Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by LA Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years.
Speaker 2: Hi Dodger Fan, Tan, Welcome to Dodger Talk here on this off night, Thursday, August first. Thanks for being with us as the Dodgers road trip continues. The third stop begins tomorrow in Oakland and a three game series against the A's. As the Dodgers started this road trip in Houston drop two of three to the Astros, played two in San Diego the past two nights, drop both of those games to the Padres, and the Dodgers now head to Oakland for a three game weekend series. Phone lines are wide open at eighty six six nine eighty seven two five to seventy eight six six nine to eighty seven two five seventy. Got a lot to get to over the next hour. It's give me a busy sixty minutes, and I'll want you to be a part of it, wherever you may be on this Thursday night, eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy coming up in about forty five minutes. Gonna get you a farm report. The Dodgers at the trade deadline, made a couple of moves and really only one top prospect got dealt, and that was Thean Loronzo, the Dodgers catcher and high a Ball, considered a top ten overall prospect for the Dodgers, but also considered the third of three Dodger prospects in the minor leagues here. In twenty twenty four, he was dealt to the Detroit Tigers in the deal for Jack Fulaherty. After that, the Dodgers maintained pretty well as far as their prospects are concerned, and their minor league depth stayed pat at the deadline. Even though the Dodgers were able to make some moves and add to their major league roster, their minor league system did not get depleted, unlike a couple of other organizations around baseball. So I'll give you an update on where some of these guys are at, how they're doing, because we could see some of them at the major league level this year. Certainly we'll see some of them next year. But the Dodgers not trading away the quote unquote farm at the deadline. So we'll tell you where some of these guys are at and how they're doing. That's coming up at seven forty five, eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the number.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a busy hour.
Speaker 2: As I mentioned, coming up in just a little bit, the Dodgers are making their last trip to Oakland ever. Yes, we all know the Oakland A's have been looking for a new stadium. They are moving to Las Vegas in twenty twenty eight, but in the meantime they're gonna be moving the Sacramento and playing their games at the TRIPAA Stadium there in Sacktown. So that means this is the last season that they are gonna be playing baseball at the Oakland Alameda County Coliseum. This is the last trip ever for the Dodgers in Oakland. Now they stay in San Francisco. They play the three games in Oakland, as do all the teams that fly and travel to the Bay Area to take on the Giants or the A's. They stay in San Francisco and they'll play this series across the Bay in Oakland. But the Dodgers have some history in Oakland, which we're gonna get to, some big history going back to nineteen eighty eight and that World Series showdown against the Oakland a So we'll remember a moment there in nineteen eighty eight because this is the last trip the Dodgers are ever making to Oakland. They'll be going to Sacramento, as I mentioned, and then eventually Las Vegas, where the A's will end up. The Summer Games are going on over in Paris, and we're just about a week in to the Summer Olympics, and we've got a lot of track and field still to come. In the second week. You're seeing a lot of the swimming events starting to wrap up today in tomorrow. Basketball is in full swing. But where's baseball? Why isn't baseball in the twenty twenty four Summer Games? Will it be in the Summer Olympics here in Los Angeles in four years in the twenty twenty eight games, Yes, yes it will. We'll get into that and why baseball isn't in this Summer Games? And one of the big questions that's going to be going in to the twenty twenty eight Summer Olympics. And I know that the long ways away, but it's gonna be here in Los Angeles, and it'll be here before you know it is. We'll majorly play be able to play. Will Baseball pause their season for a week so they can play in the summer games in Los Angeles in twenty twenty four, You can make it so one of the two weeks of the Olympics is where you play those games, and you don't have to stretch it out over two weeks. Swimming doesn't do that. Swimming takes up one of the weeks, and then you get gymnastics that takes up a week, and you get track and field that takes up the second half of the Olympics. They spread them out pretty good, but they also divide it up pretty well equally as well. And baseball could be played in one week, maybe even eight days. It could be done. But will Major League Baseball allow show Heyo Tani Mookie Betts might trout to the world if he's healthy. The stars of the Big leagues, the Bobby Witt Juniors, will they be allowed to play in four years in the summer games? Now it's during the season, which is a lot different than the NBA, which is not the season. And right now, thus you're seeing Lebron James and Anthony Davis, and you know, the top fifteen players in the NBA from the United States playing for Team USA, and a lot of players representing Canada and Puerto Rico, the Dominican, Australia. There's a lot of NBA players in these Olympics, the French team. But baseball is a different story. It's like hockey in the Winter Games. The hockey season is taking place, but they pause. They pause for two weeks every time there's a Winter Olympics, so teams stop play and players can go play for their respective countries because it's a big deal for a lot of these hockey players. That's the NHL. Well, Major League Baseball do it in four years. I got some thoughts on that coming up. You can weigh in as well at eight sixty six ninety seven to two five seventy so got a lot to get into, including the update on Walker Bueler, which I'm gonna get to in just a couple of minutes. He pitched tonight and his night is over in TRIPAA, Oklahoma City, and if you were hoping for a good result, it was, And I got some thoughts on what that means as far as the Dodgers' rotation going forward. But the big question Dodger fans. Why the panic? Why the panic? We've flipped the calendar to August. Now the month of July, and the dismal eleven and thirteen record is behind them. The first losing month since twenty eighteen for the Dodgers is in the rear view. This series against San Diego is behind them. Certainly a four and a half game lead. And what the Dodgers have done up to this point is great. But now the Dodgers need to buckle up and get ready for the final two months of the regular season and October baseball. And this Dodgers team is going to start getting healthy. And I keep having to remind people, whether it's friends or family that continuously text, what's going on the Dodgers. What's up with this player? The Dodgers can be able to win without this guy. This guy needs to be out of the rotation. This guy's no longer a good player anymore. Just pumped the breaks for a second. They got out to a big lead. They've led the NL West virtually all season. You got a four and a half game lead now going into the final two months of play. Sure the Dodgers team right now playing five hundred baseball compared to what the Diamondbacks and Padres have done over the last couple of weeks pre All Star Break and post All Star Break. That's why they've made up some ground. They're playing some good baseball. Well the Dodgers aren't, but that could quickly flip. As good as you are today, you can start a losing streak tomorrow and the lead for the Dodgers could balloon back up to seven and a half eight and a half nine games in the division. At what point it was double digits ahead of all the other teams of the division. So yeah, while the Padres and the Diamondbacks are playing better baseball, they are and they've made some additions at the trade deadline. They did so before the trade deadline, with Luisa Rice coming over from Miami to San Diego. Dylan Cees they acquired well before the trade deadline at a bargain. Things got a little bit different that the trade deadline as far as asking prices, and players who were weren't available, weren't available were't going to get moved to guys who were tried to get moved, but the asking price was just too high for everybody. The Dodgers are sitting in a good situation, and I know Dodger fans are panicking, but I remind you the ultimate goal is a championship. Winning one hundred and eleven games? What does it get you? What a note on your Wikipedia page it says, the uh, whatever year team won one hundred and eleven games. This year's team won one hundred and five games. That's all gets you, goes down on Baseball Reference dot com. Suret's there forever, But if it doesn't get you a championship, what does it really get you? So this panic of season's over throw it in. We don't have the rotation, we don't have the bodies, we don't have the bats. Our bullpen is aged and washed up. Hold on, just hold on a second. Guys are gonna get healthy Max months He's gonna be back in this lineup. I'm convinced soon.
Speaker 3: I hope.
Speaker 2: Mookie Betts is progressing every day. He's hitting off a tee, taking ground balls. The Dodgers are gonna get back Freddie Freeman and more on him.
Speaker 3: In just a minute. He'll be back.
Speaker 2: In this lineup with Mookie and Max Munci and shoey Otani and now a heated up Gavin Lux and a tae Oscar Hernanez, and it'll be back to the Dodger lineup that we saw stacked one through six, and all you wanted to complain about was seven, eight and nine not carrying their weight in the Dodger lineup. Well, you take three of those guys out of the lineup, it's gonna look a little different. Run production's gonna look a little different. Results are gonna look a little different. Outcomes of games are gonna look a little different. And they have now as far as the bullpit is concerned. There were stretches this year. The Dodgers were thrown out Ramirez's and Bondas of the world, just to mix and match. They've gotten back Joe Kelly, They've picked up Michael Kopek, Daniel Hudson and Blake Tried and they'll be okay. Just throttle back their usage a little bit. But Michael Grove is close to returning to help out this Didger's bullpen. Right behind him the Bazooka Bruce Dark Graderol who hasn't pitched at all in.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Ryan Brazier, who has been one of these guys the Dodgers acquired and has been a very good reliever for them out of the bullpen. Those three arms are coming. They are That's like three trades right there. Haven't seen Grove in a while, haven't seen Graderole all year. Forgot about Brazier. All three of those arms are coming. Help is coming to a tired bullpen. Help is coming to an injured and depleted lineup. As far as the rotation is concerned, they added Jack Flaherty. Glass Now's back is good. Gavin Stone has been really good. You've got young arms like River Ryan who have contributed and have been surprises in eye opening. Justin Rubleski sent back to Triple A. Did nothing wrong. The Dodgers just brought back Clayton Gershawn added Jack Flaherty. There is one question mark for me right now in this rotation.
Speaker 3: Not to mention.
Speaker 2: Yoshinobo Yamamoto is throwing from distance on flat ground, and tomorrow Friday is scheduled to throw a bullpen session. He keeps on that track, he throws another bullpen early next week, and if that checks the box, he goes out on a minor league rehab assignments or plays and pitches in sim games to get built back up. Three innings, thirty five pitches, four innings, forty to fifty pitches, five innings, fifty to sixty five pitches, and he'll be back before you know it.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: Help is coming to the lineup, to the rotation, and to the bullpen. And with that all being said, there's still four and a half games up, and they got two teams who are red hot behind them, who won't be playing this hot all season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've won nine of ten.
Speaker 2: If caught and fire a little bit, Corbyn Carroll is starting to carry a little bit offensively in Arizona. That offense okay, great, but they're not gonna be able to keep it up all season long. Nor is this Dodger team gonna continue to struggle like they are on this road trip.
Speaker 3: Yes, numbers aren't great.
Speaker 2: One in four on this road trip, lose two to three in Houston, drop both games in San Diego on this road trip, five games, hitting one to eighty eight.
Speaker 3: Collectively with sixty six strikeouts. Yeah, that doesn't look good. It doesn't sound good.
Speaker 2: It's not good, But I'm pretty convinced things will level out. They do in baseball, it's a funny game. For the most part, You're not gonna suck for very long. You're not gonna actually go out there and win ninety percent of your games either. Usually you kind of find the happy medium. Usually you find a groove at where you're at that year. Now you can be a team like the White Sox. Sure, you do stink, and you are gonna lose a ton of games, and you're gonna have long losing streaks because you're the White Sox and the talent is not there. But the Dodgers have the talent, they got the depth, and they're gonna turn it around. This is a mini blip on a one hundred and sixty two game schedule. Convince me otherwise. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. Now I mentioned Freddy Freeman. He's been out since the Houston series. He left right soon as the Dodgers got on this road trip. A minute mid park. He got on a plane and flew back home and he came back to be with his family. And we've got an update. Now I want to pas. This comes from Freddie Freeman and his wife Chelsea posted a joint statement on Instagram just about.
Speaker 3: An hour ago.
Speaker 2: A little over an hour ago, Freddie Freeman again who has been placed on the Emergency Family List last weekend. Him and his wife revealed today on Instagram at their three year old sound Maximus, is suffering from a gillion Barret syndrome. It's a rare neurological disorder and the family has been huddled together with doctors at a local hospital here in southern California, and they said that he has shown significant improvement praise God for that the past forty eight hours, and he has had his breathing tube taken out and he's been taken off a ventilator. This is all great news. It is a condition that attacks the body's immune system and the nerves. It's very very rare, even more rare in children. Somehow he came across it. It affects weakness, numbness, paralysis. There's no known cure, but people recover from it, and it's a battle you have to fight through, and this young three year old Maximus is fighting a good fight. A lot of prayers going their way to that family, and they want to thank everybody for those prayers. And his condition, as they said, rapidly declined at one point he was in full paralysis, but things have dramatically turned around, so that is great news. I'm going to read you the whole quote here from the family, but certainly good news all around that Freddie Freeman's young three year old son looks like he has taken a turn for the recovery, and that is awesome. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the number. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy in the full statement from Freddy in his.
Speaker 3: One make sure I want to read it here for you where it is there you go.
Speaker 2: Last Friday, Max rapidly the cline went into full body paralysis. We are very fortunate to have gotten him to the hospital in time so they can reinforce his lungs. Freddie was in Houston at the time and rushed to the first flight back home. After many tests, maxis battling the severe case of Gillian Barry syndrome, a rare neurological condition that is especially rare in children. These have been the hardest and scariest days of our lives. Maximus is such a special boy and has been fighting so hard. This is going to be a journey to recovery, but we have faith that he will completely heal. We have been blown away by his improvements in the last forty eight hours.
Speaker 3: That is awesome. Maximus was a vacuum.
Speaker 2: He was taking off his breathing to him and taken off the ventilator yesterday, which is a huge win for us. Again, this is from the Freemans. We believe in the power of prayer and we have been witnessing a miracle in his recovery. Amen, please continue to cover Maximus and our family and your prayers. We really appreciate and felt it all your support. Again, that is from Freddie Freeman and his wife Chelsea in their entire family. So that is some positive news. Now, when is Freddie Freeman go to be back back on the field.
Speaker 3: Who knows? This is an important situation that needs to be handled.
Speaker 2: It's family. It's family first. You take care of that and whenever the right time is and who's to decide what time that is? Well, Freddie and his wife and his family are the ones to decide that he will rejoin this Dodgers team. In the meantime, the Dodgers will start a series in Oakland tomorrow and going to get into it in.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 2: Why this series is special because the Dodgers don't go to Oakland often, and one of the times they went there many years ago, something special happen. Let's get out to the phones. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. Let's go to Diana and Granada Hill starting the things off here on this Thursday night.
Speaker 3: Hi Diana, Hi Keim, how are you? I'm doing Gray, what's going on?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: First off, I want to say that I am saying for Freddie Maximus and his family. That's that's just huge. But anyway, so last night you were talking about the potential need for a raw, raw guy to be on the team, and my question is this, I just wonder about the guys on the injury list now, mainly Mookie and Max Muncy, Like, why aren't they with the team currently supporting their teammates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of times.
Speaker 2: And I appreciate Diana, thanks for that and for the positive thoughts for the Freeman family. Again, so good news. The young massimist is off the ventilator and breathing Tuban has appeared to have turned the corner and continue to continue to turn the corner. But to your question about the injured list. Guys who are rehabbing can get more done either at Dodger Stadium with the physical training staff or in Arizona Cowback Raanch where you got a full staff there as well. You don't necessarily have to be with the team on the road. In Houston, you know, they they have a traveling staff, they have an athletic trainer, they have all that, Yes, but you can get more specialized individual work done at Dodger Stadium with the full weight room and everything that's there. At Dodger Stadium, you throw bullpen sessions, things get videoed. It's not just like Dave Roberts and the front office or three or four people can have to see it. And so wherever they're at on the road, you gotta go there. No things can be done away from the team, And that's what happens a lot, especially if you're rehabbing to Tommy John surgery. A lot of these guys they're not even with the team all year, and for home games, all of a sudden, they'll pop up in a dugout and you're like, hey, there's Dustin May, Hey, there's Clayton Kershaw, Hey, there's Tony Gonsolin's an example. Tony Gonsolin doesn't travel with the team, but you see him at the Dodger Stadium in the dugout for home games a lot of the times. Yeah, because he's rehabiting and working out and he's at Dodger Stadium. When the team's on the road, he's at Dodger Stadium working out their facility, strengthening in his arm, going through the routine of returning from.
Speaker 3: Tommy John surgery.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they don't have to be with the actual team in the dugout at the stadium on the road, wherever that city may be. They can get it done elsewhere. Eight seventy real quick, we'll take it one more call before we can take a break. Kevin in Culver City is next up here on Dodge Talf.
Speaker 3: What's up, Kevin? How you doing?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 6: Well, thank god, everything's okay. With little Maximums. There's only one reason to have it after the other guy. Everybody's in praying. He's been in my thoughts. Praise the family. So that's number one. I'm just happy to get that news. That's that's like, that's like a four series Dodger wins for me. So I'm doing cartwheels after you delivered that news. Great job on that, Tommy. Back to the team, man, yo yo. Jack Flaherty coming to Dodgers is huge. He's been my guy. I mean, Harvard Westlake, Burbank's finest. I mean he was talking about the Mama mentality, Kobe Bryant. I mean, this is huge for La and he wants to be here. Like when you look at this team, I remember there was one game just Marionnate on this real quickkr Bueller and Jack Claridy pitched against each other. I said, want to be something for these two guys to be on the same team. And he's finally here. And when you look at this roster, we could potentially in the playoffs have Tyler Glass now, Jack Clarity, Gavin stone Yovanodu Kursaw and possibly Bueler for a playoff run with Coca in the bullpen as possible. I think that's our closer, by the way, throwing one hundred miles an hour. We got a deep dep rotation. Andrew Freeman is a beast out on the trades, and then we got a factory in Mookie betts Otani and Freddie Freeman aren't together with Will Smith where he's supposed to be in Munsey. This is a world Series team. Everybody calmed down. This is a deep, deep squad. The Dodgers know what they're doing, and Jack Clarity is gonna be huge for this team down the stretch. A seven inning bulldog in La in Kobe Town's, oh, forget about it. This is big stuff. This is a huge, huge trade. Nobody's talking about. This is big, big for the city. Clarity and Glasshuw together, that's the one two punch I want to have for a World Series run.
Speaker 3: I love.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. Kevin Harvard westlay Heart High School stand up. Let's go Dodgers front of the rotation now, last two months of the season, going into October. When we come back, more of your phone calls. We'll get into the Olympic talk when it returns in twenty twenty eight. Baseball here in Los Angeles. An update on Walker Bueller. His outing is over in Tripa, Oklahoma City, so we'll get you caught up on what happened with him. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the number. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. Stop the panic, No need to panic, Dodger fans. Everything's going to be all right. Tim Kate's Ronnie Fosso and you here on this Thursday night off Night Dodger Talk Dodgers in Oakland tomorrow. We'll have all the action for a beginning at five thirty, first pitch at six forty right here on your home of the Dodgers A five seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Off Night Dodger Talk rolls on on this Thursday night, August first. Thanks for being with us Dodgers in Oakland tomorrow as they start a three game series against the A's Gavin Stone scheduled to get the start in the series opener. Jack Flaherty will get the start on Saturday night his Dodger debut. River Ryan scheduled to go on a Sunday. The Dodgers going to Oakland for the final time ever as the team moves to Las Vegas. But before they actually get to Vegas in twenty twenty eight, there has been a few seasons playing in a Triple A facility in Sacramento. It's gotten really contentious up there. Between the Council of Oakland and the city and the organization the Oakland A's. So they are calling it quits and leaving after this year. And got me remembering some of the moments in Oakland for the Dodgers, and there's not a lot of them because they didn't play each other for a long time being the American League and National League and then Interleague started years ago, and the Dodgers have been making trips to Oakland. I remember a time where Clayton Kershaw got so madd he threw the ball against the wall in Oakland. That was kind of a funny little memory. Certainly, it's a different stadium, it's an old stadium, and the Dodgers have some history there. All you gotta do is go back to nineteen eighty eight. Remember the World Series the Dodgers and the Big Bad Bash Brothers of the Oakland A's with Tony Laruss at the Helm, Jose Canseco and Mark McGuire, and they squared off in the eighty eight World Series. We know happening Game one of course, Kurt Gibson the home run off Dennis Eckersley at Dodgers Stadium on that October fifteenth, ninth Dodgers take a one zero series lead. The next night they come back and they shut out the A's six to nothing. Game three up at the Oakland, Alameda County Coliseum. The A's came back at one two to one. Dodgers won Game four the next night with a four to three win to go up three to one in the best of seven series. October twentieth, nineteen eighty eight, Dodgers in Oakland at the Oakland Alameda County Coliseum, taken on the A's at night, in which the Bulldog Oral Herscheizer helped clinch a World Series.
Speaker 1: Green too to.
Speaker 8: Lansford down the line from third with two out, Steinbach on deck five, two Dodgers in the ninth.
Speaker 3: Got him. They've done it, Like the.
Speaker 8: Nineteen sixty nine Mets, which the Impossible.
Speaker 9: Dream revisited.
Speaker 8: A basketball nine strikeouts for Hersheiser. He gives up a total of four hits.
Speaker 2: And look at the club.
Speaker 3: It looked like he was going to be replaced.
Speaker 8: But we hung in her pull dog is quitting and meanwhile Jose Canseco quietly goes back to the dressing room. The biggest single gun in the open now let its thoroughly muffled in the series, Mister Horror Herscheiser Senior can finally relax for a moment. The A's a great hitting ball club, n one seventy seven in the series and scored a total of eleven runners in five games. Never would have believed that unless you saw it. You'd have to attribute it to pretty good pitching, very good pitching, and especially by the leader on the staff, the master of the house or Hersheiser.
Speaker 2: One at night for Oral Hersheisers. The Dodgers won the nineteen eighty eight World Series, beating the Oakland A's five to two on the field there at the Oakland Alameda County Colls scene with the Dodgers will play for the final time this weekend. Who will ever forget that scene? The strikeouts putting both fists up in the air, Rick Dempsey jumping up and hugging and clutching on the Oral Herscheiser and the Dodger players then surrounding them and jumping in joy. And the celebration that occurred on the field there in Oakland against the A's back in nineteen eighty eight, Oral Herseeizer, by the way, Game five of that World Series, Complete Game two runs, four hits, struck out nine in getting the win. He finished two to zero in that World Series. So the Dodgers tomorrow will start a three game series final trip to Oakland. Ever, and that goes back to nineteen eighty eight with that magical moment on the field at the Oakland Alameda County Coliseum. Tony and Waittier is next up here on Dodge Talk on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: Hi, Tony, how are you hey?
Speaker 10: It was going on tim that much. I have a question, Well not even a question, but I just kind of want to say, I'm kind of liking this adversity to do this team station because let's be honest, they haven't played any meaningful games in August or September in a couple of seasons. So I mean I might, I might even, Okay, if the lead gets even, you know, a little bit smaller than that in the division. They need to university. They need to play meaningful games in August and September.
Speaker 7: Again.
Speaker 10: I'm ready for the postseason.
Speaker 4: I'm all for this. That's just that's just righting to let's just riding and see how far they can take it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it depends on how they face the adversity and how they get past that adversity. How do they handle it? And to your point, we haven't seen them a lot of adversity in the regular season, so quite frankly, I don't know how some of these players individually are gonna handle it, and certainly this collective group here in twenty twenty four, it's been so many injuries and so many guys coming in and out of that clubhouse. I don't know how they're gonna handle this adversity. You look at this team over the last five games, certainly haven't handled things well, not having their three boppers in the lineup, having Max Munsey gone for a while, having Freddie Freeman out with the family emergency, and having Mookie Betts out for the last month. The Dodgers on the road have not been able to come over that adversity. But you go back to what they've done at home post All Star Break, the Dodgers were really good and then they win five of six to come out of the All Star Break. At home, the Dodgers, for whatever reason, away from the ravine, just haven't been a very good team. They won six of seven. That's what it was they went six and one at home, three or four from the Giants, and they swept the Boston Red Sox in those three games to start the post All Star break. So, yeah, this group is gonna face adversity. I'm so curious to see how they face it and overcome it. And I think it is a good thing, absolutely, because they test you. It tests you individually, it'll test this group collectively, maybe force them to come together a little bit better. Maybe you find out more about the teammate to your left in the clubhouse, to your right in the clubhouse, find out a little bit more about them, how they're they're wired. And knowing that going into October, when you face that adversity again, whether it's a tough pitching matchup, whether it's a tough situation, a mistake on the field that you cannot let it grow and an air on the field let more runs come in. You got to squash that, that that blip on the field as quick as possible. Yeah, we'll find out what this group is all about here, certainly in the next few weeks. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. I mentioned the Summer Olympics are going on right now, and there's no baseball in the twenty twenty four Summer Games over in Paris.
Speaker 3: Now, there were.
Speaker 2: Games in the twenty twenty Tokyo Olympics. That's because Tokyo elected to have him as a temporary game as the host country Japan. Now, baseball was an exhibition sport for many, many years when the Olympics were here in nineteen eighty four. I'm old enough to have gone to those Olympics at the nineteen eighty four games at Dodger Stadium. I've got a team program still from the eighty four Games that has team pitchers and rosters of every team that was there, Australia, Dominican Republic, Canada, US, Great Britain. I forgot who else was that. Japan was there, Korea was there as well, And years later that was nineteen eighty four, nineteen ninety four. This is how old I am. Nineteen ninety four. Ten years later there was a baseball card convention in Anaheim, and I think it was the national the big one that goes around the country. And that was ten years after the eighty four Olympic team, and many of those players, including mcbarry Larkin, were there signing autographs, guys like Scott Bankkhead, Roger McDowell, I mean, Rod Dato was the coach, and God rest his soul. It was pretty cool. It was a ten years after the eighty four Olympic team and they were all there signing. Most of them were there signing autographs. So that was a cool moment in nineteen ninety four. And we're gonna get baseball back in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: Baseball and softball will be Olympic sports at the LA Olympics. And between then and now, Major League Baseball has to figure out a way to get their stars and their major league players to play in the summer games, not just because they're in the United States. It helps with the time difference and guys not having to travel halfway around the world to go play for a week and then come back and resume their season. You can trade this almost like an All Star break. Heck, you can tie it into an All Star break if you wanted. You're gonna lose a lot of your top players. But maybe you just make the All Star break a week and a half and you play the All Star Game and then you let the guys go play in the Olympics, but the World Baseball Classic, which is, you know, not the Olympics, but that kind of stage where you represent your team nationally and you play country v country. And we saw how epic these games were being played in Miami and all across the country. The last couple of years was the last one. Last year we had Mike Trout facing Shoho Tani, two teammates, square and off in the twenty three World Baseball Classic. It's fun, it's very cool, it's very exciting. Fans get into it, represent your country. Didn'd be kind of sweet to have that in the Olympics in twenty twenty eight. So I think it's important that baseball get itself out of its own way and the baseball players associated do the same, and the two sides come together and let's figure this out. Elongate the All Star break in twenty twenty eight. Maybe make it two weeks if you have to play an All Star Game, and then you could have the summer games be played over the course of a week throughout southern California, or at Dodger Stadium and Dodger Stadium, in Anaheim Stadium, whatever you need to do. To make multiple games happen. Let's figure this out.
Speaker 3: Let's get the.
Speaker 2: Olympics to have baseball with professional players, the superstars of the game. A stack Dominican Republic team, the Venezuelan team, a South Korean team, a Japanese team, a team US, say, with Bobby Witt Junior.
Speaker 3: Leading the way.
Speaker 2: Let's go. How awesome would that be. Let's get it done, Baseball. Let's get it done. Players Association, you have four years to figure it out. Ish in Riverside, next up here on Dodge Talk, how you doing, Ish?
Speaker 4: Hey, I'm doing pretty good.
Speaker 3: Jim, Hey you doing I'm doing good things?
Speaker 4: Well? Cool? Well, you know, I agree, man, that'd be really cool. I mean, our family we love World Baseball, you know, yeah, the.
Speaker 2: World Baseball Classics fining to watch, whether you're in person, we're watching on TV.
Speaker 3: It's a great experience.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean, and we're like a World Cup family too. So combining like World Cup with baseball just notice like a no greater you know what I mean? Then you have well first and foremost man from my family to the Freeman's. You know, definitely, you guys are in our thoughts and you know, we we want the best, uh you know for girl Max. So that's that's definitely wanted to say that. But you know, I had just two points tim, you know, one was regarding Kershaw's start last night and then the other one regarding the trades and whatnot with with Kersh. You know, that first inning was it was like magic, you know, I mean, he almost it was almost like a seven pitch inning. You know, there was the extra batle that came up right with I think it was an error on us, but still what was like one or two pitches later and he got out of that. I thought like, wow, we're seeing like the pitch Kershaw, you know. So the reason why I mentioned that too is I've seen Bueler have kind of the same out, and I think he got out of the first inning maybe on a second or third start, on like six pitches and then boom like the next inning.
Speaker 7: So I don't know what what what? What explains Like how can you have such a discrepancy between like a you know, the first inning with the one through three, one through four batters versus like you know, the middle of the order, you know what I mean? What are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You know, I think you're seeing a Padres team that is so used to facing a Clayton Kershaw. And last night, again he's not throwing ninety five miles an hour. He's hitting ninety US fastball and his slider had no bite to it, and that's a recipe for disaster. In his first start at Dodger Stadium, coming back from the shoulder injury, he had bite on the on the slider. He was mixing in his curveball, and that helps her fastball, which may only be ninety ninety one, get past guys and you get swinging missus. Last night, nothing on the slider fastball is what it is, and guys were laying off the curveball because he was having trouble throwing it for strikes. That's a recipe for disaster. And that's what happened last night. When you've got forty one swings and only two swinging misses, that's that is not good. And even Kershaw said that is really bad. His outing last night, which he couldn't get out of the fourth inning. Speaking of outings, tonight, Oklahoma City, the Oklahoma City Baseball Club, the Dodgers Triple A affiliate in El Paso taking on the Triple A affiliate there, Walker Bueller got the start. He went three and a third innings. He allowed three runs on seven hits, walked three, struck out six, got eleven swinging misses, and threw eighty six pitcheskay right away high pitch count, couldn't get out of the fourth inning, gave him three runs on seven hits. I mean, there's probably traffic on the bass pass. Three walks, yep, seven hits, three walks, a lot of guys on the bass pass. He was limited to three runs, struck out six, so he got out of some jams. Looks like this is my first impression looking at the numbers, and he had five guys steal bases off. He's now allowed ten stolen bases in two outies. He can't really read into that. A good friend, Eric Steven at Truberu Lela said you got to kind of put that aside because he's probably not worried about the base runners. He's working more as pitching on a rehab assignment, which is absolutely true. Spot on, He's right, but I'm not sure if this is positive, if this is the next step for Walker Buealer coming back three in the third innings, three runs, seven hits, three walks, struck out six, A lot of traffic on the bass pass, but got out of a jam.
Speaker 3: Eleven swing and misses. We'll see.
Speaker 2: I think he's still another start in the minor leagues away from a decision being made. I don't think this was that next jump that the Dodgers front office and the coaching staff wanted to see. I think they probably wanted to see him go deeper into game eighty six pitches, somewhere in the sixth inning, least a fifth inning, But to not even get out of the fourth inning on eighty six pitches, A lot of traffic on the base pass, not where he wanted to be. Eight six, six, nine, eighty seven to two, five seventy. We'll take a break. We'll come back if we have time. We'll try to get to your phone calls. If not, we got a farm report. Next trade deadline is coming gone. Top prospects are still here? What are they doing? Where are they at? We'll tell you next off Night Dodger Talk here on AM FI seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio. Off Night Dodger Tah continues here on a five seventy LA Sports Tim Kates with you here until the top of the hour. Thanks for being with us live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Dodgers back added tomorrow in Oakland for a three game series against the A's. The Dodgers will send out Gavin Stone in this series. Opener Wronggo Casino. Dodgers on deck starts at five thirty. First pitch from Oakland is at six point forty. The trade deadline has come and gone in Major League Baseball. On the Dodgers, for the most part, held on to their top minor league prospects, so they're gonna stay with the Dodgers for the remainder of this year.
Speaker 3: Let's tell you who they are and what they're doing. Let's go down on the phone.
Speaker 2: Dalton Rushing the dodgers number one overall prospect, a top fifty prospect according to MLB dot Com. Second round pick in twenty twenty two out of Louisville. The twenty three year old catcher, first baseman, designated hitter, a left handed hitter, and he is good. He's in Double A right now. In Tulsa's seventy three games, two sixty average, fifteen doubles, got a lot of power with thirteen home runs.
Speaker 9: Swinging a drive out to right field forget it wow, way over the lazy river.
Speaker 3: Dalton Rushing exited this ballpark in a hurry.
Speaker 2: One hundred and eight miles an hour off the back four hundred and six feet is third home bro out of this series. Tulsa Drillers Radio Network at the call, fifty one ribies for Dalton Rushing, who's got an eight to forty three op. Yes, there's a reason they held on to him at the trade deadline when a lot of teams were asking for him. In return, O swey De Paula, nineteen year old outfielder. He started the year in a ball with Rancho Cucamonga. He's now with the Great Lakes Loons in High Aid, the Dodgers' number two overall prospect. Twenty one game so far since being promoted to twenty seven average, two doubles and a couple of home runs.
Speaker 11: Swung on and scorched in the air deep right center field. Doesn't happen. No, oh yeah, oh sway to Paula delivers his second home run and first here in down diamond.
Speaker 3: Tree ninety eight.
Speaker 11: One oh one off the bat and just like that, a whole.
Speaker 2: Different ballgame at six ' four Great Lakes Loons Radio Network with the call.
Speaker 3: He's also got twenty two walks.
Speaker 2: He's got an ops oh swaeyapaula of seven to seventy five. Nick Frosso, the Dodger top pitching prospects and number three overall in the system.
Speaker 3: Twenty five year old.
Speaker 2: Right hander has not pitched this year after offseason laborum surgery.
Speaker 3: River Ryan.
Speaker 2: He has been promoted and with the Dodgers he's gonna get the start on Sunday in Oakland against the A's Kyle Hurt. Twenty six year old right hander is Hurt. We saw him briefly with the Dodgers in Triple A. Tried to give it a go. Shut him down though a few weeks ago. Tommy John surgery. Jackson Ferris second round pick of the Cubs two years ago. The Dodgers acquired him in the offseason in the trade. He is their sixth overall prospect. A left hander, young and high. A ball at the Great Legs Loons and he's a strikeout machine.
Speaker 9: It's three to two cold strike three wrung up on low heat another two Strike Talk, Cold Strike three, Fastball Outer half three two got him swinging elevated heat. Seven punches for Jackson Ferris.
Speaker 2: Leni's radio network, The Call seven punchouts in this start. He's got one hundred and thirteen strikeouts on this season. Nineteen starts in Great Lakes three and four, record three sixty nine ERA in ninety and a third innings pitched. It's only giving up four home runs and only walked thirty nine batters. Diego Kartai, at one time was the dodgers Number one overall prospect, now considered number seven overall for the Dodgers in their minor leagues. Twenty two year old catcher in Triple A, Oklahoma City. He's actually hitting better than he was in Tulsa. They promoted him a few weeks ago. Twenty one games, two thirty five average, three doubles and.
Speaker 3: Two home runs.
Speaker 2: Peyton Martin, seventeenth round pick in twenty twenty two, ninth overall prospect, a twenty year old right hander. They started him slow out of spring training to get him to go a little deeper into the season. He's in High A Ball with the Great Lakes Loons after starting the year in Rantakoucamonga eight starts one and four to forty one era in thirty four in two third innings Kendall George. He is nineteen years old, the Dodgers first round pick a year ago five to ten, one hundred and seventy top ten prospect for the Dodgers. Low a ball in Rancho Cucamaga seventy two games to seventy seven average, three doubles, four triples, a home run, not a lot of power. He's a speedster, though, with thirty one stolen bases. Joe Andrey Vargas, eighteen year old shortstop. Dodgers signed him out of the Dominican Republic. He's in rookie ball thirty eight games, hitting over three hundred and at ops.
Speaker 3: Near nine hundred.
Speaker 2: Alex Friedland, twenty two year old shortstop, third round pick of the Dodgers in twenty twenty two out of Central Florida. He is skyrocketed up into the Dodgers' top twenty as far as prospects, and now considered the twelfth overall prospect according to MLB dot Com at MLB Pipeline, seventy games, two forty three average, fourteen doubles, ten home runs and thirty three RBI on this season. After tearing it up in High A ball, he is now in Double A Tulsa. Maddix Brunns has been on the il since May. He had five starts pitched well before they shut him down. Ronan Cop twenty two year old left in Double A, twelfth round pick in twenty twenty one. In twenty three games, he's two and one with a five to twelve eer ras got forty one strikeouts coming out of the bullpen in thirty one in two thirty innings. How about some guys outside the top twenty as far as the prospects are concerned, but still having great seasons. Ryan Ward eighth round picking twenty nineteen out of Bryant. He is twenty six years old, so he's a little on the older side as far as prospects. He plays left field. He's a left handed bat, and he's got a ton of power right now in TRIPLEA Oklahoma City.
Speaker 1: Here's his pitch swings in hits a fly ball deep right center field, Taylor and Ellis jogging back.
Speaker 3: HiT's gone two run over.
Speaker 1: Ryan Ward coming went two strikes and two outs here of the six in in giving Oklahoma City a two to one lead. Here's twenty six of the year to lead the league and OKC we're their first lead today on the home Run by Ward.
Speaker 3: Ok SE Radio Network.
Speaker 2: At the call seventy nine games, he leads Triple A with twenty six home runs, nineteen doubles, seventy seven RBI and a nine to thirty two oh PS.
Speaker 3: Having a great year.
Speaker 2: Ben Kisperius twenty five year old fifth round pick out of Yukon in twenty twenty one. He started the year in Double A, now he's in Triple A Oklahoma City. The big right hander eleven starts in Triple A two and two three, twenty eight RORA, forty nine in the third innings and fifty two strikeouts. Jack Dryer twenty five year old left hander in Triple A Oklahoma City. Started the year in Double A twenty two appearances, four to one, two oh three e RRA, thirty six strikeouts in just twenty six and two third innings. Edgardo Hernriquez twenty two year old right hander out of Venezuela. He is a hard throwing big guy. He throws one hundred, one hundred and one hundred and two one hundred and three miles an hour.
Speaker 3: He moved up from High A ball to A ball and now he's in Double A.
Speaker 2: Fifteen appearances so far in Tulsa, twenty two strikeouts in sixteen in a third inning.
Speaker 3: So you're all caught to date what's happening on the farm.
Speaker 2: Some of the names we've been talking about all season long, even going back to last year and the year before that, as Dodgers' top prospects, they've held on to most of them. They Ron Loronzo, the dodgers number eight overall prospect, the catcher who was in High A Ball. He got dealt to the Detroit Tigers as part of the deal for Jack Flaherty. But the Dodgers minor league system top prospects looking good here in twenty twenty four and beyond. Some of these names we could see still called up here in twenty twenty four, all these injuries the Dodgers are going through, and certainly we'll see some of these names in the years to come. All Right, that's gonna do it for off Night Dodger Talk. Many thanks to you for listening and being a part of this show, calling in and of course podcasting as well on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcast. Thanks to Ronnie Fossio for all his help today and tonight here on Dodger Talk Again. Petrol Some Money will be live at Brewery Exit Anaheim beginning at two o'clock tomorrow two to five thirty. All Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck. Starting at five thirty first first pitch from Oakland Dodgers and the a's Gavin Stone on the mound. First pitch set at six point forty. Until then, have a great save rest of your Thursday night. Fox Sports Radio is next