Speaker 1: As the weather heats up, everyone's looking for something to do in the summertime that's get you a little bit out of the heat. We've got some recommendations for you, by the way, for just joining us, grab the podcast version of the show search JB and Sandy on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: This is This has been going on for a while.
Speaker 1: It's the you can go out to Valente Beach water Park and watch the movie Jaws while you're floating in the water, and.
Speaker 3: You know it's funny. No one would have done that in the late seventies.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 3: People didn't want to get in the water period. That movie scared people so much.
Speaker 4: I know some people who've gone and they know that someone's going to swim underneath them and grab them while they're floating and watching the movie, and they still say it's incredibly terrifying.
Speaker 1: They've teamed up with the Alamo Draft House and they're celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of Jaws.
Speaker 2: It's been fifty years since it's came out.
Speaker 1: The screening dates are Ken the seventh, the twenty first, and July twenty sixth, and by the way, tomorrow night, I am going to be at the Round Rock Amphitheater. There's Jamie Johnson is playing a show at the Round Rock ampathet Theater and I am going to be there with twenty five Jaws Prize packs to give away. We're giving away tickets to the end of VIP pass to the movie at at Faline Beach water Park. This is from the Texas Lotto, by the way, and so I'm going to be out there. If you're going to the show, come over. We've got a lot of stuff to give away. And again that is Thursday at the Jamie Johnson show at the Round Rock Amphitheater. If you've got your tickets, come up and say hi, and who knows, you could win some good stuff. Twenty five We've got twenty five Jaws Prize packs to give away, four pack of VIP movie passes, all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 2: So you got your tickets.
Speaker 3: Are for all their movies. Always bad things happening in the Ocean Lakes right Friday to THIRDI oh yeah, Titanic, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't think of that point.
Speaker 1: Jows did scare the crap out of people though, Oh yeah, just the music alone, right, some other stuff that's going on around Austin if you want to get out.
Speaker 3: I think there's a sorry there. I think there was a real story behind that. What's the famous guy that Williams that did jows think John Williams when he presented that, they were like, what these two notes? Steven Spielberg he thought it was like a joke. Yep, yeah, and and didn't get it. And look at what it's still today. I know that's those two notes. Anyway, Yeah, incredible. I think it was a cool story. I love reading the origins and music stories. If you like the story.
Speaker 4: There's a John Williams documentary about all of the shows that he did the scores for, and that story with Spielberg is in it, so you should watch it.
Speaker 1: Jamie, you know who also did a lot of movie scores. It was one of the guys from Oingo Boingo. Really, I mean we're just talking. I just read this article about him. Of course he did all the Oingo Boingo stuff, but then went on to come to score dozens and dozens of movies that you're very, very familiar with, So clearly that was more profitable for him than sticking with the Oingo Boingo back in the day.
Speaker 2: Other stuff.
Speaker 1: The Paramount Summer Film Series is going on this summer as well. You can also this is kind of I first saw this and I'm like, really, why would you want to just walk around the Capitol.
Speaker 2: But I guess it's kind of cool.
Speaker 1: The Austin American Statesman recommends it just go for a walk around the capitol grounds, and I still think it's crazy that you can just walk into the Capitol.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think it exciting for people like Trician. I grew up here. That was a field trip every year when you were a little kid, oh Hata.
Speaker 4: And I lived there because my mom worked there for ten years.
Speaker 3: So over the capital.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they have a ton of squirrels. I don't know if they encourage it or not, but I did nothing but feed the squirrels. I mean, the trees there are so old and beautiful. It's gorgeous grounds. I mean, it's if people like stuff like that. The Capitol is definitely a great place to go to walk around.
Speaker 1: I may get in trouble for saying this, but I'm gonna say it anyway. I had a meeting right next door to the Governor's mansion, right and it was on the seventh floor of a downtown office building. The guy that I met with who has his office in there, We're in the conference room and I was looking out the window. I go, wow, this is an amazing view. And he's got a patio out out of the conference room there that you can step out, and I go, this is an amazing view. He goes, yeah, it's also the most insecure governor's mansion in the world.
Speaker 2: Oh, And I was like, oh.
Speaker 3: My god, you're yes, like right there off Leavaca tenth and is it Levaca or I can't remember.
Speaker 2: I think it's right.
Speaker 1: But you're literally in this office building on a balcony looking down into the governor's mansions backyard.
Speaker 3: And you remember it was that that that mansion was shut down for at least a couple of years because someone like through a handmade bomb bomb at the door, and it was it was the governor couldn't live there for a couple of years while they did some The major was that.
Speaker 2: During Bush or Parry. I don't remember.
Speaker 3: Sharing Perry was right when Perry got into office, right.
Speaker 2: But it's crazy to think.
Speaker 1: I mean, and by the way, the governor has a very nice swimming pool and Yellow labs. Wow, I saw them just romping around in the backyard.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It shouldn't be that accessible. No, No, it just seems wrong.
Speaker 4: Did you not see DPS officers. I mean, I feel like they would just be stationed all around the property.
Speaker 1: They got them at the front gates, you know what I mean, they were there at the front gate security. You'd definitely see them there. But I'm just saying it's you wouldn't have to have Nolan Ryan's arm to throw something into the backyard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that. People don't do that.
Speaker 2: Not trying to give anybody any ideas, I'm just saying it was.
Speaker 1: I was amazed at the lack of security above the Governor's mansion. So, uh boy, I hope I don't get a visit from Secret Service. I really really probably shouldn't have. I'm just trying to do some good. I'm just pointing out a weakness that you guys have overlooked.
Speaker 2: I am pointing out a flaw in the security of the government.
Speaker 3: The hackers to design better cybersecurity.
Speaker 2: Right exactly. JB.
Speaker 1: I know you're like, in fact, your wife and your mother in law recently went down to Houston to check out some museums. But the Austin American Statesman recommends checking out some of the museums in Austin, the Blackton Museum of Art, the Contemporary Art, Jones Center, the Mexico Art Museum, the umlav Sculpture Garden, a lot of stuff.
Speaker 3: Like that Umlaf just I don't know if they still have it. They did a big faar of faucet. Oh cool, she eat under Umlauf.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: The University of Texas Art and Sculpture not know that. So like you're walking through umlaugh gardens. And then there's the postra para faucet in the red bikini.
Speaker 2: Yeah there.
Speaker 3: Remember we saw that a statue that Umlauf did, the statue of Farah Naked.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sandy and I just practically wanted to jump on the thing, start humping the statue, just the idea.
Speaker 1: That it was fair of fhy wasn't that on display at a hotel Ella?
Speaker 3: They had it on loan? Yeah, I had a bunch of Umlauf stuff on loan.
Speaker 2: Jamie Night, real artsy guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know what's a good you know something we really take for granted here in Austin, and no one goes to is the LBJ Presidential Library.
Speaker 2: We have a presidential library.
Speaker 3: In the city, and I've never been been once. And I'm a you know, I'm a fan of LBJ.
Speaker 2: That all the civil rights man.
Speaker 3: You know. I like the way he ordered pants. I brought that story up to a woman who runs that foundation. We boy just did not want to hear it. Yeah, that's a pants story.
Speaker 1: Famous recording, its famous recording of President Johnson ordering some pants from a tailor and just the way that.
Speaker 2: He goes to Hagar Slack Company.
Speaker 1: Yeah, y'all made some slacks from me four or five years ago. I need him long and the long and the growing and the double zippa and and he goes and make a jacket had that same material.
Speaker 2: I mean, it sounds fine. Horn Leghorn.
Speaker 3: When he's ordered, he said, could you make these pocket is a couple of inches deeper? And when I when I sit down at night, my knife and my money following.
Speaker 2: My money clip right, and if and if you.
Speaker 3: Could add a little bit down in the crash. You know, sometimes it's it's like riding a wild fans. He's so funny, so funny. And then he goes, and he goes, and he goes, if you could put a you know, maybe a little extra engine there that I could take in or out.
Speaker 2: I tend.
Speaker 3: I tend to fluctuate ten or twenty pounds a month.
Speaker 1: But then the thing that was amazing is that he wanted a jacket made out of the exact same thing that the shirt.
Speaker 3: The shirt. He wanted a suit, and he said to make the shirt out of the same material. And then and it was it was one of the like the bosses, like one of the big bosses at Hagar Slack Company, which is a much bigger deal back then. And he said, mister President, where would you like to send like is to send these pants?
Speaker 1: And he goes White House. Okay, yes, sir, him to the Whitehouse. Yeah, it's just hysterical. Wish we had that clip handy, but I think we did a good job of explaining it.
Speaker 2: There was just a place you could search and find.
Speaker 1: I know, the world would be a whole lot easier get out and enjoy some stuff in Austin. But that LBG Library is impressive, and it's just one of those things in my mind that I'll know if you guys think the same way.
Speaker 2: It's like, where am I going to park?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How far am I gonna have to walk to get in?
Speaker 3: It has parking up on the top along Red River.
Speaker 4: If you just just go with the right, there actually is a huge parking lot, like on the other side of the building from thirty five.
Speaker 3: Parking is not really the issue.
Speaker 4: It's just the getting through the downtown and getting over there to it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: One of the busiest they've times they've ever had of that museum when it was when that tiny white House was on tour.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a miniature white House replica.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: People were lined up around the building. Yeah, see a miniature white House. We went to DC in November, no December.
Speaker 4: We went up there for the Army Navy game and we got a private tour of the Capitol and they have a miniature version of the Capitol made out of gingerbread that I would have stood in line to see it too.
Speaker 3: And I and Sandy was like, why are you stopping. I was like, I don't know, but I have to see this and it was amazing.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much to Congressman John Carter's office. He's our congressman and his one of his aides helped us out and took us on a tour of the capitol.
Speaker 2: Which is really cool. I mean it was, it was very cool. You know what, Why not?
Speaker 1: That's what I've gotten to that point, JBM life from one line and favors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why not?
Speaker 1: It doesn't hurt to ask, right, Yeah, And you know what, I'll vote for John Carter.
Speaker 2: Is that easy? That's all it took. That's all. It took.
Speaker 1: A tour of the wife of the don't care where. I got me a private tour at the Capitol. I'm voting for.
Speaker 3: I saw that miniature gingerbread house.
Speaker 1: It's just the way that it works, right, So we the only time we went to the library was for your friends, for your friend's investiture when he became a federal judge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my friend Claire, when her dad became a federal judge. That's where his investiture was. It was very cool. But I've I've been to the LBG library probably three times on field trips, school field trips. It was very forrest, like, we're gonna go back to the LBG library hugging.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you guys though, ever?
Speaker 1: Feel I always feel like when I'm on campus anywhere at UT and I guess technically that's not on campus, is.
Speaker 3: It is just at the top of the hill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anytime, I just feel like someone's gonna jump out and go, you don't belong here, you don't here.
Speaker 2: Don't you feel that way. I just that's how I feel, like.
Speaker 1: Someone's gonna check my alumni ID or something, you know. I just I can't be on the forty acres if I didn't go to school there.
Speaker 2: It's just how I feel.
Speaker 4: I've always amazed that I don't get in a car accident or hit a pedestrian when I get out of the the UT campus area because it is just teemy with people in cars.
Speaker 1: And people on the walking around the drag just looking at their phones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, no one's paying attention.
Speaker 1: I'm going to tell you something that's going to become a trend. Okay, this is happening in other parts of the world and in England right now.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Do not walk down the street without holding your phone with one hand because people are going to snatch it.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: They're driving up on electric bikes that are silent pretty much and they're snatching them out of your hand and they're gone. That is going to be a deal in the United States this summer, trust.
Speaker 3: Me, and it's logged in, yes, so they can quickly change your passwords to check your phone.
Speaker 2: Yep. So just be cautious.
Speaker 1: When you were in Colombia, wasn't that one of the things they told you is do not look at your phone in public.
Speaker 4: Oh, they said, do not have your phone out where anybody can see it. You had to have it in your purse, which was only a cross body bag, or you had to have it in your pocket. If it was visible, you were probably going to get targeted. Of course, it depended on what part of Columbia Bogata we were in.
Speaker 3: But right, Yeah, my daughter was just traveling and I said to her before she left, I was like, I said, if anyone is talking to you for no reason and you know, maybe asking for directions, just engaging with you, I said, hold on to your stuff. If you have a backpack, flip it around to the front. I said, because that person's engaging you while their friend is pickpocketing. I said, if it just seems weird, it probably is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: That's that's how I used to feel when really hot girls would come up and talked about her. Stick more coming up its Austin's eighties station one O three point one