Speaker 1: Unsolved mysteries. To white men who have lived all their lives in Africa. The feats performed by the witch doctors are beyond understanding, but anyone who has lived in Africa knows them to be true, whereas those who have not lived in Africa dismissed these phenomena by saying I don't believe it. The mere saying I don't believe it does not, however, dispose of the proven fact.
Speaker 2: M But the day of.
Speaker 3: The first past.
Speaker 1: From both banks of the Kalibar River in West Africa, the dense jungle stretches forward into tomorrow and backward into yesterday. A soggy, muggy fog rises perpetually from the dank moss. And in the midst of this nature's primal setting, Harry Hockey, an ivory trader, has made his home an old hulk of a boat with masts cut away and superstructure remodeled floats on the Kalibar River, and this is Harry home. Tonight, the Ivory trader is entertaining a safari bound for the Gold Coast Natives, glistening black in the moonlight, carry away the empty dinner dishes as the guests with Harry in their midst settled down to coffee and cigar, and U says, you have a very comfortable home herend the river. Oh yeah, uh, this all hurt has been my trading post or home combined for the best part of sixty years.
Speaker 2: You do you have belong to your native country hair hockey Ooh. Once in a long, long.
Speaker 4: While, perhaps I think of it her, But this Africa is in my blood. Take me away from it, will I would die. There's something about it that gets you. Sometimes you do think it's the jungle, and then you think it's the natives. Then you say to yourself, perhaps it's the witch doctor soon their magic, and then you sum it all.
Speaker 1: Up and decide that it's Africa. You mentioned which doctor there are? Ye tell me, honestly, there's no time out here.
Speaker 4: Do they do half the things they're credited with? Your Captain Parklay they do. I could keep you up all night with stories of.
Speaker 2: Their black magic.
Speaker 4: I could make your blood run cold telling you of some of the things I have seen with my own eyes. But we shan't call it black magic, because often as not, what they do is as white as any white man's medicine.
Speaker 2: What do you mean by that hair hacket?
Speaker 4: I owe my life to black magic, so called you do, let's hear about it. I know a lot about this Africa now, but when I first come out here, I knew nothing nothing. I laughed at witch doctors, I pooh poohed black magic. I why I was a white man, and what did these poor black heavens know? Anyhow, I was out on the trail of a load of ivory, six weeks away from whom.
Speaker 2: I was when I went down with fever. I'm spoken our. When Fritz Hoffmann were with me. I remember it.
Speaker 4: Was night and the lions they were out on the prowl whom the jungle was uneasy because we white men.
Speaker 2: Had evaded it. Hed that be my cant night, Harriot. Maybe so it is harm Oh, I am tired. I think I have the fever here.
Speaker 1: It is the fever that you have, Harry, that it Isn't you take the fine my yaya tricks.
Speaker 5: Order the boys to make a fire. We can camp here, and when they have the baggage laid out, I will find the crying.
Speaker 2: I don't take it. Of all they might vomit here.
Speaker 4: This number one place born up for make camp. You pick them number one. Wanna I get them boys picking Boma?
Speaker 2: Yeah that is a good cooler here, Harry, at that? How you lie down here? I thank you. Finish. It's the climbin, Harry, in.
Speaker 5: The package with the yellow waterproof covering, in this enameled box. Harry, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you perished the one. Now it's a white paper package.
Speaker 4: A package here, looking Harry, nine on here what the other pails gave us?
Speaker 2: Look? It must be there, it must be there.
Speaker 1: Radically, the two men tear open the bails lying on the ground. The native carriers draw.
Speaker 2: Back into the shadows as they see.
Speaker 1: The look of despair on Harry's face, the looks of anguish on the faces of his two friends.
Speaker 2: Again and again.
Speaker 1: They searched the bales, but the light saving finine is not to be found.
Speaker 4: Didn't play. The two friends seat themselves beside Harry. The natives draw further into the deeper shadows. Even the jungle beasts, sensing the approach of death, draw off into the dense underbrush, leaving the three white men to their faces. Fritz here's a step behind him, and looks up to see cooler the number one boy is standing looking down at him. White man medicine no gotten.
Speaker 2: Nine cooler, white man medicine, No God.
Speaker 4: Harry Bonner die, white man medicine, No can find quiet cooler.
Speaker 5: Yeah here, Fritz, you're cooler, Harry boarder die. Oh you take Harry Barner back to live a home.
Speaker 2: You will leave me here, Sherry, Yeah, he'll take you back there.
Speaker 4: White man believe black man medicine. Erry wanna no die, that's just got cooler Harry Bonner and Bonner frit wanna believe black man witch doctor. Then Harry Warner, no die.
Speaker 1: Me, Fritz believe anything, gives anything everything.
Speaker 2: If Harry buanna call me, I do the same thing.
Speaker 4: Cooler he speak, witch doctor, this white man medicine. Where you leave him?
Speaker 2: Can you hear Harry there? Did you leave the cine? It must be on the desk in my room? I remember now, I.
Speaker 3: Forgot to park here here.
Speaker 4: Never mind that. Now Harry quine quinine, that white man medicine. Yah kula, witch doctor man, he gets him a cooler. It is six weeks journey back of the river. Even the fastest runner could not do it in less.
Speaker 2: Than five we go now, sneak witch doctor.
Speaker 4: If witch doctors say yes you no speak, no say one word?
Speaker 2: You sit you look see.
Speaker 4: All right, but no sneak, no move, yeah, yeah, cooler anything but you say, Kula moves.
Speaker 1: Into the shadows.
Speaker 2: The seconds creep by like ours.
Speaker 1: Each man hears the beating of his own heart, and each man is afraid to look at his friend. Fritz draws a deep, hissing breath as the witch doctor, an old man hideous.
Speaker 2: To look at, comes into the rim of the firelight with.
Speaker 1: A sharpened twig. The witch doctor draws a crude circle on the ground. Then he gazes fix at me it Harry lying before him in semisuba. Now the witch Doctor lies down in the circle, and Kula, bending over him, ties his hands and feet. Slowly, the native carriers, men and women come into the ruddy globe of the firelight, and slowly they begin to circle the witch doctor. The drums begin to throb softly at first, then as the stating of bare feet becomes more vigorous, the circling more rapid. The drum props become a frenzied feet.
Speaker 4: One by one, the natives fall exhausted to the ground. The long light drags on.
Speaker 1: The pale light of day breaks over the tree tops and through the branches. One single ray of light falls on the witch doctor's feet.
Speaker 2: Half has a rich look. Look at the witch doctor's feet of wise package, gott In Himmel the package, not Harry left it all? How you have Fritz if Fight, Heckage, Fitch, look mine. I'm good, lord, dearie. I can hardly believe it. I can. Your story was so real myself. I was actually there sitting beside in the jungle. I saw it all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I am an old man now, But I have not forgotten that night. I should think you wouldn't. It must have been horrible, your captain Parklay. But you see now why I say that black magic saved my life?
Speaker 2: But how do you account for it?
Speaker 4: How do you explain the transporting of that quinine over six weeks distance?
Speaker 2: In what I cannot be served?
Speaker 4: And of course I have tried to explain it to myself. An the period explanation very well. I will put excuse me a moment. I am forgetting. I must see that.
Speaker 2: The guards are posted.
Speaker 1: While here, Hearty says to the posting of the guards, your sponsor has a word for you. After that you will hear an explanation inasmuch as all.
Speaker 2: The characters of our story are long since dead.
Speaker 1: In bringing them back to life, the dramatized solution of this mystery must have necessity taken considerable liberties with time, Ladies and gentlemen, the solution for.
Speaker 2: What you have been waiting to begin with.
Speaker 4: I should explain that I have done a great deal of reading in order to find the scientific explanation of some of the things achieved by the witch doctors Hockey Will Sir cher Ands Frasiers Golden Gold, White One Black Magic by doctor Hartman, Roaring Bones, that.
Speaker 2: Frig withstovin Sweden.
Speaker 4: The yah seems to me that he says something about a rifle being transported.
Speaker 2: Over a great distance in the short space of time. Yeah, that is right.
Speaker 4: When he speaks of one of the obi who transported himself from the hinterland to a coast in the night every time he wanted to count his money back at the trading post.
Speaker 2: You understand, thoughts.
Speaker 4: Can go to any locality, no matter how far, because all locality is within the sphere of the mind. That is reasonable under ordinary circumstances. Even though thoughts are sent out into the realm of mind, actual consciousness remains with the body. You mean, then there is only one more step to send you in herself, so to speak, on a journey, so that you'll be aware of everything you've seen or heard and can remember it when you return to ordinary consciousness.
Speaker 2: Yah yah, that is it, won't you see? The witch doctor, which fret soon.
Speaker 4: Hunts on the native boys, all concentrating on bringing the quinine who save me, made.
Speaker 2: It possible for the witch doctors at through a.
Speaker 4: Body, although I do not like that word, but it made it possible for him to travel back to the trading post when returned with the Klinid. That's the fact, of course, that the witch doctor has been practicing that very thing for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you are right.
Speaker 4: People forget to credit to other people the ability to do things that they themselves cannot do.
Speaker 2: Just as some.
Speaker 4: People are inclined to think of the witch doctors as fakes. Well, I'll admit that after your story tonight, I'll never think of a witch doctor as a fake again.
Speaker 3: It doesn't be the trusts att