Speaker 1: It's time for tech Talk. The machines are getting smarter. This is tech Talk, brought to you by Skynett.
Speaker 2: Mark Saltzman is our tech guru who translates a lot of this stuff into understandable the understandable words for us okay, or as.
Speaker 3: I like to say, breakdown geek speak into street speak.
Speaker 1: Oh that's do you have that on a T shirt somewhere?
Speaker 3: That is my cheesy cat catchphrase, my tagline on my podcast. But yeah, we talked.
Speaker 2: We talked last week about deep seek and what it means and how it works. And I had said, you know, I was unaware of how many people use AI on a regular basis for job stuff, responding to emails, helping schedule their days, all that sort of stuff. I asked AI in this case chat ept to come up with a radio play that we were going to do for.
Speaker 1: Our Christmas presentation last the end of last year. It was. It was awful.
Speaker 2: It was really really cheesy and bad, which you know, it just goes to show it's not perfect and obviously can't replicate humanity. But you have an article about using some specific prompts to help figure out exactly what you're looking for.
Speaker 1: And how to get what you're looking for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just a point of clarification, it's my colleague Kim Commando at USA Today who wrote this piece. But it's funny. After we chatted last week on tech Talk Thursdays, I did get email and messages rather on social media from KFI listeners asking for examples of using deep seek and chatchept, so it actually fed nicely. So yeah, I thought i'd share a couple of things that you can try, whether you like chat, GPT, deep seek, or Google, Gemini or copilot, those are sort of the more popular ones. The first thing is to ask the it's called a prompt what you type in. You would type in how do I make this better? And then you add in anything you've already written, like a speech, a radio play, a school essay, an email, and then it will actually it'll look at what you did and give you a better version of it. And you can say, by the way, Gary, I want this radio play. It was too cheesy. I don't want it as cheesy. You can actually tweak what it delivers for you and it'll customize it even further, so that's a good one. Another one is to say to type this in explain this like I'm ten, and then write what you want explain to you. I don't know, climate change, nuclear fusion, how the stock market works. I don't know, and then it will like you could say, or tell me like I'm fifteen, or it'll actually write it in a language based on the age that you ask it to give it to you. And so if you really need a primer in plain English, that's a great way to do it, and it really works. You could also, by the way, say explain this to me in one hundred words. In five hundred words, you can specify all of that. On a related note, you can say, explain both sides of the argument, and then you type in what the argument is about, you know, whatever, politics, whatever, any personal dilemmas. Tell me the pros and concert tell me both sides of this argument, and you'd be surprised how good it is. And then the last one would be to tell the AI the gener of AI platform to remember blank, remember that I'm a tea drinker, not a coffee drinker, or remember that I, you know, I work in sales or something like that, and you'd be surprised going forward. It's really good. It's very accurate. It'll remember things that you've once told it, so long as you're still signed in, of course. And then speaking of which, a friend of mine, he's got a good sense of humor. He didn't have the best year last year. He's in the promotional products industry, and he wrote to enchat gipt roast me, and so it said, so, let me get this straight, Mike, you're in the promotional products business or promoted nothing but losses. And it says your business took such a nose dive. Even Gravity was impressed. NASA called they want to study your trajectory like it gave them. It was like, really funny. You know, your stress levels have been so high. Your fitbit filed for workers comp and then it turned it into something more positive and you know, motivating for twenty twenty five. But like, it's really funny. So you can even ask chat ept to roast you. It may ask for a bit more if you didn't ask it to remember anything about you. But yeah, I could say I'm a tech reviewer roast me, you know. So yeah, so that's a couple of things to keep in mind. Soft. I do get that question. I've been hearing about AI, but what do I really do with it? Or or type in your packing list for an upcoming vacation and ask your AI what am I missing and it'll look at what you wrote and give you some suggestions. Yeah, so Kim Commando wrote a good piece in USA today on that.
Speaker 1: I'll give her. You know, I gave you the credit, but I'll get credit for that.
Speaker 2: Might have a question about chat ept I know has a paid tier as opposed to the free tier which most people are familiar with. Do other ones also have that paid tier? And if so, what do I get for the money?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great question. So they most of them do. Google Gemini. It's called Google Gemini for Advanced, and that is a subscription model. So it gives you more results, more up to date results. Same a chachipet like, it'll give you more current information. It like, it'll give you more coding capabilities for those in business who want something coded for their website, so it unlocks more features, more up to date features. It may give you the opportunity, depending on the platform, to verbally ask your prompt instead of typing it in like more conversational. So yeah, there's a few different things you would get depending on which one you use, and some include image creation that may not be free, like you know, when you want it to generate a photo for your website. Let's say, okay, I want a black couple between thirty and forty sipping a pinicalot on a beach, you know, for it to create that image for you that you can use royalty free. You may have to use one of those paid versions. Yeah, but instead of having to hire, you know, actors on a beach and a photographer and get the sunset just right, it's all AI, you know, for better or for worse. I don't want to take anybody's job away, but if budgets are tight and you need a royalty free image, it's It's a pretty wild tool.
Speaker 2: There is something that Kim Comando says at the end of the article, which is that you should think of AI as your first step and not your last. And I think a lot of people have done that where they say I don't even know where to begin writing. A earlier this week, we talked about using AI to start writing things like a best man speech or maybe a eulogy that you're giving it a funeral or something like that, and not that you would just take whatever the computer spits out and read that, but that you would use that as something that you could then embellish. You could you know, add specific more specifics to and things like that.
Speaker 3: It's a great tip. Yeah, I mean we all get lazy where you know, the the least resistance. But yeah, you don't want to read a yulachi for Kevin's sakes about you know, something that AI wrote and you didn't even vet it, Like that's not good. So no, of course, yeah, you've got to even if it's not something like that you're going to do in public, you have to vet the data because it could be wrong. You know. As a journalist, I'm tempted, but I'm still holding off from using AI in my research when I'm writing an article because one time I dabbled and I'm like, hey, how many users does Whatsap have worldwide? And the answer was three billion, and it was very sure, and it gave me all these you know, citations, and then then I found out if it was actually two billion users worldwide, and I'm glad I didn't go with the three because that's a very big difference in number. So you have to do you have to cross reference for sure.
Speaker 2: There was an article I read this morning, and I'm going to talk about Super Bowl commercials coming up in the next segment, and there was an article about a Google specific commercial that they used AI to develop. One guy was using AI to deve up an advertisement for his cheese company, and AI got the statistics wrong about what kind of cheese is most popular, and that caused a lot of Google now has to go back and change their ad because they just assumed that their own AI was going to get it right and it got it wrong.
Speaker 3: Yep, Well you know what happens when you assume.
Speaker 1: Cheese.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, there's holes in your logic. A sorry, cheesy joke.
Speaker 1: That's awful.
Speaker 2: You did also write an article regarding the best way to sell your unwonted stuff online. And what we'll do is we'll throw a link up so people can check that out as.
Speaker 3: Yeah, turn your old your stash into cash and tay off those post holiday credit card.
Speaker 1: Bills full of T shirt slogans.
Speaker 3: I know, right, and I didn't ask CHATCHPT to write those for me.
Speaker 2: Dear chat GPT, how can Mark turn his great slogans into money back?
Speaker 1: Thanks?
Speaker 3: Garrett?
Speaker 1: All right? Have a great weekend,