Speaker 1: Bill Cunningham, the Great American. Of course, Tuesday afternoon, the Tri State weather continues to be iffy. Later on thinks you're a little bit better than the great by the weekend. But until then, the news of yesterday I Pete Rose is passing at the age of eighty three, continues to reverberate throughout the Tri State good memories and for some bad memories, the upside downs, and the definitive work on Pete Rose that I read, which is the best book ever written as Charlie Hustle, The Rise and Fall of Pete Rose in the Last Glory Days of Baseball, written by Keith O'Brien, who's from our community. And Keith O'Brien, welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. And first of all, Keith O'Brien. Before we got onto the last hours of Pete Rose's life, who was Pete Rose?
Speaker 2: You know, Pete Rose is like a roar shock test for baseball fans, for Americans. You can find whatever story you want in him.
Speaker 3: You know, he.
Speaker 2: Is of course a local hero and a baseball icon who did get the most out of his talents and did scrape and claw his way to the mountaintop. He is also a player who sabotaged himself again and again and again with his own choices, his own decisions, his own addictions. Frankly, Bill and and I think that this tangle of lessons, this complicated legacy, is how ultimately he will be remembered. I you know, I think Pete Rose is in the end a cautionary tale for us all and and and and it's really you know, how I began to think about him as I was writing the book. I I began to think of his story as a Greek tragedy that just happened to play out in and around an American baseball field. And and that, ultimately, and sadly, is is what he is. I think he's a tragic figure.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the beginnings of Pete Rose at bold Face Park and elsewhere, talk about his relate. Many times, a boy or a father's relationship is the key element of one's life. I know it's colored many elements of my life. And that is tell me about Pete's relationship with his dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so big. Pete, as he was known Harry Francis Rose, was the original star athlete in the Rose family. He was a prominent semi pro football player on the West Side of Cincinnati in the nineteen thirties, forties, even into the nineteen fifties, at a time when there was no professional football in Cincinnati, no Cincinnati Bengals whatsoever. This was as far as Big Pete could go, these workaday games on the weekends with other West Side guys, where by the way, the players often wagered on the outcome in the parking lot of the game. You know, But from the moment Little Pete is born in nineteen forty one, the father is absolutely fixated on the future athletic success of his firstborn son, and.
Speaker 4: He will push Pete.
Speaker 2: And you know, I did get a chance for my book to interview Pete Rose for twenty seven hours, both on the phone and in person, and of course we talked about his father. His father's been gone for fifty four years, but he still spoke about him with reverence and still credited him, Pete did for his success. And I think that's notable because Big Pete was a difficult man. He was not an easy man. He was certainly not easy on his son. But Little Pete did not reject the gospel of Big Pete Rose, he embraced it and he wanted to please him.
Speaker 1: Or the destructive tendencies of Pete Rose in his adult life, or the current rolls of that born in Pete's relationship with Harry.
Speaker 2: I think it was certainly born on the West Side. You know, Gambling was part of the culture in the Anderson Ferry neighborhood where Pete Rose grew up in the nineteen forties and fifties. Just down the hill from Pete Rose's home on Braddock.
Speaker 5: Street was.
Speaker 2: A little tavern where men would gather to wager on dice games and card games. The kids themselves, including young Pete Rose, often wagered outside the walls of that tavern, you know, pitching pennies against the wall. And you know, I do think it's notable Bill that, aside from pushing his son to be great at sports, there was one other thing that Big Pete loved, and that was going to River Downs. And you know, again, I did those many hours of interviews with Pete Rose, and one thing he told me that I think he's just so stunning. He said that his favorite memories of his childhood was not playing baseball bull Based Park, not playing football or baseball at Western Hills High School. His favorite memories, Pete said, was going to river Downs with his dad on the weekend and cheering on his daddy's horse to win. And I just think that's so so interesting.
Speaker 1: So somehow, and I can recall specifically and writing in Lachlan as a kid and a bar and I watched the old the fathers from World War two who had their cards and it was for amusement purposes only. He had a one teamer, at two teamer, a three teamer, bet five bucks, bet ten bucks. There was something about the addictive personality of Pete Rose that the kernels of his ultimate destruction came from river downs and from betting and bars, which he learned from his father.
Speaker 2: And you know, his gambling was well known in Cincinnati in the nineteen sixties and seventies. No one, least of all the media or the Cincinnati Reds should have been caught by surprise by the revelations in the nineteen eighties that you know in my reporting, you know, I scoured the newspapers for every mention of Pete Rose. And one story I think is so interesting. In the late nineteen sixties, Pete has won one batting title. He's about to win his seconds. There were complaints letters that people were sending in to the Cincinnati Reds because they were seeing Pete Rose so often at river Downs, even before games, that it concerned people. And Rose, you know, openly admitted that he liked to gamble, and he he and he frankly stuck his finger in the eye of those complained about it. He said in one newspaper article that I found you know, what do people want me to do? Stay home and the grass.
Speaker 1: Keith O'Brien, author of Charlie Hustle. It was at least I watched the gambling at his home on bloom He had three TV sets set up on a Sunday afternoon and he'd behead the gold Sheet Jim Feist reports, et cetera. I went with him to Latonia to bet on horse racing, and he kept from us many of the dark aspects of his life betting on baseball because when all this arose in the in the spring of nineteen eighty nine, he enlisted me and Bob Trumpy and many others to defend him vociferously, and he kept feeding us information as Hawaii elements the Doubt Report were inaccurate, And I went on the air and Bob Trump, he went on the air repeatedly defending Pete Rose against these allegations that he was betting on baseball as a player and a manager, which of course he did. And you talk about the sixties and seventies. I did not have a relationship with him then because I was too young, But nonetheless was his behavior if you're precipitating factor, So why the Reds did not re sign him in seventy eight and let him move on to the Phillies.
Speaker 2: Then the expos based on my reporting one hundred percent, Yes, you know, nineteen seventy eight, Pete's going to become a free agent effectively for the first time. You know, he's reaching the end of his career. Many people speculated in nineteen seventy eight that he only had a couple of years left. Of course, he's going to play for eight more years, but at the time they thought he just had a couple of years left. And and many people wondered why Rose didn't come back. And here's the reality of the situation. The president of the Cincinnati Reds by nineteen seventy eight was Dick Wagner, Dick Wagner and Pete Rose had never seen eye to eye. They were different men, cut from different cloths. Wagner was a bit of a Puritan and a bit of a militant, you know. P Rose was p Rose, and so they didn't along. But sometime that season Bill in the spring of nineteen seventy eight, based on my reporting, there is some sort of secret meeting in the office of Dick Wagner, And at that meeting is Dick Wagner, Pete Rose, and the head of security for Major League Baseball. And the discussion that day in the spring of nineteen seventy eight is about Pete's gambling, his bookies and his many debts to these bookies. Baseball and the Reds were worried then, and so without question, Wagner was concerned about bringing Rose back, as it would leak. Later in nineteen eighty nine, Wagner said apparently that he was worried that someone a bookie who had been stiffed by Pete Rose, might come searching for his money and take measures that would leave a stain on the Cincinnati Reds franchise.
Speaker 1: When he left for the Phillies in seventy nine, I would point out he won another World championship with them. Was the fact that Cincinnati Reds in fact rejected Pete Rose was out. A motivating factor in his later success with the Phillies none the exposed and then back with the Reds was the fact that he was shunned by the Reds at that point. A motivating factor in baseball for Pete like.
Speaker 2: All great athletes. And again, whether you like him or you don't like him, whether you cheered for him in the end or didn't, you know, Pete Rose was a great athlete. And like all great athletes, you know, the Michael Jordans, the Tiger Woods, the Tom Brady's of the world, he found motivation in the little things. And it did hurt him that the Reds didn't want him back. He would have happily signed, for the right amount of money a contract with the Cincinnati Reds. And so yeah, he goes to Philadelphia intent on proving that he's still Pete Rose bill a great player. And you know, you know, last couple of years in Philly, you know, eighty two eighty three, we start to see the downturn, But seventy nine eighty one, he is still putting up, you know, Hall of Fame caliber numbers.
Speaker 1: Nanny comes back on. You remember he was wearing the stupid Montreal Expos uniform and I think it was hit number four thousand at the Riverfront and he belly first goes into third base. That crowd goes absolutely nuts. And I went into the exposed locker room after the game and I talked to him briefly and he told me I want to come back home. I said, I know. And the next year, March Shot brought him back home. Explain how March Shot brought Pete Rose back to Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Well, so you know, it happens in August nineteen eighty four. Shot is not yet owner, but she is making noise and being quite loud among the ownership. She had been pushing for years to bring back the old guard Reds, the Morgans, the Perezes, the Pete Roses. And in July of that summer summer nineteen eighty four, Dick Wagner has now been fired. And who's back in charge of the Reds. The old general manager who did love Pete Rose, Bob Hausem. And you know, listen, I think Bob Hausm should be in the Hall of fame. He was the architect of the big Red machine. I think it is a travesty that he is not in Cooperstown. But Bob Housem made excuses for Pete Rose, as did a lot of people in the Cincinnati Reds organization in the nineteen seventies and eighties, and Hausum makes that trade that brings Rose back. Initially, in the early discussions, Housm did not want Rose to be a quote player manager. He just wanted him to be manager. But as he pointed out, Bill Pete had now crossed over the four thousand hit milestone. He's like one hundred and fifty hits away from breaking the all time record. There's no way he's stopping now. And so he basically bends Houseen's arm into being a player manager. And you know, this is a sliding doors moment for me, because when Pete comes back to Cincinnati, he really gets wrapped up in sort of Cincinnati's underworld at that time.
Speaker 4: And you know, I.
Speaker 2: Think, also his addictions are getting worse than all of this. His return to Cincinnati, his connections in the underworld, his own addictions set him up for the ultimate failure. In the late nineteen eighties.
Speaker 1: Kind of like a alcoholic taking a job as a bartender, he found himself back in the circumstance where he could not restrain his addictions. What addictions did Pete Rose have?
Speaker 2: Well, I think without question he was a to gambling. You know, he himself would have denied that. And in fact, only on two occasions did Pete ever admit he had some kind of addiction. But in both situations he was trying to save himself. The first time he'd admitted he had an addiction was in nineteen ninety when he was facing a sentence team for federal tax evasion, and the second time was in that self serving, shallow memoir that he wrote in two thousand and four, you know, trying to get himself reinstated back into baseball. Other than that, you know, he always said that he was not addicted to gambling. But you know, I did interviews with everybody in his inner circle in the nineteen seventies and eighties, three different men who placed Roses bets on baseball, and all of them agreed that Pete was horribly addicted to gambling at the time.
Speaker 4: And it makes sense, you.
Speaker 2: Know, because you know, people always say, well, why would he do that. Why would he break this rule that he would have known would get him banned for life. Well, I think the fact of the matter is is he knew it and he couldn't stop. He couldn't stop himself because he was addicted to gambling. And that's not to minimize his decisions, but I do think that is the case.
Speaker 1: The book is Charlie Hustle, The Rise and Fall of Pete Rose in the Last Glory Days of Baseball by Keith O'Brien, and there's no better treaties. If you want to know the truth about Pete Rose, the good, the bad, and the ugly, it's contained in that book. And Keith O'Brien. I could spend hours and hours with you. We've only scratched the surface. But if you're continue to be interested as a listener and a fan, you have to get the book. And it lays it all out. New York Times bestseller Keith O'Brien and Keith's so many more stories, so little time in life. And I know that Pete's closest friends now are remembering the good times and not the bad. I think the good times often live after or a man the bad times need to be buried. And your book says it all and does it all, and you do it with class. Keith O'Brien, once again, thank you for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show.
Speaker 4: Keith, thank you, thanks for having me. Bill.
Speaker 1: All right, let's continue fight My comments coming up next plus later on more about Pete Rose's rise and fall here in Cincinnati at your home of the Reds, the Home of Pete Rose, News Radio seven hundred WLW. Now Billy Cunningham, the great American Keith or Brian laid it up pretty well. You know he's from Cincinnati. The book Charlie Hussel describes the ups and downs, the ends and the outs of the life of Pete Rose. You could not have written a more tragic Greek drama than what happened to Pete Rose from beginning to the end. And I think you learned from Keith O'Brien the kernels of that gambling addiction began at a very early age. As you know, many of us have gambling problems. Many of us have drug problems, many of us have alcoholic problems. Many of us of sex addiction problems. Many of us have difficulties addictions of one type or another. But Keith or Brian lays out the fact that no one had more of an addiction to gambling than that Pete Rose had, and the more fame he received, the more he sought to gamble because he could. And in Pete Rose's life, there's never been anyone more identified with our town than Pete Rose, because he was born here, raised here, and said he didn't die here. But the big decision. I spoke to those close to Pete about where to where to bury Pete Rose because his mom and dad are buried here. Harry and his mom are here, But nonetheless it is completely unknown at this point. It would be keeping completely with the Pete Rose saga to have some confusion about where is the body, Where's it going to be buried, those kinds of things. But as I said during the Keith or Brian interview, I could spend an entire show on the piccadillos and the problems and the addictions and the lies and the distortions of Pete Rose, with the gam and with the bodybuilders, and with the gangsters and all the rest. But I often believe that when someone has passed on, it is kind of useless and worthless to spend time thinking about how a great man has fallen rather than spending time about the great deeds that he did. And Johnny Bench this morning talked about that, and then quite well, and that's the way it is. And Pete Rose unexpectedly died. According to even those closest to him, that when he was in Nashville on Sunday in a wheelchair. And Pete Rose, among many other things, was quite vain about how he looked and how he appeared. He never smoked, he never drank alcohol to my knowledge, but he did look after his weight by always eating salads. The letters he sent to me from federal prison in Illinois talked about coming back to Willis and Kenwood in order to have some of our salads and going back in time. I really hooked up with Pete Rose in a sense when he came back in August of nineteen eighty four through nineteen ninety and I spent time with him, lived at his place in Plant City when he was the manager of Cincinnati. We've played lots of golf together. I watched him bet on football from his home on Bloom Road in Indian Hill. He had three little TV sets set up. He had the gold Sheet and the Feis Reports, calling in, calling in bets to bookies, and spent time with him with the Mike Pattaglia at Latonia race Course now Turfway in the booth up with Mike making bets on horses. From my personal experience, I never heard or saw him bet on baseball, but I'm certain he did. I'm certain he did. I had on Paul Janssen a few years back, and many others that he had that addiction to. Of course, if someone is addicted to sports betting, of course you would bet on the sport you know the best. And of course he had a lie about it. When I talk about addictions, which we do quite often here, addictions normally form early in life, and colonels are playing it in one soul that later flourished. And Pete to spend that time with his dad Harry, going to bars where betting was ubiquitous, then going to the river downs the belt on horses. Something was launched inside Pete Rose to bet and to emulate his father. Many sons want to be like their dads, and many daughters want to be like their moms. And that's the way it was with Pete Rose. And when he came back in August of nineteen eighty four, and that was because of March shot. And at that point Bob Houshim had taken over the Reds and Dick Wagner had given up the Reins. The Pete and March Show was launched in Cincinnati from August of eighty four until August of nineteen eighty nine, and those five years it was spectacular, unbelievable. How about a call from the President of the United States, Ronald Reagan on the evening of September the eleventh, nineteen eighty five, congratulating Pete. And later on I know my producer Dave Keaton is looking for that tell phone call that Pete took. There was no one higher in sports, And I think later on I may ask Tom Brennaman this question about for those who were born sometime in the nineteen nineties. The average American right now is about thirty years old. The average American was born like in nineteen ninety four. First memories might be the early two thousands. They have little or no memory of Pete Rose. If you could imagine in football, Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes together, they would not have equalled what Pete Rose was to the city of Cincinnati and to the United States of America. When the Reds toured Japan before the heyday of so many great Japanese ballplayers, everybody wanted to touch and be touched by Pete Rose. He was bigger than Big, bigger than that. And football at that point, of course, was present here in Cincinnati, but NFL did not have the prevalence and the presidents it has today. The book by Keith O'Brien Charlie Hustle, The Rise and Fall of Pete Rose during its Golden Age. That was literally the Golden age. Each and the brightest jewel, the brightest, the most valuable gold was the Cincinnati Reds and Pete Rose. I know you may think right now the Yankees might be real big or the Dodgers, but think of this. Between nineteen seventy five and nineteen ninety, which is a fifteen year period, the Reds won twenty percent of all the World Series. They won them all. Although Pete Rose was not with the Reds of nineteen ninety, his club under Lou Penela, won the World title in nineteen ninety. Cincinnati was the baseball and the sports capital of the world, it was here, Cincinnati, and it was Pete Rose. In fact, since nineteen ninety five, almost thirty years, the Reds have not won a playoff series. In the last ten years the Reds were a full season, have had one winning record in ten seasons, not counting the COVID years COVID year which is kind of disjointed. So the Reds have fallen, shall we say, almost to the bottom of the pack when it comes to baseball excellence. But for a long period of time from the nineteen nineteen sixties sixty one the World Series here at Crossley Field with Mickey Mantle and Roger Merrison and Whitey Ford and all the rest. And for the Reds at George Crow and Roy McMillan, and you had, of course Frank Robinson and Veda Pinson, Gordy Coleman, John Clippenstein, Jim O'Toole. Cincinnati was the center of sports in the United States of America, and when the Reds in nineteen seventy six swept the Yankees swept the Yankees team, Cincinnati was recognized as America's sports town. The UC Bearcats had gone to five consecutive Final fours, culminating with national titles. In sixty one, sixty two, and sixty one, the Reds go to the World Series against the Yankees, and seventy to go to the World Series. In seventy two, they go to the World Series, they fight for the playoffs in seventy four. They go back in seventy five seventy six and win the World Series. Then Pete Rose comes back. Baseball is bigger than Montana in Cincinnati. They went through lean years in the early nineteen eighties, the Verne rap years, and Pete Rose came back. The margin Pete Show began and everything was right with the world. And then these inklings started in the background about a meeting with Peter Eyearbroth seemed to be Bart giamaudy about difficulties, and you heard Keith O'Brian talk about the fact that in nineteen seventy eight, Red's leadership did not want to keep Pete Rose because they feared a number one. He was thirty seven years old, but number two. They knew all the rumblings about Pete Rose's nasty associations with individuals that he lied repeatedly about, purposely lied. So when we hooked up in nineteen eighty five, became friends. I opened up Willy's Sports Cafe in Kenwood in nineteen eighty nine and Pete Rose was a regular visitor. He gave me the forty two to fifty six ball that set the all time record in the bat that we displayed at Willie's. I would go with him on Sunday's to his home on Bloom Road, and I was somewhat starstruck at the time. By that point I had met Ronald Reagan and I met Bush forty one. I met these big shots, so to speak. But there was no one in this Deer Park kid's heart more sacred to me than Pete Rose because he was to me a living god. No one could spend time with Pete Rose and not feel as if it was a great day. The greatest radio in the history of this company, and that says a lot going back one hundred and two years, was interviews between Bob Trumpy and Pete Rose Rose on baseball, then later on all the interviews that Marty Brenneman had with Pete after games from before and also Tom Brenneman hosting the Johnny Bench Pete Rose shows that were just unbelievable and there was no bigger character in the history of Cincinnati. With all due respect to the presidents that have come here from here, and the great leaders of our society like the Carl Linders and the John Barretts and the Fifth Third Bang and the Joseph Automotive Group, and Procter and Gamble, but the one person identified with Cincinnati was Pete Rose. So when this kid from Deer Park had time to spend with Pete Rose to he asked me to throw batting practice to the pitchers in nineteen eighty eight, nineteen eighty nine, which I did, to walk in that locker room at Riverfront Stadium and to put on a retch uniform and to walk out to the mound and throw batting practice. I said, Pete, I can't thank you enough. He said, man, it's no big deal. And from that point on we became closer and closer friends, and I was with them, talking to him regularly in nineteen eight, eight eighty eight, especially nineteen eighty nine, when he had all of his difficulties. He lied repeatedly about his bettings and his associations. And the money is owed to bookmakers. Some nasty characters in New York connections to the mob, et cetera. So when all this began to erupt, he would feed to me and and do Bob Trump the information about why it was innocent and trumpy, and I went with it one percent because we wanted to believe the lie. In the back of our minds, we wanted to think somehow they weren't true, because we knew the results of that would be ugly. And even during the negotiations in July and August, when Pete Rose appeared in Hamlety County Common Police Court in front of Judge Norbert natal to get an injunction that would stop Major League Baseball from further investigating Pete Rose and from suspending him. Pete and I spoke almost daily at that point because Judge Norbert Nato and I were friends, and Nato had a chair up on his bench about six feet to us right with me sitting in it, and so I knew what Nato was going to do, which was grant the injunction against Major League Baseball that further took a broomstick to the beehive of Abbargiamadi and Major League Baseball and said we can't have that. They had the case removed a federal court under certain federal provisions, and the case proceeded in court. That is alved. The injunction and the rest I always say is history. One cannot imagine a high or high in human life than Pete Rose's life in Cincinnati. There was nothing similar to that that's ever happened before or since. He was us and we were He was Fountain Square. That was Pete Rose, and the idea that in November of nineteen ninety, which was a little over a year and four months since he was suspended for life, and Pete Rose thought he was getting back within one year. Then Pete Rose continued to lie at that news conference saying he never been on baseball, which of course was a lie. But nonetheless I received a letter from his from Marian Federal Institution in Illinois, from Pete Rose. He sent me two letters November of nineteen ninety and I'm not going to share on the air what the letters say, but they were profound. He asked Pete asked me to do some favors for him of a deminimous character here in town, and I, of course I said I would. Then he would when he had phone privileges he called me now and then we spoke. He was beyond embarrassed, but this was a tough guy. He would sign autographs, he'd be on the phone from federal prison to relatives of inmates who were really bums who deserve to be there. Pete Rose did not deserve to be there. To do little favors for other inmates, to make sure that his life went as smooth as possible. The saddest moment. This is a kid from Deer Park who watched Pete Rose nine to eleven eighty five, who spent time with March Shott, who loved Pete Rose as much as I could, and who talk with him regularly because of my legal background and my friendliness. Our houses were about a mile apart. And to get that letter from Federal Correction Institute, Marion, Illinois, and then to get another letter about three months later, and Judge Spiegel, may God rest his soul, never should have put Pete Rose in prison for like five months. But he demanded the Pete Rose go to a quote halfway house in Cincinnati for a few more months. And Pete wanted to go back to Florida. He had a home and planted city which most people. Most inmates are released to where the family is, but not Pete Rose, who he committed crimes, numerous sins and crimes. But to incarcerate Pete Rose didn't make any of us safer. But Jude Spieger wanted to grind it in a little bit further to put him in a halfway house, through a Talbot house somewhere on Vine Street, like twenty second in Vine. So I'd go down there every now and then to see Pete and he was able to get out during the day to so called work, he had some community service to do, and to sit there with him at six or seven o'clock at night. He had an individual bunk bed along with drug addicts and murderers and gamblers in some halfway house. And Pete Rose was lower than low. He went from telephone calls from Ronald Reagan, wine dined and pocket lined, from MVP to the most honored baseball not no, the most honored athlete in America in the nineteen seventies eighties, to a half way house run by Talbert on twenty second and Vine, Are you kidding me? And that was Pete Rose. And after that our two paths more or less separated because he found himself going back to Florida, then back to Las Vegas, and every now and then we would reconnect. He was always there for a basketball game. He was always there for the Corps All Stars. I got a great picture I may put online of Mike McConnell, May and Pete getting ready for a baseball game. And there was no more friendly, happy, go lucky person to be around, positive person than Pete Rose. But that core of him was self destructive, almost suicidal. He could not accept the love and the admiration of you and I because he had this need to have the feelings of self pity. By that, I mean this many people that have an addiction, especially a gambling addiction, they want to keep gambling until they lose a lot because their image of themselves is so bad that Pete Rose had to confirm that image by engaging in gambling activities that would make him feel horribly destructive, because that confirmed the viewpoint that Pete had of himself. Now he's moved on, and I could spend hours talking about the peccadillos that sins in the crimes of Pete Rose. But wise Man once said that when someone has died us. Let the bad being turned with his bones, and let the good live on in our memories. And my god, what memories we'll all have of Pete Rose. They're truly unbelievable. All right, let's continue. We have Tom Brenneman coming up in about ten minutes to talk about the life and times of Tom Brenneman met him and I think when he was about ten years old and on and off with Pete. I talked to Marty this morning and he's gonna he's a said, I can't do interviews, So when Marty's ready to talk, we'll do that. Let's continue with more Bill Cunningham, the Home of Pete Rose. News Radio seven hundred WLW tie, let's continue remembering the life and times of Pete Rose. Joining you and I now is Tom Brenneman and Tom Brenneman. Welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. And can you go back in time to the first time you have a memory of meeting Pete Rose.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean like it happened yesterday. Thanks for having me on, Willy. I was ten years old and we were living in Virginia Beach, Virginia, where my dad was announcing the ABA and Minor League baseball, and he got the Reds job in seventy four and our family had.
Speaker 4: Not yet moved.
Speaker 6: My dad had gone to spring training in Tampa where the Reds were training at that time, back at all Al Lopez Field, and so my mom and sister and I went down there and walked in the clubhouse and Pete was one of the first four guys. I'm at Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, and Tony Perez, and.
Speaker 4: You know they would have it.
Speaker 6: You know, I was running around the ballpark all those years. It was incredible because even to this day, I think back and I'm like, did that really happen? You know it was we were allowed we being the kids, so whether it was Pete Junior, Ken, Griffy Junior, whoever, right, we were allowed to go in the clubhouse. But Dick Wagner would not allow kids in the press box. So I'd go down with my dad early. I knew all the players on a first name basis, every single one of them. I got to go in Sparky Anderson's office every day when my dad taped the manager show, and when the game started, I'm sitting in the stands by myself or either with Jeff Ruby.
Speaker 1: Did you have any sense at that point you're a ten year old kid, and you know, a fifty year old man's a whole bunch different than a ten year old kid. You did you understand later in life as you matured and grew that the rise in the fall September eleven, nineteen eighty five, almost gosh, forty years ago. And then I reflected on visiting Pete Rose in a Talvert halfway house in February of nineteen ninety one that he came out of federal prison. And I'm thinking, as a kid that grew up here in Cincinnati, as you did, that talk about the highest of highs than the lowest the lowest. Is there any indication during those early years in your memories that there was a fatal flaw or an addiction to Pete Rose that would absolutely collapse him. Did you have any indication?
Speaker 6: No, because I wouldn't know enough to understand it. I mean, you know, had I been maybe seventeen or eighteen or something like that, you know, perhaps then, but Pete had already left as a free agent by the right, and so you know, but you know, strangely enough, the way things work out, thank God, is you know, I meet him at ten years old, and then at twenty four, I'm the announcer for the Reds. Pete is the manager of the Reds, and I'm doing the games on television with Johnny Bench, and I had to do this weekly show that we had on Channel five at the time called the Pete and Johnny Show, and I was the host of the show and you know, as yes, the play by play guy for fifty five games a year, but I also was an anchor and reporter at Channel five. So during that whole thing of nineteen eighty nine and spring training and then carrying into the regular season, all the way to actually being physically being at that press conference at Riverfront Stadium when Jamadi announced that Pete would be fired, and if Pete had his you know, subsequent press conference, I was at all those and it's I mean, you just encapsulated the best. I mean, you go from being on the phone with Ronald Reagan after you break the all time hits record, and four years later you can't get near a baseball stage, and then you're in jail.
Speaker 1: It's impossible that fall that high and that low. And if somebody would say to you, you got to call from New York and Los Angeles Chicago. You did a lot of Cubs games for years, signed Harry Carey. Somebody would say to Tom Brenneman, who was Pete Rose? Now that he's dead, what answer would you give? Who was Pete Rose?
Speaker 6: I'll tell you he was one of the most engaging people I've ever been around. And look, I have more than my share of faults, darned near every single one of them, and in some cases it paid the price, like Pete did, professionally, paid the price personally in a lot of ways. And so it's not my job to judge other people and some of the things they do.
Speaker 4: We know that there is justice in this world. There's right and there's wrong. We know that.
Speaker 6: But if you ask me to describe my experience with Pete Roath, I have nothing but incredible things to say about the guy.
Speaker 4: When when I lost my job.
Speaker 6: Back in twenty twenty, and I was trying to, you know, launch this podcast, and you'd get anybody on who would come on, and a lot of people couldn't or.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't or whatever the case may be. And that's fine.
Speaker 6: No big deal, no hard feelings, but the two people that always were always there for me, and I've never forgotten it, and I never will as long as I live where Bob Huggins and Pete Road and you know, Pete was one of those guys, and you know Will You've been around him a ton of times. You know, he's one of those guys where you know, if you were going to be somewhere with him, and you're sitting somewhere with him and he's holding court and everybody's laughing, and he's treating everybody like a million bucks funny beyond belief. Vulgar and crew would beyond believe. It didn't matter if he was talking to a president or Billy Graham or you know, Rick Stowe or Bernie Stowe. He was the same guy. And if the night was supposed to end at midnight, you didn't want it to end at midnight. No, you just wanted to sit there and just shut up and listen. And every now and again, if there was a lull, you just poked the bear a little bit and here we go again.
Speaker 1: How would you describe the best interview the interviews Trumpy and Rose had the interviews that you had Pete and John in the interviews, your dad had Marty and Joe and Pete. I mean, it's never it's gone. It's called the glory days of baseball, which I think can't exist anymore because of all kinds of reasons that they're gone with the wind. And the average American is about thirty years old. So the average person alive today has a memory nothing about Pete Rose the person, but rather his addictions and his gambling and all that stuff. When I did some interviews last night, it was all about Pete Rose's gambling, and they moved on, we got the Israeli, we got this, we got that, But Pete Rose it's increased. No one could have made up what happened with Pete Rose beginning of nineteen sixty three when they had the triple off Bob Friend at Crosley Field. Nobody could have recalled September of the eleventh, nineteen eighty five when he broke that record, and nobody could have thought about what happened in the spring and summer of nineteen eighty nine. For those five or six years, you could not have made it up. So for many a younger folks, they it's like you and I talking about Babe Ruth or Joe Demaggio. Your last memories? Do you recall your last contact with Pete Rose and what it was?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was, it was here in town.
Speaker 4: It was in an event I think I think it was.
Speaker 6: It was one of the local high schools and he was air at a stag and I had a chance to spend a lot of time around in that day. I mean, I was I don't want to sit here and try to act like.
Speaker 4: I was as close to him as my dad was.
Speaker 6: My dad is just, you know, he's really really having a hard time.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 6: You know, his two best friends in baseball were Joe and Pete Rose, and as we know, you know, both of them have have have moved on, you know, in the last two years, and he is just, I guess just it was just last week where he was with some of the guys from the Big Red Machine, Concepcion and Tony Perez and George Foster and a couple of others that and you know, no one thought that, at least from.
Speaker 4: What my dad's shared with me, that he had been told.
Speaker 6: That anybody thought that, you know, there was something going on that would have.
Speaker 4: Led to what happened yesterday.
Speaker 6: You know, we all get to be in our eighties, you know, and I see it with my dad and and you know, Willie and friends of yours.
Speaker 4: You know, you get to you get to that age and I mean, you.
Speaker 6: Know, Lord knows anything that happen any day. But it's just you know, when you talk about the about the younger generation, and I've said this forever, you know, you could make a very strong case that in the nineteen seventies, in the nineteen eighties, before the gambling stuff, that the only two athletes that were more well known in the world than Pete Rose were Pele and Muhammad Ali.
Speaker 1: No, no question, no, no.
Speaker 4: They were obviously.
Speaker 6: These big international stars, but Pete Rose was a bit. When Pete Rose went on the baseball trip to Japan. And now this is long before we have many Japanese players. It's nothing like it is today. And you know, you don't want to sound like the old man, you know, turning back the clock, but I mean to try to put it into context.
Speaker 4: That's what it was.
Speaker 6: There is not a football player today, and football owns the world as we know it, right or at least the United States right there, is not a football player, not Patrick Mahomes, not Joe Burrow, not Aaron Rodgers, pick anybody you want. There has not been a football player in the last thirty years that came anywhere close to the popularity that Pete Rose had in his heyday in the seventies and eighties. He was the face of the most popular sport in America by far. And the things he accomplished in the things that he did, and you know, the style in which he played. I mean, he was one of those guys you know. I mean people like around here, they don't hate Patrick Mahomes. No, you know, if if if you, if you were a Dodger fan, or a cub fan, or a Phillies fan or whoever, you know, you hated Pete Rose. But man, you wanted him on your team all.
Speaker 1: Day, every day in a foxhole you want you want to be with Pete I had On earlier, Keith O'Brien wrote, I think the defensive book on Pete Rose called Charlie Hustle, The Rise and Fall of Pete Rose and the Glory Days of Baseball. What was it about the sixties, the seventies, the eighties, Something baseball changed Football changed. There was no soccer, despite the glories of Pele in New York, et cetera. Saca was in the sport, and the Bengals in the NFL in the seventies, eighties or not. Was not the dominant sport. It was baseball. And there was no one in baseball who was more a symbol of that game than Pete Rose and the Cincinnatians. We took that wonderfully. Is this is our this is our guy. We're going to protect him for the diehard. When I look at the statue of Pete Rose sliding in the third some have said that's where his coffin should be. It should be underneath the statue at Great American Ballpark. And I talked to your dad this morning. We have no one has any idea where that where the body's going to be interred. Is his family his mom and dad are here. Uh No, one is going to be complete confusion. If it's anything like Pete Rose's life, there'll be complete confusion. Where to have the funeral, where to do it or not? Nobody knows. But doesn't he belong to be buried somewhere in Cincinnati?
Speaker 4: Oh well, there's no doubt about that.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, I you know, I was talking about his popularity during this seventh these in eighties, and and you know again, I think you could and there's probably somebody out there.
Speaker 4: That would contradict me on this, and they'd probably be right.
Speaker 6: But I don't know if there's ever been a public figure, politics, whatever it might be, certainly athlete in this country that is more completely entwined with their home city than Pete Rose was. I mean, he was Cincinnati and everybody on the planet knew it, everybody, and you know, he epitomized so many things that make our city so great, you know, humble beginning, parents hard charging stayed together, raised him on the west side of town, followed his dad everywhere like a puppy, you know, around some gruff and tough other guys that were friends with his dad, that played sports with his dad, maximized his guy given talent to the utmost and laid everything out on the line every single time he walked on the field. You know, the year is what one went by for me, William baseball where you know, thirty one years announcin it and my dad was obviously a lot longer than that. But you know, in this day and age, would I have a greater appreciation for him more than anything or two things. Number One, even though he was an extremely selfish player in that he wanted to get two hundred hits a year, hit three hundred every year, all those kinds of things, he was at the same time perhaps the most unselfish star of his time and arguably of all time. He comes up as his second basement. They asked him to go to the outfield. They acquired George Foster in the trade for the Giants. They asked him to go to third when he's already in his thirties. You know this guy would do it, goes to first base later. He did everything that you asked him to do.
Speaker 4: And the other thing is.
Speaker 6: The availability to play every day. I mean, everybody knows.
Speaker 4: About cal Ripken Street.
Speaker 6: He could have easily been Pete Rose, but Sparky made him days off from time to time. He Rose never wanted a day off.
Speaker 7: He was never hurt.
Speaker 5: Ever.
Speaker 6: I mean, we hear about guys, you know, tweaking their hamstring. Now, I might not beating up on the current player because he's a tough guy, but I mean for him to do over twenty five plus years and the style and reckless abandon with which he played. To think that he's so infrequently ever had a day off for that long, almost three decades, is just incredible.
Speaker 1: I know your dad is your dad is profoundly affected by this, and he'll give an interview later on. But he said, when you lose Joe and then you leave Pete and you reflect upon your own mortality. And I said to your dad this morning, I said, how is it that you're in your eighties. You look better now than you look when you're in your thirties forties. He said, it was jeans, and it's the fact that I walk every day. But he said, he said, my heart's broken.
Speaker 4: And I said, a lot of people that feel that way.
Speaker 6: You know, there are a lot of people that are going to point out, like you said, you know, in different callers and so forth, they're they're going to choose to remember the negative stuff and the bad stuff.
Speaker 4: It was all there.
Speaker 8: But you know, for those of us that had a chance to see the other side and grateful and blessed for it to see the other side. But I am really amazed by how many people want to bring up some of the stuff that you know, some of it was proven, others it was not.
Speaker 4: I just I don't understand it. But you know, maybe I'm just getting old.
Speaker 1: Well, the thing is, I think Roman said that, Uh, but the good lives long after. Let the bad be interred with the bones. And I think today is not a day to rehash all the difficulties Pete Rose had with the attics and the gamblers, and the and the gangsters and the steroids, et cetera. It's the time to celebrate all the positive aspects of Pete Rose.
Speaker 6: I God for you, Willie for for for making that what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Tom Brenneman, thank you very much, and we'll do it again. Thank you, buddy, Thank.
Speaker 4: You God bless you well.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Well, let's continue with more. Bill Cunningham, the Home of Pete Rose, News Radio seven hundred w l w K Pete Rose.
Speaker 9: What a man really want from enough to shape, not fancy perfume, not fancy bottle Nott Matcy prices. A man wants to smell like a man.
Speaker 1: Well, he wants to be cool.
Speaker 4: Every friend that's not about.
Speaker 9: A man wants to feel like a man, feel like a man.
Speaker 1: Hello, Buiet, and I'm I'm broadcasting God segment. Are you an achela velvet man? You want to smell like a man?
Speaker 6: Or not?
Speaker 1: Always? Your memories of Pete Rose? Can you remember Joe Amagio and Pete Rose? Oh and you and me? Correct Willy tell the story. Well, we're down.
Speaker 9: We're down in the Rose's office like after a ball game, right, I don't know who they were playing. It was one a night game and we're sitting there and we're just shooting at you know what, and this and that back and forth, and we said, hey, we got to get you know, we got to get out of here, Get out of here. So it's like ten thirty at night or something, and it's like, okay. He says, wait a minute, reaches up on the very top of his locker in the in the manager's office, throws me a baseball and you a baseball.
Speaker 1: So I was like and it's like, oh okay.
Speaker 9: So I looked at it and Pete Rose, excellent, got a ball, being Pete Row, you got one?
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 9: I go walking through the foury A of the clubhouse. I turned the ball over and it's signed by Joe Demaggio and I'm going, what Willie did? You look at the ball. I said, what is that? He says, no, you turned you look at it. He goes, what the well.
Speaker 1: He'd been he'd been at a signing show one of the and Joe Demajo and he asked Joe about the personal behavior of Marilyn mo the Roe. But that's a different issue, correct, And my ball? Do you used to have the ball? Yes? I took it home. About two years later, my son, my young son, Evan, plays hardball with it out and they out in the yard. It gets into the street and they lose it. And then Pete hears about it. He says, I'll send you to the ball and I said, hey, great, So he sends me a Joe Demajo signed ball. This wasn't signed by Pete, just Joe. And I said, okay. I put in one of those uh yeah, the plastic halls over. I put in the basement. And over the years, every now and then I'm looking on what happened to that ball? It's gone. We had numerous boys and girls, Evans, friends and family. It's staying all is staying there in the basement all the time. Yeah, and it simply walked out the front door. So I don't have it anymore? Wow, Norm wal I get one, but I Wow, that's it. That's like, I don't know what to say people.
Speaker 9: That's like the story of Tom the last out of the Ball of Perfect Game by the late Tom Brownie.
Speaker 1: September sixteenth, nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 9: He put it up on the mantel and all of a sudden he looked one day is not there And he looked at his kid. He says, yeah, we needed a baseball, so we played with that. When I think it's out in the woods somewhere.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine Joe Knuxall, Joe Morgan, Pete Rose. Well, I tell you what.
Speaker 9: You put those guys in a round table going with the way, that would be the greatest show on earth.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you're right.
Speaker 9: I mean, you know, no cause of death yet for Pete, but he was just there tonight, Willy on Sports Talk, you're here from Tommy Helms.
Speaker 1: Good right there. Pete's all the way, mate. He lives in about two miles from here, right Tommy Helms. The great number nineteen. You'll hear from Doug Flynn. He's the key clog of the nineteen seventy six glue. Yeah.
Speaker 9: And then you'll hear from Chris Sabo. Chris Sabo was with Pete in Nashville over the weekend with the signing with Senior Dave Concepci, owned, Tony Perez and George Foster.
Speaker 1: And then, uh, you know, he must have left Nashville late at night, arrived in Las Vegas and died I assume in bed a few hours later. One would think of a heart because Johnny Bench said earlier that he wasn't himself right. You know, Pete wouldn't get his knees done because he didn't want to be walking through an airport using canes and every people. That's what happened with Joe Morgan watching him, he said, got an infection into a couple of his knees and that was it. And then he ends up in a in a wheelchair in Nashville, dies by himself in a darkened room. And Las Vegas. Where will he be buried? I'd say underneath underneath the statue. Put the casket right there underneath the statue in front of the Great American Ballpark. Do they lie in state at Great American Ballpark? Well?
Speaker 9: Someone could does that line will be from here all the way around the world twice.
Speaker 1: Well, someone's got to get control. I don't know who the executor is, but it's in Clark County, which I don't know. I mean, we don't have any arrangements yet. I don't know sure we'll find out Mom and dad are buried here. I think this is where Pete needs to be. I think so maybe Donald'll take someone will take control.
Speaker 9: Will heave the stood reporters approach service of your local Tamestar Heating and air conditioning dealers. Tamestar quality you could feel in Cincinnati Hallwayoming Air at one eight eight eight nine nine six h v A C spot. We also want to thank Lear's Prime Market Willie for the finest meats. Trust Lear's Prime Market, You're one stif shot for craft beer's best wine selection. Full catering service located in beautiful downtown Milford, Learsprime dot Com. Lear's Prime always a cut above. I say, we have a quote.
Speaker 1: Here from a fan of yours about segment Dennison and Pete Rose that you're the last man he gave a shower to do you recall showering with Pete Rose?
Speaker 9: No, that was that Mike McConnell played that this morning's right, that was edited?
Speaker 1: Is the last man I gave a shower too? He was talking. Is that true? No? Because I just how you're calling Pete Rose a liar. Well, he let me explain it, answer that question.
Speaker 9: He talked, He talked about it, and he said that that was when he was in Vietnam with Joe DiMaggio and somebody put my name in there.
Speaker 1: You're making that up to hide your own intimacy. A pet Rose, it's a I. I. Did you have a shower with Pete Rohase? No? Did he give you nooks and crannies? No? Did you take care of him and shower? No? Yay or nay? Nay? Go ahead, of course.
Speaker 9: The Hall of Famer passing away yesterday. Willie had eighty three seventeen time All Star, all time Major League leader and hits, games played, at bats and singles, three World Series, three batting titles, an MVP award to only two Gold Gloves. Got to be kidding, and named of the Major League Baseball All Century Team. Now, with your expertise, does he get in? No, they don't think so. You don't think Cooperstown had a little bit of a like They'll go no, yeah, no, we'll put him in now that he's gone.
Speaker 1: The reason him alive, The reason is it's the Veterans Committee that's got to do all that's true, you're right, And when the Veterans Committee have been asked repeatedly about Pete Rose, there's unanimity. Correctly not go in. Right, he's got to get seventy five percent of the vote and not one of them say yes. And when Joe Morgan was in charge of the Veterans Committee, right, he worked tirelessly do you have Pete Rose become eligible then to have the veterans vote and no point could he convince bud Sea League and needed to be done. And Bud told Joe Morgan that if this happens, do you think Pete Rose is going to embarrass us again? And the answer would be yes.
Speaker 9: Nick Martinez or the Reds Willie as the National League pitcher of the Month for September. He went four and one over the month, thirty strikeouts, opponents bat in one sixty one against him eighty three e.
Speaker 1: R for the month.
Speaker 9: And he can opt out to become a free agent. Who Nick Martinez, I love it, jest they keep him? Do you keep the team together that looks good on paper. Or do you tear the team apart because they finished once again? I don't think you tear the team apart. I think you gotta take you got to You gotta get hitters. You got pitching out the wazoo. Now which for the green Abbott Uh Costello? Who Evan cous tellam yeah him too. You got pitching, Graham Ashcraft, You got pitching right. You got Conye hillers coming at yeah, neat hitters instead of like these guys that just hit on the interstate all year long. See you what would want to be a Bengals update brought to you by Good Spirits, Winding Tobacco party Town. What about Rocky Boyman? Your tailgate headquarters? The Bengals today waving punter Brad Robbins. He just came off the ir yesterday. They already got a punter in Theirs. Could punt the ball from here to Kenwood, kick it like crazy right. Baseball playoffs begin today Detroit and Houston, Kansas City, Baltimore Mets at Milwaukee, Braves at San Diego.
Speaker 1: I'll show you segment these two letters Pete Rose sent to me from federal prisident. I look at the dates on the letters. Please don't open them, but look at the dates on the letters, and you'll see it dated November sixteenth, nineteen ninety correct. Now imagine a year and a half before that. Let's say it's June or July of nineteen eighty nine. Right, Pete Rose is a manager of your Cincinnati Reds. Correct the Marty and Pete. How about Bob Trumpy's interview on the Rose Report? How about Bob Trumpy and Pete Rose? Yep? How high was he at that point? I could run for mayor a year and nobody would vote against me unanimous. A year and a half later, he sends letters to me from federal prison.
Speaker 9: Number zero one eight three two zero six one looks like yeah.
Speaker 1: And the next twe December third, tells me in that letter part of it, can you give me? Can you help me to get out by Christmas? I want to come home for Christmas? Didn't happen? He calls me in November of ninety one and says, Willie, I'm out. I said, did you break out or what do you mean you're out? He said, great escape, I'm at the Talbot House. I said, what what are you doing there? I got to do several months one thousand hours at community service, and I'm about the Talbot House. Can he come see me? I said sure? So I got on the Talbot House, a crappy little facility at twenty second in vine in otr.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Boy, he's in this little room with a bunk bed with three others. One guy killed his mother and father. Another guy was a known, well known drug dealer, and the third guy was a cat burglar. And I said, what in the hell are you doing here? Said man, I don't get it. Well, I want to let me go to Plant City and be with Carol and be with the kids. I said, I don't know. So I contacted his lawyers. At that point, he had no money, he had no imagine the Pete Rose who takes a call from Ronald Reagan.
Speaker 9: Correct, yeah, I heard that last I was watching it last night when it would end happen.
Speaker 1: And then here we are. He's in not just federal prison. He has to do favors for the guards and the inmates. I say, Pete, I hope the favors don't avoid and involve some personal act. He said, no, no, no, I got to sign baseballs. I said, sign every ball you can find for Tad's sakes. And there he is now in a halfway house with no money, no friends. At twenty second and Vine and Joe wouldn't say him, No, Spiegel wanted a piece of his you know what because of what he represented? Did Pete Rose belong in federal prison for income? I don't think so. No, he did avoid taxes. I pay your pricements out And does that also then involved one thousand hours in community of service reporting every night back to Talbert House for Pete Road? Does that make? Is that fair? No? So this is a guy who went from here to there there and never got out of the cycle. Well a segment. I'm gonna spend from two to three talking to the American people, all right, until you committed two thirty five? And by the way, where is Rocky Boyman when we need him?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Is he still stuck in North Carolina? Supposedly he's in Harrison, et cetera, and he can't get out because the trees are all gone. But hopefully the trees can get better at some point, you know what I'm saying. So Harrison was hard hit, Yes, including the Ponderosa where Rocky calls home. Wow, think about that. Oh, maybe he's got the pebbles out there cleaning house kick an ass like, mister ass. Yeah, it's fair to say, segment. We will never see his like again.
Speaker 9: There will never ever be a player to him, Willie. And I guarantee you one thing. You know, I don't think anybody's going to get four and.
Speaker 1: Fifty six hits if they do well. This year. No one got bless him. Not one of them got to him. And you've got to get two hundred hits for twenty consecutive seasons, correct, and then you're way short. Yeah, not gonna happen. No Segment and honor of Pete Rose this was his station and his good friend wild Man Walker. Get us out of the suite.
Speaker 9: Report with your permission, will he and honor of the hit King rest in peace. We leave you with the immortal words of the stew.
Speaker 10: Report the levels about a couple of times shout kicks and he fires rose Wing Hith number forty one ninety two, Hey, line drive saying, go into the love center.
Speaker 1: May a clean basin. It is Pandemoniu.
Speaker 11: I'm here.
Speaker 1: He's rubbing from the Stadium just one of the highlights of Peter Edward Rose. I talked to Marty this morning. He's gonna come on later. He said his heart is broken. Amen. Between Joe Morgan and Pete Rose, those are his guys segment. Are you willing now to hear between two and two thirty from the American people? Yes, let's continue with more. Open up the lines of your memories in your time with Pete Rose and things that happened. The number to call is seven four nine, seven thousand, or pound seven hundred, Bill Cunningham, the Great American Live at the home of Pete Rose. News Radio seven hundred w Elder right, Billy cunning Him the Great American. Let's continue to hear from you on the life and times of Peter Edward Rose passed away at the age of a three sometime yesterday morning early, having flown in from Nashville, and the cause of death to be determined. There's no foul play, suggested, we'll see what happens. My idea is to have a funeral at Great American Ballpark with the casket below the representation of Pete Rose, the statue out in front. That would be beautiful and I hope someone in the family, maybe Fawn or Pete Junior, can take control of the situation and see what the estate is and the will and the way we go. If there's some confusion in this regard, I would not be surprised. All right, We're going to take some calls now of your memories of Pete Rose, what he meant to you at of course at five, one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand, first of all, Karen and Batavia, and then Danny, and then Dave and then Ed and thousands of others, And Karen and Batavia, welcome to the Bill Cunningham Show. And Karen, what are your memories and thoughts about Pete Rose? Hello, Karen, Hi, can hear me? Yes? I can? Please go ahead? O.
Speaker 12: Hi.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm as a kid and we down to Florida for spring break, and of course I bought a ball and the entire big red machine signs it, and I'm in line, by the way, every single one of them. I have a picture. I'm signing my ball, and so anyway, we're in line for Pete and there's Pete Rose Junior sitting there. And that was cool, of course, because I'm a kid and I think, well, that truly could cool that he's there. But then Pete starts to hand the ball over to him to sign, and my dad was like, no, we don't want to do that, you know, we just want the big red machine. So anyway, Peter Rose Junior signs it, and let's fast forward them. I'm in college and I treasured that ball I had in one of those globes up on my shelf, and I don't know how it happened that my brother's dog ate the ball, And I've always wondered your brother's dog ate the ball. It was devastating, and I've wondered through my whole life what that ball would have been worth. And my thought is I always wondered this. Would the value have dropped or been higher because Pete Rose Junior signed it? You had any idea about that?
Speaker 1: I do not, But I would imagine Junior has signed a few balls on his own. I would think by itself. But on the other hand, if it's two unique signatures together, that would be probably worth more. I bet Pete Rose signed more than ten thousand baseballs, and so to have one signed by his son would probably have more value than simply by itself. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I always wondered that that. It just killed me now that I'm an adult, wondering to value that and just the you know, the the emotional connection to that that my brother's dog ate it.
Speaker 1: Lastly, Karen it tells on this issue, there are so many good things to say about Pete, but then there's the dark side, and then the dark side is bad. However, should we spend time thinking about his accomplishments or his sins and.
Speaker 3: Crimes accomplishments and he should have been in the Hall of Yes.
Speaker 1: Thank you for your calling. God blessed Beatavial. Let's go to Danny in New Carlisle. Then Mike and mount Orb and Danny. Welcome to the Bill Cunningham Show. And Danny give me a full report.
Speaker 11: Hi, Billy, I'm a big fan. I just wanted to tell you one instance. I went to a crossing field with my father when I was a kid, and Pete was out along the left field line warming up, and he threw a baseball up in the stands and I went after.
Speaker 4: It, but another kid got it.
Speaker 11: And then he gets another ball, he throws it up again and the same kid got it. So I'll never forget that, but I just want to emphasize the good things also. But I also want to talk about Jim Gray in nineteen ninety nine, that Pete was allowed to be part of the greatest team ever, and Jim Gray was so bad to him and asked him over and over again and wouldn't let it go about gambling that at my house, I've instituted a boycott against Jim Gray until this morning when he was on Fox News and I lifted the boycott to hear what he had to say. And he's still the same. I don't care for him, and I was embarrassed for Pete at that point, and I still am.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, when Pete Rose grew up in Western Hills, say in the in the mid and late forties and early fifties, there wasn't the availability to play baseball. Can you imagine having a baseball team and the Western Hills in nineteen forty seven, Bentley Post was there, but as far as Little League baseball, and that didn't develop until the late fifties and sixties. And so the idea that a kid that weighs one hundred and thirty pounds it was five foot ten, and Skinny could be scouted by the Reds at the age of eighteen, So Pete Pete would have been nineteen fifty nine. He would have been eighteen years and nineteen fifty nine. There wasn't developed amateur baseball. The Larry Red wines, the world did not exist the Bentley Post. Okay, one, but how do you get to be playing baseball at the age of sixteen unless you've played when you were five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve. You see what I'm saying. You can't. Unlike some sports, you can't start playing baseball when you're sixteen years old and then go to Bentley Post. It didn't work that way. It was amazing that Peter Edward Rose was able to be signed by the Reds because his uncle knew a scout and said, okay, we'll send the kid up to up to Upper New York State and that's where he met Tony President nineteen sixty and so the odds of that guy making it it would be impossible. But Pete Rose at the heart of a lion, and he wanted to play ball, and he wanted to honor his father, Harry, and he wanted to show he could play. And so that's a great story, and thanks for calling in. Had the fur ball there for a moment. If the fur ball calls back, we'll put him on. Let's go to Mike and mount Orb and then to Dave and Dayton. Mike and Mount Orb, give me a Pete Rose story and give me your thoughts.
Speaker 5: All right, Willie, good show.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Met Pete when I was twelve. My dad had contacts and at bolts of strings and we got front Rose seats and was down on the field and got to go in the dugout. I met Pete, Tony, David Concepcion, and Sparky Anderson. Pete asked me if I wanted some advice. I said, well, yeah, he said, play as hard as he can, as up but as he can.
Speaker 1: And you know, Mike, I use that line similarly when I look at someone standing behind a counter, or someone picking up my garbage cans, or somebody working at Skyline Chili, and I'm thinking, I think of my own mother. And she went to work every day of the Marriot hot shops making a dollar sixty an hour, and she would not stop, She would not give up. It was her commitment to that job. And so many Americans today, Mike do not have the commitment to their work and the commitment to excellence as Pete Rose had, so he had sins and crimes out the walls. Who However, a good part of Pete Rose is an example for someone carrying the mail, or someone hitting buttons somewhere in an airport, a pilot, a flight attenants use the term of menial type job that they do so well, and so Pete Rose did baseball well, which allowed him to do so many other things. But I have great respect for men and women who are working road crews, and men and women who shovel snow and pick up branches. Those who work for landscaping companies get up every day, report to work, support themselves, do things the right way, and that's the Pete Rose example. Let's go to Dave and Dayton and then Josh and Williamstown and Dave and Dayton welcome, and what are your thoughts about Pete Rose?
Speaker 12: Hey, Willie, I love your idea of having his funeral at the ballpark, that that has to be done so all of his fans can their respects. But my story goes back to actually he had a photo with my wife back after the nineteen seventy four.
Speaker 4: Xenia Tornado, my in laws.
Speaker 12: Doctor Clement Austria and Gene Austria. Their son was his former US Congressman Sea Austria.
Speaker 4: That you know, they.
Speaker 12: Contacted Pete and Bob Hope and Johnny Bench and they donated their time graciously to come up and raise funds for the Zenia Tornado and actually paid a visit to their house with with a household family picture. Well, I took that picture and blew it up. And because Pete was up in Dayton for a a signing for gran opening of the Rip roadhouse like a biker bar actually, and.
Speaker 4: He was there to get the crowd there.
Speaker 12: And he was doing one hundred dollars an autograph and I brought that photo up. He remembered it like it was yesterday, was so gracious and please to meet me, sign the picture and didn't charge me the hundred bucks on.
Speaker 4: It, and you know it was.
Speaker 12: It was great meeting a Hall of Famer, which he he'd better become one, but you know it was I was shocked as passing. He had the tough grittiness. I figured he'd live well into his nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had. He had three hard procedures. He need. It needs to be replaced in a hip, and he wouldn't do it because he didn't want to be seen walking on crutches or with a cane. And he was told by his close friends, look, if you don't get the knee replacement, both of them, you're going to be in a wheelchair. And as fortune would have it, on Nashville on Sunday afternoon doing a signing show, he was in a wheelchair. And Johnny Bench said earlier that he didn't look right. And you know, if you've seen Pete the last few months, he did a big event at Western Hills Country Club, headquartered by John Craft and others, and he didn't look right, and you know, he had circulation problems, and he assumed he was bulletproof. And I'm sure when he got on that plane and went from Nashville to Las Vegas late Sunday, he was dead tired, and that he went to sleep, and media accounts already didn't wake up, and that there was some he had a girlfriend with. He was living with a girlfriend and she got a key and got in and went in and found him dead. And they assumed no foul play, and they assumed it was a hard or stroke or something of that character. And he needed dentals injury too, and the last few years of his life were not kind to him physically. And so that's saying I want Pete. I want Pete to get the best.
Speaker 12: That's sad, but at least he got to spend one of his last days with his big red machine. You know, brothers, there's.
Speaker 4: Some solace in that.
Speaker 1: And that's a great point.
Speaker 12: Thank you, thanks for having everyone on UH speaking there. Thank you moments right, thank you, Thank you, Dave.
Speaker 1: And And the thing is, I know the Castellini's and Karen Craft and Phil and Bob feel deeply about Pete. I know there's going to be remembrances and UH in March and March and April, but UH to do something. I would hope someone in the family, maybe Fawn or Pete Jr. They're the two oldest of his five children, could UH could do something with the estate because time is a wasting and I would hope they would have Pete buried in Cincinnati, where he belongs, hopefully. I don't know if it's possible to have him buried underneath his statue at the Great American b Park would be quite fitting. Let's continue with one or two more calls. We have Josh and Williamstown. Josh, your memories about Pete Rose.
Speaker 7: Hey, Willy, my favorite radio. I haven't talked to you since your surgery. He's still doing good.
Speaker 1: I'm doing well.
Speaker 12: My uh.
Speaker 1: You know, doctor Carriacus gave me a heart valve and I got it. I remember that twenty nineteen and he tells me I got seven to eight years of that, and then after that he's got one more heart valve and get another cow valve maybe, and after that I'll be about ninety and I'll be done anyway, So.
Speaker 7: You're gonna be here.
Speaker 4: What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Everyone says that, but not a few of us are correct. I mean only Jimmy Carter. By the way, President Jimmy Carter turns one hundred years old today.
Speaker 4: But anyway, I know I've seen that.
Speaker 7: You know, he is a nuclear reactor guy too. A lot of people. He had a comment mat and Live. Not the best president in my opinion, but he's a really good guy.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: He worked with Hyman Rickover on a first nuclear powered submarine. There was a young ensign. Their name Jimmy Carter, and I respected his service. I didn't care much for his presidency, but he he was on the pier that had a great post presidency but allows he presidency. Well, Josh, give me your story about Pete Rose. Yeah, yeah as well.
Speaker 7: Actually, unfortunately I was born in eighty five, so I just missed it. But but I my family, we they're all from Norwood. So I remember being a child going into Serrano's Pizza when Mike sil Luca had it. Yes, Yes, And I remember on the wall all the memorabilia from the Big Red Machine on the wall before the fire happened, and I looked at my dad and I was like, he must have been when I was little. I was like, he must have been one heck of a guy. My dad was like, he's a hero Cincinnati. But what I wanted to bring up was I was on Twitter just earlier and it really made me mad. The Baseball Hall of Fame is on there commenting about how great of a player he was, and I'm like, you just crucified the man his whole life. And then you're he's not even in the ground and you're sitting there praising him, and I'm just like it's disgusting, and then my draftking is posting things about Pete Rose and I'm like, you know, I went to Great American Ballpark and I've been to a whole bunch of games, and every time I go there just really irks me because the MLB is all against betting, but they have draftking billboards out in the outfield, like, you know, advertising betting. I was like Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle were banned for some time for working for casino. I'm like, there's people out there who had more flawed lives, but they're in the Hall of Fame. I'm like, you know, nobody's perfect. Stop crucifying the man.
Speaker 1: You know, they would take advantage of Pete for personal benefits financially, but they would never let him in. And the last dream Pete Rose head was to be admitting to the Hall of Fame. He said, I don't care if I'm in after I'm dead, I won't even know about it, but I want to go in while I'm alive. And also most of the great young players that Ty Cobbs and others were rulent raceist who have been in the ku Klux Klan who also bet on baseball, and baseball has selective outrage, and they had selective outrage against Pete Rose. But that's the way it is. And uh, we'll continue to give you information in the next few days about what's going to happen with the funeral or more and what the Reds are going to do to honor the greatest hitter of all time because forty two fifty six, may I say as a record that shall never be approached and will never be broken. And I pray to God that we recall Pete not for the sins and crimes he committed, but for the glory he brought to the people of Cincinnati and all the honor. Let's continue with more two twenty five. Home of Your Reds and a Home of the Pete Rose is Radio seven hundreds WLW.
Speaker 13: When you get into a wall, you never admit you're in a swamp. Don't ever let a picture tell you you're in a swamp. I would tell people, do you do one of six things when they get into a wall?
Speaker 1: You know what they are?
Speaker 13: Yeah, okay, no, tell me all right, closer to the plate for the way from the plate, up in the box, back in the box, choke up, in the bat more, choke down the bat that more, make it heavier, make it lighter. Never change your swing. Your swing got into the big leags. You change your positioning. Uh in the batter's box. The only way you could jam me is I swung the ball that far inside. But I went into everything. I used to think I could hit the ball inside to right to left field batting left handed better than I could the other way, because you get all your power when you go like that. All right, I can have the same swing that's going to left field, this is going to center field.
Speaker 1: This is pooling.
Speaker 13: Just the difference in more where my hands are, same swing.
Speaker 1: Wow, pretty simple. That's church.
Speaker 6: Hello, quiet skulls, I'm broadcasting.
Speaker 11: Those.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: Do you need one?
Speaker 4: One?
Speaker 1: Batting coach? Is enough?
Speaker 9: Up in the box, Back in the box, close the to the plate, farther away from the plate, choke up on the bat, choke down on the back.
Speaker 1: That's right there. That's all you need.
Speaker 9: You don't need analytics the ball, the bat coming off the ball at ten thousand miles an hour and it goes into the seats at ninety five, or the pitch was one hundred.
Speaker 1: I might just spin rate. Who cares. Who cares? Right there? That's why the hit king is the hit king. He calls me from Mary in federal prison. Figure, that's the call.
Speaker 13: Yah.
Speaker 1: I say, yes, I'll accept the charges. Okay, I said, Pete house a goal and he said, well, I have to do a lot of things here I don't like doing. I said, I wait, my Pete, hold up on that car wise gentlemen, I said a statement or two next that I can't say on the air, right. He said, I'm not doing that. I said, well, what are you doing? He said, well, I'm signing balls. I said, are they baseball? Yeah, I'm signing baseballs. And I said anything else?
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I got to call people and say, hey, hey, mom, this is Pete Rose, your son's. But he would do those things. I says, just don't tell me you're doing anything else. To stay safe. He's signing balls and I said baseballs. Then he gets out, ends up at a halfway house. I go see him there, and that was say that was awful. He rose at a half way house. Then he gets out, goes to Plant City and away we go. And speaking of Plant City, here's Rocky Boyman who's got his own walk back from North Carolina Rock. How we doing. You're back? I'm back.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, now here are two letters Pete sent me. I asked you not to look in the interior to what the content says. But here are two letters that Pete Rose sent me from Marian Federal Prison, hand written letters, and I'm thinking, you know, this is the guy how big. You don't recall you were too young in nineteen eighty four eighty five? Is that correct? No?
Speaker 14: See, that's kind of my deal is I'm forty four years old.
Speaker 1: So probably if.
Speaker 14: You're younger than me, you don't remember Pete as the baseball player, but I do. I was, you know, five, six, seven years old, and that's actually one of my memories.
Speaker 1: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 14: So there was a place on the west side of town called the ball Game and it was a gym remember that gym slash batting cages right, and it was coincidentally right behind Ron's Rus. It was not there anymore. It was right there on Bridgetown Road. I believe, I believe the Wagon Wheel Calf Wagon All Cafe was Cross Street, which.
Speaker 1: I believe Pete's wife worked at. Carolyn, yes, not the girl friend, but Carolyn or Carol one of them.
Speaker 14: So I remember as a young kid being in there and Jeff Sweet was a guy who owned the ball game. My dad would go in there to lift weights and I, you know, the you know, I would go there to you know, hitting the batting cages whatever. And Pete Rose came in like just watch, like a public batting cage walks in. It was in the morning, and and it's the damnedest thing I've ever seen. So you go to batting cages, you know, and they got you know, softball, and then they got slow, medium fast, very fast and very fast was all the way.
Speaker 1: On the left.
Speaker 14: And I remember as a young kid sitting there watching and we're all sitting there just watching this. Right, he rose on the left side of the plate crack in between pitches, goes to the other side of the plate crack, so whiches back to the other side of playing crack. Then, so he's just just launching these balls and this is I had him in eighty five, okay, still playing and then he he he proceeds to scoot like halfway up the tunnel.
Speaker 1: So now he's on the I don't know, the.
Speaker 14: Very fastest what eighty five or something. He's probably standing twenty feet from it.
Speaker 1: Boom crack, boom crack. And I can't remember anything I did two weeks ago.
Speaker 14: But I can remember being a young kid staring in awe at watching with my dad, who was the biggest Pete Rose fan, sitting there watching him hit baseball is at the batting cage at the ball game.
Speaker 1: Why did you never get just because he was I.
Speaker 14: Think he knew I think Jeff Sweet, I think he knew the owner. And again he's He's a west Sider and I'm a West Sider. So you know, he was the embodiment of the west Side, right, blue collar guy, humble beginnings. You know, my grandpa grew up in Fairmont, which is not far from where Pete Rose grew up, and so that West Side grit and determination is something my family identified with right, and that's why we we love Pete Rose. But I I'll never forget that. The other memory I have of him is I get a voicemail. This is a couple of years ago, and it's, uh, hey, Rocky, this is Pete Rose. I got your number from Urban Meyer because you give me a call. I want to talk to you about training for his for his grandson. He was a linebacker at say Next a couple of years back. I believe he's a college baseball player now and somewhere in Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I still have that voicemail safe Hey, hey, Rocky.
Speaker 14: So I called him back and it went straight to voicemail, or went the voicemail whatever, and uh, but that was it. But those are kind of my two uh Pete Rose stories.
Speaker 1: Segment unbelievable, the up in the box, up in the box, back in the.
Speaker 9: Box, closer to the plate, away from the plate, choke up on the bat, choke down on the bat, and don't change your swing, don't change your leg that got you to the big league?
Speaker 1: Su dagon right. Every time that video services on, I watch it. I watch it a million times.
Speaker 9: This is a great it's the best. You don't need seven hitting coaches. You just play that video and that's it. What about the spin rate doesn't make any difference. What about velocity and all that mess?
Speaker 1: A man like a man? Yeah, thank you, I thought aquavels. What you remember watching again?
Speaker 14: It was the tail end of his career, But as I can at least say, I watched him play play baseball, watch and everybody.
Speaker 9: Everybody wanted his hair cut. Every kid wanted fourteen. Oh yeah, I mean I remember it not and playing Anthole one a few games and over and White Oak. Every kid wore fourteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They got mad at him. And it's like, we can't do nothing about it. Fourteen on the team. Six seven year old kids. They want to they want the number fourteen on their back and that's it. So it's like, oh, you've got number fourteen out there. Yeah, well that's a Jimmy. There's Johnny over there at first ball. Fourteen.
Speaker 2: He can't do it.
Speaker 1: He couldn't do anything about this. It's amazing. He could never play play golf. So he invites me to stay with him for a week and play City. Had a beautiful him there playing City or I got on stay with Pete Rose, and I brought my clubs with me. So I have to learn the game of golf, I said Pete. They're like forty years forty five years old. I'm not sure he can play it. He's I'm gonna play. I said, let's play. So I got there to the golf course and we start playing. He's the only baseball player I ever played golf with who couldn't hit a golf ball. He had no swing velocity. You play with John Smoltz, Paul and Neil cry none, Jenny. I said, I don't understand why you can't. Let's try it again. So he takes a golf club. I'll take a golf club and swing it like a baseball bat. Just swing it now. It just changed the plane from that to this, right, go down. He couldn't generate the lot. He didn't hit the ball one hundred and eighty yards and Paul O'Neil sable carry three hundred yards for small How many baseball players can't generate speed when it comes hitting. And I said, Pete, you're not going to damn it. I'm gonna play baseball. It lessons. So one day it's raining, like only a range in Florida. We're in Plaid City. We're playing with a couple of the other reds, and and nobody showed up. He said, let's go. I said, Pete, it's raining. I don't care if it's raining. It's not a rain out, is it.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: He goes out there hitting balls on the range and they're pouring rain and I said, Pete, I can't do this, And so I went into the clubhouse and wait he wanted and played eighteen holes of golf by himself in the rain, playing golf by himself, by himself, and he still couldn't play golf. No, he could not generate clut How's that amazing? I said, just keep swinging like a baseball bat and then just change the plane this way. But he couldn't hit. He couldn't. He couldn't hit the ball. And I never understood the greatest eye, the greatest swing. He said, this is crazy. That ball doesn't move. It's sitting right there. Yeah. I can hit a Steve Carlton slider. Yeah, but I can't hit a baseball golf ball. I said, how's And pros come out and say, Pete, you don't have like a one fifty I had an eight iron. He had hit like a five or four iron one hundred and fifty yards. I said, I don't get it, and he quit playing, goes, I can't master it. Hell, you can't par a hole. That's the first I heard of that true story, thinking about to Kenwick now and then.
Speaker 14: And not usually baseball players suck at golf, not because it can't generate clubs me, but it's they have a baseball swing and it slices and does that.
Speaker 1: But he couldn't. He could not generate a ninety five to one hundred miles for our swing. You want to swing the golf club at least one hundred miles an hour. The Great One one hundred and twenty. He couldn't generate eighty miles an hour in a golf swing. Damnedest thing I've ever seen, I said. He swings at a heart take, I say, ten times in a row swing like a face. Just don't want back. And I just changed the plane and go down. He couldn't hit it. Wow, And I said this, so he quit playing. He said, I can't play, I said, segment, give me some sports.
Speaker 9: Willy the student reporters and proud service every local Thamestar Heating and air Conditioning dealers Thamestar quality. You can feel a Northern Kentucky Callity Weather Heating and Air eight five nine seven eight one forty eight twenty two.
Speaker 1: You can read one of those. To open it up and read it right. Not only oh, go go ahead, go ahead, welly, of course, the world is morning. The passing of the Great One.
Speaker 9: The hit King Pete rose the Reds Hall of Famer, and you'll hear from Tommy Helms, Chris Sabo, who was with Pete over the weekend in Nashville, and also the glue Doug Flynn tonight on Sports Talk.
Speaker 1: He held the seventy six Ridgs together. That's correct, Flynn, big name. Let's see.
Speaker 9: Nick Martinez of the Reds has been named the nash League Pitcher of the Month for September thirty strikeouts opponent's bat at one sixty one against him in an eighty three microscopic er A.
Speaker 1: Let's keep him.
Speaker 9: Bengals up and brought to you by good Spirits, Winding Tobacco and party town to your tailgate headquarters. I'm the par Bengals today waving Hunter Brad Robbins. He came off the IR yesterday.
Speaker 1: Well, well, the Bengals beat the Ravens on Sunday at one o'clock. I don't believe, so please continue. Well, I got now, who's the one among us that said that guy right there said the Bengals, who's gonna win New England with the Banks? Second game? To who's going to win in the Banks? And the third seventeen? And oh what did I say you had him seventeen and oh h I tell the truth.
Speaker 14: You had them well, you had him winning. No, you hadn't win tying two games. I think you had him like it fo fourteen fourteen and two?
Speaker 1: Who mockey? Well, who's writer? Who's more correct at this point? Who's writer? That's me, favor it's you. Yeah, but you know I'm saying now they're going to beat the Ravens.
Speaker 14: The other one, if your other bet comes true is that that Joe Burrow won't play half the games, then this town.
Speaker 1: Will go up a christ crisis month. But right now he's playing as well as he can play, but he can't play linebacker. Have you thought about Joe Burrow playing defensive tackle? Is that possible? No?
Speaker 14: But I said this a long time ago. So we want to play for the Bengals. What about Will Benson? That guy's like six four two thirty five.
Speaker 1: Get him out there, Get him out there, and he played defensive tackle. Joe Burrow so good he can play default. What about some of those relievers. Tony Santon's big, Get him out there, get him out there to play the beans in town? How many yards are the Ravens going to run for on the ground. How many Dereck Henry eight yard run? He's faster, he's a man, he's founds, he's a hairy s man. You know he only eats. He only eats after four o'clock and.
Speaker 9: Like eats an avocado and a banana before practice.
Speaker 1: Like when I play.
Speaker 14: I told this yesterday, when I played, I was eating between four and forty five hundred calori.
Speaker 1: He's a day.
Speaker 14: That was just a main taint, right, because your bike's burning, burn and burning. How does a two hundred and fifty pound guy man who eats his first meal at four o'clock stuff four to five thousand calories in his stomach.
Speaker 1: I don't know what happens if he runs like that. Again, we're in more trouble than we think. Is that correct? Yeah? Well I think. Aren't the Ravens a small favorite? Yes? I believe so small favorite. Won't bet me a hot but Sunday I'll take the ravensday, because then you swindled me.
Speaker 14: You tricked me into I go again. You tricked me going against my gut. I had to go into question and good gut.
Speaker 9: But you you like bamboozle, Yes, well, you had a good weekend though Harrison won.
Speaker 1: Yes, s yes, Dame Dame over Louisville. Ye, the Little Rocks team won. There you go, there you go, and make it right that one of the Little Rocks has a broken arm.
Speaker 14: So apparently according to the story, see other kids are in the house right down stairs, and they have taken the couch cushions off the off the couch and stacked them up, and they're taking turns.
Speaker 1: They would grab the littlest Rock, one by each arm and like slinging, he flies through the air and land on.
Speaker 14: The couch cushions, which are about four foot in the air, and bounce off. And then we think either on the landing he broke his wrist. Sounds like an Iranian missile.
Speaker 1: Guy's got smacked on Monday and smacked down Monday the whole time, apparently until the wrist bricks. Where's me and Gene Oklan to call this right? Speaking of did use any chairs?
Speaker 11: Do you?
Speaker 1: They don't?
Speaker 14: Well houses, everything's broken their house, everything holes, Well, you wanted it, now you got, that's right, we got.
Speaker 1: I would have one. Now she's got. She had to be fair. She's over for three. I'm over three. You're the one deciding that factory. Does she want another one? We talk about it, but I'm forty four. I can't. I can't. You're pretty old. We have to be seventy at the I can't do that. I can't do it.
Speaker 14: But nonetheless, I'm not a guy that's good with numbers at all. I wish I were dates and stuff like you are. But I remember forty one ninety two and forty two fifty six. Those numbers I remember.
Speaker 1: For all times.
Speaker 9: And if I remember right, he got forty one ninety one in Chicago, correct, right? And I think Marge calls the shot calls and said get out of the game, out because you don't want forty one ninety two at Wrigley Field. She wants a packed house like on Tuesday Night against the Pods.
Speaker 1: First, you might recall the show not a shot center two one count runs down and says he and he says, hey, mister Rose March Shot called and said take you out of the lineup. He gave the attendant that one finger salute and went back up and hit and thank god he will pay it outs because Marge wanted to call sellouts and he was in Chicago, and Pete wanted to win the game when it didn't matter.
Speaker 14: By September March, she probably should have got him out of the game when he was like four hits away from it.
Speaker 1: So then you can you can get the three game series and maybe this is the night.
Speaker 9: Nonetheless, Eric Shall with a pitcher Carmelo Melo Carmelo Martinez caught the ball on the bounce and left field, and then you got the infamous play at Home Plate All Star Game nineteen seventy. Here crashing into what we're ay fosse, I mean.
Speaker 14: My dad last night after football, it's about whatever, you know. Eight o'clock calls me. My dad calls me for three things. One to talk about football, two ask about how his grandsons are doing, and ask.
Speaker 1: How I'm doing.
Speaker 14: And he calls and goes, he, I just want to tell you I just heard on the radio Pete Rose just die. And I've coursed him, knew that, And I was like, yeah, He's like, man, that's just man, such a shame. He's like, all right, I just want to take that. You see what he meant to those, you know, to people right for so long, So God bless him.
Speaker 1: Segment get us out of the stute. Report on the day after Pete Rose is dead.
Speaker 9: Willy the hit King, rest in peace. We leave you with the immortal words of the stewed report.
Speaker 1: Systems not working, a moment of silence, and Pete Rose died on the day the National League ended this regular season. Those are those two extra games? Wasn't you with the Rick Flair last night? We're on Twitter. Rick Flair said, Hey, I just saw you last night. Blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Look it up.
Speaker 13: Ah right, this is Pete Rose when I need the price at pork Bellies. I listened to the yid man on seven hundred WL.
Speaker 1: And you gave a shower to Pete Rose? Is that true? Gave a shower, no sponge, no every nok and crean lufah. Come on, come on, break your break yours. Dennison is the last man I gave a shower too on seven hundred that you all don't