and hopefully build the team around, you know, getting some sleepers in the draft.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I developed. I've been trying to meet here, but developed coming back from Canada. Last couple of things here this before we get out. I appreciate Anthony coming on. I had a really good time going up. I always appreciate going up TOBC hadn't been able to make it up this year and until this weekend. Had a really good time. We were kind of caught in that ask what do they call it, asmaspheric river whatever raid? Literally the entire time, literally the entire time we were there, pouring ray. But had a really good time. Like I said, not a lot of CFL knowledge from the people, the patrons, and a lot of the bars we talked at. I thought it was funny at our hotel downstairs they had a bar they had of the TVs and they finally got a TSN kind of doing some CFL recap on, but they had my old station Fox thirteen Aaron talking Seahawks and like doing a whole NFC West preview about with the forty nine ers on that stuff, like like we're like twenty feet from BC place, Like the hotel we stay at it is literally across the street from BC Place, Like it's they're all kind of the same price, but it works out. I'm like, you're literally across the street, Like could you have a BC Lion's flag up in Like they had Kansas City blow up doll and they had forty nine ers legs, had Aaron Rodgers jerseys. They have Lamar jacket, Like hey, like if I'm the BC team, like I'm up some freaking flegs in there. Game day stuff was always great. A line getting in, which is always cool. I just kind of feel I'm like, you're not just oh, we're just showing up. It's nice to kind of feel like but not nearly as well attended as the one we went to last year where it was winn a peg on that Friday night kind of for the control of first in the West. But my last note was every single person watching the CFL game. You either have I know absolutely nothing about the CFL, like I've never I don't even know who's on the team or what's going on, or like I've been a fan for forty seven years and i know everything. Like either there's no in between, there's no like, oh yeah, we come every couple of times. No, it's either I've never been before, or I come the pregame bar we went to across the street the other way had a lot of BC Lions fans, a lot of old, old people drinking wine and stuff like just speaks to kind of the age of the of the you know, the Lions fan base. A lot of older white men like drinking wine at the bar. You'll normally get that, I'm sure before like Philly games. You know, let's have a big like we like Dorothy looked at the menu. She's like, that's like one hundred and fifty dollars bubble wine. Like they're drinking. I'm like, hey, yeah, I guess if you're if you're a PC. But it was really fun. Far Han got into the BC Football Hall of Fame. That was great. Congrat him. We saw, like I said, jimol and all that, so really cool kind of catching up with everyone and just obviously appreciate BC's hospitalities. So it was a good game. I mean, Dorothy had fun even though Montreal didn't have a lot to play for. She enjoyed seeing what was it, twenty seven to three, So it was fun.
Speaker 2: I'm actually curious did you get to talk to BC line fans about how they feel about Nathan Worke, Like are they are they bought into him?
Speaker 3: Or are they bought into Vernon Adams.
Speaker 1: So the gentleman in front of me that he is on the side of that, I know every single party thing of every single person, because I was just kind of explaining to Dorothy, like, hey, you know and like Nathan and it's going to be really interesting because I understand that we've said like Nathan's the highest contract and all that stuff, like you know, Vernon wins two playoff games. He just has like this is Nathan's team, like he's they playing him. I'm like, he's trying to tell me the contract stuff. I'm like, brother, like I know you don't know, like I know this, I under I know the situation with the team here, Like I'm not. I didn't say like I'm a CUFL part, but I was just like, oh no, like yeah, no, I'm very aware of everything. And then he the little baby, and the baby turned around he had like a Nathan Roke temporary tattoo on the space. So I'm like, well, there you go. I mean obviously like, but no, very pro Nathan. Everyone we talked to very yeah, not even a lot of like we like Vernon I posted I stand with Va, but very pro Nathan. I think that that the run two years ago really built up all that. And even like people at the bars, they didn't know really what the team was doing right now, knew that Nathan was back and that there were some struggles, but that was kind of the one Yes, so very pro Nathan, and don't don't talk about my quarterback all right.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope Nathan knows how to play a cornerback because they'll definitely need him to do that as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Nathan's about one season away from learning to speak UFL e s buddy. So Anthony, anything from you, you got anything, we'll get out of here. Anything coming up on the site.
Speaker 2: Could probably be working on power rankings and uh, you know, getting some MLP conversation going and uh, you know, just getting up to date on you know, the final week of the season. So I'm excited to see how the season ends for the CFL and finally get the playoffs going. I feel like this has been a long season that a lot has happened. I feel like it's a totally different league from when it was back in June versus where we are now, So it should be kind of a photo finish for the league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, stay tuned. We'll either do a Monday recap, which will mostly be a playoff preview, or maybe we'll do something later in the week, but we'll do something next week. Kind of looking forward to the playoffs because Week twenty one is always kind of at least there's four games. Last year was like the other way and there's only three. Oh my god, Like we gotta talk about these three games. At least it's four games. Is don't mean anything, I know if that makes it better worse. But we'll get some seedings there. Like we said in the West, Anthony appreciate it, Jason's doing well, and everyone else. I know, it's been a long time off, so hopefully people you know, we still exist. On here, so we're trying to do our thing and hopefully we can get all of our credentials and everything for the Great Cup, so we'll see everyone like it. Subscribe, but we'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: The Betwen, the