Speaker 1: It's nice Eye Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: All Right, welcome back everybody. It is now a little bit. Let's say about eleven o seven here as we head TOORG the midnight hour. The Red Sox. One earlier tonight, I'm Brian Bellow. Came up with a veyo. Came up with a pretty good performance. I think you threw eight innings of shutout baseball, and the Red Sox beat the Blue Jays to tie up this series two games to two. But the Red Sox need to win much more than they lose if they have any hopes of making the playoffs. But that's the story for another night. If you were out there tonight, I'd love to get any reaction.
Speaker 3: I'm going to give you some options here. Okay.
Speaker 2: We we talked earlier tonight with doctor Marty McCarey. Uh talked talked about the banning of cell phones in in schools, which.
Speaker 3: I think it's got to that point. I really do.
Speaker 2: But you can pick up on any of that conversation if you'd like. Also, I thought that our guest last hour, Scott Allen Curly, is an extraordinary guy. This is a guy with nine convictions, spent a decade behind bars. I mean almost lost, you know, his entire existence, because once you've spent ten years behind bars, it's tough to break that cycle. But he was able to do it. And if you listened last hour, I hope if you missed Last Hour, please listen to it at night side and demand because it was an extraordinary hour just hearing his story and one subject that came up today which I thought was sort of interesting, and I hope some of you might feel the same way. Bill Belichick, who is out of the coaching game at least for a year. I'm convinced that a year from now Belichick will be back as a coach. He's only a few wins away from the the most wins of any head coach in the NFL. But Belichick had some comments about the Massachusetts millionaires tax. That was a ballot question that was approved in twenty twenty two by a narrow margin fifty two to forty eight percent, in which very few people obviously are millionaires, and so most people, when you give them a chance to tax someone else who may be making more money than they do, the instinctive reaction is, hey.
Speaker 3: Why not. You know it's not going to call I'm not a millionaire. It's not going to cost me anything. Why not?
Speaker 2: It's as simple as that. You know, if they had a ballot question that said, you know, if you're left handed, you got to pay an extra four percent on your state in them tax. Well, everybody who's right hand, they're they're going to vote for that. Simple, as simple as that. So Bill Belichick made a point. He was interviewed by The Herald. Well he was he was interviewed, excuse me on on a podcast and there was a story in The Herald Today which which picked up on Who's on ESPN's Pat McAfee show. You know, I like to give credit where credit is due, and he talked about the practical impact of the millionaire's tax in Massachusetts. So, in Massachusetts, if you make over a million dollars, and name me a professional athlete that doesn't make over a million dollars, I think.
Speaker 3: You probably can find some, but not many.
Speaker 2: Major League minimum is still less than a million dollars. But most players in the NFL, even those on taxi squads, make make good coin.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And if you successful, if you're successful as a professional athlete, you were you were handsomely rewarded, handsomely rewarded. But there's a disparity, and that disparity is between certain states. So you have a state like Massachusetts, which hits a pro athlete, or for that matter, anyone who's a business person who's extremely successful, they pay five percent on their first million dollars. Of course, everybody pays the same in your federal income taxes. You got to understand that doesn't matter where you live California, Tennessee, Hawaii, Alaska, Massachusetts. Federal incompact applies across the board. Different people have different exemptions and they have different deductions, and so there are ways in which certain people are able to minimize their taxes legally within the confines of the Internal Revenue CALLDE. But if you you're a pro athlete, and let's say whatever your sport is, they say, well, we're going to give you would like to give you a one hundred million dollar contract five years for twenty million dollars. That's not an exceptional contract anymore in professional sports Baseball, football, Maybe it's an exceptional in hockey, which is probably across the board the lowest paid.
Speaker 3: But those.
Speaker 2: Those salaries in the NHL are going up as well, certainly the NBA. So you will have to pay your federal income tax as everyone would. You might have deductions, maybe you make more charitable deductions.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 2: However, However, if you live in Massachusetts and you're going to pay the full tax in Massachusetts, you're going to pay five percent in the first.
Speaker 3: Million and then nine percent on the other million.
Speaker 2: So in this case, you'd be paying an additional fourteen additional four percent above and beyond the the the flat five rate, which means, when you think about it, you're gonna pay a lot of money. I mean a lot of money, uh, to Massachusetts. If you were to, let's say, play for a team in Tennessee, whether it's the Tennessee Titans, or play for a team in Nevada, the now the Las Vegas Raiders, or a team in Florida, the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 3: They are in Texas. They don't have state income Texas.
Speaker 2: So Bill Belichick brought that to everyone's attention. Rob play for me if you would, Bill Belichick, it's cut number thirteen yesterday on this podcast.
Speaker 3: What's that millionaire's tax about? It's strictly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Taxachusetts. Yeah, so virtually every player, even a practice squad well not, but even the minimum players are are pretty close to a million dollars. And so one you hit that million dollar threshold, then then you pay more state tax in Massachusetts. So yeah, just another thing you got to contend with the negotiations up there. It's not like Tennessee or you know, Florida or Nevada or some of these teams that have no state income tax. So you get, you know, you get, you get hit pretty hard on that. You know, with the agents, they'll they'll come and sledge hire me you down about you know, texattacks they're paying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that's a factor. And as we go through, we had some great championship season, six super Bowls with the Patriots. We're all rooting for the Patriots, we root for all the Boston teams. And the Celtics may have a pretty big payroll. They do, so they apparently are not impacted as much by that. But if you're a Patriots fan and you're going to be checking out to Gillette Stadium and you are upset that maybe the Patriots draft choice, they can hold a draft choice for I think it's whatever it is six years before they then can achieve free agency same way in baseball. I mean the Red Sox, they they weren't able to They signed the free agents this year, but they didn't have any of what they call the premier free agents. And you have to wonder does that millionaire's tax impact Now, maybe it doesn't, I don't know, Maybe you don't care. But if we are a big we're a state of big sports fans, and this is a secondary impact of that millionaire's tax. There's a lot of people that are leaving Massachusetts. And the people who are leaving Massachusetts are the ones who have contributed. According to the article in the Boston Herald, taxpayers are fleeing Massachusetts at a rate that cost the state roughly three point nine billion dollars two. So you want to have a healthy state, and you want to have a state that obviously attracts people, not a state that basically says to people who are going to make a lot of money, you really don't want to come here and have an option. And if you're a young athlete who may have a I don't know, an earning potential for four or five years or at most seven or eight, you want to make the money and you want to be able to bank as much of the money as you can, because that might be and in most cases it probably will be the greatest earning power that you will ever have.
Speaker 3: So I'd like.
Speaker 2: To just throw out whatever you want to talk about. I'd love to talk about this, because I did raise this at the time. I was opposed to the passage of the millionaire's tax because I think that short term, yeah, it will help short term, but long term, I think it is very very nearsighted, and long term it's going to call more problems. And immediately you're seeing it with the sports teams and you watch you see where the most the most highly compensated free agents in all the major sports end up. The Celtics have been lucky, they have drafted well and they have put together a championship team. How long will that team be able to stay together as well as a factor six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine, three one ten thirty. It's interesting. Bill Belichick called it out, and I hope it's always tough to explain numbers on radio, because first of all, you can't see the numbers. I hope I've done a good job or an adequate job explaining the numbers. If I have and you agree or disagree, and you think we should nail those athletes, those multimillion dollar athletes, nail them for as much money as we can, feel free to join the conversation. I don't think that's fair, but maybe you're going to disagree. Maybe if you agree, I'd love to hear from me as well. Back on Night's side right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Night Side Studios on w b Z, the news radio.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the phones again.
Speaker 2: I think that you know a lot of people if the Patriots don't have a great season this year, and I think that that is a pretty good possibility, a transition year. They've drafted their the people they want to draft. But you always have to have some free agents, and sometimes you need really good free agents. And I'm not sure that the Patriots at this point are are blessed with some great free agent signings. I don't know, frankly one free agent signing. And I would also mention when Tom Brady decided to leave Gillette Stadium and the Patriots, remember with State, he ended up playing football and then winning his seventh Super Bowl Tampa Bay, Florida. No state income tax that might have been a factor in his consideration as well.
Speaker 3: Let me go to Will in Long Island.
Speaker 2: Hey Will, thanks for getting this going here on the eleven o'clock hour.
Speaker 3: How are you tonight?
Speaker 1: Hey Dan?
Speaker 5: You know I'm not as concerned with the sports aspect of it, although I can obviously see if I were going to sign a twenty million dollar contract. Let's break down the numbers quickly. Okay, how much is going to my agent? Probably ten percent. Let's not forget my lawyers. Let's not forget my accountants. Let's not forget all of these people that I pay before I see a nicol. Let's not forget my thirty something percent federal income tax that I have to pay. Now you're telling me on top of that, after every million I made, I already gave five percent to State of Massachusetts on top of my state tax. This is my million are tax? Now I have to give them another nine percent?
Speaker 3: No, I go out. Well, let me make it clear. You got it five percent.
Speaker 5: On there on the second million from.
Speaker 2: One million in one dollar, the state tax goes right nine percent, So you write it now paid five percent. The extra is the extra four percent.
Speaker 5: I'm extra four percent over up to nine percent. I'm the next nineteen million yes, sir, okay, if I have a twenty million dollar contract. Okay, now you put all those other numbers into there, you know, with everybody else that I'm paying. So I'm going to go out. I'm going to work this hard to become the best in the world. That what I want to do. And on top of all these other people and the country I have to pay. You're telling me I have to pay Massachusetts nine more percent. And by the way, when something goes up nine percent or down nine percent, that is a significant amount of money to me, to you, and to everyone else. Okay. If our GDP fell nine percent tomorrow, the country would crash. Okay, nine percent is huge on your bottom line. It's not like, oh, well, they're millionaires, they can afford it. It doesn't work that way.
Speaker 3: I just did the numbers.
Speaker 2: So that extra, that extra four percent, okay, on the nineteen million dollar is in a hypothetical twenty million dollar player. That means that that player above and beyond what they would have played if they you know, we're here five years ago or ten years ago, they will pay an extra seven hundred and sixty thousand dollars for the privilege of playing in New England. Now, if you if you knock that all off and you say, you know, the twenty million dollars, uh, and you're talking about the five percent okay, which of course is another figure here.
Speaker 5: In MASSATONI A million.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's going to be well right, So.
Speaker 1: Here's here's the bottom line.
Speaker 5: Okay, here's the bottom line. Let's take it out of the context to athletes because you can, you know.
Speaker 3: Let me just let me just give it to your question.
Speaker 2: That means a pro football player makes twenty million dollars in Massachusetts is going to pay one million, seven hundred and sixty thousand dollars in Massachusetts.
Speaker 5: Not you mentioned that three six million that he's going to pay the federal government and everyone else that he's going to pay.
Speaker 2: Compare that, to compare that to what he would play if he signed a contract with the Miami Dolphins, the Dallas Cowboys, the Tennessee Titles, lost, the Las Vegas Raiders, he would pay nothing. So therefore, if I'm the agent, I'm going to say, and by the way, if we're talking like a five year contract, here twenty million dollars, which is not uncommon.
Speaker 3: One hundred million dollar contract, which is very racial.
Speaker 2: That's going to cost him close to close to eight million dollars down the drain.
Speaker 5: So let's now for your listeners, because I'm really you know, I'm month into economics and socialism versus capitalism and all the pitfalls of socialism that people try to gussie up and make it seem like it would be great for this country. Now, let's put into into, you know, a real life scenario for your listeners. Let's take it off sports for a second, because there's going to be a lot of people below. I screw these athletes to make too much money anyway. Now right now, let's call it world renowned heart surgeons in Massachusetts. Now let's call it contractors and builders and people that build homes. You have a mass exodus of taxpayers, but you have a mass influx of people that don't pay taxes and live off your system. That is a recipe for bankruptcy. I live in a state that is about to do that. California is a perfect example of that. The third largest GDP in the world had a surplus under a Republican Ish governor okay, and now they're on the brink of financial collapse. This is how you take a well run economy and destroy it. See, people don't understand. They think the athlete. Now Bill Belichick brought up, think about the best doctors in the world not wanting to come to Massachusetts anymore. Think about the best contractors and builders and the greatest minds in the world don't want to come to your state because you've driven them out. Now, let's extrapolate that into the country. Because wealthy people are not citizens of the United States. They're citizens of the world. And you drive them out of this nation to other nations, they leave with their wealth, the same way the United States attracted all that wealth from European countries that were doing the same thing. You are driving them out of here. One last thing before I go. I live in New York. I'm driving out to Pennsylvania this last weekend. I'm the guy that puts money in every cup at this I'm just that guy. If I go to foreign countries, I got bills flying out of my pocket all over the place to all the kids that are hungry. And so I just am that person. So I'm driving by and there's a guy walking down the middle of the Parkway, and I'm pull over to put money in this cup, and I'm looking at all the New Yorkers drive by him, all these people that could give a good money directly to him, all these liberals, supposedly, all these left wing people that just pass them by. The guy's crippled and everything, veteran signs, everything, he's just passing by. Let me explain something to you Democrats. Okay, it is neither virtuous nor noble to give away other people's money. Okay, live by example. Thanks Dan, you gut it.
Speaker 3: Will Greyclaw is always there's no doubt.
Speaker 2: But let me go to Matt a little closer to home and brighton Matt your thoughts.
Speaker 3: I know you're a sports guy.
Speaker 6: Thank you, and then hell it done.
Speaker 2: I think I'm doing great. Will's a tough act to follow. Men, he was good tonight.
Speaker 3: Go right ahead.
Speaker 6: Oh, I mean, he's a good act to follow. But you know, you know what, then, facts and numbers speak, volumes and statistics. Let me let me say something that you and I probably both know, the Rule five draft. The MLB works on a Rule five draft system, where essentially, if you are not signed outside of the top. Okay, I've cut it down twenty rounds recently. In the MLB draft. I'm sure you know, it used to be forty rounds where people were signing in the thousands, in the thousands, not of only dollars, but in the thousands of numbers.
Speaker 7: They had to cut it down.
Speaker 6: So these guys in real five drafts are now getting signed by teams like the Reds off that. I'll name you a couple guys. Garrett Whitlock no longer with them at the time that this happened, but he with the Yankees, he was some guys named Ben Ruda, some guys named Yaoyaki. Some of these guys who are young, talented guys, they're forced to be with a team for five years. And now when you want to look at where do those five years pan out for these guys? For these guys I work in baseball, I know these guys I know from I know some of these guys in saybe sixteen, coming over, you know, from a foreign country, and they come over with one hundred thousand dollars contract an agent and that wants to not all, but that wants to use them, and they have to perform and that's and the low end decide a thing, and that is what they have to live off of. So when we talk football, and we talked fifth round picks and we talk things like that, and you see a guy like another, you know, Tom Brady in the making, where you get somebody in the sixth round who's going to be, you know, a diamond in the rough. It really I couldn't disagree more with him. I'm all about capitalism to his numbers are just not accurate. What he's saying is not accurate. If you look at Brian Bellow, he said.
Speaker 2: Who's saying. I'm confused by what you're saying? He had this way? Who is who you saying is not accurate? Belichick or or Will from Long.
Speaker 6: Island the guy on the phone before you know.
Speaker 2: He's accurate, he's we're not talking about Let me please follow what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Uh, I understand.
Speaker 2: I understand the Rule five draft in Major League Baseball. What that allows teams to do is to cherry pick other rosters when somebody is not protected, and and sometimes you can pick up a diamond in the rough and that guy comes over to your team and gets paid probably the major.
Speaker 3: League minimum Okay.
Speaker 2: What I'm talking about is when the Red Sox say, you know, we need an ace, we need a top line pitcher who we're going to have to pay twenty million dollars or more over a period of four or five years to get him to sign with us. I'm talking about you know, you know the type.
Speaker 6: Of pictures, and I know what you're saying.
Speaker 7: Look at Brian Bellow.
Speaker 2: Look at Brian Bellow's fine, that's fine, that's fine.
Speaker 6: So my point to me, you.
Speaker 3: Can find, you can find players. Don't get me wrong. You can find.
Speaker 6: You can find guys, but you're forced to keep them for five years.
Speaker 2: When that well anything else, when you when you sign a guy and you draft him, there you they're they're in effect restricted. They can't gain their independence, they can't gain free agency status until they have so much major league time. And sometimes the major leagues play with these guys. The kid who was the third basement for the Cubs, they he was ready to play a few years ago, beginning on opening Day, they kept him down for two weeks so they could get that an extra year of him as a as a member of their organization. I'm trying to think of the kid Uh, he's a great player. Yeah, to keep them away from free agency because the number of years.
Speaker 3: That's not what we're saying. What I'm saying is this.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you, as a as a Boston sports team, want to sign some top free agent in whatever the sport is, let's say, let's say football, name me one player, marquee player that the Patriots have signed this year as a free a not someone who was drafted. You draft the guy they got to sign with you, or they can they can, they can go home and become a high school teacher. So they didn't sign anybody. And I think part of that, which Belichick is saying, is that it's tough because because if you're going to sign a big twenty million dollar contract, and you have a choice of signing that same contract, the exact same contract with Tennessee, with a team in Florida, a team in Las Vegas, a team in Texas, they don't have state income Texas down there. So your twenty million dollar contract, same amount of money is a much greater value to you if you play in Florida, Tennessee, Texas, or Nevada, then you play than if you play in New England, that's what we're saying.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I hear what you're saying. My comparison was much more to the baseball side. I book at football, I book at hockey. Even though you still get paid your money, but you know when it's getting done and you look and you have five six years bumping around the league and you know you can't make it. Your five six years out of the league and you need to find a new job. And I feel for it for some of these guys because it is not just you know, Rodney's.
Speaker 3: Interesting, but that's not what we're talking about. What we're doing about that.
Speaker 2: I understand that the Red Sox, when the Red Sox try to go out and find an ace a number one starter. Okay, I'm not talking about you know, a James Patt.
Speaker 6: I know what you're saying, and I'm not trying to argue with you here, but it's a different fundamental for football. My argument would be, if you're going out and looking for a running back or somebody who's a lineman or someone who you going to give ten million dollars to on you know, the field and whatever, they'll take, that it is different than looking for an ace in baseball. It is where you're looking.
Speaker 3: And what I don't care.
Speaker 2: Whether you Matt, Matt, I don't care whether you're looking for an ace in baseball or an as in football. If you got somebody who's who's a high caliber player and you want to bring somebody in who's a difference maker, okay, in football, baseball or whatever, and you're going to pay him the big bucks, you know that they're they're you know, look at Otani out in Los Angeles. Seven hundred million dollars. I'm not even talking about Otani.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about it.
Speaker 2: A really good player, one hundred million, five five year contract, one hundred million dollars, given a choice between playing here or with the Tapa Bay Rays. Uh, those players are going to say, I can play in Florida, and I can. I can get the same contract, but I get more money. That's all I'm trying to say, Matt, I got a run on this track.
Speaker 8: I'll leave it on this spot.
Speaker 6: Very quick. Otani did two things. They were very smart. Otani deferred his contract to take only two million dollars, so he could save that very team player all the way by doing that. And when you see some of the things message.
Speaker 3: That's not my argument, that's.
Speaker 9: Not myan is going to have trouble because when Bretani tries to take the money that he's that he's put away and deferred, and he goes home to Japan to try to collect that money, California.
Speaker 3: Is still going to come after in for the taxes.
Speaker 2: California is still going to come after for the taxes. You're talking sports, I'm talking sports, and I.
Speaker 7: Think we're okay.
Speaker 6: I think we got in crossheads exactly. But my point is you can get good money getting that Roll five draft, and you got.
Speaker 3: That's that's irrelevant to what we're talking about.
Speaker 9: You're talking about something which I understand just as well as you.
Speaker 8: You can you can pick up a.
Speaker 2: Great player in the roof Rule five draft because the other team, and it's we can cite examples. We can both cite examples. But that's the exception. You're going in and you're buying a bargain basement player. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about when you when you say to yourself, we got to go out and get a number one starter. We got to get out that. We gotta find the current day Roger Clemens. We got to find the Yankee sign Garrett Cole. If we're going to try and try to sign somebody who is at the top of their game and paid top money, we are at a disadvantage in Massachusetts because of the millionaire's tax. Simple as that rule. Five players are gonna come and make minimum for a couple of years five seventy five to eighty five ninety.
Speaker 3: They're not affected. Gotta run, man, thank you, gotta go.
Speaker 6: All right, thanks, all right.
Speaker 2: If you understand what I'm talking about, great, If you don't, that's okay. Six one, seven, four thirty. Belichick nailed it. Okay, Belichick, who for many many years was always a sphinx.
Speaker 3: At these news conferences. And what happened? Bill?
Speaker 2: We lost? Well, why'd you lose? They scored more points than us. He nailed it on this issue. Joined the conversation six one, seven, nine ten thirty. Back on Night's Side. Maybe you guys don't get it. If you don't get it, fine, don't call. If you get it, give me a call.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: That decision will be announced tomorrow. Let me go next to Matthew in Pembroke Matthew, thanks for calling in. How are you tonight?
Speaker 7: Welcome great Dan. I always love to hear your voice on my write home from work.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 7: I just got on the air a little while ago. You're talking about the death tax, correct.
Speaker 2: No, No, we're talking about the state income tax. The death tax is another matter. Massachusetts has a death tax, a state tax, and there are some states that don't have that. No, what we're talking about here is the so called millionaires tax that we improved on a ballot initiative I think by fifty two to forty eight percent in twenty twenty two, and Bill Belichick talked about on an ESPN podcast, And also there was a story in the Herald today sure which talked about, look, if you're signing a free agent player, you know, if you draft someone, it's all structured in the NFL where the first choice first round guys are going to get so much second round, et cetera. That with the millionaires tax. We used to have a flat tax, so everybody paid five percent. Well that's bad enough. But when you have the millionaires tax and some players are going to sign a contract, say for you know, some superstar, we're going to grab some superstar for twenty years, for twenty million for five years, that's one hundred million dollars. And when you then say, okay, after the million, after your million dollars, which we get you for five percent the ballance of your contract, that nineteen million dollars, you're going to pay nine percent. Sure. Now, if you're that player and I'm your agent, I'm going to say to okay, we got two offers in the table. Tennessee wants to pay you this same amount of money as New England. Tennessee doesn't have a state income tax. If you sign with New England, you're going to pay the state of Massachusetts about one point seven million dollars that you would not pay Tennessee. You would not pay the Miami Dolphins would pay Tampa Bay Buccaneers. It was interesting when Brady left the Patriots, he went to a no state income tax state and playing show off at Tampa Bay. So the millionaires tax is not only going to cost US people fleeing, wealthy people fleeing Massachusetts, but there's gonna be a lot of great athletes who would love to see play for the Patriots or the Red Sox or the Celtics or the Bruins.
Speaker 3: They're going to say thanks, but no thanks. That's the point I'm.
Speaker 7: Trying to make sure. And on top of that, you're taxed upon tax I mean, you go to the grocery store, you don't get text, but if you go out to McDonald's, you get taxed. You guess you get taxed, and by the time you get done, there's not much left. I don't know how these people in life do it well.
Speaker 3: I can always say that this.
Speaker 2: Just remember that in Massachusetts they only tax two things, everything that moves and anything that doesn't move.
Speaker 7: They were only really well tonight, I appreciate it. I just want to mention that time every time you turn around your tax you know, no matter what you do, six and a half percent sales tax on top of them what you've already paid for taxes.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely, And what it comes down to is people like you who work for living.
Speaker 3: Every day you get up, you go to work. It's tough.
Speaker 2: It's tough, and there's still people out there who never work and they're the ones who are living off the public dole. And now we have an influx of folks coming into the state who have nothing they're migrants, and I noticed one of the stories today they're now just hanging out.
Speaker 3: We don't have room for them.
Speaker 2: But we we said to them all, we're a welcoming state and we have a right to shelter the law. We didn't amend that law. And now these poor souls are sleeping outdoors at night, which is okay. I guess in August, I don't want to be sleeping on doors at night at the Quincy MBTA station, you know.
Speaker 7: I mean, yeah, So this is the first year I'm going to actually make a really a lot of money, and I'm very grateful I have a job. It worked sixty four hours a week to do it, though, you know, and it's a lot. I have to drive to Boston every day and drive home. It takes quite a bit of time. But anyhow, now I'm going to make one hundred and forty thousand dollars this year. And guess what I paid last year. I was near there. I paid over thirty thousand and tax federal tax. And now I make too much money. I can't even have forty thousand. You're not allowed to put money into a rough ira.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they get your gain. By the way, I drove into Boston today and it took me about an hour just to get from Somerville down to Dorchester if I had to make that commute, and that was two thirty in the afternoon. I and by the way, you know this, I didn't see there was no accident, So it was just the way the roads are constructed.
Speaker 3: Did the big dig for twenty billion.
Speaker 2: Dollars, and traffic still is horrible to transit through mass through downtown Boston.
Speaker 7: I know, I don't want to keep y'all. Let you go, Thanks Dan, Thanks me.
Speaker 3: I appreciated Matthew.
Speaker 2: If I was doing this every day, I think I would just I would give it up. I would give it up. Thanks Matthew. Okay, let me get one more in here. I'm going to try real quickly before we got to go to break. Tanya in Boston, Hi, Tanya, welcome back.
Speaker 7: How are you good?
Speaker 3: Are you? I'm doing great? Tell me do you do you understand and do you agree with the sentiments expressed by coach Belichick.
Speaker 10: I didn't hear what he said specifically, but I when you were seated it, I understand what you're saying, and I understand where he's coming from because I mean, we're in the state of Taxachusetts, so you know, unless we've got something way over the top over here that's going to attract you players to want to say, oh yeah, here take another nine percent on top of everything else, or another additional four percent, it doesn't make any sense. But where I do think is becoming a bigger problem is if you start depleting the level of good team players coming in that are strong and they can win, then you're going to have people not going to the games and you're not going to be bringing in more money. So at the end of the day, it is my understanding that if you're not filling those seats at the stadiums and people aren't participating in the sport overall with everybody, then the state's going to lose more money overall at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: Absolutely why And.
Speaker 10: I almost feel like like this is almost like a punitive tax for being a good player.
Speaker 2: Well, it is here, But the good news for the player is that he could say, Hey, I'm going to play for the Dallas Cowboys. I'm going to play for the Vegas Say the Las Vegas Raiders are going to go play for the Dolphins, are gonna go play for the Buccaneers. There's a bunch of states that don't even have a state income tax, so those teams over time are going to be advantaged. And I think what Belichick was talking about from the frustrations of being a coach. You know, you're trying to win, uh for your owner, and you're trying to win for your team and for your job, and the tax structure in Massachusetts. Finally, finally, one of the leading you know, professional coaches has has said, hey, look, you know this is going to hurt hurt our team over time. And but you know, so all the all the Patriots fans out there realize that it's going to be a long time before the Patriots are competing in a Super Bowl.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I agree, because the other thing, like from a player's standpoint, they got to come out here. We got a weather issue. You know, it's not as bad as Buffalo. I grew up in Buffalo.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, I got you. Yeah, oh sure, yeah.
Speaker 7: And it's tougher to play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the cold and the snow in December. But also, look, maybe the Patriots might decide they're going to move to New Hampshire. They are the New England Patriots, you know, maybe who knows?
Speaker 3: Who knows.
Speaker 2: I just think it's interesting that Belichick finally spoken up. Daniel I got you before the break, but I got a scoot, so I'm gonna let.
Speaker 3: You run for now.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for Colin for being a listener and calling this program. I really appreciate your loyalty.
Speaker 10: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 2: All Right, we get back. I got Danielle, I got Christine, and I got pegged. The ladies are run to rule the roost here right after the break.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get back to the call. It's got my pal Danielle out a wooster. Danielle, I'd love to know what you think about this. You're a sports fan too, hey, but.
Speaker 10: I don't want you.
Speaker 11: You know, the taxes are always.
Speaker 8: Interesting to me.
Speaker 11: I always, especially when I compare things to New England states. You know, we've been trump no pun intended, they're trumps, the tax achusets, you know, and everything else. But the states that about us, mostly specifically Connecticut and New Hampshire, are very guilty of a lot of other taxes that blow us or out.
Speaker 1: Of the water.
Speaker 11: New Hampshire's property taxes are probably like the third or fourth highest in the country. So although they don't pay income tax, you've got a really nice state that you're living on. Let's take Tom Brady's mega mansion in Florida and plumb get in New Hampshire. Let's just see how much that's gonna cost into living there.
Speaker 10: So I think that nothing is free.
Speaker 11: We all know that that that you're going to get it somewhere else. So I think that rather than focus on, you know, what you're not going to get, let's focus what you are getting. And these guys don't necessarily have to the residents of Massachusetts, right, So doesn't it go by you can hear me, right, No, no, no no.
Speaker 2: If you play for the New England Patriots, if you play for the New England Patriots, or you play for the Boston Red Sox, you will be taxed as an employee of the New England Patriots.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like someone living up in New Hampshire who drives across the state line every day and works in Thethuan.
Speaker 3: They pay Massachusetts state income tax.
Speaker 7: If they're because they live here.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, they live in New Hampshire and they work in and they work as a whatever, you know, a software engineer.
Speaker 8: And then make some kind of a split though. No, no, because.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Live in New Hampshire, you work in Massachusetts, you pay Massachusetts taxes, Danielle, I hate to do this year.
Speaker 3: I got two more.
Speaker 11: It's fine, But I'm just saying, like sales tax, youth tax, excise some of these states.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Massachusetts is still Massachusetts is taxachuss. It's called Taxachusets for a reason. Okay, trust me when you break the numbers down, and I've done it many times, it's a very expensive to state from taxes to live in.
Speaker 3: Simple as that. And we don't get much. But will we do? By the way, try the roads. Go go to New Hampshire. See how good the roads are up there compared to here. I got a scoop. I gotta scoop.
Speaker 2: We'll talk show, all right. Let me go real quickly, Christina, got you in peg. I want to give you both a chance.
Speaker 8: Go ahead, Christine, Okay, I agree with what you're saying.
Speaker 10: Dan.
Speaker 7: I agree, yeah very much.
Speaker 8: It's crazy, Like I just I don't understand it all. I really don't.
Speaker 2: They basically want to penalize success, and they want to penalize the people who are successful, and the people who are successful of the people that that go to restaurants, that that that buy things, that employ other people in Massachusetts, if you're successful, you will be penalized.
Speaker 10: It's absolutely crazy.
Speaker 2: Totally with you, Totally with you, Christine. Thanks for being sixtinct for me here because I want to get Peg in for a second. Two Okay, Okay, have a good night, a good day later on.
Speaker 3: I hope so, I hope so PEG is in Pepperal, Peg, you're going to wrap it up for us.
Speaker 8: Go ahead, Peg, Hi, Dan, you know, I understand numbers better than I understand sports, and your call from New York hit it right on the button. And one thing to add to his conversation was it just shows the money that's being spent from Massachusetts, what poor management we have had financially over the last I don't know, twenty years, thirty.
Speaker 3: Years, got it, you know, Republicans and Democrats.
Speaker 8: Peg, Absolutely, this state is becoming, you know, and I live in the border of New Hampshire and the roads are better, by the.
Speaker 5: Way a question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they have worse weather than we do peg, I got to run. I'm flat out of time. Called sooner and we'll do more time. Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Done for the night, everybody. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Rob, thank you very much, Marita, thank you everybody. I'll be doing night side Facebook, nightside postgame on Facebook. I will tell you once again on dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's my pal Charlie Rais, who passed fourteen years ago on February. It's all your pets are past. They love you, you love them. I do believe you'll see him again. See you again tomorrow night. Have a great Thursday, everyone,