Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: Better late than never. Let's get the five o'clock hours started here on a Thursday afternoon Coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety Nick Coffee. That's me Austin Montgomery. He's the travel chief alongside running the operation. As we take you up until six o'clock? Is it? We? Are we going to get more rain? I mean I've heard the updates there during the break from our our team over WKY Keep. I mean the sun's been shining and they keep talking about the river is cresting. Yes, which is good. Although although it wasn't it again. I don't know you guys heard, but I got up three thirty this morning. Hey did you know that? Yeah? I mentioned it yet.
Speaker 3: Wait wait a minute, were you on wha ass Yep?
Speaker 2: That was me three thirty way up call. Yes, this will be seven hours of radio for me today. It's dedicated to the game. I mean that, you know, love this love this stuff a little bit more muscular. I wanted to do ten today, but they said no, you got to go home. Yeah, they're gonna kick me out of here.
Speaker 3: They've got to drag you out of here.
Speaker 2: But when I saw yesterday so many people being rescued by the first responder boats that look, you know, I'm sure they're not literally just like blow up boats, but they kind of look like it, right, Uh, you know, I see that. And then this morning on my way and it was raining pretty good, and I'm like, this cannot be good. But then you know, it sounds like we've had some good sunshine. But then, you know, I go to De Mark with a Sea and see his latest update and he's he's scaring me again. That's what he's good. He's good at it.
Speaker 3: He's in his bag.
Speaker 2: He is in his bag. But he posted this about thirty I mean again, this is another example of you never know what you're gonna get weather around here this time of year. But when we get to the caves that we're in here Austin, like, I just assumed that the weather hasn't changed a whole lot since you know, I walked in here two and a half hours ago. But apparently there's like small hail possible in in in Bullet County on Barchtown Road about thirty minutes ago, and then earlier, Mark with the C posted another great example of the weak mid level wind energy today. Notice the storm pulsed in the west Louisville and then immediately collapsed, generating a new updraft to its southeast. I'm just trying to see what's going on here, Mark, tell me what we're what we got so apparently there was hail and shively just within the last hour. So here I am thinking that it's decent weather and we got we got storms coming through, so stay safe everybody. I mean, I was, uh, who was it I was talking to. It's gonna drive me crazy because it's not even somebody anybody knows, But somebody said something that was really like unexpected, but man, so true. I was given somebody a hard time. Might have been one of the Yeah, it was one of my buddes who went on our trip with us to to uh to Navarre last week for spring break, and he was just talking about how like he never keeps up with the weather at all, Like he never even checks it, doesn't like doesn't pay attention. He just you know, he just you know, doesn't even pay attention, doesn't care you know, if he goes outside and it's hot. He goes in and you know, dresses appropriately that kind of stuff, and I'm like, how could you not keep up? And he he kind of dunked on me, Austin, because he said, what am I gonna do about it? He's right, Mother Nature's gonna do what she's gonna do. True, and no reading, and there's no reason to worry about it. Although you know, I will say I'm glad that I, uh, I had I had my my my phone in front of me because when we were driving through Nashville. I mean, I again, I'm not following anybody who covers Nashville weather. And we're driving back from Florida, and I mean quite literally, like a tornado, you know, small tornado comes through downtown Nashville, like we're right there on the interstate next to it, and we didn't never known had it not been for like the iPhone that goes off automatically if you're if you you know, knows your location and you're near where there's as a tornado warning, and uh, you know, we took cover. And by the way, I did pull up YouTube TV on my phone to kind of because I knew if I went to local channels on YouTube TV while in Nashville, it'll it'll pick up where you are and show those local channels. And Mark's got a got a competitor in Nashville. Oh, a female meteorologist. Got to be honest with you. She was a little more dramatic than than Mark. What she now again, she was actually talking about a real tornado that was in fact, like you know, happening that she needed to make everybody aware of.
Speaker 3: But do you remember her name was? It was it Katie with the sea.
Speaker 2: I wasn't paying as much attention to h to the name oh gating more attention to her to be honest with you, just you know, because she's a great meteorologist right right.
Speaker 3: You just want to see her green screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But she gave a lot of like oh uh oh god ah like instead of just like just tell me if we're gonna die, lady, like, oh I don't oh man, that does that doesn't look good. And she had like her colleague I think his name was Bill, Oh Bill, Bill, you see this Bill, Like, we don't know what we don't we can't, we don't know what you're talking about. Just tell us and here we are just on the side of the road trying not to die and uh yeah, very scary situation.
Speaker 4: But well, why you were gone last week? Did you see that? Uh Mark was kind of trending online on.
Speaker 3: TikTok because he went viral. Yeah, he went viral because of the well.
Speaker 2: You know, he put his hands because he's dramatic as hell. There was one it was due, there was one I was gummies in and I one of those. One of those popped up the videos of him on TikTok and it was like somebody not from louisll that was like you got to see this Louisville meteorologist. Dude is like he's he's like they were they couldn't contain. I think we probably are talking about the same video. But there's one where he's like walking to the like closer towards the camera for like for effect, dramatic effect, and then he like puts his hands in his pockets like I mean, I think we're talking about tornado here.
Speaker 4: Guys, because he was he was trying to explain like he was performing it is what he was doing.
Speaker 3: He was like his.
Speaker 4: Back, this isn't a tornado, like and he puts his hands in his pocket, walks forward like, hey, guys, this is a tornado. No, this is a tornado. And it's it's theatrics with that guy.
Speaker 3: He's like Rob Zombie.
Speaker 2: Great is that he has zero and I mean zero while on live television to know how anybody is reacting one way or the other to what he's saying. But my man, it's like he's on he's on stage because he you know, he's he's in he's behind it. He's in front of a green screen. He's in front of a camera. Like there's not an audience that he can see. It's not like he's checking what people are saying as it happens, but like he just knows to be like, guys, I mean, are we Are we taking this serious? I mean are we? I mean, come on now? And now he doesn't do what others do when they really want you to know they're all about. I mean, when Jay Carter's he rolls up those sleeves, that's when I know I gotta say my prayers. Yeah the sports coach, Yeah, sport coats off, sleeves are rolled up. You know a little bit of a sweat, you know, like a little bit of a sweat in the brow hair is starting to come ungelled. And what what I love about meteorology is that there's a cattiness to it, right, Like they don't really like publicly feud with one another, but they very Twitter has really exposed that. You wouldn't know as much if you just watched them on TV. But like, there'll be people that know what what Mark with a C is saying, and they want to they want to counter, like they want to basically maybe say the same thing but throw a little bit of a different twist so they could potentially, you know, be right, like there's a Caddy seventh grade girl, Uh, you know, component to some some meteorology beef that's out there, and I'm maybe it's a stretch to call it beef, but you know, they take what they like and I can respect it. I don't like being, you know, scared to where I think I'm gonna maybe you know, die, but you know, in fact I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die, Like, you know, it'd be nice to get a heads up so I could take cover. But like sometimes when mother Nature's decided what she's gonna do, we just got to accept it. But all in all, and I mean this, and I'm being very sincere. I can always appreciate somebody who takes what they do seriously. Yeah times, maybe too seriously. But think about this. If you go to a maybe this is in the best example, but I was actually telling this to somebody the other day. If you go to a restaurant, a fast food place, sit down, whatever it may be, and your experience like is good all the way around. Where you got your food on time, it was delicious, it was exactly what you ordered. You didn't have to wait too long for the waiter or waitress to bring you another beer or a coke, whatever it may be. Like, your service was really good, but it was just because of what was done, not because of any type of like emotion or energy from the person, because really that's ultimately what matters. But I will say, I don't know how you could argue against this if you get the same exact service when it comes to like again what I just said. Your food's good, it's made to order, it's fresh, you're you're not looking around for your server, but one is way more clearly happy to be doing it than the other. You will notice that every single time you will leave now again, if you had great service and the waiter what, you know, chummy and happy, that's okay too. You're not gonna believe thinking that service was terrible. But if it's good and then somebody just looks like they're you know, they're enjoying what they do and they know they're good at it, like that goes a long way. So people who do meteorology meteorologists, I should say people who do people who do weather. I'm sure that's not the right way to describe it. You know, what they do is very important and they take themselves serious, and I can respect that. But sometimes, you know, sometimes it's a little much.
Speaker 3: Also very thankless job too.
Speaker 4: It's because no like you can just get back on the internet and say, boom, see told you we did get smacked with eight inches of snow or no.
Speaker 2: You're spot on. You never ever are even acknowledged or even nobody knows if you get it right. But if you get it wrong even a little bit, you're getting crushed. And that's why if you remember when we got that big winter storm in January, I probably overcompensated, but I did go out of my way to say, look, we're going to crush them when they're wrong, but when they're right, like because if you remember, everybody was pretty consistent for the most part about what they were projecting was gonna happen, and it was exactly what happened, like to a t the amount of snow we got, the time that it started, how long it would last. So you know, I'll give him some credit. Sometimes they get it right and they need they need acknowledgement. If we're gonna crush him wh they're wrong, let's prop them up when they get it right. All right. The big news today Pat Kelsey got a contract extension, he got a raise, and that's good news all the way around. He is now making three point six million dollars per year and that's a bump from his two point three million dollar contract that he signed last March. And he's also received some uh, I guess enhanced what do you call him performance bonuses? Right like he'll make the same amount of money for certain accomplishments like acc Coach of the Year, National Coach of the Year. But there's now some some some bigger incentives built in as far as uh, you know, if Louisville makes a if Louisville makes a final four, he will receive a let's see, the final four is a two hundred and fifty thousand dollars bonus, and then he'll receive also, I think I'm reading this correctly, he'll receive a four hundred thousand dollars base increase, and he can get that up to two times. So if he makes a final.
Speaker 3: Four, face big bass.
Speaker 2: If he makes two final fours, he's going to be making eight hundred thousand dollars more a year. I have been to think that if he makes one final four, he'll get a new contract making him a lot more money than he makes now, or he won't be our coach. Right. I hate and again I probably was a little. I tried my best. It was probably a terrible segment, not that I do many great ones, but I don't think anybody's done anything wrong. This all in all is good news. But I would be a liar if I didn't share what I thought, and I think that's my job. I'm supposed to share my opinions. It really did, like I just we knew this was going to happen. He was going to get a contract extension. Josh was actually on with Terry Miners, a few weeks ago, and and you know, flat out said we're working on it, and they got it done. But I just assume this this raise would put him between four and five, and he's not far from four, but he's still not a top thirty paid coach in college basketball. And that I don't say that to say like, oh, that's an issue. Somebody's got to fix this right now, because you know, it's just it's Louisville is paying him probably the best that they can, right and I hope that he understands that. I think that he understands that. So again he got a big bump and pay, and I'm glad somebody reminded me of this. I kind of talked about it earlier, but on the text line, somebody mentioned he just got a one million dollar raise, whereas he probably never made anything close to a million dollars anywhere else he's ever coached. So when you look at you know, the latter he's climbed in the last three four years. My man's doing really well. But Louisville paying a coach who they really like and want to keep forever. And hope, you know, again, it's just one season, but right now there's momentum. Not only has he put a good team together in his first season, he's now got a team in year two that is believed to be by those who covered college basketball, one of the top ten teams in the country right now. And Louisville clearly, you know knows that, and we last I checked, we you know, we care about basketball as much, if not more than anybody around here in college basketball, certainly up there. So I just to me, it really stands out that many I know they love him, I know they don't want to lose him, but that raise and pay I just I happen to believe that it's more so just the best they can do than okay, we'll give you a little bit of something for a good first year. But I could be totally wrong. Josh Hurd, I will say this he I don't want to speak for him, and I don't even want to insinuate that like this is this is something I believe. I'm just throwing it out There is just this scenario that isn't that crazy. Maybe he is saying, look, this is this is a this is a good bump for him after one year, and will continue to evaluate it on a year by your basis and make right as we need to. And if that's the case, then you know that makes sense given that Louisville is still paying any Payne a lot of money to not coach them. They just got done, I believe, paying Chris mac not to coach, and they are also dealing with they revenue shortfall where they did not have anybody buying tickets and showing up to games like we're used to around here. So clearly finances are not in great shape because of the basketball program in the previous regime that we had. So maybe this is just the best they can do, or maybe, you know, Josh is one of these ads that's gonna maybe change sort of how it's done, or maybe he's going to be unique compared to others and not give unnecessary extensions and raises. This was clearly necessary. I think you needed to give Pat a bump. I think he earned it, and clearly he agreed to it, he signed, and I assume he's really happy. But Josh Heard did something that a lot of athletic directors would not do. And when I say this, people act like I'm criticizing Josh Hurt, and I'm not. It's just the facts, Josh Heard or you know, Josh Magoo could have been the athletic director. And I still think Jeff Brown would have been the coach here. That's not a criticism of Josh Heard, that's just that's just the situation. Jeff Brohm, he wanted to come home to Louisville and it was time. But what led to the job opening is where I give Josh Hurt a lot of credit. Most athletic directors would have been scared of Jimmy Sexton, Scott Satterfield's agent, and they would have given Scott Saderfield that unneeded extension and we all know it wasn't worthy. But if it would have happened, I probably wouldn't even have wouldn't even have been that critical. I probably would have because I was really out on Saderfield. But like it's kind of just the cost of doing business. That's how this works, right, Like, if you've got a coach going up in their final year of their contract, they're gonna tell you how can I recruit? How can I build a staff when you guys aren't committed to me after one just one more year? And it's a legitimate point, but you can't use that to just get like that that's a bad way of doing business, right, Like, yeah, you're right, but like you think you've you think you've earned more money in more years on your deal. Because if you feel like that, that's what you lead with. If you're leading with, how am I supposed to recruit, Well, it's because you're not good enough. You know, if you were good enough, the contract would have already been done and everybody would know you're going to be here for long haul. So that led to Scott Siderfield realizing I got to go find it because, to be fair, he would not have been able to succeed in any way if he didn't get a new contract because his staff was already falling apart because they were told he wasn't going to get a new deal. And honestly, like we never saw Scott Siderfield coach without Malie Cunningham as quarterback, never developed one here. So I bring all this up to say, you know, Josh did something then that I still think would be rare to do now, and it certainly was rare then. So maybe he's just going to be a little bit more mindful after, you know, learning the hard way that and I don't even know who. I mean, it's not even worth getting into. But like Kenny Payne, clearly that was a bad hire, and I could acknowledge that. I've always said that you should never hire a guy who's never been a head coach at a place like Louisville. But at the time hard for me to be overly critical. Again, I'm not the one making the decision, I'm not qualified. So the guy who did make it, Josh, he was clearly influenced by others. He wouldn't say it, but we all know he was hiring Kenny alone. Was again, like, clearly a decision that didn't work out. But what I think was just a real sign of like what are you doing here? Is that why did he need that contract like that? That to me was like insanity. A guy who'd never coached before at all and he had a deal that like And I think what it comes down to is that Kenny quite literally did not want the job. He told it. I mean, I never actuate he wanted the job. And then I guess in order to actually get him you had to give him something that he wouldn't turn down, which was that crazy contract where he was paid a ton of money and had a crazy buyout. So maybe it's just Josh being a little bit more, you know, a little bit more mindful of how he's spending money. And if that's the case, makes total sense. But what I really mentioned here and there, as we've talked about this throughout the show today, is that because of what happened prior to to p K, you're now here still in what I believe is unfamiliar territory. That if, in fact, let me just give you a hypothetical, Let's say who's a who's a really which coach right now has like all the juice, like like real, like not just like good, but like momentum like this guy, man, he's right like Todd Golden.
Speaker 3: Todd Golden.
Speaker 2: Let's say that the Denver Nuggets decided they want Todd Golden, and let's say Florida's like, all right, we picked Todd Golden from the likes of San Francisco. Let's go get Pat Kelsey. Yeah, he's at Louisville, but they're paying him three point six million. We can triple that. We wouldn't, but we can double that, and it's not a big deal because we're Florida we're in the sec we got we got bags of money. It's just unfamiliar territory to know that a school can look at Louisville and say, oh, we'll double their offer. Now, Louisville I don't think would ever let him leave. I think they would find money to match any offer that he got. But again, like Louisville's never been in a position where we have ever had to worry about our coach, Like when Danny turned down you cla and then you went from Denny to Rick Patino. I mean, it was always possible, but it would take a really unusual circumstance for you to lose your coach to another school because Louisville is one of the one of the premier programs. It's not the best job, but it's in the top ten certainly maybe top five. And yeah, you know, even if like Kansas opened and you're at Kentucky or vice versa, yes you could make the case that Kentucky's better, but you're at Kansas, like, I mean, you really want to rock if they want you, You're doing really well. You know, it's just not worth you know, shaking things up. So again, I don't think Louisvill's in any potential danger of losing Pat Kelsey, because again, I think they're doing the best they can and if an offer came in that Josh Urd knows. Hey, my job now is to retain this guy that we know has gone up to a great start of getting this thing turned around. All right, real quick, we'll talk about this on the other side. We got to get to a break, bet. I do at least want to share the news that was put out there just within the last twenty minutes by Jeff Goodman that Louisville and Indiana are going to play a non conference basketball game coming up this season, So Pat Kelcey versus Darien Debris. It'll be on December sixth, that Gamebridge Arena in Indianapolis, the arena of the Pacers. So love this non conference matchup, and Louisville needs as many of these as they can get if the ACC is like it was last year. And I don't even know if Indiana is going to be any good, But all I know is last year it bent that ass over at the Bahamas. I mean, that was problem me. I'm sure you know Indiana. They had a lot of other lumps along the way. But like that was the first time Indiana fans, all right, we try to convince ourselves Mike Woodson was going to be the guy and then Pat Kelsey showed up dunked on him.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, you're not taking into account this recruiting class at Deverrises as that debris is bringing in, Like you can there occasion. These guys are fundamental, very tough minded and deceivingly athletic. And yes, deceivingly athletic. Okay, so you don't disparage those.
Speaker 2: He's got a type of those who don't know my man Devrez has added three transfers in the portal and live being wrong with it. But like it's a noticeable thing. All Caucasians doesn't mean they can't ball. I mean there's a lot of good Caucasian hoopers out there. Cooper Flag, you kidding me? But Nick Coffee, I don't know about that, but I appreciate the compliment. There you go, I like being you know, not nothing wrong with you know, I'm never gonna be complaining about getting gassed up here. All right, so let's take a break. We'll talk about this matchup that we're gonna have on the other side, because I do think more games like this is good for college hoops. And also Eric Crawford pointed out something from Josh Hurts Press conference day that I want to discuss. It's regarding conference re alignments. So again, we don't have a whole lot of time left, but stick around. We're going to make the most of what we have right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Like Snoop Dog's got to be one of those guys that, like, no matter what they do, people are just gonna say, yes, he Snoops the cool like Snoop Dolly Parton, like and compare them for a lot of reasons obviously, but like they seem to be like I don't think their run's ever running out, right, Like they're they're legendary.
Speaker 4: He's He's him and Martha Stewart and like you said, Dolly are going to have that. Uh I know, Martha Stewart's not a not a musician, musician, but like they're going to have that. The run doesn't end, Yes, it's just gonna stay relevant exactly Like and then now he's kind of dipping into this country because that's his new latest song with Ernest. He's doing whatever he can to uh, you know, make money, that's right, And he's making a lot because he's you know, he's the Snoop do O double G. He's always going to like as long as he's alive, he is always going to be like one of the first people that these big companies go for for like let him be like the MC at this event, or letting him host.
Speaker 2: This ambassador for your brand so you can afford him like people will do it. Yeah, he's uh, he's a legend all right. Speaking of legends, Doctor Wood Louisville Men's Clinic a real legend around here. He's been helping gentlemen like yourself, gentlemen like me with variety of different uh issues, I think is the right way to describe it. I mean, it's not something that's you know, gonna gonna put you in in danger, but like, who would who would choose to have a rectiltiest function? Nobody who would choose to not do anything about it when you know you have it. Silly people that maybe don't realize that there's folks out there like doctor Wood at the Little of Men's Clinic that can help you, so rectulis function, Perni's disease, low testosterone, weight loss, therapy, hair restoration. There's a lot of services they provide at the Love of Men's Clinic, And uh, you may not even realize that your life could be better. You could be happier and healthier, and the only way to find out is to go have a conversation with him. So give them a call FABO two four four four four thousand. Little Men's Clinic dot com is the website. Tell them we sent you, and uh, I think you'll be happy that you did. All right, so real quick, not a whole lot of time left. But earlier today Josh Hurt had his press conference to discussed a variety of things, one being Pat Kelsey's contract extension, as he is now making a lot more than he did a year ago, a million more. But you know, as we've discussed, at least I've discussed, I just I just assumed it'd be higher. But again, I'm sure they're doing what's most responsible for the university because obviously they're still paying for what happened. And you know, the last time they hired a coach prior to PK. But another thing that Eric Crawford pointed out is that, and I'll just read Eric's tweet directly. It's it's probably the first time I've heard Josh heard talking an Open Athletic Association meeting about anticipating further conference realignment shifts quote when TV contracts run out, and working to propose working to position Louisville to be on the right side of that shift. So I didn't hear Josh today, but I've always noticed whenever and this isn't a criticism, this is what probably most athletic directors do. But anytime the ACC's future would be brought up, obviously there's been some drama. There was the lawsuit with Clemson in Florida State, and you're locked in till twenty thirty six, whereas the other conferences are just you know, they're going to be able to re up a couple of times and make even more money than you're making now. They they did make a change to where you can actually earn more depending upon results and performance, which is the way it should be. In fact, I think you're actually going to see that be the next wave. I think the ACC believe it or not, Jim Phillips did do something that will become a trend which is realized, you know, especially when you got twenty million annually. Now you've got to share revenue. That could be the thing to where Alabama's no longer cool with Vandy getting the same cut from the SEC. Right, So there have been some improvements made, but Josh's usually just been like, you know, we value our conference. He's just given you the which you would typically hear an athletic director say who was speaking positively about the conference. So I'm not saying he didn't speak positively today, but at least mentioned making sure Louisville is prepared to be on the right side when that shift happens and the TV contracts. You know, here's what worries me about that Louisville could make some some drastic improvements. I mean, louis was already in a pretty good spot athletically. I mean, you just played in the AEC Championship game two years ago in football, you played in the AEC Championship in basketball, So when it comes to the ACC, you know, leftovers. If in fact the league gets rated, you're not going to be first in line, but you may not be far from it, right, I mean, you have a big reach, believe it or not. Your football viewership is up there towards the top of the league. It's not number one, but you know, you're you're pretty you're doing pretty well when it comes to you know, the rest of your league. Now, again, what really factors in is always seemingly inconsistent as far as what leagues would really want when they do out, when they do expand, but that ship is eventually going to happen. But when the TV contracts run out in the SEC and the Big ten and they re up, and they maybe want to expand to add more money. If you're in the ACC, like it's twenty thirty six until you can leave, you know what I mean. So I just I still believe the ACC. Whatever happens, the benefit is that they're all stuck together because nobody's gonna be able to leave. I mean, yeah, they did reduce I guess what it cost to get out of the conference, but it's still not a reasonable or realistic thing for seemingly any school unless they went out and got like private funding to take care of it, which I guess is possible. But again, I just I think Eric was spot on that. You know, Josh usually doesn't even mention that, and he wasn't asked. He just mentioned that they're working to make sure that the athletics department is solid successful, gaining momentum to where when you do get to that point and there is sort of a divide, has Josh said a shift that you're you're on the right side of it, all right? Uh? Rick Patino year one in saane A, year two, I should say and say at Saint John's was was successful. They fell short in the tournament, and of all teams to send Patino in Saint John's home, it was Calipari and Arkansas, which I'm sure is still a real, you know, a real issue for Rick. I mean, he can say what he wants, but that of all of all coaches to endure season, you never want your season to end at all. But like, there's no way there could be a coach who who would have been further behind Caliperry as far as the list of coaches that you would prefer to in your season. So anyways, Rick still has momentum. I think he'll end up putting together another really good team. And we all know he's a great coach, but he's now in his you know, he's now in where he belongs, I think, and that's New York City, right. He's he's he's a city slicker. He's Ricky p He is not the big ticket in town in New York because you know, they've got pro teams, the Knicks, the Jets, the Yankees, the Mets. I mean even Brooklyn, like Saint John's is nowhere near a top priority for those who cover sports in that market. It's New York City. However, Patino gives them their best chance of getting some real momentum because they were really good this year, won the Big East for the first time in like forever. And he's Rick Patino. He's a he's he himself is a larger than life figure within sports that you know, he's still not probably getting the love he'd get if he was in a small market like Louisville. But like, he's Rick Patino, so he would probably be wise to try to, you know, get Yankees fans, Mets fans, Jets fans, Giants fans who have no allegiance or care at all about Saint John's basketball, Like maybe they adopted for the first time in their life as fans because it's New York's team and it's Rick Patino. But he said something that that you know, didn't do him any favors as far as getting Yankees and Mets fans to join in on the red storm. So I'm reading here from NJ dot com. This is Adam Zagoria, who shared Rick Petina. Let me see where's the quote? Yeah, he asked, he's Rick Petino says he's always been a fan of both the Mets and the Yankees, and and here here is why. Here's why. Here's his explanation to that. This is when I guess he threw out the first pitch at a Mets game recently.
Speaker 4: I think you're on record saying you or both the Yankees and Mets fan, what was the nature of your baseball fan I'm growing up in today.
Speaker 5: Well, as a kid, I used to go watch Mickey Manno, Roger Maris even reserves like Hector Lopez, Johnny Blanchet, Kuebec, Richison Cletis boy, one of a great third basement of all time. White he fought on the mound, Yogi, And you know it's you grow up as a youngster sitting in the bleach of seats, I think for a dollar eighteen at the time, if I can remember with my two girl cousins while I lived with my grandmother in the Bronx. But I was always a met fan of Kuzman and Siva and going back to Tommy ag and I'm one of the few people that rooted for both teams. Anything with n Y on it, I'm one hundred percent behind it.
Speaker 2: So I don't really have any criticism for what he says there because of the position that he's in. He'd be foolish too. I mean, that's probably the right play, but when you talk about like a rivalry, nobody wants to hear that, right, Like if you are a Yankees fan and you hear that he also supports the Mets the hell out of here Rick vice versas same thing. I mean, it's probably not something you really care that much about, because you probably don't care about saying Jo's basketball, to be honest with you, But you know, it's it's like whenever Louisville fans, I don't think it's ever been like a big deal. But Mayor Greenberg, he is a U of L fan for real, Like he is a big supporter of u of L when they're playing Kentucky. He's all in on Louisville. He went to u of L. Like, trust me, Craig is absolutely a Louisville fan for like, no doubt about it. But he's also the mayor of the city that you have a humongous amount of both fans, and he'd be a fool to be out here, you know, making like acting like he hates UK. So it's just kind of you know, I guess playing the game. But to no surprise, a lot of Yankees and Mets fans were like, yeah, get the hell out of here, because look, if you live in Louisville or if you just live if you live around here, you know, and you're in the rivalry. I do believe that there are some that absolutely because I know these people, they're they're you know, if I didn't know them, I wouldn't believe it. But I've known them, and these are real people that you know, have proven me wrong. You can love and be a diehard fan of one and not hate the other. I don't know if you can be a diehard or even like a real big fan of both, I really don't know. I mean I'm sure there are exceptions and you can do whatever you want. I can't prove you wrong. But like to me, and this is, this is one of the things that makes us unwell as how serious we take it. If you tell me that you are a diehard Louisville fan but you also support UK, I'm gonna tell you this, You're not a diehard Louisville fan. I have no I have no uh you know, I have no authority. I can't rule who is you knew whatever you want, But like to me, I don't know how it would be possible to really love Louisville and honestly not hope for the worst for Kentucky. I know that sounds so childish and petty, but like, that's what this is, folks, we're nuts about this stuff.
Speaker 4: What about an instance where it's like, because I've always heard it to where like I grew up in Lexington all around it, but I went to school at Louisville, so like that's where I graduated.
Speaker 3: Cheer for me, I.
Speaker 2: Think those are those are exceptions where it does make sense to where you don't hate both, but you clearly have to have a preference because if you love them both the same. You don't meet the energy to like be one of us. Yeah that makes sense. I mean, I again, who am I to say that? But it's just the way I feel. All Right, Do we have time to take our last break real quickly or do we just want we can't? Okay, quick break, We'll come back and wrap it on the other side.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Well things just made a mistake because if you listen to on podcasts, you just heard me raw there doing a very very awful attempt at it's sounding like Luke Combs, but it was good. Luke. Luke Combs is one of I love him. It's one of a few. He's the only one I could think of. I know, there's not I know there's more than just Luke Combs that it's played, and I just I kind of stopped in my tracks, Like this guy's just awesome. He's he's very original, and you know, he kind of put a stop to you gotta be a pretty boy with you know, girly jeans. And you know, I'm mostly talking about like Luke Bryan, right like he like like there's nobody, and look, he's a you know, he's he's just a bigger guy. I'm not gonna say he's like a hideous thing to look at. But like when they when he started writing number one hit after number one hit, they had no choice but to make him, uh you know, one of the top top guys in country music. Right, yeah, I mean he's he's so talented and uh, you know, his story is really genuine too, and he tells at least when I went to sa him in concert, he did about how like he has three songs that he demoed for record companies that all eventually ended up becoming number one, but they all turned him away, and it was like, you you know, we just can't. He just can't do it with you, Like, you know, you could be a writer, but not like the artist. And it was awesome to see him actually, you know, become what he's turned into. But also you know, like I mean, his talent just kind of spoke for itself, right, And and people I think can really sense the genuineness of like that guy. I feel like everything he sings about and you know, everything we see of him, like that's not in any way an act for Hollywood like that's just him and that that is that goes a long way. So shout out to Luke Holmes. All right, you're heading over to the bats tonight, sure, and bringing the vibes, right.
Speaker 4: That's right, I'm bringing the vibes facing the Indianapolis Indians a tribe.
Speaker 2: Gonna be a long night for the tribe.
Speaker 3: I feel like, so fat night for them.
Speaker 2: You're looking to enhance the vibes, Austin's going to be on the ones and twos. Not only does he bring the music for us here with Coffee and Company, I mean he's he's providing the music in the vibes at slugger Field too, So shut up.
Speaker 4: Whenever they strike out, I'll give him the Nelson haha for here you go.
Speaker 3: Let's go throw throw them off their game.
Speaker 2: Good stuff. All right, we'll back to do We'll be back tomorrow. Good when everybody