Speaker 1: Absolutely amazing to have you joined us here on Truth Time with doctor Cornell West and Nina Turner. As you know, we always counted all joy to be together with you in moments like this. This is our teaching Thursday and on today we are discussing the life and the legacy the imprint of the one and only Lorraine Handsbury. And I know every time Doc and I do a teacher in Thursday where we're talking about an individual, it is always the one and only, because really they are the one and only there at the top of their game, top of their class, they made they left an indelible mark on this world. And there's a cloud of witnesses for people like this, and Lorraine Handsbury is right in there now. She wrote a Raisin in the Sun, a play about a struggling black family, and this is how she came into prominence. I think she was the youngest and the first black black woman or just black person. Doc, I forget the distinction to win the prestigious New York Critics Circle Award, which was really a big deal. But Raising in the Sun is not her only work, but it is the work that she is best known for, and it's about a struggling black family which opened and that opened on Broadway, which was all the rage. Even today, Raising in the Sun is still quite a classic Sidney Poitier played, Yeah, yeah, yeah. If you have not seen The Raisin in the Sun or and or read read the book, you definitely need to do it. She's the granddaughter of freed enslaved person, the youngest by seven years of four children. Lorraine Vivie and Hansbury was born on May nineteen, That's also Minister Malcolm X's birthday. To doc, she was born on May nineteen, nineteen thirty, and she left this plane of existence on January of twelve, nineteen sixty five. She was born in Shottown and she died in New York. So I'm setting that up for you. I'm setting that layup for you. Lorraine Hansbury.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you're absolutely right. There's simply nobody like her. But it's important to keep in mind that she writes against the backdrop of a great black literary tradition. One there's no literary tradition in the modern world which has been initiated by women and every genre other than the Black literary tradition in the United States. You got Phyllis Wheatley and Pope got here At Jacobs in the novel You Got, ant Latold's first collection of essays, You Got Marie Evans, the first public speaker. And Lorraine Hansbury, of course takes the play to the highest level in the saying which same way in which Tony Morrison takes it to the highest level, the same way in which the first wave of blues artists at the highest level of mul Rainey and Bessie Smith. So that we brothers, you know, we've done some magnificent things, but we are part of a tradition that has been dominated both as pioneers and as culminating points by black women. And Lorraine Hansbury and just takes Let people take a look at here. This is who we're talking about. She'd be dead at thirty four years old and produced more than most people in a lifetime. And of course I got I didn't want to lose and miss out Gwendolyn Brooks at the poetry at the point I'm making as well, but to die at thirty four years old. She died January twelfth, nineteen sixty five, was the last funeral that Malcolm X attended. He was on the front row. Paul Robinson gave the eulogies the only time that Paul Robinson met Malcolm X, and Malcolm was very, very eager to meet Paul Roberson. But our dear sister was in the coffin at that particular church in Harlem in January nineteen sixty five. Malcolm, of course would die the next month. Both born the same day, but five years apart, uncome twenty five, she in nineteen thirty. So that when we're talking about Lorraine Hansbury, you're talking about this great, great wave in a grand, grand ocean. You mentioned her father, Carl, who was quite an activist, ended up in Mexico because of the racism in America, because of him his attempt to move into a white neighborhood and the ugly response, even gunshots cutting through the windows of his family. Nanny, his wife, who was Lorraine's mother, was also quite an activist. So Lorraine grew up in a context where she met du Boys when she was very young. She met Rose when she was very young, she met Duke was very young. She was like you and I in terms of just growing up in an ordinary black neighborhood, in the ordinary black church, in a black community. She actually had access to these giants as a very young person. She never went to college, but the college went through her Toversity of Wisconsin and then made her way up spending time in Mexico to New York to be a writer. So she has a special kind of calling. She had genius, and she had, as you noted before, commitment to writing, and especially in her twenties. She writes and Raisin in the sun, I mean that's and you're so right. She wrote many other praise LeBlanc's a critique of African colonialism. She wrote sign in Sydney Brusting's Window, which are no black characters at all, just all white and Jewish folk. She wrote, what's the use of flowers? Was the critique of waiting for the Beckett. She wrote a whole host of plays and essays to be Young, Gifted in Black, which is her collection of essays. It was just a classic, all before she thirty four years old. I keep coming back to that because she was so invested, she was so involved, She was willing to sacrifice to do what she was put here to do, put her pen to paper, and when she did. The world was shaken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, indelible. Mark. We are on our truth on truth Time, our teaching Thursday. We're talking about the life and the impact of Lorraine Hansberry, a playwright in many ways, of civil rights activists in her own right and revealing stories that really shift I just a love leader. We can say, you know that shifts consciousness and makes people uncomfortable. Yeah, she did that, and she absolutely changed the world. When we come forward, we'll continue our conversation. So glad again that you are here with us on this teach in Thursday on Truth Time with doctor Cornell West and Nina Turner. If you've missed any part of not only Teaching Thursdays, but any of our daily shows, make sure you download the Kate BLA fifteen eighty app. You gotta do that, the KBLA Talk fifteen eighty app. And wherever you get your podcast, you can catch us and our colleagues. The whole network is just teeming with brilliance and you can watch us, or you can catch us on YouTube too, or the two. As my grandson likes to say. We're talking about Lorraine Hansbury, a playwright, a leader through through through the through the not just the written word, but having her works come to life on stage, which is indeed a beautiful thing. En it up self. She made history winning the New York Critics Award the youngest and the only deck I got to check. I don't know if she was the first. Was she the first black person to win it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, the first black person to win the New York Critics Award, which is a very big deal her her most the work she is most famous for is A Raisin in the Sun, and she wrote it was really titled the Crystal Stare, That's what I was the original title of it. A play about a struggling black family in Chicago, which was later renamed or Raisin in the Sun, a line from one of my favorite poets, Langston Hughes. Oh my god, who you know? Cleveland? Cleveland got Legston Hughes all up in us? But that poem and the play opened at the Barrymore the fo Barrymore Theater on March eleventh, nineteen fifty nine, and was a great success, and it had a run of over five hundred and thirty performances. People were on fire about this play. It was the first play produced on Broadway by an African American woman nineteen fifty nine. That it took a long time, but she broke that barrier.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right, and she did it on her own terms. That's very, very important because it could have been a number of plays that had been used.
Speaker 1: When.
Speaker 2: Edited, imundated by folk that tried to curtail the power of the play. But Raising in the Sun was a play written by a free black loved herself, who respected herself and required the White way, which is what Broadway was required, the White way to respect Black talent. Yeah, that's very important, very important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, oh my god. Yeah, to do and especially in nineteen fifty nine, to be able to do something of this magnitude on your own terms. I mean even in twenty twenty five, Black people find it incredibly difficult most of the time to do things on our own terms. That does not get us a psychologically bruised. So just in Langston Hughes's poem Harlem, I want to Yeah, it's a very short poem, and you can feel the emotions of that poem. It's short and it's powerful. What happens to a dream deferred? Does it dry up like a raisin in the sun, or fester like a sore and then run. Does it stink like rotten meat or crust and sugar over like a syrupiece. Maybe it just SAgs like a heavy low or does it explodes? So that is Lengthston Hughes's poem, Harlem, what happens to a dream? You know the first the first stands of what happens to a dream deferred? And that is a seminal question. That is a question for a lifetime. What happens to a dream deferred?
Speaker 2: That's exactly right in many ways, it's the history of black people in America.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, sir, constantly asking that question and constantly being put in positions where our dreams are deferred generationally. So you know, no exaggeration about that. And this nation has never been able to one come to grips with the fact that it is because of the structure of this nation that Black people find themselves generationally having to constantly ask themselves that question and answer it. We answer over and over. We know what happens to dream deferd? You're lynched, you know your chattel, you live in Jim Crow, debt, peinage, sharecropping, red lining, lack of generational wealth. Can't get in the C suites unless you're cleaning the C suites. Oh, we know utality, a political system that continues to churn on our backs and our bodies. We know what happens to a dream deferred.
Speaker 2: Powerful. That's powerful, that's eloquent. That's exactly right. And part of the two has to do with exactly what the dream is. You see, when Martin King said he had a dream, he didn't say my dream, it is it dream? He said, my dream is rooted the American dream. That's a dialectical critique of the American dream. The American dream is a materialistic dream, obsessed with status and position, whereas the dream for black freedom includes the poverty. Yes, there is a certain prosperity for everybody, but it's not an obsession. It's not a fetishizing or an idolizing of just material things. It's about self respect. It's about self esteem, it's about self regard. It's about quality of community. It's about the right kinds of relationships so that human beings power and flourish. That has a spiritual and a moral dimension to it. That talk about the American dream doesn't have at all, is he Trump living the American dream? He's a thorough going gangster. You don't have a spiritual either, now a bone of spirituality and morality in his body. But he's a success. And so that, Uh, when when when? When? When? When? When? When? Lorraine Hensbery, Lorraine Hansbury is talking about raising in the sun and the dream deferred. You know, her dream coming out of the Black freedom struggle is in no way the same or identical with the mainstream American dream. But it's still a dream. Yeah, still a dream, but it has elements in terms of yes, we want prosperity, Yes we want to be able to live life with a certain kind of decency, but at that deeper level of character and integrity, honesty and decency. That that's what Walter was all about in that play when when the mama and his mama looks at him and says, we used to talk about freedom. Now everybody only talks about money. Yeah, nineteen fifty nine, she said. We used to talk about self respect, and we used to talk about helping each other. We used to talk about a sense of community. Now it's just this isolated individualism and careerism and opportunism and noncistism. Now that's that mama, who herself again didn't go to college, but at least two colleges went through her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ain't that the truth? Doctor, It's I mean, we use the term wrestle with and brother Tavis uses that too. I think that is a beautiful, simple description of what black people have to do on every level of society, and certainly Lorraine Hansbury captures that in her works, and particularly in The Raisin in the Sun. As we were coming forward, talked about the fact that she's the granddaughter of free enslaved persons, and I mean, most black people track their lineage right there, you know, right there, and you know her her father was, her father was a successful real estate broker. Oh yeah, And this part is important because black people are disproportionately impoverished. Sometimes we forget that there were very successful, very middle class, upper middle class of black people are running the world, so to speak. They were, and they were there, and a lot of them donated to the causes of black uplift because if they didn't do it, nobody else would. And your point about what the mother the character, the mother character said, I often say that black people have picked up other people's bad habits. And that's pretty much what encapsulates what the mother was saying. We used to talk about this. Now all we care about is that we used you know. So yeah, we have picked up other people's bad habits and it reaks havoc on our community. We can't be like everybody else. I no, I don't wish that we could, because we the most emulated people on the planet, But in terms of how they get over, society don't let us get over in the same way. So we just cannot. It's an immutable fact. I think it's always going to be that way. It's similarly people like doctor WB the Boys and Nina Simone and so many others who knew that they had to leave this place because their souls were being stripped. Doc every single second in this country, the souls of black people are being stripped. Fight. I mean we fight. We're resilient, We're definitely resilient as hell. But it is tiring. It is exhausting to have to do that all the time.
Speaker 2: Oh, that is so very true. That is so very true. And she talked about this a lot in her journals in terms of even as a middle class woman who decided to be in solidarity with the poor. She moved right here to New York and became associate editor of the Freedom Journal that was edited by Louis Burnham, but it was produced by Paul Robison, and basically became not just a socialist but a revolutionary socialist. And so she would talk about how spiritually it was so difficult to be able to sustain herself even though she gained strength from black people. She gained strength from black culture, she gained strength from black music. That we made the point before that she was a godmother of Lisa, who was the daughter of Nina Simone. Deep connection to two giants and geniuses, right dead, good call might. But she's there with the boys. She's said the boy. She's close to Paul Robson. She goes to Uruguay when Robson's passport is taking away. You can't leave the country. He asked her to do it for him, which means to court. The FBI is on her like well on right and black on coal, back on coal and wet on water.
Speaker 1: I mean, just the trauma, it's it's uh, it's immeasurable, the trauma. Just the trauma. So her you know, going back to her narratives to her father is it's a real estate broker. And her mother was a school teacher. A lot of black women, you know, that profession forced to be domestics disproportionately, definitely being a school teacher very honorable, very noble, very highly respected, as it should be even to this day. And they were viciously attacked. Doc, I think you started talking about that. I want to lay out the frame a little more, a little deeper. In nineteen thirty eight, Hansbury's family moved to a white neighborhood. Now why the neighborhood got to be a white neighborhood, But I digress. I'm gonna put that in the parking lot. We know they moved to a white neighborhood and because just because of their very presence, they didn't do anything wrong, they were attacked, stock attacked. They moved into a neighborhood that they can afford to live in, and the white folks of that neighborhood attacked them just because they're black. So they moved into this neighborhood. They wanted them out, you know, you got to go, and they refused. They stood strong, They stood in the strength of blackness, and then a court ordered them to move. See I want them to system it. The system forced him to move.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, doctor, But then it went all the way to the Supreme Court, year after year at and by the time it hit the Supreme Court, you know, the damage had already been done. That the fou left the country, said he want nothing to do with America and moved to Mexico and had dropped dead in Mexico. So she would say white supremacy helped kill my f He was so deeply Republican party operative. He was deeply invested in America. But it broke his heart. It broke his heart, and I think that radicalized her as Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could see it in her works. And that Supreme Court case that you're referring to, Hansbury Hansbury versus Lee, Uh, it ended up, but the damage was already done to the hand very family. That's why we fight, do you and you talk? You and I We gotta fight today for ourselves. We're fighting for the past, and we're also fighting for tomorrow. Even though this ruling didn't necessarily it the the damage was already done. But in the ruling restrictive they ruled restrictive covenants or illegal because of that case. Stop because of that case. And even in the city of Cleveland, the city of Shaker, which is a suburban community of Cleveland, they had restrictive covenants. No black people, no Jewish people. They even have barriers that because the community, the Cleveland community that I live in, that I grew up in a butt Shaker, right, and they put on the side street doc these barriers so that you couldnot cross over into Shaker, the city of Shaker, from Cleveland on the resididential streets. Wow, oh yeah, oh yeah. And this is really like this was during my you know, the seventies eighties, during my childhood. Like this, this is real. So the whole and then the whole Shaker Square, which is historic, the whole notion of Shaker, restrictive covenants, all up in the deeds, all up in the des not you know, we're not talking one hundred, two hundred years ago. Wow, wow, less than sixty years ago. Is wild, I mean, just absolutely wild. So Hansbury Hansbury, the Lee ruling. The Supreme Court finally did rule that restrictive covenants were illegal. But again, look at how many dreams were deferred before we got there. You're listening to Truth Time with doctor Cornell West and Nina Turner on our Teaching Thursday, lifting up the life of Legacy the brilliance of playwright Lorraine Hansbury. You are listening to Truth Time with doctor Cornell West and Nina Turner on Our Teacher on Thursday. We're talking about the brilliance of Lorraine Hansbury, the playwright, a woman who accomplished so much in a very very short time on this earth. Her very existence was revolutionary, as it is for most black people, and she got an opportunity to leave an indelible mark on the world through her works. She was born on May nineteenth, nineteen thirty, in Chicago, Illinois, and she passed away on January the twelfth, nineteen sixty five, in New York. So, Doc, her family, you know, highly middle class still, you know, going back to that point about her father, her mother being a teacher, her father being a real estate broker and highly successful. It really just shows that money does not shield black people from the pain of being black.
Speaker 2: That's true. That's true, and that having money does not impede one from being in solidarity with folk who have no money pro choices. She made political choices. She made idiot choices. That was a kind of what Huey Newton would call a class suicide. It's like Martin King. He could have remained middle class, but he decided to be in solidity with folk who were broke as the Ten Commandments financially. And that is a life very much of Lorraine Hansbury, that she chooses to be a revolutionary. Yeah, she really does. You see it now, just work. You see it in her activism. When she was asked to go to the White House representing Snicks, she ended up telling off to Kennedy's and telling them that they had no sense of what was going on in the world. That she was going to stand for the students who that they were trashing there in the White House. Is very famous exchange that she had with the with the White House advisor. She was standing in the name of Stokely Carmichael and Diane Nash. Very close of course to James Baldwin, his famous essay Sweet Lorraine. I would highly recommend that the people you want to read with the best of James Baldwin. It's his tribute to Lorraine Hansbury called sweet Lorraine. And Baldwin himself was also there and was very uh, I mean, he was just proud to be in the room with Lorraine. But she had to tell off the Kennedy's and actually ended the meeting while out on them in the White House. That's a rare thing to have black folks just to walk out on president and vice presidents and attorney generals. Most black folks so happy to be in the White House. They cow towing and help when they get in there.
Speaker 1: You know, Ain't that the truth?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what a powerful statement for her to dramatically. I love a flair for drop for the dramatic to get up and walk out on these folks knowing they don't mean they don't mean business, they don't stand on business as we say today. Wow. Just God bless her for that. And you know, her parents they were very generous, as a lot of upper middle class Black people were, because we knew that we really were all that we had, and so they made donations, certainly to two of our legacy organizations, one being the NAACP, any other being the Urban League.
Speaker 2: Know that with her father, of course, was official in both of those organizations before he left for Mexico. M m hmm, Well he left for Mexican. Lorraine herself was probably a little bit too revolutionary for both of those organs.
Speaker 1: I think just a little bit.
Speaker 2: John Henry Clark and Paul Robinson and the others, and de Bois and others, that that was much more consistent with her revolutionary spirit than the Urban League of NAACP.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I thank God for that revolutionary spirit. Now, her family is I understand how the tradition of going to southern uh, southern Black colleges, and she decided not to do that. She broke with that tradition, and she attended the University of Wisconsin and Madison, and while at school, she changed her major from painting to writing, and after two years she decided to drop out. And then that's when she moved to New York. You talk about what I take from that is really being attuned to hearing what you're calling could be, instead of getting stuck in what you're doing, which could be. But she was very open to what her spirit was telling her she should do, and thank god.
Speaker 2: She did absolutely, And that takes courage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it does. And she attended the New School and we both are love and fans of the New School. You know, one of my colleagues was telling me that one of the reasons the New School was created was so that academics could go have a place to go and be free in their academia. And just thinking about that, the irony of that, the founders of the New School saying that we have to have academics, people in the academy who are free to teach, who are free socially politically. And now you fast forward to what's happening now where you have President Donald J. Trump and his entire administration attacking higher education, the critical thinking, the freeness of what universities and colleges are supposed to be about.
Speaker 2: That's true. I mean, the New School was founded mainly from Columbia University who were fired from Columbia because of their dissonant voices. They were fired because they're critical of the war. They were excluded. That tenure was called in the question. And then you had the Jewish refugee intellectuals who are escaping jew hating Europe led by the Nazis, And so the New School became a site for not just free speech and freedom of expression, but the most radical dissenting voices in the academy on the East Coast that were joined by the Jewish refugee intellectuals who were escaping Nazism and fashion them. The New School has a very, very rich tradition, it really does. It's a very rare institution. They're blessed to have you as a singing fellow, is.
Speaker 1: I am a senior fellow, and I feel blessed to have them and to understand that rich tradition. I'm thinking, Yeah, this is the place for me and Doc. I know you, you've been you you were a you were a fellow, right? What did they call it? Was something? It wasn't like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gave a series of lectures there a couple of years ago that was kind of like a fellow in a way.
Speaker 1: They had another title for it. I remember reading about it and being so excited that you were at the New School too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, sister, Well Judas Butler also had a similar designation. But historically, I mean, the New School has always been in a place where there was an openness to radical dissenting voices, more so than almost any other place in the country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I hope they do not buckle under this bigotry. They got to understand their origins, why they exist, and say true to their mission to their caller for what a beautiful thing. So when she was there, she attended the New School for Social Research, and then she worked for and you mentioned this earlier, the great Paul Robinson's progressive black newspaper Freedom as a writer and associate editor. And she did that for about three years from nineteen fifty nineteen fifty three. She also worked part time as a waitress and a cashier and wrote in her spare time. So although her parents were upper middle class, she was forging her own way, her own way economically, that is what she was doing. By nineteen fifty six, Hansbury quit her jobs and admitted her time to writing. In nineteen fifty seven she joined the Daughters of built not Shire from Pronouncing that Right and contributed letters to their magazine, The Latter about feminism and homophobia, so ahead of her time on that as well. Her lesbian identity was exposed in the articles, but she wrote under her initials LH for fear of discrimination. And it is the same fear discrimination that our sisters and brothers and family and friends in that community. The LGBTQ plus community are often under even to this day, so just revolutionary in every way. You're listening to True Time with doctor Cornell Weston Nina Turner on our Teaching Thursday lifting up the life and the legacy of Lorraine Hansbury, playwright and Trailblazer. When we return, we'll contay, yes, this is the our teaching Thursday day. We're lifting up the life of Lorraine Hansbury, playwright, trail blazer, shaking things up. She was born on May nineteenth, nineteen thirty in Chataw that is, Chicago, Illinois, and she passed away on January to twelfth, nineteen sixty five, in New York, New York. But what she did between that dash in her very short lifetime, most people would not do in like one hundred lifetimes. We are so blessed that God saw fit to put her on this earth, even if it was for a short time. And the fact that she found her purpose and her calling and she used it in a way to uplift that. What are some of the other points about her and also the legacy of her work that we should bring forward today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that one of the things that's crucial about Lorraine Hansbury was that she was the thing today into black culture and the Western tradition at the same time, meaning that she in her plays, for example, you could see her wrestling with from sofolkles to Samuel Beckett on the one hand and spirituals, blues and jazz on the other. You might remember the Moments and Raising in the Sun. Will Walter grabs Leana and they start dancing too the jazz records, and then you go into the kitchen and Mama's singing, I don't feel no ways tired. He's down and goes to the jazz club and says, the only person that understands me in the whole world is that brother blowing that saxophone in the minor key, living a life of dissonance. That black people have made dissonance a way of life. So she's grounded in the lived experience of black people, but she's also pulling from the Shakespeares and from the Irish writers, and from the Russian writers and so forth. She has an internationalism and a cosmopolitanism that is really quite powerful, and I think that continues to speak to a lot of the young writers today. Tony Marshall is the same way, of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that indelible market in some ways. You know, thinking about Nina Simone who classically trained pianists, you know they drawn from all of these different talents and but very African at the same time, like they're not running from the beauty of blackness, that's right. Bringing in all this other stuff. It's like it's like making some gumbo.
Speaker 2: It as it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. So definitely a playwright. You know that New York Critics Circle award the first to do it, just making history. As anybody who was watched Star Trek would understand this at warp warp speed because the die so young and the dude accomplished so much. She was moving at warp warp speed. In nineteen sixty three, Hansbury became active in the civil rights movement. Again. You could see that in her works. And I don't think that she had a choice because her parents. It was in her you know, she couldn't deny that if she wanted to, and she was with she had the opportunity to be around you know, some very influential people at that time, the Harry Belafontes, at Lena Horns, the James Ballwins, you know, all of that kind of stuff. She had an opportunity to meet with then Attorney General Robert Kennedy to test his position on civil rights. Hello, somebody to test his position, not just to be around him, thinking it was a privilege to be around him. No, he was privileged to be around her to test his position on civil rights. God, Lorraine Hansbury. This Truth Time with doctor Cordonell West and Nina Turner. When we come forward, we will continue in our remaining moments, this riveting, riveting dialogue about Lorraine Hansbury. You are listening the Truth Time with doctor Corne West and Nina Turner. We are talking about the life, the legacy, the indelible mark that the one and only Lorraine Hansbury made on this world in such a short period of time. Doct this is our last you know, four minutes here as we were coming forward, or before we came forward, we were talking about her souljoerm within the civil rights movement, being surrounded by so many giants. I mean, she was a giant also in her own right, Harry Belafonte, Lena Horne, James Baldwin, and the fact that when she met Robert Kennedy, she was there, not the hobnob, not to take pictures. The post on social media did not exist at that time, but she was there to test his position ship on civil rights. Hello, somebody.
Speaker 2: She went in to question and interrogate, not simply to ingratiate power. Come on against power. It's no accident that she would spend the latter years of her life actually writing about the Haitian Revolution of player. Never finished writing about the character that the boy said it was his favorite character of all time, du Saint lou Tousin. Yes, somebody who had that spirit of Tucson, the spirit of Fanny Lou Haimer, the spirit of Nat Turner, the spirit of Harriet Tupman, the spirit of Gabrier Brosa. She was a rebel, there's nohing about it.
Speaker 1: With a calls going a little more deeply into her life and many thanks to biography dot com. She met Robert Nima or hawf Yeah, Jewish songwriter on the picket line, and.
Speaker 2: She's like Wonderland Brooks in terms of part of the great Black literary tradition, that great tradition.
Speaker 1: Doc, we and we appreciate and love her so much. This is Truth Time with doctor Cornel West and Nina Turner Live on Purpose,