Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County KFI Radio.
Speaker 3: This is Mission Control Houston.
Speaker 4: Please call station for a voice check.
Speaker 5: Station.
Speaker 1: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call.
Speaker 6: How do you hear me?
Speaker 7: I can hear you loud and clear. It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 5: Landed and his name is Amy King.
Speaker 7: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 3: Eight is five oh one.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Tuesday, February fourth, oh only ten days till Valentine's Day?
Speaker 3: How exciting? Oh that day? You're not that excited about it? Will yeah?
Speaker 7: Singles Awareness Day, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: They should rename it to that. You and I will go out and celebrate. Hey, you know, I didn't have fog in my neighborhood this morning like yesterday where it was like thick, thick, thick, like pea soup. But as I was driving into Burbank, I could see this wall of fog in the valleys.
Speaker 3: So not in my area this morning.
Speaker 1: But as you head out and about you might hit some dense fogs, So do be careful for that.
Speaker 3: Also.
Speaker 1: I'm hoping this isn't a precursor to what today is going to be like. But I went to make my morning oatmeal. There's no spoons, so I'm having oatmeal with a fork.
Speaker 3: See how that works. Here's what's ahead on wake up call.
Speaker 1: A pair of storms moving into southern California, raising fears possible debris and mudflow in recent burn areas. The National Weather Service says La and Ventura Counties will get a quarter to three quarters of an inch of rain, but up to an inch and a half is possible in areas that include the Palisades and Eaten fire burn scars. A second storm is expected to move through Thursday into Friday morning. Tariffs on Mexico and Canada have been put on hold for a month. The decision comes following President Trump's conversations yesterday with Mexico's president and Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. A ten percent tariff against China's gone into effect effective at midnight. Tulci Gabbard's nomination for National Intelligence Director has received a boost with word that main Republican Senator Susan Collins is going to support her. Colin said that during the confirmation hearing and closed door meetings, Gabbard satisfied her concerns regarding her views on Edward Snowden. We're going to be talking with kfi's White House correspondent John Decker on whether Tulci Gabbard is going to get sent approval when her nomination goes up for a vote today. That's coming up in about three minutes. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A stretch of Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu is going to be closed this afternoon because of the expected rain. Caltran says the highway must be closed as a precaution because of soft soils between Chautauqua Boulevard and Carbon Beach Terrace. The first storm this week should arrive sometime tonight. It's going to hit San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara County is harder than here, but we are still going to get some rain, and then another storm, as I mentioned, is moving in later this week. The Governor's Office of Emergency Services has made preparations for the heavy rains forecast for much of the state. Cal Oees Fire and Rescue Chief Brian Marshall says rescue crews are on standby.
Speaker 8: We have swift water rescue teams that will be available prepositioned in the event that we have flooding urgencies and we need to rescue people.
Speaker 1: Former Early County Sheriff Alex Viannaweva has criticized the lack of preparation by city and county leaders that he claims cost lives in the recent wildfires in Aueva. Tells kfi's John Cobalt the delay and evacuations in Alta Dina was inexcusable.
Speaker 5: No one was saying, hey, this is a big problem.
Speaker 7: Let's get everybody lined up.
Speaker 4: Let's start doing our evacuations in an orderly fashion.
Speaker 8: None of that happened.
Speaker 7: It was kind of like, well, let's put our.
Speaker 9: Finger in the wind and see what we do once we see the.
Speaker 1: Fire authority say Nightly curfew orders are still in effect from six pm to six am in the burn areas in an effort to restrict unnecessary access and prevent looting. Demonstrators have marched again in downtown LA to oppose President Trump's deportation policies.
Speaker 10: Protesters took to the streets and freeways to march and rally. The past two days, some protesters threw water bottles at police, and say officers responded by using non lethal force. Nikola says she came to protest peacefully.
Speaker 6: I got shot by a Robbert bullet.
Speaker 11: But I'm here because I want them to pay attention to not just myself, but my family as well.
Speaker 10: By five twenty pm yesterday, the LAPD declared the protest an unlawful assembly. Crowds began to thin out about an hour later. Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: The protest yesterday was part of a nationwide movement called a Day Without Immigrants.
Speaker 3: It's five h six.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. So, John, the confirmation train just keeps rolling into the station.
Speaker 3: This stop.
Speaker 4: Tulsi Gabbard, Yeah, Telsey Gabbard. She is President Trump's choice to be the next Director of National Intelligence. That's the individual that has oversight over eighteen different intelligence agencies, a really important role. And she got a big booth yesterday. Amy. The reason being is because Senator Susan Collins, she's a Republican from Maine. She's a Republican Senator from Maine who voted against Pete hagsats nomination to be Defense Secretary yesterday. She says she will vote for Tulcy Gabbert for the position of DNI. And that is a big boost because she was seen as a potential no vote, was on the fence. That may convince other Republican Senators who may be on the fence to also vote for Tulci Gabbert when her nomination is taken up by the Senate Intelligence Committee today.
Speaker 1: And do we know who the other people are who may be leaning against or at least on the fence.
Speaker 4: I think there's one name that comes up often, and that is Senator Todd Young. He's a Republican Senator from Indiana. He's one of those few Republican senators who did not endorse Donald Trump for president. He's obviously supportive of President Trump's legislative agenda. At the same time, he's not a big fan of some of the things that Trump does personally, and he keeps an arms length distance from President Donald Trump. He has not indicated definitively how he will vote on Tulci Gabbert's nomination. You may recall from Pete Hegsseth's confirmation vote, that Republicans can afford to lose three Republican senators if all Democrats vote against the nomination. We saw that happen with Pete Hegsath. You lose four, that's when the nomination is killed. So I think that it's one of those things that may play out the same way as the Pete Hegseth nomination that we saw within the past two weeks, in which it could be Vice President jd Vance who breaks a fifty to fifty tie as it relates to her nomination.
Speaker 1: And what about I think Murkowski and McConnell voted against hag Seth.
Speaker 3: Do we know which way they're leaning on this one?
Speaker 4: They have not indicated, you know, and I think that that's going to be interesting to see how they vote. This is an important role. The reason why you know, you have senators on the Republican side that are wish you Why she on Tulsey Gabert has to do not only with how she performed in her confirmation hearing, but more importantly, her record, her record as a US congresswoman as a Democrat representing Hawaii. Meeting with the leader of Syria, Basher al Assade, taking positions that sound like Russian talking points. All of that came up in her confirmation hearing. And for some senators they're not satisfied with the answers that she gave during that confirmation year.
Speaker 1: Okay, well we'll find out if they were, and whether any Democrats might vote for or probably not on this.
Speaker 4: One, I don't think so. I don't think she's going to get any Democratic votes. Also, keep in mind today, I'll say this really quickly, Amy. Today, the committee that oversees the Department of Health and Human Services, they will vote on the nomination of our F K. Junior to be the Secretary of HHS. He too will face a very tough vote. There are many sensors who have not indicated how they will vote on RFK Junior's nomination.
Speaker 1: Okay, so both of them get a committee vote today before it goes to a full Senate.
Speaker 4: If it's bad, correct, that's correct. And as it relates to RFK Junior, a lot of focus on Senator Cassidy from Louisiana. He's a medical doctor by training. He has said he was very dissatisfied with some of the answers that RFK Junior gave to questions he posed during the confirmation hearing. There's a lot of focus on him and how he will vote on RFK Junior's nomination. He could potentially sink the nomination if he's a no vote when that vote happens later today.
Speaker 3: Okay, and we will be watching. Never a dull moment.
Speaker 1: Kfi's White House correspondent John Decker, thank you, as always.
Speaker 3: We'll talk again soon.
Speaker 4: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Officials in Washington, d C sand engine and large pieces of the fuselage from last week's midair crash between a commuter plane and an Army helicopter have been pulled from the Potomac River. The Army Corps of Engineers expects to remove the cockpit today. Officials say they've recovered more human remains, but they didn't give specifics. DC Assistant Fire Chief Gary Stein says resources are being offered to support the divers who've been recovering remains.
Speaker 9: It's tragic and everything imaginable that you can think of, right that is what they're dealing with day in and day out.
Speaker 1: So far, fifty five people who died in the crash have been identified.
Speaker 3: Vice President J. D.
Speaker 1: Vance says East Palestine, Ohio will not be forgotten.
Speaker 12: We are committed not just to finishing the environmental side the cleanup, but hopefully seeing East Palestine build back better and stronger and more prosperous than it was before this disaster happened in the first place.
Speaker 1: He visited the community yesterday for the second anniversary of a Norfolk Southern train derailment that spewed toxic chemicals into the air and into the ground. New EPA administrator Lee Zelden, who joined the VP on the trick about to make the cleanup effort in the area his department's highest priority. Secretary of State Marco Rubio says the president of El Salvador has offered to accept deportees from the US in what Rubio calls an act of extraordinary friendship.
Speaker 11: MS thirteen, trenda R or whatever it may be. He has offered his jails so we can send them and he will put him in in his jails. And he's also offered to do the same for dangerous criminals currently in custody of serving their sentences in the United States, even if they're US citizens or legal residents.
Speaker 1: A US official says the Trump administration has no plans to try to deport American citizens, but that the offer was significant. Rights groups have criticized the move, which El Salvador says will help provide funding to make its harsh prison system sustainable. The first Marines have landed at the US military facility in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. They'll set up a migrant deportation center that may eventually hold up to thirty thousand people. Marine Corps First Sergeant Johnny Stone says it's what they trained for.
Speaker 7: At a moment's notice, we get the call.
Speaker 13: We were in the field training for something like this, and it happened.
Speaker 7: We stay ready and we're ready to go, and here we are.
Speaker 1: The Marines had short notice for this trip, as the command to go was given just late Friday. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyah, who's in the US, to meet with President Trump at the White House.
Speaker 3: The meeting this afternoon will.
Speaker 1: Be Trump's first with a foreign leader since his inauguration got a little frog in my throat. Netanyahu is looking to strengthen ties with the US after a sometimes tense relationship with the Biden administration over the warre in Gaza.
Speaker 9: Our decisions and the courage of our soldiers have redrawn the map, but I believe that working closely with President Trump, we can readraw it even further and for the better.
Speaker 1: The meeting comes as negotiations for the second phase of the ceasefire with Hamas are set to begin this week. Researchers at UC Irvine say listening to jazz could help reduce chronic pain.
Speaker 14: The study offered a variety of music options, but it was improvisational jazz with a player veers from the usual notes of a familiar song that showed the most promise.
Speaker 15: You see.
Speaker 14: Irvine professor Sean Jung says focusing intently on the music helped cut down the amount of pain. Patients felt.
Speaker 5: If we could teach people how to do that, then it may be able to take their mind off the paint, and that was a goal and ultimately that's what we found.
Speaker 14: The study was conducted over four weeks and has been published in the medical journal Curious. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 3: I'd try it. I like Jess.
Speaker 1: Protesters have taken over city streets for a second day to rally against President Trump's deportation policies. About a thousand protesters overtook the Spring and Main Street overpasses of the one oh one yesterday, but police were able to keep them from getting onto the freeway. As residents head back into the wildfire burn areas, they say, lawyers are swarming trying to get him to sue for damages. Legal experts tell residents not to rush into representation and question whether lawyers are being ethical. More than a dozen lawsuits have already been filed. Ticket prices for Super Bowl fifty nine have dropped thirty percent over the past week. Prices are down fifty percent compared to last year's Super Bowl. The least expensive tickets for the Big Game still going for about four thousand dollars. The game, of course, this Sunday at the Caesars Super Dome. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Karen Travers. Karen, tariffs were supposed to kick in starting at midnight, but last minute verbal agreements with Mexico and Canada stopped them at least temporarily.
Speaker 16: Yeah, they're on pause for a month. According to the President yesterday, after his conversations with the leaders of Mexico and Canada. He spoke to the President of Mexico in the morning, he spoke to the Prime Minister of Canada in the morning and again in the afternoon, and then had announced over the course of the day that there would be a pause for both countries tariffs. But the President was very clear in the oblosis yesterday that this is a pause that these could go into effecting the months. He said, maybe we will, maybe we won't. I think the big thing we're looking for now is what is the metric that he's looking for. What is he judging these two countries on their actions at the border, And that's not clear at this point that I asked the White House yesterday what is he looking to see? What kind of action? And Caroline Levitt, the President's press secretary, could not say what he's trying to do. She said, negotiations will continue, that he's sending down the Secretary of State and Treasury and Commerce to have high level conversations with Mexican officials and then after a month bill assess and see where things go from there.
Speaker 1: Okay, but immediately, or at least you know, immediately end quotes Mexico and Canada have agreed to send troops to their borders.
Speaker 10: They did.
Speaker 16: Mexico said that they would be sending ten thousand troops to the northern border. But you know, it's important to note that, yes, the White House said yesterday these would be permanent troops. They have done this in the past.
Speaker 2: There have been.
Speaker 3: Troops there at the border.
Speaker 16: It's not a new concept for them, a new action for them. Canada had said that they were going to do one point three billion dollar border plan. Important to note that this is announced back in December. They had already talked about the details of this. Yesterday they added on some new details, saying that they were going to appoint that Fentinel zur launch a joint task force with the United States aimed at border security and addressing the sentinel issue. But the Mexican excuse me, The Canadians have been very perplexed in the word they keep using as to why they've been targeted on tariffs on this specific issue, because they say that the sentinel coming over the border between the US and Canada is nothing compared to what you're seeing at the southern border, and therefore they're very surprised why this has been the issue that the President has euroede in on at the northern border, okay.
Speaker 1: And then so we've got pauses on Mexico and Canada, but there has been no movement on China. So those tariffs did go into effect at midnight.
Speaker 3: They did.
Speaker 16: They went into effect at midnight as expected. There was no indication yesterday that there was going to be a pause on those tariffs, and also the expectation was that it would retaliate, and they did swiftly. Beijing announced tariffs on American goods like coal, liquefied natural gas, crude oil, agricultural machinery, and pickup trucks. And they've also said that they think that this was the wrong action by the United States and they're urging the administration to back down on this. We are expecting the President and China's President g to have a conversation on the phone in the next couple of days. Not clear if that's going to take place before the Chinese tariff's go into effect, which.
Speaker 1: Is next week, okay, And the tariffs for China. Just make sure that we have it clear. It's on those the coal and the liquid natural guess that's all on products that are going to China.
Speaker 16: Yes, on American goods going from the US to China.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then we don't even have time to talk about it. But Trump is hinting that tariffs could be slapped on European Union countries too.
Speaker 16: Yeah, He's been saying that for some time and again reiterated that yesterday, talking about targeting the European Union too.
Speaker 1: ABC's Karen Travers, thank you so much, as always appreciate the information.
Speaker 16: I have a great day.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: We're just getting word into the KFI newsroom that five people have been shot at an adult education center in Sweden.
Speaker 3: We'll get you more details as more comes in.
Speaker 1: The La County Medical Examiner's Office has identified two more people in the fire in the Pacific Palisades area. That brings the death toll from the fire to twelve. The Eton Fire that burned through parts of Altadena and Pasadena killed seventeen people. Fourteen members of Congress from southern California are starting an investigation into the emergency alerts that went out by mistake during the fires in La County. Remember those. ABC's Alex Stone says the alerts sent to people's cell phones were critical during the fires.
Speaker 15: At least one mistake in erroneous alert that went out to all ten million residents of La County telling everybody they were in danger and to evacuate, when in fact most were nowhere near the wildfires.
Speaker 1: The lawmakers say erroneous alerts like that will cause people to mute or ignore future alerts, and that could be deadly. Billionaire developer and former candidate for mayor of La Rick Carusoe has launched a foundation to help speed up wildfire recovery efforts. The group's Steadfast LA aims to bring private and public sectors together to rebuild in Pacific Palisades in Altadena. Crusoe has been critical of the city's wildfire response and says his foundation will help cut through red tape. Some relatives of convicted killers Eric and Lyle Menendez have spoken against a recent change at the La County DA's office.
Speaker 14: Assistant Das Brock Lunsford and Nancy the Burge have worked on the Menindez case and have recommended them for resentencing because of new evidence related to sexual abuse, but the pair of prosecutors say they've been reassigned by new DA Nathan Hackman. They say it was retaliatory and they'll sue. Menindez family members have spoken in support of Lunsford and the Burge, calling the reassignments disappointing and expressing worry that politics could infiltrate the effort to see the brothers freed. The Meninez brothers have been in prison since killing their parents in nineteen eighty nine. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Defend Secretary Pete Hegseth has visited the southern border in Texas to meet with some of the active duty soldiers sent by President Trump. Hexas says the troops are proud to be there because.
Speaker 7: Of President Donald Trump.
Speaker 6: This is a new era at the southern border.
Speaker 3: He says.
Speaker 1: The soldiers are motivated to be at the border because they're defending their friends, families, and communities. California Attorney General Rob Bonte says the Trump administration's offer to buy out federal employees is really aimed at dismantling the federal workforce. The administration says any employees who take the offer will be paid through the end of September, but they have to resign by Thursday. Banta is one of twelve attorneys general warning federal employees about the potential pitfalls of accepting the buyout. More than a thousand employees at the Environmental Protection Agency could be losing their jobs as the Trump administration looks to cut government costs. The union that represents EPA workers says eleven hundred employees who've worked for the agency less than a year received an email notifying them they could be dismissed immediately. Former President Biden has a talent agent. Biden has signed with CAA to represent him in his post presidential life. CAA repped the former president between twenty seventeen and twenty twenty after he was vice president. The Century City based agency also represents Barack and Michelle Obama's High Grounds productions. Okay, remember yesterday we talked about dog Man and that it brought in like thirty six million dollars at the box office and none of us knew what it was. It's about a half dog, half man police officer, and in the days of all of the CGI, I thought it was a live action, but it's really it's a it's an animated movie. Our Jason Campadonia came in and he's like, oh, my kids love that.
Speaker 3: So apparently it's heard of, because I.
Speaker 1: Had never seen of it, seen it or heard it or seen any ads or anything. But he said that the ads are all over YouTube, and there are Dogman graphic novels, and so it's advertised on YouTube. And so he said his kids knew about it and they were super excited, and there may even be a YouTube series. But that's the lowdown on dog Man. So I watched the trailer. Looks kind of cute. It looks a little weird because when they do something happens to the guy and then there's his dog, and then they go basically go, hey, what if we took the head off the dog and put it on the person.
Speaker 7: Can you do that?
Speaker 1: You can an animation, because now there's something called dog Man.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Protesters have hurled rocks and bottles at laped officers as they tried to break up crowds that had gathered for a second day to protest President Trump's deportation policies. Police, we're able to keep the protesters away from the one to one freeway, unlike Sunday, when the crowd shut down the freeway off and on four hours. The Governor's Office of Emergency Services has preposition fire crews in wildfire areas where rain could cause flooding, mud and debris flows. Crews are ready for swift water rescues near rivers and other waterways and intra More rain is expected in the burn areas this week. An Altadena resident has been called a hero for his efforts the night the Eton fires erupted. Congresswoman Judy Chu presented Edgar McGregor with a Certificate of Congressional Recognition yesterday in Pasadena for posting alerts and videos which provided information to thousands of people about the fast spreading and deadly fire. Let's say good morning now to KFI is Rory O'Neil.
Speaker 3: Morning, Rory, good morning, Happy Tuesday, Happy Tuesday to you.
Speaker 1: So, if you're looking for a last minute getaway, New Orleans might be the place to go.
Speaker 5: Huh, it could be, but you know, the ticket prices are lower, but they're not reasonable.
Speaker 2: Let's be.
Speaker 7: Going to be a hard Yeah, the.
Speaker 5: Folks over at Tickpick say tickets have fallen below four thousand dollars each on the secondary market. But that's a thirty percent drop in just the past week, and more than half or less than half of what they were a year ago. Keep in mind, look we're all sick and tired of Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 7: I think that's number one. Number two.
Speaker 5: Last time around, the tickets got crazy high because for the first time ever, the Super Bowl was in Las Vegas, so you had all those high rollers going and that really skewed the ticket prices. They're a little bit more back down to earth now that things are happening in New Orleans.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm wondering with the Las Vegas super Bowl whether it was the casinos buying the tickets for the high rollers because yea, how they get those perks and they don't care they've got grazillions of dollars.
Speaker 5: Well, no, that was a big part of it, and you know the cachet of Vegas and that first time Super Bowl and all the gambling that was surrounding it. Yes, New Orleans has a nice casino right next door to the super Dome, but clearly not the same kind of vibe that they saw last year. So that may be another reason that things have come down. And you know, there's a look. As a long time Patriots fan, I realized we were the jerks of the NFL for a while. I get it, but you know you ask your significant other, Oh, can I please splurge? It's the one time I'm only going to be able to see my team in the super Bowl. Well you've done this a few times now, you don't do the splurge because this keeps happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so interest in the super Bowl maybe down?
Speaker 1: Are there any airfare deals or hotels available?
Speaker 3: Even if people said, you know what, I'm going.
Speaker 5: To do it? Yeah, the hotels will be snatched up, so that's going to be a tough find. So maybe you might find some success on something like a verbo or the Airbnb to try to find someplace to stay. But it's really so corporate now they buy up all the hotels in advance that it's really tough to get in there. And airfare is going to matter where you're coming from. Obviously, flights from Philadelphia and from Kansas City they'll all ready to be sold out for fans. But if you can hop a cheap flight from LA to New Orleans, that may be in the mix.
Speaker 3: All Right, Rory, who you rooting for?
Speaker 7: The guacamole the grog?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I'm ready for the forty nine ers who didn't make it this year.
Speaker 3: That's my team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, I just I can't root for the Eagles. The Eagles are great, Philadelphia is great. The Eagles fans are terrible, terrible people. So I guess I'll go with my homes, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Cay if i's Rory O'Neil, thank you so much.
Speaker 7: Thanks Art you soon.
Speaker 3: All right, we have just been.
Speaker 1: Talking about money, big Bucks, and so let's shift over to Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho heard it video stations across the country and now right here on KFI every day. Let's get into some money. So let's start with the Wall Street and how hopefully it's gonna be a little calmer today.
Speaker 13: Oh we're hoping, you know what, I should grab myself some tequila and kick back. But with these tariffs, maybe that's not a good idea at all.
Speaker 3: Well maybe you need it to kind of calm yourself exactly.
Speaker 13: Well, stocks are a little changed, not like the tumble that we saw at this time yesterday when we were talking. Traders are following the tip for tat trade measures between the US and China, and analysts are saying China's tariff steps look restrained at first glance. So This is why stocks are holding steady and we're not seeing these big drops. So Dow futures they're down about seventy points. S and P futures are up a tenth of a percent. But yesterday, oh, it was a volatile session. The market was whipsawing on every tariff headline. Still there is so much uncertain to be uncertainty about how our economy will be able to handle a trade war if it comes to that. The Dow dropped one hundred and twenty three points to finish out the session.
Speaker 1: It was down as much as six hundred though, so down one per three not so bad, A.
Speaker 13: Little bit better because I mean traders are worried about the implication of tariffs. This morning, we got China retaliating. They're targeting a handful of American companies. They're slapping taxes on some goods. But at least it's not as bad as what people were expect. And then of course there's that hold off for Mexico and Canada, and that's bringing a little bit of relief to the markets.
Speaker 6: Hopefully they'll be a.
Speaker 13: Last minute negotiation, a last minute deal.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have a question for you about futures, because when we talk every day, it's going to be a little less than an hour before trading actually starts. But the futures, what are they and how do they kind of guide the day?
Speaker 13: Well, the thing about it is more it's more of an indication until the market is open, so people are making bets ahead of time. This is probably the best way to look at it, is that people are making bets ahead of time on where they think the markets are going to.
Speaker 6: Be at the open.
Speaker 13: So we do see obviously in the futures market, we do see moves every time that there is a different headline like yesterday when the tariffs were coming out, or.
Speaker 6: Of course this is a big corporate.
Speaker 13: Earning season, so anytime a company comes out and says things are great or ooh, things are bad, we do see these indications moving in a certain direction, either up or down.
Speaker 6: So it's a good way to give you a good.
Speaker 13: Idea of at nine thirty New York Times how everything's going to look during the day.
Speaker 1: Okay, and as you mentioned, we're going to have some corporate announcements that come in later this week. Real quick, we want to hit on State Farm, which is still providing insurance policies in California.
Speaker 3: But they want to hike your rates a lot. Oh, yes they do.
Speaker 13: They're asking for an emergency rate hike from state regulators, So be careful if you are somebody who's a state farm homeowner. They're warning that the multi billion dollar payouts from the wildfires is threatening its balance sheet, it's threatening its financials. So they're looking for a twenty two percent average hike in rates for homeowners, fifteen percent for rentals and condo owners. They're looking for the new rates to go into effect May first, but the insurer said that it's wildfire payouts so far have already top to billion dollars and they're expected to rizing them further.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and Courtney, I also saw that the average is twenty two percent, but for rental units, so like if you have a house that you rent out, they want to hike those rates by thirty eight percent.
Speaker 6: And it's these insurance companies.
Speaker 13: They've said that they have already paid out four point two billion dollars in claims for the Eaton and Palisades fire. But they're also saying that the insurance regulator is saying that they're going to look into the request.
Speaker 6: But there's a lot of people.
Speaker 13: There's this consumer watchdog group, it's an insurance advocacy organization, and they're saying the company hasn't really provided the data to back up all these predictions, these dire predictions that they have for the state of the insurance market.
Speaker 1: I'd be interested to see out of you know, they say that they've paid out four point something billion. I'd be interested to see how much money they bring in every year.
Speaker 13: And that's what we get in these quarterly earnings reports, so we'll get a better indication of how much. But as these insurance watchdogs consumers who are saying, I can't really afford this anymore, and especially on top of these rise rates every single year, they're saying, something really has to be done and we need to we need to dig into these numbers to really tell the true story here.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we'll watch and see if that one gets approved. Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho, thank you so much. We'll talk to you tomorrow morning.
Speaker 6: See you later.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Three lawmakers in the LA area are asking the federal government to help protect families in the wake of the wildfires. Laura Friedman, Judy Chu, and Brad Sherman say they're going to ask the EPA to quickly assess danger from asbestos, lead, and chlorine that could be in dust carried through the air from the Palacea Palisades and eaten fires. Friedman says her constituents in and outside the burn areas are concerned about the air and the safety of school children. A Republican lawmaker from the Central Valleys put up a bill to take funding away from California's high speed rail project.
Speaker 17: Maybe two sixty seven would divert a billion dollars a year from cap and trade to projects that would make investments for water infrastructure and wildfire prevention.
Speaker 1: To Lari County assembly Woman Alexandra Messito says critics arguments that shifting the funding away from high speed rail would impact more than ten thousand workers just doesn't hold water?
Speaker 17: Do farm worker jobs not matter and count? Because if we don't get water to the Central Valley, we will continue to have to fallow farm ground, and in turn, farm workers will.
Speaker 4: Not have jobs.
Speaker 1: Mesda says a fast train would be nice someday, but water and wildfire prevention are higher priorities. Eleven billion dollars has been spent on the high speed rail. Of the high speed rail project, no tracks have been laid yet, Costs of the project have ballooned to an estimated one hundred and thirty five billion dollars. California Attorney General Rob Bonte says the Trump administration's offer to buy out federal employees is really aimed at dismantling the federal workforce. The administration says any employees who take the offer will be paid through the end of September, but they have to resign by Thursday. Bonte is one of twelve attorneys general warning federal employees about the potential pitfalls of accepting the buyout. State Farm has asked California to approve an emergency rate hike of an average of twenty two percent so it can pay for the impact of the wildfires in La County. State Farm says it has received at least eighty seven hundred claims and has already paid out a billion dollars to customers. The reopening of Pacific Coast Highway through Pacific Palisades in Malibu is going to be short lived. The stretch of highway that has been closed since the fires reopen in both directions yesterday morning. It's closing this afternoon at three pchs expected to remain closed through at least Friday because of concerns about mud and debris flows that could be caused by the rain that's expected to roll in starting later today. A man's been arrested for allegedly trying to start two fires in Canoga Park. Police got several calls yesterday afternoon about someone in dark clothing near Box Canyon who was setting fires. One of the callers followed the forty one year old man until La County Sheriff's deputies arrived. They did and arrested him. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, Mexico and Canada get a pause, but China's on the hook for terraffs and.
Speaker 3: They're slapping back.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to the host of How to Money on KFI, Joel lars Guard. So, Joel, I just mentioned tariffs and how Mexico and Canada get a pause, But I thought maybe we should talk about tariffs and you know, what do they mean to you and me on a daily basis.
Speaker 18: Sure, Yeah, from a personal finance perspective, there was there was like a lot up in the area yesterday. Right, it felt like some whiplash going on, some tariff whiplash. And you know, the over the weekend it was like, hey, yeah, it's it's going down. We're going to implement tariffs on China, Canada, Mexico. And this is just kind of a departure too, from President Trump's tact in his first administration, where it was essentially kind of tariffs against adversaries and now it's tariffs against nations bordering nations that we're friendly with in order to kind of get concessions. He got those concessions and so the tariffs are at least punted for a month, depending on what else he's trying to bargain for. But the truth is if these tariffs went into effect, if they go into effect next month, the goods price of goods and services will go up on a whole lot of things. And it really tariffs essentially, when you know, they boil down to attacks on consumers on everyday Americans. So there's been a lot written about what would go up in price. It's a lot of things. Avocado's maple syrup. But then it's bigger things too, like the price of cars, because all of these components that go into making cars, well, they fly across the border, across Canada and Mexico and back again. And so the tariffs that would be instituted on some of these items is going to make a lot of things more expensive. I think lumber, concrete like things are going to get more expensive. Renovating your house. The quote you got last week, it might not be good. A month from now, it might have gone up quite a bit. So these are the kind of things that people should at least notice and be aware of.
Speaker 1: Okay, you said that the tariffs would kick in, you know, and again they're on pause right now, at least with Mexico and Canada. Would the effect be immediate or might it be like three months down the road or what kind of repercussions are they there?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that depends.
Speaker 18: So some businesses have in expectation of these tariffs, they have stockpiled certain things they have maybe pre bought in hopes to avoid paying extra for some of the supply chain goods and services that they're buying.
Speaker 7: For whatever it is they're producing, so some people.
Speaker 18: Have kind of gotten out of the ahead of it, and it might be a slow truckle to implement these price increases as finally they have to make new orders and the tear increased prices of tariffs hit them. But one thing is for sure, those tariffs do ultimately pass on to the consumer. So we've talked about, you know, inflation, and inflation has been you know, at least being curbed meaningfully since the you know, since couple of years ago. But these tariffs could for sure impact inflation. So it's one of those things where you kind of can't have your cake and eat it too, implement the tariffs as a geopolitical strategy and then also hope to tame inflation at the same time.
Speaker 7: That's just not how it works.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, the tariffs did go into effect with China. Is it everything that comes over from China gets a ten percent tariff?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what's looking like.
Speaker 18: So last time too, it was it was targeted tariffs, right, it was specific items. And it certainly seems like these these tariffs on China and these tariffs on mexic they're being less strategically implemented and it's more of a broad based strategy as well. So yeah, and there are certain exemptions, like, for instance, with Canada, there was going to be a smaller tariff on oil but on oil imports. So yeah, it's again, this is a really scattershot strategy. It's quickly moving, as we saw yesterday, and where this ends up as anybody's guess. It certainly seems like it's more of a negotiating tactic than really this desire to make tariffs hurt and impact consumers.
Speaker 1: At the end of the day, you know that Trump likes to make a deal. Okay, so let's move on really quick. I know we don't have a lot of time, but I want to touch on this. You said that parents are basically gaming the system to improve their kids credit stores, and I'm wondering if first explain that and then whether it's a bad thing that they're doing.
Speaker 18: Yeah, so that there was this article in The Atlantic and it was kind of actually lamenting the fact that some parents are gaming the system and they're helping their kids. Well, okay, so mostly that one of the best ways to do this is to add your child as an authorized user to your credit card.
Speaker 7: If you handle your credit card responsibly.
Speaker 18: So if you pay your balance off on time and in full, and let's say you have a high credit limit and you only use a small fraction of the overall limit that you have been given by the credit card companies, Well, if you add your child as an authorized user, and every credit card issuer has kind of different standards for this. Some will say, oh, you can only do it if your child is over thirteen. Others you can add them as a newborn, and so it's kind of cool. You can have a baby on Tuesday and on Wednesday adam as an authorized user, and they're building a healthy credit score. So by the time they leave the nest, it looks like they have this immaculate credit history. And so savvy parents are saying, let me help my kid out in this way, because credit scores impact almost everything we do in our daily lives.
Speaker 1: Okay, but isn't that sort of like doing your kids homework for them? Like I had to build my credit and I have great credit now, but I learned about it early and I started building it early, you know, I mean, like it's something that I accomplished.
Speaker 18: Yeah, well, I do think this is one of those gaming like incentives matter, and people are going to do.
Speaker 7: Whatever they can to give their kids a lagup.
Speaker 18: Think about what parents do to try to get their kids into the right college, all the extra tutoring and the testing and stuff like that, and so.
Speaker 7: I don't see it.
Speaker 18: I don't necessarily want my kids to learn the hard way on everything, although certainly I do want them to learn the hard way on some stuff. But I do think that adding your kid as an authorized user while you're teaching them all the important stuff about how to handle credit, well, I just think that that can be savvy. I think it can be smart, so as.
Speaker 3: Long as you're teaching the kids as you go and not just handing them something.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I think it's really different.
Speaker 18: I think very differently about kind of setting them up from a financial perspective and stocking away tons of your own money for their future. Sometimes that can lead to entitlement. But the credit thing is a little bit different and just being a little savvy around the system because it is so impactful to almost every financial decision we make, even like renting an apartment and not in California, but in many states, getting insurance for your car, you're going to pay more if you have a bad credit score, So yeah, help your kid get a good credit score and then talk to them about the importance of keeping it good.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're helping them start out on the right foot. Okay, I can get on board with.
Speaker 3: Them, Okay.
Speaker 1: Joel Larsgard, the host of how to Money on care and for some more great advice on how to handle your money. You can listen to Joel noon to two on Sundays right here on KFI. Can also follow him at how to Money.
Speaker 3: Joel. Thank you so much. We'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 7: All right, sounds good. Thanks Amy, Thank you.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland.
Speaker 3: Weather from KFI.
Speaker 1: Dense fog in areas this morning, otherwise partly cloudy, slight chance of rain this afternoon, highs in the load to mid sixties. Rain likely later tonight, and rain expected tomorrow with highs in the lo mid sixties. Another store moves in, with rain likely Thursday and Friday before we dry out for the weekend. It's going to be cool, with highs all week in the lo to mid sixties. It's fifty two and fuller ten fifty four. San Clemente fifty one in Pasadena fifty two in Santa Monica. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer Cono, along with traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen any.
Speaker 3: Old time on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.